PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

konstantin
03-07-2013, 04:38 PM
i don't think WO is even remotely commercial music, so even with a label support i don't see how it'll chart well when it comes to sales. i did notice, however, that the tickets for the show are $40 a pop, which pretty much only established or overhyped bands get to charge. the tour seems to be selling well, so the price point must be right (and i wasn't complaining anyway). looking forward to seeing this "audio/visual installation" show. i tend to see too many shows that end up feeling like the same experience (you can only do so much with little money, i know) so seeing something different should be refreshing, even if i'm not crazy about the music.

butter_hole
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Don't forget Pinion. It's almost like the dude likes little sound design pieces.
There's a difference between "sound design pieces" and formulaic introduction tracks that I feel like I've already heard before, but then again this is just my opinion.

I mean... its a stylistic trick, like Metallica and a diminished fifth or Tool and going to the major III or Lana Del Ray and sounding sultry or Rammstein and doing the bass riff distorted with power chords in the chorus or ... I could go on. It only sounds "constantly appearing" if you've memorized his ouevre.
So I recognize something Trent does which has appeared far too often in his work and it's my fault for knowing his discography too well?

I think we've got to the root of the problem. How do I put this... it's not Trent, it's you.
Do I get charged for the full hour, Doctor?

You're placing these expectations that Trent is going to be able to blow your mind open the way he did when you first started listening to him, when you discovered this music that sounded so unlike other music.
NIN isn't that original, man. And I didn't go into this expecting some world-changing life affirming explosion of love and devotion. I knew what this was going to be before I heard it. Oh wait, there's another problem right there: predictability.

And that's not going to happen unless you unplug for a bit and go listen to other music for awhile.
98% of the music I listen to has nothing to do with Trent. It's listening to other acts that make me wish he could be a part of their world, and not stuck in his own insular bubble, working with the same four people over and over again.

You keep saying you want Trent to change, but objectively, why should you care?
Because I know he's capable of better music than the music he's releasing, and I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of why this album is a disappointment to me. But then again:

http://i.imgur.com/JVgSYpb.png

and yeah, I'll continue buying everything he puts out and everything he has some form of involvement in. Because I love the guy and respect him and want him to make the best music he can make.

Your subconscious is saying it wants a change. You should listen to it.
"98% of the music I listen to has nothing to do with Trent. It's listening to other acts that make me wish he could be a part of their world, and not stuck in his own insular bubble, working with the same four people over and over again."

butter_hole
03-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Also, the NIN announcement timing wasn't obvious? That German festival were about to release their lineup and the NIN camp had to put out a press release ahead of time to try and combat that.

gorast
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Also, the NIN announcement timing wasn't obvious? That German festival were about to release their lineup and the NIN camp had to put out a press release ahead of time to try and combat that.
It's obvious in retrospect, but did we expect NIN to be part of their lineup? That's a serious question, not a snarky one.

butter_hole
03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
It's obvious in retrospect, but did we expect NIN to be part of their lineup? That's a serious question, not a snarky one.
Well, I mean it was obvious when a day after the announcement, the german festival announced their lineup with NIN included. At first I was wondering why he would completely derail the HTDA marketing train, but then it was pretty obvious.

kbo
03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Anybody have an idea why Welcome Oblivion won't play on my new IPOD classic 160gb. I download apple lossless, set my import setting to apple lossless and imported it. It will play in ITunes but not on the Ipod. Why does Ipod bother having lossless if it won't play?

gorast
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Anybody have an idea why Welcome Oblivion won't play on my new IPOD classic 160gb. I download apple lossless, set my import setting to apple lossless and imported it. It will play in ITunes but not on the Ipod. Why does Ipod bother having lossless if it won't play?
The Apple Lossless files are 24/96 and are unplayable by iDevices. Use the mp3s instead.

kbo
03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
What is the sense of having them? Why do they sell them/why does ITunes import them? If I am not concerned about space of Ipod/Hardrive, what is the best quality I can get on my IPOD of welcome oblivion downloads

gorast
03-07-2013, 10:05 PM
What is the sense of having them? Why do they sell them/why does ITunes import them? If I am not concerned about space of Ipod/Hardrive, what is the best quality I can get on my IPOD of welcome oblivion downloads
They're still Apple Lossless, they're just mixed in a higher quality than what the devices can play. Just use the mp3s, you can't even tell the difference unless you're using mega high quality. And even then, your device can't differentiate once it hits a certain point.

kbo
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the help. So basically Ipod can't handles lossless files? Or just these particular lossless or higher quality. So you are saying to use the mp3s? What are the bitrates? what do I set the import setting at for highest quality

gorast
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
iPods can handle up to 24/48. The mp3s are 320kbps, unless you convert the m4as down to something else the mp3s are the best you'll get.

seasonsinthesky
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
has anyone tried the option in iTunes where it converts higher quality files when you transfer them to your iPod/iPhone? i'm thinking it'll probably drop the 96kHz files to 48 (or 44.1) for you, it just won't be lossless anymore. (some people likely won't care about this.)

kbo
03-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Now I can't even get back to them. I keep logging in on destroyangels and it doesn't take. I have reset my password etc????

sheepdean
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
WO still hasn't become available in Australia on Spotify yet, I don't have the money for the CD and I don't want to pirate it either. Hopefully Columbia fixes that up soon, but the HTDA listing on spotify is pretty messy so I'm not holding my breath.
Have you checked How to destroy angels_? They have two band pages because of hipster

Vertigo
03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the help. So basically Ipod can't handles lossless files? Or just these particular lossless or higher quality.

Lossless bitrates can vary, but very few sample at 96kHz, so it's not usually a problem. Personally I'd convert them down to 48 individually with a program like Audacity, but dbPowerAmp might have a plugin to batch-convert the whole lot. For minimum hassle, like everyone else is saying, just use the mp3s.

Now I can't even get back to them. I keep logging in on destroyangels and it doesn't take. I have reset my password etc????

This has been driving me nuts too, you need to lower your security settings in order to log in to the site. I advise doing this by making the store a trusted site:
Assuming you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Security tab, select Trusted Sites (icon with the big green tick), click the Sites button, then add the HTDA store (you might need to untick the "Require server verification" option). Close that little box, and back in the Trusted Sites options, make sure the slider for the security level is at Low (the bottom) with Enabled Protection Mode unticked (make sure you're still in Trusted Sites rather than general Internet). Now OK out, close then re-open the browser, and hopefully you'll finally be able to sign in.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/801/htdaloginshenanigans.jpg (http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4030/htdaloginshenanigans.jpg)

-

You might also need to do add destroyangels.com to allowed cookies under Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites, typing the address then clicking Allow. Give that a go if the above doesn't work.

Henrie_Schnee
03-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Ihre Bestellung wurde verschickt

JPC.de sent the vinyls. EU pressing are fine, as far I can see.

First line is German: "your order is on its way to me". ;)
I expect them friday or saturday.

vvvv

Nice! I preordered my vinyl at a normal german retailer, it was said to be released today... but after the bad news about warped first batches, I figured it would be pointless to even try... but yeah, it had not occured to me that they most likely produce their own batch for the EU market. I will check pretty soon! :-D

Nine Inch Nails issues with german festivals: The never ending story (http://ninblogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/photo-754401-754437.jpg).

slave2thewage
03-08-2013, 08:08 AM
The art only comes embedded in the audio files from the official site, as far as I'm aware of.

ItsJustDave
03-08-2013, 09:38 AM
I can't fully confirm as I'm at work, but it looks like the white label cd made its way to the internets this morning.

r_z
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Poor NIN camp. I'm sure they had no idea, that festivals like to announce their lineups this time of the year. Given it's their first time playing festivals and all...

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I can't fully confirm as I'm at work, but it looks like the white label cd made its way to the internets this morning.
Well if the Germans already have their vinyl, that was expected. Now I have to avoid hearing them for 2 weeks though

witte
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Unintended consequences: spooky and awesome sound effects; instrumental with 'the soft moon' likes voice sounds
The province of fear: nice instrumental, not bad not good, a good filler.

vvv thanks

Q-NeilL
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHLubTLKiSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba3RjoklDfM

dzaver
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't like them (the two new additions to WO). I was expecing something more. The beats are nice but I'm fed up with instrumental pieces by reznor & company

Q-NeilL
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
My actual playlist of synthesis "An Omen"+"Welcome Oblivion":

1. The Wake-up
2. Keep It Together
3. And the Sky Began to Scream
4. Ice Age
5. Welcome Oblivion
6. On the Wing
7. Too Late, All Gone
8. The Province of Fear
9. How Long?
10. Strings and Attractors
11. Recursive Self-Improvement
12. Unintended Consequences
13. Speaking in tongues
14. We Fade Away
15. The sleep of reason produces monsters
16. The Loop Closes
17. Hallowed Ground

gorast
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Two instrumentals, raise your hand if you saw that one coming.

BenAkenobi
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Both ten miles better than The loop closes :(

GrayscaleRain
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
A strange little question.

I've really been enjoying the new album! n.n I think it's fantastic. But one thing has been dampening my enjoyment of it...

