PDA

View Full Version : 2013.04.27 - Boston, MA @ House of Blues

Leviathant
02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
"House of Blues is a 2425 capacity venue that primarily books national touring acts."

bgalbraith
02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm planning to attend this show. It is worth noting that the HoB is right next to Fenway Park and there is a Red Sox home game the same evening, so plan accordingly.

They've listed the tickets now: http://www.houseofblues.com/tickets/eventdetail.php?eventid=79820

Venue tickets go on sale March 1st at 10am ET.
$35.00 - GA Standing Room
$50.00 - Reserved Seating

Tony
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
...there is a Red Sox home game the same evening, so plan accordingly.god dammit

otnavuskire
02-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Got my ticket!

bgalbraith
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Got tickets! Little slow at first when everyone hit it, but not bad.

Tony
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Apparently it sold out in 5 minutes? It's telling me that it doesn't have 4 tickets available ("

SORRY THIS ITEM IS NOT IN STOCK IN YOUR REQUESTED QUANTITY")

, and I tried purchasing them the first time at 12:05.

RJK
02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Apparently it sold out in 5 minutes? It's telling me that it doesn't have 4 tickets available ("

SORRY THIS ITEM IS NOT IN STOCK IN YOUR REQUESTED QUANTITY")

, and I tried purchasing them the first time at 12:05.

Ticketmaster is selling tickets right now.

FULLMETAL
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
My pre-sale cart was a bloody sieve, but at least ticketbastard came through in the end.

RJK
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
I said ticketmaster but meant livenation. But hell they're the same thing anyway.

jhulud
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Well. I bit on the TM/LN "pre-sale" and snagged two for the show. Hurrah!

Ash512
02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Got two during the presale. Hitting both Boston and Toronto.

princessomega
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
I am totally stoked to have tickets to this show...
woohoo
(sorry i had to release that)

bgalbraith
03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
It's still several weeks away, but I'll put this here now. As mentioned above, the Rod Sox have a home game at the same time as the concert. What this means to anyone coming in for the show is that traffic, parking, and public transit are going to become painful the closer you get to game time (7:10pm). It's also a Saturday night, so most of the bars surrounding the park are going to be packed.

Since doors open at 6pm, I'm guessing this won't be too bad for people coming in, but finding a quieter place for post-show drinks and reflection could be tough. For those of you driving in, you can actually get decent street parking relatively close by if you get there early enough. There are 2hr and even some 4hr parking meters ($1.25/hr) that end at 6pm, so if you get in around 4pm, you have a good shot at cheap, close parking.

jhulud
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Got my TM tix in the mail a couple of days ago. Now to book flight.

jessamineny
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
So, anyone know what the "VIP" balcony seats are like?

drgprfct
04-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone else is flying in from Europe? I got lucky with the plane tickets...

zaps30
04-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I procrastinated, but bought 2 tickets earlier this week. I'm really looking forward to it after the videos I've seen and I'm looking forward to DIIV, too. I'm not a huge fan of this HoB, but oh well. GA floor is the way to go here. The seats are far away.

theimage13
04-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Tickets are $1.00. One fucking dollar.

http://www.stubhub.com/how-to-destroy-angels-tickets/how-to-destroy-angels-boston-house-of-blues-boston-27-4-2013-4249599/

gorast
04-21-2013, 08:49 PM
What the fuck? If I lived in Boston I'd buy my whole family tickets.

jessamineny
04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Tickets are $1.00. One fucking dollar.

http://www.stubhub.com/how-to-destroy-angels-tickets/how-to-destroy-angels-boston-house-of-blues-boston-27-4-2013-4249599/

You still have to pay a $5 Stubhub fee, plus a $5 download fee.

But even so.

theimage13
04-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Fine. Tickets are $11.00. Eleven fucking dollars. :p To see THAT stage show with THOSE musicians (I'm not just talking about Trent here).

Oy. Normally I'd put in a "Boston gets all the luck" comment (my brother moved there for college and I've envied his concert experiences ever since). But after this past week...yeah, not the right time for that.

bobbie solo
04-22-2013, 01:00 AM
yeah, this is odd. i feel like such cheap tix means there just isn't much buzz now for the band after the initial fervor. im surprised. nyc area shows are pretty cheap too.

zaps30
04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Aren't sites like that for reselling of already purchased tickets? I'm not sure as I don't use those sites, but that's what I thought they were. If so, people either bought them with reselling in mind or are backing out and are trying to sell their tickets. I'm sure the place will be packed on Saturday.

theimage13
04-22-2013, 07:30 PM
StubHub is owned by LiveNation. Sure, it CAN be used for tickets that regular people actually purchased and need to sell. Or it can just be LiveNation with a different name.

