PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

nooneimportant
07-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I think I know what that picture was...

YOU LEAKED THE NEW NIN ALBUM COVER

sick among the pure
07-20-2016, 11:47 PM
If the picture was what I think it was, it's been discussed time and again that it's not to be posted.
MOVING ON.

Every time I go to [multi-billion dollar hell hole chain store] I look up at the Reznor heaters they have. Usually I don't even think about it, I just find myself doing it. I think I'm in some massive NIN withdrawal...

BenAkenobi
07-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Welly-well

https://hafuboti.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/that-escalated-quickly.jpg?w=700&h=367

Disassociative
07-21-2016, 05:06 AM
So what is up with the awful phasing/artifacts on the And All That Could Have Been cd? It's been bugging me for years and every time I listen to it as soon as I notice it again it starts to bug me.

blassster
07-21-2016, 07:33 AM
So what is up with the awful phasing/artifacts on the And All That Could Have Been cd? It's been bugging me for years and every time I listen to it as soon as I notice it again it starts to bug me.
I usually listen to the dvd's stereo mix instead. More tracks anyway ;)

GibbonBlack
07-21-2016, 07:55 AM

I've heard this loads and I'm yet to hear any myself. Hopefully I never notice it

Disassociative
07-21-2016, 08:47 AM
I've heard this loads and I'm yet to hear any myself. Hopefully I never notice it

I won't point it out then. Just don't listen to the DVD and then the CD back to back. Like ever.

eversonpoe
07-21-2016, 08:54 AM

i talked about that recently, but i can't remember what thread.

it has always sounded to me like they focused on the mix for the DVDs and then improperly dithered it from 48kHz 24-bit down to 44.1kHz 16-bit, which could cause that kind of artifacting. it's terribly annoying and makes an otherwise great live album almost impossible to enjoy.

Disassociative
07-21-2016, 09:02 AM
i talked about that recently, but i can't remember what thread.

it has always sounded to me like they focused on the mix for the DVDs and then improperly dithered it from 48kHz 24-bit down to 44.1kHz 16-bit, which could cause that kind of artifacting. it's terribly annoying and makes an otherwise great live album almost impossible to enjoy.

It seems to get more prominent the further into the album you are too. I didn't get the DVD until like 3 or 4 years after I got the CD so I guess I just didn't really notice the dithering or whatever it is before that. A week or two after watching that I was listening to AATCHB in the car and started hearing it. At first I thought it might have been just that awful sound lossy audio files can make at low bitrates so I ripped the disc again. Still sounded off. Listened to the CD directly, still present so I just gave up on it. I still listen to it a lot, but it just bugs me that someone listened to the final product or a test pressing and said 'yeah this is fine'.

opal
07-22-2016, 01:14 AM
::saves image quickly before it's taken down b/c wtf I can't believe that is out there/posted on here::

Any clues to what some of us have been missing? Or PM pleaze?

bobbie solo
07-22-2016, 02:36 AM
super inappropriate, seemingly personal photo of Trent in a hotel room.

Halo Infinity
07-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Happy 8th birthday to The Slip. *At least as far as the actual CD/DVD package goes.* :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmXLlytvIg

tony.parente
07-22-2016, 06:14 PM
There's a nine inch nails tribute band playing tonight in stl called somewhat damaged, I'm excited to see what they put together for a set.

nooneimportant
07-22-2016, 08:37 PM
I had a thought that whatever was left of Bleedthrough became Year Zero. Think about it.

tony.parente
07-23-2016, 09:23 AM
There's a nine inch nails tribute band playing tonight in stl called somewhat damaged, I'm excited to see what they put together for a set.

So they were alright, my only gripe was that the singer was trying to imitate how Trent acted during the downward spiral era (ie high out of his mind) when he clearly wasn't. The setlist wasn't bad, it was cool seeing we're in this together and no you don't because I know Trent will never ever play those songs ever again. I'm uploading a video now.

set:

Pinion
Terrible Lie
Gave Up
March of the Pigs
Closer
Wish
No You Don't
We're in this Together
Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Hurt

billpulsipher
07-23-2016, 03:19 PM
So they were alright, my only gripe was that the singer was trying to imitate how Trent acted during the downward spiral era (ie high out of his mind) when he clearly wasn't. The setlist wasn't bad, it was cool seeing we're in this together and no you don't because I know Trent will never ever play those songs ever again. I'm uploading a video now.

set:

Pinion
Terrible Lie
Gave Up
March of the Pigs
Closer
Wish
No You Don't
We're in this Together
Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Hurt

god even a lame tribute band ends the show with the same old boring trio of THTF, HLAH and Hurt

tony.parente
07-23-2016, 03:24 PM
god even a lame tribute band ends the show with the same old boring trio of THTF, HLAH and Hurt

I SAID THE SAME THING!! If I had known they were pulling that shit I'd have left during hand that feeds lol

Microwave Jellyfish
07-23-2016, 08:54 PM
No MOTP/Piggy combo though, they still haven't mastered this.

nooneimportant
07-23-2016, 08:58 PM
In my opinion I think HLAH should be played at most NIN shows along with Hurt. Those two songs are essential to the NIN experience. I mean it's fine to change it up every once in awhile but 9 times out of 10, I would go with the classic end songs.

billpulsipher
07-23-2016, 10:21 PM
I dont mind HLAH but THTF should never be played again and Hurt should be retired. Its bordering on self parody to still be playing that song. He has so many better ballads to choose from (I will take SICNH any day of the week over Hurt)

Ryan
07-23-2016, 11:58 PM
I dont mind HLAH but THTF should never be played again and Hurt should be retired. Its bordering on self parody to still be playing that song. He has so many better ballads to choose from (I will take SICNH any day of the week over Hurt)

Yeah but Johnny Cash didn't cover it.

nooneimportant
07-24-2016, 12:52 AM
Yeah but Johnny Cash didn't cover it.

I'm gonna get some shit for this probably, but I feel like Hurt became legend status once Cash covered it. Johnny fuckin' Cash covered Nine Inch Nails. That's an amazing endorsement.

billpulsipher
07-24-2016, 01:01 PM
I'm gonna get some shit for this probably, but I feel like Hurt became legend status once Cash covered it. Johnny fuckin' Cash covered Nine Inch Nails. That's an amazing endorsement.

if Johnny requested to cover it then yeah...but i am sure he had no clue who the hell TR even was and was just doing what rick rubin told him to do

sheepdean
07-24-2016, 04:00 PM
It went from being a non-single (radio release only, no proper video) to a billboard charter, of course it gained a lot from that

Ryan
07-24-2016, 04:46 PM
if Johnny requested to cover it then yeah...but i am sure he had no clue who the hell TR even was and was just doing what rick rubin told him to do

In that case, Danzig ought to be closing every show with Thirteen - the song he wrote for Johnny Cash (and who then recorded it), and then covered it himself on Danzig 6.

botley
07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
What the fuck are you all talking about? That's the best TR song, period. Objectively. I would ask for my money back if NIN didn't play it and if TR did some kind of solo show you'd better fucking believe he'd close with it.

implanted_microchip
07-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Whether people like it or not, Hurt is definitely one of NIN's most well-known songs and pretty much any show it's played at has the entire venue singing along to it. It's extremely well-loved by a ton of people, whether they're even familiar with the band much at all or not. It's more worthy of being a staple than Piggy is and everyone's fine with that, it seems. Now it'd be great if they changed up the placement of it at shows like they used to again, but, hey, it seems to have worked for the audience whenever I've seen them, and it seems to work for the audience of any video I've ever seen.

Frozen Beach
07-24-2016, 08:22 PM
I want a David Bowie cover for next tour that isn't I'm Afraid Of Americans.

implanted_microchip
07-24-2016, 09:13 PM
I want a David Bowie cover for next tour that isn't I'm Afraid Of Americans.
They really could do amazing covers of Subterraneans, Look Back In Anger or Heroes.

emptydesk
07-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Repetition

Krazy
07-24-2016, 11:23 PM
Not sure if I'm reading some people's posts wrong??? Hurt got radio play back in 94/95, along with MTV play in 1995 for that live vid. Peoples opinions may vary on this board but it's a great song/live vid and should always be a staple. People love that tune live, one of the better crowd pleasers, and always see people shed a tear during a show when Hurt comes on.

If repetion is an issue I'd suggest to never go to a NIN show again. Unless TR announces something like WG again- which would include Hurt anyways.

nooneimportant
07-25-2016, 12:04 AM
They really could do amazing covers of Subterraneans, Look Back In Anger or Heroes.

Call up Pino Palladino and cover Fashion...

botley
07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
They really could do amazing covers of Subterraneans
Yassss... bring back the Dissonance arrangement with TR on sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnr_RAexqxg

fillow
07-25-2016, 09:57 AM
I look at the tracklistings of TR's favorite records (Low and Scary Monsters) and I don't see too many songs that would work for NIN. Aside from Subterraneans and Scary Monsters, I guess NIN could cover Breaking Glass, Always Crashing... or other Low/Heroes instrumentals.

GibbonBlack
07-25-2016, 10:21 AM
I think he could do a pretty decent cover of Crystal Japan

_T_B_W_
07-25-2016, 01:19 PM
I can see him covering It's No Game Part 2

elevenism
07-25-2016, 03:07 PM
As i get older (i'm 36) and reflect on the music that has been the soundtrack to my life, i continuously take stock of it in my head and think of how much it affected me, how powerful it was/is.

And just thinking about that, The Great Below just might be the most moving thing i've ever heard

Also, everyone knows that Johnny Cash wrote hurt and The Nine Inch Nails covered it.

EndlessLoveless
07-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Scream like a baby. Its no game PART 1. Up the hill backwards.

billpulsipher
07-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Scary Monsters IS a NIN song written and recorded a decade before NIN even existed....TR can nail that one live, even better than the 95 version when he just did mostly backing vox

somewhat_
07-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Just about seven months of the year have passed. Best guesses for when new nin comes out? My guess is either a surprise release in September or an announcement in September for a November release.

sick among the pure
07-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Just about seven months of the year have passed. Best guesses for when new nin comes out? My guess is either a surprise release in September or an announcement in September for a November release.

