PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

eversonpoe
10-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Cool moment yesterday: I went to se Queens of the Stone Age at a festival in my hometown with a Mastodoon T Shirt and i was waiting in the foodcourt line when a guy with a brand new NIN Tension T Shirt approached to me, we both made approval gestures about our shirts and went our separate ways...

i love moments like that so much.

tony.parente
10-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Cool moment yesterday: I went to se Queens of the Stone Age at a festival in my hometown with a Mastodoon T Shirt and i was waiting in the foodcourt line when a guy with a brand new NIN Tension T Shirt approached to me, we both made approval gestures about our shirts and went our separate ways...

I've had that moment a few times, it's hysterical and awesome.

screwdriver
10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
idle fantasy: after seeing four Fragile songs last night, I want more than ever to hear the new band play The Fragile, front to back. Can you imagine the backing singers on The Big Comedown? Where is Everybody???

johnbron
10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I may wind up in London next year with the girlfriend as she has a sister that lives there and wants us to visit. Is it bad that I'm really hoping that NIN is playing there at the same time? ;)

sick among the pure
10-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Can you imagine the backing singers on The Big Comedown?

WHELP, I can tell you now from personal experience that it's awesome.

icklekitty
10-16-2013, 06:42 AM
i may wind up in london next year with the girlfriend as she has a sister that lives there and wants us to visit. Is it bad that i'm really hoping that nin is playing there at the same time? ;)

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

nooneimportant
10-16-2013, 07:18 AM
What's funny is that, at the end of one of the songs in Cleveland, someone triggered a sample that sounded like the opening synth in "Maybe Just Once," and I thought for a second, in some weird "Here in Cleveland is where it all started" thing, they were going to break it out. Which would've been mindblowing, especially since I've always actually kinda liked that song.

What's funny is that Hesitation Marks seems to have some call backs to the Pretty Hate Machine era. It's got that synth and dance vibe to alot of it for one, DJ scratches in Various Methods, Copy of A seems reminiscent of the demo version of Kinda I Want To and Came Back Haunted seems to reference the opening notes of Ringfinger.

It seriously seems like he came full circle and just implemented all of his previous styles into one album.

Halo Infinity
10-16-2013, 08:11 AM
When it comes to Hesitation Marks and other Nine Inch Nails albums, I mostly hear Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth in it, but I can also hear some hints of The Fragile and The Slip in it as well.

henryeatscereal
10-16-2013, 09:51 AM
When it comes to Hesitation Marks and other Nine Inch Nails albums, I mostly hear Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth in it, but I can also hear some hints of The Fragile and The Slip in it as well.
I hear mostly With Teeth and Year Zero combined with some "hints" of The Slip and The Fragile (really small "hints").
I consider "Hesitation Marks" a less noisy (and more varied) "Year Zero"

tony.parente
10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Not sure where to put this so I'll drop it here.

Has anyone taken a look at the nin ringtones in the itunes store? The Dead Souls one is hysterical. "They keep calling me, they keep calling me, they keep calling me, they keep calling me!!"

Someone has a sense of humor.

eversonpoe
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
...DJ scratches in Various Methods...

whaaaaat? really? i definitely haven't heard that.

screwdriver
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
WHELP, I can tell you now from personal experience that it's awesome.

well, that settles it -- I'm officially jealous :-)

can't wait to dig into the bootlegs for this tour once its over

Halo Infinity
10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Not sure where to put this so I'll drop it here.

Has anyone taken a look at the nin ringtones in the itunes store? The Dead Souls one is hysterical. "They keep calling me, they keep calling me, they keep calling me, they keep calling me!!"

Someone has a sense of humor.
I've actually thought about that ever since I heard Dead Souls in 2003. It's also rather nice to see that it made its way to iTunes like that.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Hows this for random? A shit to of full shows from 1989 to 1995 on one users YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/scheidungsrichter/search?query=nine+inch+nails

Frozen Beach
10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
The version of That's What I Get on All That There Ever Was is beautiful. The fans singing along is magical.

BRoswell
10-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Hows this for random? A shit to of full shows from 1989 to 1995 on one users YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/scheidungsrichter/search?query=nine+inch+nails

Man, the live shows have come a long way from the "hey, let's hang up a bunch of Christmas lights" production.

Halo Infinity
10-16-2013, 09:12 PM
It's definitely hitting me harder than ever, as it has passed, but in a very good way knowing that I lived to see A Warm Place live. It's one of those Nine Inch Nails instrumentals that have really struck a chord with me, because I've listened to it when I felt like contemplating my own existence even long before I knew about the sampled quote.

The best thing about life, is knowing you put it together.

It's like a very nice play on: "Life is what you make it."

playwithfire
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Can Sharlotte and Lisa sing on the next album/all NIN forever?

captainbeyond
10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I noticed people clapping along to the middle of "In Two." in the Brooklyn show video. I am going to be so annoyed if that happens while they play that track (hoping).

Anyone notice the awesome new melody that stays pretty prominent from the middle to the outro? It would have totally changed the album version!

nooneimportant
10-17-2013, 12:25 AM
whaaaaat? really? i definitely haven't heard that.

First verse, you hear DJ scratching only about 2-3 times and it's never heard again. It's very random and reminds me of Trent's production on Pretty Hate Machine where he added weird things into his songs, like the outros The Only Time and Ringfinger. This is also prominent with the sudden saxaphone at the end of While I'm Still Here.

BenAkenobi
10-17-2013, 12:53 AM
It's definitely hitting me harder than ever, as it has passed, but in a very good way knowing that I lived to see A Warm Place live. It's one of those Nine Inch Nails instrumentals that have really struck a chord with me, because I've listened to it when I felt like contemplating my own existence even long before I knew about the sampled quote.

The best thing about life, is knowing you put it together.

It's like a very nice play on: "Life is what you make it."

You will hate me for saying this, but that blue quote is an urban legend. i tinkered and tweaked original and remastered track but it simply isn't there.

wizfan
10-17-2013, 01:18 AM
You will hate me for saying this, but that blue quote is an urban legend. i tinkered and tweaked original and remastered track but it simply isn't there.

Yes, it's there. It can be faintly heard in the left channel. Grab the instrumental version from remix.nin.com and you'll notice something is missing from the intro.

BenAkenobi
10-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Dude. I'd like to find initial source mentioning that "sample" which led to confusion in generations of nin fans. You don't know to what lengths i've gone trying to hear the phrase (or at least some words). Maybe it's not in English, but in Chinese, Hebrew or, i dunno, Pnakotik? I spent mornings and evenings trying to manipulate left channel in dozens of ways and listened countless times searching for audible words both on loudspeakers and headphones. All in vain.
It is myth. Unless anyone can provide step-by-step instructions for how to find it.

icklekitty
10-17-2013, 07:08 AM
First verse, you hear DJ scratching only about 2-3 times and it's never heard again. It's very random and reminds me of Trent's production on Pretty Hate Machine where he added weird things into his songs, like the outros The Only Time and Ringfinger. This is also prominent with the sudden saxaphone at the end of While I'm Still Here.

Reason #92034972384 why this album rocks my socks off

simonn
10-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I may wind up in London next year with the girlfriend as she has a sister that lives there and wants us to visit. Is it bad that I'm really hoping that NIN is playing there at the same time? ;)

On a similar theme, I'm resigned to the fact that I know I won't see Robin/Trent at Gary Numan or Trent at QOTSA in London next month because they're touring America!

tony.parente
10-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Can Sharlotte and Lisa sing on the next album/all NIN forever?

I hope not, at least not prominently. They were a good addition live on this tour but I hope they become part of this "era" and not NIN as a whole.

botley
10-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I hope not, at least not prominently. They were a good addition live on this tour but I hope they become part of this "era" and not NIN as a whole.
I hope you will find a woman who loves you someday.

tony.parente
10-17-2013, 12:15 PM
I hope you will find a woman who loves you someday.

Getting ready to turn my 6 year relationship into a 1.5 year engagement <3

screwdriver
10-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I noticed people clapping along to the middle of "In Two." in the Brooklyn show video. I am going to be so annoyed if that happens while they play that track (hoping).

Anyone notice the awesome new melody that stays pretty prominent from the middle to the outro? It would have totally changed the album version!

People were clapping, including me. It felt right and I had a great time.

Halo Infinity
10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't hate you over something like that, but it's certainly news to me.

Dude. I'd like to find initial source mentioning that "sample" which led to confusion in generations of nin fans.It somehow made its way on NinWiki. @Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) - Did you also hear/find it? (I know I've called on you a lot during this year, but aside from @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350), you're also like an ultimate NIN Guru/Encyclopedia.) :) I also thought I could use the help as well though, because now I'm a bit confused. :confused:

http://www.ninwiki.com/A_Warm_Place#Sample - Could this be in fact, an error? :confused:

tony.parente
10-17-2013, 12:51 PM

I would much rather have fans clap during In Two than hooting and hollering about how much they love trent durning Hurt.

screwdriver
10-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't hate you over something like that, but it's certainly news to me.

It somehow made its way on NinWiki. @Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) - Did you also hear/find it? (I know I've called on you a lot during this year, but aside from @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350), you're also like an ultimate NIN Guru/Encyclopedia.) :) I also thought I could use the help as well though, because now I'm a bit confused. :confused:

http://www.ninwiki.com/A_Warm_Place#Sample - Could this be in fact, an error? :confused:

you can clearly hear something being said in the left channel during the very beginning. it's quiet. It sounds like its looping dialogue, and I know he says the word "life," but if I'm being honest I can't really make it out more definitively than that.

