PDA

View Full Version : The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Pages : 1 [2]

ltrandazzo
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Here is Vertigo's adaptation of the book. Denise Mina, the author, said that Lisbeth was going to be tougher and not as attractive. Lee Bermejo, the cover artists, disagrees.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/01/13/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-graphic-novel-to-hit-shelves-in-november-2012/

Mind you, I'm not complaining.

aggroculture
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
That looks so wrong. I really hate that mainstream comic look.

cashpiles (closed)
01-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Came in to this without seeing past versions or reading the books. The movie is like "creeper" weed. Nothing is really grabbing you at first, but as the film progresses you find yourself becoming fully immersed in it. I must say that the Lisbeth character is very sexy. She plays a solid character, but her insanity aspects are too controlled. In her revenge scene she could have been much more out of control and menacing. But maybe she was just supposed to be very calculating and that was intentional. The two scenes where Lisbeth is victimized are very poweful and I wanted to murder the victimizer myself. I really love the final final scene. Trent and Atticus did a solid job with the film score. I'm convinced that their success with film scoring is not a one time deal. Overall it was a solid film.

laci
01-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Had the opportunity to see the movie before premier last night. The movie opens in Hungary today. Probably the best cinema experience I've ever had. Brilliant.

Here is the Hungarian poster:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2F7jdwdz_c8/Tsf625U8toI/AAAAAAAABpQ/v8MtUZtZsjA/s1600/13839789_dd8cf5c99f4e4e289e7374b7e9b91346_xl.jpg

fillow
01-19-2012, 04:43 AM
The title is kinda short in Hungarian. Does translation match English or Swedish title?

laci
01-19-2012, 05:15 AM
^
Nope, unfortunately. It means "The Tattooed Girl". Sounds uncool, I know. :)

Torgo
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Cracked article titled 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' in less than five minutes. This is obviously filled with spoilers, people. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19671_the-girl-with-dragon-tattoo-in-under-5-minutes.html)

Lutz
01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd place this in line with other enjoyable glossy Hollywood high end thrillers like RED DRAGON.

Missed the character and great acting from the original.

Lisbeth was just unhappy Bjork.

onthewall2983
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I disagree. It's not Fincher's masterpiece, but it's still above most standard Hollywood thrillers. The Swedish film was good, but I felt it suffered in ways that made it seem much more like a Hollywood production, especially the ending.

Blu-ray hits March 20th (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8078)

Lutz
01-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Well I can go into detail and I think the original did most things better;

- The set up of the characters and the believable relationship. Having Lisbeth solve the clue in Harriet's diary and then contact Mikael establishes her intelligence/problem solving and their relationship because she is following his life after the investigation. She also risks herself in this regard by potentially making him aware of the unethical work she was hired to do - establishing more about her character as well. At this stage in the movie the relationship has already been built up to a large amount based on Lisbeth's decisions and they haven't even met!

- Having Lisbeth and Mikael work together by going to the police stations to slowly reveal the murders builds both their relationship and the story of the murders. It engages the viewers! My memory of this in the Fincher version is a ten minute montage of Lisbeth riding back and forth, a few one liners with police officers and then a slide show explaining away that part of the story. This part of the movie is important and fleshed out in the Swedish movie. Fincher? MONTAGE.

- By this stage in the original movie it's been made clear Lisbeth has an interest in Mikael after the investigation and they have spent a good amount of time traveling the country to solve a murder mystery. In Fincher's version they have only been in a room together a couple of times - do they sleep together because Daniel Craig and Roony Mara are hot?

- Also because Fincher's version doesn't establish the characters relationship it makes you question just how much Lisbeth would want to have hot attractive people sex after being brutally raped? The original cushioned this by having a live in girlfriend (I don't know how they are going to write around this which was a more important plot point in the sequel) and by firmly establishing a character relationship. Lisbeth clearly enjoys physical intimacy with other people in the Swedish version.

- The good things in Fincher's movie come at the end. Daniel Craig looks totally hot being tortured and I suffer envy at the killers cool pad. Another montage detailing Lisbeth's embezzlement scheme is entertaining but never reaches the high of a really well done montage - see Brian De Palma King of Montage.

- The traditional romance shoehorned into the end of the movie was glaring and poorly done (see all previous points). Lisbeth's need for social approval and change being the motivation for her relationship is the antithesis of the Lisbeth character.

- The script was awful. You can tell your script is awful when the entire first act hinges on the audiences sole empathy with the cat. The Swedish had character dialogue while Fincher had the actors spouting exposition with the only character dialogue being Lisbeth who was reduced to speaking totally in one liners. I hate talking during movies but several times I repeated some of the more outstanding gems and NAUT, SCHTEPH and I laughed out loud when Lisbeth says WE WORK WELL TOGETHER while sitting in a sink. While I don't think this is a bad way to write a script I do think that it certainly wasn't played with the necessary aplomb - see again Brian De Palma and see Samuel Fuller for movies that emotionally manipulate their audiences through animals.

- The production design was rubbish. The Swedish film showed what it was doing and did it well while Fincher's version hinted at what it was doing and covered it up with gloss. A good example is Lisbeth's costumes. In the Swedish version you can clearly see what she is wearing and how it interacts with her body and it makes her sexy - you see her riding her bike in full leathers and several states of undress between while she walks around. In Fincher's version she was just wearing - wait what was she wearing? Why did they even bother actually piercing Roony Mara when I don't recall a single shot in the movie that established the piercings as real? I remember in the original several times thinking to myself - oh I think those piercings are real and don't they look awful! The original established a real physical presence within the movie. I would rather watch a good director on a medium budget fully exhibit his actors and environment well than watch someone who doesn't seem to have any idea how to present these visceral elements cover them up with slick film making. Another good example of this is the train station fight scene with Lisbeth - in the original there is a strong physical feeling because the camera gets in there with the people showing them but in Fincher's version it is all about composition and showing it from a distance. Even the killers cool pad I mentioned earlier was frustrating because it only gave you an IDEA about the setup it didn't really SHOW the setup.

