PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

johnbron
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
I found something interesting on Amazon. No idea if it's legit, and I'm leaning toward NO since it's listed as a vinyl EP. Anyone? I can't POSSIBLY be the first person to see this. Pre-ordered just in case.

peanoot3
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A9EYLS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009A9EYLS&linkCode=as2&tag=etsound-20

This one? Very interesting... "An Omen Ep". It may also be the first single released as a vinyl with extra tracks and what not. I just really hope that this is a sign of some sort of new news coming out about the project.

johnbron
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A9EYLS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009A9EYLS&linkCode=as2&tag=etsound-20

This one? Very interesting... "An Omen Ep". It may also be the first single released as a vinyl with extra tracks and what not. I just really hope that this is a sign of some sort of new news coming out about the project.
That's the one. Release date is a ways off so I'm going to go smoke some pot and go to sleep. I still don't get the idea of another EP before an album, but what do I know? Looking forward to an announcement of SOMETHING!

DigitalChaos
09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
An Omen EP
Release Date 11/6/2012 (as listed on two sources now)

Track Listing:
Side1
1. Keep it together
2. Ice age
3. On the wing

Side 2
1. The sleep of reason produces monsters
2. The loop closes
3. Speaking in tongues

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/An_Omen_Ep_Pre-Order-20120917-214944.jpg
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen-vinyl-records.shtml

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/An_Omen_Ep-20120917-215039.jpg
http://www.wowhd.us/home/how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen-ep/dp/31321093

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Columbia Records??

peanoot3
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters" is the name of an old etching by Francisco Goya... just thought I'd put that out there.

http://www.backtoclassics.com/images/pics/franciscogoya/franciscogoya_the_sleep_of_reason_produces_monster s.jpg

Conrad Lienert
09-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Holy shit! I can't wait!
Obviously hoping other formats will be released, otherwise I'll have to dust off the ole' turntable.

Wonder if "On the wing" is inspired from the Twilight Zone episode, with the gremlin on the plane wing.

There's something on the wing! Something...

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I don't believe the next release will be an EP. However, I'm willing to believe that the next single might be this though.

Interestingly, SBME is Sony NZ, not US. I'd like to remind everyone of The Slip's various product informations before its release, this sounds too good to be true from the ultra-secretive Null Corp.

.:edit:.
Looking deeper into this, I'm not so sure. The album is listed with a label code that isn't used by any label, the track names aren't formatted properly (generally sites will copy/past things like track listing) and Trent is pretty good at keeping this kind of stuff under wraps - we only knew the EP's tracklisting because Mark Weaver scrobbled it by mistake, I don't know if this isn't just another red herring. The EP thing is what catches me the most, this has been mentioned many times as being an LP/Album, and Trent and Atticus have both previously expressed disdain for what physical singles are nowadays. Amazon isn't the be-all and end-all of official information, just like IMDB things can go on there with no evidence, so I'm going to assume this is false.

BenAkenobi
09-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Ice age? Sleep of reason?
Trent played Cryostasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryostasis:_Sleep_of_Reason) game?

butter_hole
09-18-2012, 05:07 AM
How can it appear in so many places all of a sudden (with actual information, like a tracklist) when it's not real? This sort of stuff happens with, say, a re-issue - not a new release.

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Remember when everyone was reporting Trent was scoring AL:VH? The sites it has appeared on so far are all ones that scrape OTHER sites for information on albums, so as to get the most releases (they're not scamming, just annoying). If we see something concrete, then I'll be less of a sceptic. I'll never be less of a sceptic

butter_hole
09-18-2012, 07:43 AM
or maybe even a skeptic

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I don't care if this is a scam. I'm going to cling onto that release date like a mofo and pray for the best. It's all we have!

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 07:48 AM
or maybe even a skeptic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Also as jessamineny pointed out, Columbia records? Isn't that wrong? I know nothing about record labels but shouldn't it be Null?

My fiance also pointed out something just now. It could possibly be a remix of the original EP? God knows. Just let it be real, please god let it be real

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-18-2012, 08:41 AM
It looks like it could go either way. If this is a real thing, and the news about it is out there now, then some kind of confirmation announcement can't be too far behind. If not, hey, at least this had more excitement than anything from the HTDA camp in recent history. :P

AgentofChaos
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
As far as fake new album titles go, I much preferred Infidel Hearts.

I imagine this will be debunked today, but if its actually not, hey, random bonus for us.

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I still think the LP will be called Soon

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't care if this is a scam. I'm going to cling onto that release date like a mofo and pray for the best. It's all we have!

So, we know how... funny... TR can be with his numbers sometimes. Nov. 6 adds up to 17 (11/6) -- a special number for them on at least a couple of occasions.

somewhat_
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
To me this sounds like they had a number of tracks that didn't fit conceptually with the album/project. The huge concept album is being held up because they are trying to come up with some crazy shit that hasn't been done before. In the meantime, they like these extra tracks so they are releasing them as an EP in Novemeber and will release the album sometime next year (or 2014? 2015?). Thoughts?

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
To me this sounds like they had a number of tracks that didn't fit conceptually with the album/project. The huge concept album is being held up because they are trying to come up with some crazy shit that hasn't been done before. In the meantime, they like these extra tracks so they are releasing them as an EP in Novemeber and will release the album sometime next year (or 2014? 2015?). Thoughts?
I kinda though similar, but more that it's possible, IF this is legit, that this either a promo (an EP for the album) or part of a deluxe release of outtakes. The idea of them only putting out this many tracks, unless each one is 15 minutes long, seems unlikely.

somewhat_
09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
The idea of them only putting out this many tracks, unless each one is 15 minutes long, seems unlikely.

You would think they would have enough material for at least a double LP? Maybe they are going to go the double EP route instead (1st EP this year, 2nd EP next year).

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
You would think they would have enough material for at least a double LP? Maybe they are going to go the double EP route instead (1st EP this year, 2nd EP next year).

Personally I hope that they've written so much material that they're gonna fling a good 10 or so EP's our way and then the album at the end. All one after the other in rapid succession. Follow that up with a new Ghosts album and a brand new NIN album.

One can but dream

Deadpool
09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
You can no longer pre-order the EP from Amazon, if that means anything, which it probably doesn't? I really hope this is a sign that some official news is imminent.

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 11:06 AM
£50 says Mariqueen/Trent/Atticus are all laughing at us

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
It seems the HTDA camp don't want to say anything yet, I asked rob and he's trolling https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/248096063175667712

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
It's all about the squirm.

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I'd say thats probably a good thing or otherwise I'd imagine he'd say no. Either that or he's using hindsight and thinking if he says no to this and it is indeed fake, that leaves the album particularly vulnerable if theres a leak further down the road and he suddenly switches his stance and says "you'll just have to wait and see" to the potential real leak. Goddamnit! I'm overthinking it again!

peanoot3
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
"We are doing a different type of distribution this time so it's taking a little bit longer to coordinate stuff. There's a lot of music about to be unleashed, videos, etcetera."

Do you think this has anything to do with the different type of distribution. If it's meant to screw with our heads and keep us wondering, "EP? EP? EP?" then it's working...

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
If this is official, I'd imagine theres a fully fledged album coming up aswell. If that is the case then I'd say the album will be the unique one and this will end up being a regular EP. Who knows, maybe they realise how long it's taking and have whipped this up to keep us entertained in the meantime?

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
What if there are two (or three) different EPs, split apart because each has separate cohesive themes?

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
You mean, what if HTDA are stealing ideas from Green Day?

PhoenixML
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Rob said "SOON". https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/248096267861893120

SOOOOOOOOONNNN!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!

[brain damage]

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
You mean, what if HTDA are stealing ideas from Green Day?

Ummm... sure? Just like he stole the idea for a double concept album from Pink Floyd.

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
And Pink Floyd stole his name from my former budgie, Floyd. Floyd was a badass

gorast
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Rob trolling us must mean something's coming soon, right?

...Right?

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
All of this is going on the day after I get a job.

This must be a sign that I'm gonna need the money for something very soon.

One could say that it's...an...omen.

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Interesting. They've removed all the information about the album from both those pages. All thats left is the bare minimum. Maybe they got in trouble and hid it all away?

carpenoctem
09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Very cool! I like the title; what better way to get everyone amped about the future of HTDA than titling the pre-album EP "An Omen"? I am kind of confused about the method of releasing this information though. You'd think any new music announcements would come from Camp Reznor first.

And, just to be a downer, I'm worried that a November EP might be confirmation that we won't see the full LP until early next year. Trent did say that we'd definitely see new music this year (or was that Rob or Q?), but he didn't specify "you will see the new HTDA album this year." So I guess it makes sense. I'm just tired of waiting.

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Interesting. They've removed all the information about the album from both those pages. All thats left is the bare minimum. Maybe they got in trouble and hid it all away?
Perhaps this means it WON'T be an EP, and the info was wrong? If they've not taken down listing, but removed all data, that sounds to me more like fixing something that pretending it wasn't there.

bgalbraith
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Perhaps this means it WON'T be an EP, and the info was wrong? If they've not taken down listing, but removed all data, that sounds to me more like fixing something that pretending it wasn't there.

The Amazon product page still exists, but only if you know the link, as it no longer appears when you search. The only information that remains on that page is that it's a vinyl release from HTDA with title: TBD. I jumped on the pre-order when it was still up, and my pending orders still lists it as "An Omen Ep"

sheepdean
09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
The page exists, but is wiped clean. I don't feel HTDA are going to put out another EP after all of this, so misinformation seems more likely than EP. However, the release date hasn't been changed ... I wonder if that's set in stone.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I've checked HTDA and NullCo's site for every subsite I can think of to do with that album name, no dice.

