PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Disassociative
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I wonder if Trent will ever touch You Know What You Are live. It's not been touched since the With Teeth line up as far as I know and I'm curious how Robin/whoever is in the NIN 2017 band would do it. As it stands right now I can't imagine anyone but Aaron doing the guitar stuff. And I also like Robins backing vocals a lot and would like to hear him do it haha

botley
02-22-2017, 10:57 AM
I wonder if Trent will ever touch You Know What You Are live. It's not been touched since the With Teeth line up as far as I know and I'm curious how Robin/whoever is in the NIN 2017 band would do it. As it stands right now I can't imagine anyone but Aaron doing the guitar stuff. And I also like Robins backing vocals a lot and would like to hear him do it haha
That's right. It will be over 10 years since they last played it (during the Japan & Australia shows in 2007) once the band performs again in a few months. High time to dust it off! A great track IMO, and it certainly deserves to be revisited live. It was cool to hear Robin's approach to some of the less-played With Teeth tracks in 2008/2009 like "Love Is Not Enough", "The Collector" and ESPECIALLY "Getting Smaller" (which they transposed down a whole tone in key):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlidDfnVq88

HWB
02-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Trent took a bold new direction for that song and hired his future self for the recording. What a mad man

That's right. It will be over 10 years since they last played it (during the Japan & Australia shows in 2007) once the band performs again in a few months. High time to dust it off! A great track IMO, and it certainly deserves to be revisited live. It was cool to hear Robin's approach to some of the less-played With Teeth tracks in 2008/2009 like "Love Is Not Enough", "The Collector" and ESPECIALLY "Getting Smaller" (which they transposed down a whole tone in key):

I was just thinking about this, I would love to see "You "Know What You Are?" again live, it's the most agressive track on With_Teeth, seeing how agressive NTAE is, we might.

Halo Infinity
02-22-2017, 05:06 PM
I doubt that I brought up NIN's vocals that much around here. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I like how Trent's singing voice is smooth, abrasive, mellow and aggressive in all the right places as they always help me relate to the songs, while just feeling the overall vibes of his vocal range, along with whatever effects he chooses to use, from echoes to static or even a combination of the two. I also like his speaking voice. At times, his overall demeanor and speech patters can be actually relaxing when listening to him articulate himself in interviews. I'm obviously not that only one, but I have certainly noticed and liked the way he says the word and. (That also sounds like it could very well be an idea for a NIN photoshop or something.)

Tommy_Macbeth
02-22-2017, 05:38 PM
I doubt that I brought up NIN's vocals that much around here. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I like how Trent's singing voice is smooth, abrasive, mellow and aggressive in all the right places as they always help me relate to the songs, while just feeling the overall vibes of his vocal range, along with whatever effects he chooses to use, from echoes to static or even a combination of the two. I also like his speaking voice. At times, his overall demeanor and speech patters can be actually relaxing when listening to him articulate himself in interviews. I'm obviously not that only one, but I have certainly noticed and liked the way he says the word and. (That also sounds like it could very well be an idea for a NIN photoshop or something.)

Totally agree, soft/screaming/loud/quiet/monotone/speaking his vocals are very pleasing to the ear. Good voice for radio or a podcast.

Papagolash
02-22-2017, 09:20 PM

Jebus, this person must have been standing right next to me filming this.

ninlive
02-22-2017, 09:43 PM
I really want to hear Love is Not Enough again live. It's such a great track! (along with Getting Smaller)

sick among the pure
02-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Speaking of revisiting WT era tracks with Robin, I believe The Line Begins To Blur was played a handful of times with Robin (maybe around Wave Goodbye?), does anyone have a good quality video of that? I love that song live, and it's one of the parts of my first live show that still sticks in my mind very vividly (I remember going back and forth from watching the line crawl across the screen and trigger the red glitch screens, and watching Trent).

botley
02-22-2017, 10:32 PM
They first played it with Robin in 2008, I believe. It was one of the ones where Ilan sang backup from behind the drumkit in 2009, and was also played once each in 2013 and 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPFt6-qBw4

Disassociative
02-23-2017, 12:55 AM
Speaking of revisiting WT era tracks with Robin, I believe The Line Begins To Blur was played a handful of times with Robin (maybe around Wave Goodbye?), does anyone have a good quality video of that? I love that song live, and it's one of the parts of my first live show that still sticks in my mind very vividly (I remember going back and forth from watching the line crawl across the screen and trigger the red glitch screens, and watching Trent).

I saw them perform it live in Perth in 2014. Was fucking incredible.

implanted_microchip
02-23-2017, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't complain at all if The Great Destroyer became a permanent staple in setlists.

acrid avid jam shred
02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Songs from Year Zero are so damn cool live. Seeing Me, I'm Not and Survivalism back in 2014 was really awesome. Me, I'm Not in particular kicks ass, all those crazy synth effects and vocal delays are even better on the stage! I would absolutely love to see more YZ stuff like The Warning or Vessel too.

mauro995
02-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Songs from Year Zero are so damn cool live. Seeing Me, I'm Not and Survivalism back in 2014 was really awesome. Me, I'm Not in particular kicks ass, all those crazy synth effects and vocal delays are even better on the stage! I would absolutely love to see more YZ stuff like The Warning or Vessel too.
When I saw them live in 2014 they opened with Me, I'm Not and they also played Survivalism, The Warning and The Great Destroyer, all those tracks sounded awesome live, specially Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer.

ChipRock
02-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Wish I'd seen Survivalism in 2014 - always a favourite from Year Zero. I only got Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer. The latter is driving me mad... there are a couple of soundboard recordings of course from various festivals and what not, but nothing sounds as gut rumblingly heavy as it did from the crowd at London. Maybe it just doesn't transfer to tape that well? If only there was a properly mixed official recording from that tour...

implanted_microchip
02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
ChipRock that rumbling heaviness of Great Destroyer was definitely something that got lost in recordings -- that was the heaviest moment of the entire Assault setlist and that's including songs like Somewhat Damaged and Eraser with it. It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"

I remember lots of people complaining heavily that The Warning and Me, I'm Not were getting played so much in 2014, and meanwhile by the time I saw them they'd gotten the visuals for Disappointed figured out on the festival panels and the songs were gone from rotation. I've now seen Disappointed three times but neither of those even once.

Survivalism on Tension was very, very cool though. I remember the lights for it being especially amazing out of a lot of the faster songs they did, and there was a bite to it that is absolutely nowhere to be found on the studio track.

Year Zero was one of the albums that really helped me become a major fan, and I'd love for more of it to be done live again. Trent seemed on fire whenever they did anything from it on the 13/14 touring cycle, and I can only imagine how intense that material would be now that it's become reality.

EndlessLoveless
02-23-2017, 12:17 PM
I don't think it was ever a staple but I'd love a little meet your master live. I could never get into the warning. I think it's that jangly bass line. The other YZ tracks I wasn't into at first have all become favorites. Although I prefer the god given remix over the original.

bobbie solo
02-24-2017, 03:36 AM
God Given has such a great groove and it really works as s unique standout live. Gets everyone dancing a bit I've found.

Still waiting for My Violent Heart to debut live (or has it been played and I'm forgetful?). I know they've never played it at any show I've been to. That sample/synth when the beat finally kicks in...that's my shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRk5kXROS4

acrid avid jam shred
02-24-2017, 04:11 AM
I agree! My Violent Heart is so fucking eerie and awesome, that chorus is unbelievably massive. I remember when I opened up the song's multitrack file on GarageBand, and being blown away with the assortment of sounds and layers as I attempted to make my own remix.

Disassociative
02-24-2017, 05:01 AM
I don't think it was ever a staple but I'd love a little meet your master live. I could never get into the warning. I think it's that jangly bass line. The other YZ tracks I wasn't into at first have all become favorites. Although I prefer the god given remix over the original.

What do you think about the remix of The Warning on Year Zero Remixed? I like it much more than the original.

nooneimportant
02-24-2017, 06:36 AM
@ChipRock (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4807) that rumbling heaviness of Great Destroyer was definitely something that got lost in recordings -- that was the heaviest moment of the entire Assault setlist and that's including songs like Somewhat Damaged and Eraser with it. It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"

This gif sums up exactly how I felt before, during, and after that song.

http://i.imgur.com/oVz3GUf.gif

SM Rollinger
02-24-2017, 08:33 AM
I loved Year Zero, it was what really got me back into NIN after the WT cycle, which didn't really do it for me.

So happy I got to see Vessel played in '08, THAT is the heaviest track on YZ (and tied with Happiness in Slavery & Great Destroyer for best glitchy/industrial breakdown). Hopefully TR brings it out of the vault someday! I remember after YZ came out, burn cruising with my friend and the bass in Vessel would just destroy. Good times :)

IMO Meet Your Master and God Given are underrated, its cool to see them get some love.

Year Zero as a whole is underrated, its tied with The Fragile for my 2nd favorite NIN album (behind TDS, of course)

BenAkenobi
02-24-2017, 08:35 AM
[MENTION=4807]... It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"

Wow, that's some attitude. Did 'people there for Soundgarden' spill your drink or anything?

BRoswell
02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
@ChipRock (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4807) that rumbling heaviness of Great Destroyer was definitely something that got lost in recordings -- that was the heaviest moment of the entire Assault setlist and that's including songs like Somewhat Damaged and Eraser with it. It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"

I never got to see it live, but watching this video, I can get a sense of what you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEWntS-dEk

implanted_microchip
02-24-2017, 02:58 PM
SM Rollinger Vessel actually was played during the Japanese shows in 2014 and, I do believe, at points on the Australia/New Zealand tour. I agree though that it'd be amazing if it became a setlist regular again.
BenAkenobi people that went just to see a classic 90's grungy rock band who then stuck around for a group that they had little familiarity with beyond the big hits were not remotely expecting to see an electronic go fuck yourself noise explosion. Don't know why you're choosing to read it as something inherently negative. It's no different than how unprepared many of those people were for Dillinger Escape Plan, to the extent that a lot of them booed them at one of the shows I went to, only for Greg to talk shit to them and laugh about how Soundgarden were fans of theirs.

