PDA

View Full Version : The Peanut Butter Thread

aggroculture
08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Ever since turning vegetarian 4 years ago, PB has come to be a major part of my diet: I generally eat a little every day for breakfast on some toast, with some jam on top.
I enjoy discovering new peanut butters. My favourite is crunchy with a little salt, no other additives.
I recently discovered this one, which I like, though it's a little pricey:
http://koeze.com/images/Product/medium/CreamNutJarCr.gif
Also, Whole Foods does a great cheap pb
http://d1kg9jbrq423rq.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_hero/public/product_172.jpg

Other recommendations and pb discussion welcome!

Fixer808
08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
My grandparents owned a health food store many years ago, and they had a peanut butter making machine. That shit was awesome.

frankie teardrop
08-29-2012, 10:31 AM
http://943thepoint.com/files/2012/07/dog-with-peanut-butter-224x300.jpg

one of my favorite breakfasts is a smoothie of fat free chocolate milk, a banana, and a scoop or two of peanut butter.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
one of my favorite breakfasts is a smoothie of fat free chocolate milk, a banana, and a scoop or two of peanut butter.

Jesus, that sounds delicious.

I hate how much of a pain it is to spread crunchy peanut butter. But it's so good.

orestes
08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Love making smoothies with peanut butter.

The name of this smoothie is apt.
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/13/peanut-butter-bomb-smoothie-for-two/

Also, I make this recipe all the time.
http://www.thekitchn.com/no-ice-cream-frozen-banana-pea-111540

Leviathant
08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
For the last month or two, I've started making Peanut Butter and Nutella sandwiches, and I don't know if I can kick the habit.

aggroculture
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Talking of pb and chocolate, I found this in Germany this summer and wanted to take it to my next destination, Spain (where you can't find pb for love or money).
My gf was worried about how heavy our cases were so I put it in my hand luggage. To me pb is a solid, not a liquid. Anyway, the security person called it a liquid and said that because it was over 100g I could not take it on the plane, and had to trash it. So I never even got to try it. Crushed.
http://static-resources.goodguide.net/images/entities/large/283318.jpg

Dra508
08-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Almond Butter

/

DF118
08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Peanut butter is absolutely disgusting. You're all out of your minds.

allegro
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I eat creamy Jif peanut butter every.single.day. No day is complete without creamy Jif.

Dra508
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I eat creamy Jif peanut butter every.single.day. No day is complete without creamy Jif.I always thought I liked Jif because it has more sugar in it then the others. No?

allegro
08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't think that's it, because I also get creamy Simply Jif and creamy Natural Jif (both of which have reduced salt and sugar) and they're still better, to me, than Skippy or Whole Foods or any of those other peanut butters.

Frozen Beach
08-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Is it weird that I hate peanut butter, but I love peanut butter cups? It's the only way I can stand consuming peanut butter.

Space Suicide
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Always liked and ate peanut butter. Always will.

allegro
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Is it weird that I hate peanut butter, but I love peanut butter cups? It's the only way I can stand consuming peanut butter.
Peanut butter cups ain't peanut butter; they're a sugar chemical bomb with peanut butter flavoring. The texture isn't even peanut butter; it's granulated sugar. Which is probably why you like it: it ain't peanut butter. They're so fucking intense, I can never eat more than one mini and then I have to drink a giant glass of water.

Make your own sometime. Here, they're called Buckeyes. I use Jif in mine, they're round like buckeyes, and then you'd really know the processed SHIT that is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Reese's Pieces, which I *LOVE*, is probably closer to actual peanut butter, but barely.

Beef of the Sea
08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Peanut butter is absolutely disgusting. You're all out of your minds.

