PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Halo Infinity
04-12-2019, 04:17 PM
For now, I just wanted to say that I'm sometimes reminded about how the names Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor seem to not just look and sound so good, but also roll off the tongue so well. It's also one of those cases, as least to me, where the musician's actual name looks and sounds just as good as the stage name itself.

As much as the music can and has spoken for itself, even without the videos and live performances, even the names are chock-full of win right there.

katara
04-12-2019, 05:52 PM
the musician's actual name.
Isn't his name Michael, though? :P

StockAvuryah
04-13-2019, 06:57 AM
I can't help but imagine how much having more of a live drum presence would have lifted the album by quite a bit.

Well.. ehm.. they actually tried to do that. Didn't work, Trent said. I think it was in the bonus interview on apple music ?

elevenism
04-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Re:HM-there are definitely tracks I LOOOVE on that record: specifically, Copy of A, All Time Low, CBH, and WIST.
There are other tracks that I think are wildly interesting and well crafted, but, I honestly just didn't LISTEN to them enough times.

All in all, I was utterly fascinated with that record, and the new direction in which it went, BUT, at the same time, it didn't encapsulate a lot of things I love about NIN. It may sound cliche, but, a lot of it just wasn't dark/noisy enough. So, I respected it more than I actually LIKED it.

It's a damn fine record, and, if it were the only NIN album, I'd still own it. And, hell, I think I would like it MORE, were that the case.

But, yeah, some of this trilogy stuff seemed like a "return to form."
Shadaloo , I'm not so sure that HM was INTENTIONALLY "safe, and, also, in a way, I would say that, by being safe, it WASN'T safe, because of how different it was.
But, I feel what you're saying.

Substance242
04-13-2019, 08:05 AM
and WIST.

While I'm Still... Trent? :-)

gorast
04-13-2019, 06:14 PM
I think HM lost a lot of shine after Not the Actual Events came out. Sort of like, when something not all the way satisfying is all you have, it looks pretty good. But then something way better comes along, and the thing you had before starts to look like shit.

I don't think it's that extreme, not for me personally anyway, but I definitely liked HM more before the trilogy came out. It feels very mellow overall, which wasn't something I thought when it first came out.

BRoswell
04-13-2019, 06:33 PM
The EP trilogy has more variety to it, which makes it feels a little fresher when you listen to it. Hesitation Marks is still good in my opinion, but it's a very uniform album with a singular focus. That's not a bad thing per se, but it's definitely something you have to be in the right mood for.

eversonpoe
04-14-2019, 08:57 AM
I think HM lost a lot of shine after Not the Actual Events came out. Sort of like, when something not all the way satisfying is all you have, it looks pretty good. But then something way better comes along, and the thing you had before starts to look like shit.

I don't think it's that extreme, not for me personally anyway, but I definitely liked HM more before the trilogy came out. It feels very mellow overall, which wasn't something I thought when it first came out.

i think that's a good way to describe it. it's like...for several years, the dessert section of the freezer was empty, and then all of a sudden, there was ice cream! and that ice cream was good, even though it was just vanilla, and the ice creams we'd had before were all sorts of different flavors. so we got used to the vanilla and enjoyed it, until the peanut butter fudge brownie showed up with a bottle of sprinkles and a can of whipped cream, and it was kind of like "fuck the vanilla, gimmie dat!"

i haven't slept enough this week, but i think i've made my point. and now i want ice cream.

botley
04-14-2019, 10:17 AM
i think that's a good way to describe it. it's like...for several years, the dessert section of the freezer was empty, and then all of a sudden, there was ice cream! and that ice cream was good, even though it was just vanilla, and the ice creams we'd had before were all sorts of different flavors. so we got used to the vanilla and enjoyed it, until the peanut butter fudge brownie showed up with a bottle of sprinkles and a can of whipped cream, and it was kind of like "fuck the vanilla, gimmie dat!"

i haven't slept enough this week, but i think i've made my point. and now i want ice cream.
Personally, I like to cut the sundae-type flavours with some vanilla here and there. 'Cause vanilla is awesome too!

Halo Infinity
04-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Isn't his name Michael, though? :P
It is, but I was also going by the credits. I like Michael too, but seeing it start with Trent seemed to give it that type of edge. If I remember correctly, he decided to go by Trent as to not confuse Michael for his father or grandfather.

My memory failed me right now. (But I still remembered that he really is Michael too.)

eversonpoe
04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Personally, I like to cut the sundae-type flavours with some vanilla here and there. 'Cause vanilla is awesome too!

agreed! when vanilla is done right, it's freakin' delicious (and, going with the metaphor, parts of HM are fantastic).

Kulerage
04-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Demon Seed should be played live

Last's bassline is really badass and it's a shame that it's mixed so low you can barely hear it.

mfte
04-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Last's bassline is really badass and it's a shame that it's mixed so low you can barely hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoAVUttyBE

WorzelG
04-15-2019, 12:57 PM
I never really liked Last as it seemed too straightforward of a rock song, now I think about it that doesn’t really make sense as a reason, I should probably give Broken a proper listen all the way through which I haven’t in years

StockAvuryah
04-15-2019, 02:39 PM
I never really liked Last as it seemed too straightforward of a rock song, now I think about it that doesn’t really make sense as a reason, I should probably give Broken a proper listen all the way through which I haven’t in years

loud enough, and it should do the trick

SM Rollinger
04-15-2019, 03:47 PM
loud enough, and it should do the trick

There is alot of NIN bass lines that are no where as loud as should be in the mix.

TBH Witha Teetha and Ahead of Ourselfs and Sanctified are the only ones that immeaditly come to mind that I can hum from memory.

neorev
04-16-2019, 12:43 AM
But going back now, and especially in light of the EP trilogy, it's really hard for me to not look at it as, I suppose, a very safe release overall (Everything aside), coming from a guy who maybe wasn't sure what NIN was anymore.

I suppose what I wish the most about it is that it had hit just a little harder. I can't be down on TR for the many standout drum machine bits since that was the genesis of the album, but also I can't help but imagine how much having more of a live drum presence would have lifted the album by quite a bit.

Absolutely agree here, especially about adding some live drums which is something I've been saying for a while and would have helped give the album more edge. I find the album stays leveled throughout, never really feels like it peaks or troughs, just stays flat and I become a bit bored. The drum machine angle gets a bit stale after a while and verses/choruses/bridges begin to blend into each other. I do like In Two. Tracks sound much better live and I wish we got more of that band feeling in the studio. Release studio versions of the live performances of tracks and I will enjoy it much more.

chuckrh
04-16-2019, 04:32 AM
we've been spoiled by the constant flow of new music from trent in all it's forms. been a little while now & i am totally jonesing for new stuff!

Erneuert
04-16-2019, 05:02 AM
TNT’s Animal Kingdom comes back for a new season next month, which has previously featured The Background World and I’m Not From This World in recent episodes, not to mention the theme song (Welcome To The Jungle) being done by TRAR. They should totally step it up a notch and write a full-fledged song for the series, IMO.

Reaps
04-16-2019, 06:25 AM
Was playing planet coaster and i think NIN should open a fun park, wouldn't you want to ride a roller-coaster called the downward spiral? Get lost in the Perfect Maze or make a decision to go up above it or down into the rather nice but unpleasant Pretty Hate Machine? Try and keep on your feet in The Slip? Avoid getting green goo on you riding on 'The Deep'? Take a terrifying walk around the house with 36 ghosts? Not being able to ride 'Broken' because it's broken.

Sorry, too much coffee today.

WorzelG
04-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Was playing planet coaster and i think NIN should open a fun park, wouldn't you want to ride a roller-coaster called the downward spiral? Get lost in the Perfect Maze or make a decision to go up above it or down into the rather nice but unpleasant Pretty Hate Machine? Try and keep on your feet in The Slip? Avoid getting green goo on you riding on 'The Deep'? Take a terrifying walk around the house with 36 ghosts? Not being able to ride 'Broken' because it's broken.

Sorry, too much coffee today.
They could make part of the coaster look like it’s Broken and you’re about to die, but then just in time, it’s Fixed

StockAvuryah
04-17-2019, 06:29 AM
There is alot of NIN bass lines that are no where as loud as should be in the mix.

TBH Witha Teetha and Ahead of Ourselfs and Sanctified are the only ones that immeaditly come to mind that I can hum from memory.

The one from Happiness in Slavery is pretty funky and put forward, comes to mind immediately for me

snichols
04-18-2019, 01:49 PM
I would love to hear a completed version of "was it worth it?" with vocals. Probably my favorite track on Deviations.

sheepdean
04-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Having finished my list of NIN covers, I realised they have done exactly 50 as of Greensleeves - if we take HTDA and TRAR covers as covers http://www.nin.wiki/Cover_Songs

Erneuert
04-18-2019, 10:43 PM
Having finished my list of NIN covers, I realised they have done exactly 50 as of Greensleeves - if we take HTDA and TRAR covers as covers http://www.nin.wiki/Cover_Songs

For Down In The Park it says “partially, Gary Numan on guest vocals”. Gary pretty pretty much wrote the song and Tubeway Army was only used for his first two albums before just going under his name. I think it should just say “Yes” in that column. botley?

sheepdean
04-18-2019, 10:46 PM
For Down In The Park it says “partially, Gary Numan on guest vocals”. Gary pretty pretty much wrote the song and Tubeway Army was only used for his first two albums before just going under his name. I think it should just say “Yes” in that column. botley?
I don't know enough about early Numan to know, but pretty much wrote isn't wrote?

Erneuert
04-18-2019, 10:55 PM
I don't know enough about early Numan to know, but pretty much wrote isn't wrote?

It was written and produced just by Gary.

botley
04-19-2019, 08:00 PM
It was written and produced just by Gary.Yeah, he also wanted to release it under his own name, but the record company insisted on keeping the "Tubeway Army" name because they had sold a few thousand copies of their first LP.

Some editions of the Replicas album credit "Gary Numan + Tubeway Army" too. It's a Gary Numan song, basically.

Amaro
04-22-2019, 12:30 AM
Bad Witch is not an LP, it's an EP. lol I still can't get over Trent's logic on that one.

It is a shorter listen than Broken, which is well known as an EP.

BRoswell
04-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Bad Witch is not an LP, it's an EP. lol I still can't get over Trent's logic on that one.

"EPs show up with singles in Spotify and other streaming services = they get lost easier. EPs feel less important in today’s music-isn’t-as-important-as-it-once-was world. Why make it easier to ignore?"

Not sure what's so crazy about that.

botley
04-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Broken is technically classifed by the RIAA (https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?share=3740) as a "short-form album" (*walks away slowly before another argument erupts*).

ryanmcfly
04-22-2019, 10:05 AM

It's also longer than Slayer's Reign in Blood. What's your point? Trent called it an album, so i don't see the point in beating the dead horse almost a year later.

ricardo
04-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Bad Witch is so much easier to find on Spotify compared to NTAE and AV that I couldn't give a crap about its length. Great idea making it an album Trent and thank you.

Amaro
04-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Not sure what's so crazy about that.

Not actually crazy to me…but why not have also called both AV or NTAE LPs as well? Maybe in hindsight he would have?

Broken is technically classifed by the RIAA (https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?share=3740) as a "short-form album" (*walks away slowly before another argument erupts*).
I also am now noting Spotify (not sure about Apple Music) lists Broken as an LP. Hmm. www.ninwiki.com (http://www.ninwiki.com) doesn't concur. System collapse.

It's also longer than Slayer's Reign in Blood. What's your point? Trent called it an album, so i don't see the point in beating the dead horse almost a year later.
I guess I wish I actually knew what the standard was for what makes an EP an EP. Maybe I never knew?

BRoswell
04-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Maybe in hindsight he would have?

