PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

somewhat_
01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Welcome Oblivion (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Oblivion-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B00AQ3EQ38/ref=sr_1_1?tag=etsound-20&s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1357414492&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels)

In case Amazon takes it down, here are the details: $42.21 (ouch!) import CD from Japan, release date is March 12, no tracklist yet (although I think we already know it).

PhoenixML
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
If it's the album, I hope it's better than both EPs combined together. I'm not saying both EPs are unlistenable, but the actual album should be BIG!

witte
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Tracklist

Welcome oblivion:
CD:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
03 And the sky began to scream
04 Welcome oblivion
05 Ice age
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 How long?
09 Strings and attractors
10 We fade away
11 Recursive self-improvement
12 The loop closes
13 Hallowed ground

Vinyl:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
04 Ice age
05 Welcome oblivion
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 The province of fear
09 How long?
10 Strings and attractors
12 Unintended consequences
13 We fade away
14 The loop closes
15 Hallowed ground

Camille
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you both for the info.

Track list looking good.

gorast
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Ah, only two months to wait. Awesome. We should be getting an official announcement soon.

sheepdean
01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
So the name hasn't changed since the last leak - I wonder if the art etc is all finalised then, and they really are just sitting on it for label reasons?

jessamineny
01-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Good to see that CDs are being pressed. Hopefully they will be in the States as well...

FernandoDante
01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
So it's finally ok to talk about this without overzealous SPOILER tags?

EDIT: Anyway, it's cool that the title is confirmed, because that was the one thing that I still saw some people skeptical about. Someone even told me there was no evidence of the title on Last.FM.

sheepdean
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
When it was on Last.Fm, that was a mistake on part of the band. When it's on Amazon, it's a label screwup and ETS loves blaming labels/

Frozen Beach
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I kind of wish that the tracks that were on the EP were just on the EP. Hopefully though the tracks will at least be mixed somewhat differently on the album. I mean, not that I think that those tracks are mixed badly, but I want a reason to continue listening to the EP on its own.

Ryan
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Interesting track titles.

witte
01-06-2013, 05:07 AM
I kind of wish that the tracks that were on the EP were just on the EP. Hopefully though the tracks will at least be mixed somewhat differently on the album. I mean, not that I think that those tracks are mixed badly, but I want a reason to continue listening to the EP on its own.

2 tracks from the EP are not on the album, in case you didn't notice.

carpenoctem
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I wish I was more excited for this. I wouldn't miss out on it, but more out of a feeling of long-time fan obligation than real excitement for what they've come up with.

Shnoorum
01-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the heads up. Hope for the official announcement and maybe some new artwork soon. Really didn't expect any news this soon at all

screwdriver
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
how did Keep it Together make the full album but not Speaking in Tongues? oh well. the EP has grown on me quite a lot -- looking forward to it!

JamesCmuse
01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I loved Speaking In Tongues. Shame it's not on there!

gorast
01-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Not sure how I feel about KIT opening the album, if the tracklist is accurate (which it most likely is). Ah well. I'm liking those track lengths a whole lot, though. Double-LP time.

witte
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I loved Speaking In Tongues. Shame it's not on there!

One of my favorite too
No problem. That makes the EP special for me and a 'stand alone' as vinyl!
If it was me who could decide, the new full album would contain complete new tracks...
;)

simonn
01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
2 tracks from the EP are not on the album, in case you didn't notice.

Luckily (or maybe not) my two least favourite tracks from the ep as well, rarely listen to to them already. Great to have a concrete release date at last.

JamesCmuse
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
you have a point there! Never even thought about it that way, I don't know where my head is at...

Love those song titles. Brilliant.

Camille
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Great to have a concrete release date at last.

Well, there is still no official announcement as yet, unless i've missed something.

Shnoorum
01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Well, there is still no official announcement as yet, unless i've missed something.

I'm willing to bet this is legit. I didn't expect it so early but I see no reason why it couldn't be seeing as it's finished and everything

snaapz
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes very interesting. I understand how there is a process for artists & having their material submitted, approved & listed on Amazon but there must be a "Do not make product visible" option when Amazon does this stuff... or a "Publish on this date xx.xx.xxx" option. This way as I see it now, with no real info or album cover, just looks like a web developer doing a shitty job. If this is not HTDAs intention then I would be on the phone.

If this is legit then yea, it generates a small buzz but I think it's nothing compared to how people would react if HTDA was leaking the info bit by bit & hitting us with teasers. We like to figure things out as if it were a puzzle... right?

I do wish that there were more images, snippets and even tweets from HTDA... setting an atmosphere for the group and the LP; and follow up to the EP... it's as if the band vanished. (Understanding the recent holidays as a factor)

/rant

BenAkenobi
01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
so the EP and two videos featuring all members is as if the band vanished. riiiiiiiight
--edit--
i get it, but i also enjoy large amount of music which i knew nothing in advance, and "the need to be teased" is such a caprice :)
--end of edit--

snaapz
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
so the EP and two videos featuring all members is as if the band vanished. riiiiiiiight

Things and people, or in this case the band, can vanish leaving artifacts behind (something made or given shape by man). You're thinking I said "... it's as if HTDA in its whole entirety and material vanished". I also paraphrased by explaining "setting an atmosphere for the group and the LP; and follow up to the EP"

My apologies if you didn't understand my post, I do rant and misuse semicolons often.

jessamineny
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
They haven't vanished. There was a Soft Moon remix in mid-December, and Q has been posting photos on Twitter since after New Year's. They're certainly not going to keep up Omen-release levels of activity until mid-March, especially when you consider that members of the band have other projects that demand their attention.

eversonpoe
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
official facebook page just posted this:

HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS (http://www.facebook.com/howtodestroyangels?ref=stream)

Our debut full-length record "Welcome oblivion" will arrive on March 5th.

also put this in the spotting thread.

snaapz
01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, I suppose I can open mouth and insert foot... (Recent news & video).

"Our debut full-length record "Welcome oblivion" will arrive on March 5th."

jhulud
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Bring on the official site/band pre-orders. Hoping for an awesome super-duper deluxe package with all kinds of bells and whistles. Real bells and whistles!

witte
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
http://vimeo.com/56805766

new video

edit: sorry for the double post...

gorast
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
That video was interesting to watch in full-screen.

The loop closes seemed like an odd choice for a video to me, but I guess it was meant as a way of heralding the full-length? I don't know.

I hope the deluxe packages (if there are any) don't get too absurd, since I'd like to still be able to actually buy the nicest version of the album.

BenAkenobi
01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
it's cool that all four are seen singing in this one. also, the cigarette makes first appearance since The space in between!

Deepvoid
01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't understand why they are re-releasing tracks that were on the EP.

gorast
01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Think of it as "An omen released those tracks early" instead and you'll be fine.

buckaroo
01-10-2013, 11:49 AM

The loop closes seemed like an odd choice for a video to me, but I guess it was meant as a way of heralding the full-length? I don't know.

I hope the deluxe packages (if there are any) don't get too absurd, since I'd like to still be able to actually buy the nicest version of the album.

this is an odd song to choose for a single. however, of the three songs/videos they have released from this ep this is, by far, the best. i also think this will lend itself very well for some good remixes (i hope).

jessamineny
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't understand why they are re-releasing tracks that were on the EP.

??

This is a new video for a song on their most recent album. The song is not a re-release, and the EP is not a previous album.

Trains
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Dunno, on first listen is was the only track from An Omen_ that screamed 'catchy and accessible' to me. Personally, I really love the track; for one thing, unless I'm mistaken it's the first time we've heard Trent actually sing since 2008 (as opposed to whispering, mumbling or breathing in the background).

Vertigo
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Dunno, on first listen is was the only track from An Omen_ that screamed 'catchy and accessible' to me. Personally, I really love the track; for one thing, unless I'm mistaken it's the first time we've heard Trent actually sing since 2008 (as opposed to whispering, mumbling or breathing in the background).

2011's cover of Zoo Station, proper singing there. His voice is also very prominent in Is Your Love Strong Enough, albeit in a backing role.

Deepvoid
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. If you release a 6-song EP (Omen), take X number of songs off that EP and put it on your album to be released 3 months later, that's my definition of being lazy.
Poor consumer value.

sheepdean
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. If you release a 6-song EP (Omen), take X number of songs off that EP and put it on your album to be released 3 months later, that's my definition of being lazy.
Poor consumer value.
Other way round. They were making the LP and took some songs off it, plus some outtake, and made the EP.

Deepvoid
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Ok I get it. Makes more sense but it sounds like the label was not very confident about the album so they tested the water by releasing an EP. See the reaction and then determine what kind of marketing budget will go into full length.

Max Leo
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
For me, the last EP is just some kind of promotional maxisingle, advancing a few songs from the full LP with a couple of extra songs to make it a more worthy release.

The previous EP was more of an individual release, like Broken, while An Omen would be more like a single but with several songs from the LP in order to ease the waiting for the album that should have been relesed in the late 2012 but was pushed to 2013 because of their new contract with Columbia (I guess).

So, it's not like if TDS had included Wish, Gave Up and Happiness In Slavery, it's more like the MOTP and Closer maxisingles, or I rather see it that way, I might be wrong.

