PDA

View Full Version : Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

ickyvicky
06-01-2022, 10:40 AM
I don't understand why there aren't more suits against the parents. Go for the manufacturer? I mean sure this is America you can sue anyone. But the parents should be the first place to go. Absolutely destroy them so that eventually parents realize they need to keep a better hold on the guns and a better understanding of their children. "He had his reasons (https://news.yahoo.com/texas-shooting-gunman-mother-says-082812853.html)"? even given possible translation errors that's not a great look, hews really close to knowing something you're not sharing.

Doesn't help when they claim shit like "They didn't counsel him to do it" like this: https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/us/ethan-crumbley-parents-michigan-shooting/index.html

elevenism
06-01-2022, 02:58 PM
...This shit won't change in our lifetimes...

Politics is about power. That's all 99% of them care about.
Also, bipartisanship is OVER...

I'M just being realistic.

(warning: insanity level of poster=CONTINUES to quote itself)

Well, yeah, Swykk ...you said "there will never be bipartisanship again." I said that the other day, or at least elevenism did, as evidenced by the above quote.
They just used fewer words and more capitalization.

And then someone i respect, here, in this thread, said bipartisanship would return in a future we might live to see

Later, i caught a few news reports that suggested the possibility of like an INCH of bipartisanship.

I feel like i tend to be a bit of a doomsayer around here, so i was just trying to be HALFWAY positive for once.

elevenism
06-01-2022, 03:12 PM
allegro well, fuck me i guess, wrt to the Obama admin having had the votes to codify Roe.
I guess that's the new thing i learned today.
Not only did it LOOK that way to me at the time, i've heard SO many talking heads make that claim over the years, and the argument has been making the rounds again, as of late.
But now that i've had time to read everything you presented, here, along with a recent USA TODAY piece i can see that the claim is apparently false.

I STILL think both parties hold on to certain things they COULD accomplish, so as to use them as future campaign promises, though.

allegate
06-01-2022, 04:11 PM
Investors call for human rights report at gunmaker Sturm Ruger (https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/investors-call-for-human-rights-report-at-gunmaker-sturm-ruger/ar-AAXY5c8?ocid=uxbndlbing)

A majority of shareholders of gunmaker Sturm Ruger & Co voted in favor of a shareholder resolution calling for a human rights impact report, executives said on Wednesday.

The company also said all director nominees were elected and that investors approved its auditor and executive pay at its annual shareholder meeting, which was webcast.

The passage of the shareholder resolution marked a setback for the Southport, Connecticut-based company, which had opposed the measure. It came after mass shootings in May, including one in Uvalde, Texas where a teenage gunman killed 19 schoolchildren and two teachers, that reopened a long-running U.S. debate over gun control.impressive, but this concerns me:

After the vote, Sturm Ruger Chief Executive Christopher Killoy said he expects the board will now consider how best to respond, and that the company would give a final voting tally in coming days.

Killoy referred to proponents of the measure as "anti-gun activists" and said its passage was "largely due to the support of institutional shareholders, many of whom declined to even speak with us, and others who blindly followed the guidance of ISS (Institutional Shareholder Services) or Glass Lewis."

Both top proxy advisers had recommended investors vote for the resolution.as a publicly-held company, can they not do what the shareholders asked them to? Also why are you speaking about your investors like this? That's not a good look, I feel.

Swykk
06-01-2022, 04:58 PM
elevenism I wasn’t trying to put you down at all.

BRoswell
06-01-2022, 07:20 PM
At least 3 people were killed in a Tulsa, Oklahoma, hospital campus shooting, police say (https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/us/tulsa-police-incident-active-shooter/index.html)

ickyvicky
06-02-2022, 08:51 AM
The superintendent of the school district my husband used to work in just sent an email out to everyone that one of the students posted an image of themselves on social media holding a gun. The police were immediately called, and they interviewed the child and the family and they posed not to be a threat and that the gun shown was fake. The student is barred from entering the school for the time being.

What the fuck is wrong with these kids?!

allegate
06-02-2022, 09:32 AM
My son said that the hallways were noticeably empty yesterday and that almost all of his teachers - orchestra was the exception, I wonder why (lol) - said the kids should stay home for the foreseeable future. Not explicitly because of the gun situation but that's because they are probably barred from saying that.

cdm
06-02-2022, 09:38 AM
What the fuck is wrong with these kids?!

Learned behavior.

allegate
06-02-2022, 10:20 AM
16-year-old arrested after police received tip he was recruiting students for a mass shooting at a California high school
by Taylor Romine CNN

A 16-year-old boy was arrested this week after police learned he was allegedly recruiting students to carry out a mass shooting at a high school in Berkeley, California, authorities said Wednesday.

Police received a tip on May 21 of the teen’s alleged plot targeting Berkeley High School, which also included a possible bombing, and obtained a search warrant for his home, Berkeley Police said in a statement.

The search turned up parts to explosives and assault rifles as well as several knives and electronic items that could be used to create weapons, police said.

Authorities also prepared a mental health response through the city’s Mobile Crisis Team to evaluate the teen.

He turned himself in Monday, police said, and was arrested on suspicion of possessing destructive device materials and threatening to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury.

The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office declined to comment because the person arrested is a juvenile.

in a letter (https://www.berkeleyschools.net/2022/06/busd-statement-about-berkeley-police-arrest/) to the school community, Berkeley Unified School District Superintendent Brent Stephens thanked those who came forward to report the alleged threat.

“Speaking up in this instance allowed for the police to intervene in advance of any harm occurring,” Stephens wrote.

He said the school had been in contact with the police department since the onset of the investigation, which is ongoing.

CNN’s Aya Elamroussi contributed to this report.
I wonder if the kids are doing some self-policing here since now they see that the cops are probably going to make a situation worse instead of better.

But also:

Forget good guy with a gun. Cars are what we really need to stop the bullets, apparently.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/05/26/police-on-scene-of-shooting-crash-in-southwest-houston/

HOUSTON – A suspect who was engaged in a shootout with a man he was attempting to rob was struck and killed by a vehicle driven by an innocent woman who was trying to get herself and a child out of harm’s way, according to Houston police.

The ironic chain of events unfolded in a gas station and convenience store parking lot in the 3900 block of Fondren at Westpark

According to HPD Lt. Larry Crowson, around 3:30 p.m. Thursday, a man and a woman were meeting up with another man for a transaction based on something possibly being sold from an online platform.

While they were discussing what preliminary information suggests appears to be a possible sale, the suspect pulled out a gun and attempted to rob the two in the vehicle.

The man inside the car was also armed, and pulled out his gun. The two men then began shooting at each other.

Another woman, who had nothing to do with the transaction, was in a separate car with a child during the shootout. Frightened, she accelerated in an attempt to dodge the flying bullets, police said.

That is when she accidentally struck the suspect who was running across the parking lot. The suspect was pinned beneath her vehicle and died.

“There was a female that was in her car, I believe she had a child in the car, she was extremely scared and accelerated at a high rate of speed to get out of the parking lot to avoid the shootout and she struck the suspect, and he’s under the car here behind me,” Crowson explained at the scene.

It was not known if the woman or child sustained any physical injuries.

Police said the man who was being robbed was shot in the arm. He was taken to the hospital and was expected to survive. Police did not say if the woman who was riding with him was hurt.

allegro
06-02-2022, 11:19 AM
And then someone i respect, here, in this thread, said bipartisanship would return in a future we might live to see.
I think there will be some huge turnaround in Congress, a huge purge that gets rid of the people in there now, and I’m thinking there will be some huge event and movement as the nexus that creates this new bipartisanship that’s ultimately demanded by voters. The LACK of bipartisanship is fostered by Republican voters; a huge bloc of voters do NOT want it. So they require that of their representatives.

Edit: I’m not sure if this will be in my lifetime, though. I’m thinking no. A lot of the old generations have to die, first.

Back to guns:

This Tulsa shooter bought 2 guns before killing his surgeon and 3 nurses. Both guns bought legally, with background checks. One was an AR, purchased 1.5 hours before the shooting; the other bought in May. So clearly premeditated. But, he could have used a revolver. So, ultimately, unfortunately, this just points to how (while I still believe we should stop selling long guns like ARs and AKs), there’s no true “solution” to this issue.

The United States is VIOLENT. It’s citizens settle their issues via guns. We are a sick, violent society.

And I don’t think there’s any solution to that. It’s engrained in our culture for over 200 years.

cdm
06-02-2022, 11:38 AM
But, he could have used a revolver. So, ultimately, unfortunately, this just points to how (while I still believe we should stop selling long guns like ARs and AKs), there’s no true “solution” to this issue.

[The royal] We cannot let "he could have used a handgun" or "he could have used a sword" or whatever other implement as an excuse not to ban assault style weapons. There is a reason he used an AR-style and not, say, a revolver.

allegate
06-02-2022, 12:10 PM
At least 3 people were killed in a Tulsa, Oklahoma, hospital campus shooting, police say (https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/us/tulsa-police-incident-active-shooter/index.html)https://twitter.com/hshaban/status/1532392069460787200

allegro
06-02-2022, 12:22 PM
[The royal] We cannot let "he could have used a handgun" or "he could have used a sword" or whatever other implement as an excuse not to ban assault style weapons. There is a reason he used an AR-style and not, say, a revolver.

I wholeheartedly agree.

But my point was that we should expect SHOOTINGS to continue. Because we suck. We are a society that’s emotionally ignorant and stunted and violent. Banning assault-type weapons (basically weapons with big magazines) helps prevent massive casualties. This guy shot 4 people. Why did he buy an AR? Likely because he didn’t actually know HOW to shoot. Monkeys can shoot and kill people with an AR.

