PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

simonn
09-15-2017, 10:35 AM
There are so many UK people on this board and y'all are looking at ebay

I'm on holiday at the moment, literally just found out about the Kerrang thing, I'd have grabbed this and done a scan....anyone over there help us out?

Haysey_Draws
09-15-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm on holiday at the moment, literally just found out about the Kerrang thing, I'd have grabbed this and done a scan....anyone over there help us out?

I'm here. I might pick it up over the weekend and try and scan it first thing Monday (we have a full color scanner at work) but that's the quickest i can do...

TheBang
09-15-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "fuck."
Nah. He says it so hard, it's practically "fuckt"

Amaro
09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm finding Hesitation Marks to be my favorite NIN record lately... WTF.

sweeterthan
09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm finding Hesitation Marks to be my favorite NIN record lately... WTF.

Poppy Trent is fun. That record is good. Fuck the haters.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Just had to put it out there - 10/10, would absolutely put money down for one of those slipmats. Hopefully that's a store/tour item later on down the line.

muse-lyre candy
09-15-2017, 06:18 PM
i love the extra play Rez/Ross/NIN are putting into these few (festival) shows.
it puts a playful fun intimacy between idol and (die-hard) fans.
its like when you are little and you feel obligated to go someplace with your parents; someplace you used to have so much fun at but now half the fun is in seeing if you recognize any friends that you can share the experience with--

...AND THEN YOU SEE IT
the bounce house for the first time! and you get all excited from head to toes and before the words even form in your mind and reach your lips to ask for what you want, YOU ARE ALREADY RUNNING TO IT!
somebody took the extra time and patience and thought to anticipate what was needed and delivered on a silver platter with a big red ribbon and said: 'here, this is for you!'
thank you R/R/NIN!
you have proved your greatness (in-kind) to your greatest fan-base!

gorast
09-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Just had to put it out there - 10/10, would absolutely put money down for one of those slipmats. Hopefully that's a store/tour item later on down the line.
+1 on this, I've wanted a NIN slipmat forever.

virushopper
09-15-2017, 11:18 PM
After seeing the setlist for Riot Fest, I am really looking forward to Aftershock next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChipRock
09-16-2017, 02:44 AM
Trent and Al at Riotfest
Damn. Not keen on anything Al has done for many years, but still, he remains a legend and it's nice seeing them both together.

Anyway, re Kerrang! - I'm happy to pick up a copy if anyone is keen to get one.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-16-2017, 08:29 AM
And blacken out the sky and every last one of you, MOTHER-FUCKERS

Hands down best moment of the current cycle.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
09-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Very thoughtful and considerate of Al to be holding the beer bottle so close to Trent, considering TR is a recovering alcoholic and all lol

Louie_Cypher
09-16-2017, 12:01 PM
thanks for proving once again your not very intelligent are you?, i wish you luck in life and that you educate yourself
-Louie

sweeterthan
09-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Very thoughtful and considerate of Al to be holding the beer bottle so close to Trent, considering TR is a recovering alcoholic and all lol
It doesn't look like Trent minds all that much since he posted the photo of the two of them together. Also, this is a random nin comment (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts?p=377149) and irrelevant to nin spotting.

botley
09-16-2017, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbURTqacd8k
Thanks for nothing, Just Like You Imagined! Fuck you later, Kinda I Want To! See ya never... tiny Xylophone from "The Good Soldier"?

HWB
09-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Poppy Trent is fun. That record is good. Fuck the haters.

Upon rediscovery I find Hesitation Marks to be dark like rest of NIN discography. The album is full of emotions. While I'm Still Here still brings me to tears with how Trent delivers the line "So tired on my own"

I find the album very "depressed", self loathing and even regretful in some ways.

One of my favorite NIN records

Kulerage
09-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Re-listened to With Teeth today, never noticed the very quiet ambient synthesizer during the second verse of Right Where It Belongs.

Kulerage
09-16-2017, 03:55 PM
http://chicagoist.com/2017/09/16/2017_riot_fest_friday.php#photo-1
That third photo makes Alessandro look pretty badass lol.

Halo Infinity
09-16-2017, 04:34 PM
@Amaro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=74) - I wasn't too sure about posting this outside of Random NIN Thoughts.

Anyway, your Bikes & Biking thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4659-Bikes-amp-Biking) reminded me about this clip of Trent Reznor mentioning that he sometimes liked to ride his bicycle around New Orleans as a way to clear his head out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7MkuT6vziw

Microwave Jellyfish
09-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Jesus, I'm really in love with his delivery and attitude during the Burning Bright performances. I think I could listen to the man being loud and cheeky with a megaphone all day long, even without the music.

Bajoobatron
09-17-2017, 01:45 AM
My brother and sister-in-law were supposed to see U2 but that was cancelled, so he dropped the nephews off here anyway. His wife is a diehard U2 fan, and it being the "Joshua Tree" tour, I told my brother that I expect what she's feeling is what I would feel if it were TDS and then Trent had to cancel. I said, "Well, I've got your boys for the night, so go console wifey - hope the night gets better". He proceeded to small-talk and denigrate all NIN-product post-YZ, to which I said, "#1 Ghosts, dumbass".

He said "Ghosts" and the soundtrack work was wonky electronic snooze-masturbation and I kinda wanted to smack the shit out of him. He also stated that last time he saw NIN was a bit "bleh", and then reminded me, incidentally, that I was watching his kids that night while they were at the show 4 years ago - I fucked up the date and agreed to babysit before I realized what was what. Fuckers didn't get me a shirt either. Still a little bitter about that lol.

GentlemanLoser
09-17-2017, 01:50 AM
thanks for proving once again your not very intelligent are you?, i wish you luck in life and that you educate yourself
-Louie

"you're"

GentlemanLoser
09-17-2017, 01:55 AM
Why did Reznor call "Demon Seed", "Demon Seed"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Seed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Seed)

To avoid calling it "Semen Deed"?

Bachy
09-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Seeing NIN live again has really reinvigorated my love for Add Violence.

piggy
09-18-2017, 04:37 AM
Here's a thought I had a few years back:

Maybe I've just been watching too much Twin Peaks, but I see a slight similarity between the five note melody in the middle eight of "Reptile" (from 5:13 to 5:21) and the ascending Twin Peaks leitmotif that leads into the climax of "Laura Palmer's Theme".

Now we've been informed that "She's Gone Away" was written for Twin Peaks. "She's Gone Away" directly references "Reptile". So does that mean that "Reptile" is inspired by Laura's character and that perhaps the melody in "Reptile" is an intentional reference on TR's part?

theimage13
09-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Quote from the Duffer brothers (creators of Stranger Things):

There have been some artists who like the show, so we've gotten some really big songs for not extravagant prices. Musicians seem to have responded to the show.

C'monnnnnnnnnn, TR & AR contribution!

botley
09-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Now we've been informed that "She's Gone Away" was written for Twin Peaks. "She's Gone Away" directly references "Reptile". So does that mean that "Reptile" is inspired by Laura's character and that perhaps the melody in "Reptile" is an intentional reference on TR's part?
Reading between the lines of TR's comment that the music and sound design approach of The Downward Spiral were influenced by David Lynch — I'd say, 100%, yes it is.

eversonpoe
09-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Reading between the lines of TR's comment that the music and sound design approach of The Downward Spiral were influenced by David Lynch — I'd say, 100%, yes it is.

not just influenced, if i remember correctly he said "directly informed by"

Krazy
09-18-2017, 08:00 PM
It's the last quote that intrigues me...

He's obviously referencing the Aftershock festival. I wonder if they have something planned? I think that would be better than a Q&A or a secret show at this point.
To get to experience MM and TR together sharing the same stage would be amazing.

That would explain why NIN.com says "Manson the next night!" Maybe TR might make an appearance during Manson's set? Or maybe Manson will come in for the encore for Nails' set and do a song. Anything is possible!

On paper a Trent/Manson stage reunion sounds great. In reality = WOOF!!! Manson really has some personal issues to overcome. Also not sure if Trent would even want to stick around the extra night in Sacramento just for maybe one song. Manson appearing onstage for Starfuckers? Not out of the question I suppose.

Maybe if if he gets himself sorted out JUST A LITTLE BIT (OK, a LOT), one could see Trent producing a future record.

ChipRock
09-19-2017, 05:35 AM
I knew someone should have asked TR about MM

Interesting indeed. I'm not a Manson fan as such, but for a while there he was bloody good. I'll be interested to see what comes of this, if anything.

Generally it just feels nice that Trent is reaching out and making friends with Manson and with Al Jourgensen too. Life's too short for some of the bitter feuds we see in this business, so it's cool if old friends can just hang out and put the past behind them. It certainly seems like Al is a lot happier and healthier than he was a few years back, and while Manson looks like he's got a little way to go yet, maybe this is a positive step forward. Good luck to 'em.

ninjaw
09-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Obviously Trent isn't in the same mood at all, Al is ...not dead yet ? I heard he died on stage in paris... very sick, all inked and ironed. Manson is ... oh my god he succedeed at becoming worst than he already were... his new video is ridiculous, he looks like he cannot move anymore and you can hear how his voice lost it even on studio sound now... At least Al got an excellent show even if he turned more metal than ever. I don't see what we can do with Manson except an intervention ?

09-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics

HWB
09-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics

I thought the new record was kinda forgettable, I don't think any track there was good as the best tracks from The Pale Emperor.

jubilee
09-22-2017, 05:59 PM
I have created a Soundcloud account and seemingly still cannot download that Q and A audio, am I doing something wrong?

Bachy
09-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Who the hell knows if Trent meant for these EPs to be in sync with each other, but “Less Than” fades pretty damn well into “Dear World,”

Are you less than?
Yes. Everyone seems to be asleep.

niggo
09-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Today I walked into a huge store with my girlfriend and there were a couple of bluetooth speakers for sale that were playing a random playlist. The exact moment we walked in fucking Complication started playing. We both know each other through NIN and this was just a surreal moment for both of us. Especially considering we're in Europe and NIN really isn't a big thing here, so the chances for this happening are un-fucking-believable.

Needless to say, I was really inclined to buy those damn speakers. That's some next level advertising right there.

gorast
09-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Seeing the Add Violence CD reminded me of this:

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.

Pbgut
09-24-2017, 11:12 AM

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.

Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity! :)

sonic_discord
09-24-2017, 02:13 PM

That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.

Bachy
09-24-2017, 02:48 PM
I wish Trent would bring “The Great Below” back to the live setlist.

clarktrent
09-24-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)

gorast
09-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity! :)

That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.

So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.

blassster
09-24-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)IIRC, on AATCHB live release it was already 1/2 tone lower

Pbgut
09-24-2017, 07:52 PM
So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.

Yeah, I'm not sure how old you are or how vividly you remember it (I got into NIN at the age of 9 or 10 with TDS, because my depression is strong) but around the time of the gap between AATCHB and WT, there was a proliferation of new formats and an explosion of legal and illegal consumer choices that made literally everyone in the music industry lose their minds. There is a video of Trent saying "Damn - you can watch video on two different formats now with different surround audio options or just on the internet entirely? Oh, wait, now it's four?!" that has been taken down multiple times due to copyright notices, possibly by Trent himself, due to the fact that he briefly slips into an embarrassing Pennsylvanian accent.

