PDA

View Full Version : Animal Collective

carpenoctem
08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Don't know how many of you guys are into Animal Collective, but they're streaming their new album (http://www.radio.myanimalhome.net/) on a radio-themed web site right now. They're pretty different from album to album, so I can see them getting a lot of new fans with this one. Anyone listening to this right now?

scantron
08-21-2012, 09:19 PM
nope........

Rdm
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
I like animal collective, but i am waiting for a better rip to listen to it.

bobbie solo
08-22-2012, 12:34 AM
My Girls is a ridiculously good song. unfortunately ive hated everything else ive heard from them. i don't get the hype, just like LCD. two bands that i just think are shit (with LCD, if i wanna listen to dance music, ill throw on some house or techno, not his garbage), but musically inclined people love.

rampface
08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow someone is actually talking about good music on this message board :p

carpenoctem
08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
nope........

lol, so it turns out my prediction that the first response to this would be "no" was correct!

My Girls is a ridiculously good song. unfortunately ive hated everything else ive heard from them. i don't get the hype, just like LCD. two bands that i just think are shit (with LCD, if i wanna listen to dance music, ill throw on some house or techno, not his garbage), but musically inclined people love.

I too am alienated by LCD. They have one song I've been totally into (Get Innocuous!) but the rest just bores me.

I also hated Animal Collective at first. Like, couldn't sit through an entire song, and had no desire to. Now they've been my favorite band for almost three years, replacing Nine Inch Nails (:(). That being said, even I don't care for some of their releases (especially the early experimental noise stuff). At least one of their albums is irreconcilable garbage, and I don't say that lightly.

Highly Psychological
08-22-2012, 10:40 PM
The only thing i really love related to this group was Person Pitch which was just Noah's solo project from 2007.
I think they interesting and really good at times, but some people are fucking crazy obsessive over this group. Held in extremely high regard, which is a bit much....
They veer off into something boring and go a bit overindulgent a tad too much for me
They just seem like an electronic version of Mercury Rev, which is as good as it sounds.But they have some really cool moment.

BlueCalx
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
nope........

Thanks for nothing, shitheel. If you totally hate Animal Collective, either write up an entertaining dismissal or stay the hell out.

Centipede Hz isn't really doing it for me. It sounds like they used a lot of ~*production*~ and noise to hide that the songs are half-finished. Before I started listening to Animal Collective, I'd heard the reputation and was expecting a lot of intimidating, patience-trying noise experiments. This release is actually pretty conservative - get back on that noise shit!

xmd 5a
08-25-2012, 07:37 PM
That being said, even I don't care for some of their releases (especially the early experimental noise stuff).

The early stuff (specifically the first album) is about the only sound I've been able to get into from the band. I've periodically tried other stuff from across their career but nothing else quite captures the haunting, disorienting feel of "Spirit They've Vanished". I'm not going to write them off yet though.

rampface
08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I litterally love everything they've done and think each release is better than the last. One of the few bands that I never get sick of EVER. Each album in their discog is just so different that it all sounds fresh. This is the only band that matters to me at this point

carpenoctem
08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
This release is actually pretty conservative - get back on that noise shit!

Yeah, this is easily the most likable of their records, and it's not hard to understand. Even more so than their last record, this is a good entry point to the band. But unfortunately they won't be going back to their earlier stuff; they only move forward, and laterally.

The early stuff (specifically the first album) is about the only sound I've been able to get into from the band. I've periodically tried other stuff from across their career but nothing else quite captures the haunting, disorienting feel of "Spirit They've Vanished". I'm not going to write them off yet though.

Yes, that's such a great album! It's weird because it's so fully-formed and with soundly structured songs for a first album, and then for their next three or four they became completely inscrutable, like their music wasn't even written by the same people. You would expect it to be the opposite. Anyway, try Here Comes the Indian for more dark/haunting atmosphere (though it's very loose and nothing on it resembles what you might call a "song") and if you want both, try the Fall Be Kind EP or tracks 7 and 8 of Centipede Hz.

I litterally love everything they've done and think each release is better than the last. One of the few bands that I never get sick of EVER. Each album in their discog is just so different that it all sounds fresh. This is the only band that matters to me at this point

Me too! I anticipate moving on from them as a favorite band in the next year or two (because it's already been three years and I get tired of things), but I appreciate how rich and diverse they are, it's easy to stay hooked on them when there's so much to choose from and discover.

rampface
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I disagree about Danse Manatee, Hollinndagain, Campfire Songs, and Here Comes the Indian not having "songs". Danse has Essplode, Ahhh Good Country, Meet the Light Child, and In the Singing Box. Hollinndagain has I See You Pan, Pride and Fight, Forest Gospel, and Lablacely Dress. Campfire Songs has Doggy, De Soto De Son, and Queen in My Pictures. Here Comes the Indian has Slippi, Hey Light, Native Bell, and Too Soon. The songs are there. They're just not convential and maybe take time for the melodies to present themselves and to grasp the structure. That's the best thing about Anco. It's not easy but you get rewarded in the end.