Apparently whenever I load the MP3s on my MP3 player, they have trouble being read. It takes several seconds for them to play and locks up my MP3 player for the duration. I've had this happen twice before (both from buying direct, not from Amazon or iTunes) and both times it was solved by re-encoding the MP3s to LAME 320 because they used a funky codec that my MP3 player was having issues with. Crude, but easy enough.

But for these it just doesn't WORK. I've tried re-encoding the FLACs to LAME 320 (both VBR and CBR). I've tried re-encoding the MP3s. I've tried clearing the tags, changing the album art, changing the layout of the folders (changing How To Destroy Angels to HTDA, removing the album folder itself, mixing and matching) but to no avail. I have NO idea what's going on. I've uploaded other MP3s since then and they work fine. An Omen and HTDA work fine. It's just Welcome Oblivion. Has anyone else had this problem and could you fix it? O_o I'm pretty computer savvy and this just doesn't make sense to me. There's NO reason for it.

(This is also my first post on the new boards! n.n Whee.)

PhoenixML
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Welcome Oblivion is a great album.
I don't think my heart is into Trent's instrumentals anymore. Not those one anyway.
Mariqueen is not a terrible singer.
The more I listen to Welcome Oblivion, the more I just want to listen to NIN...
I don't like An Omen EP's existence.
I still can't stand Keep It Together.
The Loop Closes is just totally AWESOME
I kinda like all the new tracks.
Mariqueen's singing backing melody in How Long's chorus is not the best.
My wife said the album would have been better if it was Karen O. I laughed, and deeply agreed...

screwdriver
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Welcome Oblivion is a great album.
I don't think my heart is into Trent's instrumentals anymore. Not those one anyway.
Mariqueen is not a terrible singer.
The more I listen to Welcome Oblivion, the more I just want to listen to NIN...
I don't like An Omen EP's existence.
I still can't stand Keep It Together.
The Loop Closes is just totally AWESOME
I kinda like all the new tracks.
Mariqueen's singing backing melody in How Long's chorus is not the best.
My wife said the album would have been better if it was Karen O. I laughed, and deeply agreed...

yep, I'm totally burned out on the instrumentals too. we've been spoiled for the last few years and now I'm ready for some pop songs.

Mariqueen is a fine singer. If anything, I wish there was more of her.

Yeah, once this album came out I sort of feel burned by An Omen but now that I have the perspective on what it was trying to be, I sort of "get it" more. Still, oof. That said, "Speaking in Tongues" might actually be my favorite thing of all of the HTDA stuff.

I've sort of swung back around on Keep It Together, I have no idea why. I liked it when it came out, then got pretty annoyed by it pretty quick, and now I think its pretty rad. Maybe sequencing saved it? (as an opener or stand-alone track its just so blase, but it fits in the album nicely and I appreciate the groove a lot more.)

I seem to be the only one not riding The Loop Closes' dick, which is cool -- I'm glad others like it, but... meh

But overall, 9/10 for me (if I pretend that Speaking in Tongues is on the album).

Alpha 60
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I actually still really like the instrumentals. I like the two vinyl exclusives and Recursive Self Improvement and Hollowed Ground are probably my favorites off the non-vinyl version. It has nothing to do with vocals, I like the vocal tracks too, but overall I am happy if TR or HTDA continue to pump out instrumentals. I don’t mind some scattered vocal treatments or effects. I think right now, the production side of things is where TR or HTDA or TR and AR is where they are excelling at things. Again, I am not hating on the lyrics or the vocals, I don’t want instrumental versions of all the songs. I am just saying I like the instrumentals.

gorast
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Something's not right in a community when you have to reiterate three times that when you say you like the instrumentals, you aren't actually crucifying Q's vocals.

I just think four instrumentals in a fifteen track album is a bit much. No wonder they're vinyl-exclusive - I'm no longer interested in the vinyl running order, save for one full run of it.

staleincense
03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I actually still really like the instrumentals. I like the two vinyl exclusives and Recursive Self Improvement and Hollowed Ground are probably my favorites off the non-vinyl version. It has nothing to do with vocals, I like the vocal tracks too, but overall I am happy if TR or HTDA continue to pump out instrumentals. I donít mind some scattered vocal treatments or effects. I think right now, the production side of things is where TR or HTDA or TR and AR is where they are excelling at things. Again, I am not hating on the lyrics or the vocals, I donít want instrumental versions of all the songs. I am just saying I like the instrumentals.
I don't mind the instrumentals, they are just too damn long.

Leviathant
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Something's not right in a community when you have to reiterate three times that when you say you like the instrumentals, you aren't actually crucifying Q's vocals.

Well, I think part of that comes from... I mean, have you looked at the comments on the Yahoo News article about HTDA? I don't think we have anyone quite like that here at ETS, but christ almighty, everywhere else there are a lot of folks who have really awful complaints about Mariqueen that have nothing to do with her singing abilities or what people think of them.

ScreamingSlave
03-08-2013, 05:10 PM
You'd think a digital download copy in flac would be allot cheaper then 11$ seriously for 1$ more i get the cd wtf is that with pricing. I was thinking about buying the hd flac but i think now I am going to save my $

dzaver
03-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I was listening a lot to WO theses days and I must say that I love the album. The concept behind it, the art, the music, vocals etc. the only thing that maybe bothers me are the instrumentals cause are kind of boring - especially recursive self-improvement - god I hate this track. It drags and drags... horrible.

So yeah, love the album. But I was thinking why I'm not so into it with feelings. And I guess beacuse everything is so polished... The only point where I feel something is at the breakdown in "and the sky began to scream". To everything else I'm pulled, I listen to it, I'm fascinated and I like it but no hard feelings evoked. Mostly dull and enyoing it. Kind of ambivalent feeling to it.

richardp
03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Y'all are crazy. Province Of Fear is unreal. One of the best beats on the album.

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Why'd you have to post links now I'm going to be tempted for a fortnight :(

richardp
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Is it just me or does Unintended Consequences totally end with the same sound that opens Ice Age, as if it's supposed to transition into that song?

r_z
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Just after a few listens and something about the vocal-performance and the lyrics on the album really annoy me. It sounds a bit too clean and posed for my taste, I guess. The fact, that the lyrics aren't exactly above generic level, doesn't help either. It's just... all the conceptual stuff, the videos, the ridiculous Spelling_, the way how serious they appear to treat their music (and themselves), all this talk about marketing strategies and holding back on releasing the thing for almost a year, ... it all adds to making the whole thing seem incredibly bloated to me.

I understand that it's always been this way with NIN, too. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'd feel the same about TF or TDS, would I hear 'em for the first time now. I really liked The Slip because it felt like Trent had something to say... about the business and his role/place in it... there was a voice there and it seemed like he actually had fun making it, while not tinkering on details for months or years... the record - while not perfect - felt spontaneous and fun. And that's exactly what I feel is missing on the HTDA stuff. Concept and lyrics just come across as corny as can be. I can't make out any voice of importance here.. nor any interesting takes on the topic... or simply fun lyrics. It just feels like a concept made up in hour long sessions by 4 friends after just having seen The Road in theatres.
WO is playing it safe by adding dark lyrics (See: NIN) and dystopian topics (see: NIN) to noisy beats (see: NIN). When Trent said he wanted to challenge himself musically and artistically, I certainly didn't expect him to challenge himself by collaborating with friends/family or interchanging the personal of the live band, while releasing awfully similar music for 4 years and playing HLAH on festivals... again. Especially after his publicist put in all the work in the "Wave Goodbye" and "It doesn't feel like me anymore" arena.

That being said... I can totally see, why people are digging/loving the album. The band caters to the choir here and if you can't get enough of top notch dark beats with cheesy lyrics NIN style, this is for you and you should buy and listen the hell out of it...

Vertigo
03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Is it just me or does Unintended Consequences totally end with the same sound that opens Ice Age, as if it's supposed to transition into that song?

Erm, isn't it the opening of Speaking In Tongues that it transitions into?

:edit: Clue to the one true playing order! First person to nail it is the greatest of all the knights at the Round Table.
Though it does present the issue of whether it should go before or after We Fade Away... sigh. I'm going to bed.

gorast
03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Erm, isn't it the opening of Speaking In Tongues that it transitions into?

:edit: Clue to the one true playing order! First one to nail it is the greatest of all the knights at the round table. Though it does present the issue of whether it should go before or after We Fade Away... sigh. I'm going to bed.
It comes directly before We Fade Away, according to the tracklisting.

Never mind, I totally missed the point of your edit. But that's where it is officially.

ZeroisGreg
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Just after a few listens and something about the vocal-performance and the lyrics on the album really annoy me. It sounds a bit too clean and posed for my taste, I guess. The fact, that the lyrics aren't exactly above generic level, doesn't help either. It's just... all the conceptual stuff, the videos, the ridiculous Spelling_, the way how serious they appear to treat their music (and themselves), all this talk about marketing strategies and holding back on releasing the thing for almost a year, ... it all adds to making the whole thing seem incredibly bloated to me.

