PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

elevenism
07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

BRoswell
07-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Manson was flashier, hence an easier target for the media. Also, Columbine happened before The Fragile came out, so Trent wasn't in the public eye as much since there hadn't been any new music (aside from The Perfect Drug) in five years.

WorzelG
07-24-2018, 02:28 PM
The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

Archive_Reports
07-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Tangentially related: The book "Columbine" released in 2009 is a terrific and insightful read.

Steven
07-24-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.

laststepdown
07-24-2018, 08:51 PM
The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

it's really not ridiculous. He was on a lot of drugs at the time too. that, combined with the killings made him paranoid to tour. they cancelled the show at red rocks scheduled a few days after the shooting. i was in high school at the time. i remember how i happy i was that nin put out the fragile that year-the fans were starving. i was getting food thrown at me every day at lunch and shit for just having a black shirt, headphones, and trenchcoat. by the time winter came that year, i dropped out. i went back and got my diploma next year in night school, where people wouldn't be capable of ganging up against me, doing what was known as the 'walk up'. five j ocks coming up to a kid under 130 lbs "if you shot up the whole school, you wouldn't kill me right? because you look like you would" etc. so i can imagine manson didn't want to get shot on stage for something he didn't do. manson was already a household name in the US by that time.

Nellyrific
07-24-2018, 09:11 PM
I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.

elevenism
07-24-2018, 09:14 PM
I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.
While this thing surely doesn't go as deep as any book, I'll just leave this here as it includes the aforementioned backpack.
Also, I was 19 in 99 and thought I already knew all about columbine by now. Admittedly, this kid pulled up a LOT of things I wasn't aware of.
(I usually watch all his vids and he's getting better and better, moving into actual Indy documentary territory with vids like this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujSc3CXVbZg&t=2062s

Krazy
07-24-2018, 09:17 PM
It’s been documented that they weren’t fans of Manson- google his Rolling Stone essay. They were fans of Rammstein and NIN if memory serves correctly. Yeah, Manson was the easy target at that time for reasons not even related.

Some students even said that Eric Harris was the one who started shit with the jocks for no reason, so when they ganged up on him it was from his own doing depending on if you believe it or not.

No winners there either way.

EDIT: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/columbine-whose-fault-is-it-232759/

elevenism
07-24-2018, 09:19 PM
I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.
Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Steven
07-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Lol for Halloween this year I decided to go a little...extreme and wore my nice leather coat w/white face-paint and black hair paint to school (Senior year of HS). No one was really concerned/freaked out, but my mom thought I was going to get in trouble.

Fred
07-25-2018, 03:24 AM
The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.

EvilGobi
07-25-2018, 07:05 AM
The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.

The whole Trilogy has regularily been my my gym music since they came out. Lately its been random NIN though after buying tickets. My other gym go-to is anything by garbageface (check out “kinda repaired” on Obduracy)

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-25-2018, 07:06 PM
I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?

snichols
07-25-2018, 07:13 PM
ive had this very same thought :)

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-25-2018, 07:19 PM
ive had this very same thought :)

100% down for a pre-show meet-up/corn starch party. Just throwing it out there...

I googled corn starch and one of the first cans I saw saw “NO MESS!” That’s cute.

sick among the pure
07-25-2018, 10:49 PM
I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?

Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.

Fred
07-26-2018, 03:40 AM
People are sharing the same faulty rip of the Mad Cool stream on YouTube, and it pisses me off. Every video of Shit Mirror I've seen there has a huge audio dropout that eliminates "goddamned time." The timing is such that I suspected censorship at first. But it isn't. It's someone shitty Internet caving in, and now it's the accepted version. There's even a multicam on YouTube that fuses together some audience videos with the webcast audio, and the editor of that chose to cut out the silence, truncating the whole song with no respect for rhythm or lyrics.

TheBang's rip has a tiny dropout in the beginning of the song, but retains the line in question. It's practically flawless, like his 2013 rips. If only people would use Google instead of sharing their own useless fucking shit. I will be so grateful once Ryan manages to put the NIN Video Drive together.

nooneimportant
07-26-2018, 06:13 AM
I truly believe that the LITS performance from The Warning up to Wish is one of the greatest live performances ever by any band. The entire show itself is good but that chunk of songs is just incredible. I can't imagine what seeing that in person was like.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-26-2018, 07:08 AM
Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.

Funny that you bring that up - I remember it being talked about here before those shows! It’s been so long that I couldn’t recall whether it actually ended up happening or not. That was partially my inspiration for wanting to do it! So I suppose I have you to thank for the idea. :D

millertd0513
07-26-2018, 04:12 PM
I truly believe that the LITS performance from The Warning up to Wish is one of the greatest live performances ever by any band. The entire show itself is good but that chunk of songs is just incredible. I can't imagine what seeing that in person was like.

It was breathtaking, even with knowing what was coming up next because I studied the setlists like a hawk before I went to my LITS show. Hands down the best show I've ever seen. Hoping the show I go to in September dethrones it.

AThousandDaysBefore
07-26-2018, 09:44 PM
When Nin and soundgarden did the tour together, I was expecting some kind of collaboration, but nothing, it was like both of them didn´t want to do the tour together, that was sad for me :(

sick among the pure
07-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Funny that you bring that up - I remember it being talked about here before those shows! It’s been so long that I couldn’t recall whether it actually ended up happening or not. That was partially my inspiration for wanting to do it! So I suppose I have you to thank for the idea. :D

That would be me (I did it both nights, the second night a few people joined me). One girl got so upset when there was a breeze and a particle of cornstarch dust came toward her, she was CERTAIN that security would not let anyone in with corn starch because "it could be anthrax!".
Robin certainly enjoyed it, I had a moment on the rail in front of him the first night.

SM Rollinger
07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Nothing More is a very solid "new" band.

I would recommend checking out a few originals to get used to their style before you watch their cover of We're In This Together. It's the only NIN cover I've ever approved of.
Thats funny you should mention Nothing More, because I just saw them close out the 2nd stage at Rock USA 2 weeks ago from today. I had never heard them at all so I dint know what to expect, and as we were standing there waiting for them to start playing, I hear, of all tracks, the Zac De La Rocha/El-P track "Digging For Windows" start playing over the PA as their taped intro. So im just like "any band that uses this song as their intro, is ok in my book," and I headed straight into the pit. Great energy and I liked the sound of their songs. They played an instrumental, they strapped a bass guitar into this stand thing, and the band minus the drummer, all took a side and proceeded to play the song on the instrument at the same time. They also had this drum riser thing that shot 15 feet into the air towards the end of their set.

Ill have to check them out for sure after reading your recommendation :)

Harry Seaward
07-28-2018, 10:31 PM

This was my first NIN show at 16. This was my first concert period, actually. I was a few rows of people back from the rail and was not prepared for what was going to happen when that smoke started seeping out and the lights went off nor was I prepared for what I'd be feeling when these motherfuckers, of whom I'd watched countless hours of footage by that point, were right the fuck in front of me, emerging from the plumes of smoke like some science experiment gone wrong. So that was something. But being a bit fat and totally unprepared for what had hit me (literally), I was more or less beat by the time we got to The Frail so I started to make my way slightly out of the madness and wound up next to this dreadlocked white Rastaman who passed me a joint, which I accepted because, I mean... #YOLO amirite?

Well this may have also been my first or second time smoking pot and I may not have 'taken it easy' as they say. Around 'Closer' is when I seemingly dissociated from reality and only existed as the essence of an urge - that urge being 'find one of these huge 42 oz cups of soda everybody has.' I guess I made it to concessions where I drank that entire fucking soda where I stood, after which my goal in life shifted to 'immediately find a pisser.' Luckily there was one right next to concessions and I remember thinking it was strange that there was a huge line of dudes standing around in front of it. I'm not sure why but they all seemed awful pissed off when I walked past them up to a urinal. So weird, how can you even be in a bad mood at a wonderful place like... whatever this huge building is? They have big sodas and they're playing fucking Nine Inch Nails on the radio of all things! And not even just the hits either. 'Gave Up' was pretty cool to hear over the PA but now they just put on 'The Warn- HOLY FUCK WAIT SHIT WHAT

This would be the moment I proceeded to not wash my hands, not tip the bathroom attendant, not pass Go, and not spay and neuter my pets because I was in a full bore sprint around the outer edge of this massive Colosseum and probably doing a sweet ass tactical jump and roll into the first darkened doorway I found, only to be immediately greeted with:

WE BEEN WATCHING YOU WITH ALL OF OUR EYES
AND WHAT YOU SEEM TO VALUE MOST
SO MUCH POTENTIAL...
OR SO WE USED TO SAY

...after which I was forced to at least make an attempt to collect my fucking shit and find some place safe to strap myself in.

I don't have the time nor the words to recount exactly what happened from this point to the night's conclusion, but I did find this artist's approximation that I hope will at least help explain.

https://i.imgur.com/VVyaVM3.jpg

nooneimportant
07-29-2018, 06:01 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VVyaVM3.jpg

Hey look, you accurately summed up what it felt like when I saw them play The Great Destroyer and then Eraser in 2014. That was my first NIN show and I knew what was coming because I couldn't help myself, but I was not prepared for the absolute force of it in person.

TheBang
07-29-2018, 07:08 AM
People are sharing the same faulty rip of the Mad Cool stream on YouTube, and it pisses me off. Every video of Shit Mirror I've seen there has a huge audio dropout that eliminates "goddamned time." The timing is such that I suspected censorship at first. But it isn't. It's someone shitty Internet caving in, and now it's the accepted version.
Oh, that's an interesting glitch, caused by a corrupted fragment. That's from indykid's capture that was posted to Dime. I guess that provides some vindication (and personal reassurance) for why I try to always capture from 3 different locations, and then compare checksums on all the fragments, so I can get some kind of quorum consensus on what's corrupted and what's not. For this stream, 2 captures matched all fragments exactly, but 1 capture I did from a Spain VM had 5 fragments that were corrupt. They probably would have manifest like this glitch.

chuckrh
07-29-2018, 07:39 AM
The Fragile keeps getting better with each passing year. Although it certainly is a classic, I don't think I would say the same thing about The Downward Spiral. Not talking about individual songs, but the albums as a whole. IMHO of course.

neorev
07-29-2018, 03:17 PM
After hearing Fine, the final part of the Sonoio trilogy, I really do wish Trent would let Alessandro be a more integral part of Nine Inch Nails, hell, even the third official member. Alessandro's work as Sonoio really shows his songwriting skills. Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Alessandro Cortini would make one fucking strong team. I wish Trent would invite more people into the album writing/making process like back in the day. But if there can only be one... Alessandro Cortini definitely. Folks will hate me here for saying this, but I had a much bigger emotional response to Sonoio's final part of his trilogy than Bad Witch. Not that Bad Witch was bad, but something clicked with me more personally with Fine. Fine made me feel sad yet empowered. Sonoio shows Cortini is an amazing songwriter and excellent at melody, structure, and emotion. He would be a great contribution to Nine Inch Nails than just a live keyboardist/back up guitarist/bassist/etc. I do hope Trent let's him work more closely on the next album if we get one. The three of them together would be one hell of a trilogy of musicians/artists.

chuckrh
07-29-2018, 04:17 PM
After hearing Fine, the final part of the Sonoio trilogy, I really do wish Trent would let Alessandro be a more integral part of Nine Inch Nails, hell, even the third official member. Alessandro's work as Sonoio really shows his songwriting skills. Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Alessandro Cortini would make one fucking strong team. I wish Trent would invite more people into the album writing/making process like back in the day. But if there can only be one... Alessandro Cortini definitely. Folks will hate me here for saying this, but I had a much bigger emotional response to Sonoio's final part of his trilogy than Bad Witch. Not that Bad Witch was bad, but something clicked with me more personally with Fine. Fine made me feel sad yet empowered. Sonoio shows Cortini is an amazing songwriter and excellent at melody, structure, and emotion. He would be a great contribution to Nine Inch Nails than just a live keyboardist/back up guitarist/bassist/etc. I do hope Trent let's him work more closely on the next album if we get one. The three of them together would be one hell of a trilogy of musicians/artists.