Agreed, I like my Peanut butter like I prefer saw blades, as far away from my mouth as possible.

redshoewearer
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Peanut butter on toast; peanut butter on apples; peanut butter on carrots; peanut butter in cookies. It is all good. But it has to be crunchy for me. I hate smooth.

halloween
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Seriously, it is delicious. With or without jelly, with or without nutella. I prefer it a bit salted.

heavenly_bearded
08-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi like my pb like I like my women. Thick and chunky. Seriously though, peter pan pb is the only way to go.

orestes
08-31-2012, 09:03 PM
This is the shit.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploadedImages/Blogs/Relish!/17010006_lg.jpg

aggroculture
08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
My favourite thing to eat for breakfast is probably this: multigrain toast, crunchy pb, fresh raspberries on top.

allegro
08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Toasted bagel with peanut butter on it, mmmmmmmmm, the PB gets all melty.

peanut butter on apples.
Awwwwww yeahhhhhhhh

Also, peanut butter on graham crackers.

halloween
09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
The existence of this thread has made my consumption of peanut butter much higher than usual these past days because I'll open my cabinet and immediately think "I want peanut butter."

Love it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-04-2012, 08:38 PM
The existence of this thread has made my consumption of peanut butter much higher than usual these past days because I'll open my cabinet and immediately think "I want peanut butter."

Love it.

Thank God. I feel like less of a freak knowing that I'm not the only one doing this. Now I just eat peanut butter. For no raisin.

Baphomette
09-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Can't eat peanut butter anymore. Developed an allergy about four years ago. Totally sucks.

millionmilesaway
09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
crunchy peanut butter is the only way to go. I love peanut butter but am having trouble finding a good tasting brand recently. Used to do Skippy and various store brands but they are awfully hydrogenated. Tried switching to natural PB but It is way too goopy and completely the wrong texture in my opinion and every one I've tried is awful. Tried Almond butter and it is NASTY! once I finish off what I have (smart balance natural, which is actually the best tasting so far) I think I'll try sunflower butter, I hear it tastes most like PB.

The best thing ever is an english muffin with butter, peanut butter and sliced bananas.

I was taught to always butter my toast then add the Peanut butter, anyone else do the same?

allegro
09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
can't eat peanut butter anymore. Developed an allergy about four years ago. Totally sucks.
omg, we can suddenly develop a peanut butter allergy???????
Wtf, that's horrible!!!!

aggroculture
09-05-2012, 12:31 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn1Lv9C4eD_TB-_TtnnlTfcCO6q3FAdl7Ai9TErilDCeQaulBxhg&t=1
Just cracked this...crunchy but oh so smooth.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I was taught to always butter my toast then add the Peanut butter, anyone else do the same?

I don't add the butter, but I have started turning my usual four slices of toast into two toasted PB and J sandwiches. I even toast the bread when I'm just making the sandwiches now.

Leman Russ
09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Two peanut butter & jelly sandwiches (one strawberry, one apricot or peach preserves) and a tall glass of milk = best lunch of all time.

botley
09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Love the stuff... it is still the tastiest way to get a little extra protein in without eating meat. When I was super broke a couple years back I would go to a bulk foods emporium and scoop it out of their massive tubs.

Crunchy FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3L0kRC6Uo

allegro
09-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Am I the *only* one, on here, who prefers creamy over crunchy?

On my mom's recommendation, I got some of those Jif "To Go" containers and took one plus a sliced apple to work yesterday for a snack. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm good.

The other day, I was totally a bad girl: I slopped a teaspoon of creamy Jif onto a few scoops of chocolate-chocolate chunk ice cream.

orestes
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Nope, creamy all the way for me.

Leman Russ
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Am I the *only* one, on here, who prefers creamy over crunchy?

I have never liked crunchy.

Fixer808
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I prefer creamy, but do enjoy crunchy every now and then as a bit of a change of pace... Also, how did this thread make it to 2 pages?! ;p

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I prefer creamy, but do enjoy crunchy every now and then as a bit of a change of pace... Also, how did this thread make it to 2 pages?! ;p

What I wanna know is what kind of psychological mental voodoo this thread is pulling to make me want peanut butter on EVERYTHING.

Seriously, earlier, I caught myself wondering how it would taste to have peanut butter in my macaroni 'n cheese. I should look up a recipe for that.

aggroculture
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
My favourite type of pb is the one that has the best of both worlds: the smoothness of creamy, and the crunchiness of crunchy. Some crunchies, typically the "natural" kind, can get a bit cement-y, especially at the bottom.

But now I might try some other type of nut butter: maybe almond butter could be good. I think I tried it once and didn't like it much.

It must be dear to our hearts, or rather mouths and stomachs.