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I also had a quick look at Columbia records website just out of curiosity. I saw One Direction and quickly got the hell out of there

henryeatscereal
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
"Soon" is a better title than "TBD"

scorpiusdiamond
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Rob trolling us must mean something's coming soon, right?

...Right?

Yeah, he would've shot it down as a scam if it wasn't anything to do with them.

slave2thewage
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Cautiously guarding my optimism over this

I also had a quick look at Columbia records website just out of curiosity. I saw One Direction and quickly got the hell out of there
"One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful (HTDA Remix)"

DigitalChaos
09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
So I ordered the pre-order with my Amazon Prime and selected next day shipping. Somehow it showed up today. :confused:
Anyway, it just contained a short burst of noise. I played the record in reverse while importing the audio to my computer. I used Audacity and decided to save it with random extensions. When saved as a text file this is what happened:

The Loop Is Open 0983412818 She shus an th Jehour and: agaidst the nored main hiple Mosplethe th wax, angs, abordah, ablovah thromon. Bab se the wicep, and bre stror ep unto ame itabored.

edit: here is the entire file: http://dc.moose.cc/htda.aiff rename it to .txt

joplinpicasso
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I am trying to believe.

carpenoctem
09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
So I ordered the pre-order with my Amazon Prime and selected next day shipping. Somehow it showed up today. :confused:
Anyway, it just contained a short burst of noise. I played the record in reverse while importing the audio to my computer. I used Audacity and decided to save it with random extensions. When saved as a text file this is what happened:

The Loop Is Open 0983412818 She shus an th Jehour and: agaidst the nored main hiple Mosplethe th wax, angs, abordah, ablovah thromon. Bab se the wicep, and bre stror ep unto ame itabored.

lol, awesome troll is awesome at trolling.

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Go away bad man, go away! This album is making me a delicate flower, don't start tearing my petals out!

butter_hole
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
"One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful (HTDA Remix)"
id like to hear this.

FernandoDante
09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
WOW you guys are quick to speculate and overanalyze. Chill. As someone suggested earlier, smoke pot. Or smoke LESS, if it's making you all paranoid.

Maybe each of the six tracks is really long, and this is the actual LP. HTDA goes prog. (There, I spared that bit of speculation.)

butter_hole
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
WOW you guys are quick to speculate and overanalyze.
whats that supposed to mean

Shnoorum
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
WOW you guys are quick to speculate and overanalyze. Chill. As someone suggested earlier, smoke pot. Or smoke LESS, if it's making you all paranoid.

Maybe each of the six tracks is really long, and this is the actual LP. HTDA goes prog. (There, I spared that bit of speculation.)

Sorry but we've all been waiting a very long time for this. I for one am going to overanalyze and speculate on anything and everything I see. If a cloud formation passed overhead that resembled the HTDA logo in a very very small way and only if squinting, I would assume it's official advertisement. If I saw someone in the ocean, struggling to get to the surface, I would speculate that they were attempting a cover of A Drowning for a remix album. So when a fucking preorder appears on Amazon, advertising a brand new LP, you can probably imagine that I (and I'm sure I can speak for some otheres here) am going to speculate and analyze the buggering twat out of it because there is visible hype seeping out of every oriface on my body right now

FernandoDante
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
whats that supposed to mean
That you guys barely left any speculation and overanalyzation (not a real word) to the folks who came late to this thread =(

Just saying you guys are really really fast.

Nora Can Cans
09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Perhaps EP is short for episode. It's a conceptual album that will fit into an arc of albums that span several themes all relating to one topic - episode one explores the human need to make sense from chaos, searching for signs.
Can not wait for EP 2: LOST.

Morad
09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I e-mailed Soundstagedirect (which has yet to take down the tracklisting) as to how they got the information and whether they can confirm its accuracy. It's probably a long-shot, but still it was worth the try.

I have no idea. The track names are actually what make me think that this may all just be fictitious. But since Mariqueen usually writes the HTDA songs (at least based on the first EP), it may just be something we're not used to.

Rob's tweet is what is most intriguing to me, but there is a chance that he was just having fun. Saying that it's a scam would just let us off too easy.

EDIT: Alright, just to add more to the flurry of paranoia, I'm going to also add another (absolutely stupid) observation here, which I'm surely going to regret: "Speaking in Tongues" is also a Talking Heads album if I'm correct, and, well, Trent and David Byrne will be "in conversation" on October 14th, and I don't know where the hell I'm going with this, but hey, this thread is for throwing whatever we have at a wall, and this is just something random that I thought of.

jessamineny
09-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Perhaps EP is short for episode. It's a conceptual album that will fit into an arc of albums that span several themes all relating to one topic - episode one explores the human need to make sense from chaos, searching for signs.
Can not wait for EP 2: LOST.

Somehow, your hypothetical description of the first two EPs describes the progression of this thread. Huh.

peanoot3
09-19-2012, 01:41 AM
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/09/new-how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen-ep-releasenovember-amazon/

"Thanks to the eagle-eyed people at NIN fan forum Echoing The Sound (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1169-New-EP-quot-An-Omen-quot/page2), a page for a new How To Destroy Angels vinyl EP was found over at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A9EYLS/?tag=aqxx-20), under the title An Omen."

The news circulated to Antiquiet...

arsenic
09-19-2012, 01:58 AM
I've found the EP on two other German websites:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/How-To-Destroy-Angels-An-Omen-Ep/hnum/3143461

http://wom.de/poprock/detail/-/art/How-To-Destroy-Angels-An-Omen-Ep/hnum/3143461

theimage13
09-19-2012, 09:39 AM
My own two negative cents:

If Amazon had this listed, I'd be willing to guess that any other web listings that pop up immediately afterwards are just sourcing that info from the same page that you guys saw on the Big A earlier - even if it has already been scaled back.

That said, I'm at a different address every week for the rest of 2012, so I certainly won't be rushing to preorder anything.

jessamineny
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
My own two negative cents:

If Amazon had this listed, I'd be willing to guess that any other web listings that pop up immediately afterwards are just sourcing that info from the same page that you guys saw on the Big A earlier - even if it has already been scaled back.

Amazon never had the names of the songs listed. Soundstagedirect did, so there were at least two separate sources.

DigitalChaos
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/09/new-how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen-ep-releasenovember-amazon/

"Thanks to the eagle-eyed people at NIN fan forum Echoing The Sound (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1169-New-EP-quot-An-Omen-quot/page2), a page for a new How To Destroy Angels vinyl EP was found over at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A9EYLS/?tag=aqxx-20), under the title An Omen."

The news circulated to Antiquiet...

It's like a condensed version of this thread!

FernandoDante
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Amazon never had the names of the songs listed. Soundstagedirect did, so there were at least two separate sources.
Thank you very much for the heads-up. The Antiquiet piece now has all sources linked correctly.

scorpiusdiamond
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
It's like a condensed version of this thread!

Ahaha, I am now a source for an Antiquiet article.

screwdriver
09-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Ahaha, I am now a source for an Antiquiet article.

explains a lot about Antiquiet, no offense...

anyway, hope the news is true because then they're getting the album in just under the wire for 2012!

Bluegirl
09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I was just thinking... maybe they want the new album to come out December 21st. TR does like Scifi and things like that. Or December 22nd, so if the world does end we will never get the album.

FernandoDante
09-19-2012, 08:03 PM
explains a lot about Antiquiet, no offense...

Explains a lot about publications that know where to look when they want the info before every other publication.

jessamineny
09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Usually the first product that shows up on amazon and other sites is the CD, and people who want vinyl are left hanging. In this case, we have a "leak" of a release date -- and it's the vinyl. It's just odd.

sheepdean
09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Usually the first product that shows up on amazon and other sites is the CD, and people who want vinyl are left hanging. In this case, we have a "leak" of a release date -- and it's the vinyl. It's just odd.
Well, one of the theories of delay is that they wanted everything ready to ship from day one. Vinyl takes longer to make than CD, so that could've been the delay, and if it only just became ready, perhaps putting it into a spreadsheet did something funky to the "don't release info yet" button.

Shnoorum
09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Rob Sheridan posted this earlier on his facebook. http://www.facebook.com/robsheridan

By popular demand, I've done a second edition of my "Cereal Mascot Reunion" print. This edition is distinguished from the original by a different album and Atari game at the bottom. Visit http://rob-sheridan.com/prints (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Frob-sheridan.com%2Fprints&h=0AQHzO7M7AQGVnbhufR5x_sDbrSiHzvlWWZC3oM80rCyfSQ&s=1) to order.

Lots of cool new stuff coming SOON, by the way...

carpenoctem
09-19-2012, 10:44 PM
lol, he's such a jerk in the best possible way. Thanks to sheepdean for starting this dialogue with him. :)

screwdriver
09-19-2012, 11:25 PM
TRez: "Yes."

xfocalinx
09-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Trent just tweeted "Yes." Me thinks he's answering the question; "IS IT REAL?!" ....buttt...it COULD be "IS IT FAKE?" sigh.

ltrandazzo
09-19-2012, 11:27 PM
http://danielson-source.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/SD_677_Photo_035.jpg

FernandoDante
09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, the title of the Antiquiet piece was "NEW HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS EP TITLED & SET FOR NOVEMBER?"

So I'll take the "Yes" as directed at that.

FernandoDante
09-20-2012, 12:11 AM
I wanna hug all of you.

