PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

gorast
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I noticed that the spine of the retail CD states that its Sigil number is "Sigil 04cd". The band's really pushing the idea that the digital download is the definitive method of purchase, aren't they?

Amnesiac
03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
the loop closes and hallowed ground both skip badly on my white label cd - quality stuff here.

Are you playing the CD itself or a rip of it? I only ask because I had the same problem with (the end of) 'We fade away', 'The loop closes', and 'Hallowed Ground' for some reason. I thought it was because of my drive spastically changing speeds, maybe combined with the songs would be on the very edge of the CD. Try ripping the skipping tracks again (it took me like 3 fuckin times, but now they don't skip) and see if that helps.

I thought that was weird. I'm gonna try the CD in the car or something. I don't remember it looking scratched.

fwhunnercun
03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Are you playing the CD itself or a rip of it? I only ask because I had the same problem with (the end of) 'We fade away', 'The loop closes', and 'Hallowed Ground' for some reason. I thought it was because of my drive spastically changing speeds, maybe combined with the songs would be on the very edge of the CD. Try ripping the skipping tracks again (it took me like 3 fuckin times, but now they don't skip) and see if that helps.

I thought that was weird. I'm gonna try the CD in the car or something. I don't remember it looking scratched.

It's the rip that's skipping...haven't tried the actual disc (guess I should try that before I start bitching). I'm going to try again and see what happens.
Preferences

anodyne304
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

I had the same problem with 'We fade away', had to end up ripping it (via EAC) three times to get it ripped correctly. Welcome Oblivion is my first vinyl purchase and i am sad to say that im pretty damn disappointed at the quality of the delivered product... the the gatefold was dented (as has been mentioned by many others in the US), both album sleeves have worn spots on them (where they didnt fit far enough into the gatefold on each side to keep the sleeves from wearing on the outside), one sleeve had a slight tear/nick in top corner and i wasnt real happy about the white label cd being inserted into the gatefold with the vinyl either. I ordered direct from Modlife and think a large part of the issues came from their packaging for shipping; however, the outer worn spots on the album sleeves is a direct result of the gatefold not being wide enough for them to fit into each side enough to prevent any outer wear & tear.

BUT, it is a KILLER album all griping aside.

screwdriver
03-21-2013, 08:30 PM
so here's a thing... I'm listening to the actual vinyl for the first time... and I'm definitely not a vinyl purist by any means... but the difference to me is so astounding I almost wonder if there are different mixes, even though I know there aren't. I'm hearing things in these tracks I haven't heard yet. This is a really impressive sounding vinyl (even if I don't care for the sequence).

ecirb
03-21-2013, 11:51 PM
I had the same issue with We fade away. Gave it the same EAC treatment.

jmtd
03-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Naw, you did the right thing. Posters are for looking pretty, records are for playing. If you want an investment, get a financial adviser.

Good man.

A half-way solution: buy a 12" acetate record sleeve to put the discs in, and frame the artwork.

jmtd
03-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Am I the only one that think the white label CD just looks really fuckin' smooth? The simplicity of the thing is just beautiful. I almost like it more than the actual CD label.

So I've been enjoying http://uglycds.tumblr.com/ recently but yes, I quite like the simplicity of the bundled CD. I love Sheridan's work on HTDA, but there's something refreshing about "here it is, here's the music, it stands on it's own." I considered framing the bundled CD ironically.

dtuck90
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
It's the rip that's skipping...haven't tried the actual disc (guess I should try that before I start bitching). I'm going to try again and see what happens.
Preferences

Received mine today and my rip has skips dying Hallowed Ground.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Got my replacement vinyl from Modlife in the mail yesterday....30 seconds into "The Wake-Up," it started skipping again. I was dead tired, so I just stopped listening after that. If the rest of the disc is the same way, I think I'm just gonna try buying a copy locally, and if that doesn't work, I think I'll just call it quits.

But hey, at least now I have an extra copy of the CD that I can sell off.

sheepdean
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
My record came at last - no issues with the vinyl yet (currently on side C), I'll check the CD after. Sleeve is very scuffed though :\

Vertigo
03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Did anyone receive their vinyl package with no issues at all?

NIN64
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Mine arrived in perfect condition. No flaws on the vinyl. No skipping on the CD. No complaints from this guy. . .

sheepdean
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
The CD plays fine - the sleeve scuffing isn't the end of the world, but you'd think for the postage costs, they could've used some bubble wrap.

Deadpool
03-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Luckily, I didn't. Records play fine, and packaging was intact.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah. The CD plays perfectly for me. The damage to the case/sleeves don't bother me at all, really. That doesn't seem to be related to the condition of the discs. It's just the fact that half the songs have either a couple noticeable jumps or are completely unlistenable. And I don't really want to point fingers, because the damage could have come from any number of sources. I'm just glad I at least have a couple listenable formats for an album that I paid for. If I didn't have that, I'd probably be a little more peeved.

I might head to one of the local vinyl places downtown this Friday and look for a copy. I hear they have a listening room where you can try records out before you buy them, to make sure they play properly. That's pretty awesome.

jhulud
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I received the second copy I was owed yesterday. This time they mailed it in an actual LP mailer as should have been the first time around. Whew!

slave2thewage
03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Mine came today and was perfectly intact :).

screwdriver
03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
I freaking love this album. That is all.

Reznor2112
03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Quick question. Has anyone ordered HTDA merch besides the album ie shirts? If so, how long does it usually take to ship. My order status has remained the smae for the last few days saying: Order recieved.

sheepdean
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I ordered a shirt separate to the record, and it arrived 4 days earlier than the record - however, shipping notification wasn't updated.

Reznor2112
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I ordered a shirt separate to the record, and it arrived 4 days earlier than the record - however, shipping notification wasn't updated.

Ok, thanks for the info!

JamesCmuse
03-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Pretty cool to think our packages were probably in the same shipment. Mine came that day, too! :)

sentient02970
03-27-2013, 09:35 PM

I noticed this too when it arrived on my doorstep with "PROCESSING" still on the website.

