PDA

View Full Version : House of Cards

Pages : [1] 2

orestes
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
So who here has watched the US adaptation that premiered on netflix yesterday? The first two episodes are directed by David Fincher, who's also one of the executive producers. I've watched the first half of the season so far and it's definitely engaging.

NIN64
02-03-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm about six episodes in. Liking it so far. Spacey's performance is definitely award worthy, but I fear this series will get no recognition due to Hollywood politics. . .

DVYDRNS
02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I am enjoying this show so far. Good Job. Hopefully this will get this sort of thing going more. Shows made for NETFLIX.

Magtig
02-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Sorkin's Newsroom wishes it had the depth of characters, writing and drama that House of Cards possesses in abundance.

DVYDRNS
02-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I think both shows are well made. They are different animals.

onthewall2983
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Watched the whole thing, which should tell you how much I got into it. I'm not too big a fan of putting it up all at once, I'd much rather it come in week by week. But if it works for them who am I to complain.

I also watched the first episode of the UK series, which will be very interesting to finish now. Guy who was the lead in that was actually in those Grey Poupon commercials so many of us 80's kids vaguely remember.

richardp
02-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Watched the first episode and quite dug it. David Fincher is such a fantastic filmmaker. The one thing that I'm worried about with the show is that after the two Fincher directed episodes, the show won't look anywhere near as good, and just simply won't BE as good either.

johnbron
02-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm about half way through the season and I'm loving it. Great show.

orestes
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Show of hands on who can't stand Zoe? *raises hand*

slave2thewage
02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Kate and Rooney seem to share each other's downers, it seems.

onthewall2983
02-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Watched the first episode and quite dug it. David Fincher is such a fantastic filmmaker. The one thing that I'm worried about with the show is that after the two Fincher directed episodes, the show won't look anywhere near as good, and just simply won't BE as good either.

It looks the same across the board. Any director who comes on has to adapt to the style of the show. If you see the episodes of ER and CSI that Tarantino directed, it will feel more like an episode of the show than any of his films.

orestes
02-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Kate and Rooney seem to share each other's downers, it seems.

Ugh, her character's motivations are so transparent.

johnbron
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
The last scene in episode 7. Oh god that was hot.

onthewall2983
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
One of the producers said on Twitter today filming for season 2 begins in March/April.

orestes
02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Ugh, the exchange between Russo and the prostitute at the cancer research event was painful to watch.

onthewall2983
02-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I love the credits sequence. I'm a sucker for HD time-lapse stuff since Breaking Bad. ​Jeff Beal's theme is quite nice too.

orestes
02-06-2013, 11:57 PM
I've had that theme stuck in my head.

halloween
02-06-2013, 11:57 PM
I just watched the first two episodes, really interesting stuff! I think I need to rewatch the first episode because I got lost at times with some of the names and faces because I was scanning film at the same time. Beautifully shot and the acting is pretty amazing. I love the breaking the fourth wall thing.

Dra508
02-07-2013, 11:40 PM

Pretty much and I only have gotten thru episode 4.

I'm guessing this is not far off from what really happens in Washington.

orestes
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
And then some! (http://rt.com/usa/news/us-cia-drone-saudi-669/)

GoodSoldier333
02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
What's up with all the phones? Phones phones phones.

And lots of phones being chucked.

Dra508
02-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm only just starting episode 5. I really appreciated the love between Claire and Francis. BUT not so much anymore. I know love. It does not truly tolerate sex with others. And all you polyamourous folks don't need to pile in. This is TV.

Magtig
02-09-2013, 02:16 PM
With respect to Dra's invalidating biases, the complex and open relationship between Claire and Francis makes for fascinating TV. As interesting and real as their love is for each other, it unfortunately continues the long-standing 'people in open relationships are basically bad people' trend in cinema, but that's getting a little off topic. This series seems to be just as much about the complexity of their love as it is about the pursuit of power and politics. Francis' line in the first few episodes summed up his point of view beautifully, "I love that woman like a shark loves blood." Claire had a similar, albeit less snappy, line when she said that Francis was the only man that truly understood her.

I found it fascinating in the later episodes when they were having dueling guilt nightmares over Francis' murder, and were even leaning on each other for emotional support. Even though it had been well established that they told each other everything I still found it surprising that Francis told Claire about what he had done.

Dra508
02-11-2013, 07:04 AM
With respect to Dra's invalidating biases, the complex and open relationship between Claire and Francis makes for fascinating TV. As interesting and real as their love is for each other, it unfortunately continues the long-standing 'people in open relationships are basically bad people' trend in cinema, but that's getting a little off topic. This series seems to be just as much about the complexity of their love as it is about the pursuit of power and politics. Francis' line in the first few episodes summed up his point of view beautifully, "I love that woman like a shark loves blood." Claire had a similar, albeit less snappy, line when she said that Francis was the only man that truly understood her.

I found it fascinating in the later episodes when they were having dueling guilt nightmares over Francis' murder, and were even leaning on each other for emotional support. Even though it had been well established that they told each other everything I still found it surprising that Francis told Claire about what he had done.Aww I love you Magtig for your articulate observations. I truly appreciate being shown/explained things from different angles. It's like looking at art. My point was this WAS television and I don't expect the general viewership to get Claire and Francis. That was sort of my point. I got thru the whole season (thank you Nemo), but have to rewatch the last episode, I think I missed stuff. Story recovery on Claire and Francis: Interesting that Claire wasn't so fine about Zoe. What was that all with her picking through her clothing?
Francis wasn't so ok with Claire disappearing, though I think it was more that them admitting that his stuff was more important then hers hurt them both more then having sex with other people so I get that part, I really do.
I'm also sorry for Peter Russo. I like that actor and his character's name was the name of a boss/mentor I had who also died while in office (well - while being my boss :()

Morad
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I enjoy the show quite a lot. I hate having to read about why it's "the future of television" everywhere though, without any of those writers ever explaining why the show itself is so good.

The dynamic between Claire and Frank enthrals me - it's so unlike the standard Hollywood/television show coupling, and the two work as a real-life, loving couple who are also a team. The one scene that got to me so much was when Frank was just sitting on the couch, playing his PS3, cold and detached, and he seems to push Claire away too with his coldness, only to say "I love you to her," just to make sure she knows. I thought it was very beautifully done, and very real.

Another aspect of it that I love is that the show makes no qualms about its cruelty. It enjoys it as if there is no other way a man like Frank can survive without it. It's so damn refreshing. I wrote a (long) piece about the show and this whole idea of cruelty if anybody's likes to read it (http://www.unsungfilms.com/9998/cruelty-as-a-virtue-in-house-of-cards/).

onthewall2983
02-14-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm unconvinced that putting out all the episodes at once is a good idea. Mostly because it makes threads like this awkward because we're all not following it at the same time. The budget for the show is around the neighborhood of 100 million. That's a bit daunting given the fact it was released like this. "Appointment television" is something that should still have some value in today's marketplace.

Morad
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm unconvinced that putting out all the episodes at once is a good idea. Mostly because it makes threads like this awkward because we're all not following it at the same time. The budget for the show is around the neighborhood of 100 million. That's a bit daunting given the fact it was released like this. "Appointment television" is something that should still have some value in today's marketplace.

I think it's great because it adds to this whole idea of television-as-literature. Now, we can watch it like we can read a book: chapter after chapter after chapter, and that is very enjoyable. Also, I think most television audiences now, don't watch the television shows week-after-week, but wait for it all to end so they could watch it all in one go. It's more freeing that way, and again, it is almost like reading a book.

onthewall2983
02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Fair enough. It's apples and oranges, IMO.

heroicraptor
02-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Holy shit, Chapter 11!!!

