PDA

View Full Version : Coil

Pages : 1 [2]

seasonsinthesky
03-15-2017, 10:37 AM
So you bought this, eversonpoe ? I just saw a photo of it in the FB Coil group and it is indeed the same cover, just pressed on yellow wax.

eversonpoe
03-16-2017, 03:26 AM
So you bought this, @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) ? I just saw a photo of it in the FB Coil group and it is indeed the same cover, just pressed on yellow wax.

ffffffffffffffffuck

someone in here, let me know if you want it. no upcharge whatsoever, i'll sell it to you for what i paid.

eversonpoe
05-15-2017, 11:29 PM
so, i finally own a copy of Time Machines on vinyl. i paid $120 (free shipping from South Africa) which is about the most i was willing to pay for it, and about the cheapest i've seen it. it's in near mint condition all around, and the seller was like the nicest person i've ever dealt with on discogs, so i'm very, very happy. haven't had a chance to listen to it, yet, but i'm excited!

eversonpoe
05-31-2017, 12:13 PM
so, i finally own a copy of Time Machines on vinyl. i paid $120 (free shipping from South Africa) which is about the most i was willing to pay for it, and about the cheapest i've seen it. it's in near mint condition all around, and the seller was like the nicest person i've ever dealt with on discogs, so i'm very, very happy. haven't had a chance to listen to it, yet, but i'm excited!

http://68.media.tumblr.com/a697e4860e8c2cb898da6796fe2ad33e/tumblr_oqtrk2RpKD1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

despite some normal crackles and pops, this sounds fantastic. i am so glad i finally own it.

also - https://thevinylfactory.com/news/optimo-give-coil-rarity-cold-cell-bangkok-first-ever-vinyl-release-charity/

‘A Cold Cell In Bangkok’ is out this September on single-sided 12-inch vinyl with a silk-screened image on the other side designed by Firecracker Recordings boss Lindsay Todd.

All proceeds from sales will be donated to the charity Safe Child Thailand (https://safechildthailand.org/), which “supports children in Thailand irrespective of their nationality, ethnicity or religion.”

vav
09-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Time Machines reissue fully authorized by Drew is up for preorder on Dais. I'm trying to find out of it's remastered and new plates were cut or if it's cut from the originals. Clear wax is already sold out.

https://www.daisrecords.com/collections/music/products/time-machines-2xlp

Oh also since i'm signed up now, i'm one of the Coil internet archivists/helpers & i did q/a help for the threshold archives, and the guy that owns that original Side Effects Of Life cassette that i put up on archive.org after transferring it at the studio, ama :P

Leviathant
09-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Clear wax is already sold out.

Sonofa. I had that in my cart this morning but had to go to a meeting. I shouldn't have hesitated, but I also shouldn't be spending any money at all right now. Urrrgghhh.

Oh also since i'm signed up now, i'm one of the Coil internet archivists/helpers & i did q/a help for the threshold archives, and the guy that owns that original Side Effects Of Life cassette that i put up on archive.org after transferring it at the studio, ama :P

Pleasure to have you onboard, and thank you for your work in this arena!

eversonpoe
09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Time Machines reissue fully authorized by Drew is up for preorder on Dais. I'm trying to find out of it's remastered and new plates were cut or if it's cut from the originals. Clear wax is already sold out.

https://www.daisrecords.com/collections/music/products/time-machines-2xlp

of course, a couple months after i FINALLY buy a copy :/

eversonpoe
09-01-2017, 02:32 PM
https://boomkat.com/products/another-brown-world-baby-food

https://boomkat.com/products/a-cold-cell-in-bangkok-67434210-13c6-4769-817b-299867e9f54c

pre-orders for both of these available. i didn't even know a new single version of another brown world was coming out.

also available on Forced Exposure https://www.forcedexposure.com/Artists/COIL.html

eversonpoe
09-02-2017, 10:10 AM
sorry for the multitude of posts!

i put the original pressing i have of Time Machines up on discogs for exactly what i paid, and it sold in less than 12 hours to someone who is REALLY excited about it. so i made up my loss and i'm happy! especially since the other cheapest copy on discogs is currently going for $750, which is NUTS.

vav
09-02-2017, 01:15 PM
So the Time Machines reissue is indeed remastered, and a brand new cut with "minimal changes."

The Baby Food/Another Brown World 12" on Sub Rosa i don't know the source of, but both tracks were originally released by the same label. It's probably just a cash grab, but it's semi-official i suppose.

The Journey To Avebury 12" is kinda the same thing...it's being released by the same guy that released Porto, so i believe him when he says Sleazy said it was cool way back when, but he's being kinda cagey when asked about the source audio and who's cutting the vinyl.

The Cold Cell In Bangkok 12" is also kinda the same thing as above.

eversonpoe
09-03-2017, 06:03 PM
So the Time Machines reissue is indeed remastered, and a brand new cut with "minimal changes."

The Baby Food/Another Brown World 12" on Sub Rosa i don't know the source of, but both tracks were originally released by the same label. It's probably just a cash grab, but it's semi-official i suppose.

The Journey To Avebury 12" is kinda the same thing...it's being released by the same guy that released Porto, so i believe him when he says Sleazy said it was cool way back when, but he's being kinda cagey when asked about the source audio and who's cutting the vinyl.

