PDA

View Full Version : Coil

Pages : [1] 2 3

Highly Psychological
11-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Cant be many people on here who have not heard OF Coil. With them being one of the biggest influences on Trent, being on Nothing, and with How To Destroy Angels being named after a track by them.
Have been listening to them for years, however its only now im realising how ahead of their time they truly were. Their music keeps getting better to my ears and im able to appreciate their more challenging stuff more now too. I can now see how influential they were, not just on NIN ( the downward spiral in particular) but many other artists in the electronic music world owe them big time, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada have all been vocal about Coil's awesomeness too.
Horse Rotorvator sounds unlike anything else coming out in the mid 1980s. They could create sounds which would freak you out in a way no metal band ever could. Sounds which would bend your head backwards. They could make you feel like you were going into a psychosis listening to them. Its really interesting, try and listen to some of their records in a pitch black room. I bet you will have trouble.
They were fearless in the way they presented their art too. Some of the stunts they were pulling back then with Derek Jarman and with Scatology etc were highly controversial. But yeah RIP Sleazy and mr balance they have a huge back catalogue and listening to their records and getting sucked into that world they create is consuming me loads at the moment!!

darktemplar007
11-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Though I don't listen to them frequently, they are without a doubt one of my favorite bands to ever have existed. I really love the Musick to Play in the Dark series, as well as Love's Secret Domain (and pretty much everything). I really wanted to get the Colour Sound Oblivion box set, but didn't have the money at the time, and I don't think they are still available now that Sleazy is gone.

wizfan
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I love Coil. Scatology, Horse Rotorvator, Time Machines and The New Backwards are just a few of their works which make me gasp in amazement every time I listen to them. Their works are timeless and can never be called "dated", because they can't be compared to anything. I listened to Love's Secret Domain and two Threshold Houseboys Choir albums last Thursday, which was Peter's Memorial Day.

By the way, here is the playlist picked by Chris and Cosey of TG to be played on that day: http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/tg-files/tg-files/sleazyplaylist2011.html I couldn't help but giggle when I saw Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" in there.

eversonpoe
12-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I really wanted to get the Colour Sound Oblivion box set, but didn't have the money at the time, and I don't think they are still available now that Sleazy is gone.

sadly, the open edition (which was not meant to be limited) has run out of stock. it is doubtful that any more will be made. : / it's a pretty fantastic box set, and one of my favourites (i'm a box set fiend...i have the limited edition [but not the patron's edition]).

i listen to them on a weekly basis. i was pretty excited that i had read in an interview that peter was working on some "remixes" for trent...but it's doubtful they'll ever surface now.

xmd 5a
12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Love Throbbing Gristle and all the offshoot projects (Psychic TV, Chris & Cosey and, of course, Coil). Definitely some of the most important artists in modern history.

Sleazy's passing has made Coil's output all the more haunting. RIP.

Senateguard33
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
One of my favorite bands. I only wish I could find Live Four cheaper than 60 bucks :( I too wish I had enough money for the CSO box set.

Jon
12-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Discs 15 and 16 were released under a Creative Commons license (http://www.archive.org/details/CoilColourSoundOblivionDvd1516)

Edit: I guess technically I'm supposed to link the CC license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/uk/) if I post a download link

Leviathant
12-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Every now and then I bug Scanner (Robin Rimbaud) about digging up some DAT he has that may contain a Coil remix of a NIN song that we may or may not have heard. I don't want to be too much of a bother, but I'm holding out the hope that there's some 1995-era Coil out there that's yet to be heard.

wizfan
02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
On a related note, I'm trying to find Danny Hyde's video I found two years ago. I had posted a link to the video in Ye Olde ETS, in the Coil thread. He showed his archives, one of which had the Nothing Records logo on it. Perhaps the box contains the master tapes for Backwards, the legendary Coil album, part of which was recorded at Trent's studio. Possibly there are tapes of NIN remixes by Coil as well. I found his YouTube account https://www.youtube.com/user/dannyboyx2006 (https://www.youtube.com/user/dannyboyx2006?feature=watch) but it seems he deleted that specific video. The New Backwards was remixed by him and Peter, so they definitely had the master works. I want to bug Danny to tell us what's inside that Nothing Records box.

Leviathant
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
On a related note, I'm trying to find Danny Hyde's video I found two years ago. I had posted a link to the video in Ye Olde ETS, in the Coil thread. He showed his archives, one of which had the Nothing Records logo on it. Perhaps the box contains the master tapes for Backwards, the legendary Coil album, part of which was recorded at Trent's studio. Possibly there are tapes of NIN remixes by Coil as well. I found his YouTube account https://www.youtube.com/user/dannyboyx2006 (https://www.youtube.com/user/dannyboyx2006?feature=watch) but it seems he deleted that specific video. The New Backwards was remixed by him and Peter, so they definitely had the master works. I want to bug Danny to tell us what's inside that Nothing Records box.

You should reach out to him. I remember that video - I think he was selling some things on eBay at the time (Like a TR-606, that if I remember correctly, was used for the Coil remix of Closer) Surely if he had some unreleased goodies, we could raise some cash to encourage him to release them.

Carpathian Psychonaut
02-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Managed to get tickets for the following two things that form part of the Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson remembrance evening in March

AV Festival 12: Wishful Thinking: In Remembrance of Peter Christopherson (1955 - 2010)

This special event celebrates the life of Peter ‘Sleazy’ Christopherson.

A founding member of the bands Throbbing Gristle and Coil, a designer at Hipgnosis and a legendary music videomaker, Christopherson was commissioned by AV Festival 12 to compose a new work, but sadly, he passed away in November 2010 before completing the work.

This music, film and performance event includes the premiere of three sketches by Christopherson‘s collaborators for the commission: visual artist Alex Rose, sound recordist Chris Watson and vocalist Attila Csihar.

Special guests Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni Tutti premiere live remixes from Throbbing Gristle’s final studio album, a cover of Nico’s Desertshore, preceded by a rare screening of Philippe Garrel’s The Inner Scar.

The evening comes to a poetic close with a screening of the great Derek Jarman’s The Angelic Conversation, with a soundtrack by Coil.

Atilla Csihar, Chris Carter & Cosey Fanni Tutti (ie half of Throbbing Gristle) and some rare film all in one four hour evening - just too good to believe. Just such a shame this is all because he's not around any more.

.....and, earlier that evening to kick things off:-

AV Festival 12: Musick To Play In The Dark: A Talk By Rob Young

Rob Young is the author of Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain’s Visionary Music, and Editor-at-Large at The Wire magazine. In a talk illustrated with sound, he discusses Peter Christopherson’s unique contribution to music.

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Just back from the evening in my previous post. Very few words in my head to sum it up at this time.

Magick & transformation were seen & heard this evening between Attila & Throbbing Gristle. I can only describe Attila's processed vocals amongst the spatially directed bells as an incantation. At one point a figure appeared at one side of the cinema, draped in dark lace & cloth with lights around them, and walked in procession then turned and vanished slowly away again. In any other setting it would have been silly but with all else hitting eyes & ears it was like witnessing something you shouldn't - a spectre conjured for a time.

The new TG album is going to be amazing based on the live performance/remix - seeing Cosey play her lap-guitar & shiny red cornet was a joy and when she sang - oh my! Seeing Chris & Cosey play, mutate, bend & direct the tracks was spellbinding. The tracks featuring Blixa Bargeld (!) and Antony Hegarty were especially stunning but the Gaspar Noe & Cosey led ones were brilliant too.

wizfan
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
^ Sounds AWESOME.

I am looking at scanned covers for the Threshold Houseboys Choir CD/DVD Form Grows Rampant. On the back cover, there's this quote:

"No DRM, but disc is Chi-Watermarked. Uploading to strangers will adversely affect your karma."

Can't. Stop. Laughing. Oh, the things that will happen to the poor dude who uploaded it, tee-hee.

xmd 5a
03-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Just back from the evening in my previous post. Very few words in my head to sum it up at this time.

Magick & transformation were seen & heard this evening between Attila & Throbbing Gristle. I can only describe Attila's processed vocals amongst the spatially directed bells as an incantation. At one point a figure appeared at one side of the cinema, draped in dark lace & cloth with lights around them, and walked in procession then turned and vanished slowly away again. In any other setting it would have been silly but with all else hitting eyes & ears it was like witnessing something you shouldn't - a spectre conjured for a time.

The new TG album is going to be amazing based on the live performance/remix - seeing Cosey play her lap-guitar & shiny red cornet was a joy and when she sang - oh my! Seeing Chris & Cosey play, mutate, bend & direct the tracks was spellbinding. The tracks featuring Blixa Bargeld (!) and Antony Hegarty were especially stunning but the Gaspar Noe & Cosey led ones were brilliant too.

I'd kill for footage of the above. Hope there's a DVD or something planned.

Also, the new TG album seems to be shaping to be something magical.

frankie teardrop
03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
is it going to be released as a TG record proper? i thought the band was terminated following a little more bad blood and sleazy's death? whatever moniker it's released as (c&c, tg, ct, what have you) i'm pretty stoked that it's going to see the light of day. desertshore is one of my all time favorites, so very interested in their take on it...

fillow
03-18-2012, 02:25 AM
As long as the core of the record was done while Peter was still there, I don't have a problem with it being TG. Much like The Ape of Naples for Coil.

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-18-2012, 05:18 AM
I have to admit that I did have the same thoughts in the back of my mind when going last night - with all the various other projects like Carter Tutti or Carter Tutti Void etc, the splits & the passing Of Sleazy would this stand as a TG album?

It did. It sounded (well, the live version/remix anyhoo) exactly as a TG album AND with a large dose of Peter's sound & style very much intact. After all, it was his idea brought to the band and they had his original sketches and wishes to work too. I think it'll be unmistakeably a Gristle work and perfectly fitting as their "Final Report".

desertshore is one of my all time favorites, so very interested in their take on it...

On that front, alongside Jarman's "The Angelic Conversation" and the very rarely shown "Journey To Avebury", we also got a screening of the 35mm print of Philippe Garrel's "The Inner Scar" too. Fitted the night after the TG performance perfectly.

dosimp
04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm hoping the Thresholdhouse digital download service returns. I lost a chunk of my collection on a crashed computer and was really hoping to be able to re-purchase it through them.

Highly Psychological
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
There are tons of live recordings/videos of Coil which have surfaced on youtube, the best of which in my opinion is the Dublin- October 2004 show, John Balance's last performance only couple of weeks before he died. It is the most terrifying raw live performance of any artist i have ever seen. ..its fucking brutal, like he knows he is about to fall big time, and this is some sort of speech at his pre-funeral gathering. The word intense does not do it justice!! Its not a easy experience to watch that Dublin gig. Unhappy Rabbits has to be the most disturbing song i have ever ever heard. The audience looks traumatized.
Saw them a few months previously in Summer of 2004 in London, similar set.
The bootlegs on youtube for some odd reason do not do justice to how fucking loud it was. Intimidatingly loud. the later sets were much more conventionally 'song' structured which is what i like about these final gigs too.
But after seeing that Dublin show it will be hard for you to find music as intense as that gig for a long time.

eversonpoe
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
There are tons of live recordings/videos of Coil which have surfaced on youtube, the best of which in my opinion is the Dublin- October 2004 show, John Balance's last performance only couple of weeks before he died. It is the most terrifying raw live performance of any artist i have ever seen. ..its fucking brutal, like he knows he is about to fall big time, and this is some sort of speech at his pre-funeral gathering. The word intense does not do it justice!! Its not a easy experience to watch that Dublin gig. Unhappy Rabbits has to be the most disturbing song i have ever ever heard. The audience looks traumatized.
Saw them a few months previously in Summer of 2004 in London, similar set.
The bootlegs on youtube for some odd reason do not do justice to how fucking loud it was. Intimidatingly loud. the later sets were much more conventionally 'song' structured which is what i like about these final gigs too.
But after seeing that Dublin show it will be hard for you to find music as intense as that gig for a long time.

that's part of the Colour Sound Oblivion box set, and it looks/sounds a bit better on the DVD, but not by much. there's detailed info in the box about how each show was filmed and how the audio was recorded. Peter wasn't too happy with how that show sounded, but it was the only source, and obviously an important show to capture.

hobochic
04-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Best post I've read in a while. Attila Csihar, Blixa Bargeld, Antony Hegarty AND Gaspar fucking Noe in a project with TG/Peter? Almost too good to be true... That's like witnessing the formation of all the basic elements in the fucking Big Bang: We're talking fragments of Mayhem/ De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas/Dead's successor and vocal deliverer: Attila, Einstuerzende Neubauten Anthony & the Johnsons and "Enter the Void" "Irreversible" with Throbbing Gristle/Coil. I think Johnn, Peter and Dead might be in a good place right now.

