View Full Version : Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

DigitalChaos
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Thom York's web developer is a fucking cunt

KreTafkA
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
i saw it on piratebay

Of course already purchased vinyl and cd version :)

Q-NeilL
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I fixed all tracks. PM for link.

Reznor2112
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Thom York's web developer is a fucking cunt

???
Confused...

BTW, the pirate bay rip seems to be very decent quality. It appears that the files are all named track 1, track 2, etc... but when placed in iTunes, all info shows up correctly ad in order.

Swykk
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Can I get a pm to the DL link? Stuck at work, Pitchfork hates mobile devices, just want to have it when I get home. Please and thank you in advance!

DigitalChaos
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
???
Confused...
It's entirely off-topic. I just needed to say it. I figured it would get buried quickly in this thread.
This monstrosity is what flattened ETS today: http://amok.atomsforpeace.info/

Deacon Blackfire
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I'd appreciate a download PM over yonder as well. Will be pre-ordering the vinyl version, but being able to listen to it without Pitchfork would be lovely.

Amazon lists Welcome Oblivion as 3 discs for the vinyl version, so it's safe to assume that the white label CD of the vinyl comes with every copy?

Canuckle
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
At the risk of sounding righteous; the album hasn't been released yet people.

The Pitchfork stream is meant to be a preview, not an avenue to get the best rip. I understand the eagerness and excitement, and in some cases, frustration that the Pitchfork site doesn't give them what they want. But that's what March 5th is for...

Patience, people, patience.

EDIT: Pre-ordered the LP (696!) and have been told I can't listen to the album until I'm home as the significant other wants to listen to it with me for the first time. The pains of coverting others to TRez-heads...

kdrcraig
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Amazon lists Welcome Oblivion as 3 discs for the vinyl version, so it's safe to assume that the white label CD of the vinyl comes with every copy?

If you look at the tracklisting on Amazon disc 3 definitely appears to be the CD vinyl version.

Camille
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm having no problems streaming from pitchfork on my laptop or my mobile... just saying.

Album sounds good, i'm not going to bother with a pre-order, i'll just buy it from my local music shop when it's released.

Henrie_Schnee
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
???
Confused...

BTW, the pirate bay rip seems to be very decent quality. It appears that the files are all named track 1, track 2, etc... but when placed in iTunes, all info shows up correctly ad in order.

Edit: Nope, it has issues, too. "We fade away" is fucked up, maybe others too.

Edit:

And again, kinda off topic... the artwork ended up awesome in the new iTunes. I'm a sucker for these things.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130219/nkrxyx7d.jpg

Camille
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
whats the difference between standard mail (7.99$) and standard (22$)... the shipping cost is really a difference

This is what happens to your order if you choose 7.99$ standard mail. http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/MMikeyBee/Gifs/theamazone_sg.gif

hollowsminion
02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Preordered the digital download and I hope the HTDA store downloads still include Apple Lossless. It wasn't listed but I'll be a whiny, spoiled baby if I have to get FLAC and convert it myself! LOL! Nice work and looking forward to having a full and complete work. Hate EP's!!

DigitalChaos
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Indeed. And I don't even think that they're blown up to be 320 kb/s. Plus, they're again tagged as "indie", funny enough. Same happened after the leak of An Omen EP, so my guess is that this is the "official leak" from somewhere within Trents team. OR these label guys really figured it out, finally - people like us, crawling over each other for an early leak are actually the ones who will make up at least 51% of the initial sales.

Edit:

And again, kinda off topic... the artwork ended up awesome in the new iTunes. I'm a sucker for these things.

someone should do a compare through a spectrum analyser or something. See if the audio actually differs from the pitchfork broadcast. My bet is that they just upsampled the pitchfork rip.

Swykk
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I spent about an hour trying different ways to make it play on my iPhone. All I ever got was a white page with a red line in the middle and very small < play and > buttons which when I clicked play did nothing.

theSplinter04
02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Too Late, All Gone sounds like a TGG remix

BRoswell
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
The Pitchfork stream says that all the tracks we've heard already are longer than they previously were, but I honestly couldn't hear a difference. Is Pitchfork just being glitchy (hehe) or are the tracks actually longer?

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm so working extra hours this week just to pre-order the new record and stash some emergency money away for any nearby tour dates. :P

And my boss just texted me saying he knows a place that'll pay me $12 an hour to shovel snow after a huge snow storm coming Thursday. It's meant to be.

Conrad Lienert
02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I fucking love this album!
I can't wait to blast this out of some decent speakers (as opposed to earphones)!

Bravo, HTDA! BRAVO!!!

sheepdean
02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
My brain is melting trying to transcribe TLAG

arsenic
02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
@destroyangels (https://twitter.com/destroyangels)
Additional tour dates are still coming. Just working out some boring last-minute details. Stay tuned...

richardp
02-19-2013, 04:06 PM
So glad I just got my income taxes back. Perfect timing to take a road trip for an HTDA show.

carpenoctem
02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Happy stream day everyone! After yesterday's leak of And The Sky Began To Scream I was not looking forward to having to wait another two weeks (or even one). Dl'ing at the moment, will listen in a few hours and order the LP/CD combo (and I don't even have a record player... that needs to change). I AM SO EXCITED

jrdsctt
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I suppose I would like a pm of the album, without skipping if possible. if anyone would like to help me out. Thank you.

GentlemanLoser
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
The thing is only streaming at 192kbps, listening on your laptop won't make much difference

It seems in a rather scientific way, rumors about high bit rates have been dispelled.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/concluding-the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment.html

Either way, I can say that even 128kbps would sound worse on MY laptop's crappy speakers...

dlb
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
wow, guess Trent should have said: "let the piracy commence..." Jeeesus! :D

R-Dot-Yung
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
VINYL been pre-ordered, this album was a lovely surprise after all the meh

jessamineny
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
From the comments, it seems most people are buying. They just don't want to be/can't be tied to a stream.

REPLICA
02-19-2013, 04:40 PM
This is what happens to your order if you choose 7.99$ standard mail. http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/MMikeyBee/Gifs/theamazone_sg.gif

That's what'll be happening to my copy… I went the cheap route…

dzaver
02-19-2013, 04:41 PM

haha :D don't think that if you pay more your package gets a special treatment. except it says fragile... they have to deliver the item without damage anyway. it's only about the speed they deliver the package and on which plane it gets. the cheapest version gets in queue while the more expensive shipping gets you the item sooner.

DigitalChaos
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I got the $2,650.00 shipping method. Supposedly Trent hand delivers it.
Think he will reattempt delivery if I am not home?

sheepdean
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
It seems in a rather scientific way, rumors about high bit rates have been dispelled.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/concluding-the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment.html

Either way, I can say that even 128kbps would sound worse on MY laptop's crappy speakers...
Oh come on, that's not even a scientific test, where's the control?

dzaver
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Trent waits in front of the door for you. With the package.

frothy_ham
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
If anyone would be kind enough to PM me a link to the skipless version, I would be eternally grateful.

JamesCmuse
02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
This is absolutely brilliant. Did not expect some of the sounds I heard.

shagg_187
02-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I can't hear this over my phone :(

Now I wish they provided mp3 for preordering... Or ETS can!

scorpiusdiamond
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Last.Fm is parsing the album horribly... example (http://www.last.fm/user/scorpiusdiamond)

gorast
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Someone mentioned hidden mp4s a couple pages ago and never elaborated...they're probably the moving visuals included in the stream. If someone already mentioned this, then oops, but just in case anyone was still wondering, here you go.

This album is still awesome. I can't wait for the high-quality downloads; does anyone know if you're allowed to download both file formats with one order?

GentlemanLoser
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Oh come on, that's not even a scientific test, where's the control?
I believe that the CD quality audio and the 128 kbps audio were meant as positive and negative controls. Regardless, I'm just chiding. I've never been able to tell the difference between anything about 192 kbps personally, but then most people who know me say I've burnt out my ears with too much loud music.

Henrie_Schnee
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Someone mentioned hidden mp4s a couple pages ago and never elaborated...they're probably the moving visuals included in the stream. If someone already mentioned this, then oops, but just in case anyone was still wondering, here you go.

This album is still awesome. I can't wait for the high-quality downloads; does anyone know if you're allowed to download both file formats with one order?

I corrected it a few posts later. There are supposedly some animated parts of the digital booklet, but they didn't work for m. I just saw these .mp4s when I flashgot'd the site, and in the anxiety of the moment thought I had discovered something.

gorast
02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Ah, yeah, alright. Sorry, there's been so many posts in this topic in the past few hours that I must've scrolled right by it. I myself noticed them with Fast Video Downloader when I was trying to pull the mp3s from the site.

konkelo
02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
???
Confused...

I checked this one too and to me it sounds like it's entirely in mono? I did a fixed rip to myself from the one which was at the russian site. Can't wait to hear this one in proper quality.

