PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

The Reason Being
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm suprised that some people were shocked about Trent's vocals being so prominent on this one. Seeing as they're treating HTDA as more of a "collective", I think it's pretty likely there'll be some tunes on the EP / album with just Trent on vocals, with maybe Mariqueen backing. I'm hoping they keep switching things up with all these tracks, with some tracks focusing more on an individual member than others. I'd be really interested in hearing an album like that from these guys. I hope what ever elements Rob brings to the table will be vital to the HTDA experience, keeping him as important as the others. Hate to draw another comparison to Massive Attack, but they've always been a "collective" and not a proper band per se, of course MA aren't the only example of this but maybe the most recognized. I think that kind of approach would work wonders for this project. At this point whats done is done, but i'd actually be surprised if thats not how it turns out.

/ late night rambling.

carpenoctem
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Yep that would be cool. Maybe some backing vocals from Atticus too, as I gather he's not the lead vocals type of guy.

Miss.Selfdestruct
10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
As much as I welcome a YZ b-sides E.P, it'd be nice if there's something about this E.P that's HTDA.

Magtig
10-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Anyone else still puzzled by the fact that they were mastering (what seemed to be) the LP in March, and eight months later they're coming up with an EP?
Must not have passed the Mulholland (Canyon) Drive test.

jmtd
10-11-2012, 03:53 AM
I fucking hope that one particular track in the middle is Joy Division cover.

I'm really confident it will be. I think they'd shy away from using the same name otherwise, esp. as he's got history covering JD. Looking forward to that!

r_z
10-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Yep that would be cool. Maybe some backing vocals from Atticus too, as I gather he's not the lead vocals type of guy.

Yes. And maybe Rob could cite a poem for 8 minutes backed by the sound of guitar drones or something. Wouldn't that be interesting? No, it wouldn't.

simonn
10-11-2012, 06:51 AM
I note that re the full album tracklisting, one facet not yet discussed.

Was expecting IYLSE on there, but no sign. :confused:

sheepdean
10-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Can we just dump a big ol' spoiler notice at the top of the thread and stop using these bloody tags?
For now: IYLSE probably has some fairly different licensing to the LP, so putting it on wouldn't be easy. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the LP DE (come on , you know there'll be one) will have, at the very least, the first EP on there in some kind of special mix.

elementroejoy
10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably been mentioned already, but what exactly is Robs involvement? I know he is art director but why is he featured in promo pics? Is he doing music now?

sheepdean
10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Probably been mentioned already, but what exactly is Robs involvement? I know he is art director but why is he featured in promo pics? Is he doing music now?
This is no longer a band, but a collective. As such, all 4 members influence the overall creative output that HTDA makes. Obviously Rob is more focused on the visual aspect, but HTDA_ don't want to just be a musical piece, so he's as much a member as Mariqueen is.

Also, "collective" makes me think of Borg.

butter_hole
10-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I like the idea of Rob's involvement to be him just constantly suggesting really loud breakbeats over everything ALL THE TIME, even when it doesn't fit. Like 'Rob jesus that isn't going to fit jesus stop suggesting that same break over and over again'

eversonpoe
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Also, "collective" makes me think of Borg.

you will use underscores where none are necessary_. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE_.

scorpiusdiamond
10-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I like the idea of Rob's involvement to be him just constantly suggesting really loud breakbeats over everything ALL THE TIME, even when it doesn't fit. Like 'Rob jesus that isn't going to fit jesus stop suggesting that same break over and over again'

I'm calling it now, the album will be called "Breakbeats Over Everything"

fillow
10-12-2012, 03:23 AM
This is no longer a band, but a collective. As such, all 4 members influence the overall creative output that HTDA makes. Obviously Rob is more focused on the visual aspect, but HTDA_ don't want to just be a musical piece, so he's as much a member as Mariqueen is.

This reminds me of Kraftwerk, where in one of the latest band incarnations one newer member was responsible only for live visuals manipulations and not music.

witte
10-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Or this new UK band BRETON: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/sep/07/new-band-breton . Live 4 members play the instruments and the fifth member is responsible during the gig for the editing of their self shot movies.
You see it more and more.
By the way, an interesting band.

Christo
10-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Oh my god.

CAPITALISE THE TITLES.

That is all.

FernandoDante
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
This reminds me of Kraftwerk, where in one of the latest band incarnations one newer member was responsible only for live visuals manipulations and not music.
The newer member was also the one who came back to the stage after the concert was over to shut down all the computers. I remember watching that and thinking, "ha, being an intern is tough."

Not implying that Rob is an intern.

talkingnothing
10-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm hoping Rob's role will be more like Flavor Flave..... hype-man BOYYYY

sheepdean
10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I wonder if we'll get lyrics with this EP, or if I'm going to have to bug Mariqueen and buy expensive Japanese editions again

witte
10-13-2012, 06:10 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/An-Omen-by-How-to-Destroy-Angels-Vinyl-Record-2012-Brand-New-Ships-Worldwide-/280996030348?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item416cab278c

somewhat_
10-14-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/An-Omen-by-How-to-Destroy-Angels-Vinyl-Record-2012-Brand-New-Ships-Worldwide-/280996030348?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item416cab278c

So, this thing should leak any day now? That's what I'm thinking.

slave2thewage
10-14-2012, 09:07 AM
So, this thing should leak any day now? That's what I'm thinking.

From the description on that page: "This item releases on November 13th, 2012 and you will receive it on or shortly after that date."

Basically, this is just someone who'll have copies who are jumping the gun in reselling them.

witte
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
maybe a good tip for german and european buyers: there is some discount here! (https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/hnum/3143461/art/How-to-destroy-angels-An-Omen-EP/isssl/1)
good price inclusive shipment. i just ordered one.

also this site (http://wom.de/home/s/how+to+destroy+angels?lang=en)

DigitalChaos
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Trent talking about why he went back to a label: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wsE865Jpv4k

dpeters
10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Trent talking about why he went back to a label: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wsE865Jpv4k
My friend, Danny, filmed this.

Not that the EP is coming out sooner--just that the group gets more viral presence and a few of the larger blogs posted it.

Space Suicide
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I love NIN, Reznor and Atticus. I enjoyed the first HTDA EP and bought it asap. Some songs on there were great but I can honestly say for the first time ever: I'm not really looking forward to this much at all. The music leanings are boring. I respect his work as a whole and don't mind his latest scoring but as someone already said about the new song, all it sounds like is a movie score and has Mariqueen 'singing' over it. She's not a bad vocalist but I don't care too much for it.

I'll download upon release. Wows me somehow then I will buy it.

dpeters
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I love NIN, Reznor and Atticus. I enjoyed the first HTDA EP and bought it asap. Some songs on there were great but I can honestly say for the first time ever: I'm not really looking forward to this much at all. The music leanings are boring. I respect his work as a whole and don't mind his latest scoring but as someone already said about the new song, all it sounds like is a movie score and has Mariqueen 'singing' over it. She's not a bad vocalist but I don't care too much for it.

I'll download upon release. Wows me somehow then I will buy it.

This will sound like heresy but the output from HDTA, TSN, and GWTDT blends together in my ears--with elements from Ghosts and The Slip.

Hopefully, the talk of "tension" will mean more noticeably dynamic and complex arrangements--not that they need to recreate WITT's wall of guitar, just something that moves around a lot--both in the song and compared to the other material on the EP.

PhoenixML
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
So when are we suppose to preorder it? it won't be available on the website? Starting to be late to ship worldwide.. And no cd? Are they still in studio, it wasn't finished after all these months of silence?