I understand that it's always been this way with NIN, too. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'd feel the same about TF or TDS, would I hear 'em for the first time now. I really liked The Slip because it felt like Trent had something to say... about the business and his role/place in it... there was a voice there and it seemed like he actually had fun making it, while not tinkering on details for months or years... the record - while not perfect - felt spontaneous and fun. And that's exactly what I feel is missing on the HTDA stuff. Concept and lyrics just come across as corny as can be. I can't make out any voice of importance here.. nor any interesting takes on the topic... or simply fun lyrics. It just feels like a concept made up in hour long sessions by 4 friends after just having seen The Road in theatres.
WO is playing it safe by adding dark lyrics (See: NIN) and dystopian topics (see: NIN) to noisy beats (see: NIN). When Trent said he wanted to challenge himself musically and artistically, I certainly didn't expect him to challenge himself by collaborating with friends/family or interchanging the personal of the live band, while releasing awfully similar music for 4 years and playing HLAH on festivals... again. Especially after his publicist put in all the work in the "Wave Goodbye" and "It doesn't feel like me anymore" arena.

That being said... I can totally see, why people are digging/loving the album. The band caters to the choir here and if you can't get enough of top notch dark beats with cheesy lyrics NIN style, this is for you and you should buy and listen the hell out of it...

Agreed.
Trent needs new demons to haunt him.

BRoswell
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Maybe his next album should be about his fans.

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Agreed.
Trent needs new demons to haunt him.
The facepalm button just isn't strong enough

Reznor2112
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Anyone care to PM me the 2 vinyl bonus tracks in mp3?

neorev
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
^^ +1 for me. a PM would be nice if possible. would like to download the white label CD besides from the torrent sites. many thanks in advance.

Shnoorum
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm quite liking the extra tracks. Was hoping for some vocals but I was assuming they'd be instrumentals so no biggy. Wouldn't say they surpassed Recursive Self Improvement but I adore that weird ass track something fierce so that's hardly an insult. I can see them quite happily sitting inbetween the other tracks.

seasonsinthesky
03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
quite like "The province of fear" but "Unintended consequences" kinda drags for me (like "Recursive..."). glad to have them, though; they both carry the feel of the apocalypse and big brother and the general themes of the album.

sheepdean
03-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Anyone know what tracks are on what side of the records?

Vertigo
03-09-2013, 02:46 AM
It comes directly before We Fade Away, according to the tracklisting.

Never mind, I totally missed the point of your edit. But that's where it is officially.

Well, the point is that on the vinyl, Speaking In Tongues would come directly before We Fade Away, but on the CD WFA is before Recursive Self Improvement, which immediately precedes Unintended Consequences and, consequently (hilarious), SIT.

I'll second Sheepdean in wanting to know how the vinyl's sides are divided in terms of the track list, and third Reznor2112 and Neorev in saying that it would be absolutely terrible if someone PM'd me links to lossless versions of those two extra tracks. An awful and dispicable thing to do. I could never, ever possibly forgive that person. Especially if they were in M4A format.

zecho
03-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Are there any differences in the songs? Segues or extended sections? I won't have the chance to listen to it until tomorrow evening, so I'm hoping someone here will fill me in so I can be lazy about it.

gorast
03-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Well, the point is that on the vinyl, Speaking In Tongues would come directly before We Fade Away, but on the CD WFA is before Recursive Self Improvement, which immediately precedes Unintended Consequences and, consequently (hilarious), SIT.

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at. What's your rationale for Speaking in tongues's position anywhere in the tracklist?

zecho
03-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Never mind, I figured it out. I'll post the differences tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

witte
03-09-2013, 04:15 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/F0C60B01-19BE-4467-81ED-97EFB230F873-4724-000005C6EFA3AB37_zps1d1dc3d8.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/F25015B9-13BC-4729-ABFA-CEA17B5D7D6F-4724-000005C6F889F519_zpsd165277c.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/0C00A3DD-B327-4074-8C0F-51BF0AC52F5C-4724-000005C6FFEAE884_zpsc2af6120.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/D538E47B-D3FD-4C07-848A-CBB55C832249-4724-000005C708193914_zpsba0fe87c.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/F66689BD-3FB1-43D1-8033-9247D3C0438D-4724-000005C70F517F58_zps29279658.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/01854C95-6475-423C-9A14-1EFB34FCEEE5-4724-000005C717488C19_zps14bffbd9.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/How To Destroy Angels/E73EFFD7-4F33-4EF9-8D74-5A4ADB125549-4724-000005D5291720D8_zpsa47730f3.jpg

laci
03-09-2013, 05:32 AM
^
Beautiful. Cannot wait to get mine.

Can I use these photos on the nin.hu Fb page (https://www.facebook.com/ninhungary)?

dzaver
03-09-2013, 05:47 AM
The vinyl packaging looks really nice!

Vertigo
03-09-2013, 07:28 AM
I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at. What's your rationale for Speaking in tongues's position anywhere in the tracklist?

Unintended Consequences introduces a drone during its last few seconds which also opens (and continues as a major part of) Speaking In Tongues. Play the youtube clip from the last page, it starts from around 5:08.
It sounds like a segue to me, despite SIT not appearing on the record... The drone doesn't figure in We Fade Away, which follows Unintended Consequences on the vinyl.

:edit: Just tried removing the end silence from Unintended Consequences, it segues perfectly into Speaking In Tongues.

butter_hole
03-09-2013, 07:30 AM
re: my previous posts: We Fade Away is completely and utterly something that sounds lifted from the GWTDT score but with TR vocals on top.

Demogorgon
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
edit: nevermind, carry on.

my voice just
03-09-2013, 08:38 AM
We Fade Away is completely and utterly something that sounds lifted from the GWTDT score but with TR vocals on top.
you mean that annoying beeping buchla-ally-style sound?..
yeah, it`s all over GWTDT

konkelo
03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
The packaging of the vinyl looks REALLY nice! I can't wait to get mine.

jessamineny
03-09-2013, 09:18 AM
You'd think a digital download copy in flac would be allot cheaper then 11$ seriously for 1$ more i get the cd wtf is that with pricing. I was thinking about buying the hd flac but i think now I am going to save my $

Just think of digital as the new physical medium. Why should they charge much less for it? Sure, they don't have to press CDs, but they still have costs associated with hosting the content and delivering it to you. And it does cost. You don't want your release to be a MBV, right?

Your problem is that you see people getting digital for "free" when they buy a CD or vinyl directly from the band... but that's just an incentive to get people to buy directly from the artist, made possible because they're selling (higher quality) digital downloads at the market rate in the first place. (It's $10.99 on iTunes.)

thetourist
03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Vinyl arrived today, looks amazing and sounds pretty nice too! There is no mention on the EU release of any SIGIL or sigil mark or whatsoever. Is it on the US CD release?

thelastdisciple
03-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Vinyl arrived today, looks amazing and sounds pretty nice too! There is no mention on the EU release of any SIGIL or sigil mark or whatsoever. Is it on the US CD release?
Yeah it says Sigil 04 on the spine of the CD case.

xfocalinx
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
So, I JUST noticed the different "album art" on my ipod this morning.. *blush*

seasonsinthesky
03-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Are there any differences in the songs? Segues or extended sections? I won't have the chance to listen to it until tomorrow evening, so I'm hoping someone here will fill me in so I can be lazy about it.

the rest of the songs seem to be the same, except the switchup of "Ice age" and "Welcome oblivion" change how they segue from "And the sky began to scream."

and "Unintended consequences" does indeed segue right into "Speaking in tongues," except it's bit like the situation we had before with "10 Miles High" coming out the end of "The Mark Has Been Made" — the start of SIT is louder than the ending of UC, so it'll take some automation adjusting to get that working properly.

thepresence0
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
My issue with the two Vinyl tracks?

I can't insert them into the album without screwing up the artwork continuity :)

(the two tracks are great btw)

gorast
03-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Damn that vinyl looks incredible. Can't wait to...look at the front and back of mine and never open it.

I didn't realize that Modlife ships through UPS. Plus I don't have a tracking number for my package because the link included in the order page was blank. This is becoming frustrating again.

ScreamingSlave
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Just think of digital as the new physical medium. Why should they charge much less for it? Sure, they don't have to press CDs, but they still have costs associated with hosting the content and delivering it to you. And it does cost. You don't want your release to be a MBV, right?

Your problem is that you see people getting digital for "free" when they buy a CD or vinyl directly from the band... but that's just an incentive to get people to buy directly from the artist, made possible because they're selling (higher quality) digital downloads at the market rate in the first place. (It's $10.99 on iTunes.)

Actually I bought the CD I don't believe in downloading it for free I love how people like to assume what I am thinking. I just think that the digital download should be allot cheaper no manufacturing costs no packaging no art. And the one thing that pisses me off about this release is the vinyl only bonus 2 tracks something Trent was very much against back in the day he spoke about it several times. Kind of surprising to see him only add bonus tracks to one release. If the artist wants people to buy from them directly why not offer the whole package in one download or add the tracks to the cd its just screwing over the fans for more $ to separate out extra tracks.

jessamineny
03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I didn't say or insinuate anywhere that you did or were planning to download for free. :confused:

thepresence0
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Columbia is a factor in pricing. And I think it's fair. Especially given that demand for HTDA is not incredibly high. Plain and simple business isn't always evil or malicious.

