PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Volk
02-05-2018, 06:16 PM
What the fuck is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwXVEzfIzpo
apologies if it's been posted before. I don't have time to search.

Sister Midnight
02-05-2018, 06:18 PM
what the fuck is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwxvezfizpo
apologies if it's been posted before. I don't have time to search.

do not click on this link you can not un hear this !!!!!!

thevoid99
02-05-2018, 06:20 PM
That Atlanta show was when the fan club tickets got fucked up. They said go to will call but the tickets were on the other side of venue.

I didn't know that and that shit sucked. I bought my tickets through Ticketmaster months earlier.

sweeterthan
02-05-2018, 06:23 PM
I didn't know that and that shit sucked. I bought my tickets through Ticketmaster months earlier.

It was a weird thing. Do you go to this venue a lot ? I’ve gone there all my life and will call was always on the left side of the venue. That was the main entrance. There’s another entrance on the other side of the venue and the fan club tickets were there. I’ll never forget standing outside while nin started playing. I was like nooooooooooo!

thevoid99
02-05-2018, 06:36 PM
It was a weird thing. Do you go to this venue a lot ? I’ve gone there all my life and will call was always on the left side of the venue. That was the main entrance. There’s another entrance on the other side of the venue and the fan club tickets were there. I’ll never forget standing outside while nin started playing. I was like nooooooooooo!

I think that was the last time I went to that venue. I don't go to a lot of shows. I've seen NIN twice at the Lakewood Amphitheater in 2006 and 2009 plus Pearl Jam in 2003, the Cure in 2000, and some of Lollapalooza '95. I never had problems with that but it's just gone through so many changes in name and such. It's terrible.

snichols
02-05-2018, 06:44 PM
THIS however is fucking gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPqsslsZhLw

sweeterthan
02-05-2018, 06:51 PM
I think that was the last time I went to that venue. I don't go to a lot of shows. I've seen NIN twice at the Lakewood Amphitheater in 2006 and 2009 plus Pearl Jam in 2003, the Cure in 2000, and some of Lollapalooza '95. I never had problems with that but it's just gone through so many changes in name and such. It's terrible.

I’ve seen tons of shows there. Nine inch nails at least 5 or 6 times. I don’t know where the fuck up occurred that day. 🤷♀️ it was bad but it was fine in the end.

I did get to go to the 99x backstage nin performance at Lakewood in 2006 which remains one of the coolest things to happen to me. It was me and about 11 people. They took us in a room and we sat on the floor. Trent sat at table and peter Murphy had a mic. It was broadcasted live in the radio. My friends were listening. ets was listening. Trent was really nice to me. I almost passed out. Perhaps my favorite nin memory ever. ❤️

(Off topic my parents took me to see Elton john at Lakewood in 1990. My first real concert.)

Vertigo
02-05-2018, 07:32 PM
JA is a band I loved mid 90s but I just can't dig anymore. Might be all the personalities involved.

Similar situation here. My peak Jane's fandom was a while after yours, but at some point I lost most of my interest almost overnight, like a lightswitch was flipped. Ritual De Lo Habitual was my very favourite album a few years ago, but now the hooks just don't work like they used to. Very strange.

Krazy
02-05-2018, 07:38 PM
I’ve seen tons of shows there. Nine inch nails at least 5 or 6 times. I don’t know where the fuck up occurred that day. 路♀️ it was bad but it was fine in the end.

I did get to go to the 99x backstage nin performance at Lakewood in 2006 which remains one of the coolest things to happen to me. It was me and about 11 people. They took us in a room and we sat on the floor. Trent sat at table and peter Murphy had a mic. It was broadcasted live in the radio. My friends were listening. ets was listening. Trent was really nice to me. I almost passed out. Perhaps my favorite nin memory ever. ❤️

(Off topic my parents took me to see Elton john at Lakewood in 1990. My first real concert.)

Didn’t a vast majority of pre-sale fans get screwed out of seeing the first few NIN songs due to the fuck up? Correct me if I’m wrong with that. I think Trent went on social media in a future attempt to “make things right” but never followed up on it.

sweeterthan
02-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Didn’t a vast majority of pre-sale fans get screwed out of seeing the first few NIN songs due to the fuck up? Correct me if I’m wrong with that. I think Trent went on social media in a future attempt to “make things right” but never followed up on it.

He followed up. He was true to his word. It was really cool. People love to think he’s an asshole but he’s has a good heart and connects with so many fans. There’s tons of experiences we’ve heard about but I bet he does way more for his fans than we’ll ever know.

Krazy
02-05-2018, 07:59 PM
He followed up. He was true to his word. It was really cool. People love to think he’s an asshole but he’s has a good heart and connects with so many fans. There’s tons of experiences we’ve heard about but I bet he does way more for his fans than we’ll ever know.

Oh, god- I never meant that! Trent definitely is one of the better musicians that connects to his fans. I was more active on the NIN dot com forum at the time and months went by without him following up on his word about “making the situation right” IIRC (ie: people not happy about it or a response from the NIN camp). As far as I recall he just let the situation slide by. What did happen as far as a follow up with that Atlanta fiasco?...

sweeterthan
02-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Oh, god- I never meant that! Trent definitely is one of the better musicians that connects to his fans. I was more active on the NIN dot com forum at the time and months went by without him following up on his word about “making the situation right” IIRC (ie: people not happy about it or a response from the NIN camp). As far as I recall he just let the situation slide by. What did happen as far as a follow up with that Atlanta fiasco?...

I didn’t think you meant that. I feel like, in general, his angry rocker persona of the past and his public feuds might shape the idea for casual or non fans that he’s callous and uncaring. Most fans know he’s a softee.

They told us Atlanta kids not to post about it online and as far as I know, no one has. I don’t know why. But I will tell you they went out of their way. There was no obligation to do that. He made it happen. I will never forget.

Lerxto
02-05-2018, 10:18 PM
This radio silence from the band is killing me. When will you take my money, Trent?
I'm ready for them reissues!

iamclassic
02-05-2018, 10:54 PM
This radio silence from the band is killing me. When will you take my money, Trent?
I'm ready for them reissues!

https://isstillonvinylyet.info/

Dimitri.
02-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Just noticed, in the chorus of In This Twilight : "We can find a better place" / in The Background World : "There is no better place"

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-07-2018, 09:12 PM
"While I'm Still Here" is fucking great.

For the record (heh), I'd absolutely pay $40 and wait 6 months again for Still on vinyl. No shame.

astfgyl
02-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Robin Fincks' legs are hilarious.

And All That Could Have Been is an extremely apt title for the live album, as it could have been so much better. No Somewhat Damaged, Even Deeper, The Way Out is Through, to name a couple of reasons.

The Downward Spiral live is a beast of a song. (Insofar as I can know that from youtube videos)

seasonsinthesky
02-08-2018, 11:45 AM
The Downward Spiral live is a beast of a song. (Insofar as I can know that from youtube videos)

It really sucks that it wasn't included with the proshot footage on Closure. They used all the songs around it from the show (Eraser/Hurt/Wish) but cut the end of Hurt right as TDS is starting. Bizarre decision, considering it's the focal point of the show with the scrim filling with blood and dropping – I assume someone wasn't happy with the footage they got.

katara
02-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Can confirm it is awesome.

Kulerage
02-08-2018, 06:18 PM
For the record (heh), I'd absolutely pay $40 and wait 6 months again for Still on vinyl. No shame.
One of my absolute favorite albums of any artist. I'd wait a YEAR if it meant getting Still

chuckrh
02-09-2018, 06:21 AM
I have trouble spending money on myself for the most part. I got my tax refund & splurged a little this morning. Ordered a "ghost trees" shirt & a zip up hoodie. I bought a shirt & hat @ the Vegas show & was pretty happy with the quality & design. A nice belated birthday (2 weeks ago) present to myself. :)

fishtifer
02-09-2018, 10:58 PM
I have trouble spending money on myself for the most part. I got my tax refund & splurged a little this morning. Ordered a "ghost trees" shirt & a zip up hoodie. I bought a shirt & hat @ the Vegas show & was pretty happy with the quality & design. A nice belated birthday (2 weeks ago) present to myself. :)

Got a picture of the hat you can share? I've been asking for one for months but nobody cares about hats, just vinyl these days. I'm trying not to spend money either so I want to see a picture first...

Ribbitman
02-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Ruiner is the greatest song of all time

katara
02-10-2018, 05:26 PM
While I'm not the biggest fan of the suggested idea of a catalogue retcon where everything is somehow tied into Year Zero, it's interesting reading the full lyrics to The New Flesh and thinking about Opal. "The blackest eyes", indeed.

I can take it
Sideways
Sometimes
Some things
Feel like
I'm on the other side
Waves
Of every feeling ever felt
…screaming

Hold it close
(So) I can taste it

I've watched this scene a thousand times
And in my head
This is how it all begins
Yes, I am becoming
And this is how it all begins
What did you expect?
This is not an exit
This has begun

I can almost see
The blackest eyes
The new flesh
A new disguise
…Welcoming…

Please

Give it to me
I can take it
Give it to me

I can take it

I've become [alive]

chuckrh
02-11-2018, 03:18 AM
Got a picture of the hat you can share? I've been asking for one for months but nobody cares about hats, just vinyl these days. I'm trying not to spend money either so I want to see a picture first...
It's this one. Only thing not wild about is plastic tabs for sizing but other than that is fine. Looks like sold out though.

https://store.nin.com/collections/clothing/products/nin-logo-black-baseball-hat

Jon
02-11-2018, 05:09 AM
While I'm not the biggest fan of the suggested idea of a catalogue retcon where everything is somehow tied into Year Zero, it's interesting reading the full lyrics to The New Flesh and thinking about Opal. "The blackest eyes", indeed.

I always took the lyrics to be (more or less) about heroin.

katara
02-11-2018, 05:17 AM
I always took the lyrics to be (more or less) about heroin.
Well yes, it and almost everything prior to Year Zero was written in TR's journal entry style. Hence why I mentioned not being a fan of the catalogue retcon. But it is an intriguing parallel nonetheless.

fishtifer
02-11-2018, 08:56 AM
It's this one. Only thing not wild about is plastic tabs for sizing but other than that is fine. Looks like sold out though.

https://store.nin.com/collections/clothing/products/nin-logo-black-baseball-hat

I am looking for a real picture of the hat, the one on the NIN store has a Photoshopped logo on it. I want to see how the embroidered logo turned out, is it too big, too small, wonky looking (I've had bad luck with embroidered NIN logos on clothing items in the past...

chuckrh
02-11-2018, 12:23 PM
I am looking for a real picture of the hat, the one on the NIN store has a Photoshopped logo on it. I want to see how the embroidered logo turned out, is it too big, too small, wonky looking (I've had bad luck with embroidered NIN logos on clothing items in the past...
my phone fried 3 weeks after warranty expired. when i get that sorted out, i'll take a pic. no camera at present. i thought the pic on the site was a pretty accurate representation of what i have. btw: fuck samsung & sprint!

azad_ninja
02-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Failed to mention or didn't think his drone guitar on one song really contributed much to the album as a whole?

A guitar drone that was replaced by a synth drone on the 2010 Bicycle reissue

katara
02-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Lies. We all know the true mastermind here is Josh Wink.

... and Richard Patrick's drone guitar.

iamclassic
02-14-2018, 12:59 PM
I love that the NIN twitter tweeted that Better Alone playlist on valentine's day. Thanks Trent & Co. for rubbing it in.

thevoid99
02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Don't trust the bitch in the NIN shirt (https://www.instagram.com/p/BfOjSSBl68b/)

I want her more than ever.

Bachy
02-15-2018, 04:24 PM
A few days ago marked the 10th year anniversary of listening to NIN. I can still remember listening to “Right Where It Belongs” in my top bunk as goosebumps popped up all over my arms and tears fell upon my pillow.

