PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Wolfkiller
09-11-2015, 07:32 PM
It can be two things at once... a song that fits into the story of the album AND a parody/commentary on gangsta rap. Sorry if I just blew anyone's mind with that.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Sorry if I just blew anyone's mind with that.
So much blood for such a tiny little hole

Dr Channard
09-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned I would have been Running to get it, Find My Way to the last surviving record store, only to find out I already owned Everything on it except for the shoved In Two unreleased tracks, which I don't even really like.

All I'm saying is, I'm pretty happy with the way things panned out.

And with that one…

https://i.imgflip.com/qxb6q.jpg

Wolfkiller
09-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Everything's blu in this world. Except Closure and And All That Could Have Been.

kattastrophic
09-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Everything's blu in this world. Except Closure and And All That Could Have Been.

And Tension 2013.

Dr Channard
09-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Another exception, the smile is red, and its eyes are black.

kattastrophic
09-12-2015, 11:39 AM
another exception, the smile is red, and its eyes are black.

(black black black black black black black black black)

Wolfkiller
09-12-2015, 01:26 PM
(black black black black black black black black black) NUMBER OOOONE!

I can't believe my two favorite bands toured togther. Fuck dinosaurs, I know my first stop when time travel gets figured out.

Hazekiah
09-12-2015, 04:47 PM
you hadn't said that already. you made a little rant that sounded kind of homophobic and ridiculous, which is why i facepalmed it. also, people take facepalming WAY too seriously.
@GibbonBlack (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1294) stated that the song seemed to be more about trent's celebrity status and i agreed with that...why is that confusing?

It was only confusing insofar as they were basically saying the same thing you facepalmed when I said it; the imagery of "limp dicks" conjured by the song "Getting Smaller" was a statement on his "inefficacy/uselessness" at the time of With Teeth, which he was deliberately alluding to as a form of impotency. The "rant" I went on surrounding that point was simply meant to illustrate the pattern of expression which is his m.o. for the sake of establishing his intent with respect to the "limp dicks" imagery.

And I don't take facepalming that seriously, fwiw...at least not as seriously as the people who actually pay money to enable the feature. I just thought it was worth asking about given the circumstances. Also, LOL at the idea of me sounding homophobic, ffs. I'd think being the guy in pigtails and make-up who's a massive fan of NIN and Marilyn Manson would go a LONG way towards establishing my lack of discomfort with the idea of non-hetero sexuality, lol. I mean, that's not exactly the kind of stuff most homophobes would gravitate towards, right?

Personally, I think "Fixed" was just chosen because it's a word associated with "Broken." I think the other meanings of fixed might have been intentional, but more in a humorous pun sort of way.

Well, yeah...obviously?

I was hardly suggesting that Reznor actually had himself castrated, lol.

Aside from the other points that were already mentioned, I have also wondered if it was also set up to look like an intentional reference or response to Me And A Gun by Tori Amos on her album Little Earthquakes. What you've said reminded me of their conspiracy, as it was called. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but it seemed to be very much alive from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that "Big Man with a Gun" is practically a companion piece to "Me and a Gun."

In fact, Reznor even went out of his way to mention in several interviews that he actually played the song for her in person to see how she felt about him possibly including it on the album. Oh, to be a fly on the wall for THAT conversation. Eek.

Needless to say, however, she agreed that it should be included.

Speaking of which, I can't say I recall ever having noticed any re-recorded, new performances on the 2004 remasterings of this song.

Could anyone be more specific about what exactly was re-recorded? I'd be curious to hear that.

GulDukat
09-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Aside from the other points that were already mentioned, I have also wondered if it was also set up to look like an intentional reference or response to Me And A Gun by Tori Amos on her album Little Earthquakes. What you've said reminded me of their conspiracy, as it was called. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but it seemed to be very much alive from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s.

@Charmingly Miserable (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3645) @RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) - I'd definitely be interested in what either of you might have to say about it as well.

On the other hand, I could also still see that as a satirical parody of hip hop, as well as a parody of people acting like tough guy rappers and gangsters, but that's just me. I'd even go out on a limb and venture to say that if it was intended to be a parody of such on any kind of level, it's probably somewhat akin to say, 50 Cent's Wanksta in some ways. Aside from that, I don't know what else to say, because I still found what Trent said about Big Man With A Gun to be very believable.

I could actually see that in some ways, even though that sort of thing was already visually accomplished on the Broken movie. I also thought that Big Man With A Gun could've also inspired the way the final version of Get Your Gunn (At least in a minor way.) came to be, even though most of the inspiration from The Downward Spiral ended up on Smells Like Children and Antichrist Superstar. But yes, in that era, I wouldn't put it past Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson influencing and inspiring each other with ideas being bounced around from both camps as a result of their collaboration and friendship.

I just loved the way you put that, as this is exactly what I had in mind, not only with Big Man With A Gun, but the entire Broken movie as well. Depending on who you are, if your brain has ever functioned like that whenever you're very angry, it's actually very relatable and understandable. You've also summed it up so much better than I ever could have, which is great, because I had a very hard time trying to describe the Broken movie in that kind of way. :)

And not to mention, I can also still see how those types of songs also set the perfect mood for destroying instruments and equipment on stage with or without them messing up. It's also still one of my favorite reasons for watching Closure. :)

I also saw Big Man With A Gun as the final explosion before slowing down for A Warm Place and then facing further demise and lows afterwards. I have also read descriptions of The Downward Spiral having some of the songs are of the character trying to get higher and higher in songs like Closer and Ruiner only to go lower and lower in songs like A Warm Place and Eraser as the character gets more vulnerable and suicidal after those bursts of aggression and perceived invincibility and power, with Hurt being the bottom the downward spiral as well as the final blow.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't really think the songs are related. Tori's song is about being raped, while Trent's song is about machismo posturing. The titles are similar, but I don't think Trent's was in response to Tori, but who knows?

m15a
09-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Well, yeah...obviously?

I was hardly suggesting that Reznor actually had himself castrated, lol.

What is obvious to you? And what were you suggesting?

kattastrophic
09-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I don't really think the songs are related. Tori's song is about being raped, while Trent's song is about machismo posturing. The titles are similar, but I don't think Trent's was in response to Tori, but who knows?
Her song was about being raped. His can be interpreted to be about raping another.
So I personally believe it was, but to each their own.

sheepdean
09-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Her song was about being raped. His can be interpreted to be about raping another.
So I personally believe it was, but to each their own.
I would heavily dislike Trent, or at least Trent of that era, if that were the case, as hers is about a true story and not something to have a "response" to.

kattastrophic
09-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I would heavily dislike Trent, or at least Trent of that era, if that were the case, as hers is about a true story and not something to have a "response" to.

It may have been why he supposedly played it for her to check for her approval.
But... http://imgur.com/8whiEIM

sheepdean
09-12-2015, 09:01 PM
It may have been why he supposedly played it for her to check for her approval.
But... http://imgur.com/8whiEIM
That also would remove it from the album's concept (unless she's part of it) and, youknow, I very much doubt she would have been OK with him doing that. Remember Just Do It was pulled for being too dark, a song about raping one of his close friends (or a visceral conceptual response to that) being left on is very unlikely.

Hazekiah
09-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Well, he asked her for her okay and he got it. That's what he said at the time, at least.

And considering what he's also said about the album being based on his own life experiences with additional elements of fantasy, I don't really see how "Big Man with a Gun" being, in part, a rape-fantasy which was possibly inspired by the song a very close friend of his wrote about her own real life experience with the subject would in any way "remove it from the album's concept."

And it is UNQUESTIONABLY not just a parody of gangsta-rap, btw.

From the man himself:

SPIN: Let me ask you about Downward Spiral's "Big Man With A Gun." I'm sure you've heard the story of C. Delores Tucker going to the Time/Warner people and saying 'Could you read these lyrics out loud?" And they refused. They are crude lyrics.

TRENT REZNOR: Absolutely. The record was nearing completion. I had written those lyrics pretty quickly and I didn't know if I was going to use them or not. To me, Downward Spiral builds to a certain degree of madness, then it changes. That would be the last stage of delirium. So the original point of "Big Man With A Gun" was madness. But it was also making fun of the whole misogynistic gangsta-rap bulls**t.

It's about the peak of madness and delirium clearly described within the song itself.

And it's ALSO a satire of gangsta-rap.

Great interview, btw! Well worth reading in full:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=625

What is obvious to you? And what were you suggesting?

I was suggesting what I'd been suggesting on this point all along, which is in agreement with your own post, that Fixed was chosen as a title due to its word association with Broken, and that it was intentionally meant as a pun regarding the meaning of the word "fixed," as in neutered, playing off of the implications of the use of the word "broken" in "Gave Up" in relation to its imagery of impotence.

m15a
09-12-2015, 09:45 PM

I don't know exactly how people are interpreting the track as a response, but "response" can mean a lot of things. Response can be a synonym to reaction, and a lot of fictional narrative art works are reactions to real specific events. It seems like you're interpreting "response" more narrowly, and because of that, you might be arguing against something people aren't claiming.

kattastrophic
09-12-2015, 09:51 PM
That also would remove it from the album's concept (unless she's part of it) and, youknow, I very much doubt she would have been OK with him doing that. Remember Just Do It was pulled for being too dark, a song about raping one of his close friends (or a visceral conceptual response to that) being left on is very unlikely.

To be fair, it was more than likely just a play on the title rather than about raping her, specifically.

m15a
09-12-2015, 09:56 PM
I was suggesting what I'd been suggesting on this point all along, which is in agreement with your own post, that Fixed was chosen as a title due to its word association with Broken, and that it was intentionally meant as a pun regarding the meaning of the word "fixed," as in neutered, playing off of the implications of the use of the word "broken" in "Gave Up" in relation to its imagery of impotence.

Oh, okay. I wasn't responding to your post specifically anyway, instead responding to the discussion as a whole, but I don't think that the title was chosen to reference the "imagery of impotence" or any other metaphor - that was what I was saying in my post. I think either it was solely chosen because it's a word associated with Broken or it was chosen because of that and also because Trent thought the other meanings of fixed were humorous.

botley
09-12-2015, 11:09 PM
imagery of impotence.
This is not a thing. There is no "imagery of impotence" to critique when impotence itself is already being used as a metaphor. If you take a metaphor, and combine it with other metaphorical imagery, you are mixing metaphors. Reznor is not a lazy writer, his metaphors can be crude but he does not as a rule combine layers of allusion in this obtuse way. Your inference is kind of like that photo of the guy with dollar bills strapped to his eyeglasses, but instead it's limp dicks.

allegro
09-12-2015, 11:23 PM
And considering what he's also said about the album being based on his own life experiences with additional elements of fantasy, I don't really see how "Big Man with a Gun" being, in part, a rape-fantasy which was possibly inspired by the song a very close friend of his wrote about her own real life experience with the subject would in any way "remove it from the album's concept."

From the man himself:

"TRENT REZNOR: Absolutely. The record was nearing completion. I had written those lyrics pretty quickly and I didn't know if I was going to use them or not. To me, Downward Spiral builds to a certain degree of madness, then it changes. That would be the last stage of delirium. So the original point of "Big Man With A Gun" was madness. But it was also making fun of the whole misogynistic gangsta-rap bulls**t."

Reznor has said, in shitloads of interviews, that TDS is a concept album and an exploration of power. Sex and power and one fictitious character's goal in achieving ultimate (God-like) power. BMWAG is the male's ultimate use of power. His dick and his gun (both equal tools of power) are used in tandem to achieve control and power. Gansta rap exhibits this same misogynist power. Then the protagonist eventually meets the Reptile, then he tries to kill himself when he realizes he's a total asshole.

Here is a pretty good interpretation: http://www.4degreez.com/nailz/ninterpretations/downspiral.html

Re Broken: Reznor has said, in multiple interviews, that "Broken" was written after the breakup of a really shitty relationship, which is obvious in the lyrics of the album. It's the ultimate angry breakup album. "Fixed" means, obviously, that he's over it.

