PDA

View Full Version : The little things that piss you off

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32

onthewall2983
03-17-2019, 02:33 PM
"cancelled"

I understand the idea of it, but seeing the term thrown around so often is starting to make me roll my eyes.

allegate
03-17-2019, 04:54 PM
add 'cancel culture' to that.

Edo
03-18-2019, 05:25 AM
It will eventually run its course and go away. I hope.

elevenism
03-18-2019, 06:35 AM
@allegate (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1739)r and @onthewall2983 (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=389) , can you guys please explain?
I assume we aren't talking about tv shows/movies being cancelled.

Edit: nevermind, I've got it. And I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Edo
03-19-2019, 07:05 AM
To me it seems like glorified bullying more often than not. I wish Black Mirror would make an episode about it.

Edit: actually, Black Mirror did make an episode about it, in a way. The episode with the killer bees. People on social networks were voting which of the famous people should die next, right? To me, it does seem like a cancel culture brought to an extreme level :D

Edit 2: oh, my first faceplam! Thank you, Sarah :)

Sarah K
03-19-2019, 01:12 PM
This Midwest flooding. It was already a tough season/year for agriculture because it has been so cold, so crops were struggling. And now so many of those crops are just lakes with ice chunks in the middle. By the time everything is cleaned up and ready to be planted, it will be way too late in the season, so some farms will be losing a whole year of income and take huge losses.

It is also calving season, and my brother's place has already lost a ton of calves. They have to basically stay with them 24/7 so they don't lose more.

Get ready for super expensive groceries in a couple of months.

theimage13
03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Fire alarm going off in the hotel.

At 12:05 AM.

For the fourth time on this tour alone.

ickyvicky
03-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Crap!

allegro
03-21-2019, 09:03 PM
This Midwest flooding. It was already a tough season/year for agriculture because it has been so cold, so crops were struggling. And now so many of those crops are just lakes with ice chunks in the middle. By the time everything is cleaned up and ready to be planted, it will be way too late in the season, so some farms will be losing a whole year of income and take huge losses.

It is also calving season, and my brother's place has already lost a ton of calves. They have to basically stay with them 24/7 so they don't lose more.

This is all so awful. My heart really goes out to all Midwest farmers. It's heartbreaking. I'm willing to pay more to help with losses.

eversonpoe
03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
the kitten that i'm taking care of woke me up at THREE AM when she discovered how to turn on the kitchen sink -_-

i guess i'm thankful she started yowling because otherwise i would have slept through the sound of the water, thinking it was a radiator. but like...jeez, dude, it's 3am.

Substance242
03-23-2019, 07:05 AM
I’d had about three White Russians at the time
I drove two blocks to the E.R.

Not nice.

Btw, people, what is "cancelled"?

theimage13
03-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Not nice.

Btw, people, what is "cancelled"?

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/canceled

allegro
03-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Not nice.

Really? Jeez I didn’t want to tell the ENTIRE story here due to drift and size but it was 30 years ago, I had 50 DUIs, did 20 years in prison, I killed a prison guard, got out early for good behavior, became an ordained minister, my life has changed, and I waited several hours that night to drive to the hospital because you can’t call 911 for a burn. Now when I get heroin burns I just Uber to the hospital.

“Cancelled” came from Black Twitter.

eversonpoe
03-24-2019, 05:19 PM
way more big than little...

someone i've known online for nearly a decade (never been super close but have always admired her & her art, and drawn inspiration from her) put up a gofundme today to try to help cover expenses incurred from a rape & subsequent abortion that happened as the result of a date she went on while trying to recover from a failed relationship in which her partner had deceived her and left her in debt.

i donated what little i could at the moment and she already reached out to thank me, but i just keep crying. no one should have to go through something like that. the continued prevelance of sexual assault in our world is abhorrent. i wish there was a way to drill it into the heads of people that you don't just get to take what you want from someone, especially in a sexual context. recovering from sexual assault is sometimes a life-long struggle; and while i'm still dealing with aspects of it 17 years later, i can't even imagine how much worse it would be to have gotten pregnant as a result.

if you feel inclined to donate (https://www.gofundme.com/5q9h5h)

allegro
03-25-2019, 12:48 AM

someone i've known online for nearly a decade (never been super close but have always admired her & her art, and drawn inspiration from her) put up a gofundme today to try to help cover expenses incurred from a rape & subsequent abortion that happened as the result of a date she went on while trying to recover from a failed relationship in which her partner had deceived her and left her in debt.

i donated what little i could at the moment and she already reached out to thank me, but i just keep crying. no one should have to go through something like that. the continued prevelance of sexual assault in our world is abhorrent. i wish there was a way to drill it into the heads of people that you don't just get to take what you want from someone, especially in a sexual context. recovering from sexual assault is sometimes a life-long struggle; and while i'm still dealing with aspects of it 17 years later, i can't even imagine how much worse it would be to have gotten pregnant as a result.

Omg her video made me cry :( God bless her and give her strength, I’m donating.

Haysey_Draws
03-27-2019, 04:41 AM

I couldn't NOT donate, nobody deserves to go through that!

eversonpoe
03-31-2019, 11:08 AM
cross-posted from the heavy music thread

saw Thou on friday night. opening acts were a collaboration between Matchess (who i played a show with a few years back and is amazing) & Talsounds, which was fantastic, and Emma Ruth Rundle who played solo with her electric guitar.

Thou started their set with quieter stuff from Inconsolable and ramped up the volume and intensity as their set went on, which was fantastic. i almost cried while they played because it was so emotionally cathartic.

on the negative side, during the first set break, two dudes who turned out to be proud boys started fucking with me & my friend Alex. they started out just seeming drunk and antagonistic, like they were trying to get a rise out of us. arguing about white people "not being that bad" and "we wanna go talk to that cute-ass girl but she'll think we're predators; we're not predators!" they also asked what we thought of some guy whose name i didn't recognize, and if we thought he was a hero or a villain, "you know, the incel king who shot all those women and then killed himself."

at one point, one of them stopped mid-sentence and asked "wait...are you two gay together?" to which we replied, in unison, with zero hesitation "yes." so then he goes "ok...ok...there's nothing wrong with that. i'm not gonna...just don't turn your back on your race." at that point, Alex kinda lost it and started being combative right back, and eventually got them to leave us alone. my heart was beating so god damn fast and hard, and i felt like i was gonna throw up. i'm so glad that Alex was there with me and is pretty good and handling situations like that, because i'm terrified of what would have happened if i was alone.

but also, like...what fucking show did they think they were at? in total, 6 women played and 5 men, and Thou has pretty far-left politics. why would two sexist white supremacists show up?

Haysey_Draws
04-01-2019, 05:35 AM
Gotta go have an emergency dentist app as my back tooth just started causing me so much pain i can't even swallow!

allegro
04-01-2019, 03:42 PM
but also, like...what fucking show did they think they were at? in total, 6 women played and 5 men, and Thou has pretty far-left politics. why would two sexist white supremacists show up?
My husband G and I were at the Cure show at the UIC Pavilion in June of 2016.

G (a Cure fan since '79-80 and has seen them many many times since 1984) went to the men's room and came out, sat down next to me, seemed kind of disturbed, shaking his head.

I asked him what was wrong.

He said a guy was in the men's room wearing a skirt. And then when that guy in the skirt left, a few guys started LOUDLY poking fun at the guy in the skirt.

Now, considering the Cure's background of having pretty well-rounded non-conformist fans, and considering that MEMBERS OF THE CURE HAVE WORN SKIRTS ON STAGE, poking fun at a guy wearing a skirt at a Cure concert made ZERO sense.

But, we realized - even by the reactions of the crowd to gay couples around us - that the 1980s Cure crowd is nothing like the 2016 Cure crowd.

These crowds now are filled with aggro tourists.

We were at the Nine Inch Nails "Spiral Member Only" Key Club show in March of 2006. We were in the back by the bar, and two big dudes were standing next to us, going over their "plan."

Paraphrasing: "Okay, so, when Nails hits the stage, we're gonna go up there, and we're gonna start fucking people up!"

And that's pretty much what they did.

eversonpoe
04-01-2019, 06:16 PM
My husband G and I were at the Cure show at the UIC Pavilion in June of 2016.

G (a Cure fan since '79-80 and has seen them many many times since 1984) went to the men's room and came out, sat down next to me, seemed kind of disturbed, shaking his head.

I asked him what was wrong.

He said a guy was in the men's room wearing a skirt. And then when that guy in the skirt left, a few guys started LOUDLY poking fun at the guy in the skirt.

Now, considering the Cure's background of having pretty well-rounded non-conformist fans, and considering that MEMBERS OF THE CURE HAVE WORN SKIRTS ON STAGE, poking fun at a guy wearing a skirt at a Cure concert made ZERO sense.

But, we realized - even by the reactions of the crowd to gay couples around us - that the 1980s Cure crowd is nothing like the 2016 Cure crowd.

These crowds now are filled with aggro tourists.

We were at the Nine Inch Nails "Spiral Member Only" Key Club show in March of 2006. We were in the back by the bar, and two big dudes were standing next to us, going over their "plan."

Paraphrasing: "Okay, so, when Nails hits the stage, we're gonna go up there, and we're gonna start fucking people up!"

And that's pretty much what they did.

i will never​ understand the desire to cause other people pain or discomfort. it just doesn't compute to me.

Jinsai
04-07-2019, 12:36 AM
seriously considering contacting my lawyer to deal with some guy on social media who publicly said he was "going to fuck [my] wife."

This is the tip of the iceberg. He's been private messaging her with comments about how she should be into him instead of me, and it gets weirder from there. He's repeatedly assured her he's going to fuck her, with her responding with "FUCK OFF! LEAVE ME ALONE!'

Part of me is like "fuck it he'll just go away," and another part of me is fucking livid and pissed. He even gleefully sent me a message saying "I just called your wife a cunt and you can't do anything about it."
I can afford a lawyer, can you?

ickyvicky
04-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Jinsai Ew! Do you know this guy personally? Does he live near you? Then I would call the cops and place a harassment claim or something.

Haysey_Draws
04-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Personally i'd report him to the cops regardless, that's fucked up and absolutely NOT OK.

Jinsai
04-08-2019, 10:49 AM
@Jinsai (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) Ew! Do you know this guy personally? Does he live near you? Then I would call the cops and place a harassment claim or something.

No, and this is part of the problem with commenting or interacting with public forum posts on Facebook if your profile details aren't completely locked down. I think it disturbed her a lot more than it did me... and at first I thought the opposite was the case. She seemed at first to be like "what a fucking creep!" and unbothered... really, only later did I notice how shaken up she was getting. She's not really interacted much with internet trolls, and so when this guy suddenly was messaging her about his dick etc she freaked out and got REALLY pissed. She still is... but at this point, now that I've captured everything, I'll just report it all and turn in the really disturbing shit to the authorities and join her in blocking the guy.

Demogorgon
04-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that kind of shit is unaccaptable. You and I don't often get along, but harassment of anybody (especially to that degree) seriously pisses me off. Good to hear you took screencaps and are reporting it. Too many people don't even do that and just shrug it off as "oh well, it's the internet, what're ya gonna do?"

Leviathant
04-09-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm honestly not sure where to put this, but I have to share it somewhere, and given the topic, this thread wins the prize.

I've got a Nest camera outside because I live on a busy city street. It's been very helpful in a lot of ways. The other day, the timeline showed someone hanging out in front of the house around 11pm and I scrubbed to it to see the following:

A man and a woman in their 20s with a toddler walk into frame, the couple yelling at each other. Not angrily, this is just how they talk.
The man walks over to the front of my building, directly in front of the camera, oblivious, and starts pissing on my door. His son is watching, and his adult companion is yelling "COME ON". He looks up directly into the camera, and starts walking into his own stream of piss towards a little plot of grass that's not, you know, directly in front of the camera.

As soon as he's done, like, immediately, he turns around, whips out his camera and his girlfriend starts posing. The kid walks from behind him, over the stream of piss that's emptied into the street, and tries to get in the picture, but the woman yells at him.

The man yells something about how he's a man he can do what he wants (in relation to pissing), in response to a question no one asked. He then takes a dick pic with the same camera.

She yells to their friends coming up the street that he just pissed all over the sidewalk.

Friends, it's so trashy I'm embarrassed to share that anywhere else on the internet but here at home, my ETS.

It rained about 15 minutes later, thank baby jesus.

ickyvicky
04-09-2019, 09:34 AM
His social media must be poppin'.

Haysey_Draws
04-09-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm honestly not sure where to put this, but I have to share it somewhere, and given the topic, this thread wins the prize.

I've got a Nest camera outside because I live on a busy city street. It's been very helpful in a lot of ways. The other day, the timeline showed someone hanging out in front of the house around 11pm and I scrubbed to it to see the following:

A man and a woman in their 20s with a toddler walk into frame, the couple yelling at each other. Not angrily, this is just how they talk.
The man walks over to the front of my building, directly in front of the camera, oblivious, and starts pissing on my door. His son is watching, and his adult companion is yelling "COME ON". He looks up directly into the camera, and starts walking into his own stream of piss towards a little plot of grass that's not, you know, directly in front of the camera.

As soon as he's done, like, immediately, he turns around, whips out his camera and his girlfriend starts posing. The kid walks from behind him, over the stream of piss that's emptied into the street, and tries to get in the picture, but the woman yells at him.

The man yells something about how he's a man he can do what he wants (in relation to pissing), in response to a question no one asked. He then takes a dick pic with the same camera.

She yells to their friends coming up the street that he just pissed all over the sidewalk.

Friends, it's so trashy I'm embarrassed to share that anywhere else on the internet but here at home, my ETS.

...well...i have no words!

Demogorgon
04-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Dude, I can empathize with this. Teenage kids walk through the neighborhood and piss just about wherever they feel like it, and a few years back, a van stopped in the road, and a woman climbed out to shit in the street. Passengers in the van and all.

Haysey_Draws
04-10-2019, 02:12 AM
Oh we had something like that. Years back (when Kings Cross had a big prostitution thing...about 8 years ago) on the way to work (about 8am) one of the engineers here saw a lady of the night shitting in the middle of the street...a main road, with busy traffic and all, and she offered her "services" to him as she did it. I think that scared him for life lol

Jinsai
04-10-2019, 01:12 PM
I feel worst for the poor kid being dragged around to watch his dad drunkenly piss on people's doorsteps... I can only imagine

theimage13
04-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Aw piss, I just spent two days in Philly. Totally forgot you live there.