BenAkenobi
10-17-2013, 01:57 PM
ok, here's amplified left channel section between 9.3 sec. and 17.6 sec. http://www.sendspace.com/file/yenlmi
you can pick up the phrase repeating 2,5 times. the closest wordly equivalent i can give you:
...austin powers is here, austin powers is here, austin powers...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/dbtech/thanks/images/dislikes.png BenAkenobi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/122-BenAkenobi) facepalmed this post

wizfan
10-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Have you guys checked out the 5.1 surround edition of the song? Maybe it can be heard more clearly there. I'll go check it myself.

EndlessLoveless
10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Ive always heard that the sample is there. Ive never actually heard it myself, but even if its not there, i like to think it is.

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I think I'd actually like to collect Nine Inch Nails cassettes some day. I just have this nostalgic interest in cassettes, especially with that little hiss sound that goes with it. It's either that, or I can somehow find some blank cassettes that are at least 2 hours long and tape them.

I also wanted to get this out before I forget it too. While it's already understood and revealed that Reznor in Super Mario World was a real direct reference to Trent Reznor, I like how it also works as a reference to the heating and furnace company since the Reznor's breath fire while standing in revolving platforms over a bridge that's also above and enormous pit of lava.

BRoswell
10-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Saxophone at the end of "While I'm Still Here"=love.

nemesiswontdie
10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I think I'd actually like to collect Nine Inch Nails cassettes some day. I just have this nostalgic interest in cassettes, especially with that little hiss sound that goes with it. It's either that, or I can somehow find some blank cassettes that are at least 2 hours long and tape them.

The main things I collect when it comes to NIN stuff is shirts and cassettes. Collecting NIN cassettes are fun because:

1. For the most part, it's cheaper (except for the AU Head Like a Hole, March of the pigs and PHM samplers) than vinyls
2. There's not as many to collect like there are with vinyls
3. Cassettes, in my opinion, are just an awesome lost medium for music.

I didn't grow up with vinyls in my house as a kid, I grew up with CD's and cassette tapes, so I just have a love for cassettes (not saying I don't love vinyls because I have a few of my own, just not as many as I do cassettes).

I don't listen to my cassettes though. I don't trust ANY damn cassette players

seasonsinthesky
10-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Have you guys checked out the 5.1 surround edition of the song? Maybe it can be heard more clearly there. I'll go check it myself.

unfortunately, it's no easier. the sample is buried inside the two voicelike crescendoes that open the track. i've never been able to pick out any words. (i'm pretty sure no one has any idea what they are, and the life quote is something someone made up.)

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
The main things I collect when it comes to NIN stuff is shirts and cassettes. Collecting NIN cassettes are fun because:

1. For the most part, it's cheaper (except for the AU Head Like a Hole, March of the pigs and PHM samplers) than vinyls
2. There's not as many to collect like there are with vinyls
3. Cassettes, in my opinion, are just an awesome lost medium for music.

I didn't grow up with vinyls in my house as a kid, I grew up with CD's and cassette tapes, so I just have a love for cassettes (not saying I don't love vinyls because I have a few of my own, just not as many as I do cassettes).

I don't listen to my cassettes though. I don't trust ANY damn cassette players
There were and still are my exact reasons for thinking about collecting Nine Inch Nails cassettes. I thought I'd start with Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile first, as those would have to be the easiest to find. And even more-so with PHM, Broken, and TDS. I'm really not sure, but were cassettes still normally available for sale in 1999? I remember seeing cassettes still being used and sold regularly in 1996-1998 as far as the late 1990s went, which was also long before I got into any music.

m15a
10-18-2013, 07:26 PM
idle fantasy: after seeing four Fragile songs last night, I want more than ever to hear the new band play The Fragile, front to back. Can you imagine the backing singers on The Big Comedown? Where is Everybody???

thought exactly the same thing during the concert . .

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I sometimes wished that I had some way to have been a Nine Inch Nails fan when Broken and The Downward Spiral came out through an older cousin, acquaintance or friend as I don't have any brothers or sisters. Or, if I had the chance to have randomly seen anything about Nine Inch Nails on MTV from 1989-1995. Then again, I'd still be too young for Nine Inch Nails, as I was ages 3-10 from 1989-1995, but it's still interesting for me to imagine what that would've been like.

The most realistic fantasy for attending my very first Nine Inch Nails concert at the earliest stage of my life would have to be when The Fragile came out though. I was 13 when The Fragile came out and I turned 15 on 2000. (My birthday is in October, so I turned 14 one month after The Fragile came out.)

In reality though, I got into Nine Inch Nails when I was 16 going 17 in late 2002, and didn't see my first concert until I turned 20 in 2005. However, that really would've been one hell of a childhood memory to have my 8-10 self see Trent Reznor rocking out at any given NIN concert from 1994-1995. :D

I was also 3 when PHM came out, 6 when Broken came out, and 8 when TDS came out.

captainbeyond
10-18-2013, 08:31 PM

I will assume that you are in the minority of people who can actually clap on time with a song.

wizfan
10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
I will assume that you are in the minority of people who can actually clap on time with a song.

Oh, man, it's kind of annoying when people don't clap on time. When I saw "Hurt" live, the crowd was terribly out of sync (though they weren't shouting the lyrics, thank God). Robin was staring at us the whole time, looking kinda pissed off.

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 08:39 PM
This is a question, but it's more in the Random NIN Thoughts territory. Were any of you tempted to say "What'd you throw? What you'd throw? Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man!" during The Only Time, or "Whoever threw that, fuck you! All right!" during Something I Can Never Have at a NIN concert?

Thanks to watching Closure so many times and loving it, those extra parts are stuck in my mind whenever I listen to those songs. It would seem more fun to repeat the line from The Only Time though, but I don't think he's played that since the TDS era.

Ryan
10-18-2013, 08:48 PM
everything's blue in this world
all fuzzy
spilling out of my head

nooneimportant
10-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Damn that's subtle. I wouldn't have even recognised it as DJ scratching if I wasn't listening for it. It's at 0:23 & 0:28 right?

Yup. It's weird.

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Step right up! March! Push! Crawl right up on your knees... :p (I sometimes like to check out to see Chris Vrenna and Richard Patrick are doing.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFmrJIMmmI

Trains
10-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Stumbled upon this very bizarre short film, does anyone know if it's related at all to our beloved Year Zero?

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/offf-2011-barcelona-year-zero/

Fredy_Brown
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM
More of a random question: any UK shop that sells and ships Hesitation Marks t-shirts to the EU and accepts Master Card?

Charmingly Miserable
10-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah. I'm a terrible clapper. So, I just slap my thigh. It's more subtle. Plus, if I'm out of sync, then no one will ever really notice.

utterben
10-20-2013, 06:42 AM
This old live version of That's What I Get is so perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbbVGxrpYOw

LOVEANDZOMBIES
10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Where can I find this version of Into The Void?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7xfk04TJs

dominik
10-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Where can I find this version of Into The Void?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7xfk04TJs

It's on the The Fragile remix album.

Ryan
10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
I want to see Complication live again.

sick among the pure
10-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I want to see anything from The Fragile live, always. This tour has helped me realize how fucking beautiful that album is, no question between TDS and TF for favorite album anymore.

Edit because I didn't want to double-post:
I was on Weird Al's twitter seeing what I've missed lately (damn, a chance to call him today, but he posted it like 8 hours ago). And I noticed Robin Finck follows him. Not really a spotting so I figured post it here instead. I just thought it was really cool.

Halo Infinity
10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow, just one more year until Pretty Hate Machine becomes one quarter of a century. And it's aged so well IMHO. :D

BRoswell
10-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Since The Fragile is getting re-released at some point, I think it would be great if And All That Could Have Been got re-released as well. My dream re-release would include:

The original concert film, plus any bonus performances that were filmed, on Blu-ray (yes, I realize the material is SD quality, but at least they could fit it all on one disc).
A three-disc set containing all of the tracks from the film (with any additional tracks included) and Still.
A nice box to house everything in.

wizfan
10-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Just found out (via ninwiki) that the people behind The Frail's awesome TFA remix that were credited as Benelli are Josh Eustis and Turk Dietrich (of the band Belong). Then I remembered that I knew about the latter when The NIN Hotline posted a download of a Belong song. I tried kinda hard to make these pieces fit.

fillow
10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
The original concert film, plus any bonus performances that were filmed, on Blu-ray (yes, I realize the material is SD quality, but at least they could fit it all on one disc).

I believe that with the current technology they could've put everything from the old two-dvd set onto one dvd9 easily. The amount of material is roughly the same as on BYIT, it's just that the video codecs weren't as advanced in 2001 as they are now.

wizfan
10-21-2013, 01:09 AM
If there were to be a deluxe re-release of AATCHB, I'd imagine it would only be available on a streaming service like Netflix, since Trent cares more about this kind of distribution model than, like he says, "selling plastic discs".

hani
10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
If there were to be a deluxe re-release of AATCHB, I'd imagine it would only be available on a streaming service like Netflix, since Trent cares more about this kind of distribution model than, like he says, "selling plastic discs".

let's face it, it's not like he didn't sell any plastic discs this year

WorzelG
10-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I like 'plastic discs' because you own them and Netflix could remove the show from their schedules any time they want

nemesiswontdie
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I just prefer having physical copies of anything. Be it games, movies or music. I like the feeling of opening up a brand new CD and looking at the booklet (if it comes with one) and just getting immersed in the art while listening to the new music. I don't get that satisfaction with digital downloads, but that's just me anyways.

Though I do understand the convenience of digital downloads.

but if it's for a video game, I definitely prefer physical copies since my internet sucks and plus I like to smell the inside of the game case when it's brand new. It smells soooo good. Give it a try next time you buy a game lol.

