PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

fillow
06-26-2013, 02:05 PM
But first! 10th anniversary of Closure DVD.

wait, nevermind.

[parasite]
06-26-2013, 02:08 PM
i would LOVE it hear Skrillex remix any nin track!
that would make me a happy lad!

sheepdean
06-26-2013, 02:19 PM
i would LOVE it hear Skrillex remix any nin track!
that would make me a happy lad!
Well, we've had deadmau5 on HTDA, so that wouldn't be TOO outlandish. Though personally I'd rather hear more like that Olof Drejer mix

fillow
06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Jokes aside, upcoming Nashville date in October is the closest to 25th anniversary of first NIN show on Skinny Puppy tour.

sheepdean
06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Jokes aside, upcoming Nashville date in October is the closest to 25th anniversary of first NIN show on Skinny Puppy tour.
Someone should tell Trent that, there's no way he remembers

billpulsipher
06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
keep Skrillex far far far away from ANYTHING NIN related

sheepdean
06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Purely to annoy you: Skrillex (right) and Atticus :P

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxo007CIUS1qko0x8o1_500.jpg

ZeroisGreg
06-26-2013, 05:59 PM

VERY VERY far

JamesCmuse
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
He kind of looks a bit like Cobain in that photo, only his hair is black..

GavinCollins420
06-26-2013, 06:13 PM

What he said.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Purely to annoy you: Skrillex (right) and Atticus :P

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxo007CIUS1qko0x8o1_500.jpg

i'm assuming that's from when atticus was working with From First To Last?

wizfan
06-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Speaking of Atticus, I had no idea he had contributed to a Barry Adamson album (credited to have contributed "Additional Programming, Beats & Sounds")!

sheepdean
06-27-2013, 09:14 AM
i'm assuming that's from when atticus was working with From First To Last?It was, though he also produced/programmed for Sonny Moore/Skrillex's never-released pre-dubstep solo album.
Speaking of Atticus, I had no idea he had contributed to a Barry Adamson album (credited to have contributed "Additional Programming, Beats & Sounds")!He contributed to http://www.discogs.com/artist/Atticus+Ross#t=&q=barry+adamson&p=1 (http://http://[URL="http://[URL="http://[URL"") more than one, and Barry appeared on a 12 Rounds track. They're pretty good friends afaik.Is this off topic enough yet?

r_z
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Well, now that you mentioned 12 Rounds, we could talk about their never released album and cry ourselves to sleep over it.

Again.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
It was, though he also produced/programmed for Sonny Moore/Skrillex's never-released pre-dubstep solo album.

i actually really liked the stuff sonny was doing before he turned into skirllex (and i love Heroine by FFTL). too bad he abandoned all of his talent and started making music that's so bad it makes me want to cause myself to go deaf.

sheepdean
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, now that you mentioned 12 Rounds, we could talk about their never released album and cry ourselves to sleep over it.

Again.
Atticus brought it up at a panel recently, so at least he hasn't forgotten.

Wolfkiller
06-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Apologies for the face palm, phone browsing and fat fingered the screen!

r_z
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Man, I hope, they'll get to releasing it eventually. Fingers crossed.

pigpen
06-27-2013, 10:09 PM
If TR would have made a record in '97, it would have been his best work...

sheepdean
06-27-2013, 11:05 PM
If TR would have made a record in '97, it would have been his best work...
Both TPD and Closure came out in 97...

gorast
06-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Both TPD and Closure came out in 97...
Then clearly The Perfect Drug is the best thing he's ever written.

So good he can't even play it live.

Ryan
06-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Then clearly The Perfect Drug is the best thing he's ever written.

So good he can't even play it live.

I found this post amusing.

neorev
06-27-2013, 11:58 PM
i always dug his remix of Puff Daddy's "Victory"
love the music on that one... vocals i don't mind so much... but the production was awesome

and i love The Perfect Drug... i wish Trent stuck with that style or maybe released an EP of music more in that direction
love the breaks and during the mid to late 90's, America had the electronica boom with acts like The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Underworld, Crystal Method, etc being big at the time. i think that had a lot of influence during this period of NIN. Trent even did vocals on Josh Wink's track during this time.

don't hurt me, but The Perfect Drug is my favorite NIN track
and i love tracks like A Violet Fluid

i hear people bash "Underneath It All" when that is one of my favorite tracks from The Fragile

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 12:09 AM
America had the electronica boom with acts like The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Underworld, Crystal Method, etc being big at the time.

Offtopic, but you know only one of those are American?

simonn
06-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Why do NIN never/hardly ever (?) release t-shirts with the album cover on - I'd love a Fragile one, and in particular a Hesitation Marks one. That's the one disappointment of them being likely to play the O2 in London again, you never see iffy t-shirt sellers outside there trying to flog non-official t-shirts. The NIN ones on the whole are a bit dull. (My LITS tour one aside of course...)

danebraddy
06-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Why do NIN never/hardly ever (?) release t-shirts with the album cover on - I'd love a Fragile one, and in particular a Hesitation Marks one. That's the one disappointment of them being likely to play the O2 in London again, you never see iffy t-shirt sellers outside there trying to flog non-official t-shirts. The NIN ones on the whole are a bit dull. (My LITS tour one aside of course...)

There was a Hesitation Marks one, it was available until the 14th of June, I snagged one when I preordered.

scorpiusdiamond
06-28-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm currently moving out of my apartment and I'm trying to get as much packing done before the new video comes out because I know I'm just going to end up watching it on a loop.

MrSlfDstruct
06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
There was a Hesitation Marks one, it was available until the 14th of June, I snagged one when I preordered.

That wasn't the album cover though, just the new logo.

Vertigo
06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
There was that Fragile t-shirt which incorporated the leafy elements of the cover art. Wish I had that one...

neorev
06-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Offtopic, but you know only one of those are American?

i meant boom in popularity over here in the States... not that the acts listed are American.

jmtd
06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
i meant boom in popularity over here in the States... not that the acts listed are American.

Yeah I gotcha. Orbital were big in uk eons before that. So it goes

simonn
06-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Thank you for the reassurance, thought I'd missed something then, despite being on the album release site pretty damn frequently for that sort of occurence....knew it wasn't there at the start of 'the campaign'.

simonn
06-28-2013, 04:55 PM
There was that Fragile t-shirt which incorporated the leafy elements of the cover art. Wish I had that one...

Goddamit...(sp) UK/US

wizfan
06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Uh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO9Sew0y6cY

Wolfkiller
06-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Not as good as the kid taking names on the dance floor, but a vast improvement on the official video.

ambergris
06-29-2013, 02:34 PM

I hope the Hesitation Marks t-shirt has long sleeves.

allegro
06-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I hope the Hesitation Marks t-shirt has long sleeves.
oh yeah me too, gotta cover them up

Fangster_
06-29-2013, 06:16 PM
oh yeah me too, gotta cover them up

First I was like ha, yeah, our skinny emo arms.

Then oh riiiiiight.

But you guys have skinny arms too... eh? ;__;

thefragile_jake
06-29-2013, 06:54 PM
I think Came Back Haunted might be my favorite NIN single in quite sometime...when compared to tracks like Survivalism and Discipline. I can't get it out of my head and now the David Lynch video gives the song an even creepier vibe.

I'm watching the Slip rehearsal DVD and Head Down always packs a mean punch live...I always think that song starts off kind of weak but I love where it ends up.

You talking about the reddish shirt? I'm so pissed at myself for not ordering that...I was pumped on that one. Maybe they'll have it at the shows this fall?

allegro
06-29-2013, 08:20 PM
edited edited

ninsp
06-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Here's a thought...NIN fans are really annoying.

The fact that, to this day, there are so many fans still desperately clinging on for a new album that sounds like TDS is absurd. I mean, CBH sounds like modern Pretty Hate Machine and they still complain. The video for it is very 80s industrial style. Too abrasive. The artwork is a throwback to the 90s. Too repetitive. His vocals sound like The Fragile-era...too old to sound like that. I don't understand and it's kind of ridiculous how he can't win. Honestly, I mean, I think the reason behind it is all of his albums do sound so different, but it's starting to grate on my nerves. I just need to stop looking on the internet.

Also, seriously in regards to merch, I find it so annoying that there is a lot of NIN The Downward Spiral-era stuff, like T-shirts and posters and vinyls...but The Fragile is neglected. I would KILL for a Fragile T-shirt. Pay $50 if I had to.

jmtd
06-30-2013, 02:35 AM
I'm watching the Slip rehearsal DVD and Head Down always packs a mean punch live...I always think that song starts off kind of weak but I love where it ends up.

Head Down was, for a while, my favourite slip track but I always felt the live recordings of it sounded flat around the chorus. I forgot that there was a rehearsal vid for it, I'll have to rewatch.