House of Cards is The Wire exceptional.

r_z
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I really like this show. I just found it to be somewhat strange, how the president would offer the vice presidency to a man, who failed him on numerous occasions, like when Francis was backing the wrong candidate for the gouvernors' run, when he didn't get the bill through congress, when he f-ed up on national television, etc.
Or did I miss something?

Zipfinator
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
He purposely tempted Russo into that night at the hotel so he'd drop out of the race and the current Vice President could run for governor, opening up the slot for himself. And although he let the president down a few times he came through more often I would say.

Sallos
02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
This show is brilliant, other than Boss it's very hard to find quality political/drama television (never was a big fan of west wing).

First time i saw Kevin Spacey address the audience/camera i was like wtf is this shit? But it works really well and now i find it to be a great feature, which improves Frank Underwood character. This show is extremely well written.

oh and that scene where Frank screws up on national television, boy was that painful to watch. Only time i've ever felt embarrassed for any tv character before was kenny powers, but frank topped it right there.

onthewall2983
02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
This is eons ahead of Boss.

Sallos
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
This is eons ahead of Boss.

Indeed, im just a sucker for kelsey grammer.

onthewall2983
02-16-2013, 11:10 AM
He was good, the remainder of it was just a mess.

orestes
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
This show is brilliant, other than Boss it's very hard to find quality political/drama television (never was a big fan of west wing).

First time i saw Kevin Spacey address the audience/camera i was like wtf is this shit? But it works really well and now i find it to be a great feature, which improves Frank Underwood character. This show is extremely well written.

oh and that scene where Frank screws up on national television, boy was that painful to watch. Only time i've ever felt embarrassed for any tv character before was kenny powers, but frank topped it right there.

Really? I found Peter's fall from grace much more painful to watch.

Dra508
02-16-2013, 08:14 PM

That's a actually short money for Netflix considering how much they have to pay out whenever we watch another show. They save those fees and probably gain more subscribers. If they can keep up with another quality series, they could grow their subscriber count.

I'm going to Netflix right now and gonna watch the original bbc series.

Maury
02-20-2013, 02:00 AM
I have no idea if putting out all the episodes at once is good for the bottom line, but as a viewer I find it awesome. I mean, there's a part of me that enjoys that week to week anticipation but given the choice I would always take a show this way. It makes me want to stick with my Netflix subscription on principle.

Alexandros
03-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Amazing show. Such well-rounded characters, engaging dialogue and masterful pace. And I have to agree with some here that Frank and Claire's relationship was one of the high points of the series. It is so complex and feels so real. You've got love and respect, yet also a hint of a darker undercurrent that both know and even embrace.

Lutz
03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm only up to episode ten but the series has really started to flounder in translating the particularly British sexual politics to an American setting.

The glee and sense of fun and perversity in the affair and the concrete knowledge that the wife understands because she understands Francis better than he understands himself has been translated into churlish, puritanical, petty bickering between the characters.

It is also important to cement that Clarie understands Francis and what he wants better than he does considering that this is the emotional premise that the series depends for it's ultimate conclusion.

Lutz
03-27-2013, 03:56 AM
I struggled through the end of the season but I'll still watch season 2 purely to see Claire destroy the lady she fired.

onthewall2983
12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lc6QzxTeZM

BrokenSpiral
12-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Sweet. I can't wait!

Dra508
12-13-2013, 06:34 AM
http://youtu.be/jFhJjCmYi1M

I know what I'll be doing for a couple days in February.

onthewall2983
12-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Anyone else notice the song in the background?

BrokenSpiral
12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
This season looks a lot more intense. Almost like a thriller rather than a drama.

Dra508
12-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Anyone else notice the song in the background?What what?, I am dumb.

onthewall2983
12-14-2013, 12:09 PM
I didn't notice until someone pointed it out.

onthewall2983
01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLm9nCWnr5Q#t=15

onthewall2983
01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
This is very cool. Netflix adds audio commentary to each episode of the first season from it's six directors including David Fincher. (http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/netflix-adds-house-of-cards-directors-commentary-from-david-fincher-james-foley-and-more)

liquidcalm
01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
cannot wait for Season 2. The first was an unexpected delight.

Highly Psychological
01-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Incredible show, found it very complex at the beginning and hard to follow at points, and it was very fast moving, but something kept me hooked and the last few episodes were very rewarding, i would be surprised if the young journalist woman made it out alive also Robin Wright's character is the coldest bitch on screen for years, im dying for season 2 and am finding the wait painful, even more so than i was for Breaking Bad. Agree the next season will be a very different type of show.

onthewall2983
01-06-2014, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBabKoHSErI&feature=youtu.be

onthewall2983
02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgZce6hCEAAPVlI.png

littlemonkey613
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Wah I had two gofobo passes for the red carpet premiere tonight but I am sick as hell and cannot attend and sadly I cant transfer them to anyone. O well I shall be binging at midnight like the rest of yall. cant wait.

Edit: just watched the first ep LOL jesus....

Baphomette
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Five eps left.

kitz
02-14-2014, 05:25 PM
This is the best Valentine's day present!

playwithfire
02-15-2014, 02:07 AM
http://diaforapragmata.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/houseoftrains.jpg

Zipfinator
02-15-2014, 02:14 AM
I'm on episode 3 now.

Jesus fuck that scene where the reporter was in the diner and got the ipad in the mail followed by the fucking animated character matching the hacker's voice almost made me stop watching...

heroicraptor
02-15-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm on episode 3 now.

Jesus fuck that scene where the reporter was in the diner and got the ipad in the mail followed by the fucking animated character matching the hacker's voice almost made me stop watching...

You'll see. I think it was done that way on purpose, to make it seem more spy-ey to Lucas.

elevenism
02-15-2014, 12:40 PM
it's an AMAZING show! i consumed the first season pretty much in one sitting.
BTW y'all, how in the hell do i do the "spoiler text?"

onthewall2983
02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Like this [ spoiler ]your text here[ /spoiler ] without the spaces in the brackets.

Baphomette
02-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm going to miss Stamper, creepy and horrid as he was.

slave2thewage
02-15-2014, 10:38 PM
I had to pause due to cackling at Frank watching a gangbang on his MacBook.

Baphomette
02-15-2014, 10:58 PM
I had to pause due to cackling at Frank watching a gangbang on his MacBook.

I love that Robin Wright directed that episode.

slave2thewage
02-16-2014, 12:02 AM
brb bandaging my hand in order to get a threesome (I had to pause and scream at the laptop).

elevenism
02-24-2014, 07:22 AM
I just finished season 2. This is definitely one of my favorite shows ever. I love politics, and wish i could be a politician, but they could dig up way too much dirt on me.

I couldn't BELIEVE the fucking murder of Zoe. And i'm gonna miss Doug too.

now the long, LONG wait for season 3. that's the only thing i can't stand about these netflix shows. it almost makes me wish they would release them one episode a week.

elevenism
02-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Sorry for the double post. I fucking LOVE Zoe..in an aesthetic way.
So, orestes and the rest of you guys who have seen the brit version, how is it? Worth my time?
And BTW, i'm stuck in a tiny town where i can't get a job due to my long hair and piercings, but i cant leave because i'm on bond for an alleged crime. The wheels of justice turn very, VERY slowly here.
So i have a LOT of time.

orestes
02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Actually, I haven't seen the UK original yet.

onthewall2983
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
I've seen the first season (or series as the Brits like to call it). It's a little dated but is pleasant enough to get through. The actor playing Frank also had roles in Brazil, Dark City and was the Grey Poupon guy.

Dra508
02-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I binge watched this last weekend. This season was better than the first. How rare is that? I love the set and costume design. It is sooooo purposeful.