Halo Infinity
10-21-2013, 02:43 PM
@nemesiswontdie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=692) - I love that new video game smell. Call me crazy, but I wish there were candle scented video game scents. I still sort of remember what new SNES and GameBoy cartridges smelled like, although it's very hard to explain. :p

As for the actual topic, I loved seeing Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke) and Al Jourgensen (Ministry) in his movements on stage. It's very clear that they both had a heavy influence on his stage presence as well. :D

sick among the pure
10-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Trent is still very much about selling a physical piece of art, he is proud of the packaging design and art, and has mentioned that in various interviews before. I remember reading in a recent one how he never cared about winning a grammy, but would have loved getting some sort of award for package design.
I mean, the guy still presses vinyl of his albums, and we buy it. I can't see him going digital only anytime soon (or ever). And I hope he doesn't, because we're fucking collectors. Having a collection of a bunch of digital information, or having a log of NIN stuff in our instant queue on Netflix is not the same as bookshelves and walls covered in real media.

Halo Infinity
10-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I might as well get this out now, but I'll admit that I know it's what I shouldn't really expect. I've actually seen lots of people with Guns N' Roses and Nirvana T-shirts, hats, wristbands, and wallets, but barely any Nine Inch Nails T-shirts. I'd really like to think that Nine Inch Nails is just as a big as a late 1980s and early 1990s giant as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana, but I think it seems like more people have heard of Guns N' Roses and Nirvana in spite of the success and popularity Nine Inch Nails has. It's also wishful and fanatic thinking, so I hope that you can pardon me for the slight "fanboyism" here.

hani
10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
ok, guys, I'm serious, this needs to return to the live shows because of reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIGmc0ksJxc

sick among the pure
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I might as well get this out now, but I'll admit that I know it's what I shouldn't really expect. I've actually seen lots of people with Guns N' Roses and Nirvana T-shirts, hats, wristbands, and wallets, but barely any Nine Inch Nails T-shirts. I'd really like to think that Nine Inch Nails is just as a big as a late 1980s and early 1990s giant as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana, but I think it seems like more people have heard of Guns N' Roses and Nirvana in spite of the success and popularity Nine Inch Nails has. It's also wishful and fanatic thinking, so I hope that you can pardon me for the slight "fanboyism" here.

If it makes you feel any better, I have easily 30 or more official NIN shirts (and like 5-6 of the approved fan-designed NIN shirts DYSD.ca made). It's to the point taht everyone at my entire university knows me as the guy who loves NIN.

WorzelG
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe someone needs to get a petition going to get Trent to release that Everything video already

https://mobile.twitter.com/SHYNOLAfilms/status/392436171164643329?p=v

sick among the pure
10-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Maybe someone needs to get a petition going to get Trent to release that Everything video already

I'd rather see the scrapped EDIETS video first. The teaser photos got me so interested.

m15a
10-22-2013, 12:02 AM

yup. wishful thinking. Appetite for Destruction sold 18 million copies in the US and their music videos were super popular on MTV. (they seemed to have the #1 video, like, every year.) NIN had videos that couldn't even be played on MTV.

but i used to see a lot of NIN shirts. just depends where and when you're talking about. these days, are band t-shirts even popular?

sucks. just from the artists' perspective. must be frustrating. (i mean, yeah, getting paid to make stuff is cool. but still.)

WorzelG
10-22-2013, 01:39 AM
sucks. just from the artists' perspective. must be frustrating. (i mean, yeah, getting paid to make stuff is cool. but still.)

since it comes across like it was more the fact that Trent said the song was an 'irritant' that it got scrapped, I think they should just release it virally with no fanfare and see what happens

I'd rather see the scrapped EDIETS video first. The teaser photos got me so interested.

Wonder if that will turn up like that red room March of the Pigs video did on the Closure DVD, when some landmark for With Teeth happens (it's 10 years in 2 years isn't it?)

captainbeyond
10-22-2013, 02:02 AM

Let's put this into perspective, when NIN was opening for a European leg of GN'R's giant world arena tour, and they were getting booed off the stage and pelted with tomatoes. On the other hand, during that same month, Guns N' Roses releases two albums on the same day and they both chart at #1 and #2.

One week after that, Nevermind is released and months later goes on to replace Michael Jackson as #1 in the chart, continuing on to sell 30 million copies.

Trent's success and uprising seemed to happen 3 years after this....

Ryan
10-22-2013, 02:33 AM
The Frail (Version) into The Wretched (Version) from Things Falling Apart would be sexy live.

nooneimportant
10-22-2013, 04:48 AM

It's right here! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuyTwEK7eCM

eversonpoe
10-22-2013, 08:07 AM
The Frail (Version) into The Wretched (Version) from Things Falling Apart would be sexy live.

especially since josh was involved in remixing the frail!

SarahConnor
10-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Damn, wish In Two didn't end right in the middle of that coda.

fillow
10-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Damn, wish In Two didn't end right in the middle of that coda.
This. It was just getting to the best past with that AWESOME NOISY SO- oh wait it's over.

sweeterthan
10-22-2013, 01:33 PM

That's so annoying! Why would they scrap it? I was driving around this weekend blasting "everything" with the windows down. It was a sunny fall day and I couldn't help but appreciate that there's a nin song to blast on a beautiful day.

Trent said in an interview he doesn't care what we think. Great! Release the damn video then. It's a great song. Stop worrying about the reaction and do what you want to do: release the single.

Charmingly Miserable
10-22-2013, 08:26 PM
but i used to see a lot of NIN shirts. just depends where and when you're talking about. these days, are band t-shirts even popular?

I wonder about this too. I have a bad ass Soundgarden shirt and wonder if it would be dumb to wear in public. (I still wear it anyways.) I think it just depends on the band. I think it's kind of funny to see someone wearing a Celine Dione shirt (and I have seen people wear that) over someone wearing a Depeche Mode or a NIN shirt. I guess those people who wear the Celine Dione, Tim McGraw or Jennifer Lopez shirts don't feel funny wearing them out; but its a little weird to me. Whatever floats their boat. I guess they would say that I was funny for rocking my NIN shirt.

PS- Dudes: if you want to score a chick/guy, wear a Smiths shirt. Honestly, you'll score every time. ;)

Emil Dorbell
10-23-2013, 01:32 AM
This. It was just getting to the best past with that AWESOME NOISY SO- oh wait it's over.

It doesn't end, it just goes into the next song. Seamless and perfect.

allegro
10-23-2013, 07:41 AM
But that's just me. I love those albums, but they don't fit with my idea of what a concept album is. Year Zero

I just meant that, to me, TDS isn't a concept album, it doesn't tell a story, it's just Reznor writing about various topics like he always has. If TDS is a concept album, every other album in existence can be shoehorned into that box as well. Year Zero is the odd one out, as it actually has a concept other than "Trent Reznor's Journal and Progress Log".

Moved from NIN Spotting.

TDS is a concept album about power and one man's drive to obtain as much power as possible, perhaps to hide or replace his own lack of power; power through sex, power through drugs, power through a gun; he admires God and His level of power (like Satan in "Paradise Lost"), sex brings him closer to the level of God's power, but the female in Reptile has more power than him. Etc etc etc. We've linked a few grad school thesis papers here that went into some pretty cool detail. We used to have a really huge but fascinating thread, here, solely about the female in Reptile and her power.

For instance, see this (http://blogcritics.org/trent-reznors-uneasy-virtue-looking-back/).
"Meanwhile, Reznor’s narrative “i” systematically distanced itself from the archetypal powers of the Ultimate Object (all you out there who’ve ever read any postmodern or feminist theory will know the object of which I speak), and framed icky self-loathing and masochistic sexual stylings in so much raw competence and aggression as to manufacture a positively riveting relationship between itself and his audience. If the confluence of Reznor’s literal and figurative sense rejected The Object and it’s Powers, he was so clearly and impressively the master of them that his performances were a veritable exercize in penetration. It was that charismatic mixture of over-intended, pure, dominating egotism, and totally Julia Kristeva, Powers-of-Horror -worthy abjection that fueled the production of slavish armies of sweaty teenaged dominatrixes and boys in fishnets and eyeliner, each one feeling all naughty and conflicted, except in their desire to make sweet love to their cornstarch-coated rock and roll fetish doll: a reaction which placed Reznor firmly in a position of ultimate-object-bearing power, which only justified his legitimate reasons for nuclear weapons grade angst. Good shit."

GibbonBlack
10-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I wonder about this too. I have a bad ass Soundgarden shirt and wonder if it would be dumb to wear in public. (I still wear it anyways.) I think it just depends on the band. I think it's kind of funny to see someone wearing a Celine Dione shirt (and I have seen people wear that) over someone wearing a Depeche Mode or a NIN shirt. I guess those people who wear the Celine Dione, Tim McGraw or Jennifer Lopez shirts don't feel funny wearing them out; but its a little weird to me. Whatever floats their boat. I guess they would say that I was funny for rocking my NIN shirt.

PS- Dudes: if you want to score a chick/guy, wear a Smiths shirt. Honestly, you'll score every time. ;)

I wore a Britney t-shirt to the NiN concert at the 02 in '09. The funniest part was some guy on the tube afterwards telling me he was cooler than me because he was in to Nine Inch Nails and not that Britney shit.

Khrz
10-23-2013, 09:41 AM
We've linked a few grad school thesis papers here that went into some pretty cool detail.

As thought out and in depths as analyses are, they are just that. And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I'm not arguing the subtext, I'm arguing the actual artist's intent, and how the work is being advertised afterwise.
And I'm aware that there are, concerning TDS, hundreds of reports, interviews, theses arguing the opposite, even Reznor himself called it a "self-fulfilling prophecy", articulating that it came as a concept before it became his life.
I just can't help but see it as an extreme journal of sort, written at a time when Reznor was sliding down. That's not a concept album to me.

It's just me though, and I'm certainly not claiming to be right about it.

m15a
10-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I just can't help but see it as an extreme journal of sort, written at a time when Reznor was sliding down. That's not a concept album to me.

what's a concept album to you? to me, it sounds like you just described a concept that spans the whole album, which makes the album a concept album.