Fangster_
06-30-2013, 09:22 AM
edited edited

Dude. You gave me that fuzzy feeling of being quoted and left me with this. Please don't fuck with my head, it's not strong enough for internet mind games.

Also, Daisy just can't happen soon enough.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2s84ao9.jpg

Go home Spotify, you're PISSED.

seasonsinthesky
06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Head Down was, for a while, my favourite slip track but I always felt the live recordings of it sounded flat around the chorus. I forgot that there was a rehearsal vid for it, I'll have to rewatch.

definitely. the chorus is the best part because of the awesome guitars... which they drop out in the live arrangement. never understood that decision!

BenAkenobi
07-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Here's a thought...NIN fans are really annoying.

... His vocals sound like The Fragile-era...too old to sound like that...

Wait, where? In CBH? Really? I'll be annoying just to make sure: for you 2013 NIN sounds like 1999 NIN? Just listen to 2nd verse, starting at 1' 45''. I stopped struggling to understand what it's about. Very muddy almost as if he didn't want to be understood. Compare to any song on Fragile, it's night and day. Or you could say it's apples and oranges, i guess.

jmtd
07-01-2013, 03:45 AM
"TapeWorm.net is among the top domain names out of the 164,381 we have listed in the health category"

ninsp
07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Wait, where? In CBH? Really? I'll be annoying just to make sure: for you 2013 NIN sounds like 1999 NIN? Just listen to 2nd verse, starting at 1' 45''. I stopped struggling to understand what it's about. Very muddy almost as if he didn't want to be understood. Compare to any song on Fragile, it's night and day. Or you could say it's apples and oranges, i guess.

Throughout the entire song, such as the chorus. He really brings back that Fragile-style vocal there. But it's most noticeable, especially in the later part with the "haunt-haunt-haunt-ED!" part. I mean, he's never gonna sound exactly like that era again, but his voice really changed a lot during YZ/The Slip (for the worse, in my opinion) and it's good to hear him fight through vocal changes with changing the style.

I mean, it's clearly not coincidence that I've noticed it as have many people. The entire song is a throwback to all the eras of NIN, and Trent said it was familiar on purpose. Likely he invoked some of those vocal patterns again for good reason.

dlb
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
his voice really changed a lot during YZ/The Slip (for the worse, in my opinion) and it's good to hear him fight through vocal changes with changing the style.

It's funny you'd say that. While I also appreciate a slight change in his style I think his vocals on the Slip were the best since with_teeth. Live is a whole different chapter though. While I'm not too fond of his many "heys" and "ohs" I love how he's gotten deeper and deeper and still being able to maintain the high pitched screams (e.g. march of the pigs).

ninsp
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
It's funny you'd say that. While I also appreciate a slight change in his style I think his vocals on the Slip were the best since with_teeth. Live is a whole different chapter though. While I'm not too fond of his many "heys" and "ohs" I love how he's gotten deeper and deeper and still being able to maintain the high pitched screams (e.g. march of the pigs).

Oddly enough, I think that CBH isn't as deep as he was on The Slip. I liked the older vocals but I still appreciate both styles. I like The Slip's vocals on the slower songs (Lights in the Sky) and on songs like Head Down, but others I feel strained (still great). And live, I tend to agree, except when he goes back and tries to sing songs like Last...no. Sounds terrible. But when he just screams, sounds the same. Love it. I think he has more range overall now, but some songs I don't think he should sing anymore, like Last.

jmtd
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Oddly enough, I think that CBH isn't as deep as he was on The Slip. I liked the older vocals but I still appreciate both styles. I like The Slip's vocals on the slower songs (Lights in the Sky) and on songs like Head Down, but others I feel strained (still great). And live, I tend to agree, except when he goes back and tries to sing songs like Last...no. Sounds terrible. But when he just screams, sounds the same. Love it. I think he has more range overall now, but some songs I don't think he should sing anymore, like Last.

I know what you mean (that current voice does not suit Last) but to nitpick, he didn't used to sing it at all: it debuted in 2007.

Shadaloo
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Every fucking time a NIN album comes out, I look at my collection, and every fucking time the 3 WITT single sleeves which my kid brother mangled with a pair of scissors mock me.

Deepvoid
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM

You are 100% spot on. The chorus on the album is very atmospheric while the live version is terribly flat. I actually rewatched the rehearsal footage like 2 days ago and it will not change how you feel.

JamesCmuse
07-02-2013, 06:10 PM
You are 100% spot on. The chorus on the album is very atmospheric while the live version is terribly flat. I actually rewatched the rehearsal footage like 2 days ago and it will not change how you feel.

You guys feel the exact way I feel. Although I do like some elements of it live... Trent seems to get so into it and the vocals are incredible. The guitar is flat though. Needs more OOMPH.

hobochic
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
On a random note, where the hell did Leo Herrera go? I'm starting to think he was the secret ingredient for teh nin epix.

Bmw1185
07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
On a random note, where the hell did Leo Herrera go? I'm starting to think he was the secret ingredient for teh nin epix.

Good question. He still hangs with the guys as far as I know. Friends of mine hung out with him and Rob in NYC during Wave Goodbye. But I agree, he needs to be there for good epicness karma

Vertigo
07-02-2013, 07:01 PM

According to Ninwiki he was still working backstage at the live shows in 2008, maybe later.

If you're referring to the Fragile-era studio material though, he's never credited particularly prominently - often as a 'second engineer', with people like Alan Moulder listed separately as 'engineer'. In my opinion, Keith Hillebrandt and Dave Ogilvie are closer to what you're referring to. And Moulder, obviously, but he's had a hand in virtually everything.

hobochic
07-02-2013, 07:09 PM
According to Ninwiki he was still working backstage at the live shows in 2008, maybe later.

If you're referring to the Fragile-era studio material though, he's never credited particularly prominently - often as a 'second engineer', with people like Alan Moulder listed separately as 'engineer'. In my opinion, Keith Hillebrandt and Dave Ogilvie are closer to what you're referring to. And Moulder, obviously, but he's had a hand in virtually everything.

Yeah, I meant his valuable presence more as a "mascot". He kinda brought a comic relief to the nin.com photos of back in the day.

MrSlfDstruct
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Every fucking time a NIN album comes out, I look at my collection, and every fucking time the 3 WITT single sleeves which my kid brother mangled with a pair of scissors mock me.

I know that feeling. The cover of my Broken digipack is taped on since my girlfriend in high school stepped on it getting into my car and ripped it clean off at the spine. One of these days I'll replace it, although it's already been 15 years. Gives it character I suppose. I'll never forget her holding up the mangled, torn flap and remarking that the album was ironically titled Broken.

Sucks even more that it's WITT though. Not exactly cheap and/or easy to come by.

Wolfkiller
07-04-2013, 01:08 AM
So I was just hanging out with Trent and his wife in their pool. Some lesbian was insisting I try her beers. After requesting wine instead, I woke up on my couch.

Khrz
07-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Sucks even more that it's WITT though. Not exactly cheap and/or easy to come by.

Which WITT singles are you talking about ? The ones I have are all in a plastic case, you'd have to really be pissed off at them to ruin them with scissors ?
Edit : holy shit they're worth THAT much ? O_O

thefragile_jake
07-04-2013, 03:13 AM
http://www.ninwiki.com/images/3/34/Drenin.jpg

I've always thought this picture was really cool.

Fangster_
07-04-2013, 03:14 AM
The added logo on the TDS DE artwork looks so pasted and out of place. Kills all estheticism (has to be the right word) of the original.

jmtd
07-04-2013, 03:33 AM

Dre looks like he's got american football shoulder pads on

Ryan
07-04-2013, 06:32 AM

Bullshit. You'd love to experience this live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7iGw5nm1k

jessamineny
07-04-2013, 07:02 AM
My favorite song live. (And I did see that. Twas awesome.)

Papagolash
07-04-2013, 07:24 AM

I've always wondered whos arm that is.

Vertigo
07-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Richard Patrick's. This is the long-sought-after proof that he's responsible for the direction of The Fragile.

fillow
07-04-2013, 07:58 AM
it's The Presence

Shadaloo
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Which WITT singles are you talking about ? The ones I have are all in a plastic case, you'd have to really be pissed off at them to ruin them with scissors ?

The three I've got came in the thin jewel cases; I'd bought them at HMV as soon as they came out. The discs themselves are fine thankfully; What happened was my little bro decided that he was going to be artistic and so cut the lower edges off of the sleeves and put all three of them into a triple-CD case I had lying around so that they'd look like a nice package. You should have seen his happy face when he presented it to me. You should also have seen my face. When I get replacements I'll happily make a thread in the trading forum for a lucky recipient who can have them for free.

thefragile_jake
07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Bullshit. You'd love to experience this live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7iGw5nm1k

This sounds great!