Deepvoid
02-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I checked this one too and to me it sounds like it's entirely in mono? I did a fixed rip to myself from the one which was at the russian site. Can't wait to hear this one in proper quality.

Agree, the TPB version isn't right.

slave2thewage
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Nah, he'll just leave and then call you a "cunt" on the Internet.

jhulud
02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Ordered finally. Listened to the stream on Pitchfork and love it! Looking forward to a proper listen when it arrives.

And interesting breakdown on the shipping I got: $8.99 standard $14.99 3-day $18.99 2-day $26.49 next day. If it's going by UPS, wouldn't standard and 3-day be the same anyways?

jessamineny
02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah, the items already say "Ships for March 5 delivery," so I don't really understand the different delivery costs either. If you order it next-day, do you get it a week early or something? (It's probably just the boilerplate information, and they don't remove it during the pre-orders.)

fortheloveofgod
02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Ugh. We broke Pitchfork. Need more stream.

Pre-ordered

DigitalChaos
02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Nah, he'll just leave and then call you a "cunt" on the Internet.
Hell, I'd pay him good money to to call me a cunt. I'd frame that shit and put it on the wall. Few people have one of Reznor's hand crafted cunts.

reseen_lamenti
02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Think anyone could be kind enough to PM me a link to the skipless version?

Damion
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Swapped out the album version of "Ice age" for the Deadmau remix and things are looking good!

With the exception of the vocal pop adlibs on "How Long" I can't point out much that I don't like now :]

Max Leo
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
I have downloaded 2 versions from TPB, the first one is 150mb and right now there is a new one specifically claiming to be 320kbps, which is 151mb... so which version is the one that is in mono or "wrong" as some of you have said above? I have also downloaded Qneill's version (thanks), which is just 109mb but supposedly skipless, and now I just don't know which one should I listen, I'm going to listen the album for the first time and I just don't know what to do. :confused:

PS: I've just preordered the cd at amazon while buying the second season of Game Of Thrones (bd) for a great price. :D

PS2: I'll just listen to Qneill's version, I trust that it's a good one.

caca
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Add me to the list of people with a raging boner for this album.

The Becoming
02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
The title track Welcome oblivion is just...Gawd!

Wretchedest
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I've been on the fence with HTDA since its inception, and the whole time I've been wondering why... I haven't actually said much about it here.
The production is nice, and the music all and all is very Trent Reznor-y and I've always like most things Trent Reznor.

But I think I realize why this whole thing is a big "MEH" for me. At first I thought it was just Mariqueen, I don't know how to explain my feelings there. I can't say I'm a fan, and it rarely feels like she's singing about anything at all. But my wife was listening to this with me today and she put it so much better than I had.

"This sounds so... safe..." and it's true! This music has no edge at all. Where once Trent was constantly pushing boundaries and innovating and he's at his finest when he's making something new. But everything here is trodden territory and there's no risk involved... The lyrics feel empty..

As I mentioned, it's decent music and pretty well made but it seems quite toothless considering the source.

screwdriver
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I've been on the fence with HTDA since its inception, and the whole time I've been wondering why... I haven't actually said much about it here.
The production is nice, and the music all and all is very Trent Reznor-y and I've always like most things Trent Reznor.

But I think I realize why this whole thing is a big "MEH" for me. At first I thought it was just Mariqueen, I don't know how to explain my feelings there. I can't say I'm a fan, and it rarely feels like she's singing about anything at all. But my wife was listening to this with me today and she put it so much better than I had.

"This sounds so... safe..." and it's true! This music has no edge at all. Where once Trent was constantly pushing boundaries and innovating and he's at his finest when he's making something new. But everything here is trodden territory and there's no risk involved... The lyrics feel empty..

As I mentioned, it's decent music and pretty well made but it seems quite toothless considering the source.

yes, if only she sang about fucking like animals, we could all get on board

this album is fucking killer. the production is unreal -- sort of like what Levi said way earlier, this has just depressed the fuck out of me because why should I even try making music, when nothing I can do would sound this good

carpenoctem
02-19-2013, 10:40 PM
It's pretty different though, you gotta give him that. It's still got his mark on it, but it's a lot more ambient and spacey. I wouldn't confuse this with a NIN album.

Also, agree with screwdriver - the sound is insane and the version I'm listening to is no doubt godawful compared to what I'll have in my hands in two weeks.

BRoswell
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure why Trent has to reinvent the wheel every time he comes out with an album. He's proven himself at this point. I love his music, but there's nothing wrong with something sounding cool, if a little familiar. Welcome Oblivion isn't a game changer. It's just a groovy little album, and at this point that's all I really want from Trent.

Wretchedest
02-19-2013, 10:59 PM

this album is fucking killer. the production is unreal -- sort of like what Levi said way earlier, this has just depressed the fuck out of me because why should I even try making music, when nothing I can do would sound this good

I am absolutely NOT playing down the production, here, but I think lyrical comparisons to closer are insanely unfavorable. You'd only compare those lyrics to these because they were made by the same person.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but it doesn't grab me like most of his other work. It's kind of boring.

gorast
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
You're acting like Trent is some kind of lyrical genius while also assuming that he's writing the lyrics for HTDA. Did you hear the lyrics for Getting Smaller?

Leviathant
02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
You're acting like Trent is some kind of lyrical genius while also assuming that he's writing the lyrics for HTDA. Did you hear the lyrics for Getting Smaller?

What about Not So Pretty Now? Oomf. I mean, hey, they can't all be best in class, right?

I wonder how many tracks on this album even have a guitar. None of them are particularly uptempo. Any live drums anywhere? I'm very glad this doesn't sound like a Nine Inch Nails album - although, in a way, it sounds more like what people who don't listen to Nine Inch Nails probably think Nine Inch Nails sounds like.

I said it in a Facebook comment on someone's post, I'll say it again here. I sincerely hope Trent Reznor continues to make music that pisses Nine Inch Nails fans off.

I'm not really sure where "safe" comes into play - what would daring be? A dubstep album? A double disc of instrumentals? A throwback to early 90s Lords of Acid? Moar yelling and faster beats? Unusual time signatures?

neorev
02-19-2013, 11:39 PM

Agree 100% with ya Wretchedest, on this feeling too safe. I find the album quite boring to be honest. And I was a huge fan of The Space Between and liked the first EP. And only enjoyed On A Wing from the last EP. The production on this new stuff can only take a tune so far. I'm sorry, but I found it repetitive, monotone, and meandering. And I'm tired of Trent & Atticus regurgitating Year Zero sounds over and over again. Sorry to the folks who are enjoying the album, not here to offend or rain on your parade. Just discussing how I, myself, feel toward this release. To each their own. I was hoping for them to surprise me on this album. But it all feels too cold and empty. Not even the music is exciting enough to keep me glued as listening. And I'm into lots of downbeat, more laid back music. And the vocals just feel disposable, no real connection or soul. I find it to be lifeless, machine music.

BenAkenobi
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
RE: And I'm tired of Trent & Atticus regurgitating Year Zero sounds over and over again

I'm betting you haven't listened to YearZero for a while now, and if you return to that album you'd be amuzed how rocky it sounds compared to this one

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
I sincerely hope Trent Reznor continues to make music that pisses Nine Inch Nails fans off.

yep. The album is great, and to be honest, I definitely like it better than any NIN album since The Fragile. If it pisses people off, that might be amusing?

Max Leo
02-19-2013, 11:51 PM
I sincerely think that they shouldn't have released "An Omen" before the LP, with that and "How Long" we already knew like half of the album, and I would have prefered to listen all the songs now for the first time (and I know that nobody forced me to listen the EP, but that's like telling to a heroin addict that nobody has forced him to get a fix XD).

Regarding Trent's lyrics, I think some people are too harsh, he has also written a lot of good stuff imo, and when you can fill arenas with thousands of fans singing along all of your lyrics, maybe you are not such a bad writer after all.

I was the first laughing with the "arms that flip flop flip flop flip" lyrics back in 2005, but then I learned that it was just a tribute to Pere Ubu's "Navvy" (and the music maybe was a tribute to "Planet Of Sound"? XD), so "Getting Smaller" is cool in my book. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKWWqFGBj04

Repeater
02-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Hey, I know I'm far from the only one to ask, but if someone could please pm me the rip without the skips, it would be much appreciated. That's an understatement.

Harry Seaward
02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey, I know I'm far from the only one to ask, but if someone could please pm me the rip without the skips, it would be much appreciated. That's an understatement.

Can I second this? I'm confined solely to a netbook for now so trying to listen to that Pitchfork stream all but makes my CPU burst into flames.

Max Leo
02-20-2013, 12:17 AM
I've sent you both Q-NeilL's link.

Harry Seaward
02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
I've sent you both Q-NeilL's link.

