PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

r_z
11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I disagree with the haters, but I can totally see where they're coming from. An omen_ EP_ is a very quite, calm, relaxing group of songs to listen to. If you like NIN because of the loud, aggressive songs you're probably not going to like the EP.

How to destroy angels_ is not Nine Inch Nails. Don't try to pretend that they are. Don't think it's going to be the same sound. You will be disappointed.

The quiet and calm instrumental stuff that TR and co. have been putting out is the main music I listen to. (That, and folk music.)

That's far to easy, man. No one complained about HTDA being not NIN enough. Quite the opposite.

Plus: What's with the term "hater" nowadays? Seems to me, I'm a hater soley for trying to ellaborate my critisism(s) on new music or movies. I think, in a way that's really shouting down the more nuanced voices of dissent. That a lot of listeners/viewers honestly like or love a certain movie or album is fair enough, but the endless superlatives being hurled by critics and fans high and low help to make perspective a casualty of hype. This is not necessarily the case here with "An Omen" or the video ('though I think I know now, what Trent meant by "preaching to the choir"). I still wanted to adress that, as I've come across that term quite often in recent times...

BenAkenobi
11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Presideo reminded me how i fucking love Paul Banks' vocals, both in Interpol and Julian Plenti. I have absolutely no reason to demand even slightly comparable performance from Mariqueen but if it came just a millimeter close, i'd be so happy. damn you for drawing these parallels, which i now cannot forget!

Warped_Savant
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Plus: What's with the term "hater" nowadays? Seems to me, I'm a hater soley for trying to ellaborate my critisism(s) on new music or movies.
I used it because it's quicker than saying "People that don't like the album"....
And okay, you're right, people aren't exactly saying that that HDTA isn't NIN enough... but when people are comparing one band to another (maybe you didn't, but others definitely have) and talking about how they like one much more than the other and that they expected something different from Reznor... Well, I'm sure you can see why that looks like they're comparing one to the other...

Canuckle
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I used it because it's quicker than saying "People that don't like the album"....
And okay, you're right, people aren't exactly saying that that HDTA isn't NIN enough... but when people are comparing one band to another (maybe you didn't, but others definitely have) and talking about how they like one much more than the other and that they expected something different from Reznor... Well, I'm sure you can see why that looks like they're comparing one to the other...

The issue I think r_z is getting at is that "hater" is used too broadly to classify ALL people who dislike a certain form of culture. If someone provides me concrete criticism that is well thought out, then who am I to argue with their tastes? However, if someone boldly offers their opinion without merit or simply shouts numerous fallacious arguments.... then they are generally classified as a "hater"; as their dislike for the culture medium is being presented unfairly.

This thread showcases some great examples of people expressing their opinions while making their arguments completely invalid by either throwing out an incorrect facts (e.g., MaryQ didn't do the Immigrant Song because she couldn't), not having all the facts themselves (e.g., "I haven't listened to the album") or over-exaggerating opinions (e.g., "Embarrassed", "Loathsome").

All that being said, people are too quick to jump on criticism these days. We forget to ask why people have said what they have and maybe there is a good reason behind it.

Canuckle
11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
As for the video, I too was waiting for something to happen.

Ice Age is not my favourite on the album as I feel the song is about 2 minutes too long. I understand the build up and the development of that 'icy' momentum, however is does wane on me near the end (that's just me though).

The video helps me get by this by providing me with something more visually interesting in the last 1/3 of the song. I love the shot out the window of the waves crashing.

aggroculture
11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
This thread showcases some great examples of people expressing their opinions while making their arguments completely invalid by either throwing out an incorrect facts (e.g., MaryQ didn't do the Immigrant Song because she couldn't), not having all the facts themselves (e.g., "I haven't listened to the album") or over-exaggerating opinions (e.g., "Embarrassed", "Loathsome").