Carpathian Psychonaut
04-02-2012, 05:57 AM
Best post I've read in a while. Attila Csihar, Blixa Bargeld, Antony Hegarty AND Gaspar fucking Noe in a project with TG/Peter? Almost too good to be true... That's like witnessing the formation of all the basic elements in the fucking Big Bang: We're talking fragments of Mayhem/ De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas/Dead's successor and vocal deliverer: Attila, Einstuerzende Neubauten Anthony & the Johnsons and "Enter the Void" "Irreversible" with Throbbing Gristle/Coil. I think Johnn, Peter and Dead might be in a good place right now.

Attila was performing as part of the "Wishful Thinking" trilogy of unfinished tracks, rather than on the TG album - the other vocalists aside from Blixa, Hegarty, Cosey and Noe are yet to be unveiled for that.

By the sound of what Cosey was saying some haven't even been recorded yet!

Space Suicide
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
They're a talented, amazing musical group that I respect but I honestly can't and don't listen to them. Not my thing. I have a similar opinion of Throbbing Gristle.

Sutekh
04-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Coil is awesome... I got the foxtrot compilation not long ago and "heartworms" is stunning. Such a shame they died!

wizfan
08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey, The Threshold House website is back online! I had no idea it was resurrected.

"Initial archiving of all Peter’s Work has now been completed."

Yes! We're going to see what Peter had in store for us.

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/ (http://www.thresholdhouse.com/)

trollmanen
08-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Levi, did you ever get with Scanner? I seem to remember him mentioning that he had or was transferring the DAT but then never mentioned it again.

Leviathant
08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I've reminded him a few times, and he's apologetically passed on that he hasn't dug up the tapes yet -- but he's quite busy with his own stuff, and I can absolutely appreciate that.

Maybe other folks poking him on Twitter asking if he ever dug up the Coil/NIN remixes & sent them to @ninhotline might get him going in that direction again, but I don't want to be too much of a bother. Directly :p

wizfan
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Two new TG records are officially coming!

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/INDUSTRIALRECORDS/desertshore/desertshore.html

The long-awaited Desertshore project, as well as the Final Report, will be out on November 26th. Desertshore features Blixa, Sasha Grey, Gaspar Noé, Antony and Marc muthafuckin' Almond.

Which reminds me, should we make a TG thread, or keep this as a Christopherson catch-all thread?

xmd 5a
09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Two new TG records are officially coming!

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/INDUSTRIALRECORDS/desertshore/desertshore.html

The long-awaited Desertshore project, as well as the Final Report, will be out on November 26th. Desertshore features Blixa, Sasha Grey, Gaspar Noé, Antony and Marc muthafuckin' Almond.

Which reminds me, should we make a TG thread, or keep this as a Christopherson catch-all thread?

YESYESYESYESYES! Been waiting for these for so long.

I tend to favour catch all-threads as there is greater scope for discussion, but I wouldn't be adverse to a specific TG thread either.

wizfan
09-25-2012, 08:01 AM
By the way, I find the complete lack of mentions of P-Orridge very amusing. I guess after all the bad blood between him and the rest of the band (https://twitter.com/x_tg), C&C just want to diminish his presence from their future press releases.

jrdsctt
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Where you suggest someone start if they were interested in listening to Coil, but haven't heard all that much yet. Their discography is large and a bit intimidating. I also know that their sound changes a lot from release to release. Anyone got a good starting suggestion?

Sutekh
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Ok I will keep this VERY brief, but I think it does them some degree of justice without delving into every dark corner of their discog. In a nutshell I'd say bookend it - get horse rotorvator and ape of naples

track by track (youtube at the ready!)

early stuff

From Horse Rotorvator (1986)

- anal staircase (pretty different to the rest of their stuff but will be reminiscent of pretty hate machine NIN)

- Slur (remember this album was borne of the uncertainty and fear of the early AIDS/GRIDS epidemic - the lyrics are so great "and I asked my lovers, do you know? - where the desert roses bloom and grow")

- Penetralia (if you like broken by NIN you will be into the sound of this track 100%)

later stuff

from Foxtrot; (1998)

- Heartworms (very depressing, grave sounding. the video is great)

From Ape of Naples; (2005 ish)

- Fire of the Mind (absolutely beautiful funereal track, lyrics are just great, imo one of the best ever)

- Tattooed man (lovely)

- Heaven's Blade

I will also say that "Ostia - death of Pasolini" is lovely

eversonpoe
11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
the "musick to play in the dark" releases are great if you're into ambient and don't mind it getting a little weird.

other than that, i totally agree with sutekh.

Horican
11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
"The First Five Minutes After Death" is also highly recommended. amazing

trollmanen
11-10-2012, 03:55 PM
The Musick to Play in the Dark series are my favorites. I enjoy their stuff from 1998 to the end more than the earlier stuff.

Sutekh
11-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes the later stuff is terribly sad, but really great. I read a shitty review of Ape of Naples & it pretty much turned me against giving a shit what music critics think once & for all

btw the tracks I listed are good starts for newcomers, the rest of their catalogue is really diverse & my choices don't reflect that at all - they're all (relatively) pretty conventional tracks

edit - who's that at 1:55 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRcgQ_e3w4g

xmd 5a
11-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I think Horse Rotorvator is the easiest starting point. I'd also highly recommend Love's Secret Domain. It's rather atypical of the Coil sound but features some of their best tracks IMO.

Awesome performance of "Discipline" above too. I wish I had the opportunity to see TG live. Damn geography!

Uneven Stephen
11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I remember "Love's Secret Domain" and "The Snow" from the Wax Trax Black Box, the only other tracks I've heard besides remixes. I've been searching high and low for the full album of Love's Secret Domain but I can't find it anywhere - iTunes, Amazon, hell even torrent sites. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find this album?

darktemplar007
11-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Are there any places to still get Color Sound Oblivion? I really want to see it.

wizfan
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
You can get the last two DVD's of the set, the ones with the audio/video loops, on Archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/CoilColourSoundOblivionDvd1516

eversonpoe
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Are there any places to still get Color Sound Oblivion? I really want to see it.

i don't think there are any more copies of the open edition available through threshold house, but you can always check.

my copy was one of the ones with a faulty box, but i didn't witness it split open until way after peter had offered replacement boxes. oh well. it's still one of my favourite possessions.

Leviathant
11-10-2012, 10:09 PM
I stumbled across this the other day and thought it was worth sharing, although maybe you've already come across it yourself in similar searches - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCoilFan

darktemplar007
11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I stumbled across this the other day and thought it was worth sharing, although maybe you've already come across it yourself in similar searches - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCoilFan
I love you.

wizfan
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Holy shit, Desertshore / Final Report is out! Here's a little taste: http://boingboing.net/2012/11/25/remembering-peter-sleazy-c.html

eversonpoe
11-29-2012, 11:35 PM
my limited edition vinyl set is on its way...got my digital download a few days ago...both discs are pretty amazing. i haven't listened to the Faet Narok remixes yet, but i'm sure they'll be interesting.

right after i listened to this, i threw "the endless not" on my turntable and realized how different the band is without genesis. i like both versions of the band, but i honestly think desertshore / the final report might be the best thing they ever did.

ghostaustin
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Anyone else a huge fan of Time Machines? I read somewhere that they were planning a box set with extended versions of each piece, but I'm guessing that won't materialize at this point =(

wizfan
11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Anyone else a huge fan of Time Machines? I read somewhere that they were planning a box set with extended versions of each piece, but I'm guessing that won't materialize at this point =(

Love it. It had totally disoriented me once and made me lose my perception of time for a little bit.

eversonpoe
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM

i believe that is something (along with a complete remastered discography on some kind of physical media) that peter was working on at the time of his death. i don't know if danny hyde will pick up where he left off, or if it's something that will never be finished. i hope that both see the light of day, though.

eversonpoe
11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
guess i should have checked threshold house before i spoke: !!!!! (http://www.thresholdhouse.com/2012/11/24/time-machine-2/)

wizfan
11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh, fuck YES!

ghostaustin
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
holy crap!! That just made my day. I hope there is more info soon

imail724
12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Just getting into Coil and want some advice. I liked Horse Rotorvator and the Ape of Naples, but didn't really care for Love's Secret Domain, where do I go from here?

seasonsinthesky
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Just getting into Coil and want some advice. I liked Horse Rotorvator and the Ape of Naples, but didn't really care for Love's Secret Domain, where do I go from here?

sounds like you'd enjoy more Coil releases that have "conventional" structures and approaches, so i'd suggest Astral Disaster (a personal favourite), Black Antlers, and/or The New Backwards.

imail724
12-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Sounds about right, LSD was a little too experimental for my tastes. Thanks

Highly Psychological
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Im liking Scatology the most at the moment. Sounds seriously ahead of its time. Its so so weird. Best album title ever. Coil were obsessed with bodily functions. I remember hearing about how they got some of their friends and went on a tour of the sewers underground in Brighton once. I find a lot of their material really funny.

Im also liking their later EPs the Time Machine ones. A lot of this stuff was recorded when they were on all sorts of drugs, various types of Acid, DMT, psylocybin and some chemicals i have never even heard of that sound fucking scary. They wanted to record what it was like to be in another sphere of some sort, again a lot of it is too mindbending to take in on one listen. But for some reason im drawn to it.
The Time Machine EPS Sound heavily influenced by Autechre.

fillow
12-02-2012, 04:53 AM
I honestly can't think of a Coil release that I don't like. Every album, EP, compilation and single is great and shows different side of a band.
All-time favorite song: An Unearthly Red (from Live Four)

eversonpoe
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
@seasonsinthesky (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/485-seasonsinthesky) astral disaster is the opposite of "structured." it's totally ambient and weird. however, it's also fantastic. LSD is, if anything, their most structured album, and is partly why i don't like it (plus it's WAY too danceable for my taste...hahaha).

@highly psychological (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/99-Highly-Psychological) during the recording of Time Machines, they were on absolutely NO drugs, but sought to make music that simulated the effects of taking drugs, particularly hallucinogens.

@imail724 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/207-imail724)if you liked horse rotorvator & ape of naples, check out "scatology," "gold is the metal (with the broadest shoulders)," "black antlers," and both volumes of "musick to play in the dark."

wizfan
12-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I think part of why Scatology is such a fun listen is Jim Thirlwell's involvement. His dark sense of humor and jazz experimentations found in Foetus mix well with Coil's manifesto. The drum beats are loud and reverb-laden, just like early Foetus releases.

I remember watching a Coil interview on YouTube where Jhonn is asked "Why are you interested in making art about shit?" His response was, "I shit every day."

ghostaustin
01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
So, January 1st has come and went and there's still no info about Time Machines 2. I couldn't find any more info from Threshold House, but I tweeted State51 about the pre-orders and I'll update if they get back to me. In the mean time, is anyone else able to dig up info on it?

eversonpoe
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
So, January 1st has come and went and there's still no info about Time Machines 2. I couldn't find any more info from Threshold House, but I tweeted State51 about the pre-orders and I'll update if they get back to me. In the mean time, is anyone else able to dig up info on it?

i've had the threshold house website open on my phone since the 31st, and i refresh it about once an hour when i'm not home just in case. i've been going crazy.

ghostaustin
01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
State51 got back to me. They said "There's been a slight delay with the release date. Hold tight and keep checking up on the Threshold House site for updates." So, F5 it is.

paul_guyet
01-08-2013, 02:16 AM
So, ever since those unreleased Coil remixes were released (all praise to Levi), I've made an effort to make my way through Coil's enitre discography and review each one, one a week, until I'm through.

If you're interested, take a look.

A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-review-of-coils-thousand-lights-in.html)

Horse Rotorvator (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-review-of-coils-horse-rotorvator.html)

Scatology (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-review-of-coils-scatology.html)

The Remote Viewer (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-review-of-coils-remote-viewer.html)

The Unreleased Themes For Hellraiser (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-review-of-coils-unreleased-themes-for.html)

Time Machines (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-review-of-coils-time-machines.html)

Moon's Milk (In Four Phases) (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-review-of-coils-moons-milk-in-four.html)

Love's Secret Domain (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-review-of-coils-loves-secret-domain.html)

Astral Disaster (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-review-of-coils-astral-disaster.html)

Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 1 (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-review-of-coils-musick-to-play-in.html)

Queens of the Circulating Library (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-review-of-coils-queens-of-circulating.html?m=1)

Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 2 (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-review-of-coils-musick-to-play-in_25.html)

Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-review-of-coils-constant-shallowness.html)

Black Antlers (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-review-of-coils-black-antlers.html)

The Restitution of Decayed Intelligence (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-review-of-coils-restitution-of.html)

Worship The Glitch (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-review-of-coils-worship-glitch.html)

The EPs of Coil (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-coils-ep-collection.html)

ANS (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-coils-ans.html)

The Ape of Naples (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-coils-ape-of-naples.html)

The New Backwards (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-coils-new-backwards.html)

Moon's Milk In Final Phase (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-electric-sewer-ages-moons.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The Coil Review Project - Wrap Up (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-coil-review-project-wrap-up.html) - new

Thanks to everyone who suffered and grew with me.
Especially the handful of hardcore Russians that kept pace.

Also, if you like Nine Inch Nails, you should be into Coil, at least somewhat, it's god damn fascinating.

