PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

DVYDRNS
11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
wow. didnt expect ice age at all. thats where im at.

Incendiary Lover
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm really digging On the Wing, its got a Yellow Submarine kind of vibe.

FAP FAP FAP

R-Dot-Yung
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
wow. didnt expect ice age at all. thats where im at.

I really didn't like Keep It Together, however I thought maybe it would fit into the context of the EP. I'm halfway through Ice Age right now (which I am loving the shit out of) and I think that maybe Keep It Together doesn't suck so bad after all.

Seriously digging Ice Age though. If this is the sound of HTDA then I'm down braj.

On The Wing is equally awesome. Consider myself a fan.

PhoenixML
11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I "hated" Keep It Together, thank god this new EP is awesome. I'm at Loop Closes. It's SUCH a relief! Maybe with the whole package, I'm going to reconsider Keep It Together.

thelastdisciple
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
ha ha ha
refrain 'on the wing' = influenced by *insert snipped material here*
No joke!

I heard that similarity too!

thefragile_jake
11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Wow, I'm halfway listening through and I love how you can tell Grizzly Bear had even just a little bit of an influence on his sound.

imail724
11-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Haven't had a chance to listen yet but I like that I'm seeing a lot more "people are gonna hate this" posts than "I hate this", which I've seen none of.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

konstantin
11-08-2012, 10:39 AM
quite lovely actually

witte
11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
the EP appeared on HTDA soundcloud too (http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels).

WorzelG
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow - I love this, only up to On the Wing and REALLY glad I pre-ordered the flac files

BrokenSpiral
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm on Ice age and its is fantastic. Wow. Left field but I love it. Be back in a few!

thefragile_jake
11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Alright, so "Ice Age" is for sure the highlight. The other tracks are pretty stellar as well, I think I'll need a second listen but I for sure liked it way more than I did the previous EP. Good stuff.

Did anyone else get a Fragile era vibe at all during "Speaking in Tongues".

I ike the fact there is so much sound experimentation going on but I hope Trent still applies that when it comes to writing for Nine Inch Nails. I'd really hate HTDA to be his "oh, look what other things I can do and different buttons I can push" while NIN is almost "playing it safe". That being said, though I might not 100% love everything NIN has ever done (Year Zero) I can still appreciate the hell out of it and I'm sure anything new by NIN we'll be in that same entity.

gorast
11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
edit: and the soundcloud page confirms this is sigil 3 (so keep it together isn't a sigil) (so what the fuck was sigil 1 then)

I thought we all just assumed A Drowning was Sigil 1? I wonder if the KIT 12'' promo will have a Sigil number.

Anyway...goddamn that was an album. Maybe that's the "new music bias" speaking, but I was blown away.

They did a total bait and switch by releasing Keep it Together as the first single, the rest of the EP sounds nothing like it.

After the first listen, I think I'll say Ice Age is my favorite track. Simply amazing.

jrdsctt
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
This is fucking incredible. I am at a loss of words...

tyrannus
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
its very early, but it also seems like this is going to be very very good. need more time to digest. the loop closes is epic.

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
the EP appeared on HTDA soundcloud too (http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels).
very interesting... the embedded mp3s seem to have the exact same "random" file names as the one on hypem. It's probably nothing but I'll post it for posterity. Normally you don't see that...

J1BvPEG5Mrhw-128-mp3.mp3
9pyXdStb7aD2-128-mp3.mp3
eSKcNq3iOnbq-128-mp3.mp3
h6SAFARbBj59-128-mp3.mp3
pUP5wI6uLNJj-128-mp3.mp3
R2yUXOKdyMst-128-mp3.mp3

edit: I am a gigantic dumbass. hypem is just embedded soundcloud. awesome fail is awesome. leaving my fail up for posterity

NIN64
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Loop closes = my fav. . .

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
god damn it. this is what i get for scripting my shit.

BrokenSpiral
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Ice age and the loop closes are my favorites. The loop closes kinda had an underneath it all mixed with the way out is through kinda vibe to it.

This EP is great. I'd love more songs like Ice Age

profane
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
It's slowly growing on me. I'm on my second listen now. It's a special and surprising piece for sure.

R-Dot-Yung
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Besides the fact that I actually do enjoy the music. I'm really happy this EP has its own sound. It's fun to see what Trent and Atticus find interesting musically and how it's evolved over the last couple years of film scoring.

Almost makes me want to erase the first EP from memory. Not because it's bad, but just because it doesn't sound like what any of them really wanted HTDA to be.

Fragile Teeth
11-08-2012, 11:58 AM
I really like the elements of 3 Ghosts I in the last song on the EP.

screwdriver
11-08-2012, 12:09 PM
has anyone noticed how similar the chorus melody of "on the wing" is to "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone?" ;)

witte
11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
No

edit: 3-4 pages ago

Paper Street
11-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Fucking shit this is awesome.

Fragile Teeth
11-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I "hated" Keep It Together, thank god this new EP is awesome. I'm at Loop Closes. It's SUCH a relief! Maybe with the whole package, I'm going to reconsider Keep It Together.
Yeah, I was a little worried at first just hearing keep it together.

thelastdisciple
11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Now i REALLY can't wait for some performance videos if they do any for the rest of the tracks on the new EP.

baudolino
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
i'd say more mariqueen songs like ice age will be on the lp. she shows some quite good skills there. not all cards have been played yet. but still, awesome ep.

Amaro
11-08-2012, 12:41 PM
has anyone noticed how similar the chorus melody of "on the wing" is to "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone?" ;)

Yep. And Sheryl Crow. And I can't move past it.

Sorry. lol

I don't really like any of this.

BRoswell
11-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I was genuinely surprised (in a good way) when Keep It Together transitioned into Ice Age. Not quite through listening to it, but so far I'm really liking it.

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Trent rocking the tambourine http://instagram.com/p/Rx07T_EKGA/

Reaps
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Ice Age should have been the single. One of the best tracks i've heard all year. This may take a bit of time to digest but it easily surpasses the first EP. The band has finally found their true identity and i like it!

Multitracks please TR..pretty please...

Leviathant
11-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Speaking in Tongues is the standout track for me - great way to wrap the EP!

thevoid99
11-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm listening to the EP right now and... FUCK!!!! I need this record. The first one was pretty good but this one is even better. It's got great grooves, amazing production, Mariqueen's vocals are amazing, the beats are truly out of this world. "Ice Age" is a real standout for me. "Speaking in Tongues" is a great closer. I want the full album... now!!!!

PhoenixML
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
The Loop Closes is definitely my favorite of this EP.

acidpolly
11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Ice Age
The Loop Closes
that's it. well, better than nothing!

arsenic
11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
I love this EP, way better than the first one. Keep it together is maybe the weakest song in it, and yet is the single.
Ice age and The loop closes are awesome. Really good job T,Q,A,R.

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 02:04 PM
I have yet to preorder this EP. I just haven't been that excited about it. Keep It Together just didn't stick for me and I didn't want to buy the album just for the sake of being a Reznor fan. I DID buy the Keep It Together single when it came out.

I've listened to this quite a number of times over the last 7 hours. It is very different from all the prior HTDA and I really like it. Quite a pleasant surprise. Definitely preordering now.

ManBurning
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm going to refrain from posting my thoughts on this, because judging from everyone on here so far, i'm the only one that doesn't like this.
Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag and posted my true thoughts that I didn't like it. Sorry Echoing The Sound, you can beat me up now.

*goes back to listening to the Uncoiled remixes*

simonn
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Loop closes = my fav. . .

This. I thought the hi hat that comes in half way through was a direct sample of the Closer hi hat, could be wrong though.

Very very different from what I was expecting on the whole, just going through it a second time at the moment, but have enjoyed so far, not as ecstatically as some on here, but it's early days! Speaking in tongues sounds almost Satanic in places! Actually less Q on there than I thought there'd be, but when she's on it, she does great.

gorast
11-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I did notice that of the five vocal tracks, Ice age is the only one to feature solely Q on vocals. Pretty big contrast to the first EP, I think. I wonder how the LP will sound in regards to who has what vocal parts.

hellospaceboy
11-08-2012, 02:41 PM
If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen. I'm soooo disappointed! I now officially have ZERO enthusiasm for this band.

Indefinite_Cure
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen. I'm soooo disappointed! I now officially have ZERO enthusiasm for this band.

Funny I had the exact opposite thought. Even if Trent wasn't with this project, I would be interested in it, I would probably even love it more since I would have no expectations.

Leviathant
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Ah well. See ya 'round the NIN forums then.

Camille
11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm liking it. Not really what I was expecting. Not sure what I was ​expecting though.

Camille
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen.
Neither would I, but I'm now glad that his name is attached to it, because I like what I'm hearing.