I think the whole current touring band is stellar. I've literally seen 100s of shows & when I saw NIN last October in Vegas, they totally blew me away. That does not happen to me often anymore. You are right about Alessandro though. Another special musician.

sonic_discord
07-30-2018, 12:05 AM
If anyone deserves the title of "third official member," I think it should be Robin. I don't know if the guy has comparable songwriting skills, but he's been around longer than anyone besides Trent and his guitar playing kicks ass. Alessandro would be the logical choice for "fourth official member," though – I certainly don't mean to discredit his contributions to the band.

Fred
07-30-2018, 12:32 AM
If anyone deserves the title of "third official member," I think it should be Robin. I don't know if the guy has comparable songwriting skills, but he's been around longer than anyone besides Trent and his guitar playing kicks ass. Alessandro would be the logical choice for "fourth official member," though – I certainly don't mean to discredit his contributions to the band.

I agree, which is why it’s so awesome that he’s finally gotten a lead vocal spot. I’ve always loved how off-the-charts insane his background vocals sound. His voice really suits Shit Mirror.

elevenism
07-30-2018, 01:58 AM
Thirded.
NIN live wouldn't be the same without Robin at this point and Alessandro is close to achieving the same status.

And I really wish Robin played on these new records. I'm a HUGE Jane's addiction fan but I don't understand what's so special about Dave Navarro

mauro995
07-30-2018, 04:18 AM
I actually would love the next NIN album to be composed by Trent and Atticus but recorded with the whole live lineup, specially after hearing how songs like Ahead Of Ourselves sound while being played live.

chuckrh
07-30-2018, 04:32 AM
Thirded.
NIN live wouldn't be the same without Robin at this point and Alessandro is close to achieving the same status.

And I really wish Robin played on these new records. I'm a HUGE Jane's addiction fan but I don't understand what's so special about Dave Navarro

I'm pretty much the same about Jane's Addiction. They haven't been very good when I've seen them but I put that more on Perry Farrell. The exception would be the first Lollapalooza. They played a killer set in the rain here. Other times it has seemed like every one was playing a different song at the same time. I did like Dave's work with RHCP. I saw the short lived G n R when Robin & Buckethead were in the band. That was phenomenal especially when Axl let the guitars do solo turns.

laststepdown
07-30-2018, 05:32 AM
I actually would love the next NIN album to be composed by Trent and Atticus but recorded with the whole live lineup, specially after hearing how songs like Ahead Of Ourselves sound while being played live.

agreed. even just a companion disc like we got with the slip...something about god break down the door live just hit HARD live.

nooneimportant
07-30-2018, 05:34 AM

I think The Slip was recorded by the live band.

Fred
07-30-2018, 06:25 AM
I think The Slip was recorded by the live band.

It wasn't, really. Alessandro surely plays on it, but I'm not sure about Robin or JMJ. Josh has stated that he didn't play on it.

fillow
07-30-2018, 08:59 AM
It wasn't, really. Alessandro surely plays on it, but I'm not sure about Robin or JMJ. Josh has stated that he didn't play on it.
Ha! Alessandro is the one who doesn't play on it actually. He revealed so himself in some interview like 8 or 9 years ago. But it's his hand on TR's shoulder on the cover.
The credits say Performed by TR, Robin, Josh Freese and Alessandro. My guess is it's really mostly TR and Atticus, while Robin and Josh added some random overdubs here and there, as well as live drum samples (in Josh's case).
Justin joined later and is definitely not on the studio album.

sick among the pure
07-30-2018, 01:58 PM
I am 100% on the "I wish every album was released with a live version like The Slip" train. But that's just because I can't get enough top-quality live recordings.

ryanmcfly
07-30-2018, 03:57 PM
I am 100% on the "I wish every album was released with a live version like The Slip" train. But that's just because I can't get enough top-quality live recordings.

Same. I listen to live NIN just as much if not more than studio NIN. They have so many live recordings locked away... waiting to be listened to.

nooneimportant
07-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Honestly, once you have the 2013 Rehearsals and the 2005 Rehearsals, I think you're pretty much set as far as quality live recordings goes. There's other stuff sure but it doesn't get any better than those.

nooneimportant
07-30-2018, 10:31 PM
I had a very interesting moment the other night. I listened to NIN's cover of Subterraneans with David Bowie and I had God Break Down the Door played directly afterwards. It was fucking perfect. Could you imagine Bowie on stage to do the vocals for God Break Down the Door? You'd shit your fucking pants.

chuckrh
07-31-2018, 05:16 AM
here's a really random thought. joe walsh played with foo fighters last weekend at fenway to good effect. i know there will be some attitude in some quarters here about this concept but i think it would be interesting to see joe play with trent, dave grohl & josh homme. i really loved mantra on the sound city record. a lot of people don't realize what a stellar guitar player joe is nowadays. since he has sobered up, the man has taken a giant leap as guitar player & i think he could play anything. he did that 1 song on sonic highway & nailed it. i saw 1 of the final eagles shows (i know, i'm old) with glen frey & joe was by far the best thing about it. i think even the band realized it. they didn't do any solo stuff except for joe's & that was awesome. i told you this was random, haha. :D

eachpassingphase
07-31-2018, 09:44 PM
Same. I listen to live NIN just as much if not more than studio NIN. They have so many live recordings locked away... waiting to be listened to.

I realized the other day that I listen to AATCHB more than any other album on my phone. I've read that it's a total pain to do mixing for live albums, but I would kill for a live album from this tour, especially after seeing some of the performances on youtube over the last few weeks. The band just sounds killer.

eachpassingphase
07-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Also: I was watching the behind-the-scenes thing on the making of the "Closer" video (probably most of the folks here have seen it, but I hadn't) and I was suddenly VERY aware that I don't have what it takes to be in any sort of showbusiness career. I would be driven absolutely bananas by listening to the crew argue for thirty minutes about how high to hold a skull so it was framed correctly in the shot, or having to hold a shell and dart my gaze back and forth on the director's cue over and over without moving.

That shit is tedious. I guess I vaguely understood that it was less glamorous than most people think, but I didn't realize how much so.

BRoswell
07-31-2018, 11:57 PM
Also: I was watching the behind-the-scenes thing on the making of the "Closer" video (probably most of the folks here have seen it, but I hadn't) and I was suddenly VERY aware that I don't have what it takes to be in any sort of showbusiness career. I would be driven absolutely bananas by listening to the crew argue for thirty minutes about how high to hold a skull so it was framed correctly in the shot, or having to hold a shell and dart my gaze back and forth on the director's cue over and over without moving.

That shit is tedious. I guess I vaguely understood that it was less glamorous than most people think, but I didn't realize how much so.

I'm involved in filmmaking, and while it CAN be tedious, the rewards are more than worth it.

loopcloses
08-01-2018, 12:40 AM
I'd really enjoy the opportunity to be involved with the production of a good film or play or television show, just to know for certain, but I do think at some point in high school when I aspired to be a director it hit me just how much more I care about the final product and not about the nitty gritty tedium of how it's all made. Would a great film even hit you the same way when you've spent a significant fraction of your life creating and poring over and refining every detail of it?

Music on the other hand, the creative side of that is endlessly appealing to me. It's so much less restrictive and more open-ended. Someone like NIN or Dillinger Escape Plan or El-P could film the entirety of the production of one of their records and I'd happily watch all of it, as painfully long as it would be.

ryanmcfly
08-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Honestly, once you have the 2013 Rehearsals and the 2005 Rehearsals, I think you're pretty much set as far as quality live recordings goes. There's other stuff sure but it doesn't get any better than those.

I personally can't stand to listen to 2005 rehearsals. Trent and the bound sound slightly off in them and the mix sounds odd to me.

eachpassingphase
08-01-2018, 04:52 PM
I'm involved in filmmaking, and while it CAN be tedious, the rewards are more than worth it.

I bet it's a super-satisfying to spend tons of time on details like that and actually have it pay off. I'm glad somebody out there has the chops for it, because the end result can be incredible.

The music video for "Closer" is a great example. You could release that video for the first time this year and it would still be just as captivating as it was when it was released in the 90's. It's just got a timeless feel that makes it look cool forever rather than dated (a ton of music videos from around that time did NOT age well.)

nooneimportant
08-02-2018, 01:15 AM
I personally can't stand to listen to 2005 rehearsals. Trent and the bound sound slightly off in them and the mix sounds odd to me.

There's a few songs where I don't think it sounds very good. SICNH and Sin especially. Jeordie's bass sound is way too harsh on Sin.

ryanmcfly
08-02-2018, 08:27 AM
There's a few songs where I don't think it sounds very good. SICNH and Sin especially. Jeordie's bass sound is way too harsh on Sin.

Sin comes to mind also. Trent's vocals at times sound a little lazy but i think that's the nature with rehearsals. I haven't listened to them in years, so I can't think of any specific examples.

klyrish
08-02-2018, 08:53 AM
I've been listening to a ton of NIN bootlegs from 1994-2018 over the last couple of months and I can't help but simultaneously smile and roll my eyes every time Trent introduces a song by saying something like, "this is one of our favorites" or "we did this for <movie title>'s soundtrack" as if anyone but him is responsible for the (vast majority of the) songs he's introducing. It's just weird to me to hear him use group pronouns to refer to NIN when HE and HE ALONE is Nine Inch Nails (until 2017 anyway).

Fred
08-02-2018, 09:03 AM
I've been listening to a ton of NIN bootlegs from 1994-2018 over the last couple of months and I can't help but simultaneously smile and roll my eyes every time Trent introduces a song by saying something like, "this is one of our favorites" or "we did this for <movie title>'s soundtrack" as if anyone but him is responsible for the (vast majority of the) songs he's introducing. It's just weird to me to hear him use group pronouns to refer to NIN when HE and HE ALONE is Nine Inch Nails (until 2017 anyway).

Maybe he’s using the royal “we...”