Jinsai
08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
so far I've only made it through the first song, but I can't understand how that track wasn't intentionally trying to sound obnoxious. It's so hyperactive and cluttered...

carpenoctem
08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
I guess it would be obnoxious to someone who doesn't like hyperactive, cluttered music. I, on the other hand...

rampface
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
It's really not that cluttered. And you would think a NIN fan would be able to comprehend this barrage of sounds

Jinsai
08-26-2012, 06:27 PM
It's really not that cluttered. And you would think a NIN fan would be able to comprehend this barrage of sounds

really people, quit with the "NIN fan" thing. I know this is a Nine Inch Nails board, but I don't really even listen to NIN that much anymore.

The synths and textures in this don't sound deliberate, they sound clumsy. That works for me in noise music, but as soon as you throw in a vocal element or pop structure, it irritates me. Each to their own. Outside of a few tracks I've never been able to get into their albums. I keep giving them a listen though.

bobbie solo
08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
really people, quit with the "NIN fan" thing. I know this is a Nine Inch Nails board...

oh come ON dude.

Jinsai
08-27-2012, 01:21 AM
oh come ON dude.

I don't know if you're being serious, but just because I like Nine Inch Nails and I'm posting on this board doesn't mean anything really. It gets tired. This is the section of the board that has nothing to do with NIN. I hardly ever post in the NIN portion of the board because I really don't care that much about it.

This is the section of the board that really doesn't have anything to do with Nine Inch Nails... so yeah, it gets a little tired when you can't even say something completely unrelated, like "the new AC isn't winning me over," without someone saying "as a NIN fan I'd expect you to appreciate it."

And to update my opinion, there's a couple songs on the Centipede Hz that I like (or at least don't actively dislike), but for the most part this does nothing for me except either make me feel indifferent or annoyed. It's strange for me, because when I read a review or look at what Animal Collective is about... on paper, it sounds like exactly what I want to hear.

Rdm
08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
New leak of 320 and it sounds miles better than the web rip. :o

100 post celebration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carpenoctem
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Yep, I just got it too!! I already pre-ordered the CD from Domino's website so I have no compunction about getting the high-quality leak a week early. I am so prepared to have my mind blown right now.

thefragile_jake
10-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Centipede Hz is without a doubt amazing, to me it feels more like a sequel to Strawberry Jam (one of my favorite records of all time) moreso than a follow up to Merriweather Post Pavillion. I mean, it still sounds like Animal Collective to me but much more hyper and energetic whereas MPP kind of was a little more laid back.

I hate how people are saying this one is more "difficult" to get into, if you've loved the band before the MPP hype you should have no problem sinking your teeth into some Centipede Hz.

neorev
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I was never really an Animal Collective fan to be honest
but Centipede Hz is an amazing album and so far my favorite thing that they have done and currently one of my most played albums at the moment

carpenoctem
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Yep. It's so good. I hate to be obvious, since I'm already an AC fanboy, but it's my AOTY no question.

Collin
10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah it's really strange. I always kinda thought MPP was a bit overrated, now I'm feeling that CHZ is underrated. Maybe I just look for different things in their music.

Choaralaone
10-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Amazing band, I don't care for the more experimental works... Here comes the Indian for example.

Strawberry Jam is incredible and I think its there best album and best place for new listeners to start. It's a really a beautiful album that runs from noisy/dark to sweet to kind of silly, can't recommend it enough. MPPP is a great album but is overrated. Centipede Hz is a much more complex work. Sung tongs was very good if somewhat all over place. Awesome band in any case.

thefragile_jake
10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Amazing band, I don't care for the more experimental works... Here comes the Indian for example.

Strawberry Jam is incredible and I think its there best album and best place for new listeners to start. It's a really a beautiful album that runs from noisy/dark to sweet to kind of silly, can't recommend it enough. MPPP is a great album but is overrated. Centipede Hz is a much more complex work. Sung tongs was very good if somewhat all over place. Awesome band in any case.

I'm generally in favor of anything they do, I like when a band tries to experiment and with new sound textures and avant garde releases so Here Comes the Indian and Campfire Songs are fun for those reasons but yes Strawberry Jam is just incredible. It was actually the first record I had heard from them back when it leaked in 2007 and I had no idea what to make of it, I eventually came to love it though as with most of their releases. MPP as you mentioned is great but I think everyone's huge praise for the record gives it a bad wrap, it is really worth the hype but it's just a much more chilled record from them. I mean, songs like Summertime Clothes still give me goosebumps and make me want to dance around.

When I saw the band last year at Pitchfork Music Festival, all of the Centipede Hz stuff sounded incredible live and it even sounds just as good on record. I really hope they do a full 2013 tour, I need to see these guys again.

What does everyone think of ODDSAC? It's obviously really experimental but parts of it actually remind me of Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain.
Both are super good films in my opinion.

thefragile_jake
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Double post! Ha.

