PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

diptych
08-19-2019, 04:42 PM
There's sometimes nothing like Something I Can Never Have and That's What I Get to help heal me from the wounds, sores and burns from being rejected by a crush. I know it's absolutely nothing compared to the destruction of an actual long-term relationship, especially a divorce, but it still helps despite that fact that I've always been single. I might as well also include rejected marriage proposals to that list.

Thank you very much for that yet again Trent Reznor, as it helps me prevent me from making even more regrettable decisions in the future concerning such matters, and still helps me move on.

It just happened not so long ago, nor was that the first time since I became a fan, but it's definitely still helping me cope and deal with that exact type of rejection.

Hang in there, man. This one works for me in such cases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51OB2YoC4sg

fillow
08-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Just made this, inspired by Tool version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7kTqLbZ-Hc&feature=youtu.be

Halo Infinity
09-01-2019, 10:24 AM
I just came across this when I was looking up Burn.

@Helpmeiaminhell (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5551) - I also wondered about what your reaction to this might've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeamAkIs5Aw

With that being said, Burn is still easily one of my most favorite songs live, right up there with Mr Self Destruct and Happiness In Slavery. I certainly hope to see it again.

Speaking of which, I still also hope to see Happiness In Slavery, The Only Time, Kinda I Want To and Ringfinger. Not all of them at once to be realistic, but even just 1 or 2 of any of those songs would make my day at a NIN show.

I also forgot to mention that I just loved the way he ended The Becoming here. It's just the way he sings "Goddamn this noise. God. Damn. This noise. Inside. My. Fucking. My fucking head.", kind of made me wish it that went on just a little bit longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8zgqfTCNuk

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
09-01-2019, 11:45 AM
My friend worships Filter. I need to send him that link

Halo Infinity
09-02-2019, 08:14 AM
Head Like A Hole and Capital G at least to me, are definitely those Nine Inch Nails songs that became more true and real as time passes by. (But for different reasons from songs like Hurt, The Great Below, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Copy Of A, which seem relatable to the daily grind of life and people coming and going.) I was also still just a student when Year Zero came out, but once I was working and job-searching and just hit me more and more as you can be sometimes damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to money.

Seeing Trent Reznor also get tangled with wires on the music video to Head Like A Hole also meant more to me now than it ever did before, because actually experiencing the control of "God Money" and how it could tie you up and flip your life upside down is all too real sometimes, while also "dragging you down and using you up". And even then, you're still assimilated into the "machine", since God Money is still your "God" at the end of the day, no matter who you are and how rich you are.

And he signs his name with a Capital G. :p

But for real, it's no wonder why both of those songs are also among my go-to songs on Labor Day.

Detunez
09-08-2019, 11:37 AM
God damn i love Sunspots!

eachpassingphase
09-08-2019, 06:20 PM
God damn i love Sunspots!

There's something unbelievably sexy about the way that song sounds. The lyrics could just be him reading from the telephone book, it wouldn't even matter. The vibe of it is a 10/10.

RJK
09-09-2019, 07:54 AM
20 years ago today
https://youtu.be/oBKwtK1J30c

eversonpoe
09-09-2019, 10:59 PM
it's weird to me to think about how much the 21st of september means to me. every one of these events drastically changed my life.

1999 - the fragile
2004 - suicide attempt
2014 - wedding

looking forward to celebrating all of these things (the failure of the second one, obviously) next weekend.

Erneuert
09-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Listening to PHM while doing housework, the whole of this portion: “how can you turn me into this, when you just taught me how to kiss you? I told you I’d never say goodbye. Now I’m slipping on the tears you’ve made me cry.” always seems to get a lot of flack because of the lame/cheesy lyrics. I think it’s totally OK when you take into consideration the acknowledgment of naïvety not long later on in the song:

“Why’s it come as a surprise to think that I was so naïve?”

Actually makes it genuinely heart breaking.

BRoswell
09-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Listening to PHM while doing housework, the whole of this portion: “how can you turn me into this, when you just taught me how to kiss you? I told you I’d never say goodbye. Now I’m slipping on the tears you’ve made me cry.” always seems to get a lot of flack because of the lame/cheesy lyrics.

It's mainly "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry" that comes across as cheesy to me. The imagery it conjures up makes me chuckle every time. (Just imagine our boy Trent slipping on puddles of tears like banana peels and you'll see what I mean.) It's why I laugh anytime someone complains about Trent's lyrics in more recent songs. He's written cheesy lyrics since the beginning. I've said it before, but with a few exceptions, I don't think Trent has ever been a great lyricist. It's always been more about the ideas and emotions behind his songs than any sort of lyrical poetry, which, combined with the music, is what makes his lyrics effective.

StockAvuryah
09-11-2019, 11:47 AM
It's mainly "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry" that comes across as cheesy to me. The imagery it conjures up makes me chuckle every time. (Just imagine our boy Trent slipping on puddles of tears like banana peels and you'll see what I mean.) It's why I laugh anytime someone complains about Trent's lyrics in more recent songs. He's written cheesy lyrics since the beginning. I've said it before, but with a few exceptions, I don't think Trent has ever been a great lyricist. It's always been more about the ideas and emotions behind his songs than any sort of lyrical poetry, which, combined with the music, is what makes his lyrics effective.

the deeper it comes from, the better it is, e.g. TDTWWA

Max
09-11-2019, 12:19 PM
When I was 17 and broken-hearted in 1995, this song and the whole album felt like a masterpiece.

Our assessment of the quality of a work of art probably says more about who we are than about the quality of the art itself. In 2019 does that song make me feel much? No, not so much anymore. But looking around and seeing the world and hearing someone say, "there is no future point in time, we will not get away" speaks to me a whole lot more. Hearing "This isn't the place" and thinking about the loss of a hero or loved one really hits home for me now.

I don't think Pretty Hate Machine is any less good than I thought it was, and I don't think I was wrong about it. I think it is perfect for what it was in the time that it was.

paul_guyet
09-11-2019, 12:31 PM
A collection of abandoned and unreleased videos, leftover tracks, and whatever else called "The Failed & Forgotten".

Magnetic
09-11-2019, 04:45 PM
I don't think Pretty Hate Machine is any less good than I thought it was, and I don't think I was wrong about it. I think it is perfect for what it was in the time that it was.
I remember being curled up next to my cd/ tape player in 1991 listening to my sister's boyfriend's copied tape of PHM. It was unlike anything I had heard. I listened to that damn tape so much my sister gave up trying to get it back.

I remember getting Broken on cd about a year later. It was a full departure, but Happiness In Slavery was a masterpiece to me. That song, Physical and Suck were my favorites.
What remains my favorite album is TDS. I've always felt that the level of sophistication, the layering, everything about that album just flooded into my teenage veins like something else.
Looking back, I probably listen to more songs from the Fragile than I do TDS. I don't always listen to full albums (heresy, I know). I adore With Teeth and Year Zero as strong albums with songs that resonate with life as I've gotten older. I think the Slip had some good songs, but maybe Add Violence and NTAE outdid Hesitation Marks (sorry, no love for Bad Witch here).

So I throw out the notion, my sample n=1 that the first NIN album you listen will always be your favorite. TDS will always be my favorite; I think conceptually and musically, it will always be my favorite, but there are days/weeks where I deep dive into The Fragile, With Teeth, and Year Zero.

eversonpoe
09-11-2019, 05:46 PM
it's weird to me to think about how much the 21st of september means to me. every one of these events drastically changed my life.

1999 - the fragile
2004 - suicide attempt
2014 - wedding

looking forward to celebrating all of these things (the failure of the second one, obviously) next weekend.

gosh, i can't even believe i forgot that i also put out my first album (https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/convergence) on the 21st in 2009! every five years something really important happens on that date. hope it's something good this year.

Kulerage
09-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Happy 30th to Down In It (and by extension NIN itself)

BenAkenobi
09-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Sang along "Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day" and rain went away!

theimage13
09-16-2019, 01:46 PM
I don't know if it's because of when the album came out and when I first gave it such heavy rotation, but damnit if Hesitation Marks isn't just a perfect "fall weather" album. I'm one pair of tits away from being the epitome of a "basic white girl" when autumn rolls around, and this disc feels as fall-y to me as cooler air, changing leaves, and all the other good shit that comes with summer finally fucking off.

eversonpoe
09-18-2019, 12:46 AM
I don't know if it's because of when the album came out and when I first gave it such heavy rotation, but damnit if Hesitation Marks isn't just a perfect "fall weather" album. I'm one pair of tits away from being the epitome of a "basic white girl" when autumn rolls around, and this disc feels as fall-y to me as cooler air, changing leaves, and all the other good shit that comes with summer finally fucking off.

honey, you can be a basic bitch even if you aren't a girl ;)

the fragile is a perfect fall album to me, and it's probably because of when it was released coupled with all the emotions i associate both with the album and with the season.

botley
09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
I was just about to turn 13 when The Fragile came out, so it marks a very particular moment of adolescent loneliness and escapism for me... it so happens I was more than double that age when Hesitation Marks dropped, so there's a very broad gulf between them, as far my experiential impressions go. Both are great albums, but something about The Fragile and the whole mood/vibe of NIN in that era is what imprinted on me strongest of all.

BRoswell
09-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Ghosts is my go-to fall/winter album. It really has a way of tapping into how I feel during the changing of the seasons.

sick among the pure
09-18-2019, 09:53 PM
One year ago tonight they played TPD live for the first time, so I went back and watched my clip of the beginning and got that massive like adrenalin/serotonin and goosebumps. I still can't believe that fucking happened.

SM Rollinger
09-18-2019, 10:31 PM
One year ago tonight they played TPD live for the first time, so I went back and watched my clip of the beginning and got that massive like adrenalin/serotonin and goosebumps. I still can't believe that fucking happened.

Felt that was when they played AATCHB, I know where your coming from.

edit: I just wanted to add that I get that rush of adrenalin when I listen to any tape I've made from a show I've been to, nin moreso than other bands. Especially my 2013 tape with how Copy of A would build up, I can close my eyes and I'm back in the transporter room again.

versusreality
09-20-2019, 05:37 PM
20 years ago tomorrow...The Fragile came out

MrLobster
09-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Naaah, naaaah, naaah nah... naaaah naah naah naaah naaaah... We're in this together now; the day the whole world went away; incorporated! (thank you goodnight! *Kiss crowd cheering noises*)

Where is everybody?!

simonn
09-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Wanted to listen to Suck on YT. Had to type in 'NIN Suck' to get it. Felt wrong for typing it.

Probably happened a million times already, so....

Anyway, ended up watching Woodstock.....is Danny playing the keyboards at the start of SICNH or miming...?

HWB
09-23-2019, 03:39 AM
Still fascinated by how hard hitting the entire Trilogy is.

I am starting to feel the nostagia when 2016 was nearing its end and most of us didn't believe new NIN would come out, people were joking around about it and then bam, suddenly NTAE was announced basically out of the blue, I remember NIN website becoming just the NIN logo, suddenly coming back, re-designed, with an announcement of the new EP which will apparently be gritty, went as far to mention it won't sound like anything like Hesitation Marks.

The two or one week wait felt like an eternity, I was so goddamn excited, I remember that when I got the email to Burning Bright and the entire EP (since I pre-ordered), I was in my class and I just wanted to go home, I didn't even have any earphones at the time. First thing I did home was to instantly download the EP, I didn't even bother to change my clothes, I was blown away instantly when Branches/Bones' chorus came on. It's probably my most listened to NIN release since it was the first one I got to witness being released. It still blows me away at how hard hitting it is. It's so dirty, visceral, manic, loud, dissosant, it was everything I wanted the new NIN release to be and I got much more.