Collin
03-09-2013, 04:10 PM
The b-sides are decent. Still, this means that the vinyl version will have 5 instrumentals of the 15 tracks on it (the wake-up, tfod, uc, rsI AND hallowed ground).
Honestly though, I think both of bsides are better than Recursive-Self Improvement, I don't know how that one made the final tracklist.

Also, could anyone PM me the two bsides?

Warped_Savant
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Are people really not able to use Google anymore?
I'm honestly confused by this...

gorast
03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Are people really not able to use Google anymore?
I'm honestly confused by this...
It's more convenient to ask around in a community you trust than to sift through shady filesharing sites, if that's what your snide comment was about.

Harry Seaward
03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
All these cheap, flimsy, cardboard gatefold CD cases makes me want to stop buying CDs.

eversonpoe
03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Actually I bought the CD I don't believe in downloading it for free I love how people like to assume what I am thinking. I just think that the digital download should be allot cheaper no manufacturing costs no packaging no art. And the one thing that pisses me off about this release is the vinyl only bonus 2 tracks something Trent was very much against back in the day he spoke about it several times. Kind of surprising to see him only add bonus tracks to one release. If the artist wants people to buy from them directly why not offer the whole package in one download or add the tracks to the cd its just screwing over the fans for more $ to separate out extra tracks.

you do get the artwork. it comes with a high-quality PDF of all the artwork, plus a bunch of wallpapers sized for different devices, and embedded individual track art. and if it's $10.99 on iTunes for MP3s (which, i'm assuming, don't come with the PDF or wallpapers or embedded individual track artwork), you should be happy that the FLAC download directly from the band is the same price.

BRoswell
03-09-2013, 05:10 PM
re: my previous posts: We Fade Away is completely and utterly something that sounds lifted from the GWTDT score but with TR vocals on top.

And your point is?

sheepdean
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
All these cheap, flimsy, cardboard gatefold CD cases makes me want to stop buying CDs.
Digipak looks nicer, jewel case lasts longer. There's no cheap way to get hard wearing and pretty look (though the expensive ways look glorious, I have a Kasabian album bound in a lovely hardcover fabric and card case).

gorast
03-09-2013, 05:24 PM
I honestly hate getting jewel cases because they don't look or feel nice. Digipaks are much more visually attractive, and plus if you drop them they don't break like jewel cases do.

Leviathant
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
And your point is?

I had asked butter_hole which songs on HTDA sound like previous work involving Trent Reznor.

Warped_Savant
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
It's more convenient to ask around in a community you trust than to sift through shady filesharing sites, if that's what your snide comment was about.
I guess I've just been lucky and never had any issues arise from ISOHunt...

Warped_Savant
03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I honestly hate getting jewel cases because they don't look or feel nice. Digipaks are much more visually attractive, and plus if you drop them they don't break like jewel cases do.
The problem I find with Digipacks is that if you do drop it and the little bits that hold the cd in place break there's really no way to fix it.

Harry Seaward
03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Digipak looks nicer, jewel case lasts longer. There's no cheap way to get hard wearing and pretty look (though the expensive ways look glorious, I have a Kasabian album bound in a lovely hardcover fabric and card case).

I wasn't aware there were people who actually preferred these.

I can't think of a single reason I'd rather have a digipak. If your jewel case breaks, you can easily switch out the booklet/inserts with another case and be right as rain. If your digipak bends or gets worn at the corner (which they usually always do), then you're just SOL. I also disagree that digipaks even look nicer. To me, they just carry an air of cheapness.

Vertigo
03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah, much prefer jewel cases too. My Fragile digipak has so many creases that it looks like a mildly squarish scrotum, I'm afraid I'll be arrested if I take it out in public.

Substance242
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
My actual playlist of synthesis "An Omen"+"Welcome Oblivion":

Tried your order and I think it works! I will keep it like this, thank you.

reseen_lamenti
03-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Ditto. Mucho appreciated.

neorev
03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
"The Province Of Fear" reminds me a bit like Meat Beat Manifesto

seasonsinthesky
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
I wasn't aware there were people who actually preferred these.

I can't think of a single reason I'd rather have a digipak. If your jewel case breaks, you can easily switch out the booklet/inserts with another case and be right as rain. If your digipak bends or gets worn at the corner (which they usually always do), then you're just SOL. I also disagree that digipaks even look nicer. To me, they just carry an air of cheapness.

unless your booklet is a non-standard thickness (applies to a LOT of releases), in which case it doesn't sit in the jewel case cover correctly (slides out every time you open it, leaves pockmarks on the booklet because it's too tight, whatever). not to mention the weird ways and places in which they can break that don't apply to digipaks, and the fact that some stores/labels put that sealing sticker across the top of the case and leave sticky crap to forever collect hair and dust. the goo-off stuff never really works right! and jewel cases are actually a lot cheaper — like, significantly cheaper to make. friggin' pennies. that's why they're crap!

however, any issues with jewel cases OR digipaks are fixed with the same remedy: store them well and don't get yer grubby fingerprints all over them. it's not difficult.

also, the version of "Ice age" from An omen EP_ has a longer and different intro than the album version. it's the same sound, but they must have rendered it differently; the song has the same exact intro on the regular and vinyl versions (save the different segues), just not the EP.

neorev
03-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Digipacks carry an heir of cheapness? Seriously? Jewel cases are cheap. Digipacks are the closest you get to the original way vinyl records were presented package-wise. Actually now they even have something more closer without the plastic holding the CD, it slips in the sleeve itself. So I really can't understand how someone could call digipacks cheap looking. They are much more classier and show off the art in a much sleeker way. Who's going around smashing up digipacks? I've never had a digipack bend or break... even after moving multiple times and having to pack them up in a box. If a CD case ever broke, it was always a jewel case one. The plastic is so crappy and cheap. Are you playing football with them? I prefer digipacks/wallets/sleeves over jewel case anyday. Especially if you want to stick closer to the vinyl aesthetic. If you prefer jewel cases... fine. But to say that digipacks look cheap... you're crazy.

gorast
03-10-2013, 12:23 AM
I personally prefer digipaks without any plastic in them for that very reason (looking more like mini-vinyl packages.) To keep this on topic, I'm disappointed that Welcome oblivion has a CD tray, especially since EP1 didn't. Oh well. Can't win all the time.

Speaking of the CD, does anyone know what the contents of the liner notes are? Is it just the art?

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 01:01 AM
Speaking of the CD, does anyone know what the contents of the liner notes are? Is it just the art?
I assume it's the same as the PDF that we got with the digital download? I know it doesn't have the lyrics.

richardp
03-10-2013, 01:42 AM
I assume it's the same as the PDF that we got with the digital download? I know it doesn't have the lyrics.

PDF actually has way more art than the cd booklet. It's only like 6 pages.

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Well that sucks. What's the vinyl booklet like?

Harry Seaward
03-10-2013, 03:07 AM
Here (http://imgur.com/a/X6wZ2#0) is what you get with the CD, if anyone is interested.

thepresence0
03-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Here (http://imgur.com/a/X6wZ2#0) is what you get with the CD, if anyone is interested.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on the music, Rob Sheridan's artwork on Welcome Oblivion has been just above and beyond. Probably my favorite set of work I've seen him do, NIN/HTDA-related or otherwise.

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Are there any differences in the credits between that and the PDF credits (if you have the time to check)?

Harry Seaward
03-10-2013, 03:38 AM
Are there any differences in the credits between that and the PDF credits (if you have the time to check)?

My CD doesn't contain the line "We fade away" co-written/performed with Alessandro cortini and the PDF doesn't contain Columbiarecords.com at the bottom. Only two differences I spotted.

Here (http://i.imgur.com/fQtEGPR.jpg) is the full resolution of the CD credits if you want to double-check.

downward
03-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Still no CD in the mail yet!!!! I hate pre-orders that don't arrive on time...I guess I should've ordered from Amazon instead of HDTA site?

witte
03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
The white disk album is awesome.
And...'How Long' makes me cheerful!

BenAkenobi
03-10-2013, 09:11 AM
So there are male vox in "The wake up" towards the end (Anybody! Anybody!) which didn't give me impression of Trent's :)
it doesn't matter, however, 'cause female vox in same track gave me impression of Britney Spears' :D

jessamineny
03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Still no CD in the mail yet!!!! I hate pre-orders that don't arrive on time...I guess I should've ordered from Amazon instead of HDTA site?

Did you order vinyl at the same time, too? If so, your CD won't go out until the vinyl does.

I preordered from Amazon and it still took them until Friday to mail it out.