Where are you guys? It's time to celebrate, not sleep. We get new music in 2012 after all!

xfocalinx
09-20-2012, 12:49 AM
http://danielson-source.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/SD_677_Photo_035.jpg

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

TBH

WorzelG
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
At last! Turns out one of the retweeters is Juliette Lewis

Ok seeing as I think this means lp out in November, I'm hoping for music, video, clips, teases etc in October,not too long to wait

ninperu
09-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Amazon just confirm me that it's an official release and it's an official date: http://www.amazon.com/TBD-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1348159434&sr=8-17&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels

Now we have to wait for Trent's words...

sick among the pure
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
November 6th? Right before his Black Ops 2 theme is available. All sorts of new Trent in November. All just in time for my birthday. Nice.

Indefinite_Cure
09-20-2012, 12:25 PM
November 6th? Right before his Black Ops 2 theme is available. All sorts of new Trent in November. All just in time for my birthday. Nice.

Mine too...can't believe I'll be turning 23...isn't that the age Trent had when he released PHM?

Well now I'm getting excited...I've sifted through this thread for the past 3 days waiting for something official...just the fact that it had not been turned down was suspicious...now with Trent's «yes»....well...November can't come soon enough!

..."soon"....get it?...GET IT?!?!

DigitalChaos
09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
It's election day! The NIN Army will forget all about the election and Romney will be elected.

sheepdean
09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
It's election day! The NIN Army will forget all about the election and Romney will be elected.
This is all an elaborate ruse to setup Year Zero 2

joplinpicasso
09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7QWknxeFc

Just watch on repeat until November.
---

DigitalChaos
09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
This is all an elaborate ruse to setup Year Zero 2
dude!
As amusing it would be to see them pull the A from an ARG... no. fuck no.

princessomega
09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Alright I held off for awhile adding to this whole thread, but I am seriously starting to get excited for this whole release.
The timing with Elections and all that leads me to wonder if there is a political edge to this.
Mariqueen did tweet to the masses to register to vote...

screwdriver
09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Alright I held off for awhile adding to this whole thread, but I am seriously starting to get excited for this whole release.
The timing with Elections and all that leads me to wonder if there is a political edge to this.
Mariqueen did tweet to the masses to register to vote...

oh god I hope not. way to momentarily defuse my excitement.

carpenoctem
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Mine too...can't believe I'll be turning 23...isn't that the age Trent had when he released PHM?

Well now I'm getting excited...I've sifted through this thread for the past 3 days waiting for something official...just the fact that it had not been turned down was suspicious...now with Trent's «yes»....well...November can't come soon enough!

..."soon"....get it?...GET IT?!?!

I'm also turning 23 in November! Yay for us sharing this meaningless milestone with new HTDA!

somewhat_
09-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok seeing as I think this means lp out in November, I'm hoping for music, video, clips, teases etc in October,not too long to wait

I'm expecting the teasers any day now. Also, I'm thinking the HTDA camp will offer the LP (EP?) as a presale so a big announcement can't be too far off.

princessomega
09-20-2012, 07:09 PM
@Screwdriver Trust me I'm not actually looking for a political album. I would love some electro beats!!!

peanoot3
09-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm seeing that 'nin.com' is not loading for anybody, including me... there has to be some sort of upcoming announcement. Now that a November release is pretty much set in stone, the teasers, single, etc. should be coming very SOON.

Nevermind, Rob is saying that the servers are down...

FernandoDante
09-20-2012, 07:26 PM

He was 24, actually. But us 23-year-olds were born on the same year PHM came out!

witte
09-21-2012, 03:39 AM
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen-vinyl-records.shtml

ninperu
09-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Nobody saw the change????

http://www.amazon.com/TBD-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248490&sr=1-11&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels (http://www.amazon.com/TBD-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248490&sr=1-11&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels)

There's a new HTDA pic, the whole band!!!!!

cahernandez
09-21-2012, 12:51 PM

http://www.amazon.com/TBD-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248490&sr=1-11&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels (http://www.amazon.com/TBD-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248490&sr=1-11&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels)

Wow, November 13th will turn out to be an epic day. New HTDA, new Soundgarden AND new Deftones. Awesome.

Also, there's a fourth guy in that photo. So Rob Sheridan is an honorary HTDA member now...

bgalbraith
09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Also, there's a fourth guy in that photo. So Rob Sheridan is an honorary HTDA member now...

He's always been a member, if you believe the liner notes on the first EP.

nimbus
09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Good catch & thanks for sharing. I'm glad to see Rob in HTDA.

sick among the pure
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM

I like that they're all moving their heads for motion blur and Atticus is just looking away like "you guys, come on, geez"

BenAkenobi
09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
could someone please repost the photo because i don't see anything when i follow the link above

henryeatscereal
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
they should have gone with this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OTW6AQ9Xdx4/Tj7k5pfPAuI/AAAAAAAAAUM/mzQY9vVW__E/s320/faith1eh3.jpg

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
could someone please repost the photo because i don't see anything when i follow the link above

http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/31991396659/new-promotional-image-for-how-to-destroy-angels

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
they should have gone with this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OTW6AQ9Xdx4/Tj7k5pfPAuI/AAAAAAAAAUM/mzQY9vVW__E/s320/faith1eh3.jpg
Oh fuck not again

ANYWAY, where are you guys getting the new promo pic? I know it's on Fuck Yeah Atticus Ross, but was it on Amazon? Was it removed?

Also, Rob. That's pretty weird, right?

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I grabbed it from Amazon, and then it got taken down. I assume it wasn't meant to be on Amazon yet if they took it down, but the damage is done now.

So, are we thinking promo or actual album art, as it was posted to Amazon?

arsenic
09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
just a screenshot taken a few minutes before Amazon removed the image.

http://i.imgur.com/YiPbV.png

Leviathant
09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I grabbed it from Amazon, and then it got taken down. I assume it wasn't meant to be on Amazon yet if they took it down, but the damage is done now.

So, are we thinking promo or actual album art, as it was posted to Amazon?

I'm going with promo art. Curious - does the original URL for the image still work, and was there a 'zoom' version?

Sporadic
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm going with promo art. Curious - does the original URL for the image still work, and was there a 'zoom' version?

Original URL doesn't work anymore and there was a zoom version.

I was able to piece together most of it. (Missing part of the right side)

http://i.imgur.com/3Fwj1.jpg

:o

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
There was a zoom version - the zoom version is removed (it's made up of multiple jpegs all smooshed together, because Amazon apparently still use 90s software, so they're harder to rip). However, both lots of images are now down, although the main image that I posted was live until about 30 minutes ago (unless my cache really likes to boss Amazon around)

edit: or just go with Sporadic lol

carpenoctem
09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
The new pic is beautiful. I can feel the months of frustration melting off... I'm such a fanboy

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Also, Rob. That's pretty weird, right?

He was listed as a member of the band in the liner notes of the first EP.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
To add gas to the fire, HTDA are currently online, according to Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
He was listed as a member of the band in the liner notes of the first EP.
I wonder if he's playing stuff this time, though.

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I wonder if he's playing stuff this time, though.

I previously speculated that Rob's a member because perhaps HTDA is designed to be a band with more integrated visual elements than ever before -- and maybe now we'll see him more aggressively involved, especially given that the first EP was largely described as an "experiment."

Alpha 60
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
^^^^^^
Beat me
With that picture, if it is promo, I think this release may have some kind of multi-media content. Know Rob was listed in first EP and hard telling what all he does behind the scenes, but to have him in the promo shots would lead me to believe he has some kind of roll in the content besides just 2 dimensional art.

xfocalinx
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I feel like i've been on a LONNNGGGG car ride, and I can FINALLY stretch and take the most REVEALING piss i ever had. I'm not at my destination yet, but the satisfaction is amazing.

Santos L Halper
09-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Trent just tweeted "Some new info coming momentarily"

new info: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3265399533874&set=a.3265399493873.108202.1833868712&type=1

Frozen Beach
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
From Trent's facebook:
"Sorry for the radio silence lately... I've been busy! There's a number of things to be revealed over the coming months. Some you may expect, others you may not. Patience, my friends.

Today's news is about my band How To Destroy Angels. I'm happy to announce we've formally partnered with Columbia Records for our next series of releases. The first of these will be available in November and it's called An Omen EP. As you may have guessed, it's an EP. It contains six songs, some of which are from our full-length LP which is coming early next year.
We are making some videos, we are going to be performing live, and that's all the details I have for now on those matters.

Regarding our decision to sign with Columbia, we've really spent a long time thinking about things and it makes sense for a lot of reasons, including a chance to work with our old friend Mark Williams. There's a much more granular and rambling answer I could give (and likely will in an interview someplace) but it really comes down to us experimenting and trying new things to see what best serves our needs. Complete independent releasing has its great points but also comes with shortcomings.

We are all very excited about you checking out the new stuff. Wish I could tell you more, but you know how this works... it would take all the fun out of it!

Stay tuned!

— with Mariqueen Maandig Reznor (http://www.facebook.com/mariqueen) and 2 others (http://www.facebook.com/browse/participants/?q=AeIF9EFlp7oBbYYVkGGaW06DwhD0jKsicBNt6bXztl_XNzi otJZpIHz-3RhqWmVDTW8GJ0LKc2AkQm1Q5yx2VYR9a24uU7YCMGMXmY3gBI OQvE4AwM4ckHHbqqWTXJtjUrb60Q4D7HYozmyBRiOP2I8xFjm2 d6o6T0dvx5EJBMs7LkgQr0oyXoXtC-gSRF2A69qJHEmpMeTvZfCyqHONSVbNtWnMAr6tyBHUt6FUGCFt 0g)."

Callahan
09-21-2012, 03:34 PM
EDIT: I was too slow

Wretchedest
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I love how there are already a zillion comments on fb about this....

I have limited interest in HTDA but i have to say Im totally stunned about the decision to sign with colombia. Trent's relationship with labels is such a long winding fiasco, i cant see why he wouldnt simply stick to his guns and make the indy thing work. Im a little disappoint to be honest. I give it 2 years before he starts shit talking them.

