PDA

View Full Version : So NIN is back together huh???

Arcspiral
11-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not really sure if any of you would be interested, but I write a music blog and I just wrote a piece about NIN making their return and how I feel about "reunited" bands. Check it out if you get a second and let me know what you think!

http://gutterbubbles.blogspot.com/2012/11/wait-i-thought-you-quit.html

I'm also gonna round up my collection and post pics later today!

Callahan
11-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Probably could have been put in the NIN Spotting thread.

But one comment I have on this article, is that you made an incorrect assumption. Trent never said that he quit, or retired. He just said he was taking a hiatus from NIN and touring, and actually stated that he wasn't quitting, was just simply taking a break and would be working on it at a later time.

Arcspiral
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
"I thought Trent "retired" Nine Inch Nails. I can't remember seeing anything that explicitly stated that NIN was done, but that was kind of my assumption. I thought it was an unspoken certainty that it was over."

I did make an incorrect assumption....Like I said, I just kind of figured that it would be over. I mean, can you imagine an almost 50 year old Trent playing "March Of The Pigs?" At the time, I would've said no. But, it looks like it's gonna happen. And I'm really cool with that!

voidnz
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
NIN can't get back together or be reunited because it's just Trent. It's down to when he feels like doing stuff. Not a group of people.

Arcspiral
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
True enough. However, as a touring entity, NIN can definitely be reunited (unless Trent just stands up there singing to a tape karaoke style). And that's really what surprised me. I guess I just didn't see that part of it coming.

Leviathant
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Dude's going to be touring til he dies. It's a cycle. Tour for a couple of years, get absolutely sick of touring, go back to the studio. Get cabin fever, after a few years, tour. If that's what you've been doing since you were 23, it seems to be a hard habit to kick.

sheepdean
11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
True enough. However, as a touring entity, NIN can definitely be reunited (unless Trent just stands up there singing to a tape karaoke style). And that's really what surprised me. I guess I just didn't see that part of it coming.
There is only ONE permanent member of NIN, touring or otherwise, so to be "reunited" in any sense is fallacious. Trent's not quit touring, he just wanted an extended break, which isn't unreasonable.

And "Wave Goodbye" followed the convention of naming tours after unreleased songs imo, rather than meaning "the last tour".

FernandoDante
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
And "Wave Goodbye" followed the convention of naming tours after unreleased songs imo, rather than meaning "the last tour".
You mean it had nothing to do with Trent saying that it would be the end of the live incarnation of NIN?

Don't get me wrong, I'll sign up for more live NIN as soon as it's available, but I do believe there was a clear understanding that he sold the Wave Goodbye tour as Nine Inch Nails, you know, "waving goodbye" to touring.

EDIT: "for the foreseeable future", ok, but still waving goodbye. Live: With Teeth, Performance 2007 and Lights In The Sky were not named after unreleased songs.

sheepdean
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
What song came back on the NINJA and Wave Goodbye tours? Now I'm Nothing. What is the closing line, repeated several times, of that song? "Wave goodbye".

Boom, your mind is blown.

FernandoDante
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
What song came back on the NINJA and Wave Goodbye tours? Now I'm Nothing. What is the closing line, repeated several times, of that song? "Wave goodbye".

Boom, your mind is blown.
Now, he wouldn't give that name to the tour just because he decided to resurrect the song.

ItsJustDave
11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I remember when Closure was announced/released and the speculation surrounding the meaning of its title.

The sky, it seems, is always falling.

sheepdean
11-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Now, he wouldn't give that name to the tour just because he decided to resurrect the song.
I firmly think Trent names his tours based on hitting "random page" on ninwiki.

Trains
11-17-2012, 06:27 AM
There is only ONE permanent member of NIN, touring or otherwise, so to be "reunited" in any sense is fallacious. Trent's not quit touring, he just wanted an extended break, which isn't unreasonable.

