PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alex of scotland
11-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Cant believe this isnt already in here yet.
Prometheus, Riddley Scott's "Not an Alien prequel" Alien Prequel.
Dodgey quality trailer leaked now.... not sure ive been this excited to see a film in the cinema ever. Hope it doesnt suck.

NIN64
11-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I watched the trailer last night. I've never been so pumped from such a low quality bootleg trailer. From what I could make out I think this looks promising!

Ashburndaride
12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi res pics >> http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84752

Alexandros
12-02-2011, 06:39 AM
I didn't get to see the trailer but all this excitement over it got me looking for whatever info we have on the movie. And damn it, although I know that all this talk about "ideas that are bigger, way more original and way more profound than those of Alien" is part of the hype, I can't help but feeling hyped! Damn the weakness of my soul...

owinn
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I am so excited for this movie it's ridiculous. Firstly it's reigning back the whole Alien franchise and hopefully saying 'yeah well all those other movies were fanfic and didn't happen' and creating this new universe (which rumour has it will extend into the Blade Runner sequel), secondly it might actually do a good 'ancient aliens' style story that isn't full of the cliche's we've seen - if I see even one crystal skull I'm going to be most upset.

I have two friends who worked on this movie... just throwing that out there - you cannot get them to talk about it on fear of death. This is more closely guarded than a Doctor Who episode. What I do know is that:

a) We've got a sort of The Thing in space style horror
b) It's about meeting our makers
c) There ARE Xenomorphs in the movie and they are massive. That said they play such a tiny part in the movie towards the end and by then you won't care.
d) They have basically filmed two movies, a PG-13 and an R-Rated version.

The trailer from what I've seen looks amazing. You've got Inception style horns overlayed with the original Alien trailer score and a bit of silence before a horrifying 'PLEEEEEASE!' and then some H.R.Gigrt derelict and a Space Jockey chair coming out of the floor... this movie is hopefully going to be an Alien fanboy's wet dream and an answer to the prayers of any sci-fi fan. Hopefully ;) If Fox don't fuck it up.

Highly Psychological
12-03-2011, 01:15 AM
This is just one of those films you just know will be good. Ridley scott is a legend very few directors can hold a candle to some of the wonders he can do with a camera.
Only other living director is speilberg who has as much respect from the mainstream studios in hollywood.
Sciene fiction is his thing where he excels.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
12-03-2011, 03:52 AM
I don't know. Scott gets a lot of love (deservedly) for Blade Runner and Alien, but those are thirty years old, and the rest of his work has occupied a fairly limited range between 'okay' and 'pretty good'. To suggest he excels at science fiction seems a little off: these were two of his first features, and it could be the quality we recognize is borne out of the 'new, enthusiastic, driven director' factor and not so much Scott's prowess with the genre. He hasn't offered much since to suggest one way or the other.

He carries a lot of mainstream cred, true, but his real rank among all film directors probably wouldn't even skirt the top twenty.

That said, while not chomping at the bit, I'm definitely interested in this project.

Lutz
12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't know. Scott gets a lot of love (deservedly) for Blade Runner and Alien, but those are thirty years old, and the rest of his work has occupied a fairly limited range between 'okay' and 'pretty good'. To suggest he excels at science fiction seems a little off: these were two of his first features, and it could be the quality we recognize is borne out of the 'new, enthusiastic, driven director' factor and not so much Scott's prowess with the genre. He hasn't offered much since to suggest one way or the other.

He carries a lot of mainstream cred, true, but his real rank among all film directors probably wouldn't even skirt the top twenty.

That said, while not chomping at the bit, I'm definitely interested in this project.

It could also come out of the fact that he was a director for hire on both of those projects bought in at the end of the creative process (which he was and if I remember correctly he was the third director attached to Blade Runner before it was made). The origin of both Alien and Blade Runner has a lot to do with the failure of Jodorowsky's Dune. After Dune fell through the creative talent assembled then went on to make Alien and Blade Runner. Scott is a solid commercial director who can pull all the elements together with a lot of success but the ingredients that are responsible for the level of creativity invested in those original projects aren't there this time.

dlb
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
anyone knows when the official trailer is going to leak? I'm way too excited for this movie.

Alexandros
12-04-2011, 06:09 AM
It could also come out of the fact that he was a director for hire on both of those projects bought in at the end of the creative process (which he was and if I remember correctly he was the third director attached to Blade Runner before it was made). The origin of both Alien and Blade Runner has a lot to do with the failure of Jodorowsky's Dune. After Dune fell through the creative talent assembled then went on to make Alien and Blade Runner. Scott is a solid commercial director who can pull all the elements together with a lot of success but the ingredients that are responsible for the level of creativity invested in those original projects aren't there this time.

True, but I'm hoping that Ridley's familiarity with the Alien universe, the elements that make it so morbidly appealing and the fact that he (probably) has a special emotional attachment to it will bring out the best in him.

Lutz
12-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Oh so apparently Tara from True Blood is in this. I guess they're just lucky in space they won't be able to hear her screaming.

NIN64
12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Oh so apparently Tara from True Blood is in this. I guess they're just lucky in space they won't be able to hear her screaming.

I find that actress very annoying. At least her character on True Blood is anyway. . .

Lutz
12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I find that actress very annoying. At least her character on True Blood is anyway. . .

She is probably tied with Summer Glau for actress with the most blatant "don't typecast me" publicity photos.

Alex of scotland
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Possible Story plot leak.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/83 (http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/83)

Could also be fanboy wet dream.
Still interesting.

Lutz
12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Possible Story plot leak.http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/83Could also be fanboy wet dream.Still interesting.

With the big twist being the original Alien timeline has now been written over with the Blade Runner timeline. TWIST. :S

dlb
12-20-2011, 02:35 AM
the official trailer will be out on thursday:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/

Alexandros
12-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Apparently an official trailer is imminent on Thursday. Also, there are two television teasers available already, but they're nothing much, they're more like trailers for the upcoming trailer...go figure!

Teaser 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6MHAm9LUDpA)

Teaser 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kn3YouxdY5k&feature=player_embedded)

littlemonkey613
12-21-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCzFnQ_gJ0

this hasn't been posted yet? It's the trailer people!

Looks like a 70s classic... how amazing and odd.

This really looks like its going to be something else. Wow.

Edit: If this is the one everyone at the top as seen, sorry!!!

Alexandros
12-21-2011, 03:15 AM
It is the same, but in a much improved quality. It appears that this is the trailer that will be officialy released tomorrow after all. Now I am a bit disappointed, because I was under the impression that the (previously) leaked bootleg version was just an unofficial teaser, and the first official trailer would be an expanded version of that. Oh well...

Lutz
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
^^^I think we were lead to believe that because the teaser for the trailer was all footage that isn't in that trailer.

A lot of the shots look specifically designed for pop out of the screen 3D. Objects directly in the middle of the screen moving in or out that will produce the hovering in the middle of the audience effect and lots of things lined up to a specific vanishing point.

jmtd
12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
The second leak of the official trailer (better quality) has leaked, I think that's what littlemonkey613 had embedded but unfortunately FOX have got that one. Has anyone got a copy that FOX haven't found?

jhulud
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I saw the trailer yesterday...it's playing right before The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in theaters...

All I will say after seeing it is: if this is not an ALIEN prequel, I don't know what is!

NIN64
12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ HD version below! \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

2nd edit: It's also better with snowflakes IMHO. . .

owinn
12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
HD Version of trailer. Spot the 'Space Jockey' pilot without his biosuit on to the far right of the jockey chair as it rises from the floor. He's big and he's bald.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sftuxbvGwiU

Harry Seaward
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Interesting trailer. Though, it's more of a 'look at all this awesome CGI' trailer than a 'this movie has a great plot' trailer.

As someone on reddit said, if 'Alien' was made today, the trailers would be so much different.

marodi
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Could someone help an ESL person please?

What is being said in the first seconds of the trailer? I can only make out these lines:

-"I was wrong"
-"You were so wrong"
-"I'm so sorry"

I think the first line may be "You don't understand?"

And I can't wait for this either. Ever since I've seen Alien, I've always wanted to know what was the story of the Space Jockey. 30 years is a long time to wait!

owinn
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Interesting trailer. Though, it's more of a 'look at all this awesome CGI' trailer than a 'this movie has a great plot' trailer.

As someone on reddit said, if 'Alien' was made today, the trailers would be so much different.

Except if you read up on the making of this movie and interviews with the cast you'll understand that Ridley Scott uses very little CGI in it. About 90% of this film's sets and effects are hand-built.

konstantin
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
after seeing three teasers for a trailer, it turns out it's a teaser too! wooooooo!

pretty psyched!

owinn
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Here's a screenshot of my favourite part for obvious reasons. Check out what is probably the Space Jockey sans suit by the 's'

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4540/sjockey.jpg

Harry Seaward
12-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Except if you read up on the making of this movie and interviews with the cast you'll understand that Ridley Scott uses very little CGI in it. About 90% of this film's sets and effects are hand-built.

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of this movie before today. That's very, very awesome to hear though.

dlb
12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm glad I could withstand all those bootlegs until now and I'm psyched as hell!

My only complaint would be the figure besides the Jockey. I doubt that this is him eventhough he is definately not 100% human.
At about 0:30 min they are scanning something that looks more like it could be the Jockey's skull or something.

Alex of scotland
12-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I AM JIZZING FAN BOY SPOOGE EVERYWHERE RIGHT NOW!

Also it looks like what we see of the Space Jockeys ship in the first film is only half of what is left from some explosion in this film.

richardp
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
That. Was. Awesome.

owinn
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm glad I could withstand all those bootlegs until now and I'm psyched as hell!

My only complaint would be the figure besides the Jockey. I doubt that this is him eventhough he is definately not 100% human.
At about 0:30 min they are scanning something that looks more like it could be the Jockey's skull or something.
Just remember that Scott has stated time and time again that what you see as the Jockey in Alien is in fact a suit, the figure next to the Jockey chair is the right size to operate it - that's no coincidence. The same stage is used for the Starmap part of the trailer where you see a human standing in the centre and that human is tiny in comparison.

dlb
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
yeah you're right, but I have a hard time believing that they didn't come up with a fancier creature-design for the Space Jockey AND do already reveal him in the first trailer. I mean, he probably IS the most anticipated character of this movie after all.

anyway the trailer still looks amazing and is pretty much everything I could dream of for the first trailer. I love how it's quite similar to the well known trailer for 'Alien'.