ScreamingSlave
04-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Trying to get a crew going to film the Boston Show anyone interested please let me know we will need multiple angles and shots audio would also be a plus to have different sound angles maybe a 5.1 mix . Also looking for pro gear we could use or borrow for the evening all will be cared for properly and be treated with the utmost respect. PM me if interested Id like to get this nailed down fast and get a confirmation from ROb and Company that we have the go ahead hoping we can film the sound check as well :)

FYI I am willing If needed to front the $ for gear for the evening if we get the go ahead and cannot get the gear loaned.

Ash512
04-25-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm attending the show. Keep me posted!

ScreamingSlave
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Looks like we may need a few more Filmer's get in touch with me via PM if you are interested we are going to fill the gaps in the Chicago show with the footage and hopefully pull off our own full show release. :) reach out to me asap its coming up fast its this Saturday !!!!!

ScreamingSlave
04-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Looks like Boston is a no go :( sadly live nation charges for filming at HOB if you plan to film anyway be careful.

Ash512
04-26-2013, 08:26 AM
TOIOU/RITC VIDEO ROLL CALL

!!SHOW SPOILERS AHEAD!!

As you may or may not know, people from Reflecting In The Chrome and ThisOneIsOnUs got together to record and edit the Chicago show for an upcoming release. We shot the whole show with 5 high-end XDCAMs and two DSLRs and we are currently in the process of collecting any extra footage. As always with those projects, the more we have, the better. So we're going to call out for anyone who wants to record upcoming shows, here are a few tips to help make your footage match with ours if you'd like to contribute.

First of all, whereas we had passes and official permission to record the Chicago show, we cannot provide such help for upcoming shows. Some venues, like HoB in Boston, charge royalties for bands who want to record their shows. So it's even beyond the bands control. Although, for those who'll try to sneak in their gear anyway, read on :

We're going to try to refrain from using iPhone/Flip, etc footage and concentrate on higher end gear. You can still let us know if you shoot with those, but we can't promise we'll use it. However, if you've got a DSLR that shoots in 1080p (5D, 7D, 60D, etc), or a prosumer HD camcorder (Panasonic HVX-200/Sony EX1, EX3, FS100, NXCAM/etc), we're definitely takers!

Technical specs :
-Set EVERYTHING manually. No autofocus, no autoexposure, no auto white balance.
-DON'T EVER CUT : we need continuous shots of the entire show, including breaks between songs. If you cut, we'll have to manually resynch your video and that can be a pain in the ass, especially if you cut between each and every song. If for some reason you had to cut, let us know when you submit your footage.
-Record in 1920x1080, 24 frames per second, with the highest possible bitrate on your cameras.
-Use whichever Picture Profile's got the most dynamic range or manually set everything to neutral except contrast which you'll want to drop even more. If you shoot with a DSLR, I can't insist enough that you get Technicolor's CineStyle profile (https://www.technicolorcinestyle.com/forms/cinestyle-profile-download/). The image will look flat and lifeless but, trust us : that's what we need for color correction.
-Set & lock your white balance manually to 3200K. Don't try to make custom white balances with a sheet of white paper : these will always result in great difference between cameras for various reasons.
-Try to keep your ISO sensitivity as low as possible. It'd be best never to go over ISO 600. It probably won't be possible given the low light environment but keep that in mind anyway.
-Open your aperture as much as possible. Most Sony's will open up to f2.8 which is great for the lighting conditions.
-If you still don't have quite enough light, instead of boosting the ISO, you can slightly slow down the shutter speed (1/40 should be fine, but don't go below 1/30 or you'll get trails whenever there is movement).
-If your camera has such tools, I suggest you display your Histogram and your Peaking at all times. Histogram is a little graphic that shows which parts of the screen is over or underexposed. Slightly underexposed is okay, slightly overexposed is not okay in the digital world, so try to watch out for overexposure. Peaking will highlight all pixels that are sharp, which is going to make it much easier to focus especially on small LCD displays.
-If you are filming with a zoom from a single position for the entire show, zoom in as far as you can go, focus on the farthest thing you see. Everything in between will stay sharp and you won't have to worry again about focus.