Rabbit
02-25-2014, 04:31 AM
Best show on tv. One of my fav shows of all time. Binged on season 2 all week last week to the point where my eyes were bleeding.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I started watching this last night. And fuck, is it good. I plan on watching the whole first and second season by this weekend. It's really interesting, because I rarely ever get into political dramas like this, but I dunno. These characters are all so interesting in their own ways that I can't help but be genuinely curious about what their next move is. Hell, the first 60 seconds of the first episode was enough to get me in, hook, line, and sinker. Also, the way they handle the fourth wall is just great. Not too much, just enough to make me want more and more of them. Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood is one hell of a presence on-screen.

Also, Kate Mara. Yum. YUM.

r_z
02-27-2014, 04:27 AM
First season was miles ahead of the second. Show has become a really good shitty one. Just like Dexter in his prime.

theimage13
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm going to miss Stamper, creepy and horrid as he was.

But...I swear his eye moved at the very beginning of the last scene with him. Even if it didn't, he could just be unconscious. My guess: he's not dead.

I just binged on the entire series last week. I'm sad to say that nothing shocked me. Perhaps the biggest "shocker" of the second season was one that I saw coming. But that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the show. Shocking or not, I think it's a very well shot show (absolutely love the set design and camera work), and I like the story lines. I hate most of the characters (not the acting, the actual characters) and am eager for the next season because I just want to see people get what they've got coming. Here's hoping!

elevenism
03-14-2014, 02:18 AM
I think it's really cool that you can watch this with spanish as the spoken language.
I studied spanish for 6 years in school, and i speak it pretty damn well, but i'm still not completely fluent.
Anyway, i'm watching again in spanish to practice my linguistic skills.

Maul
03-17-2014, 07:10 AM
I really enjoyed the two seasons,can't wait for the third. I wonder what Gavin is going to do in the next season and if he will be able to link Zoe's murder to Frank. He is my favorite character so far,along with Frank,Claire and Russo.

Tums206_BFY
03-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Just watched the first two seasons in the span of the last 3 weeks loving the show! Can't wait for season 3!

onthewall2983
06-24-2014, 12:32 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq2ZFmBCMAA5FGr.jpg

Only posting this because the zombie version of Frank from the BBC version made me laugh.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Finally got into this show last week and I'm almost done with the first season. Man, Spacey just lights up the screen in this show. I love how he casually looks at the camera when he says things before they happen and he is right.. man it is so spot on. Kate Mara is total eye candy on screen, and I love the character development.. it's enough to keep you intrigued, but not too much where you lose interest. Cannot wait to get to season 2!

Sarah K
09-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I've watched all of season 1 and 2 over the last three weeks or so. Man. It's not often that show is able to grab me like this one.

Most of it is pretty predictable. You can see exactly what is coming, but it is still exciting. I LOVED this.

onthewall2983
12-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Season 3 drops February 27th (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-unveils-house-cards-season-752904?utm_source=twitter)

Space Suicide
12-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Season 3 drops February 27th (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-unveils-house-cards-season-752904?utm_source=twitter)

Sweet news. I recently got into this show and snapped up both seasons on blu-ray. Love this shit. It's so unapologetic and a cancer to watch. Frank Underwood is such a conniving and rutheless asshole. I love it.

slave2thewage
12-09-2014, 03:45 AM
Bah, it comes out when I'm following Placebo on tour. Guess I'll be watching it on my iPhone while lining up.

elevenism
12-09-2014, 04:19 PM
i can't fucking WAIT for season three.
you're right about Kate Mara, Self.Destructive.Pattern . i haven't had a tv crush like that since Saved By the Bell ;)

I just love Kevin Spacey, and this is, for me, his best role by far. He is the perfect vindictive sensualist slimeball antihero. Looking at even like, the way he moves, i can tell that he thinks A LOT about the character and works really hard on it.

I wonder what the fuck is going to happen now that Frank is where he is now!

Baphomette
12-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I wonder what the fuck is going to happen now that Frank is where he is now!

Kinda obvious. Rachel's gonna blackmail the fuck outta him. But then Frank is approached by the Guinea Pig Hacker and agrees to meet all the demands GPH gave that one dude last season if GPH starts working for him. Everything will be cool 'til GPH is asked to take out Rachel and is faced with a moral quandary.
Claire, in the meantime, is having an affair w/Russo's ex-girlfriend and constantly fighting with Frank about supporting the LGBT community. Then the roommate Frank slept with in military school shows up with naked pics of them together and threatens to give them to Andrea Mitchell unless Frank signs a constitutional amendment regarding same-sex marriages. Frank signs it but then has the cute gay secret service guy kill his friend. CGSS breaks down, confesses to Claire, who confronts Frank, who is now fucking Claire''s current/Russo's ex-girlfriend. And then they have a foursome.
The Senate Whip who always wears really short skirts with crazy pumps reveals she's pregnant w/Remy's kid but hasn't been able to reach him. Frank asks GPH to find him. They eventually track him down - he's living in Frank's state (Alabama? Tennessee? I forget.) and running a BBQ joint w/Freddy. Frank and Freddy have a touching reunion over some ribs (only Frank eats) while SWWAWRSSWCP and Remy talk it out. Frank suggests that Remy come back to DC to open a new Freddy's Joint. Remy agrees. Then everyone hugs, smiles, do those chest-thumping handshakes and eats more ribs (except Freddy).
Season finale will be about Frank changing the constitution and declaring the US a dictatorship. And at the very end, white hipster journalist escapes from prison and meets up with GPH, Rachel, Freddy and Russo's ex/Clare's now-ex g/f in the woods and plan how to take him down. CGSS guy listens behind a tree.

THE END

elevenism
12-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Miss Baphomette , the amount of time and thought you must have put into that is just a LITTLE disturbing :p

but it's fucking hilarious

Baphomette
12-09-2014, 07:19 PM
@Miss Baphomette (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=11) , the amount of time and thought you must have put into that is just a LITTLE disturbing :p Ha! What's disturbing is that I came up with it right after I read your post at around 2:50PM. :P

elevenism
12-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Ha! What's disturbing is that I came up with it right after I read your post at around 2:50PM. :P

You're nuts :p
BUT...pulling that off in that small of a timeframe shows that you're pretty damn smart too.

Dra508
12-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Kinda obvious. Rachel's gonna blackmail the fuck outta him. But then Frank is approached by the Guinea Pig Hacker and agrees to meet all the demands GPH gave that one dude last season if GPH starts working for him. Everything will be cool 'til GPH is asked to take out Rachel and is faced with a moral quandary.
Claire, in the meantime, is having an affair w/Russo's ex-girlfriend and constantly fighting with Frank about supporting the LGBT community. Then the roommate Frank slept with in military school shows up with naked pics of them together and threatens to give them to Andrea Mitchell unless Frank signs a constitutional amendment regarding same-sex marriages. Frank signs it but then has the cute gay secret service guy kill his friend. CGSS breaks down, confesses to Claire, who confronts Frank, who is now fucking Claire''s current/Russo's ex-girlfriend. And then they have a foursome.
The Senate Whip who always wears really short skirts with crazy pumps reveals she's pregnant w/Remy's kid but hasn't been able to reach him. Frank asks GPH to find him. They eventually track him down - he's living in Frank's state (Alabama? Tennessee? I forget.) and running a BBQ joint w/Freddy. Frank and Freddy have a touching reunion over some ribs (only Frank eats) while SWWAWRSSWCP and Remy talk it out. Frank suggests that Remy come back to DC to open a new Freddy's Joint. Remy agrees. Then everyone hugs, smiles, do those chest-thumping handshakes and eats more ribs (except Freddy).
Season finale will be about Frank changing the constitution and declaring the US a dictatorship. And at the very end, white hipster journalist escapes from prison and meets up with GPH, Rachel, Freddy and Russo's ex/Clare's now-ex g/f in the woods and plan how to take him down. CGSS guy listens behind a tree.