Anticipation for the full length album will be increasing now I would expect.

somethingelse
11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
There are a few sounds that have tickled my NIN ear before. Sleep of Reason ending has Eraser like sounds which lead into The Loop Closes - with an almost Closer like melody. Ice Age has a 14 Ghosts II feel to the rhythm.
It all sounds familiar yet totally different.

Looking forward to the LP next year!

Dra508
11-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The loop closes - yup, my vote for most radio ready song.

simonn
11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Sleep of Reason ending has Eraser like sounds which lead into The Loop Closes - with an almost Closer like melody.

It's the Closer hi hat, I'm telling you! (from my earlier post @ 792)

Morad
11-08-2012, 04:49 PM

My thoughts exactly. It's a collection of loops by a duo who can do much better (Ross and Reznor, I mean). The only redeeming thing about this entire album is, surprisingly, Mariqueen and her excellent vocals. This isn't different from Nine Inch Nails or the first EP. It's just not good.

If any of you can keep a straight face when hearing Reznor say over and over again "The beginning is the end / Keeps coming round again," then you're more tolerant people than I will ever be.

And now, I will be attacked. *shield up*

MAD
11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I wrote this as I went through the tracks:

Ice Age - Fucking mental. Blew my mind away. What's this?! Reznorian Massive Attack because I absolutely love it. 7 minutes? More like 53 minutes short.
On The Wing -I can see clearly now?! What? I need to hear the lyrics of this because it sounds a bit Modwheelmood / Sonoio-ish at the start and I can't really figure them out. From the ninwiki lyrics this sounds really Fragile-esque. It's like TSN/TGWTDT fathered a child with The Fragile.
The Sleep Of Reason Produces Monsters - I tend to wake up with tracks like these (much better than the fog horn I used). Halfway through the song, a cough. Right after my real cough. That was weird. I like the whispering or whatever is going on in the background as it's distracting from the main repetitive them- wait what?! The song ended :|
The Loop Closes -It reminds me of the Portal 2 soundtrack, sans bass line. I really like the layering here. Again, I hear some The Fragile stuff, like Slipping Away. I like the crescendo. Trent has some nice voice action there but overall the track doesn't have that wow thing the previous ones had.
Speaking in Tongues - If this is how Ghosts with lyrics is supposed to sound, then I'm happy. It's dark, cold, repetitive, creepy. It's a soundtrack for traveling to one of those haunted houses in Europe (pick any country, really) and fuck your SO while this is blasting up to eleven.

BRoswell
11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
If any of you can keep a straight face when hearing Reznor say over and over again "The beginning is the end / Keeps coming round again," then you're more tolerant people than I will ever be.

"I was up above it
But now I'm down in it."

Just saying...

Also, anyone who can say something like Ice Age is just Nine Inch Nails with Mariqueen taking on vocal duties just wants to hate this.

jhulud
11-08-2012, 05:11 PM
One thorough listen so far and all I can say is:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jhulud/Random/ILikeIt.jpg

howdidislipinto
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Digging it. Can't wait for the lossless files and a good headphone listen. Really like the diversity of the EP. Even The Loop Closes, which sounded fairly GWTDT-ish at first, takes that great left turn with the chanting. So far Speaking In Tongues is the only track I can't quite get a grasp on, but that could definitely change.

And while I don't quite know if this is how they're thinking or planning it -- if three of these songs are essentially "b-sides" from the album, I can't wait for what the album has in store for us.

As for most of you, Ice Age came as a wonderfully pleasant surprise after Keep It Together. I've been listening to Ming & Ping's Chinatown this last week, and I ADORE Mariqueen's vocals on that track. I was hoping either something on this EP or something on the album would capture her vocals as wonderfully, sans distortion or effects. Ice Age did it perfectly.

Morad
11-08-2012, 06:06 PM
"I was up above it
But now I'm down in it."

Just saying...

The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man, who is also credited for writing "Zero-Sum."

sheepdean
Also, anyone who can say something like Ice Age is just Nine Inch Nails with Mariqueen taking on vocal duties just wants to hate this.
Fo sheezy, it is the least TR/AR track I've ever heard, this is not a track that can be labelled a Ghosts outtake with lyrics, or whatever else people labelled EP1, this is clearly a unique track with its own sound. Whether or not this will be the "HTDA sound" remains to be seen, but it's original, it's funky and it's fucking good.

Reznor2112
Im sorry but HTDA now officially = Trent turning on the mics while his kids bang around their fucking tinker toys. I loved the debut Ep and the song from GWTDT but this EP sounds hurried and uninspired.

Trent is still stuck in the film scoring thought process. Maybe these tracks will sound better on the full length but this EP sounds tired and tried. Over usage of the banging and clanking gets old real fucking quick.

Never thought I'd say this because I loved the two previous ventures. But these 6 songs sound like one long song. Not worth the overhype and wait.

Magtig
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
This EP sounds decidedly un-hurried.

Ice age is the first time Reznor and Co have surprised me in years.

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Never thought I'd say this because I loved the two previous ventures. But these 6 songs sound like one long song. Not worth the overhype and wait.
...are you listening to this through Skullcandy headphones or something? Even if you don't like it due to some kind of brain abnormality, the tracks sound NOTHING alike

johnbron
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I liked that post for the Skullcandy bash. Horrible headphones.

On topic, I'm on board with Ice Age being fantastic. Still mostly bored by the rest. I'll listen a few more times but I don't expect that to change for me.

Reznor2112
11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
This EP sounds decidedly un-hurried.

Ice age is the first time Reznor and Co have surprised me in years.

Well that's where we will disagree. Ice age is just about 4 mins too long. This album is boring

Reznor2112
11-08-2012, 06:29 PM
...are you listening to this through Skullcandy headphones or something? Even if you don't like it due to some kind of brain abnormality, the tracks sound NOTHING alike

It is not a brain abnormality to think that 1 thing Reznor shits out actually stinks. So don't get your panties in a wad because someone doesn't like something your precious Trent puts out.

Sorry for the double post

jrdsctt
11-08-2012, 06:32 PM
The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man, who is also credited for writing "Zero-Sum."

I'm pretty sure Mariqueen writes all the lyrics for the band.

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Mariqueen writes all the lyrics for the band.
I think she writes most of them, but it's all collaborative at the end. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent had a heavier lyrical involvement in On The Wing, for example

somethingelse
11-08-2012, 06:41 PM
It's the Closer hi hat, I'm telling you! (from my earlier post @ 792)

hahaha.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

I haven't really delved into Mariqueen's, nor Atticus' back catalog so it is hard for me to draw comparisons how each entity influenced the music of HTDA.
There is definite familiarities in sound from previous work, but it's all bubbling up from the same psyche...

Jebus
11-08-2012, 06:46 PM
There is nothing on this album I don't like. I just want more now.

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
If anyone's interested, I think I have it pretty close (though I'm sure the whispered lines at the end have a couple more variation that I can't make out) http://www.ninwiki.com/Speaking_In_Tongues#Lyrics

joplinpicasso
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
My quick thoughts, with spoilerz:

A vast improvement over the first EP, with a more unified sound, for sure! I was tricked by the album cover, as the songs are a bit warmer than Rob's art lets on. I definitely agree with comparison's of TR's work with Saul; I don't like summing up music like this, but, it's like Niggy Tardust + TGWTDT. It's completely cool. HTDA don't produce Classic, Thematic Songs like "The Fragile," "Something I Can Never Have," or "Zero-Sum" (though "A Drowning" comes close), and I'm fine with that. Lyrics here kind of take a backseat for me.

trust in dust
11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Fucking awesome EP actually, Keep it Together is good and maybe the weakest song on the album. Ice Age is such a great song, didn't except it and love it. none of the songs are bad,

BRoswell
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man

Exactly, so why are you so down on it?

And repetitive lyrics have always been a part of the Nine Inch Nails arsenal in one way or another. That brings me to another point: why does How To Destroy Angels have to change everything or else it's a miserable failure? That's just a ridiculous notion to me. Some things just work, and anybody who expects this to be such a radical departure from Nine Inch Nails have only themselves to blame if they're disappointed. I get it if it's just not your thing and you much prefer the sound of anything from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but saying "This is too Nine Inch Nails!" doesn't strike me as something to complain about. Nine Inch Nails IS in the band, no? It's going to sound similar. I mean, when Trent said it was going to be a bit different, did you expect a folk record or something? If so, see my previous point about having no one else to blame. I've seen enough differences in this band to justify seeing it as separate entity that still has one foot in that sound I've grown to love, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you hate the sound, cool, but this whole business of hating it because it might not be a major difference is fucking ridiculous.

gorast
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Exactly, so why are you so down on it?