I always assumed fall release. The way he mentioned the new NIN at the beginning of the year meant it wasn't going to be too early on (he wouldn't have bothered announcing new NIN this year, he would have said "hey, I made this new album, check it out.") and summer doesn't feel like a big album release time. Most likely he was working on the album, had it fleshed out enough to be comfortable saying it's coming, giving himself the entire year to actually release it.
This is based off my 0% actual evidence, btw.

tony.parente
07-26-2016, 07:16 AM
No new nin this year, this is tension dvd part 2.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's a video of that nin tribute band I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6yJe_C9nd0

GibbonBlack
07-26-2016, 08:18 AM
The band is really good......not the singer though

tony.parente
07-26-2016, 08:35 AM
The band is really good......not the singer though
Dude the band was phenomenal. When he wasn't pretending to be high out of his mind he was really good, during no you don't and WITT he was incredible. This was apparently their first show, so i'm eager to see how they change.

ultimatebdp
07-26-2016, 09:41 AM
So what do you think the chances are that he has a finished NIN album AND a finished HTDA follow-up that he's going to put out around the same time...and then a possible short NIN/HTDA tour in 2017?

Also, can we find out who won the guitar auction and hand them a list of questions for when they pick it up from TR???

bobbie solo
07-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Hopefully none. HDTA should never come back. Ended up being too similar to the loopy NIN we've come to know for the past decade and was just a pretty distraction to me, at best. Loses major rock star points (if you care about that sort of thing) for starting a band with his wife as well.

sweeterthan
07-26-2016, 10:18 AM
What? htda is awesome. Pure performance art. I hope they make 12 more records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SchwarzerAbt
07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Loses major rock star points (if you care about that sort of thing) for starting a band with his wife as well.

So Marilyn Manson is collecting way more Rockstar points than TR at the moment. But that's not the stuff we want to see from NIN, is it?

I agree: htda is awesome! And I also hope there will be more records.

tony.parente
07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Pure performance fart.
Fixed it for ya

elevenism
07-26-2016, 04:46 PM
So what do you think the chances are that he has a finished NIN album AND a finished HTDA follow-up that he's going to put out around the same time...and then a possible short NIN/HTDA tour in 2017?

Also, can we find out who won the guitar auction and hand them a list of questions for when they pick it up from TR???
I'm afraid of the future of HTDA because all the merch is on fucking clearance. i don't take this as a good sign.
also, whatup Tex?

and jesus, @bobbie solo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) ,paul "damn near invented being a rockstar" Mccartney started a band with the wife.

Also, where do i collect rock star points?
Why haven't i been told about this? is there a way to check how many you have? :p

sweeterthan
07-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Fixed it for ya

The one and only time I wish I could face palm here.

Good one.

ultimatebdp
07-27-2016, 10:26 AM
Regardless of what anyone thinks of HTDA, he's going to keep doing it because it makes the wife happy!! Besides, I really liked the first EP. Sure, it sounds like NIN with female vocals, but I'm okay with that and Fur-Lined is still a really cool song. Welcome Oblivion (like most of HM) is okay if you have headphones on and can hear all the little nuances/details, but it sucks if you're driving with the windows down and just want to jam...

At this point, I don't care what he wants to put out...whether it be NIN, HTDA, soundtracks, clap and stomp with tambourine, whatever!! I need something new to digest! Just put out, TR!!

HurtinMinorKey
07-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Regardless of what anyone thinks of HTDA, he's going to keep doing it because it makes the wife happy!!

I think one major impediment here is that TR knows that he can put out the exact same record as NIN (as opposed to HTDA) and get increased sales. At this point, I'd much rather hear Mariqueen's voice on any record that TR puts out (NIN, HTDA, or otherwise), so I hope he finds a way to keep using her in future projects.

EndlessLoveless
07-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I really like HTDA but didnt like how they kind of pushed the idea that the second release sounded nothing like nin. Like, "we realize the first album did but were moving away from that with our second release because we are using weird instruments on certain songs". Just because they are plucking obscure stringed instruments doesnt make it less nin, it makes it sound very fragile-esque if anything. Ill be honest, i want to sound nin so its cool but lets call a spade a spade, too late all gone is pretty much a nin song along with alot of that album.

But i am down for more HTDA. I'd prefer nin but i will take whatever. Im a little burnt out on the score work, its all sort of sounding the same to me. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 tracks out of all of them that stick out to me.

billpulsipher
07-27-2016, 04:21 PM
even though post sobriety Trents music has gone downhill gradually, every now and then i get reminded at how its for the better that Trent is sober these days. would be a parody of himself if he was falling off stages coked out of his mind at age 50,....like ol brian warner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d--5oXNSg8&app=desktop

Ryan
07-27-2016, 05:52 PM
even though post sobriety Trents music has gone downhill gradually, every now and then i get reminded at how its for the better that Trent is sober these days. would be a parody of himself if he was falling off stages coked out of his mind at age 50,....like ol brian warner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d--5oXNSg8&app=desktop

I was thinking the same thing reading the Manson thread.

Deepvoid
07-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Capital G just came up on my internet radio at work. It reminded me of how much I love Year Zero. I saw Bill's post about Trent's music dropping in quality since the day he became clean.
While I agree that With Teeth feels safe and not really pushing any boundaries, the same cannot be said for YZ.

What a great album it is. Every time I listen to this record, I immediately get immersed in this post-apocalyptic world. All of the album transcends this vibe, which makes it so enjoyable to listen to.
It's safe to say that after all these years, YZ is now ranked #3 on my favorite NIN albums behind TDS and TF.

botley
07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
NIN has had remarkably consistent strength in songwriting apart from a couple of weaker tunes on each album. Year Zero is certainly adventurous from a production standpoint, but I don't find any of its lyrics are as concise or emotionally powerful as the strongest parts of With Teeth. We're almost living in the world it predicted, yet I still have a hard time believing some of the words TR sings on YZ because it is so outside of his usual voice. WT was also a big boundary-pusher for NIN, though. Back when it came out, there were people on this very forum talking about how left-field it was for lyrics and hooks like that to be on a NIN record. I think it stands up well against all the other NIN records, and I don't see any drop in quality.

theruiner
07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Back when it came out, there were people on this very forum talking about how left-field it was for lyrics and hooks like that to be on a NIN record. I think it stands up well against all the other NIN records, and I don't see any drop in quality.
Wholeheartedly agree.

If I had to rank my favorite NIN albums, WT would fall somewhere toward the middle. I still really love that record.

I can't say the same for YZ or TS. He lost me with those. With YZ I can really see the quality of the music but I just never connected with it at all, even though, like botley said, it was (and is) incredibly relevant. And I totally appreciate that but, frankly, I just really can't get into it.

As far as quality goes, I think HM is a damn good album. Is it as good as TDS or TF? No, but I didn't expect it to be. I don't look at new albums from my favorite artists from the perspective of, oh, I hope this is the best thing they've ever done, this better be mind blowing. I want it to not suck. I want it to be good. If it's great, even better. If it's amazing, that's awesome. But a solid, enjoyable album? I'm perfectly happy with that.

And speaking of WT, I stand by my opinion that "Right Where It Belongs" is one of the best songs Trent has ever written. It's definitely on my list of top ten favorite NIN songs.

BenAkenobi
07-29-2016, 12:47 PM

As far as quality goes, I think HM is a damn good album. Is it as good as TDS or TF? No, but I didn't expect it to be...

Sure, the songs aren't bad, but i think a lot lately whether it'd help if Trent didn't try to pair his synthetic music with Mills' organic artwork. A more abstract and minimalist design, something inspired by PHM could work wonders, but we'll never know...

nooneimportant
07-30-2016, 11:44 PM
It's surprising to me how Where Is Everybody? hasn't been performed live at all. It would fit right in with the Year Zero portion of the set alongside Me, I'm Not and The Warning. I know that song has a very strange chorus but the rest of the song is sick.

Disassociative
07-31-2016, 05:58 AM
It's surprising to me how Where Is Everybody? hasn't been performed live at all. It would fit right in with the Year Zero portion of the set alongside Me, I'm Not and The Warning. I know that song has a very strange chorus but the rest of the song is sick.

You're totally right. I really wish they had at least tried it for a show or two and gauged the reaction. Just guess there was something about it in rehearsals that convinced them it didn't work live (assuming they even rehearsed it)?

Ryan
07-31-2016, 08:16 AM
You're totally right. I really wish they had at least tried it for a show or two and gauged the reaction. Just guess there was something about it in rehearsals that convinced them it didn't work live (assuming they even rehearsed it)?

Charlie Clouser posted somewhere about rehearsing it and him getting the "whaaaoooooo" part just right, so he was to sing that part live. Can someone link to this?

neorev
07-31-2016, 10:33 AM
TDS, Broken, and WT would definitely be my top 3

Atu
07-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Charlie Clouser posted somewhere about rehearsing it and him getting the "whaaaoooooo" part just right, so he was to sing that part live. Can someone link to this?

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2242-Where-is-Everybody-live-version

Halo Infinity
07-31-2016, 01:11 PM
While Nine Inch Nails album covers often lead me to think about food and beverages on my own before, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip now sometimes keep reminding me of coffee, chocolate and almonds in particular, all thanks to these posts by Meathead and Joe D. on YouTube, as well as Trent Reznor himself mentioning having coffee in reference to his gratitude, contentment and relief over the success of The Slip.

I am definitely still much more of a Dunkin' Donuts person though, and have noticed that I still love relaxing to Ghosts I-IV while drinking iced coffee or regular coffee. I now think of them as great coffee albums. On the other hand, I often loved sipping coffee while listening to Nine Inch Nails way before Ghosts I-IV even came out, but I guess it adds more to the nice feel I get over such a random association. The type of artwork on Ghosts I-IV and The Slip would be pretty neat for coffee tables and mugs/cups in my opinion as well.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp080320.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12Z7qjaDOU

nooneimportant
07-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Meathead was great.

sweeterthan
07-31-2016, 08:58 PM
Reading that brought back all the feels. RIP meathead.

Space Suicide
07-31-2016, 10:25 PM
So uh, when is the next time we'll get another remix album?

billpulsipher
07-31-2016, 10:32 PM
if you want a good laugh check richard patricks facebook..man is he deranged with his liberal pro hilary stuff. his constant political posts and tirades all day every day. all this hilary is the greatest woman alive, obama is the second coming of christ and the greatest president ever etc. tons of people cursing him out and calling him an asshole and now he has taken the 2009 trent approach and he is arguing with his own fans all over fb..its good for a laugh..he truly is deranged. dude must have lost a ton of fans

Mutilated
08-01-2016, 05:26 AM
if you want a good laugh check richard patricks facebook..man is he deranged with his liberal pro hilary stuff. his constant political posts and tirades all day every day. all this hilary is the greatest woman alive, obama is the second coming of christ and the greatest president ever etc. tons of people cursing him out and calling him an asshole and now he has taken the 2009 trent approach and he is arguing with his own fans all over fb..its good for a laugh..he truly is deranged. dude must have lost a ton of fans

He is deranged, he thinks Crazy Eyes is an industrial record.