BTW, I hope that the couple of songs that seem to be not included in the LP are released in some kind of CD deluxe edition in a second disc with a few of the remixes released so far to compensate the lack of CD edition for An Omen (I might have said this in a previous post, but I repeat it just in case that somebody from the HTDA camp reads this).

slave2thewage
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
MARIQUEEN MAANDIG
‏@mariqueen
our full-length record "welcome oblivion" drops march 5th on columbia.

xfocalinx
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm excited. Trent said before that some of the songs on the ep will be on the LP, why so many people have their panties in a bunch, I do not know.

fillow
01-11-2013, 03:04 AM
why is it a surprise to anyone? the album tracklist was spoiled here on ETS even before the EP came out.

neorev
01-11-2013, 03:27 AM
sadly, not as excited for this... which makes me even more sad
especially now already knowing and hearing a quarter of the album
a quarter of the album in which only one song really somewhat did it for me
a sad day for a Reznor fan such as myself, hopefully the album can make up for it

witte
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
why is it a surprise to anyone? the album tracklist was spoiled here on ETS even before the EP came out.

sadly, not as excited for this... which makes me even more sad
especially now already knowing and hearing a quarter of the album
a quarter of the album in which only one song really somewhat did it for me
a sad day for a Reznor fan such as myself, hopefully the album can make up for it

here we go again....
pfff
have a nice weekend

Camille
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
MARIQUEEN MAANDIG
‏@mariqueen
our full-length record "welcome oblivion" drops march 5th on columbia.
Anniversary of my mothers death, hopefully the album will make that day a little cheerier.

Presideo
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
For me, the last EP is just some kind of promotional maxisingle, advancing a few songs from the full LP with a couple of extra songs to make it a more worthy release.
I'd also like to think of The Omen as a b-sides collection of sorts. I'm guessing Welcome Oblivion is a concept album, and the songs on the EP were parts they thought could survive as standalone tracks worthy enough to release in an effort to hold fans over until the full album comes out. The subject matter in 'Speaking In Tongues' seems to imply that there's a bigger picture that hasn't been revealed yet (dissapointed that it likely didn't make the album)

Of course, even the word 'omen' implies that the EP is only a small sample of bigger, hopefully better, things to come.

neorev
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
here we go again....
pfff
have a nice weekend

here we go again, someone who can't handle an honest/negative opinion...
god forbid, there's a civil discussion where there are positive and negative aspects
grow up

the Omen EP was a bit disappointing for me and knowing that quarter of it made it to the new album is going to result in some disappointment
is it a surprise that they are on there? no, of course we all knew it
but i only enjoyed On A Wing from that EP

did i come on here calling everything shit and throwing a tantrum like some? no
it's called a discussion board, learn how to use it

i'm hoping for some more direct and gripping tracks on the album... like The Space Between
where the EP felt kinda lackadaisical and meandering at points

Keep It Together feels like the wrong way to open the album... so much focus was on that track with its prominent place on the EP
i never enjoyed when the lead off single is also the first track off the album that its promoting
it takes me out of the moment... kinda like been there, heard that already... i like to be surprised a bit when throwing on a record

i remember throwing on With Teeth for the first time and when All The Love In The World started, it brought a smile to my face...
something new, something different and not expected

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I like a lot of his work with NIN and HTDA in the past but Rob Sheridan sure is getting old me to. We get it dude, you use new technology to make it look old. You are so freaking indie. Why not just move to Austin and get it over with!

FernandoDante
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
I like a lot of his work with NIN and HTDA in the past but Rob Sheridan sure is getting old me to. We get it dude, you use new technology to make it look old. You are so freaking indie. Why not just move to Austin and get it over with!
I don't think it's about being "indie" at all, but some of his stuff is getting a bit old. The artwork for An Omen reminds me of some of the Year Zero stuff, and eventually people will get tired of glitch art. I still dig it, but if Welcome Oblivion follows the same style, it'll be too much, I think.

sheepdean
01-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Talking about the artwork on this thread is pointless, we haven't seen a single pixel of art for WO yet.

Magtig
01-11-2013, 11:34 PM
We can talk about the art we've seen though, especially on The Loop Closes, photoshoots, An Omen, Ice Age, etc. It's reasonable to assume the visuals for the full length will be in keeping with what we've seen already.

Ultimately running digital video through a VHS machine and filming it again amounts to about as much as throwing several filters at an image in photoshop. Sure, they're custom made and aesthetically pleasing filters, but at this point it's starting to feel like a substitute for substantive content. Actually, I've found it pretty underwhelming on a visual level from the start.

The visuals for their first ep had the right idea: get as far away from NIN as possible. The visuals we've seen thus far feel like a regression from that stand point.

Ryan
01-12-2013, 01:37 AM
We can talk about the art we've seen though, especially on The Loop Closes, photoshoots, An Omen, Ice Age, etc. It's reasonable to assume the visuals for the full length will be in keeping with what we've seen already.

Ultimately running digital video through a VHS machine and filming it again amounts to about as much as throwing several filters at an image in photoshop. Sure, they're custom made and aesthetically pleasing filters, but at this point it's starting to feel like a substitute for substantive content. Actually, I've found it pretty underwhelming on a visual level from the start.

The visuals for their first ep had the right idea: get as far away from NIN as possible. The visuals we've seen thus far feel like a regression from that stand point.

Agreed. Even back to the With Teeth days you had hints of it with the distortion and so on. It's just the same thing re-used. Bit sick of it myself too - remember The Hand That Feeds video? There were elements of it there even.

sheepdean
01-12-2013, 01:46 AM
But the videos are for the EP - the songs may be on the LP too, but they do not necessarily reflect what the album's art will be like.

I would agree that EP1 has better art than EP2 though.

BenAkenobi
01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Agreed. Even back to the With Teeth days you had hints of it with the distortion and so on. It's just the same thing re-used. Bit sick of it myself too - remember The Hand That Feeds video? There were elements of it there even.

"glitches" date back to DVD menu of halo seventeen, but that wasn't Sheridan (or was he?)

sheepdean
01-12-2013, 01:51 AM
It was Carson and Sheridan

Ryan
01-12-2013, 02:20 AM
I loved the organic art during The Fragile. Really beautiful stuff. The unreleased TDTWWA video and promo video for Things Falling Apart spring to mind.

Presideo
01-12-2013, 02:58 AM
the Omen EP was a bit disappointing for me and knowing that quarter of it made it to the new album is going to result in some disappointment
I'm also peeved that 1/3 of the album has already been released, and that 1/3 wasn't anything amazing. However, I'm willing to wait for the other 2/3 to make a final decision. I'm an album lover more than a song lover. There have been plenty of songs that I've disliked as standalone tracks, but enjoyed/tolerated when they were used as a small piece to a large jigsaw puzzle.

A major problem I had with The Omen EP was that it started off slow and never picked up, making the mechanical, lethargic pace of 'Ice Age' stick out like a sore thumb. Things didn't actually pick up until the penultimate song, which felt like an epic miscue pace-wise . But instead of the 2nd track, 'Ice Age' is now the 8th track. If livelier tracks precede it then I might think of the track differently. It might become the 'A Warm Place' or 'The Greater Good' of the album - a nice break from the chaos before the final act.

sheepdean
01-12-2013, 03:36 AM
I'm also peeved that 1/3 of the album has already been released, and that 1/3 wasn't anything amazing.
That's hardly something to be peeved about - it's personal taste that you don't like it, not an aggravating thing.

Presideo
01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
That's hardly something to be peeved about - it's personal taste that you don't like it, not an aggravating thing.
I can't openly comment about something that myself, and others, find annoying? I think you misunderstand the point of message boards. If you don't like my opinion then give some semblance of a constructive reason why you disagree with me, or don't comment at all. But don't question the merit of my opinion.

kenthebear
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM

No, I think it's fair enough to be a bit pissed about having to buy 1/3 of an album again when there was no indication that the EP was to be part of it.

If the same person doesn't like the EP, it just makes things worse, it doesn't make the above not exist.

gorast
01-12-2013, 05:31 PM
No, I think it's fair enough to be a bit pissed about having to buy 1/3 of an album again when there was no indication that the EP was to be part of it.

If the same person doesn't like the EP, it just makes things worse, it doesn't make the above not exist.
What are you talking about, "no indication"? Trent said in the announcement of the EP that it would "contain tracks from the full-length due next year." He didn't hide a single thing about that. Told us straight-out that there would be an overlap.

The EP, as I see it, was intended as a glorified promo release, to promote the upcoming full-length. Of course there's gonna be overlap, it's basically a big single. The two "exclusive" tracks were probably just rejected from Welcome Oblivion.

neorev
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
The EP, as I see it, was intended as a glorified promo release, to promote the upcoming full-length. Of course there's gonna be overlap, it's basically a big single. The two "exclusive" tracks were probably just rejected from Welcome Oblivion.

For me, that makes me even more worried. If the EP is suppose to be the big draw to make you look forward to the album by including 4 tracks from the album itself, you would think that those 4 tracks would be the best tracks that represent the album and showcase the best work up front to suck people in. The EP did the opposite for me, I found myself not looking forward as much to the album. Like everyone else, I hope the album blows me away. But at the moment, if this EP is suppose to draw us in and showcase some of the best stuff off the album... it's didn't really have much range... which is what makes me worried.