Khrz
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Well in this case, every album is a concept album. Before my post was split from NIN-Spotting, I mentioned In Utero as an example. If TDS is a concept album, In Utero is one as well, or Mer de Noms, just pick any record... If writing songs about the place you're at and how you feel makes a concept album, well everything's conceptual, and the world's void of meaning.

To me, a concept album has to follow some strict rules, some Oulipo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oulipo) of sorts. You have a set of restraints, and create inside those boundaries.

allegro
10-23-2013, 10:24 AM
To me, a concept album has to follow some strict rules, some Oulipo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oulipo) of sorts. You have a set of restraints, and create inside those boundaries.

I can't help it that you have a very personal specific esoteric view of a concept album, but I think you need to do more research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album). I lived through the 70s, trust me, TDS is a concept album.

TDS has a narrative, a protagonist, a turning point and a denouement.

I'm arguing the actual artist's intent
In a few interviews, Reznor stated that, with TDS, he was exploring power and the various uses of power, including the use of sex as power. I'm working right now, but if I have time I'll try to track down said interviews later.

He also said this (http://www.uncut.co.uk/nine-inch-nails/interview-trent-reznor-feature#TBHqoFy2Ho3UzWtY.99):
"The record was exploring a narrative about someone who systematically examines every aspect of their life and then destroys it on a path to trying to find some other solution. I'd started with that theme and fitted songs into the storyline, dealing with religion and sex and drugs and the record ended with some sort of conclusion that could have been suicide, but certainly wasn't a positive place."

And he said this (http://www.npr.org/2011/12/19/143834396/trent-reznor-the-fresh-air-interview):
"I decided to write a conceptual record that told the story of somebody that was futilely trying to fill up a hole in their being with whatever it might be — sex or drugs, or to try to escape from a sense of emptiness," Reznor says. "And I felt that that created a framework where I could write these songs that all kind of made sense."

I accidentally ran into this guy's comparison of Wagner's "Tristan and Isolde" to "The Downward Spiral," (http://geheimnisvollemusik.wordpress.com/tag/reznor-trent/) fascinating stuff, and here's what he says:
"The ninth track of The Downward Spiral is an unnerving and terrifying song, befitting themes explored throughout the album: self-aggrandizement, self-destruction, and ultimately hopelessness. “Big Man with a Gun” graphically portrays the protagonist’s rock-hard, but essentially impotent, machismo; an empty desire to use sex for power and humiliation. The lyrics make this very clear. In a way, so too does the guitar theme, which draws upon conventions similar to those described by Hospers. Not that it sounds exactly like the Liebestod, but there are vague echoes of it. Significantly, the Liebestod soars, while the guitar theme in “Big Man with a Gun” generally plays the same notes over and over, with no apparent resolution aside from a slight crescendo near the end."

Khrz
10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey, as I said, it's just my opinion. I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throat, I was merely expressing a feeling about that record. If that is an annoyance, I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

allegro
10-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey, as I said, it's just my opinion. I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throat, I was merely expressing a feeling about that record. If that is an annoyance, I'll refrain from doing so in the future.
Well, but you argued the lack of artist's intent; Reznor has clearly indicted intent in interviews.

I think the album is a lot more complex than you think.

edit: This college thesis is really interesting! (http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1654&context=etd_hon_theses), highly recommended! I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it's a great analysis.

m15a
10-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Well in this case, every album is a concept album. Before my post was split from NIN-Spotting, I mentioned In Utero as an example. If TDS is a concept album, In Utero is one as well, or Mer de Noms, just pick any record... If writing songs about the place you're at and how you feel makes a concept album, well everything's conceptual, and the world's void of meaning.

i don't want to argue this so much since i agree that the common usage of "concept album" is very broad and maybe not a great label to use these days (as opposed to, say, the 60s or 70s). but every album is not written about a certain place the songwriter is at and how they feel. (i'll offer LP5 by autechre and "please please me" by the beatles as counterexamples . . just looking through my iTunes.)

eh. like i said, it doesn't matter much. personally, i think less focus should be put on the narrative and themes of music (or rather, more focus should also be placed elsewhere). also, i wonder if you'd consider "the slip" to be a concept album. it had some fairly strict rules, although maybe not oulipo strict. (btw, i didn't expect to see "oulipo" mentioned on here, so that's kind of neat.)

actually, what are some albums that do have oulipo-type restraints? i'd listen to them.

allegro
10-23-2013, 03:54 PM
i don't want to argue this so much since i agree that the common usage of "concept album" is very broad and maybe not a great label to use these days (as opposed to, say, the 60s or 70s)
Remember that a lot of the "concept albums" from the 60s and 70s were actually "rock operas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_opera)," which is a very specific form of concept album. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera. The concept albums of the 90s through now are just as valid and interesting, I still think it's a valid term - particularly if the artist has indicated that a concept album was his/her intent (as has Reznor re TDS).

m15a
10-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Remember that a lot of the "concept albums" from the 60s and 70s were actually "rock operas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_opera)," which is a very specific form of concept album. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera. The concept albums of the 90s through now are just as valid and interesting, I still think it's a valid term - particularly if the artist has indicated that a concept album was his/her intent (as has Reznor re TDS).

i'm not saying that more recent albums don't fit the definition well. and i admit i'm not really a huge expert on music from then (i just like what i like), but my impression is that at least in the 60s, concept albums were really rare or at least pretty alternative, whereas now the idea of a concept album is more well-known by artists and sort of a more standard option.

but, now that i think of it, i don't listen to nearly enough music to know that for sure. so, yeah, just ignore what i said if it's totally wrong. :-)

WorzelG
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Moved from NIN Spotting.

TDS is a concept album about power and one man's drive to obtain as much power as possible, perhaps to hide or replace his own lack of power; power through sex, power through drugs, power through a gun; he admires God and His level of power (like Satan in "Paradise Lost"), sex brings him closer to the level of God's power, but the female in Reptile has more power than him. Etc etc etc. We've linked a few grad school thesis papers here that went into some pretty cool detail. We used to have a really huge but fascinating thread, here, solely about the female in Reptile and her power.

For instance, see this (http://blogcritics.org/trent-reznors-uneasy-virtue-looking-back/).
"Meanwhile, Reznor’s narrative “i” systematically distanced itself from the archetypal powers of the Ultimate Object (all you out there who’ve ever read any postmodern or feminist theory will know the object of which I speak), and framed icky self-loathing and masochistic sexual stylings in so much raw competence and aggression as to manufacture a positively riveting relationship between itself and his audience. If the confluence of Reznor’s literal and figurative sense rejected The Object and it’s Powers, he was so clearly and impressively the master of them that his performances were a veritable exercize in penetration. It was that charismatic mixture of over-intended, pure, dominating egotism, and totally Julia Kristeva, Powers-of-Horror -worthy abjection that fueled the production of slavish armies of sweaty teenaged dominatrixes and boys in fishnets and eyeliner, each one feeling all naughty and conflicted, except in their desire to make sweet love to their cornstarch-coated rock and roll fetish doll: a reaction which placed Reznor firmly in a position of ultimate-object-bearing power, which only justified his legitimate reasons for nuclear weapons grade angst. Good shit."

That woman almost makes me feel guilty for loving The Fragile - almost!

theimage13
10-24-2013, 07:01 PM
How in the hell did I not know that there were rehearsal soundboards (http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/201306xxrehearsals.html) from this year??!!?!?!??!?!?!

Charmingly Miserable
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
How in the hell did I not know that there were rehearsal soundboards (http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/201306xxrehearsals.html) from this year??!!?!?!??!?!?!
I would have liked to hear the tidbits where T-Rez is giving feedback/notes but that stuff was edited out. I have heard both sides of editing out those bits and I'll respect the decision to edit that stuff out. Still, it would have been interesting to hear all those audio nuggets.

Ryan
10-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I would have liked to hear the tidbits where T-Rez is giving feedback/notes but that stuff was edited out. I have heard both sides of editing out those bits and I'll respect the decision to edit that stuff out. Still, it would have been interesting to hear all those audio nuggets.

My version has nothing edited out if you want me to send (PM, etc).

pigpen
10-24-2013, 09:16 PM
does anyone else find it weird that during survivalism, there are people fucking in a bathroom??
I'm talking about "The Gift" or whatever that footage was called...

sick among the pure
10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
does anyone else find it weird that during survivalism, there are people fucking in a bathroom??
I'm talking about "The Gift" or whatever that footage was called...

Have you seen the unedited music video?

utterben
10-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Watching the We're In This Together video without sound is a pretty cool experience. Discovered entirely by accident.

Halo Infinity
10-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Now upon doing that, I finally thought of Copy Of A to that video. I don't know why on Earth I didn't think of doing that sooner. I probably must've forgotten due to so many thoughts going off in my mind at once simultaneously. :p

pigpen
10-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I have, yeah.. I just thought it was strange.

Halo Infinity
10-25-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm beginning to appreciate Everything more and more, as it's able to put a very nice spin on some of my depression. It helps me want to stick around for spite too, thus allowing me to move on. I sort of got that vibe from it too.

"Like yeah, I survived everything, so fuck you bitches!" :p

icecream
10-25-2013, 06:10 PM
I was thinking about the movie Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and was wondering when the next film would come out and who would direct it. Apparently Fincher is still interested in doing it. I remember when asked about scoring the second film, Trent said it depended on Fincher's involvement with the film. What's holding the film back is Daniel Craig's salary. Once that is taken care of, it seems like those next two films will be made. So, I guess my random thought is how this affects the future of NIN in let's say, 2014/15 and HDA as well. If Fincher signs on for the next two movies, and Trent does the next two scores, would it be 2016 before we hear from NIN again, assuming late next year and part of 2015 are dedicated to scoring?

henryeatscereal
10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
^I was wondering that too! i would love "The girl who played with fire" directed by Fincher with soundtrack by Trent and Atticus.
I do think that Trent can "balance out" the soundtracks with the band...

icecream
10-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I remember Fincher saying Trent had part of the Social Network score right after seeing an early cut of the movie. Hopefully he can work that fast and produce that quality of a sound track for the next two. It's just NIN has put out one of its best albums and, from what I have heard, best live shows in a while. I would hate for them to lose momentum because of the scores. I'm excited for the next two movies. Though, they said if they can't arrange a salary with Craig, then they might write him out of the movie.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
10-26-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DcmjH_Cmpk

Oh Courtney, how far you've fallen...