Finally we have a big news on HTDA and yet we know nothing (or I'm out of the loop). How ironic.

sheepdean
10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
There's no CD, it will probably be on the website, but feel free to order through Amazon if you don't care about instant download. They're in the studio yes, but it's not clear what for, could be LP2 or EP3 or Theme for Dr Dre Beats for all we know.

screwdriver
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
This will sound like heresy but the output from HDTA, TSN, and GWTDT blends together in my ears--with elements from Ghosts and The Slip.

Hopefully, the talk of "tension" will mean more noticeably dynamic and complex arrangements--not that they need to recreate WITT's wall of guitar, just something that moves around a lot--both in the song and compared to the other material on the EP.

the common element is Atticus. Trent obviously gets on well with him and I'm glad for it. But its interesting for how much "NIN=Trent" is orthodoxy, how much his output changes depending on who he is around at the time; Broken vs TDS vs TF vs. WT.... all radically different sounding (to my ears). and each had radically different crews around (excepting Alan Moulder and TR.) but since WT, atticus has pretty much become a member of the band -- which might actually have prompted the decision to just start HTDA, now that I think about it.

kas23
10-19-2012, 07:32 PM
the common element is Atticus. Trent obviously gets on well with him and I'm glad for it. But its interesting for how much "NIN=Trent" is orthodoxy, how much his output changes depending on who he is around at the time; Broken vs TDS vs TF vs. WT.... all radically different sounding (to my ears). and each had radically different crews around (excepting Alan Moulder and TR.) but since WT, atticus has pretty much become a member of the band -- which might actually have prompted the decision to just start HTDA, now that I think about it.

I agree. I would even go as far and say Atticus (and his sound) have ran their course and it's time Trent picks a new direction. Maybe he can stick around for HTDA, but I sort of don't want to see him around for the next NIN LP.

dpeters
10-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't get me wrong. There are highlights off of every album Atticus has worked on with Trent. They are both incredibly talented but...

Atticus and Trent's post-WT work are like staring at all Rothko paintings.

They're good--even amazing sometimes but there's more than "moods" that can be done. HTDA is, hopefully, a chance at fresh air--but "Keep It Together" is vague as to such results.

screwdriver
10-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't get me wrong. There are highlights off of every album Atticus has worked on with Trent. They are both incredibly talented but...

Atticus and Trent's post-WT work are like staring at all Rothko paintings.

They're good--even amazing sometimes but there's more than "moods" that can be done. HTDA is, hopefully, a chance at fresh air--but "Keep It Together" is vague as to such results.

the thing that I've come to realize is Trent's style is really affected by who is doing the sequencing. With some exceptions (phm, wt) his technique of working is to play a bunch over a loop while its recording, and then whoever was recording picks out the best bits an they go from there. That arranging element (not meaning arrangement in the traditional sense) really impacts the way everything is shaped. Atticus has a very defined aesthetic that works well with TR, but its not heavy on the arrangement complexity.

dominik
10-20-2012, 06:14 AM
I really love Year Zero. Did Atticus work with him on that too?

screwdriver
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I really love Year Zero. Did Atticus work with him on that too?

atticus produced and I'm sure was heavily involved; I'm not really too sure on the stylistic differences in making YZ, most of the press focused on the ARG. it sounds like it was mainly made on laptops, but I remember seeing pictures of Atticus and TR recording in hotel rooms, so I would imagine the process was fairly similar

kas23
10-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Atticus to NIN is like Nigel Godrich to Radiohead. It's been great, even amazing, while it lasted, but now it's becoming a broken record and is becoming stale. I hope Trent can reinvent himself like he did with YZ, but I think Atticus's style would hold him back. Question is, can someone as old as Trent reinvent himself twice?

sheepdean
10-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Fairly sure this is HTDA talk, not NIN talk. Atticus is a member of HTDA, so that ain't gonna change.

Also, Trent is, at the end of the day, the top of NIN. If he wanted a different sound, he'd ask for it, Atticus' range isn't limited to what he does with TR.

blassster
10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I think everyone should wait until the full thing comes out before going further...

WorzelG
10-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I think you are being a bit harsh on Atticus here - Year Zero was completely different to Ghosts and the scores and Atticus worked on that - and if I recall David Fincher had used Ghosts as a guide to the sort of sounds he wanted in his film - so obviously there was going to be a bit of an overlap in musical style with Ghosts and both scores - but I see the scores as in a box outside of NIN and HTDA and it's unfair to talk like that is supposed to be the new direction for all future releases (rambling now, but hopefully you get the gist)

Frozen Beach
10-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I think if Trent got a new member involved, things might become a bit different in terms of sound. I really do think this project just needs a new fresh perspective. Atticus can stay, obviously.

sheepdean
10-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Since 2000-ish, you guys say NIN/Trent has sounded the same, and you blame it on Atticus. Atticus meanwhile has done Error, score work, remixes and production work that all sound totally different. Maybe it's Trent that's the problem?

Or maybe y'all need to quit saying it all sounds the same when you haven't heard the EP yet.

DVYDRNS
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Maybe the old music wasnt as much trent as everybody likes to believe. Clouser, dillon. Dare I say Patrick all may have had a heavy influence on NIN. Certainly More than they get credit for.

Charlie's current music is reminiscent of TDS and fragile era. As well as what little we've heard from Jerome.

It certainly makes a lot of sense why there's so much weirdness in the ex band member section. If I were those guys and I had as much input as I suspect they may have, only to be constantly berated as just being hired hands.

Lets be honest. The only two people he still gets along with and plays with occasionally are people who haven't bothered putting out any of their own music. Fink and lohner. Two dudes who seem to be content riding coat tails. (Lohner even jokes about this.)

sheepdean
10-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Dude don't get me started on where the fuck is Finck's album

screwdriver
10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Since 2000-ish, you guys say NIN/Trent has sounded the same, and you blame it on Atticus. Atticus meanwhile has done Error, score work, remixes and production work that all sound totally different. Maybe it's Trent that's the problem?

Or maybe y'all need to quit saying it all sounds the same when you haven't heard the EP yet.

... so are we allowed to talk about this or not? because earlier you said it wasn't appropriate, but you're right back at it.

either way, I don't "blame" atticus, nor do I think there's a "problem," I was just having what I thought was a fun discussion about possible changes in TR's output and whether his way of work (and AR's participation) had something to do with it. Not that I need to prove my credentials, but I'm excited about the EP.

I'm not being "harsh" on Atticus, or Trent, or anything. I don't even know what the hell that means... I'm just talking about musicians that I'm passionate about and enjoy the music of. Analyzing the development of a musician's style and measuring it against your own aesthetics, especially in terms of having a discussion about their upcoming EP, seems like exactly what message boards are made for. (If I was saying "TR AND AR SUCK" that would be different.)

Ryan
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Maybe the old music wasnt as much trent as everybody likes to believe. Clouser, dillon. Dare I say Patrick all may have had a heavy influence on NIN. Certainly More than they get credit for.

Charlie's current music is reminiscent of TDS and fragile era. As well as what little we've heard from Jerome.

It certainly makes a lot of sense why there's so much weirdness in the ex band member section. If I were those guys and I had as much input as I suspect they may have, only to be constantly berated as just being hired hands.

Lets be honest. The only two people he still gets along with and plays with occasionally are people who haven't bothered putting out any of their own music. Fink and lohner. Two dudes who seem to be content riding coat tails. (Lohner even jokes about this.)

Lohner really has such a huge amount of talent. Why didn't he end up in recent APC live or NIN? Makey no sensey to me.