And repetitive lyrics have always been a part of the Nine Inch Nails arsenal in one way or another. That brings me to another point: why does How To Destroy Angels have to change everything or else it's a miserable failure? That's just a ridiculous notion to me. Some things just work, and anybody who expects this to be such a radical departure from Nine Inch Nails have only themselves to blame if they're disappointed. I get it if it's just not your thing and you much prefer the sound of anything from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but saying "This is too Nine Inch Nails!" doesn't strike me as something to complain about. Nine Inch Nails IS in the band, no? It's going to sound similar. I mean, when Trent said it was going to be a bit different, did you expect a folk record or something? If so, see my previous point about having no one else to blame. I've seen enough differences in this band to justify seeing it as separate entity that still has one foot in that sound I've grown to love, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you hate the sound, cool, but this whole business of hating it because it might not be a major difference is fucking ridiculous.
Reminds me of people that would shit on Dave Grohl's early work with Foo Fighters because it sounded like Nirvana. "What, you want me to make a fucking reggae record?"

Of course the album's going to sound similar to NIN, and TSN, and TGWTDT, because it's the same people. You can't just flip a switch and suddenly make music on the opposite spectrum of what you've been doing for over twenty years.

That said, HTDA is definitely different enough in its sound now to establish itself as a truly separate entity, and I think they succeeded with that. The EP is a great listen, and Ice age in particular is incredibly good.

The Reason Being
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
If anyone's interested, I think I have it pretty close (though I'm sure the whispered lines at the end have a couple more variation that I can't make out) http://www.ninwiki.com/Speaking_In_Tongues#Lyrics

I can definitely hear "Speaking in tongues / this has begun" in that last part. Also, this song becomes a lot more sinister when you really listen to the lyrics.

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
well done on ALL the lyric pages. I am so incredibly bad at that. I could supply an endless stream to a "misheard lyrics" thread. I suck.

SM Rollinger
11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Not feeling Ice Age so much (guess i was expecting something else?) But the last three tracks, Sleep of Reason, Loop and Tounges, are all esquisite. Tounges is really experemental for any of these folks to do, i like that.

I was really torn on weather or not to listen to this before the actual release, but im looking forward to checking this out on my actual stereo once i get the FLACs

snaapz
11-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow. It's just great! Not sure what else to say, other than I'm glad I used headphones and was uninterrupted for the listen. This is seriously clear and powerful. The mix of traditional instruments & live percussion with the electronics is done brilliantly.

I swear, when "The Sleep..." started I had my eyes closed already. I felt like I was in a dark place and slowly being surrounded by bright orbs circling around me and I was being guided somewhere by this angelic voice. I like how the song shifted.

I do love TRs piano, but I'm happy it was not over used. I'm also happy with them using MQs voice for more than just "singing". She sounds really good. I'm also happy with the amount of arp used. There's a lot to cover and a lot of interesting things they did. I can honestly say that this is a great listen & it goes beyond "music".

snaapz
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
P.S. - Yea, I just listened through again with my PC speakers and the difference is huge compared to my first listen with decent headphones. Unless you have studio monitors, use headphones.

Highly Psychological
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree that even if i did not know this was Trent i would still like it download it and listen to it a fair bit.

Some tracks have some brilliant sounds, really catch my attention, Ice Age sounds like it could have been on 4AD records. I like the ambient leanings too. 3 tracks are really good which is more than i was expecting. I dont think its the best thing he has done or anything but it is good. Dont love it, but i do like it. Some of Rez's work over past decade i have just not liked at all, but i think this is good.
NIN had such a varied musicology, but it does not sound like anything he has been involved with before.

witte
11-08-2012, 09:58 PM
P.S. - Yea, I just listened through again with my PC speakers and the difference is huge compared to my first listen with decent headphones. Unless you have studio monitors, use headphones.

is a "Denon" amplifier, a "Sunfire" subwoofer and two "JM Labs" speakers also fine?

Christo
11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi ternt. I no u b reedin dis tred.

eversonpoe
11-08-2012, 10:20 PM
is a "Denon" amplifier, a "Sunfire" subwoofer and two "JM Labs" speakers also fine?

absolutely, my friend. you're in good shape for listening to any high quality music. just make sure you're not in some weird surround mode (you have no idea how often my customers end up in "Hall In Vienna" or "Mono Movie" on their receivers...)

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm gonna be seriously depressed once the LP is out and we have no more HTDA on the horizon. All the waiting has paid off in and extreme way. This EP may have just topped my favourite record of all time. I seriously love it. I really hope they continue with the band after this, not that I have any reason to believe otherwise. Also, I'm sorry HTDA. I kinda downloaded it all. I will be buying it the moment it's out however, I just needed this mobile right now

ninperu
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
--> https://twitter.com/ninperu/status/266762093859049472

Conrad Lienert
11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Just finished my first listen of the new EP! Bravo, HTDA, bravo! I enjoyed it all.
A couple of points:
- Ice Age has got to be on the next Girl Who Played With Fire (if it's ever released, I think that's the next one?)
- The Loop Closes is going to kick ass in concert.
- Speaking In Tongues = Goosebumps!

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 10:55 PM
On the topic of The Loop Closes, I don't know what everyone else is complaining about. When Trent starts singing "The beginning is the end" it absolutely blows me away. I seriously couldn't be happier with this EP. And so the wait for the LP begins

Nirvana23
11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I can't tell whether I love this or the new Deftones album more! That's such a great problem to have!

Going in expecting the same type of vibe from the first ep and KIT I was immediately surprised and happy to hear Ice Age, it's so fantastic!

Dethbryte
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I'll admit that for what it is, it's good. But it's not really my cup of tea. Maybe it'll grow on me eventually.

NotoriousTIMP
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I feel kinda "meh" after listening to it once. I'll wait until I get the 12" and listen to it with a good pair of headphones (hello Beats by Dre!)

thefragile_jake
11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm enjoying this with each new listen.
Ice Age is so good, I would love to see them ditch more electronic sounds and go for more organic acoustic sounds...tracks like "On The Wing" and "The Loop Closes" could be perfect sounding NIN tracks for a possible new record. All in all, I'm super surprised with An Omen and I'm really glad I'm liking it.

My poor dog is sick and I've been on xanax and now sleeping pills due to my mind being so occupied from all the terrible things going on. This as well as the new Deftones and Crystal Castles are helping me take my mind off everything.

gorast
11-09-2012, 12:52 AM
So when's NINWiki's front page gonna be updated with An omen_ EP's pre-order info and things like that?

Oh hey, this was my 200th post. Was it snarky enough?

JessicaSarahS
11-09-2012, 01:18 AM
I really like the elements of 3 Ghosts I in the last song on the EP.

Same here! Speaking in Tongues is my clear favorite so far. The vocals and vibe remind me quite a bit of Fever Ray. I'll have to listen to the others a bit more.

simonn
11-09-2012, 01:29 AM
On the topic of The Loop Closes, I don't know what everyone else is complaining about. When Trent starts singing "The beginning is the end" it absolutely blows me away. I seriously couldn't be happier with this EP. And so the wait for the LP begins

It's just great to hear him singing again. Apart from Zoo Station, (which I loved) this is the first Trent solo vocals since Demon Seed (I think).

Start of The Loop Closes keeps on reminding me of Shout by Tears for Fears, which is worrying!

Listened to this EP about 5 times now, and to be honest, there's nothing I dislike about it. Great stuff.

fillow
11-09-2012, 02:27 AM
How many tracks have the trademark drone guitar in it?

slave2thewage
11-09-2012, 04:23 AM
As somehow who's been bitching about Reznor's output since TSN... I really like this. A LOT.

Emil Dorbell
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Judging from the last EP and Keep It Together I was expecting to dislike Mariqueens vocals. Very surprised at how good she sounds on Ice Age. They should make some more songs with actual instruments and her voice up front. The rest of the EP is... not for me.

Reznor2112
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Ok...I have listened to this thing 5 times through since last night. I have been trying to understand where all the positive comments are coming from...
After finally getting the songs on my iPod and listening to the EP sitting on the back deck this morning whilst drinking coffee...I understand now.

I take back all negative comments on this EP. I guess listening to this after a long hectic day of classes wasnt the best timing. I can now say I am a fan.

Not so much of Ice Age because I feel like it sounds like every Carina Round song (calm down) My 2 favorites are On the Wing and The Loop Closes

So now will you guys let me back in the club???:confused:

Christo
11-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Capitalise the titles for the love of all that is good and holy

WorzelG
11-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok...I have listened to this thing 5 times through since last night. I have been trying to understand where all the positive comments are coming from...
After finally getting the songs on my iPod and listening to the EP sitting on the back deck this morning whilst drinking coffee...I understand now.

I take back all negative comments on this EP. I guess listening to this after a long hectic day of classes wasnt the best timing. I can now say I am a fan.

