PDA

View Full Version : 12 12 12: The Concert for Sandy Relief

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Airs tonight on quite a few major cable channels in the U.S. (http://www.121212concert.org/). Anyone watching, DVR'ing, or attending the show tonight?

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Pretty solid lineup. Pitchfork and a few other outlets are saying that McCartney will be performing with 'the surviving members of Nirvana'....I'll be DVR'ing this for sure.

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Roger Waters said Eddie Vedder will sing "Comfortably Numb" with him tonight, as well.

botley
12-12-2012, 10:31 AM
The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen will be there as well; maybe they'll collaborate on something too (ahead of the Stones concert in Jersey on Saturday where Bruce is guesting — along with Lady Gaga & Black Keys — and I will be attending).

kenthebear
12-12-2012, 11:37 AM
sandy relief sounds like the world's worst handjob.

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh wow I set my DVR without seeing and just looking now, 4.5 hours long? Damn...

Michalrose
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
sandy relief sounds like the world's worst handjob.

For those of us who live here it is a very welcomed handjob!

AbjectMark
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
For people in the UK, Sky Arts will broadcast it in full on Thursday at 10pm

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/67689

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Man, Roger's band is killing it.

botley
12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Eddie fuckin' Vedder on "Comfortably Numb"!

thevoid99
12-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Please, never have Kristen Stewart at these events. She's such a terrible presenter.

Vertigo
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
For people in the UK, Sky Arts will broadcast it in full on Thursday at 10pm

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/67689

Be careful recording it though, it's divided in half - part one's on Sky Arts 1, second part follows immediately on Sky Arts 2. I think MTV has a one-part standard-definition broadcast earlier in the day.

botley
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Eric Clapton, followed by The Rolling fucking Stones. Amazing! Like Mick said, the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled at Madison Square Garden.

aggroculture
12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Has Sir Paul Cobain performed yet?

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Bell Boy???

allegro
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
YES, Bell Boy!

This Keith Moon footage is interesting only to us huge Who fans. Is this perhaps good for the Sandy working class?

Damn, Roger Daltry has aged well!

Tommy.

They have to play this. It's their Stairway to Heaven.

botley
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
"Bell Boy" is a song about a beach and a fallen friend. Appropriate to the occasion, I think, even if hologram Keith is a little weird outside of the context of a full Who show.

Has Sir Paul Cobain performed yet?
As usual, Paul has played his Beatles trump and will be closing the show.

I wonder if there is historical significance to this Nirvana-by-mistake reunion, a passing of the torch from the inescapable old-guard Brit rock royalty that REFUSES TO DIE over to younger North American bands that are still growing into their own myth.

allegro
12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
That song ain't about the beach, dude. It's about a guy with a shitty job.

(Hologram Keith is goofy even within the contrast of Quadrophenia.)

OH HOLY FUCK LOVE REIGN O'ER Me!!!!!!!

botley
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
That song ain't about the beach, dude. It's about a guy with a shitty job.

(Hologram Keith is goofy even within the contrast of Quadrophenia.)

I think a lot of the artists just wanted to help?
I'm always looking at the broader significance of these things.

Edit: ah... "Tea & Theatre," possibly my favourite song The Who has done since it morphed into this band they are now.

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm always looking at the broader significance of these things.

Yeah I know what you mean. Ultimately the entire album is also an ode to the beach and simpler times at the beach. But Pete probably just wanted to do something a bit more obscure and have Keef there with them?

Re Sir Paul: Remember that Paul has a place in NYC, and met his wife Nancy in the Hamptons.

botley
12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I like that The Who can still sing about war, loss and devastation in such an uplifting manner.

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Yup, me too.

BUT, this is all so so sad.

Is Kanye wearing a leather skirt?

henryeatscereal
12-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Kanye, yuck...

The Who nailed it!
Daltrey's voice is very punished, but he pulled it off, shirtless none less! lol

october_midnight
I think so. He rocked that for the WTT tour too if I'm not mistaken. Personally, he seems kinda out of place here going by the acts before him...

Oh, and I can finally cross seeing Daltrey's super shiny, orange chest off my bucket list. They still killed it though, lol. And Roger...holy crap. (other than Vedder, that is).

botley
Is Kanye wearing a leather skirt?

I don't know WHAT the fuck that asshole is doing, ever.

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Still love him, but was hopin' he'd do some inspirational kinda set...seems that everyone so far has pretty meticulously picked what to play to make it seem like it was for a point. This just seems like a 'ye show.

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I admit, I like Jesus Walks

And I think he's cute,

But this hip hop stuff is kinda lifeless in this context. The audience looks like they're talking and taking bathroom breaks.