Lutz
12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I would speculate from that screen grab the space jokey is a mutated human from the crew and that there either isn't an alien species in this movie at all or it's a surprise one that won't be the space jokey. The screen grab doesn't match up to the alien head seen in the previously released stills - which is on the med table in the trailer.

I keep thinking of Stephen King's Tommy Knockers.

Fixer808
12-22-2011, 05:38 PM
2012 is going to be a fucking awesome year. This looks amazing!

Alexandros
12-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Now that we have a clear trailer, it seems that the supposedly leaked storyline that's been going around for some time is not that far-fetched after all. That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Possible spoilers in the link: http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59905-alleged-prometheus-plot-summary-hits-the-net

exilajei
12-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Oh my gaaaad. I'm pumped!

aggroculture
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks good. I hope the presence of the xenomorphs is not too understated. Let's not bite the hand (or alien, rather) that feeds.

dlb
12-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Is there any info on what role Weyland Yutani is going to play in this? The logo on the helmets looks very familiar but isn't actually the same. Could it be just the "Yutani" logo or the other way 'round?

Vertigo
12-24-2011, 07:22 AM
I seem to remember hearing that Weyland-Yutani will be in one half of its pre-merged state in Prometheus (I think Yutani). Which retcons the stupid-arse Aliens vs Predator film, but who cares...

owinn
12-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Is there any info on what role Weyland Yutani is going to play in this? The logo on the helmets looks very familiar but isn't actually the same. Could it be just the "Yutani" logo or the other way 'round?
It's the Weyland Corp. Ridley Scott is seen wearing a cap with this and the logo on it in the teasers for the teaser

jmtd
12-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I seem to reCall it was one half of the company in the original alien; or at least; it wasn't wayland yutani.

Deadpool
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Seeing the trailer for this for the first time in theaters was amazing - Prometheus immediately shot to the top of my most anticipated list, especially since I somehow forgot or missed that Guy Pearce is in it. Great cast overall, though. This is gonna be so fucking good. All in all, 2012 will be a damn fine year for movies.

DVYDRNS
12-26-2011, 12:19 AM
I never go to the movies... I will be at this opening day. this looks amazing.

Findus
12-30-2011, 04:42 PM
It's the Weyland Corp. Ridley Scott is seen wearing a cap with this and the logo on it in the teasers for the teaser

If the company is mentioned, or its name shown, I wonder which way it will be spelled. Last night, while in a book store, I flipped through the newish Alien Vault book. The cover's inside skin, and front and back pages have WEYLAN-YUTANI printed all over. No d at the end of Weylan. The name of the corporation in Alien is WEYLAN-YUTANI. The name is seen on one of the Notstomo's computer monitors, and is printed on the cans of beer consumed by the crew. It was James Cameron, or someone involved in Aliens, who added the d at the end. I'm thinking it would be spelled with a d, since the name is more prominent in Aliens than it is in Alien, but perhaps Ridley Scott will want to keep it consistent with how it was spelled in his film.

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7619&view=print

jmtd
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
If the company is mentioned, or its name shown, I wonder which way it will be spelled. Last night, while in a book store, I flipped through the newish Alien Vault book. The cover's inside skin, and front and back pages have WEYLAN-YUTANI printed all over. No d at the end of Weylan.

Ah yes, that's what I was trying to recall. Thanks,

Mystery cleared up: It will be "Wayland Corp" (no Yutani: pre-merger?)

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/92

konstantin
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
looking at the trailer i can't help but think BIG SPECTACLE. i realize things have changed drastically since the Alien and in 2012 not many will be rushing to the theaters for a moody terrifying slow burner, but i hope that they'll preserve the spirit of the franchise. i know they aren't exactly going for a prequel, so they're free to do whatever they want. just wishful thinking on my side.

Lutz
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
looking at the trailer i can't help but think BIG SPECTACLE. i realize things have changed drastically since the Alien and in 2012 not many will be rushing to the theaters for a moody terrifying slow burner, but i hope that they'll preserve the spirit of the franchise. i know they aren't exactly going for a prequel, so they're free to do whatever they want. just wishful thinking on my side.

Not putting in any of your opinion re ALIEN makes the rest of your comment extremely baffling.

What about ALIEN isn't BIG SPECTACLE? Is this even to be inferred or are they two separate comments?

What is the spirit of the franchise?

Vertigo
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Alien's modest budget, claustrophobic sets, small-name cast (at the time), unproven director (at the time) and near absence of non-physical effects aren't big spectacle. I agree with Konstantin that Prometheus' trailer looks rather opposite to most/all of those traits, but some of the publicity shots look more... Alieny.
Big or small scale, though, Giger's biomechanicals are looking as amazing as ever.

Lutz
01-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Alien's modest budget, claustrophobic sets, small-name cast (at the time), unproven director (at the time) and near absence of non-physical effects aren't big spectacle.

John Hurt was an Oscar nominee by this stage and Ian Holm was already a famous actor in the later part of his career (in modern standard that would mirror casting Charlize Theron). To put things further in perspective - Alien was the next realist effects sci-fi spectacle to come off the ramp after Star Wars and it was released only a couple of years after Logan's Run won an Oscar for best special effects!

Your use of the word claustrophobic by definition to imply that the movie is somehow small doesn't make sense. The sets bring claustrophobia to the movie but they are also extremely complicated and overwrought.

I think somehow people get into their minds that a "serious" movie must avoid spectacle, it doesn't, what it does is bring the spectacle to a level where the audience finds it acceptable. In this case it has used the idea that the struggle of the working class makes "serious" entertainment. The reason why people mistake how over the top Alien is is because it has done an incredibly good job with this intent.

Actually to remind people about how exactly overblown Alien is how about we contextualise this with the brilliant Alien theme disco mix that was released at the same time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdcOVjbP1TY

Amazing.

owinn
01-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Apart from the reporter describing the Nostrimo crew as a science team there's a revealing production still here...http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/14/prometheus-damon-lindelof-ridley-scott-photos-alien-prequel/

Anyone else getting a distinct Metroid vibe here? I totally am - not only the Chozo statues but Charlize Theron could pass as Zero Suit Samus in a heartbeat!

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/prometheus1.jpg

Fixer808
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
MMmmmmm, Noomi...

ambergris
01-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Easily my most anticipated movie in years...

I don't see much difference between the 'spectacle factor' of Alien and Prometheus, either. Tom Skerritt is like Michael Fassbender. Yaphet Kotto had been a James Bond villain before. Veronica Cartwright was as big then as Noomi Rapace is now

Carpathian Psychonaut
01-18-2012, 02:22 AM
People keep saying 'prequel' but didn't I read somewhere it was more like a different story that's set in the same fictional universe?

Not directly linked, as such, but sharing some of the common assets.

fillow
01-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Pardom my stupid question, but are there any xenomorphs in this film? I guess not, hence the whole non-prequel thing, but I don't follow it too close

dlb
01-18-2012, 03:32 AM
I guess calling it a prequel makes it easier to talk about the movie and directly imply that it is very much linked to the Alien movies. It shares the space jockey, the derelict spacecraft, the same planet, one half of the same company and you might even get a glimpse of some form of Giger's Alien (it's still not ruled out as far as I could read).
Pretty much like "The Thing (2011)" worked for Carpenter's movie, in "Prometheus" you'll see what happened on that planet years before the crew of the Nostromo landed there. So it is somehwat of a prequel, but I doubt that the movie will directly tie things together with the first Alien movie. So no young Ellen Ripley looking up in the sky and wondering what's there to find.

jmtd
01-18-2012, 05:25 AM
the same planet

Really? Confirmed?

Zipfinator
01-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Really? Confirmed?

Well, the giant ship that the Space Jockey is on is explored and appears to be exploding in the trailer so it's pretty much confirmed unless they transported the ruins of that ship to the planet in Alien which would be quite strange.

kdrcraig
01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Pretty much like "The Thing (2011)" worked for Carpenter's movie, in "Prometheus" you'll see what happened on that planet years before the crew of the Nostromo landed there.

Christ, this movie better be a hell of a lot better than The Thing prequel bullshit.

dlb
01-18-2012, 10:29 AM
well, I got no problem with the Thing prequel, but that just popped up in my mind as a latest prequel and I thought it connected quite well with the original film.

Concerning the planet: I haven't read anything specific but nothing against it either. Since the ship (as long as there is just one) seems to crash on that volcanic looking surface I suspect it must be LV-426 from "Alien".

jmtd
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, the giant ship that the Space Jockey is on is explored and appears to be exploding in the trailer so it's pretty much confirmed unless they transported the ruins of that ship to the planet in Alien which would be quite strange.

Or it's a ship from a fleet.

Fixer808
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Pardom my stupid question, but are there any xenomorphs in this film? I guess not, hence the whole non-prequel thing, but I don't follow it too close
Apparently, yes. But not like we've seen before.

jmtd
01-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Hi-res stills from HD trailer
http://www.crazycritics.com/page/prometheus-movie-trailer-stills

I'm more convinced that the planet can't be LV-426. The "parked" orientation of the ship doesn't match the one found on LV-426, and the terrain is similar, but sufficiently different IMHO (roads!)

Alex of scotland
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm more convinced that the planet can't be LV-426. The "parked" orientation of the ship doesn't match the one found on LV-426, and the terrain is similar, but sufficiently different IMHO (roads!)

TERRAFORMING

Im convinced it is LV-426 and that something fucked up happens to its eco system.
The trailer does show somekind of sandstorm afterall.

Theres also some talk of that maybe the Prometheus crashes into the alien ship to stop it leaving LV-426 and that the upturned position we see it in in the trailer is not its final resting place.

Fixer808
01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Pardon me, just let me move my erection out of the way.

dlb
01-22-2012, 06:45 AM
After looking through some of Giger's books the other day I really can't wait to see IF and HOW they incorporate the Alien in some kind of form. There's lots of conceptual designs and ideas in his works that only from one of his paintings a filmmaker could develop a whole movie. I doubt that Scott & Co. will draw a lot from his paintings, but it sure would be amazing to see more of Gigers stuff in the movie.

The idea of a whole space jockey fleet is also more than amazing to me!

My only concern about this movie is this deformed guy that is leaping from the top in the teaser trailer. Looks too much like Event Horizon for my taste... Anyway, can't wait!

jmtd
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
My only concern about this movie is this deformed guy that is leaping from the top in the teaser trailer. Looks too much like Event Horizon for my taste... Anyway, can't wait!