Anyway, did you send this to CPS or anything? Seems like pretty unfit parents if they're drunk to the point of pissing on houses and walking their toddler around in the middle of the night.

JustNoise
04-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Cockroaches in my apartment. I need nuclear bombing I guess

fillow
04-17-2019, 05:00 PM
If only people were as sad or pissed about the decay and destruction of local historical buildings and architectural heritage as they are about Notre Dame...

allegate
04-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Or - to crib a post from twitter - the drinking water in Flint, or several other places where humanity is failing itself.

allegro
04-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Or - to crib a post from twitter - the drinking water in Flint, or several other places where humanity is failing itself.

People and charities and private companies haven’t forgotten about or given up on Flint. The problem is that the Federal and State governments have done NOTHING to FIX the problem that THEY created, and donations isn’t making them fix it. People in Flint STILL can’t take a fucking shower, and millions in donations is going toward BOTTLED drinking water because the state of Michigan stopped providing that last year.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/flint-residents-welcome-nestle-donations-its-ads-not-so-much

So caring about 800 years of history isn’t mutually exclusive from caring about a bunch of ASSHOLES in government who let people die and blamed others; in Flint or Puerto Rico or Yemen. We can do all of it at the same time.

Pillfred
04-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Been living on $400 a month after the bills I have to pay since December. Should get better soon but fuck I need to get out of this vacuum of town and do something before I flip shits. I should have moved out here in December. Missing all the cool shows.

Haysey_Draws
04-23-2019, 02:47 AM
Well Bollocks!

I just spent most of my weekend (and savings) re-doing my place to make more room for my self and displays only for my bloody phone to go "LOL THIS WOULD BE A GREAT TIME FOR ME TO DIE LOLOLOLOL" so now i have no phone AT ALL. It's just a paperweight now, so i've had to spent money i don't have on a cheap phone which does get here til Friday.

...still, means i can miss all the Edngame spoilers...wait MY TICKET WAS ON MY PHONE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

DF118
04-29-2019, 10:14 PM
I can understand that it's difficult leaving a child alone with a babysitter for a time, but if you bring YOUR SCREAMING SHITHEAD TODDLER TO THE CIMENA I WILL FUCKING EAT IT AND SPIT IT'S TEETH OUT IN YOUR FACE.

MrLobster
04-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Anti-vaxxers trying for another round of fame with a movie... (and Goop-happy Gwyneth can fuck right off too).

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-07-2019, 02:29 PM
If you’re selling something online and you just put “Nine Inch Nails” (for example) in the listing and it has nothing to do with your item in any way, fuck you.

poinoup
05-15-2019, 12:32 AM
"Your package has been delivered to your apartment/condo."

Ummmm, there's no package or pick-up slip. Canada Post, you got some 'splaining to do.

elevenism
05-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Check out this charming antivax billboard in Amarillo. https://www.reddit.com/r/antivax/comments/bfxh4g/was_driving_to_work_today_when_i_saw_this/

I actually first became aware of this insanity when I saw this OTHER shit: check it out. It's fairly disturbing, and says AMYGDALA DRUGS CAUSE MASS SHOOTINGS, with pictures of mass shooters. (https://www.reddit.com/r/antivax/comments/bg1p58/another_one_from_a_doctor_in_my_town/)

I noticed a name on the billboards: DrFitt. I did a little research, and this guy is a bit of a local lunatic. He lost his medical license for "treating" a cancer patient by injecting her blood into a cow's udder, and having the woman drink the milk. He also tried to get on a plane in Amarillo, with a glock, and was convicted of threatening, on Facebook, to kill a professor

https://www.amarillo.com/news/2017-01-05/dr-fitt-roby-mitchell-found-guilty-trial-terroristic-threat

Also, what in the fuck are "amygdala drugs?"

Anyway, this dude's website still appears to be up, and I think he must still be hustling "holistic supplements" or some shit around here.

that "mass shooting" billboard shocked the shit out of me.

Jon
05-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Also, what in the fuck are "amygdala drugs?"

Nonsense. Essentially, it could boil down to any drug you've had a positive experience with. Sugar, for example. The one study that I keep finding mentions a trial with cocaine and rats. This DrFittt guys seems to be correlating side effects from anti-depressants to "cravings" or drug addiction, which is regulated by the amygdala and a weakening or bypassing of the prefrontal cortex.

https://neurosciencenews.com/addiction-amygdala-striatum-3739/

A decade ago, both Belin and Everitt, independently, were the first to show that addiction manifests itself differently in different individuals and that, for some, compulsive cocaine-seeking behaviour would continue despite adverse circumstances. In a rat model, around 20% of animals addicted to cocaine still sought the drug despite the risk of receiving mild electric shocks on doing so.

“This was the first time in the field of addiction that the idea of inter-individual differences in vulnerability to compulsive drug seeking was raised,” explains Belin, who is funded by the Wellcome Trust. “With regard to psychiatric disorders, we are not equally vulnerable.”

Drug addiction had largely been regarded as the end point of a progressive loss of control over drug seeking resulting from a failure of part of the brain – the prefrontal cortex – that deals with decision making.

“Certainly, chronic exposure to drugs alters the prefrontal cortex, which governs motivation, inhibitory control and choice. But it also alters an area of the brain called the basolateral amygdala, which is associated with the link between a stimulus and an emotion,” explains Belin.

To explain further he gives the example of choosing to eat a cake or an apple. “The basolateral amygdala stores the pleasurable memories associated with eating the cake, but the prefrontal cortex manipulates this information, helping you to weigh up whether or not you should eat another slice or choose the apple instead. If you eat the slice, regions of the ventral striatum, the structure that processes reward and links emotions to actions, are activated.”

However, Belin and Everitt’s latest research has shown that this is not the only neuronal circuit that underlies cocaine-seeking behaviour.

Using their rat model, they identified a completely new highway that links impulses with habits. This brain circuit links the basolateral amygdala indirectly with the dorsolateral striatum, which is the neural locus of habits.

“Because it doesn’t recruit the prefrontal cortex it doesn’t involve choice,” explains Belin. “It’s a short cut or back door directly to habit. It means that addicts can have internal urges they are not aware of that drive drug seeking. It’s a newly recognised function of this brain circuitry.

“It would explain situations in which individuals who have been abstinent for five years suddenly relapse, telling their counsellor ‘I was walking in the street and I found myself with a glass of wine – and I promise you I didn’t want it.’ This has often been dismissed as ‘weakness of the will’ and then denial. This may also happen, but what our results in rats suggest is that there are occasions in which the stimuli go via motivation straight to the habit part of the brain without an individual even being aware of it.”

Sarah K
05-22-2019, 10:51 AM
That is a common tactic to say that many of the mass shooters were taking or had previously been on psychotropic medications as a way to re-frame the discussion about gun control to one of mental health and/or mental health medications.

But it looks like this guy is just on some "drink this tea to cure your depression" type of shit and does not believe in medicine.

marodi
05-22-2019, 03:49 PM
That bloody commercial: https://youtu.be/XNlrgVHQynE

I have nothing against the dish soap in question, in fact it's the one I buy. Specifically, my problem are my ears. Instead of properly hearing the name of the soap brand, I keep hearing "Donald Trump".

"Save money with Donald Trump"

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say it's a freaking subliminal message.

Jinsai
05-22-2019, 08:41 PM
that anti-vaccine billboard pisses me off, but freedom of speech I guess.... and on that note, the biggest villain here is the company that agreed to put that fucking billboard up. Their greedy choice.

So... FUCK Burkett billboards in Amarillo.

Pillfred
05-25-2019, 01:23 PM
My fucking shark of a landlord who I know has google rating of 1.8 for both her businesses below me for being a money grubbing rude old lady, who btw says she's a proper Christian leaves a note about the upcoming inspection yesterday. In said note she mentions that because it's still been cold I'll have to pay for heat again this month. Now when I moved in it was explained to me that during the MN deep freeze rent goes up 100$ (700 total for a small one bedroom) for heat as it was said to be included. I was okay with this understanding. Coming into fucking June and she still wants me to pay it is madness. Not once in my life have I ever ghosted on a place before but I'm over this bitch fleecing me for money.

First it was my last job honeydicking me now this. I own my choices but fuck. I'm looking into a job even deeper into the backwoods with a possible free room at the same wage. If that doesn't pan out I'm gonna dip out of this town and big city rent/expenses and welfare wages. This bitch has 34 reviews all bad. I knew she was a hustler I had no idea she was a money succubus. People got me consistently fucked up anymore.

Mantra
05-25-2019, 03:08 PM
My fucking shark of a landlord who I know has google rating of 1.8 for both her businesses below me for being a money grubbing rude old lady, who btw says she's a proper Christian leaves a note about the upcoming inspection yesterday. In said note she mentions that because it's still been cold I'll have to pay for heat again this month. Now when I moved in it was explained to me that during the MN deep freeze rent goes up 100$ (700 total for a small one bedroom) for heat as it was said to be included. I was okay with this understanding. Coming into fucking June and she still wants me to pay it is madness. Not once in my life have I ever ghosted on a place before but I'm over this bitch fleecing me for money.

First it was my last job honeydicking me now this. I own my choices but fuck. I'm looking into a job even deeper into the backwoods with a possible free room at the same wage. If that doesn't pan out I'm gonna dip out of this town and big city rent/expenses and welfare wages. This bitch has 34 reviews all bad. I knew she was a hustler I had no idea she was a money succubus. People got me consistently fucked up anymore.

What part of MN are you in? I'm in Minneapolis and it's in the low 70s today. No way should you be getting charged winter heating rates. Who the fuck is running their heat right now? That's just blatant extortion.

Pillfred
05-25-2019, 04:05 PM
What part of MN are you in? I'm in Minneapolis and it's in the low 70s today. No way should you be getting charged winter heating rates. Who the fuck is running their heat right now? That's just blatant extortion.Brainerd. This place is wack. I haven't had my heat on all month. Her building is old as shit and leaks heat from the rooftop. Had a giant icicle this winter. She basically wants me to pay for her shops heat. She's a total savage. One guy up there was trying to move out and ahe told the new guy he owed her money. Which he doesn't. Of all of us there he has his shit together the most. She just doesn't want him to move out.

Sarah K
05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Doesn't necessarily piss me ff, but something that I just find so weird is this country's immediate assumption that everyone who goes to the military does so because they are a PATRIOT, and not because they dangle free college in front of poor kids.

theimage13
05-29-2019, 04:21 AM
Sleep deprivation finally beat out jet lag and allowed me to sleep for 12 damn hours last night...except I spent what I'm pretty sure was the ENTIRE thing dreaming that we were at war with Russia. And not the type of war we're currently at with them; I mean an active bombing campaign between our two countries.

Then I wake up and see this bullshit about Mitch McConnell saying exactly what anyone with a shred of intelligence would have expected him to say, and it actually makes me feel worse than the dream did.

allegate
05-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Doesn't necessarily piss me ff, but something that I just find so weird is this country's immediate assumption that everyone who goes to the military does so because they are a PATRIOT, and not because they dangle free college in front of poor kids.
Or - particularly in my case - a way out of a place with zero prospects. I see the people who didn't leave on Facebook and it's pretty much 95% of them are still there, just eeking out an existence. I mean I'm not ballin' out here but I'm also not stuck in a place that is rapidly being decimated by meth and oxy overuse.

elevenism
05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
I may have mentioned this last year, but I'm still pissed off, and, disturbed, that the cops killed a black kid in my little town last year, and pretty much managed to TOTALLY cover it up. No one would say SHIT. Kid was from out of town, and the car was stolen, but we still have no idea why they shot him. The passenger survived, and I remember seeing him on local news talking about how he didn't understand why they had to SHOOT his brother.
I knew EXACTLY which cop did the killing, too, when I heard about it. I'm friendly with most of the cops here, but there's this ONE asshole cop who seems like he's just itching to shoot somebody. Like, when all that shit went down with my cousin, and they came here to take the report, dude had his hand on his gun the whole time, INSIDE our house.

I know from people around town that he did the killing, but, that's just about ALL we know. They REALLY covered this shit up well.

I found this story from last year. https://www.newschannel10.com/story/37562469/stratford-community-reacts-to-fatal-officer-involved-shooting/

This one has a little video. https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/memphis-man-accused-of-stealing-car-shot-killed-by-police-in-texas/707719164

What pisses me off is that, even after a Texas Ranger investigation, they STILL never said WHY they shot the kid. I mean, if there was a good reason to shoot him, why have they not released it? I HEARD that the kid, after being pulled over, possibly tried to take off driving again. I'm not 100% sure that's true, but, if it is, does that really necessitate KILLING him?

And, yeah, there was hardly any coverage of this event.

ickyvicky
05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
I really don't understand why these cops need to shoot to kill. Why can't they just shoot the person in the leg or something?

Archive_Reports
05-30-2019, 10:54 AM
I really don't understand why these cops need to shoot to kill. Why can't they just shoot the person in the leg or something?

You're trained to shoot to kill. (https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/us/police-deadly-force-georgia-tech/index.html) It''s much easier to hit someone in the torso as opposed to a moving appendage.

Sarah K
05-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Yeah, they are way to quick to jump to lethal measures because they know they can just say I WAS SCARED FOR MY LIFE, and then they are absolved of any wrongdoing instead of investing any effort in attempting to deescalate situations.

Pillfred
05-31-2019, 11:49 PM
This crazy bitch... Wants money for heat this month again. I'm ghosting come july fuck all this bullshit.

elevenism
06-01-2019, 03:32 AM
You're trained to shoot to kill. (https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/us/police-deadly-force-georgia-tech/index.html) It''s much easier to hit someone in the torso as opposed to a moving appendage.
I mean, I wasn't there, but, this dude just freaked out and decided he was gonna run from the cops.
Someone found some more info about this and showed it to me: it turns out that they (the cops) claimed that, when he threw the car into drive, he was "reaching for something."

of course, there was no gun in the car. I doubt he was "reaching for something." These cops never do anything exciting - I mean, 2000 people live here. I think Officer Shootamotherfucker saw his chance for some gunplay, and took it.

A grand jury decided not to press charges, but, there's a big problem with grand juries in texas: they are APPOINTED, by a person appointed by the judge. This county is conservative as fuck, and the people appointed are the "pillar of the community" types, who, inevitably, have ties to law enforcement.
I think this was only gonna go one way, no matter what.