R-Dot-Yung
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
God I'm so wet right now...I hope it blows my mind.

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow. No CD, according to Pitchfork. Just vinyl and digital release. Dammnnn.

Gray Grimez
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm a little disappointed that trent's decided to go with a major label again, although its hardly that suprising, perhaps the talk of a different sound is really true in which case he feels he needs the marketing umph of a large label behind him to really push the record. Perhaps suggests he really is as proud of this record as hes made out, compared to the last few which felt more like hey here's some stuff i've been working on, check it out. I imagine its probably just a deal for the length of this cycle, hence ep + album to give columbia a chance to make good on their investment.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Everything is confirmed and wonderful and no one can make me sad today
Regarding label: who cares, we're getting music

ThinkIcouldburn
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
howtodestroyangels.com is updated too.

arsenic
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
http://howtodestroyangels.com/ website update. You'll probably need to clear your cache

edit: a few seconds too late

snaapz
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
This image instantly reminds me of YZ ARG; glitch!! Interesting.

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_1.jpg

EDIT: I shouldn't limit this style to YZ or immediately think YZ; Sheridans glitches are ubiquitous when he teams up with TR, and I quite enjoy the creativity & application etc..

princessomega
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Everything is confirmed and wonderful and no one can make me sad today
Regarding label: who cares, we're getting music

I completely agree.
I'm here at work with some limited access to most internet sites...Thankfully the ETS is permitted!
So this has really MADE MY DAY!!!
Happy Dance here!!!

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I updated my tumblr post with a HQ version of the image if anyone wants it

russizm
09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
FINALLY, OFFICIAL NEWS!

^^^^^^
Beat me
With that picture, if it is promo, I think this release may have some kind of multi-media content. Know Rob was listed in first EP and hard telling what all he does behind the scenes, but to have him in the promo shots would lead me to believe he has some kind of roll in the content besides just 2 dimensional art.

This struck me, too.

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
What is in Trent's hand??
http://i.imgur.com/3Fwj1.jpg

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I think a lot of us forget that this is a new band without a lot of name recognition. Yes, one of the members is Trent Reznor, and some of the people who buy NIN albums are devoted enough to buy his new projects automatically. But it has to be an uphill struggle to make the general record-buying public aware of HTDA. Having a major label behind the band will perhaps give them a boost.

I'm most interested in what they'll do with that major-label financial support... all that money that other bands usually spend in the studio -- what will they use the money for (besides videos)? :)

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
http://howtodestroyangels.com/ website update. You'll probably need to clear your cache

edit: a few seconds too late
soooo much better than I was expecting. I wasn't a big fan of the album art on their original EP. Good to see Rob's glitch is in full swing.

gorast
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Partnering with Columbia, really? That fixes the distribution issue, at least.

Vinyl/digital only? CDs really are dead.

I feel so much better now that there's an official release date, even though we're once again getting an EP. Trent mentioned that the EP was part of the full length that's been pushed back yet...again...so that probably explains the title of the EP.

I'm just really glad there's a set-in-stone release date for this shit. It seems like the vinyl and digital releases are going to be simultaneous. Do you guys think it could leak with there being no CD release this time around?

Horican
09-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Signing to a major label is pretty big news, coming form Trent "techdirt case study" Reznor and Rob "stop buying music from major labels. period" Sheridan. I'm waiting for a more detailed explanation, but it seems a bit sad to me because it looks like the man who fought the hardest to create great business models and sustain himself respectfully without a major label has now given up.

But yeah: brand new fucking music coming! I'm extremely happy about that and if a major label is going to get the music to a wider crowd, than I'm happy about that too

WorzelG
09-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Imagine how stressful it is doing everything yourself and being constantly blamed for everything going wrong though? I hope they can make it work this time. I wonder if Columbia made Trent sign a 'keep gob shut' clause

Just looked up Columbia and they're part of Sony - didn't they partner to do the Social Network soundtrack? Which went fine if I remember rightly

xfocalinx
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Okay, I LOVE the new artistic approach for this.

Horican
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
His Oscar!

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
you guys were right:

rob_sheridan: @sheepdean We're viewing this as more of a collective than a band. I'm primarily visuals but it'll make more sense live.
http://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/249253466919297027

WorzelG
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I seriously doubt this live stuff will leave the US so I hope you guys will put it all on YouTube

Frozen Beach
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
edit: nevermind

theimage13
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Digital and vinyl only?

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed by the news. Yes, I have a record player at home (albeit a crappy one), but I'm also not actually going to be home again until sometime next year. Buying CDs and giving albums a full listen on release day is one of the simple joys that I really look forward to once or twice a year when I highly anticipated album comes out. Downloading it? Eh. I'm excited to see new music (and videos) being announced, but I don't have the same sense of excitement now.

Also: really hoping the full length album isn't the EP + another half dozen songs. If that turns out to be the case, I'm going to skip the EP. I loathe dual releases like that...why buy the same songs twice?

Horican
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
we know for sure that only part of the EP will be on the LP. I'm guessing 2 songs from the LP will be on the EP and the rest will be exclusive.

BRoswell
09-21-2012, 04:28 PM
On the whole "digital/vinyl only" issue: I have to wonder how well the CD version of the first EP sold. After all, I imagine most people downloaded the EP and then MAYBE bought the CD if they enjoyed it. Maybe they felt that the cost of producing the CDs wasn't worth it in the end. Obviously the vinyl release is for the hardcore collectors to get, but I assume there's a method to this so-called madness.

Speaking for myself, as much as I love having a physical product, I never bought the first EP on CD. I simply made my own to play in the car and put the downloaded tracks on my MP3 player. I'll obviously have to do the same with this release, but I'm okay with that.

WorzelG
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Digital and vinyl only?

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed by the news

Is this no CD thing for just the EP or both?

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
So, I guess the black market trade in CD-Rs of HTDA is going to be excessive?

And I'm sure the HTDA LP DE (yay for acronyms) will have BOTH of the EPs on it, because why not

xfocalinx
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Also, with the new record label, it now answers why they were so secret about releasing information...and WHY it took so long.

ltrandazzo
09-21-2012, 05:01 PM
NICE FIND THERE, JOHNBRON.

*cough*

Horican
09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Has anyone noticed that what he said about announcements in the following months does not refer to HTDA specifically? I'm wondering what else is coming in the following months...

jhulud
09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
What has two thumbs and is completely stoked?

**This guy!**

jhulud
09-21-2012, 05:17 PM

The pen he's using to sign all the deluxe limited edition versions of the EP of course!

Nora Can Cans
09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
God I'm so wet right now...I hope it blows my mind.

I think we are all a little wet right now.
Somebody needs to get this party started.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Dtf2htda .?

Nora Can Cans
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Rob Sheridan is trying to steal all our sleep.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Admit it, if you could commit THIS kind of cock-teasery to this many people, you would. :P

PQHooligan
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Holy shit! I can't wait!
Obviously hoping other formats will be released, otherwise I'll have to dust off the ole' turntable.

Wonder if "On the wing" is inspired from the Twilight Zone episode, with the gremlin on the plane wing.

There's something on the wing! Something...

Wasn't that the film though, and wasn't it a monkey? :P

Anyway, I look forward to any new music, EP or otherwise!

Isn't he just holding his jacket?

Frozen Beach
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
This news just... it makes me...
http://i47.tinypic.com/15nn87m.jpg

Nora Can Cans
09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Dtf2htda .?

Nothing, my search returned nothing.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Nothing, my search returned nothing.
Down to fuck to how to destroy angels

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Admit it, if you could commit THIS kind of cock-teasery to this many people, you would. :P
My dream job is to act as Trent's personal internet troll.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
In all seriousness, I'm not worried about the decision to stick with a label this time around. Trent knows it's a strange move, and he. Wouldn't have followed through with it without working out all the details with a fine-toothed comb first. That said, I'm 100% sure we'll still have our share share of teases and "soons" with future releases. I'm excited for it. The inclusion of a label that Trent trusts doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth all.

If anything, it's more of a warm gooey taste to everyone here, if you know what I mean.

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 05:58 PM
20some years of learning how NOT to deal with a label will generally allow you to make the right decision if you have to do it over

somewhat_
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm thinking three tracks from the EP will be on the LP and the LP will have a total of 15 tracks (12 new tracks).

Conrad Lienert
09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Wasn't that the film though, and wasn't it a monkey? :P

Anyway, I look forward to any new music, EP or otherwise!

Are you thinking of the one with John Lithgow? I think he was in the remake of an older episode. Shit, I don't know. Much alcohol has been consumed, since I saw it.

I do remember watching "The four of us are dying" because of The Slip, and really enjoying it.

Anyway, back to the cock-teasery that is How To Destroy Angels.

Papagolash
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Reminds me of Bleedthrough

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/Papagolash/1_zpsc2af238b.jpg

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Signing to a major label is pretty big news, coming form Trent "techdirt case study" Reznor and Rob "stop buying music from major labels. period" Sheridan. I'm waiting for a more detailed explanation, but it seems a bit sad to me because it looks like the man who fought the hardest to create great business models and sustain himself respectfully without a major label has now given up.

Imagine how stressful it is doing everything yourself and being constantly blamed for everything going wrong though?

And think about how much life has changed since he went independent. It was just NIN back then that he (and Rob and his manager) had to worry about running. Now, he's composing for films. And actively working on the Year Zero series with HBO. And has an entire new band, HTDA. Plus NIN. And whatever else he's working on that we don't know about. On top of having a family now.

All of those career and life changes might be reason enough to back away from doing everything independently, though I'm sure in reality they wouldn't be the only factors.