Not so much of Ice Age because I feel like it sounds like every Carina Round song (calm down) My 2 favorites are On the Wing and The Loop Closes

So now will you guys let me back in the club???:confused:

Why do you feel you have to force yourself to like it? Nobody has been anything but courteous about people's differing opinions on this thread (except for one comment about brain abnormalities which was obviously jokey) but still people pretend they have to duck in and put up shields for being flamed - it's just not happening

danebraddy
11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
umpteenth listen.
Still really like this.
'Speaking in Tongues' reminds me so much of Saul's 'Skin of a Drum' (and a bit of 'Seaweed') and although Q sings on it, if 'The Loop Closes' was labelled as the new NIN single no one would think twice - 'Keep It Together' having a bass line that is somewhere between 'With_Teeth' (song) and 'The Warning' (guitar) also turns me on a bit ;)

I know in the realm of music Trent has been involved in there are always going to be unintentional theme overlaps but "The beginning is the end" and "We have become zeroes and ones, I am the end of it all" coupled with the art direction can't help but make me think that it's related to Year Zero - I know it's not, but the connections are there, and if TR, RS and Atticus weren't involved in any way I would think it was heavily influenced by YZ and post Fragile NIN - I'd still like it - a lot - but I'd be thinking it.

Whats cool is that despite these 'links' or a fan's 'clutching at straws' (take your pick), it still feels like it's own thing and this EP, although made of songs from a larger piece feels cohesive and standalone. As much as I liked the first EP I think one of it's flaws was that it felt like it was a collection of songs ('cause well... it was) whereas An Omen_ feels closer to an 'album' with a consistent mood and theme.

I'm not criticizing this for having some TR-esque influence in there at all, in fact I guess I would find it stranger if all the songs were out complete left field like Ice Age.

I really think this is solid and for those who like this type of thing and aren't looking for the next 'Head Like A Hole' or 'No, You Don't' this is a great taster of what is most likely going to be an awesome album early next year.

frankie teardrop
11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
some really interesting sonic choices here, well executed but ultimately not at all my cup of tea. not at all expecting a NIN-ish sound, but the plucky, current 4AD roster vibe has never been to my liking and it seems like that sound has been heavily explored here.

i do like 'speaking in tongues,' on a positive note.

sick among the pure
11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I have 3 things to say about the EP:
1) I really don't like Ice Age
2) I really really like On The Wing
3) I realized On The Wing reminds me of the music from Katamari Damacy. Especially the vocal effects.

simonn
11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Judging from the last EP and Keep It Together I was expecting to dislike Mariqueens vocals. Very surprised at how good she sounds on Ice Age. They should make some more songs with actual instruments and her voice up front. The rest of the EP is... not for me.

"With actual instruments"

Like it!:D

Emil Dorbell
11-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I really think this is solid and for those who like this type of thing and aren't looking for the next 'Head Like A Hole' or 'No, You Don't' this is a great taster of what is most likely going to be an awesome album early next year.

Oh, what I'd give for a new album full of Head Like A Holes and No You Don'ts :(

GentlemanLoser
11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Oh man Ice Age blew my mind, it was kinda like pop music for a tangent universe, one where I could actually enjoy a ClearChannel radio station.

This whole EP is so strange and not like anything I could have guessed it would be, which in and of itself is the most I could ask for, but man, it really delivers, it's a giver, makes me want to sing Moon River!

Need to give it a proper listen though, I only heard it right before going to bed, skipping the last track, on laptop speakers. What was I thinking!?

tyrannus
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
after several listens, i can say i really really like this. only, it makes me want more. goes by waaaay too fast. i'm quite curious to see how the whole LP goes and where (some of) these songs fit into the big picture.

voidnz
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
EP is great music, perfect as usual but I can't get into it really. It's music for a special mood for me. It's certainly gone in a different direction to the first EP which is a bit catchier.

Since we're getting more NIN i'm not going to bitch about it. It's cool we can get some new Reznor music that's a bit different in the mean time.

Morad
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm just going to leave this here and run away (http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/199603-review-how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen), forever and ever and ever. Ahh, I was actually scared to post it here, but I really wanted to share it with you guys too. So here, we, go.

baudolino
11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm just going to leave this here and run away (http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/199603-review-how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen), forever and ever and ever, because I was actually scared to post it here, but I wanted to share it with you guys too. So here, we, go.

i think its a fair judgement, however none that i share. guess i'm more tolerant and tend/try to fade out legacies when listening to new music. and repetition is an inherent property of life after all :)

and its a well written

BRoswell
11-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm just going to leave this here and run away (http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/199603-review-how-to-destroy-angels-an-omen), forever and ever and ever, because I was actually scared to post it here, but I wanted to share it with you guys too. So here, we, go.

Congrats. You found a negative review. Good on you.

WorzelG
11-09-2012, 02:09 PM
i think its a fair judgement, however none that i share. guess i'm more tolerant and tend/try to fade out legacies when listening to new music. and repetition is an inherited property of life after all :)

and its a well written

I agree - I was expecting a review in the vein of the Pitchfork 'Fragile' 2.0 stars thing but I thought you treated it fairly and pointed out positives and negatives. I mean I did find it a bit jarring when the Sleep of Reason.... Song suddenly stopped but I'll have to listen some more times to argue any more points. Basically my first response was very positive, wanted to dance to most of it, need to listen to it more

Morad
11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Thank you so much, guys. I was trying my best to be fair and objective with the music, and I can't help but think of legacies when listening to this. You can't treat somebody who's set the bar as high as Reznor has like an upstart musician. I would view an upstart musician as an upstart musician surely, but I just can't hold down Trent to such a low standard. His art means way too much to me for me to be able to do that - and again I tried to hollow out all the personal stuff to write an objective review.

Congrats. You found a negative review. Good on you.

I didn't find it. I wrote it, and since everyone was giving their thoughts on the record, I just thought I'd share mine too.

Canuckle
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Thank you so much, guys. I was trying my best to be fair and objective with the music, and I can't help but think of legacies when listening to this. You can't treat somebody who's set the bar as high as Reznor has like an upstart musician. I would view an upstart musician as an upstart musician surely, but I just can't hold down Trent to such a low standard. His art means way too much to me for me to be able to do that - and again I tried to hollow out all the personal stuff to write an objective review.

I didn't find it. I wrote it, and since everyone was giving their thoughts on the record, I just thought I'd share mine too.

I have a quick question. Did you review the album based on the 128 kbps we have all been listening to?

Morad
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I have a quick question? Did you review the album based on the 128 kbps we have all been listening to?

Unfortunately, that's all there was, and you're right, it does make a difference, but I don't think any of that changes what I criticized about the record. I made sure not to talk about anything that could be affected by that quality difference. I tried to, at least. For instance, I have the shitty quality version of Trent's "Tetsuo The Bullet Man" song still, and I can still tell you exactly what I love about it, regardless of its bad audio quality.

BRoswell
11-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I would view an upstart musician as an upstart musician surely, but I just can't hold down Trent to such a low standard.

It's not a low standard. It's a REALISTIC standard. Sure, I could compare this to the greatest points in the Nine Inch Nails catalog, but what's the point? We all know what's going to come out on top. I'm judging this thing on its own merits. If you want to be concerned with legacies and history, that's fine, but I'm more interested in how this music makes me feel, and it makes me feel pretty damn good.

Congrats. You wrote a negative review. Good on you.

Canuckle
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately, that's all there was, and you're right, it does make a difference, but I don't think any of that changes what I criticized about the record. I made sure not to talk about anything that could be affected by that quality difference. I tried to, at least. For instance, I have the shitty quality version of Trent's "Tetsuo The Bullet Man" song still, and I can still tell you exactly what I love about it, regardless of its bad audio quality.

Hey, I'm not here to shoot you down, as I do agree that much of your critique can be discerned from the 128kpbs as you speak about mood and composition.

I just think it's a fundamental flaw to review an album in compressed format, much like reviewing a movie from a hand held camera. To each their own; and I assume it's your love of NIN that made you want to put this out ASAP. Just trying to offer a small bit of constructive criticism for ya.

Amaro
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
It's not a low standard. It's a REALISTIC standard. Sure, I could compare this to the greatest points in the Nine Inch Nails catalog, but what's the point? We all know what's going to come out on top. I'm judging this thing on its own merits. If you want to be concerned with legacies and history, that's fine, but I'm more interested in how this music makes me feel, and it makes me feel pretty damn good.

And it apparently wasn't good enough for Morad to make him feel good, or think twice about whatever standards. The end.

I've tried to feel something from this EP, but...I just feel like I'm wasting my time. It's not there.

Canuckle
11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
My two cents/nonsense....

When I view this as an EP, it stands up quite nicely. It does what an EP should. It gives us a cross-section of what the new LP will sound like, while also providing some content that won't be offered. This may explain why some of the blends/flow seems disjointed at times.

My favourite upon my very few listens has to be 'The Loop Closes'. I love songs that drive, and this like many opening NIN tracks drives and builds in momentum. Ice Age was a nice surprise but did feel that it was maybe a minute or two too long. Speaking in Tongues is great for a closer and probably my second favourite, followed by Keep it Together (yes, I actually enjoy this song) which now sounds better in context. Each song brings something different to the table and that makes me excited for the LP.