Sorry if this out of the blue, I am just incredibly happy with these releases, NTAE is kind of close to my heart, evne though I think I may love Bad Witch even more.

Erneuert
09-24-2019, 05:24 AM
I’ve noticed a common thread between NIN fans is obsessive-compulsive behaviour. Trent is very much like this with order and keeping things tidy with the halo and sigil systems. I’m quite fond of how that particular quirk connects us (in just one of many ways).

butter_hole
09-29-2019, 01:27 AM
God, nothing like a NIN dream. I'm sure we all get dreams where we go to see our favourite bands, but there's no-one there, and the performance space is tiny, and Trent seems really really drunk - or is it an act? - and Trent comes into the crowd (about fifteen of you) and he personally recognises you? I'm sure everyone gets those.

Max
09-29-2019, 08:43 AM
So like once a month I am wearing a NIN tshirt and some stranger comes up and is like, “oh man! Nine inch nails! I haven’t seen a NIN t-shirt in years!” And I’m like, “oh man, you listen to them to?” “No, but I did back in the day. Best concert of my life.” And I proceed to tell them that their new stuff is just as good if not better than what they were doing in the nineties and they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and relatable music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

Ageism, blah blah blah, get off my lawn...

StockAvuryah
09-29-2019, 02:35 PM
So like once a month I am wearing a NIN tshirt and some stranger comes up and is like, “oh man! Nine inch nails! I haven’t seen a NIN t-shirt in years!” And I’m like, “oh man, you listen to them to?” “No, but I did back in the day. Best concert of my life.” And I proceed to tell them that their new stuff is just as good if not better than what they were doing in the nineties and they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and real entertainment music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

"real entertainment"

Excuse me how and what

katara
09-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Everything is entertainment these days. Even politics is entertainment. With practically every company touting a streaming service, we're drowning in it. Entertainment has become incredibly throwaway. There's so much to watch, listen to, play, and digest that it's impossible to get through it all in a lifetime. Choosing who and what to support or devote my attention to is paralysing. At least, that's the way I see it.

Max
09-30-2019, 11:48 AM
"real entertainment"

Excuse me how and what

LOL. Sorry, that was a weird autocomplete error on my iPhone I didn't catch. Hell no, not entertainment. Ugh. Horrible. "relatable" was the intended word.

Kulerage
10-02-2019, 06:30 PM
they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.

Their loss.

Hyperpower
10-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Everything is entertainment these days. Even politics is entertainment. With practically every company touting a streaming service, we're drowning in it. Entertainment has become incredibly throwaway. There's so much to watch, listen to, play, and digest that it's impossible to get through it all in a lifetime. Choosing who and what to support or devote my attention to is paralysing. At least, that's the way I see it.

A big part of this is the access to all this content. I remember TR talking about his teenage days and not having access to everything and saying something about having to pick one record, good or bad you were stuck with it and so you gave it your full attention. You saying that reminded me of when TR mentioned this in an interview a few years ago.

katara
10-03-2019, 01:42 PM
A big part of this is the access to all this content. I remember TR talking about his teenage days and not having access to everything and saying something about having to pick one record, good or bad you were stuck with it and so you gave it your full attention. You saying that reminded me of when TR mentioned this in an interview a few years ago.
Exactly. The same is true with all entertainment media. Once you bought it, you were fucking committed to that thing and it was yours whether you liked it or not, so you had to like it unless you could find someone to trade with. Review magazines were often bought out by the companies producing the content, so it was tough to know if something was good or bad until you experienced it yourself. Times were different then. Seems like a whole lifetime ago.

Back in the day, a guy I barely knew who worked in a different department came up to me and tried to get me to buy his copy of Broken. He bought it because he'd heard that I liked Nine Inch Nails, but it wasn't his thing (he was into Classical music). He got pretty angry when I told him that I wasn't interested because I already had a copy. I guess he had some weird respect for me even though we had previously exchanged no more than one or two words. Unfortunately, he never spoke to me again after that incident, so I never got to find out what happened to the album. I hope he stuck with it.

HWB
10-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and relatable music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

This makes me really sad too, I don't know how to convince for the lack of a better word "normies" that NIN's newest output is absolutely worthy of listening to, Bad Witch seems to have gotten more attention from people whom are passionate about music more so than Hesitation Marks, but to me, it still didn't feel like it was enough, instead people focused more on "You Won't Get What You Want", which while was good, it wasn't nearly as progressive with its sound as Bad Witch was.

I honestly think Trent never lost it and his music never lost the thunder, I've seen a lot of complaints over the years for new NIN music, which while I obviously try to respect, I don't understand, don't get, such as saying NIN's music has become too sterile, safe, I just don't hear that, at all. If anything the EP Trilogy is far more innacessible and experimental than the work people tend to consider "dangerous" from NIN. And even then, The Slip, Year Zero had plenty of grit, anger, heaviness to them, sometimes it feels people choose to ignore this fact.

I remember when NTAE came out and some people were calling it also safe and sterile, which just made me wonder if those who made those claims about that EP gave it a chance in the first place. I don't know.

I'd love for NIN to be far more popular than it is currently, or get more appreaciation perhaps that is the better word? Especially the latest work, I am scared to think that a lot of "fans" outside of this website and other places like NIN-Discord, Reddit, are the ones you see on Facebook, begging Trent to go back to the "heroine" (which he never did) and other crap. I still don't get people who over-react to a NIN single having an infenctious hook, when this is literally how this band began, Down In It, the first single and Head Like A Hole which has like three hooks in it, even The Downward Spiral, Broken, The Fragile; at their core, have infectious hooks, they are not traditional Rock albums, of course not (Neither is With_Teeth though), but Pop-songwritting is something Trent always had a ear for and he'd mix this with abrassive textures and sometimes creative structures for some songs, I saw some calling The Fragile and Spiral "Free-form" when compared to "With_Teeth" or something, as if Trent used to make avant-garde jazz albums.

Trent's music didn't become popular and even mainstream for nothing, some people, especially the ones you see on Facebook; pretend as if NIN used to be Godflesh. They pretend as if Trent started writting pop-hooks when With_Teeth was made. It probably frustrates me more than it should. It's funny, since NTAE and Bad Witch are the ones which avoid the poppy hooks the most, I saw some dude calling Bad Witch poppy too, what I am supposed to say at that point?

mauro995
10-05-2019, 06:46 AM
In my opinion with the exception of Less Than (great song, but yes, it's more convencional than any of the others), the trilogy might be some of his most daring, unsafe work ever. Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to. The decaying loop in The Background World just turns what may be an accessible song into a noise experiment, and Bad Witch is basically a noisy as hell mix of jazz and industrial that came out of nowhere.

HWB
10-05-2019, 03:26 PM
In my opinion with the exception of Less Than (great song, but yes, it's more convencional than any of the others), the trilogy might be some of his most daring, unsafe work ever. Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to. The decaying loop in The Background World just turns what may be an accessible song into a noise experiment, and Bad Witch is basically a noisy as hell mix of jazz and industrial that came out of nowhere.
I agree, but doesn't Dear World's chorus have plenty of melody in it? Other than that, yes, it's easily his most dissosant thing ever.

katara
10-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to.
Actually, melody has been disappearing from pop music over the last few decades. Many songs are comprised of only two or three notes now. A bass loop, cheap drum machine percussion, and a monotone, almost spoken vocal line. A word that's been thrown around a lot is 'timbre', which seems increasingly more important in pop circles than melody.

Here's a video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Vn9V-tRCo

mfte
10-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I was today years old when I learned that Reptile has a significant portion of Laura Palmer's theme sampled in the bridge.

eversonpoe
10-06-2019, 12:16 AM
I was today years old when I learned that Reptile has a significant portion of Laura Palmer's theme sampled in the bridge.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xULW8Fl3U6QWpJlAc0/giphy.gif

butter_hole
10-06-2019, 02:51 AM
Never seen this art before: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1999-Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Day-The-World-Went-Away-JAPAN-single-mini-poster-ad-9r/311729409649?hash=item4894854e71:g:k4oAAOSwB09YEpK I&frcectupt=true

Erneuert
10-06-2019, 06:03 AM
Never seen this art before: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1999-Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Day-The-World-Went-Away-JAPAN-single-mini-poster-ad-9r/311729409649?hash=item4894854e71:g:k4oAAOSwB09YEpK I&frcectupt=true

Wow, me either. I love it.

mfte
10-06-2019, 11:36 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/xULW8Fl3U6QWpJlAc0/giphy.gif

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/545179/Nine-Inch-Nails-Reptile-Twin-Peaks-Laura%27s-Theme/

mauro995
10-06-2019, 01:32 PM

That might explain why She's Gone Away included Reptile lyrics in the background of NTAE's physical component.

eversonpoe
10-06-2019, 10:12 PM
https://www.whosampled.com/sample/545179/Nine-Inch-Nails-Reptile-Twin-Peaks-Laura%27s-Theme/

holy shit. i can't believe i never realized it. the first time i watched twin peaks and heard that piece of music, i knew that ascending progression sounded familiar!

That might explain why She's Gone Away included Reptile lyrics in the background of NTAE's physical component.

and the fact that the song was played on season 3 of twin peaks (and is pretty clearly about laura). makes it seem like reptile could also be about laura.

piggy
10-06-2019, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I pointed that out a couple of years ago... But I totally can't find the post...

fillow
10-07-2019, 12:21 AM
There's no "sample" there. It even says so in the link above: Interpolation (Replayed Sample)

HWB
10-07-2019, 01:40 AM
I know Reptile samples Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Leviathan. But that's all I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkBXMjrQ_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUk4bvrFY2A

artdeco
10-07-2019, 04:52 AM
I know Reptile samples Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Leviathan. But that's all I think

I believe those robotic shifting sounds are from James Cameron's Aliens.

HWB
10-07-2019, 06:10 AM
I believe those robotic shifting sounds are from James Cameron's Aliens.
What an amazing use of those samples!! I love those robotic sounds, it was what hooked me unto the song when I heard it for the first time

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea where Trent and Ross sampled those creepy laughs from The Lovers? Definetelly sounds like they got it from somewhere, wish I knew where, it adds so much to the song.

Balthier
10-08-2019, 09:00 AM
'Torn Polaroid' from The Vietnam War Soundtrack is a brilliant track. Truly haunting and beautiful.

butter_hole
10-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Fun ad, I've never seen it before:

https://i.imgur.com/qrdUh5E.jpg

Halo Infinity
10-14-2019, 07:44 AM
This already ties in with seeing Nine Inch Nails live, but I feel thankful to have had my "Middle of the decade" experiences with seeing NIN live in both the 2000s (2005) and the 2010s (2013). -Close enough, since it was almost 2014 by then anyway.-

I just ended up thinking about the "Middle of the decade" with NIN because of the legendary/epic era that was The Downward Spiral. If only I caught that, but I wasn't a fan yet, nor was I even aware that NIN existed. And well, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks were certainly great times, as with any/all NIN eras.