See the McDonalds shooting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro_McDonald%27s_massacre

https://youtu.be/v721n0GPFrg

Look at the list of victims.

That was in 1984.

See the weapons he used. Included an Uzi Carbine. That was 38 years ago. NOTHING has been done except a ban with an EXPIRATION DATE.

Now Republicans are blaming POT for gun violence. Pot doesn’t do this. Wtf.

The Tulsa shooter bought one gun the same day he killed people. Oh, waiting list! But he bought the OTHER gun in May.

Moral of the story? We are living among millions of sociopaths; if we do ONE thing to piss them off, they will find a way to shoot us. And Republicans will help them. Republicans have passed “stand your ground” laws across the country. Republicans have promoted the idea that personal ownership of guns for “protection” extends to “settling issues” and is part of 2A.

Note: That is NOT in 2A. But Republicans and 2A nuts can’t (or won’t) grok a complex sentence.

allegate
06-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Moral of the story? We are living among millions of sociopaths; if we do ONE thing to piss them off, they will find a way to shoot us. And Republicans will help them. Republicans have passed “stand your ground” laws across the country. Republicans have promoted the idea that personal ownership of guns for “protection” extends to “settling issues” and is part of 2A.

Note: That is NOT in 2A. But Republicans and 2A nuts can’t (or won’t) grok a complex sentence.
I had never put these thoughts in this order but my oh my that makes a lot of sense.

elevenism
06-02-2022, 02:29 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuck me. So I spent ONE day without watching any news, and I'm late to the new Mass Shooting! And ummmm...holy fuck. That's TWO in OK in a week?
@allegro (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) : I hear you when you say we're living among millions of psychopaths.

But do you have any theories on WHY the US is like this? I mean "guns" is the simple and obvious answer.

But there are guns in other countries, too. Yes, the degree of accessibility varies, but 1% motorcycle clubs have shot fucking ROCKET LAUNCHERS at each other in Canada.

I know we have the most guns per capita, but that still doesn't explain everything for me.

Is it that the WORLD is full of psychopaths, and we just happen to have a large population and lots of guns? Is it just that?

I think there's something else...something to do with the American "spirit" or ethos or whatever. But, I can't put my finger on it.

allegro
06-02-2022, 02:30 PM
I had never put these thoughts in this order but my oh my that makes a lot of sense.

It’s a very old and ingrained part of our culture: Duels, revenge, it’s in our Westerns, a ton of our movies.

Hell, Vice President Aaron Burr fatally shot his long-time political antagonist Alexander Hamilton.

elevenism
06-02-2022, 02:36 PM
It’s a very old and ingrained part of our culture: Duels, revenge, it’s in our Westerns, a ton of our movies.

Hell, Vice President Aaron Burr fatally shot his long-time political antagonist Alexander Hamilton.

Yeah it's almost like we were born in blood: Revolution, civil war, the wild west.

And all that shit has been romanticized.

Not to mention we've got a sort of civil religion surrounding "the soldiers who were sacrificed for your freedom" (no offense to anyone who has served), and THAT adds a bit to it, I think.

Idk. I think about this a lot.

allegro
06-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Yeah it's almost like we were born in blood: Revolution, civil war, the wild west.
Look what’s happened to some of our major civic leaders.

Lincoln, JFK, RFK, MLK. An attempted assassination of Reagan. Of course, people have been assassinating world leaders since 2270 BC. Just not with the convenience of guns. Someone shot GANDHI to death.

The 1966 University of Texas Tower shooting. 11 dead, 31 wounded. It’s gone back THAT far.

Mother Jones put together a good database which only goes back to 1982 (does not include UT Bell Tower):

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

More good info:
https://everytownresearch.org/maps/mass-shootings-in-america/

We give toy guns and holsters to KIDS FOR CHRISTMAS.

Edit: I’m watching ABC World News; there have been TWENTY MASS SHOOTINGS since the Uvalde shooting (May 25 - June 1).

Edit: President Biden is speaking on TV. He says that recent CDC stats indicate that guns are the #1 killer of children in the U.S.; more kids have died as the result of guns in this country over the last 20 years than on-duty police officers or active-duty soldiers.

WTF.

allegate
06-02-2022, 07:56 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/v3jafj/multiple_people_injured_in_shooting_at_wisconsin/ (https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/v3jafj/multiple_people_injured_in_shooting_at_wisconsin/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf)

At the funeral of a gun-violence victim no less! If there was one time you'd think people would be smart enough to not go strapped, you'd think this would be it.

allegro
06-02-2022, 11:29 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/v3jafj/multiple_people_injured_in_shooting_at_wisconsin/ (https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/v3jafj/multiple_people_injured_in_shooting_at_wisconsin/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf)

At the funeral of a gun-violence victim no less! If there was one time you'd think people would be smart enough to not go strapped, you'd think this would be it.

On the news, here, they say it could be some kind of gang retaliation situation.

The funeral was for a guy who was killed by Racine police two weeks ago.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/racine-officials-enforce-juvenile-curfew-after-shooting-at-graceland-cemetery

elevenism
06-03-2022, 11:39 AM
On the news, here, they say it could be some kind of gang retaliation situation.

The funeral was for a guy who was killed by Racine police two weeks ago.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/racine-officials-enforce-juvenile-curfew-after-shooting-at-graceland-cemetery

yeah, i figured that was the case.

We're at a point with the whole drill rap/gang war shit that people are buying gun shaped flower arrangements for funerals.

If any of you guys want to see the insanity of the number of lives being lost to this Drill Wars shit, check out Trap Lore Ross' exhaustive youtube documentaries. There's also a great, disturbing doc about a shooter named KI called The Secret Life of a Gang Girl. She was 17, and claimed to have a body for every year of her life. I don't doubt it.
And GUESS WHO APPEARS in that doc- a young, pre fame King Von, (who, if you don't follow this stuff, rose to pop fame before being shot himself, and being succeeded by music and gang affiliate Lil Durk, who is one of today's most popular rappers, with rap equaling pop in the current time frame).

I've never been pro censorship, but this shit is getting out of hand.

Sadly, I think it's about time to start a Mass Shooting of the Day thread.

mfte
06-07-2022, 09:29 AM
https://youtu.be/v-qj2rqgChM

Jinsai
06-07-2022, 09:47 AM
allegro I thought the shooting at the McDonalds pretty much led directly to the assault weapons ban, which at least went a long way to decrease the ownership of fully automatic weapons.

Regarding the AR-15... Whenever someone is saying that it isn't really any different than , I'm always hearing it from someone who is really into gun ownership and tends to be a libertarian who doesn't truly give a shit about anything that you're concerned about.
And really, this isn't my field of expertise, so... I guess I'll just trust the gun nuts that there is NOTHING about the AR-15 that makes it special... and then I'll wonder why, if there's equivalent/identical weapons available that are just as good at everything the AR-15 is "good" at, then why the hell do people give such a fuck that it gets taken off shelves? It's been the instrument of death of choice for school/mass shooters for so long, maybe we should shift the argument to "well, it makes us sick to fucking look at it," because if the only thing that they can say about it that differentiates it from other semi-auto guns on the market is that it [i]looks scary, that's enough at this point.

allegro
06-07-2022, 03:27 PM
allegro I thought the shooting at the McDonalds pretty much led directly to the assault weapons ban, which at least went a long way to decrease the ownership of fully automatic weapons.

The McDonald's shooting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro_McDonald%27s_massacre) happened in 1983. The assault weapons ban (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban) was part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Crime_Control_and_Law_Enforcement_Act).

It was prompted by what became known as the Stockton Shooting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(Stockton)) (1989), at an elementary school in Stockton, CA (killing five schoolchildren and wounding 32 others), and also the Luby's shooting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting) in Kileen, TX in 1991.

The Luby's shooting was a mass shooting that took place on October 16, 1991, at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas. The perpetrator, George Hennard, drove his pickup truck through the front window of the restaurant. He shot and killed 23 people, and wounded 27 others. He had a brief shootout with police, refused their orders to surrender, and fatally shot himself.

At the time, the shooting was the deadliest mass shooting by a lone gunman in U.S. history, being surpassed 16 years later by the Virginia Tech shooting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting)

Edit: Also: The ban was for semi-automatic weapons.

Re Fully-automatic weapons were banned in 1986 (https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2017/10/4/16412910/automatic-guns-las-vegas-shooting).

However:

Automatic weapons are what many Americans think of as machine guns. These are guns that can continuously fire off a stream of bullets by simply holding down the trigger — making them very deadly. Semiautomatic weapons, by contrast, fire a single bullet per trigger pull. The difference between an automatic and a semiautomatic effectively translates to firing hundreds of rounds a minute versus dozens or so in the same time frame.

Under federal law, fully automatic weapons are technically legal only if made before 1986, when Congress passed the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act. So it’s now illegal to manufacture new automatic weapons for civilian use.

That gets us to the first loophole: If you have an automatic weapon from before 1986, it was grandfathered through the law. So it’s still legal to buy, sell, and exchange these kinds of weapons, including in Nevada, as long as they’re a few decades old — although with some extra hurdles that don’t apply to other types of firearms, such as registering fully automatic guns with the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) and paying a special tax, with the risk of additional penalties if someone doesn’t comply.

There are more than 630,000 of these guns in circulation, according to federal data.

