PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode VII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

littlemonkey613
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/disney-lucas-idUSL3E8LU5CM20121030

Disney said there would be a new series of "Star Wars" feature films as part of the deal, with the first movie expected in 2015. Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, in prepared remarks for analysts, said the plan was to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter.

YOU GUYS!

So I'm guessing this is going to be more like Disney funding the projects like Avengers and Pixar films?

WorzelG
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I hope Lucas' role is symbolic - the prequels were awful (except for some moments) with terrible scripts and he engaged in lots of fuckery of the originals, so much so I'm still undecided as to whether get the Blu-ray of all of them or not

Wretchedest
10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

littlemonkey613
10-30-2012, 04:00 PM
"Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Well thank god.

Maul
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
No more Star Wars films please.Just no.

Vertigo
10-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I hope Lucas' role is symbolic - the prequels were awful (except for some moments) with terrible scripts and he engaged in lots of fuckery of the originals, so much so I'm still undecided as to whether get the Blu-ray of all of them or not

I loved the prequels (well, okay, loved one scene in Phantom Menace, enjoyed Clones and loved Sith), but am still not keen on there being any more. What more is there to be said? It smacks of a film project motivated solely by financial intent rather than creative, or through passion.
If they'd buy up LucasArts and start churning out more of their bitching adventure games, RPGs and Jedi Knights, I'd be all on board. There's plenty to explore with gaming as the medium.

...Going back to the prequels though, I will admit I think they could have been enormously improved with another writer and director.

heroicraptor
10-30-2012, 04:15 PM
I loved the prequels
The fuck is wrong with you.

If they'd buy up LucasArts and start churning out more of their bitching adventure games, RPGs and Jedi Knights, I'd be all on board. There's plenty to explore with gaming as the medium.

They did. Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm.

littlemonkey613
10-30-2012, 04:17 PM
I just think there's too many possibilities and too extensive a universe to at least not be open to completely new stories and characters, especially if they are going to go the Marvel route and release quality work (which very well might be the case). It could be so awesome! Especially now that special effects are insanely better than in 2005.

WorzelG
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I loved the prequels (well, okay, loved one scene in Phantom Menace, enjoyed Clones and loved Sith), but am still not keen on there being any more. What more is there to be said? It smacks of a film project motivated solely by financial intent rather than creative, or through passion.

...Going back to the prequels though, I will admit I think they could have been enormously improved with another writer and director.

I love some scenes in the prequels, I loved Phantom Menace when I first saw it and thought Darth Maul was great but completely underused. The lightsabre fights were brilliantly choreographed - Clones was just completely boring though and then it was lifted by Sith, which was the best of the three. My problem with them was the scripts mainly (i actually thought McGregor was good as Obi-Wan) - the thing is I thought they were trying much too hard to bring 'emotions' into it and failing, because practically every bit of dialogue between Anakin and Amidala was unbelievable and cringe-inducing. They tried to cram too much plot into it, so I was completely bored by the whole Trade Federation machinations.

The original films had very simple plots - a fight between good and evil, Western in space - and were much the better for it, with characters you could actually care about.

And I know real life is complicated, with issues that are not black and white - I just don't think Star Wars is an appropriate place to comment on that!

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
"I hate merchandising" says Indiana Jones, while he's slowly lowered in to a pit of Buzz Lightyear action figures.

Fixer808
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
What with the sometimes outstanding novels coming out of the Expanded Universe, there's SO much source material they could pull from. Look at the Thrawn trilogy, fantastic series! Watch Lucas throw as many wrenches as he can into the process, though...

Also, my cousin's 6-year-old son while they were watching "...Jedi": "Why don't they just shoot the ewoks?"
Why not indeed, kid... why not indeed...

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
I love SW as much as the next fanatic but stop cashing in on the Star Wars franchise and try something new. Jeez.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Uhh, I think that's what they're trying to do. Along with Indiana Jones, etc. Basically to save both franchises from the mega shitstorm of putrid filth that were 'Episodes I-III' and 'Indiana Jones: Kingdom of The Shitty Idea Aww Fuck It Aliens...Aliens ok?'

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Uhh, I think that's what they're trying to do. Along with Indiana Jones, etc. Basically to save both franchises from the mega shitstorm of putrid filth that were 'Episodes I-III' and 'Indiana Jones: Kingdom of The Shitty Idea Aww Fuck It Aliens...Aliens ok?'

I mean entirely. Lucas has done nothing but live off the Star Wars fame in filmmaking since 1977 for the most part. Try a new story with an entirely different angle that isn't part of Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 04:40 PM
At this point though, why bother? They could make the next one just 2 hours of them in jedi robes taking shits on a table and it'd make a billion. People can't see the bigger picture I think. It's already oversaturated...already been driven in the dirt...there's no going back for either of the main franchises...might as well keep pumping out more and making more $$$.

WorzelG
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Didn't Lucas direct American Grafitti which was applauded for dialogue etc - when did he lose his ear for it? It's like he shut himself away in Skywalker ranch and lost touch with how people talk

Lutz
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Didn't Lucas direct American Grafitti which was applauded for dialogue etc - when did he lose his ear for it? It's like he shut himself away in Skywalker ranch and lost touch with how people talk

Like with Star Wars it's just not the same because everyone isn't coked up to the eyeballs.

Sutekh
10-30-2012, 05:36 PM
American graffitti was about the sort of place he grew up in, around the time he was a youngster. I reckon the dialogue is better because it's observed, whereas with star wars he had to contrive it from the ground up

PooPooMeowChow
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
If you like prequels.
This will tell you why you shouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

fillow
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
The prequels were okay. Come on you guys, grow up.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Well ladies and gents....here it is. The end of the internet. We can shut 'er down now I think...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/527/theendoftheinternets.jpg

thelastdisciple
10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3-r2J1f17c

I'm with these guys.

Just because everyone and their dog thinks it's cool to hate the prequels... doesn't mean there isn't something to take away from those films.

On that note, Disney..... wow this is going to be interesting..... I was actually looking forward to Star Wars going down a bit of a darker route instead of a lighter one.. i don't think we'll see them mining the EU for stories featuring characters like the Yuuzhan Vong or anything, that'd seem too dark for them.

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 07:45 PM
The Prequels weren't bad but they didn't live up to the storylines, character growth or aesthetics of the originals. The time frame they were made didn't make the originals a special case either.

For me:

Jedi > Empire > Revenge > New Hope > Menace > Clones

Frozen Beach
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Hayden Christensenm, Jake Loyd and Natalie Portman ruin the prequels for me with their shitty acting. Thankfully Natalie Portman has gotten better at acting. The other two can fade into oblivion for all I care.

Also, fuck Jar Jar Binks. That is all.

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Hayden Christensenm, Jake Loyd and Natalie Portman ruin the prequels for me with their shitty acting. Thankfully Natalie Portman has gotten better at acting. The other two can fade into oblivion for all I care.

Also, fuck Jar Jar Binks. That is all.

I always considered Jar Jar Binks an attempt by Lucas to make him the Chewbacca type character from the Prequels. Obviously it didn't happen.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I'd say it was to add comic relief a la C-3PO, not Chewie...

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd say it was to add comic relief a la C-3PO, not Chewie...

I say Chewbacca since he's an organic species and not a Droid. I get your angle.

Either way: Failed.

I have noticed through the years he's the most hated by fans.

Conan The Barbarian
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
I say Chewbacca since he's an organic species and not a Droid. I get your angle.

Either way: Failed.

I have noticed through the years he's the most hated by fans.

3PO or Binks? I cannot imagine a world with a hatred of 3PO.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Why Disney brings new hope to Star Wars. (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/10/disney-star-wars-new-hope/)

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I'll believe it when I see it ^

3PO or Binks? I cannot imagine a world with a hatred of 3PO.

Jar Jar Binks

botley
10-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Look, folks, I love this forum and especially all of you, but honestly... do we really need another thread on the internet about the Star Wars prequels and their relative merits? The last one came out seven years ago; they are here to stay, like it or not. Nobody is going to change anyone else's opinion of them. Not with sophistry, Jedi mind tricks, or hour-long YouTube videos. That's not really the topic at hand, anyway.

For everyone's sake, can we please, please just talk about Lucasfilm being acquired by Disney and ONLY THAT? What will it mean for the future of the franchise? Why is George Lucas, after spending a lifetime building his universe outside the conventional studio system, handing over the reins now? Is he finally satisfied that he's done all the work he could? Is this purely a cynical move to make more cash? Will Disney be more receptive to fans' desires than he was?

Piko
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
http://youtu.be/piVnArp9ZE0

I'm skeptical. But maybe Disney can do some good for the series... Maybe.

Conan The Barbarian
10-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't see the wrong in this thread. What you are implying is that we shouldn't talk about star wars when in fact there are many, many, many fans on this board. And that also means that you want this board to lose traffic when we feel like talking about star wars.

I'm not beefing, just don't understand what is wrong with us talking about a franchise that we love see get destroyed and a possible resurrection.

botley
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Talk about the future of Star Wars, by all means, but the theme of "prequels, LOL fail" / "no U" has already been exhaustively explored on this board many times and we were heading down that path right before I posted.

Disney will, I think, continue to thwart all those hopes for a full official restoration of the '77–'83 trilogy as it originally appeared in theatres. I mean, if there's a studio that has LESS respect for preserving the integrity of a theatrical presentation than Lucasfilm, it's them.

Conan The Barbarian
10-30-2012, 09:23 PM
ah gotcha.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/10/disney-star-wars-new-hope/

thelastdisciple
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
If they can get Kyle Katarn (quite possibly my favorite SW character of all time) into the new films, I'll be a happy camper.

Piko
10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Talk about the future of Star Wars, by all means, but the theme of "prequels, LOL fail" / "no U" has already been exhaustively explored on this board many times and we were heading down that path right before I posted.

Disney will, I think, continue to thwart all those hopes for a full official restoration of the '77–'83 trilogy as it originally appeared in theatres. I mean, if there's a studio that has LESS respect for preserving the integrity of a theatrical presentation than Lucasfilm, it's them.

Disney will do what's right for their shareholders. If there's a good demand (which there is) for the original trilogy. Lucas denies that its possible though. I'm calling BS though.

Space Suicide
10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Disney will do what's right for their shareholders. If there's a good demand (which there is) for the original trilogy. Lucas denies that its possible though. I'm calling BS though.

I have to weigh in and agree. I'd love an ORIGINAL version of the films released. Cheap effects, botches and all.

I have HATED all the previous releases where it's been "Updated" minus the minimally remastered 1998 set.

Senateguard33
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm interested in more films, but as far as I'm concerned, the main story has been told. Looking back, here's what I think:
5>3>4>6>2>1.

Like Return of the Jedi, Both The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones had awesome ideas mixed in with not so good ideas that range from tolerable to flat out stupid. The Original movie, The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge Of The Sith are all awesome in my book.

orestes
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Guys, the tentative title of the next movie is Episode VII, so I don't know why we're even discussing the prequels, outside of a cautionary example on how to fuck up a brand.

Consider me indifferent until the director/casting are announced.