-Try not to move around the venue too much. It's always better if you stay in one place and film from that spot the entire time. That way when we're editing, we're sure your angle will be usable at all times and won't have to worry that you're shaking or moving around. If you're zooming in or out and panning across the stage, make sure you stop long enough in between movements... In otherwords, don't just keep scanning and moving around : that's unusable. You want to make at least 30 seconds to a minute-long stops between each move for us to cut easily.
-If you've never heard of the Rule of thirds, read this carefully before going in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds). Try not to frame anything dead center unless you're filming a very wide shot. Always put your subject on one third of the image.

What we most need :
-Dynamic, handheld shots from the pit.
-Closeups. As per Rob's indication though : don't bother trying to get closeups when the band is hidden behind the screens. They are meant to be hidden, the show is all about video projections at those points. Ice age and Fur-lined, by exemple, will give you better opportunities to film the performers and zoom in real close.
-We'll still take everything else you shoot, though.

Postproduction :
-I will need you upload your original, uncompressed data (if you shoot with camcorders, I need the entire card structure and not just the video files) to your own DropBox account (or whichever hosting site you like, WeTransfer, etc) and then share it with me. If you record on cameras with higher bitrates like P2s, we might need you to send a HDD for which we might be able to cover shipping.
-My DropBox account for you to share your files with me : pp.chevigny-le.blanc@umontreal.ca
-When you submit your footage, make sure your mention your online screen name, your full name and address, cellphone number so we can keep in touch.

I think that's it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at either ones of those addresses :
ppchevigny@filmssix.com
pp.chevigny-le.blanc@umontreal.ca

Most importantly : enjoy yourselves!
-Pier-Philippe

thegoodsoldier87
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the information Ash512! Also for people who are shooting with a DSLR, remember that most have a limit to recording time, most Canon DSLRs will limit you to 12mins per shot when shooting at 1080. Also make sure your SD card is class 6 or higher.

bgalbraith
04-26-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm getting pretty excited for this show. Less than 24 hours away! I've also unintentionally managed to avoid seeing any of the posted videos from previous shows, so I only have a vague sense of what to expect, other that it's going to be awesome.

As a side note, my office is a couple blocks away from the venue, so if you are getting in early and would like a place to store stuff during the show, PM me.

bgalbraith
04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
DIIV's van broke down, so Boston gets a DJ replacement too...

FULLMETAL
04-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Looks like DIIV missed this show as there is a DJ setup on the stage. I sure hope some folks smuggled in some gear, this looks like a great room to record.

The DJ had a quick 30 minute set.

sheepdean
04-27-2013, 05:26 PM
DIIV are pretty cursed

heavenly_bearded
04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
And which poster represents this fine concert? I am very jealous of everybody in attendance.

Thank you for sharing.
\/\/\/

bgalbraith
04-27-2013, 06:29 PM
And which poster represents this fine concert? I am very jealous of everybody in attendance.

#6, the one with the family

bgalbraith
04-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Opening DJ played a 30 min set. CD-based. Had some rough transitions, but overall not too bad. Went with an electronic/industrial sound which wasn't a bad choice.

Andrew
04-27-2013, 06:45 PM
"She's Unreal" is one of my favorite MBM tracks, so he did ok in my book.

FULLMETAL
04-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Damn. That was a fine show, albeit an early one. If only Prince were doing a late show here. Oh well, plenty of rest before the NY drive tomorrow.

Anyhow, standard set with some excellent arrangements. Mariqueen introduced the guys in the band which I hadn't heard her do before. Very fun show!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r110/soppingwetlabia/P1030028_zps45c0743c.jpg

zaps30
04-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Quick summary:

-Disappointed that DIIV wasn't there. DJ set was pointless.

-Great performance and show by the band.

-Terrible/rude crowd. People constantly blocking the view of the stage because they "had" to have 5 or more pics of every song. Really annoying to say the least. Some guy kept farting the whole night on the floor as well.

bgalbraith
04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
What a fantastic show! So glad I went. Seeing Trent "black t-shirt" Reznor rocking business casual in a button down shirt was amusing to say the least.

I was to the left of the stage on the ground floor by a bar. It's slightly raised so I could easily see over the crowd and had a clear view of the band save for Ally when the screen thing was pulled back. The opening DJ actually came and watched the show right next to us.