EndlessLoveless
02-24-2017, 03:15 PM
What do you think about the remix of The Warning on Year Zero Remixed? I like it much more than the original.

I'll have to give it a re-listen and report back. Been awhile. But off the top of my head neither versions, album, live or remix have done anything for me. I just think it's kind of boring for nin. Doesn't really go anywhere, not that all songs should. But I really wanted to like it as the subject matter deals with the coolest part of YZ imo, the presence.

HWB
02-24-2017, 03:27 PM
I can't get over Right Where It Belong's ending part, the piano which ends the song and entire album, it is so hard hitting and so effective, it gets me every time, it's like the piano is basically representing relief, of closing a chapter that was painful and starting another one, it feels like a true happy ending, feeling like a release of pain.

Papagolash
02-24-2017, 03:31 PM
I can't get over Right Where It Belong's ending part, the piano which ends the song and entire album, it is so hard hitting and so effective, it gets me every time, it's like the piano is basically representing relief, of closing a chapter that was painful and starting another one, it feels like a true happy ending, feeling like a release of pain.

Those notes are the loneliest and most depressing notes ever to me.

HWB
02-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Those notes are the loneliest and most depressing notes ever to me. I sometimes view that song this way too, those notes are just very effective and they hit hard, I either see them as a release, or lonely. Either way, just amazing album closer.

Ryan
02-24-2017, 03:45 PM

I need to re-upload both of my 2009 recordings of those from Sydney. Give me an hour or so and I'll get them back up for your viewing pleasure.

blassster
02-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Random talk about WT on here this week had me revisiting it for the first time in years. I loved it at release time, but in recent years never thought about it much. When I did think of it though, I always had a sour taste in my mouth coming from its relative simplicity/poppyness (like THTF) and some of the vocals or lyrics (like The Collector or Getting Smaller).

Another random thing is that I can't help but think about silvery brushed aluminum when the idea of the album comes up (partly because of a building I used to walk by 12 years ago, because of Trent's use of Apple computers, and because of the Only video), and I'm tired of brushed aluminum.

But listening to it this week, it's fucking great and I don't know how I twisted my thinking of it so much. Some of my problems with it are still there, but they're not terribly bad and I'm looking forward to the DE more than ever. I'll always avoid live versions of THTF though, kinda like HLAH live it's just not a thing I'm excited for.

BRoswell
02-24-2017, 04:12 PM

To me, those last few notes are kind of ambiguous. I mentioned in another thread that I feel Ripe (With Decay) ends The Fragile in a similar way. There's an uncertainty about the future, although in the case of With Teeth, it might be a more optimistic uncertainty. Right Where It Belongs, to me, is about recognizing the reality of a situation, whatever it may be. It's kind of like waking up from a dark dream (where the details aren't as clear) to the harsh light, and reality, of day. You're kind of looking back as you're going forward as you assess the relevancy of the dream versus the reality you now face. Obviously With Teeth was Trent dealing with his sobriety and figuring out how to feel about it as well as his life before it, so there is some uncertainty to the whole thing, but those last few notes seem to indicate that, while he may not have all the answers he seeks just yet, he's working on it.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
the alternate V of Right Where It Belongs with TR on the piano might be the saddest song TR ever wrote. Almost makes 'Hurt' seem like fucking 'Down In It'

EndlessLoveless
02-24-2017, 07:05 PM
So with teeth, here we go.....such anticipation. The lead up was amazing. The clips of THTF and the line were amazing. I remember hearing that chorus in the clip of TLBTB and knew it was an instant favorite. Still is. The little blips on nin.com. The teaser with BYIT and the glitch art turning into nin logo. Good times. Then we got EDIETS in full and it sounded fragile-esque. I was hyped. I remember sitting in my driveway waiting for THTF as they teased that they were playing it on Q101 (local alternative station).

I remember hearing that fucking Weezer song, or maybe it was beck. It was new at the time as well and they led in with, OK here's the new track from....beck/Weezer and I died a little expecting THTF. Seemed like I waited for days but was probably 45 mins. Finally heard it and thought it was amazing, I still like it (studio version, live lacks something I think drum or bass wise) but the ending...will you biiieeete....it was weird to me at the time the way he sang it. Still sticks out a little to me.

But the album was streamed day before or something like that and me and a buddy smoked and sat and listened to it in its entirety and we were speechleess. So different but still nin. ATLITW was jarring in a good way. I still love the way the album just 'starts'. Only also was a suprise. Leading up to it TR talked about how he almost left it off and all but I was immediately hooked. Then the finale. I knew TLBTB from the snippet and hoped full version was even better. It was. The outro into BYIT, trippiest nin song and a top 10 song for me. I prefer album version of RWIB. I still love most of the album. Least favorites are the collector and getting smaller. If those were replaced with home and non entity it would ALMOST be perfect. But regardless, a huge album/release in my life. As with every nin release after TDS.

Oh and start of huge and healthy TR. That was also jarring in a good way. When I first saw THTF video I thought holy shit. Thought it was TR in beginning on the buchla but then nope, is that a football player, no its Trent ready to literally kick some ass. Fun times man. Wish we got to see the EDIETS video. Rant over.

seasonsinthesky
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
The little blips on nin.com.

The one for TLBTB is epic. I wish they'd used that quiet room tone/ambience before the album version. It'd be a good bridge from the end of Sunspots (or Home) and it makes the downbeat sound even bigger.

Vertigo
02-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Is that online anywhere now?

EndlessLoveless
02-24-2017, 08:51 PM

I would imagine they're all on youtube. Search with teeth blip.

Ryan
02-24-2017, 10:01 PM
I need to re-upload both of my 2009 recordings of those from Sydney. Give me an hour or so and I'll get them back up for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY8y2RcGo2M&fmt=22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwfJzBFfZtI&fmt=22

@nick999 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3169) @sick among the pure (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=266)

Ryan
02-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Random thought: Trent's high pitched scream at the end makes my life complete;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFCAIfvP-M

|mando|
02-24-2017, 11:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55RC1U15ts8

bwary
02-25-2017, 02:57 AM

I would imagine they're all on youtube. Search with teeth blip.

With Teeth teaser clip 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55RC1U15ts8)

I've only found three of them on youtube. All six are archived as originally presented on nin.com, and finding them can be relived (example: blip 1 here (http://www.portraitofdecay.net/nin.com/index-i.html)) Also, after they were rolled out with hidden links as a prelude, they became easily viewed on the nin.com/with_teeth page, archived here (http://www.portraitofdecay.net/nin.com/with_teeth/).

EndlessLoveless
02-25-2017, 03:29 AM
Ryan that live version of TLBTB is one of my favorites. Didn't it was yours, nice work. Good fucking show.

wizfan
02-25-2017, 03:52 AM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) that live version of TLBTB is one of my favorites. Didn't it was yours, nice work. Good fucking show.

Seconded. Trent hitting the high note at 2:50 and the vocal harmonies by JMJ and Robin at the end are killer.

Ryan
02-25-2017, 04:03 AM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) that live version of TLBTB is one of my favorites. Didn't it was yours, nice work. Good fucking show.

I need to reupload the rest of the videos from that show too. I got banned from YouTube back in 2014 because of stupid copyright strikes that I took down but they still enforced it. Anyway it seems like I'm unbanned now (on my main account). I've been using a secondary account to upload stuff to in the interim. Sucks, because Trent's Steal It speech in 2007 was my video as well and it had like over 500,000 views!

WorzelG
02-25-2017, 04:09 AM
I need to reupload the rest of the videos from that show too. I got banned from YouTube back in 2014 because of stupid copyright strikes that I took down but they still enforced it. Anyway it seems like I'm unbanned now (on my main account). I've been using a secondary account to upload stuff to in the interim. Sucks, because Trent's Steal It speech in 2007 was my video as well and it had like over 500,000 views!
The Something I Can Never Have performance was amazing. Thanks for putting these up

bwary
02-25-2017, 04:44 AM
I love and miss the older days of nin.com. ALWAYS toying with us. Hidden links in swf files found by hitting tab, partial song clips in swf files that evolved, updating pictures in links that already existed, hiding information in altered images; hiding links by adding a new graphic, cryptic messages in various forms of code, always teasing us; keeping us not only "checking", but rather "checking IN". I really disdain when someone says something derogatory in reply about the ARG. nin.com has been toying, teasing, and playing with us WELL before the ARG. In part, that's why the ARG jumped off so well. So to anyone thinking and replying to those who are inspecting nin.com as an ARG, get over it... the ARG was only a short time span in the the interactivity nin.com has given us. I hope they keep teasing us but sadly I think without Rob, the driving creative force behind the themes and "games", it's a thing of the past. I'll personally keep hoping, and although I have my doubts that we'll get themed and traffic driving teasing on nin.com, I'll still be looking. I hate to say it, but nin.com has slowly transitioned from an expanded and exciting experience to one of conformity :-(

Ryan
02-25-2017, 05:32 AM
The Something I Can Never Have performance was amazing. Thanks for putting these up

No problem, I just wish I got the WHOLE show! This was before I was smart enough to carry extra batteries on me. I got from the beginning (Frail/Wretched) to the first few seconds of The Fragile.

http://www.nin.wiki/2009/02/24_Sydney,_Australia#Setlist

FULLMETAL
02-25-2017, 12:03 PM
I'm not really a "make a setlist" sort of fellow, but I was kinda daydreaming about a performance theme for NIN2017 when iTunes shuffle hit me like a ton of bricks:

"Let The Hacking Begin" (In Motion)

kel
02-25-2017, 07:37 PM
listened to phm last night while friends were over. the lyrics to "that's what i get" are so silly. "slipping on the tears you made me cry", lololol.

ridic.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-25-2017, 07:54 PM
listened to phm last night while friends were over. the lyrics to "that's what i get" are so silly. "slipping on the tears you made me cry", lololol.

ridic.

haha we were all 24 once (except for me because I'm 16 :()

kel
02-25-2017, 08:12 PM

you're 16?

holy balls. well, good on you for having great taste.

but seriously, the lyrics on the second half of phm are goofy af.

implanted_microchip
02-25-2017, 09:16 PM
PHM's lyrics are so perfectly angsty and of a certain style and a certain era and a certain age. It's the exact kind of mopey and slightly-edgy in an adolescent way style of writing that you'd expect from an oldschool Depeche Mode-loving kid getting their first taste of heartbreak and it's wonderful and awkwardly and oddly endearing in that sort of way. Anyone who's been bitterly sad over trivial shit while sporting floppy hair can relate and nostalgically cringe remembering that old version of themselves. At its worst I find it very quaint and at its best I find it earnest and surprisingly impacting and still effective, making up for what it lacks in poetic prowess with its relentless and unashamed honesty.