Scarlet Siren
10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
^^^^^ This video is spreading like a disease tonight! It's everywhere! AAAAAAHHHHH!!! WHY?!?!?

I better hear Into The Void at every show I go to next month. ARE YOU TAKING NOTE, TRENT?!?!? EVERY SHOW!!!

But I'll settle for once...

Halo Infinity
10-27-2013, 01:10 AM
I'd actually hope and wish to see Nine Inch Nails perform The Only Time and Happiness In Slavery on my 4th NIN concert if such a thing were to ever happen. I know it's highly unlikely, but it's one of those things that I like to dream about sometimes.

sick among the pure
10-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I'd actually hope and wish to see Nine Inch Nails perform The Only Time and Happiness In Slavery on my 4th NIN concert if such a thing were to ever happen. I know it's highly unlikely, but it's one of those things that I like to dream about sometimes.

The #1 dick tease ever, Chicago wave goodbye tour, night one. Opens with Pinion, then Wish, then Last... then 1,000,000. The only reason I cared about "OMG ARE WE GETTING BROKEN?!" is for HIS. One of my favorite songs.

Halo Infinity
10-27-2013, 02:02 AM
I'm sure he had to know what he was doing. He just had to. There's no way he didn't. (I get it's his choice and all, but still.) :confused:

dlb
10-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Ah here we are again... HAPPINESS IN FUCKING SLAVERY!!!

:)

Volband
10-27-2013, 06:43 AM
The #1 dick tease ever, Chicago wave goodbye tour, night one. Opens with Pinion, then Wish, then Last... then 1,000,000. The only reason I cared about "OMG ARE WE GETTING BROKEN?!" is for HIS. One of my favorite songs.
Haha, same shit in Hungary, but it was Discipline next.

Oh, yeah, random thoughts: I miss all those "Trent ranting about something" and random wtf videos from NIN's previous tours. You know, fan telling him the lyrics to Closer, singing the lyrics of Closer during Discipline, getting a bra, signing meathead's tour book (or whatever that was, haha), ranting about being cold, ranting about Bush sucks, these kind of things.

Halo Infinity
10-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Does anybody else also find themselves listening to Every Day Is Exactly The Same on the way to school and/or work often?

sick among the pure
10-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm sure he had to know what he was doing. He just had to. There's no way he didn't. (I get it's his choice and all, but still.) :confused:

Yeah, considering he did TDS the whole way through only a few nights before. Trent is a fucking troll, but I kinda love that about him.

nemesiswontdie
10-27-2013, 12:10 PM
As much as I'd love to see Broken played in its entirety, I would WAY rather see PHM played all the way through, especially reworked like how Sanctified is.

A man can dream.

m15a
10-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah, considering he did TDS the whole way through only a few nights before. Trent is a fucking troll, but I kinda love that about him.
They did that with PHM one night, too. (The troll thing, i mean.) It was actually really funny seeing everyone's reactions and knowing we were all thinking the same thing.

Halo Infinity
10-27-2013, 03:12 PM
How far into PHM did he go? Sanctified? Something I Can Never Have?

m15a
10-27-2013, 03:22 PM
How far into PHM did he go? Sanctified? Something I Can Never Have?
Just HLAH and TL. Then jumped to "sin".

blassster
10-27-2013, 07:43 PM
The new Came Back Haunted video. (http://vine.co/v/hDB2pLTDqzm) At least, for me :)

Also, I thought the line was "Gods on crosses for what I've done" instead of "Consequences for what I've done" before looking at the lyrics. Most of the time it still sounds like that to me.

Halo Infinity
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKaNlnVYEyM

thevoid99
10-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I remember that clip and that was a great one. Lou telling Trent that "you rock smart" and drinking a beer w/ him. We're going to miss him.

Halo Infinity
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I've always thought/believed that Nine Inch Nails is obviously more than capable of making another Broken and/or The Downward Spiral if he felt like it, but also just as obviously chooses not to. It just occurred to me again when I listened to the following songs.

Somewhat Damaged
Pilgrimage
Appendage
10 Miles High
The noise at the end of No, You Don't.
The screams in The Line Begins To Blur.
You Know What You Are?
Hyperpower!
My Violent Heart
19 - Ghosts III
Letting You
Black Noise

Driver Down
Tetsuo - Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme

An entire album or EP of most of these sounds and styles would be perfect for another Broken and/or TDS. (I'm also well aware that's what Trent hasn't been going for, and that he'd have to be sincere about it first. It's just that it always occurred to me whenever I listened to those songs.)

Charmingly Miserable
10-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Does anybody else also find themselves listening to Every Day Is Exactly The Same on the way to school and/or work often?
Present company included.

Also, I thought the line was "Gods on crosses for what I've done" instead of "Consequences for what I've done" before looking at the lyrics. Most of the time it still sounds like that to me.
Do we have a misheard lyrics thread? I need to post a few of my misheard lyrics.

Halo Infinity
10-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Oh yes, right this way. :)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2416-Mistaken-NIN-Lyrics

utterben
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Stumbled upon this today. "Short Edit" (not Radio Edit) of We're In This Together.
I knew of its existence but never thought to look for it.

Intro is pretty different. http://pleer.com/tracks/5341975h12y

Halo Infinity
10-30-2013, 03:27 PM
For a first-time listen, I think that would be pretty epic. However, I'll always love the LP version of We're In This Together the most.

icecream
10-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I remember that clip and that was a great one. Lou telling Trent that "you rock smart" and drinking a beer w/ him. We're going to miss him.
I already miss him :(

seasonsinthesky
10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Stumbled upon this today. "Short Edit" (not Radio Edit) of We're In This Together.

wow, yeah, that's a complete re-arrangement choice. i wonder how long they toiled over that one.

jubilee
10-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Okay I've looked through a load of this tour and the summer festival tour's set lists (having considered flying to Leeds or reading for NIN playing) , getting what I consider to be a fantastic set in Belfast's Belsonic I can't help but selfishly be annoyed by the fact I still havn't seen Discliplne live. Poppy, yes completely.

PS Belfast gig was truly amazing, still hoping for an audio of it. Would have recorded it myself too if I had some decent equipment.
pps this post was made possible entirely by the use and subsequent obsession with reflectingthechrome.

thevoid99
10-30-2013, 11:13 PM
I already miss him :(

Me too... :( I wish it was Lou Bega instead of the King of New York who died.

theimage13
11-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Last night I was talking to one of our truck drivers before the show. He was telling a story about being on tour with The Who in the early 2000s, and about getting the phone call that John Entwistle had been found dead.

"Two days later, I'm watching the concert go on as planned with Pino Palladino up there instead".

Small world, this music business thing.

Halo Infinity
11-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I forgot who exactly said it, and it was probably said in the Controversial NIN Opinions thread. It went something like: (Every Day Is Exactly The Same is an evolved version of Happiness In Slavery.) I could somehow see that. It makes me like to imagine some middle school or high school students performing Happiness In Slavery followed by Every Day Is Exactly The Same as a slight tongue in cheek reference to school, and luckily there aren't any curses in both songs.

Oh, and the more I came to term with "Fake it until you make it.", the more I needed Happiness In Slavery and Every Day Is Exactly The Same to cope with it.

Yoshata
11-02-2013, 02:42 AM
I was pretty surprised to discover that NIN will be performing on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Has NIN ever been on a late night talk show before?

I don't watch Jimmy Kimmel, but I will be recording Nov. 7th's episode just to catch NIN. :) Excited!

Halo Infinity
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I also don't want to miss it either. It's one of those things that's hard for me to believe, but I'm just thankful and glad to see that it's actually happening. :)

wizfan
11-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Has NIN ever been on a late night talk show before?

They've done something better. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

Ryan
11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
They've done something better. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GIGKYVeNCc

captainbeyond
11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Last night I was talking to one of our truck drivers before the show. He was telling a story about being on tour with The Who in the early 2000s, and about getting the phone call that John Entwistle had been found dead.

"Two days later, I'm watching the concert go on as planned with Pino Palladino up there instead".

Small world, this music business thing.

I always have frowned upon The Who for making that move as well. But then years later they admit that Entwistle still had a bad cocaine addiction and part of these tours were to help re-pay all of his debt problems. Still lame to do that to the guy who actually carried the balls for their music.

Halo Infinity
11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Listening to Down In It and Now I'm Nothing can be ironically and paradoxically uplifting in the sense that it's okay to accept that you are obviously finite, vulnerable and fallible as a human being. It teaches and reminds me to just come to terms with my own insecurities and purge myself of pride and arrogance that might cloud my judgement, overall sense of self-awareness and any chance at obtaining some form of enlightenment.

It's sometimes okay not to know, or never know, as I'm down in it. Down in it back to Earth and reality. However, it's always nice when the rain, rain goes away. ;)

theimage13
11-04-2013, 05:20 AM
I always have frowned upon The Who for making that move as well. But then years later they admit that Entwistle still had a bad cocaine addiction and part of these tours were to help re-pay all of his debt problems. Still lame to do that to the guy who actually carried the balls for their music.