There are some songs that the rest of the live band worked on. Memorabilia and the Quake soundtrack spring to mind.

klyrish
08-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Maybe he’s using the royal “we...”

There are some songs that the rest of the live band worked on. Memorabilia and the Quake soundtrack spring to mind.
Right, totally. There definitely are situations where other members of the band had a part in the studio songs in some way and in the case of 1994-2000, it makes more sense to say. But with the 2005-2007 lineup and most of the 2008 and 2009 lineup (aside from Robin in 2008-2009), none of them were a part of the band in any way, shape or form.

Good call about the royal "we"

botley
08-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Atticus was. We just didn't hear about it until 2016.

EDIT... I should also say: the UK reporter from that recent piece in The Quietus (my fellow Numanoid, Mr. John Doran) had interviewed TR before, circa With Teeth, and he wrote about his genuine surprise to discover upon walking into the room that he was meant to also be interviewing Atticus about NIN in this year's round of press interviews, as well. Then again, Atticus has also had writing credits since 2007 with every track on Ghosts I-IV, and helped with the programming and production of the previous two records, so it's not like he was exactly sidelined for his contributions either.

But, yeah, there's a more defined era of him being "In. The. Band." only now with the last three records (along with their central roles as members of How to Destroy Angels).

elevenism
08-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Dear God this makes me miss the nineties.
I was gonna put it in NIN spotting but decided it was a little too off colour.
But yeah, the Courtney Love/Trent Reznor/Evan Dando/Billy Corgan show was a fucking HOOT in 1994-95
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJsrK-YO9s

I honestly kind of miss the insanity of it all.

botley
08-02-2018, 03:01 PM
But yeah, the Courtney Love/Trent Reznor/Evan Dando/Billy Corgan show was a fucking HOOT in 1994-95

It's still there on social media. Not so much with those personalities, the culture has obviously moved on, but celebrity musicians in the modern-day tabloid press are still A Thing.

elevenism
08-02-2018, 03:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJsrK-YO9s

Right but back then, it was a bunch of my favorite bands and I was fourteen.

Fred
08-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Right, totally. There definitely are situations where other members of the band had a part in the studio songs in some way and in the case of 1994-2000, it makes more sense to say. But with the 2005-2007 lineup and most of the 2008 and 2009 lineup (aside from Robin in 2008-2009), none of them were a part of the band in any way, shape or form.

Good call about the royal "we"

All jokes aside, I would assume that it just comes out like that naturally when you’re standing on a stage with several other people.

It’s never been “Trent Reznor & Nine Inch Nails,” so I can imagine it would just be awkward for everyone, including Trent himself, if he only referred to himself during stage banter. The live band has always been presented as a tight unit. Not just as a backing band for one guy.

It also makes sense for the average concert goer who may just be a casual fan.

Exocet
08-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Whenever I hear Atticus Ross talk I feel like I'm listening to someone who is wearing one of those big hats with a cane from the Victorian era.. from around 1886.

I like it...I wish more people spoke like that now a days... it sounds very classy...his voice has such a shameless masculine command...quite sexy...the Americans and Brits and Canadians and Australians have lost class in the past few decades....he is shaming us..

StockAvuryah
08-04-2018, 09:23 AM
If the supposed music video is for I'm Not From This World, it would actually be very very interesting. As it's a bit of a soundtrack already, it would be an incredible addition to the album. And I would watch it everytime.

katara
08-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Whenever I hear Atticus Ross talk I feel like I'm listening to someone who is wearing one of those big hats with a cane from the Victorian era.. from around 1886.

I like it...I wish more people spoke like that now a days... it sounds very classy...his voice has such a shameless masculine command...quite sexy...the Americans and Brits and Canadians and Australians have lost class in the past few decades....he is shaming us..
People in the UK still speak like him. Depends where you go. The local accent changes every few miles here. He probably had a good upbringing and went to a private school where good elocution was encouraged.

chuckrh
08-04-2018, 11:47 AM
the fragile is to the end of the 90s what disintegration was to the end of the 80s.

WorzelG
08-04-2018, 12:00 PM
People in the UK still speak like him. Depends where you go. The local accent changes every few miles here. He probably had a good upbringing and went to a private school where good elocution was encouraged.
His whole early life was fascinating, sheepdean linked to a Tatler article about him, apparently his dad (or father as he is posh) moved them to Los Angeles to open a roller rink and when it failed had to become a butler for Beverley Hills families to make ends meet. He wrote a book about it, I can't find the article now though. Also yes He went to Eton the poshest private school but bunked off the whole time

Elrickooo
08-04-2018, 08:35 PM
I really like Where is Everybody, I'm not sure if it is popular among the die hard fans but to me the song has so many layers of sound. Does anyone know what effect is used towards the end? Are they strings reveresed? I'm no musician but it sounds like it may have been a super complicated song to finish.

nooneimportant
08-04-2018, 10:30 PM
I really like Where is Everybody, I'm not sure if it is popular among the die hard fans but to me the song has so many layers of sound. Does anyone know what effect is used towards the end? Are they strings reveresed? I'm no musician but it sounds like it may have been a super complicated song to finish.

I always thought it would be a good song to do in place of Me, I'm Not or The Warning on a Setlist especially now that Atticus is in the band. It's got a very similar vibe. I wonder if Trent finds the chorus embarassing though, because he's said some things on The Fragile are embarassing but I know his opinions on his own work can change alot over time.

BRoswell
08-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Or better yet, they should play the remix!

But seriously, I would love to hear some tracks that haven't been played in a while (or at all). I remember how awesome it was to hear that new version of "Sanctified" five years ago and thinking that they should revitalize a few more old songs. It was nice to hear "I Do Not Want This" played recently, but moments like that seem few and far between.

Halo Infinity
08-05-2018, 01:39 PM
I've been just basking in the satisfaction of the trilogy being completed, while also still trying to process it all. For quite a while even before With Teeth came out, I was actually wondering if Nine Inch Nails would release CDs around similar lengths of the likes of Broken and Still, and I got much more than I ever expected with Not The Actual Events, Add Violence and Bad Witch in under the span of 2 complete years nonetheless.

And then it also hit me that Hesitation Marks and Bad Witch are also with in the 5 year span thing that's been around NIN's albums since the beginning.

With that being said, and this is just a given, but it also just leaves me more excited to have a chance to see any of those songs live, as with any new NIN releases at the time being.

eversonpoe
08-06-2018, 06:48 AM

one of the sounds at the end is a slide on a guitar just being rubbed around a bit, i believe.

laci
08-06-2018, 06:54 AM
https://img.discogs.com/c1DE--kOGqP3WVjW5YITCWSAvFw=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-428384-1359836069-5385.jpeg.jpg
Reminds me of the cover of Add Violence. More info here (https://www.discogs.com/L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3-Dubrovay-A%C2%B2--Oscillations-Nos-1-3/release/428384).

BRoswell
08-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Or better yet, they should play the remix!

But seriously, I would love to hear some tracks that haven't been played in a while (or at all). I remember how awesome it was to hear that new version of "Sanctified" five years ago and thinking that they should revitalize a few more old songs. It was nice to hear "I Do Not Want This" played recently, but moments like that seem few and far between.

Following up on this: I would love nothing more than to hear a reworked version of "Ringfinger". There's so much they could do with it, especially in regards to the ending. Just imagine Robin playing that fuzzy riff before the whole band explodes into the finale.

Steven
08-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Following up on this: I would love nothing more than to hear a reworked version of "Ringfinger". There's so much they could do with it, especially in regards to the ending. Just imagine Robin playing that fuzzy riff before the whole band explodes into the finale.

God damn Ringfinger is such a banger, always forget about it for some reason then instantly remember how much it kicks ass

opal
08-07-2018, 03:22 AM
I wonder how unofficial releases like this one make it to NIN‘s Spotify:

https://preview.ibb.co/kvQEgK/29_E6_E266_6_D72_4_D63_8_B95_6_B42_B154983_A.jpg (https://ibb.co/cTtOae)

Soma
08-07-2018, 03:31 AM
Maybe it is too obvious but... imagine a tour package of NIN + The Black Queen + Crosses

One can dream, right?

hologram parade
08-07-2018, 10:01 AM
https://img.discogs.com/c1DE--kOGqP3WVjW5YITCWSAvFw=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-428384-1359836069-5385.jpeg.jpg
Reminds me of the cover of Add Violence. More info here (https://www.discogs.com/L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3-Dubrovay-A%C2%B2--Oscillations-Nos-1-3/release/428384).

first record i thought of was this one

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51e%2BIqiNIbL._SS500.jpg http://www.resident-music.com/image/cache/data/universal/oct17/nine-500x500.jpg

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
08-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Maybe it is too obvious but... imagine a tour package of NIN + The Black Queen + Crosses

One can dream, right?

Greg would do that in a second since he loves NIN. I am sure Chino would be down as well

thenorthwood
08-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Lately I can’t get enough of the Still version of The Becoming. Pure, raw anguish that oozes from my speakers. The Still version increased my liking of the song tenfold.

otnavuskire
08-09-2018, 02:50 PM
The director of the agency I work for stopped by today along with a couple women from HR. The director noticed the NIN shirt I was wearing and commented on it. One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was. I declined to answer the question. I figured it was probably best not to tell anyone from HR about NIN's most popular song.

Steven
08-09-2018, 03:38 PM
For some reason I'd love a Still-version of Burning Bright. Even though it so layered, a version with a piano/guitar/bass/keyboard in a small room could be beautiful.

bobbie solo
08-10-2018, 12:20 AM
One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was.

Since you were afraid to tell her about Closer, you should have mentioned the much safer Even Closer (f. Justin Timberlake & Maynard James Keenan)

http://cdn.antiquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/strobelight-cover-art-600x315.jpg

sweeterthan
08-10-2018, 12:33 AM
The director of the agency I work for stopped by today along with a couple women from HR. The director noticed the NIN shirt I was wearing and commented on it. One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was. I declined to answer the question. I figured it was probably best not to tell anyone from HR about NIN's most popular song.

Johnny Cash’s “hurt” is a safe bet

elevenism
08-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Or better yet, they should play the (where is everybody) remix!

That remix is one of my favorite songs of all time.
and i don't mean NIN songs. i'm talking favorite songs full stop.

eachpassingphase
08-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Ok, I just saw this posted on Instagram by the NIN live archive account. Does anybody know what that lavender shirt on the right is? I haven’t seen that before and was wondering what it looked like unfolded. https://www.instagram.com/p/BmT0NP3DScR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7ll1r1zjmy3k

kel
08-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Ok, I just saw this posted on Instagram by the NIN live archive account. Does anybody know what that lavender shirt on the right is? I haven’t seen that before and was wondering what it looked like unfolded. https://www.instagram.com/p/BmT0NP3DScR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7ll1r1zjmy3k

it's the cover of my bloody valentine's loveless, faded with the title above.

william
08-10-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm taking a wild guess here but that looks a WHOLE LOT like the cover of the Loveless album by My Bloody Valentine.

