PDA

View Full Version : Kiss

keysersoze
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Love them or hate them.
Big fan here
Older stuff better, eventhough Sonic Boom was very good.

Monster, new album out.
Haven't heard it yet.
I can guess will be same old, but fun music anyway
Live?...KISS, kick so much ass.
One of the best concerts I've been too.

Any fans here?

(TR used a sample of the "live" version of Shout it out loud, for the ending of Starfuckers...Am I right?)

Cat Mom
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I saw them live in Detroit (Cobo Hall and Olympia Stadium) in '77 and '78 (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/1978/olympia-stadium-detroit-mi-73d7be21.html). That's when they should have stopped.

Seeing them on "Good Morning America" yesterday was weird. Kiss ain't Kiss without Ace Frehley.

keysersoze
10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
They've used another painting for Tommy and Eric.
They are not Peter and Ace.
Eventhough Eric Carr (RIP) was SO much better on the kit than Peter.
Creatures? one of their best albums

Cat Mom
10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Anybody can be in the kitty cat costume or behind the Kiss drums, but you can't fake Ace Frehley.

keysersoze
10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I Agree
Also from their solo's albums, Ace's was the best of the 4.

Maximilian
10-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Bought the new album and I like it, it sounds like Kiss.

henryeatscereal
10-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Haven't heard "Monster" but "Sonic Boom" was downright horrible, but i don't care there's nothing this band can do to erase awesome albums like "Destroyer", "Alive I,II and III", "Revenge" and "Dynasty"

PS: Fuck Eric Singer, LOL

aggroculture
10-12-2012, 08:53 PM
70s and 80s KISS=some awesome songs.
I saw them live a couple of years ago at Madison Square Garden and it was a fantastic gig, great showmanship.
Couldn't give two fucks about their new material.
Gene Simmons' cover of Firestarter was pretty fucking ridiculous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiF1w8i9Oc

thevoid99
10-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I like KISS but it ain't KISS w/o Ace & Peter.

henryeatscereal
09-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Haven't heard "Monster" but "Sonic Boom" was downright horrible, but i don't care there's nothing this band can do to erase awesome albums like "Destroyer", "Alive I,II and III", "Revenge" and "Dynasty"

PS: Fuck Eric Singer, LOL
I heard "Monster", what a piece of crap... :(

dlb
03-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Surprised that there is not much discussion going on. Anyway..

I find myself on a huge KISS binge every now and then and even if their newer material is not as good I can find some enjoyment. "sonic boom" was quite good actually, while "monster" might be their worst record to date. I usually end up listening to the ALIVE box set which pretty much sums up what I love about this band. Either way, Paul Stanley remains as an icon to me which leads me to my question:

his book "face to music" comes out in early April and there are some singnings. Does anyone plan on going to any of these and might be able to fetch me a signed copy aswell? Just shoot me a PM! ;)

http://www.paulstanley.com/face-the-music

GulDukat
03-17-2014, 05:39 AM
I really enjoyed Sonic Boom and Monster. I know some people are upset that Ace and Peter are gone, but those are two of their best albums in years. I'm actually quite happy with the current lineup (Gene, Paul, Tommy and Eric) and am glad that they are releasing kick-ass hard rock so late in their career.

Krazy
03-23-2014, 12:40 AM
I looked into the KISS/DL ticket pricing for the hell of it..... and HOLY LIVING FUCK!!!! Are they on crack???? All decent seats are like $500.00-$1,200.00. Anyone here follow them live? Do they try to pull this shit to see how many people bite on VIP and MnG packages, only to end up selling them at a somewhat normal price? This is seriously rediculous- and there aren't many people buying tix. (I mainly checked out the show closest to me- Alpine Valley- along with a few others)

Was one of my favorite bands growing up as a kid, still like some of their music but after growing up a bit (aka getting older and learning something about business) and finding out what money whores they are reLly don't give a fuck about them.

GulDukat
03-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Looks like Mansfield starts at $75 (before fees) and goes up to $1,200.00 (although it looked like they had seats in the first three sections for $200.00.

For $1,200.00 you should get to meet both bands.

I got a great seat at the same venue for $120.00.

thevoid99
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I wonder how much Ace and Peter will charge for a club show? Surely far less than that what Gene and Paul are offering. Fuck those guys.