Senateguard33
10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
LIES. If you are that concerned with "The Brand" then Return Of The Jedi and the animated shows should had ruined that for you

thelastdisciple
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
It's kind of hard to discuss Star Wars Episode VII a movie we know nothing about yet and not reference the already established lore.

orestes
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
The only episodes I've watched were the original Clone Wars series animated by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Broadbent
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Do you think they will re-make the original 3? maybe do a shadows of the empire movie? star wars is disney's bitch now.

henryeatscereal
10-30-2012, 10:56 PM
First: Pixar, Then: Marvel, Tomorrow: The World (A.K.A. Time Warner)

thelastdisciple
10-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Do you think they will re-make the original 3? maybe do a shadows of the empire movie? star wars is disney's bitch now.
George is still a creative consultant and he has a lot of ideas already conjured up that will progress the story and move it forward.

Remakes are not the intention here at least not right now i don't think.

I wonder if we'll actually see the live action series come out on the other end of this. 50 some scripts are there still sitting on the shelf to flesh out the era between Episodes 3 and 4.

Lutz
10-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I imagine this move is an attempt to pick up a known sci-fi brand after the failure of both Narnia and John Carter.

If we're talking about tone I would say the new Star Wars will be very similar to what they tried to do with those franchises.

october_midnight
10-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Agreed. Everyone I've talked to has this thing in their minds where Disney and the Star Wars franchise are completely opposite sides of the spectrum so to speak. Whereas the first trilogy, ok...a bit darker, a bit heavier in depth...and obviously way better. But the last trilogy...to me they were basically right on course with a big Disney movie anyways. Hyper levels of color, cartoonish characters. Hell, Phantom Menace was this giant neon mess with that Boss Nass guy, the frog dude slobbering around all over the place. A bit far off from the subtlety of Boba Fett lol.

dpeters
10-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Disney buys Marvel
Disney hires Whedon to write/direct The Avengers

Disney buys Lucasfilm
Disney hires ___________ to write/direct Star Wars VII

butter_hole
10-31-2012, 02:58 AM
Michael J Fox?

Fixer808
10-31-2012, 03:39 AM
"Buy Star Wars before it goes BACK IN THE DISNEY VAULT, FOREVER!!!"

Vertigo
10-31-2012, 03:51 AM
They did [acquire LucasArts as part of the deal]. Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm.

Well then, that's the highlight of the story as far as I'm concerned. So long as they actually use it...

Frozen Beach
10-31-2012, 04:11 AM
David Lynch directs the new Star Wars film to make up for not directing Return of the Jedi when he had the chance. What? I can dream, can't I?

Jinsai
10-31-2012, 05:05 AM
I can see the validity of mentioning the prequels (along with Lucas' repeated attempts to destroy the original trilogy) when we discuss an upcoming sequel that potentially may have little or nothing to do with George Lucas. Had the prequels been good movies, it would be a troubling development for the fans to see Disney taking over the franchise. Given the way things have played out though, it's an interesting development that I think most people are supportive of.

If you had told people 20 years ago that Disney was acquiring the rights to Star Wars and were producing a sequel to Return of the Jedi, people would have been outraged. It's only because of those prequels (and the "special" edition changes) that people are optimistic. That's interesting to me at least.

Besides, outside of that framing, we really have nothing to work with.

I'm not personally excited yet, but whatever. I don't know the details of the negotiation, but the most exciting thing to me about this deal is the possibility that maybe we'll eventually see a hi-def unmolested release of the original trilogy at some point.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
10-31-2012, 05:35 AM
I see no downside to this deal. Like, I can come up with not a single one.

Fixer808
10-31-2012, 05:53 AM
the most exciting thing to me about this deal is the possibility that maybe we'll eventually see a hi-def unmolested release of the original trilogy at some point.
See above "Disney Vault" post. I'll bet Lucas put a Vault clause in the contract, and pretty soon Disney mercenaries will be breaking into our houses looking for those '89 release VHS or--- did you hear that? It sounded like someone opening my back door and-------

onthewall2983
10-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Fox still has the rights to the original trilogy, this deal is for future movies only.

Fixer808
10-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Oh... he'll find a way. Just remember that this is probably the exchange from 1976:
Lucas: "If you let me do this, I want the merchandizing rights, too."
Fox: "Mercha-WHAT?! HAH! Whatever that is, you can have 'em!"
Lucas: *strokes slowly engorging chin* "Good... gooooooood..."

ambergris
10-31-2012, 06:50 AM
Didn't Lucas have the idea of nine movies in the first place? Maybe he found himself too old or tired to do the last trilogy.

Leman Russ
10-31-2012, 07:42 AM
I'd love to see Episodes VII-IX, as long as Lucas has relatively nothing to do with them. There are so many stories in books, video games, etc...that they could mine for a really good set of movies.

Piko
10-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Didn't Lucas have the idea of nine movies in the first place? Maybe he found himself too old or tired to do the last trilogy.

In a way that is what happened. I remember that the original idea was to do the prequels AND episodes 7-9. And somewhere along the way, he decided against it...

henryeatscereal
10-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Disney buys Marvel
Disney hires Whedon to write/direct The Avengers

Disney buys Lucasfilm
Disney hires ___________ to write/direct Star Wars VII
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nOm_0-a1-r0/UF7ej43m9AI/AAAAAAAABD4/KHsu7Bqb4Io/s1600/michael_bay_transformers.jpg
Yes you can facepalm all you want...

ltrandazzo
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Oh believe me. I will.

october_midnight
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
It only let me facepalm that picture once. Something we should look into correcting...

serotoninXxX
10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Some bullet points on the deal:

1) Disney now owns all Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and ILM (the company that once owned Pixar), as well as the trademark for "Android" or "Droid". Disney will now own all intellectual property rights with some distribution and licensing exceptions based on existing deals, much like how Universal still has the Marvel theme park license for a while yet.
2) Much was made of Disney's global licensed product and distribution reach making better use of LucasFilm licenses, with all emphasis on the $4.05 billion paid being relative to the value of the Star Wars franchise. For example, this would imply that any Star Wars (and Indiana Jones?) licensed comic books will now go under Marvel once the current Star Wars/Dark Horse contract ends, and video games would go through Disney Interactive. Dark Horse Comics is the current steward of the "Star Wars" license when it comes to comics and graphic novels, and today President Mike Richardson stated that "Star Wars" will continue to have a home at Dark Horse for "the near future."
3) Disney plans to release a new Star Wars movie every 2-3 years starting in 2015. All of them will be in 3D.
4) Star Wars Episodes 7, 8, and 9 will be a trilogy. The treatment is done, is in "early stage development", and the movies are to be released every other year.
5) ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate.
6) Fox retains distribution rights to the original Star Wars, number four in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, non-theatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020. All future films will be distributed solely by Disney, unlike Paramount retaining partial distribution rights when Marvel was acquired. No mention was made of who now owns the Star Wars Holiday Special. :(

henryeatscereal
10-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Geeez, Star Wars in 3D, how i didn't see that one comin' :/

Hazekiah
10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
^ Not quite sure, really...they've already re-released Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace in 3D with Episode Two on deck & the announcement was made long ago that both initial trilogies would be converted & re-released in theaters. Personally, I'm totally into the idea of the NEW trilogy being released concurrently along with the re-releases. Star Wars theatrical 3D overdose ftw!!! :D

Collin
10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
^ Not quite sure, really...they've already re-released Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace in 3D with Episode Two on deck & the announcement was made long ago that both initial trilogies would be converted & re-released in theaters. Personally, I'm totally into the idea of the NEW trilogy being released concurrently along with the re-releases. Star Wars theatrical 3D overdose ftw!!! :D

Jesus, they are gonna make soooo much money off of this.

october_midnight
10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
http://medias.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Darth-Vader-goes-to-disneyland.gif

Space Suicide
10-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Would be better if Grand Moff Tarkin was with Vader.

henryeatscereal
10-31-2012, 07:23 PM
It's official: Shit has hit the fan!

http://youtu.be/xUbH1SEsqiE

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
The only great thing to come out of the prequels was DARTH FUCKING MAUL! He should have been in the film a lot more, especially for a freaking Sith. Don't even get me started with the other two.

I do not like this at all, they should just stop.

october_midnight
10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
It was announced yesterday that Disney acquired Lucasfilm with plans to create a new "Star Wars" trilogy. Then came a rumor that the stories would be based on Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" series of novels.

Lucasfilm has now revealed to E! Online that the new films won't be based on Zahn's work. The company says that the trilogy "is an original story." We've already heard that George Lucas provided treatments for an entire trilogy and possibly even beyond that.

According to Dave Pollock, who wrote an unauthorized George Lucas biography "Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas," revealed that he had interviewed Lucas over 80 times and says that the new trilogy will focus on Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, adding: "It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had action, really interesting new worlds, new characters."

Regarding the first six "Star Wars" films, it turns out that 20th Century Fox owns all of them. The original movie, "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope," is the studio's forever. The next five films will be theirs until May 2020. This is why Disney will struggle to release the original, unedited trilogy box set in the near future.

Vertigo
11-01-2012, 03:00 AM
7, 8 and 9 were the most exciting stories, were they now? I distinctly remember Lucas saying that they wouldn't be interesting enough to commit to celluloid, back when Revenge Of The Sith was still doing its media rounds.

thelastdisciple
11-01-2012, 03:11 AM
I just find it funny that in the same year this happened...

http://youtu.be/Q41P8BICP3k

Conan The Barbarian
11-01-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173445-george-lucas-will-donate-most-of-the-405b-from-star-wars-deal

Hopefully people get educated on " if it aint broken, dont fix it."

henryeatscereal
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
It was announced yesterday that Disney acquired Lucasfilm with plans to create a new "Star Wars" trilogy. Then came a rumor that the stories would be based on Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" series of novels.

Lucasfilm has now revealed to E! Online that the new films won't be based on Zahn's work. The company says that the trilogy "is an original story." We've already heard that George Lucas provided treatments for an entire trilogy and possibly even beyond that.

According to Dave Pollock, who wrote an unauthorized George Lucas biography "Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas," revealed that he had interviewed Lucas over 80 times and says that the new trilogy will focus on Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, adding: "It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had action, really interesting new worlds, new characters."

Regarding the first six "Star Wars" films, it turns out that 20th Century Fox owns all of them. The original movie, "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope," is the studio's forever. The next five films will be theirs until May 2020. This is why Disney will struggle to release the original, unedited trilogy box set in the near future.
Hmmm... i think the Thrawn Trilogy is good but i like the comic book stories a lot more, in fact i think they should go with Dark Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Empire).
Sadly i don't think they will use it as a basis for Episode VII, the story is very dark and violent and shows the hero as the villain, plus Dark Horse made this history for the expanded Star Wars universe and i don't think they want to pay them any royalties, in fact i think they will end up losing the SW rights to Marvel.

Leman Russ
11-01-2012, 02:09 PM
One thing I hope doesn't happen is the new movies having anything to do with cloning. A lot of the EU books and comics had to do clones of Luke, clones of the Emperor, clones of whatever. It gets pretty old and is a pretty lame plot device to keep using it over and over.

henryeatscereal
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Well you guys don't have to worry it will be a new story altogether (http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/11/01/lucas-met-with-writers-about-star-wars-7-before-disney-sale/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Findus
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Two years ago, there were spy reports that a new trilogy was in the works, with speculation that it could be either 10,11,12, or 7,8,9.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/10/new-star-wars-trilogy/

Frozen Beach
11-03-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
I've gained quite a lot of respect back for George Lucas because of this.

Fixer808
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow, that's a pretty classy move.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
4 Billion?? Shit, what a great way of showing how the rich "Can" fork over some extra dollars.. that is pretty awesome.

