PDA

View Full Version : Aliens: Colonial Marines

Demogorgon
02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
so, i didn't see a thread for this game, and so i took it upon myself to make one so i could warn everyone. This game is a heaping pile of garbage. The graphics are so dated looking throughout most of the game, i felt like i was playing a game from the late 90's. the AI is dumb and will constantly shoot walls, the game clips so bad that occasionally the AI walks THROUGH the walls, and the story is weak and pointless.

kdrcraig
02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah the IGN review says about the same. I wasn't planning on buying this but thought it sounded cool, but it would appear it is not. Such a shame.

Space Suicide
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
This game moderately interested me as a fan of the films but I had no immediate plans to get this game ASAP. if anything, I would've gotten it used 6 months to a year later. Looks like my judgment of not getting this crap served it's purpose. To me, this game wrings as 2013's version of Duke Nukem Forever - a game steeped in hype, development hell and picked up nearly a decade later. Game looks amusing and fun but not for a full price purchase. I doubt I'll get it sometime soon, if even at all. The gameplay seemed off to me when I watched videos and trailers and reviews now solidify my opinion. I'm not a typical: review bad = bad game but this game I actually am doing that with.

Thanks for the heads up!

Vertigo
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
The Aliens community is currently imploding from the sheer density of hate for this game. Puts AvP 2010 into perspective, at least, which did have a few strong elements (with maxed settings and DX11 it's just about the best looking game on my hard drive) and generally wasn't an affront to the industry.

Conan The Barbarian
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I am having fun with it so far. To me, that is all it matters.

thelastdisciple
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
http://youtu.be/8J8SzBhjqaQ

This is a good one!

Conan The Barbarian
02-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Amazing lol

I know I am the only one on here that actually has the game, but I cannot for the life of me find the pre order skins in the multiplayer. I want to go around and be fucking Hudson dammnit.

Vertigo
02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZwUzYbj.gif

'80s style.

Wretchedest
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah the IGN review says about the same. I wasn't planning on buying this but thought it sounded cool, but it would appear it is not. Such a shame.
IGN giving a 4.5 to something says an awful lot. They usually treat 7 like 0.

Fixer808
02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
This is a franchise that- as a whole- was ruined by Alien: Resurrection. I wish someone with an ounce of common sense would come in and do it some justice, because there's SO MUCH potential left untapped. But it seems not even Ridley Scott can return to it and make it what it once was.

That said, I really want to re-play the Aliens Total Conversion for the original Doom. Has anybody done an Aliens TC for Doom 3...? If it was done well I'd play the shit outta that.

Exploding Plastic
02-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I bought the game and am actually really liking it so far. I can understand why "hardcore" gamers would hate this. Call of Duty with aliens this is not. But, in terms of pure fan service, this is exactly what I was hoping for. I felt the same about the Ghostbusters game a few years ago too. I love the Alien franchise as a whole and I really think the devs did a decent job with this one.

This is what I mean when I tell people that "professional" gaming criticism is a tricky thing to grasp. I would argue that video games are the single most subjective form of media there is and trying to assign a game a score out of 10 when gamers have such a tight grasp on what it is that they like is a little ridiculous to me and I'll never fully understand it.

Jinsai
02-14-2013, 12:22 AM
I haven't been very optimistic about this since Sega originally canned the project years ago. I'm not surprised to hear that it's apparently horrible, and the news that Gearbox was bringing it back from the dead didn't sound encouraging either, given their recent showing in that arena with Duke Nukem...

Still, it's sad, because it looked like it originally sounded promising.

But, @Exploding Plastic (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=621), I would definitely argue against video games being the most subjective form of media, especially because it is interactive and not passive like most. The ability to interact with the world and control the experience is integral to creating a good game, and most of the criticism I've read takes major issue with control mechanics and gameplay. You can lobby an objective criticism against a game that is broken and practically unplayable, and that seems to be what some people are saying this approaches.

I haven't played it myself though, so I can't really offer an opinion.

Wretchedest
02-14-2013, 12:35 AM
I'll agree with Jinsai, at least in the sense that when a game doesn't function like it should or is intended too it is objectively bad, and from what I've seen of this game it commonly fails on a relatively basic level.

I'm not much of a franchise fan. I only really ever liked the Second film.... and AVP:R, which I am aware that everybody hates. I loved it. The story behind this failure is pretty fascinating/ entertaining though. I remember when this thing came up on the cover of Game Informer so many years ago...

thelastdisciple
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Everything else considered i guess if you're really masochistic enough and forgiving you might be able to comfortably find SOMETHING to enjoy about this game.