Krazy
03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
For $1,200.00 you should get to meet both bands.

You should, but you don't. Looks like each band has their own thing going on. Gene should be giving BJ's and swallowing while Paul tickles the asshole with his tongue (or should that be the other way around??) for that kind of coin.

I'm sitting here LMFAO playing with these interactive seating maps and looking at ticket prices, including the obstructed views. What a fucking joke.

Cat Mom
03-23-2014, 08:46 PM
You should, but you don't. Looks like each band has their own thing going on. Gene should be giving BJ's and swallowing while Paul tickles the asshole with his tongue (or should that be the other way around??) for that kind of coin.

I'm sitting here LMFAO playing with these interactive seating maps and looking at ticket prices, including the obstructed views. What a fucking joke.
LOL, and I paid, like, $7.50 to see them in 1977.

GulDukat
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
http://www.bravewords.com/news/220084

ACE FREHLEY Signs With eOne Music; Reveals New Album Title, Street Date

Hot Flashes
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 13:09:46 EST

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductee ACE FREHLEY will release Space Invader, his first new solo album in five years, via Entertainment One Music (eOne Music) on June 24th. The album will include at least nine brand new original songs as well as a cover of THE STEVE MILLER BAND’s 'The Joker'. This album is the first release under Frehley's new universal deal on eOne Music.

Frehley has released an official statement surrounding the exciting news: “Life on Earth has been very good to me, and the body of work I’ve created over the years has withstood the test of time. Today I see no obstacles before me and my creativity has never been more fine tuned. Growing up in an Alien world has enhanced my senses and allowed me to succeed where others would have failed. The best is yet to come!”

Widely known as the original “Space Ace" and founding guitarist for 16 cumulative years (over two tenures) of the multi platinum selling rock band KISS, Frehley is demonstrably the most popular original member. In addition to having the best selling solo album career (vintage or current) among the original foursome, Frehley’s self titled Ace Frehley, released in 1978, went on to sell over one million copies, producing the only Top 40 single, 'New York Groove', from any of the legendary KISS solo albums; (peaking at #13). The massive hit was most recently featured in an episode of cult show Entourage and was also KISS’ second bestselling download in 2012, besting such KISS Army anthems as 'I Was Made For Lovin’ You', 'Beth' and 'Calling Dr. Love' even after 36 years.

Since departing from KISS, Frehley went on to release four more solo albums and one live EP including his most recent effort, Anomaly in 2009, which debuted at #27 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and received a welcoming response among critics.

Ace will participate in the 2014 Revolver Golden Gods Awards show by presenting the Dimebag Darrell "Best Guitarist" Award alongside label-mate ZAKK WYLDE. The awards show will take place on April 23, 2014 at the Club Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. Tickets are on sale now.

Frehley adds: “It’s exciting to finally be part of the Golden Gods, awards and an honor to be part of any Dimebag memorial award. He was a friend, and I know everyone misses him, as do I.”

Jan
03-27-2014, 08:29 PM
LOL, and I paid, like, $7.50 to see them in 1977.

aww...the memories. I paid $4.50 to see them open for ZZ Top in 74..maybe 75. Gene spit "blood" on me. I was pissed! He ruined my shirt!

Cat Mom
03-27-2014, 08:30 PM
aww...the memories. I paid $4.50 to see them open for ZZ Top in 74..maybe 75. Gene spit "blood" on me. I was pissed! He ruined my shirt!
Haha I saw ZZ Top open for Alice Cooper in 74! That cost $4.50!

Jan
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Haha I saw ZZ Top open for Alice Cooper in 74! That cost $4.50!

Alice Cooper was my first concert...Billion Dollar babies tour! Wow I'm old! But I got to see a lot of great bands!
"sorry for derailing topic"

onthewall2983
11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Oh look, Paul Stanley bitching about something. Don't see that everyday (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-stanley-says-kiss-screwed-over-by-thanksgiving-day-parade-20141130).

thevoid99
11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
They were terrible at the parade. It's clear they were lip-syncing which made the performance so awful.

Krazy
11-30-2014, 09:15 PM
I love Gene's axe bass guitars, past and present. Very cool looking.

onthewall2983
11-30-2014, 10:03 PM
They were terrible at the parade. It's clear they were lip-syncing which made the performance so awful.