And, yeah- why not get back in the car and chase him, and disable the vehicle later, instead of shooting him?

Now, I wasn't there. Maybe the kid DID appear to be reaching for something, and, maybe the cops were scared. But, I doubt it.

And it should have received more coverage

Archive_Reports
06-01-2019, 06:37 AM
I think a large problem with all of these officer involved shooting is lack of training combined with fear. (And, to be clear, I would also be constantly on edge if I was in law enforcement, but that's part of the reason I'm not in law enforcement.) All of these officers need continuous training on how to attempt to diffuse situations or, when appropriate, use non-lethal force. Lack of budgets don't allow for that. Instead, we get people looking for some sort of power that are too quick to draw.

Space Suicide
06-01-2019, 09:14 AM
My iPhone 7 rear camera is doing that shaking glitch/bug. It makes photos and videos a nightmare to take. I've debated since I've paid this off and being 2 years removed from relevancy if I should buy an X or XR. Decisions...

Either way, I am pissed about this happening from absolutely nothing! I treat my phone like a newborn, there's no reason for the issues.

Substance242
06-01-2019, 12:32 PM
So, there is this local two-day, 80km+, 4km+ annual hike I never finished properly. Took easier route on Sunday twice, gave up almost at the end twice (tired and slowing down others), didn't even start because of strange foot pain, or everyone gave up Sunday because there was strong rain all day. But this year, today, I was prepared, fit, determined. Alarm clock 4:00, let's do this.

Then on the very first mountain I slipped, fell down hard and slided a few meters. Continued 4+ hours in pain, then took a bus from village to x-ray hospital. And yay, I broke my arm! :-) ("tuberculi maji humeri") Okay... this is a new way to fail. Will I ever finish this bloody thing!? ;-)

allegro
06-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Eek Substance242 OUCH! it’ll heal, carry on! :)

allegro
06-01-2019, 12:54 PM
My iPhone 7 rear camera is doing that shaking glitch/bug. It makes photos and videos a nightmare to take. I've debated since I've paid this off and being 2 years removed from relevancy if I should buy an X or XR. Decisions...

Either way, I am pissed about this happening from absolutely nothing! I treat my phone like a newborn, there's no reason for the issues.

Take it to the Apple store, they WERE fixing that for free. It’s repaired by a magnet FWIR.

Edit: Found this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlsl-6CzCi4

Space Suicide
06-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Take it to the Apple store, they WERE fixing that for free. It’s repaired by a magnet FWIR.

Edit: Found this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlsl-6CzCi4

I know but I just bought an XR because it was a long time coming.

CPSmith
06-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Players who throw a Game (http://www.georgerrmartin.com/book-category/) for the sake of higher profits on the other end and then expect the fans not to notice.

Jinsai
06-02-2019, 03:37 PM
the S key on my laptop is fucking up... meaning that I'm discovering this by having to re-read what I'm pretty certain I typed correctly, only to find the S missing, and then having to go through posts and shit (like this one, just now, fixed), and add all the fucking S's.

S's. Fuck.

Swykk
06-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Wish my stomach/abdomen would stop hurting.

I’ve been checked out for nearly everything. Best anyone guesses it’s the neuropathy and pre-existing damage from childhood leukemia treatments.

eversonpoe
06-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I know but I just bought an XR because it was a long time coming.

i'm pretty happy with my XR that i got just before new year's eve, i just wish it was smaller : / the iphone 5 was the perfect size

Space Suicide
06-02-2019, 07:20 PM
i'm pretty happy with my XR that i got just before new year's eve, i just wish it was smaller : / the iphone 5 was the perfect size

I'm not really on the big side for phones but XR is a tad bigger than my standard 7 so I won't mind it. I always avoid the bigger models which is why I never bought any Plus models and chose XR over XS (besides the price point).

Jinsai
06-03-2019, 08:09 PM
I wasted a bunch of time yelling at idiots on Twitter.... doing this sort of thing always makes me feel embarrassed, drained, and stupid... like I just pissed myself publicly or something. It's such a waste of time to talk to people who love Trump. They are fucking insane, or fake people altogether, and something about it is so pointless and lame and frankly terrifying. If these people are real, what in the fuck is wrong with them?

allegro
06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
I wasted a bunch of time yelling at idiots on Twitter.... doing this sort of thing always makes me feel embarrassed, drained, and stupid... like I just pissed myself publicly or something. It's such a waste of time to talk to people who love Trump. They are fucking insane, or fake people altogether, and something about it is so pointless and lame and frankly terrifying. If these people are real, what in the fuck is wrong with them?

You DO really have to watch out for bots on Twitter. They're everywhere, it's nuts. Look at the profile, and look at the account creation date; if it's, like, 2010 and it's mostly retweets with some recent comments, it's probably a bot. Report it, then Twitter looks into it (and actually DOES SOMETHING). I report shit all the time, I recently helped get a pro-life asshole chick's account banned for harassment. I report for harassment, fake accounts, etc.

I find that blocking works better than arguing. Sometimes you can have an "intelligent" discussion, and sometimes you and a group of your Twitter friends can kind of "gang argue" with them (for fun), but actual conversation or debate? It's like arguing with a tree.

I don't know what happened to these people that made them this stupid, but it's truly baffling. They believe that "liberals" (they don't seem to even know what this means other than "it's not me") are "stupid" and "evil" and "ruining the world" and are "socialist" (they don't know what this means, either) and "have no morals."

If you try to talk with them, logically, unemotionally, even as an independent, they're riled-up and full of some kind of conservative caffeine juice, like they've been mainlining Mountain Dew all day and are out looking for a fight. Their profiles all say "Jesus" and "God" and "America" and have flags or red shoes and #MAGA. It's a fucking cult. Trump is their Jesus.

Block block block block block

Jinsai
06-04-2019, 05:05 PM
I know, I've blocked so many people on Twitter... it's just that every now and again, I just have to.

It's funny to click on a Trump tweet and look at the responses, 50% of them are "unavailable because the poster is someone you blocked."

allegro
06-04-2019, 06:15 PM
I know, I've blocked so many people on Twitter... it's just that every now and again, I just have to.

It's funny to click on a Trump tweet and look at the responses, 50% of them are "unavailable because the poster is someone you blocked."

There also has been this HUGE influx, lately, of "This Tweet is unavailable."

And nobody seems to know WHY. It's not because the poster is on our blocked list (that's shows up). Nobody seems to know. Not sure we WANT to know, either.

Jinsai
06-04-2019, 08:17 PM
There also has been this HUGE influx, lately, of "This Tweet is unavailable."

And nobody seems to know WHY. It's not because the poster is on our blocked list (that's shows up). Nobody seems to know. Not sure we WANT to know, either.

I've seen this, along with people responding to these unavailable tweets... glitch in the matrix

elevenism
06-06-2019, 04:17 AM
I wonder if you guys have dealt with this sort of thing: when an old friend "gets Jesus," and all they will talk about is Jesus, and it's like, they're GONE. The person that you knew is GONE. These sort of people- I have a good friend who is a freaking minister, who brings up Jesus like 1/10th as much as these people do.

In my experience, these are usually people who had serious drug problems, and "found jesus" in jail.

This girl I used to chill with keeps coming at me like this, currently, and I swear to god, I don't really know what to say to her. And, keep in mind, I'm a Christian myself.
Also, when I bring up anything having to do with the past, she's like, "oh, yeah, that wasn't really me, because the DEVIL was controlling me, then." I wanna say like, " no, I'm fairly certain that was you. THIS isn't you. You're just regurgitating things you've recently been told, and are no longer thinking independently, like, AT ALL."

I'm not certain, but I THINK that these people have gotten involved in, like, cultish religious groups.

eversonpoe
06-06-2019, 10:14 PM
I wonder if you guys have dealt with this sort of thing: when an old friend "gets Jesus," and all they will talk about is Jesus, and it's like, they're GONE. The person that you knew is GONE. These sort of people- I have a good friend who is a freaking minister, who brings up Jesus like 1/10th as much as these people do.

In my experience, these are usually people who had serious drug problems, and "found jesus" in jail.

This girl I used to chill with keeps coming at me like this, currently, and I swear to god, I don't really know what to say to her. And, keep in mind, I'm a Christian myself.
Also, when I bring up anything having to do with the past, she's like, "oh, yeah, that wasn't really me, because the DEVIL was controlling me, then." I wanna say like, " no, I'm fairly certain that was you. THIS isn't you. You're just regurgitating things you've recently been told, and are no longer thinking independently, like, AT ALL."

I'm not certain, but I THINK that these people have gotten involved in, like, cultish religious groups.

one of my co-workers plays drums in his church's band, and his dad is a minister. he has brought up religion to me exactly 1 time, on my first day, when he told me his dad is a minister.

one of my other co-workers constantly talks about god, jesus, etc. and gets angry at those of us who aren't catholic (?) (he's from puerto rico, almost 60, and has some serious napoleon complex issues among other things). he thinks gay people are "pure evil" and that if you're sick, you should just pray (the mom of the president of the company, who still works there, had breast cancer a couple years ago, and he told her she didn't need a doctor, she just needed to pray). this guy says things about people needing to respect each other in one breath, and in the next brags about threatening to bash someone's head in with a hammer.

allegate
06-06-2019, 10:51 PM
the S key on my laptop is fucking up... meaning that I'm discovering this by having to re-read what I'm pretty certain I typed correctly, only to find the S missing, and then having to go through posts and shit (like this one, just now, fixed), and add all the fucking S's.

S's. Fuck.
There's either a spate of s's not working or I follow you on twitter.

Jinsai
06-08-2019, 12:58 PM
at this very moment, I'm "arguing" with "someone" who loves Trump on Twitter... she's trying to claim that when she typed "Southern boarder" it was autocorrect that screwed it up.

On display: idiots claiming they didn't fuck up because they can't admit they were ever wrong, and they see the idiot they voted for get away with that strategy on a daily basis.

this post is intended to be read in the voice of Rod Serling

M1ke
06-12-2019, 10:08 AM
About a week ago I posted this in the little things that cheer you up thread:

I had been in some financial trouble recently, and I've managed to turn things around.

This month my car decided to break down and it's costing me $1,000. But somehow I've worked myself to a position where a $1,000 unexpected car repair isn't going to make my debts worse. Or even slow down my repayment of my debts. I have money in savings for car repairs that I add to every month, and there's enough there to cover my car repair.

It seems strange to celebrate a car failure, but it feels unreal that it's not going to cause me to go further into debt, and my mind is just spinning here.

It seems absolutely unbelievable somehow. My entire adult life has been spent getting by just barely and hoping that I didn't have a disaster strike to throw me into further debt, and I'm now at a point where I can weather this without it being a huge blow. This feels amazing.

And it didn't work out as planned. The repair cost more than expected ($1400) and I picked my car up on Thursday night. I drove it to work Friday morning and stopped for gas near work, when I got back into the car it wouldn't drive anymore.

So, my old car (2008 Chevy Aveo) is back at my mechanics again and he hasn't given me an estimate on what it's going to cost yet. But, on the bright side, I'm getting a new car (2018 Toyota Yaris). I pick it up tomorrow.

It's more debt, but I can afford the payments as long as things keep going well as they have been the last little while. Once my car is fixed I'll try to sell it and hopefully get enough to cover what I just put into repairs.

Jinsai
06-22-2019, 09:11 AM
I found myself taunting and mocking a fox-watching Trump supporter online who wasn’t even talking about politics... what the fuck is wrong with me. So what if someone loves Laura Ingaham and Tucker Carlson and their avatar is an American flag... I’m letting the news I’m reading affect me too much

I honestly think it's ALL affecting me too much. Suddenly, it fills me with a rage, like "fuck you I wanna FIGHT" when I talk to Trump supporters... it wasn't like this with Bush Jr. This isn't just relegated to online discourse, I've almost gotten into literal fist fights with people. It's too much. I'm really not a violent person. I can't imagine where I'd be if I didn't live in some place that's 99% liberal. I'm sure I'd be dead at this point.

Jinsai
06-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Mitch McConnell. Fucking Mitch McConnell. Holy shit... fucking Mitch McConnell.

Haysey_Draws
06-24-2019, 03:12 AM
Week of ups and downs, but the big one is my health.

6 or so weeks ago i went into hostial to get some ECG's and blood tests as i was having chest pains and dizzy spells. Thankfully i'm not having a stroke or heart attack (apprently my heart is in tip top condistion) but the pains are still there.

After getting my blood tests back i found my Vitaim D was about 30 (should be between 70-100) so i went back to my GP for advice. During this time my dizzy spells got really bad, and i was almost throwing up at my desk at work. My GP, having looked at everything, immediately said he "didn't care" about my chest pains as he didn't think they were "important enough" to worry about, and he doesn't know why i'm dizzy so just refereed me to a specialist.

I just got the date of the appointment with the specialist, 22nd...of October :eek:

First i don't think i can live with this til fucking October, second i dunno why my GP just flat out just ignored my blood tests (could my super low D levels be contributing to the dizzy spells) Third why the fuck didn't he prescribe me something for the low D levels, instead just saying "go to a supermarket and get something" I ALREADY DID. It felt like i was wasting his time and he just wanted me out of his office :(

ickyvicky
06-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Haysey I would see a different doctor.

Haysey_Draws
06-25-2019, 02:50 AM
@Haysey (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5491) I would see a different doctor.

Yeah...unfortunately this is the 3rd one i've seen (the one i saw before who actually made an effort left) but you are right, i might just move surgery's, i can't live with feeling like i'm going to be sick/faint for 17 weeks.

fillow
07-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Youtube blocking the ability to rip/download HD versions of videos. Tried several plugins that were working before as well as Jdownloader... to no avail. I guess it's just a matter of time before JD dev team crack this one again, but dammit it's annoying.

ltrandazzo
07-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Not serious enough for "fucked day" but...

I've practically moved to Cincinnati for my girlfriend's residency at Cincy Children's last week but have to wrap things up with my current job. I'm starting a new job on July 22nd so I was planning on putting in my two week notice today so that I could wrap up on July 17th, thus giving me time to drive the 2% of my things left here in Memphis up to Cincy and then head home to St. Louis to be with friends and family for my birthday. I got back from vacation Monday and saw an email invite for a 1:1 coaching session with my exec leader at 3pm and thought "Great, I'll give it to him then."

