PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead (remake)

Deepvoid
10-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Probably one of the most anticipated remake in the horror genre.
Evil Dead was one of the first horror movies I saw. It's in every horror film buff dvd collection. The expectations are high for this remake a

Sony premiered the trailer at NYCC 2012 and it leaked.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xucxpa_stuff_shortfilms

Some are complaining that it looks "clean" and not gory enough. I couldn't disagree more. It looks absolutely insane and I can't freaking wait for the HD version. This has the potential to be an awesome remake.

henryeatscereal
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Making Ash a girl? i don't know... but at least looks better than Robocop's remake...

The only thing that troubles me it's the fact that the original had a limited budget, non-actors and creative special effects, remaking it and even changing any of those "trademarks" is almost negating the whole Evil Dead concept.

Deepvoid
10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Don't even get me started on that new Robocop suit.

I get what you're saying about the low budget feeling of the original movie Gore is definitely gonna look less cheesy. Where I think it's gonna hit the mark is with the level of evilness it'll bring.
We know what evil looked like in the 80s. I think this will set the bar as to what evil is suppose to be in today's world.

theimage13
10-16-2012, 09:27 AM
This makes me sad. It just looks too...well...Hollywood. Evil Dead was great because it's so campy.

I'll probably get it from the library when the time comes, but I'm far too weary to drop $10 to go see this in a theater.

REPLICA
10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I'll give the film a chance - we could always say it was in an alternate universe. Thanks for posting that link to the trailer!

Now I just have to wait for Mad Max 4.

Leman Russ
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: it's not Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell.

Deepvoid
10-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: it's not Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell.

From the vibe of the trailer, I just don't see Ash fitting there.

Conan The Barbarian
10-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Well, Campbell and Raimi are producers. So Im sure it will be fine.

I dont blame people when they start getting their panties in a bunch over remakes, hollywood has fucked alot of them up, but this at least has some potential.

Leman Russ
10-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm sure I'll see it at some point, I just don't think it will be the same. Hopefully, this won't be 2013's Total Recall.

marodi
10-16-2012, 12:20 PM

I have to agree with that but it's because Bruce Campbell is GOD.

I love the trailer. I love that it looks like they didn't try to "replicate" the campness of the original (which I absolutely adore, by the way). I do believe that there is hope with this one.

Of course I'll see it!

Leman Russ
10-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I have to agree with that but it's because Bruce Campbell is GOD.

Truer words have never been spoken. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go home and watch this
http://www.gorestruly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mid.ArmyOfDarkness.jpg

Frozen Beach
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Bruce Campbell is in it according to several articles on Bloody-Disgusting.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3197640/here-it-is-the-gory-first-footage-from-the-new-evil-dead/
"In the remake starring Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Elizabeth Blackmore, Jessica Lucas and Bruce Campbell"

I don't know if he's playing Ash or not, but if I remember correctly, It was said in interviews before that Ash, in any form, wouldn't be in the film.

While I love the original Evil Dead, I think the story does deserve a retelling since the original has become dated. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the original, but let's be honest, it's hard to take it seriously sometimes.

bobbie solo
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
you're not supposed to take it seriously.

also, new trailer link anybody?

Deepvoid
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
New link

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=26405

Fixer808
10-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Hmm... I could go either way on this. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Ash512
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
That preview has got me pretty excited actually... It sure looks ballsy.

Frozen Beach
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
you're not supposed to take it seriously.

Evil Dead was meant to be a serious attempt at horror. Evil Dead 2 is when Sam Raimi started making it a comedy.

Leman Russ
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Okay, finally watched the trailer. I like that they are keeping it really gory, and glad the possessed trees will be featured in this...and it looks like someone will be lopping their hand off at the wrist at some point.

thevoid99
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
I like some of the gore but I'm still not sold on Shiloh Fernandez in the film. Every time I see him, he looks like he's got that constipated face.

Leman Russ
10-17-2012, 03:19 PM
At least it's not the ermahgerd face

exilajei
10-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Here's the trailer in better quality. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hoziF8HTcag)

hellospaceboy
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't like it's apparent lack of humor or irony. I think it was a mistake to make the new Evil Dead a serious horror film, since the original trilogy is mostly beloved because of it's (sometimes unintended) goofiness. Even without Ash, they could have tried to capture some of the spirit of the originals.

Where's the sense of having fun?!

richardp
10-24-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't like it's apparent lack of humor or irony. I think it was a mistake to make the new Evil Dead a serious horror film, since the original trilogy is mostly beloved because of it's (sometimes unintended) goofiness. Even without Ash, they could have tried to capture some of the spirit of the originals.

Where's the sense of having fun?!