Deacon Blackfire
02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
When the track titles came out for Hesitation Marks, I remember thinking Various Methods of Escape would be an instrumental and hoping that it wouldn't be, because as much as I love his instrumental work, we have been lucky enough to be spoiled with a lot of that from his and Atticus's film scores. So when I first heard the track I was pleasantly surprised, but as time as gone on, I have to say it is my least favorite track from Hesitation Marks and one of my least favorite Nine Inch Nails songs. It's not that it's bad, I don't mind the lyrics or the mid-song breakdown, but sonically it just feels so limp and predictable and devoid of a really engaging melody. Hesitation Marks is the most eclectic Nine Inch Nails release for me because it fluctuates between genuinely terrific tracks - Copy Of A, All Time Low, Running (which really hits the 'stripped down but hypnotizing' vibe Trent seemed to be shooting for in the album), In Two (!!!) - and ones that feel uncharacteristically perfunctory, but while I find that Everything, Satellite, and even Find My Way fit into the latter category, there is no question that the number one offender is Various Methods of Escape. It was also the worst possible choice from the album to play on Jimmy Kimmel, one that was basically guaranteed to leave no impression and not generate any kind of interest outside the fanbase. EDIT: Not entirely true, on second thought Everything probably would have been a worse choice.

I wish they had played Sunspots live during Tension, when the Lisa and Sharlotte were still in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, I would take a live version of this song with ANY format of the band, but if the chief factor in it not being performed is really concern over the wear on Trent's voice, this would have been the perfect time to bust it out and it would have sounded amazing. Hell, the only other live no-show from With Teeth at that time, All the Love in the World, made its premiere on that tour!

Demon Seed doesn't get nearly enough love. The last three tracks of The Slip are so palpably linked and really swell into a fantastic conclusion. Just how tight that album is for something made on such a compressed timeline will never stop impressing the hell out of me.

Me, I'm Not needs to get back on setlists for so many reasons but mostly because I've never seen it live.

Kulerage
02-15-2018, 08:52 PM
You reminded me that I don't understand why The Four of Us... and Demon Seed have never played live. Trent get on it!

HWB
02-16-2018, 05:49 AM
When the track titles came out for Hesitation Marks, I remember thinking Various Methods of Escape would be an instrumental and hoping that it wouldn't be, because as much as I love his instrumental work, we have been lucky enough to be spoiled with a lot of that from his and Atticus's film scores. So when I first heard the track I was pleasantly surprised, but as time as gone on, I have to say it is my least favorite track from Hesitation Marks and one of my least favorite Nine Inch Nails songs. It's not that it's bad, I don't mind the lyrics or the mid-song breakdown, but sonically it just feels so limp and predictable and devoid of a really engaging melody. Hesitation Marks is the most eclectic Nine Inch Nails release for me because it fluctuates between genuinely terrific tracks - Copy Of A, All Time Low, Running (which really hits the 'stripped down but hypnotizing' vibe Trent seemed to be shooting for in the album), In Two (!!!) - and ones that feel uncharacteristically perfunctory, but while I find that Everything, Satellite, and even Find My Way fit into the latter category, there is no question that the number one offender is Various Methods of Escape. It was also the worst possible choice from the album to play on Jimmy Kimmel, one that was basically guaranteed to leave no impression and not generate any kind of interest outside the fanbase. EDIT: Not entirely true, on second thought Everything probably would have been a worse choice.

I wish they had played Sunspots live during Tension, when the Lisa and Sharlotte were still in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, I would take a live version of this song with ANY format of the band, but if the chief factor in it not being performed is really concern over the wear on Trent's voice, this would have been the perfect time to bust it out and it would have sounded amazing. Hell, the only other live no-show from With Teeth at that time, All the Love in the World, made its premiere on that tour!

Demon Seed doesn't get nearly enough love. The last three tracks of The Slip are so palpably linked and really swell into a fantastic conclusion. Just how tight that album is for something made on such a compressed timeline will never stop impressing the hell out of me.

Me, I'm Not needs to get back on setlists for so many reasons but mostly because I've never seen it live.

Various Methods Of Escape is one of many highlights on Hesitation Marks, I love hoq quiet and minal verses are vs how loud and detailed choruses get.

chuckrh
02-16-2018, 06:51 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPEekMYGBMyzQaFTE1dKZcgAAKQxxpUqUKFcJrB=s512-p-qv=pf1fvqq4j5kq0i9972riv2ttq7unirvl1,m=0cb5d54efab 740d73afc726fd02c2b65,x=,t=25-iv1599?key=S1JwQjR1UXR3M0xGekFNVUJqNTYzNEI2YS1BSVJ 3

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOwMWkgl7JBlzyKyClWhIXcZSPK5YRSLq4zj343=s512-p-qv=ppv2n22t0hfktjru809ohdajdn33cpmg3,m=0cb5d54efab 740d73afc726fd02c2b65,x=,t=25-iv1600?key=b3NFLVZOVkRXT2s5RUd3T1FFRGRkN2RUWlZMRkl 3

Jon
02-16-2018, 07:45 AM
Am wondering why heroin use by Trent Reznor is suggested? The interviews I have seen: Trent says he had an alcohol problem.

The Guardian - The Nine Lives of Trent Reznor (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor)

ninwiki - 2000/07/01 London, UK (http://www.nin.wiki/2000/07/01_London,_UK)

theimage13
02-16-2018, 08:53 AM
The first from the Guardian is supposedly written in 2013 but has a photo from 2017, and no "last updated" date.

*cough* here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZVaJhUtuw) that "2017" photo published in 2012 *cough*

Jon
02-16-2018, 09:00 AM
The second link you posted seems to be apologising for their drummer. The first from the Guardian is supposedly written in 2013 but has a photo from 2017, and no "last updated" date. The Guardian is also full of BS, there are NO RECORDS of Trent Reznor ever taking drugs, let alone overdosing.

I think this is one of the interviews where it is discussed:

https://youtu.be/IiFvoyujVv8

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to respond and point me to where the gossip is coming from. I know the real reason for Trent's time off, although it isn't until 2002 (after NIN's acooustic gig), that Trent takes a year and a half off work.

If you would like more info, you can message me. :)

Your passive-aggressiveness borders on obscene. I'm sorry you don't like the fact that Trent Reznor may have used heroin in his life. It's been "gossip" for years.

The intention of your question is clear from your response. If you had bothered to read the ninwiki link, it talks about Trent and drug overdose (oh no). So does that evil fake Guardian link. All just gossip, I know.

And that picture you say is from 2017 was taken in his Los Angeles home studio.

BRoswell
02-16-2018, 09:30 AM
This is supposed to be a NIN Fan Forum where people are NICE TO EACH OTHER.

Me thinks you haven't been here long. :p

sweeterthan
02-16-2018, 11:23 AM
I thought Reznor himself said his addiction was cocaine, not heroin. I’m not sure when and where he said it tho.

ETA: I think it gets reported as heroin because he has so many songs that mention needles.

sweeterthan
02-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Obviously you did not read the second half of my post.

Trent has chin length-shoulder length hair until November 2016 (where he cuts it short and dyes it bleach blond for a film role), so obviously the photo from 2013 is FAKE.

Not sure why you are being antagonistic instead of friendly? This is supposed to be a NIN Fan Forum where people are NICE TO EACH OTHER.

Reznor’s hair has been predominantly short since 2007. I haven’t seen a single photo of him with chin length hair since the with teeth era.

Right now is the longest it’s been in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishtifer
02-16-2018, 01:16 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPEekMYGBMyzQaFTE1dKZcgAAKQxxpUqUKFcJrB=s512-p-qv=pf1fvqq4j5kq0i9972riv2ttq7unirvl1,m=0cb5d54efab 740d73afc726fd02c2b65,x=,t=25-iv1599?key=S1JwQjR1UXR3M0xGekFNVUJqNTYzNEI2YS1BSVJ 3

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOwMWkgl7JBlzyKyClWhIXcZSPK5YRSLq4zj343=s512-p-qv=ppv2n22t0hfktjru809ohdajdn33cpmg3,m=0cb5d54efab 740d73afc726fd02c2b65,x=,t=25-iv1600?key=b3NFLVZOVkRXT2s5RUd3T1FFRGRkN2RUWlZMRkl 3

Thanks! Looks like a decent embroidery job! Could you post one more showing the whole hat from the front, its hard to tell how big the logo is on the hat. There was a hat like this released in the 90's that had the perfect sized logo on it, I'm sad I never found it to purchase anywhere, I'm hoping this hat's logo is about the same size.

BRoswell
02-16-2018, 01:19 PM
I got that hat for Christmas and I love it. I've wanted some bandwear for a while, but they don't sell shirts that would fit my rather rotund size.

Shadaloo
02-16-2018, 03:22 PM
This is supposed to be a NIN Fan Forum where people are NICE TO EACH OTHER.

It really is. People here have always been generally pretty cool.

Microwave Jellyfish
02-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Trent has chin length-shoulder length hair until November 2016 (where he cuts it short and dyes it bleach blond for a film role), so obviously the photo from 2013 is FAKE.

Not sure why you are being antagonistic instead of friendly? This is supposed to be a NIN Fan Forum where people are NICE TO EACH OTHER.
Is that you, bill? How did you like NTAE and AV?

eversonpoe
02-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Is that you, bill? How did you like NTAE and AV?

nope, bill's been around for a while and has actually been pretty cool for the most part. this person seems legitimately unhinged...

i'm actually fairly certain empire thinks johnny depp and trent reznor are the same person.

katara
02-16-2018, 05:42 PM
i'm actually fairly certain empire thinks johnny depp and trent reznor are the same person.
You mean to say they aren't?

Damn, and here I was hoping that TR/MM threesome in Manson's latest video was real.

theimage13
02-16-2018, 06:52 PM

No, YOU said the picture is from 2017 and claimed that the Guardian lied about publishing their story in 2013 based on the fact that the photo was taken - again, in your own words - in 2017. I merely pointed out that you were objectively wrong by citing an incidence of the photo being published in 2012. Trent's hair hasn't been chin-length since about the mid-2005s if I recall correctly (I saw them for the first time in 2006 and it was a buzz cut).

I say this with all sincerity, for the second time: if you're not trolling, please get help. I have no reason to dislike you. But your claims are time and again outrageous and often objectively false. If you really believe the things you're saying, then I'm worried about your well-being.

SM Rollinger
02-16-2018, 06:59 PM
I grew my hair out the first time cuz I thought Trent looked like a badass.

Sadly I don't think I ever looked quite as rad.

sweeterthan
02-16-2018, 07:06 PM
No, YOU said the picture is from 2017 and claimed that the Guardian lied about publishing their story in 2013 based on the fact that the photo was taken - again, in your own words - in 2017. I merely pointed out that you were objectively wrong by citing an incidence of the photo being published in 2012. Trent's hair hasn't been chin-length since about the mid-2005s if I recall correctly (I saw them for the first time in 2006 and it was a buzz cut).

I say this with all sincerity, for the second time: if you're not trolling, please get help. I have no reason to dislike you. But your claims are time and again outrageous and often objectively false. If you really believe the things you're saying, then I'm worried about your well-being.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

@Empire (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6287) I don't know what's going on with you but I have to wonder how you don't understand that people think you're a troll. You've already had fair warning. Claiming to know information about Reznor yet posting completely inaccurate info seems like you're purposely looking for attention. I moved your posts from nin spotting to your apology thread. Let's get back on topic here and tone down the trolling.

theimage13
02-16-2018, 07:40 PM
I think you quoted the wrong person.

@Empire (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6287) I don't know what's going on with you but I have to wonder how you don't understand that people think you're a troll. You've already had fair warning. Claiming to know information about Reznor yet posting completely inaccurate info seems like you're purposely looking for attention. I moved your posts from nin spotting to your apology thread. Let's get back on topic here and tone down the trolling.