Thanks again.

paul_guyet

Senateguard33
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
You may have missed something in your scatology review. The metal clanking noises in the background of Solar Lodge remind me of the same thing in Mr. Self Destruct. NIN may very well have sampled that song. Thoughts?

eversonpoe
01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
also, not to be nitpicky, but Scatology originally came out in 1984.

wizfan
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm listening to "First Dark Ride" from the compilation "Unnatural History III" (where Coil used the name "Coil Vs. The Eskaton" (info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasa_Arab)). This track has a lot of similar sounds to The Downward Spiral (The Bottom). It was released on the same year as TDS, so they either used the same instruments or, well, sampled themselves.

For example, 1:44 and 6:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_w1noWhivA

paul_guyet
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I think if Reznor had ever actually sampled directly from Coil that it would be documented, but I completely agree that a lot of his stuff sounds like them and vice versa on later Coil.

Sutekh
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
The guitar sound in many places on broken reminds me of "penetralia", i would be absolutely amazed if that wasn't the sound he was going for

wizfan
01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I think if Reznor had ever actually sampled directly from Coil that it would be documented, but I completely agree that a lot of his stuff sounds like them and vice versa on later Coil.

I wasn't talking about Reznor himself sampling them. I was referring to "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)", the Coil remix. I apologize for any confusion!

paul_guyet
01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
I wasn't talking about Reznor himself sampling them. I was referring to "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)", the Coil remix. I apologize for any confusion!

I was referring to Senateguard's comment, but I completely see what you're saying.

jmtd
01-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Looks like all the vinyl for moons milk in final phase are gone

eversonpoe
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
finally, some news (http://www.thresholdhouse.com/2013/02/10/10-02-2556-b-e/).

TM2 will be (finally) manifesting soon. Within months…

All the remaining members of Coil and the executors of Jhonn and Peter’s estates are currently in discussion about how Coil things will progress. News will be posted here first.

Happy Lunar New Year.

T.H.

Jon
06-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Does anyone out there have the "Live In New York" (pretty much official) release? The VHS/DVD-R contains a soundcheck, and I'm interested as to what was played.

eversonpoe
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Does anyone out there have the "Live In New York" (pretty much official) release? The VHS/DVD-R contains a soundcheck, and I'm interested as to what was played.

i don't know about the soundcheck part, but i'm pretty sure the concert was included in the Colour Sound Oblivion box set (which i own).

Sutekh
07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
It is a dismal reflection on this reality that "the anal staircase" was never performed for a baying arena full of people

trollmanen
07-06-2013, 11:01 PM

I used to have it. It wasn't anything that wasn't played during the performance, as the shows they did around that time were the same setlist (Moscow being the other documented show). There was some backstage footage which wasn't very long and not that interesting I remember.

jmtd
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
So, ever since those unreleased Coil remixes were released (all praise to Levi), I've made an effort to make my way through Coil's enitre discography and review each one, one a week, until I'm through.

For some reason I missed this first time. Bookmarked. Thanks!

Leviathant
07-07-2013, 05:54 PM
"There's been a slight delay with the release date. Hold tight and keep checking up on the Threshold House site for updates."

Understatement of the year.

jmtd
07-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Just finished paul_guyet's coil reviews. A great read, thanks! I'd like to follow you on the same journey. If I may briefly break to moan how hard it would be to legally acquire the whole coil back catalogue? No doubt some collectors editions will surface in the years to come but for the rest of us, put them on amazon mp3 already!

eversonpoe
07-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Just finished @paul_guyet (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=261) 's coil reviews. A great read, thanks! I'd like to follow you on the same journey. If I may briefly break to moan how hard it would be to legally acquire the whole coil back catalogue? No doubt some collectors editions will surface in the years to come but for the rest of us, put them on amazon mp3 already!

before his death, peter was working on a way to put the entire coil discography on one "device" of some kind, be it an extremely large flash drive or a box set with a series of high-quality audio on DVDs or something along those lines. i know Time Machine 2 is the next thing happening (eventually...), but hopefully, after that, they'll go back to getting the discography out.

and actually, for a while, you could buy MOST of their albums and EPs in high-quality digital format from the threshold house store...a few of them are still up there.

Jon
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
before his death, peter was working on a way to put the entire coil discography on one "device" of some kind, be it an extremely large flash drive or a box set with a series of high-quality audio on DVDs or something along those lines.

I had read (either on Brainwashed or Threshold House) that Blu-ray was a possibility. I think the Blu-ray/DVD route or some sort of specialized external HDD would be the cheapest way to go. Those flash drive prices start to get rather exorbitant.

eversonpoe
07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
i would gladly pay a large sum of money for the entire, unabridged COIL discography in high-quality audio on a blu-ray (or two).

Stateira
07-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Same here. I had a good portion of their discography until 2007 when my CD case was stolen and then my ancient EMachines computer crashed and burned.

eversonpoe
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
the threshold house site is down. i'm worried.

paul_guyet
07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
I'll be honest; I downloaded a massive goddamned torrent from Pirate Bay in order to do the review project, but, since then, I have acquired The Remote Viewer on CD as well as Live 3, Time Machines and ANS, plus How To Destroy Angels and Horse Rotorvator on vinyl. If I had...oh, roughly $50,000 I could, potentially, finish my collection of Coil's complete discography in as long as it would take to make some absurdly bad choices on various record houses.
I'd buy that Blu Ray in a heartbeat though...

eversonpoe
08-26-2013, 08:53 PM
the threshold house site is still down, not sure what that means for the (supposedly) impending release of Time Machines 2.

currently watching disc 10 of colour, sound, oblivion (live at mutek, 2003), and it's interesting to see just peter & thighpaulsandra. as much as i love john & his insane stage presence, it's kind of nice to just have some instrumental music to focus on.

trollmanen
08-26-2013, 11:34 PM
I've got all the major releases on CD as I started buying them around 2000 so the prices weren't too bad, though at the time it wasn't cheap. I remember paying around $30 for MTPITD at my local shop on import. At the time, I wasn't really into vinyl (aside from collecting the NIN stuff), but I got MTPITD v2 for probably $75. More recently, I've been coming across Coil vinyl in local shops for decent prices. I picked up original pressings of Scatology and Gold is the Metal, some of the Wax Trax singles. The only things I ever sold of my Coil collection was the Russian best of CD's and the NYC Official VHS and CD (kicking myself a little on that one). I don't think I'll ever sell this stuff, even at todays prices.

There's a Coil group on Facebook where people mostly post video links and such. There was some discussion a month or so with Jon Whitney from Brainwashed where he had some letters that Sleazy had written him. The gist of it was that Peter had given him permission to oversee the release of the Coil catalog on CD (and later vinyl) in deluxe editions of 3 or 4 CD's. Think Love's Secret Domain, Stolen and Contaminated Songs, The Snow and Windowpane in one release, basically each era per release. Peter had sent him a lot of files to go through. Some fans were arguing over whether or not it was legal, but it seemed that Peter was on board with this idea before his death and was planning on working with Jon and Brainwashed to release the back catalog. Jon is planning on going ahead with that (at least at the time of that discussion a few months ago). Personally I think it's a good thing. There seems to be a lot of vinyl bootlegs popping up recently, so there is demand. As long as he's being proper with the money going to the right people who are now the rights holders, I think it would be a good thing to have the Coil catalog available again. I'd buy the releases again even though I own most of the stuff already.

eversonpoe
08-26-2013, 11:39 PM
when i went to get the next disc out of my CSO box set, i realized that i couldn't find disc 2. not really sure what the fuck happened, but i definitely need to find it. :(

paul_guyet
09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I recently sat down with Danny Hyde and talked about his work with Coil and Nine Inch Nails plus some of his upcoming projects.

Awesome guy.

Enjoy.

digressive_obscenity - episode_14 - danny_hyde (http://guido-paparazzi.tumblr.com/post/60087855886/ep-14-danny-hyde)

http://www.paulguyet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ep_14.wv_2.jpg

ghostaustin
09-29-2013, 07:22 PM
most of the Threshold House site seems to have been down for at least the past month, so that's cool

eversonpoe
09-30-2013, 08:26 AM
most of the Threshold House site seems to have been down for at least the past month, so that's cool

yeah, i posted about it the day it went down. the greedbag threshold house site is still working, though i don't know who's actually handling any orders.

i'd say check brainwashed for any news, for the time being.

hobochic
09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
I recently sat down with Danny Hyde and talked about his work with Coil and Nine Inch Nails plus some of his upcoming projects.

Awesome guy.

Enjoy.

digressive_obscenity - episode_14 - danny_hyde (http://guido-paparazzi.tumblr.com/post/60087855886/ep-14-danny-hyde)

http://www.paulguyet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ep_14.wv_2.jpg

Great interview and overall podcast!

(Loved hearing that Mr. Hyde is following Breaking Bad as most of us. Now, I need to clean up my apartment for the big finale.)

ghostaustin
10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Threshold House now has a looping video with what appears to be the Time Machines 2 box and the store has a section for the album that says "coming soon." So I suppose it's coming sooner than it was a year ago!

eversonpoe
11-23-2013, 08:07 AM
it's finally available for pre-order!!!
(http://threshold.greedbag.com/buy/time-machines-ii/)
http://downloads.openimp.com/tid/98b56fb507c4883d13af43dba8a32b941a0adf52/emrlace/ctckvhanuk/TM2_Pewter_Case_Engraved_B_small.jpg

limited to 777 copies. about $90 with shipping to the US. i am so happy (though my wallet isn't :/ )

ghostaustin
12-04-2013, 07:45 AM
despite my reluctance at spending about 75 bucks on a drone album, I've pre-ordered mine! I can't wait! This thing looks beautiful

eversonpoe
12-04-2013, 05:33 PM
despite my reluctance at spending about 75 bucks on a drone album, I've pre-ordered mine! I can't wait! This thing looks beautiful

as someone who has bought several of coil's (and throbbing gristle's) limited edition (and very expensive) items, i can tell you that you're not just paying for the music, you're paying for a unique object. plus, it'll probably be a good amount of excellent music.

ghostaustin
03-15-2014, 09:13 AM
According to the March update, TM2 is going to have 7 tracks and a total running time of 73 minutes. Am I greedy for being disappointed that it's not longer? I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way, and I can always loop them and blend them together, but I remember reading (hopefully correctly) that the original versions of some of these pieces ran closer to an hour, so I was expecting something of that length per track.

jmtd
03-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Fnrgh. That looks nice, but I'd rather hear it than hold it. I wonder if there'll be a standalone digital version.

eversonpoe
03-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Fnrgh. That looks nice, but I'd rather hear it than hold it. I wonder if there'll be a standalone digital version.

i'm sure someone will upload it somewhere, but i don't know if Threshold House is going to offer a purchasable digital version. they haven't said anything about it thus far.

jmtd
03-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah no doubt, but that's a shame because it's a missed marked opportunity for them and opportunity to remunerate them for me. Otoh I'll consider the USB but I'm in desperate house buying save mode ATM.

barkhammer
03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Been listening to Recoiled/Uncoiled a lot lately and was wondering what Coil album has the most sonic similarities to these remixes, if any?

Radiovoyr
03-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Been listening to Recoiled/Uncoiled a lot lately and was wondering what Coil album has the most sonic similarities to these remixes, if any?

