PDA

View Full Version : Nurse Jacintha Dead - Hoax Phone Call Victim UK

snaapz
12-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Dec 7, 2012

The nurse who took a hoax call from two Australian broadcasters at the hospital treating the Duchess of Cambridge in London earlier this week has been found dead, King Edward VII's Hospital confirmed today.

Was the radio station ok to do this prank call? Was it a common joke that went bad? Should they be punished?

I think these wild DJs made a prank phone call, something seen all the time in comedy and entertainment, but they crossed a line & went further than they expected. I don't think prank phone calls to a Hospital should ever be okay, but I wouldn't want to pass a bill making it criminal. I feel for the Nurses family. Unfortunaly for unknown reasons she took her own life (as it seems at this point in time).

Are the 2 DJs responsible? Check out their Facebook site (Filter to all recent posts)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/2DayFM
Listen to the prank call (http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2312833647/)
Source (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/07/london-hospital-death.html)

WorzelG
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I have to say I find it hard to believe that someone would commit suicide over just this - especially as they say she wasn't disciplined or blamed / sacked. Perhaps she was already depressed and the whole over the top media response to the prank was the final straw? Of course now the media will go on and on about this blaming the presenters in some vicious cycle. I find some prank calls funny, but usually they end up talking to some poor lowly member of staff who just don't deserve that

marodi
12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
First, I want to say that there was nothing funny whatsoever about that prank. It was a very very stupid thing to do. And all the bragging about it on Twitter was even stupider.

Second: I'm very sorry that this woman has died. It's indeed very tragic; especially since I believe she had 2 children. I feel terrible for her family.

However, is it remotely possible that there was something else going on in her life beside the whole prank thing? Maybe, just maybe, the prank was the breaking point for her? I'm not excusing the djs; far from it but I can't help but to think that there must have been something else that was bothering her to push her to that extreme.

The whole thing is just so very sad...

edit: WorzelG beat me to it.

miss k bee
12-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Very sad, the nurse was married with two children. I think maybe other things were going on and this pushed her over the edge.

wizfan
12-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Very shocking news.

Sutekh
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
http://3.daxgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bondsolace.jpg

Jinsai
12-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm not entirely sure I understand. I listened to the prank phone call, and I don't even entirely understand what was so bad about it. It seems like the kind of prank that you would respond to with "well, that was stupid," and nothing more extreme than that.

WorzelG
12-09-2012, 02:49 AM
^^^exactly - the way the media responded to it at the time (before the nurse died) was as if the nurses had let masked gunman into the hospital to kidnap her, when all they'd done was been duped by a silly prank on the PHONE. This is why I'd hold the papers etc more responsible than the prank callers, personally

Elke
12-09-2012, 04:56 AM
I guess the point is that she gave out patient information to a third party who had absolutely no right to it. If I'm correct, all hospital staff including nurses are bound by confidentiality, and she broke that.

That said, this was probably a final straw. I can imagine already being down and depressed, and then not being able to face the fallout of something that was bown so out of proportion (like everything to do with Middleton's pregnancy, really). The prank call might have been the direct cause, but probably not the reason.

However, I do think this should set an example. There's nothing funny about duping a low-level worker you don't know.

Sutekh
12-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah it was a lame prank. The hoo-ha is because it's a member of the Royal family, the press is obliged to pretend they give a shit about such things.4

BUT!

Breaking patient confidentiality is very serious, her career would definitely have been over. So, poor show on her part.

And also - what could be funnier than ruining someone's career for the sake of a quick prank? Proper wankers for doing that. They either don't give a shit about other people, or are too fucking stupid to consider the consequences of their actions.

kenthebear
12-09-2012, 08:37 AM
And also - what could be funnier than ruining someone's career for the sake of a quick prank? Proper wankers for doing that. They either don't give a shit about other people, or are too fucking stupid to consider the consequences of their actions.

These are people who call journalists who disagree with them 'fat slags' and theaten to do them in, and bully 14 year olds on air until they admit to getting raped.

So probably the former.

WorzelG
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah it was a lame prank. The hoo-ha is because it's a member of the Royal family, the press is obliged to pretend they give a shit about such things.4

BUT!

Breaking patient confidentiality is very serious, her career would definitely have been over. So, poor show on her part.

The nurse that committed suicide was just the one who put the call through to the ward - she didn't give out any information about Kate Middleton's condition unless I've missed something - unless everyone is lying after the event, the royal family said they hadn't made a complaint to the hospital and the hospital said they had not even disciplined, let alone sacked the nurse - so I honestly don't think her 'career was over' or anything.

marodi
12-09-2012, 02:41 PM

These are people who call journalists who disagree with them 'fat slags' and theaten to do them in, and bully 14 year olds on air until they admit to getting raped.

So probably the former.

A few weeks ago, Michael Christian gained notoriety by playing his harmonica non stop on a jet (http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/private-sydney/radio-prankster-jets-into-controversy-20121208-2b207.html). Apparently, he saw nothing wrong in what he was doing and he even relished in the attention he got for it.

Those djs are your typical bullies: immature, thoughtless and eager to do anything so that others will pay attention to them. Of course, they don't see anything wrong with their behavior; it's the ones they bully who need to "harden the fuck up".

miss k bee
12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I think the hospital management as well as the radio management are at fault. The hospital or indeed royal staff should have had some procedure in place to deal with callers trying to get through to. Leaving a nurse to make the decision was wrong. I heard nothing about one of the DJ's being on Rihanna's jet playing a harmonica non stop, I only remember one of the journalists running down the aisle naked.

Jinsai
12-11-2012, 03:02 AM
BUT!

The person who committed suicide isn't the one who related the patient's condition, it was basically the middleman dispatch. She was on that phone/prank audio for approximately .5 seconds. This is either a completely unrelated issue, or it's (at worst) the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sutekh
12-11-2012, 03:17 AM
Oh right - even more bizarre. I say it's just a coincidence.

WorzelG
12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Everyone in the media just seems to be assuming it's all down to the hoax though - but of course it's in their interest to lay the whole blame on the pranksters because otherwise they might have to answer some uncomfortable questions about their response to the prank which was totally over the top (I bet journalists were phoning the nurses and trying to find out where they live to doorstep them, speaking to their families etc)

Minpin
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't believe this because of a prank call someone call suicide, how is it possible. what about the prank caller they can't even realize what are they going to do? i don't believe on all the news on media there is some thing hidden behind this scene something which is trying to hide from the people.
Was that supposed to be coherent? I'm a good 18 beers deep and your post made no sense. Australian radio hosts (for the most part) are fuckheads, they will go to any despicable lengths for ratings. I don't condone their actions, but I wouldn't pin blame on them for her suicide. I could see the harassment following as a contribution. What is it you're trying to suggest?