That seems to be his reasoning. He saw what happened with the first two EPs and decided to switch it up for the final EP.

SchwarzerAbt
04-22-2019, 03:21 PM
That seems to be his reasoning. He saw what happened with the first two EPs and decided to switch it up for the final EP.

Even better would have been to make it an EP and then release a compilation of the trilogy as a streaming only album. With that all of the material would be easy to find and the system wouldn't be broken.

Oh well, missed chances... ;)

TheBang
04-25-2019, 10:50 PM
I should make a page for tracks only on certain formats.

For now, have a look http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs
This is my list of songs that are only available on analog media (cassette or vinyl). If anyone knows differently, please let me know:

+Appendage
Capital G (Ladytron Finite Climax Mix)
Closer to God (5:25 version, fades to proper ending, promo vinyl)
Happiness in Slavery (PK Slavery Remix)
Happiness in Slavery (Sherwood Slave Remix)
Head Like a Hole (Radio Edit) (3:43)
Heresy (Blind) (5:38, fades to proper ending, promo vinyl)
Hurt (Reverse)
Reptile (Reverse)
Sin (Radio Edit) (3:22)
Something I Can Never Have (Remastered, Vinyl, no "Sanctified" guitar drone)
Starfuckers, Inc. (Cassette, no "Complication" guitar during the ending)
Suck (Live) (TVT Summer Sampler 1991)
Survivalism_OpalHeartClinic_Niggy_Tardust!(Escaped ...
The Downward Spiral (Reverse)
The Good Soldier (Friend or Faux 001)
The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite)
The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite) (5:38, white label; Original speed at which the remix was made)
Vessel (Mix 1)
Vessel (Mix 2) (First half is the same as the Bill Laswell Mix)
Wish (3:36)

Erneuert
04-26-2019, 12:10 AM
This is my list of songs that are only available on analog media (cassette or vinyl). If anyone knows differently, please let me know:

+Appendage
Capital G (Ladytron Finite Climax Mix)
Closer to God (5:25 version, fades to proper ending, promo vinyl)
Happiness in Slavery (PK Slavery Remix)
Happiness in Slavery (Sherwood Slave Remix)
Head Like a Hole (Radio Edit) (3:43)
Heresy (Blind) (5:38, fades to proper ending, promo vinyl)
Hurt (Reverse)
Reptile (Reverse)
Sin (Radio Edit) (3:22)
Something I Can Never Have (Remastered, Vinyl, no "Sanctified" guitar drone)
Starfuckers, Inc. (Cassette, no "Complication" guitar during the ending)
Suck (Live) (TVT Summer Sampler 1991)
Survivalism_OpalHeartClinic_Niggy_Tardust!(Escaped ...
The Downward Spiral (Reverse)
The Good Soldier (Friend or Faux 001)
The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite)
The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite) (5:38, white label; Original speed at which the remix was made)
Vessel (Mix 1)
Vessel (Mix 2) (First half is the same as the Bill Laswell Mix)
Wish (3:36)

At quick glance, pretty sure HIS (PK Slavery Mix) and Survivalism (Tardusted) were both posted digitally by TR on remix.nin.com. Both versions of TPD (Aphrodite) are available digitally from the remixer.

TheBang
04-26-2019, 12:19 AM
At quick glance, pretty sure HIS (PK Slavery Mix) and Survivalism (Tardusted) were both posted digitally by TR on remix.nin.com. Both versions of TPD (Aphrodite) are available digitally from the remixer.
The posted HiS remixes were sourced from vinyl rips though, not the original files. Survivalism_Tardusted is not the same as Survivalism_OpalHeartClinic_Niggy_Tardust!(Escaped .... The latter was not posted, I believe (though I'll double-check). (Edit: It was not (https://archive.org/details/remix-nin-com-collection?and%5B%5D=Creator%3A%22trent_reznor%22+ survivalism&sin=&sort=creatorSorter))

The slowed down Aphrodite remix (6:07) was only on the Nothing promo vinyl, AFAIK. If you know differently, please point it out to me. The original speed Aphrodite remix (5:38) was only on white label vinyl. The 2016 digital reissue was remastered (so I count that as different from the original release).

fillow
04-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Pretty sure one of Vessel mixes is available in digital as around the time of YZR release it was posted on... Bill's myspace? Not sure exactly where.

Erneuert
04-26-2019, 01:48 AM
The posted HiS remixes were sourced from vinyl rips though, not the original files. Survivalism_Tardusted is not the same as Survivalism_OpalHeartClinic_Niggy_Tardust!(Escaped .... The latter was not posted, I believe (though I'll double-check). (Edit: It was not (https://archive.org/details/remix-nin-com-collection?and%5B%5D=Creator%3A%22trent_reznor%22+ survivalism&sin=&sort=creatorSorter))

The slowed down Aphrodite remix (6:07) was only on the Nothing promo vinyl, AFAIK. If you know differently, please point it out to me. The original speed Aphrodite remix (5:38) was only on white label vinyl. The 2016 digital reissue was remastered (so I count that as different from the original release).

Oh, fair enough. For some reason I always thought the (Tardusted) one was the same, just with a shortened title to make it easier on folks for tagging. I’m 30 now so my brain must be in the disintegrating stage.

ChipRock
04-26-2019, 02:48 AM
This is my list of songs that are only available on analog media

Maybe when people stop banging on about vinyl being the only real format to bother with somebody will put all these out somewhere in a nice digital bundle. *nudge nudge, wink wink*
Am I correct in thinking that we could add the Dave Sitek remix of Survivalism from the Capital G single? Or was it on remix.nin.com in low quality?

TheBang
04-26-2019, 05:05 AM
Pretty sure one of Vessel mixes is available in digital as around the time of YZR release it was posted on... Bill's myspace
I'd be interested in more info about that. Here are the Bill Laswell remixes:

CD: Vessel (Bill Laswell Mix) - 6:11
Vinyl only: Vessel (Mix 1) - 9:36
Vinyl only: Vessel (Mix 2) - 13:12 (first 6:11 is same as "Bill Laswell Mix")

Edit: I found this (https://myspace.com/nin/music/song/vessel-144109-153382). Is that the one? The song file itself was lost in the great MySpace music apocalypse, but it looks like it would the the "Bill Laswell Mix"

Am I correct in thinking that we could add the Dave Sitek remix of Survivalism from the Capital G single?
It was a bonus track on the iTunes UK album of Year Zero.

fillow
04-26-2019, 07:22 AM
I'd be interested in more info about that. Here are the Bill Laswell remixes:

CD: Vessel (Bill Laswell Mix) - 6:11
Vinyl only: Vessel (Mix 1) - 9:36
Vinyl only: Vessel (Mix 2) - 13:12 (first 6:11 is same as "Bill Laswell Mix")

Edit: I found this (https://myspace.com/nin/music/song/vessel-144109-153382). Is that the one? The song file itself was lost in the great MySpace music apocalypse, but it looks like it would the the "Bill Laswell Mix"

I just looked at whatever I have in my YZR folder and I suspect it's 9:36 remix because the file I have sounds remarkably better (or, should I say, louder) than 13:12 one (which is obviously LP sourced). I can PM it to you and you check if it's digital or not.

By the way, did you know we're living a Groundhog's Day? https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/317-Rare-Nine-Inch-Nails-Songs?p=61056#post61056

MrLobster
04-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Oh, fair enough. For some reason I always thought the (Tardusted) one was the same

I like "Survivalism_opalheartclinic_niggy_tardust(escaped. .." a lot more because it feels like part of the ARG.

TheBang
04-26-2019, 04:26 PM
I just looked at whatever I have in my YZR folder and I suspect it's 9:36 remix because the file I have sounds remarkably better (or, should I say, louder) than 13:12 one (which is obviously LP sourced). I can PM it to you and you check if it's digital or not.
Please send it on over. If it's a direct rip from MySpace, then it would be 96 Kbps MP3 (or 96 Kbps AAC if it was ripped in 2012 or later). If it was re-encoded rather than directly ripped, then it could be anything.

By the way, did you know we're living a Groundhog's Day? https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/317-Rare-Nine-Inch-Nails-Songs?p=61056#post61056
With a post by me right above yours. Time truly is a flat circle.

Though I don't think we've had this specific analog-only discussion.

Halo Infinity
04-27-2019, 12:15 AM
I am still very grateful that I can look back at The Meathead Perspective's Voice of the Voiceless and know that seeing The Perfect Drug in the flesh has been a reality so far. I had it in my mind the entire time I saw it last year, along with actual music video itself. (A lot of it also has to do with the fact that I also discovered The Meathead Perspective at the start of becoming a fan too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJdfN29sKQ

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon039.htm

Elrickooo
04-29-2019, 01:30 AM
I really wish 33 Ghosts had been played live, such a great song

snaapz
04-29-2019, 12:55 PM
What is TR working on today/now? What's next.

WorzelG
04-29-2019, 01:19 PM
i would imagine working their arses off on the Watchmen score but I hope there’s still a bit of time left over for some NIN though, haven’t they said working on different things helps the creative process?

sheepdean
04-29-2019, 04:18 PM
His pectorals, tomorrow is leg day

StockAvuryah
04-29-2019, 06:14 PM
i would imagine working their arses off on the Watchmen score but I hope there’s still a bit of time left over for some NIN though, haven’t they said working on different things helps the creative process?

reminder that this exists : https://www.instagram.com/p/BsUPAZIFZ1M/

thefragile_jake
04-29-2019, 09:32 PM

It's more than likely not happening, but I was hoping for more "Cold Black and Infinite" style shows for 2019 ... but I'm sure they've got a busy schedule that won't involve yet another full blown tour.

snaapz
04-30-2019, 07:43 AM
His pectorals, tomorrow is leg day

:rolleyes:

WorzelG
04-30-2019, 11:43 AM
It's more than likely not happening, but I was hoping for more "Cold Black and Infinite" style shows for 2019 ... but I'm sure they've got a busy schedule that won't involve yet another full blown tour.
I think there were plans at one point, maybe Atticus put his foot down, ha ha? But yes, bring TPD and AATCHB to Europe please

gorast
05-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I hope that once Watchmen is done they finally get around to approving the second wave of vinyl reissues.

eachpassingphase
05-01-2019, 09:54 PM
reminder that this exists : https://www.instagram.com/p/BsUPAZIFZ1M/

WOAH. I had not seen that yet. That tiny snippet of music is intense, and I love it.

Volk
05-03-2019, 08:59 AM
With Teeth is 14 years old today. Fuck.

Halo Infinity
05-03-2019, 03:48 PM
I really wish 33 Ghosts had been played live, such a great song
I'd like to imagine that it would segue perfectly into Over And Out.

I can still remember listening to With Teeth on Myspace before it's official release as if it happened yesterday. Upon first listen, it got me very psyched when I listened to All The Love In The World, especially as somebody that kept listening to Into The Void from The Fragile on repeat.

This will never change as well, but I will forever also remember my introduction to With Teeth from the trailer that played Beside You On Time. It gave me chills similar to the chills I got from listening to Eraser and Reptile, which was yet another reason for me to become stoked, as that was before I heard anything from With Teeth aside from The Hand That Feeds. There was also a great sense of relief from also just taking in the fact that Nine Inch Nails was going to live on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPvAXYRyhLM

Upon my very first impression of The Collector (Without also hearing it in full.), it also gave me a March Of The Pigs vibe. It was then, that I said to myself (Aside from seeing Closure and And All That Could Have Been. Live.), that I must see NIN live, which I thankfully did on the same exact year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsY1weVhx4g

thefragile_jake
05-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Sheesh! Takes me back.

I got into the band around 2000 or 2001, so at the time ... four/five years felt like such a long wait even if we had Still in between to keep us fed for "new Nine Inch Nails recordings." I was a junior in high school when With Teeth came out and I remember being on the old Echoing the Sound religiously checking for any new update or bit of images ... especially during the recording sessions with the webcam clips the year prior.

