PDA

View Full Version : Antiviral - Cronenberg's son's first feature!

NIN64
08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Looks just a fucked up as his dad. Can't wait!

http://youtu.be/XIZb50HiBCo

dlb
08-09-2012, 05:12 PM
looks great, but it has a pretty shitty rating on imdb right now. 4,5 is not really something that has me excited, but I think I'll check it out anyway.

Oh, and Malcom McDowell! :D

NIN64
08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
looks great, but it has a pretty shitty rating on imdb right now. 4,5 is not really something that has me excited, but I think I'll check it out anyway.

Oh, and Malcom McDowell! :D

Fuck IMDB. 53 people on the internet down-voted movie that hasn't come out yet. . .

dlb
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Well it opened at Cannes so some people have seen it. I don't usually care about ratings as well, but 4,5 really IS low. Other reviews on the net so far are not as devastating though.

hellospaceboy
08-13-2012, 09:06 PM
While in general I have no problem when kids following in their parents footsteps, I think Brandon trapped himself with his debut.

It's okay for him to make a horror movie, there's enough range in the genre for both of them, but to come out with a movie that ties so closely into his father's body horror themes was a mistake. Simply because David Cronenberg created works that are considered classics, and Brandon can't expect us not to compare them...

On the other hand, I'll watch it, it looks interesting enough.

Hazekiah
08-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Saw this advertised on Redbox kiosks recently and finally tracked it down after checking multiple locations for a couple weeks.

Not the greatest feature film debut ever but it was certainly decent enough.

And there is absolutely NO mistaking that Brandon Cronenberg is definitely his father's son, lol. I don't wanna spoil anything but I really loved all the world-building stuff about fame and religion and delis and skin grafts and tabloid TV and all that stuff. I wasn't really too impressed by the movie for the first twenty minutes or so but once it got deeper into exploring that world I felt like it got really interesting.

The lead actor's pretty good, too...I'd be curious to see him in something where he's given more to do than constantly glare and pout and look sick, ffs.

Overall, I'd say it's worth watching but that a mid-level rating is pretty fair. Anyone who's a fan of the writer/director's father's body of body-horror work should find plenty to enjoy in Antiviral and it looks like a pretty promising start to this guy's career. Should be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Anyway.

TL;DR version: It's at Redboxes now and worth at least a buck-fifty or w/e.