Fixer808
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Macadamia butter!!! Holy, I need to try that now!

orestes
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I know what I making for breakfast this weekend. (http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/06/early-morning-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal/)

Dra508
09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I know what I making for breakfast this weekend. (http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/06/early-morning-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal/)Oh yum - interesting blog too. Thanks!

Leman Russ
09-07-2012, 08:05 AM
But now I might try some other type of nut butter: maybe almond butter could be good. I think I tried it once and didn't like it much.

I've tried sunflower butter before, and it was really tasty. I thought it would taste like poo (even though I love sunflower seeds) but it surprised me.

halloween
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I thought it would taste like poo (even though I love sunflower seeds) but it surprised me.
Do we have a Quote of the Day thread? Because this was really funny to me, then again I might just be immature.

marodi
09-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I have to eat 3 tablespoons of peanut butter everyday. Doctor's orders. I'm not kidding you! It's all about the proteins.

Oh and it's creamy pb for me too since I'm forbidden to eat the crunchy one. No biggie, I've always loved creamy more.

Findus
09-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. This was a staple in my lunch through elementary school. In middle school I went to PB & blackberry jam, then later on went back to PB & honey.
This past week I've been eating PB & Co.'s Dark Chocolate Dreams (thanks Orestes), and also picked up their Bee's Knees PB. Not bad.... but not as good as fresh squeezed honey. I used to be a crunchy/chunky fan, but now prefer creamy.

My mom used to make these delicious treats that had two ingredients: peanut butter and honey. I don't know exactly how she made them, but I'm guessing she just mixed the two ingredients together in a bowl and then rolled it into balls that she placed on a tray with wax paper, then stuck them in the fridge. Or maybe it was the freezer. Not sure. Would the honey freeze, though? Maybe it was just the fridge.

I also like almond butter. Tahini (sesame butter) is okay for a sandwich. Pretty runny, though. I usually sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on the tahini. Sunflower butter is okay.... there's a company that makes chocolate & sunflower butter cups. Certainly not as good as the PB ones. I've had cashew butter..... that's pretty good..... rather thick. It's hard to find, though. I can't remember the last time I saw some, but then again, I typically don't buy nut butters from Whole Foods, and I think that was where I picked up the cashew butter years ago.

Oh, and these Old School PB&J bars made by Pro Bar are quite good. They taste like a PB&J sandwich that has been mashed up and formed into a bar. They're a bit pricey, but convenient on bike rides, hikes, or just stashing in the car. I've had quite a number of this company's bars, and each flavor is really good. REI sells them.

http://shop.theprobar.com/Old-School-PBandJ/p/PRO-100131&c=ProBar@ArtsOriginals

orestes
09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Speaking of PB&J bars, lärabars are pretty damn tasty.

Leman Russ
09-13-2012, 11:27 AM
A friend of a friend just made the argument that pb&j sandwiches are racist, as only white people eat them. What??

Frozen Beach
09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Peanut butter cups ain't peanut butter; they're a sugar chemical bomb with peanut butter flavoring. The texture isn't even peanut butter; it's granulated sugar. Which is probably why you like it: it ain't peanut butter. They're so fucking intense, I can never eat more than one mini and then I have to drink a giant glass of water.

Make your own sometime. Here, they're called Buckeyes. I use Jif in mine, they're round like buckeyes, and then you'd really know the processed SHIT that is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Reese's Pieces, which I *LOVE*, is probably closer to actual peanut butter, but barely.
I hate Reese's peanut butter cups. I much prefer brands that use authentic peanut butter.

redshoewearer
09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
What I wanna know is what kind of psychological mental voodoo this thread is pulling to make me want peanut butter on EVERYTHING.

Every time I come here and see this thread I get reminded that I've been meaning to bake the Vegan with a Vengeance huge peanut butter cookies.

Sutekh
09-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Talking of pb and chocolate, I found this in Germany this summer and wanted to take it to my next destination, Spain (where you can't find pb for love or money).
My gf was worried about how heavy our cases were so I put it in my hand luggage. To me pb is a solid, not a liquid. Anyway, the security person called it a liquid and said that because it was over 100g I could not take it on the plane, and had to trash it. So I never even got to try it. Crushed.
http://static-resources.goodguide.net/images/entities/large/283318.jpg

Their plain chunky organic is heavenly... It's like the difference between cave aged mature cheddar and cheese wiz

aggroculture
09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
I know. I bought a jar of that when I was in the UK this summer. One of the best pbs I've ever had.