Lutz
01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
The Swedish film was good, but I felt it suffered in ways that made it seem much more like a Hollywood production, especially the ending.

The original ending wouldn't have worked because Vanger was reduced to a caricature repeatedly telling the audience MY FAMILY IS EVIL. Personally I thought the scene where he is reunited with Harriet while they wailed and gnashed their teeth was the absolute low point of this movie.

Also, personally, the reason I found the ending to the original movie so satisfying was because I fully expecting the detective novel cliche of an open ending where you don't find out what happened to Harriet (at least in this movie there is a bridging scene where the two main characters lay in bed saying - oh but we didn't solve the original mystery why don't we spend the next twenty minutes of the movie doing that!).

october_midnight
01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Why did they even bother actually piercing Roony Mara when I don't recall a single shot in the movie that established the piercings as real?

While I agree with some of your points, this one honestly made me chuckle a bit. If that's something that will detract one's viewing of a movie, I'd probably tell that person how awful it must be sitting through a movie and nitpicking it THAT deep...talk about not letting yourself enjoy something due to the most trivial of things. So the fact that there was no scene to 'establish her piercings as real' detracted from the overall quality of a film? Next up, a scene from T2 not fully unraveling the mystery of liquid metal and thus ruining it for me. I know that sounds like a ridiculous comparison, but for me it's not too far off. Dislike on the cinematography, costuming, etc. all day but there's a certain point where you're setting yourself up to dislike something to the point of wasting your time and/or money.

Lutz
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
While I agree with some of your points, this one honestly made me chuckle a bit. If that's something that will detract one's viewing of a movie, I'd probably tell that person how awful it must be sitting through a movie and nitpicking it THAT deep...talk about not letting yourself enjoy something due to the most trivial of things. So the fact that there was no scene to 'establish her piercings as real' detracted from the overall quality of a film? Next up, a scene from T2 not fully unraveling the mystery of liquid metal and thus ruining it for me. I know that sounds like a ridiculous comparison, but for me it's not too far off. Dislike on the cinematography, costuming, etc. all day but there's a certain point where you're setting yourself up to dislike something to the point of wasting your time and/or money.

Maybe I didn't express the whole point I was making there clearly because it seems to have become bogged down in the examples I was using to illustrate it. The preference I had for the original movie was that it viscerally grounded it's reality.

The example you gave of T2 is an extremely good one because it allows me to give a good comparison. The difference that I am talking about is the difference between T2 and Terminator Salvation. James Cameron is a better filmmaker because he can portray the physicality of his environment and the fact that McG is completely unable to do this in Salvation doesn't exactly ruin the movie but it does take it down a few notches in comparison.

orestes
01-20-2012, 10:16 PM
What, so you didn't notice Lisbeth's nipple piercings when she was riding Blomkvist? ;)

aggroculture
01-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Couldn't keep my eyes off them. Or her.

Deadpool
01-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Maybe I didn't express the whole point I was making there clearly because it seems to have become bogged down in the examples I was using to illustrate it. The preference I had for the original movie was that it viscerally grounded it's reality.

The best scenes in the Swedish movie are with Bjurman. They're great because, like you said, they feel very grounded in reality and are extremely visceral. I remember watching it for the first time, before I'd read the book, and being seriously riveted and disturbed. For me, that's the extent of my preference for the 2009 film. I'd like the Swedish movie a lot more if the ending wasn't bullshit. FUCK the Swedish movie's ending - I don't mind the resolution, that's fine for the most part (and maybe that's what onthewall2983 is talking about) - but the last shot in particular is just crap. The tone is completely off, and contradicts that of the entire rest of the movie. Sadly, my distaste for it has only festered over time. It's bland and safe. It nearly renders the power of the first half meaningless. I don't feel anything when I see it. I can transition back to real life in seconds - in other words, I'm not shaken by the end. For a film that features such intense violence/sexuality/sexual violence, that's saying something. It feels like a cheat and it really casts an ugly shadow on an otherwise good film.

Fincher's version (and this isn't good or bad) is definitely more sleek, poetic, and artistic. Is that right for the story? I don't know, but it worked for me, and Fincher & co. undoubtedly elevate the material, arguably to a fault. I actually really like Michael Nyqvist as Blomkvist (despite him being completely overshadowed by Rapace), but after seeing Craig's take on the character, he seems less interesting and significantly less charismatic.

I can't say I fully agree with your other criticisms: Fincher clearly establishes Lisbeth's intelligence on multiple occasions, even if he doesn't construct her relationship with Mikael in a way you find believable. I like that Mikael's daughter solves Harriet's diary (like she inadvertently does in the book) and Lisbeth doesn't, because it draws nice parallels between the Henrik/Harriet relationship. That's fascinating to me, and is totally absent from the Swedish movie if I remember correctly. Steve Zaillian was smart to touch on this in his script.