I'm seeing them again for a second time a month from now and Dan Deacon is opening...that show is going to blow my mind. I still think Centipede was criminally underrated.

I wonder if they're going to put out an EP this year of album outtakes in the way that Fall Be Kind followed MPP and Water Curses followed Strawberry Jam.

kel
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
i'm not a fan. i'll see them in a few weeks at treefort, though. what's this band like live?

carpenoctem
02-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Double post! Ha.

I'm seeing them again for a second time a month from now and Dan Deacon is opening...that show is going to blow my mind. I still think Centipede was criminally underrated.

I wonder if they're going to put out an EP this year of album outtakes in the way that Fall Be Kind followed MPP and Water Curses followed Strawberry Jam.

Centipede was criminally underrated. Don't worry, everyone will rediscover it in a few years and then articles will be written where they'll pretend like they're the first ones to realize how awesome it was.

A traditional follow-up EP is highly unlikely, as the only tracks that didn't make the album have already been released ("Honeycomb" b/w "Gotham" last summer, "Crimson" as the B-side for the "Applesauce" single). It's crazy though, I love Centipede Hz, but those songs were somehow actually better. Even their B-sides kick ass.

neorev
02-28-2013, 08:39 PM
i was never really a fan of them, but centipede hz blew me away
i think i posted something like this already on this tread, but that's how much i love this album...
i fucking love this album :)
the production and performance on this one is just great, my fave release from 'em.

thefragile_jake
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Centipede was criminally underrated. Don't worry, everyone will rediscover it in a few years and then articles will be written where they'll pretend like they're the first ones to realize how awesome it was.

A traditional follow-up EP is highly unlikely, as the only tracks that didn't make the album have already been released ("Honeycomb" b/w "Gotham" last summer, "Crimson" as the B-side for the "Applesauce" single). It's crazy though, I love Centipede Hz, but those songs were somehow actually better. Even their B-sides kick ass.

That's the way I feel Centipede is going to go, I think people were expecting another MPP type of record but to me Centipede Hz sounds like the follow up to Strawberry Jam...which is my favorite from them. I don't see why people thought it Hz sounded so left field from them either, if you have been following their work from Sung Tongs to Feels to SJ...it's seems like a pretty natural flow.

I will agree with you about Honeycomb, that song was amazing. Especially live. Seems like most of the material they worked on during the Centipede sessions I'm a huge fan of.

i'm not a fan. i'll see them in a few weeks at treefort, though. what's this band like live?

Honestly if you're not into them too much, I'm not sure how you'll feel about them live. It seems the setlists have been pretty standard lately with them doing most of Centipede and a couple songs from MPP and SJ, they do My Girls still which I'm surprised at.

Normally the band has a tendacy to play another new material, meaning songs from the newest record as well as testing out new material for future records. When I saw them in 2011, it was mostly a set comprised of Centipede Hz material...but I'm incredibly into this band that the new songs were blowing my mind even then.

thefragile_jake
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Tour has been postponed due to Avey not being able to shake off his horrible strep throat.

To all of the AC fans out there. I feel its best you hear it right from the horses mouth. It kills me to have to postpone all these shows and it's something I could never even have imagined happening. I'm positive that we were as excited as you all to visit all of your towns and have a good time together. But because of the strain on my voice that's being caused by an inten...se case of strep throat, I am unable to play any of these shows. Unfortunately, I wasn't diagnosed soon enough and haven't been able to kick this in the right amount of time. We promise you all that we are doing everything we can to reschedule all these shows asap and we will be visiting your cities. We hope you can all understand and sympathize with the situation. It's been really fun for all of us to be playing these days and the energy you all give us makes us want to take it further and further with you and give it right back. Hopefully, we can continue to do this together soon. Until then. Stay Well.

The following tour dates are postponed and will be rescheduled as soon as possible:

3/17/13 - Madison, WI @ Orpheum Theatre
3/18/13 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
3/20/13 - St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant
3/21/13 - Kansas City, MO @ Midland Theater
3/22/13 - Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
3/23/13 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
3/24/13 - Boise, ID @ Treefort Festival

What a shame too, I was really looking forward to the show this Wednesday. :(

thefragile_jake
11-30-2015, 12:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2ssNnA_Es

CANNOT WAIT!

http://i0.wp.com/media.giphy.com/media/3AIWph8KSF3l6/giphy.gif

neorev
05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Animal Collective have released two live albums to benefit Progress NC, a charity that hopes to keep North Carolina progressive and is actively working to have House Bill 2 reversed. They are available on Bandcamp on a pay-what-you-want model.

http://anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/ (http://forum.funkysouls.com/go.php?http://anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/)

neorev
11-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Animal Collective has released a track called "Mountain Game" that they wrote for the video game Red Dead Redemption back in 2010 that was never used.
I quite like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mDpPPBL51s

I purchased it off 7digital.com in lossless. It's also on streaming sites like Spotify.