PDA

View Full Version : Rock'n'Heim Festival - seriously?

dominik
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Since this has now been confirmed by NIN, I have to ask.. are they fucking serious?

If anyone doesn't remember what happened during that infamous gig at the Frequency Festival in 2007, I will tell you.. NIN played between two german bands (and before "Die Ärzte", which are also playing at Rock'n'Heim) and during the NIN gig the crowd just yelled for the next band to come up, sat down and didn't give a shit, threw bottles at the stage, etc.. Trent got so pissed that he smashed some cameras and asked the crowd "so is there anybody who knows who the fuck we are?". Then he wrote on ETS in the tour thread that they shouldn't even have played there and that german festivals (or festivals around germany) generally suck. The band after NIN then talked shit about Trent and made fun of NIN during their gig.

So.. is the tour manager really that stupid or have they just forgotten about it? I can tell you that: If NIN and "Die Ärzte" share the same stage again on the same day, this NIN gig will be the same disaster as the Frequency gig.

tate the great
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Yeah, the booking politics of NIN always puzzled me. They played Frequency again at the Wave Goodbye Tour and there was a horrible thunderstorm that cut out all the electricity halfway through the gig. I had the chance to talk to Trent about it at the following concert in Berlin just a few days later and he didn't really seem to remember... So maybe it's an "out of sight, out of mind"-thing with him and German/Austrian festivals. Also, I do believe that the chances are quite high for them to play Frequency again this year. It's from the 15th - 17th of August, so just before the German festival. I just hope I can see them at Sziget in Budapest, to be honest.

EDIT: On the Ärzte website it says they will play on the 16th at Rock N Heim, NIN will play on the 18th. So they won't clash at least, I suppose...

Emil Dorbell
03-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I've got my hopes up for Roskilde. They played 22 songs there last time, and also seemed to have a pretty fantastic light show despite being a festival gig. Other than Roskilde, hmm... Sziget is pretty cool, right?

dlb
03-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I would have loved Trent to hit Hurricane/Southside again, since the crowd there has always been pretty appreciative of NIN. The only good thing so far about them playing Rock'n'Heim is that I have heard that DasDing is covering the whole festival which could lead to some decent soundboard audio or even video footage.

Oh and I love how they don't even mention NIN in the trailer video. Pure gold! :)

sheepdean
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I would imagine some stacks of green paper may have encouraged a return

SM Rollinger
03-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Straight from ninwiki.com
(http://www.ninwiki.com/2007/08/16_Salzburg,_Austria)

2007/08/16 Salzburg, Austria

The release of the timetable caused some discontent amongst Austrian and German Nine Inch Nails fans as Nine Inch Nails were to play between Beatsteaks and Die Ärzte, two German bands who are very close.
During "Something I Can Never Have (http://www.echoingthesound.org/Something_I_Can_Never_Have)" parts of the crowd in the wavebreaker started chanting "Wir wollen Die Ärzte sehen..." (We want to see Die Ärzte)
In a rare case, "Hurt (http://www.echoingthesound.org/Hurt_(song))" was not played at the festival due to hecklers.
Trent Reznor (http://www.echoingthesound.org/Trent_Reznor) called this concert "the worst performance and certainly the worst crowd of the whole tour by far." There are reports that people in the audience were on their phones while the band played, sat down in the wavebreaker and rude behavior in general from the crowd.
The following statement was posted in the Tour Journal at ETS (http://www.echoingthesound.org/):
The blame lies with us (NIN). We should never have been booked at that festival in that slot in the first place. Theresponsible booking agent had been replaced a while ago but some of his shitty bookings remain. It seems from time to time we get stuck in a festival slot that is unwinnable - playing in front of an audience thatdoesn't AND SHOULDN'T like us. Just so happens that seems to happen in and around Germany the most. We show up andsee band names we've never heard of (nor has anybody else 50 miles outside of Germany) and discover they're hugesomehow. Lesson learned!

Extract of the organiser's review of Frequency Festival 2007:
Am donnerstag ging es dann von den fans heiss her und speziell der wellenbrecher war heissbegehrt und DÄ fans habensich dort den ganzen tag nicht mehr weg bewegt... was dann ja bekanntlich trent nicht "so getaugt" hat. ich hattegehofft das alle fans auch bei NIN mit gehen würden aber das war dann leider nur teilweise so, allerdings war auchdas NIN set anfangs eher zäh... aber mir hat es gut gefallen.Translation:

On Thursday it heated up between the fans, especially a place in the wavebreaker was wanted and Die Ärzte-fansdidn't leave it the whole day... which wasn't really to Trent's pleasure. I've hoped that all fans would be totallyinto NIN as well, but unfortunately this was only partly like that, however: the NIN-set was a bit tough in thebeginning as well... but I liked it a lot.

RITC (and the drive, but i mite be wrong) has the boot, and according to the comments "the speech that Trent does during this show is worth getting this recording alone! "

the duder
03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I would imagine some stacks of green paper may have encouraged a return
Pretty sure this is the case; I think I read on here (or elsewhere) that the $$$ from doing a major european festival paid for most of the Wave Goodbye tour?

jaypayton
03-02-2013, 01:09 PM
roskilde 09 they played the same day as nick cave and faith no more...if they play roskilde again this year, they def wont have that great a lineup playing with them......

WorzelG
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
"We show up and see band names we've never heard of (nor has anybody else 50 miles outside of Germany) and discover they're huge somehow. Lesson learned!"

- speaking of people being big in Germany - wasn't David Hasselhoff a massive deal in Germany? So much so that he sang when the Berlin wall came down (or so I seem to remember). There's plenty of bands in the UK that are big but not so much internationally though

slave2thewage
03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I've said this in another thread, but IMO the money from these festival gigs will go into funding the headlining solo shows. I think I could put up with a bunch of drunk Germans with shitty taste in music just to fund my AWESOME TOUR OF AWESOME too.

sectial
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
you can't buy tickets for just 1 day at this festival.. That is strange otherwise i'd go the sunday after pukkelpop...