I also know it's unlikely, but I hope to see NIN in at the Citi Field stadium located in Queens, New York some day, as I went to see NIN in Manhattan, Brooklyn and even Long Island, yet Queens would still be the most convenient commute for me out of them all, especially since Citi Field is also located in Flushing Meadows - Corona Park of all places, less than 1 hour from home.

nooneimportant
10-15-2019, 05:13 AM
Fun ad, I've never seen it before:

https://i.imgur.com/qrdUh5E.jpg

I could buy Broken at Nickelodeon!?

Halo Infinity
10-15-2019, 08:35 PM
I could buy Broken at Nickelodeon!?

Whoa. I seriously glossed that over big time as I kept staring at the prices. And to think how Broken is a shade of orange mixed with yellow and some red, which still goes perfectly with the old Nickelodeon logo. I also like how most of my best memories with Nickelodoen also coincide with Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

And now I'm reminded of the Deep video having some random gags of it being sponsored by Nickelodeon due to the green slime on its YouTube comments. :p

Erneuert
10-22-2019, 03:23 AM
Remember when The Hand That Feeds first leaked from that radio station in really crappy quality and we all went gaga over it?

Remember when I copied that link from aperfectcircle.net forums and we heard 30 second samples of all the With_Teeth tracks?

Remember going apeshit on the website that first recorded TR doing Non-Entity with the beat box? We all saw the track title first, then spent the next few hours trying to find the actual damn song.

Listening to the studio version of Non-Entity now and eating member berries.

jmtd
10-27-2019, 03:21 AM
Makemkv can't handle my PAL AATCHB disc 1. Which is interesting. I'll have to rip it with something else.

Halo Infinity
10-27-2019, 01:57 PM
"This is Trent Reznor. A man with a flair for wearing jewelry. In his nose."

Classic. (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/5354-NIN-Spotting-2019?p=471290#post471290)
"You see. Trent Reznor emerged as an underground rock star last year with a band called Nine Inch Nails. I know. I know. It's more like Nine Inch Noise." ;)

But really though. It's still one of my favorite moments on that episode of Hard Copy concerning the accidental controversy that surrounded Down In It at the time. :p

tap3worm
10-28-2019, 02:29 AM

Isn't the crescendo from Laura Palmer's theme used in Reptile?

butter_hole
10-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Remember when The Hand That Feeds first leaked from that radio station in really crappy quality and we all went gaga over it?

Remember when I copied that link from aperfectcircle.net forums and we heard 30 second samples of all the With_Teeth tracks?

Remember going apeshit on the website that first recorded TR doing Non-Entity with the beat box? We all saw the track title first, then spent the next few hours trying to find the actual damn song.

Listening to the studio version of Non-Entity now and eating member berries.

I remember reading a story on the old ETS about a guy being a huge NIN fan and working at a pizza store in the middle of nowhere USA, hearing the Hand That Feeds come on the radio, and vaguely being aware that "oh my god, it's the new NIN song" and going apeshit over it, jumping up and down and letting a bunch of pizzas go cold.

Struck me as strange, because it was the first new NIN track in 6 years (not really if we're counting Still) - the distance between 1999-2005 feels unimaginably longer than the distance between 2013 and today.

Erneuert
10-29-2019, 12:46 AM
I remember reading a story on the old ETS about a guy being a huge NIN fan and working at a pizza store in the middle of nowhere USA, hearing the Hand That Feeds come on the radio, and vaguely being aware that "oh my god, it's the new NIN song" and going apeshit over it, jumping up and down and letting a bunch of pizzas go cold.

Struck me as strange, because it was the first new NIN track in 6 years (not really if we're counting Still) - the distance between 1999-2005 feels unimaginably longer than the distance between 2013 and today.

I think it felt longer due to lack of internet and less social media etc.

Max
10-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Personally I would chalk it up to age - 6 years passing when you are in your teens/20's vs. 30/40's feels very different. Perception of time generally speeds up with age.

Magnetic
10-29-2019, 07:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lle9QD93kA0

katara
10-29-2019, 04:45 PM
How the fuck has Underneath It All never been played live?

Max
10-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Everyone should be listening to Pod Like a Hole. Those guys are great. Fun show. Come for the NIN, stay for Bowie.

buckaroo
10-30-2019, 11:09 AM
How the fuck has Underneath It All never been played live?

Yes! One of my favorite tracks of all time. So underrated. I always thought that would be such a great opener.

eversonpoe
10-30-2019, 04:31 PM
Everyone should be listening to Pod Like a Hole. Those guys are great. Fun show. Come for the NIN, stay for Bowie.

i've never checked it out but i sure do miss editing episodes of Underneath It All​ :(

Max
11-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Nine Inch Nails should do a Bowie cover album. I know they never will, but it would be amazing. The possibilities are endless. If The Flaming Lips can do Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Peppers in their entirety, why not?

Here would be my dream NIN Bowie cover album, songs that I think Trent could pull off vocally and that would fit NIN thematically:

Subterraneans
Scary Monsters
I'm Deranged
Station to Station
Blackstar
If you can see me
I Would Be Your Slave
I'm Afraid of Americans
Always Crashing in the Same Car
I Can't Give Everything Away
Time

pcpunk
11-05-2019, 09:47 AM
I've often dreamt of an album consisting of studio or at least rehearsal versions of the Bowie, Joy Division and Numan covers they've done live.

Tom
11-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Here would be my dream NIN Bowie cover album...
Nice list, but you forgot 'Magic Dance'.

Max
11-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Well, I think we know what Over and Out’s “I’ve always been ten years ahead of you” means.

from a recent interview in Forbes:

Reznor: Generally when I finish something, Downward Spiral comes to mind, as does I'd say the first three real albums — Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral and The Fragile — when The Fragile came out I'd been working on it so long and loved it and I was heartbroken that people didn't like it. And the majority of the fans didn't like it, they complained it didn't sound like Downward Spiral. And it was kind of accentuated by the record label also, "Only sold 400,000 records first week." It was hard not to let that kind of creep into your sense of disappointment. Man, I wish my audience would have gone on the trip with me. And jump ahead a few years then, especially when it got to about the 10-year mark, all of a sudden everyone's favorite album is the one they didn't like.

We don’t KNOW for sure, but it’s right there. Same with Year Zero, where ten years ahead he predicted what would happen. It seems like he is reflecting on this and his legacy. It makes a lot of sense and it is a lot deeper than just “album anniversaries”. It’s going through the pain of rejection only to find out you were right all along and feeling vindicated.

eachpassingphase
11-06-2019, 10:54 AM
In one of the most recent articles Trent is asked about Billie Eilish. He mentions that he hasn't really listened to her music, but that Atticus has and kind of dug it, so he needs to look into it for himself.

I know I'm daydreaming here, but I would LOVE it if he gave her music a shot, liked it and tried to do something with her musically. Even if just one song. Billie is like ALMOST there for me, the lyrics can be a bit silly at times. But she's so young that I feel like it's not worth nitpicking over. Her image is cool as hell, her voice is wonderful and she seems willing to explore new sounds and try anything.

I feel like a bit of guidance from somebody like Trent would result in amazing growth for her, as well as her brother who shows a lot of promise in terms of his production work.

Max
11-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Another project I have often thought about that would be amazing would be Nine Inch Nails playing with an orchestra. Portishead did this, Flaming Lips, Metallica, and many others and it never gets old.

Perhaps they could do the Fragile that way? I feel like that album in particular would lend itself well to a symphony.

ryanmcfly
11-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Another project I have often thought about that would be amazing would be Nine Inch Nails playing with an orchestra. Portishead did this, Flaming Lips, Metallica, and many others and it never gets old.

Perhaps they could do the Fragile that way? I feel like that album in particular would lend itself well to a symphony.

I feel like they'd have to deconstruct some songs. I'm not sure how I feel about Somewhat Damaged in its regular arrangement or live arrangement with an strings playing on it.

eversonpoe
11-08-2019, 12:23 PM
I feel like they'd have to deconstruct some songs. I'm not sure how I feel about Somewhat Damaged in its regular arrangement or live arrangement with an strings playing on it.

i think strings playing the guitar parts would be incredible in that song!
Max that portishead NYC album (and particularly the DVD of it) is one of my favorite live recordings ever. i especially love how the orchestra members are dressed casually.

allegate
11-08-2019, 01:06 PM
You reminded me of the Dimmu Borgir show at Wacken in 2012:

https://www.festivalphoto.net/Festival/Wacken%20Open%20Air/2012/20120803_Dimmu%20Borgir%20And%20Orchestra/images/Wacken-Open-Air-20120803_Dimmu-Borgir-08078.jpg

piggy
11-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Yeah, The Church did a concert like that and released an album/DVD of it called A Psychedelic Symphony. I think NIN could totally pull it off. It would be kind of like the Bridge School shows from 2006 and the 1999 MTV VMAs.

Halo Infinity
11-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Perhaps it's because I actually haven't listened All Time Low for quite a while, but I've got to love it whenever I get caught off guard from that Final Fantasy sound.

katara
11-10-2019, 04:49 PM
that Final Fantasy sound
Arpeggiators are cool.

Music is fun.

Halo Infinity
11-11-2019, 12:30 AM
Same, NIN is so much more than a band to me. It's like asking which is my favourite child or something. This isn't just music.
I just loved the way you put that. I really do. :D

I also came across the term "Deserted island band.", and now found an extra reason to also use that term to describe my adoration, gratitude and appreciation for Nine Inch Nails.

tap3worm
11-13-2019, 04:13 PM
I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.

hani
11-14-2019, 06:53 AM
I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.

actually I've been dreaming about that since the day it was released. this would be absolutely the best.

StockAvuryah
11-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Imagine staying there, frozen, for 10 minutes after they left. ga

Jon
11-15-2019, 11:28 PM

That would be great. Instead of ending the show, though, they could come back out and perform stripped down versions of a NIN track or two for the end using simple lighting. Something like simple flood lights or hanging (miner) lights so it looks like there was a malfunction with the entire presentation. You could chop up the loop to make it even more glitchy and shorten the time. Since I'm already dreaming, they could come out and play a TR+AR score song or two instead.

Halo Infinity
11-16-2019, 10:32 PM
I don't think I'll ever get enough of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile as far as proper listens and binges go. They're often the very first two albums I listen to, and have been for the past 17 years. I don't even remember binging on Nine Inch Nails without at least sitting through The Downward Spiral and The Fragile first, even if it was for just several songs at a time. It's as if I'd have to go through those albums first during any proper listen and/or binge of Nine Inch Nails.

jmtd
11-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Just realised it's been 5 years since I last saw NIN live. Fuuuck. I think I'm going to have to hold my nose and book a festival if that's the next he announces.

katara
11-20-2019, 06:14 PM
The Life You Didn't Lead has some of Trent's best lyrics ever. Such a shame the song was never released. I'd love to hear it.

piggy
11-20-2019, 08:33 PM
So I'm listening to an ambient Brian Eno album right now and the background music that was just added to The NIN Hotline page started playing. Naturally, I freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly end up with this new layer that I don't remember it having? LOL. Then I realized that those strains from "The New Flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the Eno shit.

Leviathant
11-20-2019, 11:36 PM
so i'm listening to an ambient brian eno album right now and the background music that was just added to the nin hotline page started playing. Naturally, i freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly up with this new layer that i don't remember it having? Lol. Then i realized that those strains from "the new flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the eno shit.

yesssssssssssssss

ryanmcfly
11-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.

BenAkenobi
11-22-2019, 11:50 PM
Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.