True, but I remember him being pretty fucking definitive about the tour being the end of NIN (See: the interview in MOJO June or July 2009 issue). I can't remember how many times I read that those shows would be the end of touring for the band, and now here we are three years later and he's denying he gave that impression at all. Don't get me wrong, I am literally overjoyed that the band are probably going to tour again in some capacity, and I'll be going to every show my bank balance allows me to. But I can't help but feel a little indignant that all the drama and import of the final tour has been gone back on only three years later. Sure, the band needed a break after all the activity of 2005 - 2009, but he could have called it for what it was and not given everyone the false impression of a final tour. The band have gone on hiatus before and it never called for a 'farewell' ever time; bands do it all the time. Of course, I'm not saying I don't want NIN to tour; holy hell I do! I just kind of feel that the big emotional goodbyes of the last tour could have been spared.

jessamineny
11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
TR at the Wiltern show: "We're not going to tour anymore as Nine Inch Nails, but we're all still going to be making music."

witte
11-17-2012, 08:56 AM
So what are those 2 bands he's starting live rehearsals with? ;)

jessamineny
11-17-2012, 09:25 AM
So what are those 2 bands he's starting live rehearsals with? ;)

Is that question to me? Hell yeah I think one is NIN, and as I said in another post somewhere, you won't see me complaining. :) That was for the people saying "he never really said NIN wouldn't tour again" and "the Wave Goodbye tour was really named after a song."

botley
11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Rehearsal pics or it didn't happen

witte
11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I really don't know.
Maybe we gonna get a big surprise.

I cannot imagine he will play songs from the nineties-era (wish, closer, hlah, sin, hurt etc etc etc): he's not in the mood for these songs anymore (different time with a different emotion). If he does, I will be a little bit disappointed (I'm not interested in a greatest hits set up)
And....he sold all the live gear/equipment a couple of years ago, he used with NIN in the past....

I cannot imagine he starts again, acting like nothing has happened and changed.

Again, I have a feeling (and I'm hoping) he will come with something different, we all don't expect!

jessamineny
11-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I really don't know.
Maybe we gonna get a big surprise.

I cannot imagine he will play songs from the nineties-era (wish, closer, hlah, sin, hurt etc etc etc): he's not in the mood for these songs anymore (different time with a different emotion). If he does, I will be a little bit disappointed (I'm not interested in a greatest hits set up)
And....he sold all the live gear/equipment a couple of years ago, he used with NIN in the past....

I cannot imagine he starts again, acting like nothing has happened and changed.

Again, I have a feeling (and I'm hoping) he will come with something different, we all don't expect!

I really hope you're right. I mean, it's not that I would be horribly disappointed to see the same set-up come back, but I would be thrilled to see something completely new, creative and inspiring. (Although I do remember when the first videos in the style of LITS Me I'm Not/Vessel/The Warning surfaced from Europe, I said that if he structured a whole tour like that I'd hate it. So I'm admittedly... fickle.)

And I think he still has all the gear to play all the old songs -- on tour, didn't they have multiples of everything in case of breakage (intentional or otherwise)?

Gray Grimez
11-17-2012, 12:00 PM
I swear he said pretty much straight after they stopped touring that it was only gonna be a hiatus and they'd be back in awhile. Don't take magazines for truth, journalists often twist things to present an agenda. And did you really honestly think he'd stop touring NiN really? I mean for all accounts and purposes in his words he only really got the hang of it somewhere in the 00's. I think it was more likely that he just wanted to take some time out to dedicate to his new relationship which is more than fair enough really isn't it!

ManBurning
11-17-2012, 01:41 PM
C'mon, everyone knew he was going to be back. I knew he was going to be back, just not this soon. I assumed he was going to be taking a longer break.
I thought 2013 was going to be devoted to all HTDA, then in late 2013 he'd start work on new NIN, use the majority of 2014 to perfect his NIN, then hit the road in 2015.

I seriously did not expect NIN to make a live comeback this soon, but i'm estatic about it! I miss live NIN so much, I've been going to soooo many live shows between 2009 and now to fill the void, and damn nothing comes close to the magic of a NIN show, nothing!

Trent is the hardest man in rock 'n roll, he just doesn't know when to stop. He jumps from one project to another without a vacation. This man is a true workaholic, nothing stands in his way, not even raising 2 children!