Less goofily though, the alternate labeling should indeed have continued with TF, as it started with FTDS having alternate content, as you said. I don't believe halo three has a "v2" labeling in the U.K., so I guess FTDS is the start of modifying the halo number. It's a little odd that The Slip had the "v" numbering for the vinyl since it's identical to the CD audio minus the DVD. Different formats didn't get different designations until AATCHB. The Slip seems to be the true anomaly, since it has the same tracklist; WT has a bonus track. My memory of post TF NIN is fuzzy as that's around the time I stop paying obsession-level attention to Trent anymore and I should have looked it up. The DE/R markings on TDS and PHM make sense since there is bonus material, whereas the only difference on these DE releases are catalog numbers, paper stock, credits (no Malm or Sheridan, and some other updated info – it seemed odd to remove the old crew that helped make the albums possible; very Stalin-esque) and either much or slightly louder audio.

Curiously my TDS vinyl doesn't even have a halo number on the back - just an Island Records catalog number. In fact I'm not sure "halo eight" exists in the U.K. So ... I guess there's always been oddities.

Bachy
09-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Most NIN are better with headphones. None moreso than “Dear World,”

sonic_discord
09-24-2017, 11:50 PM

After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.

Pbgut
09-25-2017, 02:05 AM
Always interesting to me how Trent, a regular small town guy (albeit with an insane talent), was plagued by feeling he was never good enough. And so it motivated him to work an incredible amount, to get to a station in life that few ever get to. And now he seems comparatively happy. I'm a depression sufferer myself and don't mean to give a "mental illness isn't real" speech but sometimes it feels as if another interpretation of such feelings is that it almost seems like his future self was telling him to keep working and to keep pushing through everything to get somewhere that he probably couldn't fully understand as a younger person. (Not to gloss over the fact that these feelings were so exhausting that he had to self-medicate.)

Bachy
09-25-2017, 09:38 PM
After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.

I was lucky enough to see “Into The Void” during the Tension tour. I pretty much lost it.

nooneimportant
09-26-2017, 06:48 AM
I might have to read this bio after allhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170926/08df303d31f6387d43d3d1139ff50d37.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm amused or mortified that Al Jourgensen could apparently suck his own dick but based on what I've heard about him over the years I guess I shouldn't be surprised?

Kulerage
09-26-2017, 05:46 PM
I might have to read this bio after allhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170926/08df303d31f6387d43d3d1139ff50d37.jpg
Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.

kargath
09-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.Agreed

muse-lyre candy
09-27-2017, 03:03 AM
brought on by my current state of NIN-mania-
..and Lords of Acid with En Esch, KMFDM with ohGr
DAMN I WISH I KNEW WHERE MY WAXTRAX BLACK BOXSET WAS PACKED...
i'd be dusting that shit off!

astfgyl
09-27-2017, 03:38 AM
I would hate to be the person who has to clean up all that tape at the end of each gig.

Actually I would love to be that person. Why do I lie to myself...

Fred
09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Time stretching artifacts be damned... I'd really like to hear Can I Stay Here? with the vocals of Capital G.

TheRealNs1
09-27-2017, 07:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4XuZ9aRl.jpg (https://imgur.com/4XuZ9aR)

"What is, Tapeworm?"

Halo Infinity
09-27-2017, 07:53 PM
For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

sheepdean
09-27-2017, 08:01 PM
For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.
Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery

thenorthwood
09-27-2017, 08:35 PM
My mother called me tonight and informed me this was an answer on Jeopardy. She said her and my father both answered simultaneously. I guess my talking incessantly about NIN over the years has finally added some value to their lives lol. That and the occasional answer to the crossword puzzles my mom enjoys.

Halo Infinity
09-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery
I just thought of it as a greatest hits release, but with entire albums featuring Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, and just having With Teeth included since it was also a hit.

To give you an example, it came to mind when I thought of these Radiohead and Korn releases I found on Amazon.com. (But yes, I see what you mean since those albums are on the same label, which is why it really was done out of sheer imagination and wishful thinking.) Anyway, I just thought of using those bands as an example since I recall you following both bands before if I remembered correctly.

The Radiohead box set had Pablo Honey up to Hail to the Thief. (Which I also understand, since In Rainbows was their first album post-EMI.)

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1492/cover_1126327122010.jpg

As for Korn, they had a release with Korn up to Untouchables. That also came out after Take A Look in the Mirror, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't included, since it only came out the following year after Untouchables while also still being on Epic/Immortal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEdrs-Q7L.jpg

I have also considered those reasons before, but I was also playing around with that type of idea after seeing those types of releases by Radiohead and Korn. (In spite of it being unrealistic and impossible.) This also lead me to making up random imaginary box sets with other bands too.

I'm sorry, it was hard for me to actually explain, but I hope that these examples were clear enough.

@piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) - I hope that you can help me out too. We have actually brought up our sentiments of NIN before and after With Teeth too. I also think/hope that you'd easily get where I'm coming from here.

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - Come to think of it, I also wondered what your take on this sort of thing would be as well.

piggy
09-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Well, it would make sense for one of those "album classics" sets, since they always have five and Broken could more or less count as an album (provided the label saw it that way, too.) But yeah, thinking of it as the "mainstream" years of NIN would also make sense. The last time NIN truly had a "hit" was 2005, so it could be a set that covers the years when NIN was still on the charts and more in the public consciousness.

TheBang
09-28-2017, 03:48 AM
Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums?
Actually, I've been thinking about this recently. I believe Trent will be able to regain all copyrights to Pretty Hate Machine in 7 years:

https://futureofmusic.org/article/fact-sheet/right-terminate-musicians%E2%80%99-guide-copyright-reversion

In fact, he's already within the 10 year notification window, so he could have already informed the current rights holders that he intends to revert the copyright in 2024.

After that, he's free to make that collection with Interscope. :) And, of course, in rolling succession, he'll be able to revert copyrights for Broken, TDS, etc.

elevenism
09-28-2017, 06:02 AM
I just thought of it as a greatest hits release, but with entire albums featuring Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, and just having With Teeth included since it was also a hit.

To give you an example, it came to mind when I thought of these Radiohead and Korn releases I found on Amazon.com. (But yes, I see what you mean since those albums are on the same label, which is why it really was done out of sheer imagination and wishful thinking.) Anyway, I just thought of using those bands as an example since I recall you following both bands before if I remembered correctly.

The Radiohead box set had Pablo Honey up to Hail to the Thief. (Which I also understand, since In Rainbows was their first album post-EMI.)

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1492/cover_1126327122010.jpg

As for Korn, they had a release with Korn up to Untouchables. That also came out after Take A Look in the Mirror, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't included, since it only came out the following year after Untouchables while also still being on Epic/Immortal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEdrs-Q7L.jpg

I have also considered those reasons before, but I was also playing around with that type of idea after seeing those types of releases by Radiohead and Korn. (In spite of it being unrealistic and impossible.) This also lead me to making up random imaginary box sets with other bands too.

I'm sorry, it was hard for me to actually explain, but I hope that these examples were clear enough.

@piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) - I hope that you can help me out too. We have actually brought up our sentiments of NIN before and after With Teeth too. I also think/hope that you'd easily get where I'm coming from here.

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - Come to think of it, I also wondered what your take on this sort of thing would be as well.having been a hardcore fan since broken, I think it would be fucking great. I would definitely want it to be every halo like that expensive LZ box set though. Get the whole collection, remastered, for like $300. And I think it WILL happen eventually

thevoid99
09-28-2017, 04:25 PM
I would love to have a massive NIN box set for every halo plus a book with liner notes about each release written by fans of the band including musicians and composers. I would pay $500-$1K for that shit.

Ribbitman
09-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Big Man With A Gun always makes my head pound, heart beat realy fast, and makes me want to do the most violent shit ever. Whenever I'm doing wind sprints to this song I start getting dizzy during "me and my fucking gun" at the end

Jon
09-29-2017, 07:21 AM

(Throwing this one in there):

"The Hand That Feeds" is labeled as "HALO_18", while the Hot Topic picture disc is labeled as "HALO_18 V2"

mfte
09-29-2017, 08:52 AM

YES. Such a beautiful song. I have been listening to Deviations a lot and really marvel about how good it is.
I remember seeing it live on Fragile 2.0 tour and the climax with the video of the person falling into the water made me lose control over my bladder.

streetman
09-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Howard Stern once again offhandedly insults Trent Reznor (at around the 39:10 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QqnDZ4KfaY

streetman
09-29-2017, 05:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4XuZ9aRl.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/dylan.couldrey/videos/1935055156504703/

(https://imgur.com/4XuZ9aR)

"REZZZZ-SNORE" is... Too bad they cut 'Trent' out. Hopefully a better video surfaces.

quietime
09-29-2017, 06:51 PM
^ Trent isn't cut out. It's just how FB loops the clip.

Volk
09-30-2017, 06:16 AM
I wish Trent would bring "Deep" back into the live setlist.

Bachy
09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Another song Trent needs to start performing live again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJOtp2fmro

Ribbitman
10-01-2017, 02:00 AM
I love Was It Worth It, but there is no way it's from the Fragile Era

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 07:35 AM

I found myself thinking that about most of the extra tracks from Deviations. I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.

There doesn't really seem to be any era of NIN that has very much unreleased stuff anyway. Aside from remixes, I mean. There are things like A Violet Fluid and Non Entity and all that, but they all turned up on official releases at some point. Or Now I'm Nothing, which probably doesn't have a studio version at all.

If I take a look through some folders on my own laptop here, I probably have 200 little sketches of musical ideas which never got off the ground in any way. I'd imagine what didn't make it on to The Fragile in the first place was mostly just things like that. I would be surprised if there was even a single completed song which hasn't already made its way on to some release or another.

botley
10-01-2017, 08:05 AM
^^ You guys sure about that? They had a team of top-notch contributors (all working crazy hours for two full years) on The Fragile recording sessions, and by every account there was a LOT of disparate material left over.

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 08:36 AM
^^ You guys sure about that? They had a team of top-notch contributors (all working crazy hours for two full years) on The Fragile recording sessions, and by every account there was a LOT of disparate material left over.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of that over the years and I've always hoped that would be the case, that there would be another 2 albums worth of unreleased gems knocking about somewhere. The point where I started to become skeptical was when I heard Claustrophobia Machine. It basically sounds like some old thing that I wouldn't even release had I made it myself, and that thing making the cut didn't bode well for the rest of the fabled unreleased stuff. So when I listened more closely to the rest of the extra tracks, I began to form the opinion I've expressed in my above post.

Lerxto
10-01-2017, 08:40 AM
I found myself thinking that about most of the extra tracks from Deviations. I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.

There doesn't really seem to be any era of NIN that has very much unreleased stuff anyway. Aside from remixes, I mean. There are things like A Violet Fluid and Non Entity and all that, but they all turned up on official releases at some point. Or Now I'm Nothing, which probably doesn't have a studio version at all.