DigitalChaos
09-21-2012, 07:12 PM
And think about how much life has changed since he went independent. It was just NIN back then that he (and Rob and his manager) had to worry about running. Now, he's composing for films. And actively working on the Year Zero series with HBO. And has an entire new band, HTDA. Plus NIN. And whatever else he's working on that we don't know about. On top of having a family now.

All of those career and life changes might be reason enough to back away from doing everything independently, though I'm sure in reality they wouldn't be the only factors.

speaking from experience: having a kid is probably the biggest factor in offloading work to someone else and he has two kids! I'd rather spend time with my kid than trying to figure out why someone fucked up <insert the hundreds of things that always go wrong with DIY>

Trent will probably never do it, but I'd love to hear him talk about how his kids have changed him.

snaapz
09-21-2012, 07:27 PM
In both band picures Atticus's face appears to be undistorted, other 3 are. Interesting.

I'm curious as to why the editor (Rob/Tamar?) allowed or left in this glitch on the left, see the black arrow I placed. First thing I would do as an editor is remove it if there's no purpose for it.

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_3.jpg

Also, unsure on what that image is found between AR & TR. Why is it blurry or out of focus? I tried dodging and enlarging but I can't make it out. Maybe as the days pass the image will become more clear.

thelastdisciple
09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Also, unsure on what that image is found between AR & TR. Why is it blurry or out of focus? I tried dodging and enlarging but I can't make it out. Maybe as the days pass the image will become more clear.
I think it's TR's hand as it looks like his arm is raised.

The corner of his elbow would be in front of Atticus. (or even behind)

These glitch photos are very deceptive.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
In both band picures Atticus's face appears to be undistorted, other 3 are. Interesting.
Because atticus rocks

DVYDRNS
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
these images kinda annoy me, as i've been using the "take a picture of the television or computer screen" method with all my artwork for years. now everyones gonna say i am trying to copy sheridan...

but its awesome looking so whatever. hope this record is great!

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I think a lot of us forget that this is a new band without a lot of name recognition. Yes, one of the members is Trent Reznor, and some of the people who buy NIN albums are devoted enough to buy his new projects automatically. But it has to be an uphill struggle to make the general record-buying public aware of HTDA. Having a major label behind the band will perhaps give them a boost.

I'm most interested in what they'll do with that major-label financial support... all that money that other bands usually spend in the studio -- what will they use the money for (besides videos)? :)
Remember Trent's big speech about how independent bands should NOT go to major labels? How you should only go to a major label if you want to be mass-appealing bullshit like Coldplay?

ALSO, time to change the title of this section of the forum to "Full-length LP in 2013". Can't say we didn't all see it coming, eh. "New music later this year" was pretty much a given for "sorry, still no album".

I sound like I'm bitching, but hey, new music, cool. Just... be careful when making promises to the NIN audience, because they tend to remember stuff too well.

Horican
09-21-2012, 08:01 PM

That's a very logical and understandable reason. i just think that for the people who see Trent as a sort of role model for how media and art should be handled in our times, this could seem a bit disheartening.
personally, I'm just happy that we'll get new stuff, and I'm sure that Reznor and co. are still very involved with how this rolls out as they always were. I expect the next months to be very engaging and exciting.

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 08:09 PM
That's a very logical and understandable reason. i just think that for the people who see Trent as a sort of role model for how media and art should be handled in our times, this could seem a bit disheartening.

It's a similar scenario to the one that Radiohead faced when they admitted that the In Rainbows thing was a (fantastic) way to get attention, and they still depended on labels to release CD versions and whatnot.

Or the scenario Jack White faced when he started Third Man Records, and it seemed like a beam of glorious golden light for independent acts, then went ahead and signed with Columbia for his solo record.

Or when Josh Homme said "Interscope sucks my dick - I know it because I'm looking down right now and I can see them", mentioning he couldn't wait to be free of the record label machine. Then he signed another deal with Interscope to release Them Crooked Vultures' debut LP.

I'm putting my bet on Amanda Palmer for "next artist to go back to a major label".

EDIT: I mean, it's their fucking choice, I care about the music. But don't preach about major labels being the devil.

Bluegirl
09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes. You can't say something like that, make a huge deal about it, allow yourself to be seen as the king of the dyi artist then do the opposite and not have people disappointing in you. I am sure he will explain the decision but I will not assume it will be a satisfying or unsatisfying answer.

Edit: I was replying to FernandoDante. I don't know why the quote did not show.

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Wasn't it great when we all sat in the board room with HTDA and Columbia, and found out the minutae of the deal, and what it means for all parties? I especially liked the bit where we decided it was in some way going to affect us as consumers.

orestes
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Whinge.

(10 characters)

Bluegirl
09-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Wasn't it great when we all sat in the board room with HTDA and Columbia, and found out the minutae of the deal, and what it means for all parties? I especially liked the bit where we decided it was in some way going to affect us as consumers.
Maybe if Trent was not so great and exceeding my expectations I would not set the bar so high. I think that is one of them good problems.

Nora Can Cans
09-21-2012, 08:24 PM

^ The coffee was shit.

snaapz
09-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't want to get into drama talk but my guess is that regarding Columbia Records, aside from TR having a friendship with Mark and a fair contract for the band, it just frees up A LOT of time & stress for TR/MQ/AR/RS etc... A lot. Plus I'm sure Rick Rubin will be all "give them what ever the hell they need".

sometimes it's wise to take a TOLL highway - snaapz

xfocalinx
09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
ALSO, I was thinking, I enjoy that they're doing another EP before the LP release, I'm all for MOAR physical releases.

Shnoorum
09-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Holy shit I ust got back from work to this! To summarize how I feel right now in one tiny statment, "OMFG!". I'm finding it odd that people even noticed he changed record label. All I got from his announcement was november, new ep, new ep, new ep, new ep, new album next year, videos, excitement, omfg, and new ep! Shit, this is goddamn HTDA, they could release it any label, any method and I'd still walk around with a permanent boner for a good few months. But yeah anyway, ZOMG GUYS! ITS COMING!

ltrandazzo
09-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Since we're talking business - I'd think that after testing the waters of a relationship with Sony / Columbia for the s/t releases of TSN & TGWTDT and having those two releases garner plenty of sales and recognition, the agreement still allows for plenty of leeway and other perks that would be otherwise unavailable to younger, newer artists. Regardless of the history with Interscope, which is owned by a different company mind you, what should matter to everyone is this -

We're going to be getting new music soon and it has the potential to be excellent.

Shnoorum
09-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Since we're talking business - I'd think that after testing the waters of a relationship with Sony / Columbia for the s/t releases of TSN & TGWTDT and having those two releases garner plenty of sales and recognition, the agreement still allows for plenty of leeway and other perks that would be otherwise unavailable to younger, newer artists. Regardless of the history with Interscope, which is owned by a different company mind you, what should matter to everyone is this -

We're going to be getting new music soon and it has the potential to be excellent.

Yeah, what the awesome smiley guy said. I for one am pretty much wetting myself right now. I'm just so happy to be given an actual release date

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Remember Trent's big speech about how independent bands should NOT go to major labels? How you should only go to a major label if you want to be mass-appealing bullshit like Coldplay?

You mean these nin.com posts (http://stereogum.com/78871/trent_reznor_reveals_final_tour_dates_teaches_youn ger_bands/video/)? Not really a "big speech." They were his thoughts three years ago on the subject, including: "Here’s a truth: nobody knows what to do right now, me included." Times change. The economy changes. Industries change. Personal circumstances change. Ideas change.

These were just thoughts he shared, while he on a tour bus in Europe, in response to some negative Twitter replies he had received. This was not a manifesto, for which you can hold him accountable in perpetuity.

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Like I said: it's their choice. I'm sure Trent knows what he's doing - unlike the time he trusted a label to get James Cameron to direct a Lights In The Sky 3D concert film and got fucked over. I saw someone mentioning that "Trent should know better by this time". Well, Columbia is a different label.

We, the consumers, want the music. But Trent did speak about labels being dead, and the devil, and the way of the past, and STAY AWAY FROM LABELS, etc. Which is obviously not the case - labels can, and have always been able to, do some stuff well. Even for artists who are not Coldplay.

I'm not saying he's wrong now. Not saying he's sold out or anything.

EDIT: and lol at me getting "Faceplams".

sick among the pure
09-21-2012, 08:59 PM

All of this, plus, it's for HTDA. He didn't sign NIN to a label. He signed a new band that likely has a relatively small fan base, and hasn't released a full album yet let alone toured. All of that combined, I don't see why he wouldn't sign HTDA to a label that he has a good relationship with from a previous release.

Shnoorum
09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I remember them saying Cabaret Voltaire was an inspiration for this album or something along those lines. Not huge on them, not that I'm having any doubts about the new music at all I'm just trying to imagine what it's gonna sound like. I have a feeling its going to be quite different than what we're used to but incredibly brilliant. Goddamnit now that its been announced I really have no idea what to talk about now, I'm just all hyped up! November better hurrt its ass up, couldn't care less about the time inbetween!

blassster
09-21-2012, 09:24 PM
I like these images. I realize that this probably isn't the case, but it almost looks like TR has a gun in his hand.

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Did I sound ironic or something? I really wanna listen to this new music, just not dying with excitement.

Also,

I like these images. I realize that this probably isn't the case, but it almost looks like TR has a gun in his hand.
Yes, absolutely. My first thought.

Shnoorum
09-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Maybe it'll be like that Mariqueen picture they used for the original EP. Keep going back to it and more and more will be revealed. Doubt it but it would be cool

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Like I said: it's their choice. I'm sure Trent knows what he's doing - unlike the time he trusted a label to get James Cameron to direct a Lights In The Sky 3D concert film and got fucked over.