Stereo75
09-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Ok, I haven't done this in a while, but here goes.

- 1 FRESH French Baguette, cut in half. Cut each half into 1 inch cubes but keep them separated.
- Take 1/2 of the reserved bread cubes & spread them on a sheet pan & bake in the oven @ 375 until toasty.
- Meanwhile in a double boiler, melt (or carefully microwave) a few generous spoonfuls of your favorite smooth PB.
- In a mixing bowl combine toasted bread cubes & untoasted bread cubes.
- Drizzle in melted PB & toss to coat.
- Top with coarsely chopped Honey Roasted Peanuts. I also prefer a sprinkling of FRESHLY ground black pepper on top.
- Grab a fork & dig in, you big dummy!

I love making this because you get the contrast of the crunchy/chewy bread, melty PB, crunchy peanuts & the bite of the pepper. Don't forget the big ol' glass of milk. Heaven.

Baphomette
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Not to rain on the peanut butter parade but... (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/peanut-butter-recall_n_1910437.html?utm_hp_ref=food)

The large-scale recall for Trader Joe's-brand Valencia peanut butter (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/trader-joes-peanut-butter-recall_n_1906645.html), announced Saturday, now applies to nut butter sold under 14 different brand names at stores around the country, including almond butter and peanut butter with flaxseed sold under Target's in-store brand Archer Farms.

ManBurning
09-25-2012, 01:51 AM
A PB thread?? No way! I think i am addicted to Peanut Butter, I as well have PB+J toast EVERY morning, can't start the day without it.
It's totally my weakness, PB anything... PB Cookies, Cereal, crackers... Everytime I walk into a store and see a new PB item I NEED to buy it.

Found some actual Reese Peanut Butter in a jar while in Vacation in NYC this summer and I was shocked how much it actually tasted like real Reese Peanut butter cups (minus the chocolate of course).

aggroculture
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Not to rain on the peanut butter parade but... (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/peanut-butter-recall_n_1910437.html?utm_hp_ref=food)

I have a recently bought tub of exactly that PB, of which I have eaten 1/3 with no ill effects. Best be on the safe side and take it back I guess...

Halo Infinity
09-05-2013, 11:45 PM
I've grown up liking Skippy, Jif, and Peter Pan, and I still like those brands. I've always preferred creamy over chunky too. And I also always loved the typical grape jelly mix with peanut butter, preferably Welch's or Smucker's. I have also succumbed to mixing peanut butter with Nutella too. I love how it's like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup as a sandwich, and speaking of which, I still have yet to try the Reese's brand too.

Oh, and how could I forget about kare-kare? It's my favorite dish that uses peanut butter. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare-kare

Some of the recipes were also slightly different. :p

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/05/30/kare-kare-peanut-stew/

http://homecooking.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/blbeef66.htm

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kare-kare-pata-oxtail-stew/

eversonpoe
09-05-2013, 11:57 PM
oh my god, i fucking love peanut butter. mix it with chocolate and i'm in heaven. an apple with peanut butter is my #1 favorite food.

for years i was using the Jif natural creamy peanut butter, and it always tasted good, but i recently bought the TJ's natural creamy, and it blows away the jif hands down. i always really appreciate when peanut butter from a jar isn't sweet...let's save that for when it's inside candy.

Halo Infinity
09-06-2013, 12:00 AM
oh my god, i fucking love peanut butter. mix it with chocolate and i'm in heaven. an apple with peanut butter is my #1 favorite food.
Same here. And thank you for reminding me about that, because I also forgot to mention that I also like peanut butter on bananas and celery. :D

eversonpoe
09-06-2013, 12:04 AM
has anyone else had (and fallen in love with) the paul newman peanut butter cups? they come in both dark and milk chocolate, and they are ace. justin's are good, too, but i like that newman's are 3 smaller ones in a pack instead of 2 bigger ones.

scorpiusdiamond
09-06-2013, 05:21 AM
I would probably be dead if it wasn't for Peanut Butter. God I love that stuff

icklekitty
09-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Spoon in one hand, banana in the other. Jar of peanut butter on the table.

nom nom nom nom

botley
09-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Holy shit, I went BACK to Bulk Barn recently to stock up on stoner snacks for a trip to the cottage, and they have a NUT GRINDER that you can use to MAKE YOUR OWN.

eversonpoe
09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
now i have "gridner" by judas priest stuck in my head while imagining you (and gary numan) head banging and making peanut butter...

