PDA

View Full Version : The Lords of Salem

Deepvoid
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I couldn't find any topic for Zombie's next movie (much to my surprise).

Official trailer was released a week ago after Anchor Bay won the betting war to obtain distribution rights to the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0j7K6-0Ak4

It's visually stunning but reviews from the premiere at TIFF were mixed. Will it be a case of style over substance?

Wretchedest
10-15-2012, 12:26 PM
What is Rob Zombie, if not a case of style over substance?

Deepvoid
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Sometimes it works. I definitely enjoyed The Devil's Rejects and 100 Corpse was not so bad either.

Reznor2112
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
...kubrick

Space Suicide
01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Well, I'm excited for this and it is slated for North American release (fucking finally) on April 26th!

Excited!

Deepvoid
01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Evil Dead on the 12th and now this on the 26th. Sweet!

henryeatscereal
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I already posted it in the "Rob Zombie" thread, sorry if it looks like a double post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXumvqRAHk&feature=youtu.be

aggroculture
02-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Does House of 1000 Corpses stand out as being a particularly bad example of Rob Zombie's film-making?
That's the only one I've seen, and if they're all that crappy, color me uninterested.

richardp
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
As much flack as he gets as director, I really like his style. Dare I say, as terrible of a piece of crap that the theatrical version of Halloween II was, his unrated director's cut that essentially turns the film into a depressing character study about PTSD is a great film.

This movie looks extremely intriguing to me. Count me in.

henryeatscereal
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Does House of 1000 Corpses stand out as being a particularly bad example of Rob Zombie's film-making?
That's the only one I've seen, and if they're all that crappy, color me uninterested.
Just watch the trailer and you will see he has evolved a lot, "House of 1000 Corpses" is his worst movie (technically speaking) by far...

Deepvoid
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM

A bad example? I wouldn't say that. It's quite different from his Halloween remakes.
He's always been very artsy. I would give The Devil's Rejects a try. If you don't like this one after not liking 1000 corpses, I think it's safe to say you're legitimately not a fan.

henryeatscereal
02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Agreed i think his best movie is "Devil's Rejects" (both visually and story-wise)

Space Suicide
04-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Well I was looking extremely forward to going to see this tomorrow afternoon but it seems that no theater near me is screening it so I guess I lose out and have to wait for DVD/Blu-Ray release or be a dick and download a torrent (which I don't want to nor will do).

Hazekiah
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
I thought House of 1,000 Corpses was good, simple, schlocky fun and comparable to most of the rest of Rob Zombie's career in whatever medium, but The Devil's Rejects was a VAST improvement. Great fucking movie. It's definitely made me much more excited to see his Halloween movies someday.

Not too excited about this one just yet but the newer trailers are definitely better the trailer I saw him show on the Twins of Evil tour about a billion times. So I'm curious and cautiously hopeful, I guess.

slave2thewage
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
There is seemingly no release date for it over here. BOO.

Pillfred
04-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Gah...his wife is a lead? God she is terrible. May check it out. I still hold out some hope he'll develop but we'll see.

Space Suicide
04-19-2013, 10:45 PM
There is seemingly no release date for it over here. BOO.

UK is April 26th.

hellospaceboy
04-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Gah...his wife is a lead? God she is terrible. May check it out. I still hold out some hope he'll develop but we'll see.

I actually think she's pretty good!

I thought about this the other day: a couple of decades ago we had actors who were known primarly for their work in the horror genre, from Bruce Cambpell, Candyman's Tony Todd to going back all the way to Christopher Lee. Or even further, to Vincent Price.

These days all the horror movies are filled with generic TV actors who treat the genre as a commercial stepping stool. There's no charisma on screen, no passion for horror, nada. The only genre guys who appear in new horror movies are the old ones from the 80s, and they're only given cameos to give these shitty movies "credibility".

Sheri Moon Zombie is one of the VERY few who could be considered a genre actress, and not because of typecasting but by choice (on a side note, love him or hate him, Rob Zombie is a person who cares deeply about horror). But am I missing something? Is there a new horror actor generation I missed?

Callahan
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
I saw this movie last weekend at the Calgary Underground Film Festival. I was super stoked to see it, and I have to admit, I didn't really care for it too much! I enjoyed Zombie's other films, but for some reason, this one just wasn't coming through to me. I had a hard time following the story, which maybe I'm too dumb to understand or something. The acting also seemed extremely scripted during a bunch of the scenes.

That being said, I am really looking forward to his Broad Street Bullies movie.

slave2thewage
04-24-2013, 11:25 PM
If it's not out near you, it's online. I haven't watched it yet since I'm saving it for Saturday night.