Hazekiah
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST
CONTAINS NSFW MATERIAL

But not till the very bottom!

Okay, moving on...

This is not a thing. There is no "imagery of impotence" to critique when impotence itself is already being used as a metaphor. If you take a metaphor, and combine it with other metaphorical imagery, you are mixing metaphors. Reznor is not a lazy writer, his metaphors can be crude but he does not as a rule combine layers of allusion in this obtuse way. Your inference is kind of like that photo of the guy with dollar bills strapped to his eyeglasses, but instead it's limp dicks.

Well, firstly, thanks for editing that for clarity because I didn't know wtf you were trying to say at first, lol.

Likewise, I'm unfamiliar with the photo you're describing but I think I get the point anyway. You're saying I just want to see limp dicks?

Haha, yeah...not really.

And it's the very metaphor of impotence which CONJURES the imagery of impotence in the first place! How exactly is that "taking a metaphor and combining it with OTHER metaphorical imagery" or a "mixed metaphor." The metaphor IS the imagery and the imagery IS the metaphor.

o_O

Reznor has said, in shitloads of interviews, that TDS is a concept album and an exploration of power. Sex and power and one fictitious character's goal in achieving ultimate (God-like) power. BMWAG is the male's ultimate use of power. His dick and his gun (both equal tools of power) are used in tandem to achieve control and power. Gansta rap exhibits this same misogynist power. Then the protagonist eventually meets the Reptile, then he tries to kill himself when he realizes he's a total asshole.

Here is a pretty good interpretation: http://www.4degreez.com/nailz/ninterpretations/downspiral.html

Re Broken: Reznor has said, in multiple interviews, that "Broken" was written after the breakup of a really shitty relationship, which is obvious in the lyrics of the album. It's the ultimate angry breakup album. "Fixed" means, obviously, that he's over it.

Oh, good...we've read lots of the same interviews!

Now perhaps you'll recall that there was also this OTHER important "breakup" surrounding the creation of Broken. You know, the whole Trent Reznor vs. TVT thing?

Also kind of a big deal and very much a focus of the e.p., lol.

Please tell me I'm NOT alone in interpreting Broken in general and "Happiness in Slavery" in particular as Reznor's critique of his treatment within the music industry.

As Reznor himself illustrated in the interview I linked to above, art can deal with multiple subjects on multiple levels at the same time.

That's pretty much what I'm getting at here.

Oh, okay. I wasn't responding to your post specifically anyway, instead responding to the discussion as a whole, but I don't think that the title was chosen to reference the "imagery of impotence" or any other metaphor - that was what I was saying in my post. I think either it was solely chosen because it's a word associated with Broken or it was chosen because of that and also because Trent thought the other meanings of fixed were humorous.

Well, that's fine. But I really don't see how anyone's missing my point about the title or disagreeing with it by now.

I'll try to be exceedingly clear.

Nine Inch Nails has featured near-constant phallic imagery throughout its career.

"Gave Up" makes it obvious that "broken" refers to a broken penis, if you will. Therefore, "fixed" would refer to a fixed penis, as in one which has been neutered.

Is it also simply a word association playing against the title of Broken? Sure.

But looking at the Broken e.p. more closely, one finds the only OTHER use of the word "broken" is in "Happiness in Slavery," which features perhaps the most penis shots of any major label music video. He even goes out of his way to OVEREMPHASISE the word "penis" in "happiness" at the end of the song.

Getting back to the start of all this, "Getting Smaller" later discussed his growing insecurities about his increasing obscurity and impotence within the music industry at the time in terms of, well...impotence. Hence, the title.

Which makes perfect sense in relation to the statement behind Broken, I'd add.

Broken was largely fueled by his disillusionment regarding the music industry, his unsatisfactory dealings with TVT, and the feeling of having been "slave-traded" to Interscope (his words, not mine) and the prospect of his being robbed of his self-expression as Nine Inch Nails, much the same way "Getting Smaller" deals with his impotence within the same industry years later.

And what was he feeling in the midst of Broken and Fixed?

HAP-PENIS
http://i.imgur.com/T2JXf0L.gif

allegro
09-13-2015, 12:38 AM
Firstly, Reznor has said that "Broken" was about the breakup with TVT but also about the breakup of a live-in relationship with a girlfriend. You can't interpret an entire album by one song (HiS). Secondly, I don't get how "Gave Up" is about a broken dick and I have a BA in English Lit.

HE is Broken. All of him. He has given up. His lips may promise but his heart his a whore. This isn't meant to last, this is for right now

Fresh blood through tired skin
new sweat to drown me in

Hazekiah
09-13-2015, 01:08 AM
I'm not debating the part about the breakup of his personal relationship.

I'm saying that his statements dealing with that subject coexist alongside his statements about his breakup with TVT, insofar as Broken is concerned. "Wish," for instance, could just as easily be interpreted as a song about his girlfriend betraying his trust as it could be his record label doing the same.

Same goes for "Last." Same goes for "Gave Up." Same goes for "Physical (You're So)." Same goes for "Suck."

Hell, same goes for "Help Me I am in Hell" and "Pinion," ffs!

Sooo...what was that about interpreting "an entire album by ONE song" again???

And, no offense to your schooling (good for you!), but if you have a B.A. in English Literature and still can't see how lyrics like "all covered with hope and Vaseline, still cannot fix this broken machine, watching the hole, it used to mine" just MIGHT be an allusion to impotence, literally OR metaphorically, then, I mean, I don't know wtf to say, lol.

Really?!?

o_O

allegro
09-13-2015, 01:13 AM
YOU said it was just about one thing, not me. Go re-read your own thesis.

And hope and Vaseline doesn't make the whole song and album about impotence for Christ sake.

Your thesis said that Broken is about (sexual) impotence and Fixed is about being neutered.

Or something.

Reznor has stated in interviews that HiS was about TVT, and that Broken was about both TVT and the shitty g/f thing. And he's just whiney. We didn't exactly expect a Barney record.

Hazekiah
09-13-2015, 01:52 AM
Holy fuck's sake.

This whole thing started because someone confessed that "Getting Smaller" made them think of limp dicks, lol. A thesis which I've supported.

I then went on, laboriously, tediously, and I hope HILARIOUSLY clarifying the point that Reznor has employed phallic imagery at great length (so to speak, w00t) since the very beginning of his career as Nine Inch Nails and has likewise used the metaphor and imagery of impotence to convey his feelings about his place within the music industry.

I'm not saying that "hope and Vaseline," etc. makes "the whole song about impotence."

Nor am I claiming that Broken is about sexual impotence or that Fixed is about being neutered.

What you're misunderstanding there somehow (???) is my point that Reznor's lyrics alluding to impotence in "Gave Up" metaphorically reinforce and support his statement about his place in the music industry vis-à-vis his statement on precisely that subject in the song immediately preceding it. And, yeah, the whole album could be interpreted that way, which I think is appropriate. He went through two ENORMOUS "breakups" in his life simultaneously and BOTH bled into EACH song. That's not too hard to understand, right?

And, once again, entitling the companion remix e.p. as Fixed was most likely meant as a clever word association/pun which expanded upon the broken/impotence theme of Broken. I guess you could say that Fixed is "about being neutered" but you're losing a LOT of nuance from an already fairly straightforward message in doing so, and that's not what I was saying anyway.

Double-meanings, at the LEAST.

I'm just saying that the impotence/neutering vs. record-labels/the-music-industry thing is DEFINITELY the core of it.

Throw in a giant FUCK YOU to his ex-gf if you like, but I was HARDLY saying that "it was just about one thing," lol.

(Puns intended!)

Ryan
09-13-2015, 05:46 AM
If only Trent read this page from top to bottom... I'd kill to see the expression on his face.

BenAkenobi
09-13-2015, 06:19 AM
So, Hazekiah, do you think "fixed" means "repaired and not broken anymore" or "remaining stationary and unchanged" (2 contrary meanings)?

botley
09-13-2015, 09:03 AM
And it's the very metaphor of impotence which CONJURES the imagery of impotence in the first place! How exactly is that "taking a metaphor and combining it with OTHER metaphorical imagery" or a "mixed metaphor." The metaphor IS the imagery and the imagery IS the metaphor.
I get what you're saying here, but that's not the way Reznor employs those things. He will say "I've got a big gun" and it's surely a metaphor, as clear as the dick on my face. You see how I subtly mixed metaphors, there?

(By the way, while the line "got me a big old dick" is parodic, I don't think much of the rest of that song is.)

He will, in many separate cases, also use classic imagery like "ocean pulls me close and whispers in my ear" in his lyrics. But it's a big leap to say he will then develop that image of an ocean into a metaphorical relationship, one which has willful actors; it could just be a literal ocean that he wants to drown in. You're starting out with reading lyrical imagery, and then running with it to reinforce another, different metaphor, which is not necessarily implied by the author. Fine for you, read it how you want, but you must acknowledge that you think "covered in hope and vaseline" is an image of impotence when juxtaposed with the rest of the song, but that's not the way the rest of us will necessarily read it. Particularly not when you take the leap to saying the meaning is implied more strongly by the surrounding songs, when actually the song stands on its own. Do you also seriously think "fix this broken machine" is supposed to mean "get my (metaphorical, because this is a secondary metaphor subsiding within the primary metaphor of a broken machine) cock erect"? Fine for you. But this is a whole lot of post-hoc justification in order to say that anyone else, who doesn't necessarily see the metaphor you're trying to reach for, of course must be blindly ignorant for not seeing it all over the place.

Reznor has employed phallic imagery at great length (so to speak, w00t) since the very beginning of his career as Nine Inch Nails and has likewise used the metaphor and imagery of impotence to convey his feelings about his place within the music industry.
The metaphor of impotence is certainly something one can find in some of these songs, but this recurring "imagery of impotence" is where you're just confused. You can say "performance anxiety" is a great metaphor for his feelings about staying in the music industry, sure. But you then take a leap into wanky C-minus criticism when you make images that aren't really related to that into a vast web of metaphors underneath more songs than it exists in. Then you go ahead and assert that the author definitely meant it that way, it's blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain, etc. etc. etc. That's why I made the comment about you seeing limp dicks everywhere there weren't any; because sometimes (with apologies to Freud), an arm that flip-flops is just an arm that flip-flops.

allegro
09-13-2015, 09:20 AM
It's probably no accident that the first album is called "Pretty Hate Machine."

Read his "machine" lyrics in "The Becoming" on TDS, which song is not intended to be viewed as one song but as a part of a whole narrative within a concept album. That broken machine (former man) narrator is now present in TDS. He is made of circuitry and wires. His humanity is gone.

The Ruiner (machine) seeks power and there is plenty of Lucifer imagery (he wants to be equal to God in terms of power) and we even have a serpent (Reptile), although the Ruiner is the one with the tainted touch that makes angels bleed. (Religious imagery being present in all releases through TDS.)

Dr Channard
09-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Sometimes a limp dick is just a limp dick.

From the instructional video on spatula use, dos and don’ts....

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST
CONTAINS NSFW MATERIAL

http://i.imgur.com/T2JXf0L.gif

Does Trent allow his lyrics and imagery to be somewhat ambiguous so that each listener can find their own meaning in them, or is he mandating a hardline authorial intent that leaves no room for that sort of thing?

kattastrophic
09-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Does Trent allow his lyrics and imagery to be somewhat ambiguous so that each listener can find their own meaning in them, or is he mandating a hardline authorial intent that leaves no room for that sort of thing?
Every song is exclusively about limp dicks. Confirmed.
http://i.imgur.com/6CbxaPc.jpg

Wolfkiller
09-13-2015, 01:49 PM
If only Trent read this page from top to bottom... I'd kill to see the expression on his face.

Trent be like "if only they knew I wrote that in five minutes while taking a shit in the middle of watching Terminator."

Jesus you nerds. Do I have to say it again? Songs can be about more than just one subject. And unless anyone posting here regularly has his penis in Mariqueen, you aren't an authority and guessing like everyone else.

Go listen to Utada's album This Is The One. Skip the first song on your first listen, it doesn't fit the album very well.