In a weird sort of way, the older I get the more I adore that record, even if none of my actual life can connect with it anymore. It's unbelievably cool-sounding in the most delightfully retro way but with far more of a bite than most of its time and place.

piggy
02-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Hmmmm. For me, those notes would the be ending of "Losing Hope". Just the very definition of musical bleakness.

BenAkenobi
02-26-2017, 04:19 AM
people that went just to see a classic 90's grungy rock band who then stuck around for a group that they had little familiarity with beyond the big hits were not remotely expecting to see an electronic go fuck yourself noise explosion. Don't know why you're choosing to read it as something inherently negative...

Thank you, I choose (and will continue) to read as negative any and all implications that people of other fandom are "just there" to "not remotely expect" and "have their ass kicked" for your amusement. You are further outlining part of audience by putting together "they had little familiarity" and "not expecting go fuck yourself noise" and i'm not supporter of that particular lookout on music as on some form of "fuck you" to listeners.

Ryan
02-26-2017, 05:43 AM

ridic.

Even better - "that's what I get (for trusting youuuu!)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfr1fBRi_eU

Ryan
02-26-2017, 05:49 AM
The one for TLBTB is epic. I wish they'd used that quiet room tone/ambience before the album version. It'd be a good bridge from the end of Sunspots (or Home) and it makes the downbeat sound even bigger.

It kinda sounds like driving in a car. Someone should join it into the full album track, hint hint.

Disassociative
02-26-2017, 06:07 AM
It kinda sounds like driving in a car. Someone should join it into the full album track, hint hint.

I'll give it a go. My version of With Teeth has Non-Entity before The Line Begins To Blur so i'll just tag it onto the start

Edit: Done. Made two versions, one with a slight fade in of the teaser/blip audio and one without a fade in. If anyones at all interested send me a message.

Bachy
02-26-2017, 07:57 PM
One commenter on YouTube said "32 Ghosts IV" sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing in the beginning. I couldn't stop laughing.

Halo Infinity
02-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Ever since becoming a fan since 2002, I was wondering about possible future fans being born in the 1990s and 2000s later on. (I also arrived very late to the game.)

Well, more than enough time has definitely passed as I have seen more people born in the mid 1990s to the early 2000s posting in the 2010s. Obviously, some were just far too young, or weren't even born yet when I became a fan in the middle of The Fragile and With Teeth eras, but it's always a pleasure for me to see newer fans arrive, which means more fans for one of my favorite musicians of all time.

But yeah, it's pretty cool to see fans that are even younger than The Fragile these days too, while just being reminded about how well NIN stands the test of time again and again.

From what I recall, when I became a fan, most of the youngest fans were born in the late 1980s and 1990s too, but mostly the early 1990s as they were at least older than The Downward Spiral from what I've noticed. I also discussed this with @elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) , and was always fascinated to notice how most NIN fans on ETS (And other sites.) seemed to have been born in the 1970s and 1980s.

And well, welcome aboard yet again. The more the merrier, I say. :)

elevenism
02-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Absolutely, and i hate the high school shit of calling new fans poseurs and such.
I DID that in high school when NIN got popular, but it was fucking stupid and i was 14.
I can't hang with people doing that now, like, grown up people.

The more the merrier indeed!

Tommy_Macbeth
02-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Thank you! And I'm sure there could be plenty of kids in my age range who would love NIN, but music like NIN gets buried by the overflowing tub of pop-crap that's played and enjoyed by teenagers these days.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-26-2017, 10:40 PM
And yes, whoever you are, if you're a NIN fan, we accept you

bwary
02-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Ever since becoming a fan since 2002, I was wondering about possible future fans being born in the 1990s and 2000s later on. (I also arrived very late to the game.)
And then there's us long timer's who have children... some embrace NIN right away, some not so quick (and I would speculate that some won't)... I have one daughter (23 now) who loved NIN RIGHT away on her first listen (to be honest, though, she'd heard NIN and many other bands without her "knowing"), and a second daughter (18 now) who took a few years to enjoy it but always wants any NIN shirts I'm willing to give to her ;-)

Ribbitman
02-27-2017, 04:35 AM
I've always wondered what the hell Trent says at 3:56 of The Wretched

Kulerage
02-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Remember reading that it's a sample of radio interference, which is rather odd since it sounds just like Trent.

seasonsinthesky
02-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Remember reading that it's a sample of radio interference, which is rather odd since it sounds just like Trent.

I think that's caused by the music covering up a bunch of it and the assumption that if it isn't radio chatter, it'd have to be TR. From the sliver we can make out, I don't think there's anything specifically Trenty at all.

blassster
02-27-2017, 01:01 PM
I've always heard "what you did was try to stop it".

Papagolash
02-27-2017, 01:52 PM

From ninwiki:

"The bridge of the song contains a sample of radio interference often confused with whispered lyrics. It can be heard more clearly in Keith Hillebrandt (http://www.nin.wiki/Keith_Hillebrandt)'s remix of the song on Things Falling Apart (http://www.nin.wiki/Things_Falling_Apart)."

On the Deviation version you can actually hear it twice in the song, at 2:55 and 4:18.You only hear it once on the regular version because Trent is singing over the 1st time.

Kulerage
02-27-2017, 02:11 PM
From ninwiki:

"The bridge of the song contains a sample of radio interference often confused with whispered lyrics. It can be heard more clearly in Keith Hillebrandt (http://www.nin.wiki/Keith_Hillebrandt)'s remix of the song on Things Falling Apart (http://www.nin.wiki/Things_Falling_Apart)."

On the Deviation version you can actually hear it twice in the song, at 2:55 and 4:18.You only hear it once on the regular version because Trent is singing over the 1st time.
Now that I know when the first time it happens is, I think I can BARELY hear it at the original time

Halo Infinity
02-27-2017, 07:36 PM
I've always had a very hard time finding a way to explain this, since it's really one of those things you either have or don't.

Anyway, after listening to Purest Feeling and The Fragile: Deviations 1 again, I can state with absolute certainty that some Nine Inch Nails tracks actually trigger my ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) *It's also very popular on YouTube.*, especially when it comes to panning effects and certain electronic static, slamming and clicking sounds. (In case anybody's interested, or not only knows but has experienced ASMR, I even made a thread about it on the Speak your mind section.)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1499-ASMR-Autonomous-Sensory-Meridian-Response

The static sounds from Closer to God, Appendage and No, You Don't also triggered it. With Deviations 1, it's definitely the crunchy sounds, plus the way the drums sound along with them. As for Purest Feeling, the panning has a lot to do with it, as played on Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, The Only Time, Twist and Down In It. (Especially with the Big Whole Mix version.) Trent's whispering and panning also helps, but even so, if it pans just right, I get my ASMR triggered regardless.

The most simplest and succinct way to describe ASMR is to perhaps imagine having pins and needles and goosebumps sensations around your scalp in the direction where the sounds are going. If intense enough, they'll actually go down from the top, back and sides of your head down to your spine and the rest of your body if you're lucky. ASMR also works best on headphones. In most cases, headphones are actually a must with ASMR.

When in the mood, I love it, because it really is like getting a scalp massage to go with the already immensely satisfying entertainment.

nooneimportant
02-27-2017, 11:09 PM
I just want to say that Trent managed to create one of the sleaziest sounding songs ever with "Memorabilia."

captainbeyond
02-28-2017, 12:37 AM
I've always had a very hard time finding a way to explain this, since it's really one of those things you either have or don't.

Anyway, after listening to Purest Feeling and The Fragile: Deviations 1 again, I can state with absolute certainty that some Nine Inch Nails tracks actually trigger my ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) *It's also very popular on YouTube.*, especially when it comes to panning effects and certain electronic static, slamming and clicking sounds. (In case anybody's interested, or not only knows but has experienced ASMR, I even made a thread about it on the Speak your mind section.)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1499-ASMR-Autonomous-Sensory-Meridian-Response

The static sounds from Closer to God, Appendage and No, You Don't also triggered it. With Deviations 1, it's definitely the crunchy sounds, plus the way the drums sound along with them. As for Purest Feeling, the panning has a lot to do with it, as played on Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, The Only Time, Twist and Down In It. (Especially with the Big Whole Mix version.) Trent's whispering and panning also helps, but even so, if it pans just right, I get my ASMR triggered regardless.

The most simplest and succinct way to describe ASMR is to perhaps imagine having pins and needles and goosebumps sensations around your scalp in the direction where the sounds are going. If intense enough, they'll actually go down from the top, back and sides of your head down to your spine and the rest of your body if you're lucky. ASMR also works best on headphones. In most cases, headphones are actually a must with ASMR.

When in the mood, I love it, because it really is like getting a scalp massage to go with the already immensely satisfying entertainment.