Dude the original Evil Dead was pure horror. Not a comedy at all. Only Dead By Dawn and Army of Darkness are comedies.

This remake looks surprisingly awesome. Consider me sold.

thevoid99
10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
That was lame.

hellospaceboy
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Dude the original Evil Dead was pure horror. Not a comedy at all. Only Dead By Dawn and Army of Darkness are comedies.

This remake looks surprisingly awesome. Consider me sold.

Hmm, I even said "sometimes unintended goofiness". The first Evil Dead already has Ash make faces into the camera, and it's full of over-the-top makeup, and funny special effects. I know it wasn't made as a comedy, but it certainly had a lot of goof in it. (and it's not the only "serious" horror movie that ended being accidentally funny, just look at Re-Animator for example)

Space Suicide
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM
So let's remake a cult classic horror film from the 1980's?

Good idea, right?

Wrong. I'm sorry revered, cult classic films with good actors should never get remade. If they do, it better be damn good. Not so sure about this one...

2012's Total Recall is a perfect example.

I cringe at the thought of an Escape from New York remake. You cannot replace Kurt Russell in one of his most titular roles.

marodi
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Because I'm old, I remember when Evil Dead was released back in 1981. I clearly remember it being sold to viewers as a serious, creepy, you'll-pee-your-pants scary movie. However, I'm not sure if it was made to be serious.

I need to listen to the commentary track once again. Maybe that issue is addressed in it. The Bruce is on that commentary track and one can never listen enough to the the Word of God.

Deepvoid
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
If you look at the trailer for the original movie, it's not too far off in terms of vibe they're trying to get across.

Fixer808
10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I cringe at the thought of an Escape from New York remake. You cannot replace Kurt Russell in one of his most titular roles.
They already did this. Guy Pierce in "Escape From Spac--"... er... "Lockout" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTOzu8N1Pg).

Alexandros
10-25-2012, 02:35 AM
They already did this. Guy Pierce in "Escape From Spac--"... er... "Lockout" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTOzu8N1Pg).

Hahahahahaha...I can't believe I heard the line "He's the best there is...but he's a loose cannon!"

Back on track, I guess the Evil Dead remake could be watchable, but really, a re-imagining here doesn't seem like the best of ideas.

thelastdisciple
10-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Gahh... Enough with all the damn horror remakes......

"oh we need a new audience, it's for a new generation that isn't familiar with the movies..."

Give me a break, sure the movies are going to show their age but they're timeless classics and are not impossible to see or stumble into and I'm sure one generation will father it along to the next one...

I'm 23 and i LOVE some films from the 20s (albeit very few), 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s......... why is it going to end up being any different for another generation down the road...?

The Thing, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, My Bloody Valentine.... all these recent remakes are CRAP like really bad tribute/cover songs, they failed so horribly! and this isn't because of bias or that i was raised with the originals first it's a clear difference in quality and ultimately which were the better films...

Heck some of my friend's friend's kids that are like 14 are even able to tell the difference so it's not like there's some generation gap or anything... I just really don't see how all these remakes are supposed to gain the opinion of younger minds and influence them that they're the better films..

Fucking Hollywood, just keep on wasting money and not supporting original content.

/endrant *Yesitsoneofthosedays

Deepvoid
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
I beg to differ regarding the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. I thought it was well executed. I believe it was the general consensus as well.

See, in the end, it's still just a matter of opinion. I think remake should exists. Yes, some will be crappy but there will be some that will hit the mark.
Evil Dead might just do that.

henryeatscereal
10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
im tired of remakes just as everyone else but this one looks actually good! i agree that most of them were crap but the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ones and the "Halloween" reboot are watchable and faithful to the originals.
I think of them as a "remaster" of an old record (sometimes it's necessary, sometimes it isn't)

thelastdisciple
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
OK, Halloween was decent I'll grant myself that one, completely slipped my mind for some reason. :/

I'll just have to wait and see like everyone else i suppose.

I hope this one can do something good.

joplinpicasso
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
What does it mean for a film's "story to deserve being retold"? I think the main difference between re-imagining music and songs (think any Nick Drake or Robert Johnson cover -- amazing original recordings and amazing covers) and remaking older films is the sheer amount of MILLIONS of dollars used to do so. Think about where else that money could be going. I know, to think like that is a slippery slope, because then what would be the point of spending any money on certain art? This just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sutekh
10-26-2012, 03:32 PM
This is a good thing, as we are one film closer to the end of this mass-rape of the classics

Deepvoid
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
New full red band trailer. This pretty much confirms that this will be amazing.

http://youtu.be/pvDLWlxxcak

nemesiswontdie
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Looks great, but obviously won't have the charm to it that the original holds, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for it. I grew up watching Evil Dead and is still one of my favorite movies. Hopefully it wont be a let down.

