PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Preppers (best unintentional comedy on TV, absolute trainwreck)

DigitalChaos
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Is anyone else addicted to this show?

There is nothing wrong with being prepared, especially if you live in areas prone to disasters. There is also nothing wrong with being self-sufficient. It can be very liberating. Depending on how far you go, it can get a bit... eccentric but hey. The issue with most of the people on this show is that they are heavily driven by fear and some degree of mental instability. Think extreme FOX fans, especially Glenn Beck fans.

I never knew there were so many flavors of these people. Everyone lists what they are getting prepared for. Most reasons are just... wow. You can't help but wonder how some of these people make a living. There also seems to be some huge gaps in their preparedness. For many of them it is their obesity. Every bit of survival gadget isn't going to help them.

There are some amazing trainwrecks too. One guy had all of his weapons taken away by the state (due to mental illness) soon after his episode aired. One is a teenage kid who has a hundred red flags for being the next Columbine. And here are a few amazing examples:

Season 2 Episode 4 might be my favorite. There are 2 Texans building "the alamo" hideout. The whole episode is hilarious but the climax is when they are both sitting in a hunting blind. One shoots his gun INSIDE the blind which gives the other a bit of shell shock. He can't hear shit, starts crying and throwing up, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find this one on youtube anymore.

Another... This guy manages to shoot off his thumb while "training." The full episode shows more drama with him passing out, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1k962_9A

pigpen
02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
I saw the one where the one guy shoots his gun off inside that small room. It was ridiculous.

I think it'd be an interesting episode if one of the "preppers" were prepping for the Rapture, and instead of hoarding guns and bugging out, he/she was just going around town being really good to their fellow human beings. Like, volunteering at soup kitchens, helping old ladies across the street, etc..

Sutekh
02-07-2013, 06:49 AM
It's hilarious... and I love it when the experts tell them all their shit will amount to maybe 2-3 months extra survival time, and the nutters are just like "Well I don't agree with that to be honest"... it's like, it's a matter of fact mate, not opinion. Proper deluded people.

The worst was when some guy gave up his (decent, well paid) job because the experts told him the fact he works about an hour's drive away from home would reduce his ability to get home quickly in a crisis event. I felt bad for his family.

DigitalChaos
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
You sound like you are from the UK somewhere. Did you know about the UK Preppers series? http://natgeotv.com/uk/preppers-uk-surviving-armageddon
Same flavor of people but with less access to some weaponry.

Sutekh
02-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah i think i saw the one where the bloke just flat out kills and cleans a rabbit in about 3 minutes. I have a friend who is a bit like that, he keeps a rifle and lentils in his loft (and he never spoke of it! He finally told us after years and were like WTF, let's have a look!)

if he shit hits the fan the preppers and the country club fox hunting types will inherit the uk, they are the only ones with guns - imo the very few armed inner city criminals would never make it out of collapsing cities alive