WorzelG
11-04-2012, 12:06 PM
This makes me feel quite churlish for prequels mockery

october_midnight
11-04-2012, 12:13 PM
The shitty thing is it being this day and age, half of what I'm reading online is people saying there must be some catch, or that it doesn't make up for 'what he's done' yada yada. He's donating four fuckin' billion! Can't say that's anything other than a classy as fuck move.

WorzelG
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Woah - these people just aren't as forgiving as we are

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
For perspective, $4 billion represents about 6% of this year's K-12 education budget in California.

Fixer808
11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Oh, well he might as well just toss it in the garbage, then...

aggroculture
11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
What I'd be interested in: something on Vader between III and IV. The whole point of the prequels was to show how Vader became Vader and they failed massively at that. I want to know how we get from whiny Anikin (end of III) to badass Vader (opening of IV). There's some graphic novels and novels on this topic but I'd like to see a film about it.

What I am NOT interested in: any of that wannabe Blade Runner city/Speed Racer abomination that appeared in the prequels.

And can we have some more Asaji Ventress please? Why introduce such an awesome-looking character to give her zero screen time? Sheesh.

Hazekiah
11-06-2012, 12:51 AM
That's easy. Until the Prequel Trilogy was over halfway finished *ahem* Asajj was nothing more than one concept design amongst about a billion others. By the time her character was solidified for Tartakovsky's (fucking AWESOME) "Star Wars: Clone Wars" shorts the 3rd film was pretty much in the bag. That said, if you give the latter-day (and fucking AWESOME) "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" a shot you'll see she's had PLENTY of screen time. Agreed, however...I'd LOVE to see her character explored in the live action films FOR SURE.

And I think you're kinda giving undue short shrift to Anakin's transition to badassery in the prequels. Sure, it was a bit of a fiasco and ended with that whiny-ass and legendarily godawful "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!" but then that's pretty much how he went out in SW Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi, too. You know, all emo and shit. But BEFORE he was hamming it up for Padme at the end of SW Ep. III Revenge of the Sith, we saw him get pretty damned hot-tempered and aggro while he was strutting his stuff with some pretty badassed swagger for a bit, so it's not like they didn't illustrate his Vaderness or explain how he got there at all. But, again, that said...I'd LOVE to see more of his transition in the live action films. Same goes for the early days of the Rebellion, especially considering it was written and even at least partially filmed but cut from the movies. Bah! There's always the live action T.V. series. Hopefully.

And a deeper exploration of Coruscant is just RIFE with potential. It was just handled badly. If anything, I'd say they NEED to get into that stuff to help redeem the failure of the prequels and help make what little they DID show more worthwhile. It's certainly a good template and design to start with, at least. It just needs to be handled better...like 90% of the material in the prequels, really.

Oh, and one more thing.

I know California's pretty progressive and all that, but I'd be willing to bet that four billion bucks of George Lucas Edutopia money equals about four HUNDRED billion of everyday-bullshit school funding. Just sayin'.

Lutz
11-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Given how old all the original cast are I say get Woody Allen to direct episode VII in full white entitlement/Bergman mode.

It also makes total sense catering a new movie to the audience who grew up with the originals.

And I just can't wait to see how they do Carrie Fishers hair in the new movies!

thelastdisciple
11-06-2012, 10:27 AM
if you give the latter-day (and fucking AWESOME) "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" a shot you'll see she's had PLENTY of screen time.
The Clone Wars series that's now in it's 5th season has been fucking amazing for sure, contrary to popular belief the show is not as kiddy as it might have started out to be.. it has matured a lot along the way and has got into tons of darker themes and shit that children wouldn't and couldn't even begin to understand or fathom. There are so many story threads in the show with the clones, the republic, mandalorians, the jedi and the sith, bounty hunters, pirates etc. things that the movies never even explored which i have loved, it's just so immense now.. plus.... how awesome was it to see QUINLAN FUCKING VOS!? also Darth Maul is alive! yes you heard right, he survived Episode I! and before anyone goes on with "but he was sliced in half and fell into a huge pit, give me a break!" i ask you this how badly was Anakin sliced and diced and burnt to a crisp before Palpatine went and picked him up to turn him into the Vader that we know from the original trilogy?

One thing to always keep in mind as Sidious says in Episode III to Anakin "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"... of course Darth Maul's survival is ridiculous but so is the darkside, so was the idea of Plagueis being able to influence the midichlorians to create life or to prolong it, i don't know how that would get a free pass but Maul surviving the way he did is suddenly completely out of the question and bashed upon...also it's not the first time a Star Wars character survived a catastrophic fall, Luke Skywalker in Cloud City anyone? and EU-wise Boba Fett manages to escape the Sarlacc pit unscathed.

A theory is that Maul went down some sort of trash chute and landed in a heap of garbage probably similar to what we see our heroes land into in A New Hope, anyways much like there is a planet like Coruscant that is one huge capital city of the galaxy there are also complete junkyard planets and it is believed that his upper half was dumped on one called Lotho Minor (http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/locations/lothominor/).

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makp10UeYa1r3f4mmo1_500.png

For the years from the end of Episode I leading up the end of Episode II the darkside had completely consumed him and he had went mad, absolutely stir crazy as someone in isolation and living for revenge could possibly become, and so much like a magnet attracts metal he unknowingly or on a subconscious level by way of his force powers ended up attracting all these metal garbage pieces to him that the darkside had manifested into the form of an arachnid.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9v0sm0PBA1r3f4mmo1_500.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb6lxmYD7x1r3f4mmo1_500.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mako53YmRO1r3f4mmo1_500.png

Who doesn't love Republic fucking Commandos!?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5hq80OTMt1r3f4mmo1_500.png

The graphics in this show absolutely blow me away, sure it's not as good as say the Old Republic trailers that came out a while ago that Blur had made but the visuals have really got a helluva lot better since the first season. It's one of those shows you really have to stick with to see it's progression and how it keeps getting better and better. The Genndy micro series is but a fucking fart in a wind storm for me these days.

Just saying it now, since his real fate has yet to be really revealed that Darth Maul very much has the potential to survive through the Clone Wars somehow and could end up in Episode VII. It would sure as hell be interesting.

aggroculture
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Not watched Clone Wars. That clunky-looking "super-deformed" character design is beyond off-putting.

thelastdisciple
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
It would definitely be better if it was more like this

http://s3.gamefreaks.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BountyHunterChick-TORtrailer.jpg

It sucks that animation like that is so expensive to do though, but where the character designs can look clunky and wooden the graphics are more than made up for in the environments, ships and lighting. It's worth it and gorgeous to look at.

EDIT: When it comes to the new series... visually speaking how could you not prefer it over Genndy's? i mean granted he has a specific style and that's down to how much you're a fan of him and where you've followed his work along the way but i think I'd pick the new Asajj over the old one... at least she has pupils...there's more detail...and she looks less derpy, I've seen Genndy make more than a few derp faces.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6870/desktopjg.jpg

aggroculture
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
All the screenshots posted on this page (except the Genndy one) look like a cheap videogame, sorry.
But I will probably check out Clone Wars when I have some time, some day whenever that is.

AgentofChaos
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Matthew Vaughn wins director sweepstakes? Far from official, but he should have needed a damn good reason to drop out of Days of Future Past and this seems like it could be it.

http://latino-review.com/2012/11/05/matthew-vaughn-ditch-x-men-days-future-past-star-wars-episode-vii/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=matthew-vaughn-ditch-x-men-days-future-past-star-wars-episode-vii

scorpiusdiamond
11-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm now set on watching Clone Wars too. If it sucks, I'm going to come back and rant.

Sutekh
11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I wasted my life reading the follow-on books! This original story for 7-8-9 renders them uncanonical

Oh wait, it was a waste of time anyway

thelastdisciple
11-06-2012, 04:57 PM
There's been rumored talks of doing a reboot of the EU anyways given how vast it has got now..... pretty much a DC new 52 if you will to bring in new readers/fans that are unsure of where to begin or where to jump in to the fun....so maybe 7, 8, 9 is just the jumpstart needed for that anyways....

I've always looked at certain avenues of Star Wars kinda like campfire stories that get passed around throughout the ages and updated with new interpretations and a person's own twist upon them....it's easier to forgive the contradictions and toes that have been stepped on that way...

I'd say make up your own damn canon though as far as I'm concerned, obviously there'll always be a precedent with anything on-screen as it's the most authentic medium for Star Wars especially anything from GL but there's no reason to feel like all the EU stories are a waste, if they're good stories they're good stories.

Hazekiah
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
The various Expanded Universes of Star Wars had already been retconned and overhauled and dropped completely COUNTLESS times long before the current series of self-contradicting ongoing Star Wars Expanded Universes anyway so whatever. Just enjoy each for what it is and don't bother losing any sleep over it, that's just the way it's been since Day One of the franchise.

henryeatscereal
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
^As the two posts above said: the "Expanded Universe Stories" are very good and we shouldn't feel "ripped off" most of the stories have more adult orientation and themes and its obvious they won't be the basis for the new movies, which obviously will be aimed mostly for kids and teenagers...

oh well... "Dark Empire" will always live in my heart...

WorzelG
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
^^Phew, I'm glad you clarified what the 'EU' acronym meant above. I was thinking it was some bizarre Star Wars / European Union mash-up. (although the antics of the Trade Federation could have fit in quite well with EU bureacracy)

october_midnight
11-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Word is now that Matthew Vaughn actually won't be directing Episode VII (even though it was of course just a rumor):

"It was recently reported that the reason why director Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) dropped out of the "X-Men: First Class" sequel was because he signed on to direct "Star Wars: Episode VII." Not so says Mark Millar, the creator of such comic books as "Kick-Ass" and "Wanted."

According to Millar, Vaughn dropped out in order to speed up the progress on a movie called "Secret Service," based on another Millar comic book. "We thought Matthew was going to do 'X-Men' first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of 'Secret Service' in the works," he explained. "So Matthew and I said, 'We're not letting anyone steal our ideas.'"

While one rumor was shot down, another one has popped up. According to CeleBuzz, director Colin Tervorrow met with George Lucas several months ago about directing "Star Wars: Episode VII." Apparently Lucas loves Trevorrow's "Safety Not Guaranteed." And even though Lucas will not be making the final decision regarding who will direct, there's no doubt that he has a good amount of influence. When reached for a response, Trevorrow said: "No comment."

And finally... TMZ caught up with Carrie Fisher to find out if she would be interested in returning for "Star Wars: Episode VII." The actress replied: "Yes, sure. Wouldn't you?"

Deadpool
11-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Some very interesting, unfiltered thoughts on Episode VII from Damon Lindelof (http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/new-star-wars-will-be-biggest-event-movie-ever-says-lost-co-creator-20121106). I quit on Lost after a few Season 3 episodes, but I like Mr. Lindelof, and I agree with & relate to most everything he's saying.

Hazekiah
11-08-2012, 02:39 AM
According to Millar, Vaughn dropped out in order to speed up the progress on a movie called "Secret Service," based on another Millar comic book. "We thought Matthew was going to do 'X-Men' first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of 'Secret Service' in the works," he explained. "So Matthew and I said, 'We're not letting anyone steal our ideas.'"

Fantastic news! While I certainly enjoyed Vaughn's work on Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class, I didn't really see anything there that would lead me to believe he'd be up to the task of directing a top-notch Star Wars movie. He does good work, it just seemed like a bad fit somehow.