This article goes on the write about bump stocks, but those were banned by the Trump Administration (https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html) after the Las Vegas mess shooting.

allegate
06-07-2022, 04:21 PM
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1534243013110554624

allegro
06-07-2022, 04:24 PM
Oh my God.
:(

Here's what I think is most of the speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGcgWDcJqw

I think this proposal is a GREAT idea, even if modified a little: TAX THE FUCK OUT OF CERTAIN WEAPONS (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rep-don-beyer-1000-percent-tax-ar-15-assault-weapons/).

Additionally, because the bill would be a revenue measure, it could be introduced through the reconciliation process, which would only require approval from 50 senators, instead of the 60 votes needed to pass most legislation. Only "a simple majority" would be required to get the bill passed, Fritschner added.

allegate
06-07-2022, 04:34 PM
Jesus, I cried at the 40 seconds in the tweet so I can't imagine the whole thing.

edit: yeah I'm a hot mess now. yikes.
and that fuck in the back?

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1534260625077112835

marodi
06-07-2022, 04:41 PM
For those who did not know, McConaughey was born in Uvalde. Just in case there is someone who thought he should stick to playing bongos naked.

cdm
06-08-2022, 09:21 AM

The AR is a symbol and a fetish above all else. It defines so many people and without it they'd feel empty. I wish that were hyperbole but it's not.

allegate
06-08-2022, 09:33 AM
funny story: I was at the local bike shop for something and noticed a big ol' "come and take it" flag on a pole in the adjoining lot. I guess the local flagmonger had set up yet another illegal shop and had to leave in a hurry? at any rate I told my wife "i'ma going to take it" and walked over and stripped the fucker down. Had someone come up to me while I was doing it and he said "I'm glad you did that, I was about to."

To be fair this isn't a particularly good story. I'm not saying I was brave - it was an empty lot after all - I just saw the flag and couldn't stand seeing it any longer.

ickyvicky
06-08-2022, 09:34 AM
allegate good for you

cdm
06-08-2022, 09:40 AM
funny story: I was at the local bike shop for something and noticed a big ol' "come and take it" flag on a pole in the adjoining lot. I guess the local flagmonger had set up yet another illegal shop and had to leave in a hurry? at any rate I told my wife "i'ma going to take it" and walked over and stripped the fucker down. Had someone come up to me while I was doing it and he said "I'm glad you did that, I was about to."

To be fair this isn't a particularly good story. I'm not saying I was brave - it was an empty lot after all - I just saw the flag and couldn't stand seeing it any longer.

We were on our way to the beach the other week and came across this pro-Trump...display...along the highway. It amounted to an old, beat up RV completely COVERED in Trump paraphernalia parked next to an abandoned gas station with various flags zip-tied to the fencing. Sign said FREE TRUMP MERCHANDISE. What a fucking metaphor, on several levels.

Edit: I just wasted too much time on Streetview looking for it only to find the station was still open when the Google Car last drove by (Nov 2021) however I did come across these two gems:

Can confirm Donny and Melania are still on the sign.

allegate
06-08-2022, 09:59 AM
what in the world could the MAGA phrase be turned into in regards to the garden? I'm assuming "Make your garden great again"?

You think about that one too hard your brain hurts. You're telling people they have shit gardens, mate.

https://twitter.com/WalshJackMD/status/1534303053393928192

cdm
06-08-2022, 10:05 AM
what in the world could the MAGA phrase be turned into in regards to the garden? I'm assuming "Make your garden great again"?

You think about that one too hard your brain hurts. You're telling people they have shit gardens, mate.

Oh shit. Good eye.

Please hold.

Edit: 697

Another set of cutouts. WTF.

ekrekel
06-08-2022, 10:53 AM
https://youtu.be/v-qj2rqgChM

2:44 ~"Shooting an RPG is the ultimate Vegas experience" ~"we sold about 30 of these to civilians in the last few months"

allegro
06-08-2022, 12:42 PM
2:44 ~"Shooting an RPG is the ultimate Vegas experience" ~"we sold about 30 of these to civilians in the last few months"

“We have the right to guns, for sporting. And to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.”

Q: why do you think there’s so many mass shootings.

“Well cause it’s on the agenda of the left.”

NONE of this makes any sense. It’s all total nonsense bullshit.

Jinsai
06-08-2022, 01:23 PM
just read a story about a survivor of the shooting who covered herself in her friend's blood and played dead to hide from the shooter.

If that doesn't make the horror of this resonate on some profound, chilling level, there's something wrong with you. It might not be your fault; we've all been conditioned to 'accept' this.
I can't imagine the terror that little child went through and endured. It's hard to even believe that's actually real.

Swykk
06-08-2022, 02:52 PM
I read that too and watched her talk about it.

That poor kid will never be the same; will never feel safe again.

I fucking hate these gunnuts so much.

ekrekel
06-09-2022, 11:44 AM
One teacher was shot twice through his arm and lung (https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/06/07/robb-elementary-teacher-injured-in-shooting-calls-police-cowards-for-not-helping-students-sooner/) and another through his back, but survived. He told his kids to lay down and pretend to be asleep and he did the same (sounds like that's their protocol). He said him and the kids could hear the cops in the hallway, some kids in the other room spoke up and the shooter heard them. Survivor's guilt there has to be unfathomable, but he was shot twice and couldn't get in front of a camera for almost 2 weeks, it's hard to think he could have done more. The timeline has been out there for a while, but I just can't quit looking at it.

Reyes said students could hear police outside the classroom, and one of them called for help. “One of the students from the next-door classroom was saying, ‘Officer, we’re in here, we’re in here,’” Reyes said. “But they had already left.” The gunmen walked to that classroom and opened fire again, Reyes said. A timeline from Steve McCraw, the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, says that seven officers entered the school by 11:35 a.m., just minutes after the gunman entered the building. They took on gunfire and retreated.

At 12:03 p.m., a girl called 911 and whispered that she was in room 112. She called again at 12:10 p.m. and said there were multiple dead. She called again at 12:13 p.m. and then again at 12:16 p.m., when she said there are eight to nine students alive.

At 12:50 p.m., officers opened the door with keys from a school employee and entered the room, killing the gunman, according to McCraw.

She was in there for 32 minutes before getting a chance to dial 911. ~"WTF! we know y'all are here, we can hear you through the freaking wall".

I'm running out of ways to describe how infuriating this all is.

elevenism
06-09-2022, 02:58 PM
So Matthew Mconaghuey (and don't pretend like YOU know.how to spell it off.the top.of.your head: I'm obviously a die hard Texan/fan of Texana, and he's one of our finest exports, and even I forget how to spell it) ...

Anyway, is it just me, or did Mcconaughey just give his first campaign speech?
And, for the record, I cried my eyes out.
But he's definitely in full politician mode.

I'm obviously biased. This is a man who was arrested for playing bongos in Austin, on mushrooms, without any clothes on. He's a fucking state treasure.

But I THINK he's got the chops! I think he'd run as a liberal Republican, or a conservative Democrat.

Basically, I think he'd be a "third way" candidate. So. McConaughey 28?

@allegate (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1739) , I am SO fucking tired of our symbols being repurposed.

"Come and Take It" was a big, badass deal during the Texas Revolution, and had absolutely NOTHING to do with any gun rights bullshit.

Rather, it's an exciting bit of Texas history that assholes have now taken away from us.

And I mean, same with Don't Tread On Me. (edit: except it's a USA thing).
I was gonna order a DTOM shirt with the OG flag, from $6 dot com.
But then I realized it had become some sort of right wing bullshit.

Hell, I've felt weird celebrating 4th of July these past 6 years.

marodi
06-09-2022, 03:25 PM
So Matthew Mconaghuey (and don't pretend like YOU know.how to spell it off.the top.of.your head: I'm obviously a die hard Texan/fan of Texana, and he's one of our finest exports, and even I forget how to spell it) ...

Here's how I always remember:

Mc: as in McDonald's

Con: as in "con" duh.

Au: as in the chemical symbol for gold

Ghey: as "grey" but with an h instead of r.

Also: opinion piece from an ex police officer about the AR-15. Best thing I've read in a while: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opinions/guns-ar-15-uvalde-school-shooting-fanone/index.html

elevenism
06-09-2022, 03:57 PM
McConaughey.
marodi , it works!

Thank you!

cdm
06-09-2022, 04:47 PM
Also: opinion piece from an ex police officer about the AR-15. Best thing I've read in a while: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opinions/guns-ar-15-uvalde-school-shooting-fanone/index.html

Not just any former police officer.

allegate
06-09-2022, 05:49 PM
Not just any former police officer.
huh, how about that.
Michael Fanone is an American law enforcement analyst and former police officer. He is a CNN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN) on-air contributor. Fanone worked for the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Police_Department_of_the_District_of_ Columbia) from 2001 to 2021. He was injured during the 2021 United States Capitol attack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_United_States_Capitol_attack). Fanone had joined the United States Capitol Police (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_Police) after the September 11 attacks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks).

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1535015161722834944

she really needs to be in a Democratic leadership position soon.

allegro
06-09-2022, 10:39 PM

I love this:

If banning them outright seems like too extreme a solution to be politically palatable, here's another option: Reclassify semi-automatic rifles as Class 3 firearms.

That would mean that someone wanting to purchase an AR-15 would have to go through a background check, fingerprinting and review by an official from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- a process that takes anywhere from 12 to 16 months. And since Class 3 weapons can't be purchased by anyone younger than 21, it would solve the issue of emotionally unstable 18-year-olds buying them.