If I take a look through some folders on my own laptop here, I probably have 200 little sketches of musical ideas which never got off the ground in any way. I'd imagine what didn't make it on to The Fragile in the first place was mostly just things like that. I would be surprised if there was even a single completed song which hasn't already made its way on to some release or another.

I think NIN has a lot of unreleased stuff pre-YZ (up to With Teeth), actually. I recall Dave Grohl saying that what he thought was TR's best work is still yet to be heard in an interview a few years ago.

When I look at other bands that have plenty of bootlegged studio materials, I can't help but think that Trent must be really good at keeping stuff unreleased.

This man has created music for 30 years, and since Broken - look at what we've got. Remixes aside, 3 demos from TDS deluxe, Top Of The Hour and ZiggyTardust (aka Lost Fragile Tracks). I think that's it?

Kulerage
10-01-2017, 02:11 PM
No doubt that some of these songs were completed but unreleased, but the idea of taking something sketchy and making it complete may have happened on some Deviations tracks

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 03:40 PM
I was listening to Niggy Tardust today, and it seems amazing to me, that if he had all this wealth of unreleased stuff, that he had to resort to reusing a track he had already given to somebody to pad out the Deviations release. I just don't think any more exists tbh. Well nothing that ever got past the bare sketch stage anyway.

And I'm as disappointed as anybody else with the realisation that the material simply isn't there. I had really hoped there was loads more from that era of NIN which happens to be my favourite.

I would love to hear a With Teeth Deviations next all the same, even if it was old sketches brought to full fruition in the now.

BRoswell
10-01-2017, 04:09 PM
I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.

There's no evidence to support that, and I can't really see them spending the time to do that anyway. It's kind of pointless to make a musical sketch sound like an ever so slightly more detailed musical sketch.

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 05:00 PM
There's no evidence to support that, and I can't really see them spending the time to do that anyway. It's kind of pointless to make a musical sketch sound like an ever so slightly more detailed musical sketch.

Yeah maybe and maybe not. There is no evidence to the contrary, either. They certainly spent time on the instrumental versions of all of the tunes as it is, so why not spend the extra hour or two completing these little pieces?

BRoswell
10-01-2017, 06:03 PM
The burden of proof lies on you in this case. The tracks have been presented as being musical sketches from that time period. I personally see no reason for them to do something like that and hide it.

r_z
10-01-2017, 06:56 PM
I remember Trent talking in an interview where 10 Miles High was discussed how there were some other songs with "equally embarrassing lyrics" left. Or something like that. Maybe he was talking about the vocal versions from those 'new' instrumentals that appeared on D1?

Also, didn't Ezrin mention in his Essay for the 'definitive' version of TF how he had to sift through a lot of songs in oder to arrive on a final sequence? I'm sure that at the stage he got brought in he wasn't given any demos or just sketches to arrange a sequence for the album.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a D2: TF release containing those songs as well as Slipping Away, The Great Collapse, AATCHB. And I hope 'Deviations' is not just Trent's way to sell us instrumental versions of his songs as anything other than... well... just instrumentals.

Pbgut
10-01-2017, 06:59 PM

The drums sound like they were pieced together from similar "sound creation" experiments as the other tracks, and the rhythm and feel aren't that different from the intro on The Big Come Down. The guitar breakdown with the squalling guitar drone sounds pretty similar in tone to TF (the song). Many of the outtakes, including this one, we have that aren't just segues seem to flirt with the same DnB/90s hip hop beats/electronica that Trent was in love with back then. Paranoia is fun, but make sure you actually analyze it.

As for the other stuff, Bob Ezrin wrote in the TF vinyl booklet that there was four hours of music. On TFD1, we have instrumentals for 2 1/2 hours. We already know that there are vocal tracks (in whatever shape) for several of these unreleased songs; whichever ones are designated as "instrumental." I wouldn't have guessed that the original of 10 Miles High was a kind of cock-rock tune; maybe there are a lot of alternate arrangements like that. It's impossible to know if there were really four hours of music, but I don't think there's any reason to assume there was nothing else, or that it had to be finished 17 years later – and that they'd be dishonest about it. He worked on it for two years with several other people. (I do think it's possible he's used some of the tracks as a basis for later works, considering pretty much every band does that.)

Pbgut
10-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I remember Trent talking in an interview where 10 Miles High was discussed how there were some other songs with "equally embarrassing lyrics" left. Or something like that. Maybe he was talking about the vocal versions from those 'new' instrumentals that appeared on D1?

Also, didn't Ezrin mention in his Essay for the 'definitive' version of TF how he had to sift through a lot of songs in oder to arrive on a final sequence? I'm sure that at the stage he got brought in he wasn't given any demos or just sketches to arrange a sequence for the album.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a D2: TF release containing those songs as well as Slipping Away, The Great Collapse, AATCHB. And I hope 'Deviations' is not just Trent's way to sell us instrumental versions of his songs as anything other than... well... just instrumentals.

Yeah, BE said there was four hours of material! I feel like that must be a slight misremembering but we do have 2 1/2 hours of stuff from Deviations, plus maybe another 20 minutes of b-sides from the era, so who knows. I really hope we get a complete 20th anniversary edition with those b-sides and maybe the new outtakes with the original vocals on 'em, and some demos. The only problem with this is pretty much everyone who would want a collection of the b-sides 20 years later probably already has those halos. (I'm not a surround sound guy but if they don't put out the 5.1 mix too I'm worried several people on this board will die.)

neorev
10-01-2017, 07:59 PM
When I see The Fragile: Deviations 1, it makes me think there will be a Deviations 2 for it. It seems to dumb to call another album With Teeth: Deviations 2. The number at the end makes me think it's the first of however many parts. If a release has only 1 Deviation planned, it would just be called The Fragile: Deviations. The way Trent and co. have been talking about The Fragile, I honestly expected more than what we go so far. Called different album's Deviations with numbers would just be confusing and strange.

Perhaps when we get the next set of Definitive Editions we'll get The Fragile: Deviations 2. Then Trent will focus on other releases like Still and etc.

piggy
10-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Agreed. There will most likely be a "Deviations 2" of TF and hopefully it will be the 5.1 mix.

Now, speaking of that Bob Ezrin essay, does anyone have scans or photos of it? I've been wanting to transcribe it for the NIN wiki.

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 03:44 AM
I don't think there's any reason to assume there was nothing else, or that it had to be finished 17 years later – and that they'd be dishonest about it. He worked on it for two years with several other people. (I do think it's possible he's used some of the tracks as a basis for later works, considering pretty much every band does that.)

I don't see what is so outlandish about the idea that TR/AR finished off some or all of those tracks during the process of making Deviations. And I'm pretty sure I haven't said they were being dishonest about it either.

Here is the description from nin.com...

"LIMITED EDITION 4 LP DECONSTRUCTION OF THE FRAGILE BY TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS CLOCKING IN AT 150 MINUTES! CONTAINS INSTRUMENTALS, ALTERNATE VERSIONS AND OVER AN HOUR OF NEVER BEFORE HEARD MATERIAL FROM THE ORIGINAL FRAGILE RECORDING SESSIONS. A COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE FOR FANS OF THE ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE."

Nowhere there does it say that none of the tracks were finished off in 2015/16/17. So this idea of saying they were dishonest about it didn't come from me. Besides, even the main original album tracks have extra things added where the vocals have been taken away, and I presumed all along that they were new additions, using the type of sounds found on the album, rather than just having all those little things which were left out of the original recordings and simply putting them back in.

I also cannot understand why it is getting peoples' backs up at the mere idea that the extra stuff might have been lying around in an unfinished state.

Saying that there is over an hour of never before heard material from the original sessions does not mean or imply that it wasn't recently finished off, added to, or brought up to scratch in some way during the process. If everything was ready and done, why was AR credited in the description at all? What exactly did he do, then?

I don't think the material is there, other folks think that it is. We will have to agree to disagree until something different happens. The idea of there being more Deviations from this album involving more new material doesn't seem realistic to me (because of the fact they chose to include Claustrophobia Machine, which to my ears does not fit in any way with the rest of the album sonically), and i think that if there is to be a Deviations 2 stemming from the same album, it would likely have to be the vocal version of the same thing.

Pbgut
10-02-2017, 06:31 AM
I don't see what is so outlandish about the idea that TR/AR finished off some or all of those tracks during the process of making Deviations. And I'm pretty sure I haven't said they were being dishonest about it either.

Here is the description from nin.com...

"LIMITED EDITION 4 LP DECONSTRUCTION OF THE FRAGILE BY TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS CLOCKING IN AT 150 MINUTES! CONTAINS INSTRUMENTALS, ALTERNATE VERSIONS AND OVER AN HOUR OF NEVER BEFORE HEARD MATERIAL FROM THE ORIGINAL FRAGILE RECORDING SESSIONS. A COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE FOR FANS OF THE ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE."

Nowhere there does it say that none of the tracks were finished off in 2015/16/17. So this idea of saying they were dishonest about it didn't come from me. Besides, even the main original album tracks have extra things added where the vocals have been taken away, and I presumed all along that they were new additions, using the type of sounds found on the album, rather than just having all those little things which were left out of the original recordings and simply putting them back in.

I also cannot understand why it is getting peoples' backs up at the mere idea that the extra stuff might have been lying around in an unfinished state.

If reason isn't enough for you, here are the online diaries. One of the first phrases is "endless revisions." http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/51370793367/the-fragile-production-journals-published-on-the In the same essay, the writer asks "I wonder what happens with all those parts they don't use."

Again: paranoia is fun. But you have to analyze it. If it makes no sense, throw it out.

With pretty much any album recording session, alternate mixes/takes/arrangements are tried out. With the advent of digital recording, it became incredibly easy to tweak things and create alternate versions. That's just standard. We know from the old studio diaries posted online that there were several different arrangements of SD and WITT made in a week or two, and that was just in the last couple months of recording. With TR's obsessive work ethic, and his initial difficulty writing new material, it doesn't surprise me that there were tracks like "Claustrophobia Machine" to get the juices flowing. Nothing new was added. He spent two years working on it, with various segues and intros being cut off and added on for flow. Were the instrumental mixes made more recently? Probably. But they're just the pre-existing alternate arrangements and mixes that are made for any Pro Tools-era album with the vocals muted. I guess your assumptions are coming from not understanding how he works and how many alternate arrangements he tried but - they're not gonna record an acoustic guitar part for The Wretched (which also shows up on The Wretched remix from 2000, so - it's from that era) 18 years later just for the hell of it. It makes no sense. It's a document of the alternate mixes from the original sessions, like any other boxset/reissue, with the vocals muted.

And again, Bob Ezrin said there were four hours of music. TR said a couple of years ago that he found a large number of demos as well. Also it's pretty unusual to think or worry about the concept of many of these tracks as "finished" when they're all instrumental and several of the vinyl-exclusive tracks are little segue tracks like "Last Heard From." If that's "finished" enough to put out, why would you assume that any work was done on the rest. People are annoyed because the thinking is so irrational - like assuming that Instagram post of the Add Violence CD was fake because "you could just make your own CD with the vinyl artwork" or whatever.