It reminded me of Sunshine.

kdrcraig
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Same thing I thought, and Sunshine reminded me of Event Horizon.

Findus
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM

It reminded me of Space Madness. Someone probably stole his beloved ice-cream bar, with its creamy center and oh so nutty chocolate covering. Someone probably likes the same things he does..... wax paper, boiled football leather, dog breath. They're not hitchhiking anymore. They're riding.

eversonpoe
01-24-2012, 08:52 PM
"that's MY ICE CREAM BAR! i've had it since i was a child!"

Alex of scotland
01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Ah, Event Horizon.
Paul Anderson's Citizen Kane.

owinn
02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
There's a book of the Art of Prometheus you can pre-order here. (http://forbiddenplanet.com/82976-prometheus-art-of-the-film-hardcover/)

amazon.com will be releasing a special version of the book for $34.95

I shall be buying
http://dyn1.media.forbiddenplanet.com/products/82976.jpg.size-300_maxheight-300_square-true.jpg

owinn
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Scott talks Prometheus 2 and Blade Runner (Prequel/Sequel/DNAquel) (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=54317)

"I just thought Prometheus was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to Blade Runner, too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a Prometheus 2."

and on the new Blade Runner

"We’re still in discussions about whether it should be a prequel or sequel," says Scott. "It’s an interesting conversation. I’m meeting with writers and I’ve also gone back to Hampton Fancher and he still speaks the speak. He’s right there. I spoke with him this week. But we don’t even have a script yet."

"I’m not sure that that’s going to be a story point," he says concerning Deckard's possible return. "so I don’t know. But if it were, nothing would please me more. Honestly."

Also hints at Aliens Colonial Marines link to Prometheus (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/03/randy-pitchford-talks-aliens-colonial-marines-release-date-prometheus-possibilities/)

owinn
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Peter Weyland's TED 2023 Talk Video (http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/)

There are so many reasons why this is amazing...

MORE HERE

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

Prometheus just went viral then, hoorah!

dlb
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
well, look who's talking: http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/

Seems like the viral campaign is slowly gearing up for this and it makes me even more excited for the movie!

EDIT: too late. :D

owinn
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Looks like more shall bee revealed if we start hash tagging #weylandinvestors

and Damon Lindelof tweets The Weyland talk is NOT in the movie. Made just for TED. And y'all, of course.

also one of the tweets on the screens in the background of the video shows a URL -> http://bit.ly/tgwQvj

dlb
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
looks like we'll get another trailer by the end of the month:

http://www.amctheatres.com/movie-news/2012/03/exclusive-amc-theatres-20th-century-fox-livestream-present-live-q-a-with-director-ridley-scott-and-premiere-of-new-prometheus-trailer

Fixer808
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
New teaser trailer!
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/prometheus/
Full length trailer in 5 days.

theruiner
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
"Prepare to experience the new trailer"? I hope the humor of that was intentional.

Fixer808
03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Probably wasn't, unfortunately. We're jazzed enough for the movie as it is, we don't need teaser trailers for longer trailers. That said, there's a couple cool shots in there.

theruiner
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
It's just funny to me that we've gone from "prepare for the movie event of the summer" to "prepare for the event that will prepare you for the movie event of the summer."

Lutz
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I scanned over the supposed leaked script and I call fake.

Why someone would bother putting so much time into something that lazily connects together points from the trailer and photos is beyond me.

dpeters
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
I scanned over the supposed leaked script and I call fake.

Why someone would bother putting so much time into something that lazily connects together points from the trailer and photos is beyond me.

Ever wonder where those knock-off films from competing studios come from each year? The Deep Impact for every Armageddon, etc.

Now you know one factor in internet era. :D

Leviathant
03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I scanned over the supposed leaked script and I call fake. Why someone would bother putting so much time into something that lazily connects together points from the trailer and photos is beyond me.

I haven't been following that closely, but wasn't the script leaked before the trailer? I remember reading the plot to Alien:Ressurection ages before the film (or trailers) came out. It was also denounced as a fake at the time, but aside from some changes in the ending, turned out to be the real deal.

aggroculture
03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Really hope the movie is not as hammy and cheesy as that Guy Pierce clip.

Fixer808
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Ever wonder where those knock-off films from competing studios come from each year? The Deep Impact for every Armageddon, etc.

Now you know one factor in internet era. :D
And we can blame The Asylum for a lot of them. They brought out a version of War of the Worlds a week before the Tom Cruise one!

theruiner
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM
They brought out a version of War of the Worlds a week before the Tom Cruise one!I haven't seen it, but I'd be willing to bet that the Asylum version is better.

Fixer808
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm willing to bet you'd be right.

Lutz
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I haven't been following that closely, but wasn't the script leaked before the trailer? I remember reading the plot to Alien:Ressurection ages before the film (or trailers) came out. It was also denounced as a fake at the time, but aside from some changes in the ending, turned out to be the real deal.

There was a plot summary but this was an actual script.

The script I think has been contradicted already by the new trailer preview. In the script the lazer screen was built into the alien ship - in the new preview you can see that they are scanners used by the crew.

Alexandros
03-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Really hope the movie is not as hammy and cheesy as that Guy Pierce clip.

I wouldn't worry about that, I bet it's just a little something to set the mood about the Company (Weyland Industries, Weyland-Yutani or whatever) for those who don't know, and a small way to indulge the fans without actually revealing much.

Alexandros
03-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Double post for new trailer:

Clickity (http://mobile3.influxis.com/pm/viewer/viewer.aspx?stype=pre&sd_width=640&sd_height=360&sd_lo=256&sd_hi=768&hd_width=1280&hd_height=720&hd_lo=768&hd_hi=1536&fid=8G4MZaNoIs8j7HaZIJD%2FcgpZKcG5Z9CzM62oAF1ruBdB DGSfOPu71MFJtYcnpsF3aoTP5iaWQxdju6xjPFTREdSLuZfsYH 1hP052pFiIecQ%3D)

From what I gather this may not be the trailer scheduled for 17th of March, so there may be one more coming.

NIN64
03-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Clickity (http://mobile3.influxis.com/pm/viewer/viewer.aspx?stype=pre&sd_width=640&sd_height=360&sd_lo=256&sd_hi=768&hd_width=1280&hd_height=720&hd_lo=768&hd_hi=1536&fid=8G4MZaNoIs8j7HaZIJD%2FcgpZKcG5Z9CzM62oAF1ruBdB DGSfOPu71MFJtYcnpsF3aoTP5iaWQxdju6xjPFTREdSLuZfsYH 1hP052pFiIecQ%3D)

From what I gather this may not be the trailer scheduled for 17th of March, so there may be one more coming.

So sick...

Alex of scotland
03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
The trailer scheduled for tomorrow is meant to be 2.22 long.
This is not.

Hazekiah
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM

O_O

HOLY SHIT, THAT LOOKS FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Welcome back to the world of Sci-Fi, Ridley...you've been SORELY missed!!!

Anyone who's worried he's lost his touch can STFU and go find a hole to go crawl in and die now, plz.

NIN64
03-17-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.livestream.com/prometheus They are replaying the Q&A with the trailer attached to the end. It's pretty sick. . .

NIN64
03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
It's on youtube in HD already also. (http://youtu.be/HHcHYisZFLU)

thevoid99
03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
That looks great!

marodi
03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Sweet Lord that's awesome. There are the things I know I saw in that trailer and then, there are the things I think I saw.

I have three movies on my "only death can stop me from seeing this on opening day" list: The Avengers, Prometheus and The Hobbit. So far, I haven't seen or heard anything disappointing about them. I. can't. wait.

And Noomi Rapace is my new heterosexual girl crush; she looks amazing in this. So does Fassbender; I dig the blonde hair. And the slightly creepy last line of that trailer.

theruiner
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, I'm not a big Ridley Scott fan, and I still haven't seen the original Alien, but this looks AMAZING. The new trailer didn't quite grab me the way the other one did, but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm at all.

Deadpool
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the links!

I probably already said this earlier in the thread, but in a year that includes such nerdgasms as an improbable Avengers film and the finale to Nolan's Batman trilogy, I think in my heart of hearts, this is my most anticipated film of 2012. Somehow, I missed that this was gonna be a 3D movie until recently, so I'm happy to know Ridley filmed in 3D - we're finally gonna see the results of James Cameron's pitch to Ridley (which if I remember correctly helped nudge him back to sci-fi as well).

A little surprised by Guy Pearce's involvement, too. Now I know why we haven't seen him in any of the trailers. I'm just glad he's in the movie.

owinn
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
So much fan service in this trailer it's sickening and I love it. There's an Alien murial, something that looks like a chestburster being cut out of Noomi's abdomen, the massive Giger Egg Silo (or pyramid) and the space jockey suit... but it could have none of those and I'd still be pretty stoked for this new movie and for Ridley Scott.

Great Q&A by the way - Scott telling one of the guys who tweeted in to 'eff off' over calling practical effects 'old school' and proclaiming 'Ooooh YES!' to whether there would be anything like the kind of scenes of the Kane chestbursting variety in Prometheus. If this movie turns out to be bad I'm going to be gutted. But it surely can't. I mean look at all the STUFF!

onthewall2983
03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
This is going to be quite the loaded year for film all around, but this is one that I'm definitely looking forward to. I may even bite the bullet and see it in 3-D.

And seeing all the gadgetry in this trailer, as compared to the crude design of the Nostromo there isn't as much of a disconnect as I feared there would be now. All the computer keyboards and flying equipment in Alien were circa 1978 or whatever, but in my mind now it fits into how they wanted the ship to look like a run-down ship. One can imagine Weyland-Yutani building thousands of those ships, and cutting corners where needed, such as communication.

Alexandros
03-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh hell, now I'm so primed for this that I'm bound to be disappointed if the movie isn't 100% perfect! Damn you, epic trailers!!

owinn
03-18-2012, 10:32 AM

There have been about four completely different scripts 'leaked' so far. The latest one seemed really legit, however Jon Spaihts denied any involvement with any of them, the most famous one was fanfic by a guy on the IMDB forums, one was so awful it was very funny to read with lines "Looks like Sumerian or something...". The most recent I mentioned the android is called Davis and the script was titled Prometheus... Spaihts tweeted that David has always been called David and that his script was titled 'Untitled Alien Prequel'.