I totally know what you are talking about. I experienced The Fragile on a bunch of LSD and the panning effects, static, clicking, etc...the crunchy sounds, really got to me. It seemed very organic. That album changed my life that day.

sheepdean
02-28-2017, 10:00 AM
I just want to say that Trent managed to create one of the sleaziest sounding songs ever with "Memorabilia."
Well .. that's because Marc Almond created it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD9DYtBkvVc

blassster
02-28-2017, 10:08 PM
This is what the Google Photos app thinks just like you imagined rehearsal .mov looks like, Trent's fucking thong.

https://app.box.com/representation/file_version_150781398240/image_2048/1.png?shared_name=0skvsyg1243g9soafez9ufey4yduwqm9

wizfan
03-01-2017, 06:44 AM
From now on, I suggest we use the term "euphoric" for the most amazing moments NIN has offered.

"Running" is so fucking euphoric.

fillow
03-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Just 10 months left in 2017... I'm starting to think that "two major works" are not happening this year.

kel
03-01-2017, 10:03 AM
whoa. i had no idea one of soft cell's albums opens with a song called "mr. self destruct".

implanted_microchip
03-01-2017, 03:10 PM
The creepier side of NIN is the best side of NIN

eversonpoe
03-01-2017, 03:37 PM
whoa. i had no idea one of soft cell's albums opens with a song called "mr. self destruct".

i've always wondered if trent is friends with marc almond. marc was in COIL in the early days and stayed friends with those guys up through their deaths, as far as i know, so i wonder if they all ever got together at any point to hang out.

sheepdean
03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Trent is pretty inspired by Soft Cell, especially the early stuff. Check This Last Night In Sodom for what is basically British PHM

kel
03-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Trent is pretty inspired by Soft Cell, especially the early stuff. Check This Last Night In Sodom for what is basically British PHM

i'll do that. i love non-stop erotic cabaret (now, anyways -- my sister had the cassette when i was a kid and something about it gave me the creeps), just never ventured past it.

wizfan
03-01-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna do yet another write-up on Hesitation Marks...

I'm listening to the latter half of the album. This time, I pay more attention to the lyrics and its intricate layering of sounds (up until this point, I would simply rock out to it, or lose myself inside it). Goddamn, the lyrics hit me much more in an emotional level now, especially I Would For You. Trent is simply at his most... ugh... broken... no... fragile... no, desperate and fearful state. He especially sounds worried about his family, afraid that his past lifestyle and depression may affect the people he loves. In an interview, he said that a particular "road rage" he experienced when he was in the car with his kids scared him, because he thought they could parrot his curses. When Travis Michael Keller of Buddyhead (a site Meathead and Aaron North used to write for) trashed HM, he said "Angst coming from a mansion? Whoa, that's pretty cool, dude". Without wanting to sound creepy, I was happy when Trent got rid of his mansion. It was a time for him to move on. I guess it was an ugly reminder of his "rock star" days.

As for NTAE, I view it as a great fuck you to those who didn't appreciate HM and Welcome oblivion. It sucks so much when you open up to people artistically and lyrically, only to get a "meh" response, and I'm sure people making fun of "Everything" didn't help matters. And even his big, "unfriendly" comeback backfired a bit, what with the whole Firebrand situation which left him frustrated and apologizing to everyone.

Dude. Can't. Catch. A. Break.

Art Vandelay
03-01-2017, 08:32 PM
wizfan I really like "Various Methods Of Escape" the instrumentation on that track is awesome of love the break down part while he is singing "I think I could lose myself in here" because the drums switch from the electronic sample drums to what sounds like live drums (but more then likely just a different sample) either way when it comes out of the break it has a very heavy sound and sets up the guitar part nicely. I just love the way that whole thing sounds.

wizfan
03-01-2017, 08:46 PM
the drums switch from the electronic sample drums to what sounds like live drums (but more then likely just a different sample)

No, you are right, it is live drums, performed by Ilan Rubin.

bobbie solo
03-02-2017, 01:13 AM
No, you are right, it is live drums, performed by Ilan Rubin.

a brief reprieve from the sometimes repetitive loopy beats that are at the center of the problems with the record.

acrid avid jam shred
03-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Hesitation Marks is an excellent record. I think it has to be one of the most underappreciated things Trent has done. There's so many cool electronic rhythms and subtle layers that reveal themselves as you listen more, and the music/lyrics have a kind of reflective nature that makes the whole album wonderfully atmospheric and immersive. All Time Low, Find My Way, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape, In Two, While I'm Still Here... those songs are fucking amazing! I just love how HM shows that Trent is still experimenting with the sounds of Nine Inch Nails, while putting so much powerful emotion into everything.

HWB
03-02-2017, 02:56 AM
Hesitation Marks is an excellent record. I think it has to be one of the most underappreciated things Trent has done. There's so many cool electronic rhythms and subtle layers that reveal themselves as you listen more, and the music/lyrics have a kind of reflective nature that makes the whole album wonderfully atmospheric and immersive. All Time Low, Find My Way, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape, In Two, While I'm Still Here... those songs are fucking amazing! I just love how HM shows that Trent is still experimenting with the sounds of Nine Inch Nails, while putting so much powerful emotion into everything.

I hope Hesitation Marks will be recognized as a master piece later on, like The Fragile

implanted_microchip
03-02-2017, 09:08 AM
I think Hesitation Marks is a fantastic look at how depression haunts a person and how no matter how much you meet the metrics of whatever you and the world around you determine as being "success," it can still catch up with you, and in those moments it feels like something you can never defeat and will never overcome, that it's just a matter of time until it swallows you whole. It's dark, it's interesting, it's layered, it's moody, it reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine's electronics and of The Downward Spiral's attitudes all filtered through that ultra-clean and perfectionist method that he and Atticus had been employing since around Year Zero.

It's funny, I loved that record so much when it came out -- and it was the first one to come out while I was interested in the band, and so it led to my first tours for NIN and all of that great stuff that you never forget -- that I pretty much played it to death so much that now I have to leave it on the shelf for a while before taking it back down. I must have played it over sixty times in the first month of release alone, and it stayed heavy in my rotation from there on for quite a while. At this point it's almost like I know it too well when I hear it, and giving myself space from it lets it surprise me again.

Oh, and I think Russel Mills coming back to do the art was a very inspired choice and led to some of his coolest work. All of the different art across different formats was amazing and the fact that it eventually led to Cargo in the Blood is amazing. I love it when bands give physical artwork some attention and Hesitation Marks really celebrated it. Couple all that with the live outings for it and it's always going to be a very electric, very exciting period of time in the band and in my life.

Disassociative
03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
I watched AATCHB for the first time in a while the other day - Robin definitely seemed to receive the brunt of the on stage 'abuse' didn't he?

Kulerage
03-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Was listening to Broken, when suddenly I noticed that the intro to Suck has barely audible whispering in it. Ninwiki doesn't note it. So, has anyone else noticed this?

sick among the pure
03-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Was listening to Broken, when suddenly I noticed that the intro to Suck has barely audible whispering in it. Ninwiki doesn't note it. So, has anyone else noticed this?

At the beginning of Suck, not Physical?

Kulerage
03-02-2017, 07:07 PM
At the beginning of Suck, not Physical?
Yup. The synth line is unmistakable.

sweeterthan
03-02-2017, 08:08 PM
I think you can hear it at the end too. Right before the "a thousand lips" part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy_Macbeth
03-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Rewatched the BYIT Concert DVD, and the visual aspects during Only look exactly the same as Burning Bright's music video.

seasonsinthesky
03-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Yeah, panned left of center. I thought it was just an echo of "suck" because the first one is a hard S sound and there are whispers of the verses panned right later on, but now I'm not sure.

Rubeninphoenix
03-02-2017, 11:47 PM
I wonder if they're gonna include some of that dust in the vinyl for NTAE? I hope not.

Kyle
03-03-2017, 01:54 AM
I've always heard "what you did was try to stop it".

Now I feel better thinking it was "but you didn't try to stop." It's almost the same as you thought.

Kyle
03-03-2017, 01:55 AM

What do your nipples look like?

HWB
03-03-2017, 05:37 AM
I think Hesitation Marks is a fantastic look at how depression haunts a person and how no matter how much you meet the metrics of whatever you and the world around you determine as being "success," it can still catch up with you, and in those moments it feels like something you can never defeat and will never overcome, that it's just a matter of time until it swallows you whole. It's dark, it's interesting, it's layered, it's moody, it reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine's electronics and of The Downward Spiral's attitudes all filtered through that ultra-clean and perfectionist method that he and Atticus had been employing since around Year Zero.

It's funny, I loved that record so much when it came out -- and it was the first one to come out while I was interested in the band, and so it led to my first tours for NIN and all of that great stuff that you never forget -- that I pretty much played it to death so much that now I have to leave it on the shelf for a while before taking it back down. I must have played it over sixty times in the first month of release alone, and it stayed heavy in my rotation from there on for quite a while. At this point it's almost like I know it too well when I hear it, and giving myself space from it lets it surprise me again.

Oh, and I think Russel Mills coming back to do the art was a very inspired choice and led to some of his coolest work. All of the different art across different formats was amazing and the fact that it eventually led to Cargo in the Blood is amazing. I love it when bands give physical artwork some attention and Hesitation Marks really celebrated it. Couple all that with the live outings for it and it's always going to be a very electric, very exciting period of time in the band and in my life.

I am really happy are realizing this isn't a happy record at all, especially considering it ends with with a track called Black Noise. Let's even consider the album's title and its meaning.

Seeing people calling this the "happy Trent" makes me quite bothered as it shows people don't properly look through the lyrics and see what they meam, it's a very depressive yet real look at how even when life has turned around that feeling still lurs within. The album ends at Black Noise and "While I'm Still Here" sounds like a suicide note.

Trent appears very varnurable in the record throughout, it feels really honest and gives you amazing sense of the journey.