The Cold Cell In Bangkok 12" is also kinda the same thing as above.

what is The Journey To Avebury and why can't i find anything about it relating to COIL? it looks like it's the soundtrack to a derek jarman short film but i'm confused :confused:

vav
09-03-2017, 08:29 PM
what is The Journey To Avebury and why can't i find anything about it relating to COIL? it looks like it's the soundtrack to a derek jarman short film but i'm confused :confused:

Journey to Avebury was originally released as part of Song Of The Week on Brainwashed back in the 90's. It was re-released on the Brainwaves compilation in the mid-aughts in a higher resolution version with an extended intro. Now the dude that released Porto is pressing a 12" up.

The track itself is a long ambient piece with bird sounds, ms20 filter bubbles, and digital glitchwaves. It's quite relaxing. At least one of the versions is up on archive.org, or i can send you the track too if you'd like.

Leviathant
09-03-2017, 10:20 PM
I caved and pre-ordered Time Machines in gray. I'm still a little miffed that I had clear in my cart, but went to a meeting and came back to find it sold out.

Someone mentioned that Drew's doing another Time Machines set in New York on the 22nd? I hate to sound like that guy, but why do these things happen when I'm completely strapped for cash?

jmtd
09-04-2017, 04:47 AM

I've watched the short, it's interesting, and Coil did the soundtrack for it.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Managed to grab one of the clear vinyl TM packages before they (quickly) sold out. Then I grabbed a red one for actually playing.

Horse Rotorvator is easily one of my top 25 albums of all time. It unnerves me every time I hear it, which really great music should. I've always loved its album cover, with that ominous gazebo thing and the sun shafting in around it. I get lost in that album's artwork when looking at it.

Coil has always fascinated me in a lost-innocence kind of way, in that it's hard for me to imagine what kind of living those guys had to experience to make the music they did. They must have spent some serious time dancing in the shadows to come up with stuff like Scatology, HR and LSD..

eversonpoe
09-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Journey to Avebury was originally released as part of Song Of The Week on Brainwashed back in the 90's. It was re-released on the Brainwaves compilation in the mid-aughts in a higher resolution version with an extended intro. Now the dude that released Porto is pressing a 12" up.

The track itself is a long ambient piece with bird sounds, ms20 filter bubbles, and digital glitchwaves. It's quite relaxing. At least one of the versions is up on archive.org, or i can send you the track too if you'd like.

could you point me in the direction of the 12" that's being released because i can't seem to find it, i just keep finding this - https://www.discogs.com/Myrninerest-Journey-To-Avebury/release/3858531

vav
09-04-2017, 11:57 AM
could you point me in the direction of the 12" that's being released because i can't seem to find it, i just keep finding this - https://www.discogs.com/Myrninerest-Journey-To-Avebury/release/3858531

No direct link, but he's selling it in the Coil FB group, so join up there and search for posts by Carlos Manuel

jmtd
09-05-2017, 06:05 AM
I can't decide on colour! It would have been nice to have had colour previews.

jmtd
09-05-2017, 09:23 AM
As I somewhat anticipated, shipping to the UK will double the price, which is a shame. My most-local record store haven't had sight of it on the pre-order lists from their distributors either.

howisya
09-05-2017, 11:21 AM

thank you very much for archiving this tape and for the history. i just deleted my folder of the demise demos. any interesting comments from wax trax! or danny hyde?

vav
09-05-2017, 06:54 PM
thank you very much for archiving this tape and for the history. i just deleted my folder of the demise demos. any interesting comments from wax trax! or danny hyde?

Danny didn't have too much to say about it, i have vague recollection of him saying this tape was probably made at home and therefore before he was involved in the studio, but i can't find the correspondence. The only other thing Danny said was something along the lines of "It figures you'd be the one to find this." I asked Thrower about it too, he doesn't remember making it.

As for WT!, Julia did a little digging and figured out that this tape was sent to Jim & Danny, and apparently it was liberated from Jim's desk by Frankie Nardiello, aka Groovie Man of Thrill Kill Kult. He then put a bunch of random Greater Than One tracks on Side B. It sat in a box for years until it ended up at Reckless Records on Broadway, where one morning they put it on the website and i randomly happened to look at cassettes that morning (which i hate and do not collect, so i have no idea why i clicked cassettes) see it, and immidiately call not 10 minutes after they put it up. Went down to pick it up and was floored once i realized what it was.

What's weird is that it hadn't been heard of before i unearthed it. Brainwashed didn't mention it, Discogs didn't mention it, zip, nothing. Just kinda one of those weird things. Whitney actually updated Brainwashed to reflect the cassette, but also a mutual friend of Peter's reached out with a list of the entire tape & date archive for me to look over and sure enough it matched one of the tapes. As for the tracks themselves, they're all on one or two DATs, and 2 of the full-fidelity DAT tracks (Fidgit and Carvers & Gilders) made it onto the T-ARCH10 release, aka the Threshold Archives Windowpane.

There are 3 other confirmed copies of this tape, fwiw. One was sent to the owner of Torso records, One was kept in the archive and was auctioned off by Thighpaulsandra about 2 months after i made my tape available, and the other i don't know its lineage of but it's definitely the real deal.

vav
09-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Oh one other thing, so my copy is definitely the source of the Love's Secret Demise mp3 that was floating around the net, but no one will cop to uploading it, Frankie says he didn't do it. So that part's a mystery.

jmtd
09-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Red TM sold out now too. Haven't found a UK seller.

EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)

eversonpoe
09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/coil-with-black-sun-productions-the-plastic-spider-thing-2lp/RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/coil-with-black-sun-productions-the-plastic-spider-thing-cd-dvd/RBL.063CD.html

seasonsinthesky
09-13-2017, 08:34 PM
more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/coil-with-black-sun-productions-the-plastic-spider-thing-2lp/RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/coil-with-black-sun-productions-the-plastic-spider-thing-cd-dvd/RBL.063CD.html

Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?

vav
09-13-2017, 09:39 PM
I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.

eversonpoe
09-13-2017, 11:28 PM
Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?