SarahConnor
08-01-2016, 12:01 PM
In '94, who could've predicted that 'A Warm Place' would be the signpost for the future of Reznor's sound? The world took 'Closer' and ran with it, Reznor took an electric piano, Satie sheet music and a weight bench, and hid.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Shuffle win of the day: Groove Remote (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3T2mrJdIc) from the Hey Arnold! soundtrack, followed by Morris/Gilbert's Zero Sum (Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D). For about eight perfect minutes the world was a nice place.

TheyCallMeDrug
08-02-2016, 01:51 AM
http://liveforlivemusic.com/image.php?f=/NINTWEET.png

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

he waiting for oscar season? wtf

nooneimportant
08-02-2016, 03:07 AM
I'm playing the new Doom game on Xbox One and one of the levels was "Know Your Enemy" to which I laughed at and said "That might as well be a RATM reference cause this is Doom after all" so imagine my surprise when I got to two levels later and I see one titled "Beginning of the End." I know it's probably not a direct reference but the whole Quake/Trent/Doom connection got me thinking

Ryan
08-02-2016, 04:42 AM
I keep trying to logically picture what's been happening behind the scenes NIN-wise, and given the workaholic that Trent is, I can't believe that it's all just been... nothing.

I have a strong feeling that "new NIN plus some other things, too" in 2016 meant both new NN material will be announced, and at the same time the Tension Blu-ray plus The Fragile DE will be announced and released all at the same time. And I feel like we're right on the precipice and it's just a matter of Trent to hit the big red button.

nooneimportant
08-02-2016, 05:52 AM
I keep trying to logically picture what's been happening behind the scenes NIN-wise, and given the workaholic that Trent is, I can't believe that it's all just been... nothing.

I have a strong feeling that "new NIN plus some other things, too" in 2016 meant both new NN material will be announced, and at the same time the Tension Blu-ray plus The Fragile DE will be announced and released all at the same time. And I feel like we're right on the precipice and it's just a matter of Trent to hit the big red button.

I have no doubts that Trent has been working his ass off, it's just up to him to decide when it's ready. When you think about it that way, it's exciting because you don't know when it'll be announced. Could be tomorrow, could be in 5 minutes, could be next week, oh god I DON'T KNOW WHEN IT'S HAPPENING SOMEONE STOP Ṱ͟H̫̦̦̻͖̳ͅE͉ ͍̩͡P̧̫̪̙̫̺̩A̷̹͎̯̤̝̱I͎͚̱̪͢N̼ ̙̩Ḥ̼̣Ę̰̲͚L̵͔̼̺͔̫̬P̵̞̫͓̖̻̻͎ ̺͈M̛̜̙̬̟ͅE͓͖̲͞ ̲̣̙͖Í̘̱̘ ̶̲̯̬̤͎̰A̘̗͍̯M̀ ̭I͏̦̪̝̤͇ͅN̝͕̪̭̕ H͞E͔͉̫̪̘̺L̹̺͚͓̪ͅL S̮̩̣E͜J̲͙E̶̝͓S͚̱̫͎̰I͇̫̹̫̳ͅS̶͚̮̻E̦J͓̗͚̙̟̱I̠̲͔̩̙E̩̙͕ ̦S̮G̳̙͈͓̘̬ͅE͍͈͞S̛̜̼̬G̫͢F͈̪̰k͎͎̩̝̤f͡f҉l̟̻̻̹̜̳̟f̮͕͈̘ ͉͙d҉̳ ͏̪̟a̵̶̧̟̫̘̰̦̥̩̬̞̱̥a̛͝͏̻̯ͅ

Ryan
08-02-2016, 05:54 AM
I have no doubts that Trent has been working his ass off, it's just up to him to decide when it's ready. When you think about it that way, it's exciting because you don't know when it'll be announced. Could be tomorrow, could be in 5 minutes, could be next week, oh god I DON'T KNOW WHEN IT'S HAPPENING SOMEONE STOP Ṱ͟H̫̦̦̻͖̳ͅE͉ ͍̩͡P̧̫̪̙̫̺̩A̷̹͎̯̤̝̱I͎͚̱̪͢N̼ ̙̩Ḥ̼̣Ę̰̲͚L̵͔̼̺͔̫̬P̵̞̫͓̖̻̻͎ ̺͈M̛̜̙̬̟ͅE͓͖̲͞ ̲̣̙͖Í̘̱̘ ̶̲̯̬̤͎̰A̘̗͍̯M̀ ̭I͏̦̪̝̤͇ͅN̝͕̪̭̕ H͞E͔͉̫̪̘̺L̹̺͚͓̪ͅL S̮̩̣E͜J̲͙E̶̝͓S͚̱̫͎̰I͇̫̹̫̳ͅS̶͚̮̻E̦J͓̗͚̙̟̱I̠̲͔̩̙E̩̙͕ ̦S̮G̳̙͈͓̘̬ͅE͍͈͞S̛̜̼̬G̫͢F͈̪̰k͎͎̩̝̤f͡f҉l̟̻̻̹̜̳̟f̮͕͈̘ ͉͙d҉̳ ͏̪̟

Best post ever, almost like The Great Destroyer.

ChipRock
08-02-2016, 07:17 AM
we're right on the precipice

I respect your optimism. *hits refresh on Nine Inch Nails Facebook page* Any... second... now...

Bachy
08-02-2016, 02:53 PM
I think Adrian Belew is overdue for another interview.

nooneimportant
08-02-2016, 11:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6nJ3uz-m68

This performance of The Becoming is incredible. Trent just brings so much energy and just about dies at the ending breakdown. Classic Trent.

Ryan
08-03-2016, 08:38 AM

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4190-Nine-Inch-Nails-quot-DIVE-AND-SLAM-quot-single-release-SEPTEMBER-2016

yet again, I'm psychic.

sweeterthan
08-03-2016, 08:55 AM
It had to be soon no matter what. It's August ffs.

nooneimportant
08-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Every time I hear guitar in a NIN song, I imagine Robin Finck is playing. I realized this when I was listening to My Violent Heart and heard the guitar, and it honestly sounded like what Robin would do.

Mutilated
08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Oh well...

Dryalex12
08-05-2016, 07:16 PM
http://orig05.deviantart.net/c369/f/2016/218/5/8/screenshot_10_by_dryalex12-dacvvs5.png

Ryan
08-05-2016, 09:24 PM
http://orig05.deviantart.net/c369/f/2016/218/5/8/screenshot_10_by_dryalex12-dacvvs5.png

lmao

Our overlord.

Volband
08-06-2016, 02:30 PM
You were right guys, the new NIN is already here! Never should've doubted Mr. Rezzo. I like the cover (oh, yes, I'm talking about the Kite Base cover, in case you missed the joke!), especially because it did not try to "outdramatize" the original. I like covers like these, which brings new color to the original one. The NIN army gave their respective dislikes though - must be the backup singers, haha :D :D

blassster
08-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Dryalex12:

lmao

Our overlord.
Good ol' Pete Schwetty.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Beck's "The Information" is an album full of Satellites. Retroactively, of course, but the soundscape is very-very HM-esque sometimes. I wonder if TR heard it, either when it was released or while working on his album.

WorzelG
08-11-2016, 12:12 AM
David Fincher in talks to direct a sequel to World War Z ? Trent and Atticus scoring a zombie film seems like some perfect marriage!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/world-war-z-sequel-brad-918839

Ryan
08-12-2016, 07:23 PM
I have a rather large analogue alarm clock sitting next to me going tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick and the first thought that came to mind was "this is what NIN would be if it were a single audible entity".

Bachy
08-13-2016, 07:54 PM
If Trent ever does tour again, I would kill to see him perform "Driver Down."

Halo Infinity
08-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Some parts of the Down In It video remind me of Flushing, Queens and the two apartments I lived in over there during the 1990s. It is also one of the reasons why Down In It is one of my favorite songs to listen to whenever I visit that location, especially when walking around Main Street.

With that being said, this particular remix of All The Love In The World (The Heaven & Earth Division Remix) has been tugging my heartstrings as of late, especially when I ponder about Trent Reznor's journey from 1994-2005. While I don't mean to dismiss the significance of the stories behind Pretty Hate Machine and Broken and everything else after With Teeth, I still find myself fascinated with his experiences from The Downward Spiral to With Teeth. And well, I just love the sound of this remix too, especially when considering how All The Love In The World is easily one of my most favorite songs on With Teeth and all. I've often seen it as his search for love and purpose in this life, while questioning why he's here, his place/purpose on Earth and what more he want to do and can offer for himself and others, which is yet again something I was also always able to relate to regarding Nine Inch Nails in general.

I sometimes forget that, even though it's self-evident in his lyrics, since he even questioned his worth back when The Downward Spiral was brand new and even after all the success he had after Woodstock 1994 along with the rest of 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfxfzm0k-4

Bachy
08-14-2016, 04:19 PM
That moment in "Heresy" where Trent screams "His perfect kingdom of killing suffering and pain"

https://media4.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpFkKiKJag44UsU/giphy.gif

SarahConnor
08-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Are there any examples of MaxMSP use in the NIN catalog?

Tony
08-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm calling it - the "Dive and Slam" rumors are true. Ignore absolutely everything we've seen and only look at this (https://mobile.ascap.com/aceclient/AceWeb/#ace/writer/129644264/).

somewhat_
08-16-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm calling it - the "Dive and Slam" rumors are true. Ignore absolutely everything we've seen and only look at this (https://mobile.ascap.com/aceclient/AceWeb/#ace/writer/129644264/).

Maybe the title is just a placeholder? Certainly wouldn't surprise me if a new single is out in mid September.

implanted_microchip
08-16-2016, 02:54 PM
I can't wait for new material just so all the endless and droning speculation comes to an end for like five minutes before everybody starts to somehow complain, and then people start to complain about the people complaining.

nooneimportant
08-17-2016, 12:34 AM
I can't stop listening to Closer lately. I regret absolutely nothing because I remove the aspect of it being popular from my mind and judge it on it's own as a song. That bass some good shit. I guess I just have a different experience with the song because I've never heard it constantly since becoming a fan through Year Zero's ARG. The only NIN songs I've come across back in the day were March of the Pigs and Into The Void, but this was mostly because I listened to only Hip-Hop for a long time and I didn't expose myself to other genres when I was younger.

eversonpoe
08-17-2016, 07:40 AM
I can't stop listening to Closer lately. I regret absolutely nothing because I remove the aspect of it being popular from my mind and judge it on it's own as a song. That bass some good shit. I guess I just have a different experience with the song because I've never heard it constantly since becoming a fan through Year Zero's ARG. The only NIN songs I've come across back in the day were March of the Pigs and Into The Void, but this was mostly because I listened to only Hip-Hop for a long time and I didn't expose myself to other genres when I was younger.

i have a NIN "station" on my amazon music app and it plays closer pretty much every time i put it on for long enough. i NEVER get sick of that song. kleiner352 and i have both sung its praises quite a few times, but there is so much going on in there sonically that it always amazes me.

implanted_microchip
08-17-2016, 09:24 AM
i have a NIN "station" on my amazon music app and it plays closer pretty much every time i put it on for long enough. i NEVER get sick of that song. @kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) and i have both sung its praises quite a few times, but there is so much going on in there sonically that it always amazes me.