But I can't wait for Secret Service! I've been following it in "Mark Millar's CLiNT" when I can and IT IS AWESOME. Had no idea it was being developed as a movie but I suppose I should've expected it, lol.

scorpiusdiamond
11-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Just an update on Clone Wars... it's bearable, and quite good in places until Episode 8 of the first series. Jar Jar alert.

ambergris
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
This new movie will be a logistic behemoth. They should let James Cameron do it. :-P
Or maybe Peter Jackson. Or Rian Johnson (Looper).

october_midnight
11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Even though he'll just be the 'creative consultant', how involved will Lucas actually be with the script, movie, etc.???

Very. (http://blastr.com/2012/11/george-lucas-reveals-how.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Hazekiah
11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
I've always been a George Lucas fan in addition to being a a Star Wars fan, so I've always wanted it to be THE DEFINITIVE GEORGE LUCAS STAR WARS but as long as they only filter/augment his input to the degree that classics like Irvin Kirshner's spin on his vision did then I'm all for it.

wikkid
11-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Darth Vader to return and have a huge role? Ughh better be a ghost.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=26648&count=0

Piko
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Wtf? It could make sense if it were inbetween the trilogies. A lot of ground to be covered there. Some Starkiller would be awesome. I just can't see this happening after the trilogies.

Broadbent
11-13-2012, 05:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjC1r72hYgQ

wikkid
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Thought about it a little more and the clone factor came to mind. Maybe the Emperor cloned him and that's what they will try and pull off?

henryeatscereal
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Thought about it a little more and the clone factor came to mind. Maybe the Emperor cloned him and that's what they will try and pull off?

Simpsons... I mean... Star Wars comics, did it...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

Lutz
11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
That's why they went to all the trouble replacing Anakin's ghost in ROTJ - so they don't have to recast the role for the new trilogy.

ambergris
11-14-2012, 04:54 AM

Oh yeah, first the Emperor clones Darth Vader and then... Darth Vader clones the Emperor.

Leman Russ
11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
That's why they went to all the trouble replacing Anakin's ghost in ROTJ - so they don't have to recast the role for the new trilogy.

Worst idea of all time. Let's take the worst actor in history, and let him bad act in more Star Wars movies. I'd like to think Disney couldn't be this stupid

wight rabbit
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
The best idea I read about the whole Vader thing is that Luke winds up taking his place. I could believe that more than I could believe Vader rising from his ashes. Fuck that.

aggroculture
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Mark Hamill as Vader would be pretty awesome.
At the risk of repeating myself: I want a film on what Vader does between III and IV.

koz-ivan
11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Mark Hamill as Vader would be pretty awesome.
At the risk of repeating myself: I want a film on what Vader does between III and IV.

1. there was a book "dark lord, the rise of darth vader" that details just that time period.

2. in all honesty it's a horrible idea, it's share the same flaw as episodes 123 - we know how they end already. to me it makes far more sense to launch a new series of star wars films well after the death of the emperor and pick up from there leaving open the opportunities to feature hamill, fisher, ford et al (if so desired) or possibly focusing on introducing an all new primary cast.

re-casting the icons, luke, leia, han has every potential to be a disaster, though that would pale before a re-incarnate darth vader.

darth vader is already perfect, an argument could be made that there have already been 3 too many movies made about him.

Findus
11-15-2012, 12:27 AM
My guess for director is Joe Johnston.

Wretchedest
11-15-2012, 12:57 AM
the force unleashed did a good job of covering the time between trilogies. it's sequel goes a long way towards destroying how awesome it was, though.

And I don't buy this "Darth Vader comes back" rumor. There's no way that fresh out the gate the first thing we learn about the plot is easily the stupidest thing they could possibly do with it.

Fixer808
11-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Joss Whedon or the guy who directed Chopper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDLtDQ55DBs

"Chop Solo":
"Fackin' right I fackin' shot Greedo first. Bloke was tryin'a fackin' put a laser in me head, yeah? You go on an' fackin' write a story 'bout THAT, Georgie!"

october_midnight
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Writers have been named for Episodes VIII and XI, and...it's actually fairly promising.

The force is strong with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. The two screenwriters have been tapped to both write and produce "Star Wars: Episode VIII" and "Episode IX," though it hasn't yet been determined which will tackle which film.

The news hasn't been officially confirmed by Disney yet, but The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the two writers will be involved in the "Star Wars" series going forward. This comes after the news that "Toy Story" scribe Michael Arndt is writing Episode VII which is due out in 2015.

This is something of a homecoming for Kasdan, who is no stranger to the Lucasfilm universe. Kasdan co-wrote "Star Wars: Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back," wrote "Star Wars: Episode VI -- The Return of the Jedi" and is also responsible for giving us the gift that is "Raiders of the Lost Ark." For his part, Kinberg is co-writing "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and wrote a number of other recent movies including "Sherlock Holmes" (the Robert Downey Jr. film).

Fixer808
11-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Confirm it, Disney... CONFIRM IT!!!

Jinsai
11-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Writers have been named for Episodes VIII and XI, and...it's actually fairly promising.

The force is strong with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. The two screenwriters have been tapped to both write and produce "Star Wars: Episode VIII" and "Episode IX," though it hasn't yet been determined which will tackle which film.

The news hasn't been officially confirmed by Disney yet, but The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the two writers will be involved in the "Star Wars" series going forward. This comes after the news that "Toy Story" scribe Michael Arndt is writing Episode VII which is due out in 2015.

This is something of a homecoming for Kasdan, who is no stranger to the Lucasfilm universe. Kasdan co-wrote "Star Wars: Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back," wrote "Star Wars: Episode VI -- The Return of the Jedi" and is also responsible for giving us the gift that is "Raiders of the Lost Ark." For his part, Kinberg is co-writing "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and wrote a number of other recent movies including "Sherlock Holmes" (the Robert Downey Jr. film).

It was all going so great until I got to that part about the new Sherlock Holmes movie.. and then suddenly I got so very very sad inside.

Fixer808
11-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Keep visualizing the attack on Hoth, the asteroid field, melting Nazis, "I... am your father!", speeder bikes... oh shit I'm... gaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Phew, that was good. Let's try for a repeat. Cautious... VERY cautious optimism, people.

Space Suicide
11-26-2012, 10:46 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me3q7zet7f1rz5j2to1_500.jpg

october_midnight
11-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, since Matthew Vaughn dropped out of the new X-Men: Days of Future Passed, rumor was that it was because he had already secretly signed on for, and is too wrapped up with, Episode VII. Now Jason Flemyng (who has worked with Vaughn on 9 movies...you might recognize him from Lock, Stock...LXG...From Hell) apparently spilled the beans.

At 1:07 he gets asked about Matthew's involvement and Jason basically says that Vaughn will call him up and be like '...I know what it looks like on paper, but I'll make it good.' Then the interviewer says 'Uhh...so...you think he's interested?' (Flemyng apparently didn't know that nothing's been officially announced yet) and Flemyng says 'UUUUHHHHH....YEAHHHHH...HE'S....INTERESTED....'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTYiX5A3Bk&feature=player_embedded

Obviously nothing official, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Wretchedest
11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Matthew Vaughn was able to revitalize a series people had completely lost faith in without rebooting it... maybe thats what theyre aiming for here. Its definitely something that would be on my mind if i had picked up star wars.

thelastdisciple
11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
The whole Matthew Vaughn thing is crazy first it was reported that it was somewhat of a done deal and then Mark Millar came out and said nope he's working with me on Kick Ass 2, Secret Service etc.

AND THEN Mark Millar further elaborated and said he actually supports him doing Star Wars 7, and now we have Jason Flemyng......

HMMM.

Findus
12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
If they're bringing back cast members from the OT, I hope John Ratzenberger is given a role. We haven't seen Bren Derlin since Echo Base.

henryeatscereal
12-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Maybe not news to anyone but George Lucas finally admits: "he doesnt really have much to do with the new Star Wars..."

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/04/george-lucas-doesnt-really-have-much-to-do-with-new-star-wars/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

scorpiusdiamond
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Clone Wars update. I'm mid-way through Season 3. It's very diverse and I'm amazed it's gone on as long as it has. If you can understand and tolerate the fact it's aimed at kids (hell, the films are...) then it's quite rad.

Piko
12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Clone Wars update. I'm mid-way through Season 3. It's very diverse and I'm amazed it's gone on as long as it has. If you can understand and tolerate the fact it's aimed at kids (hell, the films are...) then it's quite rad.

Kinda curious about that one. Heard its kinda inconsistent though, story-wise.

scorpiusdiamond
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Kinda curious about that one. Heard its kinda inconsistent though, story-wise.

It jumps around the timeline quite a bit, and yeah some of the episodes aren't as good as others.

october_midnight
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Apparently....APPARENTLY....it's a done deal.

Update: Now confirmed by multiple sources.

Episode VII to be directed by JJ Abrams. (http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2013/01/24/star-trek-director-jj-abrams-reportedly-hired-to-helm-star-wars-episode-vii)

littlemonkey613
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
That's pretty much guaranteed quality. He won't direct a bad script.

Alexandros
01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Kewl. Lots of potential for lens flare in Star Wars!

butter_hole
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
additional heaps funny lens flare joke because i am the height of comedy

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I generally like J.J. Abrams and I think this is terrible news.

That's pretty much guaranteed quality. He won't direct a bad script.
Except Star Trek and Super 8. (I haven't seen Mission: Impossible III.)

BrokenSpiral
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Lensflare sabers!

sentient02970
01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/starwarslensflarelogo.jpg

(http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/starwarslensflarelogo.jpg)

Deadpool
01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
This is hugely exciting for me - JJ is probably my ideal director for the next Star Wars flick. The idea of Matthew Vaughn doing the next one was ridiculously exciting, and I'm an even bigger Abrams fan.

If anyone else here hasn't seen Mission: Impossible III, it is worth watching for the opening (pre-titles) scene alone. Some of my favorite work from Tom Cruise in there, too.

Conan The Barbarian
01-25-2013, 12:53 AM
I generally like J.J. Abrams and I think this is terrible news.

Except Star Trek and Super 8. (I haven't seen Mission: Impossible III.)

You know, I didn't enjoy his work besides those two flicks. I guess I am just not a fan like the majority. I just hope the story is good.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2013, 01:33 AM
As long as Abrams keeps any major concept of time or time travel and alternate dimensional crap away from Star Wars i think we're going to be good. It's the one cliche I am happy that Star Wars has managed to avoid at least on behalf of the films and a lot of EU lore if we ignore that flow walking nonsense. If i really want time travel I'll go to Doctor Who or Star Trek, that's ultimately their thing and they do it well but keep it away from the Wars.

dpeters
01-25-2013, 04:33 AM
To all the lens flare jokers:
Episodes 1-3 had tons of it too. Not the best films but I doubt Abrams will making both films look so similar.

ambergris
01-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Hmpf, J.J. Abrams, again.... I really liked Lost and Fringe, I enjoyed his Star Trek, but they all end up missing something. Now, Abrams usually lets other directors and writers continue his series' but I get constantly annoyed at, well, scientific inconsistencies. Like, how can you use a black hole to travel through time if it swallows a whole planet? Shouldn't it swallow you, too? And the ending of Lost, and the erratic Fringe.... I don't know... I liked Cloverfield, but the marketing was probably the best part of the movie - once again it didn't fulfill (extreme) expectations. I didn't watch Super 8 but I heard it's Spielberg-esque in its heartful nostalgia. This is the only example I can think of that makes him look capable of directing Star Wars. And seriously, how can give each of his projects an adequate amount of time?