I'd really hate to be the one to bring this up, but I have a feeling he is using NIN as bait for his new band, HTDA. He knows not many people know about it still, and he is thinking how can he spread the word. I think he's getting NIN back together to tour with HTDA as the opening band so he can expose his new band to a wider audience. I'm just wondering if he is going to debut new NIN songs live on this tour, if he even has any.
Regarding what a few people said already, I can't see him busting out a "greatest hists" show again, and he really went above and beyond on the last tour. He busted out every known song that has never been played before (with the exception of a few I am still dying to hear - Perfect Drug, Sunspots, demon seed Where is everybody, I'm looking forward to Joining you finally). But all in all, he pretty much played his entire catalog on the last run.

The only thing I can see him doing is "The Fragile: The album Live", but I know he isn't gonna bust that out this soon. He is going to wait until the deluxe reissue of the 5.1 fragile and he will be on the road again to do the full album live from front to back.

I hope he tours on an all new set of songs, but only time will tell. More importantly, who is going to be in NIN Live now? Is Robin and JMJ and Ilan Rubins all coming back? Or is he gonna get atticus and his wife to play instead? Really makes ya wonder... it would save on hirring costs to just use the HTDA crew, haha. but something tells me MQ can't play drums, she could probably pull off a synth... Which leads me to beleive they might do what someone else above also mentioned, a 3 person TRIO NIN setup with just 3 synths IE: The warning, the great destroyer, me i'm not, vessel etc.

somewhat_
11-17-2012, 02:01 PM
For some reason, people who think they know something about the touring situation flock to the coachella message board (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page60) (p. 60 (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page60), 63 (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page63)).

Totally
11-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm just glad it's on the agenda. whenever it happens is fine & I'm going to feel as giddy as that run '05-'09 run all over again

No one individual puts quite near half the energy into live performance TR IZ does & that's something to look forward to seeing, NEVER get old!

witte
11-17-2012, 06:39 PM
For some reason, people who think they know something about the touring situation flock to the coachella message board (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page60) (p. 60 (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page60), 63 (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?58808-2013-Lineup-Confirmation-Rumors-Thread/page63)).

Sladokusac talks convinced with his statement on that message board. Wow!

onthewall2983
11-17-2012, 07:14 PM
The only thing I can see him doing is "The Fragile: The album Live", but I know he isn't gonna bust that out this soon. He is going to wait until the deluxe reissue of the 5.1 fragile and he will be on the road again to do the full album live from front to back.

Maybe he'll do some shows, record them and make it part of the package he has planned?

The Reason Being
11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Makes me wonder how exactly The Fragile could be pulled off in a live setting..I can imagine Ripe (With Decay) being a pretty anticlimactic closer in a live setting. Would be nice to hear The New Flesh and Ten Miles High though. I wonder if he's considering this... Before 2009 I never would have thought Trent would be the kind to do perform a 10+ year old album live.

FernandoDante
11-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Trent WAS hanging out with Freese and Lohner a couple of weeks ago, for whatever that's worth.

Also, I don't think The Fragile is good enough to warrant a full show where they just play it. Don't shoot me.

sheepdean
11-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Only TDS and YZ would work end to end, neither of which is quite long enough to warrant a production solely for them, imo.

Though, I'd still love to see Ghosts 1-38 in full.

WorzelG
11-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Sod off Fragile naysayers - it would a complete roller coaster live. Anyway I've seen Gary Numan play the Pleasure Principle in full live, and he played other stuff afterwards - so the whole show wouldn't have to end with Ripe (with decay) - he could always break into the trillionth Head Like a Hole afterwards to keep the punters happy. I looked up the running time - 103mins, so 15 more minutes of music would make a 2 hr show

Only TDS and YZ would work end to end, neither of which is quite long enough to warrant a production solely for them, imo.

He's done Downward Spiral live already - and he has Fragile Deluxe to tour with, so it would make sense in that respect. Sorry Ghosts 1-38 could be halved, playing the whole thing would be a snooze festival but a few interspersed with others sounds great - The Social Network soundtrack showed what Ghosts should have been in my opinion. I would actually pay to hear that soundtrack played in full

botley
11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Trent WAS hanging out with Freese and Lohner a couple of weeks ago, for whatever that's worth.AKA two close friends he likes hanging out with, neither of whom are in the band anymore. They're great players, don't get me wrong, but also mad busy dudes. I'm not holding my breath.
Also, I don't think The Fragile is good enough to warrant a full show where they just play it. Don't shoot me.SHOOTING WOULD BE TOO POOR A PUNISHMENT, BLASPHEMER

BrokenSpiral
11-18-2012, 08:36 AM
A full fragile show would be badass.