You say "Lisbeth clearly enjoys physical intimacy with other people in the Swedish version." She does in Fincher's, too. Maybe it's a fucked-up coping mechanism, but that's consistent in both movies. I think it's pretty clearly established that Lisbeth enjoys sex, and is generally physically intimate in the Fincher flick. Did anyone else who saw it here think otherwise? I also have no idea what you mean when you say Lisbeth's relationship with Mikael is motivated by a need for social acceptance. Are you talking about her relationship with Palmgren and how she may have sought his approval? If so, how is this the antithesis to the character of Lisbeth?

I think Fincher, Zaillian, and Mara all did a great job of humanizing Salander while maintaining some of the enigma factor that makes her interesting to so many people. She's compelling and magnetic in the Swedish movie, but not relatable. Should she be relatable? Not necessarily, but that kind of empathy most often leads to an emotional response, and that's what I'm looking for when I watch movies.

I'm not trying to change your mind on anything and I see where you're coming from, but flawed as both the Dragon Tattoo films are, I think the 2009 versions is far less affecting.

bobbie solo
01-21-2012, 02:27 AM
tldr sorry

onthewall2983
01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
FUCK the Swedish movie's ending - I don't mind the resolution, that's fine for the most part (and maybe that's what onthewall2983 is talking about) - but the last shot in particular is just crap. The tone is completely off, and contradicts that of the entire rest of the movie. Sadly, my distaste for it has only festered over time. It's bland and safe. It nearly renders the power of the first half meaningless. I don't feel anything when I see it. I can transition back to real life in seconds - in other words, I'm not shaken by the end. For a film that features such intense violence/sexuality/sexual violence, that's saying something. It feels like a cheat and it really casts an ugly shadow on an otherwise good film.

It did feel contradictory, but it also felt like there was too much at the end, or multiple endings if you like. And by giving it that ending, it almost felt like an apology for the first half being so dark. And that led to a jumbled sequel I never bothered to finish after watching 30 minutes of. But here David whittled it down quite a bit, and keeping it all in Europe made it feel more cohesive. And there is no sense of an apology at anytime, because David never coddles to the audience. He brought you into this world, and stayed there throughout.

Elke
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, I just saw it and not having read the books or seen the Swedish movies, and having heard a lot of praise heaped upon how raw and fucked-up the source material apparently is and how awesome the character of Salander... I was both blown away and let down.

I think the things I loved about the movie are probably the things people who loved other versions will dislike: I LOVED Daniel Craig's performance, it had just enough of an off-beat feel to it to not make him a bland moral compass to the movie's other characters, which he easily could have become. I also loved Mara's performance, more than I liked her character, and I'm glad there was some room for empathy because in a movie this low on dialogue she could have easily become too cold. I liked that there was humor to it, releasing some of the pressure. I also loved that it was a very light movie, and that very little happened in the dark - this kind of source material usually ends up looking like perpetual rain and night and given Fincher's penchant for that I was pleasently surprised that it didn't turn out that way. And the music was brilliant, though slightly intrusive at times but mainly because I kept recognizing typical Reznor chords or stylings.

So it was nothing like what people told me it would be: it wasn't as moody or depressing or bleak as it easily could have been, Salander isn't the best female character ever, and it wasn't incredibly clever either story-wise. BUT I thought it had gorgeous cinematography, I thought the performances were pitch-perfect (a highlight for me was the interrupted-sex scene) and the story did suck you in gradually.

onthewall2983
01-22-2012, 03:03 PM
This really shows that Daniel Craig needs to stay out of the action genre, outside of the Bond pictures. He does so much better in character-driven things like this, than in something like Cowboys & Aliens where his guy was really just a cut-out of Western cliches (much like everyone was). And that's the brilliance of his James Bond is that he made this iconic character more down-to-earth and human than some before him have.

Deadpool
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
It did feel contradictory, but it also felt like there was too much at the end, or multiple endings if you like. And by giving it that ending, it almost felt like an apology for the first half being so dark. And that led to a jumbled sequel I never bothered to finish after watching 30 minutes of. But here David whittled it down quite a bit, and keeping it all in Europe made it feel more cohesive. And there is no sense of an apology at anytime, because David never coddles to the audience. He brought you into this world, and stayed there throughout.

Agreed, there's no backing off at any point - whether it's an unthinkable rape or blissful sex - Fincher presents the highs and lows truthfully without abandoning weight of the overall narrative. I hadn't even thought of the fact that the Fincher ending was all in Europe - nice observation. That was a good way of keeping with the established setting and tone (even the color palette), while still showing lengthy travel. I agree with the comments about Craig, too. His strength is definitely with roles like Blomkvist. I'd really love to see him continue with the character.

Like you said, Dragon Tattoo probably isn't Fincher's masterpiece, but it's still quite remarkable. If nothing else, I think it's the most emotionally potent of his films, and that scores big points with me. I've seen it 3 times now, and I've actually become more and more emotional each time. I think there was just the right amount of levity as well: the use of Enya, the interrupted sex, and especially Blomkvist's comparatively slow computer skills when looking for photos on his computer. I also love the line from Lisbeth "I have a very high metabolism, I can't put on weight." Every time I've seen it, including the 8-min. trailer (which I saw with a massive audience), I've been the only one who chuckles. It may just be Rooney's hyper delivery that does it for me, but I love it. I also love her "Hey-heys" which are insanely cute. Is that a common informal greeting in Sweden?

onthewall2983
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM
It isn't, he already made Zodiac. I think the only time I chuckled was when Blomkvist asks to go home during the Enya scene, and pretty sure I had the same reaction to that line in the Swedish adaptation.

schteph
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
This movie sucked!

nvr_mind
01-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Great insight there, buddy! ;)

schteph
01-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Great insight there, buddy! ;)

I am passing on my opinion. I'm not going to waste my time on this thread of fap to go into further details.