Collin
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
What are you talking about, "no indication"? Trent said in the announcement of the EP that it would "contain tracks from the full-length due next year." He didn't hide a single thing about that. Told us straight-out that there would be an overlap.

This is definitely how I see it, with all big releases today we usually hear somewhere between 3 to 4 tracks before the release anyway. It's just that they are released more sporadically, An Omen is essentially reducing that process to a tangible singular product, and adding a few b-sides for good measure. Personally, I was a big fan of Ice Age, On The Wing and Loop Closes so I remain excited for Welcome Oblivion.

On a side note, since this is a major label release now, isnt it going to leak ahead of time?

gorast
01-12-2013, 11:59 PM
For me, that makes me even more worried. If the EP is suppose to be the big draw to make you look forward to the album by including 4 tracks from the album itself, you would think that those 4 tracks would be the best tracks that represent the album and showcase the best work up front to suck people in. The EP did the opposite for me, I found myself not looking forward as much to the album. Like everyone else, I hope the album blows me away. But at the moment, if this EP is suppose to draw us in and showcase some of the best stuff off the album... it's didn't really have much range... which is what makes me worried.
Perhaps consider it in this way: HTDA likely didn't want to blow the best tracks from the full-length for the EP, because then they'd really be disappointing us. So they took a couple that were pretty good, and a couple others that, in the context of the album, probably aren't very good, and then had two other non-album tracks and slapped them together into An omen. As such, there will be even better songs on the full-length. Hopefully.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that - if the EP wasn't to your tastes there's nothing wrong with that, of course - but I'm merely saying that perhaps we haven't heard "the best" yet.

At least, I certainly hope we haven't. I want to be blown away by this album just like everyone else.
Collin: An omen didn't leak, but that was probably because it wasn't pressed on CD. Considering the circumstances, it probably will leak a couple weeks ahead of release, and then HTDA will put it up for streaming somewhere.

butter_hole
01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Remember the fucken NAME OF THE EP

An OMEN.

Does that maybe mean something else to you? Like say, a warning? A clue? A look at something to come?

sheepdean
01-13-2013, 12:34 AM

An OMEN.

Does that maybe mean something else to you? Like say, a warning? A clue? A look at something to come?
An Omen to Oblivion? (http://inception.davepedu.com/)

BenAkenobi
01-13-2013, 01:33 AM
---imaginary conversation---
Rob: Hey Atticus what's holding us from releasing our muzak?
Atticus: Hey Trent, has she thought of a title to the record yet?
Trent: Hey Ma'queen, boys would like to know if you, like, have a title in mind, perhaps?
Mariqueen: Oh, men! Why do you have to be so impatient? You won't believe what shoes i've just seen in <insert fashion shop here>!
Trent: Guys, she said "omen", i have no idea what's that supposed to mean, but it sorta sounds better than "Infidel Hearts", right?
Atticus, Rob: Yeah, great, now send those files to Columbia FTP!
---end of imaginary conversation---

gorast
01-13-2013, 02:06 AM
What the hell was that?

Ryan
01-13-2013, 04:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

BenAkenobi
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM

An OMEN.

"Omen" and "Oblivion" begin and end with same letters :)

kenthebear
01-13-2013, 06:24 AM

You're right, I forgot about that. It took some hunting to find (first press release about it, back in sept) and wasn't mentioned since, which is why it slipped my mind.

Deepvoid
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
I'll definitely download the album before buying it. Not sold on the first two EPs. I always wished this project would have been more trip-hop (Massive Attack, Portishead) but it's clear now that it's not the direction they are taking. I'll stick to NIN.

botley
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm excited for the LP. I believe this is the longest that TR has spent on a single recording project since The Fragile, and I for one feel that this care and attention will prove itself evident in the final product.

EPs for most bands are either teasers or cul-de-sacs, and we have had one of each. It is time for the real deal.

witte
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
8 new extra tracks, extra 40 minutes of music...
Don't expect too much.
The concept has been made with the EP.
I'm afraid you're putting the bar too high.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too ;)
Creating such an expectation results always in a disappointment.

botley
01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
I have no expectation beyond "the tracks that are also on the EP will be much the same as they are on the EP". Not saying this will be anything like The Fragile, just that this album will surely mark a break from the spontaneity and immediacy that TR has privilieged in almost all of his output since that record.

Trains
01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
A year ago I wouldn't have been too excited about this, but I was so surprised by how much I like An Omen_ that I'm starting to feel some high hopes brewing. I think it's safe to say that HTDA have grown into their sound since the first EP, I'm really hoping the full-length reaches their potential.

tyrannus
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Yes, let's stand in judgement on an album that has not been released which was written and produced by a proven musician whom we all claim to be fans of. Better yet, lets take those baseless gripes and waste time arguing about the manner in which said album will suck on a discussion board of an alleged "fan" site.

Amnesiac
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
A year ago I wouldn't have been too excited about this, but I was so surprised by how much I like An Omen_ that I'm starting to feel some high hopes brewing. I think it's safe to say that HTDA have grown into their sound since the first EP, I'm really hoping the full-length reaches their potential.

I pretty much feel the same way. I mean, I'd still be excited since I liked the 1st EP, but I think An Omen is better. I just hope the album has something as gloriously doom-and-gloomy creepy as 'Speaking in Tongues' on it.

gorast
01-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes, let's stand in judgement on an album that has not been released which was written and produced by a proven musician whom we all claim to be fans of. Better yet, lets take those baseless gripes and waste time arguing about the manner in which said album will suck on a discussion board of an alleged "fan" site.
Where's the point here? This comes back to other people attempting to stifle any sort of criticism of the album, which is silly. Sure it hasn't come out yet, but we already have an idea (not a concrete one, but a general one) of what the album's going to sound like. There's no need to get all whiny and sarcastic because people are criticizing the album.

Plus, this is a discussion board, a NIN-centric one at that. You're going to see people displeased with Trent and co.'s output.

sheepdean
01-16-2013, 02:11 AM
"people criticising the album" before they've heard it a perfectly reasonable thing to get whiny about because it is stupid. On March 5th, feel free to list the four million ways it's the worst thing since Spanish Flu, but until we actually hear it, you don't even know if we're getting the same mixes from the EP (here's a clue: we're not, the track lengths are all different).

neorev
01-16-2013, 02:54 AM
most people aren't necessarily criticizing the album... even i said, i hope i'm proved wrong and it blows me away
it's more negativity against the EP rather than the album... with people hoping the album is at least a better and/or more diverse showing compared to the EP
i don't think anyone here is actually hoping for a shitty album... more just voicing concern with the lack of depth from the EP release
and for the most part, the people who are discussing the album are sharing what they hope will be delivered on the full length and not just saying "oh this blows"
it's a discussion board, this is what happens on discussion boards... ESPECIALLY the discussion board of your favorite artist

fo·rum
fo·rum (fôrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifm, fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif-)n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif, fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif)
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

3. A court of law; a tribunal.

Ichiro
01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
"people criticising the album" before they've heard it a perfectly reasonable thing to get whiny about because it is stupid. On March 5th, feel free to list the four million ways it's the worst thing since Spanish Flu, but until we actually hear it, you don't even know if we're getting the same mixes from the EP (here's a clue: we're not, the track lengths are all different).

Well, the track lengths for the omen songs on the album are only a couple seconds different which probably means they only adjusted the transitions to fit the altered track list. They are probably the same mixes. I'm looking forward to this though, it should be fun.

eversonpoe
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
fo·rum
fo·rum (fôrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifm, fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif-)n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif, fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif)
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

3. A court of law; a tribunal.

Forum - etymology:
From the Latin word for "ditch" (as in a low point in the ground). The location of the original Forum in Rome was in the middle of a ditch where cows liked to graze.

somewhat_
01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Domestic CD (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Oblivion-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B00B1OWEVC/ref=sr_1_2?tag=etsound-20&s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358381379&sr=1-2&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels)

Vinyl (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Oblivion-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B00B1OWEX0/ref=sr_1_3?tag=etsound-20&s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358381555&sr=1-3&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels)

gorast
01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Can't wait for those website pre-orders. Will we get another promo vinyl this time or no?

my voice just
01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
an omen is another promo vinyl

sheepdean
01-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I doubt it, that was a one-time thing, considering the extra shipping cost and spoilt surprise etc

gorast
01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Seriously?

That's true, that ended up being a bit of a fiasco. Ah well. I wonder if there'll be some sort of CD/vinyl bundle so I don't have to spend too much money? (doubt it)

ItsJustDave
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM

I believe he's asking about the KITT white label promo that was shipped along with Omen orders from the official site. Beyond that, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. Generally speaking, "promo" references releases that were not available commercially. KITT was a promo. An Omen was a commercial release.

I'd expect ordering from the official site will be incentivized in some way.

gorast
01-18-2013, 12:32 AM
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/9e7cfeec60e611e2ae2a22000a1f9723_7.jpg
"Reviewing vinyl proofs. It will be in your hands March 5th."