Once again: I'm only commenting on the Ice Age video and song (with the first EP in mind). Actually I was just about to buy the new EP on amazon, and I saw the video had been released. So I watched it, and decided maybe I didn't want to spend that $5 after all. Are you saying I'm not qualified to an opinion on the video/song until I've listened to the whole EP? I can see that perspective. I can also see the opposite. The video/song put me off wanting more, and I'm voicing that reaction. I just felt negatively moved by that video, but maybe I should keep my feelings to myself until I have heard the whole EP: maybe the rest of it is very different from Ice Age and the first EP and I will be pleasantly surprised, who knows.

snaapz
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.

I can relate to the video. I get it, in my own little world. That's all I will say about this very different and interesting video. P.S. - Is it supposed to be depressing? I feel as though it could open up some locked up and dark rooms in my head.

Amaro
11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.

LOL AHHH that shit got me nicely. Don't mind me, I was just caught off guard from this and now I'm crying.

The video is interesting... And I really don't like watching it. In that way it fits very well because I don't wanna hear the song again.

r_z
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.

Canuckle
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.

The second interpretation is what I meant. People sometimes call someone a "hater" just because they don't share the same view or tastes as that person. Which is ridiculous, considering we all can't like everything. For example, I doubt I will ever listen to Ghosts front to back again. While interesting the first time through, and some memorable stand-out tracks; the entire package just doesn't have the staying power some other NIN releases do. Does that make me a "hater"? I don't think so; but no doubt if I said that after the release of Ghosts, I would be called a "hater" for not fawning over the entire album.

"Haters" generally are those that present criticism on the backs of illogical and uninformed arguments.

WorzelG
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
A bit more info on ALL the band wouldn't go amiss - like the Facebook Q&A they all did back when the first EP was released which was fun. Referring to the arguments above, when the interviews are all just Trent Trent Trent it's a bit hard not to see it as HIS project. Is it that the press / blogs whatever just won't allow anyone else in ?? Or is something planned for the future, I guess it's early stages

DigitalChaos
11-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Not sure if anyone said this already, but this is what Sheridan was playing in the Ice Age video: PPG Realizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php

In 1986, Wolfgang Palm designed and began work on a prototype for his most ambitious project yet - the Realizer, an all-in-one studio machine which combined production, recording, sequencing, and mixing tools into one machine in addition to a sophisticated sampling and synthesis system. It also had the ability to load emulations of other popular synthesizers, such as aMinimoog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimoog). The system proved to be too far ahead of its time, and was so expensive to create that its projected retail price was almost US$60,000 (GB£34,000). As such, it was never sold, or even got beyond the prototype phase. There are rumored to be two prototype versions in existence, each with slightly different front panel controls. As interest in Palm's other products waned, the cost of developing the Realizer was high enough to put PPG into serious debt. As such, PPG officially ceased business operations and closed its doors in 1987 after shelving the Realizer project.

DigitalChaos
11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Bonus picture of Rob Sheridan playing it
http://i.imgur.com/gOhue.jpg

carpenoctem
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm finding this EP a lot less stimulating than the first as time goes on.
Some good sounds, and at least it's (somewhat) different.

Maybe I'll warm up to it, but it's going on the honorable mentions list this year.

my voice just
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
OFFTOP:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me9wrzaZOQ1qbl7hpo1_1280.jpg

sheepdean
11-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I hope we'll get an interview with director or something about the video again, like we did for TSIB.

my voice just
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
https://twitter.com/i/#!/destroyangels/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Finstagr.am%2Fp%2FRK6W5t kKA4%2Fhttps://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/7fd63ea01df111e298dc22000a1fc2d3_7.jpg
where are you from, atticus?..

sheepdean
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
https://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/7fd63ea01df111e298dc22000a1fc2d3_7.jpg
where are you from, atticus?..
The 6 video theory might be onto something I guess - we have 2 videos and a still from one that we don't have, nor does it fit either of the others to have been an outtake...