Canuckle
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I am passing on my opinion. I'm not going to waste my time on this thread of fap to go into further details.

Interpretation: I'm not willing to go back a couple pages and read some of the criticism some people have offered but merely want to stir the pot

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Suppose instead schteph had come in and said "This movie was amazing!" Would there be a similar response demanding an explanation? (A: No, of course not. Duh.)

Zipfinator
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Suppose instead schteph had come in and said "This movie was amazing!" Would there be a similar response demanding an explanation? (A: No, of course not. Duh.)

But that's not what he said.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Gold star analysis.

ltrandazzo
01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
You guys obviously can't smell a troll when it shows up, can you.

Lutz
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Also, asides from being very tacky, it's next to impossible to bleed after anal intercourse.

sheepdean
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Rooney Mara up for the Oscar, fuck yeah.

Lutz
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Rooney Mara up for the Oscar, fuck yeah.

I wonder how much money Sony paid?

Anyway Tilda Swinton deserves to win for We Need To Talk About Kevin.

peter
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
so, watched a screener yesterday, already knowing about what reviews have been praising and complaining, knowing about the general consensus here on ETS, having seen the swedish versions and having read the book. i.e. well-prepared.

first of all, as much as I absolutely loved TR/AR's score, in context of the movie it was overdone. There were many parts where a more reduced use of the score would done the atmosphere much more justice. It sometimes seemed as if they were trying to shove the awesomeness of the score down the viewers throat. I get it the score is fucking beautiful, but within the movie, less would have been more.

I loved the pacing, and yes it did well enough to never make me bored.

I would have loved for Fincher to make more of his own version of the story and cut out much of the bullshit that bothered me throughout the book and the swedish version. for example why not start the film with lizbeth and mikael getting to know each other, blend in some retrospectives to see where they're coming from, but focus more on the hunt. not the the rape-scene and the revenge-rape-scene weren't powerpul, but I always felt for a film version either focus on that OR on the solving of the crime and only show glimpses of those horrific events.

dominik
01-27-2012, 02:06 AM
I didn't like that he changed the ending, otherwise a very good movie. Felt more professional than the swedish one, but there are parts that does the swedish one better.

score was awesome of course, although i kind of get that he didn't get an oscar nomination and somehow it felt like the same 3 songs were repeated over the whole movie. don't know if that is a bad thing though. Maybe just a sign that the score is very well integrated into the movie.

onthewall2983
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
New York Times interview with cinematographer Jeff Cronenweth (http://video.nytimes.com/video/2012/01/26/movies/awardsseason/100000001313070/through-a-glass-darkly.html). He talks about his work with David, and his difficulty shooting in the bleak Swedish weather.

Banned in India. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-fincher-refuses-cut-girl-285460)

blassster
02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.wdsspr.ru/now/00127/

Came across this when trying to find a higher res version of one of the GDT promo images for a wallpaper, and there's a few on there (click on the Russian text under the image to download rather than the image for high res). There's some other cool stuff, like 10867x5433/535mb and 8150x11929/700mb photoshop assets for 2 Russian posters. The posters have the text is on its own layer, so you can have the art by itself in a couple of clicks if desired. I put the poster photoshop files on my dropbox for fast download speeds, as most people might be interested in these over anything else. Might be a grey area to share the assets, but they're already publicly available on the Russian site. The backdrop image is flattened to one layer anyway. Here are the links:

PS file in RAR (301mb) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/126_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo_6000x3000mm_LAYERS. rar)
Text-free JPG (26mb) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/126_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo_6000x3000mm_LAYERS. jpg)

PS file in RAR (399mb) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/126_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo_680x1000mm_poster_l ayers.rar)
Text-free JPG (42mb) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/126_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo_680x1000mm_poster_l ayers.jpg)

16:10 cropped wallpaper versions of the landscape poster from my first dropbox link. Unsure if this exact image already exists somewhere as a wallpaper download:
1680x1050 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/1680_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo.jpg)
1920x1200 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/1920_sony_pictures_girl_w_tatoo.jpg)

Video stuff: There's some electronic press kit videos on there and very brief interviews from Fincher and Mara, which I believe were recorded before the screenings. There's also 6 or so MXF files, ranging from 700MB to 1.7GB, which I'm guessing are source files used for the trailers or something else. I don't know how to open MXF files, everything was individually zipped so I had to find this found out after downloading them, if someone else was interested maybe they could give it a shot. They're related to Avid video editing tools, I gave them a shot in premiere but they didn't work. I recommend using a download manager like jdownloader to get the larger stuff since this site is slow (between 40 and 50kb/s for me).

onthewall2983
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Updated special features for Blu-Ray (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8078).

RocketScience
02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I might be a little late on this but here goes.

So I, not being very Swedish and all, had a discussion about this film with my oh so very Swedish friend. She tells me that the tagline "what lies hidden in snow, comes forth in the thaw" reminded her of a Swedish proverb, Det som gömmer sig i snö kommer fram i tö. As the translation is quite literal, it struck me that the tagline was taken from this very Swedish proverb. Huzzah!

ManOfAtom
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Video stuff: There's some electronic press kit videos on there and very brief interviews from Fincher and Mara, which I believe were recorded before the screenings. There's also 6 or so MXF files, ranging from 700MB to 1.7GB, which I'm guessing are source files used for the trailers or something else. I don't know how to open MXF files, everything was individually zipped so I had to find this found out after downloading them, if someone else was interested maybe they could give it a shot. They're related to Avid video editing tools, I gave them a shot in premiere but they didn't work. I recommend using a download manager like jdownloader to get the larger stuff since this site is slow (between 40 and 50kb/s for me).