For all of you hoping for a different art style for the LP: sorry.

simonn
01-18-2013, 07:17 AM
It might become the 'A Warm Place' or 'The Greater Good' of the album - a nice break from the chaos before the final act.

Must admit, not expecting any 'chaos' from this project. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised though.

Ryan
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/9e7cfeec60e611e2ae2a22000a1f9723_7.jpg
"Reviewing vinyl proofs. It will be in your hands March 5th."

For all of you hoping for a different art style for the LP: sorry.

Well fuckballs.

butter_hole
01-18-2013, 10:26 PM
gonna be dope

JamesCmuse
01-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Are HTDA going to be doing a special package this time around like they did for the last 2 releases, does anyone think? I bought An Omen EP from Amazon but I'd rather not go down that road again..

sheepdean
01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Um, HTDA didn't do a special package for EP1, and An Omen's special was meant to be a secret

ItsJustDave
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Um, HTDA didn't do a special package for EP1, and An Omen's special was meant to be a secret

Limited t-shirts.

gorast
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
When do you all think the HTDA pre-order will be put up?

jjaks
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Japan edition.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_How-To-Destroy-Angels_000000000438169/item_Welcome-Oblivion_5296179
http://www.amazon.co.jp/ウェルカム・オブリヴィオン-ハウ・トゥ・デストロイ・エンジェルズ/dp/B00AQ3EQ38/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1358641423&sr=8-12

witte
01-20-2013, 05:22 AM
little bit odd the us import is cheaper than the domestic japanese release.

ManOfAtom
01-20-2013, 05:52 AM
little bit odd the us import is cheaper than the domestic japanese release.

Thats normal, it's why JP releases often get extra tracks/content.

witte
01-20-2013, 06:52 AM
'extra tracks/content' sounds to me like 'whipped cream on the cake'
good theory! ;)

sheepdean
01-20-2013, 07:32 AM
The extra content on EP1 was a lyrics booklet, so don't get TOO excited :P

theimage13
01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Put in my Amazon preorder for the plain ol' CD. Nowhere to buy locally, and if the official site ends up releasing something to pull me away, I can always cancel.

ManOfAtom
01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
'extra tracks/content' sounds to me like 'whipped cream on the cake'
good theory! ;)

I'm not saying it's the case here at all, just that the price difference isn't unusual.

witte
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Isn't it?
It'll be not the first time I'll buy something in Japan! ;)

HERE ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AiU81br9wnDGdGN6UkdvVV9qN0c1akpRR0tHd0dfVX c&f=true&noheader=true&gid=3)

Normally Japanese releases are not different priced as US or EU releases.

slave2thewage
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
The extra content on EP1 was a lyrics booklet, so don't get TOO excited :P
It'll probably be something like "Keep it together (Olof Dreijer remix)".

ManOfAtom
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Isn't it?
It'll be not the first time I'll buy something in Japan! ;)

HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AiU81br9wnDGdGN6UkdvVV9qN0c1akpRR0tHd0dfVX c&f=true&noheader=true&gid=3)

Normally Japanese releases are not different priced as US or EU releases.

Usually. I've bought plenty of JP domestic releases as well.
but the traditional reason for exclusive content on Japanese releases was the price different between domestic and import.

gorast
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Rob tweeted earlier today that Welcome oblivion will NOT have any sort of deluxe edition through HTDA's website. Nothing but vinyl, CD, and digital this time around.

carpenoctem
01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
It'll probably be something like "Keep it together (Olof Dreijer remix)".

A quarter of an hour of whale noises, minimal thumping and literally no connection to the original song whatsoever.
CAN'T WAIT

butter_hole
01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
But thats not what they said before

Daegor
01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Amazon.ca and .com updated their listings of the vinyl to "3 discs", and .ca added this to the title: "Welcome Oblivion (Vinyl) How To Destroy Angels (2LP+CD) (Artist)".

I'm holding off, but looks like in the very least I'll be cancelling the CD pre-order

sheepdean
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I reckon it's actually 2LP + digital download, but either way I'm getting the vinyl, so I'm happy.

Yay for a HTDA release that actually requires 4 sides of vinyl!

Camille
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I assume the vinyl will be 180g. Hope so.

gorast
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
An omen was 180g, wasn't it? Or am I just making an incorrect assumption?

I'm not sure how I'd feel about 2LP + CD, because I don't want to open the vinyl, plus I'd like to have nice packaging on my CD rack.

Camille
01-28-2013, 07:25 AM
An omen was 180g, wasn't it? Or am I just making an incorrect assumption?

Your assumption is correct.

dtuck90
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the vinyl comes with a CD. This is getting more and more common now.

witte
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Presale on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Welcome-Oblivion-by-How-To-Destroy-Angels-Vinyl-Record-2013-Brand-New-/281058393579?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item417062bdeb) has started!
Vinyl and cd

Conrad Lienert
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
A new song and video from HTDA, out tomorrow!!!!

Can't wait!!!

PhoenixML
01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
I really hope I won't be disappointed. I just don't see that happening. I can't seem to enjoy HTDA as much as I would like to.

Conrad Lienert
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
I know how you feel, PhoenixML. I'm like that with the new Soundgarden music. I want to like it, but I just can't.

I have my fingers crossed that the song released will be "And the sky began to scream"!

gorast
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Anyone else hoping for the website preorder to open up tomorrow, alongside the new song/video? I just want to know what the vinyl configuration is so I can decide where I'm pre-ordering.

jessamineny
01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I wonder if in addition to opening the store they'll also announce tour dates.

Shnoorum
01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
I know how you feel, PhoenixML. I'm like that with the new Soundgarden music. I want to like it, but I just can't.

I have my fingers crossed that the song released will be "And the sky began to scream"!

Thats the track thats got my attention the most aswell. I supose when it comes down to it any song is fine but that really is one badass named track

Conrad Lienert
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Thats the track thats got my attention the most aswell. I supose when it comes down to it any song is fine but that really is one badass named track

It sounds so fucking ominous! How can it not be badass???

my voice just
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
i think it sounds so gary numanish and a little pretentious

butter_hole
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
dont worry, its sure to have silly simple lyrics to wipe away all that pretention

Conrad Lienert
01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
i think it sounds so gary numanish and a little pretentious

If it was called "Is sky electric", I'd agree with you.

my voice just
01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
its sure to have silly simple lyrics to wipe away all that pretention
and the sky began to scream
sha la la la la
but that sound was very dim
La-li-lu-le-lo
don`t you cry cause we are team
fan fan fan fan fan
i will satisfy your whim
[distorted ukelele solo playing]
?

slave2thewage
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
That sounds like one of the songs out of The Hobbit. I approve.

Corey Bloom
01-30-2013, 10:33 PM
That sounds like one of the songs out of The Hobbit. I approve.

Petition for Trent Reznor to write the theme song for the next movie? My favorite musician and my favorite book together? i dont think id be able to contain myself

Deadpool
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM

Is it a little weird to anyone else that we've not yet seen an official tracklist for Welcome Oblivion? I suppose we can assume that will happen tomorrow... I'm psyched for the new song/video!!

gorast
01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
They're probably waiting until tomorrow to do all of the official unveiling and such. Especially in regards to the tracklist, there's no need to rush because we've essentially known it for months now.

butter_hole
01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
(whether that's still the FINAL tracklist remains to be seen however..)

Corey Bloom
01-31-2013, 03:32 AM
The song is on iTunes. its called "How Long?". Best song they've done yet. its so different from everything they've done except maybe the Bryan Ferry cover which is actually the best song they did before this. I definitely cant wait for the record now. Great stuff

Corey Bloom
01-31-2013, 03:35 AM
Really cool artwork too! and Mariqueen has a voice!!

butter_hole
01-31-2013, 04:30 AM
Ah, the leaky sides of Columbia surprise once again.

butter_hole
01-31-2013, 04:37 AM
(a touch different than the leaked tracklist as well)

Conrad Lienert
01-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Shit! No itunes on this computer. Is there anywhere else I can listen to it???

BrokenSpiral
01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Sounds pretty decent. As stated already, very different from anything we've heard.

ninperu
01-31-2013, 06:25 AM
--> Where? i can't find it...

PhoenixML
01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
I am relieved.

fortheloveofgod
01-31-2013, 06:47 AM
This is good!!! Great artwork too. Can't wait for video!!
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o744/frednin912/ScreenShot2013-01-31at75948AM_zpsadade844.png

Q-NeilL
01-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Please, anyone upload new song and send pm.

fortheloveofgod
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Please, anyone upload new song and send pm.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/how-long-single/id598432692

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Only on itunes so far? Bleh. Don't have it, don't want it, and this little piece of crap netbook I have the displeasure of using probably couldn't even run it. Hope they release it properly soon

nodylnai
01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
How Long is fantastic!! Definitely seems closer to the Ferry cover on TGWTDT than anything on An Omen, which is GREAT if you ask me. I really liked the direction that song was going in. Can't wait to see the video in a few hours!

