PDA

View Full Version : NIN: The Greatest Hits

BRoswell
12-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Looked for a thread and didn't find one, so here we are. Trent announced that there's going to be a greatest hits compilation released in 2014, so that begs the question: what tracks do you want to hear on this damn thing?

I don't really have any suggestions since I imagine it'll somewhat follow the patter of the Definitive NIN torrent releases. One thing I would like to see is a greatest hits collection along the lines of Pink Floyd's Echoes. All the songs included get remastered and put into a proper, non-chronological edit with all the tracks flowing into each other. That would make it feel less like a greatest hits cash-in and more of a proper mix of songs supervised by Trent himself.

I also think a DVD and/or Blu-ray with all the videos they've done over the years would be a nice inclusion.

Vertigo
12-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Well, I say this about every release, but multitracks to go along with them would be fantastic, and make it more worth buying for existing fans (who might be tempted to nab the two new tracks by other means). Love the DVD/BD idea, maybe it could be padded out with interviews about each of the CD's tracks.

As for the tracklist itself, rather than just picking out the singles (which could easily fill out the disc), it might be a good idea to throw some fan favourites in there too, like Leaving Hope or The Line Begins To Blur. Not sure about remastering them as TDS, PHM and (hopefully) Fragile will already have been breathed on, and I'm not sure any of the others really need remastering.

eversonpoe
12-14-2012, 07:59 AM
and I'm not sure any of the others really need remastering.

i think any of the post-fragile albums are fine, but broken could definitely do with a good updated mix & remastering.

cashpiles (closed)
12-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Greatest Hits compilations usually include one or two new songs. So that would be wicked if that was the case with this one.

BenAkenobi
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Down in it should be on it, always loved that one

ambergris
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Let's see...

1. Closer (the signature hit)
2. Wish (got a Grammy, hey!)
3. Happiness in Slavery (got one as well)
4. Head Like a Hole (the breakthrough hit)
5. Hurt (maybe the most popular NIN song)
6. The Perfect Drug (it doesn't appear on an album format, yet)
7. The Day the World Went Away (US top 20)
8. The Hand that Feeds (UK top 10)
9. Every Day is Exactly the Same (year-end nr. on US hot Dance, also Nr.1 in Canada)
10. Survivalism (also Nr. 1 in Canada)
11. Some token Ghosts track
12. Discipline (token The Slip track)

^^ Those are the must-haves

But in my opinion, there should also be:

13. Burn (the most prominent 'rare' song?)
14. Deep (of course!)
15. That Tetsuo Song (the most recent NIN production?)
16. some random song because there's one slot left (Sin, or March of the Pigs, or Starfuckers Inc., or even I'm Afraid of Americans?) Edit: No wait, Leaving Hope!
17. a new song (please?)
18. a new song (pretty please?)
19. That's What I Get (no, that was a joke)

seasonsinthesky
12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
err, two new songs are confirmed for the release. it was right in the announcement, people.

they're gonna have to leave off some singles to make room for them. as it stands, a chronological mix of all the singles hits a full single CD runtime (~78 mins):
Head Like a Hole (Clay, one assumes)
Down in It
Sin (one of the single versions, probably Short)
Wish
Happiness in Slavery (edit?)
March of the Pigs
Closer (full length or possibly the radio edit)
Hurt (quiet?)
The Perfect Drug (complete version, i hope)
The Day the World Went Away (single version?)
We're in This Together (radio edit?)
Starfuckers, Inc. (either the Halo 13 version or "Starsuckers"?)
The Hand That Feeds
Only
Every Day is Exactly the Same (radio version? it's better than the original anyway...)
Survivalism
Discipline

and that's leaving off Into the Void, too. so either a few will be dropped (probably Sin and maybe Discipline? it wasn't on Interscope, right?) or this is going to be split across discs. it'd be cool to have this as the main disc and have a bonus disc with the new songs and outtakes and b-sides. good place for Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity, at least.

and a music video collection would be awesome, especially if it has treats like the Into the Void alternate video and the Mark Pellington WITT!

Blackbookpress1984
12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Seeing as all of this is speculation, I would love to see some some sort of dexlue packagin that includeds more then just 2 cds worth of material and some digital content. A book would be really nice. (Choeed & cambria did thei when they released the neverender set) and they will do a nother book when the 2nd part of the new album comes out.

The book could include scans of orrigional lyrics sheets, maybe some sort of duccumentation of the artwork for the covers and a short descripton of how the songs came to be. Also, being that its going to be released in the year that marks 25 years for the band, a brief history and maybe some photo doccumentation could round out the package nicely.

What do I think they will actually realease? Mayeb a doubel disc set, or a dvd/ dvd/blu ray set with the standard saong in audio or maybe music videos. I really dont see them puching the envelope too much on this in terms of packaing due to the fact that its only going to be old material with 2 new songs.

Time will tell I guess.

But whatever it is, I know I will be picking one up. :)

gorast
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think we'll be seeing anything from The Slip on this one since it's an Interscope compilation, so Discipline and Echoplex (and most likely Tetsuo) are out. And there's no way Ghosts would've made it on anyway.

I'd like to see maybe half of the album be composed of obligatory hit singles (Head Like a Hole, Hurt, Closer, etc.), with the other half being non-singles that Trent is particularly proud of (maybe La Mer, Leaving Hope, In This Twilight/Zero-Sum, Reptile, make sure all the TVT/Interscope records are accounted for) and of course the two new tracks.

I forgot that 2014 is another anniversary year, so hopefully we'll get a cool DVD with some sort of featurette about NIN and all the music videos. Just as long as Interscope doesn't pull that "eight million versions of the same album" bullshit. I'd buy all of them anyway, but I hope that doesn't happen.

[Shep]
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
1. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 1
2. New Song 1
3. Ringfinger
4. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 2
5. New Song 2
6. Broken tracks 7 - 97
7. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 3

I Fail to see how this could be improved upon.

Warped_Savant
12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
[Shep] -- There's a couple of other mixes of Starfuckers you could add in; just for good measure, of course.

piggy
12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
While it would be a real shame to leave off any PHM tracks, a compilation covering only the Interscope years would probably be something like this:

Wish
Happiness In Slavery
March of The Pigs
Closer
Hurt
The Perfect Drug
The Day The World Went Away
We're In This Together
Into The Void
Starfuckers, Inc.
The Hand That Feeds
Only
Every Day Is Exactly The Same
Survivalism
Capital G
New Song
New Song

Various edits would probably have to be used (especially for WITT) in order to make room for the new tracks, or else one of the tracks chopped. And a second disc of random rarities would be cool.

gorast
12-15-2012, 12:38 AM
I completely forgot that Interscope doesn't own the PHM tracks. That sucks. Maybe they'll work out a deal with Bicycle to have one or two tracks on the album, if they care enough.

sheepdean
12-15-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm sure PHM, Ghosts and The Slip will feature, if Interscope only has one Greatest Hits in their contract, they're not gonna fuck it up and leave off Head Like A Hole, the grammy-nominated 36 Ghosts and Discipline.

BenAkenobi
12-15-2012, 03:53 AM
PHM songs as live recordings may be a valid workaround, i guess

cashpiles (closed)
12-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Head Like A Hole
Down In It
Sin or Terrible Lie

Wish
Last

Burn

Heresy
March Of The Pigs
Closer
Hurt

The Perfect Drug

We're In This Together
Into The Void
Starfuckers, Inc.

Deep

The Hand That Feeds
Only

Survivalism
My Violent Heart

Discipline

(this list doesn't all my personal favorites..although all of the songs included are personal favorites.)

WorzelG
12-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm sure PHM, Ghosts and The Slip will feature, if Interscope only has one Greatest Hits in their contract, they're not gonna fuck it up and leave off Head Like A Hole, the grammy-nominated 36 Ghosts and Discipline.

was it 36? I thought it was 34

sleepless
12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
34 Ghosts was nominated for Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the 2009 Grammys

sheepdean
12-15-2012, 06:36 PM
There are 38 of the damn things, I can't remember which numbers are which

ghostaustin
12-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I like the "Echoes" idea of having the tracks remastered and reordered. I could see whatever he comes up with for that being padded at the front and back by the two new songs.

edit: or start the compilation with My Violent Heart. I love starting mixes/playlists with that song. But I highly doubt Interscope would go for that.

gorast
12-15-2012, 08:20 PM
There are 38 of the damn things, I can't remember which numbers are which
But 34's like the best one, that's the one I always remember

wizfan
12-16-2012, 12:21 AM
It would be funny if there were snippets of less well-known songs or remixes here and there. Remember how The Fragile CD had a portion of Ten Miles High? Imagine Happiness in Slavery having a portion of Screaming Slave at the end.

No, wait, that would suck.

MrSlfDstruct
12-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I thought it was cool that Slipknot mixed in live versions of songs in their greatest hits release to make it something a little different than a straight up collection of songs every fan already has. Maybe something like that (maybe even Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie), even though there is already a lot of live material available.

In some ways the internet kind of sucks :p. Much fewer surprises available these days.

botley
12-19-2012, 12:17 AM
The way the music industry's been treating reissue/catalogue releases lately, you can bet there'll be several different formats. One-disc standard digipak, deluxe gatefold with bonus CD, deluxe box set with DVD, heavyweight vinyl... hopefully one of these is actually worth buying.

AgentofChaos
12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Now I'm Nothing and Homme Year Zero track are the two "new" songs I think that need to be on there. Even if Now I'm Nothing was recorded during the NINJA era, or even now, that's totally cool with me as long as it's producted to mash up with TL.

Now I'm Nothing
Terrible Lie
Ruiner
The Fragile
Piggy
March of the Pigs
Wish
Closer
The Hand That Feeds
Something I Can Never Have
The Perfect Drug
YZ Homme
Happiness in Slavery
We're in this Together
Hurt
Head Like a Hole

sheepdean
12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
It'd be nice if Theme for Tetsuo and Zoo Station were on there actually, because for a casual listener those are impossible to get.

And I think that's what's important to remember, this album is not for us, not for a single person on this board. It's for people who kinda like that fuck you like an animal song, or want to hear who did Hurt originally. It's a gateway to the band, and so putting on songs that aren't either singles or quickly accessible just won't be fruitful.