Fixer808
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Woooooooooah. I'm in that same camp of... well, loving camp, so this won't hold a candle to the first two, but it's interesting to see a modern take on the horror version.

Ryan
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
New full red band trailer. This pretty much confirms that this will be amazing.

http://youtu.be/pvDLWlxxcak

That's my kinda remake right there.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Holy hell.

Deepvoid
03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
It premiered at SXSW last night. Both Bloody Disgusting and Dread Central posted rave reviews.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/evil-dead-2013

"Oh, and if you think Raimi crossed a line with his "rape vines" in the original Evil Dead, Alvarez doesn't even consider the line while he's crossing it at all. We start off with the scene we're expecting and then - BAM - Alvarez takes it a notch further, making for a truly uncomfortable but highly effective moment of horror."

Ryan
03-31-2013, 12:09 AM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3226144/as-we-suspected-evil-dead-is-a-sequel-that-will-eventually-leads-to-major-crossover-in-evil-dead-7/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Director Fede Alvarez dropped a bomb on WonderCon audiences during an Evil Dead (http://bloody-disgusting.com/film/107002/evil-dead-remake-3/) panel this Sunday in the Anaheim convention center n California.
Back when the red band trailer had been released, We had pointed out some interesting imagery that suggested that maybe the new Evil Dead, in theaters April 5, was actually a sequel. Alvarez confirmed this to the WonderCon crowd, while also adding something major.
He told audiences that an Evil Dead 2 (followed by a planned Evil Dead 3), and the recently announced Army of Darkness 2, will eventually crossover for the ultimate cult horror movie Evil Dead 7, reports Movieweb (http://www.movieweb.com/news/evil-dead-2-remake-and-army-of-darkness-2-will-lead-to-evil-dead-7). So, after two sequels to the current remake – the remake universe will collide with the old “Ash” universe in a film that will amount to be the 4th installment in both franchises.
At this time, Sam Raimi and his brother Ivan Raimi are working on the screenplay for Army of Darkness 2, which will continue the story of Ash as seen in the original The Evil Dead from 1981. While Fede Alvarez might have been joking, suggests the site, who was on hand for the panel, he seemed serious when he said he plans to join both his new franchise together with Sam Raimi’s old franchise.
Hail the king, baby.

Deepvoid
03-31-2013, 12:03 PM
It currently has a 7.9 rating on IMDB and it'snot even released world wide.
Pretty good score for a horror remake. I suspect it'll go over 8 comes Friday.

wight rabbit
04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
4th installment in both franchises.

Who did the math on that one?

The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Army of Darkness 2 = 4
Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Evil Dead 3 = 3

7th movie, yes, but if Army of Darkness 2 is coming out before Evil Dead 7 it's not going to be the 4th film in both franchises...

Edit: Did I read that wrong?

marodi
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Who did the math on that one?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/marodi511/m26.jpg

theruiner will get this.

On topic: I'm seeing it this Friday and I can't wait! I have so much hope it will be good.

nemesiswontdie
04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Just got back from an early showing.

And yeah. It kicked fucking ass. I loved it.

It's definitely not a remake. It's more of a continuation, but it gives big references to the original 3.
Especially at the end after the credits with Bruce showing up

Deepvoid
04-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Sitting in the theater right now. Can't wait!

exilajei
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty disappointed. Didn't find this to be any better than other recent horror remakes, really. All the best stuff was in the trailer, and in the context of the full movie, even the stuff that originally made me say "holy shit!" ended up falling pretty flat due to the banality of the soundtrack, editing, script, etc. There were specific things that bothered me, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.

If I sound overly critical, it's just because I hold the Evil Dead series close to my heart. Didn't stay after the credits, hope I can find that online somewhere!

wight rabbit
04-06-2013, 01:47 AM
All I have to say is:

Groovy.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Holy shit this was godawful.

The Reason Being
04-06-2013, 05:24 AM
So fucking pumped to see this, this is a hard wait for the UK..heard nothing but good things! (Other than the above!)

october_midnight
04-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Went last night, thought it was pretty good. Very little character development but obviously wasn't expecting much in that department. The gore was pretty bonkers, which I was hoping would remain. All in all, pretty good. Grossed my wife out so mission accomplished lol.

richardp
04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
This was absolutely amazing. Enough said.

marodi
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
This was absolutely amazing. Enough said.

Agreed 100% I loved every second of it. I still can't say if it's a remake or a sequel but I know for sure that it will be worthy of standing right next to my Evil Dead Book of the Dead edition on my shelf.