THE END

Best fan fiction ever.

onthewall2983
01-12-2015, 12:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9QTLXYCCc

neorev
01-12-2015, 02:23 AM
Ok, so I just started to sit down and watch this series this month and already halfway through season two.

But HOLY SHIT BALLS episode 1 of the 2nd season... wow... just... wow.

I was kinda like "Is he gonna do it?" "Nah, he's not THAT crazy." "Holy fuck shit, he fucking really did it!"

I'm being purposely vague just in case for those have not seen in yet. But I'm sure those that have know what incident that I am talking about.

Gonna finish the rest of season 2.
Season 3 next month! Wooo!

fillow
01-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Fucking perfect song choice for this trailer

neorev
01-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Fucking perfect song choice for this trailer

What song is this?

fillow
01-12-2015, 05:20 AM
What song is this?
A strange question for this forum, but it's Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums by A Perfect Circle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaZnIr-faM

Tums206_BFY
01-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah color me excited!

neorev
01-13-2015, 02:04 AM
A strange question for this forum, but it's Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums by A Perfect Circle

Oh wow, can't believe I didn't recognize it. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of Emotive.

Substance242
01-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I started watching from S01E01 (my favourite series of 2014 were, in order: Sherlock, True Detective, The Newsroom, The Knick, just for some background) last week, currently I am at S02E02 and damn, THIS - IS - GOOD. Seriously.

I was truly shocked what happened at the beginning of season 2 (as mentioned above), I should have known better and expect that. Curious where Rachel is, all OK already...?

Kevin Spacey is great, but, why am I on his character's side, that person is without question terrible, what's wrong with me...? :-)

So, I will finish Season 2 just in time for the third one.

onthewall2983
02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
The third season in it's entirety was accidentally uploaded to Netflix this morning and was online for 27 minutes.

Space Suicide
02-11-2015, 04:43 PM
The third season in it's entirety was accidentally uploaded to Netflix this morning and was online for 27 minutes.

Not even long enough to watch one episode. :p

Looks like I'll have to be a doofus and create a trial account for one month to watch season three and then cancel my "subscription."

:p

onthewall2983
02-20-2015, 10:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLQ0oYeza2k

onthewall2983
02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Hearing some talk that this may actually be the last season. The BBC one was 3 seasons long (though not consecutive), so that maybe why. But it also could be why so little has been hinted at plot-wise.

onthewall2983
02-22-2015, 10:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6x4Y1wus4

Dra508
02-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Can't wait.

littlemonkey613
02-26-2015, 12:42 PM
:o:o:D:D:D:D:o:o= me cuz soon Frank, my love.

sentient02970
02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Just now finishing off the final episode of Prison Break tonight to catch this hot off the Netflix press.

elevenism
02-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Tomorrow!
Will it be on at midnight tonight?

onthewall2983
02-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Depends on the time zone, but I'm not sure if they do go up at midnight. I'll start in the morning.

Baphomette
02-27-2015, 03:18 AM
Called Guinea Pig Hacker and Rachel.

elevenism
02-27-2015, 06:29 AM
i just started it now, and hell if i'm not having to look on the internet to remind myself of everything that happaned last season.

my brain doesn't work anymore :(

of course, i DID binge watch the whole thing so it HAS been a year...

Space Suicide
02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/house-of-cards-times-kevin-spacey-talks-to-audience-2015-2

Jon
02-28-2015, 07:38 AM
I was hoping to stream this in 4K while I was still able to, but no dice. Anyone have luck with 4K for Season 3?

somethingelse
02-28-2015, 08:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/X14H2YJ.jpg

elevenism
02-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Well, so much for savoring it.

I'm about to start episode 13.

THis show is SO fucking good. Robin Wright is EXQUISITE. Kevin Spacey is INCREDIBLE.

And i think this is the best season yet...they found the perfect balance between the political story (of which season 2 had too much, ) and the personal.

Sarah K
02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm starting episode three right now.

Why do I want to fuck the shit out of Frank? That voice does strange things to me. Those looks when he is speaking to the camera. Oh god. PLZ HALP

elevenism
02-28-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm starting episode three right now.

Why do I want to fuck the shit out of Frank? That voice does strange things to me. Those looks when he is speaking to the camera. Oh god. PLZ HALP

Kevin Spacey brings SO much sensuality to that role...the way he talks, the way he moves. It's amazing. It's understandable. I halfway wanna fuck him too ;)

Speaking of wanting to fuck, Kate Mara was the first tv crush i've had since christina applegate.
I got so ...ummm...excited during some of those scenes. That shit hasn't happened to me since i was 13!
So i know the feeling.

So i've heard talk that this might be the final season, but i'm thinking no.
What do you guys think, who have seen all of it?

Baphomette
02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Weakest of the three seasons. Hated all the passivity that they threw on Wright's character - not enough threats to unborn babies. Very frustrating. Also, weak use of Freddy and Gavin. (Although I did whoop with delight when I first saw Freddy's face.) Writers could have done so much more with both of 'em. And Stamper killing Rachel was SO anti-climatic. With the exception of that fumble, I LOVED Stamper's arc. Seeing Lars Mikkelsen was a treat but I didn't like the way his character was written, especially the scenes where he expressed concern for Pussy Riot (THAT was genius). So, yeah. I give season three a "meh" rating.

BRoswell
03-01-2015, 04:16 PM
It wasn't as explosive as the first two seasons, but I definitely enjoyed it. I just wish we didn't have to wait another year to see how this is all resolved.

Swykk
03-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I really dug season three.

Remy and Jackie grew souls. Doug tried to.

Tums206_BFY
03-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Finished season three this morning might have been slower paced than the past two seasons but I liked it overall. Thought Robin Wright was pretty good! Spacey was brilliant was always. Some nice guests too. I wouldn't be surprised if the next season is the final season, hope not I feel this show has at the very least 2 more seasons. Now comes the long wait again lol maybe I should watch the British series now.

Sutekh
03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
anyone seen the old uk version? intrigued as it was written by a guy in the house of lords

Space Suicide
03-01-2015, 08:38 PM
anyone seen the old uk version? intrigued as it was written by a guy in the house of lords

People bill that as better than the US version and vice versa. I haven't seen the UK version but that was executed perfectly in time to real life events while the US version on now is more fictitious with names and events. Matter of opinion though.

sentient02970
03-02-2015, 08:27 AM
I've only watched the first episode of Season 3. I do recall how I didn't enjoy it as well when binge watched, but I did realize how much I missed what I can only describe as the heavy mood and air of this show.

Dra508
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Watched in four big chunks so to me it felt like 4 movies with the last being the slowest, though I did like the cliff hanger end. Nothing like just begging you to come back next season.

I'm going to give this season equal weight as the others. So often hit show's story goes completely implausible, but I have to say, I really believe all that was done this season is entirely possible.
Loved the Putin-like character. They could have made him completely one dimensional.
Initially, I thought it was stoopid why he wanted Clare to resign as ambassador, but then he explained it and it made sense. It also furthered the dynamic love relationship that Frank and Claire have - it's so intense. He really would do anything to protect here. Later, I really believed he would do anything to get her journal back. And that the journal was how Doug got back with Frank was perfect.

sentient02970
03-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Nice breakdown of theme music and working with David Fincher on it (http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/this-is-why-the-house-of-cards-theme-song-is-killer?utm_source=tcpfbus)

littlemonkey613
03-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Initially, I thought it was stoopid why he wanted Clare to resign as ambassador, but then he explained it and it made sense. It also furthered the dynamic love relationship that Frank and Claire have - it's so intense. He really would do anything to protect here. Later, I really believed he would do anything to get her journal back. And that the journal was how Doug got back with Frank was perfect.