He freakin made The Outsider even better than it already was (Apocalypse Mix) and made a remix for the first Ashes Divide record that was better than all the album tracks (Denial Waits).

Yet he's always just there somewhere in the background. What the fawk. Also, Puscifer remix of The Undertaker.

DVYDRNS
10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
He's content with being a sidekick apparently.

WorzelG
10-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Can someone explain to me how With Teeth, Year Zero and Ghosts all sound the same because I really don't hear it?

Ryan
10-21-2012, 02:16 AM
He's content with being a sidekick apparently.

Fuck that!

fillow
10-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Puscifer remix of The Undertaker.
Considering that version was released years ahead of Vagina version, I prefer to think that it's the original version of the song (despite the name). And Vagina version is probably a re-recording. Why would there be no Lohner on album version (as per credits) if he co-wrote the song?

Max Leo
10-21-2012, 06:45 AM

Clouser joined NIN after TDS had been released, he recently admitted that he did nothing in that album, and he just did some stuff for Starfuckers, the rest of his ideas were not included in The Fragile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xctWJjnUrjE

Patrick left NIN because Trent told him that he would use some of his music for their next album after Broken, which was going to be very "heavy and very guitar oriented, some kind of Broken 2", but then Trent went to the studio and changed his mind and started to play with synths and samplers and decided that Richard's songs didn't fit the tone of the album that he wanted to make, so Patrick left NIN and used his stuff for Filter's first album. He said that he wrote "Hey Man, Nice Shot" for NIN and Trent told him that he liked the song and that they would use it in the album or as a b-side or something, but when TDS changed its direction, Rich realized that he had to form a new band for his own music.

Just because some of the music made by former band members sometimes sounds like NIN, that doesn't mean that they have actually written music for NIN. Maybe it's the other way around and they just have been influenced by the music that they have been playing live for years. Also it must be the kind of music that they actually like and the kind of music that their fans or employers were asking for.

Lohner is credited as co-writer for 2 or 3 songs (that's more than Clouser, Vrenna, Finck, Dillon, Wooley, etc), his remixes for other bands are obviously influenced by his work with NIN, and he even produced the first BLB's album that had lots of electronics and a pseudo industrial rock sound similar to NIN's, but he is still in good terms with Trent and has never accussed him of stealing his music or something like that.

Many ex-members were pissed off and never complained about having done lots of uncredited stuff. And many of them were pissed because they were fired or because they had to leave the band due to their zero imput in the band's music, they wanted to be creative and write some music and they couldn't do it for NIN, so they had to leave.

-Rich left NIN to form Filter because he couldn't write songs for NIN.

-Vrenna was fired or left because he wanted to have the same position that Atticus has finally had. He wanted to write and produce for NIN and he couldn't, so he left or was fired by Trent due to his demands.

-James Wooley was replaced for Clouser, don't know/remember why.

-Clouser and Lohner were promised to have a very important role on Tapeworm as writers and producers. According to Clouser that's why they didn't leave NIN before. Finck never believed that and this is why he just left to join GNR several times and never gave a shit about Tapeworm.

-Clouser was pissed for a good while, but now he is in good terms with Trent again afaik. Dillon was fired, and he claimed that Trent promised him that he would produce and support his Nearly album, which Trent denied, I don't know if it's true or not, but he didn't write or produce anything for NIN if I remember well. Vrenna probably hated Trent for many years too, but I recently read that he is following Trent's twitter and viceversa, and when he was asked (having recently quit MM) who was the most problematic musician that he had ever worked with (having worked with Trent, Axl Rose, Corgan or Manson), he answered that it was Manson and not Trent, so maybe he is not that pissed off these days. Patrick one day claims to love Trent and that they are good old friends an the next day claims that Trent is a moron, although as of lately he has been more positive than negative towards Trent. None of them has ever claimed to have done any uncredited work for NIN.

-These last years Trent is clean and sober, he has been more open minded and I guess that this is why Atticuss has got everything that people like Vrenna, Patrick, Lohnner or Clouser wanted. Atticuss has tons of credits as producer and cowriter and a sideproject with Trent that is actually releasing some music.

-After all these years, if any former "hired gun" had written or produced lots of uncredited stuff for NIN, I'm pretty sure they would have talked to the press about it like a billion times already and they would have sued Trent's ass (or they are really stupid). And none of them has released an album like TDS to prove that they were the real mastermids behind NIN's music and/or sound. The only one who formed a new band and succeeded was Patrick, and his music is much more rock/guitar oriented and traditional, barely sounds like NIN.

Ryan
10-21-2012, 07:38 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/8/43wYutEzj0myB8pBVs7Bmg2.jpg

screwdriver
10-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Can someone explain to me how With Teeth, Year Zero and Ghosts all sound the same because I really don't hear it?

I don't think they do either. The quote that kicked this off:

I agree with that -- HDTA, TSN, GWTDT, Ghosts, and The Slip all sound quite similar to my ears, both sonically and structurally. I specifically exempted both WT and YZ from this comparison:

the thing that I've come to realize is Trent's style is really affected by who is doing the sequencing. With some exceptions (phm, wt) his technique of working is to play a bunch over a loop while its recording, and then whoever was recording picks out the best bits an they go from there. That arranging element (not meaning arrangement in the traditional sense) really impacts the way everything is shaped. Atticus has a very defined aesthetic that works well with TR, but its not heavy on the arrangement complexity.

atticus produced and I'm sure was heavily involved; I'm not really too sure on the stylistic differences in making YZ, most of the press focused on the ARG. it sounds like it was mainly made on laptops, but I remember seeing pictures of Atticus and TR recording in hotel rooms, so I would imagine the process was fairly similar

I'm sincerely sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I don't think I'm saying anything that isn't commonly known: Trent's way of working is to record a bunch over loops and then pick out the best bits. That person picking out the best bits changes, but has for the last several years been Atticus. There are some exceptions to this including WT (written song-style, consciously avoiding loop style) and YZ ("a lot of it was improvised" according to what he wrote). Again: I LIKE THE OUTPUT, we were just having a conversation on the direction he's taken -- more textural and less structural.

I'm interested to see if the HTDA album takes it in a new direction, goes back to song-based WT-style (don't think so), YZ-style, or follows the recent TR-AR trend.

WorzelG
10-22-2012, 03:26 AM
^^^^yeah, I wasn't referring to one post in particular, I think dpeters did include everything post With Teeth which includes Year Zero which I think is totally different to Ghosts and the scores. I think if you take the scores out of the equation then all you have is Ghosts, and two songs on The Slip and a bit of HTDA as being ambient (bullet man for example is different) moody stuff.

screwdriver
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
^^^^yeah, I wasn't referring to one post in particular, I think dpeters did include everything post With Teeth which includes Year Zero which I think is totally different to Ghosts and the scores. I think if you take the scores out of the equation then all you have is Ghosts, and two songs on The Slip and a bit of HTDA as being ambient (bullet man for example is different) moody stuff.

bullet man! great point. man, that gestured a really interesting direction that we haven't seen ANY follow-up in. I wonder if that will end up being a stylistic one-off like The Perfect Drug.

Shnoorum
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
bullet man! great point. man, that gestured a really interesting direction that we haven't seen ANY follow-up in. I wonder if that will end up being a stylistic one-off like The Perfect Drug.

Bloody love that track. I think it probably is a one off though. I've never seen Bullet Man (although I would really love to) but the small bits I've seen seems like some sort of really fast paced insane superhero movie. The theme he wrote sounds as if it fits perfectly into it. Of course I can't really confirm that seeing as I've never seen it but it seems to have been created in that style exclusively for the movie

DigitalChaos
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
To echo a bit of this thread: When I first heard the intro to American Horror Story I though "hrm.. that sounds kinda like Trent" Then I realized it was Charlie Clouser's work.