Of course I reckon these are all an amalgamation of speculation on forums such as AVP Galaxy. I'm treated with suspicion there though because... well... my brother's room mate worked on the movie and I've known way too much since last summer, not enough to spoil anything at all but enough to get me really excited. The synopsis I was given was simply to think of 'The Thing in space' and that the sexual imagery is really harsh in this movie (there's a few other details that totally relate to Alien but enough of that) let's not dwell on that though ... if you pause the frames of Noomi in the med pod and the 'chestburster' thing in the trailer, it looks like a giant sperm!

One last thing... if you hear any of the cast and crew talking about Thelma and Louise you may be wondering if they are taking the piss or not...

owinn
03-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Would you believe there's ANOTHER trailer out?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a9jRaa4Wkbk#!

Alex of scotland
03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, ive been watching the first trailer, the one from friday night. about halfway in theres some kind of holagram thing of a spacesuited person running down a Giger tunnel, whats that?

Also, youtube comments are full of comments for the offical trailer like "OMG Fachugger at 2.02." I do not believe this is a facehugger. maybe a primitive one, but it looks weird and there are spindly wires? The "fake" script references some kind of gray spindly creature being cut from within Shaw's abdomen.

Also, theres a cut of shaw sitting defeated on the Prometheus in her suit in front on the legs of what i believe is an un-suited Spacejockey/Engineer.

Its all terribley exciting.

Alex of scotland
03-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Of course I reckon these are all an amalgamation of speculation on forums such as AVP Galaxy.

The AVP galaxy forums seem dangerous. I mean they seem to take a theory and then run with it as if it were gospel.

I did like this thread though.... CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS!! http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=42511.0

The more i think about this the more plausible it seems.

The second image down does appear to have an elderly Peter Weyland in the background.

YKWYA
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh my god. I want to see this right fucking now. Fassbender is also one of my favorite actors right now. I really cannot wait.

owinn
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Ok, ive been watching the first trailer, the one from friday night. about halfway in theres some kind of holagram thing of a spacesuited person running down a Giger tunnel, whats that?

Oh, that's a cloaked Predator :p

In all seriousness my thoughts is that is may be something the red laser 3D mapping orbs pick up on whatever their sensors are. Perhaps it's a cloaked Jockey?

I swear that thing being cut from Shaw looks like a giant sperm squid thing.

Fixer808
03-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh holy fuckballs, this can't get here fast enough.

owinn
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I just read a good one, that the humans aren't the only ones who find an 'invitation' to the planet. That would make sense. Maybe the big blue chap is part of another team of explorers from another planet?

Alex of scotland
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm totally scared right now.

orestes
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Chills watching the new trailer.

marodi
03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
I guess everyone has seen this but in case at least one person hasn't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5P0ZGhXQDQ&feature=youtu.be

Must refrain to make jokes.

Deadpool
03-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Anyone else catch the new TV spot that aired during The Walking Dead? There was a new shot of a certain character who usually sits that was upright and walking. Wow wow wow.

Chaotix
03-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I can't ever say I was skeptical of Ridley for going with a high industrial look/feel for the film as opposed to the 1980's look, but an added fan service I love is the similarities of the hall in the Prometheus to that of the Nostromo.

Exploding Plastic
03-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Anybody spot the quick shot of the Xenomorph coming out of the wall yet.

jmtd
03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
That "mountain" for want of a better words looks a LOT like Giger's concept for the "Tank" in Dune...

Anybody spot the quick shot of the Xenomorph coming out of the wall yet.

Not me.

Anyone who's worried he's lost his touch can STFU and go find a hole to go crawl in and die now, plz.

Let's let the proof be in the pudding.

Alexandros
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Watching the "Official" trailer back to back with the "International - UK" trailer, it's fun to gauge the completely different reaction they evoke from me: With the International trailer, I'm like: "Oh hey, this seems cool, that's definitely a movie I'd be interested to see", while with the "Official" trailer, my reaction is more like: "Oh shit, SHIT, holy FUCKBALLS, I want to see this, I need to see this, shit is getting real, SHIT IS GETTING REEAAAAALLLL, THIS IS THE ALIEN (universe) MOVIE TO END ALL ALIEN (universe) MOVIES!!!11"

Exploding Plastic
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Shot of Xenomorph in new trailer:

http://cinemart-online.co.uk/2012/03/18/xenomorph-visible-in-latest-prometheus-trailer/

owinn
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
When you see Noomi praying in front of what looks like a bathroom mirror, does something pop out of her mouth ever so slightly? Is she trying to swallow something back down?

sentient02970
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
From Facebook:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422409_238045996292465_111092022321197_475314_1493 277306_n.jpg

dlb
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
When you see Noomi praying in front of what looks like a bathroom mirror, does something pop out of her mouth ever so slightly? Is she trying to swallow something back down?

Well, since she's covered in blood or some sort of brown goo and lying under a scanner one can guess that she gets impregnated/infected by something that might be some form of pre-Alien.

Also Scott hinted that we will get to see something in the vain of 1979's chestburster scene.

Anyway, those trailers got me sooo hoked! While showing so much they make you ask so many more questions. I really hope this is what we're all wishing for.

owinn
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Speaking of being hooked, the ARG is driving fans of the movies and ARGs mad.

http://www.projectprometheus.com/245409/
http://www.projectprometheus.com/eridu/

what is the password?! It is related to the number 245409 and eridu somehow. Anyone in the States want to put any of those into their phones? Maybe adding a ** before eridu.

Lutz
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/d_g_m/Picture4-1.png

So the big reveal is that the Space Jokey was always Voldemort and Sir Scott is setting us up to blow Alien vs Predator out of the water with the ultimate vs crossover ever Alien vs Harry Potter!

owinn
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/d_g_m/Picture4-1.png

So the big reveal is that the Space Jokey was always Voldemort and Sir Scott is setting us up to blow Alien vs Predator out of the water with the ultimate vs crossover ever Alien vs Harry Potter!

Oh very well played indeed. Maybe that's the password!

Fixer808
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
And seeing all the gadgetry in this trailer, as compared to the crude design of the Nostromo there isn't as much of a disconnect as I feared there would be now. All the computer keyboards and flying equipment in Alien were circa 1978 or whatever, but in my mind now it fits into how they wanted the ship to look like a run-down ship. One can imagine Weyland-Yutani building thousands of those ships, and cutting corners where needed, such as communication.
I can get behind that. Nostromo was a tow truck for an ore refinery, Prometheus looks to be a dedicated science/exploration ship. It makes sense that Dallas and crew would really only need a rudimentary "science department" and medical bay for- say- setting bones, dealing with crew illness, burns. Anything they can't handle, they chuck 'em in a cryotube.

Hula
03-20-2012, 05:53 AM
I love how Scott was basically whoring for the biggest Hollywood names he could find for this movie. If you look at all the women he considered for the lead, he was pretty clearly only going for whoever's 'in' at the moment. That and my allergy to Fassbender from overexposure make me a little wary about this...

...but I'll probably see it in some form, anyway, as I'm one of those dopes who loved all the Alien movies (even that one people don't like talking about).

orestes
03-20-2012, 06:13 AM
To be fair Fassbender was cast before he became the big shit he is right now.

Lutz
03-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Is there a possibility from looking at the trailers that the first image released from this movie was also rather cheeky in actually revealing one of the main "creatures"? A swarm of bugs? When I think about bio technology it would make total sense that a swarm of bugs could act in a very similar way to nano technology?

Emil Dorbell
03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
I love how Scott was basically whoring for the biggest Hollywood names he could find for this movie.

And he ultimately went with an unknown actress's first attempt at acting outside her first language, so do you really have a point? If he was really "whoring for who's in at the moment" this movie would star Carey Mulligan and Ryan Gosling.

Hula
03-20-2012, 07:35 AM
And he ultimately went with an unknown actress's first attempt at acting outside her first language, so do you really have a point? If he was really "whoring for who's in at the moment" this movie would star Carey Mulligan and Ryan Gosling.

She garnered a lot of fame for TGWTDT. She was also in the most recent Sherlock movie; seems to me like she's going to be pretty big soon. For all we know, the other actresses didn't want anything to do with the movie (which happens—a quick glance over the wiki tells me Fassbender himself wouldn't have been involved thanks to his agents asking for too much for his participation). If you look at the actresses slated for the role, they have so little in common with each other that it seems at first glance as though he were just plucking hot names from a hat.

To be fair Fassbender was cast before he became the big shit he is right now.

That's fair enough. I think I'm just a little sick of seeing him in everything lately, heh.

owinn
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm counting on Rafe Spall having an awesome part in this as I've noticed that very little of him is shown in the trailers... He is going to die horribly, I can tell. Digging his dorky hoodie and glasses look.

Speaking of people sporting dorky hoodie and glasses looks, here's a cool random interview with Damon Lindelof - in regards to the Alien appearance - "If you go to a Rolling Stone's show then they better play Satisfaction, even if it's just an encore"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ba_nCvYnr7Q#!

orestes
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
She garnered a lot of fame for TGWTDT. She was also in the most recent Sherlock movie; seems to me like she's going to be pretty big soon. For all we know, the other actresses didn't want anything to do with the movie (which happens—a quick glance over the wiki tells me Fassbender himself wouldn't have been involved thanks to his agents asking for too much for his participation). If you look at the actresses slated for the role, they have so little in common with each other that it seems at first glance as though he were just plucking hot names from a hat.

That's fair enough. I think I'm just a little sick of seeing him in everything lately, heh.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the studio suggesting more well-known actresses instead of Rapace. They probably used this equation:
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2010/10/Alien-3-image-1.jpg =
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf7nsnDI901qf6na4o1_400.jpg

Lutz
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Hula you are just wrong in this case.

Rapace was the only actress who was offered this role. The other actress attached to this movie for the main role was Theron and as we know that is different role.

You are confusing the casting of this movie with the casting of Dark Knight Rises Catwoman which was happening at the same time.

Vertigo
03-21-2012, 02:56 AM
Hula you are just wrong in this case.

Rapace was the only actress who was offered this role. The other actress attached to this movie for the main role was Theron and as we know that is different role.

You are confusing the casting of this movie with the casting of Dark Knight Rises Catwoman which was happening at the same time.

No, there were a few big names up for Rapace's role. I remember for sure that two were Gemma Arterton and Abbie Cornish. According to Wikipedia, the others (which I don't remember so well, this was a long time ago...) were Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman and Carey Mulligan.
And I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they were the ones courting the Prometheus production, rather than the other way round - you're talking about a franchise and director which have spawned arguably the most iconic female role in cinema history.