No. He already had the filming with Cameron set up. And an extra tour date added to the schedule, specifically for the filming. TR approached Interscope (since they own rights to some of the songs) about helping to fund and produce the film. Interscope then dragged their feet.

Facts. They work.

http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1228356453

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 09:48 PM
No. He already had the filming with Cameron set up. And an extra tour date added to the schedule, specifically for the filming. TR approached Interscope (since they own rights to some of the songs) about helping to fund and produce the film. Interscope then dragged their feet.

Facts. They work.

http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1228356453
Thanks for reminding me of the detail on how Trent got fucked over anyway.

jessamineny
09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for reminding me of the detail on how Trent got fucked over anyway.

Yeah, that sure was a "Trent had no idea what he was doing" moment, wasn't it? If only he were smarter. Sheesh.

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah, that sure was a "Trent had no idea what he was doing" moment, wasn't it? If only he were smarter. Sheesh.
Please, don't take my statement that far. Here, let me use Trent's own words to make the point clear:

I made two critical mistakes.

Do you agree with me that:

"Thinking you're doing something right, when in fact you don't know that it's gonna go wrong"

EQUALS

"A critical mistake"

?

EDIT: and this has gone off-topic. I'll stop now.

Highly Psychological
09-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Oh my,what splendid news and oh boy what swell news,..
Not to be a Negative Nancy but why is everyone giving him a hard time bout signing to Columbia, i always thought the independent thing whilst noble was very chaotic and messy.
More people will hear his music this way. Some Ugly little 15 year olds may convert from a life of One Direction to HTDA.
But whatever, If i had to guess....
reckon it will be very experimental, it will sound like but better and smoother than Portishead's Third also sound like the synth group Section 25, and more recently the band Factory Floor and as mentioned like years ago Cabaret Voltaire, with Noise and minimal dubsteppy type influences.
Trent will find a way to mold this together.
Yes he will. Exciting!!

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Isn't it weird how there's four band members, but, according to this thread, only one of them does any of the work?

Nora Can Cans
09-22-2012, 02:24 AM
http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_3.jpg

This isn't Trent's arm, it is Atticus'(ess)... Clearly he is still a very bad man.

Daegor
09-22-2012, 02:29 AM
I feel like i've been on a LONNNGGGG car ride, and I can FINALLY stretch and take the most REVEALING piss i ever had. I'm not at my destination yet, but the satisfaction is amazing.

I've just going to leave this here, definitely the best moment of this thread.

sick among the pure
09-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Isn't it weird how there's four band members, but, according to this thread, only one of them does any of the work?

Trent is the one who wrote the update. Trent is usually the one seen as the front man. Trent is the one every single member of this forum is a fan of.
I don't think anyone here thinks he does all of the work (because that'd be dumb). But it only makes sense that he is the member that would be discussed the most.

witte
09-22-2012, 02:47 AM
To add gas to the fire, HTDA are currently online, according to Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels

they added "is your love strong enough?"

WorzelG
09-22-2012, 02:58 AM

People have been talking about Rob Sheridan as well because he's on Twitter and we've seen his work. Atticus and Mariqueen are a bit of an enigma, perhaps when things get going there will be interviews with everyone

sore_and_crucified
09-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Just proves that going independent doesn't work, you can reach your own fans but just doesn't bring enough exposure.

I would like to point out though, I have nothing against the labels (apart from a select few) and I'm starting to get more and more pissed off with high ticket prices to see the bands, £100 for The Cure not so long ago if I remember correctly and £200 to see Reading and Leeds festival. NIN have always been fair with ticket prices (never more than £30) and still put on an amazing show, hopefully this won't change with HTDA!!!

Max Leo
09-22-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm wondering what else is coming in the following months...
The end of the world?

Leviathant
09-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Just proves that going independent doesn't work, you can reach your own fans but just doesn't bring enough exposure.

I would argue that going independent doesn't scale, that you an in fact get 'enough exposure' - but that as an independent agency, you cannot necessarily handle the product fulfillment that goes along with that as well as a dedicated entity. I, for one, was glad to see no TopSpin association this time around.

dionysus74
09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Where did this "vinyl/digital only" info come from?

Horican
09-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Where did this "vinyl/digital only" info come from?
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/249299101609492481

also: pitchfork

dionysus74
09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/249299101609492481

also: pitchfork

Way to exclude fans and miss out on revenue.

Leviathant
09-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Sorry, do you not have a CD burner?

I actually stopped using CDs precisely in 2008, when I bought a stereo for my car, for about $200, that didn't have a CD player. It has connectors for USB, iPod/iPhone, and an Aux-In jack. Once the CD player in my car was eliminated, CDs were dead to me - and that was four and a half years ago.

spahn
09-22-2012, 11:18 AM

the only real reason to buy cds is for the artwork and that's probably one of the reasons the vinyl is being released in lieu of a cd.
i haven't used a cd in a few years as well, but still purchase them if they are related to any project trent releases. other than that, its digital purchases for me.

Horican
09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
really? i mean - what use could you have for the CD? the music you can get digitally (and even burn on a CD if you want to play it in your car or something) and if you want some physical product - well, the vinyl is a perfect option, the packaging is larger, more detailed and more beautiful.
basically, i think the only reason that vinyl+digital hasn't (yet) become the standard for music fans today is because vinyl is relatively expansive, when compared with CDs. but now, when you can download most music for very little money or for nothing at all, when you actually love something enough to want it physically in your hands it's fair to spend some extra $ and get something with more value that feels truer to the art and to the music then a small CD case.

BTW, I'm guessing that the full album will also come on CD.

theimage13
09-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Something tells me that offering a download costs a lot less than pressing a CD, printing artwork for it, and shipping them all over the country. Honestly though, that's only a guess. But if I'm guessing right, why does that translate into lost revenue?

That said, I'm still sad about the news. Yeah, I'll probably go ahead and buy the download anyway, but I really like holding the actual album in my hands and checking out any artwork/lyrics that come with it when I give it that first listen. No record player on tour, so no physical copy for me.

really? i mean - what use could you have for the CD? the music you can get digitally (and even burn on a CD if you want to play it in your car or something) and if you want some physical product - well, the vinyl is a perfect option, the packaging is larger, more detailed and more beautiful.

What use? How about being able to put it in a CD player without having to keep a stash of blank discs that deteriorate over time? How about being 100% sure that you're listening to the album exactly the way it was meant to be heard, and not wondering if your burner screwed you over by putting gaps where there shouldn't be (or not putting gaps where there should be)? How about something to listen to in your car if you have a CD deck and don't like the sound of FM transmitters, or don't like traveling with an easily lost/stolen $200-$300 MP3 player?

Vinyl is the perfect option? Please. The majority of consumers don't even own a way to listen to vinyl, and of those who do, many own pretty crappy players. Packaging is larger? Great, that means the more albums I buy, the more storage space I have to dedicate to them. And when it comes time to move? I've helped vinyl collectors move - even they agree that it's a pretty shitty thin to deal with.

I realize that many people are done with CDs...but there's still a place for them in the market.

somewhat_
09-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I believe the decision was made because they didn't believe the costs of pressing the CD's was justified when they will be releasing the LP (which will include at least a couple of tracks from the EP) on CD a few months down the road. I'm guessing that maybe they are throwing what they believe to be a couple of the stronger tracks from the LP and a few of the tracks that didn't fit conceptually (or sonically, or whatever? - what you might call leftovers from the LP) on to the EP.

Horican
09-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I realize that many people are done with CDs...but there's still a place for them in the market.
I agree. Obviously there is still a place for them on the market, CDs are still the most popular physical way to get music, but if you are a collector (resist the obvious joke!) you're much more likely to collect vinyl then CD, because the first is seen as more of a collectible and less of a product.

it seems to me as if this EP is not the "main thing" but a stopgap before the actual album, therefore HTDA aren't in this to sell shitloads of copies of this EP, the EP isn't made for mass consumption, it's meant to spread awareness about the band and their music before they drop their big important record (which i guess will get a wide physical release on all imaginable formats). therefore - having a physical release smaller in scale and more geared toward collectors is actually good for this release.

snaapz
09-22-2012, 12:14 PM
No CD? No problem! (In all seriousness this is preferable)

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_4.jpg

THEN

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_5.jpg

FernandoDante
09-22-2012, 12:21 PM
really? i mean - what use could you have for the CD? the music you can get digitally (and even burn on a CD if you want to play it in your car or something) and if you want some physical product - well, the vinyl is a perfect option, the packaging is larger, more detailed and more beautiful. basically, i think the only reason that vinyl+digital hasn't (yet) become the standard for music fans today is because vinyl is relatively expansive, when compared with CDs. but now, when you can download most music for very little money or for nothing at all, when you actually love something enough to want it physically in your hands it's fair to spend some extra $ and get something with more value that feels truer to the art and to the music then a small CD case.BTW, I'm guessing that the full album will also come on CD.I don't have a turntable, and vinyls are ridiculously more expensive (4x the price of the CD) in lots of parts of the world. I don't intend on starting a record collection now, so I'm either gladly paying for a CD, or not paying. Some people like CDs, and that's ok.

Deadpool
09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
So, I was thinking... with An Omen getting an official release on a big-shot label, that makes it more likely to leak, yeah? I'm just trying to take inventory, so correct me if I'm wrong: Ghosts I-IV didn't leak, The Slip didn't leak, How To Destroy Angels EP didn't leak. What about The Social Network and Dragon Tattoo? We obviously had samplers for both of those, and they were put out on big labels(?), but I don't remember a specific leak.