My neighbor up the street from my parent's house was on a LiveJournal blog that posted leaked albums and burned me a copy of the album because she knew I was such a mega fan. I remember people posting about it on EtS that it had leaked (which was I guess in the middle of April that year?), but my parent's still had dial up at the time and I had NO idea how to download leaked albums at the time.

When it was released, I bought the DualDisc version and couldn't stand it after it got scratched up so terrible. I got the album again in a standard CD version, haha.

Lots of great memories for Nine Inch Nails and me in 2005 as it was also the first time I saw them live later that year for the [WITH_TEETH] tour. I still highly adore that record.

HWB
05-04-2019, 05:37 AM
I'll always adore With Teeth, it's my high school album, there is something special about it for me, it has this comforting yet depressive atmosphere to it. Very vulnerable and raw, yet, still comforting somehow. It feels like an end of a chapter.

The use of piano on theme album always intrigued me, it gives all of the songs its own identity.

At times, it's my favorite.

Erneuert
05-04-2019, 05:48 AM
We really, really need that essay aTrent-ah was talking about that he’d include in the non-existent expanded edition of WT.

StockAvuryah
05-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Is La Mer really the only track with a name in another language and lyrics in another language ?

Magnetic
05-04-2019, 06:50 PM
I will fess up that I didn't appreciate WT when it came out. I grew up with PHM, Broken, and TDS was probably the most definitive album of my youth. The Fragile was something that was just overwhelming at that stage of my life. I didn't have time for it...I didn't sit down with it like I did the TDS (eventually I did and fell in love with the Fragile). With Teeth was this...he got sober album, which wasn't in line where my life was. I liked it, but it wasn't huge for me. But now it's one of my favs. Along with Year Zero. Both of those have aged so well.

Kulerage
05-04-2019, 10:59 PM
The use of piano on theme album always intrigued me, it gives all of the songs its own identity.

To me the use of piano on With Teeth feels like a natural progression from Still.

zecho
05-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Is La Mer really the only track with a name in another language and lyrics in another language ?

No lyrics, but corona radiata is Latin.

sheepdean
05-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Illum Tangendo is partially in Latin, and the title is too.

No lyrics, but corona radiata is Latin.
Eh, technically it is still English, just used scientifically

allegro
05-05-2019, 11:20 PM
“Corona radiata” = Latin origin.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/corona

https://www.etymonline.com/word/radiate#etymonline_v_36803

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/radiatus#Latin

StockAvuryah
05-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Fuck I just noticed a very slight and high-pitched melody in the left speaker in Burning Bright at 2:38 repeating during this whole verse before the following bridge. How did it take so long for me to hear this.

sheepdean
05-06-2019, 08:00 AM
“Corona radiata” = Latin origin.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/corona

https://www.etymonline.com/word/radiate#etymonline_v_36803

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/radiatus#Latin
I'm aware that it's Latin in origin, but English doesn't care and the language uses what it wants. Restaurant is an English word, even though it's just a French loan etc

allegro
05-06-2019, 12:40 PM
I'm aware that it's Latin in origin, but English doesn't care and the language uses what it wants. Restaurant is an English word, even though it's just a French loan etc

It’s an ENGLISH word if we changed it to an English form. Restaurant is a good example. Most French is from Latin, too. Until they revised it to make it truly French, e.g. Latin Restaurare became Old French Restorer became French Restaurer became French Restaurant. Corona Radiata has not changed one bit except for the removal of a diacritical mark. It’s INTENTIONALLY Latin because it’s used in a taxonomic (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_and_Greek_words_commonly_used_in_sys tematic_names) and medical context (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_roots,_suffixes_and_prefixes).

Often, medicine uses a Latin or Greek prefix and combines it with (preferably same language) suffix to create an English word for a disease. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_terminology#Morphology

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HWdPV0GMF64

This is so nerdy <3

allegro
05-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Still remember going to the listening party at the Metro in Chicago (http://www.antimusic.com/news/05/march/item47.shtml). Was weird, people standing around in a club listening to an album for the first time. (Except some of us on ETS had already heard leaks by then.)

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Anybody else keeping up with The Twilight Zone? The latest episode (Six Degrees of Freedom) ended up reminding me a lot of some of the imagery conjured by YZ (specifically The Warning, Zero Sum), as well as “The Lovers.” I can’t say much without giving away the episode, but you can probably piece it together if (hah, “if”) you’re familiar with the lyrics of those songs.

arsenic
05-08-2019, 07:57 AM
It seems I can't play HLAH on Spotify... am I the only one having this problem? The rest of PHM plays just fine

SM Rollinger
05-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Still remember going to the listening party at the Metro in Chicago (http://www.antimusic.com/news/05/march/item47.shtml). Was weird, people standing around in a club listening to an album for the first time. (Except some of us on ETS had already heard leaks by then.)

Details? Photos? I'm curious now because I mostly sat the With Teeth era out (in favor of alot of underground rap (Aesop Rock, atmosphere, el-p, ect))

botley
05-08-2019, 09:01 AM
It seems I can't play HLAH on Spotify... am I the only one having this problem? The rest of PHM plays just fine

Search for "Head Like a Hole (Album Version)" or "Head Like a Hole (Remastered)", the rights holders to the two versions may have had to relabel their tracks so they'll be kept separate.

In other streaming-related thoughts, CD3 of the "We're In This Together" single is on Tidal (https://tidal.com/album/104536245). Hooray, "Complications of the Flesh" and the full-length edit of "The Perfect Drug"!

sweeterthan
05-08-2019, 09:19 AM

The listening parties were fun. Before they played the album, there was a nin video montage. I might’ve teared up a little watching it. *fangirl*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StockAvuryah
05-08-2019, 02:19 PM
https://old.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/bm82ht/keyboard_magazine_feb_2000_article_on_the_fragile/

cool article

Swykk
05-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Watching the Wax Trax documentary. Trent shows up a couple times.

Luc Van Acker comes across pretty cunty especially on the bonus disc.

One thing is for sure—we all get old.

Kulerage
05-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Fuck I just noticed a very slight and high-pitched melody in the left speaker in Burning Bright at 2:38 repeating during this whole verse before the following bridge. How did it take so long for me to hear this.
One of my favorite parts of NIN; the small melodies that take forever to finally hear.

onthewall2983
05-08-2019, 11:58 PM
I wonder if he ever thought of using two drummers live, it could really thicken up the sound. The drums, especially on those early records are so hard-hitting I never felt like just one could convey that.

thefragile_jake
05-09-2019, 09:56 PM
The listening parties were fun. Before they played the album, there was a nin video montage. I might’ve teared up a little watching it. *fangirl*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that what ended up being that awesome [COLLECTED] promo DVD?

katara
05-10-2019, 03:40 AM
I wonder if he ever thought of using two drummers live, it could really thicken up the sound. The drums, especially on those early records are so hard-hitting I never felt like just one could convey that.
I don't know; Ilan Rubin and Josh Freese are monsters behind the kit. Is more than one even necessary?

fillow
05-10-2019, 04:22 AM
For the record, NIN did use two drummers on a few songs during 1995 Dissonance tour (Charlie used second smaller drum kit along with Vrenna). Also Alessandro played some percussion alongside Ilan circa 2013/14 (maybe on recent tours as well but I haven't seen any 17/18 videos yet so I can't tell).
I don't think two drummers are really needed, there's a lot of pre-recorded percussion that's always played from tape because Trent likes it that way, not because the band can't pull it off.

botley
05-10-2019, 08:22 AM
The "Head Like a Hole" music video called! I love the two-drummer idea in theory, but NIN makes it work with four to five people onstage (as much as I did enjoy the expanded Tension lineup).

Ale played percussion back as far as 2005 too (see "List of Demands") and picked up a tambourine in the 2018 versions of "Only". I think for Charlie's kit in 1995 and the arrangement of "Starfuckers, Inc." in 1999/2000 they put all the additional percussion on a MIDI-triggered hardware sampler, but most of the time these days it's all sequenced from a software sampler on Atticus' rig. Ilan still hits MIDI triggers too, for songs like "The Wretched" with non-acoustic noises that form part of the main groove.

ryanmcfly
05-10-2019, 08:36 AM
For the record, NIN did use two drummers on a few songs during 1995 Dissonance tour (Charlie used second smaller drum kit along with Vrenna). Also Alessandro played some percussion alongside Ilan circa 2013/14 (maybe on recent tours as well but I haven't seen any 17/18 videos yet so I can't tell).
I don't think two drummers are really needed, there's a lot of pre-recorded percussion that's always played from tape because Trent likes it that way, not because the band can't pull it off.

I think Ally played percussion on Find My Way on the Hesitation Marks cycle iirc

botley
05-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I think Ally played percussion on Find My Way on the Hesitation Marks cycle iirc
That was Josh E. and only in 2013.

Volk
05-10-2019, 03:26 PM

I went to the listening party in Philly. it was a bit weird, but I had a good time. Of course, there were 2 guys who 'pre-gamed' and were drunk AF and jumping around in a tiny club.

StockAvuryah
05-14-2019, 06:53 AM
here's an updated flowchart from the old mu one : https://i.imgur.com/YFXIsiN.jpg

edit : higher res - https://i.imgur.com/fZoh0OA.jpg

eversonpoe
05-14-2019, 09:47 AM
here's an updated flowchart from the old mu one : https://i.imgur.com/YFXIsiN.jpg

this is fantastic

katara
05-15-2019, 04:04 AM
I always been curious as to why The Perfect Drug Versions is almost entirely comprised of only two lines from the song: "You are the perfect drug" and "take me with you".

Part of me says that Trent only sent partial vocal stems to increase creativity with the music. Another part wonders if it's just some bizarre coincidence.

snichols
05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Trent turns 54 tomorrow!

blassster
05-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Spit on me once, shame on you.

Spit on me twice, shame on me.

Spit on me thrice, and I'm gonna rip your fucking cunt off.

Frolick Shiawase
05-17-2019, 11:07 PM
I'm STILL coming down from the hype of seeing NIN live for the first (and hopefully not only) time on Corona Capital.

And I'm really fond of a certain moment in the concert. We were in Starfuckers, and the You're So Vain part came in, and people in Mexico have a certain... Affinity of screaming things and speeding up while they do it... So people went:
"Don't you... don't you... don't you, don't you, don't you don't you DONTYOU DONTYOU DONTYOUSDONTYOU"

There was a brief moment of silence from Trent, and he went "The Fuck?... YouuuuuAAARGH!" And the song continued as normal.

I had known up until that point that Trent gor annoyed beyond human belief when people messed up the bridge, even making the "you fucked up the whole middle section" audio happen.

Having Trent go "The Fuck?!" on our concert was completely memorable, and my close friends all reference it when one says "The fuck?" they always complete it with a "youuuu"

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huiy87xmr40 3:38, to hear the complete clusterfuck this was.)

Halo Infinity
05-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Every time Trent Reznor's birthday approaches, Trent Turns 35 (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon001.htm), Trent Turns 37 (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon006.htm) and Trent Turns 38 (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon014.htm) still play in my mind without fail. ;)

henryeatscereal
05-18-2019, 11:14 PM
I'm STILL coming down from the hype of seeing NIN live for the first (and hopefully not only) time on Corona Capital.

And I'm really fond of a certain moment in the concert. We were in Starfuckers, and the You're So Vain part came in, and people in Mexico have a certain... Affinity of screaming things and speeding up while they do it... So people went:
"Don't you... don't you... don't you, don't you, don't you don't you DONTYOU DONTYOU DONTYOUSDONTYOU"

There was a brief moment of silence from Trent, and he went "The Fuck?... YouuuuuAAARGH!" And the song continued as normal.