"Never before heard material from the original Fragile sessions" means that all that stuff existed, probably mixed down to DAT. (There was a bad DAT audio error of the alt. La Mer on Apple Music, and there isn't any reason to use DATs any more.) "Deconstructed" means that they put an entirely new sequence of the album together from outtakes and instrumental mixes of the pre-existing alternate arrangements we know exist.

Pbgut
10-02-2017, 06:38 AM
Agreed. There will most likely be a "Deviations 2" of TF and hopefully it will be the 5.1 mix.

Now, speaking of that Bob Ezrin essay, does anyone have scans or photos of it? I've been wanting to transcribe it for the NIN wiki.

Found a very large PDF of the essay on reddit: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2b7zmeojfybq1ib/Nothing+and+Nowhere.pdf

muse-lyre candy
10-02-2017, 06:38 AM
i used to think to meet the man behind the music would be the coolest thing; the cherry on top of the sundae i call my bucket list.
now i find myself realizing that at that moment in time my brain would def fail me and not one thing coherent and intelligent would come out of my mouth and it would turn into an absolute nightmare...
:confused:

Pbgut
10-02-2017, 06:50 AM
i used to think to meet the man behind the music would be the coolest thing; the cherry on top of the sundae i call my bucket list.
now i find myself realizing that at that moment in time my brain would def fail me and not one thing coherent and intelligent would come out of my mouth and it would turn into an absolute nightmare...
[emoji782]

A couple of college friends got to work with him (or rather, meet him). They worked at the precursors to Apple Music in the Bay Area, where he was brought in as a consultant. I think they got to meet him somewhere around 2008-09? Can't remember. They weren't fans or anything. I was briefly jealous but then realized the same thing you did. I'd probably have fainted. TR had an outsized influence on my life since I didn't really like the role models I got at birth. And what would I say? "I listened to your music thousands of times as a teenager and basically started making hermetic electronic music because of you." He'd run out of the building. :)

azad_ninja
10-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Howard Stern once again offhandedly insults Trent Reznor (at around the 39:10 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QqnDZ4KfaY

Meh, that's just Howard schtick pretending to be big and important. He knows Trent would never do it, so he acts like a bigshot. It's tongue and cheek.

Its more annoying when he laments that Trent is cleaned up and doesnt wear cornstarch anymore

muse-lyre candy
10-02-2017, 07:02 AM
A couple of college friends got to work with him (or rather, meet him). They worked at the precursors to Apple Music in the Bay Area, where he was brought in as a consultant. I think they got to meet him somewhere around 2008-09? Can't remember. They weren't fans or anything. I was briefly jealous but then realized the same thing you did. I'd probably have fainted. TR had an outsized influence on my life since I didn't really like the role models I got at birth. And what would I say? "I listened to your music thousands of times as a teenager and basically started making hermetic electronic music because of you." He'd run out of the building. :)
that last part made me laugh so hard i thought i might piss myself...
ty for that
:rolleyes:

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 07:21 AM
With pretty much any album recording session, alternate mixes/takes/arrangements are tried out. With the advent of digital recording, it became incredibly easy to tweak things and create alternate versions. That's just standard. We know from the old studio diaries posted online that there were several different arrangements of SD and WITT made in a week or two, and that was just in the last couple months of recording. With TR's obsessive work ethic, and his initial difficulty writing new material, it doesn't surprise me that there were tracks like "Claustrophobia Machine" to get the juices flowing. Nothing new was added. He spent two years working on it, with various segues and intros being cut off and added on for flow. Were the instrumentals mixes made more recently? Probably. But they're just the pre-existing alternate arrangements and mixes that are made for any Pro Tools-era album with the vocals muted. I guess your assumptions are coming from not understanding how he works and how many alternate arrangements he tried but - they're not gonna record an acoustic guitar part for The Wretched (which also shows up on The Wretched remix from 2000, so - it's from that era) 18 years later just for the hell of it. It makes no sense. It's a document of the alternate mixes from the original sessions, like any other boxset/reissue, with the vocals muted.

And again, Bob Ezrin said there were four hours of music. TR said a couple of years ago that he found a large number of demos as well. Also it's pretty unusual to think or worry about the concept of many of these tracks as "finished" when they're all instrumental and several of the vinyl-exclusive tracks are little segue tracks like "Last Heard From." If that's "finished" enough to put out, why would you assume that any work was done on the rest. People are annoyed because the thinking is so irrational - like assuming that Instagram post of the Add Violence CD was fake because "you could just make your own CD with the vinyl artwork" or whatever.

If reason isn't enough for you, here are the online diaries. One of the first phrases is "endless revisions." http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/51370793367/the-fragile-production-journals-published-on-the

"Never before heard material from the original Fragile sessions" means that all that stuff existed, probably mixed down to DAT. (There was a bad DAT audio error of the alt. La Mer on Apple Music, and there isn't any reason to use DATs any more.) "Deconstructed" means that they put an entirely new sequence of the album together from outtakes and instrumental mixes of the pre-existing alternate arrangements we know exist.

The thinking is so irrational? Seriously? You say nothing new was added. That is a fairly unambiguous statement. Should I presume you know all of this information for a fact? Can you say for a fact what condition the original recordings were in or to what extent they were finished? Well done if you can. I have also read those online diaries before and they don't give away very much pertaining to this particular release one way or the other, except to say there were many drafts of many of the songs. Fair enough about the DAT audio error, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about the rest of the extra tracks.

This is nothing like presuming the AV cd was a fake. There was photographic evidence in that case from a guy who is friends with a forum user. So how is this anything like that? I would appreciate not being lumped in with that particular instance, thanks.

Have we had any sort of confirmation either way that these tracks were all finished and nothing new whatsoever has been done to them? Or for that matter have we had any confirmation of anything that would support my feelings on it? None that I know of, so unless you have something up your sleeve in that regard, this comes down to a simple difference of opinion. You are entitled to think however you like about it, as am I.

What I do not appreciate is you trying to say that my opinion is somehow irrational, or being compared to entirely different arguments which have taken place on the forums. I have given perfectly rational explanations for the thoughts I have around the release. I have no problem being proven wrong, if there is any actual proof of anything. Your saying if reason isn't enough just sounds like you are saying it is irrefutable, where there is nothing anywhere to say for sure one way or the other.

I haven't said anywhere at all that there was definitely anything new added, either. The simple fact here is that I don't truly know the answer and haven't once claimed that I did. I expressed a feeling I get when listening to the thing.

So peace and love and all that, and unless some new information surfaces around the mixing/sequencing process for Deviations 1, I don't have anything further to add to the discussion.

OSLIN
10-02-2017, 07:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4XuZ9aRl.jpg

(https://imgur.com/4XuZ9aR)

Who is Josh Wink?

Pbgut
10-02-2017, 08:10 AM
The thinking is so irrational? Seriously? You say nothing new was added. That is a fairly unambiguous statement. Should I presume you know all of this information for a fact? Can you say for a fact what condition the original recordings were in or to what extent they were finished? Well done if you can.

The pdf booklet says "All music is from the original Fragile sessions in New Orleans, 1997-1999." The old studio journals says that there were alternate versions of tracks, many parts that were not used. Bob Ezrin says there was four hours of music. Trent said there were a ton of "demos" - considering the state of the TDS demos, it's not hard to believe there were similar tracks for TF. Some of the tracks on the reissue barely sound like finished songs. Assuming all these people are lying to you, and not being able to extrapolate from this basic information – well, if you don't like the "i" word, come up with your own but it makes no sense. It is the least likely explanation to assume, based on all of that evidence (and the basic sentence "All music is from the original Fragile sessions in New Orleans, 1997-1999."), that they made any new music to pass it off as old music for literally no reason.

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
The pdf booklet says "All music is from the original Fragile sessions in New Orleans, 1997-1999." The old studio journals says that there were alternate versions of tracks, many parts that were not used. Bob Ezrin says there was four hours of music. Trent said there were a ton of "demos" - considering the state of the TDS demos, it's not hard to believe there were similar tracks for TF. Some of the tracks on the reissue barely sound like finished songs. Assuming all these people are lying to you, and not being able to extrapolate from this basic information – well, if you don't like the "i" word, come up with your own but it makes no sense. It is the least likely explanation to assume, based on all of that evidence (and the basic sentence "All music is from the original Fragile sessions in New Orleans, 1997-1999."), that they made any new music to pass it off as old music for literally no reason.

Right so, pics or it didn't happen...

Joking. That pretty much solves that argument. I'll get back in my box. :o

I hadn't noticed that on the pdf at all in fairness.

niggo
10-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Comparing live shows from 2008 and 2017 and while I miss the heavier parts I'm glad that TR's starting to sound like himself again. In a strange way, he does sound kinda younger now than he did almost 10 years ago. Maybe cause he's successfully hitting the higher notes again. And I guess his voice not being completely fucked helps too.

HWB
10-02-2017, 10:57 AM
I thought that Lights In The Sky tour had some amazing loud vocal moments from Trent, it seems like Trent stopped screaming mostly during the Tension tour, which also came with "Hesitation Marks" which featured some of his tamest vocals to date, not meaning to call any of those things bad, I actually enjoyed his vocals in HM.

But I agree, his vocals in the 2017 performances are amazing, The Wretched took my fucking breath away, those whispers he does sound so amazingly disturbing, best performance I've seen of that song easily.

mfte
10-02-2017, 01:58 PM
I could not imagine TR adding additional part to those compositions. I remember an interview with him in regards to remastering PHM where he said there was a temptation to update things like outdated sounding reverb effects but that would needlessly change the spirit of the original recording.

Has anyone considered the following? There is more material from these sessions that sounds like more completed songs but he didn't want Deviations to be an experience where the focus is taken away from the original songs? I can't see him just dumping a bunch of stuff onto a release like this for the sake of releasing unheard material. Using the Claustrophobia Machine example I think there was intent behind including it as opposed him thinking "what is the least shitty I can pad this release with".... "should I include Claustrophobia Machine or that 10 min outake of Danny playing the didgeridoo?"

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Look, I stand corrected about that thought I was having, but Claustrophobia Machine to me is right up there with the very worst of NIN. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and TR/AR saw fit to leave it in there so maybe it is just me.

Actually, now that I think of it, that song sort of proves the point that they probably didn't touch any of it up, because to leave it in that condition while touching other things up would surely be madness.

Like everybody else here, I would love nothing more than another 6 hours to a week of unreleased TF material. I would prefer to be wrong than right in that regard.

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Another random thought, just to deflect things a bit...

Having given the last couple of days listening to Niggy Tardust, I am really surprised that TR didn't carry forward more of an influence from that than he appears to have. There are some really great ideas, both sonically and musically going on there.

r_z
10-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Look, I stand corrected about that thought I was having, but Claustrophobia Machine to me is right up there with the very worst of NIN. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and TR/AR saw fit to leave it in there so maybe it is just me.

Actually, now that I think of it, that song sort of proves the point that they probably didn't touch any of it up, because to leave it in that condition while touching other things up would surely be madness.