God that whole instrumental bridge and outro is like everything brilliant about NIN in that time period distilled and captured into 3 and a half minutes or so, all the layers building and exploding like a Depeche Mode song, the grimy, dirty sound like old machines in an abandoned factory getting turned on for the first time in years, the distorted, disembodied final lyrics, that TDS motif -- it's just perfect.

I know some people genuinely get burnt out on "the hits" and I know how irritating it can be trying to talk about a band you love and people only mentioning them, but goddamn, Closer is one of those instances like Radiohead's Karma Police were it's a fully-deserved hit because it's just that good. Lightning in a bottle material.

WorzelG
08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Found this interesting interview someone put on Twitter from 2000 which is mostly about Quake and gaming. I never knew Trent and Twiggy were recording all the 'ugh' noises for Quake while recording Antichrist Superstar
http://paulsemel.com/vintage-interview-nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-2000/

paul_guyet
08-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Soooo...a hard drive I had kind of...melted? I was able to recover, literally, everything except for the three tiny pre-release clips of TWOIT titled "one", "two" and "three". Would anyone here happen to have these laying around and be willing to share? Much appreciated.

nooneimportant
08-17-2016, 10:51 PM
God that whole instrumental bridge and outro is like everything brilliant about NIN in that time period distilled and captured into 3 and a half minutes or so, all the layers building and exploding like a Depeche Mode song, the grimy, dirty sound like old machines in an abandoned factory getting turned on for the first time in years, the distorted, disembodied final lyrics, that TDS motif -- it's just perfect.

When I do hear the album version on shuffle it's like "Oh shit, that's pretty sick" cause Trent doesn't do that section live anymore.

Ryan
08-18-2016, 05:26 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/195e17.jpg

Ryan
08-19-2016, 07:17 AM
^ Just tweeted that to Trent and Mari.

pcpunk
08-19-2016, 08:32 AM
you've got balls, Ryan.

wizfan
08-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Soooo...a hard drive I had kind of...melted? I was able to recover, literally, everything except for the three tiny pre-release clips of TWOIT titled "one", "two" and "three". Would anyone here happen to have these laying around and be willing to share? Much appreciated.

You can ask here! http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/250-Download-Archive

Vertigo
08-19-2016, 11:42 AM
you've got balls, Ryan.

I like balls.

sick among the pure
08-19-2016, 09:23 PM
31 Ghosts IV holds up so well and I hope it makes a comeback next tour because it was amazing live.

edit:
Also, while The Slip is often seen as one of the least favorite albums among fans, I think the way it was released was awesome and I would love to see something similar happen again. I am referring to the live rehearsals dvd compilation, specifically. Both as something to build hype for the tour, but also because I love having high quality audio of live versions along with album versions of songs. How awesome would an edited, quality live band recording of other albums as a companion piece to come with a physical release of that album be?

Bachy
08-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Loved "Survivalism," but "Starfuckers, Inc." is hands down the best NIN video:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/OuoA3rXZX8J0Y/giphy.gif

implanted_microchip
08-20-2016, 01:56 PM
I'd die for a whole album that sounds like the second half of The Slip (Head Down onward), the Tetsuo Theme, Came Back Haunted and Black Noise had children. Just sinister, moody, increasingly-weird material that dives (and slams) into the abstract.

Ryan
08-20-2016, 01:58 PM
just sinister, moody, increasingly-weird material that dives (and slams) into the abstract.

I see what you did there mister kleiner!

Bachy
08-20-2016, 02:01 PM
"Capital G" doesn't get enough love. I mean, that final minute is phenomenal.

implanted_microchip
08-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I guess I oughta be in the Controversial thread but for the life of me can't find it after cntrl+f'ing page one and two so eh but the version of The Wretched on Things Falling Apart is better than the studio version and should be done live, along with Slipping Away being a way better alternative to Into the Void and the violin version of The Frail being one of the most gorgeous things with the NIN name attached; if, instead of a billion Starfuckers remixes, they'd included the La Mer and Even Deeper remixes on it, TFA would be the best "companion album" possible for The Fragile and probably my favorite non-album NIN release.

pcpunk
08-20-2016, 03:04 PM
I guess I oughta be in the Controversial thread but for the life of me can't find it after cntrl+f'ing page one and two so eh but the version of The Wretched on Things Falling Apart is better than the studio version and should be done live, along with Slipping Away being a way better alternative to Into the Void and the violin version of The Frail being one of the most gorgeous things with the NIN name attached.
along that same line, i'd love another Further Down the Spiral-style tour which incorporated more remix and alternate material. imagine tracks like Closer to God and Where is Everybody? (Version) being played live. it'd be worth it just to see the casual fans utterly confused when they hear Head Like a Hole (Opal).

implanted_microchip
08-20-2016, 03:07 PM
along that same line, i'd love another Further Down the Spiral-style tour which incorporated more remix and alternate material. imagine tracks like Closer to God and Where is Everybody? (Version) being played live. it'd be worth it just to see the casual fans utterly confused when they hear Head Like a Hole (Opal).

Closer to God being done on the Dissonance tour sounded incredible. They've flirted around with remixes before -- they almost always do the All the Pigs, All Lined Up outro for March, I think they've done Reptilian before? Trent's always going on about wanting to "do something different" while touring; a tour fixated on mostly alternate versions and obscure material would kick ass. Smaller venues, LitS Me, I'm Not-style visuals and rigs, things like The New Flesh getting played and, finally, The Perfect Drug making its debut in remix form because that's exactly the smartass way of premiering it we all know Trent would be able to get behind.

Also, just to make everyone appreciate the studio version of Everything, they'd do the godawful remix of it.

Ryan
08-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Closer to God being done on the Dissonance tour sounded incredible. They've flirted around with remixes before -- they almost always do the All the Pigs, All Lined Up outro for March, I think they've done Reptilian before? Trent's always going on about wanting to "do something different" while touring; a tour fixated on mostly alternate versions and obscure material would kick ass. Smaller venues, LitS Me, I'm Not-style visuals and rigs, things like The New Flesh getting played and, finally, The Perfect Drug making its debut in remix form because that's exactly the smartass way of premiering it we all know Trent would be able to get behind.

Also, just to make everyone appreciate the studio version of Everything, they'd do the godawful remix of it.

You mean Everything (TR's Balls Being Squeezed At The Beginning Remix)?

implanted_microchip
08-20-2016, 03:26 PM
You mean Everything (TR's Balls Being Squeezed At The Beginning Remix)?

Now I'm extremely bummed that that wasn't what the Ball-Squeezingly Intense NIN Moments thread was all about

FULLMETAL
08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
My first NIN show was 25 years ago today at Lollapalooza in Orlando. Fuck, I'm old.

Bachy
08-20-2016, 08:50 PM
After AATCHB, I gotta go with "Adrift & At Peace" as my next favorite track on Still.

Bachy
08-20-2016, 09:03 PM
If Trent is ever on stage again performing "While I'm Still Here," I wanna see his fucking lips on that goddamned saxophone.

sick among the pure
08-20-2016, 11:30 PM
If Trent is ever on stage again performing "While I'm Still Here," I wanna see his fucking lips on that goddamned saxophone.

That was the biggest missed opportunity!

Ryan
08-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Now I'm extremely bummed that that wasn't what the Ball-Squeezingly Intense NIN Moments thread was all about

If we put our brains together we could create an empire to be reckoned with.

niggo
08-21-2016, 11:48 AM
they almost always do the All the Pigs, All Lined Up outro for March
I hear that quite often, but I don't agree on that one. The thing is, yeah, they're doing an outro for MOTP, but it's just that. An outro for MOTP. The ATPALU outro is quite different and unique in its own way.

Not that it's important or anything, just wanted to chip in :)

Bachy
08-21-2016, 04:45 PM
If Trent were to do a follow up to Year Zero, I think it would be pretty cool to release it the day after the election.

botley
08-21-2016, 06:48 PM
^ It could just be called "I Told You, Fuckers"

I hear that quite often, but I don't agree on that one. The thing is, yeah, they're doing an outro for MOTP, but it's just that. An outro for MOTP. The ATPALU outro is quite different and unique in its own way.

Not that it's important or anything, just wanted to chip in :)
It's shorter live, but I think they're essentially the same outro, give or take a few guitar riff embellishments. Unlike "March", which has many time signature interruptions, "All the Pigs" is in straight 4/4 time with an additional melody at the end where TR sings the title phrase. They do exactly that in the live outros; at the very least the same melody is played on keyboard and the outro stays in common time without the interruptions.

niggo
08-21-2016, 07:20 PM
It's shorter live, but I think they're essentially the same outro, give or take a few guitar riff embellishments. Unlike "March", which has many time signature interruptions, "All the Pigs" is in straight 4/4 time with an additional melody at the end where TR sings the title phrase. They do exactly that in the live outros; at the very least the same melody is played on keyboard and the outro stays in common time without the interruptions.

I agree that they share similarities. TR sings "All the pigs (are) all lined up" in both versions, 4/4 time signature seems right, too. Whole drum pattern seems to be the same. But I woudn't necessarily agree on the keyboard. Maybe same notes, but definitely played differently. The overall feel is just vastly different to me. The way he sings it live, the way the synth is used, I don't hear that and think "ah, that's the outro from ATPALU!".

I mean, we're talking about details here. I'd settle for: the live outro is based on a specific part in the ATPALU outro (starting at 5:30) but has evolved into its own thing.

nooneimportant
08-22-2016, 03:08 AM
Speaking of the MOTP outro, there apparently has been performances where it wasn't performed live.

http://www.nin.wiki/1994/04/26_Los_Angeles,_CA

fillow
08-22-2016, 03:57 AM
It wasn't performed at TDS full performances in 2009 either.