Volband
03-03-2017, 06:36 AM
You see, my problem with this is that it hardly resonates with most of us. You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.

Sure, you can always interpret lyrics to your own situation, but the majority of HM will never be as bombastic lyrically to a general audience as songs like Even Deeper, Somewhat Damaged or Love Is Not Enough. Also, you reflecting on your depression or depressive states in your 20s while still being in your twenties or early 30s can not nearly be as powerful, than looking back to it when you hae already fought your biggest battles in your life and now in a relatively happy place.

I am very happy this album has been made, definitely a needed piece in the discography (+ the tours), and I wouldn't rate it lower than a 7, but in the near future, I don't see myself bothering with it too much. It's more like the Still of The Downward Spiral, while Not The Actual Events is the next big thing after Ghosts I-IV.

WorzelG
03-03-2017, 06:50 AM
You see, my problem with this is that it hardly resonates with most of us. You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.

Sure, you can always interpret lyrics to your own situation, but the majority of HM will never be as bombastic lyrically to a general audience as songs like Even Deeper, Somewhat Damaged or Love Is Not Enough. Also, you reflecting on your depression or depressive states in your 20s while still being in your twenties or early 30s can not nearly be as powerful, than looking back to it when you hae already fought your biggest battles in your life and now in a relatively happy place.

I am very happy this album has been made, definitely a needed piece in the discography (+ the tours), and I wouldn't rate it lower than a 7, but in the near future, I don't see myself bothering with it too much. It's more like the Still of The Downward Spiral, while Not The Actual Events is the next big thing after Ghosts I-IV.

There's this thing called empathy that some people have which is probably why johnny cash's Hurt didn't just resonate with people who are at deaths door after losing their partner a few months earlier. You know everyone gets old someday

Volband
03-03-2017, 07:26 AM
There's this thing called empathy that some people have which is probably why johnny cash's Hurt didn't just resonate with people who are at deaths door after losing their partner a few months earlier. You know everyone gets old someday
And what do you think is more relateable? The idea that we are all going to die, which is something none of us can really comprehend and can cause existential crisis starting in your early teens when you start thinking about it when you go to bed, OR
looking back to your junkie, self-abusing, lonely, depressed self from a whole different perspective? Mind you, said perspective includes another 20 years of experience since the start of your struggles, and includes you being a happily married (let's stick with happy), successful person.

Personally, I think more about my inevitable death, than what am I gonna think about my current or past struggles once I am - if I am, to begin with - settled in life in 15-20 years.

VMOE is a good exception on HM, because that song actually has a big punch and can be interpreted in a more general way, even though it's one of the most addiction-specific song on the record.

I can happily listen to testimonials of people who bettered their life, and reflect on their struggles, great for them!! But I burst out in tears when I see Florence sing with a young child who is going to die in a few weeks. HM's meaning and lyrical content is only strong if you are in some specific situation; otherwise, you can have at least 2 more NIN songs from the past for each song on the record.

WorzelG
03-03-2017, 07:37 AM
????? Personally I think inevitable death is much more relatable than looking back on an addictive past? What % of people are genuine drug addicts, i'd say its quite small. Everyone experiences death either through grandparents or parents if you're really unlucky at quite a young age.

Volband
03-03-2017, 08:22 AM
????? Personally I think inevitable death is much more relatable than looking back on an addictive past? What % of people are genuine drug addicts, i'd say its quite small. Everyone experiences death either through grandparents or parents if you're really unlucky at quite a young age.
Um... we are saying the same thing :D

BRoswell
03-03-2017, 08:35 AM
You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you.

I'm 26 and have crippling depression that has led me to contemplate suicide more times than I wish to admit, so yes, I can very much relate to songs like While I'm Still Here.

Volband
03-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Fair enough.

implanted_microchip
03-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Volband I tried three separate times to commit suicide in my teen years. I don't have to be 40-something and with kids to relate to the feeling that you'll never get away completely from the plague inside your head. Especially being bipolar, the experience of having a normal or manic phase and then sliding back into depression is an absolute hope-destroying nightmare and becomes so exhausting in its inevitable routine. I find a lot of it to be still relatable and the underlying themes are easy to connect to. In Two is just a classical The Becoming-style narrative. I can see how some people might not connect with all of it literally, but that's part of why I love music -- you don't have to completely word for word relate for something to be powerful or hold meaning.

thatguymark
03-03-2017, 11:10 AM
...you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.

Hank Williams was 27 when he recorded Weary Blues From Waitin', with the line about watching young lovers walking by that Trent borrowed. Good art can offer different things to us as we change through the years, but I don't think there's a minimum age of admission to appreciate it. I mean, high schoolers reading The Great Gatsby don't yet have the years under their belts to really feel the weight of "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past," but many still love the novel, and their appreciation of the work is not invalid.

Volband
03-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Can't argue with those opinions. To me, however, the TDS-TF-WT trio is way ahead of HM. Like, I could pick a better suited song for said feeling from those three records, HM just does it a more calm and collective manner. VMOE is the only exception.

edit: to be fair, I am everything but calm and collective :D

HWB
03-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Hank Williams was 27 when he recorded Weary Blues From Waitin', with the line about watching young lovers walking by that Trent borrowed. Good art can offer different things to us as we change through the years, but I don't think there's a minimum age of admission to appreciate it. I mean, high schoolers reading The Great Gatsby don't yet have the years under their belts to really feel the weight of "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past," but many still love the novel, and their appreciation of the work is not invalid. The concept of watching "lovers go by" is relatable to every age if you ask me, if you are young and you don't have anyone or your relationship is in demise and you see people walking around you holding hands, jealousy will settle in. With the context of While I'm Still Here, it seems like it seems to be a song about a man who's relatioship has somehow fallen apart and his life is somehow crashing down and feels their past about to pull them back at any moment. I personaly indentified with pretty much every track from the album and I'm only twenty.

BRoswell
03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Can't argue with those opinions. To me, however, the TDS-TF-WT trio is way ahead of HM. Like, I could pick a better suited song for said feeling from those three records, HM just does it a more calm and collective manner. VMOE is the only exception.

edit: to be fair, I am everything but calm and collective :D

I could point to songs on non-Nine Inch Nails albums that convey those feelings better, but that doesn't invalidate their effect on me.

Volband
03-04-2017, 01:27 AM
I could point to songs on non-Nine Inch Nails albums that convey those feelings better, but that doesn't invalidate their effect on me.
Context matters, however, which is in this case NIN's discography. HM does not give anything to me which I couldn't have found on previous NIN records, except in a better delivery. TDS, TF and WT all have songs about depression, addiction and a search for a sense of purpose.

I can't find a song on HM that doesn't start with the letter "V" which would describe my experience with such things better, than Mr SD, The Becoming, IDNWT, The Big Come Down, Into The Void, ATLITW, TLBTB or RWIB, to name a few songs from those records. And it's even more apparent, when you put the similar themes together, like Closer vs ATL or The Becomng vs In Two. Heresy vs Find My Way is probably the highlight of the record(in terms of callbacks/reflections), because that transition is really exciting and those songs doesn't really compete with each other.

And if I gave a positive shoutout to VMOE, then Disappointed needs to be dragged through the mud. It has Kinda I Want To levels of low effort approach in every regard. Slipping on tears suddenly sounds like Shakespeare compared to Disappointed's "I really don't have a fucking idea what lyrics do I want to pair this song with, but I have to write something, because I made these cool sounds and I want it on the record!". Like, Disappointed is where you draw the line, that even on a minimalistic record like HM, this is not acceptable.

HM kinda feels like cool sounds > actual content. So many songs are just rehashes (=/= new iteration) of older themes or going on to nowhere. The three exceptions are Satellite, Everything and Running, those songs are actually new freakin' Nine Inch Nails for better or worse. However, 2 of those 3 were not even meant for that record, which kinda sums it all up.

The same way I don't think The Slip should have an immunity for criticism just because it was done so fast, so everything you don't like about that record was meant to be and an art, HM should not get away with slacking off compared to the other major releases. Especially after NTAE showed that you can call back to past songs or eras without basing 50% or more of your song on older ones.

Extra minus points for Trent for making it while being neck down in HTDA stuff, because while HM sounds like a very different NIN, I can't just ignore that he already made extremely similar music as his side project, so it was a tried and proved sound, nothing compared to the jumps between the previous big releases, where he always pushed himself in uncharted territories.

I do see the trend of people being in arms together for HM, despite the rather mixed reception it had back then. The opposite started to happen with NTAE, but I am not sure what is the consensus now, as I couldn't keep up with that thread.

WorzelG
03-04-2017, 03:12 AM
Disappointed is actually one of the first songs I really got into on the album, I love the juxtaposition of the beats and Trent's almost show-tune vocals. In fact I love singing it when alone in the house and it's great to dance to. It does get a bit repetetive towards the end though, but it was even beefed up with some piano elements in some European performances which made the ending not drag so much (not sure whether this addition made it to the 2014 US tour, I haven't really watched any videos of that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvG3OPEThSc

Volband
03-04-2017, 05:11 AM
It's better live, because of the visuals and the non-muddy vocals. Still won't understand how anyone can like the album version, let alone get hooked by it :D There are HTDA songs more NIN, than Disappointed.

implanted_microchip
03-04-2017, 07:59 PM
The Idea of You and Burning Bright are two of NIN's greatest songs ever. They're both just that good.

bwary
03-04-2017, 09:11 PM
It's better live, because of the visuals and the non-muddy vocals. Still won't understand how anyone can like the album version, let alone get hooked by it :D nope, still sucks to me; have a hard time to make it through the entire video

Disassociative
03-04-2017, 10:05 PM
I wonder whatever happened to that greatest hits album that resulted in Hesitation Marks. I thought it was a contractual thing so surely Trent has to do it eventually right?
Not that we really need one - we have the whole Definitive NIN thing - but I'm somewhat curious what he would have put on it.