You make that sound as if you had higher expectations for a rock band performing at a parade.

thevoid99
11-30-2014, 10:53 PM
You make that sound as if you had higher expectations for a rock band performing at a parade.

I didn't have any expectations knowing that they'll do anything for publicity and they made themselves look bad.

The_Prowler
12-07-2014, 03:58 PM
KISS was my first musical obsession before I ever discovered Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. I've seen them close to a dozen times since 98, And while I don't necessarily always approve of their decisions/opinions, etc..., I'm still a major fan and always will be.

Destroyer through Creatures was the absolute best time for them musically (with Revenge being my favorite post 80s record), but I still dig the newer records.

Cat Mom
12-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I loved Kiss Alive! (the first one), when it came out. That period in time was a lot of fun, up through Love Gun. Then it all kind of went downhill, in my opinion. They were HUGE in Detroit, a HUGE live band, because their first 3 albums were pretty fucking boring, really. Then we found out that Kiss Alive! wasn't really live and then our bubble was burst, bleh. It's still a great album, though.

Admittedly, I think watching Gene Simmons' "Family Jewels" made me lose ALL respect for him. Even his kids don't respect him.

I still love Paul Stanley, though. He always complains about something, but he's a typical NY Jewish guy, a nudzh.

botley
12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
The best part of waking up is Paul Stanley's Folgers ad (http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/22/paul_stanley_folgers_commercial_unaired_for_14_yea rs_is_now_online_and_it.html).

The_Prowler
01-03-2015, 06:36 PM
The best part of waking up is Paul Stanley's Folgers ad (http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/22/paul_stanley_folgers_commercial_unaired_for_14_yea rs_is_now_online_and_it.html).
I never knew what was missing from my life until now. As it turns out, it was that.

Good lord, that was horrifically amazing.

GulDukat
07-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Ace Frehley is on tour this fall, had no idea. Going to the Wilbur show. Should be awesome.

thevoid99
07-09-2015, 12:04 AM
I wish he and Peter Criss do a tour together. That way, they could give Paul and Gene a bit of competition.

GulDukat
07-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Ace's solo albums aren't bad. His first post KISS album, Frehley's Comet, is probably better than anything KISS was doing at the time. His last few from the past few years are solid. It will be cool to see the Spaceman in a small venue.

thevoid99
07-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Ace is my favorite member. His solo work is awesome.

GulDukat
09-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Saw Ace last night and he and his band rocked. Great mix of solo work and KISS. The Wilbur is a small venue which is great. Go see him on tour if you are a fan and he comes to your town.

GulDukat
09-08-2017, 12:24 AM
So, apparently Gene Simmons has a new 10 disc boxset coming out, that he will personally hand-deliver to fans...

http://bravewords.com/news/gene-simmons-video-preview-of-10-cd-box-set-the-vault

thevoid99
09-08-2017, 01:19 AM
So, apparently Gene Simmons has a new 10 disc boxset coming out, that he will personally hand-deliver to fans...

http://bravewords.com/news/gene-simmons-video-preview-of-10-cd-box-set-the-vault

For how much? $1000 plus $4000 shipping and handling?

GulDukat
09-08-2017, 07:33 AM
For how much? $1000 plus $4000 shipping and handling?I don't see more than ten people, ww, doing this. Apparently this is not a joke. I mean, who's going to buy this? Even your most hard-core fan can't afford this.

Boots
11-12-2017, 05:47 PM
I saw them last year at an outdoor festival. It was a good show, until the rain started.

Krazy
12-29-2017, 09:12 PM
https://stonecrazydj.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/kiss-unplugged.jpg

eversonpoe
01-02-2018, 02:21 AM
my friend jon gave me Unmasked & Asylum on vinyl for x-mas (he introduced my wife and i to "bad" KISS by showing us the "who wants to be lonely" video so this is like a running joke with us) and i actually really enjoyed both albums. say what you will about 80s KISS but it hits all the right spots for me ;)

thevoid99
01-02-2018, 02:56 AM
my friend jon gave me Unmasked & Asylum on vinyl for x-mas (he introduced my wife and i to "bad" KISS by showing us the "who wants to be lonely" video so this is like a running joke with us) and i actually really enjoyed both albums. say what you will about 80s KISS but it hits all the right spots for me ;)

The non-makeup stuff has its moments yet I always felt that Bruce Kulick never gets enough credit for his work as a guitarist as I liked his playing as he was flamboyant but not overly-showy. Plus, I think Vinnie Vincent's contributions were also overlooked as I heard he might make an appearance at some convention. Vincent, Kulick, and the late Eric Carr don't get enough love as I always feel they've been slighted by Paul and Gene who merely treated them as hired guns.