Sutekh
01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
I can't remember exactly what happens in the film, but theoretically the energy the pull of a black hole exerts might achieve the level of power you need to enlarge a wormhole to the point where you can pass through it (also in Doctor Who, all Tardises are powered by a trapped black hole, I have no life)

but yeah, if your craft is capable of generating propulsion stronger the pull of a black hole, why fuck about with black holes in the first place - just use your craft to dilate a wormhole. It is a bit iffy

Maximilian
01-25-2013, 08:23 AM
This guy is the friggin' alpha nerd.

Wretchedest
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I cant say that i had hopes in any particular directir.... except, you know, nobody... but abrans feels like an odd choice.

First of all having Star Trek and Star Wars directed by the same person is stupid. These franchises should be creating separate identities.

And abrams has a history of building hype and failing to deliver. He's like the king of no pay off.

That said i actually liked his star trek...which was my first star trek thing...

Jinsai
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
as long as he isn't writing it, maybe we'll avoid a diversion into a time travel subplot that makes absolutely no sense.

marodi
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
First of all having Star Trek and Star Wars directed by the same person is stupid. These franchises should be creating separate identities.

Agreed 100%

That said i actually liked his star trek...which was my first star trek thing...

Shame on you!

That being said, I did enjoy Super 8 a lot but my taste in movies is often unconventional.

I cannot be partial as far as Star Wars is concerned because nothing ever will compare with seeing Episode IV in theater when it first came out in 1977. That was a once in a lifetime experience.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFH9mqGc7c

BrokenSpiral
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
You know, I wonder how Kevin smith would have done. I'd like to see his starwars

henryeatscereal
01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
JJ Abrams Star Wars....

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7897/26932710151399315085490.jpg

Presideo
01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
The majority of Star Wars fans will be disappointed by a new film, no matter who directs it or how good it actually ends up being. The nostalgia goggles are always worn too tight when it comes to this franchise.

Radiovoyr
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
I dunno, I have fond memories of the first 3, but the newest ones have set the bar pretty fucking low. Also, I really like JJ, so I am actually looking forward to this now.

wizfan
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
You know, I wonder how Kevin smith would have done. I'd like to see his starwars

He'd have to study all the drugs in the Expanded Universe. Imagine a gang of Jedi potheads.

Lutz
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
The majority of Star Wars fans will be disappointed by a new film, no matter who directs it or how good it actually ends up being. The nostalgia goggles are always worn too tight when it comes to this franchise.

I think the nostalgia goggles are the only reason why people will go back again.

The prequels are extremely low grade sci fi by any standard.

Even when you get right down to the OT the main objection there is that the parts of the movie they replaced are significantly subpar to what was originally there.

This is even more appallingly the case with THX 1138 where they took the extremely elegant, physical, minimal effects and replaced them with something that was not as well thought out or achieved. They completely ruined that movie.

Fixer808
01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Ugh, yeah. I got a copy of THX: Director's Cut for my birthday one year and when I watched it I almost stopped talking to my sister forever for giving it to me.

thelastdisciple
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
If you ever thought about giving the Clone Wars TV series a chance this is a good sort of blue print on what to really watch that might be of interest if you want to avoid all the Jar Jar fluff and nonsense.

"I'm here to talk to you about The Clone Wars.People are going to tell you that The Clone Wars is a bad television series. Don't listen to them.
Also, somebody is likely to make a pedantic post about Clone Wars vs. The Clone Wars. One is a microseries from 2002, and it's great. The other is the current-running animated television series, and it is also great.

If you're interested in seeing the series please read on. If not, please ignore me.

Of the currently running series, there are some episodes that are entirely skippable - including, I am sad to say, the three that feature a young Admirable Ackbar. They represent the worst writing in the series to this date. Of the five people I know who have seen these episodes, all five thought them bad. Anecdotal evidence at best, but there you go.

There are two ways to tackle The Clone Wars. One is to plow through and watch it all. Unfortunetly, this means taking the good with the bad. You may note I said the series was great - and it is - but I'll be the first to admit that it took a while to find its feet. There is a lot to like in the first season, but there are a few mis-steps. So, with that in mind, the second way to tackle The Clone Wars is listen to my advice on what's good and what's bad.

Start by watching the film. Critics hated it. The audience (apparently) did too. However, this film is entirely a 1930's pulp action adventure set in the star wars universe. It is light hearted, simple minded, has some great action, and (dare I say) some of the notoriously bad Star Wars humour doesn't fall quite as flat as it did in the live-action films. It gives important character context and sets up the series (which is entirely what it was meant to do). Personally, I took it for what it was - four or five episodes of a cartoon edited into a feature length adventure - and came out enjoying it.

After that, if you're interested in seeing just the best of what the series has to offer, watch these episodes:

Season 1: Rookies, and the Ryloth arc (Storm Over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth, Liberty on Ryloth)

Season 2: The Deserter

Season 3: Clone Cadettes, ARC Troopers, The Nightsister Triology (Nightsisters, Monster, Witches of the Mist), The Mortis Trilogy (Overlords, Alter of Mortis, Ghosts of Mortis), Padawan Lost, and Wookie Hunt

Season 4: The Umbara Episodes (Darkness on Umbara, The General, Plan of Dissent, Carnage of Krell), the Return of Dath Maul episodes (Massacre, Bounty, Brothers, Revenge)

Season 5: The first 10 episodes.

Episodes that are not worth watching:

Season One: Downfall of a Droid, Duel of the Droids

Season Four: Water War, Gungan Attack, Prisoners

Everything else is worth a watch, even if it isn't necessarily great. In some cases episodes didn't make the "must see" list because the first episode in an arc is weak, but the second is brilliant (e.g., Blue Shadow Virus and Mystery of the Thousand Moons, or the Malevolence Arc) ... some of my favourite episodes are the whacky one-offs, but I am more than willing to admit that these are not to everybody's taste (Lightsaber Lost, Hunt for Ziro, and Shadow Warrior being prime examples).

Despite a franchise-wide burning hatred of all things Jar-Jar Binks, he does make apperances in this series. It leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of fans, but I honestly believe that most of the episodes with Jar-Jar should be given a fair shake - first of all, they usually make him a central (and occasionally very effective) part of the plot, and secondly, they do a lot to recoup the character - still vastly annoying, yes, but I can't help but appreciate his effort and, yes, even his heart. The one thing they've really done for Jar-Jar is make him a characters that strives his very best, despite his disadvantages, to do what he believes is right and good in the face of adversity. You still have to listen to him talk, but he becomes sympathetic, perhaps even likable. He's a much better character in that respect than he ever was as "comic" relief in Epsiode I, an unwitting pawn of the sith in Epsiode II, or basically non-existant in Episode III. Please, judge for yourself (preferably based on epsidoes he's in from Season 2 onward), but that's my view.

The final thing I should say is this: keep in mind the target audience of The Clone Wars. Its billeted as a sort of PG-13 saturday morning cartoon. Occassionaly goofy and child-friendly, occasionally dealing with some pretty heady issues (albeit usually in a somewhat toned down manner). The most important thing you can bring to the table if you decide to give this cartoon a chance is your inner child. Let yourself be swept away by the adventure and the spectacle and I garuntee you'll enjoy it."

WorzelG
02-03-2013, 04:01 AM
^^^
I've seen a few of these with my sons and I remember thinking at the time that they had such better scripts than the prequels did

dpeters
02-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I cant say that i had hopes in any particular directir.... except, you know, nobody... but abrans feels like an odd choice.

And abrams has a history of building hype and failing to deliver. He's like the king of no pay off.

Star Trek and Star Wars have always been linked.

ILM left an indelible mark on both franchises.

Findus
02-04-2013, 03:37 AM
I think it's funny that the headquarters of ILM and Lucas Arts are located in the Presidio, which is the site of the future Council of the United Federation of Planets. On a related note, The Walt Disney Family Museum is also located in the Presidio, and if you happen to visit San Francisco, try to fit a visit of the museum into your plans..... it's quite a nice and impressive museum.

NotoriousTIMP
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM
So these fan made posters are making the rounds and I thought I would share them with you all :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/starwarsep_zpsbe5165ab.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/312340_559975877360084_447252526_n_zpsabd61c95.jpe g

Fixer808
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
So these fan made posters are making the rounds and I thought I would share them with you all :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/312340_559975877360084_447252526_n_zpsabd61c95.jpe g
http://www.saltmanz.com/pictures/albums/Cover Scans/Book Covers/Jedi Search.jpg
Oh if only...

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
We'll all be better off if movies going forward just completely ignore the existence of all extended universe material.

Wretchedest
02-05-2013, 08:42 PM
There are lots of cool star wars books. And since they announced some spinoffs today, I have some reserved hopes for a (animated) shadows of the empire movie. Shadows was always the best.

october_midnight
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Han Solo returning? Check.

But who's gonna play him?

Harrison Ford, of course. (http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/offically-board-harrison-ford-to-1711961)

Maximilian
02-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Great news that he's the first, being as I had assumed he would be the hold-out. Thanks for posting that.

october_midnight
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
I can only imagine what he's gonna get paid....

Ruined
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
I can only imagine what he's gonna get paid....
At least 20,000 Alliance Credits.

october_midnight
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Well, I suppose I jumped in to that one head first hahaha...but let's be honest...he's 70.

Wonder how fast he'll get the Millennium Falcon through the Kessel Run with the blinker on.

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Annnnnd now Mark Hamill is 'in talks' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mark-hamill-new-star-wars-422643)...

BRING BACK OLD LANDO. Complete with pimp cane.

Fixer808
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
BRING BACK OLD LANDO. Complete with pimp cane. http://lazytechguys.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/colt45web.jpeg

Findus
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
http://youtu.be/7mWYYnW8AhY

thevoid99
02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
http://youtu.be/7mWYYnW8AhY

Oh man... that is hilarious. All it needs is Vincent Cassel or Gerard Depardieu as Han Solo and everything's a go.

october_midnight
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
BRING BACK OLD LANDO. Complete with pimp cane.

Yeah I quoted myself. What.

Episode VII may have just got a whole lot sexier. (http://www.cinelinx.com/movie-news/item/3668-billy-dee-williams-says-hes-been-asked-to-bring-lando-back-to-episode-vii.html)

Conan The Barbarian
03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I do not know how I feel about this. They might as well call this "Star Wars VII: The Expendables"

fillow
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I do not know how I feel about this. They might as well call this "Star Wars VII: The Expendables"
Funny you should mention that (http://digitaljournal.com/article/295607)

Wretchedest
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Have any of you read the Tales of Bounty Hunters book? They would make a great expendables cast...

Conan The Barbarian
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Negative, I have read none of the books.

october_midnight
04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Disney confirms that Star Wars movies will come out every year. (http://kotaku.com/disney-plans-to-release-a-star-wars-film-every-year-beg-475079516?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Spinoff movies will be in the years between Episode VII, VII, and IX...but still, every year.

Deadpool
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
^ Holy hell. My inner-child is kinda freaking out. I'm a tad worried there will be some Star Wars fatigue as a result of so many movies in a relatively short amount of time, but overall I'm honestly pretty excited by that plan. I just hope Disney and/or Kathleen Kennedy are able to maintain the quality of people behind the movies (i.e., Abrams, Arndt, etc.)