Unless it's some huge, 4 disc compilation because Trent can't choose which ones to put on.

jmtd
12-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty confident TR will put out a quality product, no matter the disdain/circumstances for its release. If he didn't care he'd have pumped it out already. So that's good.

I don't think random tracks like Zoo station and Tetsuo belong on a "greatest hits", personally.

jessamineny
12-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a feeling that TR doesn't despise Interscope anywhere near as much as some of you think he does.

And I suspect that he has way more respect for his fans (longtime, casual or future) than all of this "what-two-old-songs-can-secretly-qualify-as-two-new-songs" speculation would entail.

I also think he and the record label would absolutely like to sell one of those greatest hits albums to every single one of us on this board. Why wouldn't you try to at least entice a built-in customer base?

I think two new songs... means two new songs.

tracksfade
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
we're probably not going to expect too much from this release other than useless redundancy, perhaps why trent's dreading putting this release out. with that i hope it's concise and to the point, less filler.

[now i'm nothing] ??
head like a hole
survivalism
down in it
wish
the hand that feeds
discipline
march of the pigs
closer
every day is exactly the same
sin
only
the perfect drug
we're in this together
hurt

i also wonder if trent would consider putting out a second disk showing off his personal remixes? i mean, what's a proper nin release without some form of construction/deconstruction?

closer to god
art of self destruction, part one
head like a hole (opal)
the day the world went away (quiet)
right where it belongs v2
the perfect drug (nin remix)
slipping away
all the pigs, all lined up
happiness in slavery (fixed version)
[the new flesh (tfa.com version)] ??

as for the new tracks, something to round off the past 20+ years for the fans, a studio release of 'now i'm nothing', and maybe even the remix of 'the new flesh' from tfa.com?? one can hope...

sheepdean
01-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I wonder if Interscope will press for a deluxe version?

gorast
01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Didn't the New Yorker article specifically say that Trent was creating new music for the compilation, not just pulling shit out of the vault? I personally want brand-new music, not shit that we've heard for twenty fuckin' years that Trent's dusting off to make the compilation worthwhile in the shallowest way possible.

I'd like the idea of a second disc being a Greatest Hits selection of remixes, maybe even a couple unannounced new ones. Can't be too hard to create a good remix.

henryeatscereal
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I would love a "Deluxe edition" with NIN's "B-sides" (Purest Feeling, Now Im Nothing, Maybe just once, Tetsuo theme, etc...)

danebraddy
01-03-2013, 11:42 PM
A few years back there was those 'hits' collections floating around (one of them was 'Deep Cuts'), was that a leaked track list from a planned interscope release or was it all fan made?

Leviathant
01-04-2013, 01:21 AM
The answer to your question is "neither."

jmtd
01-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Re NIN-into-TL. If it was going to happen I reckon it would be a live recording from the wave goodbye tour, which would be the best technically captured version to exist. Having said that I've always loved how heavy TL sounded on the back of NIN on '91 era bootlegs. I can't recall right now, did they do a heavier TL segue in '09 at all?

TheBang
01-08-2013, 03:40 AM
A few years back there was those 'hits' collections floating around (one of them was 'Deep Cuts'), was that a leaked track list from a planned interscope release or was it all fan made?
It might help you understand where they came from if you consider that the Definitive NIN collections to which you refer were originally released via BitTorrent on the Pirate Bay, and that the same user that uploaded The Definitive NIN torrents also later uploaded the Closure DVD and Broken movie DVD torrents.

http://thepiratebay.se/user/seed0/

sheepdean
01-08-2013, 05:36 AM
The tracklist of all 4 are on the wiki - I think The Singles will be roughly what this greatest hits will be, with a couple of Deep Cuts for measure. http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

danebraddy
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
It might help you understand where they came from if you consider that the Definitive NIN collections to which you refer were originally released via BitTorrent on the Pirate Bay, and that the same user that uploaded The Definitive NIN torrents also later uploaded the Closure DVD and Broken movie DVD torrents.

I had picked that up by Levi's comment :)
I agree with sheepdean though, I think the 'Singles' collection is close to what we'll see - with modifications. If it's more of a 'Best of' rather than just the singles, The Perfect Drug may not make the cut, seeing as Trent isn't a fan of the song in general.

Assuming that Trent has ultimate power over the tracklist.

sheepdean
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
If they don't put TPD on then Trent is just petty, it's already not on any album and never played live despite being one of NIN's few #1s

sore_and_crucified
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Am I the only one who hates the idea of a 'greatest hits'? Of all the artists out there, I never thought there would be a NIN hits package.

sheepdean
01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Am I the only one who hates the idea of a 'greatest hits'? Of all the artists out there, I never thought there would be a NIN hits package.
I think they're great things - the greatest hits, or compilation album, has been in existence for almost as long as commercial recorded sound, it lets people dip in and find music without having to be a crazy fan and buying everything obsessively.

Blackbookpress1984
01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Personally, I am also not a fan of the greatest hits "albums"
Unless you are going to go through and re-master things, or include unreleased material, its simply a way for bands to milk the shit out of songs they made a long time ago, and get people wo buy more shit. Especially these days with itunes and torrents, greatest hits records / comps really dont need to be around much.

A quick search on amazon.com for greatest hits rutrns these artists:
Pink
3 doors down
&Kelly Clarkson

among band such as

Journey
Creedence Clearwater revival
Queen

Do the firsth three bands really even need to be mentioned on the "greatest hits" conversation as it pertains to music over time. Probably not.

fillow
01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
its simply a way for bands record labels to milk the shit out of songs they made a long time ago, and get people wo buy more shit.
now this sounds more like it

Blackbookpress1984
01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
now this sounds more like it

Well played sir. Point being, unless your band is one of the greats, and has a 20 plus albums and has toured the world over, you probably do need a greatest hits album. However, if your label wants you to have one, it will probably happeen, so just like you said: they can make more money.

In Trent's case, I think were past the point of speculation as to wether or not his is happening. So, back to speculation, I would like to see something cool, like a book with rare photos, or a collection of early press material, which probaly wont happen, and you can get all of it on ebay already. But something "deluxe" would be cool if its not rediculously expensive / limmited. Coheed and Cambria did a nice box set for their "never ender" shows, and US did a good one for something recently too. The Pearl Jam "10" deluxe reissue was sweet. But, heres to hoping.

carpenoctem
01-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm actually in favor of greatest hits releases because if they are done properly they can be a great introduction to an artist with a huge and seemingly impenetrable body of work. Now of course for us this is no big deal, we've all obsessed over and picked apart every Nails song for years, but this could be good for the uninitiated. Of course it's also true that it's a lousy last-ditch gambit for record labels, but what isn't these days?

We'll see the usual, which everyone else here has already adequately predicted. I'd be thrilled to see Perfect Drug, Burn or Deep on there too, not because they're particularly good but because I like odds-n-sods to be gathered together into one place. The only thing I'm really into is the two new tracks, because I have no idea what they could be. I'm sure they'll be either forgettable or revolting or Trent would've already released them, but whatever, I'm down.

hellospaceboy
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
When I first heard the news of a Greatest Hits my heart sank. WTF, right? This is like the LEAST exciting new release news in NIN's history...

Then I thought about it. I remember feeling the same way when I heard the news of a concert/live album coming out in 2002. I don't really remember WHY I hated the idea, maybe I felt that there were enough bootlegs around, I don't know. But what I do know is that the moment I held AATCHB, I knew it was great. It didn't feel like a ripoff, or a cash in. I should have trusted Trent Reznor to come up with something great and worth buying, and now it's honestly one of my favorites.

I think it's a safe bet that this release will be similar (in quality). I'm sure Trent's enough of a control freak that we're not going to get some half-assed collection.

FernandoDante
01-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Whatever this Greatest Hits album becomes, it sure as fuck won't be as comprehensive as:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

But I'm guessing it'll be a lot similar to this:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles

BenAkenobi
01-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Whatever this Greatest Hits album becomes, it sure as fuck won't be as comprehensive as:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

But I'm guessing it'll be a lot similar to this:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles

i'm for the simpler approach to this. the whole definitive nin selections are too huge, because even if overlapping songs are removed, they're still about one third of the entire discography. if the greatest hits is just 1 CD (with liner notes including Trent's comments on each song) and 1 DVD (with every music video and a few trailers) i'm perfectly fine. when i see large (triple disk or more) boxsets in shops i'm usually thinking "no, i'm not buying that, i'll only maybe like a handful of songs and the rest of the price (and shelf space) would be wasted".

sheepdean
01-22-2013, 07:02 AM
I think double disc is probably an appropriate length - I wonder if the delay in it coming out (2014 instead of 2013) is also related to tinkering, doing an Echoes style total remix, or even a 5.1 mix

jessamineny
01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
It's been more than five years since he left Interscope, and it seems like everyone has known that a Greatest Hits would be inevitable. I doubt it's tinkering. More likely that it's timed to an assumed Hall of Fame nomination.

gorast
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
It might be because Trent bargained with Interscope to let HTDA have a year of exposure without NIN releases to compete with.

jmtd
01-23-2013, 02:20 AM
I prefer single comps to greatest hits, but NIN doesn't have enough singles. Depeche Mode's 86-98 was my intro to them and IMHO is a fantastic collection, no filler all killer. I think I started with the chemical brothers, omd, new order, joy division, erasure, the kinks and no doubt more I've forgotten via singles comps. Having said that the cure greatest hits sucks.

eversonpoe
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Having said that the cure greatest hits sucks.

that's because the cure's singles have typically been good, but are rarely the best songs on the albums from which they originate.

jmtd
01-23-2013, 08:58 AM
that's because the cure's singles have typically been good, but are rarely the best songs on the albums from which they originate.

That and it's not comprehensive, e.g. "Pictures of You" and "Fascination Street" both missing (IMHO the stronger 2/4 singles from Disintegration by a very small margin); no Elise, "Charlotte Sometimes", Arab… it leans towards the light and underrepresents the dark.

hobochic
01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Greatest Shits!