Man though, I was so duped and played because my image of Frank and Claire has always been what the author wrote about them. Like to the fucking T, then it blew up in my face when he legit stated that its who he wanted them to be (representing the audience I guess or maybe just me! lmao) and then Frank proved he loved the chair wayyy more than he loves Claire, at least in that awful moment at the end. I legit thought he would never lay a hand on her/ I was in shock that he said that shit to her. I wanted to believe she was the exception u.u. That being said its my own fault. It was obvious since the show started that once he had way more power than her, retaining their dynamic would be impossible. He used to understand what she wanted or at least he was naturally inclined to match up to it. That all changed this season. This was the first time I was truly disappointed in my baby Frank. For shame man.

Dra508
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Nice breakdown of theme music and working with David Fincher on it (http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/this-is-why-the-house-of-cards-theme-song-is-killer?utm_source=tcpfbus)How sweet - Supertramp!

@littlemonkey613 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=497) I'm not at all surprised that Frank freaked out on Claire. It was foreshadowed when he did the same to Dunbar.

Substance242
03-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Done watching, first season was the best for me but this is still first class quality TV entertainment. I avoided spoilers so I thought this is the final season, so maybe expected a bit more. :-) Like in the UK "version" finale years ago.

october_midnight
03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
About halfway through....the best line so far: "......what are you looking at?" hahaha

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-06-2015, 07:55 PM
My favorite line, probably ever on this show: "Love? That's what you're selling? Well I don't buy it."

Space Suicide
03-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Everything Underwood spouts off is a great quote.

Substance242
03-07-2015, 09:20 AM
It took me a while to figure out where I know this Russian Petrov from... BBC Sherlock of course! (obvious I know)

Edit: This is how I imagine the whole series could end - Claire looks into the camera and says something like "Do you think I did not know about you."

sentient02970
03-16-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm almost through Season 3 and was initially liking the side story of Doug but am beginning to find it to be a bit floppy in continuity (his new "job", did he get fired?). It's distracting because I thought the storyline had so much potential for this season.

Dra508
03-17-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm almost through Season 3 and was initially liking the side story of Doug but am beginning to find it to be a bit floppy in continuity (his new "job", did he get fired?). It's distracting because I thought the storyline had so much potential for this season.

Keep watching. To me, it made a bit more sense by the end, the Doug story that is,

Sallos
03-18-2015, 06:22 PM
This show keeps delivering, one of the best shows of the decade easly.

Am i the only one that thought the whole pissing on the father's grave and spitting at christ came off as a cheap attempt to make Frank more "edgy"?

sentient02970
03-19-2015, 10:00 AM
This show keeps delivering, one of the best shows of the decade easly.

Am i the only one that thought the whole pissing on the father's grave and spitting at christ came off as a cheap attempt to make Frank more "edgy"?

I don't quite see those as cheap attempts. What I like about how they are molding Frank is that I'll catch myself, on many occasions, feeling sympathy for him when he's in that mode of working hard for what he thinks is best for the nation (crossing partisan lines). But the show does very well at showing us he shadow self, the pieces that no other characters get to see and stuff he only shares when he breaks the 4th wall. To me, that lends to really letting the viewer understand the main character more than any other show I can think of. Those attempts just punch those aspects of him harder and wake us up from that sleepy sympathy we may find ourselves in when it comes to Frank.

Tums206_BFY
04-02-2015, 09:41 PM
The show has been picked up for a 4th season

fillow
04-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Finally done with this season.
Great as usual, the only thing is that Doug/Gavin/Rachel thing got real old real fast. I mean the whole repeating 'give me more info - where's my passport lock' thing

Maul
05-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Really liked the third season. Some people are saying it was kind of boring and not as thrilling as the previous ones but life in the White House has it's own rules.Really enjoyed it! I want more!

theimage13
06-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Finally finished S3. Nothing shocking or even mildly surprising, but I mostly enjoyed it anyway. The whole biographer story line got really old really fast - maybe I just didn't like the actor, or maybe I just wished that more time would be spent on other things. Ending was predictable and should have happened sooner in the series, but I guess they wanted to clearly define what S4 would be about.

Dra508
06-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Finally finished S3. Nothing shocking or even mildly surprising, but I mostly enjoyed it anyway. The whole biographer story line got really old really fast - maybe I just didn't like the actor, or maybe I just wished that more time would be spent on other things. Ending was predictable and should have happened sooner in the series, but I guess they wanted to clearly define what S4 would be about.What do you think Season 4 will be all about? I sort of doubt they could carry Claire leaving the WH for the whole season. I'm actually conflicted on whether her character makes any sense anymore. She's on-board, she's not on-board, fuck me, hit me, don't fuck me. Dye my hair (trite trick), re-bleach my hair.

theimage13
06-06-2015, 09:22 AM
What do you think Season 4 will be all about? I sort of doubt they could carry Claire leaving the WH for the whole season. I'm actually conflicted on whether her character makes any sense anymore. She's on-board, she's not on-board, fuck me, hit me, don't fuck me. Dye my hair (trite trick), re-bleach my hair.

I think there's a chance that Claire comes clean. Has she ever actually gotten her hands dirty, or has she just been a bystander? She could blow in Frank, ruin him, and make a run for office herself.

(I don't think any of that is particularly likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if any part of that actually came up.)

FineFinchTails
06-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Do you think Frank will become a Dictator and take over the world? Seems that's only what's left for him to do.

Dra508
06-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Do you think Frank will become a Dictator and take over the world? Seems that's only what's left for him to do.

If he could, he would, but he's not quite megalomaniac. Maybe he'd get himself a throne for his bedroom.

fillow
06-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Isn't Claire going to eventually bring the man down? I think I read something like this happened in original UK show (never watched it though). If it's the case, it may very well take the whole next season or even two.

theimage13
06-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Nope. Nope.

FineFinchTails
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Nope. Nope.

That's a shame. I was hoping this show was going to get out of control with even more violence, etc. If I was writing the episodes I'd make Frank take over the whole country and suspend elections, etc. It just seems logical to me that's where this should go. Look at this:

Season 1: Frank the Congressman
Season 2: Frank the VEEP
Season 3: Frank the POTUS
Season 4: Frank the Dictator

neorev
06-08-2015, 11:44 PM
They should build up Frank vs Claire next season...
And as much as Frank deep down loves Claire and vice versa, the gloves are off.
Claire pulls out the punches and uses her ins and knowledge to move up and get noticed.
The more Claire is in the spotlight, the more threats and attempts that are made on her life as we have seen before.
Claire becomes popular and makes her move into government, thus jeopardizing Frank's plans.
But she plans on giving away some pretty damning info about Frank to the public to ruin his chances, a last nail in the coffin move.
Final episode of Season 4, Frank has no options left and knows he cant possibly win this one.
He begs Claire not to go through with her plan to expose him at her next public speech.
The speech comes up and Frank must sit back amongst the representatives as Claire steps up to the podium.
She goes through the usual "I'm gonna be a great leader" speech and turns to give Frank a look.
A look that says, "And now it's time to talk about Frank."
You know this is the moment she's been planning, she turns to face the crowd and starts to speak...
Bam!
A gunshot rings at the press conference...
Claire is hit and falls to the ground as the security tackles the suspect who is screaming about "killing babies" and "abortions."
Attempts have been made on Claire, this one happens to be a success.
As Claire falls, Frank leaps to the podium and now cradles her in his arms and is completely frantic... a side of Frank we haven't seen.
He loves Claire and does not want her to die.
Claire whispers in his ear "You... you did this."
Frank looks at her and her eyes are mortified... her last thought "How could you do this?" and she passes.
Frank looks perplexed, he really had no part in this shooting even though it works in his favor.
But he destroyed at the thought Claire would think that he would go this far when it comes to her.
But Frank has killed before... something Claire knew he was capable of when he has no other options.