Just loved the show and am looking forward to a more front-and-center experience tomorrow. Not sure if it was acoustics of where I was, but Trent's mic seemed a lot louder than M's -- it was hard to hear her at times.

Also, I think it's great Rob is up there on stage, but he needs to loosen up a bit or at least move around a bit more :) it was right knee bend head bob the entire night, almost robotic.

richardp
04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Some guy kept farting the whole night on the floor as well.

This made me laugh quite hard.

ScreamingSlave
04-28-2013, 01:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zisfd6w5pAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqQ0yonQfw

Got about 5 more will post later.

Ash512
04-28-2013, 07:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zisfd6w5pAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqQ0yonQfw

Got about 5 more will post later.

Be sure to send those files my way :)
iPhone?

ScreamingSlave
04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Be sure to send those files my way :)
iPhone? no i was using a sony HX20V

Ash512
04-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Looks like it may be usable! Send me everything you got when you get the chance.

Actually I think you were standing a few feet in front of me because I got an HX20V zooming on the band in a few of the videos I shot with my iPad.

jhulud
04-28-2013, 10:27 AM
What an incredible show. Everything was perfect. The music, the visuals, the overall feel of it.

I was let down that DIIV couldn't make it. I was looking forward to seeing them.

I agree with the crowd comment. A few people around me felt more compelled to video the show and take a million pics all throughout the evening instead of enjoying it. There was one assclown in front of me who was constantly doing this and blocking what little view I had. I got fed up and politely told him to give it a rest. He shot me a dirty look and then moved over a few steps. Still. Fuck that guy!

vpintz
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
The DJ wasn't bad. Not great, but not awful. I recognized him from various Boston clubs.

If you heard a woman (with black/red hair) screaming "DAT ASS" every so often, that was me. Ditto with yelling "VARIOUS SOUNDS OF EXCITEMENT" when the DJ came on.

I'm an asshole. (Also I was drunk.)

vpintz
04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Quick summary:

-Terrible/rude crowd. People constantly blocking the view of the stage because they "had" to have 5 or more pics of every song. Really annoying to say the least. Some guy kept farting the whole night on the floor as well.

the goons behind me were fucking insufferable. 0/10, would punch

ScreamingSlave
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
The DJ wasn't bad. Not great, but not awful. I recognized him from various Boston clubs.

If you heard a woman (with black/red hair) screaming "DAT ASS" every so often, that was me. Ditto with yelling "VARIOUS SOUNDS OF EXCITEMENT" when the DJ came on.

I'm an asshole. (Also I was drunk.)

I'm sorry but that DJ was atrociously bad he couldn't match a single beat went from one song completely stopping into another who does that !!!!! I can mix better then that on my home setup and he was looking at his phone off and on during the set the crowd should have booed him off the stage not clapped anyone who clapped had no concept of what a DJ should sound like.

And drunk people IMO need to stay the hell away from people who want to enjoy the show if you want to get drunk and gab or grab the girls ass your trying to get for the night which i saw so many stupid guys do go to a fucking bar you wreck the concert for those of us who are trying to listen !!!!!

As for cameras and video taking its a nin related band you should be used to this by now and its GA if you cant see around someone move there was plenty of room.

I enjoyed the show but drunk asssholes pretty much wrecked it in Boston didnt help that there was a game going on and im sure people who were drunk just bought tickets and came in to drink more.

vpintz
04-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry but that DJ was atrociously bad he couldn't match a single beat went from one song completely stopping into another who does that !!!!! I can mix better then that on my home setup and he was looking at his phone off and on during the set the crowd should have booed him off the stage not clapped anyone who clapped had no concept of what a DJ should sound like.

And drunk people IMO need to stay the hell away from people who want to enjoy the show if you want to get drunk and gab or grab the girls ass your trying to get for the night which i saw so many stupid guys do go to a fucking bar you wreck the concert for those of us who are trying to listen !!!!!

As for cameras and video taking its a nin related band you should be used to this by now and its GA if you cant see around someone move there was plenty of room.

I enjoyed the show but drunk asssholes pretty much wrecked it in Boston didnt help that there was a game going on and im sure people who were drunk just bought tickets and came in to drink more.
Yeah, I didn't mind the cameras at all...I was taking pictures as well. I was pretty pleased with my spot on the floor/rail (until my feet went numb and i almost fell over--sorry, people behind me! Didn't mean to trample you.). Also, um, it is possible to drink and enjoy the show. HTH.