Wolfkiller
09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
DOUBLE POST Hey did you guys ever think when Trent sings lyrics with the word Nothing they are secret nods to the record label? Now I'm Nothing, wink. What a sexy asshole.

Khrz
09-13-2015, 01:56 PM
And we are the nerds...

Dr Channard
09-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Every song is exclusively about limp dicks. Confirmed.
http://i.imgur.com/6CbxaPc.jpg

That much has been established, yes. But then we come to the more hard hitting... or should we say flaccid hitting question, what is the limp dick itself about? Is the limp dick in nin exclusively and unimpeachably about a thing of the authors choosing? Or is the limp dick meant to be a mirror into which any listener may peer and see a reflection, a meaning born entirely from his own thoughts? We must analyzing and delineate here, for understanding the limp dick is understanding nin.

sheepdean
09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
DOUBLE POST Hey did you guys ever think when Trent sings lyrics with the word Nothing they are secret nods to the record label? Now I'm Nothing, wink. What a sexy asshole.
Now I'm Nothing was first performed over a year before Nothing Records was formed.

allegro
09-13-2015, 02:42 PM
That much has been established, yes. But then we come to the more hard hitting... or should we say flaccid hitting question, what is the limp dick itself about? Is the limp dick in nin exclusively and unimpeachably about a thing of the authors choosing? Or is the limp dick meant to be a mirror into which any listener may peer and see a reflection, a meaning born entirely from his own thoughts? We must analyzing and delineate here, for understanding the limp dick is understanding nin.

Ohhhhhhhhh psychological reader response!!

Khrz
09-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Sometimes a limp dick is just a limp dick...

*Lights up a cigar*

Ryan
09-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Its official ya'll, ass holes are sexy.

Wolfkiller
09-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Now I'm Nothing was first performed over a year before Nothing Records was formed.

*scratches head* Uh... Nothing's turning out the way I planned?

kattastrophic
09-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Does anybody know what key A Violet Fluid is in? Need to know because I want to use it as the basis for a mashup

m15a
09-13-2015, 07:37 PM
And, no offense to your schooling (good for you!), but if you have a B.A. in English Literature and still can't see how lyrics like "all covered with hope and Vaseline, still cannot fix this broken machine, watching the hole, it used to mine" just MIGHT be an allusion to impotence, literally OR metaphorically, then, I mean, I don't know wtf to say, lol.

It might be an allusion to impotence. It might also be an allusion to constipation. It also might be about a time machine Trent invented that isn't working correctly. It might be also be about breaking up with Courtney Love (don't argue about the timeline - Trent built a time machine, remember?).

Just because all interpretation are possible but not certain, doesn't mean that all interpretations are equally valuable. Some are more convincingly supported with evidence than others. And some interpretations are just uninteresting.

sheepdean
09-13-2015, 08:16 PM
*scratches head* Uh... Nothing's turning out the way I planned?
I think more of his nothings refer to "nothing can stop me now" than the label tbh. If he had suddenly started using the word null in TS, maybe I'd agree but I think it's more general nihilism than a reference. And perhaps that itself is a reference to Now I'm Nothing, which is of course possibly what the label is named after. After all, Now I'm Nothing is NIN :P

allegro
09-13-2015, 11:36 PM
The studio was originally called Hot Snakes (http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/10/redevelopment-of-former-nine-inch-nails-recording-studio-stalled-by-parking-questions/).

(Insert more dick jokes here.)

screwdriver
09-14-2015, 12:18 PM
holy cow
for years I've never gotten around to listening to "dig it," I think out of laziness but also for fear of some sort of Oz moment where I would see that Trent was some sort of huge charlatan

well, I finally did
um, yeah, I clearly see the inspiration, but the songs are fucking night and day

lol

seasonsinthesky
09-14-2015, 04:53 PM
holy cow
for years I've never gotten around to listening to "dig it," I think out of laziness but also for fear of some sort of Oz moment where I would see that Trent was some sort of huge charlatan

well, I finally did
um, yeah, I clearly see the inspiration, but the songs are fucking night and day

lol

Same deal for AWP and "Crystal Japan" imo, although they specifically share one melody that's pretty much exactly the same.

eversonpoe
09-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Same deal for AWP and "Crystal Japan" imo, although they specifically share one melody that's pretty much exactly the same.

agreed.

now, "something i can never have" and "in my garden" by SWANS are a different story...

kattastrophic
09-14-2015, 06:15 PM
holy cow

well, I finally did

lol

I couldn't see how Trent said it was a ripoff, both are good songs yes but I don't feel any similarity at all

screwdriver
09-15-2015, 09:18 AM
agreed.

now, "something i can never have" and "in my garden" by SWANS are a different story...

ah dude, disagree. "in my garden" is pretty incidental to me, but "crystal japan" -- it's like, come on! :-)

WorzelG
09-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I couldn't see how Trent said it was a ripoff, both are good songs yes but I don't feel any similarity at all
I've read a bunch of interviews from around PHM time and he mentioned a lot about having no drummer but lifting various drum sounds from places and manipulating them as part of the album. I guess it was sampling? So I think a lot of the layers around the songs in PHM are lifted from various sources (also in DS wasn't the beat in Closer from the beat in Nightclubbing backwards or something? nobody complained about that) - personally I don't care as long as they are in service of a good song in its own right and not reliant on that particular bit

seasonsinthesky
09-15-2015, 12:07 PM
(also in DS wasn't the beat in Closer from the beat in Nightclubbing backwards or something? nobody complained about that)

Just the kickdrum, manipulated to hell. A great example of sampling without relying on the sample to drive the song.

screwdriver
09-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Just the kickdrum, manipulated to hell. A great example of sampling without relying on the sample to drive the song.

not really even manipulated that much

Khrz
09-15-2015, 02:07 PM
not really even manipulated that much

Yeah it's still pretty recognizable. Closer's beat is still creative enough to be its own thing, but once you've listened to both it's unmistakable.

screwdriver
09-15-2015, 03:18 PM
I've read a bunch of interviews from around PHM time and he mentioned a lot about having no drummer but lifting various drum sounds from places and manipulating them as part of the album. I guess it was sampling? So I think a lot of the layers around the songs in PHM are lifted from various sources (also in DS wasn't the beat in Closer from the beat in Nightclubbing backwards or something? nobody complained about that) - personally I don't care as long as they are in service of a good song in its own right and not reliant on that particular bit

no -- its definitely stylistically similar; the beat, the guitar, etc., it was clearly inspired by and I'll even say it probably started as a 'rip off' in a very loose sense. but like all good art, it started in one direction, found itself, and went a whole other direction.

Dr Channard
09-16-2015, 09:32 AM
From the 1:44 mark onward Another Version Of The Truth sounds like it would perfectly fit in on the Gone Girl score.

botley
09-16-2015, 12:14 PM
To be pedantic: it's a repeating motif in "A Warm Place" we're talking about, but only a small chunk of the longer top melody in "Crystal Japan" that continues further on before repeating. Looking at the two bits in isolation, the notes fall pretty squarely on the beat in "Crystal Japan", whereas the melody in "A Warm Place" is syncopated throughout, and only really closely resembles the more ornamented second repeat of the "Crystal Japan" phrase (otherwise, they diverge after the first seven notes, which are repeated each time in both songs' phrases).

Also, after the middle section of "A Warm Place", the song modulates down a whole tone, and recapitulates the melody in a different key entirely before changing the final notes on the very last repeat so that they resolve into the new tonic chord (one of Reznor's classical harmony gambits). So you could say they aren't that similar after all, but people have been called plagiarists for less. There's also a little bit at the end of "Crystal Japan" that kinda reminds me of John Williams' "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" motif, but who's counting?

elevenism
09-16-2015, 01:59 PM
It's probably no accident that the first album is called "Pretty Hate Machine."

Read his "machine" lyrics in "The Becoming" on TDS, which song is not intended to be viewed as one song but as a part of a whole narrative within a concept album. That broken machine (former man) narrator is now present in TDS. He is made of circuitry and wires. His humanity is gone.

Holy shit, yes.
I've kind of, in the back of my mind, wondered what the fuck pretty hate machine meant since i was about twelve years old (so for 23 years.)
I always kind of thought it was just a random association of interesting words.

I like your interpretation a lot.
Do you guys have other ideas about it?

I honestly don't really have one.

BenAkenobi
09-16-2015, 03:40 PM
I always kind of thought it was just a random association of interesting words.

Do you guys have other ideas about it?

You see, interesting words aren't really random. It's not the way we think. We mostly think in our native language, and words usually are grouped by something common.
The phrase "nine inch nails" is not random because there's a number followed by unit of measurement followed by a lengthy item.
We also like to use synonyms and antonyms, the phrases like "hot sun" and "cold light" both make sense to us.
The way we construct "new" phrases relies heavily on logical connections between words.
In general, we don't name new things after things we know that don't have similar meaning (there's a stronger reason for calling a social network "face book" rather than "fish market", for example).
The way "pretty hate machine" is made up is not random too. It can be viewed as a pun, an allegory, an oxymoron.
machine is easily traced to "nails" in because it has common meaning of building something, because of common material (metal), because it can be dangerous.
I personally think of "pretty hate machine" as an euphemism for "pretty woman" (check album's subject matter)

sheepdean
09-16-2015, 04:12 PM
I personally think of "pretty hate machine" as an euphemism for "pretty woman" (check album's subject matter)
So you're saying NIN needs to cover Roy Orbison

pcpunk
09-16-2015, 04:51 PM
i'm fine with that. in fact, i'd love trent to do a Pin-Ups style covers album. we kind of got that with the collaborations he did with peter murphy, but i'd love something done in studio and properly mastered, etc.

Ryan
09-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Danzig's upcoming release of Skeletons (covers record) is partly inspired by Bowie's Pin Ups. Hell, Glenn wrote Life Fades Away and Roy sang it, Trent oughta cover that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjB1X-cqsM

Ryan
09-16-2015, 06:27 PM
You see, interesting words aren't really random. It's not the way we think. We mostly think in our native language, and words usually are grouped by something common.
The phrase "nine inch nails" is not random because there's a number followed by unit of measurement followed by a lengthy item.
We also like to use synonyms and antonyms, the phrases like "hot sun" and "cold light" both make sense to us.
The way we construct "new" phrases relies heavily on logical connections between words.
In general, we don't name new things after things we know that don't have similar meaning (there's a stronger reason for calling a social network "face book" rather than "fish market", for example).
The way "pretty hate machine" is made up is not random too. It can be viewed as a pun, an allegory, an oxymoron.
machine is easily traced to "nails" in because it has common meaning of building something, because of common material (metal), because it can be dangerous.

"I beat my machine," I always interpreted as Trent beating off his mechanical dick since "it's a part of me, it's inside of me."

seasonsinthesky
09-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Tracing "pretty hate machine" through Broken and TDS uses of "machine" only makes sense if TR is calling himself the pretty hate machine. Unless you wanna argue they're from the perspective of the women he whines about on PHM.

Or the pretty hate machine is a drug: nice on the outside, but turns you horrible.

Or both. And neither.

allegro
09-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Yup, me too. But in a baaaaaad way, lol.

Reznor seems to use the term "machine" to reference humans in the state of being un-human, sub-human, android, whatever; uncaring, unfeeling.

Then he becomes the very thing he hates / fears.

A broken (hurt) machine is even worse; it's useless. In order to "fix" himself, the protagonist seeks power, even if it leads to his own destruction. For a brief moment, he wants the memory of a former g/f ("Annie") to bring him back to his humanity before he completely slips away into his "circuitry."

I always figured this was like Borg assimilation, lol.

You could also look at it from the "Ghost in the Machine (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_in_the_Machine)" standpoint.

Dr Channard
09-16-2015, 10:39 PM

I’ll admit that Trent is the man and everything, but covering Roy? Orbison’s voice was a national treasure. The guy was in a league of his own and it would almost be unfair for anyone to have to cover any vocal performance of his. Having said that, I would be intrigued to hear Trent in his prime take Running Scared and give it hell.