I had known up until that point that Trent gor annoyed beyond human belief when people messed up the bridge, even making the "you fucked up the whole middle section" audio happen.

Having Trent go "The Fuck?!" on our concert was completely memorable, and my close friends all reference it when one says "The fuck?" they always complete it with a "youuuu"

I don't think Trent was annoyed at all, i think he appreciated the messy chorus and went with it...

He did a similar thing the during the "WITH_TEETH Tour" in Mexico when he played "Starfuckers.Inc", basically interrupting the song to thank the people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9VwIZn6pg

(Minute 1:01:53)

katara
05-21-2019, 02:53 AM
Ringfinger would have been great to bring back for the 2013 Hesitation Marks tours. It would have worked very well alongside the new material.

Sucks that it was last played in 1991.

botley
05-21-2019, 09:30 AM
I don't think Trent was annoyed at all, i think he appreciated the messy chorus and went with it...

He did a similar thing the during the "WITH_TEETH Tour" in Mexico when he played "Starfuckers.Inc", basically interrupting the song to thank the people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9VwIZn6pg

(Minute 1:01:53)
LOL, thanks for posting that. Brings back good memories to see Dresden Dolls playing "War Pigs" there at the start of the show!

henryeatscereal
05-21-2019, 09:59 PM
LOL, thanks for posting that. Brings back good memories to see Dresden Dolls playing "War Pigs" there at the start of the show!
It was a great show, one of the greatest nights of my life, that's for sure!
The Dresden Dolls actually signed my CD that day, good times!

Toadflax
05-22-2019, 12:46 PM
The best girlfriend strikes again! (Last year it was the Australian Into The Void CD.) [emoji16]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/a0bf1e012cec28533d6303b1384e9187.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/ceb46a374dfd1f321816be17dd8b6d2c.jpg

Max
05-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Further Down the Spiral is back on a Apple Music. Not sure why is vanished before but glad to see it return.

nooneimportant
05-24-2019, 12:25 AM
Ringfinger would have been great to bring back for the 2013 Hesitation Marks tours. It would have worked very well alongside the new material.

Sucks that it was last played in 1991.

I feel like Ringfinger and That's What I Get would be pretty great with the current band.

eachpassingphase
05-24-2019, 09:08 AM
I was just thinking about how if NIN gets inducted into the RHOF eventually we should all collaborate on a big fan project somehow to celebrate and pay tribute. Fans could submit short essays (video or written) talking about what Trent's work means to them and we could compile it all together somehow. Have our own little induction ceremony, lol. I think it could be a lot of fun. For all the whining we do, I think as a whole we are pretty grateful for his work, and I like hearing fans talk about how the music has impacted them personally.

BRoswell
05-24-2019, 09:35 AM
I was just thinking about how if NIN gets inducted into the RHOF eventually we should all collaborate on a big fan project somehow to celebrate and pay tribute. Fans could submit short essays (video or written) talking about what Trent's work means to them and we could compile it all together somehow. Have our own little induction ceremony, lol. I think it could be a lot of fun. For all the whining we do, I think as a whole we are pretty grateful for his work, and I like hearing fans talk about how the music has impacted them personally.

Hell, why wait until then? We could start on that now.

Halo Infinity
05-24-2019, 04:17 PM
It would also be perfect timing for Pretty Hate Machine's 30th anniversary.

I also never thought I'd say this, but it's hard for me to find the words sometimes. (I guess that's from also spilling my guts on NIN on ETS for so long.) Nine Inch Nails being music and entertainment is obviously a given, but it has also been a source of comfort and therapy for me. It speaks what I can not or even dare not say and just captures what I think, feel and how I sometimes look at life. I also like how I can get different visuals from both opposite extremes from the urban to rural environments or even the futuristic and the primitive settings you see in fiction. It has also been among some of the several reasons why Trent Reznor's music also worked so well for films, especially with his previous experience to tying in music an film with his videos. It's also as if his music is like a friend that's out to edify me and reassure me in all of it's power.

But aside from all that, Trent Reznor has truly been one of the best blessings (A godsend too, if you will.) I've ever known of in this life, ever. I'm happy for him, his accomplishments as well as his achievements in his personal endeavors, and these reasons are why I'm still happy to follow and support/promote him.

Toadflax
05-24-2019, 06:09 PM
My friends two year-old daughter looked at my "The Fragile" bracelet the other day.

HER: What's that?
ME: It's my favorite Nine Inch Nails album; what's yours?
HER (thinking I'm talking about bracelets): The pretty one.
ME & HER DAD: Pretty Hate Machine?!
HER: Yeah, but it broke.
ME & HER DAD: Broken???!!!
HER: Yeah, but Mom says she can fix it.
ME & HER DAD: WHAT IS HAPPENING

eachpassingphase
05-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Hell, why wait until then? We could start on that now.

Yeah, you've got the gears in my head turning now. Halo Infinity brought up a good point about the anniversary. Hmmmm. Lemme think on this for a few days, because I really do think it would be something fun for the fanbase to do post-tour.

allegro
05-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Details? Photos? I'm curious now because I mostly sat the With Teeth era out (in favor of alot of underground rap (Aesop Rock, atmosphere, el-p, ect))

Sorry, just saw this. No, nobody was taking any photos, people were just standing around (the Metro is two levels) drinking and ... listening to an album. I seemed to remember a video playing at some point, and there was some free swag.

Scroll to the middle of this page (to Monday 3/28/05): http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/backissue.php?y=05&m=3

eversonpoe
05-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Sorry, just saw this. No, nobody was taking any photos, people were just standing around (the Metro is two levels) drinking and ... listening to an album. I seemed to remember a video playing at some point, and there was some free swag.

Scroll to the middle of this page (to Monday 3/28/05): http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/backissue.php?y=05&m=3
SM Rollinger

they played what is basically the "Collected" DVD before playing with teeth, they were giving out free 7" singles of THTF (right? or was it the 10" picture discs? i honestly can't remember).

what i most remember is that it was POURING out before we got to go in and because i got drenched, a bunch of paint from the wall i was leaning against at the back of the venue rubbed off on to my pants/belt and forever discolored them a weird blue.

it was a weird but fun experience going to a venue to get an early listen to an album with a bunch of strangers; overall i enjoyed it.

Bachy
05-27-2019, 12:11 AM
For no reason other than my gut, I feel we get something NIN related by the end of this year. Maybe an EP? Live DVD/BluRay? Etc.

Halo Infinity
05-27-2019, 10:50 AM
It would certainly be quite the surprise if it actually turned out to be Pretty Hate Machine-related, especially with accompanying DVDs/BDs.

BRoswell
05-27-2019, 12:03 PM
It would be nice to get something, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. This seems to be a busy year for Trent & Atticus in terms of non-NIN work.

allegro
05-27-2019, 12:27 PM
SM Rollinger

they played what is basically the "Collected" DVD before playing with teeth, they were giving out free 7" singles of THTF (right? or was it the 10" picture discs? i honestly can't remember).
I thought there were some stickers or something?

Edit: Per the Hotline on 3/28/05: “The free gifts were a small With Teeth poster, postcards and bumper stickers.”

(Chicago was 3/30/05)

A picture of the 7” THTF / Home is on the NIN Hotline with this note on 3/31/05:

“Although most of the listening parties did not have the 7" vinyl readily available due to a manufacturing error, the party at San Francisco did. Featuring The Hand That Feeds on the A-side, and non-album track Home on the B-side, these undoubtedly going to be hot items to have. Here is the only picture we have of one. So far. Thanks to Cyndy for that!”

http://theninhotline.net/archives/news.images/thtf_seveninch.jpg

The most fun part of the With Teeth era, IMO (besides the club tour), was the web cams during recording.

This site has archives. (https://www.pondbrain.com/thf/webcamarchives/nin/firstimages.htm)

d1stinct
05-28-2019, 04:01 PM
This should get some facepalms, but it comes from the fact the Trent sometimes has a weird sense of humor, but I think he should post the "Old Town Road" video on NIN.com.

Ok, maybe not nin.com, but maybe his Instagram or some other less meaningful social media place.

Kulerage
05-28-2019, 05:28 PM
This should get some facepalms, but it comes from the fact the Trent sometimes has a weird sense of humor, but I think he should post the "Old Town Road" video on NIN.com.

Ok, maybe not nin.com, but maybe his Instagram or some other less meaningful social media place.

That reminds me, has Trent, or even Atticus commented on Old Town Road yet?

fillow
05-28-2019, 06:24 PM
That reminds me, has Trent, or even Atticus commented on Old Town Road yet?

Yeah, Trent said:

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. I felt like I just lost my girlfriend, because that song (34 Ghosts IV) isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. Somehow that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning – different, but every bit as pure.

Erneuert
05-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Yeah, Trent said:

Very well said by Trent. I agree, it’s very moving.

katara
05-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Yeah, Trent said:

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. I felt like I just lost my girlfriend, because that song (34 Ghosts IV) isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. Somehow that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning – different, but every bit as pure.
It's funny, because I seem to remember him saying this exact same thing when Limp Bizkit riffed on Closer.

StockAvuryah
05-29-2019, 09:11 AM
Trent really upped his vocal harmony game on Bad Witch. It’s everywhere, clean, distorted, used as noise..

botley
05-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Trent really upped his vocal harmony game on Bad Witch. It’s everywhere, clean, distorted, used as noise..

He even got Ian Astbury in on the fun!

Demogorgon
05-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Yeaaaahhhhhh, about that. I think there was a healthy level of sarcasm from Trent there that went over a lot of heads.

eversonpoe
05-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Yeaaaahhhhhh, about that. I think there was a healthy level of sarcasm from Trent there that went over a lot of heads.

it's a quote about johnny cash covering hurt that fillow took and edited to make it seem like it was about old town road.

https://media.giphy.com/media/u52gRNybAmAy4/giphy.gif

:p

Demogorgon
05-29-2019, 09:12 PM
D'oh!

You got me.

wizfan
05-30-2019, 05:57 AM
Add Violence is my personal favorite out of "Them Three", as I call them. A long time passed without me listening to NIN at all, but one listen to "The Lovers" and... whoa. I'm there again. The guitars. The choppy synths. The atmosphere. Like JJJ's son told Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2, "I'm back on the moon". It feels like going back home after a very stressful day. I'm back to the wonderful, magical, grotesque, dark™, endlessly manipulated yet still "human" and "analog"-feeling realm of TR and AR.

And I'll say it again: "Less Than" is one of NIN's greatest singles, ever.

Indefinite_Cure
06-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Let me get this straight...

A sample of an instrumental song from an experimental double LP Trent put out in 2008 has gone straight to number one worldwide as a country-hip hop number.

...AND

A spoof cover of Head Like a Hole with a fake artist name by Myley Cyrus changing all the lyrics is now trending and will probably chart very high too...

In the same year?

What the actual fuck?

kel
06-15-2019, 11:07 AM

A sample of an instrumental song from an experimental double LP Trent put out in 2008 has gone straight to number one worldwide as a country-hip hop number.

...AND

A spoof cover of Head Like a Hole with a fake artist name by Myley Cyrus changing all the lyrics is now trending and will probably chart very high too...

In the same year?

What the actual fuck?
it’s fantastic. embrace it.

theimage13
06-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Just once, I want to see NIN play the original album version of Closer live. I know it was done to death prior to ~05-06. But I don't think it's been done once since - and I never got to see them prior to that. Don't get me wrong, the version they've been doing is great. I just....man, the original breakdown is so fucking good. I want to see that live.

Alas, I know it'll never happen.

Max
06-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Just once, I want to see NIN play the original album version of Closer live. I know it was done to death prior to ~05-06. But I don't think it's been done once since - and I never got to see them prior to that. Don't get me wrong, the version they've been doing is great. I just....man, the original breakdown is so fucking good. I want to see that live.