Plus I was checking out NINWiki last night and I found this access question...

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/0/0d/7_13_04questions3.gif

hobochic
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Not a fan of the "come come c'mon" chorus...

allegro
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Not a fan of the "come come c'mon" chorus...
The whole thing is like the Cure doing Last. On Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve. Brought to you by Chevy Trucks. Chevy: It's what drives America.

thefragile_jake
07-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I was thinking about how I mentioned the Fragile reissue a couple days ago on here and it got me thinking about what could be included as far as additional content is concerned...

If you think of how the deluxe edition of TDS had an second disc for certain specific cuts off of Further Down the Spiral, Closer to God and then his soundtrack singles...it'd be cool to think of perhaps a THIRD disc for a Fragile deluxe edition. Tracks like Deep, 10 Miles High, New Flesh, Metal, The Day the World Went Away (Quiet) should obviously be included...and maybe we'd finally hear some Fragile songs hidden away that didn't make the cut? We know he had tons of things he was working on since wasn't the music for Banged and Blown Through by Saul Williams recorded during the Fragile sessions? It would be awesome to hear some Fragile demos like we heard Heresy, Ruiner and Reptile demos on the deluxe remaster of TDS.

Heck, while we're on the subject...I'd love to even see a fourth disc of dvd content on music videos, behind the scenes and live footage!

I really look forward to seeing the production and packaging of this thing whenever it comes out.

sick among the pure
07-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I believe Trent said there are no fleshed out demos for The Fragile like what we got on TDS releases, that it was mostly loops and sounds, which he sent to Saul for Niggy, and the ones he liked were chosen to include in some of the songs.
As much as I would love to hear true "demo" songs that didn't make the cut, I don't believe such things actually exist.
I would love to hear the other loops/sounds/pieces that he didn't use, maybe on a disc of files for remixing like with YZR.

dlb
07-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Haven't listened to it in a while I'm really looking forward to see came back haunted to be played live. Hopefully pro-shot in some form over the course of the festival season or via Rob.

butter_hole
07-05-2013, 02:53 AM
I saw an interview with Trent from 2000 recently where he said he had just gone over the cd full of left over Fragile stuff and had really liked what he had heard. Maybe there's more than we think!

hobochic
07-05-2013, 04:00 AM
behind the scenes...

I'd love more behind the scenes sort of like the "Just Like You Imagined" rehearsal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ

jessamineny
07-05-2013, 05:18 AM
I believe Trent said there are no fleshed out demos for The Fragile like what we got on TDS releases, that it was mostly loops and sounds, which he sent to Saul for Niggy, and the ones he liked were chosen to include in some of the songs.
As much as I would love to hear true "demo" songs that didn't make the cut, I don't believe such things actually exist.
I would love to hear the other loops/sounds/pieces that he didn't use, maybe on a disc of files for remixing like with YZR.

Well, we know he's a pretty good liar, right??...

katara
07-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I've read the quotation about leftover Fragile material going to Niggy Tardust. Is there any proof about there being no demos? I can't believe that. Specifically, there's a Fragile-era journal about how TR had torn something loose in his throat from doing so many takes of We're In This Together. So there must be at least alternate takes of that song. Also, there's the story about him going to a house in the country on his own and writing nothing but La Mer. I doubt he'd have recorded the full song there; he'd have made a demo and taken it back to New Orleans for the final cut, surely.

jmtd
07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Alternate vocal takes. They may have never been mixed with the rest of the track. There are/were likely alternative vocal takes for every NIN song.

fillow
07-05-2013, 02:52 PM
He spent two goddamn years recording the album and once joked about releasing it on 6 CDs. I bet the amount of unreleased music from these sessions can match Mellon Collie outtakes and whatever Trent put on that CD he gave to Saul Williams is just a small portion of that (remember it also had some Tapeworm stuff). With the way the album was written and recorded, I'm pretty sure there are dozens of demos for each finished song, it's just that there likely aren't any definitive ones. Just snapshots of various stages of completion.

katara
07-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Alternate vocal takes. They may have never been mixed with the rest of the track. There are/were likely alternative vocal takes for every NIN song.
I'm pretty sure most of the fanbase would splooge everywhere if there were even just a few songs that had different vocal takes mixed in with a drum machine and a single loose melody line. I know I would.

That said, it would be fucking lame if The Fragile DE was just the album remastered with Things Falling Apart as a 'bonus' disc, especially with the delay bordering on almost Chinese Democracy absurdity [it's been nine years!]. A 5.1 mix would be great, but a lot of us want closure on the fabled Lost Fragile Tracks that have been shrouded in mystery from Day 1 [even though they've probably all been sucked into Niggy].

Papagolash
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I'd love to hear the original ending for Somewhat Damaged.

sick among the pure
07-05-2013, 07:46 PM
What I'm saying isn't that there's no unused stuff out there that Trent has from working on The Fragile, but that I remember Trent saying something along the lines of there being no full demo-like songs that were simply not released. I'm sure there are early workings of the tracks, but not "Fragile songs hidden away that didn't make the cut".

But yeah, if Trent was lying about that so it would be a surprise when the deluxe edition comes out, that would be awesome. I'm just not expecting it to happen based off what's he's said on the subject.

jessamineny
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Or just so people would stop bugging him about it.

sheepdean
07-05-2013, 08:13 PM
ITT: Fragile DE will have things on and we don't know what they are or when it's out.

Frozen Beach
07-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I hope for the deluxe edition, they use the vinyl version with all the longer fades and stuff.

ZeroisGreg
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
What about Trent's mentioning supplemental material he was thinking about while Moulder was re-mastering The Fragile? I mean not while mastering but during that period he seemed excited about hearing this album again so much that he wanted to add a few new tracks.

TR: Sitting with Alan Moulder mixing The Wretched in 5.1. Lots of memories...

Ryan
07-07-2013, 03:20 AM
I wish this ended up happening.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/N/Nine_Inch_Nails/2005/05/20/1048898.html

In response to disappointed NIN fans who have questioned this logic, Reznor told the Sun for the first time that a special With Teeth packaging is in the works. To coincide with an arena tour set to be announced in June, he has planned a deluxe box to be sold at shows and on-line.

"If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."

howdidislipinto
07-07-2013, 04:13 AM
I wish this ended up happening.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/N/Nine_Inch_Nails/2005/05/20/1048898.html

In response to disappointed NIN fans who have questioned this logic, Reznor told the Sun for the first time that a special With Teeth packaging is in the works. To coincide with an arena tour set to be announced in June, he has planned a deluxe box to be sold at shows and on-line.

"If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."

To me, this is a way more interesting "what if" than The Fragile DE, because we know the Fragile DE will eventually happen. But what happened to this With Teeth edition? They obviously had a plan and perhaps even the skeleton of a story they wanted to tell, but dropped it when the more exciting Year Zero opportunity came along. I think the "complete" With Teeth is one of the more interesting unfinished/unreleased NIN projects out there.

botley
07-07-2013, 08:44 AM
With Teeth was always supposed to lead directly into the next record because of the unfinished "concept" slots from the Bleedthrough story, which TR didn't get around to actually writing enough songs to flesh out. Judging from what he said later, some kind of daydream he had on the tour bus that inspired Year Zero led to the Bleedthrough/With Teeth storyline-essay-thing about sobriety and political awareness being scrapped in its favour.

This is the only theory I've seen that explains why "The Warning" was one of the song titles on the With Teeth lyrics poster but has no visible lyrics under it: TR and Rob Sheridan got their thematic world-building ambitions for an apocalyptic time-traveling scenario from the Bleedthrough concept, which was a metaphor for "waking up" to a new feeling of presence after kicking booze.

Swap out the presence of sobriety with the Presence — and you have YZ.

allegro
07-07-2013, 10:03 AM
And the poison in the water is alcohol?

BRoswell
07-07-2013, 11:08 AM
To me, this is a way more interesting "what if" than The Fragile DE, because we know the Fragile DE will eventually happen. But what happened to this With Teeth edition?

One word: Interscope.

imail724
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I hope for the deluxe edition, they use the vinyl version with all the longer fades and stuff.
This plus the Appendage to Please from the cassette version, all remastered is all I ask.

Scarlet Siren
07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm ready for another album track.... a snippet at the very least. Something. ANYTHING!!!

BenAkenobi
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm ready for another album track.... a snippet at the very least. Something. ANYTHING!!!