Also, I fucking love the art direction. Rob & Co. always impress, but this might be some of my favorite stuff yet. I think it's so cool that he's included in the promo shots - it's fascinating how the direction of the band has shifted: with the debut EP, it was clearly more about creating an identity separate from NIN (visually speaking w/ Mariqueen in the fore as frontwoman), but now it's more like "OK, Trent's the spokesperson, but we're a TEAM / BAND / COLLECTIVE." Pretty badass.

Just to confirm, we're getting the new EP the same day that Black Ops II hits stores, right? Well, that's pretty cool. New music extravaganza this Nov.! Fuck yeah. I wonder how many of the new songs will carry over to the LP........

On top of all this great release news, we have LIVE DATES to look forward to. That is ridiculously exciting. The fact that there is an all new live set-up and personell change seems like exactly the type of thing to get Trent re-energized for a tour. I love the idea of him being in the wings for a whole show (NIN + Saul Williams @ Voodoo comes to mind), with his full attention on making noise and keeping the music going. Can't wait to see how Mariqueen and Atticus change the live dynamic, too: unlike NIN, they're not hired guns - they've all been writing together in a studio for months. Should be interesting to see them stretch their legs and interact/perform in a live setting.

FernandoDante
09-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Just proves that going independent doesn't work, you can reach your own fans but just doesn't bring enough exposure. I would like to point out though, I have nothing against the labels (apart from a select few) and I'm starting to get more and more pissed off with high ticket prices to see the bands, £100 for The Cure not so long ago if I remember correctly and £200 to see Reading and Leeds festival. NIN have always been fair with ticket prices (never more than £30) and still put on an amazing show, hopefully this won't change with HTDA!!!This is a much more polite and elegant version of the things I was trying to say earlier in this thread.

GoodSoldier333
09-22-2012, 12:56 PM
NIN have always been fair with ticket prices (never more than £30)

Not the case in those last two years of touring..

Leviathant
09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
When the debut by Them Crooked Vultures came out, it was available on vinyl for about $2 more than a digital download - and the vinyl actually came with a download code, so you could have the album on MP3, too. (In a twist of irony, the MP3s you could download were recorded from playback of the vinyl edition of the album - worst of both worlds!) If it's the year 2012, nearly 2013, and you're posting to a message board from any kind of capable computer, there's really no excuse for you don't have a portable digital playback device that does not require physical media.

You can get a 4gb iPod for $25 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Apple-iPod-Mini-1st-Gen-Generation-4GB-MP3-Player-Blue-/251144234103?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3a795ce477) on eBay. That's how much The Fragile cost the month it debuted. That's how much one copy of the Deluxe Edition of the Downward Spiral costs.

This Christmas, do yourself a huge favor - get rid of your CD players, if you haven't already. The only CDs I have left are my NIN collection, mostly. They sit in a closet, collecting dust - not unlike my modest vinyl collection.

Leviathant
09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
So, I was thinking... with An Omen getting an official release on a big-shot label, that makes it more likely to leak, yeah? I'm just trying to take inventory, so correct me if I'm wrong: Ghosts I-IV didn't leak, The Slip didn't leak, How To Destroy Angels EP didn't leak. What about The Social Network and Dragon Tattoo? We obviously had samplers for both of those, and they were put out on big labels(?), but I don't remember a specific leak.

When Trent was in full control of the entire chain, there were no leaks.

With Columbia being involved, we got the name and track listing of the EP well before it was announced. The Amazon pre-order page prematurely displayed the promo photo of the band before the official announcement. Since the EP is not being pressed to CD, one of the major avenues for leakage doesn't exist, but if there are promo CDs made, I think there will be a collector feeding frenzy on those.

I think that if there's a leak of the EP, it would be at most a day or two before release, and even then, that will be a crappy vinyl rip.

sore_and_crucified
09-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Not the case in those last two years of touring..

I only paid around £30 to see the NIN/Jane's tour at the MEN in Manchester- 2009!

richardp
09-22-2012, 01:30 PM
When Trent was in full control of the entire chain, there were no leaks.

With Columbia being involved, we got the name and track listing of the EP well before it was announced. The Amazon pre-order page prematurely displayed the promo photo of the band before the official announcement. Since the EP is not being pressed to CD, one of the major avenues for leakage doesn't exist, but if there are promo CDs made, I think there will be a collector feeding frenzy on those.

I think that if there's a leak of the EP, it would be at most a day or two before release, and even then, that will be a crappy vinyl rip.

More than likely there won't be promo cd's made, and will just be watermarked live streams over the internet sent out to press.

bgalbraith
09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
More than likely there won't be promo cd's made, and will just be watermarked live streams over the internet sent out to press.

Let's hope we don't have another KROQ debacle.

FernandoDante
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
When the debut by Them Crooked Vultures came out, it was available on vinyl for about $2 more than a digital download - and the vinyl actually came with a download code, so you could have the album on MP3, too. (In a twist of irony, the MP3s you could download were recorded from playback of the vinyl edition of the album - worst of both worlds!) If it's the year 2012, nearly 2013, and you're posting to a message board from any kind of capable computer, there's really no excuse for you don't have a portable digital playback device that does not require physical media. You can get a 4gb iPod for $25 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Apple-iPod-Mini-1st-Gen-Generation-4GB-MP3-Player-Blue-/251144234103?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3a795ce477) on eBay. That's how much The Fragile cost the month it debuted. That's how much one copy of the Deluxe Edition of the Downward Spiral costs.This Christmas, do yourself a huge favor - get rid of your CD players, if you haven't already. The only CDs I have left are my NIN collection, mostly. They sit in a closet, collecting dust - not unlike my modest vinyl collection.The best sound equipment in my house (and in thousands other houses in third world countries) is connected to a CD player, and I have no intention of getting the adapters necessary to fit it the equipment to an iPod or a computer. Not "yet" anyway, and even if I do it next year, lots of people will only do it in 2014, 2015, or much later. Plus, people with huge CD collections still want a device dedicated exclusively to that - it makes the CDs feel more useful. Tangible media is nice to interact with, and it doesn't HAVE to be a vinyl. So, it's more complex than "just get rid of it". Lots of feelings of nostalgia and convenience are still happily associated with CDs.

somewhat_
09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
This can be found on Columbia's website (under "press"):

Trent Reznor Announces Signing With Columbia Records for How To Destroy Angels Project

HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS ANNOUNCES AN OMEN EP
AN OMEN DUE NOVEMBER 13TH VIA COLUMBIA RECORDS
LP DUE IN SPRING 2013
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maq00yQ4wh1qbvgw4.jpg How To Destroy Angels is a collective from Los Angeles composed of Mariqueen Maandig, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Rob Sheridan. An Omen EP will be their debut release on Columbia Records, available November 13th digitally and on 12” vinyl. You’ll begin to hear it and see it in the coming weeks.

Read Trent Reznor’s announcement here: on.fb.me/SfMNRE (http://t.co/73wHd1VF)

BenAkenobi
09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
before demanding CD release, let's wait and see – maybe their prime is going to be 24 bit surround format or something. maybe plain old stereo files will be free download and the vinyl is simply a medium for “bigger artwork” as was pointed out earlier. this way the DVD is a way to go, not CD lol

R-Dot-Yung
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Umm, why are we getting crazy analyzing pictures like it's an ARG. Rob Sheridan just has a massive hard on for Glitch Art.

Also, I haven't listened to is your love strong enough in a while and I forgot how good it is. I think the quality of production on that record vs. the whole first EP is a night and day difference. Assuming that the new record follows the upward trajectory, I think this is going to be some seriously awesome stuff. I can't wait to hear that track live with that booming sub bass. Woo I am READY for this shit.

WorzelG
09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
.....before they drop their big impotent record (which i guess will get a wide physical release on all imaginable formats)

One of the reasons I hate spell-checkers on computers!

Anyway, my thing about CDs is that I have an inherent mistrust of digital information, I like to have the CD so I know I can reimport the stuff - I'm always paranoid my computer will bust and I'll lose all the data. I should do back-ups really

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Anyway, my thing about CDs is that I have an inherent mistrust of digital information, I like to have the CD so I know I can reimport the stuff - I'm always paranoid my computer will bust and I'll lose all the data. I should do back-ups really

I'm in the same boat. Luckily, nowadays a lot of digital retailers send you direct links to your downloads via e-mail, so you can re-download them without any trouble. But I definitely agree about preference to CDs over digital. I'm not too picky about omgmustbeperfectineveryway sound quality, either. It's the music on my iPod, not master files or anything.

But I'm just glad to have new music. Assuming there'll be some kind of deal where you get a digital copy of the album with purchase of the vinyl copy, I think I'll be satisfied without a CD copy. If not, hey, having the digital files is better than nothing.

Hey! After this drops, we'll have a whole album's worth of material! Maybe I should burn all the HTDA songs to a disc after the release to fool myself into thinking it's a full album.

Edit: By the way, who else can't stop hearing the words "we are going to be performing live" in their head? Seriously, I'm considering dropping any near-future purchases I was making to set aside money to make it to one of these shows - whichever one is closest, no matter the distance.

carpenoctem
09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
I've sort of converted to digital this year. It's been a big relief, honestly. Buying digital music is instant, easy and cheaper. I've bought a few CDs this year - the new records from Animal Collective and Amanda Palmer, and the latter just because it came with the Kickstarter package I threw down $125 for - and I'm sure I'll continue to do so for the really special artists that are close to my heart. But that's just from an obsessive collector's point of view. For the rest, it's all digital for me now. I'm just so excited we're finally getting news, I don't care if it comes pressed between a half-eaten bologna sandwich (ESPECIALLY IF THE OTHER HALF WAS EATEN BY TRENT, OMG). Or, should we probably start checking bathrooms for spare USB sticks? Has anyone organized a group effort on this?

