PDA

View Full Version : Trent's Obsession With The Twilight Zone?

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Yet again, on Welcome Oblivion, we seem to have a loose Twilight Zone reference in the song title "On the wing".

This is something I don't see discussed often, but has anyone else noticed the Twilight Zone references in Trent's more recent work? Here's a list off the top of my head:

"Where is everybody?" on The Fragile

"The four of us are dying" on The Slip

"On the wing" on Welcome Oblivion

Has Trent ever mentioned in interviews having been a Twilight Zone fan? I seem to recall one article some time ago mentioning that he had Twilight Zone tapes in the studio.

And has anyone noticed any other references, perhaps in song lyrics or elsewhere?

kenthebear
03-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Pop Will Eat Itself had numerous twilight zone references, Meat Beat Manifesto definitely dropped TZ samples, and I'm willing to bet there's a reference in some of Manson's lyrics.

So maybe it's just called 'being on nothing records'

botley
03-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Teitan reviewed one of the DVD box sets on Amazon... one of the 'Definitive NIN' torrents from his account on TPB had samples from a Twilight Zone episode woven into "All the Love in the World"...

Safe to say he's a fan. I guess Mariqueen is too because she wrote the HTDA lyrics and it's obviously about gremlins on the plane's wing and not, y'know, Angels.

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
"On the Wing" isn't the name of the episode though. On the wing is an idiom that literally means flying after all - I'd disagree with botley that it's about angels, but more about hopes being fleeting. Regardless, unless I totally misheard the lyrics and she's singing "I hear a gremlin on the wing", you're a bit crazy.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
"On the Wing" isn't the name of the episode though. On the wing is an idiom that literally means flying after all - I'd disagree with @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) that it's about angels, but more about hopes being fleeting. Regardless, unless I totally misheard the lyrics and she's singing "I hear a gremlin on the wing", you're a bit crazy.

Yes, I agree. I think it's probably just as likely that the song happens to be called "On the wing". Still, I am betting the TZ reference ran through Trent's head :)

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
But he's not the band's lyricist...

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure I follow. He doesn't write lyrics for HTDA? All of the liner notes so far indicate "all songs written, performed, arranged by HTDA". I'm not saying he writes all of the lyrics himself, but since HTDA is a collaborative effort, then he's at least involved in the lyrics.

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah and "all art is by htda" means Rob plays an equal role to Atticus in the photography. Mariqueen is the chief lyricist with a bit of fiddling from the other three, at least that's the last thing we heard and there's no reason to assume otherwise. She is, after all, the frontperson of the band.

zecho
03-03-2013, 11:44 AM
one of the 'Definitive NIN' torrents from his account on TPB had samples from a Twilight Zone episode woven into "All the Love in the World"...

I just listened to it and didn't hear anything different. Where exactly are the samples at in the song?

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I found the article I mentioned remembering earlier. It's from Rolling Stone:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart121.shtml

"One of Reznor's engineers, a stocky Colombian fellow, answers the door. A wide staircase leads up to a large second-floor room where, presumably, bodies once lay for wakes. Today it is filled with vintage arcade games: Robotron, Tempest, Space Invaders. The first-floor living room boasts a worn-in black leather couch, a large TV, a larger video collection (Twilight Zone episodes, John Waters' entire oeuvre) and the six-foot canvases by artist Russell Miller that were photographed for The Downward Spiral's artwork."

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I found one more reference in Legends Magazine interview:

http://www.legendsmagazine.net/54/artdark.htm

"Trent boards the coach carrying a plastic shopping bag. He has bought seven Twilight Zone videos. In the copious video library on board are all the Planet of the Apes films except for the fourth, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. They've been looking for it everywhere"

Hahaha. I especially liked the bit about Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. "They've been looking for it everywhere".

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
No one is denying Trent likes the show (it's a damn good show, I've been a fan since I was a kid). But HTDA has seemingly no connection to it, the only song you've so far drawn a connection to clearly is not about the episode you think it is.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I mentioned earlier that I actually agree with you after re-listening and thinking about it. :)

slave2thewage
03-03-2013, 03:59 PM
OMG, Trent loves John Waters' movies. HE SHOULD HAVE MARRIED ME INSTEAD!

NIN64
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
one of the 'Definitive NIN' torrents from his account on TPB had samples from a Twilight Zone episode woven into "All the Love in the World"...

Holy shit! How did I miss that? Just pulled out that MP3. . . Mind blown. . . Not to derail this runaway train of a thread, but is there anymore info as to what episode the sample is from?

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
HOLY CRAP. I thought you guys were just making crap up, but sure enough it's there. I'll try to figure out what episode it's from.

ItsJustDave
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
OMG, Trent loves John Waters' movies. HE SHOULD HAVE MARRIED ME INSTEAD!

Aren't we done with this meme by now? :P

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
whoa what? Is this ONLY in the version released in that torrent? What the hell else is different in that torrent?!

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
So this sample is extraordinarily buried and difficult to make out. What's odd is it is definitely only on the Definitive NIN cut of the track.

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I think ninwiki need some additions: http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_Deep_Cuts

What time does it pop up in the song? I'm downloading now. Might as well compare every track to the official studio ones to see if there is any variance.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
whoa what? Is this ONLY in the version released in that torrent? What the hell else is different in that torrent?!

