PDA

View Full Version : Best Movies of 2012

ManBurning
12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ok, someone here has to start this thread, and instead of waiting for someone else to do it, here we go!

I don't have much to bring to the table, so I appologize... hence why I have been waiting for the start of this thread, so I can find out about some rare good movies that came out this year.

I always look forward to the "best movies of the year" thread here at ETS, so... let's get the ball rolling folks! Start Listing!

The only 2 movies I liked this year were Cabin in the Woods and Prometheus.
So, introduce me to some of the awesome films of 2012!

PS: I have been DYING to see a little movie called Funeral Kings.
This movie looks amazing, however it is on extremely limited release, only being shown in LA and a few other states so far.
I'm sure this movie is badass, anyone here seen it?

TRAILER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCobdWtavQ

EDIT: Dec 26 1:26am - I'm gonna have to add Django Unchained to the list of best movies this year, just saw it tonight. Fantastic film.

Fixer808
12-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Moonrise Kingdom! Loved it.

ManBurning
12-25-2012, 03:57 AM
That's right, Moonrise Kingdom! I saw that movie in the theatre, completly forgot about it, it was a supurb movie as well!

Elke
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
1. THE HOBBIT! Yes, I went there. After looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time, for almost five years now, the fact that it surpassed my wildest expectations AND that it was 150% more faithful to Tolkien's world than all of LOTR combined, makes it the absolute number one. I'm a fangirl, shoot me.
2. Skyfall
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Brave
5. The Master

I still need to see We Need To Talk About Kevin, Coriolanus and Cosmopolis, and I suspect those will shake this up a bit.

carpenoctem
12-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I still need to see We Need To Talk About Kevin, Coriolanus and Cosmopolis, and I suspect those will shake this up a bit.

We Need To Talk About Kevin was awesome. Super unsettling. It was weird seeing Ezra Miller in such totally opposite roles this year (he was so lovable in Perks of Being a Wallflower).

thevoid99
12-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Here's my 5 favorite films of 2012 so far:

1. Holy Motors
2. Rust and Bone
3. The Master
4. Silver Linings Playbook
5. Looper

ManBurning
12-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I thought Looper was decent at most, but not worthy of being a top contender for best movie of the year, which is unfortunate. i was so excited for it, but it just never "WOW'd" me the way the trailer did. I also did whatever I could to not watch/read reviews before going in, as I heard it was one of those movies the less you know about it going in, the better you'll enjoy it.

EPICRAGE
12-26-2012, 11:05 PM
My favorite movie of the year was The Grey. I'm glad I didn't see the trailer, or really know anything about it before I saw it.

r_z
12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
What about Cosmopolis by Cronenberg?

onthewall2983
12-27-2012, 10:38 AM
There's a lot I haven't seen yet, but The Grey is my favorite so far. Such a wrenching, bleak experience yet very moving in places.

dlb
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Though it is flawed beyond believe and ultimately a missed opportunity in some places Prometheus has to be my top movie of the year. All the excitement that build up until its release, the dessection of trailer footage and all the theories that got tossed around really sucked me in. Plus Michael Fassbender steals every scene he's in, Noomi Rapace is a fresh face and Charlize Theron looks better with every mean role she gets. The design of the movie was really captivating and I could watch it over and over again. Especially the fan-edit that was put together after the BluRay release which deserves a price of its own. The extra footage and making ofs should also be considered as they truly made up a great home video release.

My favorite cinema moment of the year goes to Skyfall. Sitting in a theatre on premiere's day and looking at the opening credits of a new Bond movie really is a classy moment. And I think it was more than helpful that I was looking forward to my trip to London the next day.

Other than that it really is a shame that I haven't seen most of the movies you guys are mentioning since a majority of them is only coming out in the next couple of days over here or just got a very limited release. On my to watch list of the above are: the Hunter, Holy Motors and the Grey.

Thinking about it I spent most of 2012 catching up with movies from last year. TV shows like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men really got me away from watching major motion pictures. Which is not a bad thing, but once in a while you're bound to miss a few gems in cinema.

r_z
12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
TV shows like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men really got me away from watching major motion pictures.

This. Mad Men in particular is film making at its finest. And it seems to get even better with every season. I think I've watched more TV-series this year than movies. And those I've seen in the cinema were rather forgettable mindless popcorn movies like TDKR or Avengers. I missed out on Skyfall, Cosmopolis and Dredd, which I really wanted to see, but haven't had a chance to. Maybe I'll catch Life of Pi.

kdrcraig
12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I didn't see a whole lot of movies this year, but off the top of my head my favorites would be:

The Hobbit
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall

The Grey was really good but it's not something I'll watch again. Prometheus was cool but overall I was pretty disappointed in it, I did buy it though since I'm anal about that shit and I have all the Alien movies on blu-ray.