Mind you, this is all after a half dozen listens. I'll wait to reserve full judgement for when I get the wax.

blassster
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Music reviews: Meh.

Got the vinyl. Visuals look nice in a big print. Download page is 404ing, guessing it's up on Tuesday.

GoodSoldier333
11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Wonder if that cough in Sleep Of Reason was a recorded accident they decided to keep?

thefragile_jake
11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Man, after a couple more listens...I still think Ice Age is the standout track.

So I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but is this thing not coming out in physical CD form? Just digital download and vinyl?

blassster
11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Man, after a couple more listens...I still think Ice Age is the standout track.

So I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but is this thing not coming out in physical CD form? Just digital download and vinyl?

Correct, no CD.

Reznor2112
11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Why do you feel you have to force yourself to like it? Nobody has been anything but courteous about people's differing opinions on this thread (except for one comment about brain abnormalities which was obviously jokey) but still people pretend they have to duck in and put up shields for being flamed - it's just not happening

Wasn't a duck or a dodge at all haha.
It genuinely took a while to grow on me. Upon first listen I hated it. I still hate Keep It Together and dont understand the appeal of Ice Age. The rest of the EP is quite good upon listening to in the right state of mind.

profane
11-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Trent seems to be very interested in what people say on his facebook page.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/Tom_Coolen/Screenshot2012-11-09at235955.png
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/Tom_Coolen/Screenshot2012-11-10at000300.png

WorzelG
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
^^Listening to it now, and loving this EP - it's been very immediate for me, whereas NIN often takes me some time to digest (took me ages to get into the whole of the Tetsuo theme for example, but it really rewarded me in spades).

Can anyone tell me which of these songs are actually on the LP and which are extras please?

Oops - the above just came in while I posted - hmm, I'm certainly looking forward to listening on FLAC files that I ordered

xfocalinx
11-09-2012, 06:42 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/554056_10152245877485346_460136672_n.jpg

I don't see it say "sigil 03" anywhere. Amazing, none-theless.

The Reason Being
11-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Can someone with the vinyl comment on whether The Sleep of Reason seamlessly segues into The Loop Closes? Or is there a gap of silence? That abrupt ending of the former is the only thing i can't get to grips with about the EP. Love everything else.

gorast
11-09-2012, 07:26 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/554056_10152245877485346_460136672_n.jpg

I don't see it say "sigil 03" anywhere. Amazing, none-theless.
Not even on the spine? Hm.

Mine better come in tomorrow, unless you guys bought it from somewhere besides the official website.

FernandoDante
11-09-2012, 07:40 PM
How is there a FLAC on what.CD already? Do people with vinyl have early access to it?

Harry Seaward
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
How is there a FLAC on what.CD already? Do people with vinyl have early access to it?

Good question. Do they have to label vinyl rips separately on what? As far as I knew, the 128 Soundcloud rips were the only ones floating around.

ItsJustDave
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Good question. Do they have to label vinyl rips separately on what? As far as I knew, the 128 Soundcloud rips were the only ones floating around.

Vinyl rips get labelled accordingly on what, when it's actually up (https://twitter.com/whatcd/status/267045310419828737).

xfocalinx
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Not even on the spine? Hm.

Mine better come in tomorrow, unless you guys bought it from somewhere besides the official website.

yes, I got this from a local shop. My pre-order hasn't arrived yet. (yeah, I buy two of everything, no idea why)

FernandoDante
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Vinyl rips get labelled accordingly on what, when it's actually up (https://twitter.com/whatcd/status/267045310419828737).
It's up now, and the WEB version of An Omen is there. FLAC and MP3.

xfocalinx
11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Okay, I just looked at the vinyl again, the color of text on the spine is SO close to the background, it IS listed as "Sigil 03V"

PQHooligan
11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Can someone with the vinyl comment on whether The Sleep of Reason seamlessly segues into The Loop Closes? Or is there a gap of silence? That abrupt ending of the former is the only thing i can't get to grips with about the EP. Love everything else.

I was just about to ask the same thing - really bugs me

BenAkenobi
11-10-2012, 02:22 AM
a nice record save for "beginning/end" babbling

Frozen Beach
11-10-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm enjoying this quite a lot. Personally, I find it the most interesting thing Trent has been involved with in a while.

sheepdean
11-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Wonder if that cough in Sleep Of Reason was a recorded accident they decided to keep?
Considering how many vocals are layered into the song, I reckon it was intentional

Trent seems to be very interested in what people say on his facebook page.
Sigil 4 is no doubt going to be influenced by what people liked on this - SO TRENT, MORE ICE AGE PLEASE.

Frozen Beach
11-10-2012, 03:39 AM
It's unlikely, but I wouldn't mind hearing a Tweaker remix of one of these tracks.

carpenoctem
11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Ice Age, omg. Now I have to find a spot for a 7-minute song on my Christmas gift playlists this year. Love Q's vocals and basically just everything about it.

Deadpool
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM

I've not listened to the EP yet because I'm a chump, but I imagine the vast majority of people here have been rocking the Hype Machine stream? If that's the case, I'd guess that lack of gapless playback might be a drawback of that kind of thing, and the official download + vinyl will be seamless. Then again, judging by some of the vocals in Keep it together, the band doesn't seem opposed to harsh, abrupt edits.

My good friend who's more of a casual TR fan (well, casual compared to me) said the new Destroy Angels EP is some of his favorite stuff TR's been involved with since The Fragile. High praise! Especially interesting considering how indifferent this same friend was when the debut HTDA EP came out (which I did not remind him of).

Still trying hard to keep my expectations in check and not read too much from this thread.

jrdsctt
11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Okay, I just looked at the vinyl again, the color of text on the spine is SO close to the background, it IS listed as "Sigil 03V"

Sorry, I totally didn't mean to facepalm your post.

jrdsctt
11-10-2012, 12:47 PM

They kinda did the same thing with "The Space In Between" so it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.

screwdriver
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
4 star review in new rolling stone

shagg_187
11-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Such a fantastic EP! Who the hell is singing in "On The Wing"?! D:

carpenoctem
11-10-2012, 07:37 PM
4 star review in new rolling stone

That's nice to hear from a fanboy standpoint, but Rolling Stone stopped being relevant a long time ago. Nearly everything is 3.5 stars and they wrote this year that Animal Collective sound like the kind of band who "put their skinny jeans on one hoof at a time." Gag.

wizfan
11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
It didn't disappoint me. It left me with a good overall impression. I didn't expect much from it, but it did surprise me a couple of times. It did remind me of some Coil stuff, and that's a good thing, since I love them (you can tell, right? Heh).

It didn't seem to rely on loops that much. One major problem I've had with Trent's post-With Teeth output is that the music relied a bit too much on loops. It worked great for Year Zero and Ghosts, but then it became too much of a good thing, too much attention on layering stuff and not too much progression on the arrangements. Dragon Tattoo is a perfect example of that. The Comes Forth in the Thaw website had all those preview loops, and I expected the final release to go further, but some of the tracks felt like the CFITT loops repeated for four minutes. It felt so static at times, as if Trent was noodling with Ableton Live clips and Atticus tried to make songs out of this. Which they do, sometimes.

Omen's tracks did have some amount of evolution; none of them sounded overly repetitive. But, again, I wanted some of the tracks to go somewhere else. Ice Age began beautifully, then it just stayed there. I agree with Morad that The Loop Closes (hey, a song with the world "loop" on its title) didn't need to have that "the beginning is the end" lyric and then repeat it. It was already a bad lyric. It was nice to hear Trent on his own again, though.

I liked its length. Not too short or long, just enough to sustain its impression. I didn't hate it. However, it does sound like just another teaser, just another promise for things to come. One can only hope that the LP will finally deliver all the goods they've been hinting at all this time.

screwdriver
11-10-2012, 11:26 PM
That's nice to hear from a fanboy standpoint, but Rolling Stone stopped being relevant a long time ago. Nearly everything is 3.5 stars and they wrote this year that Animal Collective sound like the kind of band who "put their skinny jeans on one hoof at a time." Gag.

wasn't posting as a fanboy, more just general FYI.

what is relevancy in music reviews? People have been saying Rolling Stone has been irrelevant for as long as I've been alive... but maybe they are, I have no idea! its a pleasant enough read most of the time. I think its safe to say 3.5 stars is their "average."

Shnoorum
11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Sheepdean, sorry could be wrong but the second verse of On The Wing I keep hearing:

Single file
An empty smile
And all the while
We wait

Or something along those lines. This song is fast becoming my favourite off the EP. I adore it's chilled out sort of tone. So different than anything I'd ever come to expect from those guys

sheepdean
11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll concur on all but the "empty smile". I really want to get some official lyrics down, for EP1 I twisted Q's arm into checking them for me, but this time round no one from the camp is responding to my requests, sigh.