You can get the codecs from AVIDs site, you might struggle getting premiere on a PC to open them though...

blassster
02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
You can get the codecs from AVIDs site, you might struggle getting premiere on a PC to open them though...

I tried because Adobe's site said it could import this type of file, maybe I was doing it wrong. I'm more of a Photoshop man, I didn't try too hard but I'm not too bummed about these files. The full movie is out in a month. I don't buy many Blu-Rays but will get this one for sure.

I ordered the UK version of the Swedish Extended series as well, because the UK version has BD50 discs (with double the video bitrate and 24-bit audio). I figured cramming 180 minutes into each disc on the North American BD25 releases would be pushing it too far, and importing it ended up being cheaper at the time. UK version is Region B locked but regions don't matter with the right software.

Amaro
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Can't wait for this on Blu-ray.

Findus
02-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Interviews, concept art, and info about the opening title sequence:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/2012/02/21/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/ (http://www.artofthetitle.com/2012/02/21/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/)

Hava
02-23-2012, 04:30 AM
cool,thank u for sharing, I also like playing games ,such as

UFO Online (http://www.dotmmo.com/hidden-haunts-6845.html),

Grimlands (http://www.dotmmo.com/age-of-wushu-6416.html),

Nexus Conflict (http://www.dotmmo.com/nexus-conflict-7099.html) and

world of warplanes (http://www.dotmmo.com/world-of-warplanes-2302.html)

onthewall2983
02-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't think so, now that the complete list of special features have come out. David Prior, who works with Fincher on this stuff put the rumors to rest himself on that issue

There's only one Blu-ray release and it has all the bonus material. The only difference between the foreign and domestic versions are the menus because the ones I did for the US were too difficult to localize.

sentient02970
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Interviews, concept art, and info about the opening title sequence:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/2012/02/21/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/ (http://www.artofthetitle.com/2012/02/21/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/)
Love this website. But am I the last person on earth to know about Fincher and Heavy Metal??

NIN64
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Just won the Oscar for editing!

botley
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Just won the Oscar for editing!
And just lost two (sound editing & mixing) to Hugo. I guess my hopes for it sweeping the post-production categories have been dashed.

Goldfoot
02-28-2012, 03:28 AM
I didn't like that he changed the ending, otherwise a very good movie. Felt more professional than the swedish one, but there are parts that does the swedish one better.

I suppose you mean in comparison to the Swedish film? Fincher's ending is actually quite like the novel's, except it's missing the part with the cabin and everything that goes with it. Other than that, the differences are pretty negligible. I recently read the book, watched the Swedish film, and then Fincher's (for the third time) and I like Fincher's the best. That's even apart from my obvious biases that come with Fincher and Reznor related projects. I actually found myself disliking the Swedish film for a number of reasons, and that would be the case even if the Fincher film didn't exist.

Lutz
02-28-2012, 05:00 AM
They didn't need to write the original social worker into this movie because his role is used to play off very specific themes in the sequel.

Also since Lisbeth told Mikael about her history at the end it kind of ruins the absolutely critical moment where Mikael finds out her history for himself. It also actually destroys the motivation for him to find the information that leads him elsewhere...

I think someone pointed out on the old forum that the crucial part of the original movie is where Mikael says to Lisbeth "I don't know anything about you and you know everything about me" and she replied "That's the way it is". Thematically that is the character arch of the trilogy with the first movie Lisbeth investigates and helps Mikael and in the next two Mikael investigates and helps Lisbeth. With Lisbeth being open to Mikael they aren't following that either.

DVYDRNS
03-03-2012, 08:28 PM
drip...
drip...

hd.. drip...

jezstyle
03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/34nqno1.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/nb40te.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2z4bd6p.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2iqe6b7.jpg

jezstyle
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Disc specs and 1920x1080 screencaps -> http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_blu-ray.htm

Image: Shot digitally with the Red Epic, and Red One MX cameras, David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is, predictably, very dark. The Sony Blu-ray looks magnificent due to the entire film being put to one dual-layered BD disc - almost filling it at over 49 Gig. The only supplement sharing the feature disc is the Fincher commentary. So the 2.5 hour film has a very high bitrate and none of the weaknesses (flaring) of production format are prevalent. On the contrary the detail - especially in close-ups - is extremely impressive. Some of the interior shots have a golden-yellow hue - but I expect this is intentional. The contrast exhibits healthy, piercingly pitch, black levels that create a noir-supportive aura for the viewing experience. This Blu-ray has a no video weaknesses that I could detect - it is flawless. The image quality is a triumph for a film that utilizes the powerfully dark visuals as one of its most formidable attributes.

Audio: The audio - a DTS-HD Master 5.1 track at 2344 kbps is powerful in the intended areas. In a couple of occasions it did tend to blow away the dialogue portion - which seemed to require a volume hike - but other than that this track is solid. Great effects crisply reach the rear speakers from squealing motorcycles to Enya to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross intense original track. It's all good and fills the Home theater space with aggression, depth and subtle effects. There are optional subtitles and my Momitsu (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/hardwarereviews/momitsu_bdp-899.htm) has identified it as being a region 'A'-locked.