Instead of just ANYTHING!!!, how about a song in which Trent actually tried singing? Just as a compensation for CBH y'know

scorpiusdiamond
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Following up from my post in NIN-Spotting and in response to the (now corrected) Guardian article, I made a beginner's list of my own (http://fearandloathingblog.tumblr.com/post/54922656763/nine-inch-nails-a-beginners-guide-written-by-an).
This is just my opinion on what I think would be best for first time listeners who want to delve deep into a new artist, I know a lot of people would have differing ideas.

Vertigo
07-09-2013, 12:52 PM
As you say, everyone will have their own opinion on the selection of tracks, but that's a well-written and enjoyable article. Great job.

fillow
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
My beginning was The Fragile -> Soundtracks* -> AATCHB -> Things Falling Apart -> everything else.

*I had Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway CDs way before The Fragile, but didn't pay much attention to NIN songs before I was introduced to TF

Wolfkiller
07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
So I'm at this NIN show, watching from the stage and shit is getting CRAZY. Someone ends up getting hurt in the pit and a concerned concert goer signals to Trent that the dude broke his arm. Trent stops the show and picks out a bottle of alcohol from his stash to take to the guy. He is remarking how uncomfortable he is driving himself to this guy's house in the middle of the day in his pleather pants or whatever the hell is wearing. A conversation ensues about how Steve should driving considering how much he is getting paid. Back at the venue, the band starts the first riff of the song as Trent rides a BMX bicycle through the crowd and dives onto the stage to roll tackle the mic stand and start singing. Only now I'M Trent, laying on floor trying to remember the words while David Bowie is helping to sing along. I manage to stand up and bite David Bowie's skinny flexing bicep, only David Bowie is now a woman singing onstage instead. While thinking about how neither myself, Marilyn Manson, or woman-Bowie have any business flexing our skinny arms, I am awoken by my dogs who have decided to trample me and bathe my face to tell me they need to go outside to pee.

danebraddy
07-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Who is Steve?

butter_hole
07-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Who is Steve?
he gets paid THAT much man, you could at least remember him

allegro
07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Steve is eating his heart out

Wolfkiller
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Who is Steve?

*shrug* His manager? I wasn't Trent at that point, I don't know.

jmtd
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Red t shirt arrived (in the uk). In two minds whether to trade it for a grey one.

howdidislipinto
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
One word: Interscope.

I don't think that's the case. Trent mentioned Interscope telling him a With Teeth DE was too expensive for the original release (after initially being the ones who told him to make one, as I recall), but this version was discussed later, and meant to be a piece of tour merchandise that wouldn't have even included the album itself. Somehow our album or disc was supposed to fit into it. Interscope would've had nothing to do with that.

botley
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
TR got the last laugh when he spent his Year Zero album advance cash from Interscope on building the ARG instead of studio time.

pigpen
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Steve Gottlieb, the owner of TVT.

I realize that they probably rolled out all the HM stuff to generate interest in the band for the upcoming tour, but does
anyone else feel maybe it was a little premature? We still have almost 2 months to go before the album release..

Indefinite_Cure
07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Steve Gottlieb, the owner of TVT.

I realize that they probably rolled out all the HM stuff to generate interest in the band for the upcoming tour, but does
anyone else feel maybe it was a little premature? We still have almost 2 months to go before the album release..
We're all here losing some time because we anticipate the new album yet it's still fucking 2 months away OF COURSE IT WAS PREMATURE!!!

;)

MrSlfDstruct
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I too was hoping for something else by now, after TR's statement that "this is just the beginning." A bold statement, considering June 6 was pretty damn sweet.

I'm thinking with the tour kicking up soon maybe we'll get a little sumpin' sumpin'.

jessamineny
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
It's been less than two weeks since the band released a new video by David Lynch. I'm not sure how you can forget that...

BRoswell
07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
It's been less than two weeks since the band released a new video by David Lynch. I'm not sure how you can forget that...

"Yeah, but...that doesn't count."

Getting it in there before someone else does. :p

MrSlfDstruct
07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Heh, I had actually forgotten all about that as CBH is so last month :rolleyes: :p

I did kind of forget about it though, but I've never been big into music videos in the first place, save a few.

butter_hole
07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
im sure rob is editing the rehearsal footage as we speak

TheBang
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but two weeks is all it used to take to release an album, back in the good ol' days of 2008. Le sigh.

pigpen
07-11-2013, 05:44 AM
The video for CBH was released within the last two weeks!? Really? Seems longer than that..
It's weird, I guess I'm just not feeling the anticipation like I was with WT or YZ.

Scarlet Siren
07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see someone wearing a NIN hoodie on your way to work, as I did this morning!

Or something like this...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb8a5cU8P21qanccyo1_500.gif

cashpiles (closed)
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see someone wearing a NIN hoodie on your way to work, as I did this morning!

Or something like this...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb8a5cU8P21qanccyo1_500.gif

That was such a cool video. I loved it when Trent was in hate mode.

jmtd
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Bicycle (who did the phm reissue) have bought nitro records (who put out all the best afi albums and a bunch of other punk stuff)

botley
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Bicycle should have put a high-res uncompressed version of the Pretty Hate Machine remaster on HDTracks. They STILL should do that.

sheepdean
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Bicycle also have Quake OST's right so WHERE THE FUCK IS MY 5.1 MIX TRENT

BRoswell
07-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Bicycle also have Quake OST's right so WHERE THE FUCK IS MY 5.1 MIX TRENT

Now THERE'S something I would be interested in hearing in surround. To be honest, I don't know how interesting Pretty Hate Machine would be in 5.1 (or 7.1 or...). Perhaps Trent felt the same way. I can imagine him experimenting with it, not liking how it sounded, and sticking to just a straightforward remaster.

theimage13
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Not exactly NIN, but last night when I crawled into my bunk I decided to put my headphones in and play TGWTDT soundtrack (starting at What If We Could?) as I went to sleep. Best bus music choice to date...felt like it fit the scene perfectly.

allegro
07-11-2013, 07:57 PM

The guy mentioned at 0:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wg-CQB6lWo

Edit, oh and the Starfuckers video still creeps me out.

sick among the pure
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Not exactly NIN, but last night when I crawled into my bunk I decided to put my headphones in and play TGWTDT soundtrack (starting at What If We Could?) as I went to sleep. Best bus music choice to date...felt like it fit the scene perfectly.

The first time I listened to that soundtrack (I got it with perfect timing) was my 7 hour bus ride through rural PA and NY to go home. God it was perfect.

theimage13
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
The first time I listened to that soundtrack (I got it with perfect timing) was my 7 hour bus ride through rural PA and NY to go home. God it was perfect.

Heh...my first time was the five hour drive from rural PA to NY. Small world.

ZeroisGreg
07-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Was the 2013 tension poster art made...a-with-a-teetha?

MrSlfDstruct
07-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Just a few weeks late . . . :p

ZeroisGreg
07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
ah crap. too easy, I know.

BenAkenobi
07-14-2013, 12:26 AM

my comment is unrelated to video reminder, just amused how you called nin “the band” :)

ZeroisGreg
07-14-2013, 12:31 AM
There's a millipede used in TDS album and Closer single covers. I was thinking the Giant Pill millipede might be an influence to Samus's rolled up position (Metroid).

Ryan
07-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Maynard was right:

http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/2001.01.html

http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/clear.gif

http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/clear.gifMaynard Praises The Fragile Againhttp://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/clear.gif[19:35 EST]

Maynard James Keenan, lead singer of Tool (http://www.toolband.com) and A Perfect Circle has recently sent out more good words towards The Fragile. In a recent interview with Farm Club (http://www.farmclub.com). Along with praising Portishead, Radiohead, Tricky and Massive Attack; this is what Maynard had to say about The Fragile:
And I still always go back to Nine Inch Nails' "The Fragile." I don't think enough people have heard that one. That's definitely a sleeper that's gonna creep up on people if they just give it a chance. It's gonna be one of those records you're never gonna want to take out of your stereo. Thanks Schloemer (schloeme@alltel.net)

Updated by paul@theninhotline.net

jessamineny
07-14-2013, 08:55 AM
my comment is unrelated to video reminder, just amused how you called nin “the band” :)

I actually typed "he" first, FWIW :)

Dragoro
07-15-2013, 12:44 PM
One of the best videos of his shows that Ive seen. Keep coming back to watch it, just wanted for ya all to be aware of it. Goes from day to night in middle of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKSInoRXHew

fillow
07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
[/URL]http://i39.tinypic.com/15dnjg2.gif[URL="http://i39.tinypic.com/15dnjg2.gif"] (http://i39.tinypic.com/15dnjg2.gif)

Avarik
07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
omg no wai

Dragoro
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
lol go fuck yourselves.

pukkelpop
07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
i agree, one of the best live videos..

Frozen Beach
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Trent needs to do more pelvic thrusts for increased awesomeness.

slave2thewage
07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I wonder if they'll be using iPads on tour. Just a very random thought I just had.