Like everybody else here, I would love nothing more than another 6 hours to a week of unreleased TF material. I would prefer to be wrong than right in that regard.
Claustrophobia Machine reminded me of one quote of Trent's. Allegedly they made a list of artists whose music should act as an influence for what would become the new album, The Fragile. Among other artists I remember him mentioning Atari Teenage Riot, which that song bears a certain resemblance to, I think.

astfgyl
10-04-2017, 05:25 AM
Claustrophobia Machine reminded me of one quote of Trent's. Allegedly they made a list of artists whose music should act as an influence for what would become the new album, The Fragile. Among other artists I remember him mentioning Atari Teenage Riot, which that song bears a certain resemblance to, I think.

If you mean it is a bad song, then I think it bears a striking similarity to ATR. Just kidding (a bit), I see what you are getting at.

While we are on the subject of The Fragile, another thought I had (while looking at 31 Ghosts IV live), was that the closest NIN ever got to reaching anything like the heights of TF since it was released was on Ghosts I-IV.

I am convinced there is the makings of an album in there that could be at least as good or possibly even surpass TF. If only he had given 2 solid years fleshing out those ideas and adding vocals to it...

Hey, imagine if the next deviations was Ghosts I-IV: Deviations 2, where they basically went the opposite way to Deviations 1, and distilled down the 4 discs to 2 and added vocals. A wide awake wet dream for me right there.

And lastly (because I am king of the long-winded post) has anybody here had a go of putting together a sort of less meandering version of Ghosts? Something like getting it down to 1 or 2 discs. I'm going to give it a go this evening.

r_z
10-04-2017, 10:42 AM
has anybody here had a go of putting together a sort of less meandering version of Ghosts? Something like getting it down to 1 or 2 discs. I'm going to give it a go this evening.

Yeah, I got it down to one disc and tried to trim the fat a little. I even went to the multitracks to re-edit the endings/beginnings of some songs on there that fade into each other. The tracklist goes like this:

01. 1 Ghosts I
02. 2 Ghosts I
03. 6 Ghosts I
04. 7 Ghosts I
05. 8 Ghosts I
06. 14 Ghosts II
07. 18 Ghosts II
08. 16 Ghosts II
09. 21 Ghosts III
10. 23 Ghosts III
11. 27 Ghosts III
12. 28 Ghosts IV
13. 29 Ghosts IV
14. 31 Ghosts IV
15. 32 Ghosts IV
16. 35 Ghosts IV
17. 33 Ghosts IV
18. 34 Ghosts IV

fillow
10-04-2017, 11:38 AM
I wonder if somewhere down the line Trentticus will pull a Zimmer/Morriccone/Mansell thing and do a tour or a few shows playing only score material.

implanted_microchip
10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
I wonder if somewhere down the line Trentticus will pull a Zimmer/Morriccone/Mansell thing and do a tour or a few shows playing only score material.
I'd expect that to be woven into the Still-style tour Trent discussed at the Chicago Q&A.

Kulerage
10-04-2017, 08:59 PM
I'd expect that to be woven into the Still-style tour Trent discussed at the Chicago Q&A.
Now I WANT this to happen

sweeterthan
10-04-2017, 11:29 PM
Now I WANT this to happen

Yes, but at a place I can go to.

snaapz
10-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Where's Rob Sheridan?

BRoswell
10-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Where's Rob Sheridan?

He's all around us.

Deepvoid
10-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Where's Rob Sheridan?

Right where he belongs.

fillow
10-05-2017, 11:51 AM
He's gone, he's gone, he's gone away

astfgyl
10-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I got it down to one disc and tried to trim the fat a little. I even went to the multitracks to re-edit the endings/beginnings of some songs on there that fade into each other. The tracklist goes like this:

01. 1 Ghosts I
02. 2 Ghosts I
03. 6 Ghosts I
04. 7 Ghosts I
05. 8 Ghosts I
06. 14 Ghosts II
07. 18 Ghosts II
08. 16 Ghosts II
09. 21 Ghosts III
10. 23 Ghosts III
11. 27 Ghosts III
12. 28 Ghosts IV
13. 29 Ghosts IV
14. 31 Ghosts IV
15. 32 Ghosts IV
16. 35 Ghosts IV
17. 33 Ghosts IV
18. 34 Ghosts IV

I never got around to doing my own yet, I ended up setting my face on fire so that sort of got in the way but I hadn't even thought as far as getting into the multitracks for my comp. I could even extend some of the shorter ones that way, but that might be getting a bit too much into making my own thing out of it. I'll probably start with keeping it to a single disc worth and see how mine matches up to yours.

Ribbitman
10-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Not Anymore makes my head start to spin and pound. You know which part

muse-lyre candy
10-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Not Anymore makes my head start to spin and pound. You know which part
ok, that sounded kinda hot...
(sorry head in the gutter...)
d'oh!

Ribbitman
10-06-2017, 02:21 AM
ok, that sounded kinda hot...
(sorry head in the gutter...)
d'oh!

rereading that… prob could have worded it better lol

wizfan
10-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Watching the 2017/07/30 pro-shot from ninlive.

Holy. Shit.

How did they become so dangerous again? Gave Up's outro nearly vaporized me.

Pbgut
10-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Watching the 2017/07/30 pro-shot from ninlive.

Holy. Shit.

How did they become so dangerous again? Gave Up's outro nearly vaporized me.

Thanks for this. So far I like it better than the halo live releases. It's so good.

I didn't get to see NIN during TF when I was really into them, but I'm not sure the video screen focus came across so well recorded? This stage setup is kind of perfect for their music I think.

wizfan
10-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for this. So far I like it better than the halo live releases. It's so good.

I didn't get to see NIN during TF when I was really into them, but I'm not sure the video screen focus came across so well recorded? This stage setup is kind of perfect for their music I think.

Yup! Annnnd I forgot to give credit to TheBang who recorded the whole thing. You rule, man.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2017, 08:39 PM
It's been a long time since I've done this, but I was just reminded of how I used to unwind on Friday and Saturday nights watching Closure. I might do that again. Even if it's been a while, I also still can't stopping thinking of watching Closure as one of the things to do on a Friday and/or Saturday night in.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Eichalvindore - VHS, but I will get around to also finally ordering the DVD eventually. It just slipped my mind as I haven't watched Closure in a such while.

Pbgut
10-06-2017, 10:33 PM
@Halo Infinity
VHS or DVD (i finally ordered the DVD from Amazon last week; but still have my old school '96ish pirated VHS, plus the original VHS box release)

I'm almost certain Closure was never released officially on DVD. There are the "leaked" files on torrent sites but that must be a bootleg.

sick among the pure
10-07-2017, 12:46 AM
I'm almost certain Closure was never released officially on DVD. There are the "leaked" files on torrent sites but that must be a bootleg.

It's a special present, take it as you will. ;)

Pbgut
10-07-2017, 07:11 AM
It's a special present, take it as you will. ;)

haha, it's either too early or I am too dumb but my teenage-NIN obsessed mind has recently been reactivated so I'm just assuming this means there are genuine physical prototypes that someone is selling on Amazon, which makes no sense.

Also ... why don't we have HD transfers yet of the classic vids shot on film. I realize music videos are technically crass commercial ads occasionally disguised as art but I'm not a snob/who cares. I wanna see gothic 97 Trent in full resolution.

muse-lyre candy
10-07-2017, 07:59 AM
(this is the info for the closure dvd set i purchased off amazon...)

Closure (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QCW8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Nine Inch Nails
Sold by: Therockbidder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html/ref=od_aui_sellerprofiles00?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&marketplaceSeller=1&orderID=113-5901099-9790610&seller=A14VC4MTYX55EZ)

$40.00
Condition: Used - Very Good - Used but in very good condition and plays perfectly. Two disc set only released in South America (Brazil). This version is exactly the same as the 2dvd set shown in the Amazon pictures! Factory pressed and NOT a dvdr. NTSC format region 0 so plays on all dvd players worldwide. In stock and shipped directly from Sweden. Shipping is by Airmail from Sweden and usually takes between 5 to 21 days depending upon destination.*Please note: Information for Non-USA customers only: As of February 2013, Amazon has increased the shipping costs of items sent to customers outside of the USA. I cannot change the shipping amount it shows at your checkout, but since I am based in Sweden I can issue refunds to compensate for excessive charges on cds and dvds. This I will try to do within 24 hours of a shipment being sent. As a guide the MAXIMUM cost (excluding boxsets etc) for a dvd or cd is approx 6-7 USD. I will issue refunds for any extra paid on top of my shipping costs. Hope this is of help to international buyers.

Pbgut
10-07-2017, 08:10 AM
(this is the info for the closure dvd set i purchased off amazon...)

Closure (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QCW8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Nine Inch Nails
Sold by: Therockbidder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html/ref=od_aui_sellerprofiles00?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&marketplaceSeller=1&orderID=113-5901099-9790610&seller=A14VC4MTYX55EZ)

$40.00
Condition: Used - Very Good - Used but in very good condition and plays perfectly. Two disc set only released in South America (Brazil). This version is exactly the same as the 2dvd set shown in the Amazon pictures! Factory pressed and NOT a dvdr. NTSC format region 0 so plays on all dvd players worldwide. In stock and shipped directly from Sweden. Shipping is by Airmail from Sweden and usually takes between 5 to 21 days depending upon destination.*Please note: Information for Non-USA customers only: As of February 2013, Amazon has increased the shipping costs of items sent to customers outside of the USA. I cannot change the shipping amount it shows at your checkout, but since I am based in Sweden I can issue refunds to compensate for excessive charges on cds and dvds. This I will try to do within 24 hours of a shipment being sent. As a guide the MAXIMUM cost (excluding boxsets etc) for a dvd or cd is approx 6-7 USD. I will issue refunds for any extra paid on top of my shipping costs. Hope this is of help to international buyers.

Yeah, I can't find any info that it was ever released and the wiki says it was "indefinitely delayed." I'm assuming the leaked files are region 0, but I'm sure Interscope would have region-locked it if it were official. They never paid for any color-correcting/proper remastering so you're just paying presumably for a bootleg of the leak.

BenAkenobi
10-07-2017, 09:49 AM
I believe people analyzed these dvds from Brazil and found out they were indeed made from the seed0 torrent but also recoded to fit on single-layer discs. There probably is some loss of detail in dynamic scenes because of that.
On the bright side, you won't have to sit and wait through unskippable FBI warning screens, you know, the stuff record labels usually toss on DVDs because they can

Pbgut
10-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks to this Closure discussion I watched a little bit of the newly discovered footage for the first time in awhile and found this gem. It's nice to see them having a good time back then:

https://youtu.be/1lHEC9d1lpA

BRoswell
10-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks to this Closure discussion I watched a little bit of the newly discovered footage for the first time in awhile and found this gem. It's nice to see them having a good time back then:

https://youtu.be/1lHEC9d1lpA

The way Trent just turns around and smacks right into it always cracks me up.

thevoid99
10-07-2017, 08:04 PM
So I see this absolute scumbag Glee actor Mark Salling plead guilty to possessing child pornography. Then I put his name on a YouTube search and he’s wearing a goddamn The Slip t-shirt. Google him, find an interview where he says his dream guest star on Glee would be Trent Reznor.

https://youtu.be/I0e3O_GLuEQ

People should’ve never let Glee get as big as it did. Write original songs!