You're right; fixed. Too much travel in one day = groggy commentator.

chuckrh
02-17-2018, 02:58 AM
Thanks! Looks like a decent embroidery job! Could you post one more showing the whole hat from the front, its hard to tell how big the logo is on the hat. There was a hat like this released in the 90's that had the perfect sized logo on it, I'm sad I never found it to purchase anywhere, I'm hoping this hat's logo is about the same size.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RUDR9TlfV7i7E4lg2U9gumY-vglN7HNLWR3rdiBw82DAI1THXrWpQ2_xuuWACjSMAkAVoWctXV H8kzIwnv7Pv-OYRJiyymvJTTxLe3Lde6tDK-hy2z4ZeC2GQzyKDoO_ewjN-igUHoHmXQwsC0HhAhPBD2PJtf5XNmHzy6CsP6Rpfzhl5TcAlHI 8NVHnyP7zmTS0bbLHuL1c3kE4cKbWRt0XAy69e68TKchekXi9L AskmNe2YbT88uxoHDu7S8GtGCrzYJfUI-OV4sMVAclAZacaXaZ9BIr4JxJTR8dYUiiG2F6hRGnXM1-CsOxgbkq0rYXqSy4_ytj72L8GGSRSWv0xOK7_gY65kFDgJ79__ KZ5CCfN22TMvJnDyEMCRWf8sq9WmxozjN1Df_qFxKQ-58ZKEZyTtsL8QP3WaToJ2VpTZrRydPig7EhfaHYlHNaVC3d5lh Xk1km_WfZowAmxYpndAngHCfRQe8T9WMiXlAuJ7Jc2sAkOI70E AXIj90HbBpBItRK0HukZG79NPwyyU44fskRakvhzwwArf7mZpS-rQ_suEHhOuyPU76DHwOglxA_dbunOcgcRPrCdLJJ42Yyp1FAvw ZFPkNE85S15iP6Y52X4pdy6KJ0irongWUou2vHU-WWHw1lQVO-Ag5xqTkZExYpo-_Q-=w850-h637-no

Jetvet1975
02-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Can't wait until the new EP and tour. Really depressed over the Manson show in Huntington Thursday night. Been looking forward to it for over 4 months and then was treated to a total shit show! Trent would never pull that shit...at least not nowadays...Been debating with people on the Manson Reddit, but most of them just defend him blindly and enable him...ive always been a big fan, but after the disaster on Thursday, I'm not sure if I continue being a fan of someone who acts like that with zero apology, explanation or remorse! All I know, is I'm eagerly waiting for some good news from Trent!

Vertigo
02-18-2018, 02:51 AM
What happened?

Victor Newman
02-18-2018, 03:38 AM
What I'm hoping is that NIN are heavily influenced by Rolling Stones for the next EP or album.

chuckrh
02-18-2018, 03:41 AM
What I'm hoping is that NIN are heavily influenced by Rolling Stones for the next EP or album.

Why in the world would you want that?

Victor Newman
02-18-2018, 03:49 AM
Why in the world would you want that?

I think NIN could learn a lot from studying Rolling Stones.

witte
02-18-2018, 07:28 AM
excellent theory :confused::eek:

eversonpoe
02-18-2018, 11:56 AM

like how to put out the same album every few years for the last 3+ decades?

look, i love the stones' early stuff, and they've had a few great songs in the last 35 years, but that's it. they haven't done anything interesting or innovative in a loooooong time. whereas TR+AR keep putting out stuff that sounds new and intriguing (even when it's not great it's still interesting). the last thing i want them to do is take a page out of the stones' book.

chuckrh
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM

like how to squeeze every last possible dollar out of their fans, totally coast on past glories for 2+ decades, burn fans who spent big money to travel to vegas for a show then cancel so they could make even more money playing a billionaires party? yes they did put out a servicable record a few years ago but it was all covers of classic blues songs. its to the point that it is embarrassing. the last decent tour was 15 years ago & that was a celebration of past. i used to be a huge stones fan but the last show i saw in 2012 was very disappointing & bigger bang tour wasn't much better. they play the same set that keeps getting shorter with maybe 2 songs that are a bit different from usual. its like they have become a parody of themselves & it makes me sad. they are like 1 of those bands on the native american casino circuit except they have better pr. & this really hurts to say: keith has pretty much lost it. he hasn't been the same since he fell out of the coconut tree. his playing is just not good now. i think trent & nin are just fine doing what they are doing & i wouldn't change anything. i am perfectly willing to take the ride wherever trent & his muse want to take me.

Detunez
02-18-2018, 03:17 PM
I never realised how good Sunspots is, before today. one of my new favourites now.

joplinpicasso
02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
One fantastic cover The Big Come Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbMXUcvIRmM

and one ...fantastically questionable cover of The Big Come Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ClnkADuS50

paul_guyet
02-18-2018, 06:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbMXUcvIRmM

and one ...fantastically questionable cover of The Big Come Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ClnkADuS50Oh internet...

Ribbitman
02-18-2018, 06:50 PM
I never realised how good Sunspots is, before today. one of my new favourites now.

it's been in my top 5 for a long time

SM Rollinger
02-18-2018, 07:27 PM
I would love to hear Trent do a cover of Brown Sugar.

Or better yet Bitch. The Rez could rip it up on the saxophone wit da skills we know he has.

#while_im_still_here_is_underrated2018

thevoid99
02-18-2018, 07:37 PM
I would love to hear Trent do a cover of Brown Sugar.

Or better yet Bitch. The Rez could rip it up on the saxophone wit da skills we know he has.

#while_im_still_here_is_underrated2018

What about.... "Hot Stuff", "Hey Negrita", or "Emotional Rescue"?

Victor Newman
02-18-2018, 07:50 PM
like how to squeeze every last possible dollar out of their fans, totally coast on past glories for 2+ decades, burn fans who spent big money to travel to vegas for a show then cancel so they could make even more money playing a billionaires party? yes they did put out a servicable record a few years ago but it was all covers of classic blues songs. its to the point that it is embarrassing. the last decent tour was 15 years ago & that was a celebration of past. i used to be a huge stones fan but the last show i saw in 2012 was very disappointing & bigger bang tour wasn't much better. they play the same set that keeps getting shorter with maybe 2 songs that are a bit different from usual. its like they have become a parody of themselves & it makes me sad. they are like 1 of those bands on the native american casino circuit except they have better pr. & this really hurts to say: keith has pretty much lost it. he hasn't been the same since he fell out of the coconut tree. his playing is just not good now. i think trent & nin are just fine doing what they are doing & i wouldn't change anything. i am perfectly willing to take the ride wherever trent & his muse want to take me.

I'm talking about how awesome Rolling Stones' songcraft was in their golden period. Their open A tunings and Bo Diddley strumming style. NIN could learn some different kinds of playing skills. I'm talking about the music and music skills and song craft. Rolling Stones released some of the greatest rock albums of all time according to hundreds of credible and well-respected critics.

Krazy
02-18-2018, 09:03 PM

Unless one is into karaoke or American Idol, uhhhhh... no.

Ribbitman
02-18-2018, 09:48 PM
I love 10 Miles High and The New Flesh so much and am sad they were never on the CD version

chuckrh
02-19-2018, 03:13 AM
I'm talking about how awesome Rolling Stones' songcraft was in their golden period. Their open A tunings and Bo Diddley strumming style. NIN could learn some different kinds of playing skills. I'm talking about the music and music skills and song craft. Rolling Stones released some of the greatest rock albums of all time according to hundreds of credible and well-respected critics.

Sadly though, the last really good whole album was 1981 (Tattoo You). & that was sort of leftovers from the Emotional Rescue sessions for the most part. There have been good songs here & there since then but not many. Conversely, I think the 2 EPs last year (especially Add Violence) stand up with the rest of the NIN catalog. We won't even get into the soundtrack stuff. Some of that is absolutely stunning. 35 years is a pretty long time to wait for a good record. I liked some of Bridges to Babylon but there was a lot of filler. Remember, I was hard core Stones fan. I conned my parents into letting me drive to Boulder from Seattle to see the Some Girls tour when I was in high school. I'm just disappointed in the current Stones thing. I heard a tape from the first weekend of Desert Trip that was shockingly bad. The main problem I think is Mick has taken over & its all about the benjamins now. From Let It Bleed through Exile, nobody could touch the Stones. That's a pretty good run & they had a few more flashes. They should just retire now. The advantage that Trent has is NIN is Trent (& Atticus now). Everybody else can be replaced with no trauma for him. It's a singular vision with no one else competing to run things. Interesting tidbit: for me the Stones decline really began in earnest when it was decided to bring in back up singers. The last tour that Keith did the primary backup vocals was 1982 Europe. It changed the sound & dynamics a lot. The more extra musicians they added, the more it became the Rolling Stones Revue. Currently, Chuck Leavell is running the live band musically. He's a fine musician but totally wrong for them. Brought that jam band ethos into it & it's not pretty. As Mick once famously said "too many notes man".

paul_guyet
02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
used google image to find a better quality (3200x)
http://technewsbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/found-on-pinterest.jpg
My only issue is they didn't capture his neck beef in the late 2000's.

ickyvicky
02-19-2018, 01:16 PM
it's been in my top 5 for a long time

I always think of Meathead's vacuum cleaner sketch for this song. Always cracks me up.

Bachy
02-19-2018, 11:25 PM
I wonder if while Trent was composing part of The Fragile if he may have been inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining. Some of the instrumentation really fits in with that film, and if you listen to “The New Flesh,” that feels absolutely in the same headspace. I’ve watched the film so many times, and while listening to its outstandingly eerie score, it sounds like something that Trent might compose.

Substance242
02-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Sometimes a song plays in me head, and I realize it is somewhat related to what is happening around me or to me at the moment. Or I suddenly realize some WORDS are changed so it fits my current state. Words! And, I am no that good in english language, nor do I think I understand the songs that good to do this consciously by decision. It's like there was someone else in me having fun, like "hey, let's play him THIS SONG and see if he realizes why". :-) Don't worry, I'm OK and sober, it's just strange realization when this happens and I'm like "wait, where is THIS coming from...??" This thread because it happens with NIN mostly, maybe I feel NIN more than other music?

Edit: "in ME head" - see? I can't fricking speak english! :-)

EndlessLoveless
02-20-2018, 06:14 AM
And the "starfuckers era" wasn't an era. It was one music video and I don't remember that look beyond it. If a video counts as an era, where's deep Trent, covered in Orange and green. Muscle Trent should be in there.

opal
02-20-2018, 07:32 AM
If a video counts as an era, where's deep Trent, covered in Orange and green.

You just reminded me that I haven't listened to Deep in a while ... *Puts it on*

fillow
02-20-2018, 10:20 AM
There also should be a r_d r__e era

paul_guyet
02-20-2018, 02:23 PM
There also should be a r_d r__e eraFor me...every era is the red robe era.

katara
02-20-2018, 03:49 PM
I love 10 Miles High and The New Flesh so much and am sad they were never on the CD version
You forgot +Appendage.

It's criminal that we still don't have a lossless version with vocals even 19 years later.

botley
02-20-2018, 04:02 PM
People dragging the Stones in this thread... what is your deal? Totally disagree with chuckrh about their last 35 years sucking. Yeah they have shaky moments, but that's a feature, not a bug — I had tickets for the cancelled Vegas arena show and it had nothing to do with the corporate gig (they played two Desert Trip shows where Jagger blew out his voice with laryngitis and then a second arena show afterwards when he got better, which I couldn't stay for — probably lost more in sunk costs cancelling than they did playing the private date).

Reznor has every musical influence under the sun. He just grew up in a time when the Stones were already one of the biggest bands ever so I doubt he likes them much, except as a point of comparison which no band could ever dream to live up to — think about what it would mean for the same handful of guys playing over 2000 shows in countless countries (many of which NIN has never even considered visiting) for enormous crowds decade after decade. It's their genius songwriting combined with stagecraft that allowed all of that to happen. Along with incredible work ethic and commitment to the art — not just dollar signs. Although it is very expensive being a fan. Can't we agree to put a pin in that? NIN stuff isn't cheap either.

chuckrh
02-21-2018, 03:08 AM
People dragging the Stones in this thread... what is your deal? Totally disagree with @chuckrh (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6224) about their last 35 years sucking. Yeah they have shaky moments, but that's a feature, not a bug — I had tickets for the cancelled Vegas arena show and it had nothing to do with the corporate gig (they played two Desert Trip shows where Jagger blew out his voice with laryngitis and then a second arena show afterwards when he got better, which I couldn't stay for — probably lost more in sunk costs cancelling than they did playing the private date).