They need to hurry, then, before our government bans it, like it bans everything it cannot make money from

jmtd
11-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Suddenly busy in nin land

Haysey_Draws
11-27-2019, 02:36 AM
I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)

Shadaloo
11-27-2019, 03:19 PM
I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)

*Purchased limited edition of Billy Corgan's new album immediately before becoming aware that the Bird Box DE, With Teeth, and now Waves have all just dropped*

*Watches Watchmen Vol. 2 drop as well, still hasn't picked up the first volume yet*

*Ralph Wiggum smile*

My life is hell right now. :)

katara
11-27-2019, 05:18 PM
It's interesting how the last ever reference to a machine in Trent's lyrics is in Somewhat Damaged. Pretty Hate Machine was the first album, then the lyric "machine" shows up several times on Broken and TDS.

It's like he's threw away some past self with the Fragile era and never looked back.

theimage13
11-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Random discovery while listening to things on random: While I'm Still Here merges into the Morris / Gilbert Zero Sum remix extremely well. Line 'em up and try it out for yourself.

kel
11-29-2019, 04:54 PM
it took me awhile to listen to bw in it's entirety and even though i thought it was great, i hadn't revisited it until today. "over and out" is my favorite closer now. it's so funky and even danceable. it's refreshing to hear a nin album end on a note like that, rather than a slow burner.

valiantsteed
11-30-2019, 07:45 PM
After a pretty long lull, we have 2 (soon to be 3) volumes of Watchmen, Waves, Bird Box extended, and the WT reissue. This is a lot of music to consume and process. Which is absolutely awesome. But I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Do I focus on one or two of these releases, and really get to know them, or check them all out (because I don't want to wait), and risk them bleeding together a bit or none of them getting the true focus they deserve?

On a long enough timeframe, there will be future droughts where this problem will be easily solved and I can go back and re-explore works in more detail (like it seems people were appreciating with Vietnam War recently), but right now I can't help but feel a bit paralyzed in terms of where to start and what listening decisions to make. In a perfect world, these would have been a bit more spread out!

These are, of course, great problems to have.

snichols
11-30-2019, 07:51 PM
you basically summed up my whole week of excitement and confusion as to where to start processing all this new music. i finally decided to just focus on watchmen vol 1 and 2 and wait to process bird box until i receive the box set, and waves will probably have to wait a couple weeks. as you said, great problems to have ;)

valiantsteed
11-30-2019, 07:59 PM
you basically summed up my whole week of excitement and confusion as to where to start processing all this new music. i finally decided to just focus on watchmen vol 1 and 2 and wait to process bird box until i receive the box set, and waves will probably have to wait a couple weeks. as you said, great problems to have ;)

Good call. Between listening to the music, the podcast, watching and re-watching the show, Watchmen is probably dominating my thoughts more than anything else and feels the most pressing to me, if I absolutely had to choose.

Yet, hearing amazing things about Waves and Birdbox and I can't help from my curiosity being peaked! Still, I think I am going to try to push them off to January if I can to give them their own space to breathe.

fillow
12-01-2019, 04:04 AM
check them all out (because I don't want to wait), and risk them bleeding together a bit or none of them getting the true focus they deserve?
I kinda made this mistake with Vietnam War and Patriots Day. Jumped on both of them simultaneously and now I can't tell them apart if a track comes up in a random playlist.

ManBurning
12-01-2019, 06:32 PM
So, every time the regular version of "lights in the sky" comes on, and it starts up "she's mostly gone" I always expect someone to yell "yeah, Trent!" After lol.

There is a professional soundboard audio from the 2009 wave goodbye sessions of this song that has someone yell that. I've probably listened to the live version more times than the actual studio one at this point.

Just an observation I came to, when the studio track just came on on shuffle on my mp3 player.

It's kinda like when piggy comes on. You gotta yell "hey mother fuckin pig" all the time. That's so imprinted in people's brains that I head people sing that all the time live, and it's always weird if he doesn't do it, cuz the whole fuckin room shouts it to the point where it's normal lol.

Papagolash
12-02-2019, 01:41 AM
So, every time the regular version of "lights in the sky" comes on, and it starts up "she's mostly gone" I always expect someone to yell "yeah, Trent!" After lol.

There is a professional soundboard audio from the 2009 wave goodbye sessions of this song that has someone yell that. I've probably listened to the live version more times than the actual studio one at this point.

Just an observation I came to, when the studio track just came on on shuffle on my mp3 player.

It's kinda like when piggy comes on. You gotta yell "hey mother fuckin pig" all the time. That's so imprinted in people's brains that I head people sing that all the time live, and it's always weird if he doesn't do it, cuz the whole fuckin room shouts it to the point where it's normal lol.

Every time I listen to a version of The Frail live I hear that guy on the AATCHB version yelling "Nine Inch Nails....Yeah!" in my head.

I also now always expect "Somethings gonna get BROKEN!" during HLAH

fillow
12-02-2019, 07:36 AM
I always expect "cunt!" at the end of The Wretched.
Also: mmmmmmmmbah! g-gotcha-gotcha (you know which song).

laststepdown
12-02-2019, 01:49 PM
The fact that all these albums (WT->YZ->TS->HM->NTAA->AV->BW)are all culminating within the YZ storyline is destroying my mental state. From The Warning in With Teeth to the A.I.R. flag in the track art for Head Down, to all the trilogy references. Most of it isn't news to me, but the Warning being confirmed as a WT demo writing. The mention of a "presence" in Bird Box. "Bleeding Through" in the lyrics for Beside You In Time, in the lyrics for Everything from HM, and again in lyrics for The Background World.

It seems like not being able to perform against a backdrop of G.W. Bush on MTV really set Trent off.

TDS/TF/HM thematically seem to be the 'reality' that this YZ story can't seem to wake up into, but it bleeds through the broken simulation machine. (?) Maybe that machine's the back cover of AV? Maybe the trilogy is the Bleedthrough concept fleshed out?

Max
12-03-2019, 02:01 PM
The fact that all these albums (WT->YZ->TS->HM->NTAA->AV->BW)are all culminating within the YZ storyline is destroying my mental state. From The Warning in With Teeth to the A.I.R. flag in the track art for Head Down, to all the trilogy references. Most of it isn't news to me, but the Warning being confirmed as a WT demo writing. The mention of a "presence" in Bird Box. "Bleeding Through" in the lyrics for Beside You In Time, in the lyrics for Everything from HM, and again in lyrics for The Background World.

It seems like not being able to perform against a backdrop of G.W. Bush on MTV really set Trent off.

TDS/TF/HM thematically seem to be the 'reality' that this YZ story can't seem to wake up into, but it bleeds through the broken simulation machine. (?) Maybe that machine's the back cover of AV? Maybe the trilogy is the Bleedthrough concept fleshed out?

I like where you are going, but I am not sure that these are all happening with that world. I think that the trilogy actually represents three different metaphors or realities for describing the same set of thoughts and feelings -

1. NTAA - I am having nightmares? Or is this a supernatural reality? I can't tell, I feel like I am losing my mind.
2. AV - We are in the simulation. Shout out to YZ, but this time it is much more personal.
3. BW - Shadows on a cave wall. Plato's allegory. But we are doomed to remain in the cave.

HM was not a part of any of this. It was about TDS and his more mature self and trying to reconcile the two.
The Slip maintained a thread from YZ but was more about his own feelings of age and relevancy, and trying to stop overthinking and just create something intuitively.

that's my take on it all anyway.

gorast
12-03-2019, 05:06 PM
I wonder if Trent gets a good laugh over how ARG-crazy this fanbase is ever since YZ.

I think The Warning was nothing more than a With Teeth demo that was carried over to YZ when Trent started working on that album.

eversonpoe
12-03-2019, 11:34 PM
I wonder if Trent gets a good laugh over how ARG-crazy this fanbase is ever since YZ.

I think The Warning was nothing more than a With Teeth demo that was carried over to YZ when Trent started working on that album.

https://media.giphy.com/media/14aK8lCSfQNh9S/giphy.gif

:p

eversonpoe
12-04-2019, 11:29 PM
does anyone else remember 0-halo.net? the site was run by someone named Comy, and i was obsessed with the artwork they made back in my early internetting days. i remember in 7th grade, i printed out a bunch of pieces of art from that site (on cloudy sky blue printer paper) for binder covers & spines because i was ridiculous. bjork lyrics + picutres of trent together? YES PLZ.

aaaanyway, somehow this came up tonight and my wife was like "you could see if the site is still on the wayback machine" and...it is... hard to navigate, but still there!

piggy
12-05-2019, 12:23 AM
Yes, I totally remember that site. The artwork was quite beautiful. Wasn't it a Japanese site or something?

And the printouts you did are totally like something I would have done as a teenager. I made my own binder covers with band logos all over them. I also used to go full fangirl and print out loads of NIN pics and R.E.M. pics (my two fave bands) and lyrics to jillions of songs using my school's printers and paper. The computer lab people didn't care. LOL.

Oh, early NINternet. I can't tell you how many happy hours I logged at sites like Above The Trees, Seems Like Salvation, Smashed Up Sanity, Happiness In Slavery, that old-as-balls Jason Patterson site, etc. Or hunting down cool merch from The Weathermen!

Erneuert
12-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Next tour, do you think TR would consider entirely shaking up the set list formula? I mean not only not ending with THTF/HLAH/Hurt, but also not following the “rule” of having to include Wish most of the time, and not always swapping out The Wretched for Something I Can Never Have following The Frail? Have entirely new openers never used before and not have any set structure with how songs need to “fit”?

I’d adore that, even if it were only for a string of less than 20 dates. Or do 20 like that with an “Assault” set list and 20 others with a “Quiet” set list. It’s random for the ticket buyer and the Quiet shows are all seated and feature soundtrack work.

I gotta stop daydreaming now.

Erneuert
12-05-2019, 10:16 PM
@laststepdown (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6264) - I think you mean the Art Is Resistance flag from the “Letting You” artwork rather than “Head Down”.

That would make the most sense; using old ideas to create new things: the rephrasing of the virus killing the host; the celebration of ignorance line later appearing in “Ahead Of Ourselves”. “My Dead Friend” speculatively became “This Isn’t The Place”. I just wish the lyrics from “The Life You Didn’t Lead” were actually recorded, because they are so damn moving.

The question mark was added to “Life On Mars?” in the Watchmen thread when I mentioned it was lacking it. Hopefully whoever was paying attention to that thread is reading this one as well. ;-)

laststepdown
12-06-2019, 07:58 AM
I did yeah. Head down has the L shaped art you're right. My slip copy is sealed, but thats no excuse. Letting You & Head Down are both pretty aggressive. I just confused the two, there is ALOT of catalogued subject work, my bad. Letting You is a very politically charged song, and fits right in the YZ theme, yes, with the attitude like we (the resistance) were letting capital G get away with war crimes and submitting to all of it. Subjectively. Letting the lawman beat up the wrong guy, you know.

Head down does talk about the feeling of it all being a dream though. The lyrics of Burning Bright "I can't tell if I'm dreaming anymore." Which fits the entire concept too.

When Saul Williams did the tour opening for With Teeth was probably when he heard the main parts for "Skin of a Drum/The March" and they probably started the work on Year Zero right away with the Warning since it was (apparently now) the most musically finished of the then unheard 3 WT tracks.

I could agree with the MDF -> TITP speculation, I went nuts when I heard the opening line. Old fans like myself probably shared the same freak out.