Thanks though, I think the EP's lyrics are about 95% accurate by this point

Shnoorum
11-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah I wasn't sure on that bit either. Hopefully they'll release the lyrics at some point. Listening to the songs along with the lyrics you posted I think you're pretty much spot on. Well done on Speaking in Tongues on particular. Dear god that ones a bitch to transcribe, doubt I would have been able to make out much without lyrics written infront of me. Suppose it lives up to its name in that respect

carpenoctem
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
wasn't posting as a fanboy, more just general FYI.

what is relevancy in music reviews? People have been saying Rolling Stone has been irrelevant for as long as I've been alive... but maybe they are, I have no idea! its a pleasant enough read most of the time. I think its safe to say 3.5 stars is their "average."

Relevancy in music reviews involves actually discussing the music, why it's good, what it does differently or doesn't, instead of falling back on old clichés like "hipsters wear skinny jeans, and Animal Collective are often considered a hipster band, and they have the word 'animal' in their name, so I'm going to suggest that they put their hipster pants on one hoof at a time." That kind of dreck wouldn't fly in my community college English class. It's about being observant and finding out how to say what you mean without falling back on pretty-sounding words.

FernandoDante
11-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Relevancy in music reviews involves actually discussing the music, why it's good, what it does differently or doesn't, instead of falling back on old clichés like "hipsters wear skinny jeans, and Animal Collective are often considered a hipster band, and they have the word 'animal' in their name, so I'm going to suggest that they put their hipster pants on one hoof at a time." That kind of dreck wouldn't fly in my community college English class. It's about being observant and finding out how to say what you mean without falling back on pretty-sounding words.

What's this about the way you put on pants determining your music taste? I'm lost.

Shnoorum
11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
What's this about the way you put on pants determining your music taste? I'm lost.

The general consensus is that great artists don't wear pants at all. It's the secret to writing brilliant songs. NIN's Hurt? Thats right

screwdriver
11-11-2012, 02:01 PM

... but... hipsters do wear skinny jeans!

anyway, after the earlier taste this week, I've resisted listening to this again, and I'm finding myself very excited. Between this and the CoD theme, its a good TR week!

gorast
11-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Does Topspin usually update the live receipt with download links right at midnight on release day, or is it a gradual roll-out thing? I think Dragon Tattoo was a gradual roll-out, but I can't remember.

Shnoorum
11-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Does Topspin usually update the live receipt with download links right at midnight on release day, or is it a gradual roll-out thing? I think Dragon Tattoo was a gradual roll-out, but I can't remember.

I believe TGWTDT soundtrack was a gradual rollout. I remember much drama on the forums of people not getting theirs (myself included). Was up untill way early in the morning waiting for mine. Had to give up and go to bed in the end

otnavuskire
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
My Live Receipt says "Preorder download will become available on street date (2012-11-13 12:00 AM EST)"

I'm not going to hold my breath on that actually happening though.

carpenoctem
11-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Oh, I was just referencing the Rolling Stone review of the most recent AnCo record. It just made me mad because it didn't talk much about the music and fell back on stupid stereotypes to pad out the length.

ZeroisGreg
11-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I really don't like MQ's voice in 'Ice Age' and most of the other tracks in the new EP. Does anyone else think it's too windy and not enouch fuit in her voice. By fruit I mean pureness and less raspiness. I dig the rest of the tracks but 'Ice Age' sounds too folksy for the direction they are testing.

NotoriousTIMP
11-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I personally don't care for her vocals at all. :( I enjoy the music itself, and that's the reason why I even bother to follow this band, but her singing sucks and always sounds flat.

Deepvoid
11-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't want to go through 31 pages of posts so excuse me if this has been brought up but is there someone coughing at the 3:26 mark of The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters?

I sounds like a 2 coughs and definitely doesn't sound like it should there. However, I can't believe they would have missed that.

**EDIT**

Ok so the coughing has been brought up. Still wondering if it's suppose to be there or not.

my voice just
11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
^^
sorry, my bad
caught a cold recently

ItsJustDave
11-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok so the coughing has been brought up. Still wondering if it's suppose to be there or not.

Reznor is renowned for his obsessive attention to detail. I'm sure he missed the cough that numerous people have noticed after a few listens.

sheepdean
11-12-2012, 12:42 AM
There are about 4 different vocal tracks, including the cough, that I can count in TSORPM, the cough is there on purpose, I guarantee you.

butter_hole
11-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Reznor is renowned for his obsessive attention to detail.
but he somehow let starfuckers through... hmmm

Fred
11-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Reznor is renowned for his obsessive attention to detail. I'm sure he missed the cough that numerous people have noticed after a few listens.

Probably intentional, yeah. And not the first time he has toyed with the glitchy and unexpected; at first, the early "am I..." in Discipline sounded like a mistake as well.

gorast
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I always did like that in Discipline, made the narrator sound hesitant to even speak his mind.

I honestly haven't heard the cough in the song at all. Granted, I haven't really listened for it yet, but I guess I'm just not very observant with those kinds of things.

my voice just
11-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Reznor is renowned for his obsessive attention to detail.

but he somehow let starfuckers through... hmmm
sturfuckers is that detail, that makes the album`s perfection so fragile...
what`s wrong with that?

cashpiles (closed)
11-12-2012, 06:22 AM
sturfuckers is that detail, that makes the album`s perfection so fragile...
what`s wrong with that?

Starfuckers is good.

witte
11-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Oh no, please don't start this again...^^^

Edit:
Got a message
"Your order Has been shipped" ;)

eversonpoe
11-12-2012, 08:31 AM
i'm a bit worried that mine hasn't even gone into "about to ship" from amazon. i selected 2-day shipping and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow...

also, the price on amazon went up since i pre-ordered it, and is now $23.70.

Alexandros
11-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Finally listened to it. I like it, there are some beautiful, droning melodies, there is the "Closer"-like Loop (and I have no problem with Reznor's looping phrase, don't see what the big deal is) and there is the discordant, menacing Speaking in Tongues. The Sleep of Reason is especially haunting, I feel like I'm being drawn deeper into a dream, getting closer to a huge revelation of some kind and right before I find out what it is, I wake up. The abrupt ending actually fits very well with this interpretation, so I don't really mind it (as some people apparently do).

FernandoDante
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Hope I don't get too many facepalms for posting a link to my review here

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2012/11/how-to-destroy-angels-shift-unmemorably-with-an-omen/

screwdriver
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2012/11/how-to-destroy-angels-shift-unmemorably-with-an-omen/

But is this review a relevant review? How did you put your pants on?

I'm loving that the rush to review everything IMMEDIATELY means that people have just given up the importance of quality. God forbid we digest things...

sheepdean
11-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm still not sure how people justify reviewing an album at 192kbps

gorast
11-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Why's everyone so scared to post their reviews? We haven't run people out of town for having criticisms about the EP (yet).

I can't wait to get the records, look over the sealed packages for a little bit, and then set them with my other records, still sealed, and never play them because I don't have a record player.

Oh awesome, my first facepalm. I'd like to thank the Academy...

sukey
11-12-2012, 01:12 PM
My favourite upon my very few listens has to be 'The Loop Closes'. I love songs that drive, and this like many opening NIN tracks drives and builds in momentum.

Oooh yes you pinpointed why this one is my fave.

I like the rest of the EP a lot too, it definitely suits a particular mood, but it seems I'm in that mood this evening so s'all good.

Looking forward to the album a lot more now. Honestly, why in God's name did they pick Keep It Together as the single? Bizarre choice.

imail724
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
you do know it leaked right? flac and all...

PhoenixML
11-12-2012, 02:26 PM

What? A bad song is bad at 192kpbs and in surround bluray 96-bit 24khz. I mean, I don't think I'll get a better kick at listening at Nickeback on cd. The melody of the song won't mysteriously change.

sheepdean
11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
What? A bad song is bad at 192kpbs and in surround bluray 96-bit 24khz. I mean, I don't think I'll get a better kick at listening at Nickeback on cd. The melody of the song won't mysteriously change.
It might not make a 1/10 star into a 10/10, but it sure as hell can make a 8/10 into a 9/10

screwdriver
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM

if you listen to music solely for the melodies; yeah. if you watch movies only for the plots, you could review them based on a cam-bootleg too. If you look at paintings only to see the subject depicted, it doesn't matter if you're looking at a crappy photograph under poor light of the painting. But art can be more than the sum of the parts.

I think your attitude (while totally fair) is completely incongruous with what music I like and how I like to listen to it. I love pop songs as much as the next guy (seriously, GANGNAM STYLE!), but sounds are important to some of us. And I think its clear that sonic detail was part of the enterprise here.

r_z
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
and as we all know its incedibly important to make ratings in the first place.