Plus if the ending isn't exciting enough for people... Encore with HLAH! FIXED!

Kidding..

BenAkenobi
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
simplest solution: to skip Starfuckers, Inc. (pretending they took those saying it "doesn't belong" into account) and end the gig with it. bingo!

jessamineny
11-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I wonder if people are stuck thinking in terms of a traditional rock show when they say The Fragile isn't strong enough to be played front-to-back, or that Ripe is a weak closer.

The Fragile is practically made to be performed in its entirety -- it is, at its essence, cinematic. Think about some of the best tour visuals: The Big Comedown, Eraser, The Greater Good. And imagine if The Fragile were paired with those kinds of treatments, like the LITS tour but jacked-up by degrees. TR could produce a masterpiece of a tour with that shit, and it would be absolutely irrelevant whether the concert ended on a banger.

Now, I'm not sure the general public would flock to see it. Even if they did, he might have a hard time breaking even. But regardless, some of you people are dead wrong, and Ripe would be like really awesome aftercare after a twisting, turning mindfuck. :P

witte
11-18-2012, 02:30 PM
They went to "The Wall" a couple of months ago. That show inspired him ...

FernandoDante
11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
"I'm Looking Foward to Joining You Finally" live. That's a scary thought. No thanks.

Though I do enjoy most of the album, there's just so much superior stuff they could be playing instead.

IMO, I'd rather see a "balanced" setlist. I admire The Fragile as a record, but I'd be surprised to see it pulled off live as well as The Wall.

dlb
11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
If Trent can end a concert with six minutes of static noise after HLAH then he can end a concert with the amazing ripe for sure. underneath it all is a great way to get people nuts for the last time before going right into ripe (with decay).

And I agree, the Fragile is highly cinematic and the visuals that we were given around that time already were more than awesome. Just remember the two commercials on the AATCHB DVD as well as the concert DVD by itself. la mer and the great below are just as powerful as a visual as is the LITS experience was.

And don't forget that NIN have so much room to play with these old songs and how they are brought to life onstage. the possibilities are almost endless and I'm sure that if they ever decide to bring something like this to the audience we will be blown away as always. Even if Trent is not 30 anymore.

carpenoctem
11-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm through trying to predict this man's brain. I take everything he says with a grain of salt because he changes his mind a lot. He talks to the press so rarely that we latch onto every little thing he says, even if it's an off-the-cuff remark based on how he's feeling that day. I'm sure he knows by now that his more obsessive fans take his every recorded word as "canon" but he's still a human being, capricious and ever-changing. Am I surprised? Not really. Just glad for another opportunity to see a band that I still consider to be my first real love in music.

WorzelG
11-18-2012, 05:25 PM
. He talks to the press so rarely

Are you serious? it seems he has been in the press a lot over the last few years - certainly since 2008

carpenoctem
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Are you serious? it seems he has been in the press a lot over the last few years - certainly since 2008

Rarely for this day and age. Usually bands will do the pre-album circuit with magazines and radio shows and blogs, and be spewing forth about everything in their lives. Trent's a lot more reserved, and when he does make appearances he keeps his answers short and sweet.

botley
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Since this has somehow turned into a thread about The Fragile as a live piece, I guess I'll chime in about what I imagine that might look like.

"I'm Looking Foward to Joining You Finally" live. That's a scary thought. No thanks.

Though I do enjoy most of the album, there's just so much superior stuff they could be playing instead.

IMO, I'd rather see a "balanced" setlist. I admire The Fragile as a record, but I'd be surprised to see it pulled off live as well as The Wall.
The "Lights in the Sky" lineup (with Ilan instead of Freese, just for extra multi-instrumentalist power) could pull off just about every song on the album with no problem; though perhaps a few extra string players could help out on a couple of songs, and bringing back Mike Garson as a special guest would be great. The Fragile is my favourite LP, and the final four songs would make an absolutely STUNNING finale to a live show, if treated with the right visuals.