There were actually a couple of stories in that vain that night, so apologies if I've already mixed up this one with another...but on at least one instance, they had a replacement touring with them and ready to go should anything happen. I don't remember if that was Pino for The Who, or one of the other acts that came up in conversation though.

Scarlet Siren
11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
It's surreal to think I'll be seeing NIN in LA in 3 days time - as soon as I arrive I need to head over to Jimmy Kimmel I guess.

I must get organised. I hate packing, ugh!

The_Prowler
11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
It's surreal to think I'll be seeing NIN in LA in 3 days time - as soon as I arrive I need to head over to Jimmy Kimmel I guess.

I must get organised. I hate packing, ugh!
Have fun! I'm quite envious of everyone who gets to go to that.

Let us all know how it was :)

dlb
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Thanks for posting! Guess I'll replace this one with the album version for my on the go playlist. I love the song but this tigther edit is great for a run.

gorast
11-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Is that from a specific release?

Frozen Beach
11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Am I the only one who can't listen to Burn without thinking of Kelso from That 70's Show?

TheBang
11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one who can't listen to Burn without thinking of Kelso from That 70's Show?
Quite possibly.

eversonpoe
11-05-2013, 04:17 PM

how did you brain make a connection between those two things?

Frozen Beach
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
how did you brain make a connection between those two things?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8Y6JJLSN4

pushingreality
11-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Is that from a specific release?

This promo. (http://www.nincollector.com/archive/releases/halo_15/15_d_1trk_cd_promo.htm)

eversonpoe
11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8Y6JJLSN4

ohhhhhhh ok. now i get it. i don't think my brain ever would have connected the two.

Halo Infinity
11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
It's only a matter of time before somebody actually mixes that into Burn. :p

henryeatscereal
11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
^please someone make that video and use footage of Red Forman when it says: "This world rejects me"

http://romeosidvicious.com/media/Red_Forman.jpg

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Feel like punching someone? You will after reading this (which I came across by googling "nine inch nails all the love" and setting the parameters to news within the last 24 hrs. wtf?)

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5799-the-fragile/

Khrz
11-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Well, glad it's still fresh and new for someone, somewhere !

Volband
11-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Feel like punching someone? You will after reading this (which I came across by googling "nine inch nails all the love" and setting the parameters to news within the last 24 hrs. wtf?)

Haha, found the same shit ~2 months ago.

Fangster_
11-06-2013, 05:08 AM

http://i41.tinypic.com/not4q9.jpg

Khrz
11-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Move on people, it's been 14 years already... (http://www.timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/15974586/“i-gave-sonic-youth-a-0-0-rating-on-pitchfork-”)

botley
11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
wow, yeah, that's a complete re-arrangement choice. i wonder how long they toiled over that one.
It's clever, in a way, but I imagine Reznor would have had problems with allowing it to represent the song — even the 'official' single edit is almost a full minute longer.

botley
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
There were actually a couple of stories in that vain that night, so apologies if I've already mixed up this one with another...but on at least one instance, they had a replacement touring with them and ready to go should anything happen. I don't remember if that was Pino for The Who, or one of the other acts that came up in conversation though.
I doubt it was The Who. Pete Townshend talks about this decision candidly in his recent autobiography and says they called Pino in only at the eleventh hour, primarily to save the jobs of everyone who was relying on the tour for income (truck drivers included).

m15a
11-06-2013, 03:42 PM
just filled out my nintourhistory. pretty surprised to see how many (unique) songs i've seen performed: 96 songs in 11 concerts. i've seen a few special shows (wave goodbye shows, the one with manson), but still, a pretty big variety. also didn't realize how many times i've seen Burn and TDTWWA. always a pleasant surprise even after so many times. actually, Reptile, too.

Charmingly Miserable
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
just filled out my nintourhistory. pretty surprised to see how many (unique) songs i've seen performed: 96 songs in 11 concerts. i've seen a few special shows (wave goodbye shows, the one with manson), but still, a pretty big variety. also didn't realize how many times i've seen Burn and TDTWWA. always a pleasant surprise even after so many times. actually, Reptile, too.
I used to have a thing against Reptile. Especially when TDS came out. It just freaked my sister and I. But after seeing it live, I have come to embrace it! It was definitely one of the summer festival favorites.

MrSlfDstruct
11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
The live performances of Reptile are what really drove that song home for me. It was especially awesome in Orlando with Gary Numan. It used to be one of my take it or leave it songs on TDS, now it's one of my favorites out of all albums.

I'm really hoping Tension gets the AATCHB treatment with both a video and audio release. I was pretty disappointed not to have an official CD counterpart to BYIT. Tension on Blu-ray would be mind-blowing.

jessamineny
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Reptile is a dirty goddamn song live. I likey.

Frozen Beach
11-07-2013, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhUhDAHVaug
This will always be my favorite version of Reptile.

Ryan
11-07-2013, 10:11 PM
The Eater Of Dreams, The Becoming and Please were all reportedly played at the rehearsal show:

http://www.ninwiki.com/2013/09/21_Los_Angeles,_CA

Y THEY NO BEEN PLAYED LIVE YET?!

fillow
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Because 20 shows later this setlist smells fake even more than it did back then

Halo Infinity
11-08-2013, 12:02 AM
This still seems to be my most favorite version of Sanctified being performed live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDD4HPZMWk

And this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evmt6wPrSYU

scorpiusdiamond
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
So I know I haven't been on here lately, but I just watched All Time Low from last night.
It was amazing. I really need them to announce UK dates NOW.
Also saw The Love In The World and got goosebumps. Yeaaaah. Pretty sure it's in my top three favourite NIN tracks.

thefragile_jake
11-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I am a hopeless dreamer in thinking that a Tension 2014 tour could happen with second market US dates?

jessamineny
11-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Nope. More than one member of the road crew has reportedly been heard saying that the band will be back in the States in the summer.

GrayscaleRain
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Nope. More than one member of the road crew has reportedly been heard saying that the band will be back in the States in the summer.

Sweet! n.n I really want to see a different run of songs from the last set (as great as it was.)

thefragile_jake
11-08-2013, 01:17 PM

You just made my day!

Halo Infinity
11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I just noticed that Barack Obama is following Trent Reznor on Twitter. That's so cool. (Yeah, that's a bit fanboyish of me, but still.) And I wasn't really on Twitter that much, so I would've definitely been way out of the loop if he was following him for quite while already. I also saw Queen, Weird Al, and Dave Coulier following him too. I actually thought John Stamos would've been the one to follow him.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
We finally get a chance to hear soundboard audio of VMOE, aaand they cut out my favorite part of the entire song. ("An effigy so wondrous to behold, Statements so profound, A place to bury everything I did, and burn it to the ground")

I'm sure it mainly had to do with time constraints, I was just jacked to hear it. ;P Either way, I'm just glad they got some exposure there.

gorast
11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
We finally get a chance to hear soundboard audio of VMOE, aaand they cut out my favorite part of the entire song. ("An effigy so wondrous to behold, Statements so profound, A place to bury everything I did, and burn it to the ground")

I'm sure it mainly had to do with time constraints, I was just jacked to hear it. ;P Either way, I'm just glad they got some exposure there.
VMoE had a ton of stuff cut out of it that made it sound really bad when I watched it last night, honestly. Probably had something to do with the mix, as well - everything felt really empty and separated.

Halo Infinity
11-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Whoa, I'm two months late to state this and counting, but when Trent Reznor said that Hesitation Marks was $10.00 or go fuck yourself, I thought the only way for that to be actually possible was if Hesitation Marks was at least $5.99 to $7.99 in stores so that you wouldn't have to use 1 cent more than a $10.00 bill when taxed. I even get that I wasn't supposed to take it that literally, but it always stuck with me when I bought Hesitation Marks for myself and a friend.

It was a normal price, but in actuality, I spent at least $12.00 the first time, and $13.00 the next time I got it. (But then again it was Best Buy, and most people here seemed to not be a fan of Best Buy due to bad pricing.) The deluxe version of Hesitation Marks was $20.99 or $21.99, which is a very similar price that The Fragile used to be in most stores. The Fragile is thankfully around $16.99 to $19.99 these days. However, Best Buy always seemed to have The Fragile at $24.99. And depending on the store, even The Slip costs around $20.99 or $21.99, but at least the bonus DVD made up for it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
VMoE had a ton of stuff cut out of it that made it sound really bad when I watched it last night, honestly. Probably had something to do with the mix, as well - everything felt really empty and separated.

Yeah, the mix wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but again...I'm sure it wasn't a decision the band was solely responsible for making. I'm still glad we get to hear it/see it in HD!

Halo Infinity
11-08-2013, 05:50 PM
To see Nine Inch Nails perform Pretty Hate Machine, and then Broken afterwards, would be one of the greatest highlights of my life, ever. When both releases are put together, the amount of songs are also the length of a typical set-list. :D

NINisamazing
11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I personally think this is the best tour nin has done as far as music. This band seems like they are capable of anything.

Halo Infinity
11-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Not that it ever left my mind entirely, but I wonder what became of the Hesitation Marks game somebody intended to make here.

EndlessLoveless
11-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Reptile is a dirty goddamn song live. I likey.

My fav live version is the one where TR gets pissed and throws guitar, then throws mic stand, then throws mic after giving a nice angry shout. And not missing a beat as far as the song goes. From with teeth tour i believe. Its so perfect. I used to watch it at least once a week. You can find it if you do a search of 'nin reptile trent pissed'. It happens during the first chorus i believe.

jmtd
11-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I haven't re listened to hesitation marks after my first 1-2 attempts, and the album has pretty my broken my NIN relistening streak. So weird given where I was in the run up to release. Hey ho. Still hoping on uk dates.

