PDA

View Full Version : Welcome oblivion - DVD-Video disc

TSOLfan
03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
I thought for sure I had an account here from years ago, though, couldn't login, and my typical alias was still available, so new member here (and been gone a long time).

Back when Ghosts and The Slip were released in high resolution FLAC, I built a DVD-Video disc for my own personal use. Since the DVD-Video spec supports 24-bit/96khz audio files, it seemed the obvious way to play the files (and I had matched up the Blu-ray art from Ghosts and the track art from The Slip at the time).

I decided to do the same thing with Welcome oblivion.

I ripped the track art with MP3tag for the JPG stills (and then resized):

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

And used lplex to build my DVD-Video disc:

http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/index.html

Once I was done, though, I actually started over with different artwork. I chose instead to use the 16:9 wallpapers (resized to 720x480, the DVD spec), matching up 3 through 15 with tracks 1 through 13 (which were the ones without the band name or logo, except for some reason 12, though, I edited it out just for consistency).

I figured I might not be the only person interested in doing this, so I thought I'd share my lplex script (just copy/paste into notepad, save with the .lplex extension in the same folder as your FLAC and jpgs, and then drag/drop .lplex file onto the lplex EXE in the folder you extracted lplex to).

#!/usr/local/bin/lplex -P 1

# lplex version 0.3-x64
# Project : foo_DVD
# Layout is roughly 2313 MB (DVD+R/RW is 51% full)

# Settings:

--name=WelcomeOblivion
--md5aware=yes
--infoFiles=yes
--splice=seamless
--shift=backward
--create=iso
--media=dvd+r
--cleanup=yes
--jpeg=black
--verbose=no
--editing=no

# VIDEO_TS

# Title 1 - (24 bit 96 khz 2 ch / 720x480 16:9)

jpgw="01 The wake-up.jpg"
"01 The wake-up.flac"
jpgw="02 Keep it together.jpg"
"02 Keep it together.flac"
jpgw="03 And the sky began to scream.jpg"
"03 And the sky began to scream.flac"
jpgw="04 Welcome oblivion.jpg"
"04 Welcome oblivion.flac"
jpgw="05 Ice age.jpg"
"05 Ice age.flac"
jpgw="06 On the wing.jpg"
"06 On the wing.flac"
jpgw="07 Too late, all gone.jpg"
"07 Too late, all gone.flac"
jpgw="08 How long.jpg"
"08 How long.flac"
jpgw="09 Strings and attractors.jpg"
"09 Strings and attractors.flac"
jpgw="10 We fade away.jpg"
"10 We fade away.flac"
jpgw="11 Recursive self-improvement.jpg"
"11 Recursive self-improvement.flac"
jpgw="12 The loop closes.jpg"
"12 The loop closes.flac"
jpgw="13 Hallowed ground.jpg"
"13 Hallowed ground.flac"

foo.lplex

TSOLfan
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
If there's interest in me sharing my JPG files (again, I seriously just used the wallpapers folder, resized and retitled 03 through 15), I guess I could upload a zip (assuming that's legal, not sure what copyrights there are on the JPG files, if any).

UninTY
03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
all the old accounts were purged with the switch to the new board, a couple years ago.

TSOLfan
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
all the old accounts were purged with the switch to the new board, a couple years ago.

Just goes to show how desensitized I've become to banners and whatnot, didn't even notice the yellow banner at the top that basically says that exact same thing (that's only visible when not logged in).

theimage13
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
If it's cool to have the jpegs uploaded here, I'd love to see them. I bought the CD version from Amazon, so the only artwork I have is what came in the booklet.

TSOLfan
03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
From this post:

http://blog.destroyangels.com/post/44662530260/how-to-destroy-angels-welcome-oblivion

Last one is wallpaper 1, then the 1st is 2, 4th is 3, 2nd is 4, 6th is 5.

Then skip to this post:

http://blog.destroyangels.com/post/44768578058/how-to-destroy-angels-welcome-oblivion

6th one is wallpaper 6, back to the first link and 5th one is 7, oddly enough, wallpaper 8 isn't on either of those pages, 5th one from the second link is wallpaper 9, 3rd from the 1st link is wallpaper 10, 9th one from the 1st link is wallpaper 11, 9th one from the second link is wallpaper 12, 8th one from the first link is wallpaper 13, 8th one from the second link is wallpaper 14, 9th one from the second link is wallpaper 15, wallpaper 16 isn't on either page (and is one with the band name) and the last wallpaper, 17 is the last image from the second link.

And, that took more time that it was probably worth.

jmtd
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
This is awesome, thanks. I think I will follow your recipe, when I have the time. If I do and you haven't beaten me to it, I'll collate the resized photos in a ZIP somewhere.

TSOLfan
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
This is awesome, thanks. I think I will follow your recipe, when I have the time. If I do and you haven't beaten me to it, I'll collate the resized photos in a ZIP somewhere.