[parasite]
07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
this maybe a dumb question, but, is there any info on why there is no [With_Teeth] remix album?

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
this maybe a dumb question, but, is there any info on why there is no [With_Teeth] remix album?
Because Trent didn't want to make one most likely - there's a fair few remixes from WT era spread across the singles, not to mention multitracks from the 2 main singles.

ItsJustDave
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
One of the best videos of his shows that Ive seen. Keep coming back to watch it, just wanted for ya all to be aware of it. Goes from day to night in middle of it.

I'm sure this is incredibly helpful for all those people that have no idea how to use the internet. In the interest of increasing your audience, I've merged your thread with all the other random thoughts.

Amaro
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
A friend payed me a visit today, one I met from the NIN tour in 2006, so naturally we started talking about upcoming NIN stuff. After he left I felt the urge to pop in a live NIN Blu-ray. I went for "The Gift" initially, and realized by "Closer" I remember preferring BYIT, the era in general. And man, I was right. I put BYIT in at that point. Fucking great experience captured, there. Aaron>Robin, almost always, from these two examples. Guitar aspects, anyway. Aaron's guitar on tone...ugh! The sound mix is cleaner overall in BYIT, too? It's a great mix... WT songs live were/are great.

ryanmcfly
07-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Trent's voice in general was at it's peak during the With Teeth tour.

billpulsipher
07-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Trent's voice in general was at it's peak during the With Teeth tour. Im assuming your trolling....His voice was clearly at its best on TDS tour..no other tour comes close

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Im assuming your trolling....His voice was clearly at its best on TDS tour..no other tour comes close
Why is it that if someone's opinion isn't the most popular, then it's assumed they're trolling? Personally I think his post-recovery voice is brilliant too

ryanmcfly
07-15-2013, 10:34 PM
His all around clean vocals in general were better in 2005-2006. Terrible Lie, Hurt, Something I Can Never Have, Burn, and The Big Come Down from BYIT are my all time favorite NIN tracks.

Also, The Fragile era was better to me, than TDS era.

fuckit
07-15-2013, 11:01 PM
What happened to his voice between with teeth and year zero anyways? changed so much in two years. But his voice was pretty great on the fragile, though it sounded like ass on its tour.

Highly Psychological
07-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I always found it weird that Hole supported NIN for a while. It seems absurd that Trent would want anything to do with that crazy bint Courtney Love. Also sound wise Hole's music was so different to NINs and she was from that Grunge scene of the time that Trent saw as a bit regressive. Live Through This is better than one would expect but Courtney at the time was so toxic, tabloid and car wrecky. Im sure Trent regrets his decision now but what was he thinking? Seemed like a very odd choice, i bet backstage that tour in 1994 with Courtney at her rock bottom Marylin Manson and Jim Rose Circus was fucking crazy. Can you imagine them lot in the same room? The parties? Dear god. No wonder Trent went off his rocker.

ryanmcfly
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I thought it sounded great on And All That Could Have Been... or at least on some songs. Sin, Gave Up, Suck, and Reptile were the shit.

zeegrizzle
07-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Since they closed the comments on that "a beginners guide" on Twitter, I think this list would have been better for a beginner.. Imo...

Terrible Lie
Down in It
Last
Happiness in Slavery
Piggy
The Becoming
Somewhat Damaged
La Mer
God Given
Echoplex

I believe they should want to uncover the rest after this.

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 11:24 PM
I always found it weird that Hole supported NIN for a while. It seems absurd that Trent would want anything to do with that crazy bint Courtney Love. Also sound wise Hole's music was so different to NINs and she was from that Grunge scene of the time that Trent saw as a bit regressive. Live Through This is better than one would expect but Courtney at the time was so toxic, tabloid and car wrecky. Im sure Trent regrets his decision now but what was he thinking? Seemed like a very odd choice, i bet backstage that tour in 1994 with Courtney at her rock bottom Marylin Manson and Jim Rose Circus was fucking crazy. Can you imagine them lot in the same room? The parties? Dear god. No wonder Trent went off his rocker.
Apparently he heard the first album, though it was cool, then realised she's insane, then allegedly they did the dirty and now she hates him but still covers his songs live.

katara
07-16-2013, 01:32 AM
What happened to his voice between with teeth and year zero anyways? changed so much in two years. But his voice was pretty great on the fragile, though it sounded like ass on its tour.
Age might have something to do with it. He also bulked up a lot in the Year Zero era. At that point, he was pretty much pure muscle.

fillow
07-16-2013, 03:06 AM
Re: trent's voice

I believe we have to distinguish loud and slow/quiet songs here.
Some of the former (Gave Up, Terrible Lie, Suck, No You Don't, Sin, etc.) sounded better on Self Destruct/Fragility tours, because he was still able to scream on top of his lungs and hit the majority of right notes.
Quiet songs (Hurt, SICNH) sound better now than before just because he's singing them entirely clean and sober and therefore more focused.

A lot of other songs didn't really change that much though.

dlb
07-16-2013, 03:23 AM
Age might have something to do with it. He also bulked up a lot in the Year Zero era. At that point, he was pretty much pure muscle.

With teeth era actually! When the first photos from the early club shows surfaced I was rather impressed with his physicality and the brute force he delivered the songs with. Of course his voice has changed during that process of "bulking up". 2005 might have been his peek:

http://maggiebear.com/livegallery18/ninlive868.jpg

In my eyes (well ear actually) his voice has just matured of the time and his live abilities were getting better and better and came to some kind of balance over the course of 2005-2009 IMHO. At least I find myself listening to the most recent bootlegs the most, so whenever a new tour comes to town I'm dying to have soundboard audio to listen to and replace the one before. Of course there are some "essential" performances here and there, but I tend to enjoy the most recent shows the most. And while that is mainly due to the line-up / the music it's also due to his voice.

-digital-
07-16-2013, 03:37 AM
I wonder if Alessandro secretly sits back and enjoys watching "Trent Instant Mad = ON" by removing a single patch cable from one Trent's modular synths.

jmtd
07-16-2013, 06:48 AM
I've trained every NIN acronym into my phone's predictive text, and now nearly every spelling mistake I make is autocorrected to a NIN acronym.

somewhat_
07-16-2013, 07:18 AM
It would be cool if nin played some secret or not so secret shows the weeks before and after lollapalooza.

henryeatscereal
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Today i was listening to The White Stripes and this image came to my head:

http://i500.listal.com/image/1667174/500full.jpg

theimage13
07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
The sound mix is cleaner overall in BYIT, too? It's a great mix... WT songs live were/are great.

Personally, I thought the audio mix on BYIT felt too flat...not enough dynamic range; not enough of what actually makes it feel like a concert. Sure, I guess "clean" works in the sense that it doesn't sound like a muddy aud mix or something. But it's always struck me as feeling a little compressed. Am I alone here?

MrSlfDstruct
07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Personally, I thought the audio mix on BYIT felt too flat...not enough dynamic range; not enough of what actually makes it feel like a concert. Sure, I guess "clean" works in the sense that it doesn't sound like a muddy aud mix or something. But it's always struck me as feeling a little compressed. Am I alone here?

Are you referring to the DVD or the Blu-ray? The TrueHD track on the Blu-ray is awesome, but I had heard the DVD version was a little flat.

theimage13
07-17-2013, 12:27 AM
First time I watched it was release day - it was the HD-DVD version on a well configured 5.1 system. I remember thinking that I enjoyed the audio mix from AATCHB better, but I did love the visual edit.

wizfan
07-17-2013, 01:45 AM
I really hated that the stereo and 5.1 mixes were different (I think the former was made by Dave Ogilvie and the latterby Elliot Scheiner). Just listen to the With Teeth song and you'll notice that the snare drum sounds different. Also, Trent shouting "all right!" before You Know What You Are is heard clearly in 2.0 but is almost inaudible in 5.1. I really wish the 5.1 mix had the ferocity of the 2.0 mix, as Ogilvie understands NIN's music better than Scheiner. TrueHD was better than the DD/DTS on the DVD, obviously; I remember a critic noticing that after the first verse of Hurt, Trent breathes lightly on the microphone but you can only hear it on the TrueHD mix.

BYIT had horrible audio editing in certain scenes, such as Trent's "oooh" on the March of the Pigs intro. They probably weren't experienced enough with HD audio and video to create a flawless product in the time frame they were given. After all, it was 2007 and the HD technology back then was problematic as hell (Microsoft had to optimize VC-1 just for BYIT).

jmtd
07-17-2013, 03:37 AM
I've only tried to listen to the BYIT 5.1 mix once (on my inadequately-configured system) and I was very surprised that the mix was different. My initial, non-objective assessment was I prefer the stereo mix, but I've listened to an MP3 rip of it many times so it's very familiar to me.