AWWWW YEAH GOLDDIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Totally calling McCartney coming out as the ballerina for 'Runaway'.

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I see the need for it. Diversity and bringing in a younger crowd, etc, etc.

Sweet Jesus I hate that voice-pitch-changy-thing.

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Totally calling McCartney coming out as the ballerina for 'Runaway'.
Haaaaaaa ha ha

The voice pitchy thing just reminds me of T Pain, I'm on a Boat, and I Just Fucked a Mermaid.

I think Brian Williams is drunk.

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Every few months I need a good solid reminder why I never watch SNL anymore....

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:39 PM
HAAAAAA HA HA

Ugh. This sucks

onthewall2983
12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
It had to take Jake Gyllenhaal's mighty beard to sweep that away.

allegro
12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Billy Joel is here to save it!!

Let's start taking odds on New York State of Mind.

botley
12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
How could he NOT play that?!

...is that David Sanborn on sax? Never could stand his playing.

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
WHAT????????? I LOVE DAVID SANBORN!!! (Didn't see if that was him, though; I'm multi-tasking.) edit: that doesn't look like David SANBORN to me ... Hmmm,

Sometimes I forget that I love Billy Joel. Such a talented nice Jewish boy.

Edit: Yes that does appear to be David Sanborn

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Random buzzkill moment. How fucking badass would it be to see the Beastie Boys up in here? MCA would straight kill this business.

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Yup. But, instead, we get Blake Lively.

And Chris Martin by hisself. Edit: God, this guy is good.

botley
12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Whoa, he got Michael Stipe out to do "Losing My Religion"!

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I have to get up at 6 but here I am awaiting a Beatle.

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
"Quentin. Remember your blood pressure. Quentin? Did you bring your pills?"

Also, Paul sounds as great as he did here a week or so ago. Fuck yeah!

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Up front: Paul McCartney, vegetarian. In back of Paul: Paul's drummer, who needs to lay off the cheeseburgers

HOLY FUCK 1985!!!!!!!!!

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Where's Dave Grohl. He's been backstage for what, 6 hours now? You know there's beer back there. Dave Grohl. Beer. 6 hours.

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:49 PM
He's the finale. "Hi, I'm Dave BURP goodnight!"

Oh here comes Elvis Costello's wife.

botley
12-12-2012, 11:53 PM
She arranged this song. It's a good'n. He's doing it well. A bit sappy but that's what you get.

allegro
12-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Blackbird
!!!!!

Krist whoa wow dude, nice pants

It's hard to take Paul seriously as a rockin grunge dude with that wacky guitar he's playing. Is that some kinda hybrid slide?

Ok, now he goes with the Les Paul sunburst for I've Got a Feeling

botley
12-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Au contraire: tiny dobro through rockin' distortion pedal in lieu of a real slide guitar is SUPER grunge! Totally anti-Allman Brothers.

I thought that was a great performance, too. Really ballsy.

october_midnight
12-13-2012, 12:10 AM
1. Drop own bass on head.
2. Dress like the child of The Joker and a carnival baker.
3. ??????
4. Profit!

botley
12-13-2012, 12:18 AM
The song has a name! (http://bit.ly/SfEG90)

october_midnight
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
No hologram Tupac? My cue to turn in for the night.

richardp
12-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Boy that Nirvana "reunion" sure felt awfully anti-climactic. That Sound City track wasn't even that interesting.

bobbie solo
12-13-2012, 12:53 AM
- fast forwarded Bruce, Bon Jovi, The Who (except for Baba O'Reilly), Clapton (hunted for all his solos...those were badass), Alicia Keyes & Billy Joel
- Stones seemed a bit off timing-wise at times, but were fun to watch. Keith Richards is a mummy. Thank God they didn't do Start Me Up. Mick's line about all the old Enlgish dudes was hilarious.

- Chris Martin was short & sweet. I liked his little set very much.

- I thought Kanye's start was very odd. He started with two of his newer, harder thuggish rap songs (Clique & Mercy) to an all-white baby boomer crowd that does NOT want to hear that. I know he was there for the TV audience, but still, it came off very awkward. Once he started dropping his hits, the set picked up and was great. Medley's are lame, but it's live hip hop, so it basically sucks anyway. I've seen him live before and when he goes from hit after hit after hit, it starts to get impressive b/c you may not realize how many huge songs he has. The set tonight was an abbreviated version of that & i thought it worked overall. All the Dark Fantasy stuff is just SO good. I still need to see All of the Lights performed in full live. best beat ever.

- I watched 2 seconds of Sandler and the SNL stuff, got the douche-chills, and fast-forwarded.