He calls at 3 and I already have my notice typed up and signed with emails ready to go to him and HR when after exchanging pleasantries... he asks if we can reschedule because the previous manager he had a session with before mine went over their time and then had him working on something for them that "couldn't wait."

So, I now have to wait over 40 hours (because we're closed tomorrow) to give this notice at 9am on Friday. UGH. I'm still asking for the 17th since he delayed this. Super annoying.

october_midnight
07-07-2019, 10:36 AM
When your condo tower strata decides that hell, it's been 10yrs...time for a complete building repair and paint job. So now the $4000 I had set aside for Hawaii and a full back piece tattoo is now sitting at about $350! Awesome!

theimage13
07-11-2019, 07:22 PM
https://scontent.fkix2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/65977218_1398232213664225_492499862563061760_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQnX8iI9IJogpU3_QkfpdnAzA-wmeI2JSajKU0bejfT0CiObSCXOsK1CRDtM7OX9AsU&_nc_ht=scontent.fkix2-1.fna&oh=78efb77437e9836131482a563f1614e6&oe=5DAF3E5D

I pointed out - politely - that the people in the big city most likely lived in small apartments and walk / take public transit everywhere, while people in that rural area have entire houses for just a couple people and will drive their gas-guzzling pickup around by themselves to go 15 miles to the store, meaning the city dwellers quite possibly have a much lower carbon footprint. And that I've never seen anyone in a big city with a brush pile burning for days on end.

He unfriended me.

Oh well.

klyrish
07-12-2019, 12:18 PM
I was supposed to be leaving Denver at 4:30 to LAX this afternoon with my buddy for the potentially-last-ever show by The Ghost Inside tomorrow night and got a text from SWA that our flight was canceled. I confirmed online and was able to get onto the 7:45pm flight but couldn't get hold of him and of course the flight filled up. He did the AirBNB reservation and has the info so he's kind of critical to this trip. I called Southwest and they confirmed the 4:30 flight which is currently en route from DEN to Milwaukee and then was supposed to fly back from MKE to DEN before heading to LAX is in fact canceled and she said it was due to "weather issues."

Milwaukee: 78 F currently, high of 85 F with 0% chance of rain
Denver: 89 F currently, high of 94 F, 20% chance of rain
LA: 75 F currently, high of 84 F, 0% chance of rain

Yeah, I guess all this perfect weather is just too much for the pilots to handle. What the FUCK?

theimage13
07-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Bought a new TV last night. Woke up to a cancellation notice. Thanks, Best Buy.

I know sites aren't legally obligated to honor a price if they fuck it up on their site, but they should anyway when they've got that much money. Oh well. Guess customer service is lost on some people.

Demogorgon
07-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Having worked in the electronics area of a big box store, not Best Buy but a competitor, my advice is to NEVER trust the online stock if it says Pick Me Up Today! Call the store, make the kid walk back to where they keep the shit, visually verify that it is there for you. Electronics, especially tvs, are perpetually short stocked from the manufacturers. You'll get two, maybe three shipments of general stock tvs from spring into early summer, and that's it. Everything else will be held in reserve until the holiday months which is pure shit and a stock nightmare.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-18-2019, 07:39 PM
It was like 103 degrees today, gonna be about the same tomorrow, and people just want to STAND OUTSIDE IN THE SUN AND SHOOT THE SHIT LIKE WE AIN’T UNDER HEAT ADVISORY. Nah, I’m cool sweating bullets while I listen to you tell me what you think about the new Top Gun trailer. Riveting. That’s totally what I came here for, thank you.

Fuckin’...if we have to stand and make small talk and banter can we please at least not do it with the afternoon sun over our heads? Go under some shade? Anything?? Why are we doing this?

theimage13
07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Having worked in the electronics area of a big box store, not Best Buy but a competitor, my advice is to NEVER trust the online stock if it says Pick Me Up Today! Call the store, make the kid walk back to where they keep the shit, visually verify that it is there for you. Electronics, especially tvs, are perpetually short stocked from the manufacturers. You'll get two, maybe three shipments of general stock tvs from spring into early summer, and that's it. Everything else will be held in reserve until the holiday months which is pure shit and a stock nightmare.

I didn't do pickup though; I did delivery. Because I knew pickup would be bad for EXACTLY that reason. But even then, people who ordered these for pickup were being turned away even though the set was in stock. Had nothing to do with availability. They wholesale canceled EVERY order for that SKU.

Whatever, joke's on them. Gonna have a lot of purchases coming up for home theater gear and appliances, and now they are 100% off the list for all of it.

Haysey_Draws
07-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Well what started as a little leak in my ceiling on Monday resulted in coming home Thursday to a massive crack in my ceiling and my floor/rug soaked...luckily i had let the tenant agency know as soon as i saw it Monday so my landlord was actually there when it happened and fixed the leak/tried to save my rug. Now i just have to wait for him to repair the ceiling (who knows when that might be), but i'm just happy it just landed on my rug, 3 months ago that area was my desk :eek:

theimage13
07-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Well what started as a little leak in my ceiling on Monday resulted in coming home Thursday to a massive crack in my ceiling and my floor/rug soaked...luckily i had let the tenant agency know as soon as i saw it Monday so my landlord was actually there when it happened and fixed the leak/tried to save my rug. Now i just have to wait for him to repair the ceiling (who knows when that might be), but i'm just happy it just landed on my rug, 3 months ago that area was my desk :eek:

Also luckily you're renting. Don't want to think about what that would cost if it was your responsibility! Hope the weather isn't too bad while you're waiting.

Haysey_Draws
07-23-2019, 05:58 AM
Also luckily you're renting. Don't want to think about what that would cost if it was your responsibility! Hope the weather isn't too bad while you're waiting.

Yeah i am super lucky. No idea when it'll be fixed so i have had to just use duct tape to stop it getting worse for now. Also the leak was from a pipe in the flat above which has been fixed, so no need to worry about the weather...though it is VERY WARM!

elevenism
07-28-2019, 08:30 PM
I found myself taunting and mocking a fox-watching Trump supporter online who wasn’t even talking about politics... what the fuck is wrong with me. So what if someone loves Laura Ingaham and Tucker Carlson and their avatar is an American flag... I’m letting the news I’m reading affect me too much

I honestly think it's ALL affecting me too much. Suddenly, it fills me with a rage, like "fuck you I wanna FIGHT" when I talk to Trump supporters... it wasn't like this with Bush Jr. This isn't just relegated to online discourse, I've almost gotten into literal fist fights with people. It's too much. I'm really not a violent person. I can't imagine where I'd be if I didn't live in some place that's 99% liberal. I'm sure I'd be dead at this point.dude. ha. What you do is, you pretty much don't leave the house. I went to the pharmacy the other day. This guy had on, like, an NRA vest, and a gun on his waist. But he was walking with a cane. So me, ever the altruist, with my long hair and piercings and such, I tried to hold the door open for him. He looked at me like, just fucking FURIOUS, and growled some hateful shit at me in response.
From there, I went to the post office, where I encountered ANOTHER dude with a gun on his belt. This second guy is an old family friend, but, goddamn.
This is in a town of 2000. Two people, in ten minutes, exercising their open carry rights, in a town of 2000, where there is like, absolutely NO need to pack heat.
And remember, a few years ago, that guy wanted to fight me for wearing a black and white American flag shirt.
So, yeah, you mostly chill at the house.

Demogorgon
08-04-2019, 01:07 PM
When racist people try to publicly chastise you in the most passive aggressive way possible.

Pillfred
08-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Just about everything today. I'm thinking I need to stop drinking coffee again. Like I literally just want to hulk smash at this point. Hopefully work goes well.

Haysey_Draws
08-06-2019, 09:43 AM
When i post my sketches on social and get nothing but people begging for me to check out their youtube channels/if they can use it in their videos, please STOP!

I just got a large comment that was 6 words about my drawing and then 30+ more about their channel and how much they need me to help support them...NO! Please don't go around begging for views, it makes me not want to check your stuff out, let that shit grow organically! Also please give me some constructive criticism, i'm not going to grow and learn with just "hey that's awesome please check out my channel"

tony.parente
08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
The god damned sucking fucking stupid ass god damned Jehovahs Witness convention that's happening at the Americas center next door to my work in saint louis making me mother fucking late again for no god damned reason when these motherfuckers were just here plaguing our streets and my mental health 2 weeks ago.

How many fucking conventions do these people need? There's no islam conventions downtown, no catholic conventions, no Baptist conventions, no atheist conventions, no church of satan conventions.

I JUST WANT TO BE AT WORK ON TIME WHAT THE FUCK

Mantra
08-16-2019, 04:53 PM
That's because all those other religions are lightweights. Jay Dubs are fucking hardcore. They have state conventions every year, and smaller regional conventions twice a year.

Tony, have you ever considered that this is a sign from above? That maybe you are meant to join ranks with these fine, upstanding people? THINK ABOUT IT.

Haysey_Draws
08-28-2019, 04:27 AM
Bought myself a touch screen tablet/drawing tablet to get back into drawing and cheer myself up. Had it for all of 2 weeks and the WiFi has died (it won't find or connect to any network) followed the instructions from the place i got it from by rebooting it and nope, nothing...only now i don't have the drawing apps as i rebooted so it's effectively useless. Will probably have to send it back for repair/replacement...and i was really getting back into drawing with it :(

At least i still have my drawing book and pencil.

Halo Infinity
09-01-2019, 10:44 AM
The god damned sucking fucking stupid ass god damned Jehovahs Witness convention that's happening at the Americas center next door to my work in saint louis making me mother fucking late again for no god damned reason when these motherfuckers were just here plaguing our streets and my mental health 2 weeks ago.

How many fucking conventions do these people need? There's no islam conventions downtown, no catholic conventions, no Baptist conventions, no atheist conventions, no church of satan conventions.

I JUST WANT TO BE AT WORK ON TIME WHAT THE FUCK
In all seriousness, at least since 2005-2009 at the earliest, I have always wondered and still wonder why they don't just take advantage of the Internet and make official forums and wikis. You'd think with some of those lucrative churches, they'd have more an enough money to invest on the Interent, especially with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. That would seem to be much more effective and anything but disturbing and intrusive, as opposed to going to people's faces in real life they have no business of approaching. I just don't see how any of that could surpass the Internet in terms of spreading a message successfully without getting into people's faces IRL.

@Swykk (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=285) - This post also reminded me about you, and I still have it burned in my memory, because if my memory is correct, I recall mentioning that some of them even resorted to intentionally leaving tracts in restrooms? And I'd still agree, of all places, like really? :p

I have no problem with people believing what they believe, but street preaching just makes me uncomfortable even when I'm not always necessarily irritated. I also dislike it when they also do it on trains.

But really, especially with 2020 just around the corner, they really should just resort to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube while investing on official .org and .com forums and wikis because forums/wikis and the Internet in general is the still the best way to spread/promote/adverstise messages.

That's what also bothered me too. The Internet is a thing damn it. Use it. :p

eversonpoe
09-02-2019, 09:04 PM
i was having a good weekend. i got a new bike. but i woke up today and i felt off. and i just kept feeling worse. and everything i tried to do backfired. even the bike ride i took today ended up making me feel so sweaty and uncomfortable for hours after (despite only riding for about 25 minutes). i spent the whole rest of the day with my wife and it didn't help. i had dinner with my parents and it didn't help. when i got back to where i'm cat-sitting and staying with the cat, i realized i had left all my meds at my apartment, so i had to drive back home and then back here. everything has just felt so insurmountable today. but i'm still trying.

thelastdisciple
09-02-2019, 10:16 PM
After 6 years my gaming laptop's motherboard fried itself. :(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190903/dd7e1dab69f93ee8ef13c2f3e808c9ea.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

theimage13
09-11-2019, 04:41 AM
Counterfeit book sellers on ebay. Currently multiple listings for a new release that are all just shitheads selling ripped versions of the ebook for 20% of the price and claiming to be "authorized resellers". Unfortunately, ebay's own policies don't seem to actually have a specific ban on this. Counterfeit physical books seem to be banned, but there's no reporting option to cover selling a ripped PDF / epub / mobi of a book.

Erneuert
09-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Waking up and doing the morning poo, then trying to enjoy a coffee afterwards (in my case, a large Mocha from McDonald’s) and getting the urge to drop a noodle again after already taking the garbage out of the system.

“I can think of things more noble and aesthetic than the human gastrointestinal system. What’s so divine about having to eat and then dump, will you tell me?”

- Captain Cutshaw arguing about god’s existence in The Ninth Configuration

Pillfred
09-16-2019, 08:17 PM
My nieces shit head dog is here while she's out of town. I just want to stomp the life out of that thing sometimes. My already complete shit disposition today isn't helping matters.

^Also I hate shitting as well for many reasons.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-20-2019, 10:32 PM
I’ve been working until 11 pm (as opposed to 5) every night this week, and I haven’t stopped working overtime since July 31st. Today, we had a two-story flood happen that was such a problem that it was literally the only thing I was able to get done, on the last day before I take my vacation. But I handled the flood, finished the day, and get home - and I think to myself, “know what? First night off all week? I think I’ll go see a movie, haven’t done that for a while. I know, I’ll finally go see It: Chapter 2. Don’t usually see movies on Friday nights, but how bad could it really be?”

And I walked out. 45 minutes in. Because both people on either side of me were talking to their dates the ENTIRE movie, and one was on her phone half the time. So I calmly got up, stood in front of her to block her view, looked her in the eye, and called her out on it in front of her boyfriend, before I walked out. Luckily, the staff understood and gave me a refund, but Christ. All I wanted to do was enjoy my first night off all week, the first night of a week-long vacation, after nearly being pushed to the point of tears by this job - and this is what happens.

Stay off your phones in movies. Please. PLEASE. If you can’t handle not touching your phone for three whole hours, you have a serious problem.

HWB
09-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Being paranoid over ear damage as I listen to music on headphones.
Nostalgia Critic's review of The Wall, lol.

HWB
09-30-2019, 01:14 PM
+ Reading my old posts on this website. I'm sorry everyone, I cringe going back through it.