Amaro
07-17-2013, 01:10 PM
My recent WT era (and general NIN) reemergence has inspired me to really want to rearrange the track listing as well as add to it (see to NINJA sampler), for once and for me, as I see now clearly that's where I've personally found a fault in its presentation. (@seasonsinthesky (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=485) Oh, brother.) BYIT reminded me how significant and cool that time must have been for Trent as a person and an artist, coming back to the big stage with a fresh feeling and take on everything. And WT is where it all started up again. A most honest record.

BenAkenobi
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
BYIT had horrible audio editing in certain scenes, such as Trent's "oooh" on the March of the Pigs intro. They probably weren't experienced enough with HD audio and video to create a flawless product in the time frame they were given. After all, it was 2007 and the HD technology back then was problematic as hell (Microsoft had to optimize VC-1 just for BYIT).

that's nothing compared to Robin sporting different haircut every minute on AATCHB :)

eversonpoe
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I've only tried to listen to the BYIT 5.1 mix once (on my inadequately-configured system) and I was very surprised that the mix was different. My initial, non-objective assessment was I prefer the stereo mix, but I've listened to an MP3 rip of it many times so it's very familiar to me.

the stereo and 5.1 mixes of AATCHB are quite different as well...that's what happens when you have differing channels of audio between mixes. because you're dealing with different amounts of physical space (i.e. creating a surround field as opposed to a stereo field), you can't just move stuff around, you have to actually change the way some of it sounds.

jmtd
07-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I think I meant I was surprised just how different it was...

eversonpoe
07-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I think I meant I was surprised just how different it was...

eep, sorry...i totally sounded like a jerk. i constantly get frustrated with the lack of tone conveyed through text on the internet.

i was just trying to say "yeah, i agree with you, there's probably a big difference, and i think this is why."

i've always found the stereo mix of AATCHB (especially on the CD) to be atrocious compared to the 5.1 mix. everything sounds over-crowded and there are so many high-frequency artifacts. but the 5.1 mix sounds great and has lots of good use of space. i haven't watched/listened to beside you in time enough to really check out a lot of the differences (i literally think i watched it once when i first bought it...not sure why i haven't revisited it), but it's possible that they just didn't put the same amount of effort into the 5.1 as the did into the stereo (which is odd because it didn't get a CD release). :: shrug ::

hobochic
07-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Of post Fragile NIN, there's one gem that often (not always) gets left out of discussions related to the recent NIN sound for mysterious reasons. To me it's the closest to the Fragile's ethereal and experimental quality that I loved about that era. It's distinct, bold, insane, amazing and one of the last pieces of NIN that Trent released as NIN with vocals: Demon Seed.

Conclusion: When and if Trent taps into his mad scientist mentality there's "recent" proof in Demon Seed that he's still fully capable of delivering crazy shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7EsX-oJe6s

Max Leo
07-17-2013, 06:15 PM
The "Corona Radiata-TFOUAD-Demon Seed" combo is some of the best stuff that Trent has ever made imo.

sheepdean
07-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I still don't think LITS/CR should've been 2 tracks, they flow together so perfectly, it should've just be a song with a very, very long outro

-digital-
07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I wonder if Trent ever did a midnight Taco Bell drive-thru run and thought "I should totally track my vocals through this piece of shit speaker."

ZeroisGreg
07-17-2013, 10:38 PM
thinking of new name for this...new direction.

4.5 inch nails
a-nina-incha-nails-a
muscles. kids. happy.
nine inch smiles
dancin' nails
Mr. Meat

BRoswell
07-17-2013, 10:46 PM
thinking of new name for this...new direction.

4.5 inch nails
a-nina-incha-nails-a
muscles. kids. happy.
nine inch smiles
dancin' nails
Mr. Meat

Ever thought about starting your own one man band called Bitchy McGee and The Bitchettes? Yeah, and you can do alternating covers of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZPPBJC8Ic

richardp
07-18-2013, 01:39 AM
What was that one online game thing where you had to name every NIN song within 15 minutes and see how many you could get? Now that the ol' NIN is back I want to see if I still can obsessively remember songs or not.

sheepdean
07-18-2013, 05:27 AM
What was that one online game thing where you had to name every NIN song within 15 minutes and see how many you could get? Now that the ol' NIN is back I want to see if I still can obsessively remember songs or not.
From good ol' botley http://www.sporcle.com/games/botley/ninsongs

ninsp
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
111 out of 113 with 5:22 left...I forgot about Metal and The Great Collapse.

danebraddy
07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
My Ltd Edition Shirt (Red one) arrived a couple of days ago, but I only got my hands on it this morning. Great fit!

screwdriver
07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
From good ol' botley http://www.sporcle.com/games/botley/ninsongs

that was fun -- thanks botley

my apathy towards year zero really came through there

Indefinite_Cure
07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I feel the same, I've always felt the sound was much better on And All That Could Have Been, but visually and set-list wise, BYIT is awesome!

mercyshallow
07-18-2013, 10:50 PM
My anticipation for Hesitation Marks has been somewhat restored by the new Russel Mills artwork; however, much of that excitement comes from his description in relation to the material. I know someone noticed that the themes mentioned by the artist in the latest bit of news could be applied to almost every Nine Inch Nails album, but something seems refreshing hearing about catharsis. The only other album by NIN that I can think of involving some kind of purging, or cleansing has been With Teeth, (and I know someone will chime in to correct me based on a number of different factors).

That being said, I still think that the artwork that we've seen so far (fonts, media used) are almost too reminiscent of his most notorious release, and I also agree with the (seemingly) general consensus that this album will certainly be related to The Downward Spiral. To me, that makes this release exciting, but nerve-wracking all at once. As a very interested fan in the progression and evolution of the artist, I can't help but fear that Nine Inch Nails is treading backward. I know, obviously, this isn't the case - and I know that any attempt at re-exploring ideas and emotions from the past will be tastefully done. Trent Reznor has more integrity than to rehash a concept in some horrid attempt to revive an audience or evoke a familiarity that sells; I am positive of that. I guess mainly, I'm just nervous that the new material is going to be to similar to his work on How To Destroy Angels / his film scores.

I want to have that unfamiliar feeling again: the one where you have no idea where this album is going to turn. I want to be surprised. I want my jaw to drop. Personally, the last time that happened for me was on Year Zero. Since then, the material - albeit above par - has been too... structured. I know I am not alone in this observation.

The Mexican review (of which I still highly doubt any legitimacy of), also grabbed my attention in a big way. If that reviewer states that, of the six songs they have heard, Came Back Haunted was their favorite -- then colour me extremely excited. Although I do enjoy the track, it suffers the same fate I mentioned previously. (I'm not saying it's a bad song, before anyone pitchforks me). I imagine that the other tracks in the first half of the album are far more experimental - especially with the comment about "the same abrasive guitar struggling through the musical ideas throughout every track". (or something to that extent). This reviewer and I obviously do not share the same tastes, and for that reason my hopes have been ...enhanced? I want to hear what he means by "grunge rock riff". Or whatever he said. It was translated. lollersk8z. HUGZ

One more thang: Those new promo pictures: wow. Are they illustrations? Digitally altered photographs? Either way, if you move your head from side to side at your moniter, the eyes follow you. It's like those paintings where the faces are constantly watching you. Intense, and very well done. If not a bit creepy. (But I missed being creeped out by NIN!) So yeah. that's about it.

Krazy
07-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I feel the same, I've always felt the sound was much better on And All That Could Have Been, but visually and set-list wise, BYIT is awesome!

For those that have a good to awesome AV system, nothing beats BYIT on BRD. And if you show it off to someone who isn't into NIN or is a casual fan, you'll win them over on it and turn them into liking NIN.

Even though production wise it's not their greatest tour, I've had people watch that and scream "HOLY FUCK!!" after seeing and hearing it properly. As a fan I'm sure I'm biased but haven't seen a concert BRD yet that can match it for all the above reasons.

screwdriver
07-18-2013, 11:21 PM
One more thang: Those new promo pictures: wow. Are they illustrations? Digitally altered photographs? Either way, if you move your head from side to side at your moniter, the eyes follow you. It's like those paintings where the faces are constantly watching you. Intense, and very well done. If not a bit creepy. (But I missed being creeped out by NIN!) So yeah. that's about it.

? what new promo pics?

Krazy
07-18-2013, 11:28 PM
? what new promo pics?

In the spotting thread:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/57AB1C08-85FF-4FF6-8474-356CB534B945-1010-00000054DCF301B9.jpg

screwdriver
07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
In the spotting thread:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/57AB1C08-85FF-4FF6-8474-356CB534B945-1010-00000054DCF301B9.jpg

jesus thats rad

Amaro
07-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Christ that's weird

Ryan
07-19-2013, 12:05 AM
In the spotting thread:

Robin's eyeballs look out of proportion.