I am actually all about this post. The original is so perfect.

Kulerage
06-16-2019, 02:59 PM

...AND

In the same year?

What the actual fuck?
This has been an unlikely amazing year for NIN.

katara
06-16-2019, 03:02 PM
I wonder if some unused songs from The Downward Spiral were re-appropriated for Antichrist Superstar in the same way that some of the Lost Fragile tracks became Niggy Tardust. Some of that album sounds almost identical to TDS, albeit with different vocals.

Dr. Middy
06-17-2019, 10:41 PM

Agreed. I would love to hear the original breakdown again. It's one of the main reasons it's in my top 10.

It's possible though, look at all of the stuff he's busting out now. Never thought we'd hear Happiness is Slavery yet we got a kickass version of it.

sweeterthan
06-20-2019, 07:10 AM
Reznor liked a tweet about yoga on Twitter and now I'm wondering if he can do a chin stand. Namaste Trent!

Max
06-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Okay I think I have heard all I can take about Old Town Road and Miley Cyrus. Nothing against either, but I could really use some more actual NIN discussion. I know there isn't any news right now, and maybe that's a good thing - keep us wanting more, etc. - but i look forward to hearing more about what people are mining from the recent Trilogy or anything else that isn't pop culture.

Get off my lawn!

snichols
06-20-2019, 01:45 PM
I second that!

NotinCnStopMeNow
06-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Head Like A Hole (Opal) is the best mix of the song.

botley
06-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Head Like A Hole (Opal) is the best mix of the song.
Incorrect, it's this (http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/4428136/file.html) (the Carly Rae mashup) — and I'm 90% sure that's where Black Mirror's writers got the idea for Ashley O.

Krazy
06-22-2019, 12:25 AM
Ghosts 12 should’ve somehow, someway been incorporated into and played live during the LITS tour. One of the better songs off Ghosts and could’ve fit into it so many different ways.

sheepdean
06-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Ghosts 12 should’ve somehow, someway been incorporated into and played live during the LITS tour. One of the better songs off Ghosts and could’ve fit into it so many different ways.

I'm still salty the album hasn't had a track played in Europe yet. But yes, 12 Ghosts is the fucking bomb and could work so well as an alternative to Pinion for an opener

BRoswell
06-22-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm still salty the album hasn't had a track played since 2014.

Fixed.

Deacon Blackfire
06-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Okay I think I have heard all I can take about Old Town Road and Miley Cyrus.

I feel this!

I'm glad to see NIN get some exposure, sure, but after the whole Trilogy release cycle and its pervading aura of "we're not worried what people think, this is what we're excited about and that's what we're doing", all the "limited official collaborative T-shirt" kind of stuff we've been seeing from the NIN camp lately feels distressingly like a back-step towards Hesitation Marks' era of worrying too much about general relevance and putting an emphasis on reaching a wider audience (which I think the move to Columbia Records at that period neatly exemplified). Which isn't to say I have anything against NIN being featured in Captain Marvel or Old Town Road or Black Mirror (I thought Miley's covers were dreadful but you know, different strokes), just that I think it seems to be making a lot out of a little.

We've been NIN spoiled the past couple years and I don't expect crazy activity constantly but to me the Bird Box soundtrack is way more exciting than any of this stuff because it's actual content.

EDIT: I did love Strobe Light though!

SM Rollinger
06-22-2019, 11:58 PM
It's just annoying because I'll get people asking me if I think it's cool because they know NIN is my favorite band and I don't give a shit about rap or pop music or the MCU.

sheepdean
06-23-2019, 02:08 PM
NIN is my favorite band

I don't give a shit about pop music

Um
Do you know how much pop NIN has made?

SM Rollinger
06-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Um
Do you know how much pop NIN has made?

Ok fine they have made somr pop-esque songs, I'll give you that.

Like Copy of A makes me wanna dance, in a weird and awkward sorta way.

chuckrh
06-23-2019, 04:32 PM
how's this for an "attitude adjusted" concept: Trent & Atticus under pseudonyms become svengali pop producers & subvert the whole fucking thing. I'm pretty sure Miley would be game & there's a couple of others that have that potential. Seriously, I would like to hear a studio record with last year's touring band all involved in a capacity larger than a cameo appearance. Man(woman) for man, I don't think there are any bands out there that can touch that lineup. It would be interesting to hear what came of it.

Kulerage
06-23-2019, 04:39 PM
12 Ghosts is one of the coolest songs from Ghosts, and I definitely agree that it could be used in some interesting ways live

sheepdean
06-23-2019, 06:28 PM
how's this for an "attitude adjusted" concept: Trent & Atticus under pseudonyms become svengali pop producers & subvert the whole fucking thing. I'm pretty sure Miley would be game & there's a couple of others that have that potential. Seriously, I would like to hear a studio record with last year's touring band all involved in a capacity larger than a cameo appearance. Man(woman) for man, I don't think there are any bands out there that can touch that lineup. It would be interesting to hear what came of it.
I'm 100% here for that, not just Miley but go for a tonne of artists, Calvin Harris/Mark Ronson style - but you forget that Atticus HAS worked in pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU)

chuckrh
06-23-2019, 07:56 PM
I'm 100% here for that, not just Miley but go for a tonne of artists, Calvin Harris/Mark Ronson style - but you forget that Atticus HAS worked in pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU)

i wasn't aware of the Pink song. i like her, too. the lady can sing!

Demogorgon
06-23-2019, 08:17 PM
If it's real songs and not glorified parodies, i could go for that. The Black Mirror tracks do nothing for me. I'd enjoy them a lot more with all of the correct, original lyrics.

Wretchedest
06-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Why in fuck did they cut the key oard riff from Kinda I want to? The demo is so much better, it's maddening

Erneuert
06-24-2019, 12:00 AM
i wasn't aware of the Pink song. i like her, too. the lady can sing!

With an awesome personality to boot.

katara
06-27-2019, 04:03 AM
Dead Souls is so different from everything else in NIN's discography, yet it fits perfectly alongside the songs on The Crow soundtrack. I almost wonder if TR was commissioned to produce it the way he did.

Erneuert
06-27-2019, 04:31 AM
Never seen a better looking NIN release in my life:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-Nine-Inch-Nails-Fragile-Sydney-Promo/372691275196?hash=item56c6218dbc:g:NtAAAOSwFjNZfoy e

Hyperpower
06-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Never seen a better looking NIN release in my life:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-Nine-Inch-Nails-Fragile-Sydney-Promo/372691275196?hash=item56c6218dbc:g:NtAAAOSwFjNZfoy e

this is why i wish TR would do the thing Peral Jam does with their shows by selling bootlegs themselves.
i understand why he may not want to...but then this is the other side of that... :(

ryanmcfly
06-27-2019, 12:32 PM
this is why i wish TR would do the thing Peral Jam does with their shows by selling bootlegs themselves.
i understand why he may not want to...but then this is the other side of that... :(

Agreed. Metallica does it also. I would gladly pay 8-12 dollars for a soundboard recording of the shows i went to.

nmitchell86
06-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Agreed. Metallica does it also. I would gladly pay 8-12 dollars for a soundboard recording of the shows i went to.

I agree, I love having recording of shows I've been to. I'd gladly pay for soundboard and or a CD but at least we have Ryan and the archive.

piggy
06-27-2019, 11:36 PM
Dead Souls is so different from everything else in NIN's discography, yet it fits perfectly alongside the songs on The Crow soundtrack. I almost wonder if TR was commissioned to produce it the way he did.Yes, there is something special about the vibe of that track. I was OBSESSED with that soundtrack when it came out, and one of the main reasons was how cohesive it is and how much the songs are kind of friends with each other.

chuckrh
06-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Yes, there is something special about the vibe of that track. I was OBSESSED with that soundtrack when it came out, and one of the main reasons was how cohesive it is and how much the songs are kind of friends with each other.

"Burn" is 1 of my favorite Cure songs.

piggy
06-28-2019, 11:21 PM
"Burn" is 1 of my favorite Cure songs.
It is my ABSOLUTE favorite Cure song!

chuckrh
06-29-2019, 03:57 AM
It is my ABSOLUTE favorite Cure song!

I saw them do it twice in 2016 & it was phenomenal. Listening to tapes from this year & it just keeps getting better. Reeves Gabrels has been absolutely blazing on it. Funny, a lot of the hard core Cure heads don't care for it. Not really sure why. No accounting for taste!

HWB
06-29-2019, 05:28 AM
Still blown away how good The Slip is. Really loud and angry, noisy, heavy and raw. I always found it fascinating how it's basically the exact opposite of Hesitation Marks

chuckrh
06-29-2019, 05:32 AM
Still blown away how good The Slip is. Really loud and angry, noisy, heavy and raw. I always found it fascinating how it's basically the exact opposite of Hesitation Marks

a big part of why i like NIN/Trent so much is that he isn't afraid to go where his muse takes him regardless of the commercial ramifications. much like another hero of mine (& Trent) David Bowie.

elevenism
06-29-2019, 10:04 AM
a big part of why i like NIN/Trent so much is that he isn't afraid to go where his muse takes him regardless of the commercial ramifications. much like another hero of mine (& Trent) David Bowie.

See, I think he IS afraid. Bowie did WHATEVER the fuck he wanted, constantly changing genres. I feel like Trent kind of tested the waters, with HM, and, particularly, Everything, and he felt the backlash and didn't like it.

And I think that might be a BIT of what led to the "return to form" of NTAE. Don't get me wrong: I fucking LOVED the trilogy.

But, I can't help thinking that the man feels pigeonholed.

HWB
06-30-2019, 03:45 AM
See, I think he IS afraid. Bowie did WHATEVER the fuck he wanted, constantly changing genres. I feel like Trent kind of tested the waters, with HM, and, particularly, Everything, and he felt the backlash and didn't like it.

And I think that might be a BIT of what led to the "return to form" of NTAE. Don't get me wrong: I fucking LOVED the trilogy.

I can't quite agree with this seeing how Bad Witch and Ghosts exist.

elevenism
06-30-2019, 04:44 AM
I can't quite agree with this seeing how Bad Witch and Ghosts exist.while Bad Witch is different in areas, I feel like it's still in the same vein, if you will.

katara
06-30-2019, 11:17 AM
I felt that much of the Trilogy, especially NTAE, was in a way, a kind of resignation to the fact that he has to go back to old versions of himself in order to satisfy the fans. Take The Lovers, which came from a place he never wanted to revisit. He doesn't even perform most of the song live at all; it's just pre-recorded.

The first verse of Burning Bright exemplifies this.

I'm going back
Of course I am
As if I ever had a choice
Back to what I always knew I was
On the inside
Back to what I really am
Look at this pathetic place I made
With little bits of sticks and hair
And anything I found along the way

There's clearly more going on here than just that. This is just one interpretation.

BRoswell
06-30-2019, 02:20 PM
I felt that much of the Trilogy, especially NTAE, was in a way, a kind of resignation to the fact that he has to go back to old versions of himself in order to satisfy the fans.

Personally, I don't think it's a resignation at all. If anything, I think the trilogy represents Trent & Atticus embracing the past and using it in a way that's different from previous albums. It's the idea that, in order to know where you're going, you have to know where you've been. I don't see the trilogy as some exasperated sigh that's about giving the fans what they want. It's too complex and strange for that, especially Bad Witch. I think it's about sorting through the past and seeing what you dig up that you may have forgotten. Trent mentioned in a few interviews how they used some guitars and other items that hadn't been used in a while, and how he brought back the saxophone that had been collecting dust up to that point just on a whim. I'm sure it took some courage to use those instruments again and to use previous material as a reference point without feeling like they were just repeating what had already been done.