...i am really weird.

botley
09-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Fuck yeah, I bet Numan REALLY enjoys a good chunky nut butter.

ldopa
11-23-2015, 07:39 AM
peanut butter and oreos are the secret to life itself

*i was viewing who was online, and a guest was viewing this thread...HI!

a greta milkshake i s PB, kit kats, coconut, milk, and ice cream

Swykk
11-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Can we talk about how delicious cashew butter is as well? I'm also a huge PB fan as is my dog. My routine snack is cashew butter on toast with some honey and an apple sliced up to be dipped in PB.

ldopa
11-23-2015, 08:36 AM
i would most likely have to make cashew butter at home, or pay 5000 dollars (that took me 7000 tries to spell 'dollars') retail. remember when you could make fresh PB in the produce section? it's a shame such things are a memory.

Archive_Reports
11-23-2015, 10:48 AM
This is the greatest thread.

eversonpoe
11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
peanut butter and oreos are the secret to life itself

if you haven't tried them, trader joe's has "jojos" which are their version of oreos. the default is double-stuffed (they also have ones with chocolate cream, ones with vanilla cookies which are really good with or without sprucing up, and gluten-free ones).

so the regular jojos with TJ's unsalted crunchy peanut butter, dipped in almond milk. fuckin' heaven in your mouth!

also, reese's x-mas trees are delicious. so much more peanut butter than a peanut butter cup.

botley
03-02-2016, 02:52 PM
This is the greatest thread.
Always and forever.

(This morning: everything bagel, toasted, with organic chunky on top)

halloween
03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Peanut butter doesn't exist in Brasil. It's about the only thing so far that makes me miss American super markets.

At least there is paçoca...which...isn't the same...but it's still damn good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa%C3%A7oca

Edit. To be clear, I'm sure it exists SOMEWHERE and probably very expensive and imported or some shit.

eversonpoe
03-02-2016, 05:55 PM
ben & jerry's has new dairy-free flavors made with almond milk. so far i've only tried the peanut butter & cookies. so it's vanilla ice cream, "oreos", and crunchy peanut butter. and there is a LOT of peanut butter. the ice cream is fantastic, too, because it's way less sweet than normal ice cream, so i don't feel disgusting after eating it. plus, the texture is nicer. and it doesn't make me congested. i love almond milk almost as much as i love peanut butter :D

kdrcraig
03-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Pretzels and peanut butter is the greatest thing that has ever existed.

implanted_microchip
03-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Before I quit ice cream, Ben & Jerry's peanut butter cup was the greatest goddamned thing this side of the Mississippi for me. That was like my ultimate go-to depression food. Never have I felt more euphoric than when I'd sit in front of my TV alone carving a tunnel through a pint of the stuff and crying while watching stand-up comedy. It was like prostate stimulation, it felt a lot better than it sounds.

I ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch for the first time since I was a child and it was the most wonderfully indulgent food I think I've had in forever. I don't drink milk but good god, that and this coffee I order online together was like I had Guy Fierri in my mouth screaming about "flavorsplosions" or whatever dumb shit that guy yells all the time at food.

How does anyone manage crunchy peanut butter? Like, how do you handle all that roof-of-the-mouth-cutting, bread-tearing mania?

Shadaloo
03-08-2016, 12:01 PM
A jar of peanut butter and a box of dry crackers is the lazy lunch of champions.

bruised
03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
these! http://www.peanutbutter.com/product.php?id=16

kel
03-08-2016, 12:50 PM
right now i really love creamy jif on original lays potato chips.

theimage13
03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
How does anyone manage crunchy peanut butter? Like, how do you handle all that roof-of-the-mouth-cutting, bread-tearing mania?

How does anyone manage plain peanut butter? Like, how do you handle all that roof-of-the-mouth-clinging, texture-less paste?