PhoenixML
11-12-2012, 02:47 PM
My "attitude" was toward the "it's not justifyable to review with mp3". I felt like it was "keep your opinion to yourself as it shouldn't be considered".

gorast
11-12-2012, 02:48 PM
and as we all know its incedibly important to make ratings in the first place.
Ah, but they are important to the "wider audience" that Trent and co. are attempting to reach with HTDA, in fact. The point is to sell the album, the music, and the group itself to more than just us freaks on ETS, and that means trying to bring in people who judge albums based entirely on what random music blogs tell them.

witte
11-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Yes, the same counts for good songs.... ;)

BRoswell
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Yeah, definite facepalm there. It's cool if someone doesn't care for the EP, but the way some of you guys are going about it is, frankly, annoying. You're not special for being critical of the EP, and you're not special for posting a link to your reviews. Copy and paste that shit here. Seriously.

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't understand music reviews to be honest. I've seen my favourite albums criticised relentlessly and some of my most hated albums adored. I've always thought the enjoyement of music breaks down to a much more personal level than the likes of movies or video games. Not that I'm undermining any of the reviews posted here as thats their opinion and I respect that, I just can't imagine being swayed to listen/not listen to something because of the musical tastes of someone else

Edit: Saying that, I am quite interested in seeing how this album goes down with the general public

cheddamash
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
CD? This person is confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130802113920?redirect=mobile

witte
11-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Sent that seller a PM a couple of hours ago...

Leviathant
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
God help us if Columbia releases promo CDs.

witte
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks......

r_z
11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
God help us if Columbia releases promo CDs.

Well, in that case I don't give a flac.

Warped_Savant
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Great, now I want to play it on record, hold my ghetto blaster up to it, record it onto a tape that way, hook it up to my computer and make 32 kbps MP3's then, finally, listen to it that way...

my voice just
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
if you listen to music solely for the melodies; yeah. if you watch movies only for the plots, you could review them based on a cam-bootleg too. If you look at paintings only to see the subject depicted, it doesn't matter if you're looking at a crappy photograph under poor light of the painting. But art can be more than the sum of the parts.
yeah, yeah, yeah

with the invention of 128 kbps mp3 everyone was so fucking happy and now they forgot it

and your arguments are not valid, becouse we`re not talking about a microphone recording of the new HDTA EP played on the radio

it`s an actual recording, dvdrip of the movie, the reproduction of the painting

talkingnothing
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I like an omen overall. I thought "keep it together" was an odd choice for the single, like most folks. though i do enjoy the track. "ice age"... I like it, but it seems a bit out of place. it's nice to have some variety and all, but still just doesn't fit for me. tracks 3-6, however, are very cohesive and form a real vibe for me. also, the first few times i heard "on the wing" i wasn't paying very close attention to lyrics and therefore (maybe due to my love of bowie) heard "i hear the word that's on the wing." Definitely my favorite track. I don't have a problem with the lyrics in "the loop closes" like many seem to. TR sometime writes amazing lyrics and sometime less than amazing, but I find these to totally work and think the song would suffer without them.
In the end think it's quite good and I'm very excited for the full length.

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I like an omen overall. I thought "keep it together" was an odd choice for the single, like most folks. though i do enjoy the track. "ice age"... I like it, but it seems a bit out of place. it's nice to have some variety and all, but still just doesn't fit for me. tracks 3-6, however, are very cohesive and form a real vibe for me. also, the first few times i heard "on the wing" i wasn't paying very close attention to lyrics and therefore (maybe due to my love of bowie) heard "i hear the word that's on the wing." Definitely my favorite track. I don't have a problem with the lyrics in "the loop closes" like many seem to. TR sometime writes amazing lyrics and sometime less than amazing, but I find these to totally work and think the song would suffer without them.
In the end think it's quite good and I'm very excited for the full length.

I honestly wonder if they chose Keep It Together as a single to suprise us even more with the rest of the EP. I absolutely adored Keep It Together but it was the sort of moody atmosphere'd track I was expecting from the EP. As soon as Ice Age started playing I sat there in awe, I didn't see it coming at all.

Ice Age was my favourite track untill I heard the EP on headphones. On The Wing took over after that. That song seriously does something to me, such a beautiful sound to it. Such a hard sound to explain but when that chorus kicks in it seriously blows my mind.

Definately with you on The Loop Closes. The whole song builds up to it in an awesomely catchy way. Trents voice is as powerfull as ever, it completed the track perfectly in my eyes.

I've stated that this EP may possibly be my favourite record ever made and I thought maybe it was just my personal over excitement taking over. After a good 50 listens to it later and it's still going strong. My god, this LP can't come soon enough!

jessamineny
11-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I honestly wonder if they chose Keep It Together as a single to suprise us even more with the rest of the EP.

I'd be pretty shocked, given TR's comments about wanting to give this band the best shot possible in reaching the broadest audience possible. The techdirt interview in particular indicated to me that he's thinking more about wooing others instead of thinking about what we* think.

*the royal we, NIN fans in general

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I'd be pretty shocked, given TR's comments about wanting to give this band the best shot possible in reaching the broadest audience possible. The techdirt interview in particular indicated to me that he's thinking more about wooing others instead of thinking about what we* think.

*the royal we, NIN fans in general

Yeah I suppose, it would be quite a risk to release a single just to suprise people. Still, I do find it an odd choice for a single. I would think Ice Age would probably be the best choice when it comes to accessibility. I could easily see Ice Age gathering a lot of attention while Keep It Together may be a bit of an aquired taste. Anyway, they've been around for a long time now, I have no doubt they know what they're doing

my voice just
11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
That song seriously does something to me, such a beautiful sound
it has beat from outer space! makes me twitch and smile

The Reason Being
11-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I actually thought Keep It Together was a good choice for single, given the choice of songs present on the EP. Given TR's track record of releasing singles, they're almost always tracks with a fairly standard pop-song like structure. In that respect that only really leaves Ice Age and On The Wing as other options. I think if we'd heard Ice Age first we would've expected a completely different EP to what we got, and judging by the (mostly) positive reactions of this thread to that song I think it's a good thing it was left to take us by surprise. I think that goes for the general public as well as TR fans. On The Wing would've been a decent single too but it's pretty hard to hear some of whats being sung and between the two I think it sounds like a deeper cut. It's also my favorite track.

I'd love to see a video for On The Wing though, even if it's just the same sort of thing as the Keep It Together vid. Just downloaded the EP on iTunes, looking forward to hearing in higher quality but I think hearing it on vinyl is gonna be the deal sealer for me. The more you listen, the better this thing gets!

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I would love to see a studio video of On The Wing. The one for Keep It Together was really awesome. Damn fine looking group of people aswell I must say.

I may be getting above my station here but I'm also hearing

Cast aside
This great divide
Foolish Pride
We wait

On the third verse of On The Wing

The Reason Being
11-12-2012, 09:35 PM
The great divide... http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2origin/1494228392/

Zeroes and ones..

Just sayin yo.

imail724
11-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Is that not Trent singing alongside Mariqueen in On The Wing? Definitely doesn't sound like him, but it's hard to tell.

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Is that not Trent singing alongside Mariqueen in On The Wing? Definitely doesn't sound like him, but it's hard to tell.

I thought the same at first but when I heard it with headphones a few times it started to sound more like him. Still not 100% but I'm fairly certain it's him anyway

The Reason Being
11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Sounds just like Trent to me!

eversonpoe
11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
just got my link from topspin to download!

gorast
11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, me too. Hi-def EP here I come!

It even came with a PDF booklet, I'm very pleased.

butter_hole
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
what res is the hi-def?

Callahan
11-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm not trying to stir things up here, but I asked for the MP3 version and just opened up the zip file in winRAR. Does anyone else see the Date Modified tab as various dates? Or is my PC being retarded?

http://i.imgur.com/BXoqe.jpg

gorast
11-12-2012, 11:33 PM
I have the Apple Lossless version and it did the same thing, different dates though.

imail724
11-12-2012, 11:37 PM
ARGGG!!!!!!

Someone had to say it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gorast
11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
So, the m4a files had this as the artwork:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/Somedude179/badomen.png

Not totally sure how I feel about this.

shagg_187
11-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm not trying to stir things up here, but I asked for the MP3 version and just opened up the zip file in winRAR. Does anyone else see the Date Modified tab as various dates? Or is my PC being retarded?

http://i.imgur.com/BXoqe.jpg

Ahh shit, ARG! Here we go!! *runs through the wall*

Leviathant
11-13-2012, 12:15 AM
So, the m4a files had this as the artwork:

Not totally sure how I feel about this.

I've got the same shitty artwork in my MP3 download.

DigitalChaos
11-13-2012, 12:53 AM
fuck all of you with your ARG
no no no nooooooooooooo please no. if anyone finds some sort of pattern I will kill you. I do not have the time to waste this week :(

DigitalChaos
11-13-2012, 01:01 AM
I have the 320 MP3s. extracted on a Mac they all say they were created/modified Nov 13 2012.