But what's with the constant ragging on people about supposedly having a negative impact on music? The fuck...

noneofthem
10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Something weird happened. I preorder An Omen on the German Amazon website the day it became available there for 23.99 EUR (31.31 USD). Now they say you can register to find out when it will be available on the product site. When I just checked my order it's still there but the price went DOWN to 6.99 EUR (9.13 USD)!!!

witte
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
the price went down. discount everywhere as you can see

maybe a good tip for german and european buyers: there is some discount here! (https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/hnum/3143461/art/How-to-destroy-angels-An-Omen-EP/isssl/1)
good price inclusive shipment. i just ordered one.

also this site (http://wom.de/home/s/how+to+destroy+angels?lang=en)

SM Rollinger
10-22-2012, 04:43 PM
wow this wasnt what i expected this thread to be.

good discusions though, especially about the former NIN members. The nin wiki says Wooley left for "family reasons," so whatever it was it must have been a private affair

blassster
10-22-2012, 06:05 PM
The vinyl is now available on amazon.CA, for my fellow Canadian bacon. Was only available on the .COM site when it was first up. Still a good idea to see what happens with the htda official site orders, though. Maybe they'll have tshirts...

screwdriver
10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Clouser joined NIN after TDS had been released, he recently admitted that he did nothing in that album, and he just did some stuff for Starfuckers, the rest of his ideas were not included in The Fragile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xctWJjnUrjE

thanks for this amazingly detailed post. even having seen the pensado's place with Clouser (I think I might have even done the NIN-spotting for it), I don't think we can completely downplay Clouser's role on the fragile. I believe he's referring to song ideas in this interview, of which only Starfuckers made it on. However, Clouser has been prolifically posting on another message board, including detailing some of the things behind the scenes on the fragile, and he had a considerable influence on its sound. which partially explains why his own scores, etc., have sort of continued in the same direction.

in other news, November keeps coming closer...

fillow
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
What's that mysterious 'another message board'?

Leviathant
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
What's that mysterious 'another message board'?

That would be the wonderful Gearslutz.com - read this entire thread (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/605445-nine-inch-nails-synths.html). Then go explore the rest of the forum, it's got some really wonderful people amongst its userlist.

mfte
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Patrick left NIN because Trent told him that he would use some of his music for their next album after Broken, which was going to be very "heavy and very guitar oriented, some kind of Broken 2", but then Trent went to the studio and changed his mind and started to play with synths and samplers and decided that Richard's songs didn't fit the tone of the album that he wanted to make, so Patrick left NIN and used his stuff for Filter's first album. He said that he wrote "Hey Man, Nice Shot" for NIN and Trent told him that he liked the song and that they would use it in the album or as a b-side or something, but when TDS changed its direction, Rich realized that he had to form a new band for his own music.

Where exactly did you get this from?

I was an interview hoarder once and all that Rich said was that he played HeyManNiceShot for Trent. Trent then starting making all these suggestions to change it and add things at which point Rich said he knew that he had to go out on his own to realize his vision.

He did mention in an interview somewhere that he was the one that pushed Trent to push heavier darker material like HLAH because at the time Trent was big on the That's What I get type synth pop.

BUT this is all very off topic. How To Destroy Angels.. whooo! Omen whooo!

gorast
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Does anyone think we'll get another preview of the EP soon? We've got like what, three weeks left before release? We'd heard half of EP1 before it was released, after all.

theimage13
10-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Does anyone think we'll get another preview of the EP soon? We've got like what, three weeks left before release? We'd heard half of EP1 before it was released, after all.

Past experiences do not guarantee future results.

Hell, The Slip was released in its entirety for free the day it was ready. Does that mean any future NIN album should now be free the day Trent listens to it and says "yeah, sounds good"?

sheepdean
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Music video? http://instagram.com/p/RK6W5tkKA4/

The Doctor
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Any word on if there's going to be some special pre-order through the official site? Or should I just order through Amazon?

sheepdean
10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
If there's no word on pre ordering it 2 days before it's due out, go to Amazon, otherwise it can't hurt to hold on imo

gorast
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Past experiences do not guarantee future results.

Hell, The Slip was released in its entirety for free the day it was ready. Does that mean any future NIN album should now be free the day Trent listens to it and says "yeah, sounds good"?
Hey, whoa, I was just putting the possibility forth, chill out. I wasn't making the demand for more HTDA before An Omen's release, just saying that they've done it before with the first EP.

Shnoorum
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM

While I'd love it if they did, I personally doubt it. So far they seem to be taking a more traditional approach to the EP. I hope I'm proven wong though as I'm dying to hear more. November still seems so far away

carpenoctem
10-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I really want Trent to post "three weeks." somewhere now. Ah, the good old days

sheepdean
10-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Well, it's passed three weeks by this point. So, really, it's soon

spahn
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
i'm really getting anxious and frustrated at the same time that no pre-order information have been posted.

ninperu
10-25-2012, 11:16 AM
i think we just have to wait until the new video is done, they are using the same format they use on the first EP, pre-order + digital download + video... don't you think?

sheepdean
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh wait, I forgot, I asked Rob, he said they'll have it soon

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/261209821255184385

snaapz
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Oct 24 - Twitter
http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_A.JPG

Does that image look anything like this...?

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/htda/HTDA_B.JPG

Not really, I suppose:confused: I'll try dodging the photo later, maybe it will reveal some of the hardware responsible for the green/white indicators.

Deadpool
10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Atticus was off-the-charts badass in the last HTDA music video, and judging by that still, it looks like he will be again. I'm guessing/hoping we'll get the next real video about 2 weeks prior to the EP release. I want it to be for a song other than "Keep it together", but it doesn't matter much either way, I'm just anxious to see some more visuals from the band. On that note, I'm looking forward to the final vinyl layout! I still love the cover art so much.

WorzelG
10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
I love the cover art too - but not enough to buy a vinyl I don't have a record player for. do you think a pdf with the art will come with the paid download?

sick among the pure
10-26-2012, 09:59 PM
He did mention in an interview somewhere that he was the one that pushed Trent to push heavier darker material like HLAH because at the time Trent was big on the That's What I get type synth pop.

My teacher told me her partner discussed going harder with his music days after NIN's first live show. I'm much more inclined to believe her than someone who left NIN because he didn't feel like he had enough input.

sheepdean
10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I love the cover art too - but not enough to buy a vinyl I don't have a record player for. do you think a pdf with the art will come with the paid download?
ninwiki currently has a pretty HQ version of the cover art, full album art probably will be available somehow once it's out too

jrdsctt
10-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Still no word on if we should cancel our Amazon preorders or not?

jessamineny
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Still no word on if we should cancel our Amazon preorders or not?

See this post a little bit above you (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1169-New-EP-quot-An-Omen-quot?p=53460#post53460)

You can keep hanging on to the Amazon order -- you can cancel up until the day it's shipped

jrdsctt
10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
See this post a little bit above you (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1169-New-EP-quot-An-Omen-quot?p=53460#post53460)

You can keep hanging on to the Amazon order -- you can cancel up until the day it's shipped

Thank you for helping me with my unwillingness to read through all the stuff poster before the bottom of this thread.

sheepdean
10-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Apparently we're to check Pitchfuck tomorrow for new HTDA stuff, woo

gorast
10-31-2012, 09:31 PM
A video perhaps? Or maybe just new information?

