PDA

View Full Version : Websites to discover new music

Arcspiral
12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
I wanted to take a moment and share my latest blog post. I wrote a while back about needing new music and I got a ton of suggestions!

Also, you should check out the websites that I reviewed, but specifically check out radiovaduz.com if you are looking for a fun way to find new music. You can find me on there as Gutter Bubbles. It's a fun way to pass the time while waiting for new NIN :D

Hope everyone enjoys reading. If you have any suggestions for new music, make sure and leave me a comment!

http://gutterbubbles.blogspot.com/2012/12/new-music-suggestions-and-websites.html

Thanks!

xmd 5a
12-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Last.fm, Free Music Archive, Boomkat and Spotify are my staples.

Bandcamp too. Can't forget that one!

wizfan
12-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Also, Grooveshark, leak sites like Leaks All Day and Has It Leaked?, Bandcamp, blogs and torrent sites where the bands themselves upload their material for free (especially the private ones like What.CD and Waffles).

fillow
12-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Echoing the sound.

PhoenixML
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
itunes, for real.

DVYDRNS
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
what.cd
insound

coolguy
12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Echoing the sound.
I'd have to strongly disagree with this. While in 2005 or so when I first found this place, I would have agreed with you, but not anymore. Sorry.
I mainly use the metal archives to find new music now.

blackholesun
12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
If you dig enough here, you'll find some great suggestions. Usually in the genre threads or music recommendation threads.

I've found music blogs to be the best way to find new music. Usually you can find one that gets pretty deep into a certain genre that you are looking for and just go to town.

BlueCalx
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Tumblr, XLR8R, The Fader. Sadly, obscure genre blogs are more thin on the ground than they were in 2006 or 2007, but the ones that are still going are ace.

piggy
12-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I often use rateyourmusic.com for reference on key albums I might want and to read lists that people have made. I use allmusic.com for all kinds of info, but mainly for the "related" tab on each artist page to see who is similar to them, who they were inspired by and who they inspired. These things often lead me to find music I wasn't necessarily looking for.

Presideo
12-18-2012, 10:11 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Pitchfork. I tend to agree with most of their reviews, their 'Best New Music' picks are always great, and even their columns on past music can be enlightening.

Does this make me a hipster douchebag?

bobbie solo
12-18-2012, 11:09 PM
audiogalaxy.com

xmd 5a
12-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Pitchfork. I tend to agree with most of their reviews, their 'Best New Music' picks are always great, and even their columns on past music can be enlightening.

Does this make me a hipster douchebag?

I used to hate P4k, but I'm finding it harder and harder to do so nowadays. There's some genuinely great content on there and the reviews have improved a ton.

BlueCalx
12-18-2012, 11:43 PM
I really detested Pitchfork around 2003-'04, when there was so much good music coming out all at once and they seemed completely devoted to carping on about the Shins and playing the shitty NME-style "we love you/we hate you" tastemaker game. Since then, though, they've really come into their own. It certainly helps that Brent DiCrescenzo no longer contributes. They've got writers who can speak credibly about hip-hop and dance music, they actually check their facts, which they never used to do. At this point, the biggest problem with Pitchfork is the stigma. I still have a couple friends who freak out when I mention the site, and I just say, "Dude, get your facts in order".