Reznor has every musical influence under the sun. He just grew up in a time when the Stones were already one of the biggest bands ever so I doubt he likes them much, except as a point of comparison which no band could ever dream to live up to — think about what it would mean for the same handful of guys playing over 2000 shows in countless countries (many of which NIN has never even considered visiting) for enormous crowds decade after decade. It's their genius songwriting combined with stagecraft that allowed all of that to happen. Along with incredible work ethic and commitment to the art — not just dollar signs. Although it is very expensive being a fan. Can't we agree to put a pin in that? NIN stuff isn't cheap either.
I've seen the Stones over 20 times going back to 1978. A little comparison: premium seat (so called) for Stones MGM Grand 2012: $750. Incredible seat NIN Hard Rock 2017 = $100. Last great record of original material: Stones = 1981, NIN=2017. I could go on. Granted the Stones have more years than NIN. The Stones legacy is great but for me they are tarnishing it now. Streets of Love, bleh! We'll just agree to disagree. BTW, I have actually met Keith & Bobby Keyes (RIP, another huge loss for the Stones sound). Both were really nice.

botley
02-21-2018, 07:28 AM
I worked for the Stones briefly, on the Bigger Bang tour rehearsals. Wasn't really into them before that, I had seen them once on the Licks tour but I was underwhelmed. Then I really got up close and understood why they were great and continue to be so. They are probably going to continue touring and recording this year, which is amazing. 56 years and counting.

Bachy
02-21-2018, 03:03 PM
That “Goddammit” in the middle of “Physical (You’re So)” is fucking fantastic.

Ribbitman
02-22-2018, 01:20 AM
Fucking Ruiner man

Those blaring cathedral like brass horns during the chorus are the coolest thing ever put on a record.

chuckrh
02-22-2018, 02:39 AM
I worked for the Stones briefly, on the Bigger Bang tour rehearsals. Wasn't really into them before that, I had seen them once on the Licks tour but I was underwhelmed. Then I really got up close and understood why they were great and continue to be so. They are probably going to continue touring and recording this year, which is amazing. 56 years and counting.
very cool. i saw several shows on bigger bang & licks tours, including @ the joint before they remodeled it on licks. mgm the next night (sticky fingers night) was 1 of the best shows i've seen. i did see 1 great 1 on bigger bang. motley crue opened in seattle & portland & evidently ronnie had a little too much fun preshow in seattle. to the point where he couldn't really play. the solo on tumbling dice sounded like sonic youth & not in a good way. you could tell mick was pissed off. after that, he got turned way down & keith did all the heavy lifting with blondie chaplin helping out. keith was unreal good that night. i think the genesis of my ennui is i was so disappointed in 2012. it was such a mediocre show & i spent big bucks on it. they had bloody mick taylor & only let him play on midnight rambler (highlight of the show). then special guest katy perry. bleh. bb king was in town & it would've been special if they had him in that role. opportunity lost. anyway, i'll always love the stones. maybe they'll put out 1 more great record. that would change things for me. i guess at this point in my life, NIN is just much more relevant in numerous ways. i like how trent keeps challenging his fans. there's a vid up on youtube of the whole vegas show in october. it was just so mighty. i was sitting front row balcony (i'm disabled so can't do the floor & i had pneumonia) & NIN just destroyed me. my only gripe would be i wanted more! i've got fairly diverse tastes & was in the music biz for 25+ years (until it went away), so have seen & heard a lot. some current & long time faves are the cure, drive-by truckers, wilco, flaming lips & neil finn. have enjoyed the dialog with you.

botley
02-22-2018, 11:11 AM
very cool. i saw several shows on bigger bang & licks tours, including @ the joint before they remodeled it on licks. mgm the next night (sticky fingers night) was 1 of the best shows i've seen. i did see 1 great 1 on bigger bang. motley crue opened in seattle & portland & evidently ronnie had a little too much fun preshow in seattle. to the point where he couldn't really play. the solo on tumbling dice sounded like sonic youth & not in a good way. you could tell mick was pissed off. after that, he got turned way down & keith did all the heavy lifting with blondie chaplin helping out. keith was unreal good that night. i think the genesis of my ennui is i was so disappointed in 2012. it was such a mediocre show & i spent big bucks on it. they had bloody mick taylor & only let him play on midnight rambler (highlight of the show). then special guest katy perry. bleh. bb king was in town & it would've been special if they had him in that role. opportunity lost. anyway, i'll always love the stones. maybe they'll put out 1 more great record. that would change things for me. i guess at this point in my life, NIN is just much more relevant in numerous ways. i like how trent keeps challenging his fans. there's a vid up on youtube of the whole vegas show in october. it was just so mighty. i was sitting front row balcony (i'm disabled so can't do the floor & i had pneumonia) & NIN just destroyed me. my only gripe would be i wanted more! i've got fairly diverse tastes & was in the music biz for 25+ years (until it went away), so have seen & heard a lot. some current & long time faves are the cure, drive-by truckers, wilco, flaming lips & neil finn. have enjoyed the dialog with you.
Likewise! If you wanna take a deep dive into some more Stonesmania check out my podcast (http://rollingstonespodcast.wordpress.com).

bobbie solo
02-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Fucking Ruiner man

Those blaring cathedral like brass horns during the chorus are the coolest thing ever put on a record.

those little rapid fire synth lines that start right when the first verse kicks in do it for me.

Plus I always heard what you're describing more as aggressive, distorted, jarring keyboard sounds...not brass horns. Interesting.

theimage13
02-23-2018, 07:03 AM
GUYS

NIN play Paris on 6/25. Presumably Trent will be there a couple days early to stave off jet lag.

Timberlake plays Paris on 6/23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdju3jxEzo

I don't know about you, but I would probably die from the world's most powerful touchless orgasm.

sonic_discord
02-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Mention of NIN in a look back to Madonna's Ray of Light album
https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/pop/8214329/madonna-ray-of-light-album-anniversary?__twitter_impression=true

I've never really been a Madonna fan, but she does have a few songs I like and the song Frozen was one of them.

sick among the pure
02-24-2018, 06:09 PM
That album is my favorite "pop musician" album of the 90's, and one of the first CDs I ever bought (the song/music video of Frozen sold me). No shame, I still like that album.

acrid avid jam shred
02-25-2018, 09:51 PM
The Fragile and Year Zero go well with train trips. The ever-shifting environment outside the window frames the music in a cool way.

Ribbitman
03-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Sunspots is my number 2 NIN song

Ribbitman
03-07-2018, 03:42 AM
For a couple of years, Hesitation Marks was at the very bottom of my NIN album rankings. Then a few weeks ago, I realized how good it was. Now it's fighting for 3rd with Still and With Teeth.

Anyone else ever had this same experience with an NIN album?

eversonpoe
03-07-2018, 09:17 AM
For a couple of years, Hesitation Marks was at the very bottom of my NIN album rankings. Then a few weeks ago, I realized how good it was. Now it's fighting for 3rd with Still and With Teeth.

i mean, i like year zero way more than i used to (which was basically not at all), but i still don't love a handful of songs and i think capital G is the worst thing trent has ever written, so it's still at the bottom of my rankings...but there's no longer a giant gap between it and what's above it.

implanted_microchip
03-07-2018, 09:49 AM
i mean, i like year zero way more than i used to (which was basically not at all), but i still don't love a handful of songs and i think capital G is the worst thing trent has ever written, so it's still at the bottom of my rankings...but there's no longer a giant gap between it and what's above it.
The live version of Capital G from the 2007 shows is so good and I hate that they never did it after that — its chorus doesn’t work as well in studio but has that big, sweeping sense to it that lends itself to shows really well.

Also How Long will forever be worse than any NIN song to me save for Deep. Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong. It’s the closest Trent ever got to becoming the nu metal garbage he complained so much about and it’s not good.

eversonpoe
03-07-2018, 10:28 AM
The live version of Capital G from the 2007 shows is so good and I hate that they never did it after that — its chorus doesn’t work as well in studio but has that big, sweeping sense to it that lends itself to shows really well.

Also How Long will forever be worse than any NIN song to me save for Deep. Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong. It’s the closest Trent ever got to becoming the nu metal garbage he complained so much about and it’s not good.

...i love "how long"... :: crawls back into cave and hides ::

BRoswell
03-07-2018, 10:46 AM

How Long? is great, if a little obvious in its intent. It also has one of the best music videos for a Trent-produced song in my opinion. Still can't understand the hate for Deep, and I don't say that as some sort of apologist. I genuinely dig that track. When that baseline kicks in, I'm sold. Having been exposed to enough nu-metal to last me a lifetime, I don't really hear the comparison in Deep, but maybe that's just me.

neorev
03-07-2018, 12:53 PM
I do not like How Long? either. As for Deep, it sounds like it could be a Fragile track. I really don't get the hate for it as it sounds like your standard NIN affair. No worse than Less Than or Came Back Haunted or Discipline or Only or any of the radio pop rock Trent does. Actually Deep is harder than those tracks. I say Discipline is the worst NIN track. I rather hear How Long? and I don’t even like that track. Discipline is just cringeworthy.

eversonpoe
03-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Discipline is just cringeworthy.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/27608c703491a6e25ca23dc5f497628c/tenor.gif?itemid=3843710

high def ultra-realism
03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
C'mon guys! Everybody knows worst NIN track is Everything [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRoswell
03-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Any answer to that question that's NOT "Purest Feeling" is completely and utterly wrong.

sheepdean
03-07-2018, 02:57 PM
The worst track on any NIN release is easy and cannot be argued
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9b4PCmOhA

(also How Long is fucking awesome I'll fight you all)

HWB
03-07-2018, 03:02 PM
The worst track on any NIN release is easy and cannot be argued

(also How Long is fucking awesome I'll fight you all)

Such an underrated classic. I miss when Nine Inch Nails was like this.

Microwave Jellyfish
03-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong.
Absolutely, it's a good song AND video. I'm familiar with the man's opinion on it, but still gladly take it over leftover David Lynch B-roll or six minutes of white noise. Don't see how it's any more nu-metal than Starfuckers, WIE or even Down In It, either.

sweeterthan
03-07-2018, 04:09 PM
capital g. Sometimes I’ll listen to capital g three times in a row because it’s that good to me.

Release the damn record already so we don’t have to rehash the best/worst nin songs debate (yet again!).

Pbgut
03-07-2018, 05:14 PM

With Teeth for me. It basically knocked NIN out of a favorite band status for me, and I went from anticipating his work like a crazed person to just kind of checking in. I really liked how otherworldly and slightly "off" a lot of The Fragile is, and I still have almost never come across an album that sounds at all like TDS (elements of some of Coil's work comes close). So the more standard, understandable rock music that comprises a lot of WT was a huge bummer for me at the time. I have come around on it, and I appreciate it for what it is, though it's still not a fave.

I always loved "All The Love...," (an all-time favorite NIN track; it used to irk me that it's followed by something as ordinary as "You Know What..."), "Right Where It Belongs," and thought "The Line Begins..." was interesting, and those are still my favorites.

implanted_microchip
03-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Absolutely, it's a good song AND video. I'm familiar with the man's opinion on it, but still gladly take it over leftover David Lynch B-roll or six minutes of white noise. Don't see how it's any more nu-metal than Starfuckers, WIE or even Down In It, either.
I don’t like Where Is Everybody. It’s ... fine, but not at all what I like about NIN, and Starfuckers is and will always be out of place and both contribute heavily to Right feeling inferior to Left and part of why I will never consider it superior to TDS as a complete album. Down In It works because it’s the first album so it gets a bit more of a pass for the silliness of it and the retro sound boosts it greatly. The lyrics to Deep are terrible and the idea that it could fit next to songs like La Mer and I’m Looking Forward To Joining You Finally makes me feel like the reasons I like The Fragile aren’t why other people like The Fragile. It feels like a demo with placeholder lyrics to me that never got refined.