Also fwiw to the person that said YZ ARG made fans crazy...YZ didn't make me crazy. It was way earlier than that. Somewhere around thefragile.com giving away e-mail addresses, and checking nin.com through my entire typing class and MS word class in high school for some stupid pixelated squares and feedback loops.

I can't even go to the local NIN tribute band's show because the vocalist is terrible, doesn't even have a full octave, and belongs in a karaoke bar.

Fuck I love this band.

bobbie solo
12-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Somewhere around thefragile.com giving away e-mail addresses.

Wow i had completely forgotten about this. i had registered jessxe@thefragile.com and used it a bit. Thanks for bringing that up!

eversonpoe
12-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Wow i had completely forgotten about this. i had registered jessxe@thefragile.com and used it a bit. Thanks for bringing that up!

i was ember@thefragile.com for a looooong time

Erneuert
12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I just saw @spahn (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=21)’s post in the nincatalog thread and found the AATCHB era Q&A with Trent very interesting, especially how he describes the “Still” CD towards the end. @piggy (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568), maybe TR’s description of Still could be added to the respective ninwiki page? Never seen this little piece before:

http://nincatalog.com/printed-artwork/press-release-and-all-that-could-have-been-us-press-release-1620/

Also lol at his comment about the year 2009 at the end.

piggy
12-08-2019, 03:10 PM
I've added that to the wiki page. Thanks.

SchwarzerAbt
12-08-2019, 03:22 PM
My smartphone is more old and slow, so if I browse the intenet while listening to music the player crashes. It forces me to listen without interference.

So: the best way to really concentrate on the music for me is to listen to it on my fucking phone. ;)

Erneuert
12-08-2019, 09:18 PM
My smartphone is more old and slow, so if I browse the intenet while listening to music the player crashes. It forces me to listen without interference.

So: the best way to really concentrate on the music for me is to listen to it on my fucking phone. ;)

That’s one of the two main ways I listen to music these days as well: either in my back pocket on my phone while I’m doing housework or while driving.

eversonpoe
12-08-2019, 10:35 PM
That’s one of the two main ways I listen to music these days as well: either in my back pocket on my phone while I’m doing housework or while driving.

i listen to music when i drive, but i've (finally) started listening to podcasts while i do housework. it feels like i'm hanging out with people and makes it much less tedious to do things like dishes.

eversonpoe
12-09-2019, 03:10 PM
I just saw @spahn (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=21)’s post in the nincatalog thread and found the AATCHB era Q&A with Trent very interesting, especially how he describes the “Still” CD towards the end. @piggy (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568), maybe TR’s description of Still could be added to the respective ninwiki page? Never seen this little piece before:

http://nincatalog.com/printed-artwork/press-release-and-all-that-could-have-been-us-press-release-1620/

Also lol at his comment about the year 2009 at the end.

just read that and i have to say...i don't remember there being commentary from bill viola on the dvd. will definitely be popping it in and revisiting it if that's the case!

BRoswell
12-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Okay, since no one is going to say it, I guess I'll be the one: why on earth has "Discipline" not been used in a goddamn Pringles commercial already?

bobbie solo
12-10-2019, 12:12 PM
That’s one of the two main ways I listen to music these days as well: either in my back pocket on my phone while I’m doing housework.

I feel like a crazy person walking around my house doing stuff with one headphone in while my wife watches TV, but im probably not alone. This is probably very common.

Archive_Reports
12-10-2019, 02:48 PM
I feel like a crazy person walking around my house doing stuff with one headphone in while my wife watches TV, but im probably not alone. This is probably very common.

I do this all the time. In fact, I sleep with one in and find it difficult to stay asleep if I don't.

bobbie solo
12-11-2019, 02:25 PM
i meant with podcasts but same point.

Haysey_Draws
12-12-2019, 06:20 AM
So Trent gave us the Trilogy EP's, then a 3 part Watchmen Score, does this mean we're going to get a TRIPLE ALBUM?!!?

...almost certainly not, but it's fun to think about :rolleyes:

theimage13
12-12-2019, 07:28 AM
I would shit myself if Trent brought back The Great Below live. The last few lines of the breakdown - the higher notes? Imagine him hitting those the same way he's been hitting Last - still screaming, just in that lower octave.

Fuck, I'm getting chills just thinking about it. Or maybe it's because the heat hasn't kicked on yet. But I think it's the former.

buckaroo
12-12-2019, 07:47 AM
I would shit myself if Trent brought back The Great Below live. The last few lines of the breakdown - the higher notes? Imagine him hitting those the same way he's been hitting Last - still screaming, just in that lower octave.

Fuck, I'm getting chills just thinking about it. Or maybe it's because the heat hasn't kicked on yet. But I think it's the former.

Normally I don't like when bands play albums in their entirety, but playing ALL of The Fragile would be the last concert I ever need in my life.

Archive_Reports
12-12-2019, 05:06 PM
i meant with podcasts but same point.

So did I.

slave2thewage
12-19-2019, 04:31 PM
I kinda wish that Manhattan Project album was real. I like the idea of Trent LARPing around Wales as Coil.

laststepdown
12-20-2019, 03:58 PM
I wish we got more remixes with the vocal track done how Where Is Everybody? (Version) is.

katara
12-20-2019, 05:19 PM
I wish we got more remixes with the vocal track done how Where Is Everybody? (Version) is.
Gave Up
Ruiner (version)
Starfuckers, Inc (version) (the Clouser one)
The Great Destroyer (Modwheelmood)
Meet Your Master (The Faint)

These aren't really the same, although they all edit the vocals in creative ways. I feel like The Faint attempted to emulate what TTA did with WIE? to at least some degree of success.

I'd argue that the whole of Things Falling Apart should be in here. Damn, that album is great.

... and once again, I'm reminded that we haven't had a Reznor remix of any NIN material since RWIB v2, and that his remixes were always the absolute best from each era. *sigh*

Detunez
12-20-2019, 07:35 PM
I do not know why but listening to NIN makes me want to open up a DAW and fiddle with some noises.

ManBurning
12-23-2019, 04:05 AM
Was looking thru the Star Wars thread out of curiosity to see what people were saying (I don't care about star wars myself, but I like to keep up with pop culture references and shit).
Came across this quote:

I mean obviously if you've been on a Nine Inch Nails message board for 15 years you have some kind of emotional attachment and connection to pop culture and art. Which is fine...

His quote goes on, but I cut it out since it's the first part that struck a chord with me to post over here... I've been coming to this forum religiously since 2002-2004ish... I just felt incredibly old all of a sudden when you realize it's a week away until the year 2020... Damn. Goddamn 2020... Man... I started listening to this band in 1998, and I know that's a drop in the bucket compare to some other people around here, but that really makes you open your eyes a bit and realize how long you've obsessed over something. I'm old.

Like, it honestly feels like yesterday that this site crashed and needed to be rebooted, and that was almost 10 years ago!! That was in 2011. Man, does time ever fly or what.

Just seeing that in writing about coming here for 15 years, it seems like a long time on paper, but when you actually sit down and think about it, 10 years goes by pretty damn fast. Scary fast.

I always joke that "one day it's Christmas and then the calendar flips to the new year and all of a sudden a few days go by and it's fuckin' Christmas again!"

Hyperpower
12-23-2019, 08:27 AM
I have kind of been mulling this over in my mind about a thread based on the different versions of some tracks in the discography like March of the Pigs for example. The best version for me is the track "All the pigs are all lined up" that track is beast! would have loved to seen that done live during that last tour but i suppose we can't all have everything :)

would be quite interesting (to me anyway) to hear some of the responses regarding the various versions of some tracks and which ones people prefer.

botley
12-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I have kind of been mulling this over in my mind about a thread based on the different versions of some tracks in the discography like March of the Pigs for example. The best version for me is the track "All the pigs are all lined up" that track is beast! would have loved to seen that done live during that last tour but i suppose we can't all have everything :)

would be quite interesting (to me anyway) to hear some of the responses regarding the various versions of some tracks and which ones people prefer.

I mean, they've always done the ending of "All Lined Up" as a coda to the regular version of MotP. Speaking of live versions, the 2018 "Cold and Black" tour had some of the best-ever renditions of those classic tracks. Having Atticus onstage manipulating the sequenced stuff really brought out the electronic layers, in a way that previous lineups couldn't.

fillow
12-23-2019, 03:33 PM
I mean, they've always done the ending of "All Lined Up" as a coda to the regular version of MotP.
Yeah, but the actual track is in 4/4 all the way through, unlike the MOTP live. Kinda loses its punch in the verses, if you ask me.

mauro995
12-29-2019, 06:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTUN-jIde8

Hyperpower
12-29-2019, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTUN-jIde8

that is a very cool mashup!

BRoswell
01-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Found a once read copy of the NIN Revolver issue for a dollar. 2020 is starting off right!

Halo Infinity
01-02-2020, 02:27 PM
I've caught up with the last 2 seasons of South Park and when I saw Sons of Witches, of course when I heard bad witch, it just made me think of the album.

I've also went back to following the Angry Video Game Nerd and noticed that Sanctified cover by @InversePhase (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1417) (Pretty 8 Machine - Synctified) played around the 2:33 mark of the Chiller review. I missed it because I haven't been following the AVGN for quite some time, and it's perhaps the closest thing to an actual NIN spotting I'd ever get from that show.

AVGN has revealed his taste in music before and rock in general is his main genre, so it was a very pleasant surprise to see NIN cross paths with the AVGN. I really wonder if James Rolfe is also a bit of a NIN fan himself. I could certainly picture him rocking out to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral, while also having a fond appreciation for The Fragile and With Teeth at the very least.

Anyway, I like it when my favorite things mix, even if for just a brief moment, so thank you InversePhase and Angry Video Game Nerd. :)

I also figured that this might've been already spotted a while back, so it seemed to fit more into the Random NIN Thoughts category to me. Oh yes, and those games would've certainly fit in well with the Broken vibe as well, such as Help Me I Am In Hell, Happiness In Slavery and Gave Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd_iAWBnyfI

I also just recently caught his review on Polybius and what a missed opportunity for a NIN spotting this could've been, but it's understandable in some ways as to how NIN can get overlooked, as unfortunate that could be. Of course, it had me thinking of Add Violence and Less Then, considering how the Polybius review was uploaded a good 3 months after Add Violence was released. This is just me, but it looks like The Back Ground World could've gone well with AVGN's gradual descent into madness, horror and misery to becoming helpless addicted and obsessed with Polybius as the "machine" tries to haunt him and torment him as he attempts to finally make his escape. I also figured this would count more as a random NIN thought too, since the spotting never actually occurred that time. Although, I not only like how both of these things happened in the same year, but how Polybius video itself still came out a good 3 months after Add Violence came out. I suppose it's just as close at it got for me yet again, as far as NIN entering my other interests outside of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4hktqhBpzY

Aside from all that, it turns out that The Fragile actually grew on YouYouYou now U.U.U because he got into Tool and it helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation for The Fragile. I can only hope that The Downward Spiral grows on him too, but at least this guy now likes both Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile. As always, NIN just sometimes takes time, for some more than others, and clearly ages well. I know ETS usually isn't that fond of reaction videos either to say the least, especially as a spotting, but this was also a pleasant surprise to me, since his first listen to The Fragile didn't go well at all, while it also being a breath of fresh air knowing that he now likes Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e00NDiQkpKQ

tony.parente
01-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Watching the OG Final Destination and didn’t realize into the void was in this movie. I didn’t know the series was low key named after a lyric of a NIN song.

laststepdown
01-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Watching the OG Final Destination and didn’t realize into the void was in this movie. I didn’t know the series was low key named after a lyric of a NIN song.