That is really hard to say. I feel that every Coil release is unique, beautiful and uniquely beautiful in every way. Not a lot fo continuity in their catalog. Maybe The Remote Viewer though - definitely one of my top 3 releases of theirs. I'd start there considering their nin remixes were my introduction to Coil ha

eversonpoe
04-01-2014, 12:36 AM

That is really hard to say. I feel that every Coil release is unique, beautiful and uniquely beautiful in every way. Not a lot fo continuity in their catalog. Maybe The Remote Viewer though - definitely one of my top 3 releases of theirs. I'd start there considering their nin remixes were my introduction to Coil ha

yeah, i got into coil/throbbing gristle because of coil's remixes for NIN. the first coil album i bought was "unnatural history" and was a terrible introduction to the band.

i definitely agree that starting with remote viewer would be a good choice, as well as black antlers, and the ape of naples. that's all later-era stuff, and then you can ease your way backwards. i'm not a huge fan of love's secret domain (which is many people's favorite coil album) but i really love everything they did up to that point, and most of what they did after (up to the three albums i mentioned before).
also, make sure you check out some of their live stuff. a lot of the material from the colour, sound, oblivion box set has made its way online, and watching their live performances is really, really cool.

dr.lloyd
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Ok I will keep this VERY brief, but I think it does them some degree of justice without delving into every dark corner of their discog. In a nutshell I'd say bookend it - get horse rotorvator and ape of naples

track by track (youtube at the ready!)

early stuff

From Horse Rotorvator (1986)

- anal staircase (pretty different to the rest of their stuff but will be reminiscent of pretty hate machine NIN)

- Slur (remember this album was borne of the uncertainty and fear of the early AIDS/GRIDS epidemic - the lyrics are so great "and I asked my lovers, do you know? - where the desert roses bloom and grow")

- Penetralia (if you like broken by NIN you will be into the sound of this track 100%)

later stuff

from Foxtrot; (1998)

- Heartworms (very depressing, grave sounding. the video is great)

From Ape of Naples; (2005 ish)

- Fire of the Mind (absolutely beautiful funereal track, lyrics are just great, imo one of the best ever)

- Tattooed man (lovely)

- Heaven's Blade

I will also say that "Ostia - death of Pasolini" is lovely

Hi everyone, great thread. Coil are so amazing. I have a good idea on about half their stuff. I spent a lot of time with Musick To Play In The Dark 1 and 2 but did not keep up with everything after that. Not too many people discussing Constant Shallowness on here. Can anyone point me in the direction of other later Coil that sounds as heavy as that CD? Especially the second track - I Am The Green Child - what a complete and utter headfuck ! (thanks Jhonn)

eversonpoe
04-04-2014, 09:04 AM
got an e-mail yesterday that TM2 was finally ready to dispatch, and that the first 100 orders would be going out today, and then woke up to an e-mail this morning saying my order had shipped! WOOO!

http://downloads.openimp.com/id/3b0SHwFOW0Bs/decwytecgs.jpeg

We are happy to announce that the wait is finally over.
The first 100 orders of Time Machines II will be sent out tomorrow; Friday 4th April.
All remaining orders will be sent over the next 10 days.
Many thanks for your patience.

http://downloads.openimp.com/id/TKT1udGTX9lQ/decwywcine.jpeg

eversonpoe
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
my copy of TM2 arrived yesterday, and i'm currently loading it onto my computer. 2.48 gigs worth of AIFF files on a (sorta flimsy) wood flash drive. looks really cool, but there's no artwork or anything. and the flash drive is partitioned, with nothing on the secondary partition. it's kinda weird.

eversonpoe
04-10-2014, 09:35 AM
aaaaaand i just BARELY got it to fit inside the pewter case, and now i can't remove it. x.X good thing i loaded it onto my computer already... >.<

fillow
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I forgot how awesomely random this band can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItBemuqnLU

memeories
04-10-2014, 01:36 PM
aaaaaand i just BARELY got it to fit inside the pewter case, and now i can't remove it. x.X good thing i loaded it onto my computer already... >.<

First impressions?

Thoughts you want to share?

What does it sound like?

Is it similar to the first Time Machines?

...feel free to answer any / all of these questions. : ) Being that the original TM album is one of my all-time favorites, I'm fucking dying to hear more about this one.

eversonpoe
04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
First impressions?

Thoughts you want to share?

What does it sound like?

Is it similar to the first Time Machines?

...feel free to answer any / all of these questions. : ) Being that the original TM album is one of my all-time favorites, I'm fucking dying to hear more about this one.

1. i really wish i owned the original time machines on vinyl. i might break down and buy one of the copies on discogs that's around $100

2. i am SO GLAD i bought this. i honestly would have shelled out a good deal of money for even a digital version, but having this unique, limited edition, physical object is pretty cool.

3. that said, i really wish they had put a little more care into it...the wood (which is pretty flimsy/cheap-feeling) BARELY fits into the pewter case, and i got it stuck in there earlier (but managed to get it out without doing much damage). however, every time i slide it in/out, the metal peels away at various parts of the wood. the USB part also flops around a lot, making it very difficult to actually insert into a drive. : /

4. the first track seems to be slightly corrupted on my copy (it cuts off abruptly at 11:41, followed by over a minute of silence, and is the only track that does something like that). i have put an e-mail into threshold house to find out if that was intentional or if i really do have a messed up file.

5. the music is amazing, so far. it's very similar in mood to the original, and it definitely makes me feel an odd combination of calm and very, very fucked up (but so does most of coil's discography, so...)

6. once i sort out this first track nonsense feel free to PM me...

eversonpoe
04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
looks like i was (sadly) correct. i'm also sad that it's an across-the-board issue, rather than an individual one, because it sucks for them.

Dearest TMII purchasers,

We have been made aware of an unfortunate audio glitch in the first track of Time Machines II.

We have decided that we need to manufacture new USB parts for all orders.

If you have already received your copy of Time Machines II we will send out the new USB part and there is no need to return your order to us.

We expect the new parts to be with us in 3 weeks, at which point we will fulfil all orders as quickly as possible.

We sincerely apologise for this frustrating set of circumstances.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Love,

Threshold House

ghostaustin
05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Has anyone else not received TM2?

eversonpoe
05-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Has anyone else not received TM2?

i was one of the first 100 orders, as i said a few posts up, so i got mine pretty quick after they initially shipped. i think that, once they realized that there was an issue (see my last post above yours), they delayed sending out the rest until they got new flash drives for everyone's orders. i haven't received my replacement, yet, so i'm not surprised you haven't gotten yours at all, yet.

i'll let you know as soon as my replacement comes!

eversonpoe
06-13-2014, 08:08 AM
wrote to threshold house because it's been two months since they sent the e-mail saying they'd have replacement drives in three weeks, and got this reply:

We're hoping to receive the replacement drives in the next week or so, at which point we'll dispatch immediately.

Sorry again for the long wait, but it's definitely almost over!

Kind regards,

Tyrone @ Greedbag on behalf of
Threshold House

eversonpoe
06-17-2014, 02:57 PM
finally own this on vinyl! my favorite COIL album!!!

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10467958_1425496987735159_589630562_n.jpg

ghostaustin
06-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Just got a confirmation e-mail that my copy of TM2 has shipped =D

eversonpoe
06-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Just got a confirmation e-mail that my copy of TM2 has shipped =D

and yet my REPLACEMENT copy hasn't shipped yet? that's weird.

glad you'll finally be getting it, though! other than the first track being fucked up, the rest of it was pretty amazing.

jmtd
06-18-2014, 03:20 PM
finally own this on vinyl! my favorite COIL album!!!

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10467958_1425496987735159_589630562_n.jpg

I've never even bothered trying to get coil vinyl. Seems to be goddamn expensive!

eversonpoe
06-18-2014, 03:55 PM
I've never even bothered trying to get coil vinyl. Seems to be goddamn expensive!

i only paid $39 including shipping. cover is VG and vinyl is VG+.
it depends on what release you're trying to get, and how much of an asshole the person selling it is.
granted, COIL stuff was always expensive even upon first release, especially for people in the US.
i could have paid $100 brand new for the Ape Of Naples vinyl box set if i had gotten it directly from important records, but i missed that opportunity, and ended up having to pay nearly twice as much to buy it directly from threshold house when sleazy got his hands on all the extra copies. it wasn't even gouging, it was that it was £90, because that was a fair british price.

anyway, yeah, the prices for some things (like Musick To Play In The Dark) are INSANE.

at this point the only other thing i REALLY care about getting on vinyl is Gold Is The Metal. i'd like both volumes of MTPITD, but i mean...this is nuts:

Volume 1

Lowest: $93.31
Median: $118.75
Highest: $609.64

Volume 2

Lowest: $216.76
Median: $282.15
Highest: $369.00

i would totally buy the Trauma edition (http://www.discogs.com/Coil-Musick-To-Play-In-The-Dark%C2%B2/release/1826033) (especially because i would love to own a literal piece of john balance...even though i realize that sounds REALLY creepy), but no one has sold one in over 3 years.

eversonpoe
06-27-2014, 08:49 AM
blargh!

Dearest TMII customer,

We’re currently in the midst of having your replacement USBs made, please know that we’re working to get them to you as quickly as possible!

In the meantime, please find below a link to a working version of track 1:

(redacted)

If you have any questions in the meantime please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Threshold House

that's basically what they said several months ago. lame :/

jmtd
06-30-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm really not digging what I've heard of TMII so far (up to track 4)

eversonpoe
06-30-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm really not digging what I've heard of TMII so far (up to track 4)

really? i LOVE it.

Leviathant
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
really? i LOVE it.

Ooh, ooh! My turn! I'm indifferent.

eversonpoe
07-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Ooh, ooh! My turn! I'm indifferent.

i'll say this: it perfectly met my expectations, as opposed to, say, the caustic window LP, which dipped far below my expectations. i know the two aren't really related, but they're both sort of "legacy" items and that's where i draw the comparison.

jmtd
07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
i'll say this: it perfectly met my expectations, as opposed to, say, the caustic window LP, which dipped far below my expectations. i know the two aren't really related, but they're both sort of "legacy" items and that's where i draw the comparison.

I'm quite content to not like it. It's at least very different to TM1 which is good, I think: variety is the spice of life. Perhaps it takes a left-turn at the midway point, I haven't found out yet :)

wizfan
07-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm amazed at how much content is still showing up (re: Electric Sewer Age, TMII). I'm hoping that one day we'll get access to the video archive he was preparing for us.

eversonpoe
07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm amazed at how much content is still showing up (re: Electric Sewer Age, TMII). I'm hoping that one day we'll get access to the video archive he was preparing for us.

what is electric sewer age and why haven't i heard anything about it before right now?

wizfan
07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
what is electric sewer age and why haven't i heard anything about it before right now?

Peter's last collaborations with Danny Hyde. Check http://auralrage.com/

paul_guyet
07-29-2014, 02:06 AM
While it's not exactly Coil, it is Danny Hyde and Peter Christopherson (and John Deek), so I figure that counts.

Here's my review of Electric Sewer Age's Bad White Corpuscle.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-q8pgALx8PYo/U7GtALxXIzI/AAAAAAAABag/eseFPGzFY5A/s1600/ESA+2+thumb.jpg

SoundBlab - Electric Sewer Age - Bad White Corpuscle (http://soundblab.com/reviews/albums/6208-electric-sewer-age-bad-white-corpuscle)

You can also read my reviews of EVERY COIL ALBUM EVER here (http://guidopaparazzi.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-coil-review-project-directory.html) and listen to my interview with Danny Hyde here (http://guido-paparazzi.tumblr.com/post/60087855886/ep-14-danny-hyde).

Enjoy.

eversonpoe
10-21-2014, 10:39 AM
cross-posted in the vinyl collectors thread:

i am now the proud owner of all four solstice/equinox singles (or moon's milk), thanks to dJason

http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10732043_341789072669578_366271382_n.jpg

dJason
10-21-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm glad they're with someone that will really enjoy them!
If anyone is looking for the solstice/equinox CDs, I have those as well. Love them, but I just moved and have a lot of bills to pay. :(

Exocet
10-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Loves Secret Domain from 1988 is probably my favourite Coil recording. its sounds like nothing else, just sounds so cool, effortlessly terrifying, a lot of those industrial English bands from the 80s were all great. i think Coils aim was to send the listener into a state of mania. its a very disorientating listen, sounds like they raided a chemists lab and did the weirdest drugs imaginable they could find and then recorded under the influence. Sounds genuinely dangerous at points. Titan Arch is epic. Coil sounded like nothing else, they were like their own genre.

Leviathant
10-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Loves Secret Domain from 1988 is probably my favourite Coil recording.

...from 1991?

jmtd
10-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Recently dug out my Sansa Fuze full of Coil stuff and enjoyed some Musik To Play In The Dark. Also started "watching" hell raiser 2 for some reason and enjoying the odd Coil cue. Need to give E.S.A. a try.

wizfan
11-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Multitrack cassettes of Horse Rotorvator surface on Ebay. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Horse-Rotorvator-Original-genuine-Ampex-multitrack-with-track-sheets-/251698767791)

And on that note, are there any archives of Peter's vlogs? I can only find his Final Transmission. I tried archive.org but couldn't find anything.

wizfan
11-07-2014, 09:24 AM
The cassettes were sold for £4,300.00.

Sutekh
11-07-2014, 09:31 AM
wow... and they're baked - purely ornamental

Sutekh
11-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Just watched this quickie docu about Rasputin.. and who should appear in the credits for the music? Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utF80YPPlng

edit - apparently there's a whole series called "masters of darkness" all with Coil s/t - I had no idea

eversonpoe
11-19-2014, 07:55 AM
latest updated about TMII

Hi Maxwell,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies again for the continued delays regarding Time Machines II. We have had to find a new manufacturer for the replacement USBs due to repeated mistakes made by the manufacturer of the originals, but the good news is that they are nearly ready and should be with you in the not-too-distant future!

Once again, we're extremely sorry for the delays related to this release, we hope you can appreciate that it's due to us wanting to deliver the complete, final product to you. If you have any questions in the meantime please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Threshold House

eversonpoe
12-29-2014, 04:59 PM
totally forgot to post that i finally got my replacement USB drive right before x-mas. i haven't had a chance to listen to the proper first track, yet, but i'll be doing that probably tomorrow.

feel free to let me know if you'd like to hear the album!