Broadbent
04-17-2013, 04:49 PM
^ Holy hell. My inner-child is kinda freaking out. I'm a tad worried there will be some Star Wars fatigue as a result of so many movies in a relatively short amount of time, but overall I'm honestly pretty excited by that plan. I just hope Disney and/or Kathleen Kennedy are able to maintain the quality of people behind the movies (i.e., Abrams, Arndt, etc.)

I thought about the fatigue thing too, but to be an honest one a year isn't THAT many. I'm comparing it to how they released all of the avenger prequels. Avengers was out may last year and I'm already dying to see Iron man 3.

Vertigo
04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
It's WAY too many.

Regarding Avengers, personally I'm now sick to death of superhero movies (particularly Marvel ones) and intend never to pay money for one again; just making an exception for Man Of Steel, as Superman's a big deal for me.
Besides, despite the Avengers sharing the same universe, different superheroes are essentially different IPs, different worlds. Despite being a fairly rich universe, it's a different scenario for Star Wars. The prequels' schedule allowed a critical mass of hype to build up for each film, which to me seems the way it should be done. These are event films.
In my opinion, if they need to do spin-offs, they should be in another medium.

Deadpool
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Despite being a fairly rich universe, it's a different scenario for Star Wars. The prequels' schedule allowed a critical mass of hype to build up for each film, which to me seems the way it should be done. These are event films.

Yeah, these are definitely event films - or should be. There was always a tangible excitement for each prequel that the 3 years in between helped create. The "once-a-year" plan could dull the fun of a new Star Wars movie, which I hope doesn't happen, but you make a good point that it could.

On the other hand, I could see the "spin-offs" (which have no obligation to occur in the same chronology as VII - IX) being exciting movies in their own right that aren't so epic that they undermine the main trilogy. When I imagine myself seeing the trailer for Episode VIII, I still see myself getting pretty psyched because it's a direct sequel, and is continuing a story that's been established. Does that make sense? I guess we won't know until 2015 kicks things off...

Findus
04-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Patton Oswalt's filibuster for a Star Wars / Marvel crossover film:
http://www.ifc.com/fix/2013/04/patton-oswalt-star-wars-marvel

And of course, the poster:
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/04/18/PATTON-OSWALT-STAR-WARS.jpg

Hazekiah
04-19-2013, 04:37 AM
I'm sure the Clash of the Titans inclusion will make more sense once I get to read his whole pitch, lol.

Conan The Barbarian
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
66 pics of behind the scenes of what I think is the best Star Wars film.

http://imgur.com/a/HGtG0

SM Rollinger
04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
66 pics of behind the scenes of what I think is the best Star Wars film.

http://imgur.com/a/HGtG0

http://i.imgur.com/Ut8Uh0J.jpg

Wampa beat down!!! Empire is and alwasy will be the best.

I used to be a huge starwars fan growing up. Some of my favorite video games of all time are the "Super" series on the SNES, and Shadows of the Empire. Wich is also one of my favorite novels of all time, along with the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Tales of the Bounty Hunters (IG88s story, Therefore I Am, is one of the best Star Wars pieces, period) and the original Thrawn books. Good stuff that I bet Disney is going to ignore because 99.5% of the mainstream has no clue. :(

I also agree with the post a couple back, worrying about franchise fatigue with new star wars movies everyear. And you better believe Disney is going to milk this cash cow sooooo hard. I think im going to just save myself the frustration and not watch any of these new films. Their not going to come close to the original trilogy (nevermind the prequels) in terms of quality, i can already see it.

(its like Halo 4, i was so let down by it I wished i had never played it. as far as im concerned, the cheif is still floating in space in cryofreeze)

october_midnight
08-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Conan O'Brien offers Harrison Ford $1000 to spill one secret about Episode VII. (http://laughingsquid.com/conan-obrien-bribes-harrison-ford-with-1000-for-star-wars-episode-vii-spoilers/?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffera6dce&utm_medium=twitter)

october_midnight
08-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Rachel Hurd-Wood and Alex Pettyfer apparently reading for roles. (http://latino-review.com/2013/08/exclusive-disney-calls-stripper-and-wendy-darling-forstar-wars-episode-vii/)

thevoid99
08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Rachel Hurd-Wood and Alex Pettyfer apparently reading for roles. (http://latino-review.com/2013/08/exclusive-disney-calls-stripper-and-wendy-darling-forstar-wars-episode-vii/)

Eh... I don't know. Alex Pettyfer was alright in Magic Mike but everything else I've seen him sucked and he's not very good.

orestes
09-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Working title: A New Dawn? (http://talkbacker.com/movies/exclusive-do-we-know-a-potential-title-for-star-wars-episode-7/id=698)

OSLIN
09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Working title: A New Dawn? (http://talkbacker.com/movies/exclusive-do-we-know-a-potential-title-for-star-wars-episode-7/id=698)

If that's true, then the title is uninspiring.

henryeatscereal
09-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Even "Dawn of the Jedis" would be more inspired...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lZqBqeHFvTw/TgqQ1tdv2dI/AAAAAAAAA80/rqxqabhkfYk/s320/DOTD.jpg

halo33
09-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Meh. Better than The Phantom Menace.

Titles aside, I have some hope that this could be good. People say what they might about JJ Abrams, but he turned Star Trek into Star Wars, (much to trekkies chagrin) already said he is shooting this on film, and that the production will rely heavily on actual locations and traditional props and makeup.

Those facts alone have rekindled the slightest interest in this franchise.

Vertigo
09-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Hmm. I guess they're saving Star Wars: Internal Cumshot Camera for Episode VIII.

koz-ivan
09-09-2013, 05:39 AM

If that's true, then the title is uninspiring.

it is just a "working title" at this point, so who knows if that is really going to be the title, that being said i like it.

"a new dawn" is a clear shout out to "a new hope" thematically it is a good link to the concept that this movie would be about the next generation.

OSLIN
09-09-2013, 06:34 AM
it is just a "working title" at this point, so who knows if that is really going to be the title, that being said i like it.

"a new dawn" is a clear shout out to "a new hope" thematically it is a good link to the concept that this movie would be about the next generation.

I'm not saying it's a bad title, just kind of a rehash. I get the connection, just not liking the sound of it. In the end it probably isn't even the title.

october_midnight
11-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Old news, but release date pushed back to December 18th, 2015.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/headlines/temp/temp4621.jpg

GulDukat
11-15-2013, 02:40 AM
The new James Bond will be released a month before, so it looks like those should be the two huge block-busters for 2015.

I'm going to see the new Star Wars for sure, but am honestly not that excited. Those prequels really kind of drained any enthusiasm I may have had for Star Wars. TPM and AOTC were just bad films, period. ROTS was a huge improvement, but still wasn't exactly a masterpiece. Glad that Lucas won't be directing the new one, he may be the creator of the SW universe, but he's a shit film maker. The one good SW film that he did direct was ANH, and that was 35 year ago.

http://www.who-sucks.com/people/9-reasons-why-george-lucas-sucks

Vertigo
11-15-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm going to see the new Star Wars for sure, but am honestly not that excited. Those prequels really kind of drained any enthusiasm I may have had for Star Wars. TPM and AOTC were just bad films, period. ROTS was a huge improvement, but still wasn't exactly a masterpiece. Glad that Lucas won't be directing the new one, he may be the creator of the SW universe, but he's a shit film maker. The one good SW film that he did direct was ANH, and that was 35 year ago.

Generally I find the prequels more enjoyable (aside from Phantom Menace, I guess). Better action, better pacing, more intrigue, richer universe, more lightsabers, more McDiarmid, and closing with a spectacular film full of memorable setpieces, gorgeous imagery, dark plotting and a number of massive gut punches (though, admittedly, featuring "Nooooooo").

The original trilogy felt creaky, boring and childish to me in 1994 when I first watched them. I've never understood why they're so idolised. I'd put it down to them being so groundbreaking at the time, but a lot of the fanbase wasn't even old enough to see Return Of The Jedi in cinemas.

WorzelG
11-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Generally I find the prequels more enjoyable (aside from Phantom Menace, I guess). Better action, better pacing, more intrigue, richer universe, more lightsabers, more McDiarmid, and closing with a spectacular film full of memorable setpieces, gorgeous imagery, dark plotting and a number of massive gut punches (though, admittedly, featuring "Nooooooo").

The original trilogy felt creaky, boring and childish to me in 1994 when I first watched them. I've never understood why they're so idolised. I'd put it down to them being so groundbreaking at the time, but a lot of the fanbase wasn't even old enough to see Return Of The Jedi in cinemas.

As Darth Vader would say 'noooooooo'! This is just so wrong, a few reasons why I prefer the originals to the prequels

1. Plot - the originals had a very simple story, good versus evil, which worked well for George Lucas as the plot for prequels was way convoluted load of old tosh. Were you never bored of all that Trade Federation crap?
2. Effects. Call me old, but I preferred the old meticulous ways of special effects. The way they did the space scenes was so much better than the CGI obsessed new ones. I don't think the Jedi space battle can be beat. (I watched a making of programme and they put thousands of little holes in the models to get the lighting just right, cgi is fine for computer games but I wish filmmakers would put more artistry into their films)
3. Acting. Natalie Portman is by all accounts a good actress, I thought she was great in Leon although I'm no film buff, but I didn't care about Queen Amidala once in all three films, or anyone really, but I did in the originals. Maybe it's down to..
4. Script. How can anyone have the money Lucas has at his disposal and not get a better script? The scenes between Anakin and Amidala were painful to watch.
5. Just one complaint about how they went from being basically set piece special effects films for kids and then Suddenly - you have Obi-Wan cutting the legs off Anakin and leaving him to burn alive - just out of character, a Jedi would have finished him off out of sympathy surely? That was just suddenly horrifying whereas on the other hand Palpatine is doing a pantomime turn with Yoda - just bizarre

That's not to say they were wholly bad, I did really enjoy the lightsabre battles, they were beautifully done and I loved Darth Maul

Oh and another thing, the Jedi council were unbelievably shit, I suppose this was the point though. One bad call after another

GulDukat
11-15-2013, 07:03 AM

I respect your opinion and am glad that enjoyed the prequels, but the first two were just really bad, IMO. I've seen TPM and AOTC a few times and I couldn't tell you what they're about. There's a lot of fighting, light-saber battles, space-ship battles,etc. and not much else. The thin plots about trading, alliances, or whatever, are just used as contrived plot devices to enable a lot of action. There's little or no substance. Hayden Christensen, Jack Lloyd and Natalie Portman may be good actors, but they were awful in these movies. Their acting was wooden and lifeless. Portman and Lloyd were just creepy as a future couple, as she was so much older than he was (even though nothing happened) and Portman and Christensen had ZERO chemistry--it was so forced. The worst part were those love scenes. Those scenes from AOTC were they are frolicking and "falling in love" were embarrassing. Case in point:

Anakin Skywalker: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you... I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me.
Padmé Amidala: I can't... We can't... It's not possible.
Skywalker: Anything is possible, Padmé. Listen to me...
Amidala: No, you listen! We live in a real world; come back to it. You're studying to become a Jedi, I'm... I'm a senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, they will take us to a place we cannot go, regardless of the way we feel about each other.
Skywalker: Then you do feel something!
Amidala: I will not let you give up your future for me.
Skywalker: You're asking me to be rational. That is something that I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish that I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't.
Amidala: I will not give into this.
Skywalker: Well, you know, it... it wouldn't have to be that way. We could keep it a secret.
Amidala: We'd be living a lie, one that we couldn't keep, even if we wanted to. I couldn't do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?
Skywalker: No. You're right. It would destroy us all.