*badum-tsss*

Senateguard33
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm actually in favor of greatest hits releases because if they are done properly they can be a great introduction to an artist with a huge and seemingly impenetrable body of work. Now of course for us this is no big deal, we've all obsessed over and picked apart every Nails song for years, but this could be good for the uninitiated. Of course it's also true that it's a lousy last-ditch gambit for record labels, but what isn't these days?

We'll see the usual, which everyone else here has already adequately predicted. I'd be thrilled to see Perfect Drug, Burn or Deep on there too, not because they're particularly good but because I like odds-n-sods to be gathered together into one place. The only thing I'm really into is the two new tracks, because I have no idea what they could be. I'm sure they'll be either forgettable or revolting or Trent would've already released them, but whatever, I'm down.

I agree here. I also really like Greatest Hits/Best Ofs, There are plenty of bands that I like, but I would never want to own their entire discographies. In that case, a compilation does just fine.

Senateguard33
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
That and it's not comprehensive, e.g. "Pictures of You" and "Fascination Street" both missing (IMHO the stronger 2/4 singles from Disintegration by a very small margin); no Elise, "Charlotte Sometimes", Arab… it leans towards the light and underrepresents the dark.

The Cure also released two separate singles compilations, and those songs are there. I would recommend those over the Greatest Hits.

jaypayton
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
The Cure also released a 4disc set compiling all their B sides and rare tracks....and they recorded an acoustic album as a bonus disc for their greatest hits album which was great

eversonpoe
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
The Cure also released a 4disc set compiling all their B sides and rare tracks....and they recorded an acoustic album as a bonus disc for their greatest hits album which was great

yeah, the Join The Dots (b-sides) box is great, as is the acoustic companion disc that came with some versions of the greatest hits. but without that bonus disc, it's pretty ho-hum.

talkingnothing
08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
so, now that hesitation marks is happening, is interscope still going to release the greatest hits soon? and what does it mean for the "2 new tracks?" I imagine they wouldn't be came back haunted and copy of a.. right? columbia has the rights to those 2 correct? just wondering.

OSLIN
08-13-2013, 11:24 AM
so, now that hesitation marks is happening, is interscope still going to release the greatest hits soon? and what does it mean for the "2 new tracks?" I imagine they wouldn't be came back haunted and copy of a.. right? columbia has the rights to those 2 correct? just wondering.

Interscope will prob just be handed HM leftovers.

brokenfragility
08-13-2013, 11:25 AM

The two tracks were Everything and Satellite (I think)

onthewall2983
08-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Most likely. I'd guess that they will put out the compilation sometime later in the year if they're still gunning for a 2013 release. Wouldn't make much sense if they put it out around the same time as the album.

binaryhermit
08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I'd bet that the 2 new tracks won't be anything released on HM.

thefragile_jake
08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Most likely. I'd guess that they will put out the compilation sometime later in the year if they're still gunning for a 2013 release. Wouldn't make much sense if they put it out around the same time as the album.

I think it's still scheduled for a 2014 release.

Fist Fuck
08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I'd bet that the 2 new tracks won't be anything released on HM.

They are on HM, Everything and Satellite.

Also, just because those songs are released on HM doesn't mean a greatest hits record can't be done. Really shitty how Trent still owes them a greatest hits record, but they pulled the plug on the Lights in the Sky Live album/dvd.

I just hope there will be something special in the greatest hits package. On the other hand I just wish Trent fucked them over and made it extra shitty :D

binaryhermit
08-13-2013, 01:53 PM
They are on HM, Everything and Satellite.

Well, I can't see a greatest hits record without a previously unreleased track or two, and those won't be previously unreleased by the time the greatest hits record comes out. Plus, they're property of Columbia, not Interscope.

tony.parente
08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I think it's still scheduled for a 2014 release.

IDGAF about the greatest hits, but I was hoping that the fragile rerelease would be coming next year.
If 2014 is the year of the greatest hits then we'll be waiting till 2015 minimum for the rerelease.

FUCK

r_z
08-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Don't forget the 10th anniversary deluxe 2xCD edition of A_Witha_Teetha.

Amaro
08-13-2013, 03:47 PM
I believe this GH may be interesting now... Or not. He has to give them two new songs? If so, then they can't be on HM. So, HM leftovers or actually brand new songs will be it. Within whatever the deadline is.

skullboy0
08-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Plus, they're property of Columbia, not Interscope.

iTunes says copyright 2013 Null Corporation, under exclusive license to Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.

I don't think it's a traditional major label deal, probably a licensing deal as described by David Byrne in this article: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPage=all

Krazy
08-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Does he in fact owe Interscope anything? I was under the impression a greatest hits record was BS with his "I've been less than honest about what I've really been up to lately" comment, and was working on strictly HM. I'm no expert of the music biz side either but just seems weird or awkward to have Columbia, then sometime soon have Interscope put together a "new" NIN record. (I can't recall another band doing this, could be completely normal for all I know though)

Yay? Nay? Thoughts? Anyone other than me need a beer?

pigpen
08-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I think I read somewhere that in addition to whatever the number of albums he signed on for, he'd have to do a greatest hits to fully meet his contract.

fuckit
08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
kinda funny how things turned out. Even though trent is sick of interscope, they are partly responsible for HM's creation.

gorast
08-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty sure way back in 2008 or 09 he mentioned that he owed the GH to Interscope, or that they had the right to put one together without him. I think, because of the latter, he elected to work on new material for it to ensure that it wasn't a 100% Halo-numbered cash-grab. It's very likely still on track to be released, so he might throw some b-sides at them, or slap together two tracks for it after the tour.

bigbadjesus
08-13-2013, 05:32 PM
No love for the great destroyer in this thread it seems.

steelnails95
08-13-2013, 10:51 PM
I really want to like "The Great Destroyer" but I just don't like it... the remix is pretty good tho

thefragile_jake
08-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure way back in 2008 or 09 he mentioned that he owed the GH to Interscope, or that they had the right to put one together without him. I think, because of the latter, he elected to work on new material for it to ensure that it wasn't a 100% Halo-numbered cash-grab. It's very likely still on track to be released, so he might throw some b-sides at them, or slap together two tracks for it after the tour.

This was what I was wondering about too, since he wanted to make sure it was something substantial...I assume this will be a Halo numbered release?

I'd love to see something along the lines of a 2-disc kind of set which could feature the hits on one disc and some b-sides/deep cuts/new tracks on a second.

Amaro
08-13-2013, 11:14 PM
I don't know why we're suddenly talking about TGD, but I dig me some off-topic splurging: I enjoy the first half, it has some of the most promise and allure found on the record (and Trent sounds beautiful), but since I generally really dislike the electronic sounds of YZ, the rest of my opinion about the song should be obvious enough.

\\

Legally speaking, CBH can appear on the GH, right? Just thinking about the status quo being changed since the unintentional writing for a new album began...and CBH being the most recent single, on Columbia.

Merriweather
08-13-2013, 11:41 PM
I get the feeling that greatest hits albums with 1 or 2 "new" songs are pretty standard across the board for major labels. Maybe the reworked Sanctified can wind up on there?

If doing a greatest hits album helps get the ultimate, deluxe, whatever edition of The Fragile out finally, I'm all for it.

BenAkenobi
08-13-2013, 11:48 PM
well, some other band i pay close attention to has released 2 songs as (download-only singles) and 2 other songs as (CD singles) for their latest album. why can't nin?

Leviathant
08-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Does he in fact owe Interscope anything?

I believe Nine Inch Nails has a fairly traditional "seven record deal" with Universal/Interscope. Counting The Fragile as two records, that means he still is on contract for one more record. His relationship with Universal is sour enough that during the creation of two songs for the long-in-the-works greatest hits album, he assembled a full length and chose to instead release that independently (on license to Columbia). Greatest hits is still probably in the cards, as that's about as good as Universal's going to get.

pigpen
08-14-2013, 12:54 AM
I hope this GH means that he'll start with the intention of making two new songs for it, and continuously wind up creating and releasing entire albums of
new material!
Just. Cant....STOP!

Fred
08-14-2013, 01:17 AM
I'd rather see a rarity or two in there than a pair of new, exclusive tracks. Nine Inch Nails makes albums. Sure, they're putting out singles, but there are so many songs that only work within the context of an album. My interpretation, of course, but I can't see Trent making one-off tracks any time soon. He needs a broader canvas than that to express himself.

No, give me a studio recording of Now, I'm Nothing as the first track, preceding Terrible Lie. And something from the sessions for The Fragile. If he really wants to flick Universal the bird, he should put Just Do It on there, if it was ever recorded.

Kyle
08-14-2013, 02:47 AM
I think the Gold Standard for Greatest Hits packages is The Beastie Boys' The Sounds of Science. It has their hits, it has album tracks, it has b-sides, it has a couple songs from their unreleased country album, etc. And it's not set up with the hits on the first disc and the other stuff on the second. It's all interwoven together. My OCD side would like it a bit more chronological than it is on that album, but either way, it's still a greatest hit's album that has some thought and care put into it and not just the hits thrown together with the shortest version you can find so that you can fit more of the trendy songs on it and throw all the other stuff on the second CD or "deluxe edition." If Trent releases something like that, I'd be all over that bad boy.

edit - I just googled the album and found out this which I didn't even know (from the Wikipedia page) - Customers could also purchase a custom version of the album from Grand Royal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Royal) featuring the B-sides and rarities that they wanted through mail order.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_Boys_Anthology:_The_Sounds_of_Science#cite _note-2)

GavinCollins420
08-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Am I right in assuming there won't be any Slip or Ghosts tracks on the Greatest Hits because they weren't released via Interscope?

eversonpoe
08-14-2013, 08:07 AM
why do people keep calling it "the day the WHOLE world went away"? i know that's the line in the song, but it's not the actual title. (i've seen five or six people do this recently in various threads)

eversonpoe
08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Does it really matter?

none of this really matters...

no, seriously, though, it doesn't. i was just curious simply because i've seen more than one or two people do it.

Kyle
08-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Am I right in assuming there won't be any Slip or Ghosts tracks on the Greatest Hits because they weren't released via Interscope?