Extras: You have to respect the passion and commitment that David Fincher adds to his filmmaking. It is always refreshing to hear someone who really knows their shit. The commentary allows Fincher to indulge in specifics or production and details that only he would be privy to. Fans will, undoubtedly, be highly impressed. This is the one extra on disc one. The second Blu-ray disc (which, strangely, is region FREE) has a cornucopia of supplements focusing on various aspects of the film from the characters to post-production. It is highly detailed but a bit of a maze to navigate through. In all honestly, I have not sampled all the second disc has to offer - it's dizzying. There is a third disc - labeled as a Sony DVD-R (it is dual-layered) with, humorously, what appears to be hand-written - via a felt marker - the title "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". The DVD has the SD feature and Fincher commentary.

BOTTOM LINE: This wasn't much of a retelling as a different stylistic approach to the film. It works very well and although the original (reviewed HERE (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_blu-ray.htm)) was fabulous - this is, predictably, more polished. Fincher was not about to be bested. The Blu-ray is a very sexy package and won't disappoint those who have already viewed the Noomi Rapace trilogy. I feel like watching it again - a few hours after my first viewing. This is great Home Theater fodder. Strongly recommended!

Gary Tooze
March 6th, 2012

richardp
03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Fuck, that packaging looks great. Loving the "burned" disc.

Lutz
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
That is great packaging. Makes me wish I liked the movie more.

Is it a normal size BLU case? (Looks taller to me.)

Reznor2112
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Its looking like all of the blu ray releases have different disc art...including the photo posted above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIkSAzwxzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOqzKyOC7Jk&feature=related

JessicaSarahS
03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Can't wait to pick this up. Loved the movie. The packaging looks great!

NIN64
03-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Strange. I just watched both of those un-boxing videos above, and noticed that disc 1 has different label art in each video. . .

Edit: Also just noticed that the disc 2 artwork in both videos is different than the disc 2 pictures featured a few posts above in this page. Wonder if there are differen't versions? Are the completionists on this board going to have to double/triple dip?

jessamineny
03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
The three-disc Blu-ray pre-order is down to $19.99 on Amazon.

Reznor2112
03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Strange. I just watched both of those un-boxing videos above, and noticed that disc 1 has different label art in each video. . .

Edit: Also just noticed that the disc 2 artwork in both videos is different than the disc 2 pictures featured a few posts above in this page. Wonder if there are differen't versions? Are the completionists on this board going to have to double/triple dip?

You def did NOT read the remark I made when I posted both of those videos...did you?

NIN64
03-18-2012, 01:12 PM
You def did NOT read the remark I made when I posted both of those videos...did you?

Guilty as charged. . .

trollmanen
03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
So do any of the extras cover Trent and Atticus at all?

Reznor2112
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
No, which really pissed me off...

eversonpoe
03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
just picked it up from Best Buy for $20 (and i had $15 worth of certificates). the packaging looks nice. i really like that the DVD looks like a DVD-R with a hand-written label. it's a cute touch. not that i need the DVD or the stupid Ultra-Violet copy.

i'm also a bit bummed that there's no extras about the soundtrack, but it's not the end of the world. i still haven't watched any of the special features on the social network blu-ray, and i got that the day it came out, too.

Blackbookpress1984
03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
that came out today? sweet!! I know what Ill be picking up tomrorrow. (stupid work)

fernandopassion
03-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Yea, so after me and my friend both open our blu-ray copies, we discovered that the print on the discs vary. There's that little voice in me screaming "you have to get ALL the disc types!!!" that i'm beating down with a shovel.

The extra's disc is bomb. Watched a good portion of all the interviews and stuff. Pretty sure that the interviews confirm the sequels if it hasn't been confirmed elsewhere.

Arkadin
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm disappointed by the lack of TR/AR and the lack of the super long trailer.

october_midnight
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Pretty sure that the interviews confirm the sequels if it hasn't been confirmed elsewhere.

Yeah, in the interview with Rooney Mara about her finally nabbing the lead role, it shows the official press release which says that Fincher will be 'directing the three-film adaptation' of the trilogy. I'm sure if the first one hella flopped they'd possibly reconsider, but I honestly can't it not happening at this point.

NIN64
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
The commentary for the "Hard Copy" viral video on disc 2 confirms that Trent was involved in the online promotion for the movie.

Blackbookpress1984
03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Going to pick up my copy of the dvd today. Interesting that preorders are still open for the vinyl. Wonder how many were actually ordered.

richardp
03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
So what all pictures did everyone get on their discs? I got a closeup of Mikael, and what looks like a screen grab from the Immigrant Song music video.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-21-2012, 11:55 PM
So what all pictures did everyone get on their discs? I got a closeup of Mikael, and what looks like a screen grab from the Immigrant Song music video.

I think we got the same pair of discs. Also, I'm sooo glad I got this for $20 bucks on Amazon. I'll have to sit and watch the movie and extras sometime this weekend...

NIN64
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I lol'd.

From amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Daniel-Craig/dp/B003Y5H5HO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332455716&sr=8-4):

It has come to our attention that there has been some confusion on the DVD disc art as it appears to look like a bootlegged copy. Please note that the disc art is in fact the final approved disc art provided to us by the filmmakers.

demgoth
03-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Too bad (as far as I know..) that there is no deluxe DVD version with the supplements. Not everyone has Blu-Ray.. perhaps it's time to upgrade when you're favorite films are no longer getting a full DVD treatment..

onthewall2983
03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
AFAIK, BR players are getting cheaper.

blassster
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Too bad (as far as I know..) that there is no deluxe DVD version with the supplements. Not everyone has Blu-Ray.. perhaps it's time to upgrade when you're favorite films are no longer getting a full DVD treatment..