Purest Feeling is excellent for 80s synthpop. Maybe Just Once is also solid as hell for the era it’s a product of, and neither of those songs feel fair since they were only ever in demo stages and had no final studio versions.

Also wow I should be in the controversial opinion thread at this point.

botley
03-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Yeah this is big-time Personal Opinions Hour drift, fellas. Here's a more Random Thought:

I really want Atticus to write a big essay to accompany the vinyl release of Still. Those sessions are from right before he started working with TR on the still-unfinished 12 Rounds record, so his impressions of Nothing Studios in those days and reflections on hearing the record retrospectively as an obvious starting point for the tone of their subsequent soundtrack work together would be, well, awesome.

gorast
03-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Anything that talks more about how Still was made would be fantastic. Something a little more focused than the Broken and TDS essays at the very least.

neorev
03-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Year Zero was the beginning of the end for me and I went from anticipating Trent's work to just checking it out. Not The Actual Events made me psyched for the first time again only for Add Violence to make me go back to how I felt with Year Zero. I'm a big fan of With Teeth. Last album from NIN I could listen to from front to back.

Kulerage
03-07-2018, 07:56 PM

Year Zero, definitely. It was so bizarre compared to everything else I had heard, and it took a while for me to digest.

iamclassic
03-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Anything that talks more about how Still was made would be fantastic. Something a little more focused than the Broken and TDS essays at the very least.

I am hoping for some really nice booklet for the Still vinyl with a bit more details.

SM Rollinger
03-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Worst track hands down is Lights In the Sky

bobbie solo
03-08-2018, 01:50 AM

Madness! Did you happen to catch it live? It's beautiful.

Volband
03-08-2018, 03:01 AM
If we count in the production value as well, then it is indeed not good. I really hate any next level argument about shitty productions, where it boils down to "duh, it was meant to sound like that silly!" I still can't fucking hear shit! But if the vocals were mixed normally, LITS would be amazing; I still like it, but it's near impossible to listen to during my daily commute, because the quietness makes the listening experience miserable.

This is why I am so glad for the Definitive Broken edition: they fixed the volume issues.

On another note, I don't get the Starfuckers, THTF, Discipline, CBH, Less Than, etc. hate. They are fun and mostly one-off songs on their respective records.

Vertigo
03-08-2018, 03:49 AM
If we count in the production value as well, then it is indeed not good. I really hate any next level argument about shitty productions, where it boils down to "duh, it was meant to sound like that silly!" I still can't fucking hear shit! But if the vocals were mixed normally, LITS would be amazing; I still like it, but it's near impossible to listen to during my daily commute, because the quietness makes the listening experience miserable.

Why not fix that yourself with the multitrack?

Volband
03-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Why not fix that yourself with the multitrack?
I don't have the knowledge.

Ac1dfreak used to make extremely good quality stuff from (mostly live) NIN songs, but that's been a while. Heard some fan fixes of other bands' songs, and honestly, they were all worse than the original, so I'm not a big believer in fixing stuff ourselves.

LITS may be not that hard, you just have to up the vocals, but what do you with Less Than for example? The production of that song is so strange, and in a bad way.

Swykk
03-08-2018, 07:40 AM
I have said it before. The answer is, “I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally.” It’s a boring meandering song that feels like it never got finished. It’s got percussion...and not much else.

joplinpicasso
03-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I have said it before. The answer is, “I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally.” It’s a boring meandering song that feels like it never got finished. It’s got percussion...and not much else.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma52qzVsRo1rvwttvo1_500.gif

Anyway, I was blown away by the teasers and hype for Year Zero, and I think I was trying to like it more than I did. It was a little too loaded and homogeneous for me. Some beautiful songs and ideas, though. Also, did this thread turn into controversial NIN opinions?

BRoswell
03-08-2018, 09:43 AM

You can't listen to it on your drive to work, ergo it was mixed wrong? I call some serious bullshit on that.

Volband
03-08-2018, 09:59 AM
You can't listen to it on your drive to work, ergo it was mixed wrong? I call some serious bullshit on that.
No, it is mixed wrong because it is extremely quiet. Me not wanting to put it on my music player device is a result of that and not vice versa.

Swykk
03-08-2018, 01:04 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma52qzVsRo1rvwttvo1_500.gif

Anyway, I was blown away by the teasers and hype for Year Zero, and I think I was trying to like it more than I did. It was a little too loaded and homogeneous for me. Some beautiful songs and ideas, though. Also, did this thread turn into controversial NIN opinions?

That’s adorably funny coming from a person that didn’t get/love YZ but cool. Keep being you, I guess?

kel
03-08-2018, 02:39 PM
i don't listen to nin much anymore. i've bought and played every record like the rest of us. what strikes me as odd is that i still know every lyric to every song, even albums i have only played a few times, like hm and yz. very weird.

someone mentioned "i'm looking forward to joining you, finally" in this thread, a song i usually slept through or skipped. just listened to it and, yep, every single lyric is still embedded in my mind despite the fact that a) it's almost 20 years old and b) it's not a song i've heard more than a few times.

mauro995
03-08-2018, 02:57 PM
I've just realised that the sample of the beginning of Closer (that can be noticed specially in the live versions) is also playing during the quiet part in the middle of Mr Self Destruct (it can be heard specially just before the heavy parte comes back).

joplinpicasso
03-08-2018, 03:18 PM
That’s adorably funny coming from a person that didn’t get/love YZ but cool. Keep being you, I guess?

Well, I loved ​it when it came out, I just don't *love* it now meaning I don't return to it frequently. And I will ;)

BRoswell
03-08-2018, 03:28 PM
No, it is mixed wrong because it is extremely quiet. Me not wanting to put it on my music player device is a result of that and not vice versa.

I've listened to that song through car speakers, professional audio speakers, my own home speakers, and through a decent pair of headphones, and I've never had trouble hearing anything. I should also mention that my hearing is not the greatest. Either you're listening to the song through laptop speakers, or your hearing is for shit. Yeah, it's a quiet song, but there's nothing wrong with the mix on it.

eversonpoe
03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
I've listened to that song through car speakers, professional audio speakers, my own home speakers, and through a decent pair of headphones, and I've never had trouble hearing anything. I should also mention that my hearing is not the greatest. Either you're listening to the song through laptop speakers, or your hearing is for shit. Yeah, it's a quiet song, but there's nothing wrong with the mix on it.

yeah, there's a difference between something being intentionally mixed quiet (see steven wilson's solo albums that have very quiet sections that are intentionally mixed that way so that there are extreme dynamics) and something being mixed poorly.

Volband
03-09-2018, 05:32 AM
It won't come as a shocker, but I listened to every other slow songs from NIN, and I never once had this problem with those tracks. AATCHB and ILFTMYF could be mentioned, but both of those songs are building up to something, so the quiet parts are not annoying. In LITS? Trent just whispers through the entire song. If that's good mix for you, then I am happy that every other slow tempo NIN songs were mixed in a different way.

I just hope 100 years from now The Slip will be regarded as the best NIN production of all time, and we will have come full circle with how literature is being taught in schools.

yeah, there's a difference between something being intentionally mixed quiet (see steven wilson's solo albums that have very quiet sections that are intentionally mixed that way so that there are extreme dynamics) and something being mixed poorly.
This is what I opened with: I am aware that they deliberately mixed it in a shitty way, and that it wasn't a mistake. But the older The Slip gets, the more annoying this rising sentiment will become, that the production of TS can'T be criticized, because everything that sounds funky is deliberately bad. Making a record hastily should not grant protection for the obvious flaws such a recording method produces.

Halo Infinity
03-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Such an underrated classic. I miss when Nine Inch Nails was like this.

But they are still in fact, good. Very good. ;)

eversonpoe
03-09-2018, 09:59 AM
I just hope 100 years from now The Slip will be regarded as the best NIN production of all time, and we will have come full circle with how literature is being taught in schools.

This is what I opened with: I am aware that they deliberately mixed it in a shitty way, and that it wasn't a mistake. But the older The Slip gets, the more annoying this rising sentiment will become, that the production of TS can'T be criticized, because everything that sounds funky is deliberately bad. Making a record hastily should not grant protection for the obvious flaws such a recording method produces.

no one is saying it has the best production value, but that it's not shitty; you simply don't like it, and you're allowed to have that opinion. but don't conflate you not liking something with it being intentionally "shitty"

BRoswell
03-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Okay, calm down, Bill.

I never said it's above criticism, but if you're going to criticize it, you're going to have to come up with a better argument than "it sounds too quiet to me when I'm driving in my car".

HWB
03-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Screw everything and everyone, The Slip kicks ass. I don't get the complaints about production, it's meant to be messy and dirty. It accomplishes that amazingly.

astfgyl
03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
I don't care about what the intention was, but to me the vocals are a little quiet on LITS. It is fine for some occasions, like when I listen to it alone or on headphones for example but it seems a bit mumbly if there is anybody else there at the time and we are having a conversation. I was driving the kids to school the other morning and I had The Slip on in the car and the only time I had to turn it up was for LITS, at which point the instrumentation (piano) seemed overpowering while the vocals were just loud enough to be clear.

So while writing this it struck me... maybe the intention is for it to be best enjoyed alone.. I don't know but the vocals are certainly low in the mix, intentional or not. I have to think that with the experience of TR it must be intentional even if I don't really understand the intention.

Edit: Just wanted to say Intention one more time

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-09-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm gettin' reeeal tired of NIN emails titled "(insert international festival here) presale code inside" in my inbox and getting my hopes up for a split second. ^^'

Volband
03-09-2018, 01:55 PM
You get up in arms because an awfully quiet song was called awfully quiet. I'll try to meet you guys halfway then: the production is good, but the decision to tune the volume so, so, SO down on LITS was shitty and pointless. It is not enjoyable to listen to during a daily commute*, and what's worse, the song wouldn't lose any value if it would have a proper volume range.

There is no need to be revisionist and try to imply that everything on TS sounds how it sounds for a reason, when even Trent himself admitted that he is not so sure about that record.

As an experiment, I can see how putting an under tuned track on a raw and loud material like TS can be tempting. It sounds very artistic on the drawing board, but the final version was more annoying than awe-inspiring. Which is a pity, because LITS might be one of the most underrated songs in the catalog, but the circumstances turned it into a raw gem, which can only be seen shining when Trent performs it live. But he's not performing it live, because it's not called Hurt. A pity.

*And for the love of God, @BRoswell (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=219), don't strawman me with this. Whenever I try to not write a wall of text, my fear of not explaining everything in 5 extra sentences just comes true. LITS is not quiet because it's quiet on the street; it's extremely quiet on its own, which is annoying on its own. Not being able to bring it to myself to my commute is just another personal annoyance of mine on top of that.

BRoswell
03-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but your argument against how it's mixed basically holds no water, especially when you bring up listening to it in a car. Between road and engine noise, plus various other sounds you encounter while driving, of course it's going to sound too quiet. Using the fact that the album was recorded quickly doesn't support the fact that listening to a quiet song in a noisy environment and then saying that it sounds too quiet to you is really, really dumb.

*And for the love of God, @BRoswell (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=219), don't strawman me with this. Whenever I try to not write a wall of text, my fear of not explaining everything in 5 extra sentences just comes true. LITS is not quiet because it's quiet on the street; it's extremely quiet on its own, which is annoying on its own. Not being able to bring it to myself to my commute is just another personal annoyance of mine on top of that.