EDIT: Also need to add that I am totally mesmerized by that title track. I absolutely love every note. And those guitar effects on "We fade away" just perfect. I will not be able to catch the tour but look forward to everyone's reviews.

kdrcraig
03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Mine came last week with no damage at all. Don't have a record player so I can't comment if the vinyls skip or not, but the white label CD was in perfect shape and none of the tracks skip. I really dig the bonus tracks and the different song order.

witte
03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
My vinyl, cd, tee arrived yesterday.
Vinyl shows some marks on top corner right. This one stays sealed for my collection.
Shipping box was too big and needed some bubbles to prevent the damage...

LaneSax
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
my vinyl set arrived yesterday too with just the corners bent

dtuck90
03-29-2013, 07:02 AM
anybody had any luck ripping the CD on a Mac without skips?

EDIT: I downloaded XLD and it seems to have ripped the CD without any skips now

laci
03-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Bought the US version of the vinyl+CD set in a local record store in Budapest. Perfect condition and good price. I'm a happy man. I think I keep it sealed. I think the artwork of the vinyl version is better than the CD version.

(Also bought the EU CD version of the album and Sound City - Real to Reel vinyl / CD). Fuck yeah.

konkelo
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
I still haven't received mine, it is shipped though. I guess I'm going to get it very soon because other europeans have started to receive them. Too bad it didn't arrive for easter so I have to wait over this weekend :D

Yatagarasu
03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Poop... haven't had a chance to pop it in a player and test it, but my white label CD has a large crack going right through the inner circle. :(

Same with mine :S. Just ripped and testing for skips now. *fingers crossed*

Edit: No skips!

KreTafkA
03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
I have finally received mine US vinyl and CD , No marks or bends :)

trollmanen
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
From Amazon's listing for the vinyl:

Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

I ordered mine from Modlife. The CD ripped fine, but the first vinyl is badly warped and off center, to the point that it effects the music slightly. They're sending me another copy thankfully. I guess it needs asking again, what issues are people having? Enough people must be returning them to Amazon for them to temporarily stop selling it. Obviously there was some sort of manufacturing delay with the vinyl, but maybe they didn't get all the issues fixed.

konkelo
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Finally received my vinyl today! The corners were also a bit bent but I don't mind, otherwise looks very good. I haven't tested the CD yet if there's any skips, hope not.

shagg_187
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Received my copy of vinyl. I was expecting the CD to be separate packaging but looks like its inside the vinyl. I want the extra tracks! To open or not to open...

otnavuskire
04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Received my copy of vinyl. I was expecting the CD to be separate packaging but looks like its inside the vinyl. I want the extra tracks! To open or not to open...

Open. It's bad for the vinyl to leave it sealed.

jhulud
04-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Ya know. The more and more I listen to the album, the more I find new things to pick up on and love it. I don't get why some are hatin' on it. Oh well.

screwdriver
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Ya know. The more and more I listen to the album, the more I find new things to pick up on and love it. I don't get why some are hatin' on it. Oh well.

its amazing. I wish there was more of it.

Vertigo
04-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Not a lot of hate going on around here. Personally I think it's the best thing Trent's been involved with for a long time, which is saying a lot.

shagg_187
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Open. It's bad for the vinyl to leave it sealed.

Really? I'm not sure if you're joking or not lol!! :P

eversonpoe
04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Really? I'm not sure if you're joking or not lol!! :P

not a joke. vinyl, especially when it's in a gatefold package, is being compressed by the shrink wrap it's in, and it will cause it to degrade in various ways. slit the end, dump the CD out, and get a plastic sleeve (available at your local record store for under a $1, usually), and leave it in "opened, mint" condition. oh, and store it with the opening of the plastic sleeve at the spine end of the record, not the top, or dust will find its way in much more easily.

konkelo
04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I finally got myself to check out the CD that came with the LP and my version has these errors during The Loop Closes. I guess I must download a proper rip of this...

Disassociative
04-12-2013, 04:59 AM
I finally got myself to check out the CD that came with the LP and my version has these errors during The Loop Closes. I guess I must download a proper rip of this...

EAC ripped fixed the skipping for me. Still strange that it skips with a normal rip though :/ mine doesn't even look damaged either

konkelo
04-12-2013, 08:20 AM
EAC ripped fixed the skipping for me. Still strange that it skips with a normal rip though :/ mine doesn't even look damaged either

Did your CD do the errors when you were listening it straight from the CD? I haven't checked that yet with my CD but I was wondering if something goes wrong with the ripping.

Disassociative
04-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Did your CD do the errors when you were listening it straight from the CD? I haven't checked that yet with my CD but I was wondering if something goes wrong with the ripping.

I'm not sure actually, i'll give it a listen now.

Disassociative
04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Alright, sorry for the double post but I can't edit my post for some reason, it just never loads. Anyway, the last 3 tracks which people have had problems with (Mostly The Loop Closes though) play fine without any skips, silence or any errors at all actually. Must be a problem with ripping it :/

konkelo
04-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Alright, sorry for the double post but I can't edit my post for some reason, it just never loads. Anyway, the last 3 tracks which people have had problems with (Mostly The Loop Closes though) play fine without any skips, silence or any errors at all actually. Must be a problem with ripping it :/

That's really strange. And it was supposed to be for "easy digitalizing" :D

Reznor2112
04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Well I was going to ask if anyone would want to sell their "white label" cd but it seems that they are all messed up...:(

Bonedwarf
04-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Not that anyone cares, but after not being that impressed with the HTDA output so far, and being disappointed on first listen, with the Coachella gig incoming last week I decided to go back and give the album another go and it's now become probably my favourite album of the last few years. In fact I've not felt this way about an album (that I NEED to listen to it again, like some sort of drug) for a very, very long time.

So... Yeah. Consider me totally flipped on HTDA and in love now.

Euphemism
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
So any idea how the then extra songs on the vinyl are? Are they up anywhere? I can't find any source for listening, I'm very curious.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
04-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Look on youtube man. That where I first heard them.
Anyways, does anyone know who i could contact about my vinyl skipping? I bought it at a local store and they don't even have another one to exchange it with. :(

Reznor2112
04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
would anyone be nice enough in pm'ing me a link to a non-skipping FLAC rip of the white label CD?
MANY THANKS

Mataxia
04-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I second that. I own it but also had ripping problems.