Yoshata
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
That photo is awesome. TR looks like the protagonist of a video game. I keep hearing the Skyrim theme playing in my head.

pigpen
07-19-2013, 10:02 PM
That's honestly one of the weirdest/creepiest things I think I've ever seen when in regards to band/album promotion...

...and I love that!!!

xmp3x
07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Makes it look like he recorded the album in Siberia.

I dunno, not a huge fan of this image, but whatever

Frozen Beach
07-20-2013, 12:32 AM
The new band photo reminds me of this Swans photo
http://i43.tinypic.com/xelym0.jpg

butter_hole
07-20-2013, 02:31 AM
michael gira looks like an old loaf of bread

eversonpoe
07-20-2013, 09:13 AM
michael gira looks like an old loaf of bread

top left? nah, he looks pretty good. the guy top middle looks like an old loaf of bread (and i can't for the life of me remember his name).

blassster
07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Though not NIN... the moment from about 1m42s to 1m47s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGdOasw1jMU#t=1m42s

MrSlfDstruct
07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
A .gif of 1:44-1:47 needs to be made stat.

pigpen
07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
It's been a long time since I listened to Year Zero, and I kind of put it at the bottom of my list
soon after it came out, so I've not really paid much attention to it..Lately though, I've been
rocking the absolute fuck out of it.. I don't know why, but it's just now hitting me!

Amaro
07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I tried to listen to Year Zero again very recently, but damn do I still borderline hate it.

pigpen
07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah, for the longest time I didn't really like it much, with the exception of Me, I'm Not. But recently, for whatever reason
I find that I've been really enjoying the record much more than I ever really have.
It's still low on the list, but, I'm coming around on it.

ryanmcfly
07-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Year Zero is probably my favorite NIN album. It was the first one I bought. I remember how excited I was to get it because I got Beside You in Time the month before hand and I was hooked from there.

howdidislipinto
07-21-2013, 02:10 AM
The excitement of Year Zero and hearing My Violent Heart for the first time, something that not only sounded like nothing NIN had ever done but nothing else anyone else was doing either, is still pretty vivid in my mind. Every time I get to take a few months without hearing a track from YZ and then come back to the album, I sort of get to relive that experience. The 1-2 punch of Good Soldier/Vessel really kick the album into high gear for me. Love it.

The only downside to Year Zero was that it came so soon after With Teeth and sort of made With Teeth feel so safe by comparison. With Teeth is exactly what you thought NIN might sound like as an older band: what had come before, but slightly mellower and more melodic. Year Zero kicked any thoughts of NIN mellowing out in the ass, and NOT by reaching into the past and creating the same sort of intensity Trent had achieved before -- but by coming up with a completely new sort of intensity. I love it. It's the NIN album that's sort of the hardest to get moderate NIN listeners to enjoy, but that's ok. If it's just a gem that only some of us can appreciate, I'm fine with that.

Ryan
07-21-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm getting impatient for a leak.

Amaro
07-21-2013, 08:57 AM
^ Uh huh. lol

MVH is a top notch track from YZ, I remember liking it from the start, but I just don't like the place where the whole album comes from. The soundscapes are often simply too electronic-y for their own good and often a song subject jumps out too obviously, which I realize was the point. But I could go on without hearing Meet Your Master or The Warning or Capital G ever again...for some examples. Vessel, also, I just can't like. It's weak to me.

It would seem I prefer more time between releases, as The Slip only improved some of NIN to me. Needless to say I'm freaking excited for the new record.

////

In bracing for HM, I've been taking an occasional trip backwards somewhere...well, right now--fucking THE FRAGILE songs are truly amazing since not really dipping into them in years. (Yes, years.)

READ/REREAD THIS INTERVIEW, fellow fans:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart121.shtml

The Fragile <3

theimage13
07-21-2013, 09:54 AM
The band members don't have ears?

Calling it: Hesitation Marks will sound like a Blue Man Group album. And I'm okay with this.

witte
07-21-2013, 10:28 AM
The new band photo reminds me of this Swans photo

Swans' pic is better.
NIN's pic is not my style

Max Leo
07-21-2013, 10:52 AM
READ/REREAD THIS INTERVIEW, fellow fans:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart121.shtml

"Reznor will not be rocking when he's fifty"

We'll know if this is true pretty soon. :D

PS: BTW, I bought this RS issue back in the day and I still have it. Fuck, I'm old. XD

BenAkenobi
07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Year Zero... It's the NIN album that's sort of the hardest to get moderate NIN listeners to enjoy, but that's ok. If it's just a gem that only some of us can appreciate, I'm fine with that.

I've re-read this passage a dozen times and can not decide whether that's irony or honest feeling. Year Zero? Not easy to enjoy? Have we heard the same record?

howdidislipinto
07-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I've re-read this passage a dozen times and can not decide whether that's irony or honest feeling. Year Zero? Not easy to enjoy? Have we heard the same record?

I'm judging this solely by people I know of course, but I have many friends who dig certain NIN songs and have maybe been to a concert, but don't necessarily own every album or even know which "eras" they like or anything. A healthy like and respect, but to whom NIN is just another band. And those people, again based solely on my experience, have a hard time digging Year Zero.

Remember how The Slip was Trent's gift to everyone? Which was pretty clever, since it's very short, straight to the point, almost like a "best of" (or if you don't like it, at least a summary) of every NIN era and perfect for even the most casual NIN listener? I'd like to think of Year Zero as a gift to the hardcore and obsessive. Long, filled with tangents begging to be explored, and even the most melodic, beautiful song (In This Twilight, in my opinion) is covered in fuzz and noise that would turn off certain listeners.

That's what I meant.

Vertigo
07-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm getting impatient for a leak.

Cross your legs.

MAD
07-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I started working on my first Nine Inch Nails remix. Right now it's just a work in progress so don't expect anything fancy yet.

https://soundcloud.com/mad623/mad-the-warning-nin-remix-2/s-lifry (https://soundcloud.com/mad623/mad-the-warning-nin-remix-1/s-2sVXY)

ZeroisGreg
07-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I just had a weird thought of a parody for CBH. It would have the "haw haw hawn---ted" parts done by Marge Simpson and Homer would sing the TR bits.

butter_hole
07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm really curious if HM can get to #1 in the US? I admit it, sales and chart placements are important to me.

He had #1's with The Fragile and With Teeth and a #2 for Year Zero, his last forays with major labels and non-online only releases... NIN are making a big splash with their return, but a big enough splash to hit #1?

ALSO: do copies of the album they sell via their website get reported to Billboard?

ryanmcfly
07-23-2013, 12:56 AM
I think they can hit #1, considering this is a "come back" album. Also, per wikipedia, the albums coming out that week are by Ashanti, Blood on the Dance Floor, and John Legend. Of course there are others, but those are the notable ones. John Legend would be the one that could beat out HM.

telee.kom
07-23-2013, 02:06 AM
I think this album could get a bit more hype than it gets. Look at new QOTSA record. It's quite an average album, but the band managed marketing strategy really well. Few weeks, maybe even months, you (quite annoyingly) couldn't open any music related site without some info about their record. And it paid off, as far as the sales goes, album is going extremely well.

I don't have this feeling from HM. I'm starving for any new info, new song or even just some snippets from the new album, but nothing is really going on. We just get one song with awful music video which didn't really impressed so many people and I don't think this is enough. I mean, for NIN fans? Sure. But if Trent wants commercial success he probably need to do more than that.

dlb
07-23-2013, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't compare QOTSA to NIN as their fame surpasses that of NIN by far outside of the US and don't forget that QOTSA are one of THE ultimate festival rock bands with even non-fans waiting in line just so they can say they've seen them. Whereas NIN yet have to start touring this year. I'm confident that the month before the release of HM will have us see and hear much more. What did QOTSA do anyway? Some obscure websites, short comic clips by Boneface and some leaked album artwork that had people guessing. Era Vulgaris had pretty much the same campaign and didn't get them to no. 1. It's just the hype that QOTSA gets from people around the world that is still increasing. NIN isn't that kind of band and if they have ever been than they are not anymore.

Another thing worth noticing is the list of guests on this album. Who really knows the guys Trent is playing with apart from us and avid music fans? I'm sure if Grohl had drummed on HM that this news alone would amp up the marketing camapign. I guess its worth to be patient and if not, we will hopefully get a killer album. I'd rather see a fucking awesome show than some forgettable marketing. And yes, if I could make a wish and than I'd like something along the lines of what they did for the fragile back then.

katara
07-23-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm starving for any new info
That's the point. They release just enough information to tell us something's happening, but not enough to completely sate us. So we check things every day.