A Class 3 firearm reclassification would also make those who are approved to purchase these weapons subject to an annual check that they are complying with federal regulations regarding secure storage of the firearm, and to confirm their licensing and other paperwork is up to date. All of these hoops and hurdles are sure to reduce the civilian demand for these weapons.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download

ekrekel
06-10-2022, 09:32 AM
A bit more info than I've heard to this point here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/us/uvalde-shooting-police-response.html

allegate
06-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Uvalde school police chief says he didn't think he was in charge of the mass-shooting response and assumed someone else was (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uvalde-school-police-chief-says-he-didnt-think-he-was-in-charge-of-the-mass-shooting-response-and-assumed-someone-else-was/ar-AAYiCiX?ocid=uxbndlbing)

Arredondo told The Tribune that he did not think he was in charge of the multi-agency response that day, though Department of Public Safety officials had previously described him as the commanding officer at the scene.

He told The Tribune he took on the role of a first responder instead because he assumed someone else would be in control of the wider response. He did not say who he thought that would be.

"I didn't issue any orders," Arredondo told The Tribune. "I called for assistance and asked for an extraction tool to open the door."

cdm
06-10-2022, 10:04 AM
"I didn't issue any orders," Arredondo told The Tribune. "I called for assistance and asked for an extraction tool to open the door."

Us normies call this a key.

ickyvicky
06-10-2022, 11:00 AM
It just keeps getting worse and worse

BRoswell
07-04-2022, 12:34 PM
Mass shooting at a 4th of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois. Five dead so far. (https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/4/23194354/highland-park-fourth-july-parade-gunfire)

Endlessly
07-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Thinking of you and yours, allegro, are you okay?

allegro
07-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Thinking of you and yours, allegro, are you okay?

Yes, we are okay, thanks. We are all on lockdown here in Highland Park.

cdm
07-04-2022, 04:48 PM
A parade. What the FUCK?

allegro
07-04-2022, 05:21 PM
Looks like the guy is from Highwood, which is just north of Highland Park.

Guy is Robert “Bobby” Crimo, a rapper known as Awake the Rapper.

The vid that was online is gone, YouTube terminated the guy’s account.

Swykk
07-04-2022, 05:26 PM
What a fucking creep and he doesn’t get to use that song either.

Also, his words make almost no sense at all.

allegro
07-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Holy shit.

This kid is the son of the guy who owner BOB’S PANTRY!!!!!

That was like this really well-known convenience store near the Braeside Metra Station in Highland Park!!!

Bob Crimo (kid’s dad) ran for Mayor of Highland Park in 2020!!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/highland-park-illinois-4th-july-shooting-suspect-who-robert-crimo.amp

allegro
07-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Shooter was apprehended.

otnavuskire
07-04-2022, 06:36 PM
Surprise, surprise, the suspect is a Trump supporting MAGA douchebag. Lots of pictures of him at Trump rallies and wearing Trump flags like a cape circulating online.

allegro
07-04-2022, 06:57 PM
Surprise, surprise, the suspect is a Trump supporting MAGA douchebag. Lots of pictures of him at Trump rallies and wearing Trump flags like a cape circulating online.

I saw tons of pics of this kid and didn’t see any of those.

Only pics of his face with tattoos and shit.

This is the kid’s Dad:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/highland-park/ct-tl-lk-0620-business-profile-20130619-story.html

Highland Park is like a bastion of liberalism. You can’t get any more liberal than Highland Park. It’s one reason why we like it, here; we’re in an echo chamber.

otnavuskire
07-04-2022, 07:09 PM
I saw tons of pics of this kid and didn’t see any of those.

Only pics of his face with tattoos and shit.

There's more out there as well.

Frozen Beach
07-04-2022, 07:15 PM
His Twitter follows no conservative related accounts. Only liberal like Barack Obama, Kamala Harris and Joe Biden. It is highly possible he unfollowed accounts/followed accounts prior to the attack because he knew people would look.

allegro
07-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Omg. Wtf.

I told one of my girlfriends this morning, what if this is someone who came here to shoot liberals?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-highland-park-shooting-local-gun-control-laws-20220705-6c7sbwnierb35lhrzhwl7gftri-story.html

allegro
07-04-2022, 07:59 PM
https://twitter.com/wcyoungIII/status/1544109442496700418?s=20&t=-MDWjRcaeGjAWJaKSiaGnw

Frozen Beach
07-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Someone on Twitter archived his YouTube videos https://twitter.com/crabcrawler1/status/1544086434231066624

Jinsai
07-05-2022, 11:23 AM

This guy seems to be well beyond the "unhinged Trump supporter" though... even if he was into Trump, I don't think this is a fair representation of his influence. This is a sick person.

He apparently posted a picture of himself draped in a Trump flag with the word "spam" below it, and then showed up at a Trump rally dressed like Where's Waldo... it's like he's trying to message something, but has no idea what it is.

ickyvicky
07-05-2022, 01:23 PM
I'm hearing now that he was dressed like a woman to not appear as obvious.

allegro
07-05-2022, 02:54 PM
I'm hearing now that he was dressed like a woman to not appear as obvious.

Yeah.

Here’s a good Chicago Tribune article:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-highland-park-shooting-day-after-20220705-2bfeprry5vckpjhugmn5oiuaj4-story.html

If it’s paywalled, lemme know, I’ll paste it here.

He’d been planning this for weeks. The Honda Fit was his Mom’s car.

One of the dead was a 78-yr-old who lived in Mexico for 6 months a year and was handicapped and confined to a wheelchair. He didn’t want to go to the parade, but his family didn’t want to leave him at home alone. :(

He also filmed himself at the Waukegan airport when President Biden arrived on a smaller version of Air Force One and left in a motorcade.

This morning, our Mayor said she used to be this guy’s Cub Scout leader. She said he was a good kid.

“It’s one of those things where you step back and you say what happened? How did somebody become this angry, this hateful, to then take it out on innocent people who literally were just having a family day out,” she said.

otnavuskire
07-05-2022, 04:17 PM
How did somebody become this angry, this hateful, to then take it out on innocent people who literally were just having a family day out,” she said.

How do people keep asking this question over and over again when it's so painfully obvious how they've become indoctrinated by the far right into believing all their bullshit conspiracy theories and white supremacist bullshit.

cdm
07-05-2022, 04:21 PM
How do people keep asking this question over and over again when it's so painfully obvious how they've become indoctrinated by the far right into believing all their bullshit conspiracy theories and white supremacist bullshit.

It's easier than actually doing something.

allegro
07-05-2022, 04:33 PM

I don't think this was the case.

He shot up a bunch of mostly WHITE people in an affluent mostly white liberal suburb. He's an Italian-American kid who GREW UP in that suburb. There's something else going on with this dude. I watched his videos, listened to his "rap" stuff (I don't think you could even call it that, a lot of it was kind of ambient music, really). His music was pretty interesting, actually. He's a pretty intelligent guy, seems more like a idealist or someone who rejected law enforcement.

If anything, this kinda reminds me of a really extreme version of the movie "Heathers." Two of his vids are in schools, like with props where he's IN some kind of SCHOOL. Blackboards and lockers and everything.

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/us-news/2022/07/05/62c38d84ca4741276c8b45ce.html

See this: https://www.yahoo.com/video/highland-park-shooting-person-interest-002103309.html

Crimo had his own Discord server, where fans and people who knew him would chat. The community featured a politics board filled with nihilistic political memes. The most recent post before the shooting, which was posted in March, was a picture of Budd Dwyer, the Pennsylvania state treasurer who shot and killed himself on live television in the late 1980s, along with the caption, “I wish politicians still gave speeches like this.”

From his music and his vids, he seems pretty self-isolated. He lived with his uncle in Highwood (suburb just north of HP), he had the back of the house, his uncle had the rest; the news caught up with his uncle outside the house, and his uncle was totally shocked, said the kid "was quiet and kept to himself." Of course. Some of the guy's vids are him in the skateboard park in HP.

Here's a Rolling Stone article: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/4th-of-july-shooting-highland-park-political-1377975/

An extremist profile with violence and gore, and involved in a conflict with law enforcement, with no affiliation with ideology or politics. It's just fetishizing violence. His vids are really stylized. The main one looks a little like the Pearl Jam "Jeremy" video.

New information: He told his family he'd kill everyone in 2019. HP Police removed 16 knives, a dagger and a sword and reported him to the IL State Police (https://wgntv.com/news/highland-park-parade-shooting/charges-to-be-announced-in-highland-park-mass-shooting/). At that time, he had no guns and no FOID card (in 9/19). Subsequently, the IL State Police did a background check for him to obtain a FOID and several high-powered weapons.

Here's a really good thing on NPR about this: https://www.npr.org/2022/07/05/1109883834/experts-say-the-digital-footprint-of-the-highland-park-suspect-fits-into-a-new-t

otnavuskire
07-05-2022, 04:57 PM
I don't think this was the case.

He shot up a bunch of mostly WHITE people.

A third of the population of where he did it is Jewish.

allegro
07-05-2022, 05:11 PM
A third of the population of where he did it is Jewish.

That's an estimate by some Jewish organizations, but I know many Jewish people who argue with that number and believe it's far lower. We do have a lot of Jewish people in Highland Park, yes. My Jewel supermarket up the street has a kosher section and two rabbis. But, there are a LOT of Jewish communities in Chicago's North Shore, including but not limited Northbrook, Glencoe, and ESPECIALLY Skokie (probably THE biggest population of Jews). Most of the people here AREN'T Jewish.

Some of the kid's videos look like fucking "Call of Duty" for Christ sake.