Lerxto
08-10-2018, 07:22 PM

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4951-COLD-and-BLACK-and-INFINITE-2018-Official-Tour-Merchandise?p=424927#post424927
That's actually my pic, here's the full version

eachpassingphase
08-10-2018, 07:46 PM
it's the cover of my bloody valentine's loveless, faded with the title above.

Oh I didn’t realize that table had other bands merch on it too. I got excited for a second and thought there was new NIN stuff!

Bachy
08-11-2018, 09:00 PM
I haven't had a NIN song grow on me so much quite like "God Break Down the Door" has.

https://static.life.ru/posts/2016/03/400760/gr/north/2e5c1bb98f1b0f7defc86d6a10c345d6__1200x630.gif

nooneimportant
08-12-2018, 10:25 PM
I really don't like how there's no live drums on Only anymore in live performances. I loved that version from the 2013 shows where it was the same intro as the album version but with Ilan playing it.

eversonpoe
08-12-2018, 10:32 PM
I really don't like how there's no live drums on Only anymore in live performances. I loved that version from the 2013 shows where it was the same intro as the album version but with Ilan playing it.

i just want them to play the El-P remix of it live because it's so much better

acrid avid jam shred
08-13-2018, 01:19 AM
I found the Perfect Drug single at my local record shop today! I didn't know the Australian version included the original mix along with the other remixes. It was an awesome surprise to stumble across it!

neorev
08-13-2018, 03:00 AM
I found the Perfect Drug single at my local record shop today! I didn't know the Australian version included the original mix along with the other remixes. It was an awesome surprise to stumble across it!

Lucky bastard

chuckrh
08-13-2018, 03:33 AM
Trent is very smart doing the shows in Asia. Once they love you over there, it never goes away.

eachpassingphase
08-13-2018, 08:26 PM
It dawned on me today that it's actually been a couple of years since I listened to "Hurt". I guess between listening to TDS a thousand times, then the Cash cover, then just generally hearing references to it in pop culture for years I needed a bit of a break from it.

Re-listening to songs that are emotionally powerfully after not hearing them for a while sort of brings the magic back of hearing them for the first time. What a beautiful, haunting, song: really kind of wrenches your soul.

BRoswell
08-14-2018, 12:47 AM
Listening to "And All That Could Have Been" today, I think I know why it may have been left off of The Fragile. Structurally, it's fairly similar to "The Day The World Went Away". You have a quiet beginning that heads into a wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums, followed by another quiet section (the former features loud strumming guitar in this section, which is where it breaks away from the structure), then finishing with an even bigger wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums. As an experiment, try singing the final lyrics to AATCHB in your head in time to the end of TDTWWA and you might see what I mean. Anyway, it would seem that there was only space for one song like that on the album, and AATCHB lost out in the end.

eversonpoe
08-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Listening to "And All That Could Have Been" today, I think I know why it may have been left off of The Fragile. Structurally, it's fairly similar to "The Day The World Went Away". You have a quiet beginning that heads into a wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums, followed by another quiet section (the former features loud strumming guitar in this section, which is where it breaks away from the structure), then finishing with an even bigger wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums. As an experiment, try singing the final lyrics to AATCHB in your head in time to the end of TDTWWA and you might see what I mean. Anyway, it would seem that there was only space for one song like that on the album, and AATCHB lost out in the end.

i don't know if i agree

there's no drums in the studio version of TDTWWA
the verses of AATCHB are in 13/8
emotionally, TDTWWA is triumphant and AATCHB is filled with despair

i think it's simply more likely that the song wasn't composed (or at least not completed) until after the fragile's release. i feel like if it had been around during the sessions for the fragile, we would have gotten some kind of instrumental version of Deviations. it's such a unique piece of music in the NIN canon and i'm actually glad it wasn't on The Fragile because it fits so perfectly on Still.

EndlessLoveless
08-15-2018, 09:55 AM
i don't know if i agree

there's no drums in the studio version of TDTWWA
the verses of AATCHB are in 13/8
emotionally, TDTWWA is triumphant and AATCHB is filled with despair

i think it's simply more likely that the song wasn't composed (or at least not completed) until after the fragile's release. i feel like if it had been around during the sessions for the fragile, we would have gotten some kind of instrumental version of Deviations. it's such a unique piece of music in the NIN canon and i'm actually glad it wasn't on The Fragile because it fits so perfectly on Still.

agree with you 100%. AATCHB is one of my all time favs. If the notes are similar to TDTWWA (another all time favorite) it may be intentional. Like a reprise for side 2, but probably not. It is a very unique song for sure. We have an odd NIN guitar sound in the beginning, the beat is made of weird sounds, we have what sounds like acoustic guitar (or a parker fly) in the middle (my favorite part), the huge final chorus. Its perfect.

The song that reminds me of it, almost to the point of a rip off, is grand canyon by MJK.

ultimatebdp
08-15-2018, 10:47 AM
The song that reminds me of it, almost to the point of a rip off, is grand canyon by MJK.

IMO, MJK wishes he was TR...and is farrrrr from it. Give me the worst NIN song over the best Pucifer song any day.

wizfan
08-15-2018, 01:23 PM
I love the Zoo Station cover even more than I used to.

BRoswell
08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
I love the Zoo Station cover even more than I used to.

Definitely the most underrated cover in the NIN catalog.

neorev
08-15-2018, 02:56 PM
And All That Could Have Been > The Day The World Went Away

And All That Could Have Been should have closed The Fragile in my book.

I like Ripe (With Decay), but after the two disc opus that is The Fragile, I feel it's bit of a blah ending. And All That Could Have Been is quite powerful and moving and shows in the end that he is still fragile and broken.

Kulerage
08-15-2018, 08:19 PM
And All That Could Have Been > The Day The World Went Away

And All That Could Have Been should have closed The Fragile in my book.

I like Ripe (With Decay), but after the two disc opus that is The Fragile, I feel it's bit of a blah ending. And All That Could Have Been is quite powerful and moving and shows in the end that he is still fragile and broken.
It's possible it wasn't written during The Fragile sessions, due to it being included on a release that happened a full 3 years later.

Unless it's a confirmed outtake from The Fragile

buckaroo
08-15-2018, 08:38 PM
It's possible it wasn't written during The Fragile sessions, due to it being included on a release that happened a full 3 years later.

Unless it's a confirmed outtake from The Fragile

I’m pretty sure in an interview Trent mentioned it not being part of The Fragile sessions.

Vertigo
08-16-2018, 03:25 AM
I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?

botley
08-16-2018, 06:01 AM
"Adrift and At Peace" would be, TR said it's the so-called conclusion to (and probably originally was recorded as a variation on) "La Mer", though that's it as far as official confirmation goes. The other original tracks were all started and finished in 2001 as far as we know.

snaapz
08-16-2018, 08:10 AM
How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh

BRoswell
08-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
08-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake

snaapz
08-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Wow spotify is hitting me with NIN style songs today; and some similarities....

FRONT 242 - Tragedy >For You<

SOUNDS LIKE

'Happiness In Slavery - Remix' (Fixed) starting at 1:50

fillow
08-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
Hillebrandt is listed for tdtwwa which was recorded in 2000

ricardo
08-16-2018, 03:22 PM
My YT page had this today and thought it was cool:

https://imgur.com/a/31VB616

neorev
08-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Can't wait for a Still reissue remaster so I can make my own Fragile expanded. Also need Things Falling Apart reissued and remastered.

seasonsinthesky
08-16-2018, 07:15 PM

Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.

buckaroo
08-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.

There was a Direct TV interview from 2002. I thought it was in that interview where he mentioned recording it after the tour. I skimmed through it on YouTube, but didn’t hear that part. Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I feel like it was longer when I saw it originally than what is on YouTube.

fillow
08-17-2018, 12:06 AM
Hillebrandt is also on Deep, fwiw

botley
08-17-2018, 10:47 AM
It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s6SDmNuCria6TElHhQAyLJt87Yg6CxE2/view?usp=sharing) this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.

eversonpoe
08-17-2018, 01:11 PM
It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s6SDmNuCria6TElHhQAyLJt87Yg6CxE2/view?usp=sharing) this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.

i had that same thought and then never got around to investigating it so THANK YOU!!!

bobbie solo
08-17-2018, 01:43 PM

you are a gentleman & a scholar.

wizfan
08-17-2018, 07:54 PM

oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.

botley
08-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Maybe, in the end, the real Bad Witch is dat saaaax.

fishtifer
08-18-2018, 04:43 PM
oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.

I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.

wizfan
08-18-2018, 05:54 PM
I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.

We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.

zecho
08-18-2018, 06:26 PM
We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.

The straw sound isn't the same as what he does with the sax. The bug noises are sax, the straw noises we still don't know. They play them pre-recorded live.

katara
08-19-2018, 03:17 AM
As someone who used to play a brass instrument, I thought the sax on Eraser was common knowledge. Guess I was wrong.

nooneimportant
08-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Holy shit.

I always thought it was Kinda I Want To that had some sax buried in there somewhere.

fillow
08-23-2018, 04:22 AM
I dream of NIN tour with Dave Grohl on drums.

Haysey_Draws
08-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.

Fuck, i almost forgot about that One Hour Photo Score that never was!

BRoswell
08-24-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm curious if "the makeup hides the bruise" in "Branches/Bones" is a possible reference to "Hand Covers Bruise" in the score for "The Social Network".

elevenism
08-24-2018, 08:16 PM
I'm curious if "the makeup hides the bruise" in "Branches/Bones" is a possible reference to "Hand Covers Bruise" in the score for "The Social Network".i feel like they almost have to at least come from the same line of thought, you know? It's sort of the same image. I definitely thought about that immediately.

Reaps
08-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Sitting here imagining NIN performing Clouser's versions of Ruiner and Heresy Live.. Oh My!

katara
08-25-2018, 08:03 AM
I'm curious if "the makeup hides the bruise" in "Branches/Bones" is a possible reference to "Hand Covers Bruise" in the score for "The Social Network".

It's possible. It may also be Trent assuming the persona of someone abused. From the opposite perspective: "I left her on the bathroom floor".
This is highly likely, especially given the discovery of the schizophrenic person's blog.

Or it might simply be the broader idea of hiding yourself, wearing masks, make-up, etc.

nmitchell86
08-25-2018, 12:51 PM
How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh

This is pretty dope! Thanks for the share.

Detunez
08-26-2018, 03:29 PM
The official NIN Vimeo account remains a true goldmine. I wish they would upload some new stuff to that account.
https://vimeo.com/ninofficial

snaapz
08-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Together... 'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

StockAvuryah
08-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Together... 'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

Fred
08-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Together... 'And All That Could Have Been' (Still) is the best song Trent has ever written.

I fixed that for ya.

Ribbitman
08-28-2018, 03:03 PM
I'm Not From This World has grown on me so much

Nellyrific
08-28-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm Not From This World has grown on me so much

I love the entire thing but this is definitely my favorite on the album.