I thought the song and the lyric itself was in the original trailer for the movie? I could be wrong.

eversonpoe
01-03-2020, 01:46 PM

that whole scene is amazing. i love that they used the part of the song where he sings "final destination" and i love that Carter, of all characters, is listening to NIN. like i can imagine Clear listening to them, but Carter? he'd be listening to rap and thinking that makes him "cool"

BRoswell
01-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I didn’t know the series was low key named after a lyric of a NIN song.

Not sure if it was. The idea for the original was originally intended to be pitched as an X-Files episode, so it probably predates The Fragile.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2020, 05:26 PM
I still can't get the "Whoever threw that, fuck you all right?" and "What did you throw up here? What did you throw? Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man." out of my mind from Closure whenever I listen to Something I Can Never Have and The Only Time. My mind just fills in those parts with those exact quotes, even if I'm just listening to Pretty Hate Machine.

I also don't have a problem with it either, but I was clearly never the same way with those songs ever again after watching Closure. (I also imagine what it would like to have those lines recited to Trent in mid-song, but also see as to how that could easily turn into another Hurt incident. At the very least, he'd probably find it amusing if he instantly had Closure come to mind at the exact moment.)

Erneuert
01-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I was reading through this interview from the TFA period last night. Some really interesting stuff there. A definite “if only” with regards to this part:

mad_scientist_wannabe: Are you planning to work with Robert Smith (The Cure), like producing his solo album?

Robert and I have met a few times. The Cure has always been one of my favorite bands. When I saw them on their last tour in LA, we were on tour -- I made a detour just to see the show. We spoke at length about contributing something to his solo record. Hopefully, something will come out of that. I have great respect for him.

http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm (http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm)

katara
01-05-2020, 01:11 PM
I was reading through this interview from the TFA period last night. Some really interesting stuff there.
http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm
Yeah, there's a lot in there. Been a while since I read this Q&A.

dirtwormus: Would you ever want to be involved in the film industry in a greater capacity than your involvement with Lost Highway?

Very much so. I plan to eventually put an end to NIN and move more into film scoring and production work. And that will happen when I feel I've said all I need to say as NIN. And that could be next year or in ten years.
Ten years later, he wins an Academy Award for Best Original Score. Thankfully, NIN is still with us.

Trent also says "The new music I'm working on with NIN is very abrasive." This was in 2000. What the heck was this in reference to? The next thing they came out with was Still. I wouldn't call With Teeth abrasive whatsoever aside from YKWYA? and The Line Begins To Blur.

WorzelG
01-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Ten years later, he wins an Academy Award for Best Original Score. Thankfully, NIN is still with us.

Trent also says "The new music I'm working on with NIN is very abrasive." This was in 2000. What the heck was this in reference to? The next thing they came out with was Still. I wouldn't call With Teeth abrasive whatsoever aside from YKWYA? and The Line Begins To Blur.

i was interested in the bit where he says he was offered to do some work on the new David Bowie album (would that have been Earthling?) but couldn’t. Seems a bit sad that he was too fucked up to take advantage of opportunities to work with Bowie. There was a press conference with Bowie for his European leg of the Outside tour where he talks about planning to collaborate with Trent via tapes being sent back and forth which obviously never came to any fruition as well

neorev
01-05-2020, 04:19 PM
i was interested in the bit where he says he was offered to do some work on the new David Bowie album (would that have been Earthling?) but couldn’t. Seems a bit sad that he was too fucked up to take advantage of opportunities to work with Bowie. There was a press conference with Bowie for his European leg of the Outside tour where he talks about planning to collaborate with Trent via tapes being sent back and forth which obviously never came to any fruition as well

As far as I know, David Bowie approached Liam Howlett of The Prodigy to work on Earthling, but Liam turned it down. On a side note, Madonna also asked Liam to produce what would have been Ray Of Light, but he turned her down too. U2 also asked them to open for them on their Pop Mart tour, which Liam declined as well.

laststepdown
01-06-2020, 02:03 AM
Did we ever get the actual tracklist Bob Ezrin presented to TR saying 'if you were brave you would release it like this as one disc' for The Fragile?

Erneuert
01-06-2020, 03:49 AM

He certainly follows through with his plans, that’s for sure.

r_k_f
01-06-2020, 09:48 AM
It's really nice having a playlist of NIN and TRAR Score work put together by TR himself... I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on the forum, but for those not aware it's "Better Alone" on Spotify and was created 1-25-18. As the title suggests, "Trent Reznor curates a playlist of music from his catalog intended for listening in solitude. Darkness optional but recommended". Wish he would put together another since we've got so much content since then.

MAD
01-07-2020, 04:21 PM
I stared adding my collection to Discogs to see how much I've spent over the years and to have a good overview over which editions I have. Not sure if that makes me happy or sad but I feel like this is a milestone.

laststepdown
01-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I really hope the definitive Year Zero comes with a patch and thermally reactive vinyl.

And a Hot Topic $20 tshirt+album+patch bundle.

elevenism
01-09-2020, 08:25 PM
Watching the OG Final Destination and didn’t realize into the void was in this movie. I didn’t know the series was low key named after a lyric of a NIN song.oh, well fuck yeah.
That's precisely why I went to see the movie in the theater.

I'm not sure if the song was low key written to include the lyric, or if the movie was slickly named after the song, but I remember catching a trailer that featured a bit of the song, and knew I had to see it.

And I guess it wasn't horrible, right? That first disaster scene blew my mind 20 years ago

ryanmcfly
01-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Now that The Perfect Drug has made its way into the setlists. Let’s get Deep back in the rotation

Erneuert
01-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Now that The Perfect Drug has made its way into the setlists. Let’s get Deep back in the rotation

Two minutes ago I was literally just reading the ninwiki page for Deep, then read this. Agreed!

Erneuert
01-11-2020, 08:39 AM
oh, well fuck yeah.
That's precisely why I went to see the movie in the theater.

I'm not sure if the song was low key written to include the lyric, or if the movie was slickly named after the song, but I remember catching a trailer that featured a bit of the song, and knew I had to see it.

And I guess it wasn't horrible, right? That first disaster scene blew my mind 20 years ago
piggy should we add that as a bit of (unconfirmed) trivia to the ITV ninwiki page?

piggy
01-11-2020, 02:54 PM
I added a little blurb about it. I'm heavily leaning towards the film being named after the song, so that's how I stated it.

Alpha 60
01-11-2020, 04:27 PM
I’m glad Trent didn’t decide to release The Fragile as two discs because based on how he thought/worked, especially back then, he probably would not have released the second disc. There is no way to know for sure if it would have been more digestible or steadily sold more copies over as a single album. Maybe something like Things Falling Apart would have turned into something different with some of the other songs. I suppose on the positive side there was the chance that some of the never finished songs would make in appearance on a second album. I still think more than likely they would have gotten shelved. Also, it is weird to think about TR changing his career because that in turn could have changed his life possibly for the worst, like not getting sober or being as relevant and prolific as he is now.

Erneuert
01-12-2020, 01:05 AM
I’m glad Trent didn’t decide to release The Fragile as two discs because based on how he thought/worked, especially back then, he probably would not have released the second disc. There is no way to know for sure if it would have been more digestible or steadily sold more copies over as a single album. Maybe something like Things Falling Apart would have turned into something different with some of the other songs. I suppose on the positive side there was the chance that some of the never finished songs would make in appearance on a second album. I still think more than likely they would have gotten shelved. Also, it is weird to think about TR changing his career because that in turn could have changed his life possibly for the worst, like not getting sober or being as relevant and prolific as he is now.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but... The Fragile is two discs...?

BRoswell
01-12-2020, 01:32 AM
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but... The Fragile is two discs...?

I think they mean as two separate albums released months apart (ala Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac).

To be honest, I don't think it would have been more popular had he gone that route. The issue wasn't the length of the album. It was the musical climate at the time and the expectations that people had following The Downward Spiral.

Erneuert
01-12-2020, 02:35 AM
I think they mean as two separate albums released months apart (ala Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac).

To be honest, I don't think it would have been more popular had he gone that route. The issue wasn't the length of the album. It was the musical climate at the time and the expectations that people had following The Downward Spiral.

Oh, right, that makes sense.

When you think about it, it even feels like a living thing: the first disc being "left" and the second disc being "right," like it has an actual living, breathing identity. Which really complements the already organic nature of the artwork and instrumentation. Really smart move on TR's part "naming" the two discs like that. Even though it's a small thing, it really adds to the whole experience. Kind of like The Presence and the heat sensitive disc for Year Zero.

Alpha 60
01-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Sorry that was meant to be two separate discs or two separate albums. Both Reznor and Ezrin saying in retrospect that they would/should have split it up for two releases. But, I think the cultural reaction would have been the same and then maybe the rest of it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.

Hyperpower
01-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Sorry that was meant to be two separate discs or two separate albums. Both Reznor and Ezrin saying in retrospect that they would/should have split it up for two releases. But, I think the cultural reaction would have been the same and then maybe the rest of it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.

oh yeah definitely!
if anyone needs proof of such things, just look at all the things have been shelved over the years.

on that note, it is quite disappointing to see all the things have gotten the shelf treatment.

laststepdown
01-13-2020, 06:45 AM
My phone somehow changed the artist "Nine Inch Nails" to "The Nine Inch Nails" on my entire catalog of audio.

I used to edit ID tags for hours. I don't know how to edit it on my phone.

I don't even care anymore.

That's just the official band name now.

OSPF
01-13-2020, 03:27 PM
My phone somehow changed the artist "Nine Inch Nails" to "The Nine Inch Nails" on my entire catalog of audio.

I used to edit ID tags for hours. I don't know how to edit it on my phone.

I don't even care anymore.

That's just the official band name now.

What app are you using? My Samsung Music app does weird things like this to me too.

laststepdown
01-13-2020, 03:51 PM
What app are you using? My Samsung Music app does weird things like this to me too.

The same default Samsung Galaxy Music Player. It happened around the time I put the noise file that came with the KROQ Acoustic Christmas on my phone.

The weirdest part is my PC library is unphased, and no "The Nine Inch Nails" exists anywhere on any tag.

Jon
01-13-2020, 04:01 PM
The same default Samsung Galaxy Music Player. It happened around the time I put the noise file that came with the KROQ Acoustic Christmas on my phone.

The weirdest part is my PC library is unphased, and no "The Nine Inch Nails" exists anywhere on any tag.

Your nudes are all over the Internet. Burn your phone.

Volk
01-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Anyone seen this YouTube channel before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrkwf4fxzQU
They just posted analysis of NIN. Some of their Tool / APC is um, interesting as well.

botley
01-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Anyone seen this YouTube channel before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrkwf4fxzQU
They just posted analysis of NIN. Some of their Tool / APC is um, interesting as well.
Yes! There's a brand-new thread devoted to this very exciting topic (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/5780-The-Nine-Inch-Nails-Reaction-Video-Thread) we're all dying to talk about!

katara
01-16-2020, 02:45 AM
Come on, guys. I made a thread and everything.

No need to pollute the rest of the board with the stink of this garbage.

snichols
01-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Happy Birthday Atticus!