EndlessLoveless
08-22-2016, 06:57 AM
I caught 'meet your master' yesterday in the shuffle. Havent heard it for a while now. What a song, one of the highlights of year zero for me. Nobody is better than him at catchy, powerful, sing along gang vocals style choruses. More of that please.

You could just hear it....'DIVE, and SLAM'!!! Just kidding but I was actually excited about that song title for some reason. Something about it really intrigued me. Better than CBH imo.

Disassociative
08-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Speaking of the MOTP outro, there apparently has been performances where it wasn't performed live.

It wasn't performed at the Perth 2014 show I went to either, they just went straight into The Line Begins To Blur which was a nice treat. First NIN show and they perform one of my favourite songs live which was one they didn't seem to do too often.

eversonpoe
08-22-2016, 09:45 AM
listened to Year Zero again the other day for the first time in a while (which brings my total number of listens to...five or six?) and i like it more every time (with the glaring exception of capital g, which i always skip). really regretting selling my vinyl copy :/

bobbie solo
08-22-2016, 01:17 PM
I MUCH prefer MotP without the silly live add-on. I think the song has much more impact as a quick, blistering punch to the face instead of this drawn out repetitious thing it morphed into live. It's the closest Trent got to writing a punk song (until "Everything" of course ;) ). Oh well.

implanted_microchip
08-22-2016, 03:09 PM

There's also a 2014 Australian show where they did the album version.

SM Rollinger
08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
I caught 'meet your master' yesterday in the shuffle. Havent heard it for a while now. What a song, one of the highlights of year zero for me. Nobody is better than him at catchy, powerful, sing along gang vocals style choruses. More of that please.

You could just hear it....'DIVE, and SLAM'!!! Just kidding but I was actually excited about that song title for some reason. Something about it really intrigued me. Better than CBH imo.
OH come on man, you gotta love the "HHHUUU HHHHUUUU HHHHHUUUUUUUENTED"

wizfan
08-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Remember those sites that sell karaoke remakes of famous songs? Well, there's one for Came Back Haunted. http://www.sbikaraoke.com/site/search?page=1488&t=T27874

EndlessLoveless
08-23-2016, 06:48 AM
listened to Year Zero again the other day for the first time in a while (which brings my total number of listens to...five or six?) and i like it more every time (with the glaring exception of capital g, which i always skip). really regretting selling my vinyl copy :/

I never got the hate for that song. The first time i heard it, it was on shitty computer speakers and that bass synth that runs thru the verses was way too loud and distorted. I loved it. Thats how ive heard the song since. My least favorite is the warning... its just boring to me. The beat is good but the bass line and vocal delivery does nothing for me. After that it would be god given. The remix on Y%$FO97@VHYRE is far superior. I didnt like my violent heart at first either. It took years, but now its one of my favorites. That chorus...so dirty.

Ryan
08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/195e17.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2lddfes.jpg

Henrie_Schnee
08-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Yes Ryan, it all makes sense now... the delay is due to a NULL CORP-wide migration from Mac to Win.

I guess working for your heroes, as Trent does with Apple now, takes away a lot of ones childlike naivité.... hey, maybe there'll be a really brooding, depressing and hooky singalong-song about apple on [not true (working title)]!

botley
08-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Remember those sites that sell karaoke remakes of famous songs? Well, there's one for Came Back Haunted. http://www.sbikaraoke.com/site/search?page=1488&t=T27874
You can stream these, too. Useful for Karaoke parties...

ChipRock
08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
REVEALED! Artwork for the new Nine Inch Nails album made available today.

http://pics.filmaffinity.com/Trent_s_Last_Case-807060943-large.jpg

Yeah, so I made myself laugh anyway.

elevenism
08-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Ryan i loled my ass off at that

Ryan
08-23-2016, 05:41 PM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) i loled my ass off at that

I tweeted that to TR, Rob and MariQ as well haha

elevenism
08-23-2016, 07:34 PM
I tweeted that to TR, Rob and MariQ as well haha
i still haven't quite figured out how to work Tweeter just yet or i would be following you.

Ryan
08-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Login, search ryan_s and hit follow. :D

cashpiles (closed)
08-24-2016, 12:52 AM
ok People. I have a concept for Trent's next NIN album. It will be self-titled. and one song will be called Nine Inch Nails and it will be about Nine Inch Nails. Another song will be about his family with Mariqueen. Another song will be his thoughts on a great book or film that has impacted him. Another song will be about his song-writing process. Another song will be about his dreams and nightmares while he sleeps. Another song will be a tribute to all the bands and artists that have influenced him. Another song will be about a common life situation from his perspective. Another song will be a story. Another song will be about life at his age.

nooneimportant
08-24-2016, 10:53 PM
I was working on a remix of Capital G this past weekend and it hit me just how great Trent is at making music. That song has a bunch of things going on you wouldn't notice unless you went into the multitracks yourself.

Vertigo
08-25-2016, 04:16 AM
Yup, those sax honks are great. Never noticed them until messing with the multitrack.

I really wish we could have multitracks for other albums, that would very happily fill my "other stuff" quota for a couple of years.

Bachy
08-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Sometimes I think I could . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

Burn

https://66.media.tumblr.com/acc3e9d1d78e114da0a8e688837c1eab/tumblr_inline_mzxqkdFCRP1sohk3w.gif

niggo
08-26-2016, 08:05 AM
^ I heard the bass synth line.

blassster
08-26-2016, 06:24 PM
^ I heard the bass synth line.
Trent just ran to the shower fully clothed while wearing headphones and listening to it to do this himself run on sentence

elevenism
08-26-2016, 11:03 PM
So I was wondering about something. I was born March 1, 1980.
I saw Wish on Headbanger's Ball in 92 and was horrified but couldn't look away, thus cementing my NIN fandom. I was 12.
At the same time, I was listening to Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica, Primus, Nirvana, The Breeders, and even Ozzy. NIN, although they were my favorite, was a hard band among other hard bands, NOT a synthy thing that had more in common with Depeche Mode and David Bowie than the other noisy stuff I was listening to. I felt fierce in my OG Dr Martens and puffy nin shirt (fans of a certain age will remember this shirt ;), ) and black jeans that I cut to where they were too long to be shorts and too short to be jeans. I also had a wallet chain that came down almost to the tops of my boots.

I am rambling, but I guess my point is this: I am wondering how many of those of you who are in your mid to late thirties got into NIN because they were HARD and DISTURBING. My tastes have changed. You will now find me listening to Boards of Canada and Tears for Fears, and I can't remember the last time I turned on an Ozzy cd. I still ADORE those songs, I just don't listen to them much anymore.

OR, did you get into NIN, especially those of you who are a few years older, BECAUSE they were like DM and Bowie.

Sorry if I ramble.

nooneimportant
08-27-2016, 12:45 AM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475)

I remember hearing Into The Void in the background of MTV True Life when I was like 10, but I didn't become a fan until 2008 because I have a close friend that is big into NIN and I really liked THTF when I would play it on Rock Band. I remember reading about the Year Zero ARG and thought it was genius, so my first instinct was to test out Year Zero and I was blown away by it. I'm a big fan of Primus and The Residents and I was looking for something just as unique and challenging to the mind and Year Zero really did that for me, then when I found out about Lights in the Sky, I was fucking floored. Everything else like PHM and TDS was the icing on the cake. I'm now a fan for life.

I never thought NIN was disturbing or anything, infact, I don't think I ever had any true opinion on it growing up as a kid. I just knew of them as "the band that is gothic or something" but by the time I got in that stereotype had faded away and Trent was sober.

The Broken Movie is fucking disturbing though. I'm 25 and I'm not phased by much thanks to the Internet being insane and I find it hardcore.

allegro
08-27-2016, 01:25 AM
elevenism, I'm not your age (I'm more like Trent's age) but I got Broken when it came out because it was disturbing and hard and dirty. And then The Downward Spiral was an epic masterpiece. And, yeah, the video for Wish was awesome. TDS is the only NIN album I still listen to today.

(I'm with ya on the Boards of Canada and Tears for Fears, though. I was just listening to The Hurting the other day.)

bobbie solo
08-27-2016, 03:09 AM
I had cursory exposure to them until Woodstock '94. I watched that entire performance as a 14 year old and was absolutely blown away. They were scary, intense and yeah, def. a little disturbing. I was hooked after that.

piggy
08-27-2016, 04:31 AM
I was also born in 1980 and admittedly, part of the appeal of NIN for me in 1996 when I was a moody teenager is that they were dark and taboo. This was especially true growing up in Idaho. I did feel like a bit of a badass being a NIN fan while most people were listening to "safe" music. It also didn't hurt that I was beginning my odyssey with depression at the time and NIN really struck a chord with me.

r_z
08-27-2016, 07:39 AM
I got into NIN through being a fan of EL-P. So I was already into noisy, hard and disturbing music back then (check out El's 2002 debut "Fantastic Damage" if you haven't already). I love Reznor & Co's production to this day, but grew out of his lyrics, themes and acts just a few years after first getting into NIN. The music left a big enough impression though, so that's why I'm still around these shores and will certainly check for new material.

elevenism
08-27-2016, 02:30 PM
OR, did you get into NIN, especially those of you who are a few years older, BECAUSE they were like DM and Bowie,

Quoth @elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475)

I didn't even think about people who are YOUNGER first getting into nin post the era of disconcert. What is MTV True Life @nooneimportant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3581) ? wait, i prolly don't wanna knoe ;)

Also, it's funny to refer to oneself in the third person.

Also get off my lawn.

One more thing. allegro , do you listen to TDS all the way thru? because, while it's a masterpiece, it kinda makes me wanna kill myself these days.
i would say that TDS is the only one that i'm NOT comfortable listening to very often.

allegro
08-27-2016, 03:06 PM
elevenism, oh yeah, all the way thru, beginning to end; in the car, especially. I used to listen to it on plane trips a lot but I have not been able to travel much (special needs pets), Heresy upon takeoff once was hilarious ("your GOD IS DEAD..."); still love all of TDS, view it as a narrative and I don't relate to the protagonist's destructive hunger for power so it doesn't affect me personally; by the end, I kinda feel sorry for the protagonist but not really.

elevenism
08-27-2016, 03:32 PM
by the end, I kinda feel sorry for the protagonist but not really.

are you familiar with the true definition of psycopathy ;)

Seriously though, for me, i guess it is hurt to which i have the hardest time listening. (ending sentences with prepositions is the sort of thing up with which i will not put.)