Thanks a lot man. Unfortunately it's not very often that I buy music, but this will definitely be one of the times that I will. Now to sit back and give this baby a listen.

Repeater
02-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Thank you so much. Can't wait to give it a spin.

AgentofChaos
02-20-2013, 01:06 AM
So ya, I fuckin' loved it. Came at me very fresh despite having heard 5 of the tracks and not loving them. It's fun and dirty yet buzzy and hypnotic. So glad we finally got a full length proper record. I hope they are done with EP's for a long time to come. This actually has a narrative and a flow that we hadn't seen from them and maybe weren't even sure existed for them as an entity. Everything is so complimentary. It's really is such a wonderful package of songs.

simonn
02-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Another request for the link to Q-NeiL's torrent here. Cheers in advance.

Maury
02-20-2013, 01:48 AM
This album doesn't piss me off, it just doesn't really do anything for me. I agree with the sentiment that they should've avoided including songs from the EP on the album, I've listened to those songs already and had my fill (which was maybe 4 or 5 listens) and now I just want to skip them. There are a few moments that I found cool but overall I'm not itching to listen to it again. A lot of music that has come out this year so far has really impressed me (Atoms For Peace, Jamie Lidell, Autechre, Matmos, My Bloody Valentine), I wish this were making the list, but it ain't. That said, I think it's a million times better than, say, With Teeth or The Slip.

Furie_Zacharias
02-20-2013, 01:59 AM
I spent some time creating the individual song pages on ninwiki. Any help transcribing the lyrics would be greatly appreciated!

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 02:12 AM
I spent some time creating the individual song pages on ninwiki. Any help transcribing the lyrics would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah sorry, I was doing that but fell asleep.

And Welcome Oblivion might just be the best thing ever.

Also, anyone know if Ally is backing vocals on WFA? Combination of distorted vocals and his pretty high voice means I can't tell

scotty79
02-20-2013, 02:44 AM
could i get a d/l link aswell please, many thanks in advance

Q-NeilL
02-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Youtube playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLniZ5UJg3tIl8Q6Tyw7bxMGFg2pmf5WsO (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLniZ5UJg3tIl8Q6Tyw7bxMGFg2pmf5WsO&feature=edit_ok)

Eddie Diaz
02-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Another request for the link to Q-NeiL's torrent here. Cheers in advance.

Me too, please...

danebraddy
02-20-2013, 04:12 AM
I just finished my first listen - this is great stuff!
Any trepidation I may have had with An Omen (which was little), is gone.
I'd love to see how they are going to do this live - at an outdoor 'rock' festival, I know it will be great, but it's going to be a challenge!
Too Late... is the immediate standout for me.

baudolino
02-20-2013, 05:04 AM
I'll wait for the HD flacs. Any lower quality wouldn't do their efforts justice.

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Which is why the band put it up as a Web stream. :rolleyes:

Henrie_Schnee
02-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Guys, I'm disappointed in you!
ets used to be a place where I could come to feel like a total noob, and now it is filled with people who aren't even able to google "welcome oblivion" in quotations marks and "rar", setting the filters for search results to the last 24 hours?

Hehehe, maybe it's a cultural thing, those of us who actually grew up with old school "illegal" leaks learned the tricks of the trade in a time before a records leak was a carefully crafted & timed PR-method ;)

No offense, just thinking loud.

OH AND BY THE WAY: EVERYBODY HAVING PROBLEMS with the skippy songs (they're everywhere, I tried 3 different rips, none was without problems), TRY THIS OUT: Set the iTunes-starting time for the song to 0:03,66 - that should do the trick. 4 seconds cuts of just a little to much, especially with "How long?"
Enjoy!

Ryan
02-20-2013, 05:33 AM
I'll wait for the HD flacs. Any lower quality wouldn't do their efforts justice.

What do you have the ears of a dog or cat or something?

baudolino
02-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Which is why the band put it up as a Web stream. :rolleyes:

which is most likely why the label forced them to put it up on the buggy pitchfork player (regardless if Rob likes its concept). Anyway they also have to follow the herd in some way.

baudolino
02-20-2013, 05:41 AM
What do you have the ears of a dog or cat or something?

judging their shape: no. But i definitely hear a difference from 320kb to 24bit flac, call me delirious if you like. But even if not i'd prefer the best available resolution simply because the artist intended and paid for it.

and by the way: i did listen to each of the new songs a bit on the stream which brought me to the original statement.

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 05:43 AM
oh, ffs, they're not victims. NIN has streamed an album before official release previously. But this time, HTDA is doing it proactively, before the leak... and doing it at the same time they put up their preorders. It's tactical.

Ryan
02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
judging their shape: no. But i definitely hear a difference from 320kb to 24bit flac, call me delirious if you like. But even if not i'd prefer the best available resolution simply because the artist intended and paid for it.

and by the way: i did listen to each of the new songs a bit on the stream which brought me to the original statement.

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Recursive Self-Improvement - instrumental with layered vocals (La Mer) or song with really hard to hear vocals (Greater Good)?

baudolino
02-20-2013, 05:50 AM
oh, ffs, they're not victims. NIN has streamed an album before official release previously. But this time, HTDA is doing it proactively, before the leak... and doing it at the same time they put up their preorders. It's tactical.

sure, i am aware of that too. though, there would be still other alternatives to achieve that. if they hadn't decided to go with columbia, which they definitely have their reasons for.

edit: but i listen to music because of the sonic experience not because of some high res pictures/vine clips or a questionable compromise of sound and visuals. Anyway, this discussion will hopefully be obsolete soon due to the availability/affordability of high res streams everywhere.

Edit: I am really curious why anyone would defend low/mid res audio streams? especially as a NIN fan...

ZeroisGreg
02-20-2013, 05:53 AM

this album is fucking killer. the production is unreal -- sort of like what Levi said way earlier, this has just depressed the fuck out of me because why should I even try making music, when nothing I can do would sound this goodScrewdriver, why would you reply like this to the comment? I thought it was honest and mature but you came across like an ass.

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 06:53 AM
I sincerely think that they shouldn't have released "An Omen" before the LP, with that and "How Long" we already knew like half of the album, and I would have prefered to listen all the songs now for the first time (and I know that nobody forced me to listen the EP, but that's like telling to a heroin addict that nobody has forced him to get a fix XD).

I actually did manage to wait... I hadn't heard anything except KIT. "Ice Age" sounds nothing like I expected it to. I saw the video and lyrics, which were so dark and haunting, and the melody has such a lilt... the sound is so "bright." Does not compute. But I'm pretty sure I like it.

I can't get on board with "Too Late, All Gone" or "How Long" (but I couldn't stand "With Teeth" at first, either). Q totally reminds me of Peaches in TLAG -- which I like just fine. It's the chorus that grates on me. : /

"Welcome Oblivion" and "The Sky Began to Scream," on the other hand... goddamn.

BenAkenobi
02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
sure, i am aware of that too. though, there would be still other alternatives to achieve that. if they hadn't decided to go with columbia, which they definitely have their reasons for.

edit: but i listen to music because of the sonic experience not because of some high res pictures/vine clips or a questionable compromise of sound and visuals. Anyway, this discussion will hopefully be obsolete soon due to the availability/affordability of high res streams everywhere.

Edit: I am really curious why anyone would defend low/mid res audio streams? especially as a NIN fan...

If the source of music isn't particularly terribly flawed, why bash it?
---
Speaking of which, someone who preordered the vinyl version for its fuller and warmer and otherwise all the way around incredible sound, sell me your CD that's totally inferior in its dead digital worthlessness. Offering ten bucks plus post.

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Hah, if the KIT vinyl is selling for $40+, I bet the "special limited white label CD with bonus tracks!!!!111!!!1!" will be going for twice that

baudolino
02-20-2013, 07:38 AM
If the source of music isn't particularly terribly flawed, why bash it?

Speaking of which, someone who preordered the vinyl version for its fuller and warmer and otherwise all the way around incredible sound, sell me your CD that's totally inferior in its dead digital worthlessness. Offering ten bucks plus post.

sorry. I keep NIN/HTDA CDs out of sheer nostalgia. and basically i just said that i prefer to wait till the flac before i digest that album.

BenAkenobi
02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
sheepdean
you! hush! don't fuel greed

baudolino
i didn't mean you personally

witte
02-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Hah, if the KIT vinyl is selling for $40+, I bet the "special limited white label CD with bonus tracks!!!!111!!!1!" will be going for twice that

who said the white disk will be limited?

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 08:34 AM
I think I smell sarcaism™ in sheepdean's reply

witte
02-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a cold. my nose doesn't work well.

edit: 'hallowed ground' is awesome. so touchy, can't get enough of it...

ninperu
02-20-2013, 08:39 AM
hey guys, i don't know what happened but yesterday i make an order and never recieve a confirmation e-mail and there's no orders in my account... anyone have the same problem?