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 07:48 AM
I can't even hear samples on itunes US, Tunnelbear's being a dick :(

If anyone can rip the artwork from the track, that'd be bonza, I'll upload it to ninwiki whilst I wait for a european leak

ninperu
01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
--> there is any way to buy the song already? i can't see it on the itunes app...

ok, i can't buy the song because i'm in Perú... and it's only on iTunes US... fy itunes!

PhoenixML
01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
What's that? Mutliple repeat of the same song? I never thought (but always wished) it would happen with an HTDA song!

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Waiting sucks! I hate everything!

BrokenSpiral
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Complaints about Q's monotoned singing should cease now. She killed it on this song. I'm liking it more with each listen.

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Just bought it. Nice to hear something poppier from Reznor again.

baudolino
01-31-2013, 08:53 AM
yeah, f*** itunes and their us store prioritisation. anyone who is willing to share please pm. snippet sounds terrific, evoked very peculiar feelings/memories.

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
yeah, f*** itunes and their us store prioritisation. anyone who is willing to share please pm. snippet sounds terrific, evoked very peculiar feelings/memories.
Dude, just be patient. You're going to get it in a few hours, and asking for copyrighted material that isn't even meant to be out yet isn't the best idea.

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Are you sure you haven't got it on your local Store? If it's on iTunes Ireland, it's bound to be EVERYWHERE.

Alpha 60
01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
video is on pitchfok, cool video not sure about the song, and tracklist for vinyl and cd

baudolino
01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Dude, just be patient. You're going to get it in a few hours, and asking for copyrighted material that isn't even meant to be out yet isn't the best idea.

sure, you are absolutely right. but its hard ;). ( and just to make it clear: i have and always will pay for music i like or store. piracy is not in my interest either. though i feel i get forced to do it.)

fortheloveofgod
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/49363-watch-trent-reznors-how-to-destroy-angels_-share-new-video-for-how-long-plus-album-art-tracklist/
http://cdn4.pitchfork.com/news/49363/97efaa58.jpg (http://pitchfork.com/news/49363-watch-trent-reznors-how-to-destroy-angels_-share-new-video-for-how-long-plus-album-art-tracklist/)

Welcome oblivion:
CD:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
04 Welcome oblivion
05 Ice age
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 How long?
10 We fade away
12 The loop closes
13 Hallowed ground
Vinyl:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
04 Ice age
05 Welcome oblivion
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 The province of fear
09 How long?
13 We fade away
14 The loop closes
15 Hallowed ground

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Oh, was just about to share this http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/01/30/170687806/trent-reznor-new-band-new-song-new-video-still-terrifying seems people have got here before me

baudolino
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Are you sure you haven't got it on your local Store? If it's on iTunes Ireland, it's bound to be EVERYWHERE.

no, it's not available in germany yet and according to my experience it will take a while until it is. which sucks. but whatever, patience is rewarding, isn't it?

BrokenSpiral
01-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Pretty crazy video. Can't wait for this album!

jhulud
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
I dig the video. Very different and unexpected. Goes counter with the song itself which is great as well. Very poppy as was mentioned earlier and it fits well in the HTDA canon. Psyched even more now for the album.

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/49363-watch-trent-reznors-how-to-destroy-angels_-share-new-video-for-how-long-plus-album-art-tracklist/
http://cdn4.pitchfork.com/news/49363/97efaa58.jpg (http://pitchfork.com/news/49363-watch-trent-reznors-how-to-destroy-angels_-share-new-video-for-how-long-plus-album-art-tracklist/)

Welcome oblivion:
CD:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
04 Welcome oblivion
05 Ice age
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 How long?
10 We fade away
12 The loop closes
13 Hallowed ground
Vinyl:
01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
04 Ice age
05 Welcome oblivion
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 The province of fear
09 How long?
13 We fade away
14 The loop closes
15 Hallowed ground

Exclusive vinyl only tracks? Weird.

Also, has How Long arrived on audio only yet? Other than itunes I mean. This netbook has a hard time with vimeo. Would like to hear it without video

Edit: A buyable version would be fantastic. The sound quality through this piece of crap is really shitty.

fortheloveofgod
01-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Hope the bonus tracks on the vinyl are more than instrumentals. Guessing they were added to help the flow. Whoever stated vinyl and cd shipped together were right. White label CD.

dominik
01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
AWESOME VIDEO AND SONG.

Reminds me of The Road.

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM
AWESOME VIDEO AND SONG.

Reminds me of The Road.

Actually, yes. Me too. Heh

thefragile_jake
01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Reminds me of The Road.

That's got to be the inspiration, that's all I could think of when I was watching it.

The song is alright in my opinion, it's nice to see people getting all excited about it but I don't think it's clicked with me just yet. I'll probably need to hear it in the context of the rest of the record but it's just an okay song right now. The chorus is a lot more pop than I think anything else they've put out recently and by no means is that a horrible thing. Maybe I was just wanting more tracks like Ice Age that sound a little bit more distinct. We'll have to wait till Oblivion comes out I suppose.

jrdsctt
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
So, the itunes version of the song has the band listed as "How to Destroy Angels". Please tell me I am reading into this too much...

BrokenSpiral
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
So, the itunes version of the song has the band listed as "How to Destroy Angels". Please tell me I am reading into this too much...

Yes, you are.

spahn
01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
the electronic beats and pulses are so damn good. really digging this track.

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Goddamn it, I can't play vinyl then. I really want that bonus CD though. FUCK EVERYTHING.

plusminus
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Wow. Very very good. Love hearing Mariqueen using range in her vocals, she has such a beautiful voice.

Camille
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I like the video, the tune is a cool wee critter. Looking forward to the album.

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
This may be a stupid question but this white label cd thing, is that the full album on CD plus the extra tracks? Is that also something you get for buying the vinyl version? This confuses me.

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
This may be a stupid question but this white label cd thing, is that the full album on CD plus the extra tracks? Is that also something you get for buying the vinyl version? This confuses me.
Yes, the LP comes with the album on CD, with all tracks on. It will not be the same album art as the CD-only release, because Trent knows his fans will buy anything with one pixel difference

spahn
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Trent knows his fans will buy anything with one pixel difference

guilty as charged

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Ah thanks very much. Gonna preorder me an LP something fierce

jessamineny
01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
I wonder if the downloads from the HTDA store will include the two extra tracks.

Yes, the LP comes with the album on CD, with all tracks on. It will not be the same album art as the CD-only release, because Trent knows his fans will buy anything with one pixel difference

Since it said "white label" CD, that makes me think there would be no album art on that CD.

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 10:19 AM
I wonder if the downloads from the HTDA store will include the two extra tracks.
Hoping that will be the case, but I somehow doubt it.

EDIT: do we have a vinyl preorder link yet?

Reznor2112
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Just double checking...

According to the HTDA site it states:

"Vinyl edition will include a free white label CD of the vinyl version of the album."

So does this mean that the "white label" CD will have the bonus tracks that the vinyl does?

EDIT: I just sent Rob a tweet asking this question as well. Maybe he will respond.

jessamineny
01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
EDIT: do we have a vinyl preorder link yet?

On Amazon (ten characters) (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1OWEX0/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=theninhotline-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00B1OWEX0&adid=07C652XDVWDCD5EPTWDF)

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
I think I'll hold onto my pennies after reading this on FB:

HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS (https://www.facebook.com/howtodestroyangels?ref=stream) Pre-order from us is coming mid-February.

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
When they didn't release An Omen on CD, it was their "abandoning of a dead format, finally."

Now, what?

BrokenSpiral
01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Just double checking...

According to the HTDA site it states:

"Vinyl edition will include a free white label CD of the vinyl version of the album."

So does this mean that the "white label" CD will have the bonus tracks that the vinyl does?

EDIT: I just sent Rob a tweet asking this question as well. Maybe he will respond.

Its pretty clear that it will have the bonus tracks. "CD of the vinyl version"

jessamineny
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
When they didn't release An Omen on CD, it was their "abandoning of a dead format, finally."

Now, what?

Who said that?

Shnoorum
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Who said that?

Mostly I just heard everyone complaining there was no cd version. It doesn't really matter as long as we can actually just hear it but I'm tickled pink about the white label cd with the extra tracks

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Who said that?
People on ETS and elsewhere. The quote was not pulled from one specific post.

The Reason Being
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
So the song names are pretty much what we all knew, with a few changes to the sequencing. Do we know if the track lengths are the same as on the leaked tracklist? Was liking the sound of longer songs.

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Updated ninwiki with both CD and Vinyl album art, if anyone wants to compare http://www.ninwiki.com/Welcome_Oblivion

gorast
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Now, what?
It was a fucking promo release, for Christ's sake. That's what.

This is HTDA dropping a 70+ minute album with a major label. They're not going to do the hipster/no-money "no CDs only vinyl" shit.

Song struck me weirdly, but it's a good one. Video was great, too. Should've expected the "twist" mid-song, but I didn't.

At least now they have a song for Coachella. Imagine opening with that, punch the crowd right in the face.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/Somedude179/howlong.png Have some full-res iTunes art, too.

Deadpool
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Just watched the new music video, and I'm so happy the band is embracing different approaches with different directors: narrative stuff with and without the band, "homemade" performance-based stuff, etc. "How long?" really justifies the distinction between NIN and Destroy Angels better than any song yet, no? With the exception of maybe "Ice age." I really like and appreciate the pop-iness.