I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.

from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -
Thanks to Jhon Balance & Peter Christopherson with additional inspiration from: The Electric Newspaper / Steinbrüchel / Test Department / Nine Inch Nails.

and from a review on the same page -
Toward the end there are remixes of the Nine Inch Nail songs 'Leaving Hope' and 'Adrift and at Peace'.

i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?

vav
09-14-2017, 12:52 AM
from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -

and from a review on the same page -

i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?

No way, not even at slightly. It's gotta be some of the most trite Coil inspired music i've heard, and i've got a few of the tribute cd's :/

I mailordered it back in the day and got one of the ones with a polaroid of the ritual, which was a snap of someone's arm against a bannister. Having seen the A Well Hung Monk video, gunna guess it was Balance's...but either way honestly i think i put it up for sale the day after i got it.

If anyone wants to see the A Well Hung Monk vid PM me and i'll send you the link & password. 18+ and not for the sensitive types, there's a lot of dong.

howisya
09-19-2017, 09:52 AM
EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)

i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!

maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.

jmtd
09-20-2017, 04:56 AM
i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!

Thanks, I found an MP3 copy on a russian website. PM me if you want it (or the other two).

maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.

So I don't know if you can skim downloaded shows from the official BBC iPlayer Apps, but there's an amazing unofficial command-line tool called get_iplayer (https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer.git) which makes getting a perfect, permanent copy of TV or radio shows a breeze.

Ive long been thinking of writing a web front end so a group of folks could remote control a get_iplayer recorder and share the results amongst themselves but I never get around to it. By the time I do, it will probably have stopped working (but it has lasted a remarkably long time so far)

jmtd
09-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Found a local store who will do a pre order for time machines!

eversonpoe
09-23-2017, 12:07 PM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/4504625f278dcb7b7f8f8ed5fdeaa6ff/tumblr_owqp47FfBL1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

a cold cell in bangkok 12" 45rpm single with screen-printed side B
hadn't actually heard this remix of the song but it was quite good, and that print looks so cool

jmtd
10-18-2017, 11:17 AM
My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.

jmtd
10-24-2017, 10:12 AM
My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.

...nope it/they didn't. The order got placed successfully though, so it might one day turn up.

Leviathant
11-04-2017, 01:27 PM
My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed

jmtd
11-05-2017, 04:41 AM
I got mine too, ended up with black but better than nothing.

jmtd
11-09-2017, 05:00 AM
My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed

Hey Leviathant, noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

eversonpoe
11-14-2017, 12:48 PM
noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

http://78.media.tumblr.com/6c22c46d024f09bf8b71d5027dd6cb2e/tumblr_ozf4vtS1OM1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

COIL - time machines
dais records 2017 remaster on grey vinyl
listening right now and i'm honestly kind of glad i was able to re-sell the original pressing i had gotten earlier this year because this sounds vastly better (and i love the grey color). i think that's due in part to the remastering (the original sounded a bit thin) and in part to the pressing (this seems to have been done with great care). wish i had gotten the clear, though.

vav
11-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Some guy on eBay is selling a PDF scan of a handwritten letter from John Balance of Coil to Klaus, a German journalist for the ridiculous price of 15 euro. The letter contains the origins of Horse Rotorvator, assorted lyrics, and some fun tidbits such as he and Sleazy selling Gen the name Psychic TV for 2300 pounds which was never paid, or that John felt that Laibach didn't have a sense of humor.
Anyway, i bought one and uploaded it to the Coil facebook group's files so that you don't have to. Happy Thanksgiving.
Share and enjoy, but don't sell it.

edit: i put it up on archive.org too. (https://archive.org/details/JhonnToKlaus)

trollmanen
11-23-2017, 07:32 PM
I ended up buying the black vinyl of Time Machines, as clear would have been the only other color that I wanted and it was sold out. Good pressing, probably didn't need it since I've got the original CD, but it's good mood music. Wish more of Coil's albums were getting official reissues.

eversonpoe
11-25-2017, 10:22 AM
I ended up buying the black vinyl of Time Machines, as clear would have been the only other color that I wanted and it was sold out. Good pressing, probably didn't need it since I've got the original CD, but it's good mood music. Wish more of Coil's albums were getting official reissues.

i mean the remastered audio is worth it, and the music really sits better on vinyl than on CD.

Jon
01-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Is there a full version of the memo included with The Side Effects of Life floating around?

https://i.imgur.com/GqPEdsg.jpg

vav
01-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Is there a full version of the memo included with The Side Effects of Life floating around?

https://i.imgur.com/GqPEdsg.jpg

ive asked him to share it a few times and he refuses.

eversonpoe
04-10-2018, 08:43 AM
https://img.discogs.com/N2ctsdKCT1FcaFaJMcdFZ9HqAj8=/fit-in/600x575/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-11840525-1523279256-8853.jpeg.jpg

COIL - Hidden Hydrology (https://archive.org/details/Hidden_Hydrology)

Hidden Hydrology
COIL's 'Lost Rivers' Studio Sessions 1995-1996

A free fan-sourced EP release.

"COIL's 'Lost Rivers' sessions occured during their London studio time in the winter season of December 1995-February 1996 (for what ultimately became the "A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room" album). A track from this specific set of recordings appeared on the vinyl-only pressing of that album and another track featured on a psychedelic magazine compilation album. Around this recording time Jhonn Balance received a fax from David Tibet containing evocative passages from the Crackanthorpe 'Vignettes' journal from 1896..."