Jinsai
04-24-2013, 03:17 AM
after seeing this thing live, I'll just say that there's some problems.

#1 "How Long" can fuck off completely. It's got some interesting drum/synth stuttery things going on, but really? this is a bad song.

#2 "Ice Age" isn't too interesting, but it completely falls short live.

brokenfragility
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM
after seeing this thing live, I'll just say that there's some problems.

#1 "How Long" can fuck off completely. It's got some interesting drum/synth stuttery things going on, but really? this is a bad song.

#2 "Ice Age" isn't too interesting, but it completely falls short live.

I agree with both of these, I never ever listen to How Long. I don't think it is completely awful though, its just only okay. The really big vocals in the chorus are its only saving grace to me, I like the sound of them. As for Ice Age, its another song I feel meh about, but I don't discredit it much, I have a few friends who think its like one of the greatest songs ever, so......who knows. I won't be catching HTDA live until voodoo though, so no comment on how these songs are live.

Sutekh
04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
how long is naff and the harmonies remind me of mama by the spice girls

on the wing still sounds too much like i can see clearly now

otherwise I really like this LP! listening to it all the time

dlb
04-28-2013, 05:26 AM
the harmonies remind me of mama by the spice girls

I am soooo glad that I already dislike the song otherwise this would have ruined it completely, because it's true. :D

Warped_Savant
04-28-2013, 03:58 PM

otherwise I really like this LP! listening to it all the time

I am soooo glad that I already dislike the song otherwise this would have ruined it completely, because it's true. :D
I'm just glad that I have no idea what song you two are talking about because, frankly, that would mean that I knew a Spice Girls song...

Fangster_
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Not that anyone cares, but after not being that impressed with the HTDA output so far, and being disappointed on first listen, with the Coachella gig incoming last week I decided to go back and give the album another go and it's now become probably my favourite album of the last few years. In fact I've not felt this way about an album (that I NEED to listen to it again, like some sort of drug) for a very, very long time.

So... Yeah. Consider me totally flipped on HTDA and in love now.

Hear ya, kinda. It's interesting how long it's taken for them to properly grow on me. Concluding my thismanyeth listen of WO as I type this and now suddenly getting those hey, this album is really fucking good feels. Been onboard as a fan since the first EP but now it's, just, greater. One of those records that don't necessarily give you many special vibes at first, but haunt you afterwards, certain parts echoing in your head, and you absolutely have to go back to study it over and over as it eventually becomes this one big outer-worldly entity. Then it's just sexxxxx.

Sutekh
04-28-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm just glad that I have no idea what song you two are talking about because, frankly, that would mean that I knew a Spice Girls song...

You're either young or you never had a job with a radio you couldn't turn off between 1995 and 2000, either way - things are going well

Warped_Savant
04-29-2013, 12:27 AM
You're either young or you never had a job with a radio you couldn't turn off between 1995 and 2000, either way - things are going well
Old enough, but during that time period I either had control of the radio or they weren't the type of music that was piped in where I worked.
(Don't get me wrong, I remember hearing some of their songs when they first came out... don't remember "Mama" and am not about to look it up to see if it's just that my memory is failing me.)

eversonpoe
04-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Old enough, but during that time period I either had control of the radio or they weren't the type of music that was piped in where I worked.
(Don't get me wrong, I remember hearing some of their songs when they first came out... don't remember "Mama" and am not about to look it up to see if it's just that my memory is failing me.)

i used to go over to my friend drew's house and play mortal kombat with her while we listened to the spice girls. it was wonderfully anachronistic.

BRoswell
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM

I don't hear that at all. Explain please.

Sutekh
04-29-2013, 11:04 AM
The way they sing "I hear the warnings on the wing" sounds more or less the same as Nash singing "I can see clearly now the rain -", listen to the two back to back

DVYDRNS
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
First time I heard it I had I can see clearly now stuck in my head for a week.

Warped_Savant
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM
The way they sing "I hear the warnings on the wing" sounds more or less the same as Nash singing "I can see clearly now the rain -", listen to the two back to back
I had no idea what the words actually were (and would always forget to look it up) as my brain would always over-write them with "I can see clearly now, the rain-" and I swear I could hear "is gone" really faded off...

I think I'm a little delusional in my old age...

BRoswell
05-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Played them back to back and I still don't hear it, at least not enough for it to automatically remind me of that song.

butter_hole
05-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Played them back to back and I still don't hear it, at least not enough for it to automatically remind me of that song.
its pretty obvious. you still cant see it clearly, now?

BRoswell
05-02-2013, 01:16 AM
its pretty obvious. you still cant see it clearly, now?

For me, it's kind of like looking at a picture that allegedly features the Loch Ness Monster. You can squint and strain for a bit, and then MAYBE you'll see a blob that kinda, sorta looks like something, but when you look at the picture as a whole, it doesn't look like what you're supposed to be seeing. To me, I can kind of, sort of hear what people are talking about, but I don't personally think it sounds like that. Even if it did sound like that, it's one line, not the whole song. Doesn't really make sense to say "on the wing still sounds too much like i can see clearly now" when you take that into account.

Vertigo
05-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Huh, nobody else got "I hear the lobsters in the sea"?

Substance242
05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I recently bought cheap heart rate box to use with my occasional sporting activities, and I've got an idea - what my heart is doing while listening to music? :-) So yesterday evening at 11:00 pm I started logging my "exercise" and now created little graph with the results - obviously I like How long and The loop closes. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x02rw19aifexmzs/welcomeheart-optimized.png (graph image)
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/187755697/4143195 (original Endomondo "workout")

I listen to music only about 1 to 4 times a week, but it's deep focused single-task "job" with zero distractions, preferably when it's dark outside already and sadly mostly with headphones now (I'm away from nice stereo at home for some time), almost no movement except uncontrollable moving of a leg or two to rhythm and playing some virtual instruments with fingers. :-)

So, no breakthrough discoveries here, but maybe interesting enough to share or smile on. :-)

PS: Going to measure my HR (heart rate) in about a hour during Gran Turismo 5 online race. ;-)

Edit: This Welcome Oblivion version is a personal mix with An Omen EP and two extra tracks, inspired by fellow ETS member.

r_z
05-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Gave this another spin and I'm still not sold on it. The Beats are alright and I'm beginning to understand how acts like Massive Attack stood as an influence for HTDA. Yet, listening to Mezzanine once again, made Welcome Oblivion pale in comparison. I can't really put my finger on it 'though. It's something in the way those cheesy choruses are paired with not exactly the greatest of lyrics. The underlying seriousness, also, is rather annoying. I guess having a guy, whose job solely lies on the artwork side, leads to all kinds of ridiculousness like those_ fucking_ things_ _ _. Just picture them arranging meetings and dinners to plan this stuff. Rofl.

katara
05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Just listened to the album for the first time and had to listen a second immediately. It's fucking great. Not sure why some people dislike it.