BD players are pretty cheap now, and well worth the upgrade :)

Here, have some PNG and JPG screenshots of promo art that appeared during playback from the blu-ray extras disc. I couldn't find comparable quality versions on the web during a search. Good for desktop wallpapers. They're slightly edited for misc fixes. I don't know if PNGs can be used directly for wallpapers, so try the jpgs if not.

PNG:
1 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_03.10_[2012.03.21_23.22.22].png), 2 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_03.14_[2012.03.21_23.22.39] - fixed bottom.png), 3 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_06.23_[2012.03.21_23.24.36] - fixed bottom.png)

JPG:
1 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_03.10_[2012.03.21_23.22.22].jpg), 2 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_03.14_[2012.03.21_23.22.39] - fixed bottom.jpg), 3 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/00535.m2ts_snapshot_06.23_[2012.03.21_23.24.36] - fixed bottom.jpg)

and one more promo shot from the web that's hard to find (last time I checked) in this high of a res.
4 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Dragon Tattoo stuff/rooney mara TGTWTT.jpg)

Conan The Barbarian
03-23-2012, 12:23 AM
thanks, that last one is now my wallpaper. she is so hot.

richardp
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Just saw this on Tumblr. Apparently Best Buy has a "deluxe" DVD edition, all though it still doesn't have any supplements. Packaging looks pretty cool, though.

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/swimfinfan/19763594699/1/tumblr_m1bep6Eush1qa92h1
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/swimfinfan/19763594699/2/tumblr_m1bep6Eush1qa92h1
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/swimfinfan/19763594699/3/tumblr_m1bep6Eush1qa92h1
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/swimfinfan/19763594699/4/tumblr_m1bep6Eush1qa92h1

The person who posted these pictures said that it comes with a fold out poster, which wraps around the box, and they noticed at least 4-5 different poster designs. Also, the box thing at the end, they don't know what it is, and I even ran it through a QR reader and it didn't work. So... I guess that little guy is left up to the ARG conspiracy theorists.

ltrandazzo
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Forgot to post this. Is someone keeping track of the variations?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/528107_10150611321990060_503975059_9031751_8032902 20_n.jpg

Conan The Barbarian
03-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I got the one from the first youtube unpacking vid.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Forgot to post this. Is someone keeping track of the variations?

That's the pair I got, too. It took me the longest time to figure out that the second disc was a close-up of Lisbeth from the movie poster. It must've been the angle or something. :P

Amaro
03-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Ron Sheridan spotted in the special features - "On Location."

JamesKKelly
04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Ron Sheridan spotted in the special features - "On Location."

Which section Sweden or Hollywood?

orestes
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Which section Sweden or Hollywood?

Sweden BTS.

theimage13
05-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Huh.

Found the bluray of this at my library today. I'm really not all that interested, honestly, but I've got a good sound system hooked up to the TV and my housemate is gone for the night. Let's see what we've got here!

Dra508
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Huh.

Found the bluray of this at my library today. I'm really not all that interested, honestly, but I've got a good sound system hooked up to the TV and my housemate is gone for the night. Let's see what we've got here!Me too. I finally saw this movie, what a year later.

I think it did a fine job from the book. Like the music, liked the cinematography, liked the casting. Being an American with a short attention span, I wish it was about 10 minutes shorter.

LaneSax
05-17-2012, 07:15 AM
just got the blu ray set from amazon.

so wondering, what's the difference between disc 1 and 3 besides the artwork?

NIN64
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
just got the blu ray set from amazon.

so wondering, what's the difference between disc 1 and 3 besides the artwork?

Disc 1 is a Bluray with higher quality video, and audio. Disc 3 is a DVD. . . I believe that the menus are different also.

LaneSax
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
thanks for the reply :)

onthewall2983
06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Watched the DVD. I'm itching for the sequels now.

orestes
07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Not much to report here but the script has been written for TGWPWF. (http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/updates-on-21-jump-street-mib-dragon-tattoo-sequels-more/)

wizfan
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Everything seems to be back on track. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" Sequel is Moving Forward (http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=25863&count=0)

onthewall2983
08-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Still hope Fincher comes back on this. I read in an interview something to the effect that he feels he owes it to Rooney to follow through on the sequels since he was so integral in getting her the role.

october_midnight
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Fincher still not on board for sequel, and a possibility Daniel Craig may be out as well? (http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2013/01/31/studio-may-cut-daniel-craig-out-of-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequel?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

sentient02970
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
I cannot see how they can possibly completely cut the character from the film. Seems crazy.

NIN64
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I can't imagine caring about the sequels without involvement from Fincher, Reznor/Ross, and especially Craig... I know many people who feel the same.

Reznor2112
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
This happens all the time in the industry. An actor tries to ask for more money from the studio and when the studio says no, its a waiting game. They wait to see who is bluffing. Essentially, if they cut the character the studio will have to pay more money to Steve Zaillian to rewrite the script he has already written. The studio will not do this, and I dont see Craig leaving. Also, if they abandon the film altogether, the studio loses the money they already owe to Zaillian along with the 5 million that Fincher gets whether the film is made or not in his "play or pay" deal in his contract.

Or the studio will fork over the extra cash to Craig, make the sequel for half the amount as the original and make a profit. The 1st film racked in $100 million worldwide.

The sequel will get made. Its is just a matter of waiting. The studio is playing a game of chicken with the actor and his "price". Happens all the time.

eversonpoe
09-30-2014, 04:49 PM
realized (while listening to the gone girl soundtrack today) that i hadn't watched this since i saw it in the theater (even though i've owned it since it was released on blu-ray). so i'm watching it now. i forgot how fucking amazing it is, particularly that title sequence...