This EP is the result of a Live Coil Archive website admin receiving a few unreleased takes and DAT master files as FLACS from a COIL fan, all taken from these Black Light District/COIL sessions.

I originally included the DAT Master of the Black Light District version of "London’s Lost Rivers" as the main purpose of this EP, but I removed it as I now believe it'll be part of the forthcoming commercial release of the "A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room" album remaster. I did abandon this EP project as soon as I knew the remaster of the album was going to be released, but then thought I'd resurrect it anyway, without that one album track. I am unaware that any of these remaining tracks will be featured in the future remaster of that album.

To round-off the collection it also includes, with kind prior permission, a fantastic interpretation of "Lost Rivers of London" by The Psychogeographical Commission, originally released in 2012.

This "Hidden Hydrology" EP includes the following tracks;

1. Lost Rivers of London - Succour Version [DAT Master]
2. Untitled Instrumental #6 - 5 takes from the BLD Sessions 1995-1996
3. London’s Lost Rivers [Take #2 rough vocal track]
4. Lost Rivers of London [Take #1]
5. Crackanthorpe; Sunrise - Vignettes reading by Phil Barrington
6. London’s Lost Rivers [Take #1]
7. The Lost Rivers of London - cover version by The Psychogeographical Commission

Plus;

* An 18-page 'CD booklet' pdf by Barrington Arts with liner notes of the 'Lost Rivers' studio sessions.
* Sleeve art .tif file.

Phil Barrington

eversonpoe
04-16-2018, 08:14 PM
http://thequietus.com/articles/24398-dais-coil-reissues

just bought both on blue vinyl, sadly the clear was already sold out.

Coil Presents Black Light District: A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room 2xLP / CD PRE-ORDER | Release Date: May 25, 2018 (https://sable.madmimi.com/c/30199?id=418949.1283.1.dc481a10912765af1b474b5fb7b e7f06)

ELpH vs. Coil: Worship the Glitch 2xLP / CD PRE-ORDER | Release Date: May 25, 2018 (https://sable.madmimi.com/c/30199?id=418949.1284.1.13cb62f4495ca262b7bf5e6a0a1 dc419)

Leviathant
04-17-2018, 06:45 PM
I, too, missed the clear vinyl - which went really fucking fast apparently - but I opted for red. I only bought Black Light District though. I appreciate Worship the Glitch for what it is, but I feel like Black Light District is an absolute favorite of mine from the catalog. It seems very, very well suited to being on vinyl. Maybe one day, when I've moved on, someone will discover it in a pile of my things, put it on, and rethink a lot of things after hearing what comes out. It's such a perfect weird record.

Jinsai
04-17-2018, 06:47 PM
holy shit! Vinyl reissue of my favorite COIL album? How did I miss this?!

eversonpoe
04-18-2018, 12:35 AM
holy shit! Vinyl reissue of my favorite COIL album? How did I miss this?!

i only found out last night because i got an e-mail from Dais as i'm on their mailing list! so you didn't miss nothin' (except any of the colored variants that are sold out).

really hoping Dais continues reissuing COIL material on vinyl. if they put as much care into these as they did with Time Machines, i'll be very pleased to have them handle the whole catalog.

poro765
06-12-2018, 05:55 PM
New cd release of How To Destroy Angels!

seasonsinthesky
06-12-2018, 09:28 PM

The link, which you should have included:
http://www.coldspring.co.uk/csr263cd_promoXL.jpg

eversonpoe
06-13-2018, 12:27 AM

The link, which you should have included:

CD & VINYL!?!? i'm so glad i never bought an original. hopefully they don't fuck up this pressing like they did with recoiled.

also kind of weird that cold spring keeps doing some older COIL reissues while DAIS is doing later ones.

eversonpoe
06-16-2018, 01:09 PM
FUCK with the black queen pre-order i totally forgot about this!!!

Jon
06-16-2018, 02:54 PM
FUCK with the black queen pre-order i totally forgot about this!!!

The Bandcamp page claims that all vinyl come with a download card. I saw mention of the artcard on Cold Spring, but not the download card:

https://i.imgur.com/EzyI7ad.png

In case that's hard to read: "All orders direct from Cold Spring will receive an exclusive artcard. All vinyl comes with download card."

eversonpoe
11-07-2018, 01:24 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/4adb46e102b12063d4bc246160a6f297/tumblr_phsiq9Fjgj1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e8a6b9329672ad2ccf4d7071f422028c/tumblr_phu5dne3ED1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

you know, the delays pissed me off, but hot damn i am glad they kept making the pressing plant re-do the plates because both of these sound fucking amazing. so quiet and clean, and the color is gorgeous.

vav
12-22-2018, 04:36 PM
So, if you see a CD copy of Love's Secret Demise, don't buy it. It's a bootleg of my tape that i made freely available (https://archive.org/details/CoilTheSideEffectsOfLife) some years ago. They downloaded my files, applied some volume changes/attempted mastering, and are trying to sell it all over. After speaking with many folks, Boomkat, Cold Spring, Storming The Base & Rough Trade have all pulled it, and Discogs has blocked its sale in their marketplace.

Shadaloo
04-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Deleted double post, but so I can put up something of substance, backwards 2015 is fucking amazing and I hope the entire back catalogue eventually gets re-released on vinyl. I could go for years.