AgentofChaos
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Spent a good chunk of time this morning dicking around on the weylandindustries website. That corporate timeline? So fucking cool.

You really get a sense of how much work went into creating this backstory. Anyone crack the password yet?

Vertigo
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
That corporate timeline? So fucking cool.

Seconded! I love that it references miscellanea from Aliens and Alien 3, so although they've (rightly) retconned-out the AvP movies, they haven't forgotten the rest of the series.

owinn
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
projectprometheus.com/eridu password is ... 'tell Abu Shahrain' enter for some really fucking awesome wallpaper.
http://www.projectprometheus.com/eridu/img/tas.jpg

projectprometheus.com/245409 is still unknown..

Nappyp
03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Abbie Cornish.

From what I remember, she was basically in the movie up to filming. (that is as far as movie blogs/news sites go).

owinn
03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
ARG pics revealed... second one gives you a better look at the temple. It's the rejected H.R.Giger design for Dune if you ask me.

http://www.projectprometheus.com/eridu/img/tas.jpg

http://www.projectprometheus.com/245409/img/DDM2DDM2.jpg

https://www.weylandindustries.com/WeylandInvestInYourFuture.jpg

Emil Dorbell
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm annoyed by this. This just seems random, not thought out. Oil reserves are somehow enormous in the future, at the same time Norway, with its currently huge supply of oil, and very low unemployment rates, has high unemployment rates? Sweden has medium unemployment rates... why? I feel insulted by Prometheus's marketing. Damnit all to hell! :o

owinn
03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
I forgot to post their exciting financial highlights

https://www.weylandindustries.com/WeylandFinancialHighlights.jpg

Vertigo
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm annoyed by this. This just seems random, not thought out. Oil reserves are somehow enormous in the future, at the same time Norway, with its currently huge supply of oil, and very low unemployment rates, has high unemployment rates? Sweden has medium unemployment rates... why? I feel insulted by Prometheus's marketing. Damnit all to hell! :o

Well, it's measured in years to global depletion, rather than actual quantity. Oil won't be used up terribly quickly when we're all running on hydrogen fuel cells or gas turbines. Mind you, I'd imagine Norway would be a great source of usable hydrogen and natural gas...

:edit: Interesting to note that they have a "security" division rather than the weapons division referenced in the existing films, and it's their smallest earner. I wonder if this will change over the course of Prometheus, or as a consequence of its events. And, obviously, there's no Yutani merger yet.

Alex of scotland
03-23-2012, 06:09 AM

I willing to bet that the areas of high employment are where the "pictograms" mentioned in the trailer are found.
Yeah, we clearly dont need oil in the future.

Lutz
03-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah well we all know in 257 years they'll have folded anyway.

aggroculture
03-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't want to watch any trailers of this: I want to be as wowed as possible.

Vertigo
03-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah well we all know in 257 years they'll have folded anyway.

Weyland-Yutani is bought out by Wal-Mart around 2340, actually. (http://time.absoluteavp.com/time3.html)
Yes, I'm an Alien geek.

Lutz
03-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Weyland-Yutani is bought out by Wal-Mart around 2340, actually. (http://time.absoluteavp.com/time3.html)
Yes, I'm an Alien geek.

That's so Joss Whedon.

dpeters
03-23-2012, 09:17 PM

The obvious answer is that oil is no longer a primary fuel source in the future and that diminished consumption ruined the value of oil/gas reserves in those countries.

orestes
03-24-2012, 10:36 PM
io9 walks through the latest trailer for easter eggs. (http://io9.com/5894612/every-alien-easter-egg-in-the-latest-prometheus-trailers/gallery/1)

Morad
03-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Holy shit, somebody figured out the entire plot of Prometheus just by going through its trailer. (Obvious spoilers... if this is all true, of course). (http://i.imgur.com/os5iF.jpg)

(I hyperlinked to my text above, but I have no idea why the color of the text hasn't changed, so just click the text above to see it).

Conan The Barbarian
03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I just picked up the anthology on blu ray. Pumped for this.

A question. Mom is a huge alien fan. Since I have the anthology, is it safe to let the quadrilogy go? I think she would appreciate it.

onthewall2983
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh yes. The Blu-ray set spares nothing that was in the previous box set, I believe.

Findus
03-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Not sure if this theory contains any spoiler material. Most of it is my own speculation.

I remember reading last year about a giant head that pilots a ship. After watching the trailer and seeing the giant head, it makes me wonder if there's a race of alien beings that have giant heads, and the one seen in the trailer is merely a replica built by the space jockey race. This giant head replica, which is perhaps in the pyramid/hive, could be used to condition the alien offspring into seeing the giant head as a threat or enemy, perhaps if there's some mechanical feature to the head that agitates the offspring. The beings of the space jockey species condition the young xenomorphic lifeforms they are harvesting to target their enemy (giant-head race of beings) and the best infection/infiltration point is in the head/face. In Alien, it seemed like instinct when the offspring were drawn to the human faces, because the shape is so similar to the giant-head species. The giant-head folks might fly the saucer crafts, which could be the same type of crafts that have visited Earth many times throughout its history. Perhaps the giant-headed Moai statues on Easter Island were built by the Rapa Nui as a tribute to the gods from the sky. The giant-heads might be guardians of the humans, and perhaps related to human beings, seeing as how the giant-head statue bears a strong resemblance to a human head. The giant-heads might have many planets that they have planted their DNA upon, and the space jockeys might be doing the same throughout the galaxy. We see a jockey's ship crash, and I'm more inclined to think one of the saucers took it down, as opposed to the Prometheus, which is an expedition ship. It's certainly possible the Prometheus takes it down with its own weaponry, but I'd prefer to think the humans are caught in the middle of an ongoing war of a much grander scale.

Alexandros
03-26-2012, 03:50 AM
I've been actively avoiding all the hypothetical plot outlines/trailer analyses ever since they started becoming very particular (even so I'm afraid that too much got through already). I don't understand why people try so hard to spoil their own experience. Because that's how I see this: In a movie where NOT knowing what is going to happen is at least half the suspense, why do people try so much to guess it all beforehand? Especially when there are few things that can surprise us anymore in the cinema and in a mythology already presented to us more or less. Imagine if there was such an extensive analysis for Alien before it came out, would it have such an impact on audiences? At least Alien had the benefit of a relatively "innocent" type of audience in terms of sci-fi thriller. Prometheus doesn't even have that! The trailers alone have shown me more than I would like (not that I didn't enjoy them immensly).

This is not a rant by the way, although it sounds like one. I'm just genuinely curious about all those undoubtedly enthusiastic Alien fans who expect to rediscover this terrifying Alien element in Prometheus, while at the same time doing everything they can to rob themselves of the experience.

jmtd
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Hear hear!

Alex of scotland
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
You may find, Having seen Alien, will rob you of that of that original terrifying experience.
The online games are not going to blow important plot twists. The Lost game never divulged any plot details.

Otherwise I respect your point.

owinn
03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
You may find, Having seen Alien, will rob you of that of that original terrifying experience.
The online games are not going to blow important plot twists. The Lost game never divulged any plot details.

Otherwise I respect your point.

It's amazing that we've seen so much but know so very little about this movie.

dlb
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
^ this!

I bought Empire magazine the day and it's ridiciulous how much info they are giving away, but the whole thing still remains somewhat a mystery. I can't wait for the release to come!
I also pre-ordered the art book a while ago. I hope it's as great as the ones for Alien and Species and shows some new Giger material although the mentioned article states that while he was involved in Prometheus he did not do the most design work for the film.

Alexandros
04-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Well, yes, that's what I'm saying. We already have an idea what to expect, so all this guesswork and analysis of the exact possible plot is not going to help the situation. I'm not talking about the Weyland website, I'm talking about the fans trying to piece the story together by using all the information available from trailers, set photos and leaked information.

onthewall2983
04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Guess who wants to direct the sequel (http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/report-james-cameron-wants-to-return-for-prometheus)

Hazekiah
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
^ Not happening.

UPDATE: Insiders tell me that James Cameron was making a slightly humorous off handed comment about making a Prometheus sequel and they’d be surprised if it amounted to anything, considering how busy the director will be preoccupied with Avatar sequels.

onthewall2983
04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I was going to ask for a link, but realized it was from mine. I need to read more slowly.

orestes
04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2657q2khO1qet9hvo1_400.png

eversonpoe
04-08-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DCq7XJbah0s

owinn
04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
The planet Prometheus lands on is not going to be LV 426 it's going to be LV 233 (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1316814/prometheus_preview_footage_screening_and_qa_our_re action.html) preview sounded positive.

New production stills (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1318553/newly_released_prometheus_stills_reveal_a_hint_of_ giger.html) featuring the ships's 3D map of the temple, a new shot of the Prometheus and finally what looks to be a cocooned giant and somebody in egg morphing pose to his right.

and for me, the coolest part - a picture of the ship with some main specs. Oh god, it is the sexiest ship I've seen since R-Type's ships.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/prometheus-20120411024035994.jpg

sentient02970
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I've fallen in love with this movie before I've even seen it. The awful part of that is my infatuation with all of the teasing foreplay seems to be slowly chipping away at the lovely surprises awaiting me in the final act. I don't think I'm alone there.

PS: yes I haven't gotten any in a long time

Fixer808
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Oh god, it is the sexiest ship I've seen since R-Type's ships.
I have to agree, it's pretty sick!
http://www.denofgeek.com/siteimage/scale/800/600/323969.png

aggroculture
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
The last 12 minutes??? Sheesh.

Lutz
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
It's also been confirmed (in the April issue of FilmInk Magazine who did a set visit) that the big head is a statue of the spacejockey face.

owinn
04-13-2012, 06:29 AM
There's a Verizon sponsored Prometheus mini game (http://www.verizonsweeps2.com/?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_E_DO_N_X042) that allows you to tour the ship. Warning though, there is apparently a pretty significant spoiler within, I've been told it's nothing to do with the creatures on the movie or anything like that but has more to do with Guy Pearce's character.There are screenshots of the interior of the ship (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=42944.0) here including one of Vicker's "luxury" quarters...
It's also been confirmed (in the April issue of FilmInk Magazine who did a set visit) that the big head is a statue of the spacejockey face.There was another spoiler I read about 'the head' in one of the previews I read recently... not enough to really ruin the movie but enough that now I know to avoid any more Prometheus news until release from now on. See you in June!

theruiner
04-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I can't get over how awesome that ship looks.

owinn
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Okay, fuck it. This is too cool not to post.