Amaro
02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Good effort (sort of)...but I'll be stealing only a few songs and be on my way.

Ash512
02-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Best one since Year Zero.

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
hey guys, i don't know what happened but yesterday i make an order and never recieve a confirmation e-mail and there's no orders in my account... anyone have the same problem?
If you had the money taken out of your account, go here: http://modlife.com/htda/contactus
If you didn't, then the payment failed, so try again

Side note: I wonder if they dropped topspin for label reasons or because topspin suxx0rz?

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
modlife also does "fanclub" ticketing. Maybe it was a better deal overall to go with one company for physical distribution and presale ticketing, especially since Live Nation owns musictoday.

Leviathant
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
But i definitely hear a difference from 320kb to 24bit flac, call me delirious if you like. But even if not i'd prefer the best available resolution simply because the artist intended and paid for it.

I can usually make the difference out in things like hihats and cymbals, particularly if I'm listening on Sennheisers. That said, for better or for worse, the majority of my collection is in 320kbps.

ninperu
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
If you had the money taken out of your account, go here: http://modlife.com/htda/contactus

Side note: I wonder if they dropped topspin for label reasons or because topspin suxx0rz?

so, the charge is instantly?

kdrcraig
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
so, the charge is instantly?

Yeah the charge is already pending on my card.

Psyonix.one
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't know if anyone else has made this comparison/observation yet, but I'm kind of thinking this album is a continuation of the Year Zero theme.

If you look at the art work, and the theme of most of the songs, it seems like it could fit. Almost as if this album takes place after the events of Year Zero, and the world is now in a post apocalyptic phase. The video for How Long and some of the lyrics seem to support this as well. Just an idea, not sure if it is intentional or not by the band, or if I'm reading too much into it. Thoughts?

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-20-2013, 10:21 AM

I read that link as "http://modlife.com/htda/concactus." I laughed WAY too hard at the image of a room full of cacti conning people over the internet.

But man, I'm SO glad Welcome Oblivion is streaming (and thus leaked). This and the Django Unchained soundtrack have literally been all I've listened to since yesterday afternoon, and I intend to sit out this impending snow storm with Metal Gear Rising and Welcome Oblivion on my speakers. :P

Bravo, HTDA. Fucking bravo.

staleincense
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
So, I'm listening to the stream now, really liked The wake up. I'm on Welcome oblivion right now, never realized Mariqueen could sing like that.

kenthebear
02-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Wasn't aware they dropped topspin - what's the international shipping like from the new lads? One of the reasons I never bought anything direct from bands who used topspin was they tended to charge almost twice as much to ship the CD as the damn thing itself cost.

Canuckle
02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
This album feels like three acts to me; with what I perceive as fairly distinct changes in sonic moods. I love it. Act I: 1-4, Act II: 5-9, Act II: 10-13

I'm very interested to hear how the additional vinyl tracks and order change the album. Especially going from ATSBTS to Ice Age back to the title track.

(Not to throw the NIN comparison out too much, but this type of album flow is very reminiscent of a NIN album and has Trent's hands all over it)

Corey Bloom
02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe I'm just an idiot but for Pitchfork Advance, the only video that seems to play is an eye opening and closing for a few seconds, and thats only after i click the screen. What am i doing wrong?

staleincense
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Fucking brilliant. So much for actually managing to listen to the album the whole way through without it cutting off in the middle. Seriously, goddamn you TalkTalk.

Canuckle
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Corey (nice name!),

Do you see large white arrows on the lower bottom right and left of the webpage? What browser are you using? A lot of users have had issues with Pitchfork Advance it seems.

DVYDRNS
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Just reporting back that I'm actually listening to this album again today.

wow. I still think its pretty neat. And I talked lots of crap about HTDA.

I'm pleased. and then some.

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Wasn't aware they dropped topspin - what's the international shipping like from the new lads? One of the reasons I never bought anything direct from bands who used topspin was they tended to charge almost twice as much to ship the CD as the damn thing itself cost.
Standard shipping to the UK for the vinyl came out as 2 more than Amazon in total, and as Amazon doesn't come with an instant download of the album on release day, I went for HTDA's store (plus they get more money from the sale of course).

But it is cheaper than previous shipping from the US via Topspin has cost.

Merriweather
02-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Standard shipping to the UK for the vinyl came out as 2 more than Amazon in total, and as Amazon doesn't come with an instant download of the album on release day, I went for HTDA's store (plus they get more money from the sale of course).

But it is cheaper than previous shipping from the US via Topspin has cost.

Does anyone know if Amazon's Auto Rip MP3 program applies to vinyl purchases, or just CDs?

gorast
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Corey (nice name!),

Do you see large white arrows on the lower bottom right and left of the webpage? What browser are you using? A lot of users have had issues with Pitchfork Advance it seems.

That's cause it sort of sucks. I'm glad for a stream of the album, but the system could use a bit of work. Anyone else notice how the visuals gradually shifted to the left until the credits were unreadable because the images weren't all the same size?

Does anyone know if Amazon's Auto Rip MP3 program applies to vinyl purchases, or just CDs?

I don't think AutoRip applies to Welcome oblivion at all. Amazon doesn't have the AutoRip ribbon on either one.

The Reason Being
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Good job with the lyrics on ninwiki, not an easy record to transcribe! I think the line on We Fade Away is "Please I need a little room to breathe"

I really like how Mariqueen sort of reprises her vocal melody from the end of Ice Age at the end of Hallowed Ground. Gives the album a nice sense of closure. That might be my favorite track right now

PhoenixML
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I didn't care much for An Omen EP. Not that I that didn't want to... it just wasn't exciting to me.

Oddly enough, I'm really really happy with Welcome Oblivion. It's a more complete experience!

I know I'm going to make a playlist of "all" 17 tracks. 15 tracks.. pff! Trent ain't going to stop me from putting Speaking in Tongues after The Loop Closes!

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't know if anyone else has made this comparison/observation yet, but I'm kind of thinking this album is a continuation of the Year Zero theme.

If you look at the art work, and the theme of most of the songs, it seems like it could fit. Almost as if this album takes place after the events of Year Zero, and the world is now in a post apocalyptic phase. The video for How Long and some of the lyrics seem to support this as well. Just an idea, not sure if it is intentional or not by the band, or if I'm reading too much into it. Thoughts?

Yes, people have been speculating about this, here and there, for months. I think it's a really natural conclusion. In a lot of places, the sound of this album reminds me of Year Zero as well.

But I honestly don't think TR would engineer the first proper HTDA album to be a successor to Year Zero, which would set up his new band to officially be a side project. I think it's more likely that HTDA may simply be working with themes surrounding the collapse of society and end of times, so there naturally would be crossover in imagery and language.

DigitalChaos
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM

I'm with this guy!
Although, I prefer to skip the encoding and listen to the sound as it comes directly from their mouths and instruments. That's why I only listen to the live bootlegs from RITC. I'll be waiting for HTDA's first live performance before listening to anything.

Bloomy1992
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Corey (nice name!),

Im the same guy haha. I'm using Google Chrome and the only arrows i see are for the tracks.

konstantin
02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
sounds like the kind of music that would inspire someone to study mixing/engineering/mastering

Canuckle
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Im the same guy haha. I'm using Google Chrome and the only arrows i see are for the tracks.

Odd, I'm on Chrome as well. Do you see the scroll bar on the bottom? Can you listen at least?

It's a new platform that has been around a month. Sounds like there are still some bugs out there. I enjoy concept as I hooked up my laptop to my TV and stereo speakers last night to take the album in, but had to manually move the visuals (which I think are supposed to move on their own with the tracks).

To be fair, you aren't missing out on too much if you happen to find the songs elsewhere.

gorny540
02-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow this is quite an album, much improved from the first EP put out a couple years ago. Although they will be brief, I think the live shows for this will be incredible, I'd guess they'd be very similar to when NIN was doing the Year Zero songs in that unconventional format. Not to mention that Trent won't feel any pressure of playing songs to please the NIN crowd, they're literally free to do whatever they want, NYC date please!!!

Max Leo
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Every time Trent has released a new album after YZ, some people have theorized about said albums being connected to YZ somehow. If I remember well, that's what happened with Ghosts and (specially) The Slip, some people see connections even with the soundtracks for Fincher's movies. XD He'll eventually release an album for a Disney movie and we'll see connections to YZ everywhere. XD

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35161650.jpg

jessamineny
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
There were (basically) no lyrics with Ghosts or the soundtracks. How exactly did people connect those to Year Zero, which is a narrative-driven beast?

And people tried to connect The Slip to Year Zero because he released a cover that had a person wearing an AIR patch. You can't blame them exactly.

carpenoctem
02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I love how influential YZ is in his discography. People are still seeing connections to it almost six years on. It was such a great change of sound for him, it's so rare for an artist working this long to get recharged late in his career.