Come on, An Omen EP Movie to be released in FutureTorrent in 12 years!

jessamineny
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
I think the photo of Atticus might actually from Ice Age, before it was heavily edited in post-production. Take a look at the video just past 5:45. There's a sequence of Atticus that looks like it could be from the same scene as the above photo -- just made nearly unrecognizable because of the special effects. (The photo also has walls and a beamed ceiling that look like the cabin.)

sheepdean
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I see what you mean, but the angle of the camera and a few other things seem wrong. Maybe I'm being hopeful :P

butter_hole
11-30-2012, 06:21 AM
I think the photo of Atticus might actually from Ice Age, before it was heavily edited in post-production. Take a look at the video just past 5:45. There's a sequence of Atticus that looks like it could be from the same scene as the above photo -- just made nearly unrecognizable because of the special effects. (The photo also has walls and a beamed ceiling that look like the cabin.)
shhh stop being so logical!

shagg_187
11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Here's hoping it takes the direction of Broken EP and make a collection of videos out of these tracks.

sheepdean
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
So, teh video for Ice Age is about separation from your past and from people you care about, yeah?

snaapz
11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
So, teh video for Ice Age is about separation from your past and from people you care about, yeah?

I see that too, maybe with a dash of how current times are in bad condition? Why let go of good memories?

WorzelG
11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
^^
taken literally, a new ice age would be a disaster for humanity, maybe the LP is some dystopian future environmental thing

R37R0
11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I hope they bring out a CD for the album, whilst I'm liking the whole vinyl approach for EPs, it would be nice to get he album in a more portable format which I can play at my desk. I know they have released FLAC versions, but I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer

Vertigo
11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
^^
taken literally, a new ice age would be a disaster for humanity, maybe the LP is some dystopian future environmental thing

Taken literally, we are living in an ice age right now. When Panama slips back into the ocean, things are going to get extremely fucking dystopian for anything that survives our greedy little bout of extinctioning.
...But yes, in the shorter term, another glacial period would be rather unpleasant. "Glacial Period" could have had some eyebrow-raising interpretations as a song title, however.

jessamineny
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Edit: moved to the "loathsome" thread

gorast
11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I hope they bring out a CD for the album, whilst I'm liking the whole vinyl approach for EPs, it would be nice to get he album in a more portable format which I can play at my desk. I know they have released FLAC versions, but I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer
The only reason we didn't get a CD for this release is because CDs are more expensive to print and profit margins would go down as a result. Plus this is basically a promo release with a Sigil number, a CD would be completely pointless.

Honestly I wouldn't even care if there wasn't a CD for the full-length, so long as a vinyl was pressed.

jessamineny
11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
The only reason we didn't get a CD for this release is because CDs are more expensive to print and profit margins would go down as a result. Plus this is basically a promo release with a Sigil number, a CD would be completely pointless.

A promo is something released in limited numbers, generally used for promotional purposes. This is a regular commercial release of an EP.

I would actually speculate that there was no CD because TR hates releasing CDs in cheap jewel cases -- I seem to remember him fighting with Interscope for digipacks. Perhaps he couldn't win that fight with Columbia, or he thought it was better to spend more of his budget on videos instead of ponying up for digipacks.

sheepdean
11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I want a CD for the full length, not for me but for the HUGE number of people I've seen who do want it. Put it in a fucking card sleeve if you wanna save on costs, but it needs to be printed.

Although, everything should also be on BD in 5.1

Camille
12-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer

A well looked after cd-r can last a long time too. Just saying.

Leviathant
12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
A well looked after cd-r can last a long time too. Just saying.

Actually, it depends on the material the CD-R is made from. You can keep it in as good condition as you want it, but certain makes of CDR deteriorate after about a decade, no matter what you do.

sheepdean
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
That same CD rot can happen eventually to normal CDs too, though it takes a couple decades more

Camille
12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Actually, it depends on the material the CD-R is made from. You can keep it in as good condition as you want it, but certain makes of CDR deteriorate after about a decade, no matter what you do.

Indeed, it was clumsy of me to overlook that.