Ribbitman
08-29-2018, 06:19 AM
So I read this on the wiki for I'm Not From This World

Although an instrumental, the following lyrics are embedded in the digital version, and can very faintly be heard in the song. They seem to reference the additional, unsung lyrics from "God Break Down The Door (http://www.nin.wiki/God_Break_Down_The_Door)".

I'm Not From This World
Not Anymore

where do you hear this in the song?

zecho
08-29-2018, 02:56 PM
So I read this on the wiki for I'm Not From This World

Although an instrumental, the following lyrics are embedded in the digital version, and can very faintly be heard in the song. They seem to reference the additional, unsung lyrics from "God Break Down The Door (http://www.nin.wiki/God_Break_Down_The_Door)".

I'm Not From This World
Not Anymore

where do you hear this in the song?

Nowhere. People convinced themselves that some of the looping samples said it during the quiet parts, but it's not there. I can't seem to find the threads now, but they also thought they could understand the quiet part of Shit Mirror which is really just unintelligible whispering.

Edit: I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Arcspiral
08-29-2018, 03:39 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the other vinyl reissues (and Patriots Day) are ever gonna see the light of day. The majority of those were announced in December '16, yet there hasn't been any news about them aside from the test pressing picture of Patriots Day from Lakeshore a few months back. I thought for sure a release day would be announced for the holidays last year, but nothing. Then I thought we might have gotten a release schedule when the tour was announced, but still nothing. I wonder if they have been put on the backburner for the time being seeing as the first round of reissues had a pretty rough rollout.

Luckily, I own original pressings of everything that's been released, but I really loved getting the DE's with the expanded liner notes/essays. That being said, I still haven't listened to Patriots Day yet. I'd really like to dig in to it, but I've been trying to hold off til it's spinning on my turntable. Hopefully we get some news soon.

Steven
08-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Corey Taylor's vocals really remind me of Trent sometimes.

Lerxto
08-29-2018, 11:48 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the other vinyl reissues (and Patriots Day) are ever gonna see the light of day. The majority of those were announced in December '16, yet there hasn't been any news about them aside from the test pressing picture of Patriots Day from Lakeshore a few months back. I thought for sure a release day would be announced for the holidays last year, but nothing. Then I thought we might have gotten a release schedule when the tour was announced, but still nothing. I wonder if they have been put on the backburner for the time being seeing as the first round of reissues had a pretty rough rollout.

Luckily, I own original pressings of everything that's been released, but I really loved getting the DE's with the expanded liner notes/essays. That being said, I still haven't listened to Patriots Day yet. I'd really like to dig in to it, but I've been trying to hold off til it's spinning on my turntable. Hopefully we get some news soon.
They were pretty certain that the vinyl DEs and the Patriots Day vinyl are coming out.
And I do agree we should've gotten the announcement at least around the time Asian leg was over. Patriots Day announcement is long overdue since that one is 100% ready to go.
Maybe Trent is not happy with the test pressings, or there could be stuff that should be ready to go with the next batch of vinyl reissues but we don't know yet, such as Deviations 2.

loopcloses
08-30-2018, 09:10 PM
I just wanna say I'm so happy "Somewhat Damaged" has become an opening staple to the extent it has. It's the only song I'm aware of to consistently open shows across several tours, in support of several different record. It's always Branches/Bones, or before that Copy of A, or before that 1,000,000, or it could be 10+ years old Somewhat Damaged. Not bad for a relative deep cut.

klyrish
08-31-2018, 02:21 PM
I just wanna say I'm so happy "Somewhat Damaged" has become an opening staple to the extent it has. It's the only song I'm aware of to consistently open shows across several tours, in support of several different record. It's always Branches/Bones, or before that Copy of A, or before that 1,000,000, or it could be 10+ years old Somewhat Damaged. Not bad for a relative deep cut.
It's tied with La Mer as my favorite song of all-time. The lyrics summed up a pretty dark period for most of my 20s and still seem to be extremely poignant to my life now for different reasons. I love the build, I love the increasing intensity for the entire song--it's like one enormous build for the entire duration--I love the rage/hate/hurt that's always teetering on the edge of a full-blown meltdown, I love how it's evolved over the years to become almost a different song while remaining the same.

I'm going to take a stand and declare the December 1, 1999 performance from Brixton Academy as the absolute best version of the song. I feel confident stating that after listening to most, if not all, known recordings of Somewhat Damaged multiple times each. Like virtually every other NIN song, the live version's human element makes it feel more organic, visceral, and engaging. This performance is so intense that I can't help but whisper-scream along, getting entirely into the ever-building energy every single time.

The guitars are so thick and have that treble edge that's so iconically NIN. Robin's guitar work during the chorus is my favorite part of the entire performance. That little hammer on/off he does for the first two bars of the chorus is kind of a background layer to the song in the studio and even live but listen to any performance from 2006 or 2007 with Aaron on guitar. He doesn't play that part and the chorus legitimately feels empty without it. I almost cried I was so happy when I heard the first performance of the song in 2009 with Robin back on guitar.

While I wish Trent's vocals were harsher in some spots to be closer to or even surpassing the album's delivery, they're just about perfect--especially in the bridge, with Trent's voice naturally progressing from a soft croon to vitriolic scream before the entire band explodes into the unrestrained reprise.

Jerome's drumming is perfect. He's never been one to deviate far from the studio drumming but he adds just enough in his interpretation to make the studio version feel incomplete to me. The double snare hits and 4- and 8- hit rolls in the chorus are minor but so necessary after hearing them in there. The kick drum during the bridge build up to the reprise is anything but flashy but it's the perfect punctuation to the vocals and helps with that restrained build. I don't like Ilan's drumming during this portion of the song from 2009 on. He just doesn't bring the same sense of rising intensity and the fact he's doing a 4/4 kick/snare beat diminishes the impact of the drumming in the reprise. In Jerome's interpretation, it's all kick the entire build and the crack of the snare is perfectly timed with the "how" in "...then my head fell apart and where were you? How could I..." And then adding a kick on every beat for the final two bars of the reprise is such a minor thing but makes the final portion of the song feel even more frenetic and out of control.

This performance simultaneously makes me so fucking angry that Somewhat Damaged wasn't included on AATCHB. I legitimately cannot believe it was skipped over but thankfully this is an FM source so the quality is amazing.

EDIT: holy shit, I am a nerd.

ryanmcfly
08-31-2018, 02:30 PM
EDIT: holy shit, I am a nerd.

Trust me, I've listened to about 100 different live versions of that one and Me, I'm Not. My all time favorite Somewhat Damaged has to be the Roskilde one. The audio mix is soooo good. I also love the Made in America 2013 one as well. But that's more so for personal reasons, I was at that show, and after Me I'm not, I expected a pretty cookie cutter second half of the set. Once the chirping started, I looked at my wife with probably the stupidest smile I've ever made. Did not expect that one there at all.

klyrish
08-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Trust me, I've listened to about 100 different live versions of that one and Me, I'm Not. My all time favorite Somewhat Damaged has to be the Roskilde one. The audio mix is soooo good. I also love the Made in America 2013 one as well. But that's more so for personal reasons, I was at that show, and after Me I'm not, I expected a pretty cookie cutter second half of the set. Once the chirping started, I looked at my wife with probably the stupidest smile I've ever made. Did not expect that one there at all.
Hahahaha I love it. That's what I love so much about this community: we're all so obsessive and notice things that most people never will. You're talking about this Roskilde one, right? I have to assume so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47a_BAhp0c

It's fucking awesome and definitely one of the top performances. I just watched it and got full-body goosebumps at 3:18 when you can see the entire crowd jumping along with Trent.

My favorite performance for sentimental reasons has to be 5/29/2009. I drove down to Chicago with my NIN buddy (we've seen 10 shows together from 2005-2009) from Milwaukee and was so anxious about what the opening track was going to be and I lost it when the chirp started. You can actually hear me losing it on RyanJ's recording. At 0:14 I shout "YES" and then at 0:16-0:17 I kind of grunt a "YEAH" and at 0:21 let out a long "YEAH"

It was a very good night. :)

Fred
08-31-2018, 04:05 PM
I was at that Roskilde show and will never forget that gig. The opener was just a taste of things to come. What a fucking set. That video never fails to give me goosebumps.

It was my first NIN show out of three so far, but I’m pretty sure it’ll always be my best.

ryanmcfly
08-31-2018, 05:19 PM
The whole "then my head fell apart, and where were you" part is soooo good in that recording. Makes me forgive him fucking up the lyrics before that.

I know they did an onstage video of it from Webster Hall last summer. They just haven't released it, and I am dying to see that. That is my all time favorite show I've ever been to, well at least tied with the final Dillinger Escape Plan show.

Papagolash
09-01-2018, 12:28 AM
That girl air drumming, you know what I'm talking about.

nooneimportant
09-01-2018, 01:05 AM
Somewhat Damaged might be the best NIN opener ever.

Maybe it's Pinion, maybe it's Branches/Bones, I don't know. All three are pretty incredible.

fillow
09-01-2018, 02:10 AM
Obligatory complaint: the guitar intro (from the album version) needs to return live.

nooneimportant
09-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Obligatory complaint: the guitar intro (from the album version) needs to return live.

I don't know. I've seen a video of them playing the album version back in 1999 and it just doesn't seem right. The vibe changes and it becomes less of a "Fuck You" song and more of a "Fuck It" song, there's nothing wrong with that but I prefer the more angrier vibe of the live version.

BRoswell
09-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Somewhat Damaged might be the best NIN opener ever.

Nah, it's definitely the version of Pinion that opened the Woodstock '94 performance. Not that Somewhat Damaged is a bad opening song. It certainly gets the crowd going when they play it first, but I like the slow, uneasy ease into the set that Pinion (on its own or combined with other tracks) offers. It's like the final warning before shit goes down.

nooneimportant
09-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Nah, it's definitely the version of Pinion that opened the Woodstock '94 performance. Not that Somewhat Damaged is a bad opening song. It certainly gets the crowd going when they play it first, but I like the slow, uneasy ease into the set that Pinion (on its own or combined with other tracks) offers. It's like the final warning before shit goes down.

Pinion is great but the problem is the best version of it was from the Self Destruct era. The extended version was never a consistent thing. I know they did it back during the With Teeth era but outside of that it's been the studio version. Regardless of my opinion on that, I do think that every intro to a show is amazing anyways. Trent really knows how to play to his audience.

3knic
09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
I think that record 2a (side 3) of the vinyl version of year zero remixed is the inside of the mind of a psychotic clown that has a break down at the circus and spends the rest of his days in an isolation chamber at an institution. Thinking of it like this is the only way that I can handle the thought of physically placing the record on the player and dropping the arm down for 19 minutes of wtf. I really think that putting these songs on an album had to be Trent trolling.

C1: Capital G (Switch Remix)
C2: Me I'm Not (Olof Dreijer Remix)

r_z
09-05-2018, 08:10 AM
These remixes are pretty much in line with those guys' other music. TR probably commissioned Switch on the strength of his production on M.I.A.'s Kala, while Olof Dreijer's been releasing singles under his Oni Ayhun moniker, which were very similar in duration and style to the Me, I'm Not remix. And TR is known to be into strange and progressive electronic music, so...