That's probably an incorrect assumption. They're copyright Trent so if he wants to put them on, they'll be there. PHM is the bigger question, but didn't I see interscope in the copyright info for the remastered PHM or am I imagining that?

Max Leo
08-14-2013, 09:50 AM
What about the HM songs? I mean the singles, not the 2 initially written for the GH. Will they include the songs released under a contract with Columbia? CBH, CoA, maybe Running... the main singles/hits of the new album. Will those songs be included in a GH or will it include just the "Interscope era"?

BenAkenobi
08-14-2013, 09:52 AM
...or will it include just the "Interscope era"?

To be titled like Singles 92-07?

ManOfAtom
08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
What about the HM songs? I mean the singles, not the 2 initially written for the GH. Will they include the songs released under a contract with Columbia? CBH, CoA, maybe Running... the main singles/hits of the new album. Will those songs be included in a GH or will it include just the "Interscope era"?

HM is coming out under Polydor in the UK, who as with Interscope are owned by Universal.
It's a great big mess of labels.

PhoenixML
08-14-2013, 10:25 AM
I believe Nine Inch Nails has a fairly traditional "seven record deal" with Universal/Interscope. Counting The Fragile as two records, that means he still is on contract for one more record. His relationship with Universal is sour enough that during the creation of two songs for the long-in-the-works greatest hits album, he assembled a full length and chose to instead release that independently (on license to Columbia). Greatest hits is still probably in the cards, as that's about as good as Universal's going to get.

I thought Year Zero Remixed was his last record in the contract with Interscope. And somehow the Greatest Hits could be fulfilled after the contract.

Kyle
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
HM is a bit different in that its copyright null corporation with distributing rights by universal. What that means to the greatest hits I don't know tbh but it's not quite the same thing.

frankie teardrop
08-14-2013, 11:11 AM
just speculation, but a lot of contracts come complete with a greatest hits addition: 7 albums + a greatest hits that doesn't count towards that total.

edit because captain obvious:
i highly, highly doubt any hesitation marks tracks will be on the GH. you will likely see two archival leftovers or brand new tracks. if columbia is in charge of HM, it would take a huge stretch of some rigid contracts to work out some agreement to include 'copy of a' or 'came back haunted' soon after the album comes out. you may see some slip/ghosts if trent chooses to put them on there as he owns the rights, but you likely won't see anything from HM until a more career-spanning GH happens if/when the name is completely retired.

think of it this way, there are two RHCP greatest hits collections, as well as two REMs, to cover the different labels and eras of the band. REM *did* release a career spanning GH once they broke up for good, but they were likely able to work out an agreement between IRS and warner brothers...

if they were smart, the GH would come out in a month or two, in time for the US tour, or perhaps early next year if the tour continues in the US. now's as good a time as ever, i guess.

Collin
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I hope it looks something like this:

1. Now I'm Nothing (recorded 2013 version)
2. Terrible Lie
3. Head Like A Hole
4. Wish
5. Closer (shorter 4-min edit)
5. March Of The Pigs
6. Hurt (Quiet)
7. The Day The World Went Away
8. We're In This Together (Radio edit)
9. The Hand That Feeds
10. Only
12. Every Day Is Exactly The Same
13. Survivalism
14. Capital G
15. 1 Ghosts I (just to get a track from here on it)
16. 1,000,000
17. Discipline
18. Copy of A
19. Came Back Haunted (radio edit)

OSLIN
08-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Nine Inch Nails Anthology (1989-2007)

Disc One (1989-1998)

01 Head Like a Hole
02 Terrible Lie
03 Down In It
04 Sin
05 Wish
06 March of the Pigs
07 Closer
08 Hurt
09 Burn
10 The Perfect Drug
11 *Bonus Track

Disc Two (1999-2007)

01 The Day the World Went Away
02 We're In This Together
03 Into the Void
04 Starfuckers, Inc.
05 Deep
06 The Hand That Feeds
07 Every Day is Exactly the Same
08 Only
09 Survivalism
10 Captial G
11 *Bonus Track

PhoenixML
08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
^ you're missing Deep and Into The Void. Else it sounds perfect.

OSLIN
08-14-2013, 04:28 PM
^ you're missing Deep and Into The Void. Else it sounds perfect.

Yeah, I should edit it to not include The Slip, considering that's not an Interscope release.

Much better

tony.parente
08-14-2013, 05:28 PM
I just wanna say I hate when greatest hits albums arrange the tracks in chronological order.
Hope this thing doesn't do that, not that i'll listen to it unless it has something special on it.

eversonpoe
08-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I just wanna say I hate when greatest hits albums arrange the tracks in chronological order.
Hope this thing doesn't do that, not that i'll listen to it unless it has something special on it.

i definitely prefer when they arrange them into a more flowing order, as if it's a great mixtape. chronological order tends to yield awful results in the flow department.

OSLIN
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM

I'm guessing it will be. Unless T Rez plays a part and delivers something unique. Which I could see because it has the NIN name on it. I mean what's the last we've heard of this.

xfocalinx
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Out of curiosity, where was it stated that "everything" and "satellite" would be included in the GH track list?

Fist Fuck
08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Out of curiosity, where was it stated that "everything" and "satellite" would be included in the GH track list?

In this article here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor

Stupid question, but...is there a textbook definition of what a "greatest hits" record has to be like? Because I can't imagine Trent just putting the singles on a CD and sell it like that. I bet he'll try to find a loophole to make something cool with it. Even if there's gonna be a CD with all the singles or whatever, the cool part will probably be disc 2.

RJK
08-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I read that to mean he didn't want to waste them on the greatest hits album and put them on the new record instead of the GH.

thefragile_jake
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Nine Inch Nails Anthology (1989-2007)

Disc One (1989-1998)

01 Head Like a Hole
02 Terrible Lie
03 Down In It
04 Sin
05 Wish
06 March of the Pigs
07 Closer
08 Hurt
09 Burn
10 The Perfect Drug
11 *Bonus Track

Disc Two (1999-2007)

01 The Day the World Went Away
02 We're In This Together
03 Into the Void
04 Starfuckers, Inc.
05 Deep
06 The Hand That Feeds
07 Every Day is Exactly the Same
08 Only
09 Survivalism
10 Captial G
11 *Bonus Track

This is a pretty solid collection! I suppose I'm only just really excited to see this being released just on the collector side of things...I'd love to see what Trent will come up with design and package wise.

xfocalinx
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
In this article here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor

Thank you!

Space Suicide
08-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Greatest Hits compilations usually include one or two new songs. So that would be wicked if that was the case with this one.

Hesitation Marks comes out this year so I don't see why that'd be worthwhile to do.

PhoenixML
08-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Stupid question, but...is there a textbook definition of what a "greatest hits" record has to be like? Because I can't imagine Trent just putting the singles on a CD and sell it like that. I bet he'll try to find a loophole to make something cool with it. Even if there's gonna be a CD with all the singles or whatever, the cool part will probably be disc 2.

A "Greatest Hits" has singles that have been "popular". Most of the times, it's missing some singles that didn't chart very well.

A "Single Collection" will contain all the singles. Not a very popular one.

A "Best of" is a selection of songs that the artist(s) or the label feel are relevant.

An "Essential Collection" is neither. The band sucks. Or the label is making money off the band.

[Shep]
08-14-2013, 08:29 PM
I can see Trent fobbing interscope off with the Definitive singles that we've had for years (artwork included).

Fist Fuck
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
A "Greatest Hits" has singles that have been "popular". Most of the times, it's missing some singles that didn't chart very well.

A "Single Collection" will contain all the singles. Not a very popular one.

A "Best of" is a selection of songs that the artist(s) or the label feel are relevant.

An "Essential Collection" is neither. The band sucks. Or the label is making money off the band.

Thanks. A best of would make so much more sense than a greatest hits record then, but okay.

MrSlfDstruct
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
A legit recording of Now I'm Nothing would convince me to buy this regardless of anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came out as a run of the mill greatest hits release sans Halo designation, along with a Twitter remark from Trent that it's bullshit, as he's been saying for years.

I know he's said he's under contract for the GH, but has he said the contract requires him to provide any new material?

[Shep]
08-14-2013, 09:05 PM
has he said the contract requires him to provide any new material?

Yeah he's mentioned he owes two new singles.

sheepdean
08-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Not understanding all the hope for a Ghosts track on this thing. It would (probably) be the only instrumental on the record and would throw the flow of the tracklisting out of whack, especially if it's at the end of the record.
34 Ghosts got grammy-nominated, and if the album is meant to show the best of NIN, that's kind of an obvious one

gorast
08-14-2013, 09:39 PM
34 is the only Ghosts track that makes any kind of sense for a Greatest Hits record, really. It's nice and long, has distinct sections, and of course, there's the Grammy nod as Sheepdean mentioned.

PhoenixML
08-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Not understanding all the hope for a Ghosts track on this thing. It would (probably) be the only instrumental on the record and would throw the flow of the tracklisting out of whack, especially if it's at the end of the record.

Exactly, except...
The Slip, Welcome Oblivion, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Year Zero

OSLIN
08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
The Best of Nine Inch Nails (1989-2009)

Disc One (1989-1993)

01 Now I'm Nothing (Live)
02 Pinion (Live)
03 Terrible Lie (Live)
04 Wish (Live)
05 Down In It
06 Sanctified (version '13)
07 Gave Up (Fixed)
08 Sin
09 Head Like a Hole
10 Happiness in Slavery
11 Help Me I Am In Hell
12 Suck
13 Something I Can Never Have (Still)

Disc 2 (1994-2002)

01 Somewhat Damaged (Live)
02 Reptile
03 Starfuckers, Inc.
04 March of the Pigs (Live)
05 The Wretched
06 Into the Void
07 Closer to God
08 Burn
09 The Perfect Drug
10 We're In This Together
11 And All That Could Have Been
12 Hurt (Quiet)
13 The Day the World Went Away (Still)

Disc 3 (2003-2009)

01 Everyday Is Exactly the Same
02 Survivalism
03 The Hand That Feeds
04 1,000,000 (Live)
05 Capital G (Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D)
06 Only
07 Echoplex
08 Me, I'm Not
09 34 Ghosts IV
10 Zero-Sum
11 Right Where It Belongs (v2)
12 *Bonus Track
13 *Bonus Track

* Featuring two brand spanking new NIN songs, guaranteed to tantalize your tailbone

sheepdean
08-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Okay, but those are albums with tracklists designed to compliment Trent's instrumental fetishes. A Greatest Hits album is just that: the hits. The singles. Occasionally a heralded fan favorite that is too popular to ignore for completion's sake.