Sutekh
04-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Recently moved to the West-Country, swung by Coil's old HQ by the sea, took a couple of pictures if anyone's interested. Got there and realised it's now a care home, so didn't want to spook anyone out by going right in, will phone ahead and see if I can arrange a chance to take some better pictures

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/q86/s720x720/11083671_10152663754692821_8149751832982778646_n.j pg?oh=d911c8f83206755e1d25d629499d3242&oe=55BD4D03&__gda__=1436777345_66c7d9f620dc61d5ccfd6404caf7994 f

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11112221_10152663760327821_5490080501498492447_n.j pg?oh=d1383b7d42b4cc520f4e1e559a14cd51&oe=557365FA

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/20871_10152663758762821_7397499937189267526_n.jpg? oh=431bb561a047ea721c752db3084d3abb&oe=5571305A&__gda__=1437687336_ef98930fa0c8bdb28fc32cc757d5179 f

hobochic
04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
That's awesome. You should photograph those garage murals individually from straight angles with a good camera.

Touching to see these pictures... even with fart sounds.

Sutekh
04-01-2015, 03:52 PM
yeah this is a case of to be continued I think, I'll call the place and ask if I can take some pics with my dslr - It's a care home now, don't want to spook the elders or get the cops called on me

jmtd
04-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Scanner did a mix for the new industrial documentary and it features a hitherto unreleased scanner/coil collaboration http://thequietus.com/articles/15511-scanner-industrial-soundtrack-for-the-urban-decay-mix

The other playlists look pretty good too

Camille
05-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Lost Coil collaboration gets vinyl release on Mannequin Records

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/08/lost-coil-collaboration-gets-vinyl-release-on-mannequin-records/

Ryan
08-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Is this breaking news? I'm not a Coil fan but just got the email from Cold Spring -

http://thequietus.com/articles/18599-listen-coil-backwards

eversonpoe
08-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Is this breaking news? I'm not a Coil fan but just got the email from Cold Spring -

yeah, that's kind of big news. never really thought this would happen, honestly. i'm glad about it, but i swear, if they fuck up the pressing like they did with Recoiled, i am going to be SO MAD.

edit: also, it seems to be more in line with "the new backwards" (in terms of tracks) and stuff that made it onto "the ape of naples" than the original backwards demo.

demo tracklist:

"Heaven's Blade" – 7:23
"Wir-Click-Wir" – 6:21
"Elves" – 3:10
"Simenon" – 3:49
"In My Blood" – 3:52
"Spastiche" – 3:09
"Crumb Time" – 4:33
"March Of Time" – 6:03

the new backwards tracklist:

"Careful What You Wish For" - 9:06
"AYOR" - 7:40
"Nature Is A Language" - 8:00
"Fire Of The Green Dragon" - 7:54
"Algerian Basses" - 5:02
"Copacaballa" - 6:50
"Paint Me As A Dead Soul" - 6:31
"Backwards" - 5:22
"Princess Margaret's Man In The D'jamalfna" - 8:45

this release's tracklist:
1. Intro
2. Backwards
3. Amber Rain
4. Fire Of The Green Dragon
5. Be Careful What You Wish For
6. Nature Is A Language
7. Heaven’s Blade
8. CopaCaballa
9. Paint Me As A Dead Soul
10. AYOR (It’s In My Blood)
11. A Cold Cell
12. Fire Of The Mind

so i'm pretty confused.

Exocet
08-21-2015, 08:33 AM
So there are about 3 different versions of The New Backwards?..
This material was recorded before they went to Trents place in New Orleans to rework the material..?

Another thing about Coil..i been getting into an obscure little EP they did loads..its called Protection under the name Coil vs Elph. Came out in 1995.
Incredibly dark but really cinematic some of its similar to the work they did on the Hellraiser compilation of theirs.
They had a very big discography..keep finding loads of stuff i missed.

eversonpoe
08-21-2015, 10:19 AM
So there are about 3 different versions of The New Backwards?..
This material was recorded before they went to Trents place in New Orleans to rework the material..?

Another thing about Coil..i been getting into an obscure little EP they did loads..its called Protection under the name Coil vs Elph. Came out in 1995.
Incredibly dark but really cinematic some of its similar to the work they did on the Hellraiser compilation of theirs.
They had a very big discography..keep finding loads of stuff i missed.

protection is great! they did a lot of interesting stuff during that period.

Jon
08-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Peter Christopherson: The Million Dollar Altar (http://www.brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5456:coil-the-million-dollar-altar&catid=74:interviews&Itemid=91) (interview on Brainwashed)

Very interesting interview from 2006 about The Ape Of Naples/Backwards, and the journey a lot of the music went through. Seems to make a little more sense with the "new" tracklist popping up.

@Exocet (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4836) If you haven't checked out the Coil vs. ELpH LP, Worship The Glitch, it's worth your time.

Leviathant
08-21-2015, 12:26 PM

Oh man. I was recently bugging Danny about a version of Heaven's Blade that he had put on an unlisted YouTube video, and he basically said "You won't have to wait long."

I would love to know the lineage of these tracks. Are these the versions produced at Nothing Studios? I mean, I guess I should maybe ask Danny huh.

Mutilated
08-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Instant pre-order. Holy crap. Yes.

eversonpoe
08-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Oh man. I was recently bugging Danny about a version of Heaven's Blade that he had put on an unlisted YouTube video, and he basically said "You won't have to wait long."

I would love to know the lineage of these tracks. Are these the versions produced at Nothing Studios? I mean, I guess I should maybe ask Danny huh.

please let us know when you find out any info!!!

trollmanen
08-21-2015, 10:17 PM
After the Recoiled mess, I'm definitely not buying the vinyl version, not wasting my money or time. Also, I know Danny worked with them a lot, but I'm a little suspicious of how official/legit this is. I mean, they released these tracks on two albums already, so the talk about how this is "now presented as originally intended" seems weird, given that Peter had a direct hand in releasing The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards.

Ryan
08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Any word from Danny Hyde?

Leviathant
08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
After the Recoiled mess, I'm definitely not buying the vinyl version, not wasting my money or time. Also, I know Danny worked with them a lot, but I'm a little suspicious of how official/legit this is. I mean, they released these tracks on two albums already, so the talk about how this is "now presented as originally intended" seems weird, given that Peter had a direct hand in releasing The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards.

There's been some talk about the release on the Coil Facebook group, of all places. From what I gather skimming input from various people who appear to have been involved, what's being released on Cold Spring is what was going to be released on Nothing Records, had there not been ambiguous legal issues to deal with at the time. I plan on getting the vinyl because Coil vinyl appears to be made from the same material as any other vinyl, but inevitably ends up being worth magnitudes more than it should be. While I think Cold Spring will press more than enough copies, I've also got a particular soft spot for Nothing Studios era music. I thought Recoiled/Uncoiled was holy grail material, but really, this is.

While there are several versions of these tracks that have been officially released, I think you can count on these being legitimately frozen in time from the original 1996(?) production. In fact, some guy on the Facebook group was like, "Psh whatever, I've had Fire of the Mind on my soundcloud for ages (https://soundcloud.com/stlkr/coil-the-fire-of-the-mind-agitates). There's a version of Heaven's Blade that Danny posted on YouTube that's like the Dutch Radio broadcast, but more involved, with lyrics (slightly different from the Ape of Naples version) and a drugged out, droney/ambient ending... hoping that's the version that ends up on this release.

There was some drama on the FB group, because Jon W, who runs Brainwashed, was like "Wahh, this isn't using the artwork I was given and told to use when releasing Backwards, why didn't anyone consult me," which I found irritating. If he's got the perfect Backwards album, why not put it out there? He went so far as to contact Cold Spring and lodge some kind of complaint. I hope it's nothing that stymies the release. Dude's apparently got a metric crapload of unreleased Coil bequeathed to him by Peter, and is taking his sweet time doing anything with it, meanwhile fans are buying bootleg vinyls, making their own shirts, whatever. I'm glad I'm not really in the thick of that crowd, seems like there's a lot of melodrama surrounding unreleased works, rights to existing works, etc.

frankie teardrop
08-26-2015, 08:46 PM
In semi-related news, Drew McDowall (frequent collaborator) is releasing his long overdue first album on a pal's label, Dais, in just a few weeks. I've heard most of the album between a few sneak peaks and one of Drew's solo shows, so I can say with some authority that it's going to be a top 5 for the year, for sure.

http://www.factmag.com/2015/08/20/drew-mcdowall-coil-psychic-tv-debut-album-collapse/

Lerxto
08-26-2015, 11:05 PM
It seems like Backwards has leaked already, not sure if it's legit. Currently downloading it.
Also there's a good chance that I can't decide if it's real or not, so if someone here can give the word it'd be great.

barkhammer
08-26-2015, 11:56 PM
It seems like Backwards has leaked already, not sure if it's legit. Currently downloading it.
Also there's a good chance that I can't decide if it's real or not, so if someone here can give the word it'd be great.

There was a "leak" on the 23rd but I'm not sure it's legit as the tracklist doesn't match what's on the Cold Spring site.

Another one surfaced today and again the tracklist doesn't match and I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Lerxto
08-27-2015, 05:26 AM
There was a "leak" on the 23rd but I'm not sure it's legit as the tracklist doesn't match what's on the Cold Spring site.

Another one surfaced today and again the tracklist doesn't match and I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
https://41.media.tumblr.com/68d141ff4f6978e82de48f37837092c5/tumblr_ntqkxsoJvw1uzl1e3o1_1280.png'
My download matches the tracklist. Is this the same one as yours or not?

barkhammer
08-27-2015, 06:09 AM
https://41.media.tumblr.com/68d141ff4f6978e82de48f37837092c5/tumblr_ntqkxsoJvw1uzl1e3o1_1280.png'
My download matches the tracklist. Is this the same one as yours or not?

Tracklist from Cold Spring (http://coldspring.co.uk/discography/csr203cd/) is:

1. Intro
2. Backwards
3. Amber Rain
6. Nature Is A Language
7. Heaven’s Blade
8. CopaCaballa
11. A Cold Cell
12. Fire Of The Mind

So maybe they just screwed up the order of tracks 3-6?

Lerxto
08-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Tracklist from Cold Spring (http://coldspring.co.uk/discography/csr203cd/) is:

1. Intro
2. Backwards
3. Amber Rain
6. Nature Is A Language
7. Heaven’s Blade
8. CopaCaballa
11. A Cold Cell
12. Fire Of The Mind

So maybe they just screwed up the order of tracks 3-6?
Maybe.
It's not common to mix up the track order like this one, but this leak has all the songs including the intro track.

trollmanen
08-30-2015, 11:07 PM
There's been some talk about the release on the Coil Facebook group, of all places. From what I gather skimming input from various people who appear to have been involved, what's being released on Cold Spring is what was going to be released on Nothing Records, had there not been ambiguous legal issues to deal with at the time. I plan on getting the vinyl because Coil vinyl appears to be made from the same material as any other vinyl, but inevitably ends up being worth magnitudes more than it should be. While I think Cold Spring will press more than enough copies, I've also got a particular soft spot for Nothing Studios era music. I thought Recoiled/Uncoiled was holy grail material, but really, this is.

While there are several versions of these tracks that have been officially released, I think you can count on these being legitimately frozen in time from the original 1996(?) production. In fact, some guy on the Facebook group was like, "Psh whatever, I've had Fire of the Mind on my soundcloud for ages (https://soundcloud.com/stlkr/coil-the-fire-of-the-mind-agitates). There's a version of Heaven's Blade that Danny posted on YouTube that's like the Dutch Radio broadcast, but more involved, with lyrics (slightly different from the Ape of Naples version) and a drugged out, droney/ambient ending... hoping that's the version that ends up on this release.

There was some drama on the FB group, because Jon W, who runs Brainwashed, was like "Wahh, this isn't using the artwork I was given and told to use when releasing Backwards, why didn't anyone consult me," which I found irritating. If he's got the perfect Backwards album, why not put it out there? He went so far as to contact Cold Spring and lodge some kind of complaint. I hope it's nothing that stymies the release. Dude's apparently got a metric crapload of unreleased Coil bequeathed to him by Peter, and is taking his sweet time doing anything with it, meanwhile fans are buying bootleg vinyls, making their own shirts, whatever. I'm glad I'm not really in the thick of that crowd, seems like there's a lot of melodrama surrounding unreleased works, rights to existing works, etc.

Yeah, I've been following the Coil FB Group as well. I've stopped bothering even trying to talk to people there, it's just horrible. Anyone even asking about releases that are bootlegs get yelled at. The market for bootlegs wouldn't exist if official versions were in print. I didn't see where Jon was complaining, but I agree with what you've said Matt. If he was given the archive by Peter with instructions on how to release it, then just get on with it. If money is the issue, then do a Kickstarter or something, as I think it's pretty obvious that fans would support it, especially if he has what he claims are documents from Peter confirming that he has permission to release this material and that it's official. He's posted pictures of the letters, and outlined how the releases would be done. It would be pretty awesome, but I'm not holding my breath on them ever coming out. I'm glad that even though I've sold a lot of music I've regretted later on, I've held on to my Coil releases, which even though they go for high prices, I'll hold onto.

As far as this release on Cold Spring goes, I'm tempted to get the vinyl, but they did such a poor job on the Recoiled pressing that I'd rather not waste my money. Maybe I'll get the CD, as I'm definitely interested in the music, especially since it's got that original version of A Cold Cell, which blows away the version they put out on Ape of Naples.