Ribbitman
09-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Now that I think about it, Play The Goddamned Part is just like anxiety attack

botley
09-06-2018, 03:43 PM
I think that record 2a (side 3) of the vinyl version of year zero remixed is the inside of the mind of a psychotic clown that has a break down at the circus and spends the rest of his days in an isolation chamber at an institution. Thinking of it like this is the only way that I can handle the thought of physically placing the record on the player and dropping the arm down for 19 minutes of wtf. I really think that putting these songs on an album had to be Trent trolling.

C1: Capital G (Switch Remix)
C2: Me I'm Not (Olof Dreijer Remix)
I think that's my favourite side of the album, honestly. I actually have Rob Sheridan's promo vinyl copy of YZR, he got rid of it in that big eBay sale last year...

katara
09-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Now that I think about it, Play The Goddamned Part is just like anxiety attack
This is the entire trilogy for me.

Steven
09-06-2018, 04:50 PM
now that I've listened to Burning Bright and Bad Witch so much, I really need more industrial-shoegaze or industrial-jazz type music. Anyone have any recommendations?

3knic
09-06-2018, 04:57 PM
I think that's my favourite side of the album, honestly. I actually have Rob Sheridan's promo vinyl copy of YZR, he got rid of it in that big eBay sale last year...
I'm sure we all have different musical preferences (besides NIN in general being there) so I could understand how people would enjoy listening to that side. I tend to skip it pretty regularly when listening to that vinyl but I'm glad to hear somebody enjoys it! My favorite side is probably record 3 side A. That fennesz remix is amazing.

Side note: that vinyl from Rob Sheridan sounds awesome. I thought I may have seen something about that sale but was not actively collecting or even active on ETS at that time. Are there any differences to the retail vinyl?

katara
09-06-2018, 05:27 PM
now that I've listened to Burning Bright and Bad Witch so much, I really need more industrial-shoegaze or industrial-jazz type music. Anyone have any recommendations?
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9zM3080jnA

botley
09-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Side note: that vinyl from Rob Sheridan sounds awesome. I thought I may have seen something about that sale but was not actively collecting or even active on ETS at that time. Are there any differences to the retail vinyl?
Nah just bragging rights... and a strike through the barcode ;)

Fred
09-07-2018, 12:58 AM

Try out Shining. Specifically their album Blackjazz.

https://youtu.be/bcByOcm2YUo

ultimatebdp
09-07-2018, 02:58 PM
After hearing TR talk about the ARG overshadowing the music on YZ, I really hope YZ gets the “Deviations-treatment.” The instrumentals on YouTube are amazing and have forced me to listen to it in a different way. It’s refreshing to just hear the music and not focus on the vocals and/or storyline. Now we just need a mastered version, TR!!
Check these out...

God Given (Instrumental)
https://youtu.be/SP6l38obrBo

Capital G (Instrumental)
https://youtu.be/o5jfS796_FM

katara
09-07-2018, 03:22 PM
After hearing TR talk about the ARG overshadowing the music on YZ, I really hope YZ gets the “Deviations-treatment.” The instrumentals on YouTube are amazing and have forced me to listen to it in a different way. It’s refreshing to just hear the music and not focus on the vocals and/or storyline. Now we just need a mastered version, TR!!

To be honest, I hope it's a little more than just an instrumental version of the album, mixed slightly differently. It's easy to create your own instrumentals with the multitracks.

If this were to happen, I'd want to have the entire thing remixed by TRAR in the vein of the ARG, with pieces of narrative, morse code, etc all over the place. Stuff like ballgameOver and the Star Chamber incident interspersed between. Subtle enough that it stands more than one listen.

zecho
09-07-2018, 03:32 PM

100% you need to listen to Jesu and Earth. Those are my recommendations. Especially Jesu.

fillow
09-07-2018, 04:12 PM
^^
post-reunion Swans. I'm telling you.

StockAvuryah
09-07-2018, 05:55 PM
100% you need to listen to Jesu and Earth. Those are my recommendations. Especially Jesu.

More info on that ? Rym/discogs link ?

zecho
09-07-2018, 07:22 PM
More info on that ? Rym/discogs link ?

I don't really understand what you want, but here's some songs that give you an idea of their sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE10I1Gy_y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yB0jWirtJc

nooneimportant
09-08-2018, 06:21 AM
I noticed that on the recent shows where they play "I Do Not Want This" they've brought back the spoken word parts. I'm glad they did that but what bothers me is that JMJ isn't there to hit those sweet bass lines.

StockAvuryah
09-09-2018, 01:47 PM
I don't really understand what you want, but here's some songs that give you an idea of their sounds.

Thanks a lot. I mean relatively unknown bands called Earth or Jesu are really hard to find. Those youtube vids aren't even available for me Aha.

RYM and Discogs are website which are really useful if you want to link someone to an artist and have the entire discography at their disposal, so they can search themselves for more.

zecho
09-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks a lot. I mean relatively unknown bands called Earth or Jesu are really hard to find. Those youtube vids aren't even available for me Aha.

RYM and Discogs are website which are really useful if you want to link someone to an artist and have the entire discography at their disposal, so they can search themselves for more.

Well, if it helps, here are their discogs pages:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/87270-Earth-2

https://www.discogs.com/artist/233796-Jesu

fillow
09-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Me, listening to The Background World: "I bet it ends soon... Any second now..."
*checks timer in Winamp*
*another 4 minutes left*

Every. single. time.

ryanmcfly
09-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Anyone know of where I can find an audio rip of Reptile from AATCHB?

botley
09-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Anyone know of where I can find an audio rip of Reptile from AATCHB?
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4214961/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_And_all_that_could_have_been_(_DVD_to_MP3_)

Halo Infinity
09-11-2018, 10:03 PM
One of the things I have always, still and most likely will keep loving Nine Inch Nails for is how I always feel the same exact way I felt when I listen to his works for the very first time, while growing older with the music itself and looking it at different perspectives every now and then. What also fascinates me is how analyzed, dissected and deconstructed/reconstructed (As in Easter eggs, remixes, mash-ups and covers.) his music can be and how it technically also showcases Trent's talent and creativity and how very well it often stands the test of time, thus aging well since it's like you never know what you're going to find along with each release being a unique and very highly memorable experience. That definitely still has to be among some of the biggest reasons as to why I still keep coming back for more.

I will admit that I sometimes get burnt out, but that's like with excess in anything. But it still doesn't take long for me to be reminded why I started to become a fan.

It just kept occurring to me, as I kept jumping around the NIN discography, while also thinking about Pretty Hate Machine almost becoming 30 again. It's sometimes as if it's a new experience every time. (For the reasons already mentioned.)

And with that being said...

Oh, and for the Somewhat Damaged lovers, this just made me love Somewhat Damaged even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0t-tkvB7Y4

I was also pleasantly surprised and amazed as to just how well Was It Worth It? worked alongside The Big Come Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_KemRuljBg

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-11-2018, 10:49 PM
I’m considering getting my first NIN tattoo while I’m on vacation in CO next week for the Red Rocks shows. The idea that comes to mind immediately is the Demon Seed logo (one of my favorite songs in the catalog, for sure), and I realized that the place I wanted it is in the exact same spot as the one on the ETS splash page. I can’t tell whether that happened subconsciously or not, but I don’t think it’s enough to deter me from getting it, heh. Not to mention I’d imagine something so simple could also be relatively cheap. If not that, it would probably be the boxed NIN logo somewhere, or something. I’m gonna have to float around a couple ideas in my head before I decide for sure. *buries myself in NIN artwork for a week, deciding*

One way or another, my ass is getting a NIN tattoo this year (not literally....probably...)

AHHHHHH, IT’S NIN SEASON AGAIN! So excited!

nmitchell86
09-11-2018, 11:03 PM
I’m considering getting my first NIN tattoo while I’m on vacation in CO next week for the Red Rocks shows. The idea that comes to mind immediately is the Demon Seed logo (one of my favorite songs in the catalog, for sure), and I realized that the place I wanted it is in the exact same spot as the one on the ETS splash page. I can’t tell whether that happened subconsciously or not, but I don’t think it’s enough to deter me from getting it, heh. Not to mention I’d imagine something so simple could also be relatively cheap. If not that, it would probably be the boxed NIN logo somewhere, or something. I’m gonna have to float around a couple ideas in my head before I decide for sure. *buries myself in NIN artwork for a week, deciding*

One way or another, my ass is getting a NIN tattoo this year (not literally....probably...)

AHHHHHH, IT’S NIN SEASON AGAIN! So excited!

You should look at the devotions PDF. There's a nin logo that is kind of script that would be dope! I'll post up what I'm talking about when I get on a computer, it's difcult on a phone, lol.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-11-2018, 11:18 PM
You should look at the devotions PDF. There's a nin logo that is kind of script that would be dope! I'll post up what I'm talking about when I get on a computer, it's difcult on a phone, lol.

Oh, I know EXACTLY the one you mean, which is why I’m gonna have to sift through as much stuff as I can before deciding - make sure I’m not missing something that’ll make me go “FUUUUCK I shoulda done that one.”

Then again, I’ll likely be getting one in Chicago to celebrate those shows too, so there’s still plenty of time to decide on the second one, as well.

nmitchell86
09-11-2018, 11:45 PM
This one....

nmitchell86
09-11-2018, 11:53 PM
Oh, I know EXACTLY the one you mean, which is why I’m gonna have to sift through as much stuff as I can before deciding - make sure I’m not missing something that’ll make me go “FUUUUCK I shoulda done that one.”

Then again, I’ll likely be getting one in Chicago to celebrate those shows too, so there’s still plenty of time to decide on the second one, as well.

I'll be at all three shows in Chicago. Hope to see you there! Post up in the show section!

Substance242
09-12-2018, 02:11 AM
You should look at the devotions PDF.

Yeah, devotions are the best! :-)

witte
09-12-2018, 09:26 AM
I'll be at all three shows in Chicago. Hope to see you there! Post up in the show section!

Till then.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

nmitchell86
09-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Yeah, devotions are the best! :-)

It should be a daily devotion, lol. Auto-correct on my phone doesn't always put what I mean.

Halo Infinity
09-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Every Day Is Exactly The Same is definitely one of those perfect songs to listen to when you feel like you're just merely existing and going through the motions while paying lip service day in and day out. I still have hopes and dreams, but I sometimes can't shake that general feeling, especially at night.

Anyway, I have also just realized that could be the ultimate reason as to why it's my favorite song from With Teeth, right up there with All The Love In The World. I also find myself relating to The Collector and Getting Smaller much more in the 2010s than I ever did in the 2000s.

Nostalgia aside, I think this is why I also constantly return to With Teeth as far as post-The Fragile albums go.

neorev
09-13-2018, 01:31 AM
Every Day Is Exactly The Same is definitely one of those perfect songs to listen to when you feel like you're just merely existing and going through the motions while paying lip service day in and day out. I still have hopes and dreams, but I sometimes can't shake that general feeling, especially at night.