34 Ghosts is none of those things. It's just one instrumental out of a set of 36 that got earmarked for a Grammy nomination.
Well, it depends if it's a "Greatest Hits" or "best of". Best ofs will have the weird tracks, the b sides and instrumentals.

Kyle
08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Don't get me wrong; I understand its inclusion from a statistical standpoint.

I just think it would stand out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the tracks. It was never officially released as a single, was it? Wasn’t it just recognized as a Grammy-worthy instrumental? If it had not been nominated, I don’t think people would care about it nearly as much.

If Trent is involved with this, it will be more than a typical collection of singles and I don't think it would be out of place at all.

ambergris
08-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I tried to make a b-sides/rare songs collection, but I gave up because the line is pretty fluid with NIN. And there's the NIN/Trent Reznor difference as well. And do I include original songs from the remix albums, or the half-remix/half-new songs like 10 Miles High? What about some of the soundtrack work, what about the new songs on Still? In fact, the problems begin already at the beginning, with Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once, are they NIN?

Kyle
08-15-2013, 10:08 AM
I tried to make a b-sides/rare songs collection, but I gave up because the line is pretty fluid with NIN. And there's the NIN/Trent Reznor difference as well. And do I include original songs from the remix albums, or the half-remix/half-new songs like 10 Miles High? What about some of the soundtrack work, what about the new songs on Still? In fact, the problems begin already at the beginning, with Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once, are they NIN?

Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once are definitely NIN, they're just unreleased NIN so they won't be there.

Still is NIN, TGWTDT and TSN are not.

10 Miles High isn't half remix, that's an original song.

cashpiles (closed)
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Hesitation Marks comes out this year so I don't see why that'd be worthwhile to do.
It would still be awesome to have 2 new songs on the Greatest Hits... Who wouldn't want 2 new songs? It would also give long-time fans a reason to possibly buy it.

Space Suicide
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
It would still be awesome to have 2 new songs on the Greatest Hits... Who wouldn't want 2 new songs? It would also give long-time fans a reason to possibly buy it.

It'd either consist of two not worthy songs that were going to be on Hesitation Marks or two new recordings made up on the fly for it. I've never been a fan of Greatest Hits compilations that do nothing but catalog singles then add one or two new tracks for people like us to buy it.

Amaro
08-15-2013, 04:23 PM
It'd either consist of two not worthy songs that were going to be on Hesitation Marks or a two new recordings made up on the fly for it. I've never been a fan of Great Hits compilations that do nothing but catalog singles then add one or two new tracks for people like us to buy it.

Trent doing tracks on the fly sometimes means gold, so count me that much interested, since I'm already a mega fan.

Space Suicide
08-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Trent doing tracks on the fly sometimes means gold, so count me that much interested, since I'm already a mega fan.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind it (as any new music is good music) but coming out so soon after Hesitation Marks I highly doubt we'd expect any new things on a GH album.

Canuckle
08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Crackpot Idea Below:

Release Two individual records, making a set called 'Eras' (ala Halos; corny, I know).

First disc (Eras 1) is everything from PHM to The Fragile-era. Mix of singles, remixes, 'deep-cuts', instrumentals; all weaved together to flow like a NIN album (aggressive opener; beef in the middle; little offcentre near the end and quiet finish) with segues from TR if required. No chronological order (please).

Second disc (Eras 2) is everything from ah-With the Teeth-ah to the Soundtrack work. Same format as the first, also allowing him to release new content if he wants.

The reason I suggest this odd format is there are two large demographics that encompass casual NIN fans, and they are split with TRs early 2000s absence from the scene (i.e., pre-With Teeth and With Teeth and onward). Each disc appeals to a certain group, while both should be sonically composed well-enough to also appeal to a die-hard fan as a set. The last reason I like this sort of format is that it can allow his work for the next decade to be called 'Eras 3'. Thus making sure the greatest hits collection is a continuous set and not a one off; just to have a second made 10 years from now but with newer material. Those who have collected the first 2 can then just grab the third to complete the set.

millhouse
08-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Since Satellite and Everything were both recorded for the two new contractually-obligated tracks for the Interscope Greatest Hits record, where does this leave the record now?

When it was initially mentioned, I assumed it might be a case of throwing Non-Entity and Not So Pretty Now on a physical release, as they're both from the WT sessions/era and are paid for by Interscope, but then TR recorded the above two tracks.

Question is, with those two now Hesitation Marks tracks, does anyone know if Trent still owes Interscope a compilation record, or if the Columbia contract (which we initially assumed was just HTDA, until the announcement of Hesitation Marks) ended up "buying out" the Interscope obligation?

sheepdean
08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
He still owes them a record, the HTDA signing wasn't part of the NIN contract, he'll still probably give new songs to the greatest hits, maybe not those though. It's due 2014, iirc.

butter_hole
08-27-2013, 10:03 PM
It's still due to come out in 2014.

goingincirclez
08-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Would be kinda funny if Satellite gets released as a single - it has every vibe to be successful. So then it becomes a "hit", and justly inducted to the GH compilation, completing the circle of life.

Oh, and Everything follows it there anyway as Trent's very special Fist Fuck to all the haters.

millhouse
08-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Ahh, I assumed that, much like when Billy Corgan signed to Warner for his solo album or Zwan (cannot remember which it was), and Smashing Pumpkins were stuck on Warner for Zeitgeist, Columbia had ended up signing Trent (as NIN were essentially defunct) with the exception of the two tracks for the obligated Interscope greatest hits, and then NIN just ended up on Columbia (much to everyone's pleasure it would seem - the label are certainly making a big deal about HM, Trent seems to be happy with the label, etc) by virtue that Trent was now on Columbia.

Hope that makes sense. I saw Ash play 1977 in full last night and I'm shaking off a hell of a hangover.

trollmanen
08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
It actually makes sense that the date was pushed back to 2014 as that's the 25th anniversary of NIN.

That other guy
08-27-2013, 11:03 PM
"With the greatest-hits project shelved until 2014, the resulting, all-new Hesitation Marks (those two early tracks included) is both sonically singular and thematically linked to a particular scarred and multi-million-selling predecessor in the Nine Inch Nails catalog. "For some reason, when I started working more on Hesitation Marks, I started thinking back romantically about who I was when I was writing The Downward Spiral," Reznor says."

http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-reznor-upward-spiral-nine-inch-nails-spin-cover-september-2013/?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spintwitter

thefragile_jake
08-28-2013, 12:36 AM
I've already starting this in the other "Greatest Hits" thread but I'm very much looking forward to this based on what Trent could possibly do for the presentation and packaging.

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 12:45 AM
, and then NIN just ended up on Columbia (much to everyone's pleasure it would seem.

Dude, no! I am outspokenly bothered by Trent's presence on a major label, and I know that a few other people on this board are also put off by it as well. There are quite a few very good reasons for this.

gorast
08-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Dude, no! I am outspokenly bothered by Trent's presence on a major label, and I know that a few other people on this board are also put off by it as well. There are quite a few very good reasons for this.

And what reasons would those be, hm?

jesus
08-28-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm confused, if Trent used both tracks in Hesitation Marks , and those are now of Columbia, he needs to make another 2 new song?

Ryan
08-28-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm confused, if Trent used both tracks in Hesitation Marks , and those are now of Columbia, he needs to make another 2 new song?

yes jesus :)

ninsp
08-28-2013, 01:07 AM

Maybe, just maybe, Trent is tired of marketing and wanted to just focus on the music...maybe he found a label that wouldn't fuck with his vision but do the marketing for him? Gain some new fans and sell a LOT of tickets in the process?

jesus
08-28-2013, 01:09 AM
yes jesus :)
2 new SONGS!!! :D O_O

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 01:29 AM
And what reasons would those be, hm?

surely you've seen them if you've read deep enough into a new album thread since the Columbia deals began but to clarify here are a few (and not necessarily in this order for me)

1. Trent has a long and contentious and very public relationship with large record labels. Things were so intense that he personally set out to break the model by trying to see if he could do things differently without them through numerous distribution experiments (do I have to explain those?). Were those a failure? Did he just want more? Does he need more money to support his family? I'm not trying to judge, here, but I wonder what happened. It's definitely disheartening that he stopped pursuing these though.

2. Large Record Labels Suck and I would prefer not to give them my money.
a. Large record labels largely determine our understanding of musical boundaries and essentially shape public taste. By determining which bands to sign and distribute, and by having the spending power to put them on mainstream but passively consumed media outlets like the radio, large labels effectively shape what the public perceives as acceptable music. Essentially they have a very real and very intense oligarchy on an entire art form. Do they carefully select and sign creative, challenging, boundary pushing music, or do they pander and create redundant bullshit that panders to the lowest common denominator? Have you seen MTV? Payola power.
b. The above described oligarchy creates a david/goliath situation when it comes to small, home grown bands. Large labels can pick up a band when they're talent is up to 'standard' or they can basically construct and grow their own "talent." By contrast, small, independent labels aren't subservient to like radio hits and video plays and give artists an oppurtunity to get themselves out there and succeed on their own merits. It's totally possible and there doesn't have to be millions and millions of dollars involved.
c. Record labels exert creative control, which makes me question the creative integrity of the bands that live on them. Nine Inch Nails is a well established band, sure... so maybe Trent can do his writing without being bothered. But he had not in the past. How is this time different? when Nine Inch nails were out on their own, like with Ghosts, we can be sure that Trent was able to put that together on his own and do what he wanted. Ghosts turned out well, the Slip... not so much... but both were made on his own merits and I think we can be sure of it. Trent has mentioned that "Sattelite and "Everything" were made for a greatest hits album, and they are the poppiest and most accessible songs on this new album. One of them could be interchanged witha Justin Timberlake single and no one would notice. This from the same guy who made Ghosts 37. Who knows, but it bothers me.