On the other hand, I feel that we have loads of info already. We know all the track names, all the song lengths, we have a single and a video, they just released all the cover art, we've all pre-ordered the album already, there's a world tour starting on Friday. They've given us everything we need without giving away their whole hand of cards.
They'll play new songs on the tour. A studio version of a second single will most likely surface in the next few weeks. Remember, it could be another 5+ years before the next album. This is the best time to be a NIN fan. Just be patient.

fillow
07-23-2013, 02:46 AM
new QOTSA record. It's quite an average album
wat

did you even listen to it

telee.kom
07-23-2013, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't compare QOTSA to NIN as their fame surpasses that of NIN by far outside of the US

This differs by the country I guess. Here in Czech Rep. QOTSA were almost anonymous up until their latest record. This year they headlining our biggest festival, but few years back they crowded just a small club. Also I know a lot more people listening to NIN than to Queens so that's why I consider NIN to be bigger band. But who knows really.

And don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less if HM hit no. 1 in charts or whatever. All I care about is HM to be a good album and if it will be, success will come on its own. I was just answering question if this album can top the charts in US. As far as the marketing strategy goes, QOTSA did excellent work, hence the comparison. What they did so different? I don't really know, they manage to be on papers all the time. You are absolutely right about the guests. Grohl is walking advertisement. Well, if Trent's after commercial success he could take notes for them, but maybe he's not (I'm hoping this isn't his pivotal goal)

wat
did you even listen to it

I don't want to start a flame or anything, but I was kinda disappointed with the record. I think I would put it somewhere in the back in their discography. There are some good songs there, but nothing really stands out for me. Nothing is forcing me to listen to this album again, which is the biggest problem, it's just nothing special.

BenAkenobi
07-23-2013, 05:42 AM
...we've all pre-ordered the album already...

Speak for yourself :D

Vertigo
07-23-2013, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't compare QOTSA to NIN as their fame surpasses that of NIN by far outside of the US

Facebook has 2.2m followers for QOTSA and 2.9 for NIN, surely they're reasonably comparable?

What I'm not sure about is whether there's enough publicity for a With Teeth-level hit. One song with accompanying video by David Lynch - cool. It's done well on Youtube. But the album's a bit over a month from launch now and I'm not seeing ads in music shops or on the street (maybe I'm in the wrong place?), I'm not seeing TV spots, I'm not seeing newspaper articles, and have only read a couple of interviews (and we're the NIN community, we collate that stuff).
Still, With Teeth continued generating buzz for some time even after release, particularly thanks to Fincher's Only video. Maybe they have more planned post-release. The festival tour, at least, is a smart move.

I'm wondering whether I should actually care, as ultimately all I want is a great album, nicely packaged - both of which are virtually guaranteed from Trent, as far as I'm concerned at least. But I suppose the better the album performs, the higher will be the budget that can be commanded for studio work, artwork/packaging, videos, collaborators and extra material in future releases.

katara
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Didn't someone say that the centre of New York is like Hesitation Marks City?

screwdriver
07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Didn't someone say that the centre of New York is like Hesitation Marks City?

there are ads all over manhattan (where I live)

I don't go to music stores or watch TV, so I can't really vouch for the rest of the publicity, but I've been impressed with the street-teaming

Indefinite_Cure
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
all those fake reports of the album leaking frustrate me, even more so when I realize it still is fucking 40 something days away!

katara
07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Speak for yourself :D
Yeah, but the option is there. You could pre-order the new NIN album right now if you felt so inclined.

ultimatebdp
07-23-2013, 10:41 AM
I'd be surprised if we don't get another new song by showtime on Friday. I would think that Reznor doesn't want to debut a new song live, but he's a wiley one nowadays. As far as the album promotion goes, we're still over a month away from release so I expect to see the Columbia marketing machine ramping up for that final month. In August you'll start to see more ads, interviews, song clips, and, of course, the "mandatory bad pitchfork review." I'm itching for a new NIN, but that's the fun we've all waited 5 long years for!!!

Khrz
07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
the "mandatory bad pitchfork review."

Apart from the infamous The Fragile review, Pitchfork has never been that harsh towards halos. Lukewarm, yeah, absolutely. But the reviews were never that bad, and they actually review every record Reznor releases or produces, which at least means they're considering him relevant and worth following.

katara
07-23-2013, 11:40 AM
I'd be surprised if we don't get another new song by showtime on Friday. I would think that Reznor doesn't want to debut a new song live, but he's a wiley one nowadays.
He debuted a load of new songs in 2005 before With Teeth was released. I remember hearing You Know What You Are?, Love Is Not Enough, The Collector, With Teeth, and Home on the club tour. That's not including previously released [or leaked] The Line Begins To Blur and The Hand That Feeds. Those shows took place just over a month before the album dropped.

Pretty ballsy move, even at the time, given that almost no one knew what was going on.

staleincense
07-23-2013, 02:13 PM
disregard this

ryanmcfly
07-23-2013, 03:20 PM
If Hesitation Marks leaked right now, how many of you guys would download it?

tony.parente
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Immediately. Without question.

Hell trent already has my money for all 3 physical versions so I wouldn't even feel guilty about it.

NIN64
07-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Yep. They already have my money; both from the album, and live tickets. . .

ryanmcfly
07-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Haha. I would like to say that I'd wait patiently, but I think out of impulse, I would break my keyboard and mouse trying to get to whatever website it was on.

telee.kom
07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
well.. I feel a bit like an idiot, but every few hours I keep checking my RSS reader with newalbumreleases.com and every time there is a new entry I secretly hope it will be Hesitation Marks. But it's not :(

jessamineny
07-23-2013, 04:23 PM

You should probably be asking, "how many wouldn't?" (This place will blow the fuck up when it leaks.)

dlb
07-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Facebook has 2.2m followers for QOTSA and 2.9 for NIN, surely they're reasonably comparable?

Well, that really is something! But I'm still holding onto my opinion, that QOTSA is more famous than NIN overseas. Is there a way to check fans by country/continent via facebook?

Anyway, the marketing is what it is and I would agree, that we will be seeing more within the next month.

ultimatebdp
07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I always say it (and fail), but I'm going to try to wait for the album and/or songs to be officially released. I'm debating on if I should even tune into the show on Friday morning because I want to hear studio versions of new songs...but I'll probably listen to them anyway. I DEFINITELY don't wanna listen to some guy recording it through his phone as it plays from the other side of a room...BUT...I'll probably do that too. Pathetic, I agree.

ryanmcfly
07-23-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm totally waking up at 6:30 am to watch that stream.

Ryan
07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't believe how close the first tour date is already!

pigpen
07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm totally waking up at 6:30 am to watch that stream.

What stream?

Ryan
07-23-2013, 07:17 PM
What stream?

The streaming flow of blood permeating from all the hesitation marks, of course.

jessamineny
07-23-2013, 07:19 PM
What stream?

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1544-2013-7-26-Naeba-Japan-Fuji-Rock-Festival?p=102159#post102159

thevoid99
07-23-2013, 09:04 PM

Of course, as long as it's either HQ MP3 320 kps or HQ Apple Lossless. Plus, I'm going to buy my tickets next month for the Atlanta show in October and get whatever versions of the album that's available in Sept.

butter_hole
07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I feel like if Cake can get a #1, NIN can. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showroom_of_Compassion#Chart_performance)

sheepdean
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
I feel like if Cake can get a #1, NIN can. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showroom_of_Compassion#Chart_performance)
So Trent should wear a short skirt and a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong jacket?

Ryan
07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
So Trent should wear a short skirt and a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong jacket?

He secretly does that on weekends anyway.

theimage13
07-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Not me. I'm still a sucker for getting the physical version on release day and listening through for the first time start to finish. Old fashioned, I know.

Ryan
07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
What does everyone reckon the opening track will be for the current upcoming tour for the festivals?

I think Demon Seed would be amazing, then Came Back Haunted.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-24-2013, 12:40 AM

I always end up listening to leaks, and then having an "official" listen when the leaked material is released. It's kinda like, in my mind, I'm discovering it twice.

I'm also kinda drunk, but that makes a lot more sense in my mind. There's the preliminary "Holy crap, it's readily available" listen, and then the "this is official, it's ready for my ears" listen. The first few plays before the leak are always fueled by excitement, but I don't really start to "digest" the material until it's meant to be digested.

Rossva
07-24-2013, 01:08 AM

Totally would. I remember being at work when YZ first leaked so I threw a sickie and went home to download it there and then!
Reckon 99% of us will then go on to buy it officially when they can (think I've got like 7 different copies of YZ) so karma is restored .