"...Joining You, Finally" is about Trent losing his grandmother, and more broadly, about losing the familial ties that ground us all in a safe, sane environment. Set next to "The Big Come Down" as a pair, the two songs deeply explore how that loss cuts to the bone, more so than even garden-variety solipsistic depression compounded by substance abuse (which itself can be an attempt to control that sense of loss by throwing alcohol/drugs at it). "Underneath It All" is a paean to finding an empathetic core in oneself, to attempting some kind of connection with others, even from under the layers of numbness one has imposed to dull that loss. It's uplifting stuff, and then "Ripe (With Decay)" explores the topography of hiding in a remote corner, of escapism; how uncertain it feels waking up somewhere different and new. Given the personal changes TR himself has been undergoing since the band last seriously tackled The Fragile, I believe this is the perfect territory for NIN to revisit in 2013.

It'd certainly be better than watching a 48-year-old father of two go through the motions of singing "Wish" for the seven hundredth time.

GoodSoldier333
11-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Ghosts with Still..

joplinpicasso
11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Wow, botley. You've made me completely rethink "Underneath It All," and you've probably influenced my perspective of the whole album. So...kudos.

BrokenSpiral
11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Freese, cortini, lohner, fink and a full fragile set. Book it!

botley
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Wow, botley. You've made me completely rethink "Underneath It All," and you've probably influenced my perspective of the whole album. So...kudos.
My pleasure. Because of this thread, I replayed through all of 'Right' on the way to work today, and later on had a vivid daydream about those four songs as a tetraptych, so thank YOU dear readers/posters. The last two songs have always been an amazing combination, and perfectly sum up the album's dark but hopeful vibe.

Recently I came to realize the true profundity of "...Joining You, Finally" and "The Big Come Down" after hearing Dave Navarro relate some of his emotional struggles dealing with the loss of his mother (whom he tragically lost when young, because her boyfriend killed her). He's working on a documentary about her murder right now, and when it's finally released I think it'll be quite fascinating. Losing your once-stable family unit wreaks havoc, particularly on those predisposed to addiction.

It's interesting that people mention The Wall Live as a benchmark for live performances; I've seen that tour twice now, once a couple of years ago in an arena on the second night of the tour, and once earlier this summer in a baseball stadium. Roger Waters has very successfully made that piece (which is partly about the loss of his own parent, in WWII) into a more broad-reaching political allegory without losing any of its emotional resonance. If NIN does return next year, Reznor may be inspired to shoot for a similar elder-statesman vibe.

Or he can play a greatest-hits set so FernandoDante can be happy.

ManBurning
11-19-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm looking forward to Joining you, Finally has always been one of my favourite tracks from "The Fragile", I understand how personal of a song it is to Trent, but I would still love to hear it live. Something so powerful about it, yet it's so simplistic.

Underneath it all and Ripe (With Decay) are also huge favs of mine. Damn come to think of it, the Right side is the side that gets less attention live, even "Where Is Everybody?" has yet to see the light of day live, and yes call me a cheesy sap, but I LOVE that song. The bassline along is so bad-ass, would love to hear that bass cranked to the max in an arena setting.

I said it before (in the Marilyn Manson thread), that if and when Trent drops a "Fragile from front to back" tour, I'll be doing anything and everything I can to drop whatever the hell it is I am doing at the time to try and hit every show possible (at least in North America). This would not be something to miss.

OFF TOPIC EDIT: It's funny how the possibily of NIN returning has made me frequent the NIN section of this board again. The front image holds soooo much truth to it: "come for the Nine Inch nails, stay for the musical revolution".

The musical Revolution has been where I have spent 90% of the last year. barely coming into the NIN section (even though this is technically a NIN board). But now with the recent announcement of NIN returning, and Heavenly Bearded winning that storage locker, I've been back to the NIN section in full force.

fillow
11-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Though I like the idea, I highly doubt it can happen as a 'tour'. More like the final Wave Goodbye shows - 4-5 dates of residency at few selected cities.
Also, these shows will need 10 Miles High and The New Flesh badly.

joplinpicasso
11-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The thoughts on having an album performed in full take on larger ideals than originally intended definitely resonate with my feelings after seeing The Who perform 'Quadrophenia' straight through. The visuals added this extra layer of commentary -- almost as another band member -- what was a grandiose rock opera about a young English punk trying to fit in with his family and the youth social scenes of the 1960s turned into a grandiose rock opera about modern music history and youth culture altogether.