The only track which doesn't quite hit the spot for me is How long?

ZeroisGreg
06-04-2013, 11:37 PM
The facepalm button just isn't strong enough
Actually he really did come back haunted....(ba dum tshhhhhhh)

BenAkenobi
06-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Anyone else was looking on cover art and thinking: is it a dude? or a chick? or a dude? or a chick? ugh!

simonn
06-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Damn, wish I hadn't read this post!!

simonn
06-05-2013, 08:19 AM

It is so clear that I tweeted HTDA the day it came out warning them of a likely lawsuit for plagiarism...

r_z
06-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Just came here to say, how good "Unintended Consequences" is. Too bad the rest of the album is not on par. The fact it's even missing on the official version is telling, too.

screwdriver
06-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Just came here to say, how good "Unintended Consequences" is. Too bad the rest of the album is not on par. The fact it's even missing on the official version is telling, too.

Telling of what?

r_z
06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
well, yeah, please forgive my phrasing as it came off a little arrogant. point being: i dont like the album. i like the song. imo, the album would have been a lot better and not as bloated if vocals were kept to a minimum while the beats were as interesting as this one. also, 9 or 10 songs would have been enough. just my 2 c.

BRoswell
06-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I enjoyed the track, but as someone who has collected every bit of music that Trent has been involved with that I can and who's also a BIG instrumental fan, I honestly didn't have much interest in finding it through *ahem* alternative means. It's a decent track, but it's definitely a filler track. To be honest, the only track I'd remove from the album is Hallowed Ground. It's a nice track, but it goes on a little too long, and The Loop Closes feels more like a proper ending to the album.

screwdriver
06-17-2013, 02:16 PM
well, yeah, please forgive my phrasing as it came off a little arrogant. point being: i dont like the album. i like the song. imo, the album would have been a lot better and not as bloated if vocals were kept to a minimum while the beats were as interesting as this one. also, 9 or 10 songs would have been enough. just my 2 c.

man, I could not feel more differently than you. I wish there were 1-2 more vocal tracks on the album; although I do think the instrumentals on the vinyl are better than the instrumentals on the normal album.

that said, this album continues to impress me. I popped in the vinyl yesterday and think the sound design is stunning. gorgeous work. between this and the QOTSA album, this year has been great.

r_z
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Trent and Atticus know what they're doing, no doubt. It's just... the whole thing kind of sounds posed to me. Posed and bloated. I think I see, what they were trying to do. But, ultimately, the album feels like it's pregnant with a meaning that's not there. It's too cliché and generic... like: "the more we change..." wait for it... "everything stays the same". Come on, man.
It wouldn't bother me, weren't it for the seriousness, which lies underneath it all (no pun intended). Trent's like the Chris Nolan of rock music (or one of many): Technically, it can't get any better, but artistically it feels all over the place, bloated and takes itself waaaay too seriously. Like.. god damn you, have some fun already!
Maybe that's why I liked The Slip so much. Because it just is. Not for the sake of proving a point or being the next big artistic statement.

screwdriver
06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Trent and Atticus know what they're doing, no doubt. It's just... the whole thing kind of sounds posed to me. Posed and bloated. I think I see, what they were trying to do. But, ultimately, the album feels like it's pregnant with a meaning that's not there. It's too cliché and generic... like: "the more we change..." wait for it... "everything stays the same". Come on, man.
It wouldn't bother me, weren't it for the seriousness, which lies underneath it all (no pun intended). Trent's like the Chris Nolan of rock music (or one of many): Technically, it can't get any better, but artistically it feels all over the place, bloated and takes itself waaaay too seriously. Like.. god damn you, have some fun already!
Maybe that's why I liked The Slip so much. Because it just is. Not for the sake of proving a point or being the next big artistic statement.

I think that's a fair comparison in a few ways. I think culturally, we've sort of hit the zietgeist of wanting things to be fun and looser again -- it comes and goes in cycles. and HTDA is most definitely not fun or loose (at least, this album)... this is a profoundly self-serious album lyrically. (Though the 'lyrics' to "The Loop Closes" I find so silly I must assume they were playful(?).)

But I think musically there's quite a bit of playfulness going on; I find it hard not to listen to "And The Sky Began to Scream" without feeling a sort of rush of aural discovery that they probably had when they made the track... They set out to capture some sort of Videodrome-vibe and I think on certain songs they knocked it right out of the park.

So, I get what you're saying. I guess I've really stopped expecting much of lyrics generally -- which makes it all the more awesome when some lyrics come around that blow me away (QOTSA, for example).

r_z
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
I agree... musically, this is good stuff. "And The Sky Began To Scream"'s beat kicks ass. The album just doesn't seem to work as a whole for me. For reasons already explained. But you raise some interesting points there, with the zeitgeist and Videodrome comparison(s). Haven't thought about it that way, yet.

Oh, and I'm loving the new QOTSA as well.

butter_hole
06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I've always felt like I've had to love NIN in spite of it taking itself too seriously, not because it takes itself too seriously. This is more of the same, it just doesn't work as well.

jmtd
06-18-2013, 03:57 AM
I don't tend to listen to lyrics much (which at least means I've never disliked "where is everybody") but listening to that Sirius interview gave me the context to get what they're going on about in WO, and I'm looking forward to relistening to it with that in mind.