Frozen Beach
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I wish there was a 24bit release for this e.p.

arsenic
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
http://soundcloud.com/fuckmylife/htda-ice-age-deadmau5-remix

was this posted already?

sheepdean
12-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Not the best remix, but it's not bad. Prefer the original though

arsenic
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Not the best remix, but it's not bad. Prefer the original though

so do I. Still much better than the two Keep it together remixes IMO

witte
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
great remix. i must admit, it gives the original another dimension.
advices to download it?

http://soundcloud.com/fuckmylife/htda-ice-age-deadmau5-remixwas this posted already?

arsenic
12-02-2012, 04:50 PM
great remix. i must admit, it gives the original another dimension.
advices to download it?

I used jdownloader, but there are several websites do download mp3s from soundcloud (google: soundcloud downloader)

Shnoorum
12-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Holy crap, after 2 remixes of Keep it Together that I really disliked, Dead-Mau-Five (Thats what it says before anyone jumps at me) comes from nowhere and against all expectations makes a bloody good remix. I am not very big on Dead-Mau-Five so this was very much not expected. Almost sounds like something from the band itself, gonna have to actually pick this one up

The Reason Being
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Takes me back to an interview he did around 2007 where he said his two biggest and earliest influences were NIN and Boards of Canada, ever since then I was holding out for a reznor related remix and this year we got three! I'm glad he's doing stuff like this and "Sleepless".

Should turn a fair few heads to HTDA, nice stuff.

Camille
12-03-2012, 06:31 AM
I think I prefer this remix to the original version. Lovely!

imail724
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Holy crap, after 2 remixes of Keep it Together that I really disliked, Dead-Mau-Five (Thats what it says before anyone jumps at me) comes from nowhere and against all expectations makes a bloody good remix. I am not very big on Dead-Mau-Five so this was very much not expected. Almost sounds like something from the band itself, gonna have to actually pick this one up
3? I know there was a Survivalism one, what was the other?

Shnoorum
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Sorry, I meant the 2 recent HTDA remixes of Keep it Together. Didn't realised Dead-Mau-Five did a Survivalism remix, gonna have to check it out now

imail724
12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I meant the 2 recent HTDA remixes of Keep it Together. Didn't realised Dead-Mau-Five did a Survivalism remix, gonna have to check it out now
My bad actually, I didn't mean to quote you. Let's try this again:

Takes me back to an interview he did around 2007 where he said his two biggest and earliest influences were NIN and Boards of Canada, ever since then I was holding out for a reznor related remix and this year we got three! I'm glad he's doing stuff like this and "Sleepless".

Should turn a fair few heads to HTDA, nice stuff.3? I know there was a Survivalism one, what was the other?

buckaroo
12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I think I prefer this remix to the original version. Lovely!

yeah, me too. it makes it a little more dynamic which helps i think.

dominik
12-03-2012, 02:08 PM
fuuuuck this remix is awesome.

The Reason Being
12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
There's a seperate mix he did for Survivalism, which was dubbed (Instrumental) even though it still had vocals. Really nice Trent-esque piano on it and I much prefer it to the other one. Sorry to confuse!

wizfan
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I like the video a lot - loved The Road, too. I find it interesting that the "analog video" effects were not made by Rob, but that guy they hired created a similar-looking effect. Kinda sad that Atticus was hidden in the shadows so much. I want more Atticus in my vids. Waaah.

I believe Ice Age, music-, lyric- and video-wise, deals with themes of isolation and loss of touch with the outside world, which leads to stagnation (hence, "Ice Age") and, gradually, desperation. The blacked-out people in the family home videos may be about the loss of a loved one, and reminded me of the artwork for Porcupine Tree's In Absentia (with the smudged faces) and the video for LCD Soundsystem's "Someone Great" (which definitely deals with tragedy).

Everybody is in a dark place, staying there "sitting in a very cold and sterile environment", while the ocean outside is clear. "Ocean, help me find a way": The narrator is begging for something to give them hope, get them out from wherever their life is stuck. Mariqueen sheds a tear in the video and, at the end, stands still while the room freezes over. She's abandoning all hope that she will be able to leave that place, and just accepts her fate and lets it swallow her to darkness.

fortheloveofgod
12-03-2012, 09:02 PM

That was all I could think if too. I got excited when I saw songs of his named Closer and Sunspot on Soundcloud.

jrdsctt
12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Looks like Trent is getting pissed on Facebook again (Scroll down a bit): https://www.facebook.com/jairus.khan/posts/490392890982598

Deepvoid
12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
On the Wing has been growing on me.
You can literally sign the lyrics of Into The Void over The Loop Closes starting at around 1:36. It's ridiculous.