Bachy
03-04-2017, 11:44 PM
For the longest time, "The Wretched" was my #1 NIN track. Now it's a three-way tie between that, "Ruiner," and "Heresy."

Tommy_Macbeth
03-05-2017, 12:00 AM
The Idea of You and Burning Bright are two of NIN's greatest songs ever. They're both just that good.

They rival TDS/Hurt, Beside You In Time/Right Where It Belongs, In This Twilight/Zero-Sum, and While I'm Still Here/Black Noise for my favorite last 2 songs on a NIN record.

kel
03-05-2017, 01:02 AM
i wish my memory of the salt lake sound check was vivid. It was so rad. i remember reznor asking us to stand back to see the "smashing" of the screen.

Volband
03-05-2017, 08:14 AM
For the longest time, "The Wretched" was my #1 NIN track. Now it's a three-way tie between that, "Ruiner," and "Heresy."
I've always wondered what could make Heresy someone's favorite song. I like how it's heavy (duh...) and I don't mnd the edgy lyrics in the chorus, but after 2 minutes it just gets too repetitive. It kinda lacks the evolution which other longer NIN songs had on TDS.

Bachy
03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
I've always wondered what could make Heresy someone's favorite song. I like how it's heavy (duh...) and I don't mnd the edgy lyrics in the chorus, but after 2 minutes it just gets too repetitive. It kinda lacks the evolution which other longer NIN songs had on TDS.

Many repetitveness in the latter half is made up by the sheer awesomeness of the first half. I mean, that opening beat alone . . .

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-42395-american-pie-jim-and-nadia-gif-a4Do.gif

kel
03-05-2017, 01:17 PM
it's so awesome that michael jackson liked tds. i know janet does, too (spotify playlists). huge fan of both.

BRoswell
03-05-2017, 06:12 PM
So many songs are just rehashes (=/= new iteration) of older themes or going on to nowhere.

You've pretty much described every Nine Inch Nails album since Broken. ;)

implanted_microchip
03-06-2017, 07:02 PM
While I'm Still Here/Black Noise on the Tension tour remains one of the greatest things I have ever seen live.

Tommy_Macbeth
03-07-2017, 06:56 PM
I'm just now realizing how much I LOVE Discipline, Beside You In Time, and Ringfinger. How did they just pass me by???

Ribbitman
03-07-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm just now realizing how much I LOVE Discipline, Beside You In Time, and Ringfinger. How did they just pass me by???

All 3 are amazing. When BYIT kicks in around the 3:50 mark? (I think) and Ringfingers ending. Oh man

Kulerage
03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Yes good. Soon you will realize the other underrated gems

patj825
03-08-2017, 09:33 AM

A Catholic upbringing.

Disassociative
03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Slowly getting one of my friends into some NIN stuff - I've been recommending random tracks from the Definitive NIN playlists she seems to prefer stuff from the Quiet one. Her favorites so far has been And All That Could Have Been which surprised me a little and the Still version of The Becoming.

ryanmcfly
03-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Just watched the video for Deep for the first time since around 2007 when I first got into Nine Inch Nails. That... was definitely an experience.

HWB
03-08-2017, 04:55 PM
ETS related more than anything else.

Reading through the Hesitation Marks thread before and after it came out is so charming, you have bunch of guys teasing and making jokes about the leak not coming yet, everyone making their speculations and then being absolutely blown away by the album once they get to hear it in its entirety.

It makes me sad that I cannot see people's reactions to other albums of NIN before and after they came out.

Ryan
03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
ETS related more than anything else.

Reading through the Hesitation Marks thread before and after it came out is so charming, you have bunch of guys teasing and making jokes about the leak not coming yet, everyone making their speculations and then being absolutely blown away by the album once they get to hear it in its entirety.

It makes me sad that I cannot see people's reactions to other albums of NIN before and after they came out.

You can check out ETS archives pre-With_Teeth.

sheepdean
03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
You can check out ETS archives pre-With_Teeth.
I thought that was a sponsor-only thing

Also you'll find my comments always hilarious HWB

blassster
03-08-2017, 06:06 PM
I thought that was a sponsor-only thing

Also you'll find my comments always hilarious HWB
Archive access has been dead for a bit.

Ryan
03-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Wayback machine maybe?

Tommy_Macbeth
03-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Listening to TDS on it's anniversary today only reinforced its status as my favorite album.

Kulerage
03-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Can't believe I forgot TDS's anniversary

botley
03-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Can't believe I forgot TDS's anniversary
Quick! The florist is still open, there's time to get her a bouquet

Bachy
03-10-2017, 12:30 PM
I find myself back here again and again.

I used to know who I was until you came along

Microwave Jellyfish
03-10-2017, 04:58 PM
note: I'm fucking drunk. Sorry for any grammatical inconsistencies a nd such

I don't think there's any NIN songs more underrated than Not So Pretty Now and Getting Smaller.

I hope NTAE sounding like the NIN/JA EP minus vacuum cleaner SFX will make ppl re-valuate them.

Hesus fuck, them grungy bass lines, whoah.

Tommy_Macbeth
03-10-2017, 06:51 PM
I find myself back here again and again.

I used to know who I was until you came along

Home is one of those songs that I looked over initially for whatever reason, and now I looove it

Bachy
03-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Home is one of those songs that I looked over initially for whatever reason, and now I looove it

I fell in love with it when I saw it at the Chicago sound check during the NINJA tour. Goddamn, that fucking guitar intro.

Microwave Jellyfish
03-11-2017, 09:32 AM
I hope NTAE sounding like the NIN/JA EP minus vacuum cleaner SFX
Other way around, you dumb fuck.

Find My Way is a very pleasant song to wake up to.

Ryan Tollefson
03-12-2017, 12:54 AM
Just upgrade to a pretty kick ass 5.1 surround from 3.1. I can't watch or listen now as the house is asleep, how should I test it out tomorrow (today), BYIT, AVOTT, Downward Spiral SACD, With Teeth DVD-A? I can't wait. This ain't no home theatre in a box, and I'm pumped!

blassster
03-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Just upgrade to a pretty kick ass 5.1 surround from 3.1. I can't watch or listen now as the house is asleep, how should I test it out tomorrow (today), BYIT, AVOTT, Downward Spiral SACD, With Teeth DVD-A? I can't wait. This ain't no home theatre in a box, and I'm pumped!

TDS for sure.

HWB
03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Is it me or was there a significant improvence on Trent's voice in Not The Actual Events? Those screams in Branches/Bonnes, She's Gone Away The Idea Of You and Burning Bright are insane.

virushopper
03-12-2017, 01:53 PM
FYFest will announcing their line up this week. I hope NIN is on the bill.

Kyle
03-12-2017, 02:20 PM
When do most festivals announce their lineups? Because I still find it odd that nin would be playing only one show all summer.

Kulerage
03-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Is it me or was there a significant improvence on Trent's voice in Not The Actual Events? Those screams in Branches/Bonnes, She's Gone Away The Idea Of You and Burning Bright are insane.
Heard his screams on the Tension tour? He's clearly always had it.

HWB
03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Heard his screams on the Tension tour? He's clearly always had it. You're right, I guess hearing the album versions of "Hesitation Marks" and "The Sip for so long gave me that impression, their performances on album versions are much more calmer than the live/rehearsal versions of them.

I still feel like NTAE is some of his best performance in years, I don't even remember such range, his melodic voice in Dear World is pretty great. I don't know, I just find it very impressive.

niggo
03-12-2017, 03:39 PM
When do most festivals announce their lineups? Because I still find it odd that nin would be playing only one show all summer.

Maybe it's something like a warm-up for Trent and friends before having a full tour in fall/winter ... or maybe that's just me hoping.

Tension was announced in June, so there's still quite some time.

BRoswell
03-12-2017, 04:58 PM
If there is a tour, I can't see it being very big. There's new music to perform, but it's only an EP's worth. There's also the fact that, with a full family, it's not so easy to just pack up and go on tour.

Kyle
03-12-2017, 05:40 PM
If there is a tour, I can't see it being very big. There's new music to perform, but it's only an EP's worth. There's also the fact that, with a full family, it's not so easy to just pack up and go on tour.

He said as such after his last tour. That last time e could still bring the kids but now they're in school and he doesn't want to bring them on the road and he doesn't want to be apart from them for the amount of time major world tours take. But he said he would probably do smaller tours. I was thinking something like the HtDA tour. It just seems like a lot of work for just one show.

niggo
03-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Dunno, I still kind of believe that there's more music coming this year.

WorzelG
03-12-2017, 06:41 PM
According to the Beats Radio interview there are 2 NIN related projects on the cards this year. No idea whether they are live performance related though.

sweeterthan
03-14-2017, 03:05 PM
nin custom converse shoes
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/216181725/custom-nine-inch-nails-nin-ocean-theme?ref=related-3
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/189114317/custom-nine-inch-nails-nin-downward?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

somewhat_
03-14-2017, 03:16 PM

FYF and lollapalooza will be next week. Pemberton should be shortly there after.

Kulerage
03-14-2017, 05:08 PM
After hearing live performances of Starfuckers, Inc. I can say that the studio version is too slow

Kyle
03-14-2017, 06:53 PM
These vinyl remasters are all well and good for those of you into that but I still want my Fragile 5.1 mix

ninlive
03-14-2017, 07:39 PM
After hearing live performances of Starfuckers, Inc. I can say that the studio version is too slow

06/06/06 Birmingham is my favorite live version of it.

Ryan
03-15-2017, 04:26 AM
06/06/06 Birmingham is my favorite live version of it.

What a date!

theimage13
03-15-2017, 10:50 PM
I forgot how fucking good WITT is. I think it's been a while since I've actually listened to this song (vs it just being on while I'm doing other things), and I have no idea why. Holy shit.

sweeterthan
03-16-2017, 06:57 AM
What a date!