The people behind me who were being insufferable...they were just screaming shit like "OMG PLAY 'CLOSER'" and shit which to me is more disrespectful than me commenting (semi drunkenly) on the attractiveness of the band members. Sorry, not sorry <3

vpintz
04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Also, I feel the need to PM everybody ITT and apologize to them in case one of the posters here was one of the people I stepped on when I almost fainted. Sorry, y'all. <3

neorev
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
i just have to ask you guys a question who saw this opening DJ...
did he have long hair?

seriously question, cuz i saw Amon Tobin in NYC last weekend and he had this opening DJ that did exactly as you described
no real mixing, just jumping from track to track... he would do like a dance track, then some slow ethnical kinda track, to a rappish track, back to dance... literally just skipping through em with to no real mixing.

i just gotta know if this is the same guy... anyone got a pic of this DJ?
i need to know if its the same shitsack

vpintz
04-28-2013, 04:34 PM
i just have to ask you guys a question who saw this opening DJ...
did he have long hair?

seriously question, cuz i saw Amon Tobin in NYC last weekend and he had this opening DJ that did exactly as you described
no real mixing, just jumping from track to track... he would do like a dance track, then some slow ethnical kinda track, to a rappish track, back to dance... literally just skipping through em with to no real mixing.

i just gotta know if this is the same guy... anyone got a pic of this DJ?
i need to know if its the same shitsack
I'd say he had short to medium length hair.

ETA: he's also a local (Boston area) DJ, so there's that.

zaps30
04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
His name was "DJ Brian L" I believe...

Andrew
04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DJBrianL/tweets

Ruiner2
04-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Quick summary:

-Disappointed that DIIV wasn't there. DJ set was pointless.

-Great performance and show by the band.

I noticed the DJ when I got in at about 7:15, thought it was a weird choice. After hitting up the merch table for a couple of posters made it back to the soundboard. HTDA hit the stage and I was like "WTF, where's the opening act?" Didn't hear about their van troubles till I got home (hour and a half freakin drive, but the T ride with all the drunk Sox fans was a fuckin RIOT! Whole train was laughing!) I also smelled the disgusting stench from the rouge farter. Two cute girls behind us blamed my friend and I and we were mortified. If I had farted like THAT I'd have been giggling like a school girl, not about to throw up in my mouth. FUCKING RANK! And whoever it was didn't fart once, but like FIVE TIMES! The show itself was fantastic. I also didn't watch any footage of previous shows and I'm glad I didn't! Light show blew my fuggin' mind! Is it me, or did the have surround sound? It seemed like certain sounds were coming from behind me... The only "bad" thing I can say is that Mariqueen's vocals were hard to hear during certain songs. I'm wondering if it's where I was standing cause I watch a video of someone who was right up front and it sounded fine. My friend told me that acoustically H.O.B is a horrible place to see a show, but he's grumpy sometimes. Anyone get a full set list? I was to busy enjoying the show to remember to write it down....

sheepdean
04-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Anyone get a full set list? I was to busy enjoying the show to remember to write it down.... http://www.ninwiki.com/2013/04/27_Boston,_MA

otnavuskire
04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Anyone know of any audio from the show?

ScreamingSlave
05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Anyone know of any audio from the show?

I taped no worries !!!! although i missed about a minute due to thinking DIIV was coming on and it turned out to be HDTA so my recording starts with Trent finishing the wake up so I didn't miss much :)

Ash512
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
LAST CALL

The editing process will soon begin on RITC/TOIOU's project (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1463-2013-04-23-Chicago-IL-The-Vic?p=82924#post82924). If you haven't sent in your footage yet, please contact me : ppchevigny@filmssix.com
You can upload any footage you have on DropBox or WeTransfer and send me a link. We need the original, uncompressed data.
Please include your full contact info so we can get in touch if we need to : name (or username if you'd rather remain anonymous), full address and phone number.

ScreamingSlave
06-06-2013, 12:25 AM
My Boston Audio is now up on dime in 24 bit and 16 bit FLAC soon to be up on RITC as well.

Enjoy :)

Fadeout54321
04-27-2021, 07:00 PM
8 Years Ago Today...I wish I had a time machine and could go back to this show. Man was it great!

https://forums.metallica.com/uploads/default/original/3X/c/5/c5e0fceddbc4c7265f82cf85459283b6d3a5e8d8.jpeg