Vertigo
02-14-2013, 02:23 AM
This is a franchise that- as a whole- was ruined by Alien: Resurrection. I wish someone with an ounce of common sense would come in and do it some justice, because there's SO MUCH potential left untapped. But it seems not even Ridley Scott can return to it and make it what it once was.

That said, I really want to re-play the Aliens Total Conversion for the original Doom. Has anybody done an Aliens TC for Doom 3...? If it was done well I'd play the shit outta that.

Both the first two Aliens vs Predator games were fantastic for their time (and the Atari Jaguar original also), and the second one remains a classic. If you haven't played AvP2 I strongly recommend picking it up, it's aged surprisingly little. Top notch storytelling, plenty of tension and full of great gameplay for each species.

Conan The Barbarian
02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I wonder if online is still going? I had so much fun till hackers ruined it. I was a monster with the pred and my spear.

I think I'm going to reinstall it.

Demogorgon
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
i did buy this game on day one, so i don't want to give anybody the wrong impression. i was super excited for it, but, it really disappoints me. if this game had come out maybe 6 or 7 years ago, i would have enjoyed it more, because it would have fit in with a lot of the games that were out around that time, both visually and AI-wise. this, though, is a let down, especially considering how good the demo videos looked. there isn't even any dynamic lighting in the finished product. i mean, the character detail is excellent, really sharp, but the textures in the world, the lighting... lacking. totally lacking.

Vertigo
02-14-2013, 05:49 PM
[Aliens vs Predator 2]
I wonder if online is still going? I had so much fun till hackers ruined it. I was a monster with the pred and my spear.

I think I'm going to reinstall it.

Same here. One particularly glorious game I still remember is nailing 200 kills in 20 minutes as a PredAlien in a map with a shit ton of Z-axis (admittedly I did do rather a lot of spawn-killing). But eventually it got to the point that every single match had a hacker... not sure why they bothered, as all they accomplished was ruining the game for everyone else (invincibility, lightning speed, automated instant-kill firing and invisibility is quite a combination. I'm not convinced the 'players' were even controlling them).

I'm not sure about playercounts, but I believe you need to install a little mod to re-enable the master server.

Space Suicide
02-14-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-lied-about-aliens-from-e3-demo-to-retail-product-244966.phtml

Interesting

thelastdisciple
02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Yeah but it's kind of one of those things that you just sort of know....... i mean i don't have to get hit by a bus to know that it pretty much sucks, i don't think it'd make a big difference or change my mind if i were actually hit by bus myself and lived to tell about it. My opinion's not going to change.... It's still gonna suck.

owinn
02-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm only really interested in the opinions of people who have actually played the game. I'm gonna rent it next week as I love the Aliens series. Too many people read the reviews and then go on all the forums spitting hate about the game without ever touching it themselves, it annoys me.
I preordered the PC version and it fucking blows. The Sulaco opening is a long boring trudge through the same boring corridors with textures that look as though they were lifted directly from a Quake engine Star Wars game (old). Everything you read about it is true. I have not been able to bring myself to play past the Hadley's Hope opening sections they are just way too painful. Don't ask me about the multiplayer, apparently it has some neat ideas but if you want my advice then it's to not waste your time, you only have a finite time on this Earth and it shouldn't be spent playing any of this garbage.

Also anyone claiming they knew this would suck don't know what they are talking about - you may have thought it sucked on a DNF level perhaps but ACM really is another thing entirely - DNF actually had its moments, ACM had all its moments ripped from it mercilessly by Timegate and Gearbox.

NOW ALIEN FANS DO NOT DESPAIR! From what I'm hearing, the Creative Assembly's Alien game is going to be SHIT HOT.

“That game looks amazing. Very dark, very slow (in a good way). The textures and lighting look really really good. I’ve seen it running on a PC. The PS4 devkit looks like a computer. It looks as good, if not better, running as any super high end pc. We did not have those controllers, but they look like what was promised.”

:)

Vertigo
02-18-2013, 02:06 PM
We still don't even know what genre Creative Assembly's Aliens game is going to be. QA guy's words about it are encouraging though; if it was PR speak I doubt he'd have thrown Colonial Marines, Sega and Gearbox under the bus or quickly deleted his post.