Edit: A Rabbi at a Temple in HP said he recognized the kid from a visit he made some time ago but he wasn’t armed. He wondered if the kid was casing the place but he doesn’t know.

The guy is still alive. There will be a trial. Maybe we will find out why he did it. Not sure.

We are still trying to heal, here. Businesses are still closed down. We are still broken-hearted and mourning. The Cardinal is conducting Mass at Immaculate Conception here tonight. VP Kamala Harris is coming to visit at any minute. Downtown is still littered with people’s stuff, because it’s a crime scene. We have a safe, quiet community, here. It’s bullshit when ANY community is shattered by senseless violence. When it’s your own community, it’s surreal.

Meanwhile, I'm more pissed off that the STATE POLICE gave this asshole a FOID CARD and APPROVED his purchasing SEVERAL high-powered assault rifles. If you see the videos from the scene, he's mod'd them so they sound fully-auto.

News reporters are up the street from me at the police HQ, and there's PORTA POTTIES out there for them.

This shouldn't have ever happened. It was avoidable. He warned people that he'd do this. The local HP Police listened and reported it, removed his weapons. The State Police gave him weapons. We need better state laws. I assume this will happen but it will be too late for the 7 dead people.

People could report that kid's videos to YouTube and NOTHING happens. Due to free speech. People die due to 1A and 2A.

Peter Strauss, whose father, Steve (88), was killed in the shooting, said this:

I’m a psychologist, and so my feeling is that there are many people with undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses that are, occasionally, sometimes, gun owners, and that the combination is as lethal as I learned yesterday.

I do feel like civilians owning military weapons is ridiculous.

cdm
07-05-2022, 05:26 PM
I've typed and deleted and typed and deleted again...at least 4 times. I just cannot properly assemble the words.

allegro
07-05-2022, 05:43 PM
The GOP candidate for Governor, Darren Bailey, a total right-wing wack job, was on TV yesterday telling people to "move on" and to celebrate the 4th.

I hope that's enough to motivate people NOT to vote for that clown.

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1544052531176800259?s=20&t=_m99MocRn_HqbqUT72hktA

allegro
07-05-2022, 06:58 PM
The two-yr-old found orphaned at the scene?

Both of his parents were killed. :(

35-yr-old Irina McCarthy and 37-yr-old Kevin McCarthy of Highland Park.

We were all really upset as they were trying to find this baby’s parents, yesterday.

Omg.

The Feds need to charge this guy with terrorism.

Illinois needs new red flag laws asap.

Frozen Beach
07-05-2022, 07:23 PM
I don't think anything will ever change. It will be a neverending back and forth. I have no faith in this system anymore. And I don't think we'll ever know why people like this do this shit, unless one just talks like Edward Kemper.

cdm
07-05-2022, 08:51 PM
The Feds need to charge this guy with terrorism.

There’s no way he’d be convicted of terrorism given the way the statute is written.

allegro
07-05-2022, 10:41 PM
There’s no way he’d be convicted of terrorism given the way the statute is written.

That’s true, unfortunately.

Edit: Illinois needs a Terrorism law. Michigan has one.

allegro
07-06-2022, 02:37 AM
So, now there’s reports that the shooter had threatened to kill himself, and had wanted to purchase an AR when he was 20 but was too young … so his Dad acted as a SPONSOR for the kid’s FOID card.

Here’s a photo of his Dad’s Twitter feed, btw:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ZE_64QMsUYBSASYeHpTSaQ?select=lbUvtEgGNk7cY1c-6qAqfg&utm_source=ishare&utm_content=photo

Jinsai
07-06-2022, 08:24 AM
his son is acting suicidal, so he helps him get the gun that is the "mass shooter gun?" At no point were the alarm bells ringing faintly? I swear these 2nd amendment proponents put the blinders on for absolutely everything when it comes to protecting this country's gun rights fetish.

cdm
07-06-2022, 10:25 AM

A serious society would use this as a roadmap to make meaningful change in who does and does not get to purchase a firearm.

allegro
07-06-2022, 12:20 PM
Per WaPo:

The man accused of opening fire at a crowd watching a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park seriously considered committing another shooting in Wisconsin afterward, police said Wednesday. 
Robert E. Crimo III, 21, was driving around after the attack and contemplated using a rifle he had in his car to shoot more people at a celebration in Madison, said Christopher Covelli, a spokesman for the Lake County Major Crime Task Force.

[…]
During the hearing, Assistant State’s Attorney Ben Dillon said that investigators reviewed surveillance footage and cellphone videos from parade attendees that showed Crimo using a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 semiautomatic rifle, which investigators say he obtained at a local gun store in 2020.

After officers recognized him from the surveillance footage, Crimo was taken into custody at about 6:25 p.m. and confessed to Highland Park police, Dillon said. He told investigators that he had dressed like a woman and covered his tattoos with makeup “because people would recognize him.”

Dillon added that the suspect confessed that he had fired three full 30-round magazines at the crowd. Investigators found the three magazines and 83 spent shell casings on the roof from where he opened fire.

Edit: Reports are that he actually DROVE TO Madison, had an assault rifle in the car, but decided against it because he hadn’t “planned” it thoroughly.

allegro
07-06-2022, 11:10 PM
The parents of this shooter should be held liable for this carnage.

They hired a high-profile attorney; shooter gets a public defender:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/robert-crimo-parents-attorney-r-kelly-b2117382.html?amp

The kid’s parents are a shit show:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/highland-park-shooting-suspects-parents-problem-says-former-coach

https://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2022/07/denise-pesina-confronts-swat-personnel-and-police-exposes-breast-in-front-of-her-home-after-highland-park-parade-shooting/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/5716488/highland-park-shooter-parents-statement-robert-crimo-denise-pesina/amp/

https://meaww.com/amp/robert-crimosparents-bob-sr-once-ran-for-mayor-while-denise-pesina-arrested-for-domestic-battery

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10989057/amp/Mother-Highland-Park-shooter-seen-unloading-Target-bags-hours-son-appeared-court.html

ickyvicky
07-07-2022, 08:27 AM
The parents should ABSOLUTELY be held accountable for this.

Ethan Crumbley, who shot up a school in Michigan - whose parents also helped him buy a gun - is now going to be a witness in his parents' trial soon. Whatever outcome this may have, will definitely impact future cases. https://nypost.com/2022/06/27/accused-school-shooter-ethan-crumbley-to-take-stand-in-parents-trial/

allegate
07-07-2022, 04:06 PM
https://twitter.com/GovPritzker/status/1544505595314700289

edit:

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1544818389289508867

allegate
07-08-2022, 05:47 PM
https://twitter.com/RyanShead/status/1544385572331892736

unopposed you say.

poinoup
07-26-2022, 12:33 PM
https://i.ibb.co/NCdrxh0/mpogtnN.jpg (https://ibb.co/NCdrxh0)

allegate
08-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Music Midtown canceled (https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/2022/08/01/music-midtown-canceled)

Catch up quick: In May, guns-rights activist Phillip Evans argued that short-term operators of public venues — in this case, Music Midtown, which rents the park from the city — could not restrict guns at their events, Saporta Report reported at the time (https://saportareport.com/music-midtown-weapons-ban-is-challenged-by-gun-rights-advocate/sections/reports/johnruch/).

allegate
08-03-2022, 01:29 PM
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1554864067508060160
@allegro (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) I think you'll enjoy this particular thread.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1554874905526734848

https://i.gifer.com/3dxZ.gif

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1554875445253812225

oh wow, this is amazing.

That phone has texts on it from two years ago. Hmm, what happened less than two years ago? January 6th.

The number of people who are going to be saying "Alex who?" is going to be huge. I wonder how many lawyers will get phone calls today to get in front of whatever this is going to turn into.

ickyvicky
08-03-2022, 01:43 PM
By "mistake" - GOOD, lol

allegate
08-03-2022, 02:32 PM
Alex is in deep doo doo.

Child porn found in documents Alex Jones sent to lawyers of Sandy Hook families, court filing says (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/child-porn-found-documents-alex-jones-sent-sandy-hook-family-n1018541)
Jones denies any knowledge of the images, and Infowars describes the emails as a "malware attack attempting to embed" child porn on their servers.

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1554903595258191872

marodi
08-03-2022, 02:41 PM
"I had several different phones with this number, like 20 of them. So when you asked me that question, I answered it thinking you were talking about phone #3 but if you were talking about phone #12, then yeah; good for you, Perry Mason; you've got me. What is this about again and why am I here? What year is this? etc"

Duuuuude. My mom, bless her heart, has this highly annoying habit of answering a "yes or no" question with an explanation going back to the Big Bang. She doesn't do it on purpose, though. Jones is like Trump: always trying to drown an embarrassing question with a word salad.

allegate
08-03-2022, 05:53 PM
After watching this there's no way the lawyer didn't do this on purpose.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1554883038785552387

can't figure the link for an mp4, but it's the moment Alex is handed the texts in question today and he realizes that it's not at all what he thought it would be.

https://i.imgur.com/0YCEIi8.mp4

bobbie solo
08-06-2022, 04:06 AM
another $45 million in punitive damages against Jones today. He filed for bankruptcy. And more penalties are coming his way bc more similar trials from other Sandy Hook parents are still to come. Dude is fucked and I hope he shotguns himself.

allegate
08-11-2022, 04:04 PM
https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1557555770203377665

More of this and less "high road", Democrats.

bobbie solo
08-11-2022, 06:00 PM
https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1557555770203377665

Pfftttt no way. I prefer their "sitting on our hands" strategy that's worked really well for the past 40 years.

allegro
08-11-2022, 06:26 PM

The last AWBpassed because lots of Republicans backed it in the Senate. Reagan supported it.