Shadaloo
04-29-2019, 09:46 AM
So I'm immersing myself in the world of Coil, gradually going through everything, taking my time with it all, enjoying the ride, unnecessarily buying vinyl (just got Time Machines wheee), and I idly decide to check if there's a Coil reddit and there is and...

...the mixes on Re/Uncoiled aren't old mixes at all, but new ones Danny Hyde whipped up because of interest? (https://www.reddit.com/r/Coil/comments/bepras/coil_swanyard_preorder_nearly_150_minutes_of/)

Apologies if this is old news, I just completely missed the boat on this and...that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was.

Leviathant
04-29-2019, 11:19 AM
So I'm immersing myself in the world of Coil, gradually going through everything, taking my time with it all, enjoying the ride, unnecessarily buying vinyl (just got Time Machines wheee), and I idly decide to check if there's a Coil reddit and there is and...

...the mixes on Re/Uncoiled aren't old mixes at all, but new ones Danny Hyde whipped up because of interest? (https://www.reddit.com/r/Coil/comments/bepras/coil_swanyard_preorder_nearly_150_minutes_of/)

Apologies if this is old news, I just completely missed the boat on this and...that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was.

Heh, I don't know if there's more for me to say than I said on that comment. "that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was" sums it up nicely. Glad we got it, happy to have that stuff on vinyl, and I've even got a poster flat that bootleggers in Brooklyn were selling on eBay, but when Danny posted this video, I got that feeling you get when you find out someone's hasn't been honest with you about a thing. But that feeling was basically negated by "oh shit, he's hitting mute and solo on the multitracks of my favorite style of NIN remixes", and I'm still okay with how everything panned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77irenJlxs0

Shadaloo
04-29-2019, 01:17 PM
Yes, no complaints as to the quality of the material produced, none. To Danny's great credit he did a spectacular job re-creating the atmosphere and feel of the FDTS remixes. Only what's lost is the mythical status attributed to them - doubtful any of this would have happened but for the assumption they were from the era, of course, but they're no less great for that.

Think I'll follow your lead and hold off on that Swanyard release until more learned and experienced ears than mine have discerned their legitimacy, however. Doing some research, I can see how some out there are hesitant to call some things released post-mortem authentic. This, Thighpaulsandra's new Live Five release, forthcoming issue of The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex soundtrack...hard to shake the feeling some out there are basically earning a living off the legacy of the departed, but if I'm going to hope for and support reissues as they emerge, I can't judge, obviously. It's not like I can directly support Jhonn or Sleazy anymore, much as I wish I could, and I guess it's better that people who worked and knew them can benefit if anyone.

Well, this is getting depressing. On a brighter note, it's a very fun, rewarding, and challenging exercise, going through all of these mounds and heaps of material over years and years and finding things to like, gems that really stick with me (because to be honest quite a bit does not and that's to be expected). I look forward to assembling playlists once I've really processed it all. Have to say, I'm absolutely fascinated by their approach to music. A spiritual statement in their own language at times, overtly pagan in nature at others, sometimes drug-fueled, sometimes not, sometimes conventional and other times anything but...it's always refreshing when something new clicks with you, and I think moreso when it's works such as theirs which really feel like there are no boundaries.

Anyway, I'm meandering as a result of no sleep so I'll close by saying "The Green Child" scares the shit of me, thank you, goodnight

eversonpoe
05-13-2019, 06:45 PM
anyone know about this? had no idea until today! (https://www.side-line.com/150-minutes-of-previously-unreleased-coil-recordings-on-swanyard-3lp-vinyl-and-2cd-set/) (there's a free shipping option...hope i didn't make a mistake taking that over the $4.50 media mail...)

150 minutes of previously unreleased Coil recordings on ‘Swanyard’ 3LP vinyl and 2CD set

and also this! (https://stormingthebase.bandcamp.com/merch/coil-the-gay-mans-guide-to-safer-sex-purple-vinyl?campaign=sidelinenews) (which is cheaper at forced exposure (https://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/coil-theme-from-the-gay-man-s-guide-to-safer-sex-lp/MPD.018LP.html))

Musique Pour La Danse is proud to present Coil's unreleased soundtrack for the VHS only, pre-internet, sexual education documentary entitled "The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex" released in 1992. Members for this project are John Balance, Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson and Danny Hyde.

really hope this stuff isn't just danny hyde milking the ghosts of peter & john...but either way, i'm excited to have more COIL records in my collection.

vav
05-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Swanyard is the Backwards sessions pre-New Orleans and some from New Orleans released by Danny on Infinite Fog.

The second round of Threshold Archives are now available too. https://www.soleilmoon.com/shop/threshold-archives-series-2/ These complete the 16 CD set from 2015. They were manufactured at the same time, however held back for various reasons.

Also coming is a vinyl release of Theme From Gay Man's Guide to Safer Sex, which has Nasa Arab 2, an alternate version of Nasa Arab that was slated for the Threshold Archives released but was accidentally missed.

eversonpoe
05-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Swanyard is the Backwards sessions pre-New Orleans and some from New Orleans released by Danny on Infinite Fog.

The second round of Threshold Archives are now available too. https://www.soleilmoon.com/shop/threshold-archives-series-2/ These complete the 16 CD set from 2015. They were manufactured at the same time, however held back for various reasons.