Edit: I thought inception was Nolan having fun. Which album would be TR's inception? I'd probably say the social network.

katara
06-18-2013, 04:55 AM
I enjoyed the track, but as someone who has collected every bit of music that Trent has been involved with that I can and who's also a BIG instrumental fan, I honestly didn't have much interest in finding it through *ahem* alternative means. It's a decent track, but it's definitely a filler track. To be honest, the only track I'd remove from the album is Hallowed Ground. It's a nice track, but it goes on a little too long, and The Loop Closes feels more like a proper ending to the album.
I can't comment on the vinyl-only tracks, but I have to disagree with you on Hallowed Ground. It's the perfect closer. I love the way the melody from the end of Ice Age is reprised right at the end. The Loop Closes is fantastic, but I think in terms of what they're doing conceptually in the narrative, it wouldn't work as a closing track.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 11:13 PM
finally listened to this on vinyl today. sounded fantastic. i definitely think the last 1/3 of the album gets a little clunky, but i also still enjoy it as a whole.

seasonsinthesky
06-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I love the way the melody from the end of Ice Age is reprised right at the end [of Hallowed Ground].
err, what?

gorast
06-29-2013, 01:41 PM
The vocal melody, the wordless one. They're not exactly alike (the one in Ice Age has more fluctuations), but they sound similar enough for the one in Hallowed Ground to sound like a reprise.

jmtd
07-01-2013, 05:02 AM
The vocal melody, the wordless one. They're not exactly alike (the one in Ice Age has more fluctuations), but they sound similar enough for the one in Hallowed Ground to sound like a reprise.

TR or MQ said something about a reprise on the album somewhere in that Sirius interview, but I couldn't guess which it was. That could be it!

seasonsinthesky
08-16-2013, 10:48 PM
do the official downloads have the BPM tags filled in? if so, can someone post the list?

joplinpicasso
08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Wow, amazing call on that vocal melody reprise. That's exactly what's going on.

In retrospect, this album was exactly what we needed in between the movies scores and new NIN. It's fantastically intriguing. Favorites nowadays are On The Wing, Too Late All Gone, Recursive Self Improvement among others.

Butterscotch
08-23-2013, 07:55 PM
I really enjoyed this album. And The Sky Began To Scream is my favorite.

talkingnothing
09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
with all the talk about the 2 masters for hesitation marks, I was wondering if anyone's done an in-depth comparison of the mastering of welcome oblivion. is it closer to the audiophile mastering on HM or the standard? is the mastering of the white label vinyl cd different than the regular version?

sheepdean
09-09-2013, 10:10 PM
with all the talk about the 2 masters for hesitation marks, I was wondering if anyone's done an in-depth comparison of the mastering of welcome oblivion. is it closer to the audiophile mastering on HM or the standard? is the mastering of the white label vinyl cd different than the regular version?
White label is the vinyl master, not the CD master I believe, but I'm not nerd enough to know the rest

Prettybrokenspiral
09-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I love the album, but the last three or four songs almost sink it for me. It just runs too long at that point. Too much electronic soundscape-noodling going on. I wish the album had been a solid nine or ten tracks, with no overlap from the Omen EP.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything. 13-15 tracks is indeed generous; I'm not kicking Trent music out of bed anytime soon. I just think it would have worked better if they'd have chose not to end the record with three or four tracks that are basically instrumentals.

jmtd
09-17-2013, 04:39 AM
White label is the vinyl master, not the CD master I believe, but I'm not nerd enough to know the rest

I doubt that but I'd have to check to prove it one way or the other.

Vertigo
09-17-2013, 05:00 AM
I love the album, but the last three or four songs almost sink it for me. It just runs too long at that point. Too much electronic soundscape-noodling going on. I wish the album had been a solid nine or ten tracks, with no overlap from the Omen EP.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything. 13-15 tracks is indeed generous; I'm not kicking Trent music out of bed anytime soon. I just think it would have worked better if they'd have chose not to end the record with three or four tracks that are basically instrumentals.

I have no problem at all with We Fade Away (which does actually work quite well as the last lyric-based song) or The Loop Closes, but I get what you mean. Recursive Self-Improvement drags on for too long, and Hallowed Ground is very much going out with a whimper after the noisy buildup of The Loop Closes. I think they'd both work a lot better set to lyrics. The passages where Mariqueen's singing isn't buried under a mountain of effects are some of the best on the album, it'd be great to hear a bit more of that.

That other guy
09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Great overall CD , Live they were amazing , hopefully we have not seen the last of them..

screwdriver
09-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I have no problem at all with We Fade Away (which does actually work quite well as the last lyric-based song) or The Loop Closes, but I get what you mean. Recursive Self-Improvement drags on for too long, and Hallowed Ground is very much going out with a whimper after the noisy buildup of The Loop Closes. I think they'd both work a lot better set to lyrics. The passages where Mariqueen's singing isn't buried under a mountain of effects are some of the best on the album, it'd be great to hear a bit more of that.

yeah, I sort of have to agree with all of this -- the pacing of the album is off
its funny, because as I sit here typing this I'm listening to Low, which I think Antiquiet compared Welcome Oblivion to in terms of pacing. Which, like many things Antiquiet says, is superficially almost accurate. But it doesn't quite gel the same way Low does, and I think it's for two reasons. First, the sharp contrast between the first and second half of Low isn't quite the same on Welcome Oblivion, where the instrumental digressions really just feel like someone muted the vocals. And second, nothing quite hits the experimental high of the latter half of Low -- Subterraneans breaks my heart every single time. Hallowed Ground is interesting but... not good enough to justify the indulgence for this listener, I guess?

as long as I'm wanking right now, I'd replace the existing instrumentals with the vinyl instrumentals, and close out with Speaking in Tongues

[parasite]
09-22-2013, 03:28 PM
guy's does anyone have any idea of variants for welcome to oblivion?
I have Polish, Japan & Argentina ones,
I know of Euro & US ones, any others?

KreTafkA
09-23-2013, 04:42 AM
I have Polish version for trade
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/kretafka/img467_zpse6bf909e.jpg (http://s493.photobucket.com/user/kretafka/media/img467_zpse6bf909e.jpg.html)

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/kretafka/img466_zpsc62d1606.jpg (http://s493.photobucket.com/user/kretafka/media/img466_zpsc62d1606.jpg.html)

snaapz
10-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Played this album the other week, running through it again today. The album is better than I remembered. I can understand why some musicians are pissed at apple and what they have done. The $0.30 white ear buds shipped with iPods & iPhones do not reveal the whole song. Especially the low end sounds.