Leviathant
09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Goddamn. Finally got around to downloading the leak. (I've pre-ordered the vinyl, direct from Danny, for better or worse)

The version of Heaven's Blade that was on Ape Of Naples was pretty wild in its own way, but I fucking love this version.

It really is a shame this album didn't get released in 1996. I've always liked my Coil tempered with some pop sensibilities, and this feels like the natural progression from Love's Secret Domain. Lots of weird stuff nestled amongst catchy melodies, rhythms that are at times dancey and oppressive, and ... yeah. So glad it's finally out.

RJK
09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
https://twitter.com/imprec/status/641952742441816064

wizfan
09-13-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm now drawing connections between the Backwards demo, The Ape of Naples, The New Backwards and Backwards 2015. Some of the songs in TAoN and TNB were so manipulated that I couldn't figure out which songs from the demo they were taken from, but now that we have the 2015 edition, things are much clearer now. For example, Wir-Click-Wir is Copacaballa and Elves is Be Careful What You Wish For.

staleincense
09-19-2015, 03:28 PM
https://twitter.com/imprec/status/641952742441816064

Damnit, I hope this isn't too expensive for me...

eversonpoe
09-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Damnit, I hope this isn't too expensive for me...

if they're just pressing it as a standard 2xLP (which will likely only be three sides, as the original box set was three single-sided discs with etching on each disc's b-side) it shouldn't be too bad.

also, in case anyone didn't see it, Backwards is up for pre-order on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Backwards-Coil/dp/B014ELW1KM/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1441976441&sr=8-1) if you want to avoid expensive shipping direct from Coldspring (i believe the base price is also cheaper).

eversonpoe
09-25-2015, 02:49 PM
picked up a cassette of The Snow EP today at a local record store. there was another guy there with basically the exact same taste as me and he managed to snag a cassette of Love's Secret Domain before i saw it, about which i am eternally pissed :|

BRoswell
09-30-2015, 01:56 AM
Arrow Video in the UK is releasing a boxset (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17665) containing the first three Hellraiser films, and one of the new features included is an interview about the abandoned score that Coil did for the first Hellraiser.

Jinsai
09-30-2015, 01:59 AM
picked up a cassette of The Snow EP today at a local record store. there was another guy there with basically the exact same taste as me and he managed to snag a cassette of Love's Secret Domain before i saw it, about which i am eternally pissed :|

Well, it sounds like a cool record store though. Even in a big city like LA, where there used to be tons of music shops with dedicated sections for dark wave/ambient/industrial/post-punk, now there's really only a couple... and they're so far away.

I miss the heyday of curated indie record stores.

eversonpoe
09-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Well, it sounds like a cool record store though. Even in a big city like LA, where there used to be tons of music shops with dedicated sections for dark wave/ambient/industrial/post-punk, now there's really only a couple... and they're so far away.

I miss the heyday of curated indie record stores.

well, Amoeba is pretty great (and gigantic) in your neck of the woods. the first time i went there (in 2002) i spent like $200 in one visit. i was on a family vacation and my parents couldn't believe i a) brought that much money with me and b) spent it all in one place.

the store i was talking about here is called Reckless Records. they have a few locations around the city and do a pretty great job of having a wide selection and being generally awesome.

jmtd
10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Just spotted the CD of Backwards in my local HMV. I was a bit speechless. The didn't have the vinyl.

barkhammer
10-14-2015, 05:42 AM
Well, well, well.... what have we here (http://www.forcedexposure.com/Labels/THRESHOLD.ARCHIVES.UK.html)?

More info from Fact (http://www.factmag.com/2015/10/14/coils-reissues-through-threshold-archives/).

seasonsinthesky
10-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Excited that this is finally happening. Not buying this first round, but looking forward to the upcoming ones.

Still haven't heard Backwards. Is it better than TNB?

eversonpoe
10-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Excited that this is finally happening. Not buying this first round, but looking forward to the upcoming ones.

Still haven't heard Backwards. Is it better than TNB?

it's not BETTER, it's DIFFERENT. i think they're both equally fantastic, personally. TNB is a little bit...less abrasive? which sometimes, i want.

jmtd
10-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Seems there's some behind-the-scenes drama about these new issues. A bit of a bun fight over rights. It's hard to say without more facts, but I *think* Danny might be on the other side of the line from the guys doing these singles re-issues.

barkhammer
10-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Seems there's some behind-the-scenes drama about these new issues. A bit of a bun fight over rights. It's hard to say without more facts, but I *think* Danny might be on the other side of the line from the guys doing these singles re-issues.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't!

Disappointing but inevitable I suppose.

barkhammer
10-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Tracklistings up on discogs (http://www.discogs.com/label/910477-Threshold-Archives) for the re-issues.

And an informative update on brainwashed.com (http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html).

jmtd
10-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Tracklistings up on discogs (http://www.discogs.com/label/910477-Threshold-Archives) for the re-issues.

And an informative update on brainwashed.com (http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html).

So on the one hand I think the brainwashed guy will have plenty of things to do with the rest of the Coil retrospective, he doesn't need to try and torpedo the Backwards release. I guess the issue is the royalties from Backwards on Cold spring are not clear, who knows what deal Danny has cooked up. Danny might still feel burnt by the Closer remix debacle and this is compensation. But then that's what I thought Recoiled was. Are all the royalties going to Danny?

wizfan
10-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Danny might still feel burnt by the Closer remix debacle and this is compensation. But then that's what I thought Recoiled was.

What do you mean by "debacle"?

Mutilated
10-15-2015, 03:27 PM
So I just got my copy of Backwards - nowhere in the credits does it mention Nothing Studios. It says mixed at Magazine Studios, New Orleans.

:/

Leviathant
10-15-2015, 04:12 PM
So I just got my copy of Backwards - nowhere in the credits does it mention Nothing Studios. It says mixed at Magazine Studios, New Orleans.

I think at the time it was referred to as Hot Snakes. Oh well.

Jon
10-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I think at the time it was referred to as Hot Snakes. Oh well.

I thought Hot Snakes (LLC) was the owner of the building?

jmtd
10-16-2015, 03:36 AM
What do you mean by "debacle"?

I'm referring to his chagrin about the lack of credit (artistically and royalty-wise) he got for Closer (Precursor) which iirc he was largely responsible for and did very well as part of appearing in the credits to Seven.

eversonpoe
10-16-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm referring to his chagrin about the lack of credit (artistically and royalty-wise) he got for Closer (Precursor) which iirc he was largely responsible for and did very well as part of appearing in the credits to Seven.

none of the members of coil received credit for the remix within the context of Se7en, unfortunately, it wasn't just Danny.

wizfan
10-16-2015, 06:34 PM
And it wasn't even credited as a remix in some versions of the movie. From IMDb:

In the Platinum Series DVD released by New Line on 12/19/2000 [snip] The song used for the opening credit sequence is a remix of a remix of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. It was credited as "Closer (Precursor) (Remix)" by Nine Inch Nails on the Criterion laserdisc, but the new DVD simply credits the song as Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

Jinsai
10-16-2015, 09:03 PM
I wonder if they just didn't care. It seems like concerns like that were always beneath them...

jmtd
10-26-2015, 10:57 AM
It sounds like the Backwards vinyl has been delayed - unless you've got yours? Cold spring site still says "23rd October" but my local shop suggests 6th November.

eversonpoe
10-26-2015, 04:13 PM
It sounds like the Backwards vinyl has been delayed - unless you've got yours? Cold spring site still says "23rd October" but my local shop suggests 6th November.

other bad news: the Threshold Archives page on Forced Exposure is just...gone.

interesting news (maybe a bootleg?) : this Melancholy Mad Tenant reissue (http://www.discogs.com/The-New-Blockaders-Coil-Vortex-Campaign-The-Melancholy-Mad-Tenant-/release/7642360) is listed as being released early december in russia.

barkhammer
10-26-2015, 06:13 PM
These reissues are starting to look less and less attractive.

They're just in card sleeves like a CD single and don't even have tracklists.

Not to mention that they've mysteriously disappeared off retail websites or have "sold out"....

Leviathant
10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
These reissues are starting to look less and less attractive.

They're just in card sleeves like a CD single and don't even have tracklists.

Not to mention that they've mysteriously disappeared off retail websites or have "sold out"....

Someone posted a clip from The Angelic Conversation on Soundcloud, because the right channel clips.

What kind of irks me about them a little bit is that Jon Whitney was among the folks who made a big fat stink about Recoiled. Talking shit about how Coil would never put unreleased works-in-progress out, and complaining about the artwork associated with the release. Now, I know that the splatter vinyl looked better than it played, but the way Cold Spring handled the release was otherwise pretty nice. (I haven't gotten my copy of Backwards yet, I pre-ordered the vinyl through Danny Hyde).

I've also done short runs of CDs of music my wife's composed, and if I say so myself, the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon (http://www.melissadunphy.com/composition.php?id=19) is really sharp.

So, maybe there's a little bit of schadenfreude in seeing this blowhard screw up. But it's a shame that, after all this fucking time, he rushes out these releases in a manner that is both inexpensive and cheap.

botley
10-26-2015, 10:21 PM
the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon (http://www.melissadunphy.com/composition.php?id=19) is really sharp.
This much is true!

jmtd
10-27-2015, 04:41 AM
Someone posted a clip from The Angelic Conversation on Soundcloud, because the right channel clips.

What kind of irks me about them a little bit is that Jon Whitney was among the folks who made a big fat stink about Recoiled. Talking shit about how Coil would never put unreleased works-in-progress out, and complaining about the artwork associated with the release. Now, I know that the splatter vinyl looked better than it played, but the way Cold Spring handled the release was otherwise pretty nice. (I haven't gotten my copy of Backwards yet, I pre-ordered the vinyl through Danny Hyde).

I don't have a physical copy of Recoiled, but I think they look great. I love seeing MAD's artwork in actual shops. (It was MAD, right?) Also I'm sure I suggested one of either Uncoiled or Recoiled for the name of the community thing (no doubt not in isolation) so I have a smug sense of satisfaction on that front, too (although I can't find the relevant post, I think it was moved or deleted around when the Recoiled project was becoming a reality)

I've also done short runs of CDs of music my wife's composed, and if I say so myself, the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon (http://www.melissadunphy.com/composition.php?id=19) is really sharp.

They do look great!

So, maybe there's a little bit of schadenfreude in seeing this blowhard screw up. But it's a shame that, after all this fucking time, he rushes out these releases in a manner that is both inexpensive and cheap.

I'm wondering what will happen if/when he gets to the actual LPs.

jmtd
10-28-2015, 01:12 PM
... And the Whitney reissues have been deleted.

wizfan
10-28-2015, 03:01 PM
I remember joining the Coil FB group and being like "I'm one of the guys who discovered Uncoiled/Recoiled, ask me anything!" and one person (I think it was JW) told me "you lookin' for handjobs or something?"

eversonpoe
10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
... And the Whitney reissues have been deleted.

i guess you didn't see my post from two days ago... :p

the Threshold Archives page on Forced Exposure is just...gone.

jmtd
10-28-2015, 04:11 PM
i guess you didn't see my post from two days ago... :p

Yeah sorry I saw it but didn't put two and two together. I've seen reports elsewhere of unfulfilled orders being cancelled by retailers.

eversonpoe
10-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Yeah sorry I saw it but didn't put two and two together. I've seen reports elsewhere of unfulfilled orders being cancelled by retailers.

it's fine, i was just giving you a hard time.

so is there any news anywhere as to why this has happened? seems pretty ridiculous to start this big to-do with reissuing the entire back catalog just to take everything down a few days later.

seasonsinthesky
10-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Anyone handling the Coil legacy is apparently doomed to fail unless they are Danny Hyde (and i guess some folks take issue with him, too).

The legacy is quickly becoming a farce.

Senateguard33
10-29-2015, 12:40 PM
I just received a copy of all 8 EP reissues. Still waiting on Backwards to show up, but here's some first impressions:

The CDs come in a mini LP style sleeves with no text, tracklist or even credits. Just a barcode over the shrinkwrap. Curious, but they should have at least included an insert, since there are several tracks that are previously unreleased.

The sleeve and disc art look great.

The mastering is excellent. Everything sounds seemless and is pretty impressive given that most of these tracks are around 30 years old.

The demos and unreleased songs are mostly instrumental and sound more like quick sketches on loop rather than complete songs, but still cool nonetheless.

eversonpoe
10-29-2015, 02:47 PM
I just received a copy of all 8 EP reissues. Still waiting on Backwards to show up, but here's some first impressions:

The CDs come in a mini LP style sleeves with no text, tracklist or even credits. Just a barcode over the shrinkwrap. Curious, but they should have at least included an insert, since there are several tracks that are previously unreleased.

The sleeve and disc art look great.

The mastering is excellent. Everything sounds seemless and is pretty impressive given that most of these tracks are around 30 years old.