I can easily upload mine, though, I wasn't sure if there were any copyrights associated with the wallpapers, hence why I held off.

jmtd
03-12-2013, 03:11 AM
I can easily upload mine, though, I wasn't sure if there were any copyrights associated with the wallpapers, hence why I held off.

I don't think it's something to worry about: they were released for free in the first place, the resized versions are just a sort of derivation, much like Google (or Bing) Images does.

Edit: I just realised, since I bought the vinyl version, my digital copy is a CD rip and I don't have the embedded album art. I must rectify this! Until such time as ninwiki has the embedded art listed, I am scouring the torrent sites to see if any have the right stuff. I suspect they don't.

TSOLfan
03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't think it's something to worry about: they were released for free in the first place, the resized versions are just a sort of derivation, much like Google (or Bing) Images does.

Then lets see how this goes:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u6wp0a0fzq02sad

That is my resized wallpapers renamed to match the FLAC file names along with my lplex script. So, basically, download and extract lplex, extract my zip file into the same folder as your .FLAC and then drag and drop my .lplex file onto the lplex EXE, and it will fire up a command prompt and you can watch the magic happen.

When it's done, you'll have a .ISO file you can burn with any software (such as ImgBurn, which is free), as well as a VIDEO_TS folder that you can play in VLC (which is also free).

TSOLfan
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
I just realised, since I bought the vinyl version, my digital copy is a CD rip and I don't have the embedded album art. I must rectify this! Until such time as ninwiki has the embedded art listed, I am scouring the torrent sites to see if any have the right stuff. I suspect they don't.

I purchased the vinyl version as well (that has yet to arrive), and I received the link for my digital download, and downloaded both the FLAC and MP3 options. I downloaded the MP3's for the art, but then realized that the FLAC files had the artwork as well.

I can upload that art as well, though, will take a bit longer to upload (each track art is a PNG file that's about 5MB).

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 08:33 AM
I'll get on the image uploads now - don't forget the official .gif too!
http://destroyangels.com/images/oblivion.gif

jmtd
03-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I purchased the vinyl version as well (that has yet to arrive), and I received the link for my digital download, and downloaded both the FLAC and MP3 options. I downloaded the MP3's for the art, but then realized that the FLAC files had the artwork as well.

I can upload that art as well, though, will take a bit longer to upload (each track art is a PNG file that's about 5MB).

I got my vinyl from a local shop so I missed out on a digital download.

I would love a copy of the embedded art, but I don't want to trouble you too much :) turns out most of the warez copies floating around are just rips from the pitchfork stream, transcoded to a higher rate too!

TSOLfan
03-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I would love a copy of the embedded art, but I don't want to trouble you too much :)

I zipped it up and you can grab it from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nic141wlbzpy6q1

If you have the official FLAC or MP3 files, you already have this art. Just use MP3tag (mentioned in my first post, that you should have already because it's a fantastic piece of free software) to extract the art.

jmtd
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you, that's great.

Sorry I've been a bit thick. Because I bought the physical copy from a store, I got the CD thrown in, but no download code. So in fact I only have the 16/44.1 quality music, not 24/96. Also, you're right that the wallpapers are a better choice for the DVD- backdrop than the embedded artwork. I am reconsidering stuffing the artwork into my own ripped/encoded tracks, simply because my PMP can handle 72G of music, it's already quite stuffed and 60M of PNGs is another album - perhaps the new Bowie, for instance :)

However I am considering buying the HD audio and following your recipe anyway, because it's awesome, and I quite like the idea of doing something similar for other releases.

On that note - you mention you did something similar for Ghosts. Did you by any chance share a 24/96 rip (BR rip) of Ghosts? I'm interested in tracking down the original source of a rip that showed up on archive.org, without any lineage info.

Cheers!

TSOLfan
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
On that note - you mention you did something similar for Ghosts. Did you by any chance share a 24/96 rip (BR rip) of Ghosts? I'm interested in tracking down the original source of a rip that showed up on archive.org, without any lineage info.

What I produced was for my own personal use, and I didn't share it. I used the .FLAC files from my purchase (I bought the limited edition vinyl boxset), and another Echoing the Sound member at the time had posted the track images from the Blu Ray that was included, so I used those images since they were 16:9 instead of the 4:3 embedded track art. I didn't have a Blu Ray player, so building one of these DVD Video/Audio discs was my only real method of playing back the high resolution digital audio.

ScreamingSlave
03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know how we can get a 24/96 copy of the 2 bonus tracks I purchased the album + HD download bundle will there be a way to get the 2 extra tracks in HQ ?

gorast
03-18-2013, 11:17 AM
The highest quality you'll be able to get is what you can pull from the CD.

ScreamingSlave
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
:( thats what i figured its unfortunate that they don't include HQ bonus tracks for those of us that purchased the vinyl

TSOLfan
03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
My vinyl copy arrived over the weekend, so I plan on simply ripping the tracks from the vinyl for my own personal use (when I rip my vinyl, I record at 24bit 96kHz).

Can't say when I'll actually get around to it. I threw the DVD together just for fun and as an interim fix until my vinyl arrived.