The first verse of Burning Bright exemplifies this.

I think it's more an expression of his fear of going back to who he was, and how others feel he HAS to go back to being some sort of death rocker (i.e. "Nine Inch Nails was so much better when Trent was on drugs.") in order to create anything of worth again. I'm sure that sort of thing weighs heavy on his mind at times. But yeah, I don't really see it as an admission of giving in to that pressure.

elevenism
06-30-2019, 02:47 PM
... others feel he HAS to go back to being some sort of death rocker (i.e. "Nine Inch Nails was so much better when Trent was on drugs.") in order to create anything of worth again. I'm sure that sort of thing weighs heavy on his mind at times. But yeah, I don't really see it as an admission of giving in to that pressure.

And, i'm not saying that this whole thing was an "exasperated sigh," as you said, but, like you also said, "i'm sure that sort of thing weighs heavy on his mind at times."

That's more along the lines of what i was saying. I DO think he might feel as though he has to, at times, take care not to "color too far outside the lines."

I don't think it means that the trilogy is, like, phony, or anything like that.

But the vitriol from Everything HAD to hurt a bit- i WILL say that much.

Deacon Blackfire
06-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Fearfulness didn't lead him to backing away from the direction Hesitation Marks took - in my opinion, fear led to the direction Hesitation Marks took in the first place, fear of being trapped in an echo-chamber and not being able to reach an audience outside of his established cult. A lot of the moves made in that period (signing with Columbia, performing on Jimmy Kimmel, the Blu-Ray that never materialized) speak to someone trying to break out and achieve a visibility he felt he was lacking at that stage in his career. Even if you want to argue that Everything as a song was a bold "this is something really different" creative statement, the fact he backed off of that song so quickly and never even played it live (we know for sure it was rehearsed) betrays the fearfulness, the concern with perception, that defined that period. He believed in Hesitation Marks creatively, sure, but there was a real hunger there to be recognized and relevant in a mainstream sense again.

Compare that to the Trilogy era. One low key music video but overall almost no press or major push for the releases to be noticed. The major tour that closed the cycle was a diehard affair, with more deep cuts and rarities and premieres than we could believe. As opposed to trying to reach beyond his established audience, as he did with Hesitation Marks, he seemed to realize that thinking too much about what people would respond to was diluting his artistic output and went the opposite direction, full "this is what I'm excited about and I really don't give a shit what people think." And yes, it is what he and Atticus thought was interesting, not what they thought his fanbase would eat up the most (I don't know how you could listen to Bad Witch and think it was curated by design to appeal to the fans).

Hesitation Marks saw him depressed at having limits to his audience. The Trilogy cycle saw him not pandering to his loyal following, but appreciating it and the security it affords him and Atticus, to worry first and foremost about the creative and not the commercial. Cold And Black And Infinite made that gratitude abundantly clear.

elevenism
06-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Ah. Deacon Blackfire , this is a very interesting counterargument.

Kulerage
06-30-2019, 07:48 PM
It was today when I found out there's a marimba part in "Discipline".

Max
07-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Fearfulness didn't lead him to backing away from the direction Hesitation Marks took - in my opinion, fear led to the direction Hesitation Marks took in the first place, fear of being trapped in an echo-chamber and not being able to reach an audience outside of his established cult. A lot of the moves made in that period (signing with Columbia, performing on Jimmy Kimmel, the Blu-Ray that never materialized) speak to someone trying to break out and achieve a visibility he felt he was lacking at that stage in his career. Even if you want to argue that Everything as a song was a bold "this is something really different" creative statement, the fact he backed off of that song so quickly and never even played it live (we know for sure it was rehearsed) betrays the fearfulness, the concern with perception, that defined that period. He believed in Hesitation Marks creatively, sure, but there was a real hunger there to be recognized and relevant in a mainstream sense again.

Compare that to the Trilogy era. One low key music video but overall almost no press or major push for the releases to be noticed. The major tour that closed the cycle was a diehard affair, with more deep cuts and rarities and premieres than we could believe. As opposed to trying to reach beyond his established audience, as he did with Hesitation Marks, he seemed to realize that thinking too much about what people would respond to was diluting his artistic output and went the opposite direction, full "this is what I'm excited about and I really don't give a shit what people think." And yes, it is what he and Atticus thought was interesting, not what they thought his fanbase would eat up the most (I don't know how you could listen to Bad Witch and think it was curated by design to appeal to the fans).

Hesitation Marks saw him depressed at having limits to his audience. The Trilogy cycle saw him not pandering to his loyal following, but appreciating it and the security it affords him and Atticus, to worry first and foremost about the creative and not the commercial. Cold And Black And Infinite made that gratitude abundantly clear.

I can see how a person might come to these conclusions but i actually think he was coming from the exact OPPOSITE place. It wasn't out of fear that he made Hesitation Marks. It wasn't out of an attempt to be more relevant to pop culture or anything else so contrived. I think it was him actually saying, "I don't need to prove to anyone how I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I stayed away from Jimmy Kimmel because what would the fans think? But let's try that. Let's make a track like Everything that references some of the musical influences that got me into this in the first place. Let's look back on who i used to be and not worry so much about being self-referential and punished for looking in the rear-view.

I think Hesitation Marks was perhaps his MOST courageous album in the sense that it was one of the most vulnerable. He wasn't armored up for it. He wasn't posturing or proving anything to anyone. He was content and secure in who he was and courageous enough to share that. That takes a lot of courage.

There is an alternate timeline that we will never know, where Trump never got elected, where things weren't going completely bananas everyday, where Trent Reznor might have actually continued down the HM path. We can only imagine what that would have looked like. Instead the fresh Hell that greets us each morning is having an affect on him like the rest of us. So Bad Witch it is.

That's my take.

Deacon Blackfire
07-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Very interesting rebuttal!

I suppose all this makes it seem like I dislike Hesitation Marks or view as some kind of "sell-out" album, which is definitely not the case. It is (at least right now) probably my least favorite NIN record and I don't think it has aged particularly well but I still like it quite a bit (In Two, for example, is a terrific song) and I certainly think it is fascinating. But part of why it's so fascinating is that its gestation as an album was so...odd. I feel it is informative to refresh ourselves on how that album began. Because it began with Trent still having to fulfill a Greatest Hits release for Interscope, one he was contracted to produce a couple new songs for, and those songs were Everything and Satellite, the first songs he recorded for Hesitation Marks.

In this context, Everything makes so much more sense. Trent had to record two new songs for his old label and was like, fuck it, I'm going to make something I would normally never release, the opposite of whatever they're expecting. To me, in the beginning, it seemed like Everything was borne out of his legendary trolling instincts, but he was so close to it (and Satellite) that they grew on him in a legitimate sense and he ended up wanting a "real" home for them. So in a sense, I think you're right that Hesitation Marks as an album definitely shows some bravery (I definitely don't think its him at his most naked and vulnerable but it is an honest record). I just don't think the reasons for that bravery are particularly engaging on a personal or artistic level.

But while the album itself may have had legitimate artistic depth, it's still undeniable to me that this was a period where Trent was really hungry to be noticed artistically, in a way that reached beyond his following. That was what signing to Columbia was all about. Trent said it himself, he was tired of trying to figure out how to get his music out there and reach the audiences he felt he was hidden from, so he signed to a label (with wisely cautious 1 album deal) and hoped they could provide him the platforms that would widen his viewership. And they did open up media spotlights for him - the Kimmel appearance, an article in the New York Times Arts & Leisure section (if I recall correctly), the Grammys performance (the fact HM was nominated probably had something to do with major label clout too) - but those spotlights never helped that album or NIN pop or get noticed to the degree he wanted. In fact, some of those windows (the Grammys performance specifically) ended up being frustrating disappointments.

So I guess I should say, he didn't write Hesitation Marks to "go mainstream" but he really wanted to get back there and I'm happy to see him appreciating the benefits and upsides of his diehard following now. I wouldn't be surprised if the nauseating place broader popular culture - really American culture in general - has reached has played some role in diminishing the value he places on that kind of fame. Speaking of which...

In regard to the alternate no-President-Trump timeline (please take me there), it's important to remember that Trump was elected in November and Not The Actual Events came out in late December, which means that a good portion of it, if not MOST of it, was done before the horrific results of that election. While I'm sure that the horrible atmosphere of the whole election cycle affected that record, with or without Trump, I think Not The Actual Events represents the sonic and thematic step he would have taken next regardless. But I completely agree that our collective national-worldwide nightmare has had a profound effect on the content of the Trilogy, thematically at the very least, and is the major reason why the Trilogy feels like such a fierce, nihilistic rebuttal to Hesitation Marks.

Max
07-02-2019, 05:08 AM
Very interesting rebuttal!

I suppose all this makes it seem like I dislike Hesitation Marks or view as some kind of "sell-out" album, which is definitely not the case. It is (at least right now) probably my least favorite NIN record and I don't think it has aged particularly well but I still like it quite a bit (In Two, for example, is a terrific song) and I certainly think it is fascinating. But part of why it's so fascinating is that its gestation as an album was so...odd. I feel it is informative to refresh ourselves on how that album began. Because it began with Trent still having to fulfill a Greatest Hits release for Interscope, one he was contracted to produce a couple new songs for, and those songs were Everything and Satellite, the first songs he recorded for Hesitation Marks.

In this context, Everything makes so much more sense. Trent had to record two new songs for his old label and was like, fuck it, I'm going to make something I would normally never release, the opposite of whatever they're expecting. To me, in the beginning, it seemed like Everything was borne out of his legendary trolling instincts, but he was so close to it (and Satellite) that they grew on him in a legitimate sense and he ended up wanting a "real" home for them. So in a sense, I think you're right that Hesitation Marks as an album definitely shows some bravery (I definitely don't think its him at his most naked and vulnerable but it is an honest record). I just don't think the reasons for that bravery are particularly engaging on a personal or artistic level.

But while the album itself may have had legitimate artistic depth, it's still undeniable to me that this was a period where Trent was really hungry to be noticed artistically, in a way that reached beyond his following. That was what signing to Columbia was all about. Trent said it himself, he was tired of trying to figure out how to get his music out there and reach the audiences he felt he was hidden from, so he signed to a label (with wisely cautious 1 album deal) and hoped they could provide him the platforms that would widen his viewership. And they did open up media spotlights for him - the Kimmel appearance, an article in the New York Times Arts & Leisure section (if I recall correctly), the Grammys performance (the fact HM was nominated probably had something to do with major label clout too) - but those spotlights never helped that album or NIN pop or get noticed to the degree he wanted. In fact, some of those windows (the Grammys performance specifically) ended up being frustrating disappointments.

So I guess I should say, he didn't write Hesitation Marks to "go mainstream" but he really wanted to get back there and I'm happy to see him appreciating the benefits and upsides of his diehard following now. I wouldn't be surprised if the nauseating place broader popular culture - really American culture in general - has reached has played some role in diminishing the value he places on that kind of fame. Speaking of which...

In regard to the alternate no-President-Trump timeline (please take me there), it's important to remember that Trump was elected in November and Not The Actual Events came out in late December, which means that a good portion of it, if not MOST of it, was done before the horrific results of that election. While I'm sure that the horrible atmosphere of the whole election cycle affected that record, with or without Trump, I think Not The Actual Events represents the sonic and thematic step he would have taken next regardless. But I completely agree that our collective national-worldwide nightmare has had a profound effect on the content of the Trilogy, thematically at the very least, and is the major reason why the Trilogy feels like such a fierce, nihilistic rebuttal to Hesitation Marks.

yeah and I think that is why HM feels like it hasn’t aged well because our world hasn’t aged well. Things have gotten more dark and desperate and we are all pissed about it and HM just doesn’t make much sense amindat all this right now but if things ever settle down and we feel more secure and able to put our guard down, I think HM might speak to us and maybe even him again. When he said he doesn’t even know who that guy is anymore, I think that’s a big part of it. And I can relate. It’s hard to be naked and vulnerable when you are fighting for survival.

laci
07-02-2019, 07:03 AM
Ok, I love Miley's live cover of HLAH. I started to listening to live HLAH tracks by NIN. Which version do you prefer?
My fav. is the BYIT version, but recommend me your favourites, please.

eversonpoe
07-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Ok, I love Miley's live cover of HLAH. I started to listening to live HLAH tracks by NIN. Which version do you prefer?

nothing really beats the studio version for me (album mix, though some of the others are fun), but the one on AATCHB is pretty fucking great. my biggest issue is that the song works better as an opener than a closer, and i wish they would stop playing it at the end of shows.