Hurt and the title track. IDK, maybe it's not so disturbing. I haven't listened to it in awhile, like once in the past year. Maybe i should give it a spin.

allegro
08-27-2016, 03:36 PM
elevenism, the protagonist brought it upon himself and considering the protagonist's ... um ... difficulty with female power, it's possible that I view the protagonist differently than you. We are not totally sure of the end, it is left for us to fill in the blanks. The protagonist ultimately discovers / realizes that he can't be as powerful as he desired. I later took a Capstone class focused on Milton's "Paradise Lost" (Genesis, Satan's fall) so I saw a lot of similarities between TDS and that. (Reptile, Eve, Power, God)

elevenism
08-27-2016, 03:44 PM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475), the protagonist brought it upon himself and considering the protagonist's ... um ... difficulty with female power, it's possible that I view the protagonist differently. We are not totally sure of the end, it is left for us to fill in the blanks.
i was just teasing you :P

Re the protagonist's female power issues, i WON'T listen to big man with a gun, so i doubt our view of the protagonist differs all that much.

But i am VERY interested in your view of the ending as being ambiguous.
Are you saying that it may not be a suicide, rather, a description of a murder or something?

allegro
08-27-2016, 04:02 PM
i was just teasing you :P

Re the protagonist's female power issues, i WON'T listen to big man with a gun, so i doubt our view of the protagonist differs all that much.

But i am VERY interested in your view of the ending as being ambiguous.
Are you saying that it may not be a suicide, rather, a description of a murder or something?
No, just giving up his search for power, which for the protagonist is a pretty big concession (it was for Satan, LOL). BMWAG, I don't think that was literal, it was just another way that the protagonist is saying that he wants more power. He believes that the female is MORE powerful than him, that's what Closer is about, using her to get closer to God's power; in BMWAG, he has the gun because his own power isn't enough, and his dick certainly isn't enough; it's just a part of the overall narrative (and was allegedly a companion piece to Tori Amos' song "Me and a Gun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_a_Gun)" which is about her being sexually assaulted IRL, but that guy had a knife, though). The protagonist also has some level of self-loathing and loneliness that he hopes to alleviate through power, and in the end perhaps he realizes that he is in fact okay because he is just like everybody else: powerless.

elevenism
08-27-2016, 04:23 PM
allegro i realize all of that about BMWOG, however, i still have trouble with it.
Also, i never bought the idea that it was a TA companion piece, but i suppose it's possible when you look at all the other TR/TA connections ie the tori song that says starfucker and their double albums both being released on the same day and the TR backup vocals on the TA song.

I think the reason that i didn't buy the connection is that i seem to remember one or the other of them denying it, however, that doesn't really mean shit.
The author of Watership Down claimed that there was no religious symbolism in that book, which is fucking absurd.

allegro
08-27-2016, 04:26 PM
elevenism, TA said that the whole reason that TA and TR met is because he called her up and said he had listened to Little Earthquakes (released in 1992) and really loved it; this was BEFORE he recorded TDS. So, yeah ... "companion piece" is probably the wrong term; "reaction piece" is probably a better term. She references Reznor in "Precious Things" (those demigods with their nine-inch nails).

(Starfucker isn't about her, though. She wrote more songs about him and about CL, see "She's Your Cocaine," LOL)

elevenism
08-27-2016, 04:30 PM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475), TA said that the whole reason that TA and TR met is because he called her up and said he had listened to Little Earthquakes and really loved it; this was BEFORE he recorded TDS. So, yeah ... "companion piece" is probably the wrong term; "reaction piece" is probably a better term.
right, and trent was once quoted as saying that he listened to Little Earthquakes every day while working on TDS.
The more i think about it, the more i think that it WAS some type of "reaction piece," but they denied it to avoid relationship rumors.

But for me, a song about, say, ritual satanic murder, recorded in attempt at irony or as a reaction to someone else's song about ritual satanic murder, is still a song about ritual satanic murder.

This is why i have trouble with the song. I know that TR was obviously shooting for a bigger meaning, but alas, it still is what it is: someone threatening to kill me if i don't blow him at gunpoint ;)

Bachy
08-27-2016, 04:31 PM
There was a comment on a YouTube of 32 Ghosts IV that says it sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing. It was spot on and I still can stop laughing at it.

allegro
08-27-2016, 04:40 PM
right, and trent was once quoted as saying that he listened to Little Earthquakes every day while working on TDS.
The more i think about it, the more i think that it WAS some type of "reaction piece," but they denied it to avoid relationship rumors.

But for me, a song about, say, ritual satanic murder, recorded in attempt at irony or as a reaction to someone else's song about ritual satanic murder, is still a song about ritual satanic murder.

This is why i have trouble with the song. I know that TR was obviously shooting for a bigger meaning, but alas, it still is what it is: someone threatening to kill me if i don't blow him at gunpoint ;)
I don't think they were in a relationship, I think he just liked that she wrote about "raw" things in a very vivid and emotional way, with a single "theme" running throughout the album, which was something he also strived to do.

I think you're looking at it wrong; with BMWAG he was writing a scathing piece about a really bad protagonist, so it was an empathetic piece to TA's piece; TR ISN'T the protagonist. He's exploring the various areas of living a life like that guy, but he's not necessarily "that guy."

elevenism
08-27-2016, 04:52 PM
I don't think they were in a relationship, I think he just liked that she wrote about "raw" things in a very vivid and emotional way, with a single "theme" running throughout the album, which was something he also strived to do.

I think you're looking at it wrong; with BMWAG he was writing a scathing piece about a really bad protagonist, so it was an empathetic piece to TA's piece; TR ISN'T the protagonist. He's exploring the various areas of living a life like that guy, but he's not necessarily "that guy."
Oh no, i totally get that, that trent is writing as someone else.
What i'm saying is, whether that is the case or not, i STILL have a hard time with the CONTENT, you knoe? Like there is a Tyler, the Creator song that has the ironic chorus of "my bitch suck dick like my bitch suck dick." This inane statement is, to me, obviously a commentary on the banality of popular rap music. But to my wife, it's STILL a song saying "bitch suck dick" over and over and she finds it quite crude and doesn't want me to play it, even though she DOES understand the meaning.

And i have no idea if they were in a relationship, i just meant that hey wanted to avoid RUMORS of being in a relationship.

This keeps happening. Perhaps i am having trouble expressing my thoughts today.

wizfan
08-27-2016, 05:39 PM
There was a comment on a YouTube of 32 Ghosts IV that says it sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing. It was spot on and I still can stop laughing at it.

Meathead on 5 Ghosts I: "For some reason this song makes me think of Darth Vader watching a Quentin Tarantino movie."

wizfan
08-27-2016, 05:45 PM
allegro elevenism

When I see "TR" and "TA" together, all I can think about is this: (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=148)

It is time to tell the legendary tale of Charles Manson, Tori Amos, and a curiously uncooked chicken. Trent and Tori had become friends (he sang on her last album) and she would visit him at the Los Angeles house where TDS was recorded. The house where Manson followers killed Sharon Tate. On one visit, Tori told a depressed Trent that whe would whip him up a hearty home-cooked meal. The cursed chicken. After six hours in the Tate house oven, it was still bloody and raw. Tori's preferred excuse: "The spirits of the house wouldn't let it." Eventually Trent left for another studio, where he ordered in.

And the chicken?
He shrugs. "I didn't ask. The ghosts ate it."

sheepdean
08-27-2016, 05:55 PM
I always thought that story was just a "90s rocker" story. Or they were both high as balls and forgot to put the oven on.

allegro
08-27-2016, 06:05 PM
elevenism, BMWAG used to make me feel really uncomfortable, too, until I realized that it's SUPPOSED to make you feel uncomfortable, that's its intent.

If you feel uncomfortable: Mission Accomplished.

elevenism
08-27-2016, 06:11 PM
so it turns out that, according to this website, the TR TA connection is some type of dark conspiracy that the record industry doesn't want you to know about! (http://www.thanatopsic.org/music/trivial/ttcon.html) For instance, both used apple computers! Also, they BOTH had labels distributed by Atlantic records!
And if that doesn't convince you, at one point, they had both released a total of two singles off their latest album.

:D

allegro
08-27-2016, 07:12 PM
elevenism, my recollection seems to think that records are or were released on Tuesdays and that TA has released a lot more records than TR so this is coincidence, never mind the fact that I used to be on boards and news groups back in the 90s and early 2000s inhabited by girls who provided detailed information as to their rather short-lived relationship with the certain Rock Star male in question who was, at the time, living the typical Rock Star lifestyle, to which of course he was entitled (of course TA was not in that scene), to which Manson's book can provide testimony.

Now this does not mean that TA did not aspire to be in said relationship, or did not use said aspiration and the mystery of same to her benefit, mind you ... A lot of profit can be made off of said conspiracy. Or, it just adds fodder for discussion among those who don't have anything better to talk about over on certain message boards I won't name ...

elevenism
08-27-2016, 07:25 PM
allegro , a la Evan Dando/Juliana Hatfield, regarding the "will they/won't they" and "is this song about her/him, zomg it totally is" sort of thing?

Like, as a rabid lemonheads fan in the nineties, i bought JH records for just that reason

allegro
08-27-2016, 07:42 PM
elevenism, HAHAHA EXACTLY!!!!

I guess we get the same thing, now, with Taylor Swift, LOL and any other guy

Ryan
08-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Last night I had a dream that I was in a room with Trent and a handful of people from ETS and we were trolling Trent about "soon" and the supposed 2016 new stuff. At one point he had his shirtless back to us and I started painting some weird looking tattoo idea on his back with black paint and my index finger. There was a lot of laughter. What the fuck was that all about?

no, I don't recall which ETS people were with me unfortunately.

elevenism
08-28-2016, 12:57 AM
Last night I had a dream that I was in a room with Trent and a handful of people from ETS and we were trolling Trent about "soon" and the supposed 2016 new stuff. At one point he had his shirtless back to us and I started painting some weird looking tattoo idea on his back with black paint and my index finger. There was a lot of laughter. What the fuck was that all about?

no, I don't recall which ETS people were with me unfortunately. that's hilarious.
i've had dreams regarding ets and nin too, one where we like rented a 747 to go and pick everyone up to go to the show.

As to what its all about, hmmm. The tattoo, especially combined with us trolling him, could it have something to do with you wondering if trent still comes here and lurks, and thinking about how it might hurt his feelings, as in MARKED him, if he saw his fans laughing about "soon" and NIN 2016?

Maybe did you feel a little guilt deep down for that skeleton pic? OR, maybe were you just deep down wondering if he saw it?
That's my best guest @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67)

Ryan
08-28-2016, 01:30 AM
that's hilarious.
i've had dreams regarding ets and nin too, one where we like rented a 747 to go and pick everyone up to go to the show.