I thought the song with Nirvana & McCartney was pretty good. Damn does Dave hit those drums hard. SO fun to watch him play. Nice to see Paul kick a little bit of ass, as most of his material certainly does not kick any ass. But tonight he did Helter Skelter, Live & Let Die & that song with Nirvana. That's about as heavy as you're gonna get with him. Krist looked a bit tepid, which is understandable: "hey, you dont play live music anymore. now go up on stage at fucking MSG and reunite with your HUGE band in front of potentially 2 billion people. Oh, and the most important rock n roll legend thats still alive will be playing with you as well."

- I'm from Staten Island, and live in Jersey City, and the storm fucked me almost as bad as Irene did last summer. Flooding, damage, no sleep, etc. I thought all the pieces about the storm were very well-done. The presenters seemed well-versed in their part. topics, and sincere. Jon Stewart was funny & poignant at the same time. Chris Rock's line about Staten Island..."not the Wu-Tang part, the regular part" had me rolling. I donated $25.

Kid Charlemagne
12-13-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm watching this right now because I DVR'd it, and that had to be one of the worst Springsteen sets I've seen. The song selection was awful and then bringing out Bon Jovi made it worse. Roger Waters on the other hand, fuckin' right!

bobbie solo
12-13-2012, 01:26 AM
oh, i fast-forwarded that lip-syncing geezer too. Except for Comfortably Numb. Vedder killed it there. Roger Waters looks very frail.

Kid Charlemagne
12-13-2012, 01:32 AM
I saw Roger back in May, and it was phenomenal, much better than this was. you're right about Vedder though, absolutely crushed it. Surprised the Stones only got two songs.

Also, The Who (what's left of them) aren't so bad still. The elder crowd jamming out to them made my night.

onthewall2983
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I wonder if there is historical significance to this Nirvana-by-mistake reunion, a passing of the torch from the inescapable old-guard Brit rock royalty that REFUSES TO DIE over to younger North American bands that are still growing into their own myth.

It's nothing new. Vedder doing gigs with Pete Townshend and Pearl Jam touring with Neil Young, Trent touring with Bowie, etc, etc. But this is possibly more significant than any of those, being no two bands defined their respective decades like the Beatles and Nirvana.

Presideo
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
No hologram Tupac? My cue to turn in for the night.
Fuck hologram Tupac - why was there no hologram Cobain? (I'm sure Courtney Love is salivating over the possibility)

I actually enjoyed the new Nirvana song w/ McCartney. I expected a Foo Fighter song, but it actually sounded like what you'd expect a 2012 Nirvana song to sound like.

botley
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
It's not a "Nirvana" song. There can be no Nirvana without Kurt, just like there is no Beatles without John.

Kid Charlemagne
12-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I'll be honest, after watching the whole thing, I think Billy Joel fucking schooled everyone out there.

Presideo
12-14-2012, 04:14 AM
It's not a "Nirvana" song. There can be no Nirvana without Kurt, just like there is no Beatles without John.
There's this Nirvana song called 'Marigold' you might want to look into.

Edit: I understand what you mean, but calling it a Grohl/Novoselic/Smear/McCartney song seems a bit redundant when 3/4 of the musicians were in Nirvana.

botley
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I understand what you mean, but calling it a Grohl/Novoselic/Smear/McCartney song seems a bit redundant when 3/4 of the musicians were in Nirvana.

No one on stage said it was a Nirvana song. You don't get to decide for them.

Kurt was alive when "Marigold" came out and approved it for his band.

Presideo
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
No one on stage said it was a Nirvana song. You don't get to decide for them.
You're right, bro. I'm sorry for ever calling it a Nirvana song, and wholeheartedly apologize for the affect that careless error had on your livelihood. I've taken it upon myself to mail every major news outlet like The Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Spin, Huffington Post, etc. who also called it a Nirvana/McCartney song instead of a Grohl/Novoselic/Smear/McCartney original. Even the thousands on Twitter and other social media sites that wrongfully labeled the song will get a message from me notifying them of the error, and I will sternly ask that they rectify it immediately. I also sent a blank check to Courtney Love because I'm pretty sure she's gonna sue me for this stupid blunder from yours truly.

If only I could go back in time to fix the damage I've caused...if only....

neorev
12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
if you can get away with a sole remaining member of a band to carry on a band name...
for ex: Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Jay Gordon (Orgy)...
i think 3/4's of a band should count too

plenty of bands carried on with a band name, even after the lost of a singer...

...just saying

i have no problems calling it Nirvana with Paul McCartney...
and that's coming from a huge Nirvana fan

botley
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
And here I was thinking it was about artistry instead of pure numbers and groupthink. Whatever. Not important in the grand scheme of things, obviously.

botley
12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Soundtrack album is out now on iTunes and it sounds phenomenal!