My prediction: EP will contain two songs from the forthcoming LP. They don't want to blow their wad too soon, but it is after all titled "An Omen." The four other tracks will be songs that didn't fit with the flow of the LP, and I think one of them will be an instrumental. As for the LP, who knows? Maybe twelve tracks?

blassster
09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

I always dropbox the .zip downloads of digital albums I've bought. This way I don't have to contact the distribution channels to send me another download link (if they're willing) in case of issues on my side. Also, accessibility.

I didn't have a turntable and was in temporary living conditions during the first ep release, but I've got the new one on pre order. Gotta track down the old one sometime :)

richardp
09-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I gave up CDs early last year and have since went entirely digital, and if I want a physical copy, I'll buy it on vinyl. And, just my opinion, but it's such a cop out when people say "not every one has a record player", because honestly, you can go to any second hand store and buy a system for pretty cheap. It's incredibly easy to get a record player. Plus it sounds better and is a more rewarding experience. Just my two cents. CDs are as dead of a format as cassettes and DVDs are.

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I kinda hope there's nothing instrumental - TR/AR have given us almost 100 instrumental pieces over the past 4 years (99 in all, to my count), and I don't know how much Mariqueen can add to the mix to make it not sound like "oh, that would make a good Ghost/that would work well in that scene". Though, I'd quite like to hear an "instrumental" piece that uses Q's voice as an instrument, a la Pink Floyd's The Great Gig In The Sky.

Horican
09-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I kinda hope there's nothing instrumental - TR/AR have given us almost 100 instrumental pieces over the past 4 years (99 in all, to my count), and I don't know how much Mariqueen can add to the mix to make it not sound like "oh, that would make a good Ghost/that would work well in that scene". Though, I'd quite like to hear an "instrumental" piece that uses Q's voice as an instrument, a la Pink Floyd's The Great Gig In The Sky.
FUCK
TR+AR written and released more then 6 hours of instrumental music in the past 4 years. (including The Slip, despite not being written with AR). that's quite a lot.

thelastdisciple
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
What use? How about being able to put it in a CD player without having to keep a stash of blank discs that deteriorate over time? How about being 100% sure that you're listening to the album exactly the way it was meant to be heard, and not wondering if your burner screwed you over by putting gaps where there shouldn't be (or not putting gaps where there should be)? How about something to listen to in your car if you have a CD deck and don't like the sound of FM transmitters, or don't like traveling with an easily lost/stolen $200-$300 MP3 player?

Vinyl is the perfect option? Please. The majority of consumers don't even own a way to listen to vinyl, and of those who do, many own pretty crappy players. Packaging is larger? Great, that means the more albums I buy, the more storage space I have to dedicate to them. And when it comes time to move? I've helped vinyl collectors move - even they agree that it's a pretty shitty thin to deal with.

This!

CDs are definitely my happy medium. Digital is just lazy and intangible, you can get corrupted files or codec troubles, there's definitely no collector's value whatsoever and for the exact reasons you mentioned it's why i avoid "just burning a blank cd" most of the time... at least CDs are a bit more reliable in the way they're pressed that you're hearing an official quality, a lot more precise... yes there's fuck ups from time to time but it's a lot less common in comparison, also the little booklets or inserts that come with most CDs they're very convenient for artist signatures at a concert or event..you can easily fit something like that in your pocket and not have it all bent up if your careful whereas obviously with Digital you have nothing to show for it at all unless you have some wicked awesome photo printer that can reproduce shit like that in a similar quality.. and also carrying around a big Vinyl sleeve can be a bit obnoxious, it's more prone to being damaged.

Vinyl's just a bit more expensive for someone on a day to day budget and yes they definitely take up a helluva lot more space, i don't wish to fork out on a record player that's over $100 just yet and going second hand for this medium would be a bit shady and not guaranteeing of a good experience so no thanks.

How much you want to bet the vinyls for this EP will only be a limited run anyways...which means once they run out... stuck with shitty digital.

It's definitely disappointing that they're ditching the CD option for the EP, yes i realize it's an expensive endeavor to produce but hopefully there will be one for the LP.

richardp
09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
going second hand for this medium would be a bit shady and not guaranteeing of a good experience so no thanks.

Not exactly. I got my system, an old Sony turntable, Sony receiver and two speaker cabinets at a yard sale for 50 bucks a few years ago. Took 'em home, cleaned em off a bit and it sounds amazing. 100 times better than if I were to play a cd through my blu-ray player.

thelastdisciple
09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Not exactly. I got my system, an old Sony turntable, Sony receiver and two speaker cabinets at a yard sale for 50 bucks a few years ago. Took 'em home, cleaned em off a bit and it sounds amazing. 100 times better than if I were to play a cd through my blu-ray player.
Lucky grab then, will just have to keep an eye out i suppose.

I can get a bit too pessimistic with used shit sometimes, i don't blame myself though because I've definitely had the experiences to back it up.

So when do you guys figure we'll be hearing the first single?

jhulud
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
People, people...vinyl, digital, CD, 8-track, Morse Code, Smoke Signals...who gives a rat's ass how it's really released...IT'S NEW HTDA MUSIC!!! Just get psyched and stoked and pumped about THAT! I know I am!!! F U C K Y E A H ! ! !

FernandoDante
09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I gave up CDs early last year and have since went entirely digital, and if I want a physical copy, I'll buy it on vinyl. And, just my opinion, but it's such a cop out when people say "not every one has a record player", because honestly, you can go to any second hand store and buy a system for pretty cheap. It's incredibly easy to get a record player. Plus it sounds better and is a more rewarding experience. Just my two cents. CDs are as dead of a format as cassettes and DVDs are.Not everyone has a record player, and not everyone wants to start paying for a brand new musical collection in a format that's (much) more expensive and has some other downsides (space/fragility/cleaning up). It's not a cop out, it's financially inconvenient to start over. I think you were lucky in buying an old turntable that isn't shit. Every time I see one for sale, it's missing the needle. Also, DVDs are dead? I don't think I know more than two people who own Blu-Ray players around here - and neither of them are really sure what HD is, they just bought the expensive new thing at the store. DVD is still too massively available and accepted to be "dead". Of course us NIN fans have been used to HD and high-end stuff for a few years now, but IMO we're the minority.

somewhat_
09-22-2012, 06:04 PM
So when do you guys figure we'll be hearing the first single?

I'm going to go with the next week or two.

DigitalChaos
09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I haven't had removable media for almost a decade now. I buy the CD's only for the sake of collecting something physical. I'd much rather have the CD replaced with other cool shit in the box.

screwdriver
09-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Not everyone has a record player, and not everyone wants to start paying for a brand new musical collection in a format that's (much) more expensive and has some other downsides (space/fragility/cleaning up). It's not a cop out, it's financially inconvenient to start over. I think you were lucky in buying an old turntable that isn't shit. Every time I see one for sale, it's missing the needle. Also, DVDs are dead? I don't think I know more than two people who own Blu-Ray players around here - and neither of them are really sure what HD is, they just bought the expensive new thing at the store. DVD is still too massively available and accepted to be "dead". Of course us NIN fans have been used to HD and high-end stuff for a few years now, but IMO we're the minority.

we get it, bro; you're unhappy with the major label and the lack of CDs. I'll burn you a CD and we'll teach them a lesson.

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 06:45 PM
CDs are cool, this album isn't on CD, some people dislike that fact /topic

carpenoctem
09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Man I hope the "DVDs are dead" thing is just a fringe opinion by one guy who owns a bunch of Blu-Rays, because I'm tired of the Next Big Thing trend in electronics. I have no need to see individual facial hairs and beads of sweat on Matthew Fox's face in LOST. Just let me watch my DVDs in peace, entertainment industry.

In other news, I'd like new HTDA to be on CDs, please, even if it's just a limited run. People are always decrying the death of [insert medium here], but hey, even cassettes are coming back for nostalgic hipsters these days!

jessamineny
09-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I remember when CDs first came out. My mother brought home Thriller. (We did not have a CD player yet.) She said they were indestructible, and told me to scrape it over the brick fireplace. You can imagine what happened next. :)

They said CDs would kill vinyl. You know what happened there. Lord, I remember the MiniDisc. Whatever. We'll move on (or come back full circle).

Nora Can Cans
09-22-2012, 07:16 PM
http://static.lockerz.com/decalz/medium/image001344961048914f2m1od.gif

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't listen to any music unless it's on a phonograph cylinder

BRoswell
09-22-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't listen to any music unless it's on a phonograph cylinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Man I hope the "DVDs are dead" thing is just a fringe opinion by one guy who owns a bunch of Blu-Rays, because I'm tired of the Next Big Thing trend in electronics. I have no need to see individual facial hairs and beads of sweat on Matthew Fox's face in LOST. Just let me watch my DVDs in peace, entertainment industry.

Why does everyone who is against Blu-ray/HD make the "sweat and pores" argument, as if that's the only reason to watch something in HD?

DigitalChaos
09-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Removable media is dead. The people who want to sell you shit aren't going to say that though. They need a new format every few years to sell you.

Shnoorum
09-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I would quite like a cd copy myself but as stated, I'll be happy just hearing it.

I'd prefer all track to be vocal since Mariqueen has got an amazing voice. I'd quite like to hear her do something agressive, just out of curiosity. So far her vocals have been really calm, it would be awesome to hear her belt something out.

So far Robs artwork has been fantastic. I'm loving the picture of them all together and its nice to see Rob getting a nice firm place in the band. He really
deserves the recognition.

I hope we dont have to wait long for atleast something audio/video from them. Personally I think we'll hear something "soon"