As to what its all about, hmmm. The tattoo, especially combined with us trolling him, could it have something to do with you wondering if trent still comes here and lurks, and thinking about how it might hurt his feelings, as in MARKED him, if he saw his fans laughing about "soon" and NIN 2016?

Maybe did you feel a little guilt deep down for that skeleton pic? OR, maybe were you just deep down wondering if he saw it?
That's my best guest @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67)

Skeleton pic AND the 2016 Plans Fake Screen Grab, lol.

Ryan
08-28-2016, 07:29 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2lddfes.jpg

Best two releases of 2016!

nooneimportant
08-29-2016, 04:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/a2hGAQn.jpg

niggo
08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Not really a NIN question rather than a musical question (don't know where else to put it):

Does anybody know how to produce that voice-powered synth that Trent did for example on Leaving Hope or The Frail?

wizfan
08-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Not really a NIN question rather than a musical question (don't know where else to put it):

Does anybody know how to produce that voice-powered synth that Trent did for example on Leaving Hope or The Frail?

I'm actually working on something along these lines right now. I will make the ETS announcement... soon. :)

wizfan
08-31-2016, 07:47 PM
This person seamlessly edited the instrumentals of Please and Appendage to sound like the Fragile cassette. Thanks, Starlord!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQT_WIffCI

somewhat_
09-01-2016, 05:22 AM
'Tis the month? (for something, anything - news, info, single)

WorzelG
09-01-2016, 05:52 AM
'Tis the month? (for something, anything - news, info, single)

The launch of the new ios10 from Apple is next Wednesday isn't it? And I read somewhere the new iPhone will be in shops Sept 16th? (Which was supposed to be new single date)

Bachy
09-01-2016, 09:24 AM
"Me, I'm Not" is so damn haunting. Love it.

Volband
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Already September. NIN apologists need to step up their game if this year will continue on this year, haha. Oh well, new Skillet, new Korn, new In Flames (new record + live DVD), new Metallica (that single song is fucking terrible though), new Celldweller (+Circle Of Dust), new Sum 41, new Rob Zombie, new Hammerfall... I'm obviously still not complaining, Juno is still blasting off in my room 0-24 ever since it was released, I don't even feel like I could process more NIN this year, just saying that there are bands are performers who are still making music despite being one foot in the grave, even without pre-emptively promising new material.

On the bright side, my birthday is on the 19th, which is completely unrelated to NIN, but recently, even fucking NIN is unrelated to NIN, so...

m15a
09-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Oh well, new Skillet, new Korn, new In Flames (new record + live DVD), new Metallica (that single song is fucking terrible though), new Celldweller (+Circle Of Dust), new Sum 41, new Rob Zombie, new Hammerfall... I'm obviously still not complaining, Juno is still blasting off in my room 0-24 ever since it was released, I don't even feel like I could process more NIN this year, just saying that there are bands are performers who are still making music despite being one foot in the grave, even without pre-emptively promising new material.

All these acts didn't mention that they were working on/releasing new material before their new releases?

Bachy
09-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Sexy and practical.

somewhat_
09-01-2016, 06:11 PM
The launch of the new ios10 from Apple is next Wednesday isn't it? And I read somewhere the new iPhone will be in shops Sept 16th? (Which was supposed to be new single date)

Yes, they have something going on on the 7th, 16th, and/or the 23rd. It's all a bit confusing as to what's happening when, but hopefully we get something out of it.

Volband
09-02-2016, 03:07 AM
All these acts didn't mention that they were working on/releasing new material before their new releases?
I don't know about all of them, but some of them did not. I believe Metallica is the act which has been talking about a new record for a long time, but at least they were touring. I don't think after seeing how TR ran out of new ides for NIN, too many people would complain to make a new NIN record if he at least toured with the band. There are so many amazing songs already, we could fight ourselves to death to settle on a fan setlist.

WorzelG
09-02-2016, 04:32 AM
I don't know about all of them, but some of them did not. I believe Metallica is the act which has been talking about a new record for a long time, but at least they were touring. I don't think after seeing how TR ran out of new ides for NIN, too many people would complain to make a new NIN record if he at least toured with the band. There are so many amazing songs already, we could fight ourselves to death to settle on a fan setlist.
It's only been 2 years since the end of the last tour leg that everyone was complaining about. Anyway NIN aren't a band that can tour without much notice, Trent can't expect the band to be able to play a show without a lot of practice because they're all hired in, so not in the same position as Metallica (also Metallica could just headline a bunch of festivals worldwide and earn loads of money for it. Not so with NIN, see Reading festival a few years ago).

Substance242
09-02-2016, 08:31 AM
TR ran out of new ides for NIN

You will regret this thought... soon. :-p

fillow
09-02-2016, 09:58 AM
https://pp.vk.me/c630226/v630226655/43e9b/NlLLIoDhDIs.jpg

buckaroo
09-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Yes, they have something going on on the 7th, 16th, and/or the 23rd. It's all a bit confusing as to what's happening when, but hopefully we get something out of it.

Aside from Trent stating there is new nin coming this year and that he works for Apple is there any reason to think something is happening with the release of the new iOS / Apple Music update?

I mean, are there reasons to expect new nin or are people just expecting some connect like releases as with the initial launch of Apple Music?

I'm just curious because it seems like there is a buzz regarding the Apple release which just doesn't really seem to have anything to do with new nin.

somewhat_
09-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Aside from Trent stating there is new nin coming this year and that he works for Apple is there any reason to think something is happening with the release of the new iOS / Apple Music update?

I mean, are there reasons to expect new nin or are people just expecting some connect like releases as with the initial launch of Apple Music?

I'm just curious because it seems like there is a buzz regarding the Apple release which just doesn't really seem to have anything to do with new nin.

The fact there is less than 4 months to go in the year and the apple connection is reason enough to think its a decent possibility. Also, the Fragile instrumentals were released with the Apple Music launch and Juno was an Apple exclusive, correct? So, there is already a history of releasing through apple, including once through the initial launch.

Edit: plus https://twitter.com/tricil/status/771506153138352129 doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it could

Volband
09-02-2016, 03:16 PM
You will regret this thought... soon. :-p
I can't wish for any better win-win situation for myself! :D

Bachy
09-02-2016, 09:12 PM
You got your pacifism
I got survivalism

WorzelG
09-03-2016, 01:23 AM
The fact there is less than 4 months to go in the year and the apple connection is reason enough to think its a decent possibility. Also, the Fragile instrumentals were released with the Apple Music launch and Juno was an Apple exclusive, correct? So, there is already a history of releasing through apple, including once through the initial launch.

Edit: plus https://twitter.com/tricil/status/771506153138352129 doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it could
The NIN Hot line retweeted it and that's kind of the BBC of NIN news

Volband
09-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Damn, is it high time to get ready for the hype? It's quite fearsome, because even if this new NIN is legit, I am so afraid it might not sound great. First world problems, I guess.

reznovka
09-03-2016, 04:28 AM
Damn, is it high time to get ready for the hype? It's quite fearsome, because even if this new NIN is legit, I am so afraid it might not sound great. First world problems, I guess.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/674/224/1f5.jpg

WorzelG
09-03-2016, 05:09 AM

IF it is an album / tour which isn't clear I hope he gets a handle on promotion this time and EITHER goes more low key playing theatres OR if he wants to do a ginormous tour does the whole proper promotion thing and accepts he has to go on TV before the tour to sell it (not including the grammies)/ release non-shit videos.

Dr Channard
09-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Hard to believe that Year Zero is fast approaching 10 years. Where the fuck does time go? Anyway, after listening to this album twice in the car today, it really is a modern classic and a perfect specimen of an electronic rock album. Almost 10 years later and it still sounds great, plus a social commentary just as relevant today as it was in 2007.

nooneimportant
09-03-2016, 11:29 PM
You know, thinking about Jimmy Kimmel Live having the first NIN talk show performance in history makes me wish the band played on Leno or Conan in 1994. Imagine March of the Pigs infront of a national audience. It would've been funny to see people's reactions.

Papagolash
09-03-2016, 11:51 PM
You know, thinking about Jimmy Kimmel Live having the first NIN talk show performance in history makes me wish the band played on Leno or Conan in 1994. Imagine March of the Pigs infront of a national audience. It would've been funny to see people's reactions.

I believe Letterman tried getting them on after Woodstock.

implanted_microchip
09-04-2016, 01:09 AM
I keep thinking "I'm good with no NIN live for a while" and then go and dive back into memories on YouTube and realize "Oh that's just a lie I tell myself to sleep at night."

As bitchy as so many were about the 2014 tour, those shows were so tight and the production and visuals were unbelievable. Nothing I've seen live since Tension and those '14 dates live have even edged on topping those shows. Just magic. I need that glitchy, crazy, massive sexy digital nightmare dreamscape back in my life again

Ryan
09-04-2016, 04:23 AM
I keep thinking "I'm good with no NIN live for a while" and then go and dive back into memories on YouTube and realize "Oh that's just a lie I tell myself to sleep at night."

Dive and slam back?

nooneimportant
09-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Trent really needs to perform Deep and Even Deeper back to back.

reznovka
09-04-2016, 09:37 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/nzn_2007/Iwanttobelieve.jpg

straight from the Church Of NINism :D http://facebook.com/churchofninism

Ryan
09-04-2016, 09:52 AM
So if Dive And Slam doesn't come out on September 16, what will?

shin2chi
09-04-2016, 10:07 AM
*danny rules* https://twitter.com/sharpxfangs/status/770789775108288513

gorast
09-04-2016, 11:00 AM
So if Dive And Slam doesn't come out on September 16, what will?
Probably nothing.

implanted_microchip
09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Probably nothing.

I always knew he'd bring the Nothing imprint back!

nooneimportant
09-04-2016, 09:57 PM
I always knew he'd bring the Nothing imprint back!

Night of Nothing tour for 2016 returns. It's literally nothing because there is no new NIN.

Kujy
09-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Ten more days until Dive and Slam.

joplinpicasso
09-06-2016, 07:20 PM
The slow days (months) on ETS: when we await a non-existent single and debate Pokemon Go in the NIN Spotting Thread.

Volband
09-07-2016, 03:17 AM
Oh my God, new Gaga coming too.... this year will be a fucking blast if new NIN surfaces as well!! Jesus, being a NIN fan is like being that single guy who constantly hears about his buddies' hookups, engagements, reuniting with old loves, while you are just waiting for the girl/boy you like to at least reply to your text messages.