Or, dare I say, a new song?

jessamineny
10-31-2012, 09:56 PM
video for a new song

carpenoctem
10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Yep, definitely a video.
Less than two weeks till the EP drops y'all!
Preparing to be underwhelmed, then like it a lot over the next two years.

Collin
10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Yep, definitely a video.
Less than two weeks till the EP drops y'all!
Preparing to be underwhelmed, then like it a lot over the next two years.

yeah, it'll be a video. I hope it's for another track that's not Keep It Together, which it probably will be if they're doing a similar release strategy to what they did for the self-titled EP.

ninperu
10-31-2012, 11:48 PM
i think tomorrow we're going to see the video of "On The Wing"... just a guess...

BenAkenobi
11-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I hope the video is for Sleep of reason produces monsters

sheepdean
11-01-2012, 02:23 AM
I hope it's just this video, but longer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwATwHAzuM

butter_hole
11-01-2012, 03:58 AM
*hoping it coincides with a preorder on the official site*

witte
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/48428-watch-trent-reznors-how-to-destroy-angels_-perform-keep-it-together-in-the-studio/

keep it together :)

DigitalChaos
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I hope it's just this video, but longer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwATwHAzuM
I love this video.
When you say longer, you are referring to mug... right?

spahn
11-01-2012, 02:38 PM
ugh, just got an email from Insound.com to pre-order the HTDA album and still nothing on the official page. fack!

jrdsctt
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Preorders through them are now up: http://store.destroyangels.com/

somethingelse
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
01 – “Keep It Together“
02 – “Ice Age“
03 – “On The Wing“
04 – “The Sleep Of Reason Produces Monsters“
05 – “The Loop Closes“

'Speaking In Tongues' appears to be missing.

xfocalinx
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Boom, per-ordered :)

Santos L Halper
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Will the vinyl be worth the extra $15?

jessamineny
11-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Do you want vinyl?

'Speaking In Tongues' appears to be missing.

They must have fixed it. It shows up as Track 6 for me.

witte
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Lying in my hotel in Brussels with my iPhone. Pre order errors....
Will try tomorrow. Good news!

somethingelse
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
They must have fixed it. It shows up as Track 6 for me.

Yup, all fixed.

Frozen Beach
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
It sucks being a music fan and being broke all the time.

otnavuskire
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Cheapest shipping option to Vermont is $13.51. Ouch. Oh well, still gonna order the vinyl!

jessamineny
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Cheapest shipping option to Vermont is $13.51. Ouch. Oh well, still gonna order the vinyl!

That's nuts, Topspin. It's actually cheaper to buy the physical from Amazon (and pay for shipping and sales tax) and then also purchase a $5 lossless digital copy from the band. : /

richardp
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Hmm. It's cheaper on Amazon and I've got Prime. Think I'm going to go that route. I was hoping for some kind of exclusive website offer. Oh well! Amazon it is!

dbrekke
11-02-2012, 08:35 PM
From @destroyangels:
RE: higher shipping costs on the vinyl: Vinyl orders from us include a bonus limited white label promo remix 12” of Keep it together.

(We wanted it to be a pleasant surprise, but were caught off guard by the resulting higher shipping costs, so we’re letting you know)

jrdsctt
11-02-2012, 08:37 PM
From @destroyangels:
RE: higher shipping costs on the vinyl: Vinyl orders from us include a bonus limited white label promo remix 12” of Keep it together.

(We wanted it to be a pleasant surprise, but were caught off guard by the resulting higher shipping costs, so we’re letting you know)

Well that explains it.

howdidislipinto
11-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I ordered to support the band directly even though it physically hurt to nearly double the price just for shipping. Bonus vinyl makes it all better. TR/AR/MM/RS know how to soothe our tortured souls.

ETA: Shipping to California was just over $16, for anyone who cares to know.

otnavuskire
11-02-2012, 08:40 PM
From @destroyangels:

Knowing that, I'm totally okay with the high shipping costs now! Thanks!

richardp
11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeeeeep just canceled my amazon order.

FULLMETAL
11-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I have to admit, it would have been a sweet surprise to see the bonus 12" promo when opening the parcel.

gorast
11-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I really hope that "limited stock" is the same sort of limited that the Dragon Tattoo set is - I definitely can't preorder this damn thing right now.

jhulud
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
This was a no-brainer. ORDERED!!! BOO-YAAAAAA!!!!

DigitalChaos
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I have to admit, it would have been a sweet surprise to see the bonus 12" promo when opening the parcel.
Well, we still don't know who did the remix!

sheepdean
11-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I would imagine side A is Factory Floor, side B is Dave Sitek...

jessamineny
11-02-2012, 09:44 PM

I would assume it's Factory Floor/Dave Sitek (since those were labeled A1/B1 on Soundcloud)

Edit: :D

Shnoorum
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
While I feel like I should own the vinyl I don't actually have a record player or have the slightest desire to ever do so. I'm also not a fan of the remixes at all. May still pick it up against my better judgement for the artwork alone.

Harry Seaward
11-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't have a record player, but I wanted to support them and I thought maybe that white vinyl will be rare and worth something eventually. But I really can't justify $16.21 shipping on a $20 order. I live in Nevada, so it's not like they're shipping to Antarctica. Oh well, digital it is.

sheepdean
11-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Wait, shipping to the UK is the same as domestic shipping? HAHA, I WIN THIS TIME YANKS.

simonn
11-03-2012, 03:27 AM
For me, no record player and not a huge fan of either remix myself - Sitek's is passable, the other laughable. So £3 for 6 new HTDA tracks will have to do, very good value in all honesty! Would've preferred a CD and all that comes with it personally. Hey ho.

sore_and_crucified
11-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Bonus remix vinyl- Nah, I'll pass.

Anyone else expecting something a little extra than what has been offered? This seems a little slack from Reznor in terms of presentation, especially with the support of the 3 other members...including Rob. I was expecting something middle ground between a standard vinyl and The Dragon box set, certainly nothing as lavish as that but something better than this.

I understand It's only an EP so hopefully a better effort for the LP release!

BenAkenobi
11-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Anyone else expecting something a little extra than what has been offered?

do you mean new shirts and posters?

carpenoctem
11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
There's no reason to go all out for an EP, half of which we'll hear again on next year's LP.

jessamineny
11-03-2012, 09:08 AM
There's no reason to go all out for an EP, half of which we'll hear again on next year's LP.

Agreed. Though, when you think about it, pressing it on 180-gram vinyl and including a limited white label remix promo is indeed "going all out" for an EP :D

carpenoctem
11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Notice he didn't type How to destroy angels_

This gives me hope for the future.

Harry Seaward
11-03-2012, 09:52 PM

He just tagged the HDA Facebook page, which is all caps for some reason.

DigitalChaos
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/How_to_destroy_angels__Keep_it_together_on_Vimeo-20121101-102836.jpg

aaaaaand now we can add in the ALL CAPS title that Rob posted. Further proof that he is the one behind it. This must be him trolling the hell out of people who are equally sensitive (he fights wars over the oxford comma).

DigitalChaos
11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
The next one is going to be hOW tO dESTROY aNGELS
just watch

richardp
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
H0W 2 D357R0Y 4NG315

Wait, oops, already taken.

gorast
11-03-2012, 11:25 PM
The next one is going to be hOW tO dESTROY aNGELS
just watch
That's like some Homestuck shit.

Rob has no one but himself to blame for all the silliness in the art style (as awesome as it is). Better than Mark Weaver anyway.

jmtd
11-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Is that how much the shipping is for you? Where to?

Has anyone pre-ordered to the UK and if so what's the hit for shipping?