The more I'm listening the more I like. I already have a listening party set up for Saturday night with a friend. Smokes, a home-cooked meal and new Reznor. YESSSS

bgalbraith
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Every time Trent has released a new album after YZ, some people have theorized about said albums being connected to YZ somehow. If I remember well, that's what happened with Ghosts and (specially) The Slip, some people see connections even with the soundtracks for Fincher's movies. XD He'll eventually release an album for a Disney movie and we'll see connections to YZ everywhere. XD

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35161650.jpg

I think this can almost be entirely attributed to the ARG. Everyone got primed to look for secret messages and connections, and it never quite left. It's a testament to Trent and 42 Entertainment just how deep the hooks went in. It was so much fun, who wouldn't want a chance to do it again.

NIN64
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Just ordered the Vinyl version! #1566. . . Is it limited or something?

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
What about Not So Pretty Now? Oomf. I mean, hey, they can't all be best in class, right?

I wonder how many tracks on this album even have a guitar. None of them are particularly uptempo. Any live drums anywhere? I'm very glad this doesn't sound like a Nine Inch Nails album - although, in a way, it sounds more like what people who don't listen to Nine Inch Nails probably think Nine Inch Nails sounds like.

I said it in a Facebook comment on someone's post, I'll say it again here. I sincerely hope Trent Reznor continues to make music that pisses Nine Inch Nails fans off.

I'm not really sure where "safe" comes into play - what would daring be? A dubstep album? A double disc of instrumentals? A throwback to early 90s Lords of Acid? Moar yelling and faster beats? Unusual time signatures?

Selective comparisons aside, i think this is kind of mischaracterization of the camp that's sort of unimpressed with this thing.

Other than the lack of aggression, I think it does sound pretty Nailsy... like a natural evolution of the Year Zero sound. I think he's improved on that lot here. But it's definitely not "pissing off" any fans, except for the guy that keeps shouting during "Hurt." I like a lot of Trent's recent work, especially "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo." I thought he really stepped it up there, so it's not like I'm demanding a sequel to TDS or something.

So when I safe that it feels "safe" I'm saying that it feels within creative space that trent has already covered, maybe not doing enough to distance itself from Nine Inch Nails or other previous projects. It also feels very accessible over all.

The song that most breaks the mold here is "Ice Age," which has a lot going on in a relatively minimal song. It feels a little bit like new ground, and there's a lot of dynamism in it. It carries forward and steps up some of the funk advertised in the first HTDA ep, which seems to have gone away almost entirely. I realize that it's also pretty accessible, but it's a really odd song, especially in the greater context. The double dipping rubs me the wrong way, though.

Anyway I realize I'm in the minority with this, and I'm not really trying to ruin it for anyone, just throwing in my 2 cents.

Leviathant
02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
I appreciate the response, and I hope I'm not coming across as "Your opinion sucks" with a post like that. The "pissed off" fans was more of a reference to Facebookers, rather than ETSers. Just because I wasn't into older HTDA and like this album doesn't mean everyone else has to suddenly like the new album :)

sheepdean
02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Just ordered the Vinyl version! #1566. . . Is it limited or something?
Nah that's just your order number. I was 127, I'm disappointed with myself that it wasn't lower :P

ScreamingSlave
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
could i please get a pm with the link to the no skips proper version :)

Max Leo
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
There were (basically) no lyrics with Ghosts or the soundtracks. How exactly did people connect those to Year Zero, which is a narrative-driven beast?
I'd swear that I remember how some people in nin.com wrote about how some Ghosts tracks sounded like "postapocalyptic soundscapes" and how maybe it was an instrumental continuation to YZ, seriously, this was when "Ghosts" was just released many yeas ago, I can't remember the thread/s where this was discussed, however I've found this (it's not the same stuff, but they talk about a YZ/Ghosts connection):

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,1174499

And I remember all kinds of crazy theories for "Ghosts" and "The Slip", mostly because of YZ's ARG like bgalbraith has said. There were like a billion theories about The Slip's booklet (the symbols, the red line, the "Letting You"/AIR flag, etc...) and lyrics ("Letting You", "Lights In The Sky", "Demon Seed"... all of them had some kind of lyrical connections to YZ somehow).

I'm not saying that these albums are not connected, only Trent could say that, I guess, and a lot of the connections that some fans see are probably based in similar sounds, art designs and lyrics in everything that Trent has released during this 21st century.

If a fan notices the "zeros and ones" lyrics in "Speaking In Tongues", he'll probably think about YZ. The same with "The Beginning Of The End"/"The Beginning Is The End" in "The Loop Closes", or with Rob's glitchy artwork for almost every album (even for the ost ones, look at TSN's artwork), or with the noisy/glitchy sounds and beats produced by the TR/AR duo...

I sincerely hope that NIN's next album is very different to everything that Trent has released these last years, and not because I don't like it, but it might be good if he just took a new different and fresh direction, deeply analyzing his own lyrics to write something really different that nobody could connect to YZ or HTDA, asking Rob to leave the glitchy stuff a little bit or maybe asking him to work with somebody else's work like he did (I believe) with HTDA's first EP or TGWTDT's soundtrack with excellent and different results, and looking for a different new sound once again that is really really different to YZ/The Slip/HTDA (and I'm not saying that all he does lately sounds the same, but the first EP was compared to some of "The Slip" songs and to its sound, and the new LP has that glitchy/noisy/rhythmic sound that is partially similar to YZ's).

PS: I've just remembered how it was also discussed at nin.com how even "Niggy Tardust" could be connected to YZ somehow. XDDD

Reaps
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Pre/Post apocalyptic chunes is what you'll get from now on, be it NIN or HTDA or whatever. The days of arms flip flopping and being stuck in a hole with piss and shit are gone. Least while he's a family man.

Love this album more than i ever thought i would, though it occured to me while i was skipping every track from the 'An Omen' EP, i kinda wish they never released the earlier EP and i got to hear the album as it is in full length for the first time rather than skipping songs that i'd heard a million times.. Still, it's a new album as fresh and vibrant that it has any right to be this far down the line. Awesome.

Multitracks please, remix.nin is badly in need of updating.

gorast
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I just noticed the t-shirts will be delivered next week, ahead of the album, which means I get to wear the KIT artwork on my chest for a full week before the album hits my doorstep. I guess I won't get the Black Mirror shirt until the album is shipped, though, since that's in the first order I made yesterday with the album - small price to pay.

Amnesiac
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Like what I'm hearing, but is there no paypal option for the HTDA store?

steelnails95
02-20-2013, 10:51 PM
I love it! Dont understand why people havent mentioned the title track "Welcome Oblivion" more. My absolute favorite.

steelnails95
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
And is it just me or does Strings and Attractors" remind them of Depeche Mode...?

ecirb
02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
So, sorry if I am late on this, but if you have itunes match, you can get the 256 AAC version by adding the mp3s, add to iCloud, then delete the songs from your library. You will then be able to download the 256 files off iCloud.

gorast
02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Yo, if that actually worked for you, it'd be rad of you to throw me a PM to replace the copies I have now, because I can't figure out how to do that.

Merriweather
02-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Like what I'm hearing, but is there no paypal option for the HTDA store?

I squirreled away 30 bucks in my Paypal account specifically for this and I'm kind of bummed about that too. In between banks at the moment so I don't have a card to put it on.

Substance242
02-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Hello, 1st post, but lurking in here for some time. :-)

I'll wait for the real thing to listen to, not interested in streaming or rips, but - ordering on howtodestroyangels.com, I noticed page where I was supposed to enter my card number was not encrypted. Seriously? Amazon.de then (which says March 1? we'll see).

(yes, there's no PayPal)

BenAkenobi
02-21-2013, 03:21 AM
So, sorry if I am late on this, but if you have itunes match, you can get the 256 AAC version by adding the mp3s, add to iCloud, then delete the songs from your library. You will then be able to download the 256 files off iCloud.

if it's lossy transcode, why bother? i find it hard to believe you have nothing else to listen until release day... keep it fresh ppl, or you might end up like that guy

Reaps (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1358-Sigil-04_-Welcome-oblivion?p=70828#post70828):
skipping every track from the 'An Omen' EP, i kinda wish they never released the earlier EP and i got to hear the album as it is in full length for the first time rather than skipping songs that i'd heard a million times...

katara
02-21-2013, 06:37 AM
if it's lossy transcode, why bother? i find it hard to believe you have nothing else to listen until release day... keep it fresh ppl, or you might end up like that guy
This is why I'm not bothering to listen to either An omen_ or the dodgy album stream until I get the LP in a lossless format, preferably on CD.

Ash512
02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
I love it! Dont understand why people havent mentioned the title track "Welcome Oblivion" more. My absolute favorite.