The next day was the Atlanta show and the first backstage radio performance with Peter Murphy. [emoji41]

seasonsinthesky
03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
I forgot how fucking good WITT is. I think it's been a while since I've actually listened to this song (vs it just being on while I'm doing other things), and I have no idea why. Holy shit.

Especially with the Pellington intro and the full D1 ending!

EndlessLoveless
03-16-2017, 12:56 PM
How fucking awesome is the part in MOTP from AATCHB when he goes, (before I type this let me state I'm not sure how to write exhaling breath noises) "heh, heh, heh, heh come right fucking down". So badass.

WorzelG
03-16-2017, 01:18 PM
I wish we could have some more information about these two NIN projects happening this year. I'm getting a bit impatient now

sweeterthan
03-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Last time, we waited almost a whole year. Settle in, my friend.

implanted_microchip
03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm utterly love with the cheesy, dated-as-fuck verses and overall sound of Ringfinger. The composition itself is so strong that the goofy, dorky New Wave indulgence of it is just so fucking charming. It kicks an enormous amount of ass and gets away with so much more than it should.

Also, Trent's delivery on "Wrap my eyes in bandages" is just amazing.

BRoswell
03-16-2017, 06:05 PM
I'm utterly love with the cheesy, dated-as-fuck verses and overall sound of Ringfinger. The composition itself is so strong that the goofy, dorky New Wave indulgence of it is just so fucking charming. It kicks an enormous amount of ass and gets away with so much more than it should.

Also, Trent's delivery on "Wrap my eyes in bandages" is just amazing.

I seriously want them to play it live again. I think a re-worked version ala Sanctified would be great.

EndlessLoveless
03-17-2017, 04:31 PM
The end of Hurt is fucking brutal man. That way loud, harsh distortion combined with those 3 specific notes combined with the way the drums completely stop as those notes are played COMBINED with the outro drone....hurts so good no pun intended. Best album ending ever. Any one else would've had the drums hit hard along with those last 3 notes, like the live version if I remember correctly. Probably translates better live with the crashes.

Prettybrokenspiral
03-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Does anyone else here follow Kraw on Instagram? Between his random potshots at Pitchfork and his hilarious photos/videos of his pets, dude has become one of my go-to follows on IG for daily entertainment..

tony.parente
03-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Came home from my work trip and my wife hung some nin/other things while I was gone!

https://i.imgur.com/voTVVm0l.jpg

wizfan
03-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Does anyone else here follow Kraw on Instagram? Between his random potshots at Pitchfork and his hilarious photos/videos of his pets, dude has become one of my go-to follows on IG for daily entertainment..

Trent seems to dig art directors with a sense of humor. Remember Rob's Demonbaby blog?

Detunez
03-18-2017, 10:07 AM
I was just remembering the NiN logo in a DooM map from Thy Flesh Consumed.

wizfan
03-19-2017, 04:57 AM
There's a metronome at the very end of Just Like You Imagined. Thanks, 2017 DE.

muad'nin
03-19-2017, 05:10 AM

There are so many hidden nuggets on that album that the DE has "unearthed". It would be fascinating to do a track-by-track comparison.

Much like the album as released in '99, I reckon we'll be discovering new elements/constituents for years to come. That LP has been such a beautiful gift to us over the years.

HWB
03-19-2017, 09:47 AM
It's a crime "You Know What You Are?" doesn't appear in live shows anymore.

Wulgaren
03-19-2017, 12:07 PM
That one post with his dog and then the Fragile vinyl appears. Pure gold.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Krazy
03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Came home from my work trip and my wife hung some nin/other things while I was gone!

Is that Manson on a $100 bill?

tony.parente
03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Is that Manson on a $100 bill?
Lol yeah, it was the confetti during the Manson/slipknot shows

Ryan
03-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Speaking of, I wonder why TR removed the static from the song in the DE version? Especially that awesome static at the end - now it's just the piano.

seasonsinthesky
03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Speaking of, I wonder why TR removed the static from the song in the DE version? Especially that awesome static at the end - now it's just the piano.

That's only the alt mix on Deviations 1. The proper Fragile DE still has the static like normal.

Ryan
03-19-2017, 05:59 PM
That's only the alt mix on Deviations 1. The proper Fragile DE still has the static like normal.

Yeah sorry I meant the alt mix, I wonder why he took it out?

seasonsinthesky
03-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Yeah sorry I meant the alt mix, I wonder why he took it out?

Needed to change something? Everything else was the same! Or maybe it really was in consideration for the album.

eversonpoe
03-19-2017, 06:26 PM

ahhhhhhh you put my band's vinyl and cassette on that shelf!?!? <3 <3 <3

Ribbitman
03-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Just Like You Imagined is the most epic piece of music written by anyone. Ever.

Art Vandelay
03-19-2017, 07:37 PM
I got a much older co worker into NIN and explained to him that NIN, there is more to them, then just "Closer" and "Hurt", that there is a lot there. As our discussions about music went on, I burned him a cd of The Fragile (I have bought it enough times I can burn somebody a copy if I want to), (I would have given him a flash drive but all he has is a CD player in his car). He fucking loves it. Now he has all the NIN cd's we have these heavy discussions about music all the time. He is a Rolling Stones fan and I told him I love the Stones, and we have had heavy discussions about Chopin, Miles Davis, John Coltrane. He literally has had the first disc of The Fragile in his car stereo for a couple months now. I explained to him that if you go to an NIN show there is a band, but NIN is really just one guy, Trent Reznor. He is like, "that is one talented motherfucker".
This whole thing started when everybody at work was watching "Westworld" and he asked me what the song was in one of the episodes, I said it was "Something I can Never Have" by NIN. After he searched them and heard "Closer" and "Hurt" our discussions began.

sick among the pure
03-19-2017, 08:13 PM
I had a dream that nin.com updated and had a list of live band members and the word soon. And because it was my dream, Robin was on the list. I didn't recognize any of the other names as real people.

BRoswell
03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
It would be really funny if the lineup was made up of completely new people.

xolotl
03-19-2017, 09:19 PM
It would be really funny if the lineup was made up of completely new people.

NIN 2017:

Ted Resnir
Robert Frinck
Alex Cortada
Alan Rubin
Josh Wink

sick among the pure
03-20-2017, 02:49 AM
NIN 2017:

Josh Wink

Finally, Black Bomb live!

Tommy_Macbeth
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Burning Bright: The third "and" in "break through the surface and" always gives me the chills. I love how you can hear Trent's voice get darker, deeper, and quieter before the explosion.

bobbie solo
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM

She should do better.

Dryalex12
03-20-2017, 06:58 PM
I just noticed two things I didn't notice before.....

There is a bass on TWOIT and that the aaaa and oooo at the end of EDIETS is the same notes as the piano in the beginning

Ryan
03-20-2017, 07:48 PM
She should do better.

Every time I look at it I want to fix them so they aren't crooked.

and fucking lol at that comment

kel
03-20-2017, 10:56 PM

that looks AWESOME, tony. props to your misses.

Kulerage
03-21-2017, 08:42 AM
I just noticed two things I didn't notice before.....

There is a bass on TWOIT
I would make fun of you for not noticing that at first, but then again I didn't notice the bassline in Complication at first.

virushopper
03-21-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm not too bummed about the lineup but it would have been cool to see Eugene from Autolux in the band playing bass.

pinata89
03-21-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm not too bummed about the lineup but it would have been cool to see Eugene from Autolux in the band playing bass.

Wait? Was this rumored to potentially happen? Because that would have been fucking rad. I love his bass rig...(which I have read is identical to the Fractal bass rig that Greg/Ken use for Failure).

Art Vandelay
03-21-2017, 01:32 PM

I would be just as happy with another Autolux album and Autolux opening some NIN shows.

sick among the pure
03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Ok, we have a confirmed lineup. Now he needs to confirm there will be a proper tour. I don't want to have to spend hundreds and travel and stay for NYC if I can instead hit up multiple normal shows...

Vertigo
03-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Ahhh, that's better.

http://i.imgur.com/oPZhP28.jpg

[/terribleperson]

patj825
03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Ahhh, that's better.

[/terribleperson]

I liked it better broken (crooked and unstable). The Wife definitely gets NIN.

xfocalinx
03-21-2017, 03:04 PM

All outa bubblegum

Ribbitman
03-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Dammit whenever I hear Starfuckers now, I hear Starfuckers in the pouring rain instead of Starfuckers inc

kel
03-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Dammit whenever I hear Starfuckers now, I hear Starfuckers in the pouring rain instead of Starfuckers inc

haha. one of the best misheard lyrics you can't unhear. almost as good as "TASTES GREAT", buuuut that's another thread.

virushopper
03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Wait? Was this rumored to potentially happen? Because that would have been fucking rad. I love his bass rig...(which I have read is identical to the Fractal bass rig that Greg/Ken use for Failure).
No, there was no rumor. Just wishful thinking.

Jon
03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Ahhh, that's better.

[/terribleperson]

You forgot to laser level the shelving!

Dryalex12
03-21-2017, 08:17 PM
haha. one of the best misheard lyrics you can't unhear. almost as good as "TASTES GREAT", buuuut that's another thread.

A penis....has control

Bachy
03-21-2017, 10:20 PM
The 2:18 mark in "Deep."

fillow
03-22-2017, 01:57 AM
It's about fucking time they play Memorabilia live.
TR+AR+AC on three synths, Me I'm Not/Vessel-style. Ilan adding in some live percussion and cymbals. Robin goes wild on guitar, and he can sing "What do your nipples look like" live, reprising his sample on the studio version.

BRoswell
03-22-2017, 02:44 AM
I really do hope they bring some songs that haven't been played in a while (or ever) into the mix, as well as some possible reworkings. With Atticus on board not only as the other permanent member of the band, but as a member of the live band as well, I'm hoping he'll bring a fresh perspective to the live element and what can be accomplished with it.