Where'd the CD art for Welcome oblivion come from by the way?

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Where'd the CD art for Welcome oblivion come from by the way?

Press release.

witte
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Fuck I cannot buy that song as an European. Dutch iTunes refuses my login code.
If someone is willing to share, please PM me.
Thanks

PhoenixML
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Having no turnatable, I guess I'll be buying the vinyl version (with the FAMOUS white label CD WITH EXTRA TRACKS!!)

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Where'd the CD art for Welcome oblivion come from by the way?Amazon UK

And apparently the Japanese release will have bonus tracks - might just be the vinyl tracks. At least, I hope. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SICP-3731

gorast
01-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Could someone with Twitter ask Rob if the digital downloads from the HTDA store will conform to the tracklists of the respective releases? Like, basically will the vinyl digital download be the 15-track version or are the extra tracks exclusive to physical media? I really don't want to open the vinyl to get the CD out.

Reznor2112
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Could someone with Twitter ask Rob if the digital downloads from the HTDA store will conform to the tracklists of the respective releases? Like, basically will the vinyl digital download be the 15-track version or are the extra tracks exclusive to physical media? I really don't want to open the vinyl to get the CD out.

He said there wont be a digital download of the deluxe vinyl. No digital download of the two bonus tracks.

I asked about the white label CD and he responded with:

http://s14.postimage.org/rnn1ui4yp/Untitled.png
Broken Spiral...thanks for the smart ass response. Nothing wrong with double checking.

gorast
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Aw fuck. Guess I'll just get them through...other methods.

Thanks for answering, in any case.

At least the album art isn't grossly devoid of color this time around. I like looking at the cover for An omen, but Welcome oblivion should be much nicer to look at.

Max Leo
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
2 songs lacking in the cd? Why? I seriously don't understand this kind of shit, they seem to be punishing the fans without a vinyl player.:confused:

I was born in the 80s and grew up buying cds in the 90s/early 00s, now it seems like I should step back to buy my parent's format or just download the music (which I do, but for free, if I want to pay for a record I just buy the cd). So if I just want a damn cd, I get less tracks form HTDA, no "An_Omen" tracks nor the couple of extra tracks in "WO". :mad:

And no, I'm not going to buy the vinyl version, which I'll not use and will be collecting dust, just to get a blank cd or whatever they'll include in said version of the album, I guess I'll have to just download the vynil version from TPB and burn it on a cd-r, which means zero money from me for Trent and co, congrats.

I seriously hate this, my only hope is that those 2 extra tracks suck so much that I will feel happy buying the cd version.:mad::mad::mad:

nodylnai
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
2 songs lacking in the cd? Why? I seriously don't understand this kind of shit, they seem to be punishing the fans without a vinyl player.:confused:

I was born in the 80s and grew up buying cds in the 90s/early 00s, now it seems like I should step back to buy my parent's format or just download the music (which I do, but for free, if I want to pay for a record I just buy the cd). So if I just want a damn cd, I get less tracks form HTDA, no "An_Omen" tracks nor the couple of extra tracks in "WO". :mad:

And no, I'm not going to buy the vinyl version, which I'll not use and will be collecting dust, just to get a blank cd or whatever they'll include in said version of the album, I guess I'll have to just download the vynil version from TPB and burn it on a cd-r, which means zero money from me for Trent and co, congrats.

I seriously hate this, my only hope is that those 2 extra tracks suck so much that I will feel happy buying the cd version.:mad::mad::mad:

Kind of an ironic post considering your username.

Max Leo
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
^^^Lol. XD

I'll buy the cd version anyway, but I just would like to have all the tracks. :mad:

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
It is weird to remove two tracks from the CD version then add it to another CD version.

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Y'all complained about The Fragile (vinyl) and (casette) and With Teeth (EU) and (Japan) and YZR (vinyl) and Ghosts (Deluxe) too I'm sure.

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Y'all complained about The Fragile (vinyl) and (casette) and With Teeth (EU) and (Japan) and YZR (vinyl) and Ghosts (Deluxe) too I'm sure.

Bonus tracks tacked into the end of a CD is different.

And what are the bonus tracks on the Year Zero vinyl?

And the Ghosts tracks were hidden on a DVD (and kind of awful?).

nodylnai
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Pretty sure there weren't any differences in the tracklists for the vinyl version of Year Zero or Ghosts deluxe, just some extra tracks to play with on the multitrack DVD (one of which ended up as part of The Slip).

BRoswell
01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
YZR=Year Zero Remixed. ;)

Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. If I'm desperate to hear the bonus tracks, I'll find a way to hear them.

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
YZR=Year Zero Remixed. ;)

Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. If I'm desperate to hear the bonus tracks, I'll find a way to hear them.
Caring that much about a remix album is just beyond the point where I cross the line.

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Fernando, you seem to not care much about HTDA either, but you do still get angry when anything happens

FernandoDante
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Fernando, you seem to not care much about HTDA either, but you do still get angry when anything happens
So my opinion on what tracks are/aren't on a CD I haven't listened to yet is less valid than anyone else's? That's a funny way to look at things.

This is the HTDA section where we talk about HTDA. I don't see a problem with it.

Deacon Blackfire
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
So, two things I haven't seen posted yet:

You can just download How Long? straight from HTDA's soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels) as opposed to iTunes. And they seem to have uploaded another track by accident...

sheepdean
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
So, two things I haven't seen posted yet:

You can just download How Long? straight from HTDA's soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels) as opposed to iTunes. And they seem to have uploaded another track by accident...
It's just How Long? twice, though I thought that too :P

Deacon Blackfire
01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Ah, damn! Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet so I didn't try giving it a listen.

gorast
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Damn, you psyched me out with that extra song upload shit.

Why is everyone throwing a shit fit over bonus tracks? You guys are acting like this is some sort of brand new marketing scheme that HTDA came up with. Bonus tracks have been a thing ever since CDs hit.

So the two CD versions have different track listings. You guys heard of import bonus tracks? How about "deluxe editions" that just change the track listing around and tack on five dollars? Or are those unknown concepts here?

If it really burns you that much, wait until March when that shit hits Pirate Bay and get it then. This is such a trivial thing to complain about.

Max Leo
01-31-2013, 08:21 PM
With Teeth had an extra song in a few editions, no problem with that since every edition had the whole album, being "Home" just an extra (very good imo) track. And if you really wanted that extra track, you could always buy pretty easily the edition that included it.

Now, just imagine 2 version of TDS, with the cd version lacking "Reptile" and "The Becoming" for no reason at all, songs included in the vinyl version. How does that make any sense? The only reason behind it would be to force the die-hard fans to buy the (much more expensive) vinyl version.

Vinyl is an older format that has become fashionable again because of collectors, and cds can easily include 15 songs instead of just 13, this is not like when "The Fragile" had different songs on vinyl or cassette due to the limited number of songs that said formats could include on each side or for a better sequencing/continuity, this is just the same kind of rip off that Trent bitched about when he left Interscope.

If I remember well, he said that releasing too many different editions of the same thing was just a blatant and insulting rip off, I don't remember if he was talking about the "WITT" single or about the usual different cd editions in Japan or Europe, but including extra tracks just in the most expensive format is exactly the same thing imho, and you just can't compare it to releasing a different edition on Japan or Europe because everybody could order those editions through a billion different stores, however the only way I can add certain HTDA's tracks to my physical collection of albums would be having to buy a format that was dated before many of us were born and which is also way more expensive.

I don't doubt the coolness of the vinyl format, but I just don't see the reason behind excluding certain tracks from the cd version, the only reason I see is the higher price.

And yes, everybody will be able to listen to those songs through TPB or ITunes, but then I don't see why they bother releasing the album as a cd. My album collection are just tons of cds, mabe not as cool as vinyls, but when I grew up almost nobody bought vinyls or vinyl players and I had not an IPod/mp3 player, that was the 90s, I just bought cds for my cd player, and I just would like to buy an album with all of its songs, otherwise I feel treated like a worthless customer. :mad:

slave2thewage
01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Whaaa-mbulance to thread #1358, we have an emergency.

I don't get the bitching, you're getting an extended version of the album on CD and with pretty vinyl packaging/artwork.

my voice just
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
bitches gonna bitch

Ichiro
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
It seems very apparent to me that the two tracks were left off the cd version simply because they didn't make the cut, the comparison here to leaving Reptile and the Becoming off TDS isn't very apt. If they were good enough they would be on the cd, as it its they're just an extra treat for die hard fans. No point in getting so riled up about a couple of bonus tracks that you'll be able to download as soon as the vinyl rip leaks.

gorast
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
I buy CDs to up my cool points when my friends come over.

Are you saying import editions aren't somehow more expensive? because that's just straight up not true. The pre-order for Welcome oblivion's Japanese edition is over forty dollars, if I remember correctly. You're actually getting more (i.e. the 2xvinyl) for less (probably 25 from the website) here.

