PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Hate Machine book?

fgx
11-18-2012, 11:20 PM
'Pretty Hate Machine' book by Daphne Carr? Any thoughts anyone?

Leviathant
11-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Interesting observation on a number of fans, and of some of the culture that ties in with growing up in the 90s. I think that if you're in your early to mid thirties, you'll read stories that might remind you of friends, maybe of yourself.

About Pretty Hate Machine? There's a tiny little bit of that in there, but I don't think it's a great title for what the book is.

NotoriousTIMP
11-19-2012, 01:30 AM
did those special editions ever come out?

sheepdean
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Compared to most of the 33 1/3 series, it's pretty poor, but it's a nice read ... if you like that kinda thing.

Blackbookpress1984
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I read most of it, quick, easy fun read, ( i think i read it on lunch breaks when I was working retail) Not much history or factual info in it though. It's more of a collection of stories on how the album affected listeners as opposed to a biography / history of the album and its orrigins.

Not sure on the rest of the 33 1/3 series, are they work picking up?

sheepdean
11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I would say, pick up the books for the albums you like. They're good backstories, but I don't think you'd be enthralled enough if it's an album or artist that you're indifferent to

trollmanen
11-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I tried reading it but I just wasn't into it. I enjoy the 33 1/3 books that have info on the album, recording process, maybe interviews. Some of the newer ones read like a college dissertation that draw parallels between albums and whatever the author wants to talk about. The Kid A book is similar. Of the others I've read, the Loveless and 20 Jazz Funk Greats have interviews with all the members and lots of info on the songs and recording process. Some have no involvement with the bands, like Low, Another Green World, In Utero, and they were also enjoyable. Mind you, I'm just referencing ones I've read. I wanted to like this one, but I was hoping for a little more story on the writing of the album, maybe some interviews with people involved with the making of the album. I'm sure others could enjoy this book, it just wasn't for me.

fgx
11-29-2012, 01:14 AM
A few things quite interested me: a) Carr was unable to find any females fans to supply their thoughts on the album b) pretty every one of the guys she did find were, or had, been mentally unstable or at least displayed traits of being so and c) Reznor didn't visibly provide any thoughts to the author.

kdrcraig
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I read it over the summer and it was ok. Definitely more about how the album affected a few fans, or just about the fans themselves, than it is about the album. It was a quick easy read but it has barely any info about the actual album, title is quite misleading.

heimataerde
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
someone has the book in pdf?

sheepdean
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
someone has the book in pdf?
Sure here you go (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OMLQG0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theninhotline-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006OMLQG0)

new now
01-25-2013, 04:30 AM
I bought the special edition. Its quite an interesting read, far from trancendent.

But, man it looks nice with the rest of my collection. (not my image, from her etsy site)

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/files/2011/03/phm.png

MAD
01-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Well, let me put it this way. I ordered it, read nin fan reviews, I noticed it's not what I wanted (at all), I canceled my order.

Senateguard33
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I thought it was an ok read. It wasn't so much a making of the album, but rather a background and the culture surrounding it. I got the special edition with the broken logo bookmarks. It's personally signed, so it's a nice addition to the collection.

WorzelG
01-01-2021, 07:04 AM
This was a depressing read, and after Brexit and Trump here’s the smallest violin for the tragedy that has befallen white working class males!

Max
01-01-2021, 07:10 PM
This was a depressing read, and after Brexit and Trump here’s the smallest violin for the tragedy that has befallen white working class males!

Felt a lot of that too. To be honest, the last NIN concert I went to felt like that too. I was looking around and I was like, “wow, we are all just angry white working class males” and I was sad it wasn’t more diverse. In some ways it feels like that is where Trent Reznor is from but not who he is any more. like in the same way David Bowie became more than where he was from. I’d like to think some of us have become something more as well.

it’s okay to be angry white working class males. Capitalism has destroyed a lot of lives. A lot of people felt alone growing up and hurting and were taught by patriarchy that anger was the only answer for that pain. What do we end up doing with all of that? Spending our time making deep, compelling art and music, or just hating and blaming immigrants and supporting a monster?

so I read the book with both empathy and concern and fatigue. Like the world might be better served saving their empathy for a group that is more oppressed, for sure. But I can also see empathy being generally valuable, and probably the only way out of this shitshow, other than completely destroying the fascists, which is also a good option :)

WorzelG
01-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Felt a lot of that too. To be honest, the last NIN concert I went to felt like that too. I was looking around and I was like, “wow, we are all just angry white working class males” and I was sad it wasn’t more diverse. In some ways it feels like that is where Trent Reznor is from but not who he is any more. like in the same way David Bowie became more than where he was from. I’d like to think some of us have become something more as well.

it’s okay to be angry white working class males. Capitalism has destroyed a lot of lives. A lot of people felt alone growing up and hurting and were taught by patriarchy that anger was the only answer for that pain. What do we end up doing with all of that? Spending our time making deep, compelling art and music, or just hating and blaming immigrants and supporting a monster?

so I read the book with both empathy and concern and fatigue. Like the world might be better served saving their empathy for a group that is more oppressed, for sure. But I can also see empathy being generally valuable, and probably the only way out of this shitshow, other than completely destroying the fascists, which is also a good option :)
I found the audience to the London shows in 2018 to be pretty evenly split men / women and no angry males really, but very white! You never know, maybe the Soul score will bring a more diverse audience to NIN ?