My thoughts exactly.

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I can't access TPB (country block), so if anyone feels like sending the file, dat'd be cool. Also this should probably be moved to NIN's forum

problem solved, thanks

NIN64
03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I just listened to it and didn't hear anything different. Where exactly are the samples at in the song?
It's there right from the beginning of the track. Very quiet, and embedded underneath. Some other voice talking... Turn up the volume and you'll hear it.

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
I can't access TPB (country block), so if anyone feels like sending the file, dat'd be cool. Also this should probably be moved to NIN's forum

MAGNET LINK (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5c2ff1b7c0213801dda696ef84507 5d91e875996&dn=Nine+Inch+Nails+-+The+Definitive+NIN+Complete+Collection&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80)

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
It's there right from the beginning of the track. Very quiet, and embedded underneath. Some other voice talking... Turn up the volume and you'll hear it.
Yup, it stands out more right when trent starts signing

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Link won't work :\

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Link won't work :\

I fucked it up. Should work now.

zecho
03-03-2013, 06:01 PM
I hear it. Wow, how the hell did you catch that, botley? And how do you know it's from The Twilight Zone?

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Someone with an Audacity thingy should probably be extracting it right about now...

slave2thewage
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Aren't we done with this meme by now? :P
Look at the front of the queues at the HTDA shows next month and see if it's dead. I'm dying to know if the fangirls are still bitter or not.

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Wow, it looks like the audio is inverted from the original. It's almost like this was intended to be combined with the original to easily hear the difference! :)

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/ATLITW-20130303-161124.jpg

NIN64
03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Look at the front of the queues at the HTDA shows next months and see if it's dead. I'm dying to know if the fangirls are still bitter or not.

I sure hope they aren't. That's some real sad behavior. . .

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Someone with an Audacity thingy should probably be extracting it right about now...
anxiously waiting!
My original copy is too shitty to pull off a proper cancelation :(

ItsJustDave
03-03-2013, 06:31 PM
I hear it. Wow, how the hell did you catch that, botley? And how do you know it's from The Twilight Zone?

The ETS hive mind chewed through these back when they first popped up. As far as I can recall, this was the only difference.

Wow, it looks like the audio is inverted from the original. It's almost like this was intended to be combined with the original to easily hear the difference! :)

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/ATLITW-20130303-161124.jpg

Nice catch. I don't know that this ever occurred to anyone back when it first came out. (This was pre-ARG) If someone applies the overlay and gets decent results, please share.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Alright folks: SOLVED

The sample is *indeed* from The Twilight Zone.

Episode: "When The Sky Was Opened"

"It's like I didn't belong here, like if I was to let myself go... like I'd disappear"

I finally isolated out the vocals and was able to make out the full thing.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Here's a link to the sample, as isolated as I could get it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjnu8pqbs7qn3is/twilight%20zone%20sample.m4a

:)

DigitalChaos
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
The ETS hive mind chewed through these back when they first popped up. As far as I can recall, this was the only difference.

Nice catch. I don't know that this ever occurred to anyone back when it first came out. (This was pre-ARG) If someone applies the overlay and gets decent results, please share.
Did we identify the source twilightzone episode back then?
I'm hoping that we actually found something new here.

thepresence0
03-04-2013, 06:03 AM
If it was discovered before, no one ever bothered to put it up on the wiki. Definitely seems wiki worthy.

botley
03-05-2013, 03:31 PM
It was discovered by old-ETS board users almost IMMEDIATELY after the torrents came out, when people were still arguing over whether the torrents were "official" or not.

jmtd
03-12-2013, 03:19 AM
There’s 70 billion people on Earth, where are they hiding...?

I can't access TPB (country block), so if anyone feels like sending the file, dat'd be cool.

ukbay.org like everyone else!

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Huh, virgin blocked ukbay last month, but it's working again :\ - cheers

Also, there's 7 billion people :P

jmtd
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Also, there's 7 billion people :P

It's a quote from Cabaret Voltaire's "Yashar" from 1982 - the Cabs are an established influence on TR, and the quote is a sample taken from the Twilight Zone episode "Demon with a Glass Hand" (and the quote is 70 - quite a population inflation, I know! Good episode btw, shot entirely inside the Bradbury building made famous by Blade Runner. Also written by Harlan Ellison who later sued the Terminator producers for stealing ideas from that episode, and another. Ellison turns out to be a cock for a bunch of other reasons.)

FineFinchTails
03-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Yet again, on Welcome Oblivion, we seem to have a loose Twilight Zone reference in the song title "On the wing".

This is something I don't see discussed often, but has anyone else noticed the Twilight Zone references in Trent's more recent work? Here's a list off the top of my head:

"Where is everybody?" on The Fragile

"The four of us are dying" on The Slip

"On the wing" on Welcome Oblivion

Has Trent ever mentioned in interviews having been a Twilight Zone fan? I seem to recall one article some time ago mentioning that he had Twilight Zone tapes in the studio.

And has anyone noticed any other references, perhaps in song lyrics or elsewhere?

You forgot "Under the Midnight Sun".

n_gin9
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
they probably are