Volband
11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
My fav live version is the one where TR gets pissed and throws guitar, then throws mic stand, then throws mic after giving a nice angry shout. And not missing a beat as far as the song goes. From with teeth tour i believe. Its so perfect. I used to watch it at least once a week. You can find it if you do a search of 'nin reptile trent pissed'. It happens during the first chorus i believe.
Couldn't find it:(

Mutilated
11-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Handbrake can't see Reptile on disc 2 of And All That Could Have Been. I want to rip to my computer!! Dammit. Any solutions? Cheers

screwdriver
11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Handbrake can't see Reptile on disc 2 of And All That Could Have Been. I want to rip to my computer!! Dammit. Any solutions? Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpCocSDog_8

Halo Infinity
11-09-2013, 08:13 PM
After being so immersed in The NIN Hotline and Echoing the Sound, it's hard for me to picture being a fan of Nine Inch Nails and not knowing about those sites. I swear, it's like I became a messenger for both sites every time I meet a NIN fan that has never heard of both, or even one or the other. Did a lot of you also meet NIN fans that had no idea The NIN Hotline and ETS ever existed? (I'm not trying to say that it makes you better fan, but I love having this experience that comes with it, as well as getting to chat with other NIN fans, when I barely know any in real life, that I just want to share it with as many NIN fans as possible when I hear that they've never heard of both sites.)

captainbeyond
11-09-2013, 11:21 PM
So Voodoofest, ACL, Jimmy Kimmel, and an epic LA show all within a week. This is Tension NIN at their peak. Why is there not a new single being pushed right now?

gorast
11-09-2013, 11:46 PM

I think he throws all that shit at a stangehand, too. He threw a water bottle as well after drinking from it.

That video is one of my favorites.

Oh, I just noticed I snagged the 100th page. Rad.

Highly Psychological
11-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Ten NIN songs 2005-present

1 - Vessel
2 - Sunspots
3 - In This twilight (Fennez mix)
4 - The Collector
5 - My Violent Heart
6 - Home
7 - Capital G
8- Everything
9 - Various methods of escape
10 - Getting Smaller

WorzelG
11-10-2013, 02:00 PM
^^^^The Collector, Capital G, Everything and Getting Smaller? - very controversial

I'll need some time to think about this

In no particular order:

Zero Sum
All the Love in the World
Every Day is Exactly the Same
Me, I'm Not
Copy of A
Demon Seed
In Two
Various Methods of Escape
My Violent Heart
Right Where it Belongs
While I'm Still Here (Black Noise)

Top 11 because I couldn't decide between a few of them

Highly Psychological
11-10-2013, 03:17 PM
^^^^The Collector, Capital G, Everything and Getting Smaller? - very controversial

The response to Everything has been absurd, its a beautiful tune, im in the minority but i think its the best track on Hesitation Marks, have never felt so alienated as a NIN fan. I like a lot of Indie which im guessing a lot of NIN fans dont, it has the stripped down live sounding Punk Rock vibe which Getting Smaller and The Collector also had.

r_z
11-10-2013, 03:33 PM

1. 999,999
3. Letting You
4. Discipline
5. Echoplex
6. Head Down
7. Lights In The Sky
8 . Corona Radiata
9. The Four Of Us Are Dying
10. Demon Seed

m15a
11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
The response to Everything has been absurd, its a beautiful tune, im in the minority but i think its the best track on Hesitation Marks, have never felt so alienated as a NIN fan. I like a lot of Indie which im guessing a lot of NIN fans dont, it has the stripped down live sounding Punk Rock vibe which Getting Smaller and The Collector also had.

there are plenty of NIN fans that like Everything. there's just a loud minority who think they can proclaim that it is indisputably bad because, to them, it resembles something they've heard on the radio and thus isn't cool. discard that element and you'd see the same sort of broad range of opinions you see for every song on HM.

(you're still be in the minority just because there are 14 tracks on the album and there is very little consensus regarding the album, even among people on ETS.)

WorzelG
11-10-2013, 04:49 PM

I actually like Everything, it put a big smile on my face when I heard it first (and I still want to see that bloody video!) - it's just not top 10. Getting Smaller, I love the guitar, and the hum that gets louder towards the end. Not really keen on The Collector though and with Capital G I find it hard to get past the vocal style on the first verse, but it improves and I like the Michael Jackson vibe to the song

theimage13
11-10-2013, 05:28 PM
1. 999,999
3. Letting You
4. Discipline
5. Echoplex
6. Head Down
7. Lights In The Sky
8 . Corona Radiata
9. The Four Of Us Are Dying
10. Demon Seed

I understand that musical tastes are subjective, but...this is a joke, right?

Harry Seaward
11-10-2013, 06:07 PM

1. Various Methods of Escape
2. In This Twilight
3. Zero Sum
4. Right Where It Belongs
5. Discipline
6. All Time Low
7. 28 Ghosts IV
8. Non-Entity
9. Satellite
10. Meet Your Master (The Faint)

neorev
11-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmmm...

1. Beside You In Time
2. In This Twilight
3. All The Love In The World
4. Copy Of A
5. With Teeth
6. Satellite
7. My Violent Heart
8. Letting You
9. You Know What You Are
10. 19 Ghosts III

Halo Infinity
11-11-2013, 01:17 AM
This could also go into the Little things that cheer you up thread, but it really is nice to see With Teeth getting love. :D

gorast
11-11-2013, 01:45 AM

1. While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
2. Zero-Sum
3. Right Where it Belongs (v2)
4. Me, I'm Not
5. Various Methods of Escape
6. Sunspots
7. Home
8. Survivalism
9. In This Twilight
10. 34 Ghosts IV

EndlessLoveless
11-11-2013, 06:46 AM
1. The line begins to blur
2. AATCHB
3. TDTWWA
4. Various methods of escape
5. The new flesh
6. The way out is through
7. Besides you in time
8. The becoming
9. The fragile
10. I would for you

Of all time

EndlessLoveless
11-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Couldn't find it:(

Sorry. Search "nine inch nails reptile something goes wrong" First result. Again, starts during first chorus i think.

neorev
11-11-2013, 07:25 AM
This could also go into the Little things that cheer you up thread, but it really is nice to see With Teeth getting love. :D

Well out of the releases that came from 2005 on, With Teeth would be my number 1 followed by Hesitation Marks... something like this...

post 2005-NIN releases (not counting soundtrack work)...
1. With Teeth
2. Hesitation Marks
3. The Slip
4. Ghosts I-IV
5. Year Zero

screwdriver
11-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I can't be the only one who'd like to see them perform "zoo station", right?

dlb
11-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I totally adore zoo station. Had it on repeat the day before actually. Would be great to hear it live somehow.

henryeatscereal
11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
My Top 10...

1. Right Were it Belongs
2. Find my Way
3. Echoplex
4. 28 Ghosts IV
5. In this Twilight
6. Lights in the Sky
7. Only
8. Copy of A
9. Capital G
10. The Line Begins to blur

EndlessLoveless
11-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Shit 2005 on...i did all time
2005 on:

1. The line begins to blur
2. Various methods of escape
3. Beside you in time
4. I would for you
5. All the love in the world
6. The great destroyer
7. In two
8. The good soldier
9. All time low
10. 1,000,000

edit- dammit i forgot home.....home is number 5 and everything else is moved down

fillow
11-11-2013, 09:48 AM

only if it includes guest appearance from BONO

yeah yeah yeah yeah

screwdriver
11-11-2013, 10:44 AM
My top 10 since 2005:

1) TLBTB/BYIT/RWIB (sorry, I'm cheating, but it's THAT GOOD and conceptually one big arc)
2) All the Love in the World
3) Copy of A
4) Head Down
5) Discipline
6) EDIETS
7) Disappointed
8) In Two
9) Ghosts 3
10) CBH

Now that I write it out… man, Year Zero is such a non-entity for me. In This Twilight is great live, but everything else… eh.

Vertigo
11-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Might want to move these into another thread for top 10 since 2005...
Anyway.

1. Tetsuo theme
2. All The Love In The World
3. Right Where It Belongs
4. Various Methods Of Escape
5. Copy Of A
6. Zero-Sum
7. The Line Begins To Blur
8. While I'm Still Here
9. The Warning
10. Find My Way

dlb
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
My top ten from 2005 onwards:

getting smaller
beside you in time
me, I'm not
copy of a
in two
in this twilight
all the love in the world
non-entity
all time low
I would for you

jubilee
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
2005 Onwards top songs NOT including Hesitation Marks just yet as I still need more time to digest and assimilate.

1. Zero Sum
2. Discipline
3. Sunspots
4. The Good Soldier
5. All The Love In The World
6. The Four Of Us Are Dying
7. In This Twilight
8. You Know What You Are
9. The Line begins To Blur (Live BYIT plz)
10. Meet Your Master

This order is most certainly subject to change.

WorzelG
11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Might want to move these into another thread for top 10 since 2005...
Anyway.

1. Tetsuo theme
2. All The Love In The World
3. Right Where It Belongs
4. Various Methods Of Escape
5. Copy Of A
6. Zero-Sum
7. The Line Begins To Blur
8. While I'm Still Here
9. The Warning
10. Find My Way

I completely forgot about the Tetsuo thing!

sick among the pure
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM

My NIN touring buddy actually said she was hoping he'd play it at the shows we went to. I mean, she knew he wouldn't be, but loved the idea.

Trains
11-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Can't resist...

1 - All The Love In The World
2 - The Good Soldier
3 - In This Twilight
4 - Discipline
5 - The Greater Good
6 - God Given
7 - Copy of a
8 - Another Version of the Truth
9 - Various Methods of Escape
10 - Zero-Sum

Halo Infinity
11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I actually thought that Capital G was like the Only of Year Zero. It didn't seem to be singled out as a bad song.

WorzelG
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I actually thought that Capital G was like the Only of Year Zero. It didn't seem to be singled out as a bad song.
I think I got that impression from nin.com more than here

Halo Infinity
11-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Whoa, I've hardly noticed that. I wouldn't have expected that from NIN.com at all.