The demos and unreleased songs are mostly instrumental and sound more like quick sketches on loop rather than complete songs, but still cool nonetheless.

where did you order from that you actually received them? i guess i should have bought them sooner :(

Senateguard33
10-30-2015, 09:42 AM
where did you order from that you actually received them? i guess i should have bought them sooner :(

I ordered them through Forced Exposure the day they went up for sale. They sold out pretty quick. Interesting enough, the actual release day was supposed to be 11/13, and you can still preorder them on Amazon.

Senateguard33
10-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Anyone handling the Coil legacy is apparently doomed to fail unless they are Danny Hyde (and i guess some folks take issue with him, too).

The legacy is quickly becoming a farce.

Which is a shame, really.

The Threshold Archives project was started by Peter Christopherson and he gave the blue prints to that team and the full "go ahead" to start putting this stuff out there. They were even mastered and compiled by folks in the Coil camp. They are, by all means, official Coil releases.

Danny Hyde is a great guy and has his own vault of material. His "backwards" release is supposedly different than what Threshold House is planning on releasing.

There seems to be a lot of butthurt parties (and fans, sadly), but there's no reason not to make this material available. I know the Threshold Archives are at least compensating former band members and families of John and Peter.

All bullshit aside, these are releases for the fans and that should be the main objective. We shouldn't have to rely on price gouging douches and crappy russian bootlegs to build an affordable Coil collection.

jmtd
11-06-2015, 08:16 AM
LP still hasn't arrived, but I've heard some people have got theirs now.

jmtd
11-09-2015, 03:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072l4x

Great Danny Hyde interview on Stuart Maconie's freak zone

If it doesn't work outside the UK pm me

Camille
11-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Apology if this has been posted before, it's an interview with Peter from 2003 https://soundcloud.com/interbeing/coil-interview-2003-05-16-mutek-64kb

These mixes are quite nice too...

https://soundcloud.com/phuriphonics/remnants-of-what-once-was-coil
and...
https://soundcloud.com/phuriphonics/a-mix-to-play-in-the-dark-coil-mix

eversonpoe
11-19-2015, 08:21 PM
got my copy of Backwards on vinyl from amazon today. the packaging looks really nice, and i'm hoping they did a better job pressing this than they did with recoiled. will likely listen to it tomorrow morning.

any news on threshold archive's disappearance?

barkhammer
11-19-2015, 10:51 PM
got my copy of Backwards on vinyl from amazon today. the packaging looks really nice, and i'm hoping they did a better job pressing this than they did with recoiled. will likely listen to it tomorrow morning.

any news on threshold archive's disappearance?

There's been a minor, if somewhat vague, update on brainwashed.com (http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html)

Thank you to everyone who has supported the launch of Threshold Archives. It is something to be proud of. It has made a lot of people very happy to have the beginnings of the project Peter began finally come to light after so many years. The first phase accomplished its goals: to establish it as a viable entity, to be affordable, available, to preserve the legacy, and work as a model to compensate contributors and survivors when bootleg practices and exploiters run rampant worldwide.In order to continue, however, it is necessary to step away and let someone else take responsibility. The new custodian of Threshold Archives has the infrastructure to meet the requirements, manage accounting and royalties, and establish a trust dedicated to reaching agreements with various stakeholders fairly and ethically.
Brainwashed will only serve in a wholly unpaid advisory capacity from here on. The project is temporarily on hold while the details are being worked out. All apologies to those who have missed the first run but please be patient and try to resist temptation to pay scalpers and opportunists on the auction sites and trading sites.
Thank you again.

eversonpoe
11-20-2015, 09:30 AM
There's been a minor, if somewhat vague, update on brainwashed.com (http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html)

thanks! that actually makes me feel considerably better. especially since i missed out on the first run of all of those CDs.

really wish they'd release, like, a big hard drive or something with the whole catalog on it, like peter had talked about doing shortly before he passed.

wizfan
11-20-2015, 10:03 AM
really wish they'd release, like, a big hard drive or something with the whole catalog on it, like peter had talked about doing shortly before he passed.

Word. He had mentioned that the entire Coil discography could be distributed on a single Blu-ray disc. And then, there was that huge video archive that he planned to host on his site using Drupal. And that, too, went down the drain when we lost him.

jmtd
11-25-2015, 02:09 AM
Opinion : the backwards version of "heaven's blade" is the best.

eversonpoe
12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
finally got around to listening to Backwards on vinyl, and i have several thoughts!

1. cold spring did a much better job packaging & pressing this than they did with recoiled. it sounded absolutely fantastic throughout.
2. the track order is weird. i didn't notice it when i was listening to the digital version, but it doesn't flow very well, and that bothered me.
3. there are a couple songs on it that are superior to their counterparts on ape of naples / the new backwards (, but there are some that are definitely lacking some of the...finesse (?) that other versions have.
4. really glad i pre-ordered because amazon is sold out, and also really glad this got released, despite my couple gripes with it.

Leviathant
12-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Danny's surfaced recently to mention that Backwards won't be on iTunes or Spotify for at least another year or two (I'm guessing this is a legal issue) but that if anyone wanted to download digital copies, he's selling them directly (http://www.auralrage.com/Backwards%20offer.htm).

The download includes several bonus tracks, which were included in downloads given to people who bought the vinyl directly from Mr Hyde.

13. Spactiche
14. Heaven's Blade- 98 Jams
15. Wur Click 98 Lo chords
16. Mellotron song
17. Heavens Blade 96 Vox version
18. Wur Click 98 Tk3 -Vox Bits

wizfan
12-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Danny's surfaced recently to mention that Backwards won't be on iTunes or Spotify for at least another year or two (I'm guessing this is a legal issue) but that if anyone wanted to download digital copies, he's selling them directly (http://www.auralrage.com/Backwards%20offer.htm).

The download includes several bonus tracks, which were included in downloads given to people who bought the vinyl directly from Mr Hyde.

13. Spactiche
14. Heaven's Blade- 98 Jams
15. Wur Click 98 Lo chords
16. Mellotron song
17. Heavens Blade 96 Vox version
18. Wur Click 98 Tk3 -Vox Bits

OMFG THE WUR CLICK THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always been by far my favorite thing ever on the Backwards demo (as Wir-Click-Wir). Bits and pieces of it can be heard on the finished track, Copacaballa, but I always wanted to hear more from that amazing groove. THANK YOU, DANNY!!!

Also, Spastiche, that was also on the demo. Yay! Who would think that Uncoiled would eventually snowball into such greatness? (I really need to get my ass off and do that video thing...)

Leviathant
01-01-2016, 10:54 AM
A common complaint about Backwards that I see among people in the Coil Facebook forum, and no doubt in other places where super serious old-timers reside, is that "these were unreleased for a reason" and "the material just isn't up to the quality we expect with Coil" and that sort of thing.

I just downloaded the Threshold House reissue of the Hellraiser themes, and the bonus tracks on there are just... I mean, given the naming convention, they're obviously quickie compositions done for commercials in the 80s/90s. They're kind of garbage. I don't see these same people blathering on and on about those tracks. And of course, I'm not going to post about this there, because I don't really care for the pile-on that would occur, but I had to post about how goofy and dumb those bonus tracks were, somewhere, might as well be in my own backyard.

Carry on!

barkhammer
06-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Surprised it hasn't been posted already but there are CD & vinyl repressings of The Ape Of Naples and The New Backwards available to pre-order in various configurations over at Important Records (http://importantrecords.com/).

eversonpoe
06-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Surprised it hasn't been posted already but there are CD & vinyl repressings of The Ape Of Naples and The New Backwards available to pre-order in various configurations over at Important Records (http://importantrecords.com/).

i'm so tempted to buy these even though i have the second pressing of the box set already, and both of them on CD. :|

also, whatever happened to threshold archives? i'm really mad i didn't jump on the chance to get all those CDs and then it disappeared.

eversonpoe
07-11-2016, 09:09 AM
not sure when this happened, but the Brainwashed page has been updated to answer my question about why Threshold Archives disappeared:

Thank you to everyone who has supported the launch of Threshold Archives. It is something to be proud of. It has made a lot of people very happy to have the beginnings of the project Peter began finally come to light after so many years. The first phase accomplished its goals: to establish it as a viable entity, to be affordable, available, to preserve the legacy, and work as a model to compensate contributors and survivors when bootleg practices and exploiters run rampant worldwide.
In order to continue, however, it is necessary to step away and let someone else take responsibility. The new custodian of Threshold Archives has the infrastructure to meet the requirements, manage accounting and royalties, and establish a trust dedicated to reaching agreements with various stakeholders fairly and ethically.
Brainwashed will only serve in a wholly unpaid advisory capacity from here on. The project is temporarily on hold while the details are being worked out. All apologies to those who have missed the first run but please be patient and try to resist temptation to pay scalpers and opportunists on the auction sites and trading sites.
Thank you again.

hopefully it gets back on track soon since i missed out on the initial run of the CDs : /

seasonsinthesky
07-11-2016, 03:10 PM
If you want the audio (I know you're a collector, but...), it's all on archive.org. Everything by Coil is there. Everything.

eversonpoe
07-11-2016, 04:07 PM
If you want the audio (I know you're a collector, but...), it's all on archive.org. Everything by Coil is there. Everything.

wait, the remastered audio including all that new bonus material? SERIOUSLY!?

seasonsinthesky
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
wait, the remastered audio including all that new bonus material? SERIOUSLY!?

Fucking everything. Vinyl exclusives, CD-R first press rips, the 2015 Threshold Archive things, all of it. I don't understand how but I am in no way complaining.

mqhanlon
07-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. That's phenomenal. I'll still buy if stuff appears at a reasonable price, but until that happens this is a great way to supplement the gaps in my collection.

eversonpoe
07-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Fucking everything. Vinyl exclusives, CD-R first press rips, the 2015 Threshold Archive things, all of it. I don't understand how but I am in no way complaining.

Thanks for the tip. That's phenomenal. I'll still buy if stuff appears at a reasonable price, but until that happens this is a great way to supplement the gaps in my collection.

yeah, seriously.

i downloaded a "complete" discography torrent years ago when the only physical item i had was an original pressing of scatology on vinyl (i have much, much more now). i'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the first run of these CDs, i was being too hoity-toity "i only buy vinyl, now" about it when i should have been like "IT'S FUCKING COIL, DIPSHIT!"

still debating whether or not i want to get the new pressings of Ape & The New Backwards since i already have the box set with the black vinyl. : /

mqhanlon
07-13-2016, 06:23 AM
i'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the first run of these CDs

I know that they're talking about doing another pressing, but it is pretty unfortunate that the series was created to combat the high cost of the secondary market and now those discs almost all sell for at least $40.

...new pressings of Ape & The New Backwards

Oh, shit! I totally missed that those were happening. Time to put my money where my mouth is. So far the only thing I've downloaded from Archive is The New Backwards... so I just ordered a copy of it. I'm wondering if the vinyl will be six tracks like the original 12", or nine tracks like the CD/download. I never even noticed that discrepancy until I did the download yesterday. Years ago, I had a rip of the vinyl from somebody, and I didn't understand why the Archive download had three extra tracks. The whole Backwards thing is so confusing: The Ape of Naples, The New Backwards, and Backwards are all versions of the same material (obviously Ape is vastly different), and they were released in reverse order of "completion." Plus there's the Backwards demos. So that's four ways you can listen to Coil's phantom album for Nothing Records. (For fun, you can also throw an additional three working titles at the album as well: International Dark Skies, The World Ended a Long Time Ago, God Please Fuck My Mind For Good.)

seasonsinthesky
07-13-2016, 07:15 AM
I'm wondering if the vinyl will be six tracks like the original 12", or nine tracks like the CD/download. I never even noticed that discrepancy until I did the download yesterday. Years ago, I had a rip of the vinyl from somebody, and I didn't understand why the Archive download had three extra tracks.

Important Records' blurb on the site says they used the plates approved by Sleazy the first time around, so they should be an exact reissue with no extras.

Someone needs to do a Musick to Play in the Dark box with the entirety of the tracks included. You can do it as a 3xLP because disc 2 would be the last side of MTPITD1 and the first side of MTPITD2.

eversonpoe
07-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Oh, shit! I totally missed that those were happening. Time to put my money where my mouth is. So far the only thing I've downloaded from Archive is The New Backwards... so I just ordered a copy of it. I'm wondering if the vinyl will be six tracks like the original 12", or nine tracks like the CD/download. I never even noticed that discrepancy until I did the download yesterday. Years ago, I had a rip of the vinyl from somebody, and I didn't understand why the Archive download had three extra tracks. The whole Backwards thing is so confusing: The Ape of Naples, The New Backwards, and Backwards are all versions of the same material (obviously Ape is vastly different), and they were released in reverse order of "completion." Plus there's the Backwards demos. So that's four ways you can listen to Coil's phantom album for Nothing Records. (For fun, you can also throw an additional three working titles at the album as well: International Dark Skies, The World Ended a Long Time Ago, God Please Fuck My Mind For Good.)

Important Records' blurb on the site says they used the plates approved by Sleazy the first time around, so they should be an exact reissue with no extras.