The extra tracks might have something to do with the sequencing of the vinyl, too. That was the reason for The Fragile's extras, after all - Trent didn't want to put those two tracks on, but he did to make sure the vinyl balanced out. It could be the same sort of thing here - those two songs probably aren't as good as the rest. Plus, the track list is in a somewhat different order for the vinyl, too, which adds credibility to my theory here.

The point I'm trying to make is that we're getting more music than we expected, and I think we should just be pleased with that. Not to say that we should take everything we get at face value, but I don't think HTDA is trying to pull us a fast one or shake us down. In fact, they probably think that this is a good thing for us, considering most of us on this damn board would buy both even if the vinyl was announced to have just those two bonus tracks and absolutely nothing else on it. Completionism and all that.

In any case, I think of the two tracks in the same sense that I thought of Home and RWIBv2 in - bonus tracks. Home was after Sunspots on the With Teeth vinyl, don't forget.

But obviously you're entitled to your opinion and frustration and please don't think I'm trying to de-legitimize your complaints/concerns here. I'm just offering counterpoints that may or may not make sense.

Leviathant
01-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Actually, I would put this very much in the same category as The Fragile on vinyl, or With Teeth on vinyl. Both albums had plenty of space on the CD versions for those songs. At the time The Fragile was announced, I recall Trent saying something about how the vinyl has extended versions and extra songs because it's special. It also has huge-ass artwork. And if you don't want to buy the vinyl version to have those two extra songs, I'll be happy to hear you whine after you've spent a decade chasing down the CD quality version of Butch Vig's remix of Last, or 45 minutes of unreleased Coil remixes. It's being put out on a CD. It will be on YouTube within minutes of the first fan getting their hands on it. You will hear the exclusive songs.

I would also argue this is not the same kind of ripoff Trent complained about with Interscope. You've seen the tracklist of the WITT singles, right? That was bullshit, and I'm very fortunate that I had friends who got me those CDs as a gift, because I sure as hell would have a hard time justifying the price of them (although knowing what they later sold for, I might regret not having bought more copies).

When it comes to Trent Reznor format-exclusive tracks, you don't even know what want is. Do you know how many years I went knowing that there were vinyl-only remixes of Happiness in Slavery and The Perfect Drug, but never hearing them? And the first rips that eventually made their way onto the internet were horribly compressed, played off terrible turntables. Rumors of a Japan-only remix of Reptile that never actually existed. "The Lost Fragile Tracks" photo, posted to nin.com, but never really followed up on. Nowadays, remixes leak that don't even make the official releases (Bill Laswell, where did all those remixes come from?) and with a label being involved, you're pretty much guaranteed to hear the album before your official copy shows up.

Get the vinyl, or get the standard release, and then get over it (and get off my lawn)! <3

Deadpool
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that we're getting more music than we expected, and I think we should just be pleased with that. In fact, they probably think that this is a good thing for us, considering most of us on this damn board would buy both even if the vinyl was announced to have just those two bonus tracks and absolutely nothing else on it. Completionism and all that.

Personally, I was thrilled to see separate CD and vinyl tracklists this morning. We're getting even more new music than anticipated! That alone excites me. Like Final Destiny is saying, a lot of us would probably buy the CD and vinyl versions even if they were identical, so it's pretty awesome that there's not only differing artwork, but also differing tracklists. I like owning vinyl simply for the added tangibility and larger artwork. The alternate solutions to layout often fascinate me, too, since the same art will usually be used but in a cool, different way for each medium. Sometimes I prefer the CD packaging, other times the vinyl packaging.

...so, I like that How to Destroy Angels are taking that a step further by making a different cover for each format, and offering alternate track orders. They're certainly not the first band to do it, but I always appreciate when that happens with artists I like.

Now, if this was the 90s, and you couldn't Google or YouTube a song in seconds, then this bonus track business would be a bigger deal. Leviathant's post above is really making me grateful for the instant gratification we're used to today.

gorast
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Granted, the artwork differences aren't nearly as radical as the ones for EP1 (and I actually like the design of the CD more), but that's another thing too. Sometimes I pull out my omen vinyl and just stare into the endless blue.

Too much blue in that packaging. I'm glad there's more color this time around.

seasonsinthesky
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
including a CD with the vinyl with the vinyl version on it is incredibly smart. why does no one else do this stuff? i'm tired of an industry built on not giving people what they want when they spend cash on your art.

gorast
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
including a CD with the vinyl with the vinyl version on it is incredibly smart. why does no one else do this stuff? i'm tired of an industry built on not giving people what they want when they spend cash on your art.
Bruce Springsteen did that last time around. Then again, he also did the bullshit "deluxe edition" with nothing but two extra tracks tacked onto the end of the album, which wasn't on the vinyl/CD included with it.

Max Leo
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Ok, I'll stop whining after just one simple question: if those songs were weaker and included on the vinyl version for just some unknown reason regarding the technical differences between formats... why are they including a cd with the vinyl version of the album with the vinyls? Couldn't they just do the same with all the cds? :confused:

I don't know, I'll wait till the album is out to see if my bitching is justified. XD But I'm still upset for not having the 2 tracks from An_Omen in a physical format because I like them, specially Speaking In Tongues, so if the 2 extra tracks in the vinyl version suck, the "better" (not really), but if they are great and improve the whole album, I'll be irremediably mad. :mad: XD

About the price thing: you can buy tons of european cds in many stores like play.com or amazon uk for a very reasonable price, maybe japanese editions are a different story, but those editions usually include just some extra remixes or songs from the singles b-sides and stuff like that, which is not the same thing for me. However, if an album like Year Zero included extra tracks on its japanese edition that were not available anywhere else, then I would be pissed too, but at least I could buy the damn thing even if I wouldn't understand the reason behind releasing an album with different tracklists. But in this case, I'm not going to buy the vinyls because I'll never play them, and everytime I listen to the cd I'll be missing 2 tracks if they are any good, if they suck I'll just better think that the cd version is the ultimate/best version and I'll not mind that much. XD

But in my opinion every album should always have the same tracklist no matter the format. Then you can include some extra stuff AFTER all the songs or in an extra cd in a deluxe edition, I don't mind that too much, what I hate is when this is done with the proper tracklist of the album, is this a 13 tracks album with a couple of extras or is this a 15 tracks album with an inferior edition? When I mentioned TDS, I know that album has 14 tracks, period (and I know that there is a version with Dead Souls instead of Big Man, but that's not TDS for me), I know PHM has 10 tracks and the reedition included GDML's cover (which I love), but PHM is still a 10 tracks album no matter how many extras you want to include in different reeditions (btw, I HATED the lack of the Midnight Express sample in Sanctified, maybe I have some kind of mental problem XDDD).

BenAkenobi
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
you americans can justify the vinyl-exclusive thing nice and easy, nothing wrong there. you go into store, choose between all editions and maybe go out with both (or more) in your hands.
but for those in other countries it's different. we get a "lite" version as if it is the one and only version without any alternative, in fact i very much doubt i'll see a local HTDA release here.
i remember getting AATCHB. noticed the "CD1" on the spine and asked in the shop: what, there's more? they said: no idea. constant rip-off with straight face, that's what it is if you want an _original_ thing.
importing vinyl is gamble because the sender may or may not have wrapped it safely and i'm not even mentioning the postage rates, let alone weeks (sometimes months) of waiting for a fucking hour of music

BRoswell
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't know, I'll wait till the album is out to see if my bitching is justified.

Hmm, there's an idea. :p

carpenoctem
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Album art is INSANE. It's definitely the prettiest, creepiest thing with Reznor's name on it that's ever been released.

How is it that I always vacillate from "meh, I don't care" to "I must have this right now" with HTDA? These guys know how to work the hype just right.

simonn
02-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Song's not doing it for me, having heard it 3 time now. Just a bit bland imo, and not even the instrumental brerak is particularly inspired. Now heard 7 songs from this project and like 4, not a great hit obviously rate, normally love about 90% of what TR releases - obviously I know there's more to this project than him though...

PhoenixML
02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Song's not doing it for me, having heard it 3 time now. Just a bit bland imo, and not even the instrumental brerak is particularly inspired. Now heard 7 songs from this project and like 4, not a great hit obviously rate, normally love about 90% of what TR releases - obviously I know there's more to this project than him though...

Just 7? What EP did you not listen to?

screwdriver
02-01-2013, 09:09 AM

you are aware he writes for antiquiet, right? does this attitude surprise you?

super jacked for this album. the new track is great -- god, new Bowie and HTDA in March? Jesus we're spoiled.

eversonpoe
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM

by "this project" i think he meant "this current set of releases" and wasn't referring to EP1

Camille
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
It's good that the track is now on soundcloud for everyone and their dog to hear and/or download. I thought that I may end up having to delve into the world of iTunery to get the bugger.

As for these extra album tracks, they sure do seem to have a few folk here in a bit of a tizz. Personally, I don't give two hoots whether I even hear them, though no doubt I will at some point. I'm just glad there is an album at all.

buckaroo
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
i really like that the cd and vinyl are different. for the most part i do not have time to sit down and listen to vinyl. i usually listen to music in my car. so having the vinyl be a different experience (not just the fact that it's vinyl) is great for me. it motivates me to take the time to sit and listen to it in that mode. plus i like to collect things, so i can buy both the vinyl and regular cd.

does anyone else think the tracklist reads sort of like a concept album?