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodfGYBCsAhj6ATIIAW9oVqGN030

There's a wide one too that I saw but forgot to grab, and no tall one seen yet

Thank you, it's appreciated.
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodfvigEQ2AUYWjIIU1l5OU2s5dE
found the banner

edit: for some reason, the tall banner is not animated, straight picture http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/17086999798202615849

talkingnothing
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I preordered from Amazon and it still took them until Friday to mail it out.

oh, that's crummy. my amazon preorder arrived on tuesday. wonder what happened with your order. I probably would have preferred the download from htda site to the rip of the cd, as it came with pdf and album art the way it was intended within the mp3, but I thought i had a better chance to get it on tuesday from amazon.

also, if anybody could point me in the direction of a rip of the white label, that'd be super cool.

jmtd
03-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks, I was very keen to see the physical packaging before I decided on a purchase option.

Swykk
03-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Id like them as well. Please and thank you!

Camille
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodfvigEQ2AUYWjIIU1l5OU2s5dE
found the banner

edit: for some reason, the tall banner is not animated, straight picture http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/17086999798202615849

That's what I was looking for. Thanks again sheepdean.

jessamineny
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
oh, that's crummy. my amazon preorder arrived on tuesday. wonder what happened with your order.

Super Saver Shipping. (And I assume purposefully, and shittily, delaying the order to prod me to re-up my Prime.)

malchick
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Today I noticed at the end of We Fade Away what sounds like beard scratching. I like when they include accidents in their songs, like the cough in The sleep of dreams produces monsters or the double take in Discipline.
Also, does anyone know what the sound in Hallowed Ground could be at around 3:96? It sounds either like someone grabbing a microphone or a roll of thunder.

xmp3x
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
3:96? hahah

my voice just
03-10-2013, 10:55 PM
It sounds either like someone grabbing a microphone or a roll of thunder.
it`s just a VERY LOUD beard scratching

Amnesiac
03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Today I noticed at the end of We Fade Away what sounds like beard scratching. I like when they include accidents in their songs, like the cough in The sleep of dreams produces monsters or the double take in Discipline.
Also, does anyone know what the sound in Hallowed Ground could be at around 3:96? It sounds either like someone grabbing a microphone or a roll of thunder.

I've no idea how to get to "3:96", but yeah, I think there's some thunder in there.

Also,
The sleep of dreams produces monsters made me chuckle. It's OK, though. Mind altering recreations can sometimes help keep a person sane. Not that I'd know anything about such things, of course.

malchick
03-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Fuck. This is what happens when you lose an hour of sleep and try to do count time by subtraction. Lets try that again: 3:56

konkelo
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
My HTDA account still shows that my order is "processing" :( Shouldn't it have been so that they would get the first batch of the vinyls?

jmtd
03-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Vinyl release photos for those who are interested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.25.54.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.26.03.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.15.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.25.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.31.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.40.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.47.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.27.54.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916995/welcome oblivion_/2013-03-11 13.28.02.jpg

EDIT: better link/gallery

http://imgur.com/a/Aadge#0

Amnesiac
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Fuck. This is what happens when you lose an hour of sleep and try to do count time by subtraction. Lets try that again: 3:56

Yeah, it's definitely thunder, and then rain, it sounds like.

staleincense
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I've no idea how to get to "3:96", but yeah, I think there's some thunder in there.
4:36, perhaps?

witte
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Please buy a decent stereo amp with good speakers.

gorast
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/Somedude179/IMG_0501.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/Somedude179/IMG_0501.jpg

My non-bundled shirt finally got in today. Looks like I'll be waiting until nearly April to see the other shirt, the CD, and the vinyl, judging by how long it took for this shirt to get here.

jessamineny
03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
My HTDA account still shows that my order is "processing" :( Shouldn't it have been so that they would get the first batch of the vinyls?

htda@modlife.com

gorast
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Keep in mind that the projected release date for the U.S. vinyls is March 19, which we're still over a week out from. The store will hopefully get their first batch sometime this week, as they're guaranteed the first shipment. The EU vinyls were made by a different company, hence why they were released on time.

jessamineny
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Konkelo lives in Finland :)

gorast
03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Konkelo lives in Finland :)
You know, you'd think I'd check before being a dumbass.

That or I was projecting my frustrations about now having the vinyl yet.

arsenic
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
so, Cortini is joining HTDA for the live band

https://twitter.com/destroyangels/status/311211944990343169

gorast
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Posted that in the live topic for good measure. That's probably so Rob can focus on visual stuff on-stage instead of having to man a synth.

becomingtom
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
There weren't any lyrics in the digital download right? Or am I just not seeing them?

eversonpoe
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM
There weren't any lyrics in the digital download right? Or am I just not seeing them?

they're embedded in the tracks.

becomingtom
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
they're embedded in the tracks.

So I know I'm going to look like an idiot here but.....how do you get to them?

gorast
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
So I know I'm going to look like an idiot here but.....how do you get to them?
If you're using iTunes, right-click, click "Get Info" and go to the lyrics tab. If not, then I guess just pull them up on NINWiki because there's no other (easy) way to get to them that I can think of right now.

becomingtom
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
If you're using iTunes, right-click, click "Get Info" and go to the lyrics tab. If not, then I guess just pull them up on NINWiki because there's no other (easy) way to get to them that I can think of right now.

I am using iTunes, thanks for the info!

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 05:33 AM
If anyone bought through iTunes or any other site providing the "bonus tracks", is EP1 mixed differently to fit the album better, or is it exactly the same?

Scarlet Siren
03-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Has anyone's Amazon orders dispatched yet?

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 07:59 AM
found the banner

I found the tall banner (the other one must be an alt, or for pages that don't use flash ads)

There seems to be cool glitchy stuff within it that doesn't show up on the webpage (only stuff inside the white lines shows up if you don't grab the ad's direct link). I love that Rob puts in that extra detail.

So the full list of flash ads is:
Box: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodfGYBCsAhj6ATIIAW9oVqGN030
Wide banner: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodfvigEQ2AUYWjIIU1l5OU2s5dE
Tall banner: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgIDQodeFRBCgARjYBDIICoZG5o9ME-w

And if anyone can rip those and extract just the images, that'd be neat I guess.
( Camille )

unheard78
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I may have missed something, but has anyone received an e-mail or anything about the US release of the vinyl? I haven't got anything regarding my pre-order and I just spoke with a local indie shop that said they're expecting copies next Tuesday. That's cool and all, but I'm a little pissed if the people who ordered through the site don't get theirs first.

Pre-orders, they kind-of suck, apart from the fact you and the band know they're getting paid.

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I asked Rob a couple days back, basically there's 2 vinyl runs: America and worldwide. Worldwide didn't have the defect so they're already out, America did. Some stores in the US might've bought Worldwide copies if they were cheaper or w/e, which is why they already have them.

unheard78
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
It's just ridiculous that it should come to this. In all honesty, how many are satisfied with their pre-orders in general? I'm not just talking about Trent and company either. I pre-ordered the ultra-deluxe El-P/Killer Mike vinyl set and they delayed my shipment several times, at one point telling me it cost more to mail it because of unforeseen packaging costs, only to find they shipped it Media Mail after I paid three times that for shipping. When I pre-ordered the Autolux deluxe package I wasn't informed when my package was delayed or when it would be delayed until. I ended up calling the label who got me in touch with the owner of the subsidiary handling distribution and after complaining several times they gave me a complete refund and allowed me to keep the order, but in the end it wasn't the money I wanted back. It's also worth noting that the download provided with the order, which was processed by TopSpin, had pops and clicks all over it.

I know the artists don't have much to do with these problems. They make the music and sign deals with companies that handle the distribution and mail-order. I'm sure they try to align themselves with the most reputable organizations possible so their fans will be satisfied. Furthermore, it's probably a lot easier to send out products that are in stock than pre-order items. But it's still downright offensive how we pay our hard-earned money only to find our orders floating in limbo with little explanation from the parties handling them. It's great that Rob, Trent and whomever are involved, but when the company handling the business is supposed to rectify these issues, as they're the ones getting paid for such events, the artist shouldn't have to get involved.

By the way, for the record, the best pre-order service I ever received was from an indie named Acephale, and the order was still messed up! I never received my package and was in contact with the label owner directly. He insisted it had went out and didn't know why it hadn't arrived, but he saved the day by overnighting me a new package via FedEx and stuck a bonus disc in with it. The original order never arrived, but they were pure class about it nonetheless.

jessamineny
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I finally received an update from Modlife about the vinyl delay on March 4, confirming what we here already knew -- that it was delayed until the 19th. Check the e-mail account associated with your HTDA account (and if it's not there, check the spam folder).

unheard78
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I finally received an update from Modlife about the vinyl delay on March 4, confirming what we here already knew -- that it was delayed until the 19th. Check the e-mail account associated with your HTDA account (and if it's not there, check the spam folder).

I received that e-mail too, sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm just expecting something else from them, some kind of update about the status since they said website pre-orders would be fulfilled first.

gorast
03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Well, they probably don't have anything else to tell us. American vinyl is still being produced to meet demand, we're still a week out from the new release date - they have no obligation to tell us about the vinyl until they hit that date again and the shit hasn't shipped out. Trust me, I'm as irritated as you are - my CD and the shirt I'd originally wanted are stuck with the vinyl - but it would be pointless for the manufacturer to push out the same update about the vinyl over and over again until they're out.