MrLobster
07-02-2019, 07:53 PM
nothing really beats the studio version for me (album mix, though some of the others are fun), but the one on AATCHB is pretty fucking great. my biggest issue is that the song works better as an opener than a closer, and i wish they would stop playing it at the end of shows.

While I agree it is a good opener, even by Woodstock '94 he was using it at the end.

Which AATCHB version? The DVD or the CD?

Deacon Blackfire
07-02-2019, 09:56 PM
They opened Voodoo Festival 2005 with Head Like A Hole but anything like that has been pretty rare.

The And All That Could Have Been version is probably my favorite - it sounds great with any lineup but 2005-onwards has seen Trent pretty much never sing the main chorus, just play guitar while the band sings it, and I've always wanted to see a performance where he actually sang that part again.

chuckrh
07-03-2019, 02:16 AM

i do too! what she did at glastonbury was awesome. when she changed it to a straight cover halfway through (with costume change haha) it was great & worked very well. & her band was up to playing it. i'm sure she has really good musicians in the band. she's an interesting artist & has definitely got away from disney (rare). that album she did with flaming lips has some fantastic stuff although it could've used a little editting. love the song "karen don't be sad". she's got a great voice. will be interesting to watch her career in the future.

botley
07-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Further to eversonpoe 's point here is a barnstorming 2005 version as the opening track of their Voodoo festival set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAHwQT8h8Y

eversonpoe
07-03-2019, 08:31 PM
While I agree it is a good opener, even by Woodstock '94 he was using it at the end.

Which AATCHB version? The DVD or the CD?

DVD! can't stand listening to the CD version of AATCHB (i've moaned about this previously).

Halo Infinity
07-04-2019, 09:23 AM
This has always occurred to me as well, especially as it's also the very first song from the debut and one of the very first hits/videos, which is why it left me wanting more, or wondering if there was more on the set-list even if I was also very much well aware of the fact. The sound also speaks for itself, since it just gets you pumped up only to leave.

I also seem to side with the studio version, but some of my favorite HALH live gigs, aside from the BYIT and ATTCHB versions would also have to be Lollapalooza 1991, Woodstock 1994, Newark, New Jersey [12_09_89] and Dallas, Texas [06_26_90].

Even though this was from a result of messing up, I actually enjoyed "Something's gonna get broken!" AKA Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [05_19_05] from time to time, and still do, since I loved the audience's reaction with/by them singing along to the song as Trent tried to get it back together again.

chuckrh
07-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Trent is the best front man out there still putting out vital, necessary new music. Watching an audience vid from DC last year. It's just stunning.

HWB
07-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Earlier in the thread some people mentioned as Hesitation Marks being the most daring album, I actually think Year Zero may be the most daring album in many ways, even when we just talk purely music wise.

SM Rollinger
07-06-2019, 06:57 PM
All the NIN albums are daring in my opinion.

HWB
07-06-2019, 07:21 PM
All the NIN albums are daring in my opinion.
Absolutely.

theimage13
07-08-2019, 05:28 AM
Somehow, I've never really had a chance to sit down and listen to Add Violence on proper gear. Chalk it up to my schedule since it's been released. Well, I finally did, and fuck me - I am loving the guitar layering on the final breakdown in Less Than. One layer is reminiscent of HDTA (the sliding guitar from The Space In Between), the other calls to heavier NIN tracks. So fucking good.

Magnetic
07-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Add Violence is my favorite of the trilogy. Bad Witch still eludes me, aside from INFTW. I've tried quite a few times.

HWB
07-08-2019, 04:37 PM
I keep hearing new sounds in Hesitation Marks like years later and each time it creeps me the fuck out.

Just how much underneath is on this fucking record.

SM Rollinger
07-08-2019, 04:45 PM
I keep hearing new sounds in The Downward Spiral like years later and each time it creeps me the fuck out.

Just how much underneath is on this fucking record.

Fixed that for you

HWB
07-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Fixed that for you
I got you a better one.

I keep hearing new sounds in pretty much any NIN album, when you think about it, expect maybe the slip, not meaning to diss the slip but you know like years later and each time it creeps me the fuck out.

Just how much underneath is on these fucking records.

Reaps
07-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Less Than is the most euphoric/intense single NIN has ever put out. I never tire of it.

Failure
07-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Less Than is the most euphoric/intense single NIN has ever put out. I never tire of it.

Less Than is a criminally underrated tune. It always makes me think of Webster Hall 2017 (secret show). The song sounded so fresh and vital that night; and the feeling has yet to dissipate. It still baffles me how much praise Bad Witch gets compared to Add Violence. The latter has such sharp focus and the melodies put into elite NIN territory. The former is a nice, experimental piece of work to be sure....but just missing something comparatively speaking.

diptych
07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
I forgot how much I liked the 2006 radio shows with Peter Murphy. Thanks, ninlive for hosting those!

Kulerage
07-12-2019, 10:57 PM
I keep hearing new sounds in pretty much any NIN album, when you think about it, expect maybe the slip, not meaning to diss the slip but you know like years later and each time it creeps me the fuck out.

Just how much underneath is on these fucking records.

Even The Slip is more layered than you think. Download the multi tracks for it and you'll see.

theimage13
07-13-2019, 08:54 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJXAt4wBJyZ/?utm_source=ig_embed

When I saw this photo, literally the only thing I could think of was NIN.

I think my brain is Broken.

theimage13
07-13-2019, 08:56 AM

I think I'd give that title to WITT, but that doesn't diminish my love for this track.

WorzelG
07-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Am I going mad? I had an idea TR had tweeted something like ‘Lots coming in 2019’? But I can’t find it now

StockAvuryah
07-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Am I going mad? I had an idea TR had tweeted something like ‘Lots coming in 2019’? But I can’t find it now

It was on nin.com only, right ? http://www.nin.com/bird-box-score-available-now/

Erneuert
07-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Anyone else crossing their fingers that the next live NIN show opens up with a
mashup of Pinion with Old Town Road?

diptych
07-14-2019, 09:21 AM
The riff in "One Way to Get Here" (Fragile Deviations) is remarkably similar to the bassline in The Good Soldier. Probably been noticed before, but I've been away a while. Forgive me.

WorzelG
07-14-2019, 10:53 AM
It was on nin.com only, right ? http://www.nin.com/bird-box-score-available-now/
So I wasn’t going mad, just forgot the source. I hope it still stands though

Kulerage
07-14-2019, 12:56 PM
The riff in "One Way to Get Here" (Fragile Deviations) is remarkably similar to the bassline in The Good Soldier. Probably been noticed before, but I've been away a while. Forgive me.
They're both fairly simple melodies used in drastically different manners. I can hear it though.

katara
07-14-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping for The Fragile deluxe to actually happen. 21st of September, anyone?

We're over halfway through the year and so far nothing's happened. I'm convinced that we'll only get soundtrack stuff. The Bird Box thing that was mentioned previously and possibly Watchmen, which is supposed to debut in the 4th quarter of 2019.

BRoswell
07-14-2019, 02:58 PM
We're over halfway through the year and so far nothing's happened. I'm convinced that we'll only get soundtrack stuff. The Bird Box thing that was mentioned previously and possibly Watchmen, which is supposed to debut in the 4th quarter of 2019.

There's The Woman In The Window as well, which has now been pushed back to next year.

Max
07-14-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm hoping for The Fragile deluxe to actually happen. 21st of September, anyone?

have a little faith, lol. Did we learn nothing from Not The Actual Events? That dropped very late in a year that he promised a new release

cheddamash
07-15-2019, 02:33 AM

Wasn’t there a Beats 1 interview where TR said there were multiple NIN related projects coming in 2019 too? I can’t find the interview now though.

Rob Sheridan recently mentioned he’s helping with the DE of With Teeth, so I assume the next round of DEs are still coming... “soon.”

WorzelG
07-15-2019, 02:35 AM
Really getting my hopes up with that!

fillow
07-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Working a multicam edit of a show is exhausting... Especially when it's your fist video editing project ever.
I hate this show as much as I love it at this point, but it's finally done.

https://i.imgur.com/XJaK7gC.png?1https://i.imgur.com/LSQGKN7.png?1

Coming to Youtube and ninlive... soon.

StockAvuryah
07-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Working a multicam edit of a show is exhausting... Especially when it's your fist video editing project ever.
I hate this show as much as I love it at this point, but it's finally done.

https://i.imgur.com/XJaK7gC.png?1https://i.imgur.com/LSQGKN7.png?1

Coming to Youtube and ninlive... soon.

Nice ! Looking cool

Volband
07-16-2019, 06:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2r28M1TrY

The wave goodbye part and the immediate transition into heavy guitars give me some serious now i'm nothing vibes. Not sure if there are a tons of wave goodbye songs like this out there, or Trent was actually somewhat inspired by this one.

WorzelG
07-16-2019, 06:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2r28M1TrY

The wave goodbye part and the immediate transition into heavy guitars give me some serious now i'm nothing vibes. Not sure if there are a tons of wave goodbye songs like this out there, or Trent was actually somewhat inspired by this one.
I would LOVE it if Trent was inspired by A-Ha - very much a teen fave of mine. I’d love it if there was footage of The Urge covering A-Ha

Max
07-17-2019, 02:52 PM
I'm sure this will appear in other threads, but FYI NIN-collaborator Saul Williams has a new album about to drop this week: "Encrypted & Vulnerable".
https://twitter.com/SaulWilliams
https://linktr.ee/saulwilliams

Demogorgon
07-17-2019, 05:24 PM
Anyone else crossing their fingers that the next live NIN show opens up with a
mashup of Pinion with Old Town Road?

Absolutely fucking not.

Halo Infinity
07-20-2019, 02:32 PM
All I could think about upon seeing this, was "You and me both Trent Reznor. You and me both." While I never grew up with vinyl, I could still relate because I at least grew up with VHS, CS, CDs and DVDs. I know that it's 2019, but I was mistaken to think that physical media would be phased out this much at least in the early to mid 2020s. (Since even though file-sharing and streaming was all over the place, there still seemed to be stores that sold CDs and DVDs, just not as much for very obvious reasons as of now.) I realized that I was absolutely wrong when I discovered that there are even actual shopping malls that no longer have stores that sell any CDs and DVDs whatsoever.

And while I thought and have posted about this before, it still just occurred to me to share this here, since this also about Trent Reznor also sharing the same exact stance with me concerning the decline and overall elimination of physical media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwz765diaw8

StockAvuryah
07-20-2019, 04:37 PM
All I could think about upon seeing this, was "You and me both Trent Reznor. You and me both." While I never grew up with vinyl, I could still relate because I at least grew up with VHS, CS, CDs and DVDs. I know that it's 2019, but I was mistaken to think that physical media would be phased out this much at least in the early to mid 2020s. (Since even though file-sharing and streaming was all over the place, there still seemed to be stores that sold CDs and DVDs, just not as much for very obvious reasons as of now.) I realized that I was absolutely wrong when I discovered that there are even actual shopping malls that no longer have stores that sell any CDs and DVDs whatsoever.

