PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games (not like Twilight at all!)

Lunatica
11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I refuse to be part of that Team Gale/Team Peeta tween propaganda! They are a very good, very addictive 3 books series. And I love them.

Children killing children for entertainment. What's not to like about that?

bgalbraith
11-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I've read the first book in the series, and it's not bad. It's got a 1984 / Brave New World vibe and also has elements from Lord of the Flies and Ender's Game.

Sebek
12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
It was a fun series that kept me entertained, the first book was probably the best of the three followed by the second.

mostlymad
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
People really into Twilight keep recommending it to me, which does not help to inspire me. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try.

razzletiger
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
People really into Twilight keep recommending it to me, which does not help to inspire me. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try.

It is NOT Twilight. Not at all. People might keep comparing it to that, but that's only because the popularity of the books and the hype leading up to the first movie is similar to what happened with Twilight. There is a love triangle in the Hunger Games, but Katniss's confusion over who she loves is not the sole reason for why she lives and breathes, and it's not even really a huge part of the story. If this helps, Suzanne Collins, the author, was inspired to write these books one night while flipping through channels and going back and forth from coverage of the Iraq War and reality TV shows. It's more of a critique of pop culture than anything else.

Sebek
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Think of it as an American version of Battle Royale. With more teenage romance.

The Fifth Witness
12-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Curiosity is getting the best of me and I've been thinking of picking up the first book.

scorpiusdiamond
12-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Just started reading Mockingjay. Brilliant, my favourite one so far. I love these books.

frankie teardrop
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
there's nothing really original about these books (battle royale, the long walk), but i still enjoyed them. nice and easy and enjoyable. film trailer actually looks quite a bit like i would have expected it to, which is rare.

littlemonkey613
12-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Just started reading Mockingjay. Brilliant, my favourite one so far. I love these books.

It was my favorite of the three as well. I thought she took a lot more risks as a writer.

carpenoctem
12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
there's nothing really original about these books (battle royale, the long walk), but i still enjoyed them. nice and easy and enjoyable. film trailer actually looks quite a bit like i would have expected it to, which is rare.

Ooh, The Long Walk. I didn't even think of that, but you're right. And that one was even more brutal in my opinion.

I think The Hunger Games are awesome. A friend of mine was really reluctant because she got the impression that the love triangle was played up a lot, but really that's just a side note to the story, which is one of the many things I love about it. The movie looks great, the casting is pitch perfect from what I've seen. I actually got chills and felt like crying when I saw the trailer 'cause I just finished rereading the books and they're so intense and emotional.

As far as my favorite book, definitely the second. I was skeptical that the concept of the series could successfully carry it through a trilogy, but Catching Fire was better in a lot of ways. Mockingjay fell short in a few ways but I loved the way she handled the ending, not giving any easy answers to the problems Katniss faces.

lady weetly
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I picked up a paperback of this yesterday. I've been meaning to read it for a while now because a lot of my friends love the first book the most. I'll finish it in like the next week or so. :)

theimage13
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Read the first book last weekend, while I was still with my girlfriend at the time. Spent half the book (no spoilers here) being jealous of the levels of intimacy between certain characters. Two days later...single. Not sure I'll be able to pull off the other two books now.

carpenoctem
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
If it helps any, the level of intimacy was heightened by the fact that they were being forced to slaughter other teenagers against their will.

theimage13
01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
If it helps any, the level of intimacy was heightened by the fact that they were being forced to slaughter other teenagers against their will.

Sadly, that didn't help - just makes it worse. I ended up finishing the trilogy last night, and I left in a state of complete and utter depression. Because now, I'm A: pining for some sort of love or intimacy in my life, and B: speechless in regard to the extraordinarily violent means by which the resolution is achieved. Double whammy.

littlemonkey613
02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
B: speechless in regard to the extraordinarily violent means by which the resolution is achieved. .

Sorry that you are depressed :/ but my god did I love that Collins wrote the ending like that. Many a Tween Hunger Games fans say the last book is the worst and la la la but I truly think it was the best of the lot simply because of the risk it took towards the end and how morally ambiguous it all became. Great stuff for a YA novel. (Not to demean YA novels, they are my favorite after all but yall know what I mean)