I'm with you on this one. Welcome oblivion is the standout to me. Very aggressive yet surprisingly catchy.
Recursive self-improvement is the one excess baggage to me... In many ways it has the same function as The loop closes : sort of a stretched out instrumental electro jam, except The loop closes is catchier and shorter/more effective. Hallowed ground is somewhat of an anticlimax as well, kind of like Ripe on The Fragile.

The rest of it, to me is really solid. The 10 first tracks perfectly flow into each other, stellar production as always, great hooks & melodies... It's an extremely coherent album, dare I say Trent's most coherent since TDS. It sounds like the all the experimental work on Ghosts, Social Network and Dragon Tattoo has been channeled into this complex new sound, but served in a more digestable pop format.

simonn
02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
And is it just me or does Strings and Attractors" remind them of Depeche Mode...?

Not sure yet, but Recursive Self-Improvement reminded me of New Gold Dream-era Simple Minds on my one and only listen to date! And I love that album!

Camille
02-21-2013, 07:27 AM
I have listened to the album three times now and I can't get rid of the feeling of being bored with it mid way through. I liked the E.P's, but there does not seem to be anything (yet) from the album that reaches out and grabs me. I don't dislike the songs, they sound good and all, i'm just getting a feeling like I can't be arsed with it.
I'll buy the cd on release day and play it properly on my hi-fi, maybe i'll change my mind about my current feelings.

Ryan
02-21-2013, 07:39 AM
I have listened to the album three times now and I can't get rid of the feeling of being bored with it mid way through. I liked the E.P's, but there does not seem to be anything (yet) from the album that reaches out and grabs me. I don't dislike the songs, they sound good and all, i'm just getting a feeling like I can't be arsed with it.
I'll buy the cd on release day and play it properly on my hi-fi, maybe i'll change my mind about my current feelings.

I'm a bit like that too. Bleeps and bloops with Mariqueen sounding depressed, etc.

ItsJustDave
02-21-2013, 07:47 AM

In my experience, iTunes Match won't match against things that haven't been released yet. Which means it would end up uploading your versions to the cloud. Are you saying it's actually matching and skipping the upload?

DVYDRNS
02-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Already tried that. Match uploaded my versions then re downloaded my version. No 256 version.

UninTY
02-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I love it! Dont understand why people havent mentioned the title track "Welcome Oblivion" more. My absolute favorite. I 100% agree. I can't stop listening to it!

ecirb
02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
In my experience, iTunes Match won't match against things that haven't been released yet. Which means it would end up uploading your versions to the cloud. Are you saying it's actually matching and skipping the upload?

Yes, iTunes apparently already has the 256 version ready. I suppose I failed to mention that I have a different source for the 128 mp3s. I used HiDownload. Here is the Lineage:

Pitchfork Stream > hiDownload > FLV > FLV Extractor > mp3 > Manual tagging of mp3 > iTunes > Add to iCloud > Delete mp3 > Download 256:

http://s18.postimage.org/qjb4xyivr/Capture.jpg

jrdsctt
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Any chance someone has a link to a rip of the album still? I would really appreciate it.

Trains
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Right, this is a little off-topic but I wanted a second opinion. I pre-ordered the CD version of WO from the HTDA store and need to cancel it now (thought I had more in the bank than it turns out I actually do...). I've emailed them twice using the email address stated on the site, asking to cancel my order and so far I've got nothing back. Has anyone had difficulty getting in contact with modlife? I wouldn't mind, but the money is still pending to come out of my account and I'm pretty hard up until next week. Any suggestions, other than to leave it a few days and see if they get in touch?

sheepdean
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Really there's nothing you can do but wait, but I'd read the T&Cs to be sure it doesn't say "all transactions are final"

laz001
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
The stupid thing about people saying its too NIN is that its hard NOT to sound like NIN. Are there any instruments and styles that have NOT been covered by Trent at some point?

Presideo
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
This album feels like three acts to me; with what I perceive as fairly distinct changes in sonic moods. I love it. Act I: 1-4, Act II: 5-9, Act II: 10-13
I thought the same thing: Act: I - The Heavy / Act II - The Pop / Act III - The Experimentation (Side B of Bowie's 'Low' Revisited)

Solid album overall that greatly exceeded my expectations. The only gripe(s) I have is the tracklisting: putting the title-track early in the album felt like if you were to put "The Great Destroyer" earlier in Year Zero - it would have still been a great track, but would lose the impact it commanded near the end. Getting into the heavy stuff early, then following it up with pop-centric tracks felt like a weird move. Also, the last four tracks were pretty anti-climactic - "Recursive Self-Improvement" was completely unneeded and "The Loop Closes" wasn't exactly a welcome follow-up. "Hallowed Ground" was a nice way to end things, but nothing after "We Fade Away" packed much of a punch, and even that song felt redundant.

Tracklisting aside, I really enjoyed the album overall - 7/10. Fav. tracks: And The Sky Began To Scream, Welcome Oblivion, Strings and Attractors

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Right, this is a little off-topic but I wanted a second opinion. I pre-ordered the CD version of WO from the HTDA store and need to cancel it now (thought I had more in the bank than it turns out I actually do...). I've emailed them twice using the email address stated on the site, asking to cancel my order and so far I've got nothing back. Has anyone had difficulty getting in contact with modlife? I wouldn't mind, but the money is still pending to come out of my account and I'm pretty hard up until next week. Any suggestions, other than to leave it a few days and see if they get in touch?

Really there's nothing you can do but wait, but I'd read the T&Cs to be sure it doesn't say "all transactions are final"

You may even get lucky. I've had a few experiences with "all sales are final" where they were willing to cancel a transaction once I explained my situation. Sometimes "all sales are final" seems like it's mainly there to deter people from cancelling transactions left and right. Just try to get in contact with someone by phone or something, however ya can. If they can't help you, at least you tried. It's not like you can lose more money by trying, right?

carpenoctem
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
The structure is great - heavy-hitters first, moving to airy pop, closing out with ambient moodscapes. HTDA have found their focus, and it's (not surprisingly, given half the band's latest film score output) more about creating worlds than songs. They do ambient much better than Reznor does by himself - I'd definitely pick any of the last three tracks over, say, Corona Radiata. I feel like the wait was definitely worth it now and I'm really glad to see the band's original promise being fulfilled here.

simonn
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Hallowed Ground - really has a Social Network vibe to it I think. Really liking nearly all of the album now, apart from Strings and Attractors, which oddly I was most drawn too based on title, but does nothing for me. Very pleased that my previous apathy, having heard Omen EP + How Long, has dissipated. Title track is one of my favourite Reznor songs since The Slip (only bettered by In Motion and Revealed in the Thaw imo).

ecirb
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

It's not lossy transcode, it is the 256 AAC from iTunes. Apple must already have the files ready and waiting. 2 others on the board have confirmed it worked for them as well. So it's lossy from the standpoint it is 256, but it isn't 128 transcoded to 256.

I tried the same thing with Amok by Atoms For Peace to no avail.

sheepdean
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
People really can't wait 13 days for regular quality tracks?

Reznor2112
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Just curious,

What are your opinions of where "Sleep of Reason..." & "Speaking in Tongues" would fit into the track listing?

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
the fuck? This was the first thing I tried when I got a copy of the stream rip (like an hour after pitchfork went live). It didn't work. I must have used a different set of rips than you. :(

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Holy shit, I think it was because my tags were wrong! Looks like it really did work for all but 2 tracks.
thaaaaats going to be a problem for Apple

edit: these are definitely the 256 AAC.

konkelo
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
the fuck? This was the first thing I tried when I got a copy of the stream rip (like an hour after pitchfork went live). It didn't work. I must have used a different set of rips than you. :(

I was thinking that maybe the tracks must be exactly same length than the ones in iTunes?

e: ah,never mind then if you found the solution!

ee: By the way, it would be interesting if someone tried to create a blank mp3 file/files with the right length and then add the correct tags and then try to get the stuff out from iTunes Match :D if that would work then.... :D Or does it do some sort of comparsion with the content of the file?

unheard78
02-21-2013, 06:55 PM
So there is a copy without the skip in Too late, all gone and it's 256 AAC or even a legit 320? Anyone willing to send me a PM, please? As of now, I only have the direct rip from Pitchfork.

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I was thinking that maybe the tracks must be exactly same length than the ones in iTunes?

e: ah,never mind then if you found the solution!

ee: By the way, it would be interesting if someone tried to create a blank mp3 file/files with the right length and then add the correct tags and then try to get the stuff out from iTunes Match :D if that would work then.... :D Or does it do some sort of comparsion with the content of the file?

I was wrong, it wasn't my tags. It was the fact that I had the ones with the additional 4sec "skips" at the front. It looks like iTunes Match works purely on acoustic finger printing (wave form signature).