It's bands & groups like these that make music interesting. Imagine walking into a library, with 1000's of albums on shelves. You sift through albums and see this cover, think it's cool and buy it. Take it home not knowing what to expect. Nice treat. Sweet serendipity, is gone. Now-a-days I just click through youtube. The industry isn't too focused on talented, smart, trained musicians. Music should go beyond a synth keyboard, mac, mic, autotune.

Anyway, this album will be a nice one to hold onto for the next 50 years. 'How Long' & the music video still gives me strange feelings of doubt, warmth, joy, pain etc...

/rant

snaapz
10-31-2013, 09:48 AM
'Strings and attractors' is one of my favourite. Some of the sounds remind me of a game I played on my Game Boy when I was like 10. The chorus is killer too.

r_z
10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Finally found a sequence which made listening to this album enjoyable for me:

01 - Keep It Together
02 - And The Sky Began To Scream
03 - On The Wing
04 - The Sleep Of Reason
05 - The Province Of Fear
06 - Strings And Attractors
07 - Unintended Consequences
08 - We Fade Away
09 - The Loop Closes
10 - Speaking In Tongues

witte
11-08-2013, 03:31 PM
This project gives me more joy than HM.

screwdriver
11-12-2013, 09:05 PM
This project gives me more joy than HM.

I could see that. Personally, I think I've listened to this once since HM came out -- I feel like if the second half of the album hit the same highs as the first half, I'd love this a lot more. As is, it feels like a great EP -- not as much to chew on.

xolotl
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Mm, I can agree that sometimes Welcome Oblivion can feel a little overlong, but on the other hand for whatever reason I've been giving this a spin at least once a day for the past week. The vinyl version, even, which is longer! It really is a delicious album, and I'm apparently just falling in love with it all over again. I think you probably do have to be in the right frame of mind to really sink into it and not let the length get to you. It's a pretty wonderful headspace once you're there, though.

WorzelG
10-31-2014, 04:53 PM
I never realised the vinyl edition had more stuff on it and I've only just listened to The Province of Fear, and I bloody love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL3pMZq0uFA

sheepdean
10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
I never realised the vinyl edition had more stuff on it and I've only just listened to The Province of Fear, and I bloody love it
Need a pm?

WorzelG
11-01-2014, 02:53 AM
Need a pm?
Yes please (while you're pming, you wouldn't have the audio for purest feeling as well?)

That other guy
11-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Owning the cd version, still enjoy this cd, would love to hear more of this band, starting to think that may not happen anytime soon...

neorev
05-21-2016, 03:27 AM
does anyone have a high quality large copy of the Welcome Oblivion cover? for instance, what came with the digital download?
when i googled, i came across two slightly different images... one was more smoother when it came to the distorted lines.

botley
05-21-2016, 08:18 AM
does anyone have a high quality large copy of the Welcome Oblivion cover? for instance, what came with the digital download?
when i googled, i came across two slightly different images... one was more smoother when it came to the distorted lines.
Yes, here's one (http://www.nin.wiki/images/8/84/Welcomeoblivioncd.jpg).

neorev
05-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Yes, here's one (http://www.nin.wiki/images/8/84/Welcomeoblivioncd.jpg).

Oh nice, thanks! That's the better looking one. All the ones I see on Google images look fuzzy and crappy. I dunno if it's just people's shitty image rips or another version. Shame if it's a shitty rip being passed around all over.

Khrz
05-21-2016, 04:15 PM

That may be because each track of the digital version of Welcome Oblivion has a differently glitched cover art, progressing over the album. You could make a gif off it. I won't. Too much work. Lazy. But someone could, and may have.

neorev
05-21-2016, 05:07 PM
I have a 24-44 lossless version of the first self titled EP
Qobuz.com sells a version of Welcome Oblivion with the self titled EP as bonus tracks in 24-96 lossless.

Warped_Savant
05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
The vinyl and CD had slightly different covers because they're from two different photographs. The only sign of it is that the distortion lines are different. Maybe that's why you're seeing two different images.

Jon
06-07-2016, 02:50 PM

The covers that came with the hi-res download are available here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzMVhBbFhaZFpSdGM). I did not include the individual track art or the high-quality PDF (75.4 MB). I don't personally see the harm in including them since the download is no longer available to purchase, but that's okay.

cover 01 = 1500 x 1499 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
cover 02 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
cover 03 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB, software and camera metadata

Ryan
06-07-2016, 09:56 PM
The covers that came with the hi-res download are available here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzMVhBbFhaZFpSdGM). I did not include the individual track art or the high-quality PDF (75.4 MB). I don't personally see the harm in including them since the download is no longer available to purchase, but that's okay.

cover 01 = 1500 x 1499 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
cover 02 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
cover 03 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB, software and camera metadata

Your OCD arouses me in ways that words will never be able to convey.

NIN64
12-20-2016, 01:31 PM
If anyone has been on the fence about buying the vinyl of Welcome Oblivion you might want to grab one now. . . store.nin.com only has 4 left in inventory as of right now. . .

NIN64
12-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Too late, all gone. . .

r_z
12-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Listened again just now and I'm really loving the production on this and The Omen EP. So good and trippy.

Does Speaking In Tongues sample the drums of White Mask?

Jon
07-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Too late, all gone. . .

IT LIVES! (https://store.nin.com/collections/music/products/how-to-destroy-angels-welcome-oblivion-2013-pressing2xlp)

jmtd
07-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Did anyone ever figure out or confirm who the person on the front cover actually was?

renton44
07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Just curious, but how could you tell how much they had in stock?

If anyone has been on the fence about buying the vinyl of Welcome Oblivion you might want to grab one now. . . store.nin.com only has 4 left in inventory as of right now. . .

NIN64
07-17-2017, 05:18 PM

If you looked at the js source for each item page on the former store.nin.com there was an "inventory quantity" value that counted down to zero as people purchased. Not sure if the new version has this; I haven't looked...

SM Rollinger
07-17-2017, 11:47 PM
Totally forgot about this record...

