PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive interview with Techdirt

Deepvoid
10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121022/00013120781/trent-reznor-talks-to-techdirt-about-his-unconventional-new-record-deal-why-he-still-loves-diy.shtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sheepdean
10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Nothing I didn't expect, but a good read, cheers

snaapz
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, great read.

WorzelG
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for this - interesting stuff about the energy that goes into the whole engaging with people. I've always felt that it is a little depressing to think that the only people who will succeed in this climate are extroverts like Amanda Palmer (not that I have a beef with her or her music) - if someone is introverted or has no interest in engaging with fans, but they make great music I'd hope that would be able to find a place too

carpenoctem
10-23-2012, 05:59 PM
That's the thing I worry about too. I've always had the dream of making music and sharing it as a hobby, but I have no interest in touring or promoting or being out there with it, trying to make a living off it. I love the people that hide behind masks and create an alternate persona for their music, and don't do a whole lot of advance press, like SBTRKT or The Knife. But what that article says about "now you can be a tree falling in a forest" is the only thing I fear. I'd still like to have the music reach people and be acknowledged, I just wouldn't want to be at the center of this huge whirlpool of media exposure. I wonder if there will be a place for me and others like me, especially as the Internet is closing the gap between private and public self. In ten or twenty years, it's likely the din of new music will be even louder and you'll have to pull crazier stunts to have your voice heard.

butter_hole
10-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Burial
Zomby
SBTRKT and The Knife as you already mentioned
Death Grips
iamamiwhoami
Godspeed you!

there's a lot of room for artists who are unconventional promotional-wise

screwdriver
10-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Burial
Zomby
SBTRKT and The Knife as you already mentioned
Death Grips
iamamiwhoami
Godspeed you!

there's a lot of room for artists who are unconventional promotional-wise

there's an audience for people who like pretty much every type of (good) music. some of those audiences may be larger than others, and some may not sustain you making a living just off the music, but there's an audience.

its funny to me how in the space of 10 years we've gone from "oh man, the corporations control what gets out there so maybe we're missing all the good stuff" to "man, there is just too much music out there so maybe we're missing all the good stuff." (Both are true, respectively.)

FernandoDante
10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Anyone else read this:

The main reason I do what I do is I want to do something that matters.

and went straight to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2mTFgW8mZGY#t=346s

?

dominik
10-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Anyone else read this:

and went straight to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2mTFgW8mZGY#t=346s

?

Imagine he said it like that in the interview. Awkward

konstantin
10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
thought it was kinda odd that their goal for HTDA is to reach this huge audience. but the music itself (at least what we've heard so far) is neither catchy nor particularly revolutionary for loads of people to follow. i mean how do you go big with experimental music which doesn't sound particularly fresh and is not concerned with current trends of any kind (perhaps deliberately).

i like HTDA alright, but haven't really considered it as music that matters (so far).

EDIT: this sounds way more mean than i intended it to be. guess i actually wanted HTDA to be an ambitious project, all about pop sensibilities, maybe even heavily dancey. instead we get something completely different, that's more humble, and i'm OK with that. just surprised Trent was talking about their ambition to reach out to a huge audience. perhaps the rest of the album will be more accessible

kas23
10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
thought it was kinda odd that their goal for HTDA is to reach this huge audience.

He basically just wants to show off his wife to a large audience. Look world, look what I have.

mfte
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
I wonder what that Beats By Dre project is all about.

I always thought that it would be amazing (for the vigilant music fan) to be able to remix a song as they listened to it. Wouldnt it be cool if you could be listening to a song thinking "Gee this is good but I wish the guitar was louder in this part and if the drums and kazzoo were silent right before the chorus comes in" and then be actually to do that in real time.

FernandoDante
10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Imagine he said it like that in the interview. Awkward
I'll admit to having spent half an hour looking for the perfect clip where Trent pushes his voice to a "holy shit he's ripping his vocal cords off" level on "MATTERS".