Camille
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
I try to avoid pre-order from any artist, not just HTDA/NIN/whatever. I don't think I have ever made a pre order from anyone that has arrived on time. You pre order something before it's released, then you are still sitting like a spare prick a week later waiting on it while the rest of the world just nipped into a record shop and bought it there on the day of release.
Pre-order has it's uses, I suppose it's useful for people who can't otherwise get to an actual shop, or if something is only available from a pre order, but that is the only reason I would use one again. This of course is just my experience, I know plenty of people who use pre-order and they have no problems and receive their product when promised.

gorast
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
The preorder for David Byrne and St. Vincent's Love This Giant got to me on time. An Omen was only a day late, too.

I don't know, I just like having that guarantee (more or less) that it'll get to you eventually. And besides, in this case, it's not the fault of the preorder - the damn thing hasn't even come out yet in America, which is the manufacturer's fault, not Modlife's, and I probably wouldn't spend the money to import it. So whatever.

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
As EP1 sold out and An Omen came with Secret Free Vinyl™, pre ordering WO made sense to me. Basically the only purpose is to put money in the artist/label's pocket pre-release, and to encourage sales in a wider time frame. The word "preorder" is in itself a tautology as all orders are preorders (you don't order something after you get it after all).

Communication is they key in things like this though, if there were exact reasons for issues, a more detailed timeline etc, then it'd be less irritating.

jessamineny
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
But what exactly is the irritation in this case, besides the fact they waited until the last minute to send out that e-mail on the 4th? It's only been a week, and it's not the 19th yet.

sheepdean
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Lack of communication and the fact that, if we weren't a community, loads of people wouldn't even know about the delay, as many of us I'm sure don't use the same email account for transactions as for general use #paranoia

unheard78
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
All of you make great points, though I'd say the best summary of our collective frustration is a combination of what Final Destiny and sheepdean wrote, which is it's not something that's in their control and they're trying to rectify it, but as we paid them for something that wasn't officially announced as an issue until the last minute, it would be appreciated if we could get further details about what's happening. I'd intended from the beginning to buy the album on CD and vinyl but only pre-ordered the vinyl as I knew I'd likely get the CD a few days early care of a friendly retailer. I feel really bad for anyone that ordered the CD and vinyl from the official site as they're waiting for their whole order, and it also burns since we've been waiting for our bonus tracks while the rest of the world already has them. And I haven't even mentioned the so-called 24/96 audio. I suppose anything can happen in situations like these, but it just feels like Sony dropped the ball on the vinyl pressing and someone else... did something... with the download. Sorry, I don't know who to blame for that one.

jmtd
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
And I haven't even mentioned the so-called 24/96 audio. I suppose anything can happen in situations like these, but it just feels like Sony dropped the ball on the vinyl pressing and someone else... did something... with the download. Sorry, I don't know who to blame for that one.

To try and summarize the 24/96 issues, based on a thread scan. Please let me know if I missed anything:

they put out 24/96 ALAC files that iDevices can't handle
they're really 24/48 that ended up mastered at 96

I'm not surprised they're really 24/48 given what TR said in the first HTDA Q&A, but I am surprised they ended up releasing them in 96 and iDevice-incompatible. Puzzled/wondering whether the "padding" does or should take up negligible space (over 24/48) due to FLAC/ALAC formats compressing emptiness very efficiently.

imail724
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
So are people preferring the cd tracklist or the vinyl? I've been listening to the vinyl tracklist lately, and although I like the bonus tracks, I don't think they necessarily add much to album overall and find the cd tracklist to be much more coherent sounding. I also find Ice age between Atsbts and Wo sounds out of place and makes more sense following Wo and leading into Otw. Anyone prefer the vinyl sequencing?

unheard78
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
I like Welcome Oblivion being moved to after Ice Age on the vinyl, but the bonus tracks aren't that big a deal. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad or anything, but they're certainly not essential. I guess it's like The Fragile in the sense that the various bonus tracks issued in different formats don't really affect or change the album.

butter_hole
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
To try and summarize the 24/96 issues, based on a thread scan. Please let me know if I missed anything:

they put out 24/96 ALAC files that iDevices can't handle
they're really 24/48 that ended up mastered at 96

I'm not surprised they're really 24/48 given what TR said in the first HTDA Q&A, but I am surprised they ended up releasing them in 96 and iDevice-incompatible. Puzzled/wondering whether the "padding" does or should take up negligible space (over 24/48) due to FLAC/ALAC formats compressing emptiness very efficiently.
I have a feeling whoever they use for mastering (Brian Gardner still?) outputs everything in 24/96 no matter what, and they put those tracks on the store without converting them. Happened with TSN, TGWTDT, HTDA EPs...

jessamineny
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Lack of communication and the fact that, if we weren't a community, loads of people wouldn't even know about the delay, as many of us I'm sure don't use the same email account for transactions as for general use #paranoia

The HTDA Twitter account announced the vinyl delay on March 1. So did the Facebook page. The HTDA store has been updated to reflect the March 19 delay date. And as for the March 4 e-mail, how else should we expect Modlife to communicate with customers if they're not given a proper e-mail?

Seriously, I'm not sure why that's a lack of communication and what else people could want. (What else are they going to tell you just a week later... Hey, folks -- vinyl is still delayed! Just checking in!)

downward
03-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Well a week after the release date has passed and still no CD, I guess thats why they offer a download ? The kicker is that Jello Biafra announced a new release for his band that would happen on April 2 but if you pre-order the disc they will ship it to you in mid march. Needless to say my Jello Disc showed up on Saturday.....some do it right and it seems Trent does it wrong with pre-orders....live and learn

sheepdean
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I think the band's trying really hard to keep the indie style and going for small distro, but us NIN fans they dragged through with them are clogging up the system. Hopefully Sigil 5 will be released through Columbia distribution - regardless of other issues with labels, they get shit done on time 99.9% of the time.

ItsJustDave
03-13-2013, 07:23 AM
it also burns since we've been waiting for our bonus tracks while the rest of the world already has them.
This was where I was going to make the point that if you were that burnt by not having the bonus tracks, the Internet.

I like Welcome Oblivion being moved to after Ice Age on the vinyl, but the bonus tracks aren't that big a deal. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad or anything, but they're certainly not essential. I guess it's like The Fragile in the sense that the various bonus tracks issued in different formats don't really affect or change the album.
But then before I got a chance to, you did it for me.

Reaps
03-13-2013, 09:51 AM
I guess it's like The Fragile in the sense that the various bonus tracks issued in different formats don't really affect or change the album.

Lol..try telling that to all the folks who used to frequent them bloody ultimate Fragile re-issue threads!

Anyway, I welcome the bonus tracks, at least they carry more substance than say, the two bonus ghost tracks.

Trains
03-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Well a week after the release date has passed and still no CD, I guess thats why they offer a download ? The kicker is that Jello Biafra announced a new release for his band that would happen on April 2 but if you pre-order the disc they will ship it to you in mid march. Needless to say my Jello Disc showed up on Saturday.....some do it right and it seems Trent does it wrong with pre-orders....live and learn

Same. Still waiting and getting pretty annoyed considering I can take the five minute walk into town and pick the thing up in HMV. What's worse is that, via amazon and HMV at least, the album is selling for nearly 4 quid cheaper than what I paid for it via the pre-order. Same thing happened with Ghosts; I ended up getting the CD nearly a month after the release date. Not to be dramatic, but I think it's safe to say I'm done with buying direct from now on.

unheard78
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Okay, you wanna get upset? Just got a call from a friend that owns an indie record store and they just received the US vinyl pressings of WO. What happened to the webstore getting them first? I'm going by there later today and will post a photo to confirm.

Skery
03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I just got mine in the mail. I'm in California. I only ordered the vinyl. I preordered from modlife.

gorast
03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
My order's still processing, but that's a good sign that some are arriving.

konkelo
03-14-2013, 04:16 AM

A little off topic but anyway, good to hear that the Jello Lp's are on the way, I ordered from alternative tentacles as well :)

DVYDRNS
03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Got an email confirmation that my pre order has been shipped. just now.

NIN64
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Got an email confirmation that my pre order has been shipped. just now.

Same here.

LaneSax
03-14-2013, 12:44 PM
got the email too! nice to see it's before the 19th

NIN64
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
I have a link on my order history page that says "Click here to track order" just below my vinyl order. There is no tracking number included in the link. It just sends you to a ups.com tracking page prompting you for a tracking number, but no tracking number in the email. I think modlife needs some quality control. . . Maybe this will end up being like my GWTDT soundtrack order. That one was on my doorstep when I got home from work on the same day that I received the shipping notification email. . .

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Just got my dispatch notification!

kdrcraig
03-14-2013, 03:15 PM
I have a link on my order history page that says "Click here to track order" just below my vinyl order. There is no tracking number included in the link. It just sends you to a ups.com tracking page prompting you for a tracking number, but no tracking number in the email.

Same thing is happening to me. Maybe the tracking number just isn't in UPS' system yet and the link will eventually take us right to it? I know that happens sometimes.

gorast
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Same thing is happening to me. Maybe the tracking number just isn't in UPS' system yet and the link will eventually take us right to it? I know that happens sometimes.
No, the tracking number never shows up, from my experience. Had a shirt ship on release day and never got a tracking number for it. Modlife's links are broken, as usual.