I could keep going but it's already pretty long... any help?

Maybe, just maybe, Trent is tired of marketing and wanted to just focus on the music...maybe he found a label that wouldn't fuck with his vision but do the marketing for him? Gain some new fans and sell a LOT of tickets in the process?

I don't doubt this at all. Of course I'm sure it's a very well intentioned. But Nine Inch Nails is an insanely popular and successful band. They could literally do nothing and continue to get fans for decades. He'll sell tickets one way or another. If you haven't noticed NIN and HTDA tickets sell out typically in under 5 minutes. That has nothing to do with Columbia.

My point is he's making the big bucks either way and he doesn't need these people. Surely Columbia takes enough of a cut to mitigate any extra profits made?

chroipahtz
08-28-2013, 01:33 AM
1. Trent has a long and contentious and very public relationship with large record labels. Things were so intense that he personally set out to break the model by trying to see if he could do things differently without them through numerous distribution experiments (do I have to explain those?). Were those a failure? Did he just want more? Does he need more money to support his family? I'm not trying to judge, here, but I wonder what happened. It's definitely disheartening that he stopped pursuing these though.

Trent just covered this in the Spin interview.

As for your second point, I can't say much about it because it just seems like paranoia. Judging by the few comments from Columbia execs (I think they were in the Spin article as well), they don't want to fuck with Trent's vision. If they did, I doubt Trent would have stayed on, don't you think?

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Trent just covered this in the Spin interview.

As for your second point, I can't say much about it because it just seems like paranoia. Judging by the few comments from Columbia execs (I think they were in the Spin article as well), they don't want to fuck with Trent's vision. If they did, I doubt Trent would have stayed on, don't you think?

I guess I could see how it would construed as paranoia, but that's just basically how social construction works. The music we are exposed to throughout our lives, especially early on, determines our perception and definition of it. I find the fact that this music is largely owned by just four companies a little bit concerning. This concept applies down the line from various forms of art to inlets of information like news outlets and social media. That's how we adapt and determine what we perceive to be acceptible. Unless we just come up with it on our own? With no outside influence at all?

millhouse
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Dude, no! I am outspokenly bothered by Trent's presence on a major label

I was meaning the band and the label, not the fan base. ie: Columbia signed Reznor, and Reznor decides to resurrect NIN. Columbia happy. Reznor happy.

gorast
08-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Columbia is not the entity it was in 1975, or 1985, or 1995. Trent has said, repeatedly, that the deal is a licensing deal, not a full contract, and the legal information for both HM's release and HTDA's releases indicate that (Nullco under exclusive license to Columbia). It's not a 360 deal, he's not locked into it, and it's not even long-term. It's a mutually beneficial deal - higher exposure for NIN, increased relevance for Columbia, more money for both of them.

Speaking of money, in Trent's case, I highly doubt that was the primary motivator. I'm sure the dude's doing just fine on the royalties from Interscope. And sure, he could coast on his existing fanbase, but what lame-ass band is content to just preach to the choir for the rest of their career? Why would you ever think Trent Reznor, of all people, would settle for that? He's said it in dozens of interviews since last year - attempting to do all the marketing research on his own drove him insane and damaged his enthusiasm for the music he was making.

And your spiel about Big Bad Labels? Sure, maybe in, like, 2003. That shit doesn't apply to music enthusiasts like you or me. But you know what? Radio still drags in new fans. And NIN did not have radio play in Florida during the Nullco years. I never heard Discipline or Echoplex on the radio even once in the past five years. But you know what? I've heard Came Back Haunted at least four times, and I barely listen to radio anymore. That's four opportunities to catch new ears, options that weren't available when Trent was trying out the indie gig.

The point is that the Big Bad Label does not exist any more. Labels still have a degree of power, but by no means do they have a stranglehold on the market. Smaller labels are growing in number and influence, the internet is becoming the dominant form of record consumption, streaming is becoming gigantic, and older artists like NIN are turning the tables on labels, turning them into glorified distributors of the music. You know who else has the exact same deal as NIN and HTDA? Earl Sweatshirt.

He's nineteen.

The Big Bad Label doesn't exist any more. And we're still discussing this a year after the fact? Christ.

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 02:04 AM
That shit doesn't apply to music enthusiasts like you or me. But you know what? Radio still drags in new fans. And NIN did not have radio play in Florida during the Nullco years. I never heard Discipline or Echoplex on the radio even once in the past five years. But you know what? I've heard Came Back Haunted at least four times, and I barely listen to radio anymore. That's four opportunities to catch new ears, options that weren't available when Trent was trying out the indie gig.

I think you make plenty of good points and this is definitely one where we have to agree to disagree. Sure, trent is seeing more radio play. He's reaching more ears, etc. But that's what I'm taking issue with, a business move decidedly in the interest of just getting more radio play. tailoring your music and your distribution plan for radio play and accessibility. Fuck that. Fuck that all day. That was the whole problem in the first place. Plenty of bands are able to make a living and find success without this devotion to marketing research and pandering. Plenty of them, and they don't start with the kind of name that NIN has.

The point is that the Big Bad Label does not exist any more. Labels still have a degree of power, but by no means do they have a stranglehold on the market. Smaller labels are growing in number and influence, the internet is becoming the dominant form of record consumption, streaming is becoming gigantic, and older artists like NIN are turning the tables on labels, turning them into glorified distributors of the music. You know who else has the exact same deal as NIN and HTDA? Earl Sweatshirt.

Clearly they are still a thing. Clearly people are still watching the MTV VMAs in goddamn droves right now, how can you say they don't exist. There are fewer, because they are fucking eating each other and becoming bigger. They have less of a strangle hold because people that are paying for music are often paying for shit on smaller labels instead, sometimes actively. People are making choices that don't involve them. It doesn't make them any better, even if they're adaptable.

That streaming your talking about: also largely controlled by big business.

NIN WAS turning the tables on the labels, as you describe, but it seems the tables got turned back, and that's why we're here.

millhouse
08-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Plenty of bands are able to make a living and find success without this devotion to marketing research and pandering. Plenty of them, and they don't start with the kind of name that NIN has.

And even more bands go bust because people eek out miserable amounts of cash from a project that takes exorbitant amounts of cash to continue/develop/tour/whatever.

You know what the problem with the VMAs/mass market music/big bad labels is?

There's an audience for it. People eat that shit up. If there wasn't an audience for it, then it wouldn't exist. Whether you like it or not, a shit tonne of people like a shit tonne of shitty music. Democracy at work.

I can be cynical and says "Fuck those stupid morons with their bad taste in music and their ignorance of the world!" but what's the point? I'd rather just go put on something I want to listen to.

Khrz
08-28-2013, 02:37 AM

Whether you like it or not, a shit tonne of people like a shit tonne of shitty music. Democracy at work.

Which is also the biggest flaw of all the little kickstarter-like labels who release the top-voted albums from their subscribers.

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 02:40 AM
And even more bands go bust because people eek out miserable amounts of cash from a project that takes exorbitant amounts of cash to continue/develop/tour/whatever.

There's an audience for it. People eat that shit up. If there wasn't an audience for it, then it wouldn't exist. Whether you like it or not, a shit tonne of people like a shit tonne of shitty music. Democracy at work.

I can be cynical and says "Fuck those stupid morons with their bad taste in music and their ignorance of the world!" but what's the point? I'd rather just go put on something I want to listen to.

Ok, well taken. Lots of tiny bands struggle. But more than ever suceed.

And that audience for the VMAs/mass market/ big bad labels is created by those guys. They built the comfort zone and the social structure that feeds itself
If they were exposed to broader media, media education, media literacy from an early age.... would they still seek it out? Possibly. I think we battle that illiteracy with our wallets, our purchasing power, our voices, we can maybe create a broader landscape where those other, smaller acts can succeed more, and on their own merits.

Of course, to each their own, and I'll go listen to whatever I want but I think that cultural impact is important and I guess it's why I've gone this far in this thread...

millhouse
08-28-2013, 02:54 AM
And that audience for the VMAs/mass market/ big bad labels is created by those guys. They built the comfort zone and the social structure that feeds itself
If they were exposed to broader media, media education, media literacy from an early age.... would they still seek it out? Possibly. I think we battle that illiteracy with our wallets, our purchasing power, our voices, we can maybe create a broader landscape where those other, smaller acts can succeed more, and on their own merits.

What movies do you what? What tv do you watch? Are you part of the problem with the big bad studios and the big bad networks?

Not being a dick, just querying. Why should music be any different, yknow?

The other side of the coin is what if we, as the minority, are just plain fucking wrong? What if NIN is absolute garbage (besides the "fuck you like an animal" song), and Miley Cyrus really is a musical genius, as are One Direction?

Ok, sarcasm aside, I feel sick writing that.

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 03:15 AM
What movies do you what? What tv do you watch? Are you part of the problem with the big bad studios and the big bad networks?

Not being a dick, just querying. Why should music be any different, yknow?

The other side of the coin is what if we, as the minority, are just plain fucking wrong? What if NIN is absolute garbage (besides the "fuck you like an animal" song), and Miley Cyrus really is a musical genius, as are One Direction?

Ok, sarcasm aside, I feel sick writing that.

Those are really valid questions. If you want to know what movies and TV I watch you can check my post history and surely a list of thread titles and offhand comments will come close.

Am I part of problem? Definitely. I'm posting on the forum of a big label, big radio band. But I try, at least in part to be a part of a solution. Most of the music that I pay for comes from a totally independent label, and I try, as often as I can to buy albums cash in hand to the artist at their show.

I'm not actually suggesting that music ITSELF should be any different, I'm mostly referring to methods of distribution and consumption. If it were different maybe the playing field could be more level, whereas right now it's like your a millionaire or a hobbyist. There's a middle ground that people are reaching because its easier for people to distribute and promote music on their own. I think that's a good thing. I think it would allow for more creative space, more kinds of music, different kinds of success. It would probably also allow for some incredibly stupid bullshit, but ultimately I think it can be better.

skullboy0
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
RE: Going with a major label, this quote from the Spin article says a lot:

"He juts his chin out defiantly. "But I'm still competitive," he says. "If I'm going to do this, I want to win."" (http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-reznor-upward-spiral-nine-inch-nails-spin-cover-september-2013/)

I think he doesn't feel he can reach the broadest audience without a major label.