The House BARELY passed it because rural Democrats were against it at the time.

Remember, the last AWB was due to a school shooting in CA … in 1989.

allegate
08-11-2022, 06:58 PM
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1557853406055636992

"unhinged" is getting a lot of work lately.

allegate
08-16-2022, 04:22 PM
New MAGA ad on Texas televisions:

https://twitter.com/chron/status/1559297209006448642

Oh, sorry, not that MAGA: Moms Against Greg Abbott.

allegate
08-18-2022, 09:33 AM
https://twitter.com/ExpressNews/status/1559607426827128832

https://media4.giphy.com/media/XsUtdIeJ0MWMo/giphy.gif

thelastdisciple
09-26-2022, 03:33 PM
I don't know if this would belong here or in Random General Headlines but....
At least 15 dead, 24 injured in Russia school shooting"15 people, including 11 children, were killed in the shooting, and 24 other people, including 22 children, were wounded in the attack.

Russia’s Investigative Committee identified the gunman as 34-year-old Artyom Kazantsev, a graduate of the same school, and said he was wearing a black t-shirt bearing “Nazi symbols.”.."

Link for more:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9155784/russia-school-shooting/

elevenism
09-26-2022, 05:07 PM
I think it's about time, y'all.
Being on the left doesn't mean you can't arm yourself.

We're looking at 8 different kinds of hell.

I've always said "I'm a Carlos the Jackal Leftist."

We're leveling up our defense capabilities at the eleven household.

Get ready for the possibility of mass social unrest in the next few years.

botley
09-27-2022, 08:51 AM
I think it's about time, y'all.
Being on the left doesn't mean you can't arm yourself.

We're looking at 8 different kinds of hell.

I've always said "I'm a Carlos the Jackal Leftist."

We're leveling up our defense capabilities at the eleven household.

Get ready for the possibility of mass social unrest in the next few years.
No, thanks!

elevenism
09-29-2022, 07:21 AM
No, thanks!

I hear you, man, and I highly appreciate your principles, quite naturally.
But things are different down here, eh buddy? ;)

I was talking about the US, where the right is already armed to the teeth,
and their elected officials...including King Dingaling, himself...
can barely make it through an interview without some sort of threat or call to arms.

It's not as if we're preparing for something NEW, here, either. We've HAD recent political violence, and the rhetoric continues to worsen.
I just fear a possible mass escalation in the coming years, both political,
AND regarding food and energy.

Edit: and for the record, I'm like 99% sure I've never fired a real gun...if I have, I was VERY young.
But a shotgun is just "part of the house" in the region where I spent my earliest years, and where I live, now ( convergence of likeTX/OK/NM/CO) so my mom certainly knows her way around that.
And those are mostly point and shoot, right?

Mrs. Eleven DWI crew, Sheap, did a stint in the military.
She can handle the big shit.

ickyvicky
10-07-2022, 09:47 AM
"Thailand Mass Shooting at Child-Care Center Leaves at least 36 Dead" Terrible.
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/least-20-people-killed-mass-shooting-thailand-police-2022-10-06/

chuckrh
10-07-2022, 10:40 AM
I hate (I try not to use that word a lot) fucking guns.

ickyvicky
10-13-2022, 08:56 AM
Verdict Reached for Parkland School Shooter Nikolas Cruz. Verdict being read at 10:30am ET.

Update:
Wow. I can't believe it. Life in prison. This is a shame, as this case sets an example for the next upcoming cases.
My heart breaks for the families.

allegate
11-14-2022, 09:47 AM
https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1592112477692891136

as you can imagine most replies are about how ridiculous it is to call a mass shooting an 'event'.

cahernandez
11-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Another mass shooting, this time in Colorado :(
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/20/us/colorado-springs-shooting-gay-nightclub

allegate
11-23-2022, 09:47 AM
https://twitter.com/TribuneKevin/status/1595430971478020096

yeah it'd be great if we could stop focusing on the things that bring the hate-click ad dollars.

allegate
01-11-2023, 01:06 PM
you reminded me of this bonkers idea (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/virginia-gov-youngkin-pushes-police-in-elementary-schools-after-6-year-old-shoots-teacher/ar-AA16cV6D) from VA:

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) told The Washington Post editorial board on Monday that his path forward after this shocking tragedy will be to push for more police officers in schools and tougher penalties for crimes committed with guns. "One of the key concerns I have is I wasn't able last year to get school resource officers in every school," Youngkin said. "We didn't get them in every elementary school and we should."The response I saw on reddit - or twitter, I forget now - was basically: "Sure, because every six-year-old is reviewing the penalties for their actions before they do it."

edit: realized that basically he's saying 'sorry we didn't have a cop in the school that could have shot the six year old with a gun'. fucking loons, all of them.

leo3375
01-12-2023, 07:45 PM
Illinois Governor Pritzker signed an assault weapons ban last night.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/chicago/news/pritzker-signs-illinois-assault-weapons-ban/#app

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much impact this will have on the Chicagoland as Indiana and Wisconsin are right there and you know that the gun shops in Gary, IN, will be more than happy to see a surge in business from Illinois customers.

Jinsai
01-22-2023, 09:59 AM
some gunman in Monteray Park just went on a mass shooting at a dance studio. Ten people are dead, ten more injured. The suspect is still at large and it seems all the news outlets know is that he was male.

allegate
02-10-2023, 03:13 PM
you reminded me of this bonkers idea (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/virginia-gov-youngkin-pushes-police-in-elementary-schools-after-6-year-old-shoots-teacher/ar-AA16cV6D) from VA:

The response I saw on reddit - or twitter, I forget now - was basically: "Sure, because every six-year-old is reviewing the penalties for their actions before they do it."

edit: realized that basically he's saying 'sorry we didn't have a cop in the school that could have shot the six year old with a gun'. fucking loons, all of them.
update to this story: apparently the kid's a real piece of work (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/virginia-us-school-shooting-6-year-old-boy-who-shot-teacher-tried-to-choke-another-teacher-swore-hurt-students-lawyer-alleges/XLFQ2WSV65G35JNG3D4MLVQAZI/#:~:text=A%206-year-old%20Virginia%20boy%20who%20shot%20and%20wounded, filed%20by%20an%20attorney%20for%20the%20wounded%2 0teacher.).

A 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his first-grade teacher constantly cursed at staff and teachers, tried to whip students with his belt and once choked another teacher “until she couldn’t breathe,” according to a legal notice filed by an attorney for the wounded teacher.

The incidents were described in a notice sent to the Newport News school district by Diane Toscano, an attorney for teacher Abby Zwerner, informing the district that Zwerner intends to sue. The notice of claim, which was obtained by The Associated Press through a public records request, outlines prior behavioural issues the boy had at Richneck Elementary School and troubling interactions he had with teachers and students.

Two days before the shooting, the boy allegedly “slammed” Zwerner’s cellphone and broke it, according to the claim notice. He was given a one-day suspension, but when he returned to Zwerner’s class the following day, he pulled a 9mm handgun out of his pocket and shot her while she sat at a reading table, the notice says.
I don't know how that part escaped notice until recently but how are his parents still free? They should be looking at this as learned behavior and a really good reason to ask them some extra questions about their home life.

And the admin are so screwed:

The choking incident described in the notice was confirmed by the teacher. She said that in 2021, the boy came up behind her as she sat in a chair in the front of the class, locked his forearms in front of her neck and pulled back and down, hard. She said a teaching assistant pulled the boy off her.

The teacher requested anonymity because she fears potential retaliation from the school district. She said she reported the incident to school administrators, but did not receive the kind of supportive response she had hoped for from them.

“I didn’t feel safe the rest of the year because I knew if they didn’t protect me when he choked me and I couldn’t breathe, then they wouldn’t protect me, my kids or my colleagues if he did something not as harmful,” she told The Associated Press.

first of all, anonymous is a weird word because there's a report of this so, uh, that's kind of silly. But also? clearly they knew something was up and did zero to help out.

also there's a follow-up to the Brazilian MRI machine that went on a shooting spree:

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan (https://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-dies-hidden-gun-goes-182941782.html)

The 40-year-old is said to have failed to tell hospital workers that he had a gun on him after being told to remove all metal objects before entering the scanning room.

The magnetic field from the MRI scanner pulled the pro-gun lawyer’s weapon was pulled from his waistband and went off, shooting him in the tummy.Oh no, he got a boo boo. But seriously, that's in the article. wtf

cdm
02-10-2023, 03:28 PM
also there's a follow-up to the Brazilian MRI machine that went on a shooting spree:

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan (https://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-dies-hidden-gun-goes-182941782.html)
Oh no, he got a boo boo. But seriously, that's in the article. wtf

Holy shit hahahaha. Larping ass MFer shot dead by MRI machine.

marodi
02-10-2023, 05:47 PM
If that doesn't get him a Darwin Award, I don't know what will.

ickyvicky
02-13-2023, 10:18 AM
That's crazy about the 6 year old boy!

BRoswell
02-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Shooting at Michigan State University tonight. Shooter still on the loose. One dead so far, but there may be more.

bobbie solo
02-14-2023, 01:08 AM
3 dead now, more injured.