BenAkenobi
09-17-2015, 12:21 AM
No, that never occurred to me, you went the simple road and grasped at a familiar song title. Maybe it would'be been better to use another equivalent of "woman".
Look at it as a coincidence and another example of just a random-but-not-so-random word combination.
You know, like an atomic bomb has nothing to do with a mushroom, it's just a shape of explosion
(and i'm certainly not a fan of going into topics such as "list of songs NIN needs to cover")

Tracing "pretty hate machine" through Broken and TDS uses of "machine" only makes sense if TR is calling himself the pretty hate machine. Unless you wanna argue they're from the perspective of the women he whines about on PHM.

Or the pretty hate machine is a drug: nice on the outside, but turns you horrible.

Or both. And neither.
Yes, i was going to add, "hate machine" can be treated as:
machine made of hate,
machine i hate,
machine that hates me.

Sensory overload.

Dr Channard
09-18-2015, 08:56 AM
The Black Noise finale on HM feels similar to me to the last 30 second or so outro of The Four of Us are Dying.

r_k_f
09-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Never realized how similar the melody in this was to Closer.. More noticeable in this more recent version of the song compared to the original..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgVz7iEFvY

WorzelG
09-21-2015, 08:25 AM
^^^really not hearing that although I only listened to about 5 mins of it. What part of the melody particularly?

r_k_f
09-21-2015, 09:06 AM
that little synth melody is similar to the Closer breakdown... it's a bit faster, and a lil bit different.. but similar none the less.

Bachy
09-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Trent's been awfully quiet lately.

Wolfkiller
09-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Why does no one talk about how great Rob Sheridan was in American Beauty?

eversonpoe
09-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Why does no one talk about how great Rob Sheridan was in American Beauty?

hahahaha i've always thought he and wes bently looked really similar (though rob is much less...intense)

Sarah K
09-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I was at a party the other night, and a girl was suspended in a very similar position to what Trent's body looks like when he's spinning around in the Closer video. She was being spun around. Then Closer started fucking playing.

Life imitating art!

Bachy
09-23-2015, 11:13 AM
I don't know what I am. I don't know where I've been. Human junk, just words and so much skin. Stick my hands through the cage of this endless routine. Just some flesh caught in this big broken machine.

eversonpoe
09-24-2015, 07:50 AM
i've said a few times in various places that i don't like year zero, save for a couple songs. it's been at least 5 years since i've listened to it all the way through, possibly even more. i was very lukewarm to it upon its release 8 years ago, and i guess i never got over that.

so, yesterday, i listened to the album in full (i didn't even skip capital G!) for the first time in forever, and i actually really enjoyed it.

some stray observations:

• hyperpower is a really great opener, and though i like the beginning of the end, i feel like it drags the energy back down.
• vessel is fucking fantastic. it was always one of the stand-out tracks to me, and i still love it. it's like...scary and sexy at the same time.
• i hate capital G way less than i used to, but i still don't really like it. i think it's all about the vocals/lyrics, because the music sounds like a Mechanical Animals b-side (which is a good thing, despite being 10 years late). there's an instrumental version of the whole album floating around, right?
• i really don't like the warning. something about the shifting nature of the main melody makes me feel uncomfortable.
• the bass/guitar tones in general on the album are great. especially in meet your master, when that heavy, distorted bass comes in during the bridge. that's the tone i'm always trying to get out of my distorted bass.
• starting to regret selling my vinyl copy, even though it made someone else very happy. :|

Bachy
09-24-2015, 10:29 AM
i've said a few times in various places that i don't like year zero, save for a couple songs. it's been at least 5 years since i've listened to it all the way through, possibly even more. i was very lukewarm to it upon its release 8 years ago, and i guess i never got over that.

so, yesterday, i listened to the album in full (i didn't even skip capital G!) for the first time in forever, and i actually really enjoyed it.

some stray observations:

• hyperpower is a really great opener, and though i like the beginning of the end, i feel like it drags the energy back down.
• vessel is fucking fantastic. it was always one of the stand-out tracks to me, and i still love it. it's like...scary and sexy at the same time.
• i hate capital G way less than i used to, but i still don't really like it. i think it's all about the vocals/lyrics, because the music sounds like a Mechanical Animals b-side (which is a good thing, despite being 10 years late). there's an instrumental version of the whole album floating around, right?
• i really don't like the warning. something about the shifting nature of the main melody makes me feel uncomfortable.
• the bass/guitar tones in general on the album are great. especially in meet your master, when that heavy, distorted bass comes in during the bridge. that's the tone i'm always trying to get out of my distorted bass.
• starting to regret selling my vinyl copy, even though it made someone else very happy. :|

YZ definitely grows on you. When I first started listening to NIN, I was skipping over Survivalism and Me, I'm Not. Love them both now, and Me, I'm Not has crawled into my Top 10 NIN tracks.

eversonpoe
09-24-2015, 10:52 AM
YZ definitely grows on you. When I first started listening to NIN, I was skipping over Survivalism and Me, I'm Not. Love them both now, and Me, I'm Not has crawled into my Top 10 NIN tracks.

funny, those are two of the songs i ALWAYS liked on the album.

Bachy
09-24-2015, 10:56 PM
funny, those are two of the songs i ALWAYS liked on the album.

I think it's because it was when I was first really getting into NIN. In 2008, I decided to really delve into Trent's catalog, and I started listening to everything and anything NIN. Year Zero at the time was just so vastly different from everything else that it just made it tougher for me to really appreciate it or even recognize it as NIN (if that makes sense). It wasn't until I started reading about the ARG that I really became mesmerized by the whole album.

|mando|
09-25-2015, 02:12 PM

I recently started to list my collection on Discogs, and learned that my Year Zero vinyl that I paid $40 (which is still sealed) for on release is now worth at least $140?? What the hell happened there?

I don't plan on selling it, but it was really cool knowing that it's gotten high in price (for me! not so much for others ...)

eversonpoe
09-25-2015, 02:53 PM
I recently started to list my collection on Discogs, and learned that my Year Zero vinyl that I paid $40 (which is still sealed) for on release is now worth at least $140?? What the hell happened there?

I don't plan on selling it, but it was really cool knowing that it's gotten high in price (for me! not so much for others ...)

yeah, mine was opened but unplayed and i sold it to someone on the board for well below the current market price because i didn't want to screw anyone over, i just wanted someone to be able to enjoy the album. wish i had realized sooner that i actually like it :|

|mando|
09-25-2015, 03:13 PM
yeah, mine was opened but unplayed and i sold it to someone on the board for well below the current market price because i didn't want to screw anyone over, i just wanted someone to be able to enjoy the album. wish i had realized sooner that i actually like it :|

Well, at least you did a pretty cool thing for another fan. Back in '07 or '08, I had a friend on here who sold me a really nice copy of With Teeth on vinyl for like, $25. He's not around here anymore, unfortunately, but I probably won't ever forget it.

I believe in the same thing - I buy / collect / play vinyl (occasionally :P) for my own pleasure, not to turn a profit. I wish I could find TDS or TF vinyl for anywhere near a reasonable price, but I'm hoping that they will be repressed in the coming years.

kattastrophic
09-25-2015, 03:33 PM

I always liked Survivalism but it took a while for Me, I'm Not to grow on me. God Given as well.

misternegative
09-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Well, at least you did a pretty cool thing for another fan. Back in '07 or '08, I had a friend on here who sold me a really nice copy of With Teeth on vinyl for like, $25. He's not around here anymore, unfortunately, but I probably won't ever forget it.

I believe in the same thing - I buy / collect / play vinyl (occasionally :P) for my own pleasure, not to turn a profit. I wish I could find TDS or TF vinyl for anywhere near a reasonable price, but I'm hoping that they will be repressed in the coming years.

TDS is pretty readily available where I am (Midwestern USA). I believe they're usually sold for about $30, the average vinyl price you see in most stores.

TF, however, is much harder to find. I found a copy in some small record store for about $150 myself.

WorzelG
09-26-2015, 01:29 AM
I think it's because it was when I was first really getting into NIN. In 2008, I decided to really delve into Trent's catalog, and I started listening to everything and anything NIN. Year Zero at the time was just so vastly different from everything else that it just made it tougher for me to really appreciate it or even recognize it as NIN (if that makes sense). It wasn't until I started reading about the ARG that I really became mesmerized by the whole album.
It's funny, because I got into NIN just before Broken was released I can't imagine what it would be like to suddenly get into them now and have the whole back catalogue to process like I did with Led Zeppelin. It makes me wonder how my mind would change about each album

Frolick Shiawase
09-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Speaking about Year Zero... A while back ago now a local radio played Capital G (needless to say I screamed in delight) but it had a spoken intro almost like a speech...
I cannot find for the life of me a version that has one... It seemed like part of the ARG or something, and I've been trying to dig up more information about that to no avail.
Anyone knows anything about that?

Microwave Jellyfish
09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
It's one of those (simple yet) great NIN tracks that never got the recognition they deserved. Trent's - probably - unintentionally hilarious "tickin' tickin' tickin'" mantra (that somehow always finishes with something that sounds more like "chicken chi-keeeeeeen") aside it's one of the most hypnotizing live songs.

Dr Channard
09-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Since YZ seems to be getting some love here, I’ll champion Meet Your Master/The Greater Good. Great stuff.

blassster
09-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Since YZ seems to be getting some love here, I’ll champion Meet Your Master/The Greater Good. Great stuff.
MYM distorted bass so sexy

hani
09-29-2015, 12:33 PM

OH MY GOD i am so glad someone said that. i always thought this song was very sexual, almost animal-like, but i never told anyone because it's also really creepy and i was like "ok it's just me being a pervert"

It's one of those (simple yet) great NIN tracks that never got the recognition they deserved. Trent's - probably - unintentionally hilarious "tickin' tickin' tickin'" mantra (that somehow always finishes with something that sounds more like "chicken chi-keeeeeeen") aside it's one of the most hypnotizing live songs.

it's actually one of my favs from YT. back in the day I used to cover that song A LOT during my live shows.

ghostaustin
09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
When YZ came out I was pretty much obsessed with it, listening to the album every day for about 6 months haha. I've always thought My Violent Heart would make an awesome concert opener, it's one of my all time favorite songs.

sweeterthan
09-29-2015, 04:10 PM
I was obsessed with year zero too. I don't understand how any nin fan can not like it. Reznor was truly inspired when he made that record. It's solid in concept and execution. God given & capital g were instant favorites for me. In this twilight could be my favorite nin song ever. The record as a whole, to me, is a masterpiece.

Scarlet Siren
10-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Not sure where else to put this.

I'm into Things Falling Apart at the moment. So.... http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/c23ff567f398c923e7227e173ff451cf.jpg

Made sense to me :)

Halo Infinity
10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, nor do I ever remember there being a thread about Nine Inch Nails mash-ups. Anyway, I just thought that this mash-up between Down In It and Dancing Crazy by Miranda Cosgrove was very catchy, fun and cute to listen to. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWDBWL8jT8

Microwave Jellyfish
10-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Not sure where else to put this.

I'm into Things Falling Apart at the moment. So....
I misread SUN as SOON.

kattastrophic
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
The first time I heard Gave Up, it was in 7th grade through the Broken movie. Any time I tried listening to it for a year after, I still got chills.
To this day, I associate the bridge synth with a chainsaw...

blassster
10-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I've always wanted to get the Starfuckers multitracks and hear the drunks in isolation. I think you can hear one in a single part on the first SF TFI remix at 2m30s, at least I'm assuming that's what it was.

katara
10-10-2015, 04:05 AM
I've always wanted to get the Starfuckers multitracks and hear the drunks in isolation. I think you can hear one in a single part on the first SF TFI remix at 2m30s, at least I'm assuming that's what it was.
There are a few 'sample' multitracks floating around the Internet. Not sure if this link still works, but there's a zip at the bottom of this page: http://ninremixes.com/multitracks.php
Not that this helps you at all; there are no drunks here!

implanted_microchip
10-10-2015, 04:56 AM
The first time I heard Gave Up, it was in 7th grade through the Broken movie. Any time I tried listening to it for a year after, I still got chills.
To this day, I associate the bridge synth with a chainsaw...