Santos L Halper
11-04-2012, 11:16 AM

I was just stating the difference between the digital and the vinyl....that was before I noticed that shipping was around another $11.

carpenoctem
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/How_to_destroy_angels__Keep_it_together_on_Vimeo-20121101-102836.jpg

aaaaaand now we can add in the ALL CAPS title that Rob posted. Further proof that he is the one behind it. This must be him trolling the hell out of people who are equally sensitive (he fights wars over the oxford comma).

lol. I care far too much about this. ​Is it too much to ask for a little consistency, y'all

eversonpoe
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
shipping to chicago would have only been $10, and as much of a collector as i am, i couldn't justify spending the extra money on a 12" remix EP that i don't like at all. there are plenty of rare NIN items that i rarely listen to, but i don't dislike any of them (except maybe the capital G single). i got the $5 digital download and stuck with the $18.75 & free shipping from amazon...

gorast
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Regarding the remix EP:

The tweet mentions that it's a white-label vinyl. Does that apply to just the label on the vinyl itself, or will the sleeve also be blank? I'm not well-versed in vinyl terminology, so help me out on this one.

sheepdean
11-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I would assume it'll come in a sleeve showing KIT's artwork - white label often is a blank sleeve, but not always (as KIT's artwork has no artist name on it, it would fall under white label guidelines)

gorast
11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Bit the bullet for the EP from HTDA's site - that mention of the stock running out quickly scared me into buying now. I can make do with 33 dollars less, I suppose.

Pilgrim
11-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Hello, does anybody knows if Amazon UK is already sold out or hasn't even started yet selling the new EP (vinyl)?

Camille
11-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Hello, does anybody knows if Amazon UK is already sold out or hasn't even started yet selling the new EP (vinyl)?

They have not had it for sale yet. I have been keeping an eye on it daily.

witte
11-05-2012, 04:49 AM

For the Dutch Mountains:
1 vinyl (+ promo) = $16
2 vinyls (+ promo) = $24.84
Same as domestic

shagg_187
11-05-2012, 06:18 AM
You surprised ruiners, you!

spahn
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
and the vinyl has just sold out as posted by the HTDA twitter account.

gorast
11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Now I'm really glad I ordered last night.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that the vinyl sold out so quickly - either the promotional machine is working or the site had a really small allotment.

witte
11-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Again, to be sure.
They confirmed (they told us earlier):
Tweeted: "Promo vinyl was only from us. All gone now."
If you buy at other stores, it's only the EP!

Shnoorum
11-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Again, to be sure.
They confirmed (they told us earlier):
Tweeted: "Promo vinyl was only from us. All gone now."
If you buy at other stores, it's only the EP!

Meh. Personally I hated the remixes so nothing lost on my part. Would have kind of liked it for completion's sake but can't say I'm too fussed.

Maul
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Shame there's no cd release of this one.I was hoping for that and I'm gutted since I have no vinyl player and I can't invest on one just to play this D:

eversonpoe
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
anyone else curious if "the loop closes" was inspired by Looper? i would guess not, given that the movie hasn't been out that long, and the songs were (supposedly) completed far earlier this year, but i can still dream...

r_z
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Given they already named one of the songs after a stellar drawing from a spanish artist, naming another one after a hollywood-movie might have been just a bit too pretentious for my taste.

NotoriousTIMP
11-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Damn it, the vinyl is sold out already? Even on Amazon?

eversonpoe
11-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Damn it, the vinyl is sold out already? Even on Amazon?

it is sold out through the band. still available elsewhere (but, obviously, without the bonus remix 12")

NotoriousTIMP
11-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Ah, I didn't see the remix 12". Oh well...

gorast
11-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Shame there's no cd release of this one.I was hoping for that and I'm gutted since I have no vinyl player and I can't invest on one just to play this D:
I only buy the vinyl for completion's sake, and I don't intend on opening either one, honestly. As long as I can hear the music in some fashion (in this case via the digital download) then I'm fine with just owning sealed physical copies.

somewhat_
11-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Track lengths have been listed on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/An-omen-EP_/dp/B00A136U28/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352211688&sr=301-4). I'm not sure we had known those before.

Also, this editorial review (http://www.amazon.com/Omen-How-Destroy-Angels/dp/B009A9EYLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352209695&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+destroy+angels) is on Amazon (may give insight on what the so called "stand-out" tracks are):

"2012 EP from this band featuring Nine Inch Nails mainman Trent Reznor plus his wife Mariqueen Maandig and Atticus Ross. An Omen is the follow-up to their self-titled debut EP. Six tracks including 'Keep It Together', 'On The Wing' and 'Speaking In Tongues'."

snaapz
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I am really interested in "Speaking in tongues". I'm wondering if they will be "singing/chanting" is some foreign language or strange voice at some point in the song. Keep It Together has me belieiving that there is some mediumship going on here.

I've never purchased vinyl & don't own a player... I really wish that I owned one for the added value/experience.

I wish there was more teasing, other than the random photos being posted. Maybe some 2-10 second audio/video snippets or scavanger hunts.

I'll be vacationing in CUBA just after the release comes out... so... I'll have plenty of time to listen to the tracks over and over while soaking up some sun.

buckaroo
11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I wish there was more teasing, other than the random photos being posted. Maybe some 2-10 second audio/video snippets or scavanger hunts.

this is probably the first time i have really wanted to hear more samples before purchasing a trent related release. it's too bad, because of that i have missed out on the pre-order vinyl, but i'm just not ready to buy it i guess. i'll pay the 5 dollars for the download, but i am not sure yet if i want to pay for the vinyl...

gorast
11-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Yes! More long songs! Perfect!

Rdm
11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Shit I missed the pre-order on their website. I just Pre ordered from amazon, saved me some money on the shipping. = /

joplinpicasso
11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Didn't pre-order, but I'm excited to hear! Also, I didn't know they were covering BATS (http://bats.bandcamp.com/track/the-sleep-of-reason-brings-forth-monsters) ;]

Magtig
11-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Exclusive! Cover art for the LP:

http://www.juxtapoz.com/Gallery/image?format=raw&id=44810&type=img

jhulud
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
A friend ordered from somewhere else and already got it. He posted these pictures on the Vinyl Collective message board:

http://i45.tinypic.com/dlkg3c.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ldbmvb.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2aand6c.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/10z2z34.jpg

Harry Seaward
11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
ordered from somewhere else

Thanks for being so descriptive.

somewhat_
11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
A friend ordered from somewhere else and already got it. He posted these pictures on the Vinyl Collective message board:

What's the scoop? Are we all going to hear this before Tuesday ;)? What's his opinion of the EP?

jhulud
11-06-2012, 05:49 PM
That's all he said..."I ordered this from somewhere else". Want me to beat it out of him? Cuz I will!

;)

my voice just
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
must be columbia records moving music forward...

somethingelse
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
That's all he said..."I ordered this from somewhere else". Want me to beat it out of him? Cuz I will!

;)

If you could ask nicely that would be great. Perhaps a link...

ItsJustDave
11-06-2012, 05:55 PM
If you could ask nicely that would be great. Perhaps a link...

For suck's fake people, be sensible.

jhulud
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I was being a bit sarcastic in my reply. Read it back and I sound defensive. I'm such a dick.

blassster
11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I ended up keeping my amazon.ca order, as it was cheaper in the end and I didn't care for the remixes. Just got an email that my vinyl shipped.

screwdriver
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/dlkg3c.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ldbmvb.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2aand6c.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/10z2z34.jpg

wow, that looks beautiful -- I almost wish I would've ordered the vinyl now. alas, I'll stick with the download.

eversonpoe
11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
wow, that looks beautiful -- I almost wish I would've ordered the vinyl now. alas, I'll stick with the download.

you can still get the vinyl through amazon.