- Hey Trent, 'sup with the Tension DVD? :D
seen ages ago

- Yo buddy, can't wait for your new stuff this year! I'm so hyped!!! Any new info, maybe?:P
seen ages ago

Deepvoid
09-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Apple's event started 42 minutes ago and yet we still don't have the announcement for the new NIN new triple CD album accompanied by the Blu-ray 3D Tension tour added to the bonus apple exclusive Fragile DE including Ghost V and VI?
What the fuck Trent!

somewhat_
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Today was never going to be the day. September 13 something will show up on Apple Music.

Source: none, I don't know shit, other than ios10 will be available on September 13

SM Rollinger
09-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Dive and Slam just announced

sweeterthan
09-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Dive and Slam just announced

You're yanking my chain.

BenAkenobi
09-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I go to sleep remembering this page number (300). If next morning it isn't 30 pages bigger, then - yay - i have another normal productive day (which i hope i will)

Bachy
09-07-2016, 03:39 PM
If Trent has any more "other stuff" planned for the year, I'd very much like one of them to be another collaboration with Saul Williams.

Deepvoid
09-07-2016, 06:22 PM
At this point... $5 the new album drops at 11h59pm on December 31st.

Bachy
09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
At this point... $5 the new album drops at 11h59pm on December 31st.

That would be the ultimate troll by Trent.

Arcspiral
09-08-2016, 12:40 AM
Grasping at straws here, but I'm starting to think that NIN may be done. When Trent tweeted about new NIN, maybe he was referring to Greatest Hits/B-Sides/Reissues etc.

His FB profile says that he "worked at Nine Inch Nails". Past tense. As in used to.
Furthermore, the Apple Music bio for NIN begins as "Nine Inch Nails were the most popular industrial group ever" Again, past tense. Unless of course another industrial group has surpassed NIN in terms of popularity or notoriety, which none comes to mind.

Also, the NIN store has been blasting social media with sales/prompts to buy stuff. Think they are clearing out room to add a bunch more?

Not trying to be pessimistic or anything here, but I really am beginning to think it's mostly over. Maybe something from the above mentioned "projects" and a club tour to really Wave Goodbye so to speak, then that's it. At this point though, could you blame him? He's got a family at home and a career w/ Apple. Think Trent really gets excited about playing MOTP 100 different times on a massive tour? Think he's excited to open himself up to scrutiny after the way people treated HM (99% of people shat all over "Everything").

Add all this up to the lack of any news from anyone in the NIN camp and I'm more and more convinced I'm right. Don't get me wrong, I hope i am wrong. If I am, I'll totally apologize to all of you for the stressful thoughts!

I still think Trent would do scores with Atticus and I think HTDA is still going. But NIN?? I'm leaning towards probably not.

BRoswell
09-08-2016, 01:05 AM
People said Nine Inch Nails was probably done after the Wave Goodbye tour and after Trent started doing film scores/HTDA, but we still got another album. Until Trent says it himself, I'm not going to assume Nine Inch Nails is finished, just that he's taking his time and will announce something when he's ready.

WorzelG
09-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Arcspiral I don't really agree, regardless of the hassles of touring I think some people just HAVE to perform, I think there was an interview between the scores and HM where he said he felt most alive on a stage. There are people (Gary Numan for example) who find ways to tour without it taking over for a whole year

m15a
09-08-2016, 01:18 AM
"Mostly over" in the sense that most of NIN is in the past is a safe bet, but I think the evidence listed for NIN being completely done is "grasping at straws". I don't think Trent decided that he was completely done with NIN and then decided to update his Facebook profile to reflect that before making any sort of announcement.

Bachy
09-08-2016, 01:32 AM
As a touring entity, sure, NIN is probably close to if not done. But I don't believe Trent will ever stop releasing music.

nooneimportant
09-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Grasping at straws here, but I'm starting to think that NIN may be done. When Trent tweeted about new NIN, maybe he was referring to Greatest Hits/B-Sides/Reissues etc.

His FB profile says that he "worked at Nine Inch Nails". Past tense. As in used to.

Trent probably set that Facebook profile up during Wave Goodbye and hasn't updated the info on it since. A Facebook profile should not be determining anything about Nine Inch Fuckin' Nails. What next? Is he gonna announce he's scoring a new film on Tinder?

I guarantee you if NIN is ever done, he will let everyone know about it. It's funny to me that people are quick to jump to conclusions about NIN already when he specifically said it's not done and we just had a new album and tour.

ChipRock
09-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Part of me wishes that Trent had said, in December '15, that new Nine Inch Nails was coming 'soon'. We'd all be in a right state by now - it'd be hilarious.

I mean, this is all part of the fun right? At worst everybody else's opinion is stupid, at best we're just fidgeting a bit in our chairs for nine months straight. It'd be boring if he said 'y'know what, I'm kinda busy with other things right now, but you'll get new music just before we get to Christmas'.

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if he did announce that actually he was fed up with it all and there'd be no new Nine Inch Nails ever, and that'd be fine at this point, I think. But also we could be hit with a brand spanking new double album for free, with an extensive world tour starting next week, and that would feel fairly normal too. I love this band.

joplinpicasso
09-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Arcspiral I actually recall that HM was critically received well. NIN "super" fans discredited Everything (much to my chagrin!). I do think it's a tricky situation, to announce a 'second' goodbye. Less hype / fanfare.

implanted_microchip
09-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Is he gonna announce he's scoring a new film on Tinder?

15 Closer instrumental remixes along with the long-fabled Crack Slap Clap Trap as a bonus track, and I can't even imagine the delicious eroticism of his Grindr-exclusive album. Meathead needs to come out of retirement and get around to it already

Frozen Beach
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
So apparently all NIN videos on the official youtube account aren't available in the US anymore? When did this happen?

ultimatebdp
09-08-2016, 10:25 AM
We'll get something "soon"...whether it be music or an explanation. We all thought NIN was over a few years ago and it was just going to be soundtracks and HTDA going forward...then BAM!! He had been working on HM for a year.

Between the 3 kiddos (which includes a 10 month old), constant Apple conference calls/meetings, and everything else rumored to be floating around, I'm cutting TR some slack. I don't see him retiring...the guy is an artist and will always want to create in some capacity.

Also, the holidays are around the corner...prime time for releases.

implanted_microchip
09-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Between the 3 kiddos (which includes a 10 month old), constant Apple conference calls/meetings, and everything else rumored to be floating around, I'm cutting TR some slack.

How dare you

Get the hell out of here with your reasonable assessments and level-headed views; everybody knows that the fourth quarter of a year is a myth

buckaroo
09-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Also, the holidays are around the corner...prime time for releases.

October and November are usually the months for bigger releases, but I don't think nin really falls into this category. I could see a greatest hits/best of or a reissue (Fragile) being released around this time, but honestly I can't imagine if this were happening that it wouldn't be listed on upcoming releases yet. Those are not usually the types of releases that employ the "surprise new release" marketing strategy. Hopefully there is a new album on the way before the end of the year.

It would be really nice to have some sort of regular updates regarding nin.

implanted_microchip
09-08-2016, 11:14 AM
It would be really nice to have some sort of regular updates regarding nin.

Well I mean there was that nifty newsletter for Tension blu-ray updates we all signed up for, so, any day now

xfocalinx
09-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Part of me still thinks we're going to get something new soon.. however, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'd rather be surprised when something drops.

buckaroo
09-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Well I mean there was that nifty newsletter for Tension blu-ray updates we all signed up for, so, any day now

I might be totally off with this one, but I really think this is still happening. I think the scope of the release changed and turned into a much larger project than expected. I am still holding out for more of a documentary style release regarding the entire process of deciding to record the album, the process of setting up the new live show, then changing the band, then changing the band again.

By the way, if there is any audio of the rehearsals with Adrian Belew I really hope those surface someday.

implanted_microchip
09-08-2016, 01:00 PM
I might be totally off with this one, but I really think this is still happening. I think the scope of the release changed and turned into a much larger project than expected. I am still holding out for more of a documentary style release regarding the entire process of deciding to record the album, the process of setting up the new live show, then changing the band, then changing the band again.

By the way, if there is any audio of the rehearsals with Adrian Belew I really hope those surface someday.

Considering how absurdly long it took for Rammstein's In Amerika to come out, and NIN's track record of glacial paces, I'm open to the idea of it coming out one day, but I'm just of the attitude that I'd rather expect nothing and be surprised than bet on something and be disappointed.

SarahConnor
09-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Well, I noticed the past tense used in the Apple Bio, and then recalled that bio from the NIN Allmusic.com page. I believe it was written during the 'retirement' period. One issue I've got with Apple Music- of many issues as a paying subscriber- is the lack of detail to artist bios. Fucking Allmusic? Notice when you use Apple that the other bios will be out of date, contain typos, or be non-existent for recent, 00's era acts. Its tough for artists to be summarized in their primes but c'mon, that was ten fuckin' years ago and nothing can be written up? Also, the Facebook past tense is another formatting issue with the website. I don't believe NIN is a 'completed.' However, no, I'm not anticipating a Hits LP necessary as it may be.

SarahConnor
09-08-2016, 01:45 PM
That'd be cool to hear. My bet is that the NIN songbook is not ripe for much improvisation. Also, the hits will be played, and shit like 'hits' turn-off alot of more out-there musicians. Belew bailed for these reasons ...I liked the sound of NIN w/ Buckingham on the Grammy's. The problem there was not on the band. His backing vocals were great, that's one of the reasons Fleetwood still sound so cool.

billpulsipher
09-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if NIN is done. Trent is busy these days working for Apple and that takes up a lot of time. And as far as NIN goes, from PHM straight through WT, TR always had something to say. I get the feeling YZ was about an alternate reality because at that point he was already running out of things to say. Also around that time is when he started doing more and more instrumental music (further proof he was running out of things to say) So now in 2016, what exactly is TR going to write about? Taking the kids to school? Going to parent teacher conferences? Grocery shopping and doing laundry with the wife? He wouldnt be the first artist to run out of things to say. Maybe he started the project, realized he had nothing left to say and canned it

sheepdean
09-08-2016, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if NIN is done. Trent is busy these days working for Apple and that takes up a lot of time. And as far as NIN goes, from PHM straight through WT, TR always had something to say. I get the feeling YZ was about an alternate reality because at that point he was already running out of things to say. And now in 2016, what exactly is TR going to write about? Taking the kids to school? Going to parent teacher conferences? Grocery shopping and doing laundry with the wife? He wouldnt be the first artist to run out of things to say
If only he had already begun an anthology series of tracks without lyrics. Call it like, Spirits.

And you act like he's never had a partner before, and that all stresses in his life are magically gone. I mean, he has to deal with fans like you still, that's at least an EP's worth.