[Also, I absolutely cannot wait until I listen to 'The Fragile' again. I haven't in a while]

botley
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
The thoughts on having an album performed in full take on larger ideals than originally intended definitely resonate with my feelings after seeing The Who perform 'Quadrophenia' straight through. The visuals added this extra layer of commentary -- almost as another band member -- what was a grandiose rock opera about a young English punk trying to fit in with his family and the youth social scenes of the 1960s turned into a grandiose rock opera about modern music history and youth culture altogether.
Wow, I am BUMMED to be missing that; they're playing it in Toronto on Friday but I have to work somewhere else that night.

Townshend and Waters have enough of a wide audience to tour those shows on a giant scale, but perhaps outside of some specialized festivals (I'm thinking of the way The Stooges presented all of Fun House at Vegoose & All Tomorrow's Parties a few years ago) it'd better suit NIN to put The Fragile on in a few small venues over several nights; cf. Lou Reed doing Berlin in New York plus some cities in Europe.

The common denominator here yet again (Reznor, Reed, Waters) is Bob Ezrin, unsurprisingly. If anyone has his number, get the man to give Reznor a call. With his conceptual help, and NIN's usual high production value, it could be quite a special show.

allegro
11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I saw the Who perform "Quadrophenia" in its entirety back in, um, '95? '96? The differences between "Quadrophenia" and "The Fragile" live: (a) "Quadrophenia" is a rock opera, with a narrative and (b) although it was a double album, Quadrophenia live still left enough time for them to perform some greatest hits like "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Baba O'Reilly" and "Won't Get Fooled Again." (They obviously shortened the length of some of the Quadrophenia songs, live.) But, we were all painfully aware of the fact that the album was released in 1973 and that the majority of the audience was comprised of aging Boomers pretending to be back in The Seventies.

Length of entire Quadrophenia LP: 81:36. Length of entire The Fragile LP: 112.20.

Anyway, re NIN touring again, after having done the big goodbye tour, only one thing comes to mind:

Kiss, and Gene Simmons' never-ending reunion shows. Walking a thin line, there.

Unfortunately, as Reznor already indicated in interviews, live shows seems to be the only way to make money in that business.

botley
11-19-2012, 02:35 PM
All good points. From the reviews that I've read, the 1996 Quadrophenia shows employed a STRICT narrative thread, thanks to the po-faced narration video links between songs, which they have now abandoned in favour of a more impressionistic video collage. Probably a better call, though I can't really speak to the merits of it as I'm not going to be able to see the new version (unless they put a DVD out from this tour). When I saw the Who in 2006, they were touring in support of a new album and playing new songs. Their fans did not respond to the work as well as Townshend had probably hoped for, because everybody around me was standing up for the old tunes and sitting down as soon as a new one started. When you get that kind of response, it's clear that people are really there for nostalgic purposes rather than anything else.

As a music fan, I appreciate the SOUND of Quadrophenia even though it's never resonated with me emotionally. They didn't play a single song from it at the show I went to and I didn't really notice.

Reznor was consciously avoiding saying "this is the FINAL final, no more NIN ever" in interviews last time, precisely in order to avoid the inevitable Simmons-ized cynical narrative of a reunion/farewell/reunion cycle. I mean, fans obviously freaked out because there was a small chance he WOULDN'T go back to touring with NIN, but clearly he has found something about it that still needs exploring. I will withhold my verdict on whether it's worth all the 2009 fuss and actually warrants the inevitable pricey ticket costs until we see proper tour dates and some idea of what the shows may be like. Until now, there have been vague hints and bookings but no formal announcements. You can't take those to the bank.

2008: Lights in the Sky
2009: Wave Goodbye
2013: Staying Right Beside You?

allegro
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
2013: Bored Out Of My Mind

FernandoDante
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Anyway, re NIN touring again, after having done the big goodbye tour, only one thing comes to mind:

Kiss, and Gene Simmons' never-ending reunion shows. Walking a thin line, there.

Unfortunately, as Reznor already indicated in interviews, live shows seems to be the only way to make money in that business.
Trent once joked that he got a call from Gene Simmons before the Wave Goodbye tour: "Just say it’s your last tour, that always keeps the fans coming."

allegro
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
^ haha it's true!!