Jon
07-18-2017, 05:06 PM

"inventory_quantity":23,"

renton44
07-19-2017, 07:47 AM
If you looked at the js source for each item page on the former store.nin.com there was an "inventory quantity" value that counted down to zero as people purchased. Not sure if the new version has this; I haven't looked...

That is so cool! Ty!

Inthemoment
08-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Ordered the Vinyl from shitbag off the NIN website, damaged corner per expected from previous orders, but HOLY SHIT has anyone here heard the two exclusive vinyl tracks???????????????????

It is seriously in my opinion Trent Reznors best work period. I was blown away by The Province of Fear and Unintended Consequences, both have a similar method on the final moments of the track to where just when you think the ear candy is done he does some very very very genius speaker panning and interlaying with certain sounds introduces new elements that technically make you go wow!!!!

Truly worth the Vinyl purchase. Plus did I mention the CD comes with the Vinyl and the Artwork is amazing? I already loved this album the song ice age should have really taken off....Its catchy as hell and yet very different and How Long is incredible. The way Mariqueen melds her voice to the tryptic break your face beats, synth drones, and strings are awesome.

Inthemoment
08-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Just got the Vinyl, this is true, white label cd comes with the vinyl and the extra tracks on the vinyl are also on this cd.

Inthemoment
08-25-2017, 12:00 AM
I doubt that but I'd have to check to prove it one way or the other.

Just received the vinyl this is true came with a white label cd that also had the two exclusive vinyl tracks on them.

eversonpoe
08-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Just received the vinyl this is true came with a white label cd that also had the two exclusive vinyl tracks on them.

that post you responded to is from four years ago. we all know that the vinyl comes with a copy of the vinyl tracklisting on the CD; the question was about which version of the actual mastered audio is on the CD, as vinyl is mastered differently than CDs.

sheepdean
08-25-2017, 07:15 PM
that post you responded to is from four years ago. we all know that the vinyl comes with a copy of the vinyl tracklisting on the CD; the question was about which version of the actual mastered audio is on the CD, as vinyl is mastered differently than CDs.
Considering the track flow on the CD, I think it's the vinyl master, the new tracks flow too well

>oldposts

Jon
08-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Considering the track flow on the CD, I think it's the vinyl master, the new tracks flow too well

>oldposts

Making sure I didn't miss anything; is the vinyl sourced from digital files? I understand there are 2 extra tracks and the sequencing is different.

buckaroo
12-28-2018, 04:04 PM
I’m in the US and need to replace my copy of the vinyl. Where is the best place to get one? I only see it available in the UK store now.

eversonpoe
12-28-2018, 04:26 PM
I’m in the US and need to replace my copy of the vinyl. Where is the best place to get one? I only see it available in the UK store now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/855280232

i'd go with that one, though there's a few others on discogs that are reasonable.

ThermionicScott
12-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Hmm! I figured they were all sold. Now I'm debating whether $10.50 is too much to pay to have a sealed copy shipped to the states. :D

(On second thought, that comment on discogs about the UK pressing makes me wonder about the sound. I'll keep reading first.)

buckaroo
01-02-2019, 01:25 PM
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/855280232

i'd go with that one, though there's a few others on discogs that are reasonable.

Thanks! I got one from a Canadian seller on this site.

eversonpoe
01-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Thanks! I got one from a Canadian seller on this site.

i'm always nervous to buy from canadian sellers because shipping between the US and canada is so expensive it's ridiculous. but i also have no idea where you live :p

Space Suicide
01-06-2019, 10:27 AM
i'm always nervous to buy from canadian sellers because shipping between the US and canada is so expensive it's ridiculous. but i also have no idea where you live :p

Can't exceed albums I buy from Europe on Discogs (Poland, Germany, Sweden). D:

Reznor2112
03-27-2019, 08:27 AM
This sucks...didn't bring my hard drive to the office and wanted to listen to WO this morning... But I refuse to listen to the album without the two extra vinyl tracks...

Damn... oh well. Maybe I can deal without... Unless a friend...nahhhh....

https://media.giphy.com/media/6lRhaQKmcwBos/giphy.gif

theimage13
03-28-2019, 03:04 PM
This sucks...didn't bring my hard drive to the office and wanted to listen to WO this morning... But I refuse to listen to the album without the two extra vinyl tracks...

Damn... oh well. Maybe I can deal without... Unless a friend...nahhhh....

https://media.giphy.com/media/6lRhaQKmcwBos/giphy.gif

And this is why everybody needs a Plex (https://www.plex.tv/) account.

elevenism
05-07-2019, 02:33 AM
I've been trying to spread the word here, for years.

zecho
05-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Or a DAP. I like the ability to listen to my music collection without an internet connection.

theimage13
05-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Or a DAP. I like the ability to listen to my music collection without an internet connection.

Which you can do with Plex. Sync your library to your phone while you are online, enjoy it anywhere if you're not online.

Fang855
08-21-2019, 03:47 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am new at this site.

Sequenteon
08-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Welcome!!!!

imail724
09-06-2019, 01:34 PM
I just finally picked up this album on vinyl. The copy I bought was still sealed, yet there is no CD inside. The sticker on the front clearly states it should have it, but I sure don't see it. Anyone else receive a copy missing the CD? (I honestly have no need for the CD, but I don't like missing things that are supposed to be part of the complete package).

eversonpoe
09-06-2019, 11:49 PM
I just finally picked up this album on vinyl. The copy I bought was still sealed, yet there is no CD inside. The sticker on the front clearly states it should have it, but I sure don't see it. Anyone else receive a copy missing the CD? (I honestly have no need for the CD, but I don't like missing things that are supposed to be part of the complete package).

you sure it's not just crammed in the gatefold? it's in a white window CD envelope so it can be hard to notice inside.

imail724
09-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah I took out both record sleeves and the insert and there was nothing else in there. I wonder if somehow the store managed to get the CD out to sell in separately like they used to do with the Broken bonus cd. Or maybe someone bought it, took the CD out, then returned it. But it was still in the shrinkwrap with the hype sticker on the front, so I dunno if someone would be able to reseal it like that.

sonic_discord
09-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Yeah I took out both record sleeves and the insert and there was nothing else in there. I wonder if somehow the store managed to get the CD out to sell in separately like they used to do with the Broken bonus cd. Or maybe someone bought it, took the CD out, then returned it. But it was still in the shrinkwrap with the hype sticker on the front, so I dunno if someone would be able to reseal it like that.