Bajoobatron
01-16-2020, 11:51 PM
I was just listening to some Skinny Puppy and "all good people are asleep and dreaming" made me wonder if "yes, everyone seems to be asleep" was maybe a call-back to them. The "Dig It"/"Down In It" controversy came to mind. Just a thought.

<shrug>

laststepdown
01-18-2020, 07:06 PM
If they play The Hand That Feeds with a giant pic of Donald Trump behind them at the HoF, I'll really enjoy it.

tony.parente
01-26-2020, 11:53 AM
So I bought NTAE on vinyl the other day, saw the sticker said it was presented on a single sided vinyl so I was expecting dead wax on the other end, saw there was something pressed on it.

first of all how did I miss that Easter egg

second of all I was NOT AT ALL emotionally prepared for side b, and neither was my girlfriend lol

OSPF
01-26-2020, 09:28 PM
A personal random NIN thought.

I was a huge NIN fan from 1999 to 2008(?). Then out of no where I suddenly lost interest. I can't explain why. I started listening to newer bands and music that was more upbeat. So when HM came out, I didn't give it a fair chance.

For no reason I can explain, at the end of 2019, I got a wild hair up my ass to buy all my favorite NIN albums on vinyl. Which brought me back to HM. This time I gave the album a fair listen and now I adore it. I don't think there is a song that I dislike.

As soon as I pick up a copy of HM on vinyl, I going to buy the trilogy that came out in 2018. The thought of three new (to me) NIN albums waiting for me is pretty awesome.

Actually, there's a lot of stuff I missed out on during my break from NIN. Like damn, I didn't know there was a fan made concert video for The Slip's tour. Hell yeah. I cannot wait to watch that.

sarctar
01-27-2020, 12:09 PM
I wonder about all the teeth, nails and points seen everywhere in the album art. Pretty hate machine's cover is a close up-- but the focus is geared toward, by an artist's eye, of all the intersections to explore. Each point is a piece of knowledge that must be explored before it can be wheedled, cut, nabbed or frayed. But fraying in and of itself makes more points. The concept of nails to a board is an attempt to assimilate pains into wood of giving and prior sanctification, but are those nails sanctified in and of themselves. Their patina must match another recognized element in the whorls of wood. Fucking of torture due to exposure of being neglected for so long (left for other things; nails) against pure visible age itself of a life lived (totem; wood).

tap3worm
01-29-2020, 08:28 AM
I wish 'Was It Worth It' made it into The Fragile, or at least had vocals. It's such a badass track.

snichols
01-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Amazing track!

Shadaloo
01-30-2020, 10:20 AM
I'm tempted by Robin Finck's new signature series Reverand guitar, but part of me thinks I'd do better just to get myself an old Les Paul *Shrug* :)

tap3worm
01-31-2020, 09:29 AM
I'm tempted by Robin Finck's new signature series Reverand guitar, but part of me thinks I'd do better just to get myself an old Les Paul *Shrug* :)

I get signature guitars, but I never understood the price.

Also holy fuck Burning Bright is ridiculously good live (based on videos)

Kulerage
01-31-2020, 05:48 PM
I wish 'Was It Worth It' made it into The Fragile, or at least had vocals. It's such a badass track.
You and me both.

fillow
02-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Can't believe I've never came across this interview before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9_3mFHL2w

OSPF
02-01-2020, 09:16 AM
I want to buy a copy of Another Version of The Truth on Blu-ray. How do I know if I'm buying a legitimate copy on eBay? I've seen two different versions/covers.

TheBang
02-01-2020, 05:52 PM
Can't believe I've never came across this interview before
It's from the MTV Fragility 2.0 TV special:

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4388001/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_M2_Fragility_2.0_tour_special_NTSC_DVD

Edit: Sorry, my bad. As the YouTube description says, it's from the "And All That Could Have Been" TV Special. Basically, there were 3 TV specials from the Fragile era. The Fragility 1.0 Special (https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/8124518/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_Fragility_1.0_and_Big_Day_Out_2000_-_DVD), the Fragility 2.0 special (https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4388001/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_M2_Fragility_2.0_tour_special_NTSC_DVD), and the AATCHB special (https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4012466/Nine_Inch_Nails_And_All_That_Could_Have_Been_TV_Sp ecial__DVD_NIN). I believe all of them originally aired on MTV-affiliated channels.

TheBang
02-01-2020, 06:35 PM
I want to buy a copy of Another Version of The Truth on Blu-ray. How do I know if I'm buying a legitimate copy on eBay? I've seen two different versions/covers.
As far as I recall, the only version of the 1-disc Blu-ray for Another Version of the Truth: The Gift was released in a tri-fold digipak, which you can see here: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Another-Version-Of-The-Truth-The-Gift/release/2850281

So all those Blu-rays on eBay in keepcases (from Hungary and Russia) are bootlegs.

SM Rollinger
02-01-2020, 06:39 PM
As far as I recall, the only version of the 1-disc Blu-ray for Another Version of the Truth: The Gift was released in a tri-fold digipak, which you can see here: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Another-Version-Of-The-Truth-The-Gift/release/2850281

So all those Blu-rays on eBay in keepcases (from Hungary and Russia) are bootlegs.

Tri fold Digi? Mine just came in a regular DVD case (I bought it new too)...

TheBang
02-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Tri fold Digi? Mine just came in a regular DVD case (I bought it new too)...
Are you thinking about the 3-disc DVD set, or the 2-DVD 1-BD set? Those came in a DVD-sized keepcase.

SM Rollinger
02-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Are you thinking about the 3-disc DVD set, or the 2-DVD 1-BD set? Those came in a DVD-sized keepcase.

I bought the 2dvd 1br disc version.

Ended up putting the DVDs in an old PS2 2 disc case and the BR in a standard BluRay case and slid the sticker into it, wrapped around, to serve as "artwork".

TheBang
02-01-2020, 08:01 PM
I bought the 2dvd 1br disc version.
Yeah, as I said, that and the 3-DVD version came in DVD-sized keepcases. TOIOU also put out 1-disc DVD and 1-disc BD versions of just "The Gift" disc, which came in digipaks. All those eBay listings of Blu-ray keepcases appear to be foreign bootlegs.

m0reta
02-01-2020, 10:56 PM

I still have a bunch of the blu-rays that I offered to reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/evwo54/this_evenings_entertainment_courtesy_of_the/fg1l5c2/) a few days ago. Let me know if you want one.

Shadaloo
02-03-2020, 09:06 AM
I really hope there's a version of "The Way It Used To Be" on a forthcoming NIN release.

botley
02-03-2020, 09:49 AM
I really hope there's a version of "The Way It Used To Be" on a forthcoming NIN release.
Having seen her perform solo recently, I'd LOVE to hear what Lisa Fischer would do with that song onstage.

Ribbitman
02-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Has Trent ever mentioned his favorite/least favorite NIN albums?

mfte
02-06-2020, 02:50 PM

I am working from memory here but I remember in the last year or 2 him mentioning that he started liking With Teeth more. I also got the idea that he doesn't love Hesitation Marks so much from a comment he made not really feeling connected to the guy he was making that record.

katara
02-07-2020, 05:14 PM
The fact that all those unreleased NIN tracks appeared on the third Watchmen LP makes me think that these liner notes are all we'll ever get, that the songs will now never be released.

Lerxto
02-08-2020, 05:22 AM
If I could choose one song for Trent/NIN to cover, it'll be A Small Plot of Land by Bowie.

katara
02-08-2020, 06:38 AM
Regardless of whatever controversy occurred around Danny Hyde and the Recoiled mixes, he did a damn good job on them. I would welcome him doing some more remixes for NIN if they ever go down that path again.

Fred
02-13-2020, 03:21 PM

Like someone mentioned previously, he mentioned a while back that he didn’t dig Hesitation Marks as much then as he did during the making of it.

He also stated at one point that he thought The Slip sounded really weird. And I think he may also have been affected a lot by the initial reception The Fragile got.

But everything seems subject to change with Trent. After all, The Perfect Drug finally became somewhat of a live staple and a few more songs from Hesitation Marks made their way into some
of the 2018 set lists after a year’s time where they only really played Copy of A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tap3worm
02-15-2020, 07:33 AM
I wonder if Trent & Atticus have ever been offered to theme a Bond film.

Shadaloo
02-15-2020, 03:28 PM
I was playing Bloodborne today and did the visceral attack to the giant pig enemies. It then occurred to me that as I was effectively a gaunt pale man garbed in black fisting a pig, this could be perhaps considered one of the more authentic 90's NIN experiences I could hope for.

fillow
02-17-2020, 05:42 AM
This must be the worst looking NIN "stage" I've ever seen. I get that it's not theirs but just the festival setup, but still... way too high and this piece of black... tarpaulin, is it? Fucking ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5a_qZxP8s

I don't know what they agreed to play so many daylight shows on that tour, especially after adding a new screen to their production for the summer tour.

Jon
02-20-2020, 06:40 PM
I saw mention of TDS and The Fragile being available on Tidal as MQA. While MQA will sound different due to the dithering techniques used, be aware that it's not all that "Master", especially how it's streamed.

First, MQA is lossy. Just something to be aware of. Essentially (and simply), two streams are packed together (96/24 and 48/16) to make something equivalent to a stream at 48/24. MQA takes a special player/decoder, so if you don't have that you're getting 48/16 at best with an additional loss of about 3 bits. Meaning you're probably listening to these at 44/13, since mobile DACs can be stupid.

Again though, these will sound different. That part is not snake oil.

fillow
02-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Just found the best Ghosts Film Festival submission ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtRTwoFl7Mw

botley
02-24-2020, 01:10 PM
I saw mention of TDS and The Fragile being available on Tidal as MQA. While MQA will sound different due to the dithering techniques used, be aware that it's not all that "Master", especially how it's streamed.

First, MQA is lossy. Just something to be aware of. Essentially (and simply), two streams are packed together (96/24 and 48/16) to make something equivalent to a stream at 48/24. MQA takes a special player/decoder, so if you don't have that you're getting 48/16 at best with an additional loss of about 3 bits. Meaning you're probably listening to these at 44/13, since mobile DACs can be stupid.

Again though, these will sound different. That part is not snake oil.
Some mobile DACs will deliver real 24bit depth and decode MQA onboard. I have a portable player made by a company called HiBy, it's about the size of an iPod and it will decode MQA natively, as well as stream it from Tidal over Wi-Fi. The idea behind MQA is to make one streaming source that's compatible with hi-res AND with lo-res devices, kind of like how video streaming services will switch resolution (depending on how fast your connection is, or how many pixels your screen supports) while the source file is converted on the delivery side and delivered at highest possible quality if your device supports it. Sure, it's always better to watch an uncompressed lossless video, but they're never going to put those on Netflix (I'm aware that at least one streaming service, Qobuz, has the ability to stream hi-res FLAC, but they're an outlier and not available in too many markets).

If it meets the criteria of "lossy", then so be it, I still have a really difficult time telling the difference between 24bit uncompressed hi-res and MQA encoded from the same source. But, with all that said, using the MQA format is still kinda dumb for The Downward Spiral, because the master was always 44.1kHz/16bit (or, at best, upsampled from that in the versions remastered by Bob Ludwig in 2004 and Tom Baker in 2016). I don't know what source they used for The Fragile, but a 24bit un-dithered 48kHz source would be just as good or better than MQA. Will have to compare with other editions to make a final call on whether it's worthwhile.