Anyway, I have also just realized that could be the ultimate reason as to why it's my favorite song from With Teeth, right up there with All The Love In The World. I also find myself relating to The Collector and Getting Smaller much more in the 2010s than I ever did in the 2000s.

Nostalgia aside, I think this is why I also constantly return to With Teeth as far as post-The Fragile albums go.

I love the abum With Teeth, but can do without Every Day Is Exactly The Same. I don't hate it, I can tolerate it, but kinda tune it out when it comes on. I'd take Home over EDIETS if I had to choose one to go in place of another. But for me, With Teeth is still the best post-Fragile album. The next release I loved was Not The Actual Events. Those two are at the top of my post-Fragile list.

TheBang
09-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Guys, I moved a bunch of setlist spoiler-y posts to the tour discussion and spoilers thread, because there are some people who are trying to avoid spoiler about the setlists. (Though, really, they'd just need to avoid the entire NINternet.)

chuckrh
09-15-2018, 06:39 AM
not so random thought i guess but i'm bumming i can't see this tour. can't make it happen with work & money. also, travelling is tough right now. anywhere in seattle, portland, vancouver axis i would be there. first 2 setlists are unreal good. need tapes...arghhhhhhh! sorry, pain meds kicking in. babbleyon:p

Halo Infinity
09-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Aside from Closure, there also sometimes isn't anything like chilling/emotionally/mentally healing to The Fragile on the weekend as a NIN fan. :)

chuckrh
09-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Aside from Closure, there also sometimes isn't anything like chilling/emotionally/mentally healing to The Fragile on the weekend as a NIN fan. :)

either that or that final nudge at the edge of the deep green sea.... ;)

klyrish
09-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Listening to lowlight's bootleg of 9/14, I've got to say it's kind of disappointing in Mr. Self Destruct's second verse and final chorus reprise that Robin's not playing the guitar riff replicating that weird-sounding synth noise he did in 2009 for every performance of the song. MSD feels hollow and incomplete without it. :-/

Steven
09-17-2018, 11:36 PM
Ahead of Ourselves feels like Mr. Self Destruct- gone- 2018.

eversonpoe
09-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Ahead of Ourselves feels like Mr. Self Destruct- gone- 2018.

my brain always tries to mashup "ahead of ourselves" with "letting you"

Steven
09-18-2018, 01:26 PM

YES! That too, absolutely. The drum patterns/violence.

nooneimportant
09-19-2018, 05:03 AM
I really wish Trent would stop using the alternating red and blue lights during performances of Gave Up, that shit hurts my eyes and I fear it could trigger someones epilepsy.

Lerxto
09-19-2018, 06:36 AM
I really wish Trent would stop using the alternating red and blue lights during performances of Gave Up, that shit hurts my eyes and I fear it could trigger someones epilepsy.
It does, so before every show I've been to (since light shows became a thing) there's been warning signs that if you have photosensitive epilepsy you should stay far away from stage or refrain from coming up close.

BRoswell
09-19-2018, 10:27 AM

They've been doing it for almost twenty years, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. :p

theimage13
09-19-2018, 01:07 PM
[Mod note: tour spoilers]

Random thought #1: after playing Broken straight through, opening with SD into TDTWWA is such a brilliant troll job (if that was, in fact, the intention. If not...oops.)

Random thought #2: The Perfect Drug. Live. It actually fucking happened. Fuck.

fillow
09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
^^
I'm not even seeing this tour, but can we have the spoilers a little more contained for the sake of the others?

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-19-2018, 02:23 PM
The appointment to get my Demon Seed tattoo is officially set! Picture to follow. :D I'm gonna set one up for Chicago when I'm there for the Aragon shows, too. SOOO EXCITED!!

WorzelG
09-20-2018, 06:59 AM
I think its a bit ridiculous the idea of avoiding spoilers for a tour that's going on till December.

theimage13
09-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Agreed. Normally, I'd be very apologetic for breaking forum etiquette. But...I mean, it's literally a 400+ page thread of "Random NIN thoughts". I wholly expect to see any and all possibly NIN-related things in this thread.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
I think its a bit ridiculous the idea of avoiding spoilers for a tour that's going on till December.

I considered waiting patiently. What's changing my mind, though, is the sheer amount of uniqueness that every show has had so far. Reading the setlists for the first two shows didn't really spoil a lot for me, they were so different from the second two shows. But it's still early. For all we know, the songs we've seen in these four shows are mostly what we'll get for the tour, just mixed up differently, but I'm sincerely starting to think that there's going to be a small level of uniqueness to every show of the tour. The band is talented enough, the list of cities is small enough, and the number of songs at their disposal is massive enough that I think they could make something like that happen.

Edit: Random thought - Thinking about it while I listen, I'd REALLY like to hear that cover of "Zoo Station" played live. It'd be so well received by people, too! Being a U2 cover they did that really didn't get a whole ton of exposure? Maybe someday..

theimage13
09-20-2018, 04:08 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial/photos/a.10150097171211221/10156549858221221/?type=3&theater

So...just curious here. Photo credit is Kerry Asmussen.

Who is a director of a number of live concert videos.

Is something in the works?

Kyle
09-20-2018, 04:16 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial/photos/a.10150097171211221/10156549858221221/?type=3&theater

So...just curious here. Photo credit is Kerry Asmussen.

Who is a director of a number of live concert videos.

Is something in the works?

"In the works" just like the Tension Blu-Ray and the Wave Goodbye footage

TheBang
09-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Interestingly, Kerry Asmussen is the director of the Staples Center Tension concert. And, I believe, also the Dallas show from 2014.

So, I think that just confirms that this tour is being filmed for a release that will never happen.

WorzelG
09-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Interestingly, Kerry Asmussen is the director of the Staples Center Tension concert. And, I believe, also the Dallas show from 2014.

So, I think that just confirms that this tour is being filmed for a release that will never happen.
He’s the one that posted that sad hopeful post about the Tension Blu-ray in a guns n Roses forum and he’s back for more frustration and disappointment with his work not seeing the light of day? Poor guy

buckaroo
09-21-2018, 08:26 AM

I am still sort of holding out hope that all of this archival footage will be released in some huge documentary style set some day.

Deacon Blackfire
09-21-2018, 09:50 PM
I too have fancifully dreamed of the same. Hard to imagine it happening but I would be willing to pay a ridiculous price for it.

AThousandDaysBefore
09-21-2018, 11:03 PM

If this is going to be the last tour ever, they should release a 20 dvd/blu rays box set with concerts of all the eras
come on Trent you want this
We want this
this is a win-win situation

chuckrh
09-22-2018, 04:28 AM
the 1 good thing from an absolutely shitty week: yesterday i found a used copy of the "with teeth" tour edition. surround sound mix on 2nd disc. this one got by me when it came out. sounds fantastic. i had forgotten dave grohl played on the album. think i like the songs more now than i did when it first came out. lot of really good, strong material that has aged well. i saw the tour & it was fantastic. i've read about aaron north & how some shows it wasn't working with him. the show i saw he was fantastic. crazy but playing really well. i've watched beside you in time recently & its pretty amazing just how revolutionary the presentation was on that tour. much like roger waters, trent seems to have a deft touch with that aspect. when i saw NIN last october even though it was more stripped down, the "show" was still very effective. i have a friend in spain who is a visual artist & he was blown away by this year's set at mad cool. musically & visually. anyway, finding the surround sound mix was a much needed pick me up.

BenAkenobi
09-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Had a dream last night where i picked up a pretty hate machine CD at a street corner sale in an unfamiliar city. There was a crowd going that street so probably i was imagining going to a nin show. Not sure what to do with that CD, perhaps i was hoping to get a sig or something :D

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Apologies for the size, but I’m about to hit the road back home and don’t have time to make something smaller on the fly. Final product looks a little curved toward the bottom in the picture, but I assure you that’s just the angle of my arm. I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER WITH IT! I considered doing something TPD-related to commemorate the Red Rocks shows, but the plan is to get “2018.09.17-18” or something similar in a tiny font down on the very bottom later on, so that’ll be close enough. I’ve wanted this design on my body for a decade, after The Slip was released to us on my 18th birthday, May 5, 2008, so that’s why I went with this instead.

Uploaded a third image because it looked really awesome and fitting with just the little bit of bleeding it did around the black. Probably gonna have real red added to it later down the line, but first, I’m gonna get a second piece done when I get to Chicago next month. HAPPY NIN SEASON, Y’ALL!

http://i.imgur.com/OtF1NUn.jpg

(I guess the placement also makes me an officially marked member of ETS now, eh?)

ChipRock
09-23-2018, 02:09 AM
Okay so my memory is generally bad so I'm not able to be more specific, but around about now is my 25th anniversary of being a Nine Inch Nails fan. It has only just occured to me, but after seeing them in London earlier this year, and still enjoying the cuss out if new music, on top of following the current US tour online, well, I feel proud to be a fan after all these years. There were a few weird times when I lost touch a bit, but yeah, #ninforlife or whatever.

curbes
09-23-2018, 02:45 AM
new NIN tribute album, free download.. https://tribulations1.bandcamp.com/album/were-in-this-togother

Halo Infinity
09-23-2018, 06:57 AM
I know this is nothing compared to fans that have been around since 1989-1994, but as always, man how time flies. To think that The Fragile was only 3 years old when I first became a fan, and now it's already 19, soon to meet its 20th anniversary. I also know that's life and all, but still.

Anyway, I've always been, and still have been fascinated about the journey and overall experiences of Nine Inch Nails from 1994-2006. This isn't to say that the other parts weren't interesting or important either, but I'm always drawn to that part of his journey. (Perhaps because I can relate to some of it based on a few things Trent said in some of the interviews, aside from the music itself, or how some musicians end up to the point of no return with patterns like that, but he, especially as of right now more than defeated the odds and then some.) It has also somehow lead me to separate it into a story from The Downward Spiral to With Teeth.

sheepdean
09-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Has anyone got a group photo of all 10 Slip pieces (11 if you count the NIN design) assembled as tattoos across people? Seen a few Demon Seeds, LITS/CR, Disciplines and Echoplexes out there, was wondering if anyone's attempted a meetup

Halo Infinity
09-23-2018, 02:46 PM
For quite some time my brain also tried to do that with The Big Come Down [2:31]/[3:06] and Meet Your Master [2:36]/[2:59].

As well as Gave Up [2:54] and With Teeth [4:19].