Also coming is a vinyl release of Theme From Gay Man's Guide to Safer Sex, which has Nasa Arab 2, an alternate version of Nasa Arab that was slated for the Threshold Archives released but was accidentally missed.

would be nice if the 8 CDs actually had tracklists so we'd know what all the additional material was :: shrug ::

vav
05-16-2019, 11:13 PM
I did all that work for you last night on Discogs ;)

eversonpoe
05-16-2019, 11:47 PM
I did all that work for you last night on Discogs ;)

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7qDWp7hxhi1N8oF2/giphy.gif

oh, you're the best! <3 <3 <3

Leviathant
05-17-2019, 01:54 PM
I'd passed on the first set of TARCH discs, not realizing how quickly they'd be withdrawn, but I decided to go in on this set. Even though it doesn't seem to be as heavy on the demo/unreleased end of the spectrum, it's more in line with the era I tend to lean toward with Coil, and the price really is quite reasonable, regardless of who it goes to.

I admit I did wait until a preliminary tracklist was posted on the Coil FB page. (I have so many thoughts about how these releases were done, and those thoughts would have zero bearing on anything, so... whatever.)

Thanks for the discogs update, vav!

katara
05-18-2019, 11:15 AM
I've been interested in this band for years. However, I find their music impenetrable. Despite that, I love their NIN remixes. Do they have any material with a similar feel?

eversonpoe
05-21-2019, 03:31 PM
I've been interested in this band for years. However, I find their music impenetrable. Despite that, I love their NIN remixes. Do they have any material with a similar feel?

yes and no. but i would honestly start with "the ape of naples" & "horse rotorvator" which are two of my favorite coil albums from opposite ends of their discography that have a varied array of the styles they tend to cover.

wizfan
05-21-2019, 05:21 PM
yes and no. but i would honestly start with "the ape of naples" & "horse rotorvator" which are two of my favorite coil albums from opposite ends of their discography that have a varied array of the styles they tend to cover.

These are my fave Coil albums, too!
katara, the "Love's Secret Domain" and "Musick to Play in the Dark" albums are also great for NIN fans; they are reminiscent of their craziest remixes on Further Down the Spiral. And why not try "Backwards" as well, as it was actually recorded at Trent's studio :D

And if you're into drone stuff like Corona Radiata, try "Time Machines". That goddamn album actually hypnotized me once; I was listening to it while printing out a university project and I completely lost track of time.

fillow
05-22-2019, 07:41 AM
I'm just gonna leave here my favorite Coil song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ0JLobQfvY

Leviathant
05-23-2019, 09:55 PM

How similar are you looking to get, because when you listen to their track First Dark Ride, you're going to hear a lot of familiar elements! There's a Coil remix of Depeche Mode's Rush that you'd probably enjoy. Maybe one day we'll get that in high fidelity...

The first Coil album I really latched on to was Love's Secret Domain. It's Coil with some pop sensibilities. I later picked up Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil, and would fall asleep to it. (Spoiler alert: It's not exactly sleepytime music, and you may very well find it impenetrable).

Pre-LSD stuff never resonated strongly with me on the whole, but I still love tracks like The First Five Minutes After Death and Blood from the Air.

Musick to Play in the Dark is one of my all-time favorite albums. Incredible sonic setting. Vol 2 is a good conituation, but definitely plays second fiddle to the first MTIPD.

Sometimes when I'm coding or otherwise working for a long period of strong concentration, I'll put on The Remote Viewer. ALL OF IT. ON LOOP. This one may also land in the "impenetrable" pile for you though.

Ape of Naples is an interesting one. You can tell it's something that's been edited, cut, recut, and re-edited, for over a decade. Some of it is the most forward-sounding in ways I like, but a factor that's bugged me since its release is the quality of the vocals - many of which were taken from live multitracks and manipulated. John Balance was very sick as this album was being wrapped, and died a year before its release. It was the first official release of "Backwards" era stuff recorded at Nothing Studios, but it was far removed from the various demos that had been leaked since 1993.

Backwards was finally released via Coldspring records in 2015, and I feel it fits very strongly in the "Nothing Studios" collection of albums. Not that Trent had anything to do with production or performance - but it serves as this nice bridge between Love's Secret Domain and the Musick to Play in the Dark era music. I've wondered what kind of effect it would have had on Coil had it been released in the US - I think it could have been a pivotal moment for electronic music of the time. Some of the material here was released as The New Backwards in 2008, but as different mixes, or just generally very low audio quality. A couple of tracks sound like they were ripped from a camcorder that sat in a room during playback. I thought it was super disappointing, and am very glad that Backwards saw (what I think is) a proper release.

eversonpoe
05-29-2019, 09:19 PM
got my CDs from Soleilmoon! happy to report that the free shipping is fast & safe. sadly, they're all just cardsleeves (was hoping for digipacks for some reason, guess that was an unfounded expectation) but they seem to be manufactured fine. currently importing on to my computer and thankfully the tracklists seem to have been distributed so i don't have to manually enter them haha.

looking forward to sitting down and listening to these since it's been years since i listened to the original releases.

edit: only the first four of the set have their tracklists cataloged (on gracenote). if i have time later i'll do the rest and upload the data...but it's been a long day. -_-

vav
05-29-2019, 11:18 PM
got my CDs from Soleilmoon! happy to report that the free shipping is fast & safe. sadly, they're all just cardsleeves (was hoping for digipacks for some reason, guess that was an unfounded expectation) but they seem to be manufactured fine. currently importing on to my computer and thankfully the tracklists seem to have been distributed so i don't have to manually enter them haha.

looking forward to sitting down and listening to these since it's been years since i listened to the original releases.

edit: only the first four of the set have their tracklists cataloged (on gracenote). if i have time later i'll do the rest and upload the data...but it's been a long day. -_-

Let me know before you do Gracenotes, i'll go over it with you as you go, there's a few minor errors here and there

wizfan
05-30-2019, 04:27 AM
got my CDs from Soleilmoon!