Krazy
01-02-2018, 07:55 AM
‘80’s KISS was a pretty damn good “hair band”. One of maybe only a few (if even that) that I liked. They transitioned to it pretty well.

henryeatscereal
01-02-2018, 10:47 AM
I don't think "Unmasked" and "Asylum" are "bad Kiss" at all...

"Unmasked", it's a "Kissco", album, but it has some great pop songs and one of their best album-covers.

"80's Kiss" have great albums like "Lick it up" and during that time became better musically, of course this was because Kulick and Eric Carr (even Vinnie Vincent was a great guitarist)
"Asylum" is an underated album, just listen to the intro of "King of the mountain".

GulDukat
11-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Anyone else going to their second "farewell" tour? Got my Boston tix. Also picked up Ace's new disc but haven't listened yet.

Krazy
11-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Anyone else going to their second "farewell" tour? Got my Boston tix. Also picked up Ace's new disc but haven't listened yet.

I plan on going to the Milwaukee show, surprised it’s selling so well. Gonna wait til the day of to get tickets off StubHub or whatever.

My expectations are very low considering what I’ve heard from recent concerts. They were one of my favorite bands for a number of years when I was a kid (even dressed up as Gene on Halloween of I believe 1985 when I was in 3rd grade) and have never seen them. This might be the last chance for me to see them in Milwaukee, not gonna travel out for a show.

GulDukat
11-03-2018, 10:25 AM
I plan on going to the Milwaukee show, surprised it’s selling so well. Gonna wait til the day of to get tickets off StubHub or whatever.

My expectations are very low considering what I’ve heard from recent concerts. They were one of my favorite bands for a number of years when I was a kid (even dressed up as Gene on Halloween of I believe 1985 when I was in 3rd grade) and have never seen them. This might be the last chance for me to see them in Milwaukee, not gonna travel out for a show.Don't worry, this is only the SECOND KISS farewell tour, I'm sure there will be more. New Ace Frehley album Spaceman is decent. I really like the first song "Without you I'm Nothing," which Ace co-wrote with Gene Simmons. Rest of the album falls in the good-but-not great range. His past solo albums were definitely stronger, but if you're a fan you should still check it out.

virushopper
02-11-2019, 04:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pirUCGx.png

bobbie solo
02-12-2019, 01:35 AM
God Maynard is just so completely unfunny. Stick to the serious part of your image.

bobbie solo
02-12-2019, 01:48 AM
Also, this happened and it's awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/james.bishop.1238/videos/2287072827972085/

The show MUST go on.

scotty79
02-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Also, this happened and it's awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/james.bishop.1238/videos/2287072827972085/

The show MUST go on.

i saw that on fb as well, itís a tribute band called hairball, going by other pics they cover alice cooper, ozzy and some others

Krazy
02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
i saw that on fb as well, it’s a tribute band called hairball, going by other pics they cover alice cooper, ozzy and some others

They do a great job of In Flames!...

(sorry, had to. I’ll leave now)

Halo Infinity
08-21-2019, 01:50 PM
I just saw KISS last night and absolutely enjoyed myself. Assuming that this is truly the very last tour as The End of the Road Tour, it's also my very first and very last time seeing KISS live. If only I had a few people or even just one person to go with, but the "last tour ever hype" got me sucked into it. It was also cool to see people of all ages, including families enjoying the concert. (As it would for any band that's been around for a while. It's one thing to see it on video, but also another to see it in real life too. And I always loved newer generations getting into older stuff anyway, and just having it passed down from generation to generation.)