What the fuck is that? That's hack writing at its worst. That shit would get rejected from Days of Our Lives. How could George Lucas possibly think that was good? Imagine if an undergrad in film school was asked to create dialogue and handed that in--they'd get a C if they were lucky. Think of all the great lines from TOT, there are literally dozens of lines that a generation of fans can quote--and compare that with the prequels. There isn't anything memorable that anyone will ever quote to reference these films.

Another sad thing about these films is the talent that was wasted. You would think that films with Liam Neeson, Ian Mcgregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel Jackson, Ian McDiarmid and the GREAT Christopher Lee would be good--but even the best actors can't save these films. Revenge of the Sith was pretty good, but still suffered from some of the same problems of the first two--namely bad dialog and stiff acting. As for Yoda--I love him, but his constant rearranging sentences in order to somehow sound profound gets really, really irritating.

I agree with you that TOT is overrated. They are good, well-written action sci-fi films, with great dialog and memorable scenes, but they aren't masterpieces.

thelastdisciple
11-15-2013, 07:48 AM
The prequels for me will always be a love/hate thing.

Yes they pale in comparison to the originals.

Yes there is some pretty bad dialogue... "I hate sand, it gets everywhere" *puke*

Yes there is Jar Jar Binks....

Although for all the faults in those films, i still love the characters and the lore.... i mean what i got from those movies totally makes sense in hooking up with the OT.

The PT had to be shiny and new for the era in the Star Wars timeline it represented, moving in to the OT there was a dictatorship by way of the Emperor and the Imperials made everyday life for people a living hell.. it was depressing, so you have these older looking movies but it totally works because with that era it had to be dirty, it had to be full of desperate people looking for "hope" in an oppressive and rundown universe. You had these Rebels, pockets of resistance against the Empire scrounging together just to survive, they didn't have state of the art tech and had to make due with what they had... look at the Millenium Falcon as Luke put it bluntly "what a hunk of junk", the damn ship was always breaking down and in need of repairs but that was just a reflection on the state of life in that time. Then you had the remaining Jedi that were left who had to resort to living off the grid and becoming frickin' hobos.

You'll also notice the prejudice toward droids after they were so prominent during the Clone Wars, it's very similar to how folks in today's world started treating anyone from the Middle East after 9/11........i don't care if you're an innocent protocol droid you're guilty by association.

Politics have also always been prominent in ALL of the movies, maybe more so in the prequels but it had to be to showcase Palpatine's rise to power.

This is a pretty good article that was posted to StarWars.com a while back that even talks about this very thing.

There are plenty of "smart' things to take away from the prequels aside from shit dialogue and silliness.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/11/06/corruption-exploitation-and-decay-the-politics-of-star-wars/

botley
11-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Political intrigue and 21st Century-applicable space parables appeal more to my cerebral side, but Disney generally don't bankroll cerebral movies. It's probably back to good/bad space opera, just like the ones that JJ did for Star Trek.

GulDukat
11-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Confused Matthew's reviews are pretty good and hilarious.
http://www.confusedmatthew.com/star-wars-prequels.html

botley
11-15-2013, 10:23 AM
ENOUGH, ALREADY... the prequel episodes are, I maintain, simply not relevant to this topic. I don't remember people talking this much about the Lord of the Rings films in ETS' thread about The Hobbit movies... and those were all made by the same director, within only a few years' gap, produced by the same company, etc.

Which reminds me: I have very mixed feelings about a Star Wars movie that will not have the iconic 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning. To me, it served to strengthen the connection Lucas made between his films and the classic era of adventure serials. Simultaneously, the series has long outgrown any association with any one studio and it's important to move it into a new cultural space. So much fertile ground for debate and discussion here beyond re-hashing prequel criticism.

Senateguard33
11-15-2013, 11:09 AM
The prequels for me will always be a love/hate thing.

Yes they pale in comparison to the originals.

Yes there is some pretty bad dialogue... "I hate sand, it gets everywhere" *puke*

Yes there is Jar Jar Binks....

Although for all the faults in those films, i still love the characters and the lore.... i mean what i got from those movies totally makes sense in hooking up with the OT.

The PT had to be shiny and new for the era in the Star Wars timeline it represented, moving in to the OT there was a dictatorship by way of the Emperor and the Imperials made everyday life for people a living hell.. it was depressing, so you have these older looking movies but it totally works because with that era it had to be dirty, it had to be full of desperate people looking for "hope" in an oppressive and rundown universe. You had these Rebels, pockets of resistance against the Empire scrounging together just to survive, they didn't have state of the art tech and had to make due with what they had... look at the Millenium Falcon as Luke put it bluntly "what a hunk of junk", the damn ship was always breaking down and in need of repairs but that was just a reflection on the state of life in that time. Then you had the remaining Jedi that were left who had to resort to living off the grid and becoming frickin' hobos.

You'll also notice the prejudice toward droids after they were so prominent during the Clone Wars, it's very similar to how folks in today's world started treating anyone from the Middle East after 9/11........i don't care if you're an innocent protocol droid you're guilty by association.

Politics have also always been prominent in ALL of the movies, maybe more so in the prequels but it had to be to showcase Palpatine's rise to power.

This is a pretty good article that was posted to StarWars.com a while back that even talks about this very thing.

There are plenty of "smart' things to take away from the prequels aside from shit dialogue and silliness.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/11/06/corruption-exploitation-and-decay-the-politics-of-star-wars/

This is my thoughts exactly. Good call on the Droid topic, I have never thought of that before and it makes perfect sense. Personally I like the prequels, but it isn't Original Trilogy vs Prequel Trilogy for me. It's III-IV-V vs. I-II-VI. I'm sorry, but I like Revenge of the Sith a hell of lot better than Return of the Jedi. While the scenes with Jabba the Hutt and Palpatine were fantastic, the rest feels either rushed or re-hashed. Then you have burp jokes and Ewoks, which only is SLIGHTLY better than the poop jokes and Gungans in The Phantom Menace. On that note, I think The Phantom Menace is a beautiful looking film and has a fantastic soundtrack, much better than Return of the Jedi in those departments. I saw Return of the Jedi in the theaters and loved it as a kid, it just boggles my mind that everyone gives this movie a pass when it has most of the same problems that the prequels have.

Enough ranting. I'm excited for Episode VII. As long as it's better than Episode II, I'll be happy.

Vertigo
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
As Darth Vader would say 'noooooooo'! This is just so wrong, a few reasons why I prefer the originals to the prequels

1. Plot - the originals had a very simple story, good versus evil, which worked well for George Lucas as the plot for prequels was way convoluted load of old tosh. Were you never bored of all that Trade Federation crap?
The Trade Federation barely appears outside Phantom Menace, a film which even I'm not a fan of. Though I do heartily dig the way it reinvented lightsaber combat as an acrobatic spectacle - the face-off between the Jedi and Darth Maul is the best fight in the series in my opinion.

The other two films aren't what I'd describe as convoluted at all. It's a take on the transition to dictatorship in Rome with Julius Caesar, and Germany with Hitler - viewed through the prism of quasi-mystical science fiction in a vastly deep, rich universe. I think they tell quite a riveting story, in which evil works insidiously and inexorably - whereas a simplistic take on good-versus-evil just doesn't float my boat.

2. Effects. Call me old, but I preferred the old meticulous ways of special effects. The way they did the space scenes was so much better than the CGI obsessed new ones. I don't think the Jedi space battle can be beat. (I watched a making of programme and they put thousands of little holes in the models to get the lighting just right, cgi is fine for computer games but I wish filmmakers would put more artistry into their films)
For the most part I'm more fond of practical effects too. But Star Wars is portraying a shiny and fantastical view of the universe, not a grounded and industrialised one like Alien - I think blanketing everything in greenscreen works rather well for the immersion, rather than encouraging you to pick holes in exactly how X effect was achieved. The practical effects of the original trilogy also bring up one my biggest irritations, that almost every non-human is a fucking muppet. ROTJ, particularly, feels like a cross between a toy advert and a Jim Henson special at various points. Phantom Menace's Jar Jar can certainly be painted with the same brush, but let's leave that film out of this...

Anyway. You bring up a great point about the space effects in ROTJ, and I'd throw Empire in there too (though at this point I can barely remember the 1980 version). They're pretty much perfect. However, when seeing Revenge Of The Sith in the cinema, can you honestly say your jaw wasn't hanging open for the first quarter-hour? I'd never seen anything like it.

3. Acting. Natalie Portman is by all accounts a good actress, I thought she was great in Leon although I'm no film buff, but I didn't care about Queen Amidala once in all three films, or anyone really, but I did in the originals. Maybe it's down to.. [script]
That's the one I hear all the time, and usually as item #1. Which seems an odd criteria by which to discount a Star Wars film; The Godfather they ain't. It's worth mentioning that these films do star Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid, and that they are fantastic. But then, those are seasoned actors who need little direction and can make the most ridiculous dialogue sound like it could get you pregnant by hearing it. While I think George Lucas is a tremendous director of action, and has a great eye for how effects can fit into the piece, I agree that he is hopeless with actors, and should get someone who actually knows how people talk to take a pass at his scripts.

I think the Christensen - Portman dynamic gets more flak than it deserves, because besotted teenagers are always drooling idiots (and usually don't have anything deeper between them than finding each other attractive). But generally speaking, it's just Star Wars, I'm watching it because blam pow 'splosions lightsabers shiny pretty.

Anyway, between that and my first post, that's me pretty much done with the trilogy-off topic. I hope you can forgive me, @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) .

Vertigo
11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Anyway, trying to drag the thread back on course, these debates about the various merits and flaws of the two trilogies have quite a bit of relevancy to Episode VII, as the direction it takes will be a consequence of this divide. Abrams and the production staff may throw their hats into the ring on one side or another (as appeasing fans of the original trilogy will likely bring in a lot of previously disinterested viewers), or try an approach that reconciles the divide.

However they approach it, it'll inevitably be influenced by the schism between the fans.

Deadpool
11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Man, I got so unreasonably excited when I saw the headline of "JJ Abrams releases first Behind The Scenes photo from Star Wars VII" that I had something like a gag reflex. I'll probably collapse when we see an official still of someone in costume on set. I probably won't even see the finished film because the teaser trailer will give me a heart attack.

I can't wait. Arndt was promising as a screenwriter, but Larry Kasdan is even more exciting. Kathleen Kennedy is also pushing this new chapter in a great direction. Even my least favorite Star Wars flick has a place in my heart, so I can't imagine Episode VII accomplishing anything less for me.

EDIT:

I have very mixed feelings about a Star Wars movie that will not have the iconic 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning. To me, it served to strengthen the connection Lucas made between his films and the classic era of adventure serials. Simultaneously, the series has long outgrown any association with any one studio and it's important to move it into a new cultural space.

Wow, I hadn't even realized this. That's gonna be a strange feeling seeing a Star Wars movie w/o the 20th Century Fox music and visuals. Like you said, though, it should help to push the series into an overdue(?) new space.

GoodSoldier333
11-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Look, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but that's neither here nor there.

WHY did they have to push this back to the same exact release date as the Warcraft movie??? Warcraft was first. :( Totally think that no matter how big Warcraft might be, Star Wars would be the primary draw.

