PDA

View Full Version : The Shining prequel

Ryan
08-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm torrenting the part I put in bold now... should be a good watch.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/7393816/Shining-prequel-in-the-works

Based on Stephen King's novel of the same name, critics have attributed much of The Shining's success to its notoriously vague plotlines.
The incongruent twists, spine-chilling ghouls, blood-spattered elevators and that frickin photo of Jack Torrance at a 1920s party at the end of the film has sparked discussions so extensive that a documentary has even been made about the cult classic's questions.
It's called Room 237and attempts to deconstruct the chilling horror story's hidden meaning.
Anyway, it's too difficult to get philosophical about whether the film's questions are bigger than the film itself and blah blah blah, but, interestingly, Warner Bros. are apparently creating a filmic prequel that may explain some of The Shining's mystery.

According to The LA Times, the film is happening but is "not even formally in development" yet.
The prequel will be written by Shutter Island's (and less relevantly, Avatar's) Laeta Kalogridis, and The Amazing Spider-Man's writer, James Vanderblit will co-produce with Bradley Fischer.
Currently, not much has been revealed about the plot - no Redrum chanting or Here's Johnny renditions have been confirmed - but the movie will delve into the chilling history of the Overlook Hotel before Jack Torrance, his wife and psychic five-year-old-son inhabited the haunted (or is it?) grounds.
Some argue that this may kill the film's transience, but personally, I've been waiting years for answers. Yes please!
Also in the works is a sequel to Stephen King's bestselling 1977 novel. King has revealed that he has been working on a follow-up on the life of Jack Torrance's extrasensory son,
Danny, who now, as a 40-year-old man, works in hospice in upstate New York and embarks on a mission to save a 12-year-old-girl from a tribe of murderous (kind of vampire-esque) beings. According to the book's synopsis, she has the "brightest shining" he's ever seen. Creepy!

S. Chonson
08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm intrigued.

xmd 5a
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
The sequel book sounds interesting but without Kubrick's vision I don't see the prequel film living up in any way to the original. Still, I'll keep as open a mind as I can about it pending further information.

Wretchedest
08-03-2012, 11:11 PM
ASIDE from the fact that theyre trying to add to a movie directed by Stanley Kubrick, which makes anything facepalm territory... theres also the fact that this is a very late addition.

The Shining stands up very well on its own. If something cones out that acts as a HERE'S WHAT REALLY HAPPENED its not going to be well recieved.

imail724
08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Terrible, terrible idea.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
08-04-2012, 04:00 AM
but, interestingly
Read: cynically, uncreatively.

Warner Bros. are apparently creating a filmic prequel that may explain some of The Shining's mystery.
I don't think they understand how this works. The mystery is inherent in the original movie; coming over 30 years later with a prequel under a new crew top-to-bottom and an entirely different Hollywood environment and saying 'HEY GUYS ANSWERS!' isn't shedding light on the mystery of The Shining, it's basically studio-sanctioned fan-fiction.

What I'd be more interested to see is if and when Warner Bros is scheduled to lose their feature film rights to the property. It wouldn't be surprising to find that this is an issue related to or entirely motivated by rights, just as the new Spider-Man only really exists to prevent Sony from losing their Spider-Man rights which would then revert back to Marvel/Disney.