Don't make David cry :'(

http://youtu.be/_ez7GrzS8nw

marodi
04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
^^

Sweet Lord, Fassbender is good. And I still find David a bit creepy. I'm not sure why though; maybe it's the fact that he's an android in a Ridley Scott Alien related movie...

onthewall2983
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
After being rather "meh" about the recent 3D resurgence, I'm utterly convinced now that this the only way I should watch it in theaters.

owinn
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
^^

Sweet Lord, Fassbender is good. And I still find David a bit creepy. I'm not sure why though; maybe it's the fact that he's an android in a Ridley Scott Alien related movie...

David 8 has a wide range of emotions. (https://www.weylandindustries.com/site/davidreveal) Joy is a particularly odd/creepy/special smile :]

Heh, I nearly forgot that Ridley Scott used to be an ad man.

Alexandros
04-18-2012, 02:17 AM
It's a great video. I find the contrast between David saying he can perform tasks that humans find "distressing or unethical" and him (it?) saying that "unnecessary violence" makes him sad very interesting. Also, I get the impression that they have made Fassbender's face a little more angular and symmetrical, and that his jawline is very accentuated. If that is the case, they've done a very good job of giving him a very slight artificial air. And Fassbender himself of course is right on the money.

theruiner
04-18-2012, 02:23 AM
After being rather "meh" about the recent 3D resurgence, I'm utterly convinced now that this the only way I should watch it in theaters.I'm with you. I've yet to see a 3D movie where the 3D was actually good, but this I am going to see in 3D.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-18-2012, 03:14 AM
I've seen movies where the 3-D could be called 'good', but none where it was even remotely necessary and plenty where it was detrimental.

I will not see 'Prometheus' in 3-D.

owinn
04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
I've seen movies where the 3-D could be called 'good', but none where it was even remotely necessary and plenty where it was detrimental.

I will not see 'Prometheus' in 3-D.

If you dislike 3D see it in 2D, if you don't mind it or quite enjoy the technology, see it in 3D. It's a fairly simple choice as there will be versions of both to watch. There are movies where I thought 3D was used to enhance an already great movie, such as in Toy Story 3 where while watching that in the cinema I could really get a sense of scale and depth and being as small as some of the toys. That's probably the only time I've been impressed by 3D. Avatar was like a tech demo and everything else has been pretty much added as an afterthought or just overused - A Christmas Carol was ridiculous.

From what I've read about Scott's work on Prometheus is that it is going to be used in a way that he hopes enhances the experience - and seeing as this is Ridley Scott working on a sci-fi movie I'm sensing more than an ounce of confidence that what he is saying about 3D being a wonderful tool when used correctly and thoughtfully with RED cameras etc is truthful.

But then people don't like 3D for a host of reasons, some reasons are like those who didn't like talkies or colour or HD or on-demand because they feel that technology somehow cheapens the artform and it can do when it's used to ill effect, but we all know if you give the right artist the right tools then wonderful things can happen. But in this case Scott has made a point of making this in 3D and has gone as far as saying "Eff off!" to a fan who refers to his practical effects as old school. Which is another point... about 80% of this movie is going to be sets... they BUILT the whole ship, Prometheus as if they were building the real thing, you could walk around in it and live in it if you wanted to. This isn't going to be a 3D CGI feast like Avatar was.

Call me a fool but I shall be seeing it in 3D to make up my own mind and see if I can't give movies filmed using this technique a second chance.

jmtd
04-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but I'll probably see it in 3D and 2D.

onthewall2983
04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
It's not crazy, I might be doing that, too. 3D first, then 2D.

Deadpool
04-21-2012, 02:04 PM

I think the use of "necessary", in this context, under the umbrella of Entertainment has to be omitted from our language. What would necessary use of 3D be? What's necessary use of color in a movie? Is sound or music even necessary? It wasn't necessary to use color in The Wizard of Oz, but it enhanced the experience. It wasn't necessary to film or present Avatar in 3D, but it heightened the level of immersion. A movie in and of itself is not necessary. We all know film making is about storytelling above all. Ideally, one wants to be lost in the story, and (when done well) 3D can accelerate that feeling - it doesn't provide it (again, that's the story's responsibility), but it can be supportive. Like you said, it can just as easily be detrimental, too. It's a tricky device because if you paid for it, you want to recognize it, but you don't want it to be so apparent that you're constantly acknowledging the artificiality of what you're watching.

I totally get the backlash, and most arguments are valid, but I'm still pretty excited by the technology. Speaking as a movie-goer, it's fucking expensive, and not always fulfilling, but I like that it puts people in the theater. I've had varied experiences, but seeing the last trailer for The Avengers in 3D got me all riled up again (and that wasn't even filmed with 3D cameras). In Ridley's enthusiastic hands I think there will be some notable 3D sequences in Prometheus.

Regardless of the amount of Ds present, this will be an incredible film!

Lutz
04-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Herzog's documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a good example I can think of where 3D greatly enhanced the experience.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-22-2012, 01:17 AM
What's necessary use of color in a movie? Is sound or music even necessary? It wasn't necessary to use color in The Wizard of Oz, but it enhanced the experience. It wasn't necessary to film or present Avatar in 3D, but it heightened the level of immersion. A movie in and of itself is not necessary. We all know film making is about storytelling above all. Ideally, one wants to be lost in the story, and (when done well) 3D can accelerate that feeling - it doesn't provide it (again, that's the story's responsibility), but it can be supportive. Like you said, it can just as easily be detrimental, too. It's a tricky device because if you paid for it, you want to recognize it, but you don't want it to be so apparent that you're constantly acknowledging the artificiality of what you're watching.
Man, if I had a dollar for every advocate who strained to draw comparison between 3-D and the sound and color. Both of the latter developments were huge, major, adding substantially more information to the film. They were as significant as being once deaf and now able to hear, or evolution of the eye from something that can detect the existence of light but not wavelength to one issuing forth images as vivid and real as we now experience. From interspersed dialogue/action cards to fluent parallel dialogue and embedded music, from shades of grey to yellow roads and pink elephants and blood in all manners of red; these were enormous changes that exploded the artform.

But 3-D is more like going from one eye to two, adding depth perception to the same image. It's clearly a change, clearly affects the experience of 'seeing' the movie, but not so much that of 'watching' it, as filmmakers have always been able to play with space and have always been able to convey their images in a way that implies the third dimension, our brains construct the extra dimension as we watch, even if it isn't present in the 'flat' frame. The vast deserts stretching off to the distant horizon in Lawrence of Arabia, or the huge green or snow-white mountains in Lord of the Rings were not harmed nor made less real somehow by their limited medium. This is why the format has been met with some ambivalence by so many directors and cinematographers: we've already been 3-D.

With the new '3-D' the effect is overt to the eye, but it brings with it new problems, including a current technical one that muddles any fast action, and a practical one that a very large minority of the audience is incapable of perceiving the stereoscopic image. And there are other issues.

But the point is, no: the advent of 3-D is not comparable to sound or color.

Speaking as a movie-goer...I like that it puts people in the theater.
Except it doesn't put people in theaters. 3-D attendance has never really been what it's cracked up to be, and it—and enthusiasm and acceptance for the technology from movie-goers—has been declining steadily. When programmed against an equivalent schedule for the same feature without the enhancement, attendance for the 3-D version is almost always (exception being only, as far as I can remember, Avatar) lower, and often significantly so. People coming to the theater attest to feeling cheated when prime show times are given to 3-D versions of a film. The big story in 3-D has always been in revenues (especially on the production side: printing thousands of 35mm prints for exhibition costs tens of millions of dollars), enabling NATO and the MPAA to talk up growth in industry with new box-office records while attendance continues its yearly decline.

Lutz
04-23-2012, 04:20 AM
The "latter developments" in your example became huge over time from people experimenting with the new format. Your comparison doesn't make any argument against the format at all and it certainly doesn't serve up any points of contradiction as to why this is an invalid format.

I think if I was to make a comparison I would compare the use of 3D on Avatar to the use of surround sound on the original Star Wars. You can certainly apply everything you said regarding why 3D is not necessary to surround sound as well.

And lets not forget the most amazing reason for 3D - DARIO ARGENTO'S DRACULA 3D aka DARIO ARGENTO'S ASIA ARGENTO'S TITS PART V;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oemn4VbbFg

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
The "latter developments" in your example became huge over time from people experimenting with the new format.
No. Part of the point was that those were such huge advancements by their very nature rather than as a result of how they were used. What they represented in terms of possibilities is beyond comparison with 3-D.

Lutz
04-24-2012, 06:45 AM
No. Part of the point was that those were such huge advancements by their very nature rather than as a result of how they were used. What they represented in terms of possibilities is beyond comparison with 3-D.

Of course the fallacy in your argument is that you were the one who decided to frame your opinion of 3D based on it's ability to advance filmmaking. Any of the advocates you speak about who strain to make a comparison for you do so because it was a tenuous leap to make to begin with.

owinn
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Herzog's documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a good example I can think of where 3D greatly enhanced the experience.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is brought up time and time again in regards to the production of this movie, I've not seen it but it seems Scott holds it in high regard.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Of course the fallacy in your argument is that you were the one who decided to frame your opinion of 3D based on it's ability to advance filmmaking. Any of the advocates you speak about who strain to make a comparison for you do so because it was a tenuous leap to make to begin with.
No, I responded directly to Deadpool regarding the comparison of 3-D against sound and color (a very, very common comparison between those pushing the technology), speaking more explicitly in terms of what each represents and, only briefly, the additional limitations of 3-D. You then replied noting sound and color became a big deal after experimentation (i.e., 'possibilities' yet unexplored), to which I pointed out that this isn't the case and such a point was implicit in my original complaint. Judging our current 3-D 'based on its ability to advance filmmaking' is not a frame I chose or one I would favor, and those who promote the tech on those speculative terms are carefully vague to ward off specific criticism.

Deadpool
04-26-2012, 01:45 AM
I don't disagree with anything you've said, Corvus. Honestly, my post was an expression of a pet-peeve that went off the rails: is there really such thing as necessary 3D?

OK: sound and color are incomparable advances in motion picture. That's undeniable. 3D pales next to those major steps (if it can even be put in the same category): it's overly dim, it causes headaches, it's extra-expensive, it's unpopular with audiences, et cetera. It's more light and gimmicky than game-changing. Still, I don't care whether we're talking about movies, TV, comics, or theater - calling something "(un)necessary" when it comes to being entertained is just lazy communication.