Soma
02-26-2020, 02:48 AM
Listening to Further Down The Spiral for the first time in ages.. somehow I never caught that Bowie sample in Self Destruction pt 2 until now! I'm glad that I put off getting too familiar with the remix records, they always sound so wild & fresh when I visit them.

On that note.. I would love to see the OG remix albums repressed on vinyl someday (Fixed, FDTS, TFA)

MrLobster
02-26-2020, 04:04 AM
On that note.. I would love to see the OG remix albums repressed on vinyl someday (Fixed, FDTS, TFA)

Can confirm that Fixed and Things Falling Apart on 'o' vinyl sounds pretty damned good. I'd love for FDTS to get a deluxe treatment and incorporate the UK and US tracks together....

Max
02-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Listening to Further Down The Spiral for the first time in ages.. somehow I never caught that Bowie sample in Self Destruction pt 2 until now! I'm glad that I put off getting too familiar with the remix records, they always sound so wild & fresh when I visit them.

I remember hearing it as a 17 year old and thinking, "that sounds like Bowie" but not knowing the reference. Now, if you go and look up the track it's from, "Time", it's SO good.

ryanmcfly
02-28-2020, 02:51 PM
I'm a Stone Sour fan and saw today that on their off time, they're doing limited flash sales of vintage shirts of theirs that have been out of print for a long time. Which brings me to the fact that I wish Nine Inch Nails would do something like that. I missed out on the stonewashed Now I'm Nothing shirts and would love for them to do a new batch of them (stonewashed or regular. Could do older tour shirts too.

tricil
02-28-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm a Stone Sour fan and saw today that on their off time, they're doing limited flash sales of vintage shirts of theirs that have been out of print for a long time. Which brings me to the fact that I wish Nine Inch Nails would do something like that. I missed out on the stonewashed Now I'm Nothing shirts and would love for them to do a new batch of them (stonewashed or regular. Could do older tour shirts too.

Radiohead is doing this with their Library - tons of old shirt designs are back from the dead!

katara
02-29-2020, 06:13 AM
A new NIN EP coinciding with the RnR Hall of Fame would not only be extremely welcome, it'd also be good for business.

elevenism
02-29-2020, 06:29 AM
A new NIN EP coinciding with the RnR Hall of Fame would not only be extremely welcome, it'd also be good for business.
Hot damn.
You might just be on to something.

As in, this is a very real possibility

OSPF
02-29-2020, 09:49 AM
So is Bad Witch part of a trilogy or was that idea nixed when it became an LP?

mauro995
02-29-2020, 10:31 AM
So is Bad Witch part of a trilogy or was that idea nixed when it became an LP?
It is the conclusion of the trilogy.

MrLobster
03-01-2020, 01:10 AM
Just listening"Fixed" in headphones... it's been a while since I've enjoyed the density and production of it this way. So good.

BenAkenobi
03-01-2020, 02:43 AM
It is the conclusion of the trilogy.

It's part of a different trilogy, unfinished as of now.

Erneuert
03-01-2020, 06:33 AM

A different trilogy? This rings a vague bell, but can you remind me?

Erneuert
03-01-2020, 06:37 AM
I was playing Bloodborne today and did the visceral attack to the giant pig enemies. It then occurred to me that as I was effectively a gaunt pale man garbed in black fisting a pig, this could be perhaps considered one of the more authentic 90's NIN experiences I could hope for.

This reminds me of a stand up show I was watching last night with Ross Noble. He somehow got to talking about running around a village with a pretend cock made out of plasticine and prodding it into a fat duck.

katara
03-01-2020, 01:30 PM
If that's true, why are there interviews where Trent explains how Bad Witch is the conclusion of the Trilogy, and why is there an official Spotify playlist which not only includes all songs from the triptych but also combines their respective artworks into one image?

https://www.nin.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/nin-trilogy_playlist-r0_web.jpg

zecho
03-01-2020, 01:30 PM
A different trilogy? This rings a vague bell, but can you remind me?

I am pretty sure he's joking. It's definitely the conclusion to the trilogy, and there's not another one.

BenAkenobi
03-03-2020, 12:07 AM
It's personal feeling. Not satisfied with Trent's explanation (he doesn't seem all that confident himself, does he?). No, "joking" is not the right term for that. If we went to "Random NIN questions" or another topical thread, i'd be the first to require proof. Thank you. Will add a smiley next time for clarification :)

BRoswell
03-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Not satisfied with Trent's explanation...

That doesn't mean it's part of another trilogy.

wizfan
03-04-2020, 11:18 AM
So, a bunch of free public domain 3D models were dumped on Sketchfab and one of them gave me slight TDS/CTG/Coil vibes (https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/cephalopoda-teloceras-sp-pri-76759-1bd62a85e5ac4ca1b8c4c9552798772c)

mauro995
03-04-2020, 03:39 PM
https://youtu.be/wg2v5vjz_H8

TheBang
03-04-2020, 04:36 PM
It's personal feeling. Not satisfied with Trent's explanation (he doesn't seem all that confident himself, does he?). No, "joking" is not the right term for that. If we went to "Random NIN questions" or another topical thread, i'd be the first to require proof. Thank you. Will add a smiley next time for clarification :)
I'll just point out that in this interview it's mentioned 3 times by the interviewer as the trilogy or completion of the trilogy, and Trent mentions trilogy himself, never contradicting that this is a trilogy and that Bad Witch is the conclusion of it.
https://ew.com/music/2018/06/20/trent-reznor-bad-witch-interview/

BenAkenobi
03-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Well, if it settled as trilogy as mechanical term (seeing three apples on a plate = assuming they were picked from same tree), it's convenient for the artist to think it kinda works, at the same time it's challenging enough to question it. If TR an Co achieved this goal, fine. Let's hope next bar is set higher and what looks as two-dimensional triangle is really a pyramid.
This is not in my defense, mind you. It's a testament to the music.
Move on, shall we? :)

fillow
03-05-2020, 05:34 AM
Just made this thing while working on my Amsterdam multicam edit. Too good to pass.

https://coub.com/view/2a7wvk

(shame it can't be embedded)

Erneuert
03-05-2020, 07:08 AM
Just made this thing while working on my Amsterdam multicam edit. Too good to pass.

Someone needs to make that their avatar, LOL

StockAvuryah
03-05-2020, 08:55 AM

That is wonderful

Siah13
03-05-2020, 03:05 PM
God, I do not know how in the world I somehow have not been obsessed with Still until recently... Like, where the fuck was I even?!? I think I may have been blacked out for a while... But still... STILL. So epic....

StockAvuryah
03-06-2020, 06:06 PM
Now that I think of it Head Like A Hole is very reminiscent of A Screw (Holy Money) by Swans.

I'll do anything for you.

witte
03-07-2020, 04:16 AM
Yesterday during a car trip to one my concert series (went to 'Bohren und der Club of Gore', by the way) I listened to the 'complete trilogy of NIN' on Spotify (NTAE, AV, BW) using the 'shuffle button'.
Didn't listen to these albums for almost a year now. Created some distance...Now listening to the songs mixed together gives another view.
Happy to be a TR fan for ages now and happy he explores the borders of music constantly. Realise that every next album will not sound as the last one and I'm glad. Don't look at the past, the future is ahead of us. Explore. Trent realise 'stagnate in music means musical suicide'. We can mention a lot of other bands who did and died.....
Have a nice weekend.
:D

thefragile_jake
03-08-2020, 11:52 AM
So, do we think Year Zero and The Slip definitive versions will come out this year? I'm more than likely gonna skip YZ as it's still my least favorite NIN record, but I'll be all over that Slip when it drops.

dlb
03-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Yesterday during a car trip to one my concert series (went to 'Bohren und der Club of Gore', by the way) I listened to the 'complete trilogy of NIN' on Spotify (NTAE, AV, BW) using the 'shuffle button'.
Didn't listen to these albums for almost a year now. Created some distance...Now listening to the songs mixed together gives another view.
Happy to be a TR fan for ages now and happy he explores the borders of music constantly. Realise that every next album will not sound as the last one and I'm glad. Don't look at the past, the future is ahead of us. Explore. Trent realise 'stagnate in music means musical suicide'. We can mention a lot of other bands who did and died.....
Have a nice weekend.
:D

That's a nice idea! Will do the same shuffle thing and see how this works! Haven't listended to the stuff in full since my last NIN show in Berlin in 2018.

eversonpoe
03-08-2020, 05:33 PM
went to 'Bohren und der Club of Gore', by the way

how was the show??? i imagine people would need to be very respectful and quiet because of the long pauses that sometimes occur in the music, hopefully that was the case? seeing them is definitely on my concert bucket list.

tap3worm
03-09-2020, 08:45 AM
God, I do not know how in the world I somehow have not been obsessed with Still until recently... Like, where the fuck was I even?!? I think I may have been blacked out for a while... But still... STILL. So epic....

AATCHB is a phenomenal fucking song and it destroys me every time

witte
03-09-2020, 10:56 AM
how was the show??? i imagine people would need to be very respectful and quiet because of the long pauses that sometimes occur in the music, hopefully that was the case? seeing them is definitely on my concert bucket list.
Saw them 6 months ago in Utrecht. Now the new album was out and they played nearby I loved to go for the second time. Concerts are seated and very relax and yes everybody is quiet. Live, they are great. For me it's like meditation, it makes me completely relax/calm...

simonn
03-09-2020, 03:08 PM
The fact that all those unreleased NIN tracks appeared on the third Watchmen LP makes me think that these liner notes are all we'll ever get, that the songs will now never be released.

Speculation or fact that these are unreleased NIN? If fact, please elaborate.

fillow
03-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Speculation or fact that these are unreleased NIN? If fact, please elaborate.
He means the fake album tracklist by The Nine Inch Nails (incl. Just Do It)

OSPF
03-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Of all the NIN singles, I love Came Back Haunted.

I DONT BELIEVEEEEE IT! (I don't believe it!) I HAD TO SEEEE IT!

OnInFive
03-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Hey Everyone,
My friends and I have a podcast where we talk about the rise of famous bands and artists called On In Five. We just finished up a 2 part series on the history of Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. We do a lot of research and try to build the most complete story we can. We'd love if you'd go take a listen and let us know what you think and how we did! You can find everything at wereoninfive.com (http://wereoninfive.com) where you'll find links to all our episodes, and some bonus information on the band, or you can jump straight in on Apple Podcasts (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-in-five/id1469497964), Google Podcasts (https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Isbmu2mgh3x2djzbf3fn3y7mibm), Spotify (https://open.spotify.com/show/3wDpI6XHlrdwiRC4vpEzzQ), or anywhere else you listen to podcasts. Thanks!

katara
03-10-2020, 05:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptqrkF21VI

The idea of releasing albums episodically in this day and age is apparently not limited to Nine Inch Nails.

OSPF
03-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Amazon now lists Watchmen Vol 2 as "in stock March 14." I suspect Vol 1 and 3 will do the same.

laststepdown
03-12-2020, 05:39 PM
So, do we think Year Zero and The Slip definitive versions will come out this year?

with all the cancellations, i mean, i'd hope they have the time to now.

who would have thought a deadly virus would spread while trump was president putting the entire world in quarantine?

Erneuert
03-12-2020, 05:41 PM
with all the cancellations, i mean, i'd hope they have the time to now.

who would have thought a deadly virus would spread while trump was president putting the entire world in quarantine?

2020: canceled