The end...

...of season 4

End of my bad House Of Cards fan fiction

Dra508
06-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, the writers have made Claire a strong character, but has lost on several occasions based on her naivety. I don't see her concurring Frank. Frank can only destroy Frank.

barkhammer
06-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, the writers have made Claire a strong character, but has lost on several occasions based on her naivety. I don't see her concurring Frank. Frank can only destroy Frank.

Conquering? In which case, I concur.

neorev
06-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Well Frank destroying Frank is my season 5.
Season 4 would see Claire stepping out of Frank's shadow and learning from her previous naivety
My season 4 was to get the ball rolling with Clare's death and blaming it on Frank affecting him in such a way....
And we would watch him unravel on a downward spiral for season 5 with the things he thought were secret coming out.
The end of series would be Frank being killed by Lucus (for Zoe) after finally being released from prison after several years.

neorev
06-09-2015, 07:00 PM
:rolleyes:

theimage13
06-10-2015, 02:51 PM

I think Doug could probably destroy Frank.

FineFinchTails
07-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Doesn't anyone find it ironic that Seth Grayson, Raymond Tusk, Remy Danton, etc are all trying to find dirt on the Underwoods to use against them (such as the abortion diary), and yet they aren't even aware of the SERIOUS stuff that they could find out (Peter Russo, Zoe Barnes, etc).

onthewall2983
09-17-2015, 03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dl8vqbgAog

onthewall2983
12-15-2015, 08:59 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/12373163_973883769301056_8798823652929415271_n.png ?oh=7906cd4d873bf38d70bac97d163a44d1&oe=570F02D8

october_midnight
12-15-2015, 09:03 PM
www.fu2016.com

Fuck yes.

fillow
12-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Sooo, who's worse? Him or Donald Trump?

Piko
12-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Trump hasn't killed anyone has he? I need to catch up. Never finished the second season.

onthewall2983
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGL42rywPM

Rabbit
01-10-2016, 11:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGL42rywPM
very excited for this. hopefully it's better than season 3.

if it ended after season 2 it could've ended up my fav show of all time.

theimage13
01-16-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm grossly disturbed by the fact that I went "yeah, we sort of do" when he said "America deserves Frank Underwood".

onthewall2983
01-28-2016, 05:55 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12565505_994734933882606_7426365735529205816_n.png ?oh=7623f9289823e0c80060bfccb2a28ab3&oe=572D2D16

october_midnight
02-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Sincerely hoping Beau Willimon's departure doesn't change anything, but I have faith it won't for the 5th season...

october_midnight
02-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Ooooh, Joel Kinnaman will be in this season.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/styles/tout_image_612x380/public/i/2016/02/02/joel-kinnaman.jpg?itok=Yi5A93IS

fillow
02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Underwood vs Holder. Bring it!

Space Suicide
02-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Is it lighting or is Underwood's hair graying there?

october_midnight
02-05-2016, 02:42 PM
So jacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8RdXRKnk6Y

theimage13
02-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Is it lighting or is Underwood's hair graying there?

Definitely doesn't look like the lighting to me. And since photos typically show that presidents tend to grey while they're in office, it would only make sense for them to take that approach with Underwood.

Space Suicide
02-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Definitely doesn't look like the lighting to me. And since photos typically show that presidents tend to grey while they're in office, it would only make sense for them to take that approach with Underwood.

I figured as much which is what prompted me to asking. Good thing I'm not alone in the thought.

onthewall2983
02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I wonder if there will be a time jump. His hair didn't look like that in the last episodes.

BRoswell
02-10-2016, 06:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTzycsqxYJ0

onthewall2983
02-23-2016, 01:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8BouHnX9I

theimage13
02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering, that wasn't just a promo video for the show - they really did hang his portrait in the Smithsonian.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/feb/22/house-of-cards-national-portrait-gallery-kevin-spacey-frank-underwood-washington

onthewall2983
03-03-2016, 12:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lk-h15NRsU

Baphomette
03-03-2016, 11:53 PM
To binge or not to binge...

Baphomette
03-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Season 4, Episode 1, 42 minutes in: "Don't be weird about it."

elevenism
03-04-2016, 07:10 AM
oh shit! it's time!

october_midnight
03-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Can't wait to get off work today to start in on this....hoping to get at least 2 episodes in tonight.

Baphomette
03-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Wow. What a turn around from last season!

emptydesk
03-05-2016, 05:32 AM
I'll probably spend half the weekend watching this goofy ass show.

Swykk
03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Holy shit, episode four! RIP Meechum

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Three episodes in, and man! Tension from the word go. There are so many plot lines already established, and shadiness is off to a great start this season. I love the addition of Lucas back in the mix, and Neve Campbell is surprisingly good in this role. One thing this show gets right is it's cast... man, give the casting crew an award.

theimage13
03-05-2016, 04:45 PM
I'll probably spend half the weekend watching this goofy ass show.

Half? Amateur. Should've been done by Saturday morning.

(/sarcasm)

Mantra
03-05-2016, 04:59 PM
I stopped watching this show after season two cause it was kinda good but also kinda ridiculous and weird.

Was season three any good? Should I get caught up on this shit?

Seriously, someone tell me what to do here. I need some guidance.

theimage13
03-05-2016, 05:39 PM
I stopped watching this show after season two cause it was kinda good but also kinda ridiculous and weird.

Was season three any good? Should I get caught up on this shit?

Seriously, someone tell me what to do here. I need some guidance.

A lot of people gave up at various points during Season 3. I will admit that I started to lose interest at times, but by the time the season closed I was thinking "well shit, I have to wait how long for the next episode?"

This season drew me in more than the last one did; there were far more instances in which I found myself just letting the next episode roll without thinking about it. It will make much, much more sense if you catch up on Season 3 first. If nothing else, at least read a Wikipedia summary of it or something. But I would caution against jumping right back in without catching up.

Your Name Here
03-09-2016, 06:09 PM

theimage13
03-11-2016, 07:31 AM
I finished season 4 I liked it although the premise of the Underwood ticket seems a bit of a stretch but its fiction I still enjoyed it.

So all the murdering and impeachment and whatnot from previous seasons doesn't seem like a stretch, but a person wildly popular with the country and largely responsible for your campaign even being afloat seems like they're taking things a bit far?

Rabbit
03-15-2016, 02:08 AM
season 4 is a mess. this show has 1 more season left in it.

onthewall2983
04-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Bingeing this back-to-back with S2 of Daredevil has created an almost irrational need to see a crossover

Frank vs. Frank

Sarah K
05-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I finished this last night, and I thought that season four was waaaaay better than season three.

It has morphed from a show were I could actually see some of the things happening in real life into a full on drama where nothing seems to be based in reality... But I enjoyed it a lot more this round!

onthewall2983
01-20-2017, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUZKyPBaR0&feature=youtu.be

theimage13
01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUZKyPBaR0&feature=youtu.be

How fucking amazing would it have been if they'd shot and finished the entire thing, and today just went "SURPRIIIIIIIISE" and released it? The prez would have a stroke when everyone just went "nvm better president to watch today".

onthewall2983
01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
I bet the delay is that the writers wanted the season to reflect current (or more likely then-current) concerns.

chris
01-27-2017, 11:39 PM
in light of current events, this show now seems sadly prophetic

onthewall2983
01-28-2017, 06:41 AM
I think Vice Principals did a better job reflecting the political climate, and without even trying mind you.

onthewall2983
05-01-2017, 01:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8Zyt8SF_U

FineFinchTails
05-02-2017, 12:44 PM
I was right?