Harry Seaward
11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
This hasn't leaked yet?

blassster
11-06-2012, 08:45 PM
This hasn't leaked yet?

Would the lack of CD decrease the chances of it happening? Less human contact with digital version, maybe they'd easily find out who leaked it. Vinyl... don't know if people pressing it have easy access to the files that create 'em, or however it works, and not as many people rip vinyl compared to CD

gorast
11-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Damn, now I want my copy even more. I'm really liking that back artwork.

jrdsctt
11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Wait, if it was ordered from "somewhere else" how did they get the Keep it together_ 12"?

ItsJustDave
11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Wait, if it was ordered from "somewhere else" how did they get the Keep it together_ 12"?

Who said anything about that? I'm guessing we're looking at inner and outer sleeve here.

jrdsctt
11-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I see. Sorry, I was thrown off when I saw the image used for Keep it together_'s album art. I suppose I should have taken more time to read what was written on it.

sheepdean
11-06-2012, 11:21 PM
#recordlabels

Harry Seaward
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Still no leak. First Obama wins the election and now this. Worst Tuesday ever.

sheepdean
11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
If someone rips the vinyl and leaks it on here, I imagine banhammer will be swift. Less than a week until we have it, I think y'all can be patient :P

Frozen Beach
11-06-2012, 11:50 PM
How possible is it that a NPR First Listen type deal might happen?

FernandoDante
11-07-2012, 12:21 AM
How possible is it that a NPR First Listen type deal might happen?
I didn't think it would be likely at all, because I thought Columbia would be able to KEEP IT TOGETHER and prevent the exact thing that just happened here.

Now, with the record out there a week early, I figure Trent will be cool and pull a Year Zero - put the album online early.

gorast
11-07-2012, 01:07 AM
The sticker pointed out that a free digital copy is included with the vinyl. I don't know if anyone else pointed that out. Maybe it'll be put up somewhere soon.

Not that I'm begging for that, I can wait a week.

harrismonkey
11-07-2012, 02:23 AM
I can't wait!

KreTafkA
11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I have just ordered another copy of "An Omen" in my local shop for less then 10$ :)

witte
11-07-2012, 09:15 AM
And again, German sites are selling them for around $10 too (with low shipment).

PhoenixML
11-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't have a record player, so I didn't preordered the vinyl.

Now, is there going to be a PDF with the digital version?

WorzelG
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Just saw on facebook - whole EP streaming tomorrow at the Hype Machine (whatever that is). It was actually tweeted by Mariqueen https://twitter.com/mariqueen

FernandoDante
11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Yup, streaming tomorrow on a website called The Hype Machine:

http://hypem.com (http://hypem.com/)

http://www.facebook.com/howtodestroyangels/posts/489445487743592

I wonder whether they would do this if the vinyl hadn't started shipping so soon.

Frozen Beach
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
New Deftones leaked, and now new HTDA tomorrow? Excuse me while I change my pants.

FernandoDante
11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
New Deftones leaked, and now new HTDA tomorrow? Excuse me while I change my pants.
Out of all the big things coming out on November 13th (HTDA, Rolling Stones, Deftones, Soundgarden, Green Day), the only one that hasn't shown up yet is the Black Ops 2 theme. It's gotta be close too.

witte
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
nevermind!

Torgo
11-07-2012, 05:51 PM
The Hype Machine is a great website for music discovery. I listen to that stuff everyday and recommend it to anyone who likes to listen to some new stuff that's (for the most part) all pretty great. That's just my two cents though.

https://www.facebook.com/howtodestroyangels/posts/489445487743592

Looks like we'll have to keep an eye on here: http://hypem.com

EDIT: I assume it'll come up under their album premieres (http://hypem.com/featured/premieres) section

Shnoorum
11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh sweet jesus this is great news. Or horrible news depending on what time it starts streaming. I'm working 4pm - 1am (GMT) tomorrow and if it hasn't streamed before I leave for work its gonna be one looooong loooooong ass day.

gorast
11-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Ah, well that was somewhat unexpected. Can't wait to hear it. Will it be a one-time stream or an on-demand thing throughout the day? Does anyone know?

Torgo
11-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Hype Machine usually streams stuff all day long - for an unlimited amount of time. Who's to say that this will be different though. However, I'll be surprised if it is.

Conrad Lienert
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Awesome! I can't wait.

Tuesday was looking too far away.

imail724
11-07-2012, 10:00 PM
So where's the cheapest place to get the vinyl? Amazon?

ldeaf2
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I think Amazon is the cheapest. Just based on shipping.

richardp
11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I think I might actually avoid the stream and wait to listen to the EP for the first time via the LP. Plus, i'll still be digesting the new Deftones album tomorrow.

I'm shocked that I even said that.

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 03:39 AM
I think I might actually avoid the stream and wait to listen to the EP for the first time via the LP. Plus, i'll still be digesting the new Deftones album tomorrow.

I'm shocked that I even said that.

Feck that! I just forced myself out of bed after 4 hours sleep in the off chance that they'd have it up this early. Sadly not. Anyone have a good idea what time it might show up. If it shows up after I head to work, I swear to god...

butter_hole
11-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Feck that! I just forced myself out of bed after 4 hours sleep in the off chance that they'd have it up this early. Sadly not. Anyone have a good idea what time it might show up. If it shows up after I head to work, I swear to god...
it will definitely be after you head to work.

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 04:04 AM
it will definitely be after you head to work.

Those words just cut right through me. Lies and slander!

butter_hole
11-08-2012, 05:06 AM
good thing is, they appear to just put up links to soundcloud streams, meaning it's easily rippable and maybe even gonna be downloadable. yeah.

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 05:13 AM
good thing is, they appear to just put up links to soundcloud streams, meaning it's easily rippable and maybe even gonna be downloadable. yeah.

Yeah I'm gonna be naughty and do so if I can. I fully intend to buy it but if I can get it early, bugger waiting

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 08:04 AM
http://hypem.com/featured

It's up. About fucking time

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Goddamnit Ice Age is catchy. Seriously, where is everyone? It's up! Dear god it's streaming! Get your asses on it for heaven sake!

fortheloveofgod
11-08-2012, 08:12 AM
I like this one too. Kinda reminds me of NO Doubt for some reason.

Goddamnit Ice Age is catchy. Seriously, where is everyone? It's up! Dear god it's streaming! Get your asses on it for heaven sake!

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Woah Ice Age is fucking awesome

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Silly thing to say seeing as it'd be silly of them to do this but I wish it was downloadable. I have to go to work in less than an hour and I really wont have my fix by then. I suppose it could be worse. They could have left uploading it untill I'd already left...

PhoenixML
11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
My headphones broke in the bus while coming at work. I CAN'T LISTEN TO IT UNTIL NOON!!

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Expect full lyrics in about an hour, if we don't get official ones by then, I want to soak it in before I transcribe (anyone else, feel free to do it instead if you get impatient :P)

witte
11-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I think a lot of people gonna hate this....
:)

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Atleast there'll be no complaints about it sounding too much like NIN. I love it particularly Ice Age. Goddamn is Ice Age catchy

Leo_OAK
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Loving the whole thing. Definitely different than the first EP. Better, I guess. It does not sound like NIN at all, and it's... I don't know, so neat. Loving it.

danebraddy
11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
agreed, but I ain't one of 'em.

they said different, they said less NIN influence, they delivered.

dzaver
11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm at Ice Age and I love the interesting new direction they took but I agree that a lot of people won't like it.

fortheloveofgod
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM

It is way different. Way different than the first EP. Love the direction they took. Its really make me crave the full LP.