I've always hated that fucking show.

sick among the pure
10-07-2017, 10:55 PM
haha, it's either too early or I am too dumb but my teenage-NIN obsessed mind has recently been reactivated so I'm just assuming this means there are genuine physical prototypes that someone is selling on Amazon, which makes no sense.

Also ... why don't we have HD transfers yet of the classic vids shot on film. I realize music videos are technically crass commercial ads occasionally disguised as art but I'm not a snob/who cares. I wanna see gothic 97 Trent in full resolution.

The Seed0 torrent is as official as we are going to get, too much red tape for a legit version, so the digital version was "leaked".

TheBang
10-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Ok, so I’ve just started to watch the DVD Closure that just arrived from Amazon. Immediately it is different from my ‘95/‘96-sh VHS Closure bootleg I bought when I was stationed in Ohio.
What 95-96 VHS Closure bootlegs are you talking about? I'm not aware of any.

Pbgut
10-08-2017, 07:54 AM
The Seed0 torrent is as official as we are going to get, too much red tape for a legit version, so the digital version was "leaked".

Ah, you were sort of quoting Trent from the old NIN.com Q&A section. I thought he referred to it as a "guilt-free download." A long time ago now, but it was super fun to get that and the Broken movie.

muse-lyre candy
10-08-2017, 08:05 AM
sorry-
i am feeling like an idiot right about now.
the '95 VHS bootleg is The Broken Movie (which is packed away right now...)
i don't know why, but i confused The Closure with Broken and some how they became the same thing in my head (?)..
(prob because some of the same music videos popped up in both of them?)
ugh!

...this insomnia is killing me slowly i tell you

sweeterthan
10-08-2017, 08:20 AM
sorry-
i am feeling like an idiot right about now.
the '95 VHS bootleg is The Broken Movie (which is packed away right now...)
i don't know why, but i confused The Closure with Broken and some how they became the same thing in my head (?)..
(prob because some of the same music videos popped up in both of them?)
ugh!

...this insomnia is killing me slowly i tell you

When I read your post I thought about the broken movie bootleg coz I was gifted a copy on my seventeenth birthday in 1995.

I watched it with my friends who gave it to me. I remember them being like uh wtf did we just watch?

muse-lyre candy
10-08-2017, 08:53 AM
When I read your post I thought about the broken movie bootleg coz I was gifted a copy on my seventeenth birthday in 1995.

I watched it with my friends who gave it to me. I remember them being like uh wtf did we just watch?
what a great gift!

BRoswell
10-09-2017, 02:06 PM
I kind of feel bad watching Atticus in some of these recent interviews. He strikes me as being very introverted and not as eager to speak up as Trent is. That said, he does seem to have thoughtful answers to questions that are posed to him.

blassster
10-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Is this interview being discussed anywhere yet? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Atticus discussing working with NIN in 2002: "...and then we went to New Orleans to try and finish a record that still isn't quite finished." Bleedthrough lives! [emoji14] cc: sheepdean

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsCWF39dkshD5UCqyWtnz2Q/videos?&ab_channel=101WKQX

Got the feeling that he was still referring to 12 Rounds when he saying that.

Toadflax
10-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Got the feeling that he was still referring to 12 Rounds when he saying that.

Ah, yeah, that would make sense, too. In other news, for anyone annoyed when people refer to Nine Inch Nails, as "Nails," we now have one of the band's members doing it, so it can't be all bad.

sheepdean
10-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Is this interview being discussed anywhere yet? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Atticus discussing working with NIN in 2002: "...and then we went to New Orleans to try and finish a record that still isn't quite finished." Bleedthrough lives! :p cc: @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsCWF39dkshD5UCqyWtnz2Q/videos?&ab_channel=101WKQX
12 Rounds 3 has been finished, unfinished, lost and found like a dozen times. Release the fucker dammit

sonic_discord
10-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Ah, yeah, that would make sense, too. In other news, for anyone annoyed when people refer to Nine Inch Nails, as "Nails," we now have one of the band's members doing it, so it can't be all bad.

There's actually a band called Nails too, which could be confusing. I have on occasion referred to NIN as "nails," just to abbreviate it in a conversation. What irks me is when people actually pronounce "NIN" as a three-letter, one-syllable word. That, I think, sounds dumb.

Toadflax
10-09-2017, 04:41 PM
There's actually a band called Nails too, which could be confusing. I have on occasion referred to NIN as "nails," just to abbreviate it in a conversation. What irks me is when people actually pronounce "NIN" as a three-letter, one-syllable word. That, I think, sounds dumb.

Yeah, I know about that band, and I agree it's confusing, though they should've thought of that before settling on that name. It's like calling your band The Stones or The Pistols or something.

When I wrote my previous post, I was thinking about how it doesn't bother me when people say Nails, but it does annoy me when they pronounce "NIN" (unless they're saying nin.com or something), so I'm totally with you there. I also talked to a woman once who was talking about how many "Nine Inch Nail Concerts" she had been to- I cannot abide by that kind of haphazard S displacement. :)

Anyway, back on topic...

Prettybrokenspiral
10-09-2017, 09:32 PM
It's been a long time since I've done this, but I was just reminded of how I used to unwind on Friday and Saturday nights watching Closure. I might do that again. Even if it's been a while, I also still can't stopping thinking of watching Closure as one of the things to do on a Friday and/or Saturday night in.

I love this! I’ve done the exact same thing myself, just as recently as a few months ago around the time Add Violence came out. I love the ending of Closure from the moment the Bowie/Trent version of Hurt begins, to that epic live version of SICNH, and then that beautiful tour montage set to A Warm Place. Such a great 15 minutes, and a wonderful end to such a brilliant tour doc. I also love watching all the music videos on the second disc; that one starts with a haunting montage set to AWP too, and has those disturbing interludes between the official videos that still creep me out.

Its funny because I actually bought the Jim Rose Circus live from Moore Theatre DVD based on the brief footage seen in Closure. It’s pretty fucked up what those dudes would do every night during their shows. Manson was particularly impressed with the Jim Rose act on the Self Destruct tour and wrote about it extensively in his autobiography, if I remember correctly..

You have to get Closure on DVD!

Kyle
10-09-2017, 09:48 PM
I love this! I’ve done the exact same thing myself, just as recently as a few months ago around the time Add Violence came out. I love the ending of Closure from the moment the Bowie/Trent version of Hurt begins, to that epic live version of SICNH, and then that beautiful tour montage set to A Warm Place. Such a great 15 minutes, and a wonderful end to such a brilliant tour doc. I also love watching all the music videos on the second disc; that one starts with a haunting montage set to AWP too, and has those disturbing interludes between the official videos that still creep me out.

Its funny because I actually bought the Jim Rose Circus live from Moore Theatre DVD based on the brief footage seen in Closure. It’s pretty fucked up what those dudes would do every night during their shows. Manson was particularly impressed with the Jim Rose act on the Self Destruct tour and wrote about it extensively in his autobiography, if I remember correctly..

You have to get Closure on DVD!

The first big major concert I went to ever....
started with some band I knew almost nothing about called Marilyn Manson. I think you know how that went. It ended with him completely naked, humping the keyboard before Pogo carried him off stage
then came Jim Rose circus with people swinging cinder blocks off of their nipples and the like.
Then came NIN in the height of Trent's destructive phase. When the curtain dropped for the interlude, I thought the show was over because after that destructive onslaught during HiS, I didn't think he had any instruments left to play on. My thought was "that was awesome but short"

Needless to say that spoiled me.

bobbie solo
10-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I know about that band, and I agree it's confusing, though they should've thought of that before settling on that name. It's like calling your band The Stones or The Pistols or something.

Agreed, but they kick all sorts of ass so it's forgivable. Completely unrelenting band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGGGh03jN4w

imail724
10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

When I wrote my previous post, I was thinking about how it doesn't bother me when people say Nails, but it does annoy me when they pronounce "NIN" (unless they're saying nin.com or something), so I'm totally with you there. I also talked to a woman once who was talking about how many "Nine Inch Nail Concerts" she had been to- I cannot abide by that kind of haphazard S displacement. :)

Anyway, back on topic...What about like "the nin logo" or something?

Kyle
10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Oddly I have no problem with pronouncing the word "NIN" but think "Nails" sounds like corny fratbro speak.

wizfan
10-10-2017, 01:04 PM
I've heard so many live arrangements of Hurt. After watching the Panorama NYC Festival pro-shot, I have to say that, without a doubt, the 2017 version is the greatest one, both sonically and visually. They even brought back the "pre-delayed" (for lack of a better word) chorus from the album version.

piggy
10-10-2017, 06:57 PM
I said "NIN" once many years ago and it immediately felt awkward and wrong, LOL. But I prolly wouldn't fault someone else for saying it, though.

bobbie solo
10-11-2017, 12:47 AM
When Trent starts things back up every few years, my wife makes fun of my excitement and the plans we make by saying that I/we are "NIN-ning" once again.

sweeterthan
10-11-2017, 06:44 AM
I've always said nin. It's never occurred to me that it sounds weird.

imail724
10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Yeah I don't have a problem with saying "nin" casually. It's like saying "gif" or any other acronym.

Haysey_Draws
10-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Yeah I don't have a problem with saying "nin" casually. It's like saying "gif" or any other acronym.

'lol'
Anyone that say's 'lol' needs a fucking slap in the balls! Especially if they say "i lol'd" NO, you LAUGHED, not lol'd, LAUGHED!

imail724
10-11-2017, 08:49 AM
'lol'
Anyone that say's 'lol' needs a fucking slap in the balls! Especially if they say "i lol'd" NO, you LAUGHED, not lol'd, LAUGHED!Luhmayo

Ribbitman
10-12-2017, 04:49 AM
I hear "do it" on the riff after kill me in Eraser every time he says it… anyone else?

Ribbitman
10-12-2017, 04:58 AM
The Downward Spiral is 3 minutes and 57 seconds long. .357 magnum?

Swykk
10-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I think WorzelG did since he posted this news about four posts before you did.

eversonpoe
10-12-2017, 10:25 AM
An early screener version of Best F(r)iends (the new flick starring Tommy Wiseau) uses two tracks from Gone Girl. "Almost Home" and "Still, Gone".

i think they used them in the trailer, too, from what i remember

Halo Infinity
10-12-2017, 07:22 PM
@Prettybrokenspiral (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=911) - Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to get Closure on DVD, since I've watched it so much on VHS anyway, and just for the sake of convenience as I no longer have any actual functioning VCRs anymore. I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one. There's something so satisfying about chilling to Sanctified, Piggy and The Only Time on Closure. I also love the scenes that built up to Piggy, with The Perfect Drug (Spacetime Continuum) all.

And thanks to Closure, a part of me is tempted to scream, "Whoever threw that, fuck you, all right?" in the middle of Something I Can Never Have, and "What did you throw up here? What did you throw? Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man." in the middle of The Only Time if it's ever performed again.

And even so, I still can't stop filling in those quotes by Trent mentally every time I listen to Something I Can Never Have and The Only Time.

I said "NIN" once many years ago and it immediately felt awkward and wrong, LOL. But I prolly wouldn't fault someone else for saying it, though.

I've always said nin. It's never occurred to me that it sounds weird.