Haysey_Draws
10-04-2019, 02:38 AM
I've posted before about people commenting when i post drawings just to get me to check out their stuff...and now i have a new one...PEOPLE THAT ASK FOR ME TO DRAW THEM. No critic, no like, just "DRAW ME!"...FUCK OFF. I don't do customs, but i can bet if i did and asked for payment they'd get pissy.

allegate
10-07-2019, 08:41 PM
My son is in cross country this year and today, due to an early release, the team was in the circuit training room while waiting for the coaches to finish their teacher meeting. Five minutes after they start working out, one of the coaches came in and took the kids out of the room and they all go outside. Everyone warms up together and then the coach sends the girls out for a run. He then proceeds to punish the boys by making them do a cumulative total of 100 pushups interspersed with sit-ups, planks, crunches, and leg lifts.

While leading these drills, he yells at them for some transgression that took place earlier, leaving off a specific time frame (i.e. earlier today, last week, etc.) for it. To quote, "you little dicks, going in there and messing with $1000 machines and goofing off." And there was a "you little shits" thrown in but I'm not sure on the placement in the conversation.

It was not apparent to my son what precipitated this outburst other than a machine was messed up. If one of the cross country kids actually messed up a machine? OK then, have a conversation with that student and discuss the situation. But this? And what if it wasn't even one of the cross country team who messed it up? To accuse the group of students without knowing for sure is not fair to any of them. Never mind the fact that if this was truly a team punishment, where did the girls go for punishment? For a run?

One of the first things that the students bring home - and are expected to follow - is a code of conduct. To wit:

3. Does not use profanity, vulgarity, harassment, or intimidation.

I would assume that if it's good enough for the students to sign and follow, it's good enough for the coaches. So I emailed the principal and the sports director to schedule a meeting.

Halo Infinity
10-14-2019, 07:19 AM
This hasn't happened in a while as I'm an only child, but it always stuck with me.

Tying my shoelaces doesn't always mean, "Talk to me."

An open bedroom door or any open door for that matter also doesn't always mean "Talk to me." either.

Having shoelaces tied and doors closed usually seems to eliminate this problem. As a result, I try not to use somebody tying their shoes, or seeing them through an open door as the only means to speak to them, especially when they might be busy or even in a hurry.

Xen
10-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Air Canada is the shittiest airline to ever exist. Period.

I'd be more okay with their fuck ups if they were some budget airliner and you were getting what you paid for, but they aren't one of those since they are Canada's "Premiere" airliner and charge prices like one as well. I have lost my luggage three times thanks to them over the past few years. I have never lost my luggage to anyone else ever.

chuckrh
10-30-2019, 05:47 AM
stuff like flu shots that are supposed to prevent you from getting sick but make you sick to do it. think that makes sense in my delerium....

Haysey_Draws
10-30-2019, 06:18 AM
The postman keeps delivering our mail next door and vice versa. They keep confusing 8 and 8C, which has resulted in me missing a hospital referral appointment for a 24 ECG (still getting the chest pains).

Both buildings have a number of flats so when mail goes to the wrong building it just gets lost if it's not for anyone there, i've tried speaking to the postman directly but they honestly don't care...this is infuriating!

allegate
10-31-2019, 02:24 PM
I don't know what I clicked on for Google to switch me to their "Fast Track to Right-Wing Conspiracy Theorist" but holy crap at the ads I've been getting.

thelastdisciple
11-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Not being able to beat my devil daggers score. ��

theruiner
11-14-2019, 04:09 PM
I'm so tired of dealing with bigots. Just so, so tired.

Halo Infinity
11-17-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm so tired of dealing with bigots. Just so, so tired.
I didn't want to end up ranting... but this also gets to me. As I'm sure it should, but the prouder they are, while absolutely believing they're not only awesome, but genuinely good/virtuous, decent or even excellent human beings just for being heterosexual, cisgender males and at times "American" (While I've seen racism in New York City, I don't see it as much as homophobia, transphobia, sexism and misogyny, but it's also out there as it would be anywhere else.) makes it drive me up the wall even more.

And unsurprisingly, they're just as insufferable in every other facet of life.

Jinsai
11-19-2019, 07:15 PM
bigotry is making a huge comeback in the status quo, and it really really really sucks.

ryanmcfly
11-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Yesterday while walking my dogs on their double leash, I had a borderline heart attack. I was picking up one of the dogs shits, while I could feel them trying to play on the leash behind me. Then the leash was much lighter. I look back and my dog Greg Poochiato (yes, after Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan) is hauling ass with his stubby legs away from me. I threw the shit bag towards the trash can and tried to run him near our little dog park at our apartments. He then decided to just take off sprinting across the busy street. I went after him and eventually wrangled him and got him home. During this whole time, my wife was doing the dishes and her phone was on silent with no vibrate. I was so furious. It's wild because my sister in laws dog took off and went missing literally two days ago, and was found the next day. I honestly can't imagine the anxiety I would feel if either of my dogs went missing.

eversonpoe
11-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Yesterday while walking my dogs on their double leash, I had a borderline heart attack. I was picking up one of the dogs shits, while I could feel them trying to play on the leash behind me. Then the leash was much lighter. I look back and my dog Greg Poochiato (yes, after Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan) is hauling ass with his stubby legs away from me. I threw the shit bag towards the trash can and tried to run him near our little dog park at our apartments. He then decided to just take off sprinting across the busy street. I went after him and eventually wrangled him and got him home. During this whole time, my wife was doing the dishes and her phone was on silent with no vibrate. I was so furious. It's wild because my sister in laws dog took off and went missing literally two days ago, and was found the next day. I honestly can't imagine the anxiety I would feel if either of my dogs went missing.

daaaaang i'm so glad you got him!

also, that is the best dog name ​i have ever heard.

chuckrh
11-20-2019, 01:44 PM
we go for months of no good shows & then all the sudden everything is the same week. 2 of my favorite bands in the world (non NIN) are playing in seattle back to back nights. wilco & drive-by truckers. DBT is playing a club on 3/18 & Wilco is playing same night at a theater. fortunately Wilco are doing 2 nights. pure dumb luck i got night 2 on a presale before i knew about the DBT show. whew!

ryanmcfly
11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
daaaaang i'm so glad you got him!

also, that is the best dog name ​i have ever heard.

Thank you! Rob Sheridan actually texted Greg about my dog. When I brought it up to Greg after a TBQ show last year, he agrees they should meet. Hopefully TBQ or Killer Be Killed swings by Denver sometime soon!

eversonpoe
11-21-2019, 11:21 PM
listening to the score for a video game i love on vinyl and was looking up stuff about the composer...who killed himself in august amidst sexual assault allegations... why are people such fucking garbage???

allegate
11-29-2019, 04:06 PM
Got to stand in the cold outside Lowe's this morning. Luckily the doors opened up about 5 minutes after the lady behind me said "You know the only reason they're open on the holidays is because of those foreigners, they just don't have the same values as us."

No, it couldn't have anything to do with corporate overlords or the idiotic Americans who think that "well as long as it isn't my family who works on Thanksgiving".

M1ke
11-29-2019, 09:59 PM
When someone's an idiot, I like telling them to go fuck themselves.

It pisses me off that this is becoming frowned upon these days.

Erneuert
11-30-2019, 12:57 AM
When someone's an idiot, I like telling them to go fuck themselves.

It pisses me off that this is becoming frowned upon these days.

Probably because it isn’t being requested and carried out the correct way these politically correct days.

If you want something done, it has to be done right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtu3D471gK8 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtu3D471gK8)

theimage13
12-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Got to stand in the cold outside Lowe's this morning. Luckily the doors opened up about 5 minutes after the lady behind me said "You know the only reason they're open on the holidays is because of those foreigners, they just don't have the same values as us."

...she says, standing in line at a hardware store at the ass crack of dawn the day after Thanksgiving for no reason. "Foreigners". Shut the fuck up, moron.

Swykk
12-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Loud obnoxious screaming children and their inept parents on planes.

allegro
12-01-2019, 12:58 PM

No, it couldn't have anything to do with corporate overlords or the idiotic Americans who think that "well as long as it isn't my family who works on Thanksgiving".

My brother is the manager of the receiving department at a Home Depot in the Detroit suburbs. He told me that Black Friday is the 3rd largest retail holiday for them, bringing in a minimum of $350,000.00 in sales for his store on that one day.

This fake Trump "War on Thanksgiving" has been trending, and it pisses me off that people believe that bullshit. There's never been any such thing, nobody here stopped calling it Thanksgiving (although retailers and TV hosts often refer to it as "Turkey Day"). Pisses me off. What a dick.

My husband was a Federal Air Traffic Controller for 36 years, and he had to work on Thanksgiving EVERY ONE OF THOSE 36 YEARS.

kel
12-01-2019, 08:18 PM
michael buble'.

eversonpoe
12-02-2019, 09:45 AM
michael buble'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaZNYSt7o0

a) i love this song & video so much, especially because the original song is horrible
b) this will make you hate him slightly less (only slightly)
c) he actually thinks this is hilarious and clever, so at least he has a good sense of humor about himself? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
d) i also hate him, so don't worry, this isn't me trying to convince you not to do so

laststepdown
12-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Ordered a NIN hoodie from merchbar for 36+shipping on black friday. came to 44.99 (for some reason I was getting charged tax by nin.com, so I went with the slightly cheaper option...)

Dumbest thing I've ever done.

9 dollar shipping, after 3 days of no tracking I sent an email.
"you have to wait 6 days for us to process, we will ship on the 3rd and you will get confirmation, tracking, etc."

LOL WHAT?

It's 1 (one) hoodie. I get it's the holiday season, but they're an online warehouse. It's a week now and I've gotten nothing.

They usually take a full 24 hours to respond.
Still hadn't gotten a confirmation by 8pm today.
Wrote an email asking for a refund, saying had I ordered from the awesome band directly it would BE HERE BY NOW.
They usually wait 48 hours to respond to customers. That's how long I waited for their first response telling me to wait a week for the item to ship.
I received a near instant response of approval of a refund being processed while I was writing the dispute with my financial institution on my other monitor.

Lol.

Went to go buy the same hoodie from nin.com just now, and it's back to 45 before shipping.

I just wanted a stupid pullover.

I'll just stay skinny and cold. Fuck it.

eversonpoe
12-03-2019, 11:07 PM
online retailers are required to charge tax; this did not used to be the case but has been for the last year or two.

laststepdown
12-03-2019, 11:51 PM
I've noticed it sometimes, I just figured, hey, save $2 or whatever, nin is getting paid either way.

I regret everything. Every pullover that I like is back to full price.

I'll never go through merchbar again.

eversonpoe
12-03-2019, 11:55 PM
I've noticed it sometimes, I just figured, hey, save $2 or whatever, nin is getting paid either way.

I regret everything. Every pullover that I like is back to full price.

I'll never go through merchbar again.

sorry, dude. that sucks. if it helps, there's always this one from H&M https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0641383007.html

laststepdown
12-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Lol! Not sure I'll fit in a Small or X-Small

I mean I'm skinny, but that's like wearing a napkin

Erneuert
12-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Lol! Not sure I'll fit in a Small or X-Small

I mean I'm skinny, but that's like wearing a napkin

I laughed at that more than I should have for some reason.

katara
12-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Yes-men.

theimage13
12-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Yes-men.

I agree.

katara
12-09-2019, 04:33 AM
People who define their entire life by their gender identity and give everyone around them grief for accidental pronoun misuse, but exclusively use the pronoun 'he' for any animal and refer to almost everything, animate or inanimate as 'boi'.

eversonpoe
12-09-2019, 10:33 AM
People who define their entire life by their gender identity and give everyone around them grief for accidental pronoun misuse, but exclusively use the pronoun 'he' for any animal and refer to almost everything, animate or inanimate as 'boi'.

pisses me off that people can't wrap their heads around how simple but meaningful it is to use the correct pronouns.

animals can't declare their gender identity and the meme culture in which we live has dictated "boi" as a gender-neutral term of affection for cute animals. also, most people are quick to correct themselves when someone points out that the animal is, in fact, not male.

people (like me) who have chosen to use pronouns that differ from those foisted upon them at birth ask only for the respect of those around them in the language they use. if someone introduced themselves as "michael" would you call them "mike" or "michael"? you would call them michael because it is a sign of respect and that's what they want to be called. so if i say i would like people to use "they/them/theirs" pronouns to refer to me, it is disrespectful to not make the very small amount of effort required to use those pronouns. and if i correct someone, it's not out of spite for those people, but at the discomfort it causes me that others do not see me in the way i see myself; at the microaggressions of disrespect that people in the trans/non-binary/genderqueer community have to endure every day.

trans kids are bullied constantly by their peers in certain environments. there is a huge issue with discrimination in workplaces against gender-non-conforming folks. black trans women are at the highest risk of being murdered in this country. so i think it's a pretty small ask for people to use the correct pronouns for those with whom they are communicating.

katara
12-09-2019, 02:13 PM
pisses me off that people can't wrap their heads around how simple but meaningful it is to use the correct pronouns.
Acceptance, patience, and most importantly, the benefit of the doubt are aspects that are best exercised on both sides in these circumstances.

eversonpoe
12-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Acceptance, patience, and most importantly, the benefit of the doubt are aspects that are best exercised on both sides in these circumstances.

i agree completely. the problem is often that those who misgender folks (unintentionally) tend to re-focus the situation on themselves, i.e. "i'm trying! don't get mad at me!" instead of the more sympathetic "sorry that i made you uncomfortable."

theruiner
12-14-2019, 03:25 AM
I’d have gladly lived my entire working life disguised as a male if at all possible to avoid the job and wage discrimination (and sexual harassment).
Hi. I know this is entirely a hypothetical for you, but I have actually lived that. I lived the first 34 years of my life pretending to be a male. It almost killed me. Please take many fucking seats before you speak on lived experiences you have never had.

In erasing the word “female” from products, we are gradually erasing female identity. No, we're not. Being more inclusive is not erasing you. Trans men and non-binary people need menstrual products, too. You can take this TERF talking point and shove it.

I know most of ETS won't get this. And I don't mean that as a knock on you all. But there are dog whistles in here. Big ones. Big, bigoted dog whistles. As a trans woman who has spent years and years dealing with bigots, I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Cat Mom is one. You're a TERF. Flat out. Fuck you and your bigotry.

And if anyone wonders why I am being so hostile toward someone who "just has a differing opinion" or thinks that she is making a civil argument while I am going off the rails, then all I can ask you to do is trust me when I say I've seen this before. A lot. I have no patience for bigotry. I have no patience for hashing it out. I've seen this over and over and over again. I know all the dog whistles. I'm not doing this. I'm not debating my existence with anyone.

heroicraptor
12-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Boy, terfs sure are fuckin trash

allegro
12-14-2019, 11:55 AM
I know most of ETS won't get this. And I don't mean that as a knock on you all. But there are dog whistles in here. Big ones. Big, bigoted dog whistles. As a trans woman who has spent years and years dealing with bigots, I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Cat Mom is one. You're a TERF. Flat out. Fuck you and your bigotry.