I'm not pushing the tech. so much as I'm pushing it's use from people of Scott's talent, or James Cameron's passion.

When you've got a legendary director taking his first stab at a developing tech. and applying it to his first sci-fi film in decades, that's pretty fucking cool. If Ridley's first 3D film was a Kingdom of Heaven sequel, I wouldn't care as much (though I do love me some Kingdom of Heaven). It's simply fun and exciting that Ridley's long-awaited return to science-fiction is also his inaugural 3D voyage. The final effect could be incredibly underwhelming (among other things), but at least the film itself is looking damn promising.

You could tell the directors of all the recent Marvel movies were kind of bullied into converting their films, but Scott is genuinely intrigued by 3D, and that's more than enough to get me to fork over the extra bones. I guess the important thing is that we're still lucky enough to choose what format we want to pay for. Hooray choice!

Also, the LA Times' Hero Complex started a YouTube show, and their first episode is an interview with Ridley. I love hearing him talk about movies from a fine art perspective, and in relation to storyboards. Makes me all happy inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnAiIqWsyAo

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-26-2012, 03:53 AM
"(un)necessary"
Here's the reason I think it's unnecessary: for me, at least, and for some but not all others, it contributes less than nothing to the experience.

A few years ago Jeffrey Katzenberg stood before us at a NATO meeting in Hollywood and talked for a long time about how important and new and revolutionary 3-D was. This was the future, he said, and he rolled out the ol' comparison to sound and color. He said it would make films more powerful, engaging, emotional experiences, even in retrofit: he said specifically that, among a few other titles I don't remember, The Godfather and A Man For All Seasons would benefit and become better films by being (again, retrofitted) in 3-D. I was like, this guy has no idea, which seems silly because, you know, he's Jeffrey Katzenberg. But he really doesn't. Later on when new and old movies were receiving the ret-con 3-D and bombing in the box office, he talked about how they weren't doing it right, were lazy with the process, etc. Finally he came out and said he feels 3-D treatment in post would kill the new tech and advised against it. In interviews he never talked about the quality of the movies using the tech, just the tech itself and whether he felt it was properly utilized (mostly according to this metric, as far as I can tell: if it made good money, it was good work).

Something that's really hard to do because we can't un-see the seen and un-know the known and then after contrast independent, personal, fresh experiences, is to watch a movie in both formats. The best we're able to do is watch one and then the other and try to give each a fair shake. And I feel I've done this with a few titles, sometimes with the 3-D version first and others the normal, and I've come to the conclusion: 3-D means fuck-all for how much I actually like a thing. Again aside from the technical annoyances, I found Avatar no less visually splendorous in two dimensions after having seen it in three. Toy Story 3 was not more funny or poignant or wonderful or visually stimulating because its second review had an extra 'D'. The vertigo-inducing sequences in Up were vertigo-inducing in either format. And so on.

When a movie is done well enough to actually draw you in, the format becomes invisible. Great story doesn't need it, great acting doesn't care. And as a visual matter 3-D is unnecessary because our minds normally infer three-dimensionality. We don't need it to build out our sense of space, because we already recognize space in the film. It's useful in those moments where something's flying at the screen, but I don't know anyone sees these moments as better than cheap gimmicks...that tend to pull one out of the experience for an Oh right, I'm watching a movie moment, literally interrupting engagement with the material. So why do we need it?

NOW the technical problems come in. If I can watch great film with or without, why am I paying more and wearing these obnoxious glasses? If the action is mind-boggling in either case, why am I watching this dimmer version that has obvious judder during movement? If most of the features being released look awful and are poor movies besides, why do I want to keep dropping my money on them, sending the signal to studios that this is something I want more of? Higher frame rates and other tweaks may eliminate some of the image problems, but that still leaves us paying more to wear glasses for something utterly divorced from the actual quality of the feature. And even if Prometheus turns out to be the best argument yet for 3-D (I guess it's possible), supporting it here still only plays into the studio/exhibitor impulse that audiences want 3-D, beyond consideration of movie quality (trust me: I'm nearly blind from face-palming at their e-mails).

So I say it's unnecessary. So I say plenty of the time it's actually detrimental. I find most of the enthusiasm even now comes from the angle of what how it might be used in the future, the possibility that the 3-D grass will be greener. There's a lot of "Well, Avatar was pretty neat, but I'm looking forward to some great film artist getting his or her hands dirty finding out what this thing can really do." And I'm saying: I don't think so.

Hey, if it works for you, great. But I'm still calling it unnecessary.

...or James Cameron's passion.
Well, I'd take Cameron's enthusiasm with a bale of salt. Avatar didn't exactly have much meat on its bones, and Cameron's got a big vested financial interest in the success of 3-D: the Cameron Pace Group (a company he co-founded with Vincent Pace) makes its money selling 3-D equipment and software, and he's more or less going for broke on it with his future projects (Avatar 2, 3, and possibly 4).

EDIT: David Bordwell made a great blog post a few days ago covering a few of the same points, including the bit about the Cameron Pace Group. Bordwell's a reliably excellent writer on film (Ebert, for one, worships the guy; the blog, co-authored with Kristin Thompson, is called 'Observations on Film Art'). I came to discover his work through this excellent piece examining a shot from There Will Be Blood (http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2008/02/13/hands-and-faces-across-the-table/). Anyway, I thought I'd share:

Every spring the National Organization of Theatre Owners holds a convention and trade show in Las Vegas. It’s now called CinemaCon, but in earlier times it was known as ShoWest. The gathering assembles thousands of exhibitors from around the world. Directors and stars show up to publicize summer and fall releases. There are screenings, award ceremonies, display booths, and panels about everything from sound systems to popcorn pricing.

The convention is always an extravaganza, but in 2005 things were particularly stirring. Then fewer than a hundred US screens were digital. To ShoWest 2005 came three of the most financially successful directors in history: George Lucas, James Cameron, and Robert Zemeckis. Robert Rodriguez joined them, and Peter Jackson participated in a prerecorded video clip. Their mission: to sell digital cinema.

Cameron and company knew that the exhibitors needed a rationale for switching that would actually enhance their business. The killer app for digital screening, these directors and others had decided, was 3D.

(more) (http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2012/04/22/its-good-to-be-the-king-of-the-world)

owinn
04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
BOOORING!

All booked, centre row at the BFI IMAX opening weekend! BOOK NOW!
(http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/node/26455?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120426-prometheus&utm_content=20120426-prometheus+CID_d1ce28d49364038173597fbf49195aa0&utm_source=cm&utm_term=Book+now)
also this

http://youtu.be/tsYej64A3tA

dlb
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
aw fuck, whenever some new footage hits the web I'm dry humping my desk. This looks too good to be real.

Unused Giger Dune concept art now finally realised in Prometheus? Hell yes!

EDIT: And a new trailer this Saturday: http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1128874/

jmtd
04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Hm. I read that as the existing trailer + some screened tweet responses, not new footage.

dlb
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
You're right, but it also says "world premiere" and I've seen the trailer fairly often on television by now. We'll see.

Deadpool
04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey, if it works for you, great. But I'm still calling it unnecessary.

Fair enough. Christopher Nolan recently pointed out how, like you said, 3D is essentially a misnomer. It's a good observation, and a powerful one from an A-list guy like himself. If nothing else, it's certainly interesting to see a lot of major directors take a stance on these current trends.

Well, I'd take Cameron's enthusiasm with a bale of salt. Avatar didn't exactly have much meat on its bones, and Cameron's got a big vested financial interest in the success of 3-D: the Cameron Pace Group...

David Bordwell made a great blog post a few days ago covering a few of the same points, including the bit about the Cameron Pace Group. Bordwell's a reliably excellent writer on film (Ebert, for one, worships the guy; the blog, co-authored with Kristin Thompson, is called 'Observations on Film Art'). I came to discover his work through this excellent piece examining a shot from There Will Be Blood (http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2008/02/13/hands-and-faces-across-the-table/). Anyway, I thought I'd share.

Good stuff. Thanks for the link.

Now enough of this 3D talk. I'm gonna work on my David 8 impression.

owinn
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
aw fuck, whenever some new footage hits the web I'm dry humping my desk. This looks too good to be real.

Unused Giger Dune concept art now finally realised in Prometheus? Hell yes!

EDIT: And a new trailer this Saturday: http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1128874/

Feels kinda dirty it's on Brand Republic...

Lutz
04-28-2012, 06:49 AM
(I've got my ticket.)

WorzelG
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Just saw the trailer for this in the adverts of Homeland in the UK along with a load of Twitter responses in the next ad break. Exciting trailer, might actually be the first film I go to see at the cinema since The Social Network. (I have 2 kids and don't ger out much these days)

scotty79
04-29-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't wait to see this fucking movie

orestes
04-29-2012, 05:25 PM
International launch trailer.

http://youtu.be/1byZkbNB3Jw

theruiner
04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I can't even wrap my head around how awesome this looks.

Fixer808
04-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't care that this is basically the entire movie in 3 minutes, I have to change my pants now.

owinn
04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Space cobra! Space jockey! Space axe!
That was amazing.

Fixer808
04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I posted the trailer to Facebook, and my friend's response really said it best: "Ok, this looks good. Like, shit your pants to death type good."

dlb
04-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Huge boner right now for this!

And I don't think that it gives away too much. While it gives away alot, but still there's so much left to discover. What is Charlize Theron's character all about? What happens to Rapace to be all sweaty and praying? Is the face melting dude really dead? What are the holographic Space Jockeys running away from? Is that space ship the same we see in the original Alien? Is there a whole fleet? What has mankind got to do with the Jockeys? What's the big stone-face all about? Where is Weyland? And finally, will we get to see the Xenomorph in some kind way?

What intrigues me most is that every crew member individually seems to be suffering from something bad. Cobra/worm thing, acid to the face, some kind of C-section performed, mutation, worm in the eye etc.

I'm waaaaay to excited for this!

Findus
04-30-2012, 05:24 AM
I'd like to see a spoof of the classic Maxell ad, but with the space jockey sitting in his chair in place of the dude in his chair. Of course the space butler would have to be of the proper scale.

owinn
04-30-2012, 05:47 AM
1080p trailer

http://youtu.be/J7GQvXuQJVI

dlb
04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I just stumbled upon this which is basically the trailer above but with minor (more brutal) changes in the second half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vep18CsW5T0

After seeing this I'm burrying my worries that this wont be an R rated movie.

owinn
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
That... was gross.