I'd rather you write a wall of text that properly explains your point of view than dumb it down. It doesn't really matter though, because in this case, the issue lies with you, not the song. If you think it's too quiet, so be it, but to say that it's some sort of error in the mix is just wrong. Honestly, I've rarely even heard of anyone else complaining about how it sounds, and the people who did talk about it were idiotic fans who skip it because they only want the songs that "RAWK HAAARD!!!".

eversonpoe
03-09-2018, 02:29 PM
THIS EMAIL WAS SENT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE, YOU'RE AHEAD OF THE CURVE, YOU LOOK GREAT TODAY AND YOU SUBSCRIBED TO OUR EMAIL LIST

thanks, NIN mailing list, i needed that today :}

Bachy
03-09-2018, 11:21 PM
It’s in her kissssss . . . http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24000000/The-Perfect-Drug-nine-inch-nails-24039885-500-370.gif

Shunt
03-10-2018, 12:10 PM
I also think that basing a quiet song mix's quality around how it sounds in a noisy enviroment is a bit unjustified. "If it sounds good in the car, it's good" is a recurring trope among sound engineers, but I thought it was obvious not every song is meant to be heard that way, and LITS is of course supposed to be REALLY quiet. There are many other wonderful masterpieces that are hardly audible at the noisiest places.

seasonsinthesky
03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
I also think that basing a quiet song mix's quality around how it sounds in a noisy enviroment is a bit unjustified. "If it sounds good in the car, it's good" is a recurring trope among sound engineers, but I thought it was obvious not every song is meant to be heard that way, and LITS is of course supposed to be REALLY quiet. There are many other wonderful masterpieces that are hardly audible at the noisiest places.

Yeah, I'm sure it's quite lackluster waiting for The Mark Has Been Made to finally move out of endless silence into Please when you're driving!

botley
03-11-2018, 10:45 AM
I've just realised that the sample of the beginning of Closer (that can be noticed specially in the live versions) is also playing during the quiet part in the middle of Mr Self Destruct (it can be heard specially just before the heavy parte comes back).
Hate to differ with you, but it isn't. Someone recently determined that the loop in "Closer" was a sped-up sample lifted from a Roxy Music song (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4627-i-figured-out-that-backwards-music-in-Closer), and the faint echoey things going round and round in the middle of "Mr. Self Destruct" are just treated guitars. Check out the 5.1 surround mix (or various instrumental versions on YouTube like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWE_4bK0Mbc))... you can hear them more clearly.

Pyract
03-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Hate to differ with you, but it isn't. Someone recently determined that the loop in "Closer" was a sped-up sample lifted from a Roxy Music song (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4627-i-figured-out-that-backwards-music-in-Closer), and the faint echoey things going round and round in the middle of "Mr. Self Destruct" are just treated guitars. Check out the 5.1 surround mix (or various instrumental versions on YouTube like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWE_4bK0Mbc))... you can hear them more clearly.

I made a video to compliment that thread and then never posted it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJLElyejaU

HWB
03-11-2018, 11:02 AM
There are many other wonderful masterpieces that are hardly audible at the noisiest places.

Case in point:

Almost entire first minute of "And All That Could Have Been"

The middle section of title track "With_Teeth"

The middle section of "Various Methods Of Escape"

The middle section/bridge section of "In Two", its opening also counts.

Pinion's beginning can be heard very hardly in noisy places.

Pretty much entirety of "Another Version Of The Truth" especially towards its end.

A lot of "Find My Way" falls into this.

As does "While I'm Still Here"

Any idea how you miss out with "This Isn't The Place" in crowded places? Albeit it gets louder as it goes on.

"The Way Out Is Through" mostly until its end

Lesson learned? NIN music wasn't made in made to be listened to "on-the-go" or whatever. Lighs In The Sky indeed isn't a good "radio" or "headphone in public" song, but a lot of NIN songs aren't, NIN albums were always at their best when they are paid full attention to, preferably at peace at one's home.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Lesson learned? NIN music wasn't made in made to be listened to "on-the-go" or whatever. Lighs In The Sky indeed isn't a good "radio" or "headphone in public" song, but a lot of NIN songs aren't, NIN albums were always at their best when they are paid full attention to, preferably at peace at one's home.

Slightly unrelated - This makes me think of Trent's push for vinyl records as a preferred method of listening to music (not just his), but also makes me think of how ridiculous it is to have a tiny, portable device that you put on your records to play them on-the-go. You aren't SUPPOSED to take your records to the park with you. You aren't SUPPOSED to just bring records to a house party. Would you bring your records on the train for your daily commute? No. Because that's dumb. They're meant to be played on a turntable in an appropriate setting. Going to a party with a record-spinning DJ? Sure. Taking records to a buddy's place to listen together? Rad. But if you want on-the-go, then maybe you should listen to something else.

paul_guyet
03-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Slightly unrelated - This makes me think of Trent's push for vinyl records as a preferred method of listening to music (not just his), but also makes me think of how ridiculous it is to have a tiny, portable device that you put on your records to play them on-the-go. You aren't SUPPOSED to take your records to the park with you. You aren't SUPPOSED to just bring records to a house party. Would you bring your records on the train for your daily commute? No. Because that's dumb. They're meant to be played on a turntable in an appropriate setting. Going to a party with a record-spinning DJ? Sure. Taking records to a buddy's place to listen together? Rad. But if you want on-the-go, then maybe you should listen to something else.I think it's that records weren't meant / made to be played on the go. Today that's not the case, and I believe that's what's wrong with the industry. So many artists are putting out albums with two or three radio friendly singles and then phoning the rest in because people aren't buying the whole album, they're sampling 30 seconds on iTunes and buying (read: renting a license for) the two or three songs with the most little bars next to them. The band sees this and says, "well, if people only give a shit about two or three songs which they're just going to toss on a playlist, we should just make two or three 'good' songs per album", and so on and so forth until every album is 75% filler.
And, while I will sit down with a record and listen to it as intended, I do run around with 18,000+ songs on my iPhone, but I have excellent, noise-cancelling headphones so I can experience the music as opposed to just using it to pass the time on my commute or block out bible shouting maniacs on the subway.
When it comes down to it, everything is a personal choice and while I don't really think there's a "right" and "wrong" way to experience music, I do believe there's an "intended" and "unintended" way to experience music.

neorev
03-11-2018, 02:00 PM
I tend to listen to albums I enjoy more so than just single tracks. If an album has just has 1 or 2 good songs on it, there's a very good chance that even if I love those 1 or 2 songs, I won't be listening to them anywhere near as much compared to an album that is full of songs I love. Silly for people blaming digital music as the reason some people don't buy or listen to albums anymore like kids didn't borrow friends' records to make mixtapes or record songs off the radio back in the day. It's the same shit that's always been happening. It is nothing new. Artists don't have to cater to the half hearted listener.

I have never chose to listen to the radio ever in my life. So I have never been a singles playlist type of person. I have only listened to the radio if I was in a setting where I'm forced to listen to it, like at work or a waiting room. But on my time, I have never had the need for radio. I'm not into listening to playlists. I don't even have a single playlist on my computer or phone. Whether I'm on the go or at home, I have albums with me. I find the notion that you can't bring an album you love on the go with you and it is not meant to be on the go ridiculous. I got a nice pair of headphones to shut the world out. In my car? My windows are rolled up and the radio is blasting to shut the world out.

I'm sorry, but I don't need an album to be on a record to make me appreciate it or force me to listen to it in full, I can do that just fine on my own, even if it is on CD or hi-res files. I find the notion that only record is the true medium for folks who really sit back and listen to an album just silly. I've been listening to albums since I was a kid. As the the way I listened to music changed from CD to digital, I still listened to albums. Even on my phone, I have full albums that I can enjoy because I don't want to have to keep switching tracks or create a playlist or click the random button. No, I want an album that I can put on, drive, and listen to from front to back. I don't need a specific medium of music to force me to do that, I can easily put on album from front to back on my own whether I'm at home or in my car. I guess I am not a part of the A.D.D. generation that is easily distracted.

And if an artist doesn't have the ability to deliver a good album and only a track or 2, then that artist should give up writing albums. You can't write a good album, then I will be giving that artist less of my attention for one that can. I find blaming the section of "listeners" that don't really care about music and just go around buying the popular songs that make them feel a part of the cool club to soundtrack their Instagram day as a reason an artist should be allowed to phone it in absolutely ridiculous. If an artist cannot write a good full album, then stick with the radio crowd. If you are gonna write an album, then put the effort in to make it good all the way through. If it is good, it will be loved and listened to. Stop caring about the half ass listeners and catering to those whi only buy the single or who only pay $10 per month to stream everyone's music. I do not believe the album is dead. Artists just have to make a goddamn good album. As for the rest of us, go out and actually support the artists you love by buying that album or shirt or concert ticket.

Death to the single.

nooneimportant
03-12-2018, 01:52 AM
I really like The Hand That Feeds. It was one of the first NIN songs I ever heard (Thanks alot Rock Band) and I honestly can't listen to it much anymore because the fan reaction to it at this point bums me out. I mean, I shouldn't let others dictate my enjoyment of something but it's just something that happens I guess.

Shunt
03-12-2018, 03:02 AM
I really like The Hand That Feeds. It was one of the first NIN songs I ever heard (Thanks alot Rock Band) and I honestly can't listen to it much anymore because the fan reaction to it at this point bums me out. I mean, I shouldn't let others dictate my enjoyment of something but it's just something that happens I guess.

THTF, Discipline and the like are catchy, straightforward songs that are a pleasure to listen to, even if they are certainly not the greatest among NIN's catalog..

WorzelG
03-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Talk of The Slip on here reminded me how much I love Echoplex. I was listening to it today while ironing and some of the lyrics like. ‘You will never ever ever get to me in here’ and my voice just echoes off these walls seem similar to the themes of the EPs

mauro995
03-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Talk of The Slip on here reminded me how much I love Echoplex. I was listening to it today while ironing and some of the lyrics like. ‘You will never ever ever get to me in here’ and my voice just echoes off these walls seem similar to the themes of the EPs
Also Head Down "And this is not my face and this is not my life, and there is not a single thing here I can recognize, this is all a dream and none of you are real".

astfgyl
03-12-2018, 12:42 PM

But... you aren't meant to be doing the ironing while listening to it, you are meant to be staring at the fucking wall, distracted by exactly nothing in a soundproof room.

Otherwise you aren't enough of a superfan to truly appreciate it.

HWB
03-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Case in point:

Almost entire first minute of "And All That Could Have Been"

The middle section of title track "With_Teeth"

The middle section of "Various Methods Of Escape"

The middle section/bridge section of "In Two", its opening also counts.

Pinion's beginning can be heard very hardly in noisy places.

Pretty much entirety of "Another Version Of The Truth" especially towards its end.

A lot of "Find My Way" falls into this.

As does "While I'm Still Here"

Any idea how you miss out with "This Isn't The Place" in crowded places? Albeit it gets louder as it goes on.

"The Way Out Is Through" mostly until its end

Btw, I am not sure if this goes for everyone, but listening to NIN on a phone takes nothing out of the experience, for me personally at least. Intended/unintended or not, doesn't mean you can't have great results even with the means the artist may not have suspected, I assume results vary from person to person. But I find myself enjoying NIN entire albums even in the most crowded of places.

If song or its section is too quiet, i just bring up the volume.

I just hope I didn't come off as someone who'd be lecturing people how to listen to music or something.

Halo Infinity
03-13-2018, 04:53 PM
I can definitely relate to this as it's also affected me on a subconscious and unintentional level when it came to entertainment in general as well. In hindsight, in spite of how important it is to be open-minded to differing opinions, sometimes you just got to see what works or doesn't work for you and you alone.

It really was no wonder why it lead me to ask questions as to whether or not I liked or followed something just because of the approval and admiration of others, or if I avoided or even just gave up on something just because of the overall rejection and disappointment of others. (It could be a bit of an ego thing for all I know too. I don't mean to speak for others, but that's what I've always felt and thought about it too.)

Granted, I could see why there would be tons of factors to ruin it too, for whatever reason.