BRoswell
02-15-2023, 08:02 PM
Another shooting, this time in El Paso at the mall next to where the 2019 mass shooting took place. So far one person is dead and three injured.

chuckrh
02-15-2023, 08:56 PM
Another shooting, this time in El Paso at the mall next to where the 2019 mass shooting took place. So far one person is dead and three injured.
Strange how in these places where so many people are packing guns that these mass shootings don't get stopped. I'm for banning all hand guns & semi automatic rifles that aren't designed for hunting. It won't happen because there is too much money involved like everything else. I read today where Trump wants to have firing squads with more than one convict at a time if he gets back in. So, we'd have the government doing mass shootings. Somehow I don't think this is a good message.

BRoswell
02-15-2023, 09:12 PM
Strange how in these places where so many people are packing guns that these mass shootings don't get stopped.

It's because the people who are always packing think that, when a shooting goes down, it'll be just like a movie. They'll be in the right place at the right time to play the hero. It's less about protecting others than about stroking their own egos. Also, we as a nation are addicted to weaponry. We love guns like we love wealth and power. The time to ease up on the availability of guns has long since passed. Now we have members of congress wearing rifle pendants where they used to wear crosses. People like that don't want mass shootings to end. They either want to quietly encourage them if they involve minorities, or they want them to continue so that they can keep people afraid and get them to buy even more guns.

allegate
02-15-2023, 11:20 PM
It's because the people who are always packing think that, when a shooting goes down, it'll be just like a movie. They'll be in the right place at the right time to play the hero. It's less about protecting others than about stroking their own egos. Also, we as a nation are addicted to weaponry. We love guns like we love wealth and power. The time to ease up on the availability of guns has long since passed. Now we have members of congress wearing rifle pendants where they used to wear crosses. People like that don't want mass shootings to end. They either want to quietly encourage them if they involve minorities, or they want them to continue so that they can keep people afraid and get them to buy even more guns.that's so fucking bonkers, man.

edited to add:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4050/4493729427_7e785e61c6_n.jpg

allegate
02-16-2023, 09:33 AM
Highland Park shooting suspect's father indicted by grand jury (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/highland-park-shooting-suspect-s-father-indicted-by-grand-jury/ar-AA17xoJD?OCID=ansmsnnews11)

Background: Prosecutors allege that Crimo Jr. was criminally reckless at the time that he helped his son, Robert Eugene Crimo III, obtain a firearm license years before the shooting in Highland Park even though the then-19-year-old had threatened violence.

Highland Park police have said they were called to the family's home twice before in 2019 — once for a suicide attempt and another after Crimo III threatened his family.
After those incidents, Crimo III was still able to legally obtain a gun license — sponsored by his father — and purchase five firearms, per AP.
Of note: Crimo Jr. was arrested in December on seven counts of felony reckless conduct, and has previously denied any responsibility over the shooting.

The Lake County State’s Attorney Office did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.will it stick? will it create a fear of responsibility in these cases in a way that hasn't before? Man I sure hope so.

ekrekel
02-16-2023, 11:34 AM
that's so fucking bonkers, man.

edited to add:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4050/4493729427_7e785e61c6_n.jpg

Didn't someone ironically adopt this not knowing the source?

allegro
02-16-2023, 02:27 PM
Highland Park shooting suspect's father indicted by grand jury (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/highland-park-shooting-suspect-s-father-indicted-by-grand-jury/ar-AA17xoJD?OCID=ansmsnnews11)

will it stick? will it create a fear of responsibility in these cases in a way that hasn't before? Man I sure hope so.

This has already happening in Michigan in the Oxford school shooting.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/01/oxford-high-school-shooters-parents-fight-manslaughter-charges-in-appeals-court.html

The kid had ongoing mental issues, told his parents about them, put the issues in his journal. Did they get him help? No, they bought the kid a gun, and took him to shooting practice. They kept the gun in an unlocked drawer in a nightstand by their bed. He took the gun to school in his backpack. The school called the parents to a meeting because the kid was acting weird, drawing scary stuff; they ask parents to take the kid home. Parents refused. Nobody realized gun was in that backpack. Kid went and shot and killed a bunch of people.

That article (above) notes that a parent has been held liable, before: https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2016/07/dad_whose_daughter_killed_brot.html

However ... any precedent in this case won't likely set national precedent; it'd set state precedent.

Regarding the Highland Park shooter. Same thing. The state legislators were put on notice in this case that the existing laws or rules regarding "clear and present danger" and FOID (Firearms Owner ID) applications and whatever records the State Police keep (they issue FOIDs) weren't adequate. The Highland Park Police were called to the defendant's residence, the kid had a bunch of knives and was threatening to unalive himself and his family. The police threatened to remove the weapons, but they were evidently a "collection" of the dad's - he promised to "secure" them somewhere and to get the kid some "help." This allegedly never happened. Instead, dad ultimately sponsored the kid for a FOID and got him a gun. The State Police said they discarded the clear and present danger report after some months. *See below note.

It's not clear that the gun purchased THEN was the gun used on July 4th. But, the point, I think, with these charges against Crimo Sr., is that he failed to get help for his son, which could have prevented future stuff after Crimo Jr. was emancipated? I'm not sure how prosecutors are going to connect the dots. I know that these charges were prompted by public demand. As much as I truly believe this Crimo Jr's parents are totally awful negligent parents (and his Dad is right-wing 2nd amendment nut, and his mom is so out-there I can't even begin to describe her), I don't think the prosecutors have a case against the dad because Crimo Jr. was emancipated and living in his own apartment when he committed this crime, and purchased most of his weapons (and likely all of the ammo) after he was emancipated (turned 18).

*Note that the Illinois State Police updated the Clear and Present Danger rules after this event: https://www.wgem.com/2022/11/15/illinois-state-police-update-language-foid-card-clear-present-danger-rule/

allegate
02-16-2023, 02:56 PM
This has already happening in Michigan in the Oxford school shooting.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/01/oxford-high-school-shooters-parents-fight-manslaughter-charges-in-appeals-court.html

The kid had ongoing mental issues, told his parents about them, put the issues in his journal. Did they get him help? No, they bought the kid a gun, and took him to shooting practice. They kept the gun in an unlocked drawer in a nightstand by their bed. He took the gun to school in his backpack. The school called the parents to a meeting because the kid was acting weird, drawing scary stuff; they ask parents to take the kid home. Parents refused. Nobody realized gun was in that backpack. Kid went and shot and killed a bunch of people.

That article (above) notes that a parent has been held liable, before: https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2016/07/dad_whose_daughter_killed_brot.html

However ... any precedent in this case won't likely set national precedent; it'd set state precedent.

Regarding the Highland Park shooter. Same thing. The state legislators were put on notice in this case that the existing laws or rules regarding "clear and present danger" and FOID (Firearms Owner ID) applications and whatever records the State Police keep (they issue FOIDs) weren't adequate. The Highland Park Police were called to the defendant's residence, the kid had a bunch of knives and was threatening to unalive himself and his family. The police threatened to remove the weapons, but they were evidently a "collection" of the dad's - he promised to "secure" them somewhere and to get the kid some "help." This allegedly never happened. Instead, dad ultimately sponsored the kid for a FOID and got him a gun. The State Police said they discarded the clear and present danger report after some months. *See below note.

It's not clear that the gun purchased THEN was the gun used on July 4th. But, the point, I think, with these charges against Crimo Sr., is that he failed to get help for his son, which could have prevented future stuff after Crimo Jr. was emancipated? I'm not sure how prosecutors are going to connect the dots. I know that these charges were prompted by public demand. As much as I truly believe this Crimo Jr's parents are totally awful negligent parents (and his Dad is right-wing 2nd amendment nut, and his mom is so out-there I can't even begin to describe her), I don't think the prosecutors have a case against the dad because Crimo Jr. was emancipated and living in his own apartment when he committed this crime, and purchased most of his weapons (and likely all of the ammo) after he was emancipated (turned 18).

*Note that the Illinois State Police updated the Clear and Present Danger rules after this event: https://www.wgem.com/2022/11/15/illinois-state-police-update-language-foid-card-clear-present-danger-rule/
thanks for that side, very interesting. Also it would appear you knew I had typed out "precedent" before changing it. :)

allegro
02-16-2023, 03:01 PM
thanks for that side, very interesting. Also it would appear you knew I had typed out "precedent" before changing it. :)

I dunno, I'm on painkillers from major surgery, I'm lucky I know where I AM right now, this my first time back on a computer in a while. I had to re-read that 5x to make sure it was even vaguely coherent. LOL.

But, legal precedent kind of amends existing laws. And laws are intended to act as deterrents to crimes, but of course they aren't perfect; they don't prevent crime. People either don't know about laws, or they disregard laws. No matter how much we punish people, or how bad the punishment.

And we can ban guns, but that won't necessarily stop this, either. It's estimated that there are literally hundreds of millions of guns in the possession of American citizens out there. It'd be like if we decided to ban personal computers.

When 2nd amendment nuts are willing to sacrifice CHILDREN in the interest of upholding their right to a fucking AR-15, we've already passed the point of no return, really.

Certainly there's no coincidence that these mass shooters are always guys. You don't see women mass shooters. But, why? (Rhetorical question.)

We CERTAINLY must amend the 2nd Amendment. It was created when we didn't have a standing army. We HAVE a standing army, we've had one for a very long time. We don't need or want militias. These goofy 2A people insisting that 2A was created for them to "defend themselves against the government" is 100% false. And ridiculous.

This quote attributed to Jefferson?

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Scholars and Monticello: Jefferson never said that, it's a bullshit quote.

Our defense against tyranny? Balance of power, and our ability to vote. It ain't a stupid little AR-15, when the government has Apache helicopters, armed drones, tanks, and missiles.