It's probably more likely that someone missed it at the manufacturing plant. Return it in exchange for a new copy.

imail724
09-07-2019, 05:02 PM
It's probably more likely that someone missed it at the manufacturing plant. Return it in exchange for a new copy.Unfortunately it was the only copy they had. I haven't come across it anywhere else recently aside from discogs. No biggie.

eachpassingphase
09-08-2019, 07:43 PM
I've been listening to HTDA a lot lately, and it suddenly clicked with me just how much I liked a lot of the lyrics. They aren't perfect, but there are a lot of lines that are just SO satisfying. It feels less like the journal-style stuff Trent does and more like...I dunno. World building? I'm not really sure how else to explain it. Like the words are creating an abstract picture in your head to accompany the music. They feel more conceptual than confessional. The feel of the lyrics reminds me a bit of some Mars Volta songs in that "I honestly have no fucking idea what this is about, but dang it, the words SOUND cool together" sort of way. I really dig it.

I feel like I read somewhere that Mariqueen wrote them, but I can't remember for sure now. It doesn't feel like Trent's style at all, and if that's the case then I'd love to see her do more writing because I think she's got a lot of talent and I would like to see what her writing looks like now after a few years removed from HTDA's last release. Maybe if she didn't want to do another round of HTDA she would be willing to do a book of poetry or something? I'd be interested in it for sure.

eversonpoe
09-09-2019, 12:29 AM
I've been listening to HTDA a lot lately, and it suddenly clicked with me just how much I liked a lot of the lyrics. They aren't perfect, but there are a lot of lines that are just SO satisfying. It feels less like the journal-style stuff Trent does and more like...I dunno. World building? I'm not really sure how else to explain it. Like the words are creating an abstract picture in your head to accompany the music. They feel more conceptual than confessional. The feel of the lyrics reminds me a bit of some Mars Volta songs in that "I honestly have no fucking idea what this is about, but dang it, the words SOUND cool together" sort of way. I really dig it.

I feel like I read somewhere that Mariqueen wrote them, but I can't remember for sure now. It doesn't feel like Trent's style at all, and if that's the case then I'd love to see her do more writing because I think she's got a lot of talent and I would like to see what her writing looks like now after a few years removed from HTDA's last release. Maybe if she didn't want to do another round of HTDA she would be willing to do a book of poetry or something? I'd be interested in it for sure.

from what i remember, you are correct that Mariqueen was (is?) the main lyricist for HTDA. definitely a big reason why i think HTDA stands separate from NIN (in a good way) and why i really wish they'd do another album.

snaapz
09-10-2019, 02:29 PM
I'd like to hear from MQ as well, having not performed or produced for such a long stretch of time I imagine she has accumulated and collected more than a sufficient amount of artifacts and opinions that must be about to burst.

I fear that TR and AR have established a routine and HTDA would just be another project where they hit the whiteboard, tinker with some toys, record some beats, then move on to project #52

MQ/TR/AR/RS need to take 3-5 weeks and regroup, disappear for example (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mansion_(recording_studio)), disconnect, lock the doors, board up the walls, clear the whiteboard, conjure some angels/demons, focus and dig real fucking deep....

snaapz
09-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Actually, I regret posting and even thinking line #2 and #3 from above. Sometimes I forget who I am talking about and should stop pretending like I know anything about the band and their writing/production process and dedication etc... let alone what's right for them to do.

BRoswell
09-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Sometimes I forget who I am talking about and should stop pretending like I know anything about the band and their writing/production process and dedication etc... let alone what's right for them to do.

I wish more people on here had that mindset. :p

theimage13
09-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Welcome!!!!

Oblivion!!!!

M1ke
11-12-2019, 12:58 PM
This album is good.

neorev
11-29-2019, 05:40 PM
For Welcome Oblivion, did each track have its own unique artwork? If so, I always had the album in WAV digitally, which never had these. If these are available, could someone please upload these in their highest quality? Thanks in advance.

zecho
11-29-2019, 06:01 PM
For Welcome Oblivion, did each track have its own unique artwork? If so, I always had the album in WAV digitally, which never had these. If these are available, could someone please upload these in their highest quality? Thanks in advance.

It came with three covers, not embedded in the tracks. The CD cover, the Vinyl cover, and a third that's two silhouettes on a beach with static across their faces. I think that one is an insert on the physical releases.

gorast
11-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Yes. They're all here. (https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGyyb6) Full resolution is 1500 x 1500, all in order (titles have the track numbers as well), extracted straight from the mp3s.

zecho
11-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Yes. They're all here. (https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGyyb6) Full resolution is 1500 x 1500, all in order (titles have the track numbers as well), extracted straight from the mp3s.

Shit, I forgot about those! I actually made a .gif out of them when they first came out to make it sort of an animation.

neorev
11-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Shit, I forgot about those! I actually made a .gif out of them when they first came out to make it sort of an animation.

Yea, a gif would be cool. Have to make one that starts with the silhouette of the person is there, then they slowly disappear, but then go backwards so the silhouette of the person slowly reappears. That way the person will disappear and reappear over and over seamlessly as a gif.

Substance242
01-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Was listening to some HTDA a few days ago and I still have "Strings And Attractors" in my ear, I love how it changes from (I imagine) silly birds jumping around to that silky, lovely "All these little strings, Holding us together..." chorus... and then outro, beautiful. Welcome Oblivion has amazing sound still (and it was 2013 already? wow).

jmtd
01-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Yea, a gif would be cool. Have to make one that starts with the silhouette of the person is there, then they slowly disappear, but then go backwards so the silhouette of the person slowly reappears. That way the person will disappear and reappear over and over seamlessly as a gif.

I made one too, and I think I uploaded it to the wiki, so I imagine it’s still there.

sonic_discord
01-18-2021, 03:01 PM

https://i.imgur.com/qGIPCGR.gif

neorev
01-18-2021, 03:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qGIPCGR.gif

And there ya go!