Henrie_Schnee
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Ok, I'll stop whining after just one simple question: if those songs were weaker and included on the vinyl version for just some unknown reason regarding the technical differences between formats... why are they including a cd with the vinyl version of the album with the vinyls? Couldn't they just do the same with all the cds? :confused:

I don't know, I'll wait till the album is out to see if my bitching is justified. XD But I'm still upset for not having the 2 tracks from An_Omen in a physical format because I like them, specially Speaking In Tongues, so if the 2 extra tracks in the vinyl version suck, the "better" (not really), but if they are great and improve the whole album, I'll be irremediably mad. :mad: XD

About the price thing: you can buy tons of european cds in many stores like play.com or amazon uk for a very reasonable price, maybe japanese editions are a different story, but those editions usually include just some extra remixes or songs from the singles b-sides and stuff like that, which is not the same thing for me. However, if an album like Year Zero included extra tracks on its japanese edition that were not available anywhere else, then I would be pissed too, but at least I could buy the damn thing even if I wouldn't understand the reason behind releasing an album with different tracklists. But in this case, I'm not going to buy the vinyls because I'll never play them, and everytime I listen to the cd I'll be missing 2 tracks if they are any good, if they suck I'll just better think that the cd version is the ultimate/best version and I'll not mind that much. XD

But in my opinion every album should always have the same tracklist no matter the format. Then you can include some extra stuff AFTER all the songs or in an extra cd in a deluxe edition, I don't mind that too much, what I hate is when this is done with the proper tracklist of the album, is this a 13 tracks album with a couple of extras or is this a 15 tracks album with an inferior edition? When I mentioned TDS, I know that album has 14 tracks, period (and I know that there is a version with Dead Souls instead of Big Man, but that's not TDS for me), I know PHM has 10 tracks and the reedition included GDML's cover (which I love), but PHM is still a 10 tracks album no matter how many extras you want to include in different reeditions (btw, I HATED the lack of the Midnight Express sample in Sanctified, maybe I have some kind of mental problem XDDD).

Well, you answered your questions yourself: Vinyl is again an up-and-coming format, because you can charge it at an "usual price" (the price you would have paid for a new CD a few years ago), and it brings several key benefits for the artist: It's hard to rip vinyl, they're better to present your artwork (and I think Rob & Rez learned that lesson making the Ghosts- and TGWTDT-LPs) and they're more collectible in a time when, as you mentioned, digital music ought to be free anyway.

But, I'd be bitching too, if they wouldn't have promised to make a CD-version of the Vinyl available for free.

Plus, you could argue that the Omen EP was as much as promo for the idea of NIN/HDA on vinyl as it was for the coming full record. Think of the exclusivity, it being catered to the old NIN clientel & the bonus promo-single for preorders on the official site.

And the example of vinyl being a rip of was the "Capital G"-Vinyl Single, which was a thing the record company pushed. They released it, but never made it an official Halo for the reasons you listed.

botley
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
As far as I'm concerned, they got it right with the very first EP: sell a cool physical product (either CD or vinyl or a T-shirt), and bundle a download with it that has the WHOLE THING in as high-quality a format as you want — even 24bit lossless, i.e. better than either physical format. I've no idea why that hasn't been offered since.

I don't want vinyl but I want the extra tracks. Why force me to steal them? Just offer a decent physical product that comes with a download of the whole thing. Putting the vinyl version on this exclusive white-label CD is a terrible idea because you could just as easily make it available separately as a download and skip the middleman. As it stands, vinyl fans are going to have to rip one of the two physical media or steal it if they want to listen to their complete purchase on a non-physical media player.

I'm not complaining, I'm just not going to buy the album direct from HTDA. I was a very satisfied customer at one point, and now they've turned me off.

jessamineny
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I also think it's cool how they bundle high-quality downloads with your purchase from their store. I would have waited to buy my CD from them if the download had the two bonus tracks on it -- would have been worth the high cost of postage from Topspin. But I'm not grumbly that the option isn't available. Maybe we'll be able to buy those two separately on iTunes. If not, we'll just "acquire them elsewhere." ::shrug::

simonn
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Talking about Omen EP + How Long. Liked all of the 1st EP, except The Believers. So, including IYLSE, like 10 out of 14 tracks so far, about 70%. Can you tell I work with numbers!?

Point was, I'm finding more to dislike about 'the new stuff'. To the point where it might but not be a given that I'd go out and buy it, which it was before The Omen EP came out.

talkingnothing
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't want vinyl but I want the extra tracks. Why force me to steal them? Just offer a decent physical product that comes with a download of the whole thing. Putting the vinyl version on this exclusive white-label CD is a terrible idea because you could just as easily make it available separately as a download and skip the middleman. As it stands, vinyl fans are going to have to rip one of the two physical media or steal it if they want to listen to their complete purchase on a non-physical media player.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I understand vinyl versions being slightly different because of segues between songs and whatnot, but if you make an album to conform with vinyl limitations like side lengths and whatnot, then why isn't the cd version or digital version just a replica of that? and if you make an album that fits cd limitations (74 minutes or whatever) you may have to truncate segues or songs to fit onto vinyl, but you didn't set out to make a thing for that format so no big deal. i guess i don't quite get the idea of 2 versions. but I'm not going to let it bug me too much.

I do quite like the new track. every time I listen to it I end up playing it 2 or 3 more times.

I may be imagining this, but are there a lot of folks out there who like HTDA but don't like year zero? seems like I see that come up once in a while, but I don't quite get it. maybe I'm making that up. I also used to think that lots of people really disliked YZ, but in the "rank the albums" thread it seems to show up in the top half of a lot of lists. I really like YZ and so I find it easy to really like HTDA as well. I'm crazy about TR&AR's beats. love em.

Merriweather
02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm assuming that buying the album, whether CD or Vinyl, from the HTDA store will offer people a MP3 download on release date as they've done with other releases. If people are buying the vinyl version, will they get the regular album in MP3 form or the White Label?

jessamineny
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm assuming that buying the album, whether CD or Vinyl, from the HTDA store will offer people a MP3 download on release date as they've done with other releases. If people are buying the vinyl version, will they get the regular album in MP3 form or the White Label?

The regular. The bonus tracks will not be included in the downloads that are bundled with purchase from the HTDA store, whether you're buying just the CD or the vinyl.

eversonpoe
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I may be imagining this, but are there a lot of folks out there who like HTDA but don't like year zero? seems like I see that come up once in a while, but I don't quite get it. maybe I'm making that up. I also used to think that lots of people really disliked YZ, but in the "rank the albums" thread it seems to show up in the top half of a lot of lists. I really like YZ and so I find it easy to really like HTDA as well. I'm crazy about TR&AR's beats. love em.

i really dislike year zero, for the most part. the music ranges from decent to pretty good, and i hate almost all of the vocals (but i love the concept).
however, i love every HTDA song i've heard, so far, except "on the wing" (which is funny because most people seem to love it).

The regular. The bonus tracks will not be included in the downloads that are bundled with purchase from the HTDA store, whether you're buying just the CD or the vinyl.

has that been confirmed?

jessamineny
02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
has that been confirmed?

Yes, I asked Rob. (https://twitter.com/jessamineny/status/297046355120115712)

gorast
02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
That's the one thing I don't really like about this release. I mean, it's probably done with the assumption that people buying the vinyl are buying it to listen to it/the CD included, instead of just keeping it sealed and admiring the artwork from the outside, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Shouldn't the multi-format digital download match the physical product you're buying?

Oh well.

botley
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes, it should. I mean, I don't know, maybe there's some artistic reason to not include those two tracks. Maybe they're just filler — in which case, why release them at all?

I'll probably download the standard album from iTunes and steal the bonus tracks. Whatever. It just seems as though people like me who've collected everything TR's ever put out in a digital format are in an awkward spot here.

I certainly appreciate what Leviathant's saying about accessibility. But after the heady days of 2007–2010, this feels like it's going back to business as usual, particularly with Sony/Columbia's involvement.

jessamineny
02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Alternative view: Maybe, as I've been hoping for a while, this really is a concept album. And maybe the CD version is the preferred narrative, so they'd rather most people have that one. (And for the minority who buy the vinyl, maybe the download version doesn't have the bonus tracks because they'd like to make the preferred narrative available to them as well.)

Or maybe not. :)

Canuckle
02-01-2013, 06:01 PM
The only curious decision is the white label CD in my eyes. As I feel it may have been more cost effective for the band to simply produce extra CD's of the CD release and include them (i.e., it doesn't bother me). Maybe it's their way of releasing the tracks in a digital medium so they can be shared? And frankly, if your biggest gripe is that you have to 'steal' two tracks that didn't make the final cut... then, well, deal with it.

The extra tracks idea in general isn't new in the world of vinyl so I see no reason for complaints there. Unless you have been complaining for over a decade.

Lastly, I urge everyone who is worried / complaining to wait until HTDA updates their store with all the pre-order info.

jessamineny
02-01-2013, 06:03 PM
The vinyl does come with a digital download. But that download just doesn't include the bonus tracks. Rob confirmed on Twitter.