I've also said NIN, as I've been around other fans that have said NIN, but in most cases, I just say Nine Inch Nails. I just like the way it sounds in full, and have gotten used to saying it. And it's not like I've gotten a chance to talk about NIN that much anyway, since I don't know that many fans in real life.

I'm also sure it's because I've also been asked, "What's a NIN?" and "What's NIN?" whenever I wore NIN shirts before, so I just make it a habit to say Nine Inch Nails.

It's also kind of like how I'm also used to saying Marilyn Manson instead of just MM, Mr. Manson or Manson.

Conan The Barbarian
10-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Doesn’t anyone have any more info on reznors cover of the Halloween theme?

thevoid99
10-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Doesn’t anyone have any more info on reznors cover of the Halloween theme?

I read on the AV Club that it's coming out tomorrow.

streetman
10-12-2017, 10:51 PM
I hate that the description of NIN on Apple Music says "Nine Inch Nails WERE the most popular industrial group..."

WERE?! Wtf?! Did they get overtaken or something?

captainbeyond
10-12-2017, 11:00 PM
I read on the AV Club that it's coming out tomorrow.

It appears it was just released. Too bad I can't pay for it and download it on my Chromebook.

Sandy Phimester
10-12-2017, 11:20 PM
OH MY. Just saw this on Facebook, what a wonderful surprise. Halloween!

Shadaloo
10-12-2017, 11:38 PM
You've just gotta make me re-download itunes to buy like one thing once every year don't you Trent

BRoswell
10-12-2017, 11:51 PM
You've just gotta make me re-download itunes to buy like one thing once every year don't you Trent

You can also buy it from Bandcamp:
https://johncarpentermusic.bandcamp.com/track/john-carpenters-halloween

Shadaloo
10-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Ehh, too late. Annual purchase and rigmarole all done with. But it reminded me that I forgot to pick up Juno. :)

BRoswell
10-13-2017, 12:05 AM
I knew it was going to be released on Bandcamp since Carpenter's Lost Themes albums were released on there through Sacred Bones. No need for iTunes here!

Ribbitman
10-13-2017, 07:35 AM
The ending to Halloween is incredible. Anyone here the porn sample from Big Man With A Gun in it?

Ribbitman
10-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Posted this in another thread but the ending to Halloween is incredible. Anyone here the porn sample from Big Man With A Gun in it?

10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
any lossless versions of the Halloween song or just mp3?

witte
10-14-2017, 01:56 AM
Not a real spotting, but the new St Vincent has a lot of recognizable recent NIN sounds...
By the way, her new album is awesome.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

piggy
10-14-2017, 05:24 AM
So, this was brought to mind by the discussion over in the controversial opinions thread about versions of songs on Still vs original versions. I wish that SICNH on Still had somehow recreated the weird percussion sounds from the chorus of the original version, like with some janky DIY instruments.

Ryan Tollefson
10-14-2017, 05:30 AM
So I finally got around to watching Stranger Thinks on Netflix, and I couldn’t help but think of The Background Word pretty the much the whole time, it’s odd how similar fitting it is, or maybe I’m just really really high

sheepdean
10-14-2017, 06:42 PM
#NINSpotting #ShitPost

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaE6y3gAW5k/?taken-by=notorioustimp
Where the fuck can I buy Monin that has the label printed in English

NotoriousTIMP
10-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Where the fuck can I buy Monin that has the label printed in English

I was at a small bakery in Denver when I took that video so I'm not really sure.

blassster
10-15-2017, 06:41 PM
A bit like the thing in the "Down In It" cover art: https://twitter.com/archillect/status/919699450729295872

Mainly posting to say that lately I've been imagining a mashup using parts of PIG's "Flesh Fest" with "Me, I'm Not" as the main/base instrumental. The "squeeze into the guilt that holds me" part could sound cool against the instruments from MIN's chorus. I'm just not sure which of the two would have their tempos altered.

Flesh Fest (https://youtu.be/eCvp-uTOUjU)

Frozen Beach
10-17-2017, 12:35 PM
I wonder what song Lynch rejected that Trent original submitted for Twin Peaks?

fillow
10-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Everything (Autolux remix)

ton
10-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Does Trent listen to Frank Ocean? For some reason, I think he has before lol.

katara
10-18-2017, 08:37 AM
I was thinking about this the other day, actually. Apparently it wasn't edgy enough, so perhaps it could have been Less Than.

eversonpoe
10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
I was thinking about this the other day, actually. Apparently it wasn't edgy enough, so perhaps it could have been Less Than.

i HIGHLY doubt that trent would have delivered "less than" for use on twin peaks. i'm guessing it was either "burning bright" or something we haven't heard (and might never hear).

HWB
10-18-2017, 11:00 AM
8:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXh5TxwKYA

Subtle one, I like it.

Kulerage
10-18-2017, 05:13 PM
i HIGHLY doubt that trent would have delivered "less than" for use on twin peaks. i'm guessing it was either "burning bright" or something we haven't heard (and might never hear).
Makes me remember The Warning, Message to No One and Life You Didn't Lead. At least tell us what happened to them, Trent!

Bachy
10-19-2017, 03:38 AM
I’m sifting through the ashes

buckaroo
10-19-2017, 08:27 AM

I really wish Trent would answer questions like these through this board. If it was moderated well it could be a great way for him to interact directly with the fan-base.

buzburbank
10-20-2017, 03:47 PM
I really wish Trent would answer questions like these through this board. If it was moderated well it could be a great way for him to interact directly with the fan-base.

That was one of the greatest things about the old nin.com forums. You never knew exactly what all he read, or whether some people just had a knack for trolling him to elicit a response, but every once in a while, boom! I remember his posts being so honest, and genuine. More candid and intimate than an 'ask-me-anything,' and far more 'real' than generic tweets by publicists you get with most celebs (not TR...in fact, I'm kind of glad his Twitter is so quiet and not filled with junk.)

blassster
10-20-2017, 04:41 PM
That was one of the greatest things about the old nin.com forums. You never knew exactly what all he read, or whether some people just had a knack for trolling him to elicit a response, but every once in a while, boom! I remember his posts being so honest, and genuine. More candid and intimate than an 'ask-me-anything,' and far more 'real' than generic tweets by publicists you get with most celebs (not TR...in fact, I'm kind of glad his Twitter is so quiet and not filled with junk.)

Happens here too from time to time:

Some hard-to-please motherfuckers around here.

Another one, but serious response to discussions:
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4299-The-Fragile-Deviations-1-Limited-Edition-4xLP-(Spring-2017)?p=331874#post331874

thelastdisciple
10-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Rob doesn't seem to be too happy about one of TR's answers... (https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/921448518564306944)
What the heck, did Trent just have a senior moment or..? man that is weird. :/

katara
10-21-2017, 05:28 AM
New Interview with Trent and Atticus. (https://www.juxtapoz.com/news/magazine/features/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-friday-is-the-new-tuesday-except-it-s-not/)

Rob doesn't seem to be too happy about one of TR's answers... (https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/921448518564306944)
Note that Kraw liked Rob's tweet. I'm sure everything's friendly.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-21-2017, 08:01 PM
lol comparing Kraw to Rob Sheridan is like comparing an ice cream truck to a space shuttle. Rob was just as much a member of NIN as any of the touring members or even, dare I say it, Atticus himself. His visuals, design and general aesthetic was a crucial component to the NIN experience from Still onwards.

Nothing Kraw has done since becoming NIN’s art director has impressed me. Least of all his meticulously-prepared reissues that were falling apart by the time the buyer got their hands on them. Maybe this belongs in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but Kraw isn’t a pimple on the ass of Rob Sheridan’s creativity..

BrokenSpiral
10-21-2017, 08:38 PM
There's something so incredibly awkward to me about Ross performing with NIN.

high def ultra-realism
10-21-2017, 08:52 PM
lol comparing Kraw to Rob Sheridan is like comparing an ice cream truck to a space shuttle. Rob was just as much a member of NIN as any of the touring members or even, dare I say it, Atticus himself. His visuals, design and general aesthetic was a crucial component to the NIN experience from Still onwards.

Nothing Kraw has done since becoming NIN’s art director has impressed me. Least of all his meticulously-prepared reissues that were falling apart by the time the buyer got their hands on them. Maybe this belongs in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but Kraw isn’t a pimple on the ass of Rob Sheridan’s creativity..

Totally agree. I don't know why Trent and Rob hadn't talked openly about this. And regarding what trent said in that recent interview about Stanley Donwood, man, what could go so wrong to bypass all of Rob's legacy to the band?

high def ultra-realism
10-21-2017, 08:57 PM
There's something so incredibly awkward to me about Ross performing with NIN.

He's the complete opposite to Aaron North

niggo
10-22-2017, 05:15 AM

Dude, no need to shit on Kraw this hard. I think we can all agree that Rob's been a huge part of NIN's identity throughout the years and that he was a perfect match, but I for one welcome new creative direction once in a while. Even if some things didn't turn out as expected, I'm pretty sure Kraw is giving his best and is very much a creative dude in his own right. Personally, I really do like everything about NIN's vibe and style in this era, from photos to social media presence, to album art, music videos etc. which he probably has a huge part in.

Pyract
10-22-2017, 12:58 PM
I was following kraw on Instagram for like 2 years before he was announced as the new art director and was thrilled at the implications of NIN and his weird subversive style. But I've not seen that style materialize in NIN yet.

sheepdean
10-22-2017, 02:42 PM
I was following kraw on Instagram for like 2 years before he was announced as the new art director and was thrilled at the implications of NIN and his weird subversive style. But I've not seen that style materialize in NIN yet.
We still haven't seen the arc of the three EPs though

Pyract
10-22-2017, 02:48 PM
We still haven't seen the arc of the three EPs though

True... still a different style from his Instagram stuff though. I guess we'll see.

thelastdisciple
10-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Honestly i wish that Bottom of the Pyramid dude was NIN's art director now, that guys stuff rules!

Sister Midnight
10-22-2017, 11:29 PM
The aging NIN fan, in 95 camped out all night to buy tickets from box office, in 2017 the moment the first notes of Hurt are played I'm running for the door to beat the crowd and the traffic out of there.

BRoswell
10-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Some of you seem to forget that Trent & Atticus are the ones that have the final say on artwork, so if you find the current artwork uninspired, you know who else is to blame. :p

butter_hole
10-23-2017, 05:17 AM
Trent said he wanted someone who had grown up with them like Stanley Donwood did with Radiohead. Donwood is the same age as Radiohead and went to art school with Yorke.

Sheridan is what, 15 years younger than Trent? Their relationship is completely different.

Also, TR may have even mentioned Rob and they trimmed the answer for the interview. There's nothing inherently disrespectful in his answer at all.

wizfan
10-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Out of Trent's bag of songwriting tricks, my favorite has to be when a track begins with a simple repeated synth melody, and then the drums begin to a different beat than the one you would expect them to. Examples: Heresy (compare its intro with the one from the demo version), Underneath it All, Copy of A.

GibbonBlack
10-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Do you think one day Atticus might kick that Trent Reznor fellow out?