And if anyone wonders why I am being so hostile toward someone who "just has a differing opinion" or thinks that she is making a civil argument while I am going off the rails, then all I can ask you to do is trust me when I say I've seen this before. A lot. I have no patience for bigotry. I have no patience for hashing it out. I've seen this over and over and over again. I know all the dog whistles. I'm not doing this. I'm not debating my existence with anyone.

Sorry.

I’m not good at trying to expressing General stuff, from an academic standpoint.

I wasn’t stating personal feelings of “TERF” or whatever (I had to Google it). I’m not a radical anything. I was simply speaking from an academic and (later) from a heart-felt personal standpoint, from my personal belief that (as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said) kindness and understanding toward each other has often been a good way for world progress, vs. the opposite. (https://unherd.com/2019/07/why-has-the-lgbt-community-turned-against-lesbians/) You’re projecting stuff onto me, but you weren’t in the original discussion. I was viewing through the lens of both posters above my original comment (neither were you). Empathy and compassion toward anyone’s true suffering, not comparison.

sick among the pure
12-14-2019, 01:52 PM
As another person who has lived way too much of their life in both worlds, keep your "if only I could just pretend to be a man" bullshit to yourself. And really, the misogyny and bigotry you face as a woman in this world vs a trans person, it's not even comparable.

The little thing that pisses me off today: when people say this kind of shit about trans and NB folk.

Detunez
12-18-2019, 08:27 AM
It always slightly pisses me off whenever a movie which wins a lot of rewards and is being hyped as if it is of such extreme quality turns out to feel really bland and ugly to me.

Substance242
12-31-2019, 06:37 AM
So, I am not living alone anymore! I have a little thing here... a marten. ;-) It is somewhere in the roof and sometimes it even forces me to rather go sleep downstairs - in my own house (bar the mortage) that is. Can't figure out how it gets there (where??) or how to get rid of it, ultrasonic device nothing, leaving loud angry dogs barking sounds loop and go away for a week nothing, gonna try some smelly spray and then I don't know. Then there are traps but from what I've seen these little creatures are smart as hell, and poisoning is not an option, I don't want to do it, it's illegal, and also what if it died somewhere in the roof, no. Hey, marten! Fuck you! ;-)

https://i.ibb.co/ySDVTGR/zvieratko.jpg

eversonpoe
12-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Substance242 i just looked up what a marten is and oh my god it is so cute. it might be super cold...maybe put out a blanket for it that you don't care about with a little food and it will stop trying to enter your attic? idunno.

MrLobster
12-31-2019, 12:49 PM
YouTube videos with text-to-speech and the speech part is firmly rooted in the 1980s...

...along with narrators that read text in other videos but then they miss sentences, or change words...

allegate
01-02-2020, 08:26 PM
Found out that this music app I use on IOS received a "pro" version about a year ago and as far as I can tell it fixes everything that was wrong with the "+" version that I paid for but this is another $4.99. So I have to either keep using the version that was phased out and is broken or I can just pay the $5. I know it's only $5 but it's also the general idea that I paid for this and just because he wants to make money and add "pro" to the name he can charge for it all over again. On top of that the app includes "tips" you can pay randomly because hey maybe you were thinking 'sure I'll give him a dollar today."

I fully acknowledge that I'm in a bad mood right now and cantankerous to boot so I'm not looking at it the right way. I blame Kickstarter.

eversonpoe
01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
today is my birthday and two of my best friends didn't even text me to say "happy birthday"
like...i don't need a gift, i don't need you to make a big deal. but is it that hard to send a fucking text? especially since i was talking to one of them and mentioned that i was doing birthday stuff. i don't get it :(

kel
01-02-2020, 10:46 PM
today is my birthday and two of my best friends didn't even text me to say "happy birthday"
like...i don't need a gift, i don't need you to make a big deal. but is it that hard to send a fucking text? especially since i was talking to one of them and mentioned that i was doing birthday stuff. i don't get it :(
the same thing happened to me in november. two weeks later she invited me out to celebrate a mutual acquaintance's (at best) birthday. i thanked her, but politely declined. fuck you.

i'm sorry :( that really sucks.

happy birthday, max! <3

allegate
01-02-2020, 11:42 PM

well, to quote twitter, happy fucking birthday. ;)

Magnetic
01-03-2020, 03:58 PM

That sucks, I'm sorry. I know what that feels like, because my birthday is a handful of days before xmas, and none of my 'close' friends texted me on the day. Some sort of acknowledgement goes a long way. FWIW, congrats on another completed orbit around the sun. ;)

Sarah K
01-12-2020, 12:04 AM
A student I've worked with closely recently died, and I'm nearly certain that she killed herself after getting dismissed from her program.

She wasn't even 40 yet, but was going blind and there was a lot of denial around that. She had always been a nurse, so the new disability necessitated a career change. She was having a very hard time adjusting to her new reality but it seemed to be going better lately. My coworker who has been blind his whole life told her a while back more or less... "Look, you don't have to like it, but this is your life now, and you have to adjust." after we were met with resistance on various interventions and supports.

It's come to light that she had nearly $150k in student loans, and a few people in my office are trying to see what we need to do in order to get them written off. But this involves obtaining a death certificate, and the only point of contact we really have for her is her daughter who is still in high school.

While all of this fucking sucks, the thing that's really getting to me is that I handle our emergency laptop loan program, and even though they are supposed to be short loans, I've always given her one for the whole semester for accessibility and software reasons. I let the Dean over tech stuff know that she had one checked out so they could write it off. But no. His response was to tell me to find out who her emergency contact was, and he would go meet them to pick it up. A low end laptop that's probably close to 5 years old, so it's worth nothing. So fucking unnecessary. This is a man who is usually pretty reasonable and student-centered, so I'm really hoping that I just caught him off-guard and his brain wasn't processing fast enough or something. Because man, what a shitty response.

My coworker went to her funeral, and instead of using it as an opportunity to celebrate her life, they took turns speaking where the main focus was to tell the teenage daughter that this was a sign that she needed to find jesus and all types of dumb religious shit.

Magnetic
01-12-2020, 07:35 AM
That is horrible. In every way. :mad:

SM Rollinger
01-27-2020, 01:06 PM
Sick and tired of hearing this backhanded insult "boomer" everywhere. Have some fucking respect for your elders, "millennials," and quit blaming others for YOUR problems.

Archive_Reports
01-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Sick and tired of hearing this backhanded insult "boomer" everywhere. Have some fucking respect for your elders, "millennials," and quit blaming others for YOUR problems.

1 - Not sure there's anything backhanded about it.
2 - You did the same thing with millenials.

klyrish
01-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Respect is earned, not given, and funnily enough, our problems are a direct result of boomers controlling the government for decades, doing everything they could to ensure no one else ever experienced life as they had it, and still refusing to cede control of it to the people who have to live through the bullshit their endless idiotic decisions have resulted in for the little time we have left before total enconomic, social, and ecological collapse hit us.

allegate
01-27-2020, 01:52 PM
Ok boomer.

You know you asked for that, right?

SM Rollinger
01-27-2020, 01:53 PM
2 - You did the same thing with millenials.
Sarcasm didn't come across there apparently.

Respect is earned, not given, and funnily enough, our problems are a direct result of boomers controlling the government for decades, doing everything they could to ensure no one else ever experienced life as they had it, and still refusing to cede control of it to the people who have to live through the bullshit their endless idiotic decisions have resulted in for the little time we have left before total enconomic, social, and ecological collapse hit us.
That's got nothing to do with a whole generation of people. The issues listed are wealthy vs everybody else. We live in a society where the upper class have unfairly taken far more than their fair share and saddled everyone else with the burden of maintaining the society that got them there in the first place.

Being an greedy asshole knows no age, young or old it doesn't matter.

edit: I'm 36 and have worked my ass off for everything I have, no hand outs, no help from my parents or the government. I haven't by any stretch gotten a "fair deal" but I've made the most out of the opportunities I've had.

katara
01-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Labels in general can fuck right off.

SM Rollinger
01-27-2020, 01:56 PM
Labels in general can fuck right off.

Fuckin A right!

Archive_Reports
01-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Sarcasm didn't come across there apparently.

That's got nothing to do with a whole generation of people. The issues listed are wealthy vs everybody else. We live in a society where the upper class have unfairly taken far more than their fair share and saddled everyone else with the burden of maintaining the society that got them there in the first place.

Being an greedy asshole knows no age, young or old it doesn't matter.

Well, see, that's not all entirely true. It doesn't only have to do with wealth but a lot of social issues as well. If that generation had been more open to, you know, decency and science, we may not be facing the issues that currently plague us.

SM Rollinger
01-27-2020, 02:33 PM
Well, see, that's not all entirely true. It doesn't only have to do with wealth but a lot of social issues as well. If that generation had been more open to, you know, decency and science, we may not be facing the issues that currently plague us.

Article on scientific achievements from the baby boomer generation...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS182429596720101222

(Artificial Heart, Apple II, the Internet, AED and portable dialysis machine, ECT)

And like I said before, you can be an asshole at any age. Generation has nothing to do with it. Remember Pharma Bro?

Archive_Reports
01-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Article on scientific achievements from the baby boomer generation...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS182429596720101222

(Artificial Heart, Apple II, the Internet, AED and portable dialysis machine, ECT)

And like I said before, you can be an asshole at any age. Generation has nothing to do with it. Remember Pharma Bro?

I never said a specific generation wasn't capable of amazing scientific achievements or compassion. HOWEVER, you'll find that the majority from that particular generation are probably not cut from that same cloth. Say what you want about Pharma Bro, but I'll bet he doesn't deny climate change.

SM Rollinger
01-27-2020, 03:05 PM
I never said a specific generation wasn't capable of amazing scientific achievements or compassion. HOWEVER, you'll find that the majority from that particular generation are probably not cut from that same cloth. Say what you want about Pharma Bro, but I'll bet he doesn't deny climate change.

The whole rejection of science issue isn't a generational thing though, it's political. Conservatives have brought it from a fringe/religious issue, where most people still accept science as fact, and combined it with their bases general distrust of government, and now you have people thinking that the Earth is really flat, GLOBAL WARMING doesn't exist and vaccines will give your kids autism. Now they use it as a device to separate themselfs from the "libs and Dems" and to push their anti consumer, pro big business agendas.

I heard someone "ok Boomer" somebody at work today, i didn't expect my post to snowball like this. Good stuff guys :)

Archive_Reports
01-27-2020, 03:10 PM
The whole rejection of science issue isn't a generational thing though, it's political. Conservatives have brought it from a fringe/religious issue, where most people still accept science as fact, and combined it with their bases general distrust of government, and now you have people thinking that the Earth is really flat, GLOBAL WARMING doesn't exist and vaccines will give your kids autism. Now they use it as a device to separate themselfs from the "libs and Dems" and to push their anti consumer, pro big business agendas.

I heard someone "ok Boomer" somebody at work today, i didn't expect my post to snowball like this. Good stuff guys :)

It's absolutely not just a generational thing. That said, had these concepts been embraced earlier by the specific generation we're referencing here, there may not be as many from younger generations that believe idiotic things.

allegate
01-27-2020, 03:12 PM

I heard someone "ok Boomer" somebody at work today, i didn't expect my post to snowball like this. Good stuff guys :)that one's a far-left issue as well for some fucking reason. great example of horseshoe politics.

thelastdisciple
02-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Postal delivery workers have to be the biggest babies, one of the drivers complained that our mailbox wasn't accessible enough because of the snow. As a result our mail was withheld at the post office for what must have been 2 weeks at most, of course no one had the decency to call and let us know or at least leave a fucking notice behind. So yeah needless to say we thought something was strange when the box was continuously empty for so long, at first we didn't think anything of it because how the hell were we supposed to know? there could have just been no mail to deliver. Anyways I call bullshit over their complaint, it was perfectly fine getting to the box and they're just being lazy assholes that want a red carpet treatment.

Well cleared a little more snow out of the way for their royal highness and if they bitch about it now they can go fuck themselves.

https://i.imgur.com/rWjyd9S.jpg

allegate
02-08-2020, 12:55 PM
iTunes says I have 11GB free on my phone after syncing and adding some playlists. I pick up my phone and it says that "7 items that could not be synced, check iTunes for more information". iTunes does not have more information. further, when I check my storage on my phone it says I have 426MB free. That's a big fugging difference from 11GB!

I hate iTunes so much.

allegro
02-10-2020, 12:15 AM
iTunes says I have 11GB free on my phone after syncing and adding some playlists. I pick up my phone and it says that "7 items that could not be synced, check iTunes for more information". iTunes does not have more information. further, when I check my storage on my phone it says I have 426MB free. That's a big fugging difference from 11GB!

I hate iTunes so much.
This is why I have iTunes Match :)

WorzelG
02-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Don’t really know where to put this but when is twitter going to ban Graham Linehan (or glinner)? - I think he’s actually gone a bit deranged, I can see him setting up a Glinnertown and having all the gender critical feminists following him to drink the kool aid. An absolute cult

eversonpoe
02-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Don’t really know where to put this but when is twitter going to ban Graham Linehan (or glinner)? - I think he’s actually gone a bit deranged, I can see him setting up a Glinnertown and having all the gender critical feminists following him to drink the kool aid. An absolute cult

i get so mad every time i remember how much of a transphobic fuckwad he is. and then i feel ashamed for loving IT Crowd & Black Books so much. ugh. he's a piece of shit.

WorzelG
02-10-2020, 10:59 AM
i get so mad every time i remember how much of a transphobic fuckwad he is. and then i feel ashamed for loving IT Crowd & Black Books so much. ugh. he's a piece of shit.
He’s been a complete arse all of his time on twitter though, so considering his tweets have all been either dull, unfunny or just plain obnoxious I’m believing the humour of his shows was mostly his writing partners!

allegate
02-10-2020, 11:33 AM
that and the performers. Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Tamsin Greig, Richard Ayoade, Chris O'Down, Katherine Parkinson, Chris Morris, Matt Berry, and Noel Fielding are all people I did not know about until those two shows. now I follow their careers and projects. Dylan helped write Black Books and it definitely showed.

also let's not forget:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/IT_Crowd_Cast_American_Version.jpg

Halo Infinity
02-11-2020, 07:08 AM
This might count. This also definitely shows how much I appreciate how ETS generally functions.