My package shipped today too, finally. It'll probably take another fucking week to get here, though.

jhulud
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Just got my dispatch notification!

Ditto! Psyched to have it in my hands.

Deadpool
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Got shipping confirmation for my vinyl as well! I'm super excited. This is the first physical copy of the band's music I've purchased (which is already making me want to complete the collection in reverse order). Really curious what the flow will be like.

I have a feeling I'll have a new appreciation for the album simply on the basis of playing it on a sound system that isn't my laptop monitors. I've still only gone through the whole album a few times, but that synth line at the end of "Strings and attractors" could go on for days it's so beautiful. Probably my current favorite. I wouldn't mind an extended live version of that song. Also, the vocal production on "Too late, all gone" is just awesome. The alternating between Mariqueen and Trent is masterful.

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Got shipping confirmation for my vinyl as well! I'm super excited. This is the first physical copy of the band's music I've purchased (which is already making me want to complete the collection in reverse order). Really curious what the flow will be like.
Good luck getting the first EP on vinyl - it's out of print and ebay copies are going for $60+

jmtd
03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Good luck getting the first EP on vinyl - it's out of print and ebay copies are going for $60+

Fnrgh I suspect I'll regret skipping that one.

steelnails95
03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Recieved my vinyl. Yes!

Deadpool
03-14-2013, 10:15 PM

I'm not surprised. CD will have to do for now!

trollmanen
03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
With one person in the US getting their preorder, I take it there's no bonus extra in the package?

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM
With one person in the US getting their preorder, I take it there's no bonus extra in the package?
Yes, there's a white label CD of the vinyl. And the joy of knowing you helped support a band directly.

steelnails95
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Yes as i have no way in actually playing the vinyl, i have been waiting for the bonus disk. Worth waiting...

steelnails95
03-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Sadly there is a small crack on my white label CD

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
A crack? I'd take a picture and write to modlife, see if they'll send you a non-broken one

steelnails95
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah not a huge deal as it is not on the Music part, just in the very center... but maybe i should

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm sure one of the crazy people collectors on here would buy an omg!cracked CD off you too.

steelnails95
03-14-2013, 11:40 PM
I just emailed them, shit, i would take a shirt for the inconvenience

butter_hole
03-15-2013, 12:28 AM
I just emailed them, shit, i would take a shirt for the inconvenience
a $30 shirt to make up for the inconvenience (poor thing!) from a tiny superficial crack on your free, bonus CD?

trollmanen
03-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Yes, there's a white label CD of the vinyl. And the joy of knowing you helped support a band directly.

That's not a bonus from the band, those are in every copy of the vinyl, regardless of where you buy it from.

sheepdean
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
That's not a bonus from the band, those are in every copy of the vinyl, regardless of where you buy it from.
It's stilla bonus extra. They said before the preorders were even up that there'd be nothing special extra, so I chose to be facetious.

sheepdean
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
-- How to Destroy Angels: After two EPs, the group's first full-length album,Welcome to Oblivion, bows with 12,000 at No. 30. It also arrives at No. 2 on Dance/Electronic Albums. Their last EP, An Omen, opened with 13,000 on Dec. 1, 2012, but at a lower rank: No. 42.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/chart-alert/1552297/chart-moves-boz-scaggs-returns-colton-dixon-gains-how-to

ecirb
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
FWIW, my vinyl arrived the same day I got the "Shipped" email from modlife.

DVYDRNS
03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
where you located at? i'm in LA. I wonder where they ship out of?

ecirb
03-15-2013, 02:33 PM
where you located at? i'm in LA. I wonder where they ship out of?

Denver, CO

screwdriver
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
-- How to Destroy Angels: After two EPs, the group's first full-length album,Welcome to Oblivion, bows with 12,000 at No. 30. It also arrives at No. 2 on Dance/Electronic Albums. Their last EP, An Omen, opened with 13,000 on Dec. 1, 2012, but at a lower rank: No. 42.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/chart-alert/1552297/chart-moves-boz-scaggs-returns-colton-dixon-gains-how-to

Hm, wonder what accounts for the drop -- more direct sales? does that number include digital?

Deepvoid
03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Hm, wonder what accounts for the drop -- more direct sales? does that number include digital?

Those are only physical sales.

I'm trying to find digital sales but no luck.
Currently #6 on iTunes Electronic album chart.

jhulud
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Well Hell. Received the WO vinyl today and guess what? They shorted me one. I ordered two and they only sent one. D'oh!

Already emailed modlife to hopefully make it up.

Scarlet Siren
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Amazon confirmed I should receive my vinyl copy on Saturday (today if you're in the UK), but since it's being delivered to the office I won't get it until Monday as it's being processed to a business address. Can't freaking wait to get this!

This album has exceed my expectations, it's been playing constantly since I got it on the day of it's release, especially whist I've been working on post-processing photos. Perfect.

unheard78
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Finally got my confirmation e-mail from modlife so I'm expecting to probably get it Tuesday. Perfectly fine, as I'll have two copies now. Great album, just too bad modlife kinda suck.

simonn
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Anyone got a favourite track yet? Mine's We Fade Away. So mellow, and the guitar is so simple but sublime.

BRoswell
03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
My favorite tracks (that weren't already featured on An Omen): And The Sky Began To Scream, How Long?, Strings and Attractors, and We Fade Away.

staleincense
03-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Those are only physical sales.

I'm trying to find digital sales but no luck.
Currently #6 on iTunes Electronic album chart.
Do they really not count digital sales in the year 2013? :/

Vertigo
03-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Do they really not count digital sales in the year 2013? :/

I don't think they count sales direct from HTDA's store either.

One of the big problems with calculating digital sales is that a lot of online retailers don't publish their sales figures. I think that's the case with iTunes.

RJK
03-16-2013, 07:16 AM
I hate to be the one to burst anyone's bubble but the Billboard 200 counts physical and digital sales and has for quite some time.

If it counts modlife sales is a different story. It should since modlife sells cds from other artists but it might not.

So in summary the Billboard 200 number counts iTunes and Amazon Mp3 but may not count modlife.

Deepvoid
03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Wow... I was expecting a higher number then.

Merriweather
03-16-2013, 11:46 AM
My vinyl, which I may never actually listen to showed up this morning.

For the people who are ripping the white label CD to put on their IPods, how are you tagging the album art? Are you replicating the changing artwork, per the official download version, or doing one consistent image for all the tracks?

sheepdean
03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
If you're going to manually add album art, you may aswell go the whole hog, and for the two extra tracks just use a couple of the art variations

screwdriver
03-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I hate to be the one to burst anyone's bubble but the Billboard 200 counts physical and digital sales and has for quite some time.

If it counts modlife sales is a different story. It should since modlife sells cds from other artists but it might not.

So in summary the Billboard 200 number counts iTunes and Amazon Mp3 but may not count modlife.

another interesting question to me is at what point it would count presale figures for items that haven't shipped yet.

RJK
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
another interesting question to me is at what point it would count presale figures for items that haven't shipped yet.

The answer is no. I assume you are talking about the Vinyl. Those sales would count for next week when it is released. If it came out on time they would have counted.

Collin
03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Received my vinyl this morning. Cool packaging but i noticed that they gave me two copies of the white label cd? both of them have the same exact white sleeve and stuff, did all vinyls come with two or am i just lucky?

Warped_Savant
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Received my vinyl this morning. Cool packaging but i noticed that they gave me two copies of the white label cd? both of them have the same exact white sleeve and stuff, did all vinyls come with two or am i just lucky?
You're just lucky.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Am I the only one that think the white label CD just looks really fuckin' smooth? The simplicity of the thing is just beautiful. I almost like it more than the actual CD label.

sheepdean
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
I'd say flog the spare on eBay, for people who might want the 2 extra tracks or whatever

Warped_Savant
03-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I'd be willing to buy the extra disc off of you...

serotoninXxX
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Was the corner of anyone else's vinyl dented a bit, the records are fine, but the case is kinda smashed.

So who else is going to buy the CD, and put the white label in there?

Deadmau5 is in the special thanks section.

Richard^3
03-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Just received my vinyl, no damages. Really enjoying the packaging. Going to listen through a few more times with the extra tracks. Really pleased with everything this album has to offer.

unheard78
03-17-2013, 12:00 AM
It arrived today, so now I've got two copies on vinyl. Only complaint... yes, I have a complaint... is the jackets on both the pre-order and the version I get at retail have wear like they were pressing up against something, digging into them. The spine has some slight damage too. Minor complaints, but still kinda funny.

sheepdean
03-17-2013, 03:12 AM
So from the credits I've seen, Ally isn't mentioned in writing and performance at all, but he was on the credits for the P4K stream. What's up with that.

butter_hole
03-17-2013, 03:30 AM
So from the credits I've seen, Ally isn't mentioned in writing and performance at all, but he was on the credits for the P4K stream. What's up with that.
print version mistakenly left him out, was too late to fix. everything else got changed in time.

sheepdean
03-17-2013, 03:43 AM
You'd think the vinyl, with its delay, would've had time to slip him back on though?

witte
03-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Took this morning to listen to the EU vinyl: everything fine (great sounds) till the last song 'hallowed ground'. Some distortion/scratching. A pity, it's my favorite track.
Anyone the same experience?

