PDA

View Full Version : Personal NIN arrangements

fan-since-96
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I was wondering if there is a site or discussion about fan made mixes of NIN? I don't mean remixes of songs, but rearranging songs with DJ software so that they bleed through (heh heh). I know there was a ripoff of the Fragile some idiot sold on itunes recently, but I think it would be fun to be able to freely share our rearrangement projects with each other (legally). Seems like a worthy distraction while waiting for new material.

seasonsinthesky
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
i was gonna say that people post mixes on SoundCloud as single tracks all the time, but that's pretty legally dubious too.

there are websites for compiling mixtapes but i don't think they let you crossfade or anything (do they? never tried them specifically).

BRoswell
01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I've made extended versions of albums as well as my own personal mixes, but they're usually just for my ears only. I don't do any beat matching or anything like that, but I do try to make the tracks blend as well as possible. It's just interesting hearing your favorite songs in different orders and combinations.

Callahan
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I would actually be curious to listen to other mixes as well. I really liked the Rusty Nails bootleg way back in the day, would love to see something like that revived.

fillow
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
the only two things i cooked for my myself with Sound Forge a few years back were Right Where It Belongs V.3 (which is album version + V2 version + BYIT live version all mixed on top of each other) and an extended cut of Adrift and at Peace/La Mer/Into the Void/Slipping Away all with 3-5 seconds of nice (to my ears) crossfade

fan-since-96
01-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I wansn't aware of the soundcloud mixes. I started to crossfade my mixes as soon as I heard the Fragile center travesty on youtube. I made my own arrangement of the material as a sort of cleansing ritual and made a really nice blend from the Le Mer remix to Into the Void, as well as blending 10 Miles High into its proper place. It really wasn't hard, because I have FL Studio.

I understand the subjective nature of making mixes, but I would be happy to share some of mine in exchange for different takes from other people. Today I blended most of Broken with the Quake soundtrack and a few TDS/Lost Highway tracks, The result is very interesting.

If you post a mix to soundcloud for free and acknowledge Nothing/Interscope does that still count as piracy?

ItsJustDave
01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
If you post a mix to soundcloud for free and acknowledge Nothing/Interscope does that still count as piracy?

Depends on the license the music was released under. Most of the NIN catalog is NOT released as Creative Commons, so there's really only a tiny subset that's legal

fan-since-96
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. I've got an idea for getting around the legality issue. Assuming that those who frequent this forum all legally own an extensive catalogue of NIN music, we can list our playlists in the following fashion:
1. Albums/Soundtracks/singles used in mix.
2. Tracklist in proper order for mix.
3. Rundown on what editing, if any will produce best results (this can be as general or detailed as the mixer wants).

With this type of approach, if you want to hear it, you have to craft it, with plenty of room to make changes/variations/improvements along the way. Then you can post your own interpretation of someone else's theme. I'll try to submit one of my own playlists as an example.

By the way, I bought Rusted Nails back in 98 or so at a CD warehouse and loved it! That was definitely the inspiration for my own projects.

sheepdean
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Er, what's wrong with remix.nin.com?

fan-since-96
01-11-2013, 10:41 PM
As far as I know, remix.nin.com is about remixing individual tracks. Im talking about arranging many tracks into new playlist mixes.