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
So there is a copy without the skip in Too late, all gone and it's 256 AAC or even a legit 320? Anyone willing to send me a PM, please? As of now, I only have the direct rip from Pitchfork.
All the 256AAC copies from iTunes injects my personal info into the files. I have no idea how to strip that out. I am more interested in the technical hole though. I wouldn't feel right about exposing all this music.

unheard78
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Honestly, no! The stream felt like a tease!

konkelo
02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I was wrong, it wasn't my tags. It was the fact that I had the ones with the additional 4sec "skips" at the front. It looks like iTunes Match works purely on acoustic finger printing (wave form signature).

Ah I see. That makes more sense then.

unheard78
02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
All the 256AAC copies from iTunes injects my personal info into the files. I have no idea how to strip that out. I am more interested in the technical hole though. I wouldn't feel right about exposing all this music.
There is software that will allow you to remove your personal data, though I believe it works on macs only. Nonetheless, it can be done and I can help you if you'd like.

ItsJustDave
02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
There is software that will allow you to remove your personal data, though I believe it works on macs only. Nonetheless, it can be done and I can help you if you'd like.

Oh for fuck's sake people! Consider this your one and only warning.

unheard78
02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh for fuck's sake people! Consider this your one and only warning.

Taken and noted.

Kubrickian
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Could anyone PM me a link to a skipless version of the album? Thanks in advance!

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I was trying to very passively say "let's not liberate this to the internet"
:)

Madmya
02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm digging this stream, wow, didn't expect it to be this good!

Frozen Beach
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I think you're forgetting that we're on a NIN board.

DigitalChaos
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks like Rob and crew are aware of the issue and are working on it. If my Match/iCloud account gets banned I am going to be pissed!

Alexandros
02-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Having listened to it all the way through for the first time (and after multiple listens of the new songs), here's my two cents: Niiiiice! I enjoy all of the tracks, for different reasons each: Some for the atmosphere, some for the aggressiveness, some for the calm melody and some simply because they are fun. The only track that doesn't really do it for me is Recursive Self-Imrovement. Really pleased with the result and it's probably an album I'll be returning to quite often.

andreiuc88
02-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Really love the album myself, listened to the stream 5-6 times. I also can't feel "Recursive self-improvement", it's way too long and boring, it could have been done in 3-4 minutes. 7 minutes of minimal repeating beats is too much for me :D
Other than that, the album is truly awesome! One of the best things I have heard this year! Definitely buying the CD, I have no use for vinyl.

Emil Dorbell
02-22-2013, 07:20 AM
I find this album to be proof of the importance of sequencing. Suddenly I love all the songs of an EP that I couldn't get into before. Isn't that strange?

I've gotta say, I'm so impressed by this album that my obssession with the potential new NIN tour has been cured. At this point I'd almost rather see HTDA live, see where they take this from here. It took two EPs to really nail it down, but they got there. This could be my favorite album in quite some time. Damn impressive!

unheard78
02-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Looks like Rob and crew are aware of the issue and are working on it. If my Match/iCloud account gets banned I am going to be pissed!
I don't see how it could, it's not your fault they added it early. iTunes has done things like this before anyways.

Vertigo
02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I find this album to be proof of the importance of sequencing. Suddenly I love all the songs of an EP that I couldn't get into before. Isn't that strange?
This could be my favorite album in quite some time. Damn impressive!

Same here, on both counts. Ice Age in particular disappointed on An Omen, because its sparse, repetitive sound dominated a large chunk of the EP. On the LP though, it's a link in the chain, and works perfectly in that regard. Generally, while I didn't think much of An Omen at all, I'm absolutely loving Welcome Oblivion. Would have a hard time picking out particular favourite tracks, but they all work together to make an unusual kind of magic.

simonn
02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't know if I've just got a bad rip or it's how the song is meant to be, but Hallowed Grounds single repetitive bass note is far too loud...

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
And the sky began to scream
Too late, all gone

These are my two favorite songs, currently.

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm really fucking bored right now. So, I'm staring at spectrographs of the 256AAC encodes.

The loop closes - I am completely unable to hear the 18kHz line that grows through the end.
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/TLC-20130222-110857.jpg

Too late, all gone - What's up with the 16kHz shelf?
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/TLAG-20130222-111414.jpg

Magtig
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I haven't had any problems with the pitchfork stream, and I've been listening for days. Maybe I screwed it up for everyone else. If so, suck it! Muaaahaha! Er... I mean, I came in here to say that after dozens of plays I'm still digging this album. The only track that doesn't do much for me is Keep It Together.

The unexpected funk of the opening track is really awesome, but I kind of wish they had given it the full Slipping Away treatment (i.e. strong vocal hooks, choruses, etc). Someone else mentioned this, but I'm also a little surprised no one else is going on about Welcome Oblivion. Mariqueen shouting is fucking awesome. I love the 180 she does in going from that to the sweet but still accusatory, "You know what you have done."

Also, does anyone else enjoy hearing the drum rolls in Too Late, All Gone? It's not like they're anything insane, it's just that Trent has so few drum rolls in anything, even when Freese and Grohl are behind the kit.

sheepdean
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm really fucking bored right now. So, I'm staring at spectrographs of the 256AAC encodes.

The loop closes - I am completely unable to hear the 18kHz line that grows through the end.

You're analyzing lossy files, for all we know they were mixed to sound a bit worse just to prevent piracy by audiophiles. Once the album drops officially, do a comparison?

witte
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't know if I've just got a bad rip or it's how the song is meant to be, but Hallowed Grounds single repetitive bass note is far too loud...

You're funny.

For me this song is MAGIC/DOPE!
Use the 'repeat' button.

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
You're analyzing lossy files, for all we know they were mixed to sound a bit worse just to prevent piracy by audiophiles. Once the album drops officially, do a comparison?
Well, the 18kHz line and 16kHz shelf wouldn't be introduced from this specific lossy encode. It wasn't meant to be an official analysis of the final product, just a "huh, wonder why that is?" The web stream has an absolute ceiling of 16hHz. I wanted to see what was above it!

unheard78
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Could one of the files accidentally be a transcode? It seems strange, but I suppose it's possible, unless there is something really different about that track that effects the mastering.

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Could one of the files accidentally be a transcode? It seems strange, but I suppose it's possible, unless there is something really different about that track that effects the mastering.
That would certainly be possible. I was wondering if some of the instruments & samples used in that track were had a limited range.

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Listening to the Too Late, All Gone lyrics...

Stuck on static
Automatic
Turn off tragic
Mother magic

It reminded me of the "mother/magick" headline that mariqueen used to have on her twitter profile.

sheepdean
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Listening to the Too Late, All Gone lyrics...

Stuck on static
Automatic
Turn off tragic
Mother magic

It reminded me of the "mother/magick" headline that mariqueen used to have on her twitter profile.Goddamn I knew I knew it from somewhere.

A little birdy tells me that the CD print of the album doesn't come with lyrics, so I'm praying that either vinyl or CD-J does because some of these lyrics are just wut

unheard78
02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Goddamn I knew I knew it from somewhere.

A little birdy tells me that the CD print of the album doesn't come with lyrics, so I'm praying that either vinyl or CD-J does because some of these lyrics are just wut

Hopefully there will be a PDF like last time or for With Teeth.

sheepdean
02-22-2013, 05:17 PM
There wasn't a PDF last time, not with lyrics on anyway. From what I'm told, the Pitchfork arty stuff is quite simply the booklet from the CD.

Leviathant
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Here's a thought on "Too Late, All Gone" - maybe that track was done and mixed down, and during the period between the album being 'finished' and the album being released, new elements were added to the mixed down version.

DigitalChaos
02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
That would definitely fit the spectrograph!
*listens again*

Beta
02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
so do we know now which HTDA album-track 'the bug' was talking about on this tweet?
https://twitter.com/thebugzoo/status/135046732626132994

sheepdean
02-22-2013, 06:48 PM
so do we know now which HTDA album-track 'the bug' was talking about on this tweet?
https://twitter.com/thebugzoo/status/135046732626132994
Process of elimination, it has to be The Province Of Fear or Unintended Consequences, as we've seen the liner notes for all the other tracks

Cables_and_Wires
02-22-2013, 07:03 PM
I thought it might be "And The Sky Began to Scream" because it kinda sounds like what I imagine TR&AR/ The Bug to sound like

sheepdean
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
It's not. Because we have the liner notes for the CD, and The Bug isn't mentioned at all. It is possible he's not on the vinyl either, but for now we can only assume he must be on the bonus tracks.

gorast
02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
His track might've just been cut. Sometimes collaborations just don't work out.

Dethbryte
02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
I didn't really care for the ep when it came out, but I guess it eventually grew on me because this album is fucking tits.