I'm actually really happy the Broken movie didn't get an official release because if that'd been the first exposure to NIN for a lot of people, I think it would've put a lot of them off, and having it be the weird underground mythical thing that is now makes it infinitely more interesting and gives it a far cooler feel to it.

sheepdean
10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm actually really happy the Broken movie didn't get an official release because if that'd been the first exposure to NIN for a lot of people, I think it would've put a lot of them off, and having it be the weird underground mythical thing that is now makes it infinitely more interesting and gives it a far cooler feel to it.
Eh, but many people do want to see it and can't because it's locked behind software they may not have, or sites that are illegal to access in their country (some places ban torrent sites). I see no reason not to release Broken tbh, there's worse things out there and no one will have that as their first NIN experience, let's be honest.

Khrz
10-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Plus there's a lot more context now that make sense out of it. On one hand it's regrettable, since the whole thrill was about not being sure what the hell that movie was really made of, but as you said, there's far worse shit out there nowadays than a bit of S/M, torture and old school industrial...

blassster
10-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Always liked the red room remix of THTF. First time seeing this video paired with it... it's kind of annoying, didn't watch it all but after 2:15 there's a comical bit with Trent and Jeordie.
https://youtu.be/j3X1AM-_iSI

cashpiles (closed)
10-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I smell new NIN on the horizon. Let's set the date for late Spring 2016. This album will be a radical departure from Hesitation Marks and will feature acoustic guitars and hip hop drum pads.

Another difference will be that it will feature multiple characters and perspectives, with a de-emphasis on the first person.

Vertigo
10-11-2015, 01:56 AM
No fart noise samples?

implanted_microchip
10-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Eh, but many people do want to see it and can't because it's locked behind software they may not have, or sites that are illegal to access in their country (some places ban torrent sites). I see no reason not to release Broken tbh, there's worse things out there and no one will have that as their first NIN experience, let's be honest.

Well, I'm talking about 1992/3 when it was made. Now, sure, it wouldn't be a big deal and no one would really care at all, but at the time when there were a whole two main NIN releases and that would've been the companion to one of them, that's a different story.

In my own experience (as opposed to someone else's) the whole mystique around it and interest in it came from it being this weird, underground, banned or unreleased, hard to find thing that had all these stories of VHS tape trading and blocked sections and just weird rumors surrounding it was what made it interesting to me. I'm sure I'm not totally alone on that, regardless.

I doubt it'll ever get any commercial release though, Trent could not seem less interested in that time period and there'd be very little incentive in releasing it for any purpose besides completion's sake.

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a bonus feature on the Tension/2014 blu ray.

BRoswell
10-11-2015, 09:49 AM

What sucks is that Rob Sheridan uploaded it to Vimeo a couple years ago, but apparently it was too intense for them. I find that kind of amusing though considering some of the things they have allowed in the past.

I think the only way we'll see it officially released is if Trent re-issues Broken/Fixed (or if he plops it onto Apple Music, tee hee). Seeing as how he still hasn't delivered the FIRST re-issue that he promised, I doubt that'll happen any time soon. :p

kattastrophic
10-11-2015, 11:02 AM
But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a bonus feature on the Tension/2014 blu ray.

so basically, it's never getting released?

Shadaloo
10-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Had a lunch with a friend who's been going through some very tough times today. We went to this little secluded cafe with some nice doughnuts and just shot the shit about life and misery, and how people sometimes have the incredible ability to, when staring into the abyss, ignore it, let it consume them, or tap into that dark place, and create something with it. Sometimes something beautiful.

'Hurt' then comes on whatever radio station the cafe's playing (It had been preceded by Tears For Fears and Alice In Chains, as an aside).

We just made eye contact for a few seconds without saying anything, and nodded. Surreal, but a nice moment.

sheepdean
10-11-2015, 06:30 PM
so basically, it's never getting released?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

Patrick_Nicholas
10-11-2015, 08:03 PM

I sometimes feel this way about the Closure DVD, but mostly due to a personal experience from ten years ago. I was attending a religious school at the time and I told my class I was going to see NIN as my first concert, completely unaware that NIN had been branded "Satanic" around those parts. My teacher was shocked and started describing the "Closer" video. Not helped that the previous year, another teacher showed an anti-rock propaganda video that included NIN (which I assume came out around TDS-era). I'm sure some of you can figure out how that affected my remaining three and a half years.

Basically I think what was shown in Closure is what some people would forever associate NIN with, not helped that the era also introduced the world to Marilyn Manson (which my own brother tormented me over based on those bullshit rumors that we've all heard). But maybe I'm wrong, and they're probably not going to give a shit now that the age of YouTube and Hesitation Marks can clarify that there is much more to NIN/TR than the "bad" stuff that can be used to justify spending four years giving a fan hell. (Though there were some who knew nothing about NIN, but went along with what others were saying just because.)

Of course: I don't really consider any of that stuff particularly "bad" (TDS is my avatar for a reason) and I'm well aware that there is much, much worse (which I started deliberately seeking over the course of those years).

mauro995
10-12-2015, 03:11 PM
I would like so much to have a soundboard recording of a show from the Further Down The Spiral Tour... This is the closest thing I've found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k6bqZNeKUI

sheepdean
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
I would like so much to have a soundboard recording of a show from the Further Down The Spiral Tour... This is the closest thing I've found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k6bqZNeKUI
Why FDTS? There's soundboard recordings of the era, but why that specific tour?

And soundboard recordings are often considered a major faux pas as artists despise those getting out. Even good ol' ninlive doesn't have many - plus they normally don't sound great, as the audio is meant to be heard with audience feedback.

mauro995
10-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Why FDTS? There's soundboard recordings of the era, but why that specific tour?

And soundboard recordings are often considered a major faux pas as artists despise those getting out. Even good ol' ninlive doesn't have many - plus they normally don't sound great, as the audio is meant to be heard with audience feedback.

Well I like the setlist of the FDTS leg much more than the ones that they played before on the self destruct tour. For example, de Woodstock 94 performance is amazing but I miss Eraser, Mr. Self Destruct, Gave Up...

sheepdean
10-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Well I like the setlist of the FDTS leg much more than the ones that they played before on the self destruct tour. For example, de Woodstock 94 performance is amazing but I miss Eraser, Mr. Self Destruct, Gave Up...
Gave Up is on the SB recording from the Dissonance tour, if you want to piecemeal together a set :P http://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

mauro995
10-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Gave Up is on the SB recording from the Dissonance tour, if you want to piecemeal together a set :P http://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

I already knew that recording, the truth is that it is wonderful (I'm also a big Bowie fan). Still not the same as a setlist of FDTS but the truth is that I should not complain so much with so many recordings and concert footage around there hahaha.

GibbonBlack
10-12-2015, 09:48 PM

So do they record it differently for live CDs/DVDs/Blurays?

piggy
10-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Yes, they put special mics in the audience when they are recording for a commercial release. This is added in with all the stage audio for the final mix.

sheepdean
10-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Addition of crowd audio, some mics for recording specifically what the sound is like from multiple points and mixing for consumer experience. IEM/SB audio is just the performance.

eversonpoe
10-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Yes, they put special mics in the audience when they are recording for a commercial release. This is added in with all the stage audio for the final mix.

Addition of crowd audio, some mics for recording specifically what the sound is like from multiple points and mixing for consumer experience. IEM/SB audio is just the performance.

also, soundboard recordings typically aren't multitrack, they're just stereo out from the board. so what you're hearing is what would be coming out of the main speakers. the problem with that is that the loudest thing coming out of the speakers is the vocals, since they're the quietest on the stage, so straight soundboard recordings tend to be very heavy on vocals (and backing tracks) and light on instruments.

besides adding mics for crowd noise/the room, they would also split all of the inputs to the board so that everything can be recorded in multi-track format in order to avoid the vast level difference. that way it can be mixed properly later.

implanted_microchip
10-16-2015, 02:41 PM
The TTA of Even Deeper is so underrated, it's a shame it wasn't on Things Falling Apart. One of my top official remixes. So gorgeous.

blassster
10-16-2015, 04:44 PM
The thingsfallingapart.com mix of Even Deeper is so underrated, it's a shame it wasn't on the remix album. One of my top official remixes. So gorgeous.
Telefon Tel Aviv remix?

eversonpoe
10-16-2015, 05:25 PM
The thingsfallingapart.com mix of Even Deeper is so underrated, it's a shame it wasn't on the remix album. One of my top official remixes. So gorgeous.

Telefon Tel Aviv remix?

Even Deeper (Telefon Tel Aviv Love Dub)? it's on the Remixes Complied CD by TTA

wizfan
10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Three thoughts, one post.
kleiner352, thingsfallingapart.com had mixes of The New Flesh and an Untitled song, not Even Deeper. Are you referring to one of these, or TTA's Love Dub Mix?

The discussion about soundboard audio reminded me of a quote from teitan: "If you're stealing from the in-ear monitor mix, you are a CUNT."

Sorting through my NIN fan-made DVD collection and almost all of them misspell Justin Meldal-Johnsen's name as "Justin Meldal-Johnson". Heheheh.

sick among the pure
10-17-2015, 10:32 PM
The discussion about soundboard audio reminded me of a quote from teitan: "If you're stealing from the in-ear monitor mix, you are a CUNT."

Ah, the good ol days when papa Trent teitan would come bitch at us. Made me feel... like he really cared :)

BenAkenobi
10-18-2015, 02:04 AM
(Broken video)

What sucks is that Rob Sheridan uploaded it to Vimeo a couple years ago, but apparently it was too intense for them. I find that kind of amusing though considering some of the things they have allowed in the past...

Speaking of which, has anyone archived that vimeo file, just in case?

Krazy
10-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Random wishful thinking thought: I hope TR is working with Apple to create the next incredible NIN tour production.

Yes, I fully understand there may never be another tour. One of the reasons I'm making this post though is what could NIN/TR do from a production stand point if there was another arena tour. Technology has caught up and any band playing in arena type venues has some sort of set up that includes LED screens with real time video displaying.

Carry/flame on...

EDIT: I think NIN withdrawal just hit me pretty hard recently. :/

jubilee
10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
I am so thankful that Me, I'm not and The Great Destroyer made a comeback on the 2014 tours. They both sound and look amazing live and in a way I see them as another type of NIN music (for lack of a better phrase). In the same way that perhaps TDS and Ghosts are separate in terms of what they set out to acheive musically and thematically, I see these two songs as being two outliers in the NIN catalog. Perhaps alongside them you could see other YZ tracks being similar but those two songs live and the methods by which they are performed give me all-sorts of fantastic feelings.
North + Slide Guitar x (Trent + Alessandro) = Highlight of the past.

kattastrophic
10-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone archived that vimeo file, just in case?

Not Vimeo, but it is still on vk.com (http://vk.com/video11597398_164820263)

BenAkenobi
10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
That's cool, but streaming feels less "genuine" than a download, in this particular case ;)

Hazekiah
10-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Not Vimeo, but it is still on vk.com (http://vk.com/video11597398_164820263)

Firstly, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Can't WAIT to wake my gf up with THIS, lol.

That said, WAIT WAT.

Is that REALLY a reposting of the official NIN vimeo upload? Does the OFFICIAL, non-VHS version of Broken actually have the Closure video for "Help Me I am in Hell" instead of the black screen on the old, underground tapes which were circulated back in the day?

o_O

BRoswell
10-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Is that REALLY a reposting of the official NIN vimeo upload? Does the OFFICIAL, non-VHS version of Broken actually have the Closure video for "Help Me I am in Hell" instead of the black screen on the old, underground tapes which were circulated back in the day?

It sure does.

Hazekiah
10-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Well, okay, thanks...that's cool, too!

Which leads me to my NEXT question.

Is it true that the original, VHS copies of Broken had a hidden video for "Help Me I am in Hell," buried "beneath" the black screen?