Maybe more frustrating the fact that here we have a legitimate shot at maybe changing the potential of future video game adaptations through this massive project (so yes, i do consider this a bigger deal than the movie itself in terms of ramifications).....but ultimately it'll just end up getting overshadowed by an even bigger deal in Star Wars 7.

Meh, meh meh meh. All meh. BUT AS A MOVIE GOER, watching the biggest sci-fi film of the decade AND the biggest fantasy film of the decade in the same day? That's pretty fucking cool.

What do you lot think about all this? If i had to put a lot of money up on the table, i'd say NO WAY will either of the studios risk this. One of them will move their release date.

GulDukat
11-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm guessing that they pushed it back because they didn't want to go head-to-head with the new 007, due in november of 2015.

Findus
11-17-2013, 02:34 AM
I believe it was originally going to be a traditional May release in 2015. Arndt was replaced by Kasdan and Abrams, then Kennedy urged Disney for a one year delay (May 2016 release). Iger refused the extension and perhaps compromised with December.

AgentofChaos
04-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Apologies for bumping this thread with no tangible news, but is anyone else getting as jacked as me for this? My Star Wars hype is approaching maximum levels, and we're still a year and a half away. I've been watching the Clone Wars like nobodies business to feed the hunger. So underrated.

News will start to trickle in any day now. They're shooting in Abu Dhabi apparently. And it's been confirmed that Chewie will be returning too. http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/04/rumor-peter-mayhew-back-as-chewbacca-in.html

Also even succumbed to picking up a few of the new 6' inch black series collection. The Fett and Stormtroopers are bitches to find but they look extremely bad ass. Looking forward to the Jabba release.

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/10/Star-Wars-Black-Series-6-Inch-Wave-3-Stormtrooper.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WlqAgcJktnE/UnHzobfxqqI/AAAAAAAACxk/ZKWrPfulWsQ/s1600/2053-tbs-boba-fett-a.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VjiMKTh_pcQ/UwXBdGkcxKI/AAAAAAAAbZw/W7SLHQniNI8/s1600/TOY_FAIR_2014_HASBRO_STAR_WARS_DISPLAY_6_INCH_BLAC K_SERIES_JABBA_THE_HUTT_03.jpg

WorzelG
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford seen in Lndon where they're finalising the script apparently
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-7-news-imminent/

I'm glad as I was quite upset at the idea Mark Hamill might be snubbed

henryeatscereal
04-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Also even succumbed to picking up a few of the new 6' inch black series collection. The Fett and Stormtroopers are bitches to find but they look extremely bad ass. Looking forward to the Jabba release.

I also collect the "Black Series" acton figures, can't get my hands of that damn Bobba Fett figure... can't wait to get Jabba too!

Conan The Barbarian
04-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Not surprising, but its confirmed that all original actors are returning.

Bring it!

WorzelG
04-29-2014, 12:00 PM
It says on this press release that Lawrence Kasdan did the screenplay? If my memory serves, didn't he have something to do with Empire?
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-vii-cast-announced/

Hazekiah
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1614241_699082563483112_8227240573758949883_o.jpg

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer.

Space Suicide
04-29-2014, 12:13 PM
It begins I see...hmmm.

Here's to hoping for the best.

thevoid99
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Please, don't let it suck. The Force has to be strong for this.

theburningreptile
04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
I have a feeling 2015 is going to feel like 1977 all over again. Or it will be really really bad. But im optimistic in hoping that it is awesome. LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

Shadaloo
04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
I look forward to adding new action figures of the old cast to my collection. :D

sa_nick
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac confirmed? Well I'm in, I guess.

october_midnight
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, might as well get the ball rolling...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/october_midnight/Untitled-2.jpg

dlb
04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Serkis? Great! The others? I don't have a good feeling about the old cast and I don't know any of the other ones which might indeed be a good sign.

I hope Abrams brings some grittyness into this and finds a good mixture.

Maximilian
04-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Huge SW fan since the 80's and I don't think this will let me down as much as Episode 1 did that cursed day in 1999.

Han, Luke and Leia being back is just about the greatest thing ever, I don't care if they're older and fatter. Just take it easy on the lens flare, eh J.J. ?

Conan The Barbarian
04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Well, might as well get the ball rolling...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/october_midnight/Untitled-2.jpg

I love you for this lol

Fixer808
04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1614241_699082563483112_8227240573758949883_o.jpg

Man, to be a fly on THAT wall...

Wretchedest
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
No Billy Dee Williams? Almost no women in the cast? They killed the EU?

This deal is getting worse all the time.

I was cautiously optimistic when Disney took over but that optimism has been slowly eliminated....

Conan The Barbarian
04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
To be fair, Lucas never considered the EU cannon either.

As far as lando goes, he might not have a part in this episode, but could have future EPs.

Deadpool
04-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Hamill is looking svelte!!!

So psyched to have him (and Ford, Fisher) back (officially). Luke's always been my fav principle Star Wars character (how am I alone on this?), and at this point I especially appreciate his presence because Hamill is a gigantic nerd! I love Harrison Ford dearly, but I'm getting a vibe that Hamill's enthusiasm & sense of mischief will shine through more than other returning cast member's. Granted, Ford's stern indifference is what makes him great at times. Having The Big Three back (along with Chewie, 3PO, and R2) is a gigantic win, though... just needed to express my massive boner for Luke Skywalker returning to the screen 30 years later. Unbelievable.

As for the newbies, I'm over the moon about Max Von Sydow -- this seems like a Lucas-esque casting choice, and I mean that as a compliment -- and Oscar Isaac has become one of my favorite actors, so having him in the mix excites the hell out of me. Everyone else is gravy :)

I'll be hibernating 'til the first teaser trailer.

thevoid99
04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
And let's hope the film doesn't open with any discussion about taxation. That was the indication of how bad The Phantom Menace was and it was only about to get worse.

imail724
04-29-2014, 09:51 PM
I like how it looks like everyone is just bullshitting with one another except for Peter Mayhew who is over in the corner like "I gotta get these damn lines down".

Shadaloo
04-30-2014, 12:31 AM
I dunno about the EU. I feel for those who've been following it since Timothy Zahn's stuff, but I consider his works and characters the only real loss. I get the feeling the core concepts that the EU was founded on (Luke passing the Jedi torch, Han and Leia having kids) are still going to be intact, just in a different way. Much of what came after - clones of Palpatine, copypaste superweapons, Chewie getting crushed by a moon....nah. I'm ready to let that stuff go.

I'm optimistic. At any rate I really don't think it can get worse than half of the PT.

thelastdisciple
04-30-2014, 02:19 AM
If anyone can make things sound alright it's Tim Zahn himself.

This is what he had to say re: Existing EU material being rebranded as Legends and if anything shows up in the new films that is inspired by that material from here on out.

"Having now had a few days to process the news from LFL, a few thoughts:

First, since many of you are wondering, I have *not* yet been asked to write any new Star Wars books. But that doesn’t mean I won’t receive such an invitation in the future. If that happens, whether or not I accept will depend on what kind of story I’m asked to write, what input I’d have on the content, what era the story will be set in, etc. I would certainly *like* to return to the GFFA, but at the moment that’s not my decision to make.

Second, as far as I can tell from the announcement, LFL is *not* erasing the EU, but simply making it clear that nothing there is official canon. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it immediately send everything into alternate-universe status. If nothing from the Thrawn Trilogy, say, is used in future movies (and if there’s nothing in the movies that contradicts it), then we can reasonably continue to assume that those events *did* happen. It looks to me like the “Legends” banner is going to be used mainly to distinguish Story-Group-Approved canon books from those that aren’t officially canon but might still exist.

Third, even if something from the Thrawn Trilogy *does* show up in a movie in a different form, we authors are masters of spackle, back-fill, and hand-waving. For example, if Ghent appears in the movies but never mentions Thrawn, I can argue that he simply doesn’t want to talk about that era, or else has completely forgotten about it. (Which for Ghent isn’t really much of a stretch.)

Finally, there’s nothing inherently demeaning in the term “Legends.” Think back (a little farther…a little farther) to Disney’s 1950s “Davy Crockett” TV series, (a show I grew up with) which presented stories and legends about the King of the Wild Frontier. Historians have Crockett’s genuine history, but there’s nothing that says these TV adventures *didn’t* happen, right? So until and unless the legend puts Davy in Tennessee at the same time the real history puts him in Virginia, we can still believe those adventures happened. That’s how I expect it to be with the “real” Star Wars history versus the “legendary” adventures of the EU.

Bottom line: let’s all sit back and relax and see what new adventures are offered to us, both in new books and new movies. It’ll be Star Wars, and that’s what counts."

source: https://www.facebook.com/TimothyZahn/posts/748264421871439

WorzelG
04-30-2014, 02:34 AM
My husband was 7 when his dad took him to see Star Wars and by a weird twist of fate our eldest son will be 7 when his dad takes him to see Star Wars 7. (my son loves the Phantom Menace too)

Fixer808
04-30-2014, 06:29 AM
I like how it looks like everyone is just bullshitting with one another except for Peter Mayhew who is over in the corner like "I gotta get these damn lines down".

And is that a little Rebel Alliance symbol I spy on his sleeve...?

sentient02970
04-30-2014, 06:50 AM
This is great but I'm a bit bummed not seeing Patton Oswalt in the photo,

Hazekiah
04-30-2014, 06:51 AM
^ Well spotted!

Okay! So I'd say it's CLEAR who Han's & Leia's DAUGHTER & SON will be. And (HUGELY UNLIKELY SPOILER MAYBE?) whose illlegitimate son is Leia's & Lando's, but from the credentials ALONE I really, REALLY hope Harry-Potter-slash-Judge-Dredd-Kid is the latest descendant of Luke Skywalker.

I mean, that makes PERFECT fucking sense, right?!?

CALLING IT NOW.

: P

Fixer808
04-30-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm just glad we didn't have a curve-ball thrown at us and see Seth Rogen in that photo.
"Hey Luke, can we still be Jedi if we smoke, like, a LOT of weed? Like, I wanna make a lightsaber out of marijuana and then smoke it HUR HUR HUR."

GulDukat
05-02-2014, 07:32 AM
No Billy Dee Williams? Almost no women in the cast? They killed the EU?

This deal is getting worse all the time.

I was cautiously optimistic when Disney took over but that optimism has been slowly eliminated....

Here's an interesting article about how SW is so male dominated:
http://www.salon.com/2014/04/30/bro_y_wan_kenobi_the_boggling_gender_dynamics_of_s tar_wars/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I know that some fans are upset that the EU is no longer considered "canon," but I can't say that I blame them for doing that. There are hundreds of books in the EU, many of them post-ROTJ, unless you are going to turn them into films, it would be hard to keep them "canon" and write all new movies as well and have everything fit together.

Conan The Barbarian
05-02-2014, 08:15 AM
I want to comment on this whole male domination thing, but I am not female so I cannot really do it as it would be a dick thing to do.

But can't we just fucking enjoy shit without taking it to that level?

Also is the clone wars stuff not cannon? Plenty of female power in that saga.

screwdriver
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I want to comment on this whole male domination thing, but I am not female so I cannot really do it as it would be a dick thing to do.

But can't we just fucking enjoy shit without taking it to that level?

Also is the clone wars stuff not cannon? Plenty of female power in that saga.

http://www.gamedwellers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/star-wars-facepalm.jpg

Conan The Barbarian
05-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Yea I guess