Anyway, when I enter a music section of a forum and barely see any threads dedicated to individual bands and musicians of any genre. This isn't to say catch-all threads, or threads dedicated to entire or multiple genres are wrong, but I'm also still far more interested in reading opinions on individual bands. ETS is just one of those forums that gives me that chance to read about conversations about one artist at a time, as opposed to just threads based on multiple musicians and genres going off all at once. It doesn't piss me off in so much an "I hate this shit! Screw this forum." (Since, as long as they allow threads on individual bands, I'm fine with that anyway.) type of way, but more like a "Damn it! I wanted to see conversations about actual bands in particular. But no. Just entire genres, random multiple artists and random songs. How frustrating."

I suppose it's because I've also always liked to focus on one band at a time whenever I listen to music, while always still being very much an album person.

Speaking of which, there are music sections that don't even discuss albums and discographies.

Magnetic
02-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Traveling and seeing some mf wearing a MAGA Drump hat at an airport. I want to fly into a rage and scream at them, but I know it will do no good.

theruiner
02-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Did you see the article about how he lost half a year's pay because of his bigotry and people not wanting to work with him? LMFAO He's just isolating himself more and more and I kind of love to see it.

But yeah, I can't even put into words how horrible he is or the pain he has caused my community. He is a bully and a coward and a truly rotten, disgusting human being. But Twitter will never ban him. He would have been banned like two years ago if he was any of us common people. But because he's a "celebrity" he gets a pass. Which isn't the least bit shocking but it's pretty gross.

allegate
02-16-2020, 03:18 PM
My sister-in-law's boyfriend acquired a bunch of old iMacs through his computer repair company; they gave us two of them saying I "might need to do something" to them. I plug one in and it works great so I give it to my brother-in-law. the second one though had a password on the computer and the boyfriend said he didn't know what it could be and that I should try reinstalling the OS via usb. the thing is it's fucking difficult to work with mac OS files and images on a windows computer.

Oh and they live in Bend and just flew off to Denver and Vietnam.

what I've done so far:

downloaded images of 10.9, 10.10., and 10.11 mac OS's.
downloaded and installed TransMac to make mac-formatted usb drives
used TransMac to make USB bootables using each of the above images.
used PowerISO to try (and mostly fail) at making USB bootables; for some reason it hates the 10.10 and 10.11 images
tried to used cmd line to convert the dmg images to ISOs; that worked but no better luck booting from ISO-created files

99% of the time when I boot holding the Command key it won't show me the USB drive at all. the 1% of the time it does it starts to do...something...and then five minutes later the apple icon turns into the circle with a line through it.

At least I know the exact model I'm working with: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.8-24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html#macspecs1

I feel like this poor USB drive is going to be dead before the weekend is out with how many times I've formatted and installed images on it.

WorzelG
02-17-2020, 02:57 AM
Did you see the article about how he lost half a year's pay because of his bigotry and people not wanting to work with him? LMFAO He's just isolating himself more and more and I kind of love to see it.

But yeah, I can't even put into words how horrible he is or the pain he has caused my community. He is a bully and a coward and a truly rotten, disgusting human being. But Twitter will never ban him. He would have been banned like two years ago if he was any of us common people. But because he's a "celebrity" he gets a pass. Which isn't the least bit shocking but it's pretty gross.
Yes, he’s even alienated his own brother in law @flidby who keeps liking anti-glinner tweets.

You should watch the Newsnight interview where he gets taken apart by the interviewer to the point where his leg starts flapping in stress - he comes across as unhinged

https://youtu.be/xVGpqEKtV-E

theruiner
02-17-2020, 02:48 PM
I saw that! It was beautiful.

Swykk
02-20-2020, 10:38 PM
Had sinus surgery about 8 hours ago and I am hoping it helps me but my nose is bleeding A LOT.

The directions I got said it may do so and I can lightly blow it but how much is too much? It seems like blowing made it worse.

Anyone had this procedure?

Jon
02-21-2020, 01:22 AM
Had sinus surgery about 8 hours ago and I am hoping it helps me but my nose is bleeding A LOT.

The directions I got said it may do so and I can lightly blow it but how much is too much? It seems like blowing made it worse.

Anyone had this procedure?

They didn't do tampons, at least for a day or two? Bleeding is normal for a week or so. Blowing your nose is fine as long as you're not trying to "get everything out". I think most medical literature tells you to abstain for a while, but the research seems to show that it doesn't adversely affect outcome.

My wife had a septoplasty to repair a "birth defect". She had the tampons in for a week and describes them being removed as the worst pain she's ever felt.

Swykk
02-21-2020, 02:45 AM
It’s been 6 hours non stop. I drove to the ER and they can’t figure it out either so they paged the doctor that did the procedure and are waiting for him to answer.

im so tired.

ickyvicky
02-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Feel better, hope they figure it out soon!

allegate
02-21-2020, 10:11 AM
It’s been 6 hours non stop. I drove to the ER and they can’t figure it out either so they paged the doctor that did the procedure and are waiting for him to answer.

im so tired.
I had surgery done to my nose a long time ago. I woke up at one point in the recovery room to hear the nurses talk about how 'that guy' was lucky to be alive because of how much blood he swallowed during the procedure, and there was a bucket next to me that was semi-filled with blood. and then when I was discharged the had me walk out of the hospital, no wheelchair at all. not a fan.

serious question though: are you legit tired or internet tired? because blood loss makes you tired and that's making me worried. I hope they figure it out for you soon.

Swykk
02-21-2020, 04:52 PM
Definitely was weak from blood loss and not being able to eat much. Anesthesia really fucks me up.

Doctor got back to us around 3:30 am and said it was normal to bleed a lot for the first day or two. I barely got any sleep.

I’m doing a lot better today so far so I’m glad about that.

Thanks for the concerns and advice, everyone. Seriously. It’s appreciated.

elevenism
02-27-2020, 12:56 PM
I may have mentioned this last year, but I'm still pissed off, and, disturbed, that the cops killed a black kid in my little town last year, and pretty much managed to TOTALLY cover it up. No one would say SHIT. Kid was from out of town, and the car was stolen, but we still have no idea why they shot him. The passenger survived, and I remember seeing him on local news talking about how he didn't understand why they had to SHOOT his brother...

there was hardly any coverage of this event on the local newserrrrr.(edited for length.)

Our town of 1900-2000 is finally being sued, for this shooting, as are the individual Officers involved. (https://www.newschannel10.com/2020/02/21/city-stratford-facing-lawsuit-along-with-officers-after-man-was-shot-killed-years-ago/)

That doesn't piss me off. I'm GLAD. It should have happened sooner, though. Also, I hope this gets rid of the cop who instigated the violence. He does NOT belong in a rural town, where everyone gets along. He's an asshole who has had many complaints, before and after the incident.

thelastdisciple
03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
This is me with Doug TenNapel, love his art but fuck his bullshit personal beliefs. He's such an asshole!

thelastdisciple
03-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Tim Hortons they've completely stopped doing the roll ups on the cups, it's all online now or from their stupid app and they've made it so unnecessarily complicated. The app they want you to use is atrocious and doesn't work right, you also have to use their Tim Rewards card and link it to an account on their website where you do the roll ups and there's all this bullshit with having to sign in continuously for it, i hate it. It was so fucking simple before.

Damn it, think of all the older folks using flip phones that are computer illiterate and have no time for this bullshit, now they can't even play the game like they used to. The one stable thing in their life that they might have looked forward to each year has been ruined, i feel bad for those people. It's bad enough how useless this new format is even when you do know how to use all that technology so i can just imagine people our parents age and older that are now completely alienated.

tap3worm
03-12-2020, 04:16 AM
This might count. This also definitely shows how much I appreciate how ETS generally functions.

Anyway, when I enter a music section of a forum and barely see any threads dedicated to individual bands and musicians of any genre. This isn't to say catch-all threads, or threads dedicated to entire or multiple genres are wrong, but I'm also still far more interested in reading opinions on individual bands. ETS is just one of those forums that gives me that chance to read about conversations about one artist at a time, as opposed to just threads based on multiple musicians and genres going off all at once. It doesn't piss me off in so much an "I hate this shit! Screw this forum." (Since, as long as they allow threads on individual bands, I'm fine with that anyway.) type of way, but more like a "Damn it! I wanted to see conversations about actual bands in particular. But no. Just entire genres, random multiple artists and random songs. How frustrating."

I suppose it's because I've also always liked to focus on one band at a time whenever I listen to music, while always still being very much an album person.

Speaking of which, there are music sections that don't even discuss albums and discographies.

Kind of annoying that Joy Division and New Order are in the same thread though. Suppose it doesn't matter.

eversonpoe
03-12-2020, 07:40 AM
barely slept last night. my chronic pain has been pretty bad lately but my left shoulder has been extra fucked up for a couple weeks, and it's excruciating right now. woke up feeling dizzy and feverish but i had to open at work and didn't want to leave them in the lurch. so i was there for three hours (4:30-7:30) and just got to leave. laying on the couch at my parents' house and hoping i don't have the corona virus. going to get checked out later if any other symptoms present.

guess i got my wish to not have to work six days in a row but it's not worth it. i'd rather be at work than feel like this. :(

Halo Infinity
03-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Kind of annoying that Joy Division and New Order are in the same thread though. Suppose it doesn't matter.
I forgot about that, although at the same time, I'm also not the least bit surprised that Ryan attempted to pull that off. :p

eversonpoe
03-13-2020, 09:02 AM
B9nuxRJljcV

fucking seriously. not trying to play down the seriousness of what's happening at all but this is so true.

allegro
03-13-2020, 10:36 AM
B9nuxRJljcV

fucking seriously. not trying to play down the seriousness of what's happening at all but this is so true.
Well, yeah, in the 80s the way Reagan handled it was absolutely insidious. And it backfired beyond just “immoral sex” per the Moral Majority. Just like this will backfire beyond their narrative of “Chinese Virus.”

eversonpoe
03-18-2020, 11:08 AM
some guy came in and ordered two drinks yesterday, and as he was leaving, i said to him what i've been saying to all the idiots who are still patronizing starbucks: "be safe out there!"

to which he replied, "i ain't buying into none of that media BULLSHIT. FUCK THAT!"

and i just went "ohhhhhkaaaaaay" and continued making a drink for the next idiot.

Haysey_Draws
03-18-2020, 11:41 AM
some guy came in and ordered two drinks yesterday, and as he was leaving, i said to him what i've been saying to all the idiots who are still patronizing starbucks: "be safe out there!"

to which he replied, "i ain't buying into none of that media BULLSHIT. FUCK THAT!"

and i just went "ohhhhhkaaaaaay" and continued making a drink for the next idiot.

And i wonder where he got that opinion of the media...fucking hell!

henryeatscereal
03-18-2020, 01:28 PM
When my boss does his stupid jokes, he thinks he's so funny, but he is a jackass...

theimage13
03-18-2020, 08:34 PM
When my boss does his stupid jokes, he thinks he's so funny, but he is a jackass...

When you say "stupid" are you talking racist, sexist, etc? Or just really cheesy stuff? Just curious, because I've known both types of boss and I definitely get pissed off by one of them.

henryeatscereal
03-19-2020, 01:21 PM
When you say "stupid" are you talking racist, sexist, etc? Or just really cheesy stuff? Just curious, because I've known both types of boss and I definitely get pissed off by one of them.
They are mostly cheesy, but he has made sexist jokes too, but his main thing is doing cheesy and corny jokes about how cool he is (he is not...).

zero
03-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Trying to buy some N95 masks on eBay for my wife's hospital because they don't have enough. Complained to one seller regarding their eBay listing and received this response:

your family gonna die, fuck off , cheap ass, people buy from me was thankful

Karobskollection

Office Number# 626-964-xxxx
Monday to Friday 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM PST.

allegate
03-20-2020, 09:50 PM
and he's reported. danke!

Sarah K
03-21-2020, 10:27 AM
What happens to the admissions cycle this fall if applicants can't take the GRE in time?

eversonpoe
03-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Ugh. I totally admit to stopping at the local Starbucks one last time the very day you posted that. I was driving by after getting groceries and went through the drive-thru. (Overtipping, of course, because I was sure no one was dying to be there.) It was one of those "Who knows when I'm going to be able to do this again?" things, since I hadn't been out of the house in four days and guessed (quite correctly) I wasn't going to be out of the house again for another three or four. Decaf Americano is seriously one of the few small treats I allow myself these days. It didn't even occur to me that probably every moron in the city was doing the same Farewell Tour. Apologies.

They quite sensibly closed the bar/restaurant I work at after Saturday night and I confess to being bewildered by all of the diners out that evening, but was grateful for one more night of income.

at least you did drive-thru! and tipped! i can't tell you how many people were like "thanks for being open!" and couldn't even be bothered to leave their 10¢ in the tip jar

Sarah K
03-21-2020, 05:12 PM
My wife is in a doctoral program right now with access to the people who might be able to answer that. I’ll see if I can get any indication for you.

Thank you! I'm in an MS program right now that didn't require the GRE, so I've never taken it! But I've been prepping for it in my spare time and planned to really go hard on it over the summer with the goal of taking it right before the fall term starts.

This coupled with the inability to connect with faculty and identify mentors/research advisers this semester is making me anxious as hell. I know that you can still, in theory, make those connections via email, but I don't think you're nearly as memorable through text as you are through in-person impressions and conversations. And my conferences obviously got pulled. It isn't looking good.

(yes I know there are 64392749024589 more pressing issues and consequences to this disaster but this is something I've been planning and prepping for for a long time and it feels like it is slipping away)

Sarah K
03-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Sesquipedalism

As it turns out, many Master's programs at the CUNY Grad Center that typically require the GRE are waiving it for fall. I asked if they knew how this would impact fall PhD admissions, and they said it is too early to say definitively, but ETS has just started to allow testing from home. So at least there will still be testing options. Wish they'd just waive them for PhD programs as well but that is likely wishful thinking. I'm a terrible test-taker.