I'm thinking not. I always heard what I'd assumed was a baseless rumor, that if you adjusted the brightness/contrast/etc. enough you'd find a hidden video (and struggled for WEEKS to find it), but seeing the official video fill in that space makes me wonder.

Anyone else ever hear that rumor and/or confirm/deny?

sheepdean
10-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Well, okay, thanks...that's cool, too!

Which leads me to my NEXT question.

Is it true that the original, VHS copies of Broken had a hidden video for "Help Me I am in Hell," buried "beneath" the black screen?

I'm thinking not. I always heard what I'd assumed was a baseless rumor, that if you adjusted the brightness/contrast/etc. enough you'd find a hidden video (and struggled for WEEKS to find it), but seeing the official video fill in that space makes me wonder.

Anyone else ever hear that rumor and/or confirm/deny?
Yeah that's bullshit, sorry.
The original bootlegs were copies of copies of versions never meant for commercial usage, there was nothing clever going on in them.

Though if we ever get a DVD version, it'd be nice for there to be a VHS rip as a bonus feature, for comparison's sake.

seasonsinthesky
10-23-2015, 12:55 PM
I thought the blank HMIAIH space is the "watermark" that told TR who had leaked it to bootleggers.

sheepdean
10-23-2015, 12:57 PM
I thought the blank HMIAIH space is the "watermark" that told TR who had leaked it to bootleggers.
I believe he simply left markers in each copy of it (length of time of black, where a burn pops up etc) like filmmakers do for cinema copies of films.

Hazekiah
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Cool, like I said, I wasn't exactly heavily invested in the rumor or anything, lol. I just had lots of fun watching it over and over while twiddling knobs on the TV, w00t.

And, yeah, I heard something about the VHS copies containing "watermarks," too! Any definitive word on that?

Curious about exactly what "burn pops up" refers to as well, while we're at it.

o_O

BenAkenobi
10-23-2015, 02:55 PM
I think "burn" in this context means a brief distortion in the video signal caused by tape wear or a flawed recording, right?

seasonsinthesky
10-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Burns are the little black dots at the top corner of the frame when reaching the end of a film reel. It's the cue for the old timey movie theatre guy to swap reels on time. Like they talk about in Fight Club.

This may not be specifically what sheepy meant, though. I think he just meant that the tapes would have specific damage that was associated with the person it was sent to.

Hazekiah
10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm old so I'm familiar with THOSE, of course.

But I'm pretty sure Broken is 100% video (would-be MTV videos notwithstanding), so I'd highly doubt reel-to-reel action was a factor, even way back when.

Sooo...???

blassster
10-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Cool, like I said, I wasn't exactly heavily invested in the rumor or anything, lol. I just had lots of fun watching it over and over while twiddling knobs on the TV, w00t.

And, yeah, I heard something about the VHS copies containing "watermarks," too! Any definitive word on that?

Curious about exactly what "burn pops up" refers to as well, while we're at it.

o_O
The end of the answer:
http://www.nin.wiki/images/7/72/5_07_04questions3.gif

Wolfkiller
10-23-2015, 10:53 PM
I thought the "burn" in Broken was determined by which music video was blacked out. I remember reading in those old alt.nin.net f.a.q.s the bootleg version was floating around and there was no video for Help Me I'm In Hell (I think? Maybe it was Happiness In Slavery)

Hazekiah
10-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Hmm. Interesting! So the video for "Help Me I am in Hell" potentially existed early enough to have been included in Broken but the version leaked by Gibby (Haynes? Must be, lol) just happened to be the version with THAT particular video blacked out. That actually makes a lot of sense.

BRoswell
10-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Hmm. Interesting! So the video for "Help Me I am in Hell" potentially existed early enough to have been included in Broken but the version leaked by Gibby (Haynes? Must be, lol) just happened to be the version with THAT particular video blacked out. That actually makes a lot of sense.

There's no "potentially". The video was filmed for the Broken Movie. But yeah, my guess is that whatever copies Trent gave out had at least one of the videos blacked out, and on the leaked copy, it just happened to be Help Me I Am In Hell.

Hazekiah
10-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Well, unless someone can show me an alternate, old VHS leak of Broken with the video for "Help Me I am in Hell," or possibly some timestamped onset pix or w/e, then it's possible that the video was filmed at any point between '92 and '97, when Closure was released and we all finally learned that there was indeed a video for the song, after all.

That's what I meant by "potentially."

But, yeah, it sounds like it probably existed way back when and just happened to be the video dropped from the leaked version of the film.

BRoswell
10-24-2015, 10:21 AM
...then it's possible that the video was filmed at any point between '92 and '97...

Except it's not possible, because the video aired on TV (late at night ala Closer) around the time Broken came out, and was shot by the same people who shot the video for Pinion.

botley
10-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I seem to remember the "official" version posted by Sheridan also skipped HMIAIH?

BenAkenobi
10-24-2015, 11:11 AM
That's why i asked if anyone backed up the video, you never know with those guys: they could have been slightly different edits and we might stitch together best parts... or whatever

BRoswell
10-24-2015, 12:09 PM
I seem to remember the "official" version posted by Sheridan also skipped HMIAIH?

Nope. It was in there. Same version that was released on The Pirate Bay.

Halo Infinity
10-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Except it's not possible, because the video aired on TV (late at night ala Closer) around the time Broken came out, and was shot by the same people who shot the video for Pinion.
I also remember seeing the Broken movie showing the year 1993 on it, and then I just assumed that both versions have existed since 1993. I'd also still guess that it was definitely recorded between 1992-1993 since Broken was released very late in the year and if it came out in 1993, they were probably in the middle of working on it in very late 1992 as well.

Microwave Jellyfish
10-28-2015, 08:06 AM
I got into the habit of quoting "Something's gonna get BROKEEEEEN" when the PC starts acting up at work. It seems to know its an empty threat though.

sweeterthan
10-28-2015, 08:11 AM
I got into the habit of quoting "Something's gonna get BROKEEEEEN" when the PC starts acting up at work. It seems to know its an empty threat though.

Let us remember that glorious fit:
http://youtu.be/o0LXZ1nnpzs

Halo Infinity
10-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Hearing the crowd sing the chorus after the happened also made me smile. Not just because of them keeping up with the song as well as fan adoration/dedication, but I also sometimes thought of it as, "No, I'm not going to let that part take the moment away from me/us." :)

I also thought that this video of Reptile was worth referencing too. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KftfNWUCiU

Halo Infinity
10-31-2015, 12:59 AM
What a perfect day to watch Broken. :D I was also just reminded yet again, that the colors used on album art for Broken are perfect for Halloween. :)

For quite some time, I actually thought that okapi was going to catch on and become the new porpoise. Even if YTMND isn't as much as of thing as it was back in the mid-late 2000s, I could certainly imagine it working very well on YTMND, or perhaps Vine instead. :p

Bachy
11-01-2015, 01:39 PM
NIN is the only band where a song can skip and it still sounds good.

wizfan
11-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Into the Void has become my new favorite NIN song. I had found it a bit jarring the first time I heard it, since all those instruments would sound too weird to me back then. It slowly grew on me over the years. And, after I listened to the Apple Music instrumental, it suddenly hit me: this song is a bloody compositional GENIUS. Most NIN songs have this rich, layered sound, but ItV blows me away by the layers of MELODIES that are stacked together. Each one has its own different rhythm, but it all flows together beautifully. The other track that always caught me off-guard rhythm wise was Underneath it All (the extended intro in the instrumental version helped me understand it better, though).

eversonpoe
11-02-2015, 01:54 PM
NIN is the only band where a song can skip and it still sounds good.

clearly you've never heard autechre :p haha

Bachy
11-03-2015, 02:16 PM
It feels like this is the quietest NIN has been from a news standpoint since 2011-12. I keep forgetting we got the Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals just a few months ago.

blassster
11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Sometimes I stroll around the house (horribly) whistling the heart monitor type synth from The Eater of Dreams.

wizfan
11-04-2015, 08:10 PM
A perfect cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfTXIrKaLQ

Ryan
11-04-2015, 09:25 PM
A perfect cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbtUC9oVThg

botley
11-05-2015, 12:11 AM
That's Vika Yermolyeva (http://www.vkgoeswild.com), she's (successfully, it seems) crowd-funding her debut studio album — hopefully a proper recording of that will be on it. If you follow that link to her site there is sheet music for that transcription as well as some awesome videos of her performing live with Brian Viglione (from the Dresden Dolls, Ghosts I–IV, Violent Femmes, etc.)

Here's their NIN medley (HTTP://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyOSr84KTOw)

Substance242
11-07-2015, 03:18 PM
I've had an interesting/terrible idea - what if Trent already DID release some new music... but under different name, without telling anybody. Maybe fully instrumental, maybe different singer(s), (somewhat) different style (e.g. I was thinking myself about music based completely on vocals, just digitally manipulated to hell beyond recognition, but the initial samples would be just human voices)...

If I try to imagine how an artist feels, this idea is so obvious that it must have been done in the past by someone. Like, "do you love the NIN logo, or will you find my music anyway". Trent would still tell the truth sometime later, but right now just observing number of downloads etc... and - nothing. We failed. :-)

seasonsinthesky
11-07-2015, 03:26 PM
this idea is so obvious that it must have been done in the past by someone.

So there's this guy, Richard D. James...

Khrz
11-07-2015, 03:29 PM
I've had an interesting/terrible idea - what if Trent already DID release some new music... but under different name

Yeah, it happened, the band was called 2wo.

I'm still not sure who, but someone definitely failed...

gorast
11-08-2015, 01:37 PM
I've had an interesting/terrible idea - what if Trent already DID release some new music... but under different name, without telling anybody. Maybe fully instrumental, maybe different singer(s), (somewhat) different style (e.g. I was thinking myself about music based completely on vocals, just digitally manipulated to hell beyond recognition, but the initial samples would be just human voices)...

Wasn't that how HTDA started? I wasn't really a NIN fan until around that time, so I don't remember. Was it obviously a Trent-related project?

fillow
11-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Wasn't that how HTDA started? I wasn't really a NIN fan until around that time, so I don't remember. Was it obviously a Trent-related project?
Yes. I believe it was a TR project (as in, he announced he's working with Atticus and MQ as a new band) even before it got HTDA name.
Oh the other hand, I remember there was lots of speculation regarding Iamamiwhoami, when it was just a series of youtube teasers...

jmtd
11-08-2015, 04:21 PM
That's Vika Yermolyeva (http://www.vkgoeswild.com), she's (successfully, it seems) crowd-funding her debut studio album — hopefully a proper recording of that will be on it. If you follow that link to her site there is sheet music for that transcription as well as some awesome videos of her performing live with Brian Viglione (from the Dresden Dolls, Ghosts I–IV, Violent Femmes, etc.)

Cool, as soon as I saw "perfect cover" and a piano in the thumb I thought it must be vkgoeswild.

botley
11-08-2015, 05:26 PM
I bought her "half-Classical, half-improvised" album, which was pretty cool even though it's just her playing digital piano straight into a computer. This one should be 10 times as good — proper grand piano in a professional studio, awesome transcriptions and performances... gonna get that shit on vinyl!

fillow
11-08-2015, 11:23 PM

Dude with the beer behind her is the best past :p

Halo Infinity
11-09-2015, 10:31 AM
A perfect cover.

I also felt the same exact way about this one. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0TmEk5oZw

bgalbraith
11-11-2015, 12:07 AM
There's an algorithm out there called word2vec which creates numeric representations of words so you can do math on them. It embeds relationships of the words, making similar words have similar values. It can result in interesting behavior, for instance: "king" - "man" + "woman" -> "queen".

Turns out that "NIN" - "NIN.com" -> "synth pop", which checks out. PHM was pre-nin.com, and HM was when he'd stopped caring about the website and dumped it on Tumblr ;)

eversonpoe
11-11-2015, 07:50 AM
There's an algorithm out there called word2vec which creates numeric representations of words so you can do math on them. It embeds relationships of the words, making similar words have similar values. It can result in interesting behavior, for instance: "king" - "man" + "woman" -> "queen".