Leviathant
11-13-2012, 01:12 AM
@rob_sheridan: @ninhotline I'm told the cover art issue has been fixed for new downloads. As for ID3 issues, report specifics to @Topspin support.

DigitalChaos
11-13-2012, 01:29 AM
just redownloaded, cover art is still the same. I will try again in the morning

howdidislipinto
11-13-2012, 01:36 AM
just redownloaded, cover art is still the same. I will try again in the morning

Same for me. (Apple lossless version.) Was secretly hoping for lyrics in the tags. I miss those. Can't wait to give this a headphone listen in the morning.

And unrelated, but because I just had fraud on my credit card I can't buy the Black Ops theme. Damn you, criminals. Damn you.

SM Rollinger
11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Im really feeling this whole ep now, since ive had a chance to listen to it streaming a couple times earlier this week. It sounds great on my actual stereo, im glad i picked up the flac on this one. Talk about a bass assault though! geez every song is full on with the low end on this one

Mutilated
11-13-2012, 02:35 AM

For the most part, I agree with this review, especially the concluding paragraph. I am disheartened with my disappointment and really, really hope that this material will grow on me. I loved the debut EP and An Omen is such a drastic change....

witte
11-13-2012, 02:42 AM
My email arrived 06:16 AM
I ordered M4a
cat#: Sigil 03_
01....26,1MB_05:34AM_today
02....37,4MB_05:05AM_today
03....24,9MB_05:16AM_today
04....21,6MB_05:17AM_today
05....27,3MB_07:44AM_today
06....43,7MB_05:18AM_today

The PDF file contains 8 pics: the first pic shows the cover with the writing below. I assume this one is the correct PDF.

Edit1: ok, I understand....., I have the same artwork per track as shown above

Edit2: first play is done on my stereo........excellent sound!

Edit3:

CD? This person is confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130802113920?redirect=mobile

Auction is gone/stopped. The seller didn't answer my question. Does someone else know more? I hope the seller made a mistake...

dzaver
11-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Can anyone "extract" the photos from the pdf booklet ad make a hi-res wallpaper out of it :) ?

dzaver
11-13-2012, 03:09 AM
nvrmind :) apparently Rob made them today... So "soon" official ones :D

Camille
11-13-2012, 03:45 AM
"DIGITAL.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

Thanks Topspin.

baudolino
11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
After digesting the flacs (on appropriate equipment) a few times i have to say that there is nothing to complain about this record from my side. Its a sonic masterpiece , on par with every other high praised TR output. And its overall topic seems to be about deceleration, which is also fine imo.

barkhammer
11-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Thanks Topspin.

Yeah, got this with two attempts at the FLAC download.

Onto my third attempt now...

otnavuskire
11-13-2012, 05:24 AM

Thanks Topspin.

Have you tried redownloading it? That sounds more like your download died before it was finished.

Camille
11-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Have you tried redownloading it? That sounds more like your download died before it was finished.
Yes, tried 3 times. Will try again.

Indefinite_Cure
11-13-2012, 05:43 AM

It did that for me too, stopped at 6 Mb each time, and now I get a message that I've reached the download limit on my purchase...great, 5$ wasted...

FernandoDante
11-13-2012, 06:08 AM
But is this review a relevant review? How did you put your pants on?

I'm loving that the rush to review everything IMMEDIATELY means that people have just given up the importance of quality. God forbid we digest things...
5 days of listening to this album has to be enough for a reviewer.

V0, actually.

fortheloveofgod
11-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Can anyone "extract" the photos from the pdf booklet ad make a hi-res wallpaper out of it :) ?

50 bucks says Rob will when he get around to it. We should see from fresh HTDA hi res wallpapers soon...

ItsJustDave
11-13-2012, 06:13 AM
It did that for me too, stopped at 6 Mb each time, and now I get a message that I've reached the download limit on my purchase...great, 5$ wasted...

I'm sure topspin will do whatever it takes to make sure you get your download. Perhaps you should contact them?

Indefinite_Cure
11-13-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm sure topspin will do whatever it takes to make sure you get your download. Perhaps you should contact them?

I did, I just expect a long delay...for whatever reason...You know, I have listened to it on the stream, I just want my copy to go around, and downloading from anywhere on the internet kinda sucks.

*edit* I mean it's kinda hard to find at this point and the ones you can find are in crappy quality. I guess I'll resolve to that until Topspin corrects the problem

r_z
11-13-2012, 06:38 AM
So you'll get an email with download links? Cool. Still waiting for mine. :(

WorzelG
11-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I had a bit of trouble when trying to download by just left clicking on download - but I checked the download FAQ and when I right- clicked on the download link and pressed save target as, it downloaded fine

r_z
11-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Do I have to download via the receipt Email or do they send out new ones?

simonn
11-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Im really feeling this whole ep now, since ive had a chance to listen to it streaming a couple times earlier this week. It sounds great on my actual stereo, im glad i picked up the flac on this one. Talk about a bass assault though! geez every song is full on with the low end on this one

Yep - actually had to adjust my eq settings on my car stereo for my commute, it was that bassy!!

Trains
11-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Could not be happier with this EP. I'm glad I held out until release day and listened to it on headphones, the sound of this record is killer. There's not a single disappointment or let-down, I'm blown away by it. I'm amazed how much their sound has improved since 2010; to be honest I was anticipating 5 more tracks that sound like 'Keep It Together', I was not expecting to feel this surprised. Now I cannot wait for the LP next year.

I agree with everyone who's been praising 'Ice Age', it's a fantastic track and so unexpected. I wonder who was playing the guitar/uke-sounding instrument, sounds like Trent maybe. I can hear the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack all over this EP, often in the background bass or droney guitatrs. I love 'The Loop Closes', especially the vocal parts, I swear it's one of the catchiest things Trent's written. And 'On The Wing' is fantastic too, love the duet between Mariqueen and Trent at the end. Seriously feeling the fanboy excitment right now, I'm off to listen to it again.

simonn
11-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Do I have to download via the receipt Email or do they send out new ones?

New email should come out to you. Mine had 'download' printed twice within the email in a blue box. I left clicked on the second box, and it worked first time. This was for the mp3's though, not flac, if that makes a difference.

princessomega
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks Topspin.
The same thing happened to me this morning while I tried to download before work.
My download (both times) seemed to get stuck at about 78% downloaded then said it was all set, but I get the same message.
I figured Ill give it a third try tonight after work.
How many trys does Topspin give before they lock you out for too many downloads?

screwdriver
11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
@rob_sheridan: @ninhotline I'm told the cover art issue has been fixed for new downloads. As for ID3 issues, report specifics to @Topspin support.

how new is "new"? I just downloaded an hour ago and have the same shitty artwork

Camille
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
The same thing happened to me this morning while I tried to download before work.
My download (both times) seemed to get stuck at about 78% downloaded then said it was all set, but I get the same message.
I figured Ill give it a third try tonight after work.
How many trys does Topspin give before they lock you out for too many downloads?

I think it's 5, I lost count tbh. Bored with this now. Waiting on a reply from customer support.

princessomega
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Camille,
Thanks for the tip at five.
Good luck. I had tried two different browsers both safari and google chrome, with the same results this morning.
Hopefully by the time I get out of work things will settle and they will figure out this stuff so i, and everyone else can successfully download it.

sheepdean
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Can someone who has the vinyl confirm that the vinyl mix is the same as the digital mix?

fortheloveofgod
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
how new is "new"? I just downloaded an hour ago and have the same shitty artwork

I gave up and copied it from Amazon.

Henrie_Schnee
11-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Quick question: I downloaded the high quality leak two days ago (Lame VBR, clocking in at 59,2 mb, NOT 320 kb/s) and now I am wondering if this is the same as the official Columbia-Download... or if I have to look for another version now. I'm asking cause the EP won't be released in my country until the end of the month... and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay for a download if I'm going to get the physical release anyway.

The Reason Being
11-13-2012, 11:11 AM
http://lat.ms/TGodqc

According to LA Times, How To Destroy Angeles have released their EP "The Omen". It features "Hold It Together" which has lyrics from a different song! Kind enough review though haha

Euphemism
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
http://lat.ms/TGodqc

According to LA Times, How To Destroy Angeles have released their EP "The Omen". It features "Hold It Together" which has lyrics from a different song! Kind enough review though haha

Why does the album art on that page read: "CD cover for 'Breaking Dawn -- Part 2' premiere: Wait almost over for fans (Columbia Records / November 12, 2012)"?

WTF?

WorzelG
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
This got tweeted https://twitter.com/destroyangels

Anyone able to ask if there will be international HTDA live dates? That is my burning question but I'm not up to waiting up all night anymore!

Zimbo
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Anyone have a workaround or contact with Topspin about the Apple Lossless files not working? Downloaded fine but then when I go to extract them two files, Ice Age and Speaking in Tongues, will not extract.

EDIT: I tired with Internet Explorer instead and was able to get the files all well and good. Weird Chrome issues it seems.