Wretchedest
12-27-2012, 07:02 PM
The Master.... easy.

Moonrise kingsom

aggroculture
12-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Fave movie: probably Prometheus or Looper. Despite their flaws.

I also enjoyed Savages, though I'm probably the only one.
Paranorman was good. I also liked Hunger Games. Iron Sky was an entertaining enough z-movie.
Wish I'd got to see Lawless, Hotel Transylviania, and Brave.

Disappointments: The Master (good first half though) and Cabin in the Woods (horribly patronizing). Mirror Mirror was one of the worst, most boring and pointless movies I've ever seen. Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie was also pretty shit.

Coriolanus was 2011. Also not that great.

Skillfully avoided: all super-hero movies.

Anyone see Universal Soldier? Village Voice was all over that movie.

Vertigo
12-28-2012, 07:57 AM
For me...
The great: Skyfall, Titanic 3D (my first time seeing it on the big screen, which may have more to do with my reaction than the 3D; in any case, it transformed the film from Cameron's also-ran into something jaw-droppingly spectacular and hair-raisingly moving)
The reasonable: Dark Knight Rises, Dredd (thoroughly solid as far as ultraviolent action goes, just not particularly ambitious), The Master (meandering, plodding and desperately in need of a good chop, but had some interesting character elements and room for interpretation), The Dictator (extremely hit-and-miss though, and potentially entirely miss depending on your taste)
The meh: Ted (loved the Flash Gordon references, otherwise a perfectly watchable film but the gag rate was too low for my liking), The Avengers (I'd probably have walked out if it hadn't been for Whedon's nack for well-timed jokes)
The painfully disappointing: Prometheus, The Hobbit

Most of the awards-bait movies didn't show long enough for me to catch them, I only caught The Master during a stay out of town. Les Miserables and Lincoln aren't out here yet, hoping to see Life Of Pi soon.

Highly Psychological
12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
With exception of Prometheus, i have stayed away from all the major Blockbuster Hollywood, remakes, comic book adaptions, sequels, prequels etc. Marvel, Bond, Batman....BORING!! ...been there done that... next.

Looper seemed different from the trailer, but i saw it and thought it looked really tacky, and was a total mess...

But some films under the radar blew me away. I caught a screening of this new Tim Roth and Cilian Murphy film. Its won loads of awards. It has not been given a wide release yet. I hope it wins loads of Golden Globes, Baftas, Oscars.
Cinematography is beautiful, really get to love the characters, get's you totally immersed in the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NicWWIXMzkE

fillow
12-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Cloud Atlas, hands down.

ManBurning
12-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Cloud Atlas, hands down.

That's on my worst movies of the year list.

blackholesun
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Didn't really see much this year.

What I loved: Moonrise Kingdom, Cabin in the Woods, The Grey, Django Unchained, The Avengers, Safety Not Guaranteed

What I thought I would love and didn't: The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, Brave, The Bourne Legacy, Looper

Edit: I'll also add that TV (mostly AMC, HBO, FX etc) has my interest more than mainstream cinema. Loved the latest seasons of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Louie, Comedy Bang Bang, Key & Peele, The Walking Dead, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation and Girls.

sa_nick
12-31-2012, 02:42 AM
Okay, here's my list. Some titles may be 2011 in the US, I'm not sure...

Moonrise Kingdom
Ruby Sparks
Safety Not Guaranteed
Argo
Cloud Atlas
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Sound of My Voice
Collaborator
Killing Them Softly

^ These were all great and highly recommenable. I think I've watched maybe 150 films this year. Moonrise Kingdom is the only film I watched twice.

Havent seen Seven Psychopaths yet, that looks promising. Hobbit should be awesome when I finally see it (herniated a disc so I can't sit through a 3 hour film at the cinema right now) and I'm hoping to enjoy Hitchc*ck. Also haven't seen Sessions, John Hawkes is the man and he's never disapinted in any role, small or big.

If ya wanna go international there's movies like...

Intouchables
Wild Bill
Kid with a Bike
Bullhead
This is not a film
Oslo 31 August

I think they're all pretty well known, chances are a couple will get oscar nods (if they havent already)

thevoid99
01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Here's an unofficial list of the best films of 2012... so far...: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-unofficial-best-of-films-2012.html

Fixer808
01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Looper just went on my list.

wizfan
01-02-2013, 12:10 AM
Moonrise Kingdom
Cloud Atlas
The Avengers
Ruby Sparks
Amour
Magic Mike
The Amazing Spider-Man (I'm probably in the minority who loved it)

EDIT: Intouchables was fucking awesome, but it was released in 2011 initially, so I'm not counting it. It was, however, one of the best movies I've seen all year.