Soleilmoon, huh? This label is still around? Nice! They had released the DVD of the short film Zoetrope by Charlie Deaux, along with a soundtrack CD by Lustmord.

piggy
06-12-2019, 10:25 PM
After years of being casually curious, I'm now finally starting to dip a toe into the world of Coil. So I have a question about Backwards... How does the 2015 CD release compare to the old leaked (New Orleans unmastered and New Orleans alternate) versions? Is it better? How is it different?

Also, out of The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards, which one do you guys prefer?

eversonpoe
06-13-2019, 12:04 AM
After years of being casually curious, I'm now finally starting to dip a toe into the world of Coil. So I have a question about Backwards... How does the 2015 CD release compare to the old leaked (New Orleans unmastered and New Orleans alternate) versions? Is it better? How is it different?

Also, out of The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards, which one do you guys prefer?

in order of preference:

the ape of naples
backwards 2015
the new backwards
leaked demos/etc.

there are lots of little difference between all the variations and some huge differences. it's really just a "listen to everything and decide what you like best" kind of thing.

eversonpoe
07-15-2019, 08:53 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/66cc0300ea2b27c2d6db3960a0731b5a/tumblr_pulh3s1uNO1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

swanyard 3xLP

this is way better than i expected it to be. given the dearth of material we have access to from this era, i was pleasantly surprised by how much of this still felt fresh. it also sounds absolutely fantastic. definitely worth the price.

jmtd
08-02-2019, 03:51 PM
I missed that entirely, like most coil stuff. Do we think that material (heavens blade, ayor etc) is all finally out there now?

barkhammer
08-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Coil - Live Copenhagen 2002 (2019)

01 - I Am Angie Bowie (Sine Waves) 6:59
02 - The Last Rites of Spring 9:51
03 - Are You Shivering? 9:25
04 - Amethyst Deceivers 8:15
05 - A Warning from the Sun 6:34
06 - The Universe Is a Haunted House 9:14
07 - Ostia (The Death of Pasolini) 10:18
08 - I Don't Want to Be the One 6:15
09 - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) 3:15
10 - An Unearthly Red 13:27

Mixed in 2019 from the original multitrack recordings, this exclusive free download is available only from Thighpaulsandra.co.uk (https://www.thighpaulsandra.co.uk/store/p199/COIL_LIVE_-_Copenhagen_2002.html).
“Although the set list is very similar to the Gdansk show (with the addition of An Unearthly Red) there are a few interesting aspects to the performance, the most notable being the amount of alcohol John Balance had consumed before we took to the stage. There is also a fairly major equipment failure during Bang Bang which resulted in John finishing the song acappella which, under the circumstances, was no mean feat.”– Thighpaulsandra

eversonpoe
08-15-2019, 06:27 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9540e8aaa57043da258877e45aba2b49/tumblr_pwaosd18jj1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

coil • the gay man's guide to safer sex + 2
sounds fantastic, happy to have this in my collection

eversonpoe
08-26-2019, 09:35 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/b1226ede9d0651a7f4e9aa81ca82b7a8/tumblr_pwv19mLaWo1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

coil / zos kia / marc almond • how to destroy angels

this doesn't have nearly the same impact as just an audio document (it's also kind of impossible for this recording to sound very good). not saying i regret buying it, but i much prefer to watch it from the colour sound oblivion box set, and the two "bonus tracks" aren't really anything special. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jmtd
10-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Feat Michael York of coil, apparently. Huh? And a world snooker Champion!?

https://theutopiastrong.bandcamp.com/album/the-utopia-strong

eversonpoe
10-16-2019, 09:49 AM
there are two new COIL releases up for preorder on Norman Records! Stolen & Contaminated Songs 2xLP (https://www.normanrecords.com/records/178903-coil-stolen-contaminated-songs) & Scatology Sessions 2xCD (https://www.normanrecords.com/records/178801-coil-scatology-sessions)

just wish a US retailer was stocking them :/ (and that i had money right now)

vav
10-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Fuck both of those releases. S&C is yet another Danny Hyde cash-in and Scatology Sessions is already available from the Live Coil Archives and archive.org.

eversonpoe
10-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Fuck both of those releases. S&C is yet another Danny Hyde cash-in and Scatology Sessions is already available from the Live Coil Archives and archive.org.

ugh, thanks for the warning. at first i thought danny had good intentions with getting some more stuff out there but yeah, he's starting to piss me off. wasn't planning on buying scatology sessions as i don't need a physical CD of it.

what i really want is new vinyl pressings of Musick To Play In The Dark & Love's Secret Domain

jmtd
10-17-2019, 05:15 PM
what i really want is new vinyl pressings of Musick To Play In The Dark & Love's Secret Domain

Amen brother!

wizfan
12-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Our boy Danny strikes back!

http://regenmag.com/news/collection-of-danny-hyde-project-aural-rage-announced-on-infinite-fog/

tricil
01-02-2020, 08:12 PM
2019 was a rather big year for coil fans:

We got two excellent Live Four tour soundboards (in 24-bit!) from Thighpaulsandra.

Threshold Archives vol. 2

And then a mixed bag of issues by Danny Hyde: Gay Man’s Guide, Swanyard, Stolen & Contaminated.

Oh, and the The Nine Inch Nails thong was a nice touch.

Jon
01-02-2020, 10:50 PM
And then a mixed bag of issues by Danny Hyde: Gay Man’s Guide, Swanyard, Stolen & Contaminated.