Turns out that "NIN" - "NIN.com" -> "synth pop", which checks out. PHM was pre-nin.com, and HM was when he'd stopped caring about the website and dumped it on Tumblr ;)

all of the letters/words in hebrew have mathematical equivalents and some of them have logical mathematical relationships, i.e. add the numbers for "father" and "mother" together and you get the number that's linked to the word "child" (this is discussed briefly in the movie Pi, which is why i know about it).

tony.parente
11-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Listened to Hesitation Marks for the first time in 7 or 8 months today. While it is still by far trents worst published musical output in his career it finally clicked with me and I got some enjoyment out of it.

Ryan
11-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Listened to Hesitation Marks for the first time in 7 or 8 months today. While it is still by far trents worst published musical output in his career it finally clicked with me and I got some enjoyment out of it.

Stop lying.

The only thing that clicks with you is my dick in your asshole.

Halo Infinity
11-12-2015, 11:25 PM
I've always thought that All That Love In The World and Every Day Is Exactly The Same would seem to probably go very well with ballroom dance in my opinion. Listening to their instrumental versions also seemed to confirm it for me.

tony.parente
11-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Stop lying.

The only thing that clicks with you is my dick in your asshole.
Jesus Christ ryan.

Wolfkiller
11-13-2015, 06:25 AM
Jesus Christ ryan.
Ryan is the reason why Year Zero was priced at $30 in his degenerate upside down country.

Ryan
11-13-2015, 03:30 PM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) is the reason why Year Zero was priced at $30 in his degenerate upside down country.

Guilty as charged!

Halo Infinity
11-13-2015, 03:45 PM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) is the reason why Year Zero was priced at $30 in his degenerate upside down country.

You saying that just instantly reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkbrm1v5Ng

@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) - This YouTube video was where I also learned about the word bogan for the very first time. :p

Jesus Christ ryan.

For a moment there, I was actually expecting a "Mother of God!". Anyway yeah, talk about left field. I mean, I obviously get that's just Ryan being Ryan, but still. :p

sick among the pure
11-13-2015, 06:12 PM

I honestly have loved a good half or so of that album, since the first time I heard it. Especially In Two, my god that song. I have a hard time picking Trent's "worst" music since I love all of it so much, but obviously something has to be his "worst".

tony.parente
11-13-2015, 06:28 PM
I honestly have loved a good half or so of that album, since the first time I heard it. Especially In Two, my god that song. I have a hard time picking Trent's "worst" music since I love all of it so much, but obviously something has to be his "worst".

Individual tracks are good, but listening to it as an album is so fucking tiring. Every single song starts with the some copy and paste drum beat with some keyboards over and over and over again. It completely ruins it for me and I can't believe Trent would do that with his art.

Ryan
11-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Individual tracks are good, but listening to it as an album is so fucking tiring. Every single song starts with the some copy and paste drum beat with some keyboards over and over and over again. It completely ruins it for me and I can't believe Trent would do that with his art.

Are you saying every song is a copy of a copy of a?

neorev
11-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I really enjoy the live versions of Hesitation Marks with the full band, such as Pino and Ilan. Having a live drummer help vary up the percussion sounds give the song another dimension. On the album, the drums sound kinda one dimensional and never really change from verse to chorus. Have some harder, live sounding drums would compliment the electronic beats. Give the album some depth, add weight to sections. But without any live drums, all the songs end up sounding similar and thin. Almost lifeless. It's too stagnant. There's no danger in his production. Everything feels too calculated and safe. I miss when he would warp sounds and make non-musical sounds musical.

The last album that I truly enjoyed all the way through was With Teeth. He had a way of making electronic-made music not sound electronic or programmed. Year Zero and How To Destroy Angels, just feel less organic. I can't get through Welcome Oblivion at all. Ghosts actually had some good moments here and there. You could probably make a decent album if you picked the best dozen or so tracks from post-With Teeth releases.

placepinion
11-13-2015, 09:22 PM
I heard the title of the next NIN album is gonna be titled 'I Successfully Hung Myself (This Time)'. It's a direct followup to HM.

wizfan
11-14-2015, 09:09 AM
The bass line and drum pattern in the beginning remind me of NIN's Letting You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51GLBK47ekU

placepinion
11-14-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm really hoping the next NIN album is more a reflection on society and the current events in the world. With all the stuff happening in Paris and so forth I hope the next NIN album really gets political or at least comments on some of this madness.

sick among the pure
11-15-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm really hoping the next NIN album is more a reflection on society and the current events in the world. With all the stuff happening in Paris and so forth I hope the next NIN album really gets political or at least comments on some of this madness.
Like a Year Zero part 2: prologue?

Krazy
11-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Just had a random NIN-related thought. You all remember the "A Tiny Little Dot" project?

Them fuckers. Not sure how or why that just popped into my head but it did. That website has some weird Japanese stuff going on now too- don't know what it is.

Ryan
11-15-2015, 07:20 PM
You're a tiny little dot.

placepinion
11-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Like a Year Zero part 2: prologue?

Some kind of bold artistic statement would be nice. That's really lacking in music these days.

gorast
11-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Just had a random NIN-related thought. You all remember the "A Tiny Little Dot" project?

Them fuckers. Not sure how or why that just popped into my head but it did. That website has some weird Japanese stuff going on now too- don't know what it is.

Was that the DVD project of the "last" show that took a ton of preorders and never delivered a physical product while shitting out a video like four years too late? Man, that was a mess.

Krazy
11-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Was that the DVD project of the "last" show that took a ton of preorders and never delivered a physical product while shitting out a video like four years too late? Man, that was a mess.

Yes. And they were really classless about it too. I just looked at their Twitter account and they're handing out BJ's to JMJ and Ilan, while crapping on persons that call them out for what they are.

BRoswell
11-15-2015, 08:48 PM

The end result was kind of awful too. It's like they threw it together the week before they released it.

jmtd
11-16-2015, 10:15 AM

domain squatters.

Bachy
11-16-2015, 06:30 PM
I can't stress it enough how unusually quiet TR has been lately. I'm sure it could be as simple has him paying attention to his life outside of NIN. Idk, though, it feels like he's got something that might be ready for us "soon."

Ryan
11-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I can't stress it enough how unusually quiet TR has been lately. I'm sure it could be as simple has him paying attention to his life outside of NIN. Idk, though, it feels like he's got something that might be ready for us "soon."

The Fragile deluxe with a new and improved 25 track version of Still?

placepinion
11-17-2015, 12:21 AM

Ahhh, yes... "soon". "Soon"... "Soon" indeed.

EndlessLoveless
11-17-2015, 09:14 AM
I sure wish the show The Leftovers used the song "the day the world went away" as the new intro song. Lyrics would be very fitting.

Halo Infinity
11-17-2015, 10:39 AM
As a result, this has always left me thinking that I might have to wait for every future NIN album come out after the previous album turns 5 years old while wondering if it'll also come out in the same the year that the previous album turned 5. That hasn't seemed to happen since the gap in between The Fragile and With Teeth though. The run from With Teeth to The Slip was also still a very pleasant surprise to me as well.

I think I'm also used to it by now because I became a fan in the middle of the wait between The Fragile and With Teeth, but I can also imagine how people that were fans during all or most of 1994-2005 are also most likely the most used to it right now too. In most cases, regardless of any musician(s), hiatus or no hiatus, I often tend to give it at least a good 2 to 3 years before wondering what's up, since that seems to be the typical gap in between albums. I also totally still understand the overall curiosity and speculation over NIN's gaps/sporadic disappearances/reappearances though, since the way NIN was in the last half of the 2000s has actually made me wonder if we'd ever actually get surprised with a run like With Teeth-The Slip ever again.

So with all that being said, I also still hope that soon really does mean no later than 2018, and if luckier, perhaps soon could probably mean around mid 2016 to late 2017.

WorzelG
11-17-2015, 10:55 AM
I just checked Columbia's website and HTDA and NIN still seem to be listed as Columbia artists, so any new album wouldn't be able to be released just with a twitter or anything. I wonder how the contract works with them though? Whether a new deal is negotiated on an album basis?

botley
11-17-2015, 06:44 PM
I just checked Columbia's website and HTDA and NIN still seem to be listed as Columbia artists, so any new album wouldn't be able to be released just with a twitter or anything. I wonder how the contract works with them though? Whether a new deal is negotiated on an album basis?

Yes. They are free agents and they can release new work in whatever form or avenue they want it out.

implanted_microchip
11-18-2015, 10:43 AM
The muffled, buried shouting in I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally is the most upsetting thing. That "I've done all I can do; Could I please come with you?" is so just, vulnerable and meek and desperate and goddamn, what a performance. The choice of putting the shouts in the back and the soft whisper in the front really gives it such an added hit. Just that little bit of a production choice hits so hard.

elevenism
11-18-2015, 12:55 PM
The muffled, buried shouting in I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally is the most upsetting thing. That "I've done all I can do; Could I please come with you?" is so just, vulnerable and meek and desperate and goddamn, what a performance. The choice of putting the shouts in the back and the soft whisper in the front really gives it such an added hit. Just that little bit of a production choice hits so hard.
i was thinking of doing something similar on a track i'm recording today.
i've ALWAYS wanted to...

wizfan
11-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Trent had combined shouting and whispering on Ringfinger as well.

elevenism
11-18-2015, 01:26 PM
is it obvious or subtle?
i haven't played that record in a long time.

wizfan
11-18-2015, 01:28 PM
is it obvious or subtle?
i haven't played that record in a long time.

It's actually the exact opposite of I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally. The shouted chorus is in the front, and, if you listen closely, you can pick up the whispered take.

elevenism
11-18-2015, 02:14 PM
It's actually the exact opposite of I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally. The shouted chorus is in the front, and, if you listen closely, you can pick up the whispered take.
ahhh i remember it now that you mention it.

Crazy that i've been listening to that track for 23 years. It's pretty well burned into my consciousness

implanted_microchip
11-18-2015, 03:43 PM

Oh yeah, he's done it a few times IIRC, but ILFTJY,F really has the biggest impact with it for me. Especially coming off of such a string of very loud, bombastic songs, with plenty of shouting and voice-raising, for that defiant and aggressive, violent side to be completely suppressed and just drowned out by the noise of it all and that sad, defeated, empty and practically pathetic voice reduced to a whimper in focus is just such a thematically powerful moment at that point on the album -- "all I do I can still feel you" and no amount of aggression or screaming is going to make it any different. It fits so well with that whole idea of, after this whole journey, ending right back up where it started, still somewhat damaged and ripe with decay.

Also speaking of Ringerfinger, goddamn, if there was ever a time to do it live again in some reworked version, wasn't Tension the time to do it? The backing singers could've covered a whole lot of ground and really brought something out into it; Pino's bass would have been an absolutely perfect fit to it and could've brought a lot more out of it; it could have fit right in along with Sanctified and All Time Low and just added to that whole "deep groove" focus Trent talked about having on that tour. It's such a shame that lineup was such a one-off affair because it opened the door to a ton of possibilities that could've allowed for some really different songs to get brought into the light again (or for the first time; The Great Collapse practically exists for female backing singers; Slipping Away would've been amazing; The Perfect Drug could have totally worked in some bizarre altered version with that lineup). I know I've mentioned it before, but really, if there was ever a version of the band that could have done The Fragile live, that was it. Could you imagine Lisa and Sharlotte doing the "I'm gonna get so high"'s on 10 Miles High? Ugh I miss those shows to death. Biggest risk Trent ever took with the live band and in my honest opinion the biggest success.

Halo Infinity
11-18-2015, 04:08 PM
I was actually about to say the same exact thing about Last. The whispering in Last also sounded like a combination of frantic horror and passive relinquishment to me.

botley
11-19-2015, 12:59 PM
"wwwwWHYYyyyyall the change of heart?" is another example in "Copy of A", just the briefest little scream that immediately cuts back out into the whispered monotone.

Ryan
11-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Ringerfinger

Epic remix title.