Jinsai
01-02-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't see too many movies in the theaters anymore, but I got out more this year than usual. I really liked Looper and Frankenweenie. The more I'm thinking about The Hobbit the more I'm deciding that I enjoyed it, but I'm stuck with this feeling that I only watched a small part of a larger movie, and that small part was 3 hours long... I liked Jiro Dreams of Sushi a lot. I also got taken along to see Wreck It Ralph, and while it's obviously very much a children's movie, it's cute and fun. Cabin in the Woods was really cool and original. Dark Knight Rises was good enough, but it didn't stand up to the hype following TDK.

I enjoyed Prometheus the first time I saw it, but when I watched it again it was disappointing. I also really did not enjoy The Avengers at all, though it seems everyone else did. Bored the hell out of me. Ted was funny but it didn't function as a movie too well. I hated the Spiderman reboot.

We Need to Talk about Kevin was a frustrating and fucked up movie. I'm really undecided how I feel about it, but it left an impression.

I still need to see Moonrise Kingdom, The Master, Django Unchained, Seven Psychopaths and Skyfall.

ManBurning
01-02-2013, 01:57 AM
The Amazing Spider-Man (I'm probably in the minority who loved it)

Nahh, I enjoyed that movie as well. Not enough to warrant a spot on the "Best movies of the year" list, but I did enjoy it, so we can be in the minority together.
I thought Andrew Garfield was a PERFECT Peter Parker, just nailed it! Also loved the dark and gritty aspect of the film, not al hokey and colourful like the original.

We Need to Talk about Kevin was a frustrating and fucked up movie. I'm really undecided how I feel about it, but it left an impression.

I saw this movie in 2011 and did not like it AT ALL either! Topped my "worst movies of 2011" list actually. Glad to see someone else has mixed / undecided feelings about that one.

Also I did not like Ted at all, my Girlfriend and I tried watching it and just turned it off half way though (if that). Just thought the jokes were waaaay too juvenile, but than again, neither of us are fans of Family Guy, so it's no surprise we didn't like it. Just not a fan of McFarlane's style of humor.

richardp
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
1. Ang Lee's Life of Pi
2. Zal Batmanglij's Sound Of My Voice
3. Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master
4. Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises
5. Ridley Scott's Prometheus
6. Stephen Chobosky's The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
7. Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom
8. Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained
9. The Duplass Brothers' Jeff, Who Lives At Home
10. Ben Affleck's Argo

Honorable Mentions:

Joss Whedon's The Avengers
Drew Goddard's The Cabin In The Woods
Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths
Rian Johnsons' Looper
Gareth Evans' The Raid: Redemption
William Friedkin's Killer Joe

fillow
01-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Actually I may have my final choice no earlier than, say, 2015. I only go to theaters 5-6 times a year. Everything else I'm saving for a later date, which can arrive two months from now or not all. There are tons of great movies from the past which I'm yet to watch and I try to mix old and new (I consider as 'new' everything past 2000), thus the recent films usually go down in the queue. In total I watched about 100 films in 2012, but only a small portion of them were 2012 films.

ManBurning
01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
9. The Duplass Brothers' Jeff, Who Lives At Home

Agreed! I completly forgot about this film.
What a spectacular little surprise this movie was. Definatly worthy of "Best of 2012"

richardp
01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
What a specrtacular little surprise this movie was. Definatly worthy of "Best of 2012"

Dude I had no idea that film would make me weep as if I was watching The Notebook. So good.

REPLICA
01-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I was originally going to post my top five but I had to add some Honorable Mentions...

1. Skyfall
2. Django Unchained
3. Les Miserables
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Life of Pi

Honorable Mentions...
Jeff, Who Lives At Home
The Hobbit

thelastdisciple
01-03-2013, 09:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HlDPE.jpg

My top 20 for 2012, keeping in mind i haven't seen Skyfall, Lincoln, Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, Seven Psychopaths, Dredd, Les Miserables or Django Unchained yet and I'm sure most of those would end up in there somewhere and knock some of the bottom ones out into top 30 territory.

sa_nick
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
What a spectacular little surprise this movie was. Definatly worthy of "Best of 2012"

Man, I forgot about this film too. It'd be on my list. Not real high up, but it'd be on there.

Still can't understand people putting Avengers or Prometheus on the best of 2012 list. I thought they were both flawed in too many ways to forgive.

cahernandez
01-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm amazed at how many people put blockbuster films in this list. They are fun to watch, sure, but there's nothing that sets them apart from the pack (I think). I'd add "Samsara" to the list, by the same guys from "Baraka". It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011, but had its limited release until August of this year, so I think it counts as a 2012 film. The visuals in this movie are just amazing, the scene in Mecca is particularly great, I was swept away by this sequence (and I'm not Muslim). By the way, Samsara is distributed by Oscilloscope Laboratories (Adam Yauch's film company). Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp967YAAdNk