Steven
09-23-2018, 03:11 PM
I really love the aesthetic of Bad Witch and Not The Actual Events. Black/white/gray tones with unfriendly art.

chuckrh
09-24-2018, 06:47 AM
1 would thing that a surround sound mix of the fragile would be stellar

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Looking at the pay schedule for the next 3 months like:

”...You know...If I plan it right, I bet I could make it to at least TWO of the Los Angeles shows...”

neorev
09-24-2018, 02:32 PM
I think 2019 will see more from The Fragile in honor of its 20th anniversary. Possibly the 5.1 release finally, more than likely Still and And All That Could Have Been reissues. I would love to see Still and Things Falling Apart perhaps combined into some release with additional material. A cool collection of stripped down Still versions, remixes, and additional material.

teitan
Things Still Falling Apart

Eh? Get it, get it? ;)
Think about it, T

Kulerage
09-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Can't wait for the show I'm seeing

now to avoid any further Tour spoilers, I've already heard too much

eachpassingphase
09-25-2018, 10:55 AM
So I know Year Zero was already a game of sorts, but my husband and I were musing today about how it would be cool if the YZ story was turned into a role playing tabletop game in the spirit of D&D, Shadowrun, All Flesh Must Be Eaten etc.

Tabletop games have blown up in popularity lately anyway, so I think it would do well. Especially with Trent’s recent emphasis on in-person, community experiences. I feel like tabletop games are good for that. Since the show didn’t work out I’m just dying to see the story retold again in some format, be it a game or a podcast storyline or something. When I try to explain the plot to friends (or my husband who is just now getting into NIN) I find myself wishing there was another way to lay it out for them.

sick among the pure
09-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Songs I would love to see come back to the live rotation: The Mark Has Been Made. I love the live ending they gave it on AATCHB and would lose my shit to get that live.

virushopper
09-29-2018, 01:40 AM
I hope this upcoming Premier Guitar Rig Rundown with Alessandro and Robin is as detailed as the one they did with A Perfect Circle.

Halo Infinity
09-29-2018, 07:33 PM
This occurred to me when I was listening to Fear Factory again, and I was wondering how much of an influence Nine Inch Nails had on them, especially on the possibility of Broken and The Downward Spiral having such a tremendous impact on inspiring Demanufacture and Obsolete. I'm also aware that Burton C Bell and Dino Cazares are also fans of Trent Reznor, and it was also pretty cool to see Burton C Bell wearing a NIN cap while performing Pisschrist, especially when knowing exactly just how songs like Terrible Lie and Heresy also made me feel when performed live. (And this isn't to say that NIN is the only influence on FF either, but they seemed like one of the larger ones at the time, for sure.)

I also didn't know why it took me until now to mention this, but the album cover on Obsolete also reminds me of Closure.

Soul of a New Machine, as in the album art (Or even the album art on Demanufacture for that matter.) seems like it can go well with some of Pretty Hate Machine's artwork too, and has reminded me that both album titles have the word machine in it. I never really got to see Trent's opinions on Fear Factory though, and have wondered if there is also an immense crossover of NIN and FF fans. (Which I'm sure there is based off of what I've seen on the Internet. It's just that I don't really know that many rock fans, let alone fans of those actual bands in real life.)

Alabaster Creature
09-30-2018, 05:48 PM
So I know Year Zero was already a game of sorts, but my husband and I were musing today about how it would be cool if the YZ story was turned into a role playing tabletop game in the spirit of D&D, Shadowrun, All Flesh Must Be Eaten etc.

Tabletop games have blown up in popularity lately anyway, so I think it would do well. Especially with Trent’s recent emphasis on in-person, community experiences. I feel like tabletop games are good for that. Since the show didn’t work out I’m just dying to see the story retold again in some format, be it a game or a podcast storyline or something. When I try to explain the plot to friends (or my husband who is just now getting into NIN) I find myself wishing there was another way to lay it out for them.

I do not imagine the end product is really what you would want from this idea: but this has been attempted. At some point a fan (or fans) hacked together a bare bones adaptation using the Chaosium System you would know from Call of Cthulhu. You can find it here (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Year_Zero).

The link is to a chan-culture site, so expect all of that baggage, even if the link above is basically clean.

StockAvuryah
10-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Could Year Zero be considered Synth Punk ? It's go synth.. it's political.. it's quite harsh.. and the whole ARG is very punk.

(I'm asking because of a rateyourmusic tag)

zecho
10-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Could Year Zero be considered Synth Punk ? It's go synth.. it's political.. it's quite harsh.. and the whole ARG is very punk.

(I'm asking because of a rateyourmusic tag)

I wouldn't say so. It doesn't really fit any of the characteristics of punk music at all, in any way, shape, or form. The closest it ever gets is Survivalism, and even that isn't punk.

StockAvuryah
10-02-2018, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't say so. It doesn't really fit any of the characteristics of punk music at all, in any way, shape, or form. The closest it ever gets is Survivalism, and even that isn't punk.

I mean there's punk and punk. The original term and the aesthetic. And it's more the latter that is understood when talking of something as vague as this (rym definition is harsh elements of punk rock applied with synths). Plus it's aggressive and political while started in a restrained kind of way (one laptop and their imagination)

zecho
10-02-2018, 12:15 PM
I mean there's punk and punk. The original term and the aesthetic. And it's more the latter that is understood when talking of something as vague as this (rym definition is harsh elements of punk rock applied with synths). Plus it's aggressive and political while started in a restrained kind of way (one laptop and their imagination)

I'd still vote no. I get what you're saying, and I can kind of see it, but it just seems too far removed. I'd say Suicide and The Screamers are great examples of what I think of when I think of synth punk, and I would even say bands like Death Grips and Atari Teenage Riot could fall into that category, though it would be pushing it. Obviously genre is mostly a subjective thing, especially when it comes to things this vague, but I don't think there's really a punk sound or feel to it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Broken would be a closer candidate than Year Zero, though still not quite there in my eyes.

dedevoce
10-02-2018, 12:46 PM
I think there will be a new studio album in the first quarter of 2019.

ryanmcfly
10-02-2018, 01:36 PM
I think there will be a new studio album in the first quarter of 2019.

I lowkey think we are getting an album next year. but i doubt it would be that early.

Steven
10-02-2018, 02:40 PM
What the hell would the next album sound like do you guys think? Because I have no idea where Trent and Atticus move on from here. I would love any new material from them but I feel like they have accomplished so much it's hard to keep innovating.

sweeterthan
10-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I hope they keep going with the noisy art project approach. It’s been fun so far.

ryanmcfly
10-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Could see them go for a more subdued approach like A Minute to Breathe.

Max
10-02-2018, 06:14 PM
I think it’s going to be a while before another album if there is another one at all. Why?
1. They just completed over two years of major studio commitments to NIN, and delivered a ton of work to us to chew on for a while. It’s hard to come up with all that in addition to soundtracks.
2. This is like the tour to end all tours, they are playing EVERY deep cut ever. Feels like they might be getting that out of hair system too.
3. He’s been tending to his legacy in the themes of his work, in the remastered albums, etc. A lot of looking back. Like he’s at the end of this thing. Where do you go after that? Likely forward to something totally different, maybe even a different band.

I think if anything I would expect some kind of major break, or some hard left turn. Maybe a few years off, exploring other kinds of projects - maybe me might do a film or TV or some other kind of artistic pursuit. Maybe a new band. Maybe producing other people. Who knows. As an artist I know how you need to keep switching things up to have something to come back to that’s worth creating. He’s done that before. He seems like the type to leave people wanting more.

I predict no new NIN albums for at least two years, if ever again. That’s my take.

Steven
10-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Bad Witch and the Trilogy in general, to me at least, seem to wrap up all of NIN's history and sound so well that I wouldn't be done with life if this was the end of NIN, but I certainly would LOVE more if they TR/AR were still into it.

dedevoce
10-03-2018, 12:59 AM
I think whenever we have thought that NIN has reached its peak, run out of ways to be innovative, and come to an end, they have always surprised us. :p

What the hell would the next album sound like do you guys think?

A lot of variety to the sounds and more on the philosophical bent lyrically would be my vote. Betcha a chocolate cupcake with fudge filling and sprinkles that they are already working on the music. :rolleyes:

WorzelG
10-03-2018, 02:27 AM
I think it’s going to be a while before another album if there is another one at all. Why?
1. They just completed over two years of major studio commitments to NIN, and delivered a ton of work to us to chew on for a while. It’s hard to come up with all that in addition to soundtracks.
2. This is like the tour to end all tours, they are playing EVERY deep cut ever. Feels like they might be getting that out of hair system too.
3. He’s been tending to his legacy in the themes of his work, in the remastered albums, etc. A lot of looking back. Like he’s at the end of this thing. Where do you go after that? Likely forward to something totally different, maybe even a different band.

I think if anything I would expect some kind of major break, or some hard left turn. Maybe a few years off, exploring other kinds of projects - maybe me might do a film or TV or some other kind of artistic pursuit. Maybe a new band. Maybe producing other people. Who knows. As an artist I know how you need to keep switching things up to have something to come back to that’s worth creating. He’s done that before. He seems like the type to leave people wanting more.

I predict no new NIN albums for at least two years, if ever again. That’s my take.
Trent just said at a show that they’re not going away

StockAvuryah
10-03-2018, 06:49 AM
I'd still vote no. I get what you're saying, and I can kind of see it, but it just seems too far removed. I'd say Suicide and The Screamers are great examples of what I think of when I think of synth punk, and I would even say bands like Death Grips and Atari Teenage Riot could fall into that category, though it would be pushing it. Obviously genre is mostly a subjective thing, especially when it comes to things this vague, but I don't think there's really a punk sound or feel to it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Broken would be a closer candidate than Year Zero, though still not quite there in my eyes.

Well if it's just about how we feel, there is no vote, it just sometimes is, sometimes isn't..

elevenism
10-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I know one thing: I'm definitely expecting a Year Zero sequel.

Eventually, and I've said this before, I sort of expect NIN to go into Still mode.
That would be an awesome way to age gracefully.

buckaroo
10-03-2018, 09:15 AM
I know one thing: I'm definitely expecting a Year Zero sequel.

I hadn't thought about the whole Year Zero thing in a while until the announcement about Watchmen... seems like the perfect stepping stone into considering YZ2 and a possible series again with the parties involved.

snaapz
10-03-2018, 09:35 AM
There will be no YZ2; TRI is the closest we will get.

My guess is that the next album will be.... HTDA. MQ must be ready by now and in need of a creative burst, I'm surprised she's gone this long. Must be hard for an artist to go this long without producing; maybe she's been writing; I'd love some updates.

My guess the next NIN album will be in 4-5 years and will be more structured and less abstract and venturous than TRI.

nmitchell86
10-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't a Year Zero sequel technically be Year One? j/k... with current administration it feels like Year One Million, it just never seems to end. Every Tweet. Every Headline.

eachpassingphase
10-03-2018, 12:06 PM
There will be no YZ2; TRI is the closest we will get.

My guess is that the next album will be.... HTDA. MQ must be ready by now and in need of a creative burst, I'm surprised she's gone this long. Must be hard for an artist to go this long without producing; maybe she's been writing; I'd love some updates.

Man, that would make my year. I got into HTDA too late, I had a lot going on and didn’t bother to check out any of the music when it was first coming out. Then I stumbled upon a YouTube video of them playing in Chicago and was immediately sold on the project. But by that time they were already done touring and I was bummed to not see them live.

I really like her vocals a lot and would love to hear more, but she seems to keep busy. She mentioned something on Instagram about taking some courses at an art school, which is pretty cool.