He's not "selling out", he made the record he wanted to make, he didn't make the Timbaland record like Interscope wanted him to do.

He just wants to use the resources of a major label to get that record exposed to the broadest audience he can.

Dr Channard
12-14-2016, 09:19 AM
How about a post-90’s releases compilation album. My picks would look something like this,

1. While I’m Still Here-Black Noise
2. Meet Your Master
3. Survivalism
4. Echoplex
5. All The Love In The World
6. Adrift And At Peace
7. Head Down
8. Copy of A
9. All Time Low
10. In This Twilight
11. Right Where It Belongs V2
12. The Persistence Of Loss
13. 31 Ghosts IV
14. Deep
15. The Hand That Feeds
16. The Line Begins To Blur
17. Non-Entity

These should be able to fit on one disc. And I’m probably not the best at track ordering, but this looks like it would work reasonably.

Reaps
12-14-2016, 09:47 AM
I'd sooner see an updated release of the definitive collection (singles/deep cuts/quiet/remixes etc..) Would make a nice boxset.

thatguymark
12-19-2016, 11:20 AM
So, my girlfriend asked me to make her a NIN compilation. I wanted to represent the old and the new, the heavy and the soft, the hit singles and the stronger album tracks, maintain some feeling of flow from track to track, and have an order that was more interesting that simply chronological. The Hand That Feeds was the last to get cut for time. Yeah, it's a hit, but I couldn't justify using in place of any that I kept. This is what I came up with. Some of the transitions work better than others, but I think it's a fairly solid Best Of that all fits on an 80 minute CD. Also, it is a shame that I had to cut the Ghosts tracks, and Leaving Hope, but I couldn't find a way to make them fit without cutting something that seemed more essential to me.

1. Head Like A Hole
2. Terrible Lie
3. Right Where It Belongs
4. Just Like You Imagined
5. 1,000,000
6. The Frail
7. The Wretched
8. While I'm Still Here
9. Black Noise
10. And All That Could Have Been
11. Closer
12. Pinion
13. Wish
14. In This Twilight
15. Zero Sum
16. The Perfect Drug
17. Something I Can Never Have
18. Hurt

hani
12-22-2016, 06:55 AM
NIN Greatest Hits 2017 edition

CD1

01. The Day The World Went Away (04:33)
02. Copy of A (05:23)
03. Head Like a Hole (04:59)
04. Wish (03:46)
05. We're In This Together (07:16)
06. Survivalism (04:23)
07. Came Back Haunted (05:17)
08. Deep (04:06)
09. The Frail/The Wretched (07:19)
10. The Hand That Feeds (03:31)
11. Terrible Lie (04:38)
12. Dear world, (04:07)
13. Closer (06:13)
14. Something I Can Never Have (05:54)

total time 71:25

CD2

01. 1,000,000 (03:56)
02. Every Day Is Exactly The Same (04:54)
03. March of the Pigs (02:58)
04. Discipline (04:19)
05. The Perfect Drug (05:42)
06. Vessel (04:53)
07. Only (04:22)
08. Burn (04:58)
09. Head Down (04:55)
10. God Given (03:50)
11. In Two (05:32)
12. Gave Up (04:08)
13. Hurt (06:15)
14. Burning Bright (Field on Fire) (05:50)

total time 66:32

Tommy_Macbeth
12-29-2016, 12:21 PM
I would hope it would be a combination of singles/essential songs & fan-faves.
If I had to guess then it would look like this:
PHM: 2-3 songs
Broken: 3 song
TDS: 6 song (lots of fan faves)
TF: 8 songs
WT: 4-5 songs
YZ: 5 songs
Ghosts: Maybe a few tracks just to vary up the tracklist
TS: 3 songs
HM: 4-5 song
NTAE: 2 songs
And then maybe a few non-album tracks as well if we're really lucky
Or maybe 3 different "albums" that all have an overarching theme and contains songs from all kinds of different albums but go together nicely.

neorev
12-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Disc 1
01 Dear World
02 Head Like A Hole
03 Wish
04 March Of The Pigs
05 We're In This Together Now
06 Only
07 Capital G
08 Discipline
09 Came Back Haunted
10 Closer
11 Sin
12 Happiness In Slavery
13 Deep
14 Hurt

Disc 2
01 Into The Void
02 Down In It
03 Copy Of A
04 The Perfect Drug
05 Survivalism
06 Starfuckers, Inc.
07 Burn
08 The Hand That Feeds
09 Gave Up
10 1,000,000
11 Every Day Is Exactly The Same
12 Dead Souls
13 The Day The World Went Away
14 Burning Bright (Field Of Fire)

eversonpoe
12-30-2016, 08:20 AM
I've been meaning to do this since 2012, when this thread was posted.

So, instead of a traditional Greatest Hits album, I thought it might be more interesting to imagine something less commercial—in some places more abrasive, sometimes more delicate, often more oblique or inaccessible, and featuring almost nothing that played on FM radio. Something that might give casual listeners a better idea of the diversity and curiosity of the Nine Inch Nails catalogue.

I also think that, if Trent ever does drop this allegedly obligatory Greatest Hits album—it has always sounded very much, from the "Definitive" torrents that came from...somewhere in the ether...to the interviews he gave about the genesis of Hesitation Marks, as if he very much does not want to do this—that he should release it without a Halo number, so the people who'd feel most pressured to buy it (the hardcore fans he has made a point to try his best to not exploit) don't have to buy it to stay completists.

01. Now I'm Nothing (the hi-res soundboard cut we never got that entices the fans to buy the damned thing if they want it)
02. Terrible Lie (the And All That Could Have Been version is wonderful, works with the "Nothing" intro, and being live marks when NIN exploded—Lollapalooza)
03. Last
04. Gave Up (Fixed)
05. Closer to God
06. The Downward Spiral
07. Hurt
08. La Mer (Deviations 1 version)
09. Into the Void
10. Metal
11. All the Love in the World
12. In This Twilight
13. 37 Ghosts
14. The Four of Us Are Dying
15. Theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
16. Copy of a
17. While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
18. Burning Bright
Runtime: 1:27

Whatcha think?

i think if he was gonna pass the 80-minute mark (thus eliminating the possibility of it fitting on a single CD), he'd go for a full-on double-CD compilation.

that said, it's a pretty good playlist.

botley
07-01-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that after the next two new EPs drop and the vinyl reissues have been out in stores for a while, this will be the next NIN release in 2018/19 to celebrate the band's thirtieth anniversary.

A retrospective covering the Interscope era (1992–2007) on one disc and some live cuts and newer studio stuff on another would be an acceptable way to split it all up.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-01-2017, 03:53 PM
I just want a comprehensive music video collection spanning their entire career. Throw some easter eggs on there like the HTDA videos, notable live performances and a few other surprises.

Everything past the Perfect Drug clip has yet to appear on a widely-available collection. If Depeche Mode can release three or four music video collections, I don't see why a NIN one would be unreasonable to hope for.

In the mean time, I own this near-complete collection, bought for $15 on eBay, which I guess will suffice..

http://www.musicvideoresource.com/product/nine-inch-nails-music-video-anthology-live-1994-2005-2-hours/

Hyperpower
07-02-2017, 08:47 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that after the next two new EPs drop and the vinyl reissues have been out in stores for a while, this will be the next NIN release in 2018/19 to celebrate the band's thirtieth anniversary.

A retrospective covering the Interscope era (1992–2007) on one disc and some live cuts and newer studio stuff on another would be an acceptable way to split it all up.

i would welcome this.
the NTAE era so far from a release standpoint has been the worse in NIN history and so how does one transition from that? a greatest hits cd/vinyl with some very choice live cuts (yes alot of us want certain live cuts more than others) on one disc and newer stuff on another disc. that would make people happy after the fiasco that has been this release.

ChipRock
07-03-2017, 03:03 AM
I can imagine the NIN camp as seeing a 'best of' as a redundant format these days, but other acts still release 'em, right? Something like Bowie is a bit different I guess, but the recent Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds set was quite an appealing retrospective that doesn't take away from the fact that the band are doing really bloody well right now. Being in a permanent NIN bubble it's hard to gauge quite how they stand in the wider public conciousness, but looking at the Twin Peaks appearance and the upcoming festival dates I guess they're still 'cool', and therefore a compilation would have a market. But yes, as long as they get the balance right between appealing to the masses and the hardcore fans (surely just a small handful of live tracks or alt mixes plus a really nice packaging would do? I'd also be keen on seeing a full DVD of videos) then I don't see why this wouldn't work. To be honest I just miss buying Nine Inch Nails CDs - Hesitation Marks was a long time ago now.

Hyperpower
07-04-2017, 11:51 AM
also this just came to mind, recently i was listening to Now I'm Nothing (Clarkson, MI 2009) and well, a proper studio and a proper live version of this thing is almost a must as i see it.
if there is such a Greatest Hits release, please, please, PLEASE, include this tune in said release! thank you

sonic_discord
07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
I can imagine the NIN camp as seeing a 'best of' as a redundant format these days, but other acts still release 'em, right? Something like Bowie is a bit different I guess, but the recent Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds set was quite an appealing retrospective that doesn't take away from the fact that the band are doing really bloody well right now. Being in a permanent NIN bubble it's hard to gauge quite how they stand in the wider public conciousness, but looking at the Twin Peaks appearance and the upcoming festival dates I guess they're still 'cool', and therefore a compilation would have a market. But yes, as long as they get the balance right between appealing to the masses and the hardcore fans (surely just a small handful of live tracks or alt mixes plus a really nice packaging would do? I'd also be keen on seeing a full DVD of videos) then I don't see why this wouldn't work. To be honest I just miss buying Nine Inch Nails CDs - Hesitation Marks was a long time ago now.