All I have to say is:

Groovy.

HELL YEAH BITCH!

nemesiswontdie
04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Agreed 100% I loved every second of it. I still can't say if it's a remake or a sequel but I know for sure that it will be worthy of standing right next to my Evil Dead Book of the Dead edition on my shelf.

HELL YEAH BITCH!

I personally felt like it was a sequel more than a remake. I loved the movie. I thought it was great. I didn't have that much fun at a movie since The Avengers last year.

marodi
04-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I personally felt like it was a sequel more than a remake. I loved the movie. I thought it was great. I didn't have that much fun at a movie since The Avengers last year.

Same here and I wasn't the only one having a great time:

When Mia finally grabbed the chainsaw, people cheered out loud in the theater.

nemesiswontdie
04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Same here and I wasn't the only one having a great time:

When Mia finally grabbed the chainsaw, people cheered out loud in the theater.

Ha! So did everyone at the show I went to. My friend started to cringe and grip the arm rest when her hand got stuck under the jeep and had to rip it off.

The only thing that I thought was going to happen was when the guy said the passage I thought he was going to say "Klaatu barada nikto" the same thing from Army of Darkness, but ended up saying something completely different.
Did you also notice how in the trailer it shows Mia possessed and in the cellar and she says "we're gonna get you" and how that's not in the movie at all? I don't know what's up with movies doing that now. It wasn't a big dead or anything, just something I noticed. Unless I just blacked out during that part of the movie real quick.

marodi
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
^^
I didn't notice that. I now must see it again! :D

But it's true that it's a trend now that trailers have bits that don't end up in movies. There are quite a few of those in The Avengers trailers. I think it's because the trailers are put together before the final cut of the movie is made but I'm not sure...

Also Mia sitting on the Oldsmobile. That was such a nice touch!

The Reason Being
04-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I havn't seen the movie yet but am really disappointed to hear that, that was my favorite part of the trailer. It's also the one moment from the original that, when I was 13 and watching Linda sing that fucking song, made me go from "This movie is super scary" to "This movie just changed my life".

Seeing it reborn ten years later was supposed to be like, therapy or some shit. And Fede's been saying they didn't really cut anything, just shortened frames by seconds, and that this is essentially his "Director's Cut". Okay now I feel weird that I care that much..I'm sure it'll be on the DVD.

**SPOILERS**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DgIos8Mck4

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DgIos8Mck4)

ghostaustin
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
that was a really fun movie, but I really wish I hadn't seen the red band trailer because that made my expectations rise considerably. Was anyone expecting that trailer to just be the tip of the ultra-gore iceberg?

Piko
04-07-2013, 04:11 PM
It was good for what it is. Felt like a sequel, but not really. I went into it a bit skeptical due to my bias of the original movies. It was gory and enjoyable though.

henryeatscereal
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Liked it a lot... Only two complains: Acting (Outside Mia and David) and the Ending (Good climax but i was expecting a more "Evil" ending) the second compliant it's obviously a matter of personal taste so it doesn't count, good movie and great directing!

Deepvoid
04-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Didn't post my comments after watching late Friday night. Was sick as a dog all weekend long.

Anyways, loved the movie. Everything a horror film should be. It wasn't all about cheap scares. It was genuine horror. What that being said, I couldn't help but fell l like it could have been even better but I can't really pinpoint what was lacking. Maybe it could have used a little tweak script-wise. One of those movies that could have used the extra 10-15 minutes, especially with a runtime of 1h31.
FWIW I gave it a 8/10 on IMDB.

Baphomette
04-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Gold Label Goods is giving away a free Evil Dead button with every Evil Dead t-shirt purchase. (http://www.goldlabel.com/evil-dead-2013) Use code JOINUS at checkout.

(Yes, I work for them.)

bobbie solo
04-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Dead by dawn dead by dawn

slave2thewage
04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Saw it this afternoon, since it's release day over here. I quite liked it, though it's hard to say that I "enjoyed" it. I think it's the first time a horror film made me feel vaguely nauseous at one point.

Pillfred
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Didn't post my comments after watching late Friday night. Was sick as a dog all weekend long.

Anyways, loved the movie. Everything a horror film should be. It wasn't all about cheap scares. It was genuine horror. What that being said, I couldn't help but fell l like it could have been even better but I can't really pinpoint what was lacking. Maybe it could have used a little tweak script-wise. One of those movies that could have used the extra 10-15 minutes, especially with a runtime of 1h31.
FWIW I gave it a 8/10 on IMDB.
My feelings pretty much mirror this statement. Just saw it after work today. It was ok but left me kind of feeling meh. That could just be my waining preference for horror movies these days.