Halo Infinity
11-20-2015, 12:35 AM
I still just love how well Terrible Lie sounds next to Now I'm Nothing both musically and lyrically. I'd like to also imagine that Somewhat Damaged would also sound excellent next to Now I'm Nothing as well.

sheepdean
11-20-2015, 01:58 AM
I still just love how well Terrible Lie sounds next to Now I'm Nothing both musically and lyrically. I'd like to also imagine that Somewhat Damaged would also sound excellent next to Now I'm Nothing as well.
I do wonder if the absence of a studio version of NI'mN is because it just doesn't sound as good without Terrible Lie, or at least without a song directly after

implanted_microchip
11-20-2015, 02:34 AM
Epic remix title.
Ringerfinger 2: Even Fingerer (Version)

BenAkenobi
11-20-2015, 03:12 AM
Personally, never paid attention to "Now i'm nothing", i know it exists but i don't have a bookmarked youtube or an mp3 on computer, it's almost like non-canon to me. For some of you that's an outright impossible disaster, i guess ;)

Ryan
11-20-2015, 04:03 AM
I do wonder if the absence of a studio version of NI'mN is because it just doesn't sound as good without Terrible Lie, or at least without a song directly after

That's quite plausible.

fillow
11-20-2015, 04:19 AM
They could've added Suck afterwards, which seems like the most fitting song (tempo-wise) from Broken.

This reminds of something I always wondered: were Suck and Physical actually recorded in studio in 1991 for a proposed double-a-side single, or was it just an idea and the songs are actually recorded together with the rest of Broken sometime later? This single (that never happened) was mentioned by TR in one of old interviews or maybe Prodigy boards (need to check).

Halo Infinity
11-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Personally, never paid attention to "Now i'm nothing", i know it exists but i don't have a bookmarked youtube or an mp3 on computer, it's almost like non-canon to me. For some of you that's an outright impossible disaster, i guess ;)
Point taken, but I'd still feel incredibly lucky to have ever witnessed it among several other songs that were discussed and mentioned over the past decade or so. :p

I actually get it though, as I mostly focus on the actual albums too. I also noticed that I still tend to constantly go back and forth from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

tricil
11-20-2015, 02:34 PM
The Pretty Hate Machine remaster is back on Apple Music.

sheepdean
11-20-2015, 04:23 PM
They could've added Suck afterwards, which seems like the most fitting song (tempo-wise) from Broken.

This reminds of something I always wondered: were Suck and Physical actually recorded in studio in 1991 for a proposed double-a-side single, or was it just an idea and the songs are actually recorded together with the rest of Broken sometime later? This single (that never happened) was mentioned by TR in one of old interviews or maybe Prodigy boards (need to check).

"The last two tracks were leftovers from a 12" that should have been released when we did lollapalooza, but due to record labels.... ...so, i thought they were good enough to be released, but did not fit with 'broken', so, i wanted to give them away but keep them separate from the EP, so, i came up with the 3" CD idea, but, my record label informed me that it cost so much to manufacture that they could not break even EVER regardless of sales, so, i compromised and allowed the first 250,000 to have the 3" CD, and the rest to have them on tracks 98-99 (so nobody would be ripped off)."
—Reznor

So yeah, a 12" single with at least those two on was the plan

tricil
11-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Maybe the Opal mix too

Dr Channard
11-20-2015, 04:50 PM
I’ve been on a Ruiner kick all week. Put that shit on a loop driving around, crank it up and it can do no wrong. So, now I’m wondering what Ruiner would sound like if Trent stripped it down as a piano piece, Still style.

billpulsipher
11-21-2015, 01:35 PM
heres random...was listening to the 1994 london forum bootleg for the 100th time the other night and continue to be amazed at the intensity and energy from that show...which got me thinking to how laughable it was that there were people claiming Tension was the greatest NIN tour ever lmao

sheepdean
11-21-2015, 01:39 PM
heres random...was listening to the 1994 london forum bootleg for the 100th time the other night and continue to be amazed at the intensity and energy from that show...which got me thinking to how laughable it was that there were people claiming Tension was the greatest NIN tour ever lmao
You couldda just posted the first half and it would've been something constructive to talk about, but you HAD to be catty.

implanted_microchip
11-21-2015, 04:13 PM
You couldda just posted the first half and it would've been something constructive to talk about, but you HAD to be catty.
I think I've said this before but his ability to exclusively provide backhanded compliments and remind us how much he hates HM and most modern NIN is nothing short of impressive; every seemingly-positive comment always reminds me that I am in the hands of a master craftsman of hate

Khrz
11-21-2015, 04:19 PM
I'd have said Futile Bitterness, but well, such things are very subjective...

Dr Channard
11-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Probably Self-Destruct was the landmark tour for nin, but I’d like to think that both performances were great in their own ways. Self-Destruct was a more youth driven raw and frantic performance, whereas Tension was more seasoned and refined. Some nights you might have a taste for that raw rotgut liquor, other nights a drink more refined and aged are called for. It’s all in what you’re in the mood for. Cheers.

billpulsipher
11-21-2015, 05:28 PM

things are slow in NIN land...need to shake things up a bit

sheepdean
11-21-2015, 05:40 PM
things are slow in NIN land...need to shake things up a bit
So talk about something from 2 years ago? Talk about, idk, the new rip off Halo I-IV boxset, the lack of fulfillment of the Gone Girl outtakes release, the fact that TR social media is not just dead, but getting deleted. How about that Dragon Tattoo might be getting rebooted, cementing that there'll be no more TRAR score, or if news bores you, how about some positive reminiscing. If you love pre-04 so much, why not talk about your favourite parts WITHOUT shitting on the other stuff? I don't like the BLOPS2 theme, but I don't address that every time soundtracks or instrumentals come up.

BRoswell
11-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Billy Boy is just silly and boring at this point. "Have I mentioned how much this thing sucks? Ha ha ha!" *snore*

GibbonBlack
11-21-2015, 06:55 PM
So talk about something from 2 years ago? Talk about, idk, the new rip off Halo I-IV boxset, the lack of fulfillment of the Gone Girl outtakes release, the fact that TR social media is not just dead, but getting deleted. How about that Dragon Tattoo might be getting rebooted, cementing that there'll be no more TRAR score, or if news bores you, how about some positive reminiscing. If you love pre-04 so much, why not talk about your favourite parts WITHOUT shitting on the other stuff? I don't like the BLOPS2 theme, but I don't address that every time soundtracks or instrumentals come up.

Well, it's not like he doesn't achieve what he sets out to do.

tricil
11-21-2015, 08:08 PM
How about that Dragon Tattoo might be getting rebooted, cementing that there'll be no more TRAR score,

Wait, what?

sheepdean
11-22-2015, 01:54 AM
Wait, what?
Sony are rebooting Dragon Tattoo with the new book http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/17/fresh-ink-dragon-tattoo

WorzelG
11-22-2015, 02:28 AM
Even though GWTDT has become my favourite score of theirs, i've been listening to it in a big way recently and just love it, I wouldn't really care for them taking so much time doing more of a similar thing, so I would be quite happy for Fincher not to be involved in this. Anyone know if he is down to make any more films? Gone Girl was so successful after all, although maybe he's taking a break

fillow
11-22-2015, 04:52 AM
Of course he'll do more films. He's a film director, he does this for a living.
Or did you mean more Millenium films? Not likely at this point.

WorzelG
11-22-2015, 06:01 AM
Of course he'll do more films. He's a film director, he does this for a living.
Or did you mean more Millenium films? Not likely at this point.
Ha,i didn't phrase it properly, I meant does he have an actual film on the horizon

Ryan
11-22-2015, 06:39 AM
I'd love to know what Trent thought of Bowie's Blackstar video and song.

sheepdean
11-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I'd love to know if there's any guest artists on the album, we haven't seen album credits yet after all, and he HAS been quiet...

billpulsipher
11-22-2015, 07:11 PM

probably what most people thought of it....he just wont say it publicly...like that time he did that radio Q interview and the interviewer asked him what he thought of the new Bowie album and he dodged the question..how do you dismantle your hero? I mean I do it all the time on this forum, but it still hurts me inside every time I diss TR

Ryan
11-22-2015, 07:32 PM
probably what most people thought of it....he just wont say it publicly...like that time he did that radio Q interview and the interviewer asked him what he thought of the new Bowie album and he dodged the question..how do you dismantle your hero? I mean I do it all the time on this forum, but it still hurts me inside every time I diss TR

Really? I love the song and video. I thought Trent would too.

BRoswell
11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
I mean I do it all the time on this forum, but it still hurts me inside every time I diss TR

Yes, the pain is so excruciating that you keep doing it. You poor soul.
tengoddamncharacters

Dr Channard
11-22-2015, 08:22 PM
...how do you dismantle your hero? I mean I do it all the time on this forum, but it still hurts me inside every time I diss TR

Bill… may I call you Bill? You sir know what you’re opinion is, and voice it without reservation, and I can‘t fault you for that. Was your user name hurtnomore in a different place and time?

cashpiles (closed)
11-23-2015, 05:07 AM
I feel some anger listening to David Bowie's Subterraneans from his album Low, as I can clearly hear melodies from this song on The Frail. It seems consciously or not, Trent borrowed from this song.

I know that this could just be considered musical influence. If that's the case, David Bowie has had a bigger influence on Trent's music than I knew. (I had only previously known about the Crystal Castles - A Warm Place connection.)

Now I'm curious about what other songs by artists/bands you can hear in Trent's music. Has anyone noticed other connections?

sheepdean
11-23-2015, 05:10 AM
I feel some anger listening to David Bowie's Subterraneans from his album Low, as I can clearly hear melodies from this song on The Frail. It seems consciously or not, Trent borrowed from this song.

I know that this could just be considered musical influence. If that's the case, David Bowie has had a bigger influence on Trent's music than I knew. (I had only previously known about the Crystal Castles - Downward Spiral connection.)

Now I'm curious about what other songs by artists/bands you can hear in Trent's music. Has anyone noticed other connections?
*Crystal Japan

And there's the classic Dig It = Down In It, thematically he borrowed heavily from Soft Cell's This Last Night In Sodom album. But hey, everything is borrowed, don't forget he even used Clive Barker's words in Sin

fillow
11-23-2015, 05:54 AM
I'm pretty sure the notes in the four-note progression in The Frail and Subterraneans is different. Besides, I believe TR once said that this melody first appeared in The Fragile (guitar solo part), and he only came up with The Frail sometime later, after hearing Jerome Dillon's remix of The Fragile (aka The Fragile (Version)).

cashpiles (closed)
11-23-2015, 06:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the notes in the four-note progression in The Frail and Subterraneans is different. Besides, I believe TR once said that this melody first appeared in The Fragile (guitar solo part), and he only came up with The Frail sometime later, after hearing Jerome Dillon's remix of The Fragile (aka The Fragile (Version)).

It isn't just the notes...but the tempo...and the feeling of it..and also the actual sound of the synth.

WorzelG
11-23-2015, 07:13 AM
^^^even after you saying that, I'm not hearing it and I don't get at all the same feeling from either song..go figure. And the frail isn't a synth is it? Sounds completely different to me

BRoswell
11-23-2015, 08:58 AM
And the frail isn't a synth is it? Sounds completely different to me

Technically it is a synth, but the sample comes from Trent's voice. I'm guessing Bowie actually sang the wordless singing on his track.

Anyway, I don't really think you can say that The Frail copies Subterraneans. You can certainly compare the two, as they're both very melancholy tracks with some similarities in terms of production, but I don't hear anything in The Frail that's directly lifted from Subterraneans.

WorzelG
11-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Technically it is a synth, but the sample comes from Trent's voice. I'm guessing Bowie actually sang the wordless singing on his track.I did not know that the kind of synth noise that overcomes the track leading to the Wretched was a sample of Trent's voice, you learn something new every day, I was just referring to the rising four notes on the piano at the end as I thought that's what cashpiles was referring to!

As far as NIN songs sounding like others, there's a htda one that kills me because I can't unhear it, its On the Wing, when someone said the chorus sounds like its going to break out into 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone' that always pops into my head now