In hindsight though, it certainly helped me realize that I end up surprising myself in enjoying things I probably would've enjoyed a long time ago, should I had not have been steered by the opinions of others in any way, shape or form, negative or positive. I figured it would also be a very good thing to be mindful of, even beyond the realm of entertainment.

As for The Hand That Feeds, I still like for what it is as well. Much to my surprise, I have also re-watched the actual music video a lot more than I thought I would.

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) @Prettybrokenspiral (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=911) - I just thought of mentioning the both of you, since we were just talking about this.

Echoplex is still my most favorite song from The Slip, as it's often, if not always my go-to song on The Slip. Demon Seed has also been getting a lot more plays as of late too.

Also Head Down "And this is not my face and this is not my life, and there is not a single thing here I can recognize, this is all a dream and none of you are real".
Thank you for reminding me about this as well. That's what also came to mind when I first listened to Not The Actual Events.

afors
03-15-2018, 09:06 AM
For us Amerrkins:

5:30pm GMT
1:30pm East
10:30pm West

10.30am west

cdm
03-15-2018, 09:09 AM
10.30am west

<thumbs up>

joplinpicasso
03-15-2018, 09:53 AM
How does a Yankee stream something like this in real time?

streetman
03-15-2018, 10:43 AM
How does a Yankee stream something like this in real time?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

NIN64
03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
The TuneIn Radio app streams BBC Radio 6 Music pretty well.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
03-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Has the interview happened already?

trollmanen
03-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Man, the comments on that AV Club post are hilarious. A bunch of people complaining about the NTAE PC, several thinking it was a CD package, and all complaining about the black powder.

Prettybrokenspiral
03-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence. That EP is fine, but the only song on it that struck me as having any substantial thought put into it was Less Than. The Lovers, TINTP and Not Anymore all sound like they were banged out over a lunch break.

I definitely want to hear the 3rd EP, but at this point I’m way more interested in the new film scores they’re working on..

Shunt
03-16-2018, 06:25 AM
Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence. That EP is fine, but the only song on it that struck me as having any substantial thought put into it was Less Than. The Lovers, TINTP and Not Anymore all sound like they were banged out over a lunch break.

I definitely want to hear the 3rd EP, but at this point I’m way more interested in the new film scores they’re working on..

I'm not a native speaker, but that's not how I interpret what he said at all. If I heard it right, he described the situation they found themselves in AFTER they began the production of the third ep.

BRoswell
03-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence.

That's not what he said at all.

nooneimportant
03-17-2018, 12:43 AM
Is it just me or does it sound like a younger Trent in the pre-chorus of My Violent Heart? It's always been strange to me. He sounds like his current self in that song and through the album but at that exact moment it's like TDS/Fragile Era Trent shows up.

mauro995
03-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Made this playlist on my phone with some of the new songs and some old ones with the Year Zero and life-inside-a-dream- theme and it works great for me. All the tracks even segue each other great without the need of crossfades. Hope you like it.

1- Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
2- The Lovers
3- Less Than
4- Not Anymore
5- Me I'm Not
6- Dear World,
7- The Warning
8- Head Down
9- The Idea of You
10- Another Version of the Truth
11- This Isn't The Place
12- The Line Begins To Blur
13- Beside You In Time
14- Right Where It Belongs

theimage13
03-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Made this playlist on my phone with some of the new songs and some old ones with the Year Zero and life-inside-a-dream- theme and it works great for me. All the tracks even segue each other great without the need of crossfades. Hope you like it.

2- The Lovers
3- Less Than
4- Not Anymore
5- Me I'm Not
6- Dear World,
7- The Warning
8- Head Down
9- The Idea of You
11- This Isn't The Place
13- Beside You In Time

Definitely going to assemble this playlist myself and give it a listen. I'm constantly amused or intrigued by the way different songs segue when I have my library playing on shuffle.

Shadaloo
03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
The end of June means the end of Soon for the new EP

:eek:

sweeterthan
03-20-2018, 10:36 AM
The end of June means the end of Soon for the new EP

:eek:

“Third ep” is the new “soon”.

BRoswell
03-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Just curious, but what is everyone's favorite use of the "swarm guitar" effect that has been used in various tracks in recent years?

For those unfamiliar, it's this sound:

http://vimeo.com/11404399

sonic_discord
03-21-2018, 11:19 PM
Just curious, but what is everyone's favorite use of the "swarm guitar" effect that has been used in various tracks in recent years?

https://vimeo.com/11404399

I definitely know the sound, but what album tracks use it? I know it appears a lot on the scores.

elevenism
03-22-2018, 01:57 AM
I've revisited NTAE and AV, and I like them both a whole hell of a lot more now.

witte
03-22-2018, 09:26 AM
I definitely know the sound, but what album tracks use it? I know it appears a lot on the scores.

HTDA

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

eversonpoe
03-22-2018, 12:28 PM
HTDA

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

it's also in a few places on ghosts and the fragile

Kulerage
03-22-2018, 07:42 PM

http://vimeo.com/11404399
So THAT'S what that term refers to. I like the ambient feel it gives off, and I love it's use on Disappointed.

r_z
03-23-2018, 01:41 PM
It's on a lot of songs on TSN, too. I guess, it must have been around 2009/10, when they aquired the Swarmatron. It's been prominently shown in the teaser video for BBB from HTDA's first ep.

BRoswell
03-23-2018, 01:55 PM
To be clear, I'm talking about the "swarm guitar" effect, not the Swarmatron. It's that whooshing, shrieking, swarm of bees guitar sound. A more recent example can be heard in the second half of "Less Than".

joplinpicasso
03-23-2018, 02:07 PM
I love it in Almost Home on TSN score.

zecho
03-23-2018, 02:21 PM
To be clear, I'm talking about the "swarm guitar" effect, not the Swarmatron. It's that whooshing, shrieking, swarm of bees guitar sound. A more recent example can be heard in the second half of "Less Than".

To be clear, we're talking about this effect, right?

https://vimeo.com/11404399

BRoswell
03-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Yep, that's it. Nothing against the Swarmatron, of course. I love it too. :p

Scarlet Siren
03-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Release that third EP already! JESUS FUCK!

Frozen Beach
03-24-2018, 11:44 PM
When I first bought Twisted Metal Black when it came out, I thought Trent did the menu music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6NI6694m28

elevenism
03-25-2018, 01:29 AM
Would it be so bad if Mariqueen sang a little in NIN?
I think it would piss a lot of people off, but I would like it.

BRoswell
03-25-2018, 01:44 AM

I'd be down with that, especially since How To Destroy Angels may be dormant for the foreseeable future.

sonic_discord
03-25-2018, 03:17 AM

That's exactly what HTDA is for, though. Because that's exactly what HTDA is and sounds like: NIN (TR & AR) + Mariqueen. It wouldn't piss me off if she were to show up sparingly as she has already successfully done in She's Gone Away, that would work fine. Something more along the lines of La Mer could probably work too. But if she's going to be the lead singer and "star of the show," I prefer that remaining under the HTDA moniker. Atticus may be an official member now (and for the record, I'm a fan of his contributions), but NIN is still (and will always be) Trent Reznor. That also means that he does whatever the fuck he wants, though. I love How to Destroy Angels (especially Welcome Oblivion), I just think that if I hear her beautiful voice flowing through music made by Trent & Atticus, it should be given its own unique voice, identity, and title so it's allowed to create its own legacy and impact without having to live up to and fit into NIN's.

katara
03-25-2018, 04:57 AM
A little is fine, but full songs really should be kept to HTDA. Otherwise there's potential for a fanbase split, like what happened with KMFDM and Lucia.

elevenism
03-25-2018, 07:50 AM
That's exactly what HTDA is for, though. Because that's exactly what HTDA is and sounds like: NIN (TR & AR) + Mariqueen. It wouldn't piss me off if she were to show up sparingly as she has already successfully done in She's Gone Away, that would work fine. Something more along the lines of La Mer could probably work too. But if she's going to be the lead singer and "star of the show," I prefer that remaining under the HTDA moniker. Atticus may be an official member now (and for the record, I'm a fan of his contributions), but NIN is still (and will always be) Trent Reznor. That also means that he does whatever the fuck he wants, though. I love How to Destroy Angels (especially Welcome Oblivion), I just think that if I hear her beautiful voice flowing through music made by Trent & Atticus, it should be given its own unique voice, identity, and title so it's allowed to create its own legacy and impact without having to live up to and fit into NIN's.
Yeah, i just would like a LITTLE bit.

versusreality
03-28-2018, 05:46 AM
^ saw that reference on Raw, I marked out lol

Leviathant
03-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Sorry to be that guy but this looks like bad photoshopped fan art.

While I dig the Russell Mills aesthetic, I definitely understand why those weren't chosen for official album art.

ltrandazzo
03-28-2018, 02:40 PM
While I dig the Russell Mills aesthetic, I definitely understand why those weren't chosen for official album art.

I think I saw those on fan-made wallpaper packs back in 2002 when I first discovered NIN and thought that someone had just photoshopped them. Whoops!

cdm
03-29-2018, 08:41 AM
source (https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/979192364416737280)

this made me laugh so hard

Good ol' Boat. One of the best. He drops NIN references now and then. Also a Rocket / Night Marchers / Hot Snakes fan. Good follow, that account.

skullboy0
03-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Despite the audio issues

Ugh, panning the voices HARD left & right made the podcast unlistenable. I had to bust out my Klipsch in-ear headphones to seal out enough background noise to hear the conversation.

katara
03-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Just re-watched the video for Less Than and noticed a bunch of arms pointing downwards. May be a reference to God's arm in The Wretched, or more probably, The Presence, given AV's connections with YZ.

These are throughout the video but most noticeable in the break from about 2:40 onwards.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

nooneimportant
03-30-2018, 05:16 AM

If Trent feels like a Nine Inch Nails song actually needs female vocals then I am fine with him choosing Mariqueen or anybody really. It's his project so he can decide what he feels suits NIN.

sweeterthan
03-30-2018, 06:37 AM
If Trent feels like a Nine Inch Nails song actually needs female vocals then I am fine with him choosing Mariqueen or anybody really. It's his project so he can decide what he feels suits NIN.

Ha no. Remember the “Everything” hoopla? Poor guy scraped it’s release because, well, I don’t really know why. The online reaction messed with him. If it was really his decision, then fan opinions wouldn’t get in the way.

Shunt
03-30-2018, 06:58 AM
Why is almost everybody talking as if She's Gone Away hadn't already happened? I guess it's a question of her singing lead rather than backing vocals, but still...

elevenism
03-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Why is almost everybody talking as if She's Gone Away hadn't already happened? I guess it's a question of her singing lead rather than backing vocals, but still...
Naw, it's not so much that I want her to sing LEAD. I just think it might be cool if it was a little louder and more noticeable. Like, I didn't know she was on She's Gone Away.

eversonpoe
03-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Naw, it's not so much that I want her to sing LEAD. I just think it might be cool if it was a little louder and more noticeable. Like, I didn't know she was on She's Gone Away.

yeah you did, because you watched twin peaks :p while the stage "performance" was mock, her vocals have always been in the song (and also credited in the P.C. / liner notes)

EndlessLoveless
03-30-2018, 10:07 AM

2- The Lovers
3- Less Than
4- Not Anymore
5- Me I'm Not
6- Dear World,
7- The Warning
8- Head Down
9- The Idea of You
11- This Isn't The Place
13- Beside You In Time

This is a great playlist but I made one change to mine. I replaced the warning with home. Gives the middle section some room to breathe and I think strengthens the narrative. But nice work.

elevenism
03-30-2018, 02:07 PM
yeah you did, because you watched twin peaks :p while the stage "performance" was mock, her vocals have always been in the song (and also credited in the P.C. / liner notes)
See I honestly just thought she was onstage in twin peaks for the fuck of it. Seriously.
It's no surprise; you guys have accused me of being deaf before lololol.

Shunt
03-30-2018, 03:33 PM
See I honestly just thought she was onstage in twin peaks for the fuck of it. Seriously.