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I must've just gotten unlucky. I finally had a chance to sit and listen to the vinyl, and "The Wake-Up," "Keep It Together," and all of side B are skipping like crazy. Starting on side C now, no problems so far. Guess I'll get a hold of Modlife and see what they can do for me.

But other than that, the parts that have been skip-free have sounded great!

butter_hole
03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
You'd think the vinyl, with its delay, would've had time to slip him back on though?

p sure its the actual vinyl itself and not the packaging that got delayed.

PhoenixML
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
My father (60 something) and my wife (30) love Welcome Oblivion!! I am super thrilled!!! They've always enjoy the same music as I do, for the exceptions of "heavier" stuff, like Deftones or NIN.

I think it's their first true Trent Reznor experience and they are loving it. Awesome!!

sheepdean
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I think the author of this review is on some kind of hallucinogen. But, I still like it for some reason. http://providence.thephoenix.com/music/152860-how-to-destroy-angels-welcome-oblivion/

DVYDRNS
03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
hmm i got my vinyl today. but with no liner notes. thats pretty annoying. for example, I dont have this.
http://i.imgur.com/MzxXxrk.jpg

jessamineny
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Did you only get one of the two records?

JamesCmuse
03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
I bought the vinyl and cd yet I'm told 4 items are shipped.. this has never happened to me before.

DVYDRNS
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Did you only get one of the two records?
Got two records but apparently this copy was missing the an extra sheet with all the data on it.

screwdriver
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
If you're going to manually add album art, you may aswell go the whole hog, and for the two extra tracks just use a couple of the art variations

Is there a link to the art in case the more fanatic among us were so inclined?

Merriweather
03-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Is there a link to the art in case the more fanatic among us were so inclined?

I took the included tablet wallpaper files in the digital download version and sized them to 600x600, which is pretty easy to do. Additionally I pulled the images out of the digital booklet and sized those for 600x600. I can try to post those somewhere.

Taking a look at the embedded images in the digital download version, those are all 1500x1500 which explains why the mp3s were so damn big. But maybe they felt like giving those inclined, and obsessive enough, to play with the tagged artwork something to work with.

screwdriver
03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
I took the included tablet wallpaper files in the digital download version and sized them to 600x600, which is pretty easy to do. Additionally I pulled the images out of the digital booklet and sized those for 600x600. I can try to post those somewhere.

Taking a look at the embedded images in the digital download version, those are all 1500x1500 which explains why the mp3s were so damn big. But maybe they felt like giving those inclined, and obsessive enough, to play with the tagged artwork something to work with.

cool, thanks -- I found the art for most of the files elsewhere on the site, but do the extra vinyl tracks (a lot better than I was expecting) have their own unique art as well?

FULLMETAL
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
My vinyl arrived today (I ordered a t-shirt as well) and I'm not thrilled with the packaging & shipping effort. Granted, cracking on the top and bottom outer sleeve and seam busting on the inner sleeve is minor. They should have folded cardboard around the album and then put it in the box so it wouldn't slide around during shipment. Oh well, I'll probably buy a mint version on RSD or when I visit Japan and just eBay this one. I will admit the white label CD is pretty cool.

Merriweather
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
cool, thanks -- I found the art for most of the files elsewhere on the site, but do the extra vinyl tracks (a lot better than I was expecting) have their own unique art as well?

I PMed you a link to the art. For the Vinyl/White Label version, I just tagged the songs with whatever art I felt was appropriate from the digital booklet. I refrained from using the band headshots though because that seemed kind of goofy to me.

screwdriver
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
I PMed you a link to the art. For the Vinyl/White Label version, I just tagged the songs with whatever art I felt was appropriate from the digital booklet. I refrained from using the band headshots though because that seemed kind of goofy to me.

Thanks a ton. You rock.

Amnesiac
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
After listening to the vinyl instrumentals for the 1st time, I have to say that their first impression on me is a positive one.

richardp
03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Got my LP from Amazon today. Ol boys shipped it WELL. It was wrapped up tight in a standard vinyl mailer, and then sealed inside of another giant box loaded with bubble wrap and tissue paper. So, yeah, Amazon will always be awesome.

NIN64
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Question for folks in the US who ordered the vinyl from modlife with the standard shipping ($7.99) option. Who delivered your order; USPS, or UPS?

jmtd
03-19-2013, 06:26 PM
My vinyl, which I may never actually listen to showed up this morning.

For the people who are ripping the white label CD to put on their IPods, how are you tagging the album art? Are you replicating the changing artwork, per the official download version, or doing one consistent image for all the tracks?

I grabbed the embedded art from the digital release, downscaled and converted to JPEG, and put them into the corresponding tracks from the vinyl-issued CD. I swapped ice age and welcome oblivion, and when I hit a vinyl-exclusive track, I re-used the image from the previous track.

Scarlet Siren
03-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Could you hook me up as well? Thanks in advance :)

Soma
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Question for folks in the US who ordered the vinyl from modlife with the standard shipping ($7.99) option. Who delivered your order; USPS, or UPS?

Mine was delivered by UPS.

It was at home waiting for me today :) Finally listened to the whole record, and I'm quite pleased. Not a single scratch or skip, and the packaging is perfect condition.

EDIT: Question: Does anybody know how many vinyl copies were printed?

gorast
03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
It would've been awesome to pick up that signed vinyl that the band hid earlier. I don't want to buy another copy for playing purposes.

Merriweather
03-20-2013, 09:34 AM

Mine was delivered by USPS, although it seems to have made part of the journey with UPS.

PhoenixML
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
What was the rumored track list for this album? I remember a diffrent track order when An Omen EP was just released.

gorast
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
So my package finally got here today, and I was met with a bit of a surprise: Modlife shipped a copy of An omen EP_ to me alongside the things I'd actually ordered.

In hindsight, opening it for playing probably wasn't the brightest idea, but I was excited by the fact that I finally had HTDA that I could listen to on my record player. It also plays like shit. Is this a common thing?

Everything looks nice overall, except the wrap on my WO vinyl is a little broken. Nothing to raise hell about, I guess - just a seam.

Leviathant
03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
In hindsight, opening it for playing probably wasn't the brightest idea

Naw, you did the right thing. Posters are for looking pretty, records are for playing. If you want an investment, get a financial adviser.

jessamineny
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Mine finally arrived today, via USPS. But the jacket has splits on top/bottom and the inner sleeves have splits on every side. :(

eversonpoe
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
mine arrived yesterday and, though it was packed VERY poorly (in a box that is almost the exact size as the record, no packing/padding materials, and the CD just floating around in the box) it seems to be unscathed.

will hopefully be listening tomorrow, and there better not be any scratches...

NIN64
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Got my vinyl today. Must admit that I never really bought into the whole modern music on vinyl thing. Bought this for my collection, and also to support the band. Doug out some old equipment, fired it up... Just wow... This sounds AMAZING even on an old Pioneer deck through a broken Yamaha amp and shitty Sony speakers... I listened to the official (lossless) download dozens of times; this sounds better. Everything I thought I knew is wrong......

butter_hole
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
What was the rumored track list for this album? I remember a diffrent track order when An Omen EP was just released.
afaik it was pretty much the same, bar the first two tracks being switched?

slave2thewage
03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Any of the non-US vinyl preorder people here got theirs yet? I got the "shipped" email last week but haven't heard anything about it yet.

ninperu
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Any of the non-US vinyl preorder people here got theirs yet? I got the "shipped" email last week but haven't heard anything about it yet.

nothing yet here!

JamesCmuse
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm in the same boat! Waiting for Donkey Punch The Night from the Puscifer store, too.

gorast
03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
afaik it was pretty much the same, bar the first two tracks being switched?
1- Keep It Together – 4:25
2- The Wake-Up – 1:42
3- Too Late, All Gone – 6:14
4- We Fade Away – 6:41
5- Recursive Self-Improvement – 6:27
6- Hallowed Ground – 7:14
7- And the Sky Began to Scream – 3:56
8- Ice Age – 6:55
9- On the Wing – 4:52
10- How Long ? – 4:02
11- The Loop Closes – 4:50
12- Strings and Attractors – 4:28

A lot of the album was flipped around. Knowing how the songs sound now, this track list looks pretty dumb and it probably was only briefly considered. The title track is also missing.

Wolfkiller
03-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Poop... haven't had a chance to pop it in a player and test it, but my white label CD has a large crack going right through the inner circle. :(

DVYDRNS
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Modlife is sending me another record, because I didnt get the credit sheet. these guys are the shit.

fwhunnercun
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
the loop closes and hallowed ground both skip badly on my white label cd - quality stuff here.

Merriweather
03-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Hallowed Ground took a loooong time to rip with EAC for my White Label CD. The log file said it was at 91% quality compared to 99-100% for the rest of the tracks, i haven't been able to hear any problems though.