Creative differences or something ;)

"I just didn't like the direction he wanted to take the band in"

piggy
10-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Out of Trent's bag of songwriting tricks, my favorite has to be when a track begins with a simple repeated synth melody, and then the drums begin to a different beat than the one you would expect them to. Examples: Heresy (compare its intro with the one from the demo version), Underneath it All, Copy of A.
YASSSS. I've had that thought many times and I'm glad someone came along and articulated it. This phenomenon used to grind my gears, but now I find it impeccably clever. The opening acoustic guitar of "Somewhat Damaged" is another really good example of this.

niggo
10-24-2017, 03:05 AM

I love that, too! They also kind of did that with the Farewell Mix of I Can't Give Everything Away. The background synth melody has a different timing than the rest (although there are obviously no drums in it).

fillow
10-24-2017, 05:36 AM
Hell yes, I like this trick, with other bands too. Just now I got caught off guard by drums in If I Had a Tail by QOTSA.

eversonpoe
10-24-2017, 07:48 AM
I love that, too! They also kind of did that with the Farewell Mix of I Can't Give Everything Away. The background synth melody has a different timing than the rest (although there are obviously no drums in it).

yeah, the arpeggiated synth in that is in 13 (i think?) and just repeats in a steady loop regardless of the fact that the rest of the song is in 4.

wizfan
10-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Do you think one day Atticus might kick that Trent Reznor fellow out?

Creative differences or something ;)

"I just didn't like the direction he wanted to take the band in"
sheepdean has beaten you to it:

Atticus needs to drop Trent from the next NIN record tbh, get some new blood in

GibbonBlack
10-24-2017, 08:20 AM
@sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) has beaten you to it:

*shakes fist*

fillow
10-24-2017, 08:24 AM
*shakes fist*

beaten again
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg

theimage13
10-24-2017, 06:23 PM
beaten again
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wyxKPIr4R4A/V9C_FEA4UXI/AAAAAAAC2Ug/lpSV2HeC6gYSpxYCHfGKIKngsep7zNFPACLcB/s1600/kinfkPr%255B1%255D.png

HWB
10-25-2017, 03:05 AM
Fuck's sake, Letting You is so great

implanted_microchip
10-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Burning Bright and The Background World have ruined my sense of a top 10 list with this band. They're both easily in it. The fact that a band that's had multiple fan favorite established classic albums can still release material that rivals the best of their best is amazing and extremely rare for any band from NIN's generation/peers. There's a sense of freshness, adventurousness, daring and experimentation on both songs and their respective EPs and I can't wait to hear whatever the third has in store.

sweeterthan
10-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Burning Bright and The Background World have ruined my sense of a top 10 list with this band. They're both easily in it. The fact that a band that's had multiple fan favorite established classic albums can still release material that rivals the best of their best is amazing and extremely rare for any band from NIN's generation/peers. There's a sense of freshness, adventurousness, daring and experimentation on both songs and their respective EPs and I can't wait to hear whatever the third has in store.

I feel like when I tell people how amazing the music is this year, they don’t believe me. She’s Gone Away is the most perfect nin song ever. It epitomizes nin’s sound for me but it’s still so fresh. I listen to that and both songs you mentioned pretty much every day right now. Both eps are all I want to hear.

I liked/love all of hesitation marks but it’s so clean and safe compared to these eps. The EPs are so arty and noisy and yummy.

Pbgut
10-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Hesitation Marks does have some great songs that are relatively clean for NIN, but there is something about the quality of the best songs on these two EPs that is very surprising to me. "The Background World" is incredible.

HWB
10-26-2017, 05:20 PM
I don't think Hesitation Marks is "safe". I think that "Everything" is pretty out there, it is pretty weird, and for NIN a risk take to make such a song, the song isn't even happy when you see that angry chorus. The album is kinda experimental, you cannot really name anything that sounds like Hesitation Marks from the NIN cataloque.

It's definetelly not "safe" especially for NIN, accessible, probably to most likely, but I don't see how the release was safe.

But I'll admit that in these EPs Trent is going out of his way much more to make really unfriendly records, some of the most experimental stuff..since Year Zero or Tetsuo.

ton
10-26-2017, 06:34 PM
I do think that the EPs are the best music from nin since The Fragile.

WorzelG
10-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Alternative Nation are the most irritating website for taking quotes out of context to make clickbait headlines. The latest is that 'Trent reznor reveals why he doesn't give a shit that rock is dead' which is the opposite way round to what he said, rock is dead but I don't give a shit

Harry Seaward
10-28-2017, 11:23 AM
If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.

ton
10-29-2017, 10:51 AM
What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.

wight rabbit
10-29-2017, 11:52 AM
For a few years now, Trent and Clive Owen have looked rather similar to me. Anyone else see that?

Jon
10-29-2017, 02:11 PM
What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.

There's 11 available here (https://open.spotify.com/user/maximus93_nin) (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
Definitive NIN – Deep Cuts
Definitive NIN – Heavy
Definitive NIN – Quiet Tracks
Definitive NIN – The Singles
NIN Set Change '07
NIN Set Change '08
NIN Set Change Farewell
NIN Set Change I Forget When
NIN/JA Set Change '09
(Real Men Wear) Parachute Pants

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks (https://open.spotify.com/user/treznor/playlist/17Xu4oykpI7CClY0BO4ljj) which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.

ton
10-29-2017, 03:15 PM
There's 11 available here (https://open.spotify.com/user/maximus93_nin) (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
Definitive NIN – Heavy
NIN Set Change '07
NIN Set Change '08
NIN Set Change Farewell
NIN/JA Set Change '09

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks (https://open.spotify.com/user/treznor/playlist/17Xu4oykpI7CClY0BO4ljj) which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.

thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.

Jon
10-29-2017, 04:42 PM
thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.

Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.

ton
10-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.

Thank you, this finally worked using this method!

Bachy
10-29-2017, 11:43 PM
The more I listen to “The Lovers,” the more I fucking love it. The live performance leaves a lot to be desired though. I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.

BRoswell
10-30-2017, 12:17 AM
I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.

I actually love that aspect of the live performance, mainly because it comes across as Trent playing a character in a story in that moment instead of him just performing the song. It's almost as if the words are too much for him to say himself, so he has to disconnect from it and play it back through the tape recorder so people can understand him and where he's coming from. I don't think it's laziness on his part. I think it's just a more interesting way to do it than just playing the lyrics back through the PA while Trent stands around and waits to come back in. He can be present in the moment at least.

fishtifer
10-30-2017, 07:54 AM

Current Driving Music
Definitive NIN – Heavy
NIN Set Change '07
NIN Set Change '08
NIN Set Change Farewell
NIN/JA Set Change '09

Awesome! I'll have lots of new tunes to listen to at work this week! I'll just have to put up with those awful ads a little longer I guess - goddamn Subway and CarToGo!

Bachy
10-30-2017, 06:37 PM
I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.

acrid avid jam shred
10-31-2017, 03:29 AM
I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.

Oh man, that would be awesome! Wasn't there a song with Josh Homme that didn't make it on the record or something? I'd love to hear that. I bet there's a stack of cool odds and ends on Trent's hard drive from the YZ era.

magnolia
10-31-2017, 08:43 AM
I feel like this belongs here more than NIN Spotting:
Husband and I are in New Orleans for the week, and last night we went to The Mortuary, a haunted house thing up on Canal that’s actually an old mortuary. When we got chased out of the last door back out into the crowd out front by dude holding a chainsaw, “The Hand That Feeds” was the first thing to hit my ears. They were playing music over the speakers in front of the house for the people waiting in line. Made me laugh. [emoji3]

ultimatebdp
10-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I get the feeling that there is way more unreleased material from the WT sessions than the YZ sessions for a Deviations album…and not just because of the song titles that were listed but never released. It was his first album sober and he had a lot of time to work things out and experiment in a full studio. I'd love to hear that stuff!!

Halo Infinity
11-08-2017, 03:44 PM
I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish. :)

Kulerage
11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish. :)
Coincidentally, both are closing tracks.

I find that several strong songs are closing tracks.

joplinpicasso
11-08-2017, 07:30 PM
If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.

Let's say this is exactly my experience, too, except one song prior, Beside You In Time, when the beat breaks the shoegaze interlude. I knew I was won over.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-09-2017, 04:59 PM
With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.

acrid avid jam shred
11-09-2017, 06:14 PM
With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.

That bit in the song where it switches up never fails to give me goosebumps.

HWB
11-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.

cashpiles (closed)
11-10-2017, 03:48 PM
As someone has estimated, I feel that a March-release for EP 3 is very reasonable. My estimation is February, and I'm willing to gamble with people on this. I will wager $100 Canadian.

reasonable predictions:

+5 more excellent songs
+dynamic EP (to illustrate, ADD VIOLENCE is more dynamic than Not The Actual Events).... I'll be happy if we get 5 industrialized acoustic songs though
+background vocals and vocal flourishes from Atticus

My vision for EP 3 is that it starts with a propulsive banger, second song is a This Isn't The Place blues/r n b song, 3rd song is a super-focused aggressive rocker that goes through 3 evolutions, 4th song is a tribal from out of nowhere bonkers song we haven't heard from NIN before, 5th song is an acoustic number with layers of synths and an awesome synth bass line

BRoswell
11-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Has anyone tried making a playlist that features Year Zero, Welcome Oblivion, and Add Violence mixed together? Since they are thematically related, I'd be curious to see what that sounded like.

Bachy
11-11-2017, 10:41 PM
The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.

cheddamash
11-11-2017, 11:54 PM
The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.

Seriously. I've idolized Twiggy for nearly 2 decades, Spacey was my favorite actor, and who doesn't love Louis CK? George Takei is even facing allegations. It'd be sweet if my idols could all stop being fucking creepers.

streetman
11-11-2017, 11:59 PM

Trent isn't part of that group. The wildest thing he's done is been in a threesome with Manson.

jmtd
11-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Trent isn't part of that group. The wildest thing he's done is been in a threesome with Manson.

If that's the stuff that Manson had in his autobio, well, there's was definitely a consent issue from what I read...

elevenism
11-13-2017, 03:49 PM
So I would have put this in NIN spotting but it's not new; it's just news to me.
My wife has been watching old episodes of CSI and I've noticed a few nin songs in the soundtrack.
The thing that tripped me out the most was they played part of the Gave Up remix from Fixed. That's a pretty deep cut. They also played part of Halo Spaceboy in the same episode.
whoever picked the songs for this show has pretty good taste.

botley
11-13-2017, 04:24 PM
If that's the stuff that Manson had in his autobio, well, there's was definitely a consent issue from what I read...
Manson exaggerated a lot of things in that book. From a Swedish magazine interview (http://theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=823): "Manson distorted reality and painted a very unfair picture of me," Trent claims. "I didn't say anything for years, but it is important that I give my version [... I] was in the middle of an emotional tumult. I created a circus around me, but I'm not really that guy."

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.

"Capital G" wasn't a song I was too interested in after the album dropped, but now it always turns into a fucking banger for me. SO GOOD. I'd love to hear more of those songs live someday. Aaand considering how much stronger some of those themes seem to ring now, I feel like it's a definite possibility for upcoming tours.

Jordan
11-13-2017, 11:16 PM
The Downward Spiral: Deviations II