I was hoping this show was going to get out of control with even more violence, etc. If I was writing the episodes I'd make Frank take over the whole country and suspend elections, etc. It just seems logical to me that's where this should go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8Zyt8SF_U

onthewall2983
05-16-2017, 06:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T0tdoabF_A

theimage13
05-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Ugh, I don't know if I can watch this show right now. Same reason I haven't started the Handmaid's Tail yet. The real world is bad enough; I don't know if I can handle my "entertainment" being a nagging reminder of that.

Baphomette
05-30-2017, 03:57 AM
Unyielding Frank FTW!

theimage13
06-05-2017, 07:19 AM
So I found myself watching this anyway, as I was already involved enough in the characters to keep it feeling fictitious - or at least sufficiently separated from the real word.

Spoiler-y opinions, having now finished the show.

I'm glad Tom Yates is dead. His character was absolutely insufferable in this season. And I don't know if it was the directing or just his acting, but he just seemed like this whiny emo 12 year old in an older man's body. But speaking of dead people - is anyone else thinking that LeAnn is really dead? All the foreshadowing in the world, but we never see a body. I'm sure that was done precisely to make people say "wait a minute".

elevenism
06-05-2017, 06:38 PM
i'm loving it.

wizfan
07-07-2017, 07:22 PM
The first half of this season dragged a lot despite the presence of Joel Kinnaman's Will Conway and his incredibly cute wife. The second half was better, the new characters were fun to watch (especially Patricia Clarkson and Campbell Scott) and some episodes had imaginative directing (Agnieszka Holland did some very cool work), but it's just not the same without Beau Willimon on board... Plus, it's gotten so over-the-top now that it's downright cartoonish sometimes. Still binge-worthy, but it needs a change of pace. The last episode's twists (not spoiling anything) showed some promise for big changes in Season 6.

In other news, Willimon is now writing a Hulu series about... the first mission on Mars? (http://decider.com/2017/06/27/so-why-did-house-of-cards-creator-beau-willimon-really-leave-the-show/)

neorev
10-30-2017, 05:09 PM
THE SIXTH AND FINAL SEASON

House of Cards to conclude with upcoming sixth season
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/899213-house-of-cards-to-conclude-with-upcoming-sixth-season

neorev
10-30-2017, 10:59 PM
HOUSE OF CARDS SPINOFFS MAY HAPPEN AT NETFLIX
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/899273-house-of-cards-spinoffs-may-happen-at-netflix

neorev
10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Production Suspended on House of Cards Season 6
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/899513-production-suspended-on-house-of-cards-season-6

october_midnight
11-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Wow.

Kevin Spacey officially fired from House of Cards. (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-fires-kevin-spacey-from-house-of-cards-1202607002/)

neorev
11-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Wow.

Kevin Spacey officially fired from House of Cards. (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-fires-kevin-spacey-from-house-of-cards-1202607002/)

Well this blows. I'm not for what Kevin Spacey has done, but you're kinda fucking over fans and paying supporters of your service, Netflix. Are they gonna remove every Harvey Weinstein produced picture as well?

theimage13
11-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Well this blows. I'm not for what Kevin Spacey has done, but you're kinda fucking over fans and paying supporters of your service, Netflix.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Eight people on the show's crew alone have accused him of sexual harassment. Eight. Numerous others have accused him of even worse. And your concern is "Netflix, ur totally screwing over your paying customers"?! Jesus. Get some perspective.

Your Weinstein analogy is a false equivalence. That's already been shot, produced, and aired. He's not actively employed in it. You can fire someone from a job; you can't fire them when the job has been done for years.

This behavior 100% warrants firing, and it doesn't fucking matter one ounce whether your service's fans are sad about it. But I'll play along anyway.

Frank Underwood is no longer the president. Claire Underwood is. Frank Underwood is being investigated for numerous crimes. Season 6: start off "one year later" with in-show media reports about the downfall of Frank Underwood; how he was finally found guilty of his crimes and thrown in jail. Or hell, just have him die from complications stemming from the assassination attempt. Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.

The biggest thing I was looking forward to in season 6 was watching Frank get what was coming to him. Watching his world come tumbling down around him. Am I little sad that I won't get to see that play out now? Sure, because Kevin Spacey is very skilled at his craft and portrayed an intriguing character very convincingly. But do I feel "fucked over" as a "paying supporter of Netflix"? Hell no. The victims of sexual harassment and assault everywhere are the ones who would be getting fucked over if Netflix said "whatever, our fans paid for House of Cards so we're gonna keep paying an accused serial abuser millions of dollars to star in it". THAT'S the fucked up move to make.

r_z
11-04-2017, 10:49 AM
There's also always the possibility to replace Spacey with another actor, no?

mfte
11-04-2017, 11:28 AM
There's also always the possibility to replace Spacey with another actor, no?

Another actor? And what happens when that actors turns out to have an affinity for sins of the flesh. I say go with CGI.

elevenism
11-04-2017, 11:28 AM
There's also always the possibility to replace Spacey with another actor, no?Nah, I don't think so. Not at this point.
Goddamnit. I hate this shit.

Disassociative
11-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Well this blows. I'm not for what Kevin Spacey has done, but you're kinda fucking over fans and paying supporters of your service, Netflix. Are they gonna remove every Harvey Weinstein produced picture as well?

Eight people on the show's crew alone have accused him of sexual harassment. Eight. Numerous others have accused him of even worse. And your concern is "Netflix, ur totally screwing over your paying customers"?! Jesus. Get some perspective.

Your Weinstein analogy is a false equivalence. That's already been shot, produced, and aired. He's not actively employed in it. You can fire someone from a job; you can't fire them when the job has been done for years.

This behavior 100% warrants firing, and it doesn't fucking matter one ounce whether your service's fans are sad about it. But I'll play along anyway.

Frank Underwood is no longer the president. Claire Underwood is. Frank Underwood is being investigated for numerous crimes. Season 6: start off "one year later" with in-show media reports about the downfall of Frank Underwood; how he was finally found guilty of his crimes and thrown in jail. Or hell, just have him die from complications stemming from the assassination attempt. Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.

The biggest thing I was looking forward to in season 6 was watching Frank get what was coming to him. Watching his world come tumbling down around him. Am I little sad that I won't get to see that play out now? Sure, because Kevin Spacey is very skilled at his craft and portrayed an intriguing character very convincingly. But do I feel "fucked over" as a "paying supporter of Netflix"? Hell no. The victims of sexual harassment and assault everywhere are the ones who would be getting fucked over if Netflix said "whatever, our fans paid for House of Cards so we're gonna keep paying an accused serial abuser millions of dollars to star in it". THAT'S the fucked up move to make.

You know who else is possibly getting fucked over? Nearly everyone else working on the show, including Robin Wright if the show never resumes production and is flatout cancelled.

I'm not defending Netflix's decision here - I'm just saying the scummery of Kevin Spacey has had a ripple effect and people who had nothing to do with what the fuckbags done are been punished too.

marodi
11-04-2017, 02:52 PM
I've never watched the show but the simplest solution to me seems to just kill his character off screen. Could that work?

Sister Midnight
11-04-2017, 03:01 PM
I've never watched the show but the simplest solution to me seems to just kill his character off screen. Could that work?

I have watched every season I guess I'm not giving away a spoiler since its in an ad and has been mentioned on several news outlets Spacey plays character President Frank Underwood. Presidents don't last forever (something I keep telling myself in real life as well) House Of Cards could continue on with a new President of The United States which would eliminate Spacey from the show.

neorev
11-04-2017, 03:16 PM

If Netflix are so high and mighty about rape, how come they haven't fired Danny Masterson from their series The Ranch? He has numerous rape accusations...