Agreed on all counts. I don't think TR is very excited by/interested in the concept of making a greatest hits album, but it COULD be done in a really cool way and if there's even one or two new bangin' songs on it (a good example is Tom Petty's greatest hits, which featured Mary Jane's Last Dance) and some really nice packaging with cool artwork, then it would appeal to a wide range of people, including the fair weather fans who'd appreciate having all of the singles in one package, as well as us diehards. Hell, maybe they could even make two versions of this thing: the standard 2-CD digipak, and a sweet deluxe coffee table book type of thing with a bunch of photos, stories from Trent, etc. and all of the music videos collected for the first time (like you said) on a Blu-ray in HD remastered quality (where possible). Maybe even some new videos (She's Gone Away from Twin Peaks and hopefully a couple more from the EP trilogy) or unreleased videos (like Everything or Every Day is Exactly the Same). If it were treated this way, this could potentially be a really cool release that would elevate it above and beyond the boring typical/expected greatest hits release that I feel Trent wants to avoid and it could appeal to people like us who already bought all of the albums.

AVirtualMemoryOfficial
07-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Did this myself a couple years back post-HM with a bunch of the single/alternate mixes of each track for a nice stroll down memory lane:

CD1 [1989-1997]:

Down In It
Head Like a Hole [Halo 03 - Clay Mix]
Terrible Lie [Halo 03 - Sympathetic Mix]
Sin [Halo 04 - Short Mix]
Wish
Happiness in Slavery
Gave Up
Suck
Dead Souls
March of the Pigs [Halo 07 Mix]
Piggy
Reptile ["Liar" Demo Version]
Burn
Closer [Halo 09 Mix]
Hurt [Quiet Mix]
The Perfect Drug [Halo 15 Mix]

CD2 [1999-2014]:

The Day the World Went Away [Halo 13 Mix]
We're in This Together [Halo 15 - Extended Mix]
Into the Void
Starfuckers, inc. [Halo 13 Mix]
Deep
The Hand That Feeds
Only [Halo 20 Mix]
Every Day is Exactly the Same [Halo 21 Mix]
Survivalism [Halo 23 Mix]
The Beginning of the End
Capital G
Discipline [Single Mix]
Echoplex
Came Back Haunted
Copy of A [Live 2014]
Find My Way

Always thought something rather like "The New Flesh" or "Complications of the Flesh" would make for a nice title. Perhaps the former for CD1 and the latter for CD2.

Tiger_Stealth
03-20-2023, 10:48 PM
Trying to fit this all into three albums/discs. Combining my own personal NIN taste with what would make sense for a realistic greatest hits album.

A:

1. Head Like A Hole
2. Down In It
3. Something I Can Never Have
4. Sin
5. Wish
6. Last
7. Happiness In Slavery
8. Gave Up
9. March Of The Pigs
10. Closer
11. Reptile
12. Hurt

B:

1. Somewhat Damaged
2. The Day The World Went Away
3. The Frail into The Wretched
4. We're In This Together
5. The Fragile
6. Starfuckers
7. The Big Come Down
8. The Hand That Feeds
9. Every Day Is Exactly The Same
10. Only
11. Right Where It Belongs
12. The Beginning Of The End

C:

1. Capital G
2. In This Twilight
3. Zero-Sum
4. 1,000,000
5. Copy Of A
6. Came Back Haunted
7. Various Methods Of Escape
8. Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
9. Less Than
10. The Background World
11. God Break Down The Door
12. Over And Out

botley
03-24-2023, 08:58 AM

I'm a big dum-dum

Khrz
03-24-2023, 09:30 AM
I'm a big dum-dum

Weren't Satellite and Everything supposed to be included in a Best-Of of sorts initially ?

My theory : Reznor isn't against the idea of a Greatest Hits thing, but he wants to do it right, which means spending quite a lot of time on it. Time, on reflection, he'd rather spend creating new music.
Thus we'll never get a Greatest Hits album, not while he's alive.

M1ke
03-24-2023, 02:59 PM
I always find it strange when a band puts out a greatest hits album but isn't done making music, and I don't think NIN is done making music.

I mean, I know it happens more often than the other way around, but it still feels odd to me. What if they release a Greatest Hits album, and then their next album contains their greatest hit ever?

A greatest hits album feels like the way to commemorate the end of something to me.

allegate
03-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Weren't Satellite and Everything supposed to be included in a Best-Of of sorts initially ?

My theory : Reznor isn't against the idea of a Greatest Hits thing, but he wants to do it right, which means spending quite a lot of time on it. Time, on reflection, he'd rather spend creating new music.
Thus we'll never get a Greatest Hits album, not while he's alive.the same reason The Fragile 5.1 is mia :(

Also: yes (https://www.nin.wiki/Satellite)

"Satellite", along with "Everything (https://www.nin.wiki/Everything)", was originally written and recorded for a forthcoming greatest hits package for Interscope Records (https://www.nin.wiki/Interscope_Records), but instead provided inspiration towards a new album.

brotha52
03-24-2023, 04:08 PM

I totally would have forked over $$ for a double disk Greatest Hits album that had Satellite and Everything as the bonus tracks.
In retrospect I'm pleased that they went the torrent route. Shining a light on that distribution model was very timely.

Tiger_Stealth
03-24-2023, 08:50 PM
I'm super happy that Trent and Atticus were inspired enough to make Hesitation Marks following the creation of Satellite/Everything. Both songs sound better in the context of the album.

I came up with an idea for a pseudo-greatest hits idea: what is the song on each album/EP that best represents the sound/vibe of the album as a whole?

PHM: Ringfinger
Broken: Last
TDS: Ruiner
The Fragile: Title Track
With Teeth: The Line Begins To Blur
Year Zero: Meet Your Master
The Slip: Head Down
Hesitation Marks: I Would For You
NTAE: The Idea Of You
Add Violence: The Background World
Bad Witch: God Break Down The Door

TheBang
03-24-2023, 09:42 PM
I think the biggest reason we will never get a greatest hits album is because the record label is no longer interested. Greatest Hits compilation albums have largely gone the way of the dodo, because of digital and streaming. Streaming is the way the vast majority of people consume music now, and playlists supplant the need for a greatest hits compilation.

Labels simply don't do greatest hits compilations anymore. Deluxe album reissues, yes. Compilations, no. I think the early 2010's was kind of the inflection point there. If there were a time that kind of compilation were still viable, it would've been that period before Hesitation Marks. But because it didn't happen then, I don't think the label will ever demand it, and TR is not interested in it.

In retrospect I'm pleased that they went the torrent route. Shining a light on that distribution model was very timely.
And yes, you're right, this was absolutely prescient. The Definitive NIN torrent collections segued directly into the playlists, which, as I mentioned above, is what a greatest hits collection is today.

The other problem with putting out a Greatest Hits collection now is that Interscope only has the rights to material through Year Zero. There's been so much output post-YZ, that an Interscope Greatest Hits will seem incomplete, or they would have to pay money to license tracks from Null Corp, which wouldn't be financially viable.

Khrz
03-25-2023, 06:18 AM
I think the biggest reason we will never get a greatest hits album is because the record label is no longer interested.

But weren't Everything and Satellite supposedly part of a contractual album ? I don't remember the details, but doesn't Reznor owe them an album of greatest hits at some point ?

piggy
03-25-2023, 05:03 PM
But weren't Everything and Satellite supposedly part of a contractual album ? I don't remember the details, but doesn't Reznor owe them an album of greatest hits at some point ?
I can't recall exactly, but I feel like what Trent said was that Interscope has the right to release a hits album if they choose to, and that he hoped to be involved. My guess is that because hits albums are always the label's idea and never the artist's idea, that may have been sometimes misconstrued as being part of the contract.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Loads of articles published in 2007 were saying that his contract had been fulfilled, so that was confusing.

TheBang
03-25-2023, 10:42 PM
Yes, that's exactly right. The link was provided earlier, but the exact details are here:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor
"While touring with How to Destroy Angels, [Reznor] remembered he owed Interscope a NIN greatest hits. Keen to clear his debt, early in 2012 he set about penning two new songs for the collection, Satellite and Everything."

My argument is that Greatest Hits albums are a thing of the past, because of the way the market has changed with digital and streaming. They were a thing when the only way to get music was to buy a physical product, and it being in his contract is an artifact of the contract being signed in the late 80's. Labels don't release them anymore today because they're anachronistic in the era of all-you-can-eat streaming and playlists. They do not make any money. Therefore, I believe Interscope will never call TR on that obligation. They may even have quietly released him from it.

fillow
03-26-2023, 02:37 AM
"While touring with How to Destroy Angels, [Reznor] remembered he owed Interscope a NIN greatest hits. Keen to clear his debt, early in 2012 he set about penning two new songs for the collection, Satellite and Everything."

Haha this quote actually makes zero sense.

botley
03-26-2023, 07:18 AM
It would have been during recording for HTDA, not touring. Back in 2007 when Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D came out, TR said he was "free of any recording contract with any label", but perhaps that was just what his management and the then-current regime at Interscope were saying. His contract may have had another clause in it about a compilation that they had overlooked.

Maybe when they licensed the rights to Columbia for Hesitation Marks NIN's management worked out a deal to make that go away.

Deacon Blackfire
03-27-2023, 11:50 AM
The fact that Trent's required new songs for a prospective "greatest hits" release via Interscope just led to him recording a whole new album in Hesitation Marks makes it pretty clear to me that there won't be a release of this kind anytime soon. The label probably doesn't want it anymore and as has been said previously, Greatest Hits releases feel like postmortems and NIN doesn't seem ready to pack it in yet. Who knows how many releases they have left but considering its been three years since Ghosts V-VI, almost five years since Bad Witch, and by this September a decade since their last traditional album, Nine Inch Nails is overdue for an artistic statement.

I know Everything has gone through a bit of a reappraisal lately, and while it has never been one of my favorites, its origin as a potential required "extra" new track on a Greatest Hits release along with Satellite has always been absolutely hilarious and makes its existence make so much more sense. Like the label required him to include something new so he wrote the most peppy and pop-punk-y song he could, probably the exact opposite of what they would have wanted. And he still liked it too much to let it live on a Greatest Hits album!

shagg_187
03-27-2023, 10:00 PM
Greatest Hits only makes sense when the hits stop coming.

Just saying.