Pillfred
03-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Somebody got my debit card info and racked up a bunch of charges at apple apparently. After three calls to service center each at least 45 mins on hold I got through. Thankfully it was just a walmart prepaid so I didn't get completely fleeced but they did get me for around 200.I have my dispute on file so hopefully I'll get some of the money back.

eversonpoe
03-30-2020, 11:38 AM
sorry, Pillfred . what a shitty time for someone to pull something like that.

two days ago, i noticed a weird smell and heard a bunch of sound coming from our basement. then we got a text that the property management company was aware of the backup in the basement. naturally, i threw on my shoes and ran down there (we live on the first floor) to find a lake of filth. there was also gunk spread out over the entire basement, not just where the water was. i don't know how high up it got at any point, but i'm fairly certain it got into our storage space. can't get over to it right now to check, but i'm really hoping it didn't. thankfully, most of the stuff in there isn't on the ground.

the plumbers were supposed to be back yesterday to finish fixing it / cleaning up, but apparently they were waiting for a special part, so they're supposedly coming back today. i have yet to hear anything (it's almost noon) so i'm not super hopeful. what a shitty (no pun intended) time to have this happen.

ickyvicky
03-30-2020, 11:40 AM
That sucks Pillfred and eversonpoe !

allegro
03-30-2020, 11:54 AM
Somebody got my debit card info and racked up a bunch of charges at apple apparently. After three calls to service center each at least 45 mins on hold I got through. Thankfully it was just a walmart prepaid so I didn't get completely fleeced but they did get me for around 200.I have my dispute on file so hopefully I'll get some of the money back.

You should get ALL of your money back. Fight them.

Archive_Reports
03-31-2020, 07:41 AM

Fill out the Identity Theft Report at identitytheft.gov and follow those steps.

allegate
03-31-2020, 12:53 PM
I called a local vinyl shop to see if I could pick up a new release. They said I couldn't because they weren't an essential business but they could ship it to me. Sure, whatever, I'm supporting local business. So she ships it media mail and for some reason...

Expected delivery
April 01, 08:00PM
Tracking number created
March 30, 01:33PM
Vancouver, WA
Package received by USPS
In transit
March 31, 03:49AM
Seattle Wa Network Distribution Center
...it's going to Seattle before coming back to Vancouver?!? Jesus. I could have just sat outside the shop and intercepted the delivery!

outofthisworld
04-01-2020, 01:35 AM
two days ago, i noticed a weird smell and heard a bunch of sound coming from our basement. then we got a text that the property management company was aware of the backup in the basement. naturally, i threw on my shoes and ran down there (we live on the first floor) to find a lake of filth. there was also gunk spread out over the entire basement, not just where the water was. i don't know how high up it got at any point, but i'm fairly certain it got into our storage space. can't get over to it right now to check, but i'm really hoping it didn't. thankfully, most of the stuff in there isn't on the ground.

the plumbers were supposed to be back yesterday to finish fixing it / cleaning up, but apparently they were waiting for a special part, so they're supposedly coming back today. i have yet to hear anything (it's almost noon) so i'm not super hopeful. what a shitty (no pun intended) time to have this happen.

I can relate to that and I hope you dealt with this. I moved into a new house and everything was fine until I noticed that everything gets dusty very quickly. I even got myself a decent robot vacuum as was suggested by this article (https://robotsnavigator.com/roomba-890-vs-980-an-evaluation-of-the-models-by-roomba/) for prevent the daily cleaning. My landlord said everything's okay and I'm just obsessed with clean. I think this place is just falling apart but it was pretty cheap to rent so I'm the only one here to blame.

Pillfred
04-01-2020, 05:45 PM
Fill out the Identity Theft Report at identitytheft.gov and follow those steps.Started on that yesterday filled with credit companies and put a fraud hold up as well. Also yesterday I got text from "walmartmoney" inquiring about my card. I initially replied though I had already canceled my card and locked my account down. Sure as shit they tried to phish me for my number. To which I replied, "ahh so it was you. Ty for giving me a point of contact to forward to Walmart." They never replied. Was definitely odd seeing that they had my information. Gonna finish up the other steps on the FTC site tonight.

allegro: They've been good about it so far. I'm thinking it won't be an issue.

allegate
04-01-2020, 07:10 PM
I called a local vinyl shop to see if I could pick up a new release. They said I couldn't because they weren't an essential business but they could ship it to me. Sure, whatever, I'm supporting local business. So she ships it media mail and for some reason...
...it's going to Seattle before coming back to Vancouver?!? Jesus. I could have just sat outside the shop and intercepted the delivery!

USPS Informed Delivery said it's supposed to be arriving today but the mailman drove up, skipped my mailbox, and drove away. I checked the tracking number and it says it's not even out for delivery!

StatusIn-TransitApril 1, 2020

In Transit, Arriving Late

so they're coming out again? that seems counter-productive in this COVID world.

allegro
04-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Started on that yesterday filled with credit companies and put a fraud hold up as well. Also yesterday I got text from "walmartmoney" inquiring about my card. I initially replied though I had already canceled my card and locked my account down. Sure as shit they tried to phish me for my number. To which I replied, "ahh so it was you. Ty for giving me a point of contact to forward to Walmart." They never replied. Was definitely odd seeing that they had my information. Gonna finish up the other steps on the FTC site tonight.

allegro: They've been good about it so far. I'm thinking it won't be an issue.
Did you freeze your credit with all three credit agencies as well as place a fraud alert? It’s free by Federal law, now. All security experts are recommending that EVERYONE do this, especially after the Equifax breach.

Pillfred
04-03-2020, 01:06 AM
I did yes.

Substance242
04-03-2020, 11:58 AM
(little things)
YouTube videos with static image encoded with e.g. 30 frames per second instead of e.g. 1 fps, such a waste of computer resources and internet bandwidth. But what can you do when YouTube is the only usable platform for internet music. ;-)

MrLobster
04-06-2020, 02:20 PM
An author I like has a new book coming out late in the year and started doing pre-sales of it but only listed USA options, so I asked about Canadian ones (he is a Canadian author, but lives in the US)... they recommended one option and so I decided to support that.

I pre-ordered the new book and also ordered an older book by the same author to help support them a bit more... so they send the older title first... but it's the wrong edition of the book.

I'm fucking pissed at them right now. Yes I've contacted them and expect it to be resolved positively but now isn't the time to be fucking up simple shit.

(edit: it's been sorted out now... I get to keep the wrong edition and they are sending out the correct edition today... but I'm still pissed)

eversonpoe
04-08-2020, 06:11 PM
woke up to the sound of not one but TWO large trucks beeping while backing up, followed by a workman using a giant circular saw on the sidewalk directly outside my bedroom window. at 7am.

MrLobster
04-08-2020, 06:31 PM
woke up to the sound of not one but TWO large trucks beeping while backing up, followed by a workman using a giant circular saw on the sidewalk directly outside my bedroom window. at 7am.

Never have I flashed to this so quickly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV_w6oT7oj8

fillow
04-14-2020, 01:21 PM
Does anyone also suddenly getting insanely increased amount of ads on Youtube? Like in the last couple of weeks or so? Especially the masterclass ones

allegate
04-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Apple today introduced a Mac Pro Wheels kit (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit) designed for the Mac Pro (https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-pro/), which adds wheels to the machine after purchase. The kit is priced at $699.
When adding wheels to the Mac Pro when making an initial purchase, Apple charges $400, but the standalone kit to be used after purchase is $300 more because the pre-purchase price includes the price of removing the $300 feet.
Apple says the kit includes a 1/4-inch to 4mm hex bit for installing the wheels, but additional tools are necessary. The purchase price includes a total of four wheels and an installation guide.what the actual fucking hell is that bullshit.

eversonpoe
04-15-2020, 12:18 PM
what the actual fucking hell is that bullshit.

ahahahahahahahahaha

or you could just buy some casters & screws at home depot for $10

allegate
04-16-2020, 11:48 AM
WTF is up with kpop stans? I can be reading a twitter thread and suddenly there are several videos and the posts are using hashtags to spam the thread. I block and report every one of them but I don't understand why they do it.

sorry, just went through a block/report jag so it's fresh. also now I'm the only person on my end of the building since the other guy had to go home and quarantine so I'm going to be a little stir crazy.

Jon
04-17-2020, 08:35 PM
WTF is up with kpop stans? I can be reading a twitter thread and suddenly there are several videos and the posts are using hashtags to spam the thread. I block and report every one of them but I don't understand why they do it.

I'll take the hit...

Simple answer: it was a marketing technique that got out of hand. Big Hit Entertainment and later Blockberry Creative wanted a way to raise awareness for BTS and Loona, respectively. It started innocently enough with people asking "Any ARMYs here?", then the "stan loona" phenomenon, and now it belongs primarly to internet trolls looking to... well, troll.

Substance242
04-19-2020, 05:14 AM
The little things that piss you off

Web services that don't provide "delete account" functionality, like echoingthesound.org.

theimage13
04-19-2020, 05:44 AM

Web services that don't provide "delete account" functionality, like echoingthesound.org.

Just start writing a lot of really racist shit and personal attacks against other users. Your account will be gone in no time.

eversonpoe
04-19-2020, 11:26 PM

why do you want to delete your account here?

Jon
04-25-2020, 04:38 PM
How do you go above a seller's head and report them to Amazon for investigation? I have a feeling that the seller does not have all of the inventory they claim to, and is not properly placing/marking orders on backorder, etc.

eversonpoe
04-29-2020, 11:31 PM
i'm really sick of people not gendering me correctly on here. it says "they/them" directly under my username on all my posts. it's not hard.

Substance242
04-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Tree harvesting in my country, I get it that it's just farming the trees and grow them again but what's happening is not normal, I don't believe this is sustainable and it's going on like there's no tomorrow or no world to keep for our children. Chainsaw noises all the time everywhere... today picture around where I live.
http://imgWorld.cz/nahledy3/RaJgQDpryT.jpg (http://imgWorld.cz/RaJgQDpryT.jpg)

zero
04-30-2020, 07:25 PM
i'm really sick of people not gendering me correctly on here. it says "they/them" directly under my username on all my posts. it's not hard.

As the resident old fart, I do admit that figuring out the new social norms regarding gender are quite confusing to me. Please understand I have absolutely no problem addressing anyone in the manner they prefer. That is simply being polite. If I do happen to get it wrong, there is no malicious intent, it's just my ignorance of the rules. Especially when social interaction has never been something I am very good at.

So, I am curious if you think people misgender you intentionally? It seems like such an absurd thing to do with intent, unless someone is just trying to be rude. If you are being misgendered unintentionally, perhaps simple ignorance is the cause? Some of us can take awhile (many decades) to learn new stuff.

Either way, I am sorry it bothers you, and hope I am not one of the guilty persons.

eversonpoe
04-30-2020, 11:32 PM
As the resident old fart, I do admit that figuring out the new social norms regarding gender are quite confusing to me. Please understand I have absolutely no problem addressing anyone in the manner they prefer. That is simply being polite. If I do happen to get it wrong, there is no malicious intent, it's just my ignorance of the rules. Especially when social interaction has never been something I am very good at.

So, I am curious if you think people misgender you intentionally? It seems like such an absurd thing to do with intent, unless someone is just trying to be rude. If you are being misgendered unintentionally, perhaps simple ignorance is the cause? Some of us can take awhile (many decades) to learn new stuff.

Either way, I am sorry it bothers you, and hope I am not one of the guilty persons.

not at all, you're good. and i'm totally fine with with phrases like "hey, man" or the word "dude" in general; that doesn't bother me in the slightest. but when someone refers to me as "he" or if someone referred to me as "a man" i would be extremely uncomfortable. to me it's similar to someone constantly referring to someone as "max" who prefers to go by "maxwell" (ask me how i know!), except it's even more upsetting than that because it's literally refusing to acknowledge an aspect of my identity.

Definitely not in defense of anyone, but maybe you could label your pronouns as "Pronouns" for the people who wouldn't otherwise know what that text indicates? As I'm certain you're aware, many cisgendered people have enough privilege in that department to not even consider there are other ways of being and modes of speech unless it's presented in neon in their faces. Actual neon text might help, too. I'd never even noticed your pronouns there—or pretty much anyone's subheader, now that I'm looking, despite customizing my own like ten years ago—until you pointed them out. The burden shouldn't be on you but, well, we know how this works at present.

the people i've seen do it on a regular basis are definitely people with beef toward me, so i'm almost entirely sure it is intentional. it's a really easy way to disrespect someone and make them feel like you're talking down to them, which is their goal. and i'm not being dramatic when i say that, even though i know how it sounds.

and i know you're not defending anyone. you're probably the smartest person on here and i know you always want to encourage people to think critically and deeply, and i always appreciate that about you <3

allegro
05-01-2020, 12:34 AM
Is it possible that they’re just wrapped up in their own lives and worlds right now, especially due to this pandemic, and this online thing sometimes leads people to overlook the details outside themselves? I know lots of people here think I’m a dude.

Back in 1985 there was Mark Ethan Smith (http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/dissident/) who was pretty much the online revolutionary of gender and Mark suffered a lot of crap (and dished a lot, too, including doxing my best friend, but I digress). We’ve come a long way, or maybe not.

allegro
05-01-2020, 01:10 AM
As the resident old fart
Heh You’re not the only resident old fart. :D

eversonpoe
05-01-2020, 01:24 AM
Is it possible that they’re just wrapped up in their own lives and worlds right now, especially due to this pandemic, and this online thing sometimes leads people to overlook the details outside themselves? I know lots of people here think I’m a dude.

i mean it's really one person in particular who has spent the last 24+ hours shitting on me in a particular thread and insulting my creative endeavors, as well.

it's been fun! /sarcasim*

*this is a deep cut joke that i know allegro will get; i know it's spelled wrong.

allegro
05-01-2020, 01:32 AM
i mean it's really one person in particular who has spent the last 24+ hours shitting on me in a particular thread and insulting my creative endeavors, as well.

Oh, well, in that case. My Grandma would say ignore them, they ain’t worth it. ;)

Magnetic
05-01-2020, 06:50 AM
not at all, you're good. and i'm totally fine with with phrases like "hey, man" or the word "dude" in general; that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I use dude a lot...for everyone, regardless of gender. (The 90s stuck with me.) Though I think I specifically caught myself typing a reply to you and edited it out. :D

Detunez
05-01-2020, 07:42 AM
WiFi and Internet connectivity that starts to misbehave at random times with not even one logical explanation.

SchwarzerAbt
05-01-2020, 04:43 PM

As I am mostly using my phone to read and post on here I am unable to see this. No bad intention if I happen to be one of these people.