ZeroisGreg
02-22-2013, 10:20 PM
anyone else enjoy hearing the drum rolls in Too Late, All Gone? I have, and it's an interesting treatment. Reminds of of Tone Loc in a weird way.

thelastdisciple
02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
I had an exchange with The Bug's twitter about the collab.

http://i.imgur.com/kw2W2rx.jpg

Deadpool
02-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Damn, that's a bummer. Thanks for helping clear things up, thelastdisciple!

richardp
02-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Just a heads up to anyone else like me who may have order via Amazon, just got an email saying we won't see our vinyls until March 19th. BOOOOOOO.

sheepdean
02-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Just a heads up to anyone else like me who may have order via Amazon, just got an email saying we won't see our vinyls until March 19th. BOOOOOOO.
Another good reason to get it from htda's site - you'll probably get it first.

jessamineny
02-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Wheee. Kevin sure sounds fun to work with! :rolleyes:

ItsJustDave
02-23-2013, 08:37 AM

I got the same email and it indicated a change in release date.

sheepdean
02-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Wheee. Kevin sure sounds fun to work with! :rolleyes:
He went on to call them flakes for not using his music. Ah well, we got Ally instead :P

BenAkenobi
02-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Kind of let down that 'sandro is listed just as himself, not as Sonoio or Blindoldfreak

richardp
02-23-2013, 09:30 AM

With my Prime account it was worth it to avoid shipping, though. Kind of a win/lose I suppose.

sheepdean
02-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Consider it paying extra to get your lossless/high quality MP3 download on the day, plus more $ to the band

Warped_Savant
02-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Consider it paying extra to get your lossless/high quality MP3 download on the day, plus more $ to the band
I ordered the CD off of Amazon last night, having forgotten that you don't get the download... If I had remembered I would have given it more thought first but still would have gone with Amazon. With shipping it was $20 (USD) off of the HTDA site, $15.32 (CDN) from Amazon.ca (free shipping).

richardp
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

True. I keep telling myself it's not too big of a loss though because I know I would just end up replacing the MP3 downloads with the vinyl version of the album. Plus I'm about to drop asinine amounts of cash on tickets this Wednesday.

Beta
02-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Process of elimination, it has to be The Province Of Fear or Unintended Consequences, as we've seen the liner notes for all the other tracks

yep. i thought so, too... must be one of those 2 bonus tracks.

edit: duh. just saw this: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1358-Sigil-04_-Welcome-oblivion?p=71293#post71293

thelastdisciple
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
$15.32 (CDN) from Amazon.ca (free shipping).
I can't believe it's cheaper to get it off the internet than going in to grab it at HMV, it's freaking $19.99! how is that justified. Arghh........

jessamineny
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
wtf

And it's only $9.99 at Amazon.com. Also, the amazon.ca vinyl price is ridiculous ($53.77)

sheepdean
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
#recordlabels

gorast
02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Wait, none of the vinyls will be shipping out until March 19? Is that what you guys meant on the last page?

Damn. I think that's going to delay my entire package.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/305387472190337024

Hm.

WorzelG
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Loving this - particularly ATSBTS, Strings & Attractors, Too Late. After not liking it at first, How Long has grown on me too. It seems quite 80s to me (which to me is a good thing) Recursive Self Improvement reminds me of the b-side to a Duran Duran single called 'faith in this colour' where the vocals were warped and hidden behind effects, it's getting some flak but I really like it

richardp
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Rob Sheridan's customer support is 50 times better than people who's actual jobs are Customer Support. Dude is always on top of thing.

OSLIN
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I already pre ordered the vinyl, but could someone please PM me a link to full album download? Thanks!

Ryan
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Has the version with the bonus tracks leaked out yet?

richardp
02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Has the version with the bonus tracks leaked out yet?

That won't leak until someone physically is holding the vinyl. So don't get your hopes up until around March 5th.

unheard78
02-23-2013, 04:30 PM
No offense to Trent and crew, but I generally don't pre-order from the official websites. I've just been burned one too many times on physical orders, though everything I've heard otherwise regarding their service has been excellent. Anyway, there is a good indie shop near my home that always gets the vinyl, and that's what I want so I'll be there on March 5th.

ItsJustDave
02-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Now hearing from the label that due to a manufacturing error, the 3/19 date for vinyl might be accurate. UGH. (https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/305561930075107328)

Guess we all wait then.

EDIT: Or maybe not.

I won't know until early in the week if that impacts all inventory (like our store) or just Amazon.. (https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/305562217485590528)

gorast
02-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Damn it. I wonder what the error was.

Deadpool
02-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Nooooo! That's disappointing. I suppose that's what downloads the day of release are for. I still haven't listened to the album: the Pitchfork stream has gaps between tracks, right? If so, I'd rather just wait a bit more. The visuals are kickass, though! Especially that blinking eye. The Pitchfork Advance format definitely seems appropriate for HTDA in particular. I don't think I've seen any other albums they've streamed utilize looped motion graphics.

I'm just hoping this manufacturing error doesn't turn into another Dragon Tattoo deluxe edition fiasco - not saying that the wait wasn't worth it for that, but it was pretty brutal.

gorast
02-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Nooooo! That's disappointing. I suppose that's what downloads the day of release are for. I still haven't listened to the album: the Pitchfork stream has gaps between tracks, right? If so, I'd rather just wait a bit more. The visuals are kickass, though! Especially that blinking eye. The Pitchfork Advance format definitely seems appropriate for HTDA in particular. I don't think I've seen any other albums they've streamed utilize looped motion graphics.

I'm just hoping this manufacturing error doesn't turn into another Dragon Tattoo deluxe edition fiasco - not saying that the wait wasn't worth it for that, but it was pretty brutal.
The impression I got from that disaster was that it wasn't necessarily worth the wait - persistent manufacturing errors, warped vinyls, etc. But whatever.

I'm annoyed because my CD and Black Mirror t-shirt are lumped into the same order as the vinyl and that means they'll probably all be delayed.

thelastdisciple
02-24-2013, 12:53 AM
wtf

And it's only $9.99 at Amazon.com. Also, the amazon.ca vinyl price is ridiculous ($53.77)
Yeah i know! and even a similar thing again with the HMV vinyl!

so amazon.com = $26.70, amazon.ca = $53.77 and hmv.ca (whether in store or otherwise) = $64.99
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!

simonn
02-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Recursive Self Improvement reminds me of the b-side to a Duran Duran single called 'faith in this colour' where the vocals were warped and hidden behind effects, it's getting some flak but I really like it

Good shout, that's spot on, hadn't made that connection! Still see similarities with Simple Minds circa 83 too.

Have also just realised that Too Late, All Gone, is Me, I'm Not re-tooled...that's a good thing btw...

Blackbookpress1984
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
has this leaked for a download anywhere?

blassster
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
The outro of Strings and attractors reminds me of the 56 sec point of AATCHB (or the background melody at 2:48 of The Great Below).

carpenoctem
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Smoked a bowl and listened again today. I found myself completely in awe of Keep It Together where before I was lukewarm. It really is a fantastic mood piece. Too Late, All Gone is also amazing - when I think about the kind of "duet" I wanted to hear from Trent and Q, I didn't expect something this awesome. I think this is Trent's best work of the past five years of his output.

imail724
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I could listen to Too Late, All Gone and Strings and Attractors all day, every day.

Vertigo
02-25-2013, 04:44 AM
I think this is Trent's best work of the past five years of his output.

I think it's the best thing he's worked on since Still. Sounds even better with each listen.

PhoenixML
02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Rob Sheridan's customer support is 50 times better than people who's actual jobs are Customer Support. Dude is always on top of thing.

I'm trying to figure out what is the day to day of Rob. I hope it's not waiting around Trent.

sheepdean
02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
The WO preview on P4K goes down tomorrow, for anyone who wants to archive it

unheard78
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
The WO preview on P4K goes down tomorrow, for anyone who wants to archive it

Grabbed the images and videos the day it went live. It's nice, but knowing there will be much more in the PDF, I'm not terribly concerned about it.

What I'm more concerned about is the potential delay of the vinyl release, though Rob hasn't said anything yet so I'm assuming it may not be as big a problem as we feared.

jjaks
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Japan edition with obi. https://twitter.com/hardlistening/status/306223805678882817

thelastdisciple
02-26-2013, 12:47 AM
I can't believe it's cheaper to get it off the internet than going in to grab it at HMV, it's freaking $19.99! how is that justified. Arghh........
They corrected the price finally!

It is now 12.99 for the CD vers. at HMV not 20 dollars anymore, thank fuck.

sheepdean
02-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Japan edition with obi. https://twitter.com/hardlistening/status/306223805678882817
Ooh I like the Obi's colouring. Any word on if there's anything different for the Japanese pressing?

witte
02-26-2013, 10:47 AM

thanks, key.
i ordered one a couple of days ago.

cd japan says 'the first release is sold out'
what do they mean?

unheard78
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM
thanks, key.
i ordered one a couple of days ago.

cd japan says 'the first release is sold out'
what do they mean?

I believe CDs are pressed in smaller quantities in Japan, but if the first release is sold out, that means they're going to repress it very soon.