Even though the archive.org Coil discography exists, I'm glad these DH reissues are making it onto streaming platforms.

Oh, and the The Nine Inch Nails thong was a nice touch.

Heh.

tricil
01-02-2020, 11:06 PM
Even though the archive.org Coil discography exists, I'm glad these DH reissues are making it onto streaming platforms.

Oh, same. I pre-ordered Stolen and Contaminated on vinyl because it was CD-only to begin with. Too bad there's a minute of Her Friends The Wolves appended on to the end of Corybantic Ennui.

Also, there's A Tale Of Two Black Light Districts.

There's Drew McDowell's version on Dais Records with the proper vinyl-only bonus track London's Lost Rivers: https://drewmcdowall.bandcamp.com/album/coil-presents-black-light-district-a-thousand-lights-in-a-darkened-room

Then there's Danny Hyde's issue on Infinite Fog which he did at the same exact time as the above reissue and wasn't sketch at all: https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/album/coil-presents-black-light-district-a-thousand-lights-in-a-darkened-room

While this version has a new-to-us track (Scattered Cross), it takes out the correct London's Lost Rivers and replaces it with the Coil version of the track from Unnatural History III, The Lost Rivers of London.

And because the Danny Hyde version is totally not sketchy at all, it's been uploaded to Spotify using the exact same title as the superior Dais release, which is makes Spotify hide the Dais issue in favor of this one.

Danny's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fdKuMOK9QAi0KBmPfBLA8?si=cZevpwsLQ0q_wW4LnPOxpw
Drew's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cIEvd8233a1pb3NTyo7AO?si=pnwd_bS1TMGhKn6Zx-Eo2Q

Stolen and Contaminated Songs was likely only reissued because Danny had put out Nasa Arab and Omlagus Garfungiloops on The Theme for Gay Man's Guide +2 (these are the plus two here). Now that that's been opened up, it's likely we'll see a Danny Hyde Love's Secret Domain next year, (un)fortunately. I'll likely buy it, but it's getting to the point of "well I was there in the studio producing the record I guess have the rights to put it out..."

Thongs.

Jon
01-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Also, there's A Tale Of Two Black Light Districts.

There's Drew McDowell's version on Dais Records with the proper vinyl-only bonus track London's Lost Rivers: https://drewmcdowall.bandcamp.com/album/coil-presents-black-light-district-a-thousand-lights-in-a-darkened-room

Then there's Danny Hyde's issue on Infinite Fog which he did at the same exact time as the above reissue and wasn't sketch at all: https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/album/coil-presents-black-light-district-a-thousand-lights-in-a-darkened-room

While this version has a new-to-us track (Scattered Cross), it takes out the correct London's Lost Rivers and replaces it with the Coil version of the track from Unnatural History III, The Lost Rivers of London.

And because the Danny Hyde version is totally not sketchy at all, it's been uploaded to Spotify using the exact same title as the superior Dais release, which is makes Spotify hide the Dais issue in favor of this one.

Danny's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fdKuMOK9QAi0KBmPfBLA8?si=cZevpwsLQ0q_wW4LnPOxpw
Drew's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cIEvd8233a1pb3NTyo7AO?si=pnwd_bS1TMGhKn6Zx-Eo2Q

Stolen and Contaminated Songs was likely only reissued because Danny had put out Nasa Arab and Omlagus Garfungiloops on The Theme for Gay Man's Guide +2 (these are the plus two here).

It's the same on Tidal and Deezer. I've also noticed the digital artwork is cropped incorrectly, and the colors are desaturated on the DH releases.

I was happy for a Stolen and Contaminated Songs reissue because I lost my disc to ring rot years ago.

eversonpoe
01-03-2020, 02:41 PM
so...is the stolen & contaminated vinyl worth getting? i've gone back and forth on it a lot.

tricil
01-03-2020, 05:49 PM
so...is the stolen & contaminated vinyl worth getting? i've gone back and forth on it a lot.

I haven’t gotten my order just yet so i wouldn’t know the actual quality of it.

Despite being ethically dubious because Danny Hyde was an engineer at best on these tracks, S&CS never had a vinyl pressing when it originally came out in 92/93. So it’s interesting for that alone.

Will let you know when i get it.

eversonpoe
01-04-2020, 12:04 PM
yeah i have really mixed feelings about some of the stuff danny has been doing. some of it has been cool, but some of it has been...sort of disrespectful.

tricil
01-04-2020, 02:52 PM
yeah i have really mixed feelings about some of the stuff danny has been doing. some of it has been cool, but some of it has been...sort of disrespectful.

That’s the jist of it!

Shadaloo
01-06-2020, 09:43 PM
So...over the past two weeks I've been on a heavy Coil kick. I've been off and on for a good few years now, but I've finally hit a point where I feel like I've comfortably immersed myself in both the studio and live discographies and shows thereof.

Something I've been mulling over is the fact that in the mid-nineties and beyond, the Coil discography really veers into the eclectic, drone and experimental. Which is wonderful, of course, but those overtly musical moments which do appear leave me to muse at what could have been. The Musick To Play In The Dark works stand on their own, but I can barely listen to much of Moon's Milk, for example.

To that end I'm kind of considering creating my own playlist or compilation of mid-late period musical odds and sods. Not in any sort of attempt to create an accessible album or anything, but it just sort of feels like there's enough kicking about to warrant it, for me at least, whether it be live favorites, outliers, or things that feel like they have a common thread.

Just spitballing. I'll see if I can come up with something cool. :)