Netflix Takes No Action Against Danny Masterson Despite Multiple Rape Accusations
http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59fd03c5e4b0c9652fff718a

My point with Harvey Weinstein is Netflix are still making money off his aka the rapist's movies and those movies are a lure to their service. If you're going to stand for something, actually stand for something. But doing so would hurt Netflix's bottom line, so they only do a certain amount that won't hurt profits and pretend they stand for something.

For the series, they could have found a better way to get rid of his character and continue the series on. Kevin Spacey is gone and the series can continue naturally, everyone wins.

Vertigo
11-04-2017, 03:28 PM
What does the firing actually mean? We're only a few months from the season's airdate, and it was already intended to be the last one.

theimage13
11-04-2017, 04:10 PM
What does the firing actually mean? We're only a few months from the season's airdate, and it was already intended to be the last one.

Production was not finished. Don't know what point they were at, but it seems likely that they would have to re-write and re-shoot virtually the entire season in order to make it work. That's a huge expense, so they may decide not to do it. Hopefully, that would at least mean that anyone involved in production who was on contract will still be paid the full amount for what they would have made - I've seen it happen on numerous other jobs in the entertainment industry, so it's not out of the question to see a scenario in which the series gets canned but no one loses their paycheck.

theimage13
11-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Per the BBC:

House of Cards to resume filming in two weeks (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42135872)

I'm so happy to hear this. Selfishly, because I want to see the story conclude. Also somewhat selfishly, because I want to see just how freaking talented the writing staff is when it comes to basically re-doing an entire season, midway through production, sans one of the main characters.

As a production worker myself, I'm really happy to hear that all of the people who work on this will still have their jobs, save for anyone who was forced to take on other work during the period of uncertainty and won't be able to leave their new commitments. Plus Maryland's economy would've taken a huge hit if this had suddenly just packed up and disappeared, so I'm happy for them too.

But overall, what this shows more than anything else is some level of evidence to support the old "no one is irreplaceable" adage. For all the power that Spacey had in the production, they're proving that they can do it without him, and I love that. Hopefully this will set a huge precedent: you can't just do whatever you want and get away with it just because you're in a powerful position (unless, ya know, you're an elected official and there's no clear legal recourse for getting rid of you).

onthewall2983
11-27-2017, 10:36 AM
I have a feeling things are far from over as to whether or not this next season will even see the light of day.

theimage13
11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
I have a feeling things are far from over as to whether or not this next season will even see the light of day.

How come?

onthewall2983
11-27-2017, 10:25 PM
I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that this whole storm will somehow affect production. Then again the worst may be over, as I can't any worse charges levied at Spacey between now and whenever Netflix decides to air the last episodes.

theimage13
11-28-2017, 05:17 AM
I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that this whole storm will somehow affect production. Then again the worst may be over, as I can't any worse charges levied at Spacey between now and whenever Netflix decides to air the last episodes.

I mean....the storm was because of Spacey and his being in the show.

Production stopped because Spacey was in the show.

Space is no longer in the show.

Production is resuming.

I'm a pretty pessimistic person, but I don't see what the storm has to do with this show anymore. The only thing I can guess is that he still gets royalties from previous seasons, in which case Netflix could simply yank those and only have Season 6 be live when production is finished.

october_midnight
12-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Deal reached. Production resumes early 2018, with Spacey's character written out. (https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/04/netflix-house-of-cards-drops-kevin-spacey/?sr_source=Twitter)

october_midnight
03-05-2018, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQqeabxnNU

ltrandazzo
03-05-2018, 09:19 AM
My hope is that the faintest of mentions is given to Frank's departure. The ending for the previous season ended up being a perfect jumping off for him.

That, or show a Spacey mock-up being brutally murdered in prison or something.

theimage13
04-06-2018, 09:46 PM
https://cdn.dopl3r.com/memes_files/eric-martin-atmrericmartin1d-netflix-is-getting-serious-normally-they-only-kill-the-character-business-insideratbusinessinsi-house-of-cards-producers-are-talking-about-killing-off-kevin-spacey-via-atvariety-readbi-2a7vszu-S43Jk.jpg

Damage
04-08-2018, 01:44 AM
Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.

Completely agree. So many ways they can write Frank out and continue Robin as the next President!

elevenism
04-08-2018, 02:45 PM
https://cdn.dopl3r.com/memes_files/eric-martin-atmrericmartin1d-netflix-is-getting-serious-normally-they-only-kill-the-character-business-insideratbusinessinsi-house-of-cards-producers-are-talking-about-killing-off-kevin-spacey-via-atvariety-readbi-2a7vszu-S43Jk.jpg

oh that's fucking hilarious.

october_midnight
07-04-2018, 10:36 AM
https://twitter.com/HouseofCards/status/1014531781196963842

elevenism
07-04-2018, 11:09 AM
I hope this final season parallels current events.

october_midnight
08-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Final season drops November 2.

theimage13
08-07-2018, 10:12 AM
I hope this final season parallels current events.

I hope not. House of Cards has been like Game of Thrones to me...a show that provides a lighthearted look at political scheming compared to the real world.

elevenism
08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I hope not. House of Cards has been like Game of Thrones to me...a show that provides a lighthearted look at political scheming compared to the real world.I feel you there.
I guess I'll walk that back a bit and say that I look forward to it being AWARE of and maybe like hinting at current events.

Ha, the fact that anyone is calling this show "light hearted" is frightening to me.

neorev
08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Final season drops November 2.

Damn, final season of House Of Cards and new Prodigy album on the same day.

october_midnight
09-05-2018, 08:33 AM
https://twitter.com/HouseofCards/status/1037332019745681409

ltrandazzo
09-05-2018, 09:38 AM
https://twitter.com/HouseofCards/status/1037332019745681409

Perfect.

Mantra
09-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Damn, final season of House Of Cards and new Prodigy album on the same day.
watch the show on mute while you listen to the new album. maybe they sync up perfectly.

theimage13
09-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Man, that's actually disappointing. He deserved worse than that.

elevenism
09-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Man, that's actually disappointing. He deserved worse than that.
Worse than death? How would that work though?

onthewall2983
09-06-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm guessing the manner in which he died will be a major plot point for this final season.

theimage13
09-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Worse than death? How would that work though?

For a man like Frank, being convicted of his crimes and sent to prison (without special treatment) while he has to hear about Claire taking over "his" job on a daily basis. It would be torture for him. It would drive him mad. It would rip his soul apart.

Death is too quick and easy.

tremolo
09-08-2018, 06:49 AM
For a man like Frank, being convicted of his crimes and sent to prison (without special treatment) while he has to hear about Claire taking over "his" job on a daily basis. It would be torture for him. It would drive him mad. It would rip his soul apart.

Death is too quick and easy.

You are evil.

onthewall2983
09-27-2018, 04:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUL0nQFZEpo

Archive_Reports
09-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Now that Spacey's gone, I wish we weren't facing the final season. Other than everything toppling down on him, there wasn't much the show could do. Killing him off and having Claire take over provides more possibilities.

theimage13
09-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Now that Spacey's gone, I wish we weren't facing the final season. Other than everything toppling down on him, there wasn't much the show could do. Killing him off and having Claire take over provides more possibilities.

Claire already took over. His departure is relatively irrelevant in that regard.

Substance242
11-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Beware, Season 6 is out today! Time to stop visiting this thread for a while. :-)

theimage13
11-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Beware, Season 6 is out today! Time to stop visiting this thread for a while. :-)

Reviews seemed to be pretty negative from what I saw. Still going to watch it (or at least, start it).

ickyvicky
11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Reviews seemed to be pretty negative from what I saw. Still going to watch it (or at least, start it).

That's what I saw too. I'm still going to watch it.