ChipRock
03-22-2017, 03:33 AM
Yep. Looking forward to see what they come out with, and personally I'd be pleased to see some HTDA thrown in too. Considering these are festival dates though I expect the sets will largely be made up of old favourites, but some electronics heavy reworks would be a treat.

03-22-2017, 11:28 AM
with Trents recent love letters to The Fragile, would be killer to hear songs like "We're In This Together' and 'Into The Void' and 'Great Below" etc.....also to see a festival crowds confused reaction to these songs would be worth it as well

Art Vandelay
03-22-2017, 12:18 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance to see and hear songs from The Fragile that haven't been played in years, for the upcoming shows and possible tour.

Kulerage
03-22-2017, 12:59 PM
While we're on the topic of Fragile songs being played, I wanna hear Underneath It All, Ripe (With Decay) and ILFTJY,F live.

xolotl
03-22-2017, 01:05 PM
I really do hope they bring some songs that haven't been played in a while (or ever) into the mix, as well as some possible reworkings. With Atticus on board not only as the other permanent member of the band, but as a member of the live band as well, I'm hoping he'll bring a fresh perspective to the live element and what can be accomplished with it.

Yeah, that'd certainly be nice, though history seems to indicate that apart from adding some newly-released material to festival shows, Trent tends to play it pretty safe in that context. He's said in the past that he's pretty conscious of making sure his shows aren't just for the diehard NIN fans that only want to hear EP B-sides, and I think that tends to come to the fore during festivals.

Who knows, though! I'll certainly be hoping for some rarities as well.

ultimatebdp
03-22-2017, 02:38 PM
It will most likely be the standard, festival tunes with a few new NTAE tunes...BUT how cool would it be if there's a new unreleased track?!!!

buckaroo
03-22-2017, 03:47 PM
It will most likely be the standard, festival tunes with a few new NTAE tunes...BUT how cool would it be if there's a new unreleased track?!!!

There are supposedly two major nin releases scheduled for this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if new material surfaces prior to these shows.

alfonso99
03-22-2017, 04:20 PM
There are supposedly two major nin releases scheduled for this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if new material surfaces prior to these shows.

i will put all my money on this. i bet that before July, new material will be out.

ChipRock
03-23-2017, 05:33 AM
i bet that before July, new material will be out.

That's some optimism right there. Impressive. I bet we'll still be here mid December wondering where those other promised NIN projects are.

alfonso99
03-23-2017, 08:14 AM
i know what you mean, but optimism is my middle name.

Kyle
03-23-2017, 09:29 AM
That's some optimism right there. Impressive. I bet we'll still be here mid December wondering where those other promised NIN projects are.

No that's about when they will be announced lol

BRoswell
03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
I don't have any assumptions about when new material will be released. Almost everyone on here was convinced that there would be no new music before the end of 2016, and yet we ended up with a new EP. Trent & Atticus release music when they're ready.

sick among the pure
03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
with Trents recent love letters to The Fragile, would be killer to hear songs like "We're In This Together' and 'Into The Void' and 'Great Below" etc.....also to see a festival crowds confused reaction to these songs would be worth it as well

At this point, unfortunately, it's doubtful we will get WITT live again. Trent's voice just can't handle the chorus anymore. I'll never forget reading about the one soundcheck where people wanted him to play it and he mentioned that he can't sing it anymore but if someone wanted to come up and sing it they would play it. That lucky sob that got to do that... fucking get on stage during the sound check and sing with the band...

But yeah, I think we would all love some more Fragile-heavy setlists, especially songs they haven't done before or are rare/haven't been played since Fragility.

Rubeninphoenix
03-23-2017, 09:40 PM
with Trents recent love letters to The Fragile, would be killer to hear songs like "We're In This Together' and 'Into The Void' and 'Great Below" etc.....also to see a festival crowds confused reaction to these songs would be worth it as wellIf I could hear "The Great Below" live in person, I would DIE.

Ribbitman
03-23-2017, 10:42 PM
At this point, unfortunately, it's doubtful we will get WITT live again. Trent's voice just can't handle the chorus anymore. I'll never forget reading about the one soundcheck where people wanted him to play it and he mentioned that he can't sing it anymore but if someone wanted to come up and sing it they would play it. That lucky sob that got to do that... fucking get on stage during the sound check and sing with the band...

But yeah, I think we would all love some more Fragile-heavy setlists, especially songs they haven't done before or are rare/haven't been played since Fragility.
is there a video of the guy singing WITT?

sick among the pure
03-24-2017, 12:19 AM
is there a video of the guy singing WITT?

There might be, it was a while ago (I think it was the Wave Goodbye Australia, or maybe NIN|JA?) that would be a good question for ninlive perhaps.

03-24-2017, 01:50 PM

I agree he can't hit those high notes anymore but he can try to sing in a lower register...similar to what he did with 'The Becoming' in 09

sick among the pure
03-24-2017, 04:38 PM
I agree, and with Robin still there, he could always cover the higher parts of songs (like Happiness in Slavery's "SLAVE SCREAMS"). I would really love to see Trent utilize Robin's very specific voice and range for certain songs.

witte
03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
There might be, it was a while ago (I think it was the Wave Goodbye Australia, or maybe NIN|JA?) that would be a good question for @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) perhaps.
2007 was a good year. they played it live several times during the eu tour. i was witness when they played it april 2007 in frankfurt. you can easy find it all @ yt.

ninlive
03-25-2017, 07:48 AM
There might be, it was a while ago (I think it was the Wave Goodbye Australia, or maybe NIN|JA?) that would be a good question for @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) perhaps.

To my knowledge, I don't remember seeing anything.

Ribbitman
03-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Branches/Bones better open the fucking festivals

bobbie solo
03-26-2017, 03:41 AM
Agreed. I think opening the shows with the full EP straight through works much better than interspersing the songs throughout, or playing the EP straight through later on. And it will piss off casual/non-fans, which will be great.

astfgyl
03-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Here is The slip instru, source unknwown, made with multitracks:
http://jheberg.net/captcha/the-slip-instrumental/

Now listen everyone, this is my own remix.nin.com + Other nin net releases backup (strangely it's small) .
http://jheberg.net/captcha/nin-net-releases/

This one include from remix.nin.com :
Fixed (not sure why)
Y0 Instrumental
TDS Instrumental
rare and unreleased official playlist (2007) (14 tracks)
Dead Souls (Instrumental)
Deep (Instrumental)
The Perfect Drug (Instrumental)
Also include from free old nin.com :
Nine Inch Nails - La Mer (Version)
Nine Inch Nails - No, You Don't (Version)
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Deconstructed)
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version A)
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version B)

Thanks a lot for this. I had been asking in one of the other threads with no luck, and I pretty much facepalmed myself when I finally looked in here. Now to make my Ultimate Things Falling Apart Mix. I have just done a complete The Fragile (Vinyl/cd/tape combo) (Nobody ever thought of that before!), and I got really into the idea of a double disc companion for it. So thanks again.

Kulerage
03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Agreed. I think opening the shows with the full EP straight through works much better than interspersing the songs throughout, or playing the EP straight through later on. And it will piss off casual/non-fans, which will be great.
Except Burning Bright NEEDS to close the show.

Detunez
03-27-2017, 03:23 PM
How does it feel ?

patj825
03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
How does it feel ?

Suck. Suck. Suck.

nooneimportant
03-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Branches/Bones better open the fucking festivals

Every first track on a NIN album is used as an opener so there's a very good chance.

BRoswell
03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Every first track on a NIN album is used as an opener so there's a very good chance.

Not quite. All The Love In The World and 1 Ghosts I have not been used as opening tracks.

FULLMETAL
03-27-2017, 08:01 PM
I think it would be sweet to hear "In Motion" as the opening before going into "Branches/Bones," but I'm an old fart.

nooneimportant
03-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Not quite. All The Love In The World and 1 Ghosts I have not been used as opening tracks.

If the 2005 Rehearsal track list is to be believed, they planned to use ATLITW as a set opener.

Bachy
03-29-2017, 01:15 AM
Just Like You Imagined is fucking beautiful

tony.parente
03-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Ghosts is fucking dope as hell to listen to while routing truck deliveries at work.

Tommy_Macbeth
03-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Listened to PHM, Broken, TDS, TF, Still, WT, YZ, TS, HM, and NTAE while on a 12? hour car ride. Gained a large amount of appreciation for some Fragile tracks I hadn't really given attention to in the past. We're In This Together is my favorite song. Ever. It got confirmed on the ride. TDS isn't nearly as effective when played in the car, but Year Zero goes well with stormy weather. With Teeth is the most fun probably, along with PHM and Broken to listen in the car. Hesitation Marks sounds much better than it has in the past. The Slip seems sooo short for some reason. NTAE is like TDS in that it can't be listened to in a car and have the same effect.

xolotl
03-31-2017, 08:49 AM
NTAE is like TDS in that it can't be listened to in a car and have the same effect.

NTAE tends to really overwhelm my car's speakers - I have to adjust my EQ settings a bit to get it reasonable, but for the most part I just wait until I can get some headphones on to listen to it.

Detunez
03-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Breaking my head about fist fucking being mentioned in a song.

sheepdean
03-31-2017, 04:36 PM
I was on holiday for 3 weeks and wasn't online much, did I miss anything aside from Atticus doing Death Note

blassster
03-31-2017, 06:35 PM
I was on holiday for 3 weeks and wasn't online much, did I miss anything aside from Atticus doing Death Note
Nothing major I don't think, so have some Daddicus side-booty https://www.dmpgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/atticus-B-603x495.jpg

wizfan
04-01-2017, 03:23 AM
Sudden realization... the arpeggiated synth that runs through and ends Alessandro's remix of The Great Destroyer is almost the same as the one that kicks off his Sonoio song Enough; it's even in the same key and has a similar tempo. A smooooooth transition can be made between the two.