Someone needs to do a Musick to Play in the Dark box with the entirety of the tracks included. You can do it as a 3xLP because disc 2 would be the last side of MTPITD1 and the first side of MTPITD2.

yeah, the new pressing of TNB is going to be identical to the original, which means it's not the expanded CD version, unfortunately.
the new pressing of ape is essentially the same, but instead of being three discs with etchings on every other side, it's two discs with all three etchings (smaller, presumably) on side D.

there's an "unofficial" musick to play in the dark collection that i've debated getting on discogs, but i don't understand the cover art (for two of the versions; the third version looks like a scan of the "trauma" edition), and i have no idea if it sounds good. https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Musick-To-Play-In-The-Dark/master/800413

eversonpoe
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
https://img.discogs.com/q_w4Y6Rnj1D22LfLEvtpj4KzLrg=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-9443301-1480687251-4924.jpeg.jpg

new version of Prescription Edition of Astral Disaster coming out at the end of the month!!! just pre-ordered from B&N (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/astral-disaster-coil/4971202?ean=0778578990817&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Media_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP973&k_clickid=3x973)

In 1998, Coil were invited to record at Sun Dial's studios beneath the London Bridge Hop Exchange-a studio originally know as Samurai Studios, originally built and owned by Iron Maiden. The premises in Victorian times was an old debtors prison which had three underground levels, and still had the original chains, manacles and wrought iron doors from the old prison. This caught the attention of John Balance, who was very keen to record there. Coil spent a number of days recording at the studio during Halloween 1998. With Gary Ramon's help, they developed a number of tracks, some of which resulted in this LP. Ramon produced and mixed the "Astral Disaster" recordings, as well as playing guitar and sitar on these sessions. A version of the album was later remixed by the band and released on their own label-but the Prescription mixes as released in 1999 are unique. This rare album was part of the legendary subscription-only Prescription label album series in the late 1990's, issued in an edition of 99 signed and numbered copies, long since sold out. (If you are wondering, originals fetch £700+). This is the first time the album is being released officially since 1999. Taken from the original masters, this reissue comes with original sleeve artwork, insert, and the facsimile signatures of John Balance and Peter Christopherson that came with the first issue.

seasonsinthesky
12-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Norman Records put up a preorder weeks and weeks ago. Nobody's quite sure if it's legit. Nor when it's supposed to ship. If it will.

Edit: ...And as if they stalk my internet history, Norman emailed an hour after I posted this to say it's in stock and reserved for me.

eversonpoe
01-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Norman Records put up a preorder weeks and weeks ago. Nobody's quite sure if it's legit. Nor when it's supposed to ship. If it will.

Edit: ...And as if they stalk my internet history, Norman emailed an hour after I posted this to say it's in stock and reserved for me.

so...did you actually get yours? because i got a cancellation notice from barnes & noble this week and EVERYONE seems to be out of stock. i am very unhappy.

also, new vinyl (black (http://store.coldspring.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5923) / white (http://store.coldspring.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5924)) & CD (http://store.coldspring.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5922) version of Transparent (Zos Kia / COIL) coming from Cold Spring. just pre-ordered via amazon.

seasonsinthesky
01-14-2017, 05:37 PM
so...did you actually get yours? because i got a cancellation notice from barnes & noble this week and EVERYONE seems to be out of stock. i am very unhappy.

Eep. It did indeed arrive, a couple weeks ago. Haven't listened yet, but the print quality is stellar. Was B&N the only option you had at the time?

eversonpoe
01-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Eep. It did indeed arrive, a couple weeks ago. Haven't listened yet, but the print quality is stellar. Was B&N the only option you had at the time?

it was them or amazon and it was cheaper on B&N. i don't understand how businesses can be allowed to accept pre-orders for items they can't guarantee. it happened to me with a different record on amazon last year, and happened to my wife with "sunset mission" last month. it's infuriating.

seasonsinthesky
01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
I just gave it a listen. No issues with the sound of it. The original/alt mixes are quite something – I hadn't listened to them before. The presence of slide guitar is certainly pretty nuts in Coil moon musick.

eversonpoe
01-16-2017, 04:21 PM
I just gave it a listen. No issues with the sound of it. The original/alt mixes are quite something – I hadn't listened to them before. The presence of slide guitar is certainly pretty nuts in Coil moon musick.

yeah, i have both versions in my digital library. was really hoping to own this on vinyl and am trying not to get too upset about missing out on it. le sigh. at least i have the CSO box and an original pressing of scatology?

eversonpoe
01-19-2017, 09:30 AM
seasonsinthesky was nice enough to message me last night and let me know that resident music (http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=45194) seemed to have copies (possibly of a second pressing) available, and with the decline of the british pound, it only cost me $41 including shipping! still have my "just in case" order in with amazon, but they still say "temporarily out of stock" so who knows if they'll ever be getting more.

r_z
01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Are there any songs / remixes by Coil similar to / stemming from the same era of the sound they brought to their remixes for TDS? Besides LSD and the Contaminated albums, that is. I've listened to a few albums here and there, but it's really their work for Trent - especially on the TDS' title song - that I like most.

eversonpoe
01-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Are there any songs / remixes by Coil similar to / stemming from the same era of the sound they brought to their remixes for TDS? Besides LSD and the Contaminated albums, that is. I've listened to a few albums here and there, but it's really their work for Trent - especially on the TDS' title song - that I like most.

i've heard almost everything they ever released and, as much as i love their output, there's not really much that compares to the remixes they did for NIN in the mid-90s, which is what got me into them in the first place.

seasonsinthesky
01-19-2017, 10:51 AM
i've heard almost everything they ever released and, as much as i love their output, there's not really much that compares to the remixes they did for NIN in the mid-90s, which is what got me into them in the first place.

There's certainly nothing like the Gave Up mix. I understand why they didn't do the vocal cutups very much beyond it, novel as it is, but I LOVE the sound of it. Gonna use it myself I think.

@r_z (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=347) In general style, I do think the original Backwards (as on the 2015 Cold Spring release) is pretty fitting with the TDS remixes.

Also, it might be worth trying a track from Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil, just to see if it tickles your fancy. Heaviest, loudest, most abrasive thing Coil ever did, and a goddamn shame it was the only thing of its kind.

Leviathant
01-19-2017, 09:10 PM

It's not in the same bucket, really, but Coil did a remix of Rush by Depeche Mode that's... well, very much a Coil remix of a Depeche Mode song. Guessing it's mostly Danny Hyde on this one, considering how dancey it is.

armogi
01-20-2017, 11:54 AM
It's not in the same bucket, really, but Coil did a remix of Rush by Depeche Mode that's... well, very much a Coil remix of a Depeche Mode song. Guessing it's mostly Danny Hyde on this one, considering how dancey it is.

damn, i had never heard that depeche mode remix, it's great and should totally have been on the main 81-04 remixes release. Makes me realize i do not have that rare tracks download that came with the album :(

armogi
01-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Could somebody PM me a download link for the new Transparent from Cold Spring? I ain' paying £8.70 for shipment.

so... you joined this forum to ask for free music? nice.

eversonpoe
01-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Nah, I've just made an account, and this question being my first is just a coincidence. I don't need that download link anymore, I found that Transparent is available on streaming services.

if you want a physical copy, the CD and vinyl are both up for pre-order on amazon (i posted links on the previous page)

Shadaloo
01-22-2017, 06:15 PM
This probably sounds shitty, but the impressive size of Coil's back catalogue, on-and-off-again availability, plus instantly kooky aftermarket prices, and other musical pursuits always kind of dissuaded me from getting in there too throughly.

Which sucks because FDTS is and has been funky shit in my life dating back to 1996 or thereabouts.

But I have to confess, everything being up on Archive.org has encouraged me to take the plunge. Do we know the details behind this? Not something I feel comfortable with unless we can now consider the discography, as the bard said, ' guilt-free' downloads. :(

seasonsinthesky
01-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Totally understandable, Shadaloo – the discography is, essentially, impenetrable at this point. Discovering Coil is difficult. I think Peter and Jhonn potentially smile at this.

They've never really made something like their FDTS work again. It has to do with the way Peter (primarily) would create material; how a given Coil track would go was entirely dependent on the source material he was using. He never really used material like the TDS multitracks. I would recommend The New Backwards and/or Backwards (2015) for something similar to Closer (Precursor), though.

I have no idea why the discography is up for free on archive.org but they are a fastidious group of folks and would have killed it by now if it were illegal. Or so I think, anyway.

Shadaloo
01-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Noted. :) I've started with some earlier stuff:

-Horse Rotorvator which is....really impressive and strange in a great almost-creepy way. That's a hell of a Cohen cover.
-Dabbled in Stolen and Contaminated Songs a little....I'm pretty sure "omlagus garfungiloops" is the perfect example of how to translate a magic mushroom experience to audio.

eversonpoe
01-23-2017, 11:15 AM
i somehow hadn't realized that the expanded versions of those CDs that threshold archives put out (still pissed i missed out on physical copies and then they disappeared...ugh) were up on archive.org until you guys mentioned it, so now i can finally listen to them!

also, that copy of astral disaster i ordered shipped this weekend, so it looks like i'll actually be getting it! who knows what'll happen with the new pressing of transparent...probably should have ordered directly from cold spring instead of amazon...

@Shadaloo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=685) horse rotorvator is definitely my favorite album from their first ten or so years of existence

eversonpoe
01-31-2017, 08:18 PM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/a6869efbb4585f5ae5d1d684c637d7af/tumblr_oko5pcGfAL1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

it came! sounded fantastic, too. really wish more stuff would get properly reissued like this so i can expand my COIL vinyl collection. le sigh.

eversonpoe
02-24-2017, 09:40 AM
a little confused because there seems to be a new version of Astral Disaster up for pre-order. it has the cover art for the Threshold House version, but still has the description of the Prescription Edition...

http://aentcdn.azureedge.net//graphics/items/sdimages/c/300/9/1/6/8/3558619.jpg

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Astral-Disaster-COIL/dp/B01NC395MD/ref=sr_1_1_twi_lp__3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487950537&sr=8-1&keywords=astral+disaster+vinyl)

Import CDs (way cheaper)

(http://www.importcds.com/coil-astral-disaster/778578890810)i pre-ordered from ImportCDs just in case (says it's on yellow vinyl). really hoping it's not the prescription edition again : /

seasonsinthesky
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
a little confused because there seems to be a new version of Astral Disaster up for pre-order. it has the cover art for the Threshold House version, but still has the description of the Prescription Edition...

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Astral-Disaster-COIL/dp/B01NC395MD/ref=sr_1_1_twi_lp__3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487950537&sr=8-1&keywords=astral+disaster+vinyl)

Import CDs (way cheaper)

(http://www.importcds.com/coil-astral-disaster/778578890810)i pre-ordered from ImportCDs just in case (says it's on yellow vinyl). really hoping it's not the prescription edition again : /

Amazon says it's released by Lion Productions, and if you go to their website (http://www.lionproductions.org/) and scroll down a bit, there's a blurb on this. However, the blurb only talks about the Prescription reissue and doesn't mention a colour.

The ImportCDs UPC is also different from the UPC in the Lion blurb. So... maybe it is indeed a second press on yellow. Who knows if the cover will be that one or the Prescription one, though.

Jon
02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Amazon says it's released by Lion Productions, and if you go to their website (http://www.lionproductions.org/) and scroll down a bit, there's a blurb on this. However, the blurb only talks about the Prescription reissue and doesn't mention a colour.

The ImportCDs UPC is also different from the UPC in the Lion blurb. So... maybe it is indeed a second press on yellow. Who knows if the cover will be that one or the Prescription one, though.

From the mission statement:

Our own Lion Productions label concentrates on creating respectful re-releases of music first recorded during the "psychedelic era" (1965-1973); as a distributor, we offer similar reissues made by other labels from locations all across the globe.

So, I'm assuming this is a re-release/re-issue using the Prescription release as a "base".

Release will be on yellow wax and limited to 250 copies. Light In The Attic (http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2805-astral-disaster) should be your best bet as far as price and getting what you're supposed to (I hate Amazon when it comes to alternate pressings, etc.):

• Yellow Vinyl = $21 + shipping (March 3, 2017 estimated ship date)
• CD = $12 + shipping (April 28, 2017 estimated ship date)

eversonpoe
02-25-2017, 04:51 PM

From the mission statement:

Our own Lion Productions label concentrates on creating respectful re-releases of music first recorded during the "psychedelic era" (1965-1973); as a distributor, we offer similar reissues made by other labels from locations all across the globe.

So, I'm assuming this is a re-release/re-issue using the Prescription release as a "base".

Release will be on yellow wax and limited to 250 copies. Light In The Attic (http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2805-astral-disaster) should be your best bet as far as price and getting what you're supposed to (I hate Amazon when it comes to alternate pressings, etc.):

• Yellow Vinyl = $21 + shipping (March 3, 2017 estimated ship date)
• CD = $12 + shipping (April 28, 2017 estimated ship date)

well, looks like i might end up with two different colored copies of the prescription edition, then. god damnit. i really wanted the Threshold House version and i was so excited for the possibility of it

: /