Here's an extended behind the scenes feature :)

http://youtu.be/CzTY_o44qcg

Fixer808
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Charlize Theron's demeanor in these trailers makes me think she's Weyland's newest model...

konstantin
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
are they also planning to release a video game that will basically feature footage from the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1byZkbNB3Jw

owinn
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Well... umm the Derelict in Aliens Colonial Marines had to go through a few changes to tie in with the movie I believe ;)

Some guy posted some comparison shots of Prometheus and Lawrence of Arabia (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43225.0) - Weyland is a big T.E.Lawrence fan. There's also some comparisons to Full Metal Jacket there but those are mainly for laughs.

Charlize Theron's demeanor in these trailers makes me think she's Weyland's newest model...

Well, Damon Lindelof was quoted very early on in the production of this movie when somebody asked if there would be androids, he said "Yes. There might even be two"

One other thing... looks like at least part of this movie will be set during Christmas! Scroll through this Spoilerific cast list (http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/credits-list/) to see a list of songs including Christmas carols and the original Alien theme. Good to see O'Bannon , Sushett and Giger getting full credits, most of this movie looks like the stuff left out of the original Alien script.

EDIT

LOOKS AS THOUGH SCOTT COULDN'T RESIST GIVING HIS MISSUS A ROLE! AGAIN! (http://www.imdb.com/list/44lO9kbDu1A/)

http://www.hartfordmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ridley-scott-cigar-300x300.jpg

Findus
05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

M. Night Shyamalan is writing/directing the sequel, Prometheodes, with the big twist at the end being.... spoiler: all of the humans are actually androids.

Since there isn't a dedicated Alien thread, I figure here's a good place to post this link. It's a fantastic compilation of memories from people who worked on Alien. There are seven pages of video and photographic content, with videos on just the first four.

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html

It's almost like a special edition of Alien Vault. Speaking of books, I see there's another behind-the-scenes book coming out later this month that also features a lot of concept art and photos, along with interviews. I can't imagine it has much more, if anything, aside from interviews, than Vault.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Alien-Paul-Scanlon/dp/1852864834/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335900868&sr=8-2

dlb
05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Someone told me that both books are pretty much the same while Alien Vault is a more updated version of the book of Alien.

owinn
05-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Guillermo Del Toro has posted a blog (http://www.deltorofilms.com/wp/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454) on why Prometheus has basically caused him to think and stop pursuing production of At The Mountains Of Madness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness)

I think that, if Prometheus does well, then Del Toro shouldn't shy away from it. I think there will be much that is different in Scott's movie but there are certainly obvious comparisons that people are expecting from Prometheus.

Alexandros
05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Guillermo Del Toro has posted a blog (http://www.deltorofilms.com/wp/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454) on why Prometheus has basically caused him to think and stop pursuing production of At The Mountains Of Madness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness)

I thought he had abandoned that project for some time now. If not, I would hate it if he decides Prometheus is the reason to drop it. I mean, come on GDT! Sure there are similarities, but At The Mountains of Madness has enough to keep it separate.

On topic: June can't come fast enough.

onthewall2983
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
It's probably not of much help that he's possibly trying to set this up at Fox.

owinn
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
SPOILER ALERT - HORRIFIC AUDIO FILE
HOLY.FUCKING.SHIT (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10954836/Reverse.mp3)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

http://youtu.be/C7zRNxiYLZA

Someone told me that both books are pretty much the same while Alien Vault is a more updated version of the book of Alien.
Got Alien Vault and the Anthology Blu Rays for my birthday last year. All come together beautifully.

jmtd
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I just stumbled upon this which is basically the trailer above but with minor (more brutal) changes in the second half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vep18CsW5T0

After seeing this I'm burrying my worries that this wont be an R rated movie.

"this video is private."

sentient02970
05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Any film with an excited "Cut it off!!" line is a must see in my book.

NIN64
05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
SPOILER ALERT - HORRIFIC AUDIO FILE
HOLY.FUCKING.SHIT (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10954836/Reverse.mp3)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

http://youtu.be/C7zRNxiYLZA

I have no doubt that this audio is from Prometheus, and yes spoilers indeed. Do we have any idea where this audio leaked from?

owinn
05-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Leaked by who else but the FOX marketing team! (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2012/05/02/new-prometheus-images-audio-puzzle/) It was an 'audio puzzle', it was chopped up and reversed in places and the audio above is an attempt at putting the puzzle together.

Those guys are going to end up leaking the whole movie on The Pirate Bay at this rate.

owinn
05-03-2012, 03:59 PM
So The Hobbit is getting a great deal of stick for being filmed at 48fps... what do you guys make of this then:

http://i.imgur.com/gmWb0.jpg

dlb
05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I know shit about frames and stuff, but following the argument on the Hobbit I have never heard anything similar about Prometheus. And there are footage screenings and a shit load of trailers by now, so I assume some one must have had a go at them filming at this rate. If that photo is real of course... And while the Hobbit screenings brought up a huge shitstorm you hear nothing but how awesome Prometheus looks on screen.

Maybe the footage they shot through the eyes of the crew (helmet cam etc.) were shot at this rate to give it a different look.

owinn
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I know shit about frames and stuff, but following the argument on the Hobbit I have never heard anything similar about Prometheus. And there are footage screenings and a shit load of trailers by now, so I assume some one must have had a go at them filming at this rate. If that photo is real of course... And while the Hobbit screenings brought up a huge shitstorm you hear nothing but how awesome Prometheus looks on screen.

Maybe the footage they shot through the eyes of the crew (helmet cam etc.) were shot at this rate to give it a different look.
I think you're spot on, also I think that it may be used for slo-mo scenes.

in other news:
Prometheus breaks IMAX presale records (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-prometheus-breaks-IMAX-record-320348)

dlb
05-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Yet again Prometheus and the Hobbit are both shot with the RED camera. I don't know, but is that the standard frame rate of this kind of camera? Which other movies are shot with it? Can't remember if I've already seen one.

Torgo
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Yet again Prometheus and the Hobbit are both shot with the RED camera. I don't know, but is that the standard frame rate of this kind of camera? Which other movies are shot with it? Can't remember if I've already seen one.

This is not the standard framerate at all for films - off the top of my head I don't really think I can point you in the direction of a film recorded at 48fps that wasn't converted down to 24fps. Red cameras can shoot a wide variety of frame rates including 48fps. 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' was shot on a Red camera as well (the Epic and One), but that was at standard framerate.

If you want to test out what it looks like - download these clips: http://maximum-attack.com/basement_red_fps.zip

(I posted this link also in the Hobbit thread...) One clip is filmed on a Red at 48fps, the other is downconverted to 24fps.

A possibility for this specific movie - though - is that they filmed some scenes at 48fps in order to downconvert and/or create a more seamless slow motion scene (since there are more frames to effectively slow down time with the extra detail in each frame). A lot of action films do this as well, when in the end - the footage always comes out to be 24fps.

Goldfoot
05-05-2012, 03:26 PM
^^I downloaded that file last night to compare, but then realized I wouldn't be able to see a difference since my monitor only runs at 60hz.

kdrcraig
05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
The trailer for this played before The Avengers in the IMAX, it looked amazing.

Lutz
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
For slow mo they film 48 fps and then play it at 26 fps.

Wong Kar Wai uses this for smoking scenes in his movies all the time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elq_W1WF5rw

Fixer808
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
The trailer for this played before The Avengers in the IMAX, it looked amazing.
I didn't see it in IMAX, so what did I get? 2 car ads and one trailer. For the new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie. That looks exactly the same as every Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie. FUCKING FUCK YOU, PARK THEATER.

Vertigo
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Earth comes to a halt and gawps as Fox actually does something decent. Prometheus is rated R, folks.

Fixer808
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Figured it would be, based on the trailers!

NIN64
05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
This is cool and all, but we haven't gotten any confirmation from the studio or the MPAA. What most people don't realize is that the rating on the ticket prints out to be whatever the General Manager at any specific movie theatre punches into the scheduling program...

dlb
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
amazon.de has it listed for 16 year olds which is in vain of the other Alien movies. Good news, but as Fixer808 already said it was quite evident from the latest trailer. Still Fox seemed uncertain whether to cut it or not. Eventually they gave in and trusted the fans and of course Ridley. Can't wait to see it although I have to hold my breath until August... :(

dlb
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
double post

dlb
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
This is cool and all, but we haven't gotten any confirmation from the studio or the MPAA. What most people don't realize is that the rating on the ticket prints out to be whatever the General Manager at any specific movie theatre punches into the scheduling program...

"20th Century Fox has confirmed Prometheus will be rated R for “sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language."

http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

But yeah, still no 100% proof until I read an official statement.

NIN64
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
"20th Century Fox has confirmed Prometheus will be rated R for “sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language."

http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

But yeah, still no 100% proof until I read an official statement.

Sweet. I read that article this afternoon before that confirmation update. Pretty psyched about this. I'm really hoping that this movie shocks modern desensitized theatre audiences like Alien did back in 1979!

owinn
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting - though according to IMAX here in the UK it's going to be a 15 rating. To put that into perspective, Alien is an 18 rated movie.

jmtd
05-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Interesting - though according to IMAX here in the UK it's going to be a 15 rating. To put that into perspective, Alien is an 18 rated movie.

Terminator was too, but standards change and it was recently reclassified as a 15.

dlb
05-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Ratings are a mess and tend to chance from country to country and from time to time.

All the Alien movies except for AvP:R received a rating for 16 year olds in Germany which is what Prometheus will be getting, too. On the other hand there are movies that are R rated in the UK, but get a 12 year old rating over here and vice versa.

But yeah, judging from the latest trailer and the overall synopsis of the movie, I think we're in for a thrilling ride. And some well put violence works better and more harrowing than a typical X rated (is that even a proper rating anymore?) slasher.

dlb
05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
and here's final proof that it is rated r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFMWQ8RM3WU

Fixer808
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
^^ Salivating. It's so close now!

Lutz
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
The difference in R rating between countries is normally for sex content though.

Foreign movies that have mild sexual content tend to get an R rating in the US even when they are PG elsewhere.

Alexandros
05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Damn it, I even had a dream about the movie yesterday! I don't recall it exactly, but I think it was mostly scenes I have already seen in the trailer with a bit of embelishment of my own, and it was terrifying! I really, really want to be disturbed by this movie.