Beta
12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
deadmau5 remix: 102410 plays in 1 day....

r_z
12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
deadmau5 remix: 102410 plays in 1 day....

definitely a clever move letting him remix a song...

sheepdean
12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know if they "let" him, it seems fairly unofficial to me

Leviathant
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know if they "let" him, it seems fairly unofficial to me

Are there multitracks publicly available? Seems like he's got better separation on the parts than can be accomplished with what's publicly available. That said, I don't think calling it a "clever move" makes sense. When has Trent Reznor not let modern electronic artists remix his work?

sheepdean
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, unofficial in that it's not licensed by our new lords and masters, Columbia - HTDA might've sent him the multis, but the lack of proper tagging and publicity says to me it's not one that's official - Deadmau5 remixes should surely have more publicity than Dave Sitek ones?

r_z
12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I meant "clever move" in the sense of Deamau5 having a huge fanbase. With over 100.000 plays in one day, it seems to me no publicity is needed, is it? Didn't they talk about trying to reach a wide(r) audience with HTDA? Maybe they liked what he did with Survivalism and approached him for doing another one...

Andrew
12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
total speculation: might not have been HTDA soliciting remixes, it's possible that deadmau5 requested the multitracks to play with by way of his Danny Lohner connection (via Kat Von D)

sheepdean
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Finally got the vinyl, I'm a happy boy now

eversonpoe
12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Finally got the vinyl, I'm a happy boy now

i really love the way this EP sounds on vinyl. gives it a nice warmth. plus, it was WAAAAAAY too low-end-heavy for my taste in the digital files.

sheepdean
12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Idk if it's the vinyl mix or if it's my system (can't play digital files through my hifi), but the vocals and acoustic sounds are so much clearer. And hey, I got a nice remix vinyl that I will probably never open :P

eversonpoe
12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
(can't play digital files through my hifi)

you're just so darn british sometimes. i love it.

sheepdean
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
What do you call them, Freedom Players? :P

ItsJustDave
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
total speculation: might not have been HTDA soliciting remixes, it's possible that deadmau5 requested the multitracks to play with by way of his Danny Lohner connection (via Kat Von D)

I'd love to hear Danny take on a remix for HTDA

Shnoorum
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't know much about this band itself but I'd love to hear a Telefon Tel Aviv remix at some point. From the small amount I've heard of them including their NIN remixes, I really like their chilled out style. I think it'd sit quite nicely in a HTDA track

Harry Seaward
12-05-2012, 08:58 PM
With all this talk of Lohner, Cortini, and Tel Aviv, I want to hear a Puscifer remix now.

Shnoorum
12-05-2012, 09:06 PM
With all this talk of Lohner, Cortini, and Tel Aviv, I want to hear a Puscifer remix now.

My god that would be... Something

Repeater
12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Liars should do a remix! Especially since their last album kinda had the same vibes.

imail724
12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
My copy finally arrived today! If I'm not going to play it, is there any reason I should open it? Like is there any artwork or anything like that inside?

Camille
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
My copy finally arrived today! If I'm not going to play it, is there any reason I should open it? Like is there any artwork or anything like that inside?

There is artwork (different to the art in the digital pdf) and credits on the inner sleeve.

R37R0
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
if its omen ep then there will probably be a mp3 download code in there

witte
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
And a vinyl! 12" I think.

witte
12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
http://hypetrak.com/2012/12/how-to-destroy-angels_-ice-age-the-soft-moon-remix/

The Soft Moon: awesome band, saw them a few weeks ago in Brussels....
Great, great!

sheepdean
12-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Creepy as fuck, I like it though

witte
12-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Love it!ti evoL

fortheloveofgod
12-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Favorite remix so far...

