PDA

View Full Version : 85th Academy Awards

october_midnight
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Complete list of 85th Annual Academy Award nominations announced Thursday:

1. Best Picture: Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty.

2. Actor: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook; Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln; Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables; Joaquin Phoenix, The Master; Denzel Washington, Flight.

3. Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty; Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook; Emmanuelle Riva, Amour; Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild; Naomi Watts, The Impossible.

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, Argo; Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook; Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master; Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln; Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained.

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, The Master; Sally Field, Lincoln; Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables; Helen Hunt, The Sessions; Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook.

6. Directing: Michael Haneke, Amour; Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild; Ang Lee, Life of Pi; Steven Spielberg, Lincoln; David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook.

7. Foreign Language Film: Amour, Austria; Kon-Tiki, Norway; No, Chile; A Royal Affair, Denmark; War Witch, Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, Argo; Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild; David Magee, Life of Pi; Tony Kushner, Lincoln; David O.
Russell, Silver Linings Playbook.

9. Original Screenplay: Michael Haneke, Amour; Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained; John Gatins, Flight; Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom; Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty.

10. Animated Feature Film: Brave; Frankenweenie; ParaNorman; The Pirates! Band of Misfits; Wreck-It Ralph.

11. Production Design: Anna Karenina, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln.

12. Cinematography: Anna Karenina, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Skyfall.

13. Sound Mixing: Argo, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Skyfall.

14. Sound Editing: Argo, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Skyfall, Zero Dark Thirty.

15. Original Score: Anna Karenina, Dario Marianelli; Argo, Alexandre Desplat; Life of Pi, Mychael Danna; Lincoln, John Williams; Skyfall, Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: Before My Time from Chasing Ice, J. Ralph; Everybody Needs a Best Friend from Ted, Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane; Pi's Lullaby from Life of Pi, Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri; Skyfall from Skyfall, Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth; Suddenly from Les Miserables, Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil.

17. Costume: Anna Karenina, Les Miserables, Lincoln, Mirror Mirror, Snow White and the Huntsman.

18. Documentary Feature: 5 Broken Cameras, The Gatekeepers, How to Survive a Plague, The Invisible War, Searching for Sugar Man.

19. Documentary (short subject): Inocente, Kings Point, Mondays at Racine, Open Heart, Redemption.

20. Film Editing: Argo, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty.

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: Hitchcock, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Les Miserables.

22. Animated Short Film: Adam and Dog, Fresh Guacamole, Head over Heels, Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare, Paperman.

23. Live Action Short Film: Asad, Buzkashi Boys, Curfew, Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw), Henry.

24. Visual Effects: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Life of Pi, Marvel's The Avengers, Prometheus, Snow White and the Huntsman.

===============================================

No TDKR? Even cinematography or score? Booooooo...

marodi
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
No Bigelow or Affleck as best director? I'm a bit surprised.

richardp
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
PTA, Bigelow, Affleck all snubbed for Best Director, Master snubbed for Best Film and Cinematography = BULLSHIT.

Can't wait to see Lincoln and Les Mis sweep the Oscars. YAWN.

ManBurning
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Nice to see all the Django nominees there.

But what is all the fuss about this Silver Linings Playbook? I have never seen it, but judging from the trailer, it doesn't look like anything special. Is it really that good? It's made almost every "best of 2012" list I have seen...

Torgo
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
This is a boring Oscars. Even more boring than usual.

ambergris
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
This reduces my must-see-before Oscars list considerably. The nominations in the major categories are all shared between the same 5-10 movies. No outliers like, say, a nomination for Richard Gere in Arbitrage or something for Cloud Atlas. The obvious foreign movie Oscar to Amour also covers several other categories.

Vertigo
01-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm glad to see Anna Karenina win nods for Score, Cinematography, Costume and Production Design. Hardly anyone saw it (and I don't particularly recommend it, as you may want to shoot yourself from boredom during the second half) but it was exceptional in all those categories.

Mostly not jam-packed with surprises this year in my opinion, but like Marodi and Richardp said, some eyebrow-raising exclusions in the Best Director category.

thevoid99
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM
No original score nod for The Master nor any nominations for Holy Motors or Marion Cotillard for Rust and Bone. At least Amour got some worthy nods.

littlemonkey613
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
But what is all the fuss about this Silver Linings Playbook? I have never seen it, but judging from the trailer, it doesn't look like anything special. Is it really that good? It's made almost every "best of 2012" list I have seen...

I loved that movie but the fact that it was nominated and The Master wasn't is a joke. I also loved Jennifer Lawrence's performance but to even humor that it was oscar worthy is too a joke. Bradley Cooper was deserving though.

NotoriousTIMP
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Nice to see all the Django nominees there.

Silver Linings Playbook was really good; total sleeper of 2012 and I highly recommend it. Both Bradley Cooper and
Jennifer Lawrence were outstanding.

AgentofChaos
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
No Cloud Atlas anywhere, not even score or makeup. Utter horseshit.

NotoriousTIMP
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Oh reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/8hTHw

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Would have liked to see something from Looper on here.. :(

Kid Charlemagne
01-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Silver Linings Playbook deserves all the recognition it's gotten. Probably the best acted film of the year, no surprise since it is David O. Russell. Bummed that QT, Bigelow, and Affleck didn't get Director nods. This shit with Life of Pi is ridiculous though. I haven't sat through a more boring and pointless movie in years.

Fixer808
01-11-2013, 01:26 AM
I remember going to my friend's university grad back in like 2002 or something and having to sit through the dean reading a passage of that bullshit book. Hey Ang Lee, get back to tearjerking gay cowboy movies, overly long and depressing kung fu flicks and trying to have everyone hate you by adapting Marvel comics also-rans.

bobbie solo
01-11-2013, 02:10 AM
wow, this is a really weak year. southern wild is the only one i still need to see.

Alexandros
01-11-2013, 03:04 AM
Oh reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/8hTHw

Which movie is "The one that probably should win but won't"?

NotoriousTIMP
01-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Which movie is "The one that probably should win but won't"?

Beasts of the Southern Wind I believe

fillow
01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
I thought of adapted screenplay first. That book must've been a bitch to adapt.

Deadpool
01-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Still have some movies to see, but I'm rooting for Silver Linings. Just saw it and loved it. Career best performance for Bradley Cooper - fine work from Jennifer Lawrence and De Niro, too. David O. Russell is just one of those directors who can deftly navigate the humor and weight of a single scene with serious precision.

Nice to see Denzel get an acting nod for Flight. One of his best ever performances. I thought Flight was amazing - I got emotional a few times watching it. I feel like it should have been getting at least half the buzz that Argo's received the past few months.

Torgo
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Out of all this, I'm really glad that PES - Fresh Guacamole got a nod for animated short. It's fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMO6vjmkyI

botley
01-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm glad to see Anna Karenina win nods for Score, Cinematography, Costume and Production Design. Hardly anyone saw it (and I don't particularly recommend it, as you may want to shoot yourself from boredom during the second half) but it was exceptional in all those categories.
I was enraptured by Anna Karenina. Though I loved Django Unchained, in its stead Karenina & Prometheus should both have contended for Oscars in the Best Sound Editing category. In their subtle way they painted vividly with sound effects choices, whereas Django is only sonically notable for deploying Tarantino's personal needledrops in the actual soundtrack.

richardp
01-11-2013, 11:34 AM

I'm sorry dude but Cloud Atlas should be nowhere near a Best Makeup nomination.