Deadpool
09-30-2014, 05:07 PM
I think I saw Fincher's Dragon Tattoo 5 (!) times in theaters, which is a lot for me, especially nowadays. I loved it then and love it now. I half-jokingly say it's become my favorite holiday movie, which just means it's my favorite Autumn/Winter flick and makes the dreadfully cold + short days in Northern NJ bearable and even beautiful.

Just a few days ago, I was listening to "What If We Could?" and I couldn't not think of the very end of this movie, and I got all teary-eyed. The movie seems to hinge on that very delicate emotional catharsis, and Fincher & co. nail it.

Looking forward to breaking out my blu-ray (not to mention my GDT vinyl) as the weather gets colder!

onthewall2983
11-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Got to be honest, I started watching this the other night and realized that while it is still very good, I'm coming around to some of the criticisms it got, particularly in other spots on the internet where I commiserated about movies. The elements which I always found uncomfortable to watch now seem a little unbearable, and the plotting felt more disjointed. Perhaps it doesn't help that the trilogy was never completed, but I do think it works better as a stand-alone movie too.

dlb
11-19-2019, 03:47 AM
Well, the original is still superior to me apart from Fincher's beautiful and trademark direction as well as the soundtrack. But the sequels aren't that great in their original form either. I like both iterations as a stand alone movie the most. That in mind, I need to rewatch both th Swedish and US flick again over the holidays.

"Is your love strong enough" might have come across alitttle cheesy when it was released, but I actually really like that cover to be honest. It's a nice addition the HTDA material.

onthewall2983
11-27-2019, 01:37 AM
I was deep into the soundtrack for a few years after, to the point of watching the movie more than a few times to hear how it plays into the story, and bleeds in with the rest of the sound. I like it a lot more than TSN which is very good obviously, but working with edgier material brought out a harder edge which was welcome. But I can't say the songs do it for me anymore, within the film they are fine but on their own for me not as much. But that's just my taste.

While I prefer this to the Swedish film, I actually like the soundtrack for that almost as much as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_PYuGdhGc

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Just caught The Girl in the Spiders Web on tv and it was whatever. The first half kinda had me going, but it slowly turns into generic rehashing. There are some pretty shots here with a decent performance from the lead lady, but ultimately bland stuff.

Triggermine
11-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Just caught The Girl in the Spiders Web on tv and it was whatever. The first half kinda had me going, but it slowly turns into generic rehashing. There are some pretty shots here with a decent performance from the lead lady, but ultimately bland stuff.

Is that just the screenplay or is the book like that, too? I know it was completed by someone else.

fillow
11-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Is that just the screenplay or is the book like that, too? I know it was completed by someone else.
It wasn't simply completed by someone else, it was written entirely by new author. The original 4th book by Larsson remains unfinished and unreleased.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-28-2019, 06:27 PM

The screenplay for sure. This seemed to be one of the main gripes from hardcore fans about the film. Claire Foy really did a good job with what she had to work with like I mentioned above.

Triggermine
11-29-2019, 12:18 PM
It wasn't simply completed by someone else, it was written entirely by new author. The original 4th book by Larsson remains unfinished and unreleased.

Oh, really? I thought Larsson had a portion of it already written and then the rest was completed based on his notes.

Udate: I read up on it. I either based this recollection on an article I feel like I read early on, or I'm thinking of something else. Regardless, it didn't wind up remaining that way.

onthewall2983
11-29-2019, 12:20 PM
I caught the last 10-15 minutes of it recently too. She's in it as the sister but Sylvia Hoeks as Lisbeth would have been a more interesting choice for me, after her performance in Blade Runner 2049.

onthewall2983
12-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Well, the original is still superior to me apart from Fincher's beautiful and trademark direction as well as the soundtrack. But the sequels aren't that great in their original form either.

I know longer versions of all three came out at a certain point. Are those better?

dlb
12-20-2019, 04:49 AM
I actually only know the long versions which came on free TV a couple of years ago on six nights. Rapace and Nyquist are great actors and a joy to watch, but in my opinion the first movie is just so dense and complete, that the two consecutive movies just feel like an appendage in order to spend more time with the characters and create another story-arc above the already established. But I'm probabably the wrong person to judge this, as I haven't read the books, which have a quality on their own depicting white supremacy and violence against women deeply rooted in swedish society, but often neglected. Not only a Swedish problem, just to be clear.

If you can hunt those long versions down I still can recommend to watch them, but only looking at "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" they are not nearly as captivating imho.

Jon
12-21-2019, 10:47 AM
I know longer versions of all three came out at a certain point. Are those better?

I actually only know the long versions which came on free TV a couple of years ago on six nights. Rapace and Nyquist are great actors and a joy to watch, but in my opinion the first movie is just so dense and complete, that the two consecutive movies just feel like an appendage in order to spend more time with the characters and create another story-arc above the already established. But I'm probabably the wrong person to judge this, as I haven't read the books, which have a quality on their own depicting white supremacy and violence against women deeply rooted in swedish society, but often neglected. Not only a Swedish problem, just to be clear.

If you can hunt those long versions down I still can recommend to watch them, but only looking at "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" they are not nearly as captivating imho.

This breakdown not only lists differences between the theatrical and extended editions, but also lists the differences from the books:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=880139

The extended Blu-ray set features both Swedish and English language versions, as well as a one-hour documentary:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Tattoo-Trilogy-Blu-ray/28911/