MAD
12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
This remix is by far the best. This raised the bar a lot higher for possible future remixes.

frankie teardrop
12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
of course the soft moon remix slays. one of the best modern bands around...

sheepdean
12-12-2012, 05:46 PM
This is the first remix I've listened to multiple times. Ice Age should've been on the remix vinyl

frankie teardrop
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
hopefully you guys check out the soft moon on the strength of this mix. both LPs are killer. great guys, great music.

gorast
12-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Now I want an Ice age remix vinyl.

bobbie solo
12-13-2012, 12:29 AM
this is way, way better than the original. love it!

gorast
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Anyone else think the end section of the Soft Moon remix sounds a whole lot like the synth solo in The Beginning of the End?

Camille
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Fanbloodytastic!

DigitalChaos
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
The Soft Moon remix is alright. I actually don't like the distorted climb that blasts in several times (first one at 1:29). I don't know if it is the levels or what.. but it doesn't mix with the rest of the song. It sounds to sit completely outside and come from an entirely different source. It's like a car horn right outside my window while I am trying to listen to music on my headphones.

The final climb at 4:10 actually DOES fit in well. It feels like part of the music.

jmtd
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Looks like Trent is getting pissed on Facebook again (Scroll down a bit): https://www.facebook.com/jairus.khan/posts/490392890982598

Deleted it seems. Did anyone save it?

Damion
12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Wow.....the deadmau5 remix makes this song listenable to me. I liked elements of the original but it just didn't seem to go anywhere (for me) but this makes it a song to my ears.

In fact have this remix on repeat.

BenAkenobi
01-01-2013, 03:55 AM
in the new year this was the first music i put on. today i think The loop closes is not the track i would've bought on its own. so i believe my $5 were spread over the five other songs (even though Keep it together was free download, i feel it's much better "investment", especially if i count free remixes)

witte
01-01-2013, 05:58 AM
I hadn't listened to this EP for weeks now.
Yesterday I was relaxing listening to it on my iPhone.
I must say, it's a well balanced EP which stands on its own. Excellent work!

Having a break listening to an album can be enlightening...

Happy NY to you all.

sheepdean
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Found the instruments used in Ice Age (along with a couple of pics of Trent if you like that kinda thing) http://harpguitars.net/blog/2013/01/dark-and-disturbing-dolceolas/

witte
02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm after this.
Watch my title and please give me a chance ;)

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/various/f09d1f5ef096cba03fd042f065d0b1ce_zps566e43bc.jpg

heavenly_bearded
02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
^^^
Oh man I know you all too well... :)

blassster
02-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Found the instruments used in Ice Age (along with a couple of pics of Trent if you like that kinda thing) http://harpguitars.net/blog/2013/01/dark-and-disturbing-dolceolas/

Nice find! I can imagine some cheesy photoshopz coming out of the pics, too (BFG 9000, anyone?).

Ryan
02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Nice find! I can imagine some cheesy photoshopz coming out of the pics, too (BFG 9000, anyone?).

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1077/reznor2minerbfg9000.jpg

sheepdean
02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm after this.
Watch my title and please give me a chance ;)

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/nine_inch_nerd/various/f09d1f5ef096cba03fd042f065d0b1ce_zps566e43bc.jpg
Dude where the fuck did you find that

seasonsinthesky
02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
are the songs tagged with their respective BPM rates on the MP3 download?

witte
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
auction is still going...
hope to get this and rip it for here

witte
02-23-2013, 01:38 PM

$206
No thank you, aufwiedersehn

my voice just
03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
in the light of WO release, this EP feels like NOT FREE album sampler with TWO bonus tracks!

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 06:41 AM
in the light of WO release, this EP feels like NOT FREE album sampler with TWO bonus tracks!
If you have ever bought a single, your argument is irrelevant.