If you do rip the tracks they are 128kps. Nothing to shake a stick at.

danebraddy
11-08-2012, 08:34 AM
The Loop That Closes is fucking awesome. And it's not just the abundance of TR.

Leo_OAK
11-08-2012, 08:34 AM

My thoughts, exactly. Just finished listening to all the songs, and I find myself... eager for the whole album. This is... fresh. Very fresh

Indefinite_Cure
11-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Thank you for the heads up, listening right now!

dtuck90
I'm only up to On The Wing but this is fucking brilliant

Shnoorum
I'd also like to see more people say Mariqueen can't sing after hearing Ice Age. She sounds absolutely amazing

Indefinite_Cure
11-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Shit this is rather amazing! Love it so far! This feels like the band Trent always wanted to have...I mean he did have more pop-ish tendencies in the beginning!

And of course, this is so well produced!

baudolino
11-08-2012, 08:43 AM
wow. they fooled us with the single. should have expected it though...
like it very much so far.

danebraddy
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Ok so I just finished my first play through, I'll stop spamming the thread now but:

This is so far removed from the first EP, with the exception of Keep it Together it's hard to believe it's the same band - I really liked the first EP, but this is something else.
It has such a mood about it.
Excitement always enhances a new piece of music, but this is awesome.
There isn't a track on here that doesn't have something special in it, the unexpectedness of Ice Age with Q's awesome voice, the chant of The Loop Closes or the atmosphere of Speaking in Tongues - this is a winner.

NIN64
11-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Can't listen. I'm in a class. . . .

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok so I just finished my first play through, I'll stop spamming the thread now but:

This is so far removed from the first EP, with the exception of Keep it Together it's hard to believe it's the same band - I really liked the first EP, but this is something else.
It has such a mood about it.
Excitement always enhances a new piece of music, but this is awesome.
There isn't a track on here that doesn't have something special in it, the unexpectedness of Ice Age with Q's awesome voice, the chant of The Loop Closes or the atmosphere of Speaking in Tongues - this is a winner.

Fuck not spamming the thread! Feel like an excited puppy right now. Sadly leaving for work in 10 minutes. Also POTENTIAL SPOILERS TO ANYONE THAT DOESNT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING YET (NOT SURE HOW TO DO SPOILER TAGS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), whos that singing with Mariqueen in On The Wing? Is it just me or does that not sound like Trent?

witte
11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm only up to On The Wing but this is fucking brilliant

Is this a cover? Or stolen?
Man, I recognize that refrain.

eversonpoe
11-08-2012, 08:59 AM
i've had goosebumps for the entirety of Ice Age. they have literally not gone away once. i wish i could reliably listen to this in my car on the way to work...guess i'm just going to have to be late today...

Alpha 60
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
This was an exciting listen. I have really enjoyed everything from Ghosts onward. TSN is one of my favorite things TR has ever done. But these tracks are a really welcome addition. It’s a good combination of production style going all the way back to Saul’s album but newly applied arranged into something new(er) sounding. Each song does create a mood or tension. Criticisms will probably be that songs are not super dynamic with big hooks or choruses and that each song kind of “krautrocks” along. I like Keep It Together, but it is probably my least favorite track of the EP. Very excited for the album.

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
One down: http://www.ninwiki.com/Ice_Age (pretty sure there's errors, PLEASE feel free to edit or comment on what I've done wrong)

witte
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
ha ha ha
refrain 'on the wing' = influenced by THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagzTRmUBIE)

DigitalChaos
11-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Is this a cover? Or stolen?
Man, I recognize that refrain.
It's not the words. It's the notes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w#t=10s

edit: fucking beaten!

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
THESE LYRICS ARE SO WRONG OH MY GOD http://www.ninwiki.com/On_The_Wing
Please, tell me what the hell they're saying, I'll reward you with a cookie, because that's the best I can do

Max Leo
11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
According to the (not confirmed yet, right?) "Welcome Oblivion" tracklist, "Speaking In Tongues" and "The Sleep of Reason" won't be included on the LP, but I hope they are included as extra tracks in a possible cd limited/special edition with a few demos or remixes (if it's a 2 disc edition) for those of us that like to buy cds and want to have those tracks in a physical format (I don't have and have never had a vinyl player, I started to listen music in the 90s, I bought cds and that's what I keep buying, and I can't be the only one).

I also expect more songs like "Ice Age" (or like "IYLSE") where Q can prove to the haters once again that she is actually a good singer.

FernandoDante
11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Definitely hearing a TGWTDT thing on Speaking In Tongues.

Amaro
11-08-2012, 09:36 AM
One new song in, and I'm getting a cool Sheryl Crow vibe.

screwdriver
11-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Definitely hearing a TGWTDT thing on Speaking In Tongues.

yeah, there seems to be some sonic overlap on several of the songs

just finished my first listen and WOW. maybe my expectations were lower, but I thought it was amazing.

echoespaul
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I like the idea of them playing this music live in some intimate venues.

Maul
11-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm loving it.It's pretty different to their first EP and I appreciate that.

k258
11-08-2012, 09:43 AM
OMG, I actually like this! Shocker! I've been highly critical of most HDA to date, including and especially Keep it Together. It has often appeared to me as if T plopped Q in front of a microphone and said, "sing this" or "press this button when I say so." That his adoration of her blinded him and/or intimidated her. This feels more like a marriage. The closer Q and T can get to appearing as equals, the better impression they will make musically. What has always attracted me to NIN is that the music and the personality behind it are intertwined. Q seems like a spunky girl, more than the sad whisperer of HDA. As a NIN fan, I would be happiest if Q and T would just scream at each other. Musically, that is. But, I think I'll actually buy this and check them out on tour.

Highly Psychological
11-08-2012, 09:47 AM
The EP has a weird combination of lo fi acoustic guitar sounds with cutting edge electronic music production. Word ice defines this record. Sounds like the perfect record to meditate to on a grey day.

Sleep of Reason produces Monsters is my favourite its absolutely beautiful, stunning, love the way it gradually builds up with the warm sounds...

Most tracks gradually build up, i like the chant 'beginning is the end keeps coming around again' and the beats 'on the wing'.

Its much much much better than the first EP. They have a real distinct unique sounds here. I really like how calm it is. Proper chilled out.
If i were to pick one record of TR's previous work i would link it with it would be The Fragile, lots of lovely insturmental soundscapes and some good hooks buried undeneath.

But yeah lovely chilled out record with some nice punchy bits.

Fragilicity
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Wow, The Loop Closes came on and bam, I'm hooked. This is exactly what I was lookin for from these guys.

jhulud
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I have to wait til I get home to listen. Streaming sites are blocked at work. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
The Loop Closes needs to be the song that opens their live shows.

Mech
11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Wing chorus sounds like "I can see clearly now, (the rain is gone)."

ItsJustDave
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Can't wait for the "i don't like it, it doesn't sound enough like nine inch nails" posts from the people who previously posted "i don't like it, it sounds too much like nine inch nails, it needs its own identity".

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I am going to do Speaking In Tongues later this evening, because I kinda have to go out soon, but here is 5/6 of the lyrics for the EP (all have potential errors except The Loop Closes, for obvious reasons) http://www.ninwiki.com/An_Omen_EP

edit: and the soundcloud page confirms this is sigil 3 (so keep it together isn't a sigil) (so what the fuck was sigil 1 then)