-I figured that I might as well also include how I got into KISS.-

Ironically and unfortunately blasphemous or say, controversial to most fans, it was the 1980s albums that won me over KISS, as well as Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley. For obvious reasons, there are certain ways that Gene Simmons can be off-putting even in spite of me actually agreeing with him from time to time, but at the same time, there it was very uplifting to also know about his life story, which makes me happy for him as well. I also didn't see myself relating that much to Paul Stanley until I listened to his conversation with Joe Rogan. I'm actually still rather new to the band, even if I've heard of them since 1998, but I have been searching for more and more information about the history of KISS. Just listening to all the discussions, debates and speculation over Ace Frehley and Peter Criss piqued my interest, especially with the likes of Eddie Trunk.

Oh, and the albums that won me over were Lick It Up and Animalize, and then I checked out the other albums from that point on, and backward. I don't know what it was, but the 1980s version of KISS appealed to my tastes so much quicker. And not that I didn't appreciate the 1970s KISS, but it's definitely growing on me, especially now that I heard them live. Of course, the older performances with the original line-up will always be the best, but now knowing I know, I'm sure I would've loved it. The Alive! version of Rock And Roll All Nite also won me over due to the solo.

I also had to skip around the discography a bit, but also got Crazy Nights, but then also got KISS to Destroyer. Speaking of which, and the size of the discography aside, it certainly taught me not to always force myself to collect and listen to albums in chronological order all the time, or how not having the original line-up at all times should be a deterrent for me when it comes to enjoying albums and bands altogether.

Aside from that, I'm extremely grateful and joyful to have seen Paul and Gene in the flesh at least one time in my life, while also thoroughly enjoying the parts of Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer. Oh, and as much as I'm well-aware of pyrotechnics/fireworks being very much as part of KISS shows, I don't think I'll ever completely get used to it, but at the same time, it helped me really get it. (Since watching it on video is obviously just not the same.) And also right up there with also being there to see Cold Gin, Heaven's On Fire, Lick It Up and Rock And Roll All Nite live.

With that being said, I don't blame the KISS Army to have a lot of skeptics and speculation concerning their farewell tours, since they also claimed to be quitting back in 2000, but at this point, I could understand and accept why that would be so should it be 100% true this time around at these very parts of their lives.

And then there's also the constant conflicting and controversial topics regarding Ace and Peter as well all know. I also figured that this is exactly why aside from still familiarizing myself with their body of work, the stories and overall history of the band will without any doubts in my mind be bound to pique my interest for quite some time.

ickyvicky
08-21-2019, 02:52 PM
I just saw KISS last night and absolutely enjoyed myself. Assuming that this is truly the very last tour as The End of the Road Tour, it's also my very first and very last time seeing KISS live.

I also saw them for the very first time back in March. It was a lot of fun and the place was packed!

Krazy
08-21-2019, 07:10 PM
KISS is a very under-rated “80’s style hair band”. They were better then most of their contemporaries trying that thing back in the day. It just seemed to work for them at that time.

Creatures to Lick it Up to Animalized was damn good stuff back in the day IMHO.

Halo Infinity
08-24-2019, 06:37 PM
It's hard to put this into words, but being reminded of God Gave Rock 'N' Roll II cover by Argent as it was played back as background music at the end of the concert gets me emotional when I now listen to it, but for different reasons. I'm not a long-time fan by even any stretch of the imagination, but it just cut right through me. I need some moments to process this and allow it to pass. It was very bittersweet as it reminded me how short life really is, and to appreciate things while they're around and how we only know what we have until it's gone as that cliche goes. Speaking of imagination, I can't imagine just how much more cutting it is for adoring and loyal fans that have also been around since the 1970s and 1980s. I also wanted to say that I always thought that the concept of the KISS Army was awesome, and just checked out the Detroit Rock City movie.

But anyway, I'm just still very thankful that I didn't let this concert pass me by.

GulDukat
08-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Has anyone heard the KISS covers album titled Hard to Believe? It has bands like Nirvana, The Melvins, Skinyard, etc. Really friggin' good. I almost like this as much as I like the actual KISS originals.

Krazy
08-24-2019, 10:13 PM
I didn’t know this existed til now, looks like it’s on the YouTube. Will have to listen.

Would also love to hear Trents cover of Love Gun. I’m sure a quick search of that would tell us why it never made it- been awhile since I ran past it on here.