Your comment reminded me of this video :P But in Yoko's case, her input cannot pass unnoticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kgu71d81U

Krazy
03-30-2018, 03:57 PM

Same here, other than I knew she was on there due to people on ETS discussing it. I can barely make out someone doing her part in that song. Could’ve been some synth effect and I wouldn’t have known any different.

Shunt
03-30-2018, 06:09 PM
I don't know, the vocals are pretty low in the mix and buried in reverb, but I think it's quite discernible they come from a female voice.

Kulerage
03-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Ha no. Remember the “Everything” hoopla? Poor guy scraped it’s release because, well, I don’t really know why. The online reaction messed with him. If it was really his decision, then fan opinions wouldn’t get in the way.
I actually enjoy that song. Shame it got the reaction it did

nooneimportant
03-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Yeah but he put it on a record and then stands by its existence regardless of public fallout like most of Pretty Hate Machine for example, which you can tell he dislikes somewhat but appreciates still as a reference point for where he was in his life. "Everything" is where he was at that point in his life and I can't argue against it. The man puts his feelings in his music and the people shit on it, of course he's gonna be upset when people don't like his feelings because alot of people believe Trent is a very angsty negative dude and can't be positive ever. I'm pretty sure he doesn't hate the song he just hates how people reacted to that side of him and that's understandable.

I feel like people just don't like straight forward upbeat rock NIN. Songs like "Getting Smaller" and "Not So Pretty Now" are polarizing to fans and now "Everything" has joined it. I like all three. Just my opinion.

sick among the pure
03-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Anyone who thought Everything was in any way a "happy" song didn't read the lyrics.

chuckrh
03-31-2018, 12:57 PM
wish i could go to the vegas shows....

nooneimportant
04-01-2018, 05:14 AM
So uh, I'm pretty sure Trent sampled Kraftwerk on "Not Anymore."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_85fUIRlmU

Shunt
04-01-2018, 07:37 AM
So uh, I'm pretty sure Trent sampled Kraftwerk on "Not Anymore."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_85fUIRlmU

Can you be more specific? At least from memory I didn't find anything obvious.

botley
04-01-2018, 09:51 AM
The drum pattern at the start is kinda similar, but no way is it a sample. Sounds like a different synth, to me.

sonic_discord
04-01-2018, 03:00 PM

I mentioned it in my post 6 posts above yours. Subtle backing vocals are fine, but if She's going to be singing lead, I think it should be considered a HTDA track. Apparently they feel the same, because their cover of "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" is credited as HTDA, despite being on a score by "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross." One might expect it to be listed as "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Mariqueen Maandig Reznor" or "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (featuring Mariqueen Maandig Reznor)," much like the cover of Immigrant Song that features Karen O on vocals from the same score... but it's not.

Shunt
04-01-2018, 03:41 PM
I mentioned it in my post 6 posts above yours.

And that's exactly why I said almost​ everybody.

TheBang
04-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Anyone who thought Everything was in any way a "happy" song didn't read the lyrics.
Then why did they make the video so happy?

Kulerage
04-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Nothing is the worst April Fools joke

nooneimportant
04-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Can you be more specific? At least from memory I didn't find anything obvious.

I was referring to the percussion sound in the first couple of seconds. It could be a complete coincidence that it sounds the same. Who knows?

Bachy
04-02-2018, 01:50 AM
NIN Song transitions ranked:

3) 999,999 to 1,000,000
2) The Frail to The Wretched
1) Closer to The Ruiner

katara
04-02-2018, 04:00 AM
0) The Somewhat Damaged to The The Day The World Went Away

EndlessLoveless
04-02-2018, 06:42 AM
The line begins to blur to besides you in time

Krazy
04-02-2018, 08:16 AM
- Pinion into Wish
- Eater of Dreams into Copy of A

Most NIN albums have a great introduction.

fillow
04-02-2018, 08:38 AM
The Mark Has Been Made --> Wish

ltrandazzo
04-02-2018, 09:11 AM
A Warm Place into Eraser

Shunt
04-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I was referring to the percussion sound in the first couple of seconds. It could be a complete coincidence that it sounds the same. Who knows?

Well, as botley said, the pattern is certainly similar, but not the same, and I think it would be hard to get rid of the delay and phasing effects, even with filtering, gating to morph it into Not Anymore.

ikranax
04-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Now I'm Nothing --> Terrible Lie

If only there was rehearsal audio from 1991. The Closure DVD/Wave Goodbye recordings don't do it justice...

sonic_discord
04-02-2018, 10:59 AM
And that's exactly why I said almost​ everybody.

Fair enough. Maybe I didn't read your post closely enough.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

If only there was rehearsal audio from 1991. The Closure DVD/Wave Goodbye recordings don't do it justice...

I STILL can't believe I got to see that transition live back in '09. What a fucking way to immediately start the show on a high note.

GibbonBlack
04-02-2018, 12:05 PM
I STILL can't believe I got to see that transition live back in '09. What a fucking way to immediately start the show on a high note.

I caught them doing that in London the same year! Absolutely amazing.

Also La Mer into Into the Void is pretty spectacular

Krazy
04-02-2018, 12:45 PM
If we’re including live shows, the best is probably the extended drawn out version of Pinion that goes into Mr. Self Destruct (1994-1995 TDS tour). That shit gave me goosebumps.

katara
04-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Listening to With Teeth today.

It amazes me how quickly Everything was thrown to the dogs when EDIETS and the second half of All The Love In The World are both extremely poppy, and the latter is loved by seemingly everyone. How is Everything different to these songs?

Krazy
04-02-2018, 01:00 PM

It amazes me how quickly Everything was thrown to the dogs when EDIETS and the second half of All The Love In The World are both extremely poppy, and the latter is loved by seemingly everyone. How is Everything different to these songs?

I’m not a fan of ATLITW, so can’t speak for that song. The horrible beat of Everything, and it sounds like a Cure radio hit, kills that song for me. Don’t care if the lyrics are super happy or depressing (they’re not nearly as dark as people make it out to be though), it’s the music.

Krazy
04-02-2018, 01:17 PM
And re: Everything. This was also pushed as a single prior to HM's release (much like EDIETS) in an age when everyone could immediately complain about it from the palm of their hand.

mfte
04-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Everything just feels like lazy song writing. It's just a verse and chorus. If you're gonna do a song like that you know is very different than most of your catalog why not spend some more time including some interesting intricate parts to it. I believe that believe that people would have been a lot of more forgiving if it was a more interesting song. The drums sound like scratch drums that he just didn't bother to change out. a key change would have been nice. Listen to Getting Smaller. That song is essentially 2 parts but the key change in the breakdown makes that song all that more interesting. It isn't rocket science.

neorev
04-02-2018, 02:07 PM

I love All The Love In The World, but I truly dislike EDIETS. EDIETS is such a boring, generic, uninspired song. It's the one song on With Teeth that I could completely live without. Everything is a million times better song than EDIETS. Everything lazy? Nah. EDIETS is way more lazier. One of thr most boring NIN tracks. It's up there with Discipline as one of the worst NIN songs.

BRoswell
04-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Reminds me of the One Hour Photo / NIN mashups.
https://vimeo.com/103918625

Nice. I actually did a video where I added Leaving Hope and The Persistence Of Loss to the end of the film.

https://vimeo.com/192280879

Kulerage
04-02-2018, 03:39 PM
My favorite transition is No You Don't into La Mer. Best mood whiplash ever

implanted_microchip
04-02-2018, 03:49 PM
I would love it if No You Don't came back live. Every recording of it sounds massive and it would fit right in with the more aggressive sets they've been playing in the past year.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
04-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Help Me I Am In Hell into Happiness In Slavery was always lovely

ninjaw
04-03-2018, 05:56 AM
From Mark Romanek's Instagram. ARG?

Maybe someone need to mention it : there is no arg in this picture, just a very old family story, I used to do the same in france 20 years ago

ninjaw
04-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Wow, I happily uploaded a long time ago rare french TV footage from 1990 (actually I also uploaded the rare DVB re-air). Obvioulsy it's a very famous music show, as shown in the re-air, they met numberous great bands... this video got interview, and live video and sound... but "Isabella Swan" just commented that it's a fake Trent Reznor, and she can prove it !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am5CNUxp04o&lc=UgynT5n44MEqyzawxIJ4AaABAg

ikranax
04-03-2018, 08:04 AM
If we’re including live shows, the best is probably the extended drawn out version of Pinion that goes into Mr. Self Destruct (1994-1995 TDS tour). That shit gave me goosebumps.

Ah man, that static right before Mr. Self Destruct, awesome.

Help Me I Am In Hell into Happiness In Slavery was always lovely

When they used to do Dead Souls --> Help Me --> Happiness, also awesome.

I would've loved to hear how they did the 3 part Broken set/encore during that 1995 club tour. Shit, I would've loved to hear anything at all from that tour.

ekrekel
04-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Nice. I actually did a video where I added Leaving Hope and The Persistence Of Loss to the end of the film.

I watched that one yesterday too, well done. It's been 15 years since I've seen the movie had to refresh what the pictures at the end meant. I was originally looking for an EDIETS vs One Hour Photo that I thought existed but ran into those instead.

ekrekel
04-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Probably doesn't qualify, but the Paris '09 Illan's birthday 50 cent in da club/closer mix where they roll into Physical was pretty epic.

Thanks to @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) for rejuvenating that memory.

ltrandazzo
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM

This performance from the NINJA KC show in '09 is pretty damn epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-arvfoY0Q

SM Rollinger
04-03-2018, 09:22 AM
The Hate Intro is another good one (and favorite of mine).

bobbie solo
04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Probably doesn't qualify, but the Paris '09 Illan's birthday 50 cent in da club/closer mix where they into Physical was pretty epic.

Thanks to @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) for rejuvenating that memory.

The cake and frosting flying off his hair when he starts playing is a nice touch.

Deacon Blackfire
04-03-2018, 11:35 AM

The problem isn't that Everything is poppy - I have a huge soft spot for Trent's poppier side (and really a vast majority of NIN's output has a noticeable degree of pop in its DNA). This includes All the Love in the World, which I think is one of the more adventurous openers to a NIN release, but I'm a bit less enthused with Every Day Is Exactly the Same. It's a pretty straightforward, just kind of 'there' track and for my money, the studio version of Love Is Not Enough through EDIETS is probably the weakest section on With Teeth.

For me, there's a couple big problems with Everything - like how the bass / guitar lines for the verses are just so boring musically - but none that overshadows the abysmal vocals. It may be the single worst use of Trent's voice in any of his music and I say this as someone who (surprise surprise) absolutely loves his vocals. Like the choruses? Not bad. But his delivery during the verses is so unbelievably grating and cringe-worthy, it's like a parody of the worst traits of pop-punk music. And maybe that's what he was going for, using the construct of this buoyant music to display an unearned, obnoxious arrogance built on weak foundations, but musically it's just irritating and I feel like whatever he may have been TRYING to do, the reception of the track and his resulting disenchantment with it (or how people felt about it) indicates pretty clearly that it didn't work.

I half suspect Branches/Bones recycled the drumline from Everything because he was unwilling to let whatever potential he saw in it musically go to waste, but it could just be a coincidence.

HWB
04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Branches/Bones still kicks my ass, what an opening.

Krazy
04-03-2018, 12:16 PM
I half suspect Branches/Bones recycled the drumline from Everything because he was unwilling to let whatever potential he saw in it musically go to waste, but it could just be a coincidence.

THAT.... is my biggest issue with Branches/Bones. I recall hearing it for the first time and just thinking “you gotta be fucking kidding, more percussion that sounds like weak HM tracks?”

Le sigh.

implanted_microchip
04-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I think it’s lame that Everything never once got busted out live since that could have been a great chance to try something diffedsnt with if and different with it, and it’s the only HM song to never be played in any capacity since they used Eatsr of Dreams as a Pinion-style intro. That snippet of rehearsal audio sounded great.