Jinsai
02-16-2023, 09:15 PM
well there was that one female mass shooter... whatshername, the "I don't like mondays" person. But obviously, complete mental breakdowns aren't relegated to a sex, but to ignore the fact that 99.9% of these mass shooters are men is the elephant in the room.

ickyvicky
03-27-2023, 12:48 PM
Another school shooting in Nashville. 3 kids, 3 adults dead.
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-responding-to-active-aggressor-situation-at-covenant-school

Jinsai
03-27-2023, 07:51 PM
Right wing radio is making a big deal about how the shooter is trans

BRoswell
03-27-2023, 08:34 PM
Right wing radio is making a big deal about how the shooter is trans

No surprise there. People are already saying that trans people shouldn't have guns because they're "mentally ill". Makes your fucking head spin.

cdm
03-28-2023, 10:20 AM
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/tactical-reality

Excellent summation of the nation we live in. Extra maddening when you read the letter and then notice the date it was published after, like I did yesterday.

BRoswell
04-10-2023, 09:59 AM
Louisville shooting leaves at least 5 dead and 6 others wounded, police say (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooting-reported-louisville-police-confirm-multiple-casualties-rcna78933)

elevenism
04-10-2023, 11:56 AM
I've said it once and i'll say it again...

We need a Mass Shooting of the Week thread

ickyvicky
04-18-2023, 01:25 PM
Both of these stories are so sad

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/us/ralph-yarl-kansas-city-shooting.html

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/us/woman-shot-wrong-driveway-upstate-new-york/index.html

sweeterthan
04-18-2023, 01:39 PM
Both of these stories are so sad.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/us/ralph-yarl-kansas-city-shooting.html

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/us/woman-shot-wrong-driveway-upstate-new-york/index.html
truly. this is terrifying. you can't even turn around in someone's driveway or go to the wrong house? so fucking sad. I saw some replies on twitter with ammosexuals being like "the police didn't charge him so there must be more to the story" like no the fuck not. stop shooting people please.

allegate
04-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Hopefully this is the bit I hope it is as I can't connect any headphones. I saw Geoff on Sunday and he did this bit - which, unrelated, I felt was a little tacky since it was already on an album but I digress - and it actually made my wife laugh.

Still true though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiEn6HPQU4

ickyvicky
04-21-2023, 09:51 AM
Man accused of shooting a 6 year old and her parents arrested

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/21/1171218513/north-carolina-basketball-shooting-suspect-arrested-florida

What the fuck is going on

ickyvicky
05-03-2023, 08:56 AM
And it keeps repeating....

School shooting in Serbia
https://apnews.com/article/serbia-shooting-school-57a13ad01f4ae2377e6a9bbd88cc652f

Texas man caught and arrested after shooting 5 people
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-shooting-suspect-captured-after-manhunt-rcna82214

sweeterthan
05-03-2023, 09:28 AM
at least they caught that asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allegate
05-07-2023, 09:48 PM
https://i.insider.com/6456fafc6a3ee800190924a1?width=2000&format=jpeg&auto=webp
GOP Rep Keith Self

Texas congressman says people who think 'prayers aren't cutting it' as a solution to gun violence 'don't believe in an almighty god who is absolutely in control of our lives.' 9 people died in a mass shooting in his district yesterday.

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1655061712117137408

bobbie solo
05-08-2023, 02:19 AM
Texas is probably the most frustrating state with all this stuff. They have had nightmare scenario after nightmare scenario of various stripes happen there in the last few years, all directly the result of GOP leadership. And there are obviously more normal people with rational views than right wing freaks in the state overall. And the Dem party isn't neutered & pathetic like it is right now in Florida. They've actually mounted some solid runs for the big seats there. Yet, too many people stay home and in races like last year's governor race, Abbot won easily. So, even though its wrong, when things like this happen there, I kinda just throw my hands up & say to myself "this is what you voted for".

allegate
05-26-2023, 10:49 AM
Winnie-the-Pooh book teaches kids to ‘run, hide, fight’ in a shooting (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/winnie-the-pooh-book-teaches-kids-to-run-hide-fight-in-a-shooting/ar-AA1bIsQb?OCID=ansmsnnews11)

When Cindy Campos’s 5-year-old son came back from school, he eagerly pulled from his bag a book he’d been given at school. He wanted to read it right away.

Campos took the book and froze. On the bright red cover, next to an illustration of Winnie-the-Pooh, were the words “Run Hide Fight.”

She skimmed through the pages and found it was an instructional book intended to teach children — in rhyming lines rendered in curly font — what to do in a school shooting.

“Danger is scary, but our legendary friends Pooh and his crew are here to help us through,” reads one page.

“If danger finds us, don’t stay, run away,” reads another, accompanied by a drawing of the characters Kanga and Roo in boxing gloves. “If we can’t get away, we have to FIGHT with all our might.”Do you even need to guess which state did this?

The distribution of the books around May 15, which was first reported by the Oak Cliff Advocate, sparked a wave of concern from parents in Campos’s Dallas school district, she told The Washington Post. Campos, whose children attend Leslie A. Stemmons Elementary School, found another copy of the book in her first-grade son’s bag and later learned from a teacher that the books had been issued by their school.

ickyvicky
05-26-2023, 11:31 AM
I just had to do an active shooter training for work. It's depressing as hell. And as part of a manger role, it said we should start planning NOW how to handle memorials, setting up therapists, who's going to speak to the media, how to encourage customers to come back. What the fuck!

sweeterthan
05-26-2023, 01:14 PM
I just had to do an active shooter training for work. It's depressing as hell. And as part of a manger role, it said we should start planning NOW how to handle memorials, setting up therapists, who's going to speak to the media, how to encourage customers to come back. What the fuck!

YIKES! Wtf? we have to live like this because the gun manufacturers are our overlords now.

Jinsai
05-26-2023, 02:01 PM
Winnie-the-Pooh book teaches kids to ‘run, hide, fight’ in a shooting (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/winnie-the-pooh-book-teaches-kids-to-run-hide-fight-in-a-shooting/ar-AA1bIsQb?OCID=ansmsnnews11)

Do you even need to guess which state did this?

Man... reading this was not the right way to start the day. It reminds me of that Who is America bit where they get the guy to play along with "puppy pistol."

Maybe it's just me, but the mental image of a couple toddlers resorting to fighting for their lives with images of Winnie the Pooh running through their terrified minds as motivation... against some lunatic with a military weapon... that's fucked up. I really want to know who conceived this.

allegate
05-26-2023, 03:36 PM
I'm not linking to the story - you can know I live in Washington but the actual building I work at is probably TMI - but there was a shooting in the building a vague and uncertain number of years ago. A guy I work with was the one who tackled the shooter, and after that they implemented a two-level security where you need an employee badge to get to the employee areas.

The problem there was that it was an employee who committed the shooting so...security theater, folks!

oh, and we only have to do the online active shooter training. They were going to implement rol eplay but then Covid happened and they sent everyone home. Now if there's a workplace shooting it's more likely a spouse than a coworker.

chuckrh
05-26-2023, 05:48 PM
YIKES! Wtf? we have to live like this because the gun manufacturers are our overlords now.

It's all the military-industrial complex....don't get me started! :mad:

sweeterthan
05-26-2023, 06:49 PM
It's all the military-industrial complex....don't get me started! :mad:

actually maybe you should say more. i’ve never thought of the military being connected to the gun manufacturers but i could certainly see how that could be true.

chuckrh
05-27-2023, 08:01 AM
actually maybe you should say more. i’ve never thought of the military being connected to the gun manufacturers but i could certainly see how that could be true.

Perhaps I will but not today as I'm kind of high on pain meds. Rest assured that the gun lobby/manufacturers are part of the complex. Firearms are 1 of the few industries that haven't left the country. Big money is definitely involved. I used to work in the complex at 1 of the biggest players & saw a lot of stuff that would blow your mind. I did have to sign a NDA when I had to retire. I was like a ghost in the machine there. I hated it & I was definitely outside the norm of the worker bees. I used to get results so they put up with me & I put up with them. After over 25 years in the music biz it was quite a culture shock going to work there. The one good thing is when I got hired I bought the extra long term disability insurance & then got sick a year later. I ended up working there over 12 years which was 5 years longer than the doctors wanted me too. I had a really high pressure, high stress job & haven't missed it a minute since I left 4 years ago.

GulDukat
02-14-2024, 04:36 PM
Another damn mass shooting. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2024/02/14/shooting-erupts-at-kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-parade/?sh=5cb2fb372f95)

BRoswell
02-14-2024, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with all the right-wing bullshit about Taylor Swift.

versusreality
02-15-2024, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with all the right-wing bullshit about Taylor Swift.
thought the same

M1ke
02-15-2024, 06:16 AM
To all the people out there that argue that an american civil war might be coming, I present this as evidence that it's already happening.

EDITED TO ADD: The more I think about this, the more convinced I am of it. You've got Elon & Fox running a propaganda machine, you've got rampant homelessness and hunger, and you've got 42 mass shootings so far this year. It's already here.

richardp
02-15-2024, 09:05 AM

It had nothing to do with Taylor Swift or any right wing conspiracy theory. All local reports are saying that it was a dispute between individuals in the crowd that resulted in gunfire. There’s ZERO evidence to support anything otherwise. The gunman that was tackled and apprehended by chiefs fans was just a young black teen. And gang violence is R A M P A N T in KC so when people say “This isn’t Kansas City”, it like kinda is