BenAkenobi
03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
excuse me, was that argument positive or negative?

my voice just
03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
If you have ever bought a single, your argument is irrelevant.
An extended play (EP) is a musical recording that contains more music than a single (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_%28music%29)

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes it is. I'm talking about CONTENT. A single is a not-free album sampler. Often it will have no tracks that aren't on the album (or only remixes). So, if someone considers it a bad thing to have a non-free album sampler, then they clearly also despise singles.

screwdriver
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Yes it is. I'm talking about CONTENT. A single is a not-free album sampler. Often it will have no tracks that aren't on the album (or only remixes). So, if someone considers it a bad thing to have a non-free album sampler, then they clearly also despise singles.

That made me realize why the whole "An Omen" thing feels weird now, post-WO... its out of its era. 10+ years ago, this sort of thing was a common way to get a taste of an upcoming release. Like the March of the Pigs maxi-single or TDTWWA single... similar thing. Now, however, we expect every release to be a totally new release, because there's so much music coming out, we have no patience for double dipping.

sheepdean
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
For a band that makes its art with VHS tapes, that might've been intentional

gorast
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
It's like half of you forget that the entire point of An omen_ was for it to be a sampler of the full album, which, according to Rob, was already completely done by the time the EP was released. We were told upfront there'd be overlap because WO was intended to be released when An omen_ was, but then plans changed, so they pushed out a sampler of the full thing instead. Christ, get over it.

theimage13
03-13-2013, 07:40 PM
After all this bitching, I'm glad I decided to bide my time and not actually buy the EP.

That said, now that I've spent some quality time with Welcome oblivion...I'm quite enjoying it. Will it be on my top albums list of this year? Depends on what else comes out. So far, it'll probably be up there for the instrumentation and the fact that I do enjoy everyone's vocals. I will admit though that the line "the more we change, everything stays the same" makes me shudder. It just feels like something that I would have written in sixth grade. I'm not saying I could write better songs than these guys, but every single time I hear that line, I just kind of scratch my head.

I tend to just completely pass by Recursive, too. Six minutes of that super clicky cymbal sample drives me absolutely nuts. There's something about that sound that just makes me need to skip the track...weird, I know.

If I were actually going to make it to any of the shows, I'd love to see The Wake-Up as an opener, maybe with Q doing the vocals off-stage or in the dark? Eh, just something that comes to mind when I hear the song. Great call for the opening track on the disc, that's for sure.

butter_hole
03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Christ, get over it.
the most important part of your comment...

Deadpool
03-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm happy An omen exists - I actually prefer the transitions on the EP to the ones on Welcome oblivion. The LP songs (or at least 'The loop closes') arguably work better in the context of 'The sleep of reason' and 'Speaking in tongues.'

WorzelG
09-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Just been listening to an omen while doing a really dull task, cleaning a bathroom, the sleep of reason produces monsters gave me major goosebumps. I might tack this and speaking in tongues onto the full album in my iPod

neorev
09-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Didn't someone create a tracklisting with the extra Omen tracks within Welcome Oblivion?
I'm not sure what it is... even one of the EP tracks and album tracks intro/outro continue into each from what i remember.

Vertigo
09-14-2014, 05:34 AM
Unintended Consequences (from the Welcome Oblivion vinyl) segues into Speaking In Tongues.

I thought The Sleep Of Reason produces Monsters fit best between On The Wing and Too Late All Gone, I know I had some crazy Lost-conspiracy-theorist explanation for why it belonged there, but can't remember now.

neorev
09-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Unintended Consequences (from the Welcome Oblivion vinyl) segues into Speaking In Tongues.

I thought The Sleep Of Reason produces Monsters fit best between On The Wing and Too Late All Gone, I know I had some crazy Lost-conspiracy-theorist explanation for why it belonged there, but can't remember now.

That's it!

And I like your placement of "The Sleep Of Reason Produces Monsters"
Dunno, your Lost reasoning lol. But it does flow quite nicely. :)

And it "Unintended Consequences" works into "Speaking In Tongues" not just with the outro/intro drone, but the chopped up/sporadic vocals at the end of "Unintended Consequences" going into a track called "Speaking In Tongues." works on many levels. ;)