And while I thought and have posted about this before, it still just occurred to me to share this here, since this also about Trent Reznor also sharing the same exact stance with me concerning the decline and overall elimination of physical media.

To build on all of that.

Local record stores, local venues for concerts, meeting in the flesh other music lovers who all share the same passion, it's at the heart of a local music community.

But it has been completely replaced by the internet. Now people only live online, people are born online, are raised online, like I was.

Is it possible for the two cohabite, to thrive, to intersect with each other ?

I'd say there's a definitive line between the small niche that is composed of the people that go to local stores and venues, that go on rateyourmusic and smallish sites like that, and the great majority of people who still only consume and go with the flow, as they always did, and just don't really care about music. It's just a tool. Why not, that works.

And when the tool is accessed by other, easier, cheaper, online means, well of course physically everything is going to die.

We will be left only with a certain core of people who live and breath, make certain types of music, who care about the physical world, but i'll only stay a niche. Maybe for the better ?

snichols
07-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Happy birthday to The Slip physical release.

MrLobster
07-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Happy birthday to The Slip physical release.

CD 114,159 checking in...

Halo Infinity
07-29-2019, 08:36 PM
CD 148,194 right here.

gorast
07-31-2019, 09:46 PM
59,227 for me.

KarenLeslie
08-01-2019, 02:14 AM
Do you know how much effort it would be to actually find my actual The Slip CD in my actual house in order to post the number?

Damn, I am pretty much the reason for the decline of physical media, personified.

fillow
08-06-2019, 05:51 AM
I regularly check Youtube for any fresh NIN-related uploads (god knows why) and it's a bit scary that there are about 3 to 5 new solo/bedroom Hurt covers uploaded nearly every. single. fucking. day.
How on Earth people think anyone would want to watch another 17 versions of it? Ugh.

I swear, one day I'll make a supercut of it where every word is sang by a different person. But no one would want to watch it either.

ghostaustin
08-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Is this entire interview available somewhere? I've been searching but can't find the whole thing

HWB
08-06-2019, 08:49 AM
I regularly check Youtube for any fresh NIN-related uploads (god knows why) and it's a bit scary that there are about 3 to 5 new solo/bedroom Hurt covers uploaded nearly every. single. fucking. day.
How on Earth people think anyone would want to watch another 17 versions of it? Ugh.

I swear, one day I'll make a supercut of it where every word is sang by a different person. But no one would want to watch it either.
Honestly, seeing all those freaks calling NIN "satanic" on the "newest uploads" on YouTube is far more of a terrifying experience.

HWB
08-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Wish NIN.com was offering more shirts with long sleeves. I don't like people seeing my arms. :/

eversonpoe
08-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Wish NIN.com was offering more shirts with long sleeves. I don't like people seeing my arms. :/

cover them in tattoos! ;)

but seriously, the only reason i can stand looking at myself is because a good portion of my body is covered in tattoos. i'm like a walking art gallery.

Erneuert
08-06-2019, 10:56 AM

I would watch that.

StockAvuryah
08-06-2019, 07:19 PM

do it quick because if you actually pull it off it's going to be very cool

Deacon Blackfire
08-07-2019, 11:54 AM
At this point it seems likely that our next update from the NIN camp will probably involve the Watchmen soundtrack or the (maybe happening?) Bird Box physical release. But as far as our next update on Nine Inch Nails itself...I know it's a longshot by now, but an announcement of a live album / Blu-Ray documenting the Cold & Black & Infinite tour would be just about as exciting to me as new NIN material. It has been over a decade since the awesome Beside You In Time, NIN's most recent official live release, and if ever a tour was meriting of "proper" documentation, it was C&B&I.

StockAvuryah
08-07-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm still confused about what that photographer said about a music video being filmed in an abandoned hangar. I guess it was the live version of Ahead Of Ourselves, and it is very well made with a fusion of multiple performances and the cameraman just running for his life at the end, but I thought it was something else. And then Trent doubled down by saying music videos is a thing of the past or something like that.. (which is wrong, e.g. Gambino)

joplinpicasso
08-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Been having a blast over the past few months luring my partner into being a NIN fan. She originally thought Hurt was a Cash song, fwiw. We've been devouring the discography in chronological order, and she's investigating details and interviews on her own. Warming this NIN fan's heart.

ultimatebdp
08-07-2019, 02:11 PM
At this point it seems likely that our next update from the NIN camp will probably involve the Watchmen soundtrack or the (maybe happening?) Bird Box physical release. But as far as our next update on Nine Inch Nails itself...I know it's a longshot by now, but an announcement of a live album / Blu-Ray documenting the Cold & Black & Infinite tour would be just about as exciting to me as new NIN material. It has been over a decade since the awesome Beside You In Time, NIN's most recent official live release, and if ever a tour was meriting of "proper" documentation, it was C&B&I.

Totally agree, but I always want to hear what he's currently working on and what is getting him off musically. Hopefully lots of guitars, live drum sounds, and distorted bass guitars/synths.

Halo Infinity
08-08-2019, 06:45 AM
Is this entire interview available somewhere? I've been searching but can't find the whole thing

I couldn't find an actual video, but this seems to be the whole interview so far.

https://www.mixcloud.com/kcrwsthetreatment/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-varietys-2018-music-for-screens-summit/

Honestly, seeing all those freaks calling NIN "satanic" on the "newest uploads" on YouTube is far more of a terrifying experience.
That just immediately reminded me about Mark Dice. His video on Nine Inch Nails making one of those very claims seems to have been taken down though.

tony.parente
08-08-2019, 09:47 AM
I really wish Trent would start introducing more colors into his vinyl releases. I would LOVE a transparent seafoam blue release of The Fragile, or a blood red edition of the slip, or a smoky clear and blue version of with_teeth.

HWB
08-08-2019, 10:10 AM
I really wish Trent would start introducing more colors into his vinyl releases. I would LOVE a transparent seafoam blue release of The Fragile, or a blood red edition of the slip, or a smoky clear and blue version of with_teeth.
Speaking of that, it seems like With_Teeth has different type of blue depending which version I am seeing of the cover art
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71VAtp33IUL._SX355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51gmXFC15KL.jpg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiiqqD3xvPjAhVP_qQKHduMBdEQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Di%26source%3Dimages%26cd%3D%26ve d%3D%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com% 252Fby%252Falbum%252Fwith-teeth-bonus-tracks%252F57963348%26psig%3DAOvVaw2w_XqJrQ46h1j6K VfyAxGs%26ust%3D1565363265381369&psig=AOvVaw2w_XqJrQ46h1j6KVfyAxGs&ust=1565363265381369
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiiqqD3xvPjAhVP_qQKHduMBdEQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Di%26source%3Dimages%26cd%3D%26ve d%3D%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com% 252Fby%252Falbum%252Fwith-teeth-bonus-tracks%252F57963348%26psig%3DAOvVaw2w_XqJrQ46h1j6K VfyAxGs%26ust%3D1565363265381369&psig=AOvVaw2w_XqJrQ46h1j6KVfyAxGs&ust=1565363265381369

I saw more variants of the colour for the album, always found it curious.

Kulerage
08-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Speaking of that, it seems like With_Teeth has different type of blue depending which version I am seeing of the cover art

Noticed that as well. Always wondered which of the two was supposed to be the "official" album cover, or if they're both considered official.

HWB
08-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Noticed that as well. Always wondered which of the two was supposed to be the "official" album cover, or if they're both considered official.
I have no idea, it is really strange, I personally prefer the subtle, sky-blue second cover, to me that kind of focuses on the overall feeling of melancholony and loneliness which album expresses both lyrically and musically.

zecho
08-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Pretty sure that's just different scanners not showing colors the exact same way. There weren't different colored artworks released or anything, just bad internet copies. For what it's worth, the second one is the closest to the actual color.

Demogorgon
08-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Pretty sure that's just different scanners not showing colors the exact same way. There weren't different colored artworks released or anything, just bad internet copies. For what it's worth, the second one is the closest to the actual color.

I have 2 different copies, one an import and one not, and they have slightly different color shades. At least a few editions were different.

HWB
08-09-2019, 12:32 AM
These two covers aren't only different by their colour, notice that the top cover is also missing the lines from the top.

fragmentjunkie
08-09-2019, 01:28 AM
These two covers aren't only different by their colour, notice that the top cover is also missing the lines from the top.

The one with lines at the top is the DualDisc version. All other releases omit this - so they're both official.

HWB
08-09-2019, 02:40 AM
The one with lines at the top is the DualDisc version. All other releases omit this - so they're both official.
There is this also this version of the artwork which has a more green tinge to the blue cover. No idea where this one came from.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/56858337cbced60d3b293aef/1549947445656-NBJT84H8CAHV7WJDAGTT/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kD6g6d_8IznzvwGE9lO5DQoUqsxRUq qbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIII bLZhVYy7Mythp_T-mtop-vrsUOmeInPi9iDjx9w8K4ZfjXt2dkohZJiDdrI1I8fvN-mvKNK5lz5E2twVKTvGuJDiNEjuG6v6ULRah83RgHXAWD5lbQ/NineInchNails_WithTeeth_s.jpg

Demogorgon
08-09-2019, 02:51 AM
The green tint is either the Japan or Australia import, i believe. I have both of those and i don't remember off the top of my head which one is more on the green side, i'd have to get my physical collection out and take a look.

chuckrh
08-09-2019, 04:07 AM
i wonder what trent & atticus are cooking up for us right now? i'll admit it, i'm seriously jonesing for some new music. whatever form that takes.

zecho
08-09-2019, 08:19 AM
I have 2 different copies, one an import and one not, and they have slightly different color shades. At least a few editions were different.

The only two edition variations were the standard and dualdisc covers, but what changed was the lines. As far as having two copies that are slightly different, it'll just be because they were printed from different machines. I've seen two of the exact same album on a shelf in a store that were slightly different colors, and they were both ordered at the same time, with no differences between editions. My point is that there is not an intentional color difference between these album covers.

HWB
08-09-2019, 08:24 AM
I don't know why The Slip's rehearsal's have a far better vocal performances than the studio. It is a little frustrating to me. Head Down in particular.

mfte
08-09-2019, 10:28 AM
I don't know why The Slip's rehearsal's have a far better vocal performances than the studio. It is a little frustrating to me. Head Down in particular.

Likely because performing in a live setting with loud amps and drums would make TR more inclined to deliver an aggressive performance.

Detunez
08-10-2019, 06:01 AM
Reference to the original poster:
https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts?p=463607#post463607https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51gmXFC15KL.jpgWhy are there thin lines running down from the top towards the logo in that version of the artwork ?

katara
08-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Why are there thin lines running down from the top towards the logo in that version of the artwork ?
It's the DualDisc version mentioned previously in this thread. This included a 5.1 mix of the album along with The Hand That Feeds music video and some other tidbits.

https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-With-Teeth/release/450357

Halo Infinity
08-18-2019, 05:31 PM
There's sometimes nothing like Something I Can Never Have and That's What I Get to help heal me from the wounds, sores and burns from being rejected by a crush. I know it's absolutely nothing compared to the destruction of an actual long-term relationship, especially a divorce, but it still helps despite that fact that I've always been single. I might as well also include rejected marriage proposals to that list.

Thank you very much for that yet again Trent Reznor, as it helps me prevent me from making even more regrettable decisions in the future concerning such matters, and still helps me move on.

It just happened not so long ago, nor was that the first time since I became a fan, but it's definitely still helping me cope and deal with that exact type of rejection.

piggy
08-18-2019, 11:19 PM
"Something I Can Never Have" was a go-to song for me during high school when I was in love with a friend that I could never be in a relationship with. It was a huge help and still remains a favorite for its emotional resonance.