SarahConnor
11-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I won on EBay a tee shirt from the 2010 reissue of Pretty Hate Machine. Don't think its that rare but I like the design and haven't seen one myself. Rad.

Charmingly Miserable
11-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Came Back Haunted is a cheesy guilty pleasure of mine.

littlemonkey613
11-12-2013, 05:13 AM

Idk how the fuck ya'll like put them in order and shit too. I can barely choose to begin with. Mk so..

My Violent Heart
Zero Sum
In This Twilight
All Time Low
Satellite
Beside You In Time
All The Love In The World
Head Down
34 Ghosts IV
Another Version of the Truth (the kronos one)

BRoswell
11-12-2013, 05:32 AM

Hmm, let's see. In no order:

Beside You In Time
Vessel
Theme For Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
Survivalism
God Given
Copy Of A
Came Back Haunted
I Would For You
While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
31 Ghosts IV

Indefinite_Cure
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM

1 - Right Where it Belongs
2 - In This Twilight
3 - Various Methods of Escape
4 - In Two
5 - Meet Your Master
6 - Love is Not Enough
7 - Everyday is Exactly the Same
8 - 28 Ghosts IV
9 - All the Love in the World
10 - Head Down

Now can I add another 10 'cause this was fucking hard to do!

11 - Vessel
12 - 1,000,000
13 - Copy of A
14 - Disappointed
15 - Sunspots
16 - The Good Soldier
17 - The Hand That Feeds
18 - Lights in the Sky
19 - Discipline
20 - Home

Halo Infinity
11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Came Back Haunted is a cheesy guilty pleasure of mine.

It sort of makes me wonder what you'd think of this, as it can only get cheesier from there. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANDjI51sLc

And well, I also hope to see Nine Inch Nails again next year.

Charmingly Miserable
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
It sort of makes me wonder what you'd think of this, as it can only get cheesier from there. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANDjI51sLc

That was a joke, right? Lol Definitely cheesey.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-13-2013, 12:31 AM
OK, maybe I can do this. In order of appearance:

Love is Not Enough
With Teeth
Right Where it Belongs
The Beginning of the End
The Greater Good
In This Twilight
10 Ghosts II
Copy of a
In Two
While I'm Still Here

I already had these whittled down to 23 tracks, but Year Zero could have contributed ten of them all by itself (The Greater Good was the last one standing in an all-out brawl with Capital G, The Warning and Meet Your Master. Jesus).

theimage13
11-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Given how much I love Find My Way, I thought I'd use it to create a Pandora station.

Shittiest Pandora station EVER.

butter_hole
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I won on EBay a tee shirt from the 2010 reissue of Pretty Hate Machine. Don't think its that rare but I like the design and haven't seen one myself. Rad.
You mean like this one? (http://store.nin.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=21)

Halo Infinity
11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
This is obviously by far one of the best and most active Nine Inch Nails threads ever. It's like it really should get nailed or something. ;)

littlemonkey613
11-13-2013, 11:31 PM
How was With Teeth generally received on ETS and by NIN fans in general when it came out? I started coming on here a little before Year Zero was released so I have no idea.

Oh I guess that qualifies more as a random question than a thought.. wutevs

Ryan
11-13-2013, 11:39 PM
How was With Teeth generally received on ETS and by NIN fans in general when it came out? I started coming on here a little before Year Zero was released so I have no idea.

I remember when the 30 second samples first leaked (I posted them on the old ETS after they bubbled up on an A Perfect Circle forum), and it was mixed. People seemed to either love it or hate it.

My initial reaction was Trent was being quite the homo with the sample lyrics we heard from The Collector about being a good boy and swallowing it all.

Ryan
11-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Anyone else find NIN fans to be more attractive both physically and mentally than fans of other bands?

somethingelse
11-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Accidental facepalm! I love you.

edit- There's an unfacepalm button, huzzah!

SarahConnor
11-14-2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-2010-NIN-ALTERNATE-LOGO-ALBUM-T-Shirt-XL-Black-Nine-Inch-Nails-/261322385242?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=XdYGYM44aYhT73jrtVe1ZJG2EgY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

...unsure if that posted correctly. That's the shirt.

Tee shirts are my favorite form of pop art. I now have hundreds of them. Since high school, my brother and I owned many NIN shirts and during my starving artist days I sold all of them on eBay to make ends. Now that I'm settled I'd like to have some affordable NIN shirts again. I don't need to spend alotta cash getting say the Broken one or the 'ninetynine' one again.

staleincense
11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Given how much I love Find My Way, I thought I'd use it to create a Pandora station.

Shittiest Pandora station EVER.
What kind of stuff did you get?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Anyone else find NIN fans to be more attractive both physically and mentally than fans of other bands?
I try to avoid eye contact with fans in general, so they could be 4 feet tall and bald for all I know.

… Well, if they were 4 feet tall, avoiding eye contact would be really easy. So I'll have to go with 5 feet.

theimage13
11-14-2013, 12:39 PM
What kind of stuff did you get?

Four straight songs that I skipped within 30 seconds each. All just weird acoustic shit, including some sort of Jesus Is My Homeboy type of song (probably due to the lyrical content of FMW, now that I think of it).

theimage13
11-14-2013, 12:42 PM
I try to avoid eye contact with fans in general, so they could be 4 feet tall and bald for all I know.

… Well, if they were 4 feet tall, avoiding eye contact would be really easy. So I'll have to go with 5 feet.

No. I've seen a lot of NIN fans (at concerts, anyway) who give me the willies either physically, mentally, or both. Now, there ARE some that I've had my share of impure thoughts about...but on the whole, I wouldn't put them higher than any other group.

Halo Infinity
11-14-2013, 04:38 PM

From what I recall as somebody that's been to ETS since 2004, while there were still people that loved it back in 2005-2006, but it definitely seems much more appreciated now. Then again, that shouldn't be a surprise, since as I like to say, Nine Inch Nails ages like a fine wine anyway. ;)

However, the overall reaction and reception to Hesitation Marks right now, sort of looks and feels like how the With Teeth era was taken back then. It really is like With Teeth all over again, and I certainly mean that in the best way possible. :)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
No. I've seen a lot of NIN fans (at concerts, anyway) who give me the willies either physically, mentally, or both.
I've seen people in the mirror who do that to me all the time.

Here's a playlist based on Find My Way, generated by Lazify (a Spotify app). Maybe it'll do better than Pandora.

http://open.spotify.com/user/theflp/playlist/6lQjubh5iMGNH0YFEuiUy8

littlemonkey613
11-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Nine Inch Nails ages like a fine wine anyway. ;)

Holy fuck that is perfect. I never know how to argue when someone like listens to a few songs of them and is like "meh I don't get it". Yeah b/c you've spent 2 minutes with it..

I wish people weren't so impatient when it comes to music. Thankfully my dad raised me with the habit of treating music as something you need to get to know. I know for certain that my first impression is not to be trusted. I've discovered and loved so much great music that way. People are looking to be grabbed instantly instead of slowly seduced when it comes to music, and it just sucks because they really limit their possible taste horizons that way.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-14-2013, 09:31 PM
I know for certain that my first impression is not to be trusted. I've discovered and loved so much great music that way. People are looking to be grabbed instantly instead of slowly seduced when it comes to music, and it just sucks because they really limit their possible taste horizons that way.
This is something I wrestle with on a philosophical level. In the old days I needed three listens to form an opinion; but now that I've traded my CD/MP3 collection for Spotify, my voracious appetite for new music means I don't get to hear much of anything more than once. I burn through two hours of music every day on my commute, and most of it is stuff I'm hearing for the first time ever.

My list of Starred tracks has become my new record collection: songs I'm willing to play more than once. But with my drive time devoted mostly to new music and my "collection" growing every day — 8,486 songs by today's count — how can I possible get around to hearing it all?

I've traded depth for an impossibly wide ocean, and it's both good and less-good. I may not play many of those songs a second time, but they can lead me deeper into an artist's catalog or laterally to other bands I would never hear otherwise.

Broadbent
11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't know why Trent decides to keep playing Survivalism live. I can't be the only guy that hates that song, not to mention it translate horribly live.

GibbonBlack
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM

I can't speak for anyone else here. But I am quite something

Charmingly Miserable
11-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know why Trent decides to keep playing Survivalism live. I can't be the only guy that hates that song, not to mention it translate horribly live.
I think you are. It's one of my favorite live renditions.

Halo Infinity
11-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Nine Inch Nails has to be, and is one of those reasons why I feel so lucky to have been born into this lifetime. (Although, it could've also helped if I was born some time around at least 1975-1978 with the exposure of Nine Inch Nails in 1989 to have gotten that full experience as somebody that was in his late childhood or early adolescence when Pretty Hate Machine came out.) I've seen several people here and at NIN.com that have grown up with Nine Inch Nails since 1989, and I could only imagine what that must've been like. And knowing that most of them still feel the same way about NIN is just awesome and uplifting as well.

I say that because it's not just because it obviously showcases NIN's talent and enjoyable music, but it also shows how loyal and ardent NIN fans can really be. (Not that such a thing is anything new, but the thought of it does cheer me up from time to time, since such a warm and long-term reception of love and loyalty has obviously helped NIN last so long.)

sick among the pure
11-15-2013, 02:11 AM

You're from Canada, you don't understand.
/joke

Omega
11-15-2013, 03:44 AM
I groove out to Satellite all the time now:).

fillow
11-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Tetsuo theme flows pretty nicely into The Eater of Dreams

icecream
11-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I think In This Twilight into Zero Sum piano outro then into In Two would be really cool. Or The Frail into In Two.

staleincense
11-